vincent
4th February 2005, 06:30 PM
VIDYASAGAR- MALAREA MAUNAMA (KARNA)
NEE KATRE NAN MARAM (NILAVEA VAA)
NOORANDUKKE ORUMURAI (THAIYIN MANIKODI)
POOVASAM PURAPADUM (ANBEA SIVAM)
ORE MANAM (VILLAIN)
MAZHAI KATRE (VEDHAM)

AR RAHMAN -MALARGALEA MALARGALEA (LOVE BIRDS)
MELLISAYEA (MR. ROMEO)
KATREA YEN VAASAL (RHYTHM)
NAALAI ULAGAM (LOVE BIRDS)
KOOLIRUTHE KOOLIRUTHE (TAJ MAHAL)
ANARKALI (KK SEI)
UDAYA UDAYA (UDAYA)

jaiganes
6th February 2005, 12:51 PM
A.R.Rahman has superior recording skills and he takes more time to embellish any melody he creates, So whenever he comes up with a slow song, he ends up making it a song to remember.

rajan
6th February 2005, 01:52 PM
Hi!

ARR is a master and technical wizard, no doubt... but melody is for the heart and vidyasagar is gaining there !! :D

dinesh2002
6th February 2005, 08:14 PM
yo guys...plzz plzz...ARRahman is unbeatable in any ground..melody,u missed a few great numbers from ARR

1.Kanakku Mai Azhagu - Pudhiya Mugam
2.Poorale Ponnethayi - Karuthamma
3.Ennavale - Kadhalan
4.Kannalane - Bombay
5.Pookodiyin - Iruvar
6.Thoda Thoda - Indira
7.Kolaiyile - Kadhalan
8.Sevvanam - Pavithra

rajan
6th February 2005, 09:54 PM
Hi Dinesh!

ARR is certainly good ! but the topic is melody duets !

ARR gives importance to beats (thalam poda vaikkirar) while VS prefers soft..soft..soft.. :) (kannai mooda vaikirar)

slperson1
6th February 2005, 10:12 PM
Melody rahman is way ahead of Vidhyasagar. I point you to Kannathil Muthamittal, Vellai Pookal, Kalayadhinamam, Thai Sonna Thalattu, Thendrale, songs listed by Dhinesh and many more. As for duets there are many that beat Vidhayasagars IMO.

1) Pudhuvellai - ROJA
2) En Veetu Thotathil - GENTLEMEN
3) Putham Pudhu Boomi - THIRUDA THIRUDA
4) En Mel Vizhundhu Mazhali Thuliye - MAY MADHAM
5) Chittirai Nilavu - VANDICHOLAI SINARASU
6) Kadhale Nee Enna Seivaiyo - RANGEELA
7) Malargale & Nalai Ulagam - LOVE BIRDS
8 ) Narumugaiye - IRUVAR
9) Vennilave - MINSARA KANAVU
10 ) En Kadhal Nerupai - OTTAM
11) Poovukul - JEANS
12) Thirukathu Kootukoola - EN SWASA KATRE
13) Snehidhane - ALAI PAYUTHEY
14) Kannamoochi - KANDUKONDAIN x 2
15) Katre En Vaasal - RHYTHM
16) Azhage Sugama - PARTHALE PARAVASAM
17) Sonnalum - KADHAL VIRUS
18 ) Udhaya Udhaya - UDHAYA
19) En Uyir Thozhiye - KKS

dinesh2002
7th February 2005, 08:40 AM
yea man...u just see the list...i think u guys just cant accept tat ARR CAN DO melody music..pitty...he cant be famouse with only doing fast beats numbers!!!he needs melody support his existance..i will come up with more list..which has soft beats & amazing melody!!

vincent
8th February 2005, 02:53 PM
hey guys! i did't talk about melody songs! i juz ask u all about MELODY DUETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slperson1
8th February 2005, 06:53 PM
that is why i listed melody duets of ARR

vincent
9th March 2005, 04:27 PM
VIDYASAGAR'S LATEST SOFT DUETS
ENNAI THANTHIDUVEAN [CHATHURAGGAM]
DING DONG [JI]
BY THE WAY WHERE'S ARR???

Music4Ever
9th March 2005, 09:07 PM
"Where's ARR?"

In Vidyasagar's tunes, perhaps?

dinesh2002
10th March 2005, 03:48 PM
my dear,arrahman is busy in hindi,he has great melody there

Hum Hai Iss pal yahan - Kisna

listen to this song & u know where is vidyasagar...he cant compose a song like that in any time!!

interz
10th March 2005, 07:31 PM
IF you listened to the songs vidyasagar composed in Malayalam youll change your mind

kbee
10th March 2005, 08:40 PM
Hey

I am IR fan, but would like to say this.

ARR melody means very dull songs - with out any music or using minimum instruments. It may feel melody but you can not repeat the songs. E.g.

Uyire Uyire from Bombay
En Kadhalae En Kadhale from Duet

Give me any melody by ARR where you can see some instruments.

VS melody is energetic

Aasai Aasai
Poo vaasam

Give me 1 ARR song where it is melody and he used instruments.

ARR is good for RAP and western type songs. Nothing else. Period.

VS is good for variety, from melody to rap to western to fusion (watch his performance in Singapore and you will be amazed with the intro fusion song)

Vazhipokkan
10th March 2005, 09:49 PM
Before becoming Top notch MD, VS scored music for Uyirodu Uyiraga which has some good melodies with variety

1. Poovukellam Sirugu Mulainthathu KK and Srini

2. Anbe Anbe Nee En Pillai Hariharan and Sujatha

Rahmanish but very hummable

Jacky
11th March 2005, 01:51 AM
kbee,
If poo vasam is an energetic melody then here's my list by ARR
1. Vennilavey
2. Snehidhaney
3. Pennala Pennala
4. Thirakadha Kattukulle
5. Kathu Kathu - Uzhavan
There are some more songs but no wasting time if i can find a correlation between your first and last but one sentence.

alias
11th March 2005, 02:19 AM
AR Rahman all the way

kbee
11th March 2005, 02:42 AM
Jacky

it gets complicated when you get into the details of the instruments used and the ragas handled. So I will stop it here.

For ARR fans, ARR is all the way

For VS fans, VS is all the way

curryleaf
11th March 2005, 08:05 AM
VS all the way!!!!

I could never get tired of his songs, and when I go back to it after a major break of not listening to his songs, it still feels fresh and sweet...

But with ARR... It gives me a nauseating feeling...

*Shudder*

vincent
11th March 2005, 08:37 AM
FOR ME BOTH OF THEM ARE GREAT.
BUT VS IS MY CHOICE B'COZ OF ONE SONG
MALAREA MOUNAMA FROM KARNA

dinesh2002
11th March 2005, 07:17 PM
malare mounama is a nothing but pudhu vellai mazhai - roja... ok va???

what u mean no instruments in arrahman song??

listen to enna kanavillaye - kadhal desam...goodnes..it manage to make many people cry for the song...btw...have u 4gotten his amazing kannaku mai azhagu?? ok ... lets do this...gimme a powerful list from vs which u claim to be better than ARRahman...atleast 20...i will give u Arr's best 20...yes,include his malayalam,telugu or wht eva language u think he composed the best..shall we start???lets no debate and let the song speaks for it self!!!

Music4Ever
11th March 2005, 09:31 PM
What is it about ARR that makes people go over the top positively or adversely? Here are some facts:

1) Vidyasagar made his entry into TFM around 1989, three full years ahead of ARR.
2) It was not until about 1996 or so that VS started making his mark in TFM.
3) There may have been some melodies by VS before his second innings but I believe only the melodies after 1996 made him popular. (Please correct me if I am wrong here.) ARR was kicking ass by this time.
4) Some of his melodies (e.g. Poo vasam purappadum penne nee poo varaindhal) have haunting interludes that are wholly due to ARR's influence in TFM. It took VS about ten full years to provide the kind of interludes which ARR excelled from the start of his career. Just imagine that song without those interludes, but with mridangam or tabla instead. The song itself is nice but the interludes are the icing on the cake. In other words, ARR's influence was definitely there in Vs's soft melodies too.
5) If VS melodies were indeed that remarkable, he should have been able to compete with IR, which he didn't. (IR was still going strong around 1989 when his Varusham padhinaaru songs were super duper hits.)

So, although VS is very good in melody making, he is still at most on par with ARR, if one wants to be charitable.

Now let us compare songs. For every VS melody, one can easily produce a lilting ARR melody. And much more ....

1) Poo vasam purappadum penne versus Santhipoma iruvarum santhipoma. Both are equally pleasant to listen to.
2) Aasai aasai appozhudhu versus Jannal katragi vaa jarigai poovagi vaa. Both are equally enthralling.
3) Un samayal araiyil naan uppa sakkaraya versus Endhan vaanin kaadhal nilave. Both are equally gripping.

Give me one VS song that can equal

Nenjil jil jil jil jil ... kannathil muthamittal

Other ARR melodies:

1) Vellai pookal
2) Sonnalum ketpadhillai
3) Edho edho ondru enakkule nuzhaindhu
4) Oru poiyavadhu sol kanne
5) Chotta chotta nanaiyudhu
6) Porale ponnu thayee
7) En uyir thozhiye

I can go on and on, but I hope I have made my point.

VS has blotted his copy book recently by producing many crap dabba songs. Give ARR some respect on this point. He has diligently maintained his standards.

vincent
12th March 2005, 07:17 AM
but vs is back in his own track
with JI (ding dong)

curryleaf
12th March 2005, 12:02 PM
I'm beginning to feel that Thamizh paattu had lost it's luster...

It sounds too westernized now, along with full of crap lyrics.

dinesh2002
12th March 2005, 03:05 PM
yea man..the lyrics were crap ever since thiruda thirudi came in the field...since then....apadi podu,pottu takku,umma ummamaa all came...untill today's thirupatchi's album!!

Jambu Paran
12th March 2005, 03:57 PM
Just one song....

Yenkaathale, yenkaathalae yennai yenna seiya pogirai from Duet....

the best nothing but the best!

kbee
12th March 2005, 07:09 PM
enna kanavillaye is a classic example why ARR is not suitable for situational song. It is more suitable for "jolly" type of song. rendering of the song by the singer and the lyrics made it like a melodies, but otherwise, it is not at all a romantic melody

kannukku mei ezhuthu - where are the instruments?

dinesh2002
12th March 2005, 08:18 PM
enna kanavillaye is a classic example why ARR is not suitable for situational song. It is more suitable for "jolly" type of song. rendering of the song by the singer and the lyrics made it like a melodies, but otherwise, it is not at all a romantic melody

kannukku mei ezhuthu - where are the instruments?

my dear....thats his speaciality..he can use a jolly music to compose a melodious song...can Vs do that??it will end up beeing like Gilli's songs...lol

btw...is there a song name kannku mei ezhutu?????????? :shock:
as i know kannuku mai azhagu i know la....brother...go listen to the song 1st..this shows u have ignored the song....listen to it...i

Music4Ever
12th March 2005, 09:13 PM
"Unnai kanavillaye netrodu is a 'jolly' type of song"

Good joke.

Perhaps Thiruttu rascal, singara kappa kezhange, gundu gundu gundu ponnu (never mind if it is a part lift from ottagatha kattikko), elandha pazham elandha pazham enakkuthan, etc are situational type, full of meaning, totally indigeneous, completely tamil, and, to top it all, also jolly. They are romantic and melodious too, one should not forget.

Kashtam da.

curryleaf
13th March 2005, 12:25 AM
Dinesh2002

Thamizh songs been crappy even before Thiruda Thirudi...

There are some songs that are so awful... So horrible!

dinesh2002
13th March 2005, 07:47 AM
yes pa...but it was controlable....but after TT....all out of control!!

curryleaf
13th March 2005, 02:31 PM
I dont agree...

Take the "Kaathal website" song from Dheena...

"Acupuncture needle-a? Turkey chicken noodle-a?"

What the hell was the lyricist smoking at the time???

aravindthegreat
15th March 2005, 12:19 AM
I'm new to this site..and just by chance i got to read about this discussin on who is the best ARR or VS. i'm not a frequent listener of tamil songs ..but i have herd some of them..and it was not becasue i had interest in this site, i registered myself as a member..it was just B'cause i wanna tell this..
VS has done some really good scores in tamil as well as in malayalam...but i really dont think u can even compare him ARR.
It doesnt matter who uses the most instruments and stuff like that...the only thing it matters..is the song itself....
there is huge list of melodious duets songs by ARR...and none of the songs of VS has come up to that level...
I really feel ARR is 100 times better than VS

aruvi
15th March 2005, 01:35 PM
I don't know if I could ever choose between oru raathiri koodi(mallu) and uyire uyire. Both of them have done some excellent melodies.

vincent
30th March 2005, 02:32 PM
Just one song....

Yenkaathale, yenkaathalae yennai yenna seiya pogirai from Duet....

the best nothing but the best!
APPADI
I CAN SAY NOTHING
B'COZ THE SONG THAT U MENTIONED
IS THE BEST EVER MELODY SONG FROM ARR

vincent
30th March 2005, 02:33 PM
BUT GUYZ MALAREA MOUNAMA
SONG HAS WIN THE SONG OF THE DECADE AWARD
ITHUKKE ENNA SOLRINGGE??????? :|

alias
30th March 2005, 09:29 PM
vincent, what about Ennavale, that is the song of the century?

Sudalai
30th March 2005, 11:02 PM
vincent, what about Ennavale, that is the song of the century?

no alias.. it is song of the AD.. ;-)