PDA

View Full Version : Tech passed onto TFM by ARR

jaaze
7th February 2005, 06:09 PM
U know Arr was one of the first to use the"Tremolo effect" in songs.

The songs he used it in are:
1- Girlfriend (boys)
2. Theekuruvi (kks) when mukesh sings eh.... and his voice is cut
3. Dol Dol (ae) the most easiest example to understand what the effect is about

and is used by other mds like ysr in manmadan, 7grc and vijay antony in sukran

wat do u feel about this technology? does it make the song cool or irritating?

RR
7th February 2005, 07:47 PM
To me, it just sounds like a gimmick..
BTW, what'e the 'Daft Funk' kind of effect ARR used in Parthaale Paravasam, called?

sad
7th February 2005, 07:48 PM
as long as i know it can be heard in the title song kannathil muthamittal...

sad
7th February 2005, 07:55 PM
listen to 2:00 of kannathil muthamittal...
there are more... towards the ending part the tremolo effect can be found...

C~P
8th February 2005, 12:34 PM
I personally feel that the Tremolo effect, as the name suggests, is very effective.

jaaze
4th March 2009, 06:41 PM
I personally feel that the Tremolo effect, as the name suggests, is very effective.

now that the technology is used so commonly, there would be more examples,

and it has become a standard in most songs :wink:

jaiganes
4th March 2009, 07:07 PM
biggest tech of ARR IMO is to make very average singers sound extremely super in his songs.

rajasaranam
4th March 2009, 07:12 PM
http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2008/11/tremolo.html :notworthy:

jaaze
4th March 2009, 07:42 PM
Wonderful analysis. I think not many know this kind of technology existed pre 90's

But when talking about this particular effect passed onto TFM by ARR, this one seems to be more of synthesiser / computer based effect, this can be achieved nowadays even with a simple computer (I could do it too :) ) and I think it differs slightly from the one you have mentioned.

But to make it sound great and not cacaphonic, it has to blend with the "tremolo - making" skills as well as the original music of the song

ARR remains the first to introduce this effect on voice in TFI, as can be heard in the start of the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nGgnqKuMto

crajkumar_be
4th March 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks! Another myth busted. In fact, i had posted in the Last Song Heard thread sometime back about a song "Kanni Ilam" from an obscure movie Aayiram Nilave Va perhaps from the early 80s, in which Raaja sizzles with the use of a tremolo bar or whammy bar to give an aeroplane sound in the bass guitar.

jaaze
4th March 2009, 08:03 PM

மிகவும் சரியாகவே கூறியுள்ளேன் . :)

shocker
5th March 2009, 12:27 AM
This is not really tremolo
I think it is more of a stuttering effect, and yep it's cool, it is these kind of new experiments that set AR out.
And of course the rest of the industry follow.

thamizhvaanan
7th March 2009, 07:06 PM

1- Girlfriend (boys)

these are not the traditional tremolo, I m not even sure whether it can be called so. Well, the effect is called chop in fruity loops, its pretty easy to do.. even I ve tried it, you just write some chords and apply the effect.. it chops the chord into shorter time peices.

Examples would be Fanaa and Aaha thamizhamma from KKS. You just write a melody and the only decision to make is whether the chop should be 1/4th, 1/8th etc.,

thineshan54321
7th March 2009, 11:06 PM

1- Girlfriend (boys)

these are not the traditional tremolo, I m not even sure whether it can be called so. Well, the effect is called chop in fruity loops, its pretty easy to do.. even I ve tried it, you just write some chords and apply the effect.. it chops the chord into shorter time peices.

Examples would be Fanaa and Aaha thamizhamma from KKS. You just write a melody and the only decision to make is whether the chop should be 1/4th, 1/8th etc.,

its the same concept thamizhvannan. in an orchestra, the tremelo effect is just a chord played in shorter intervals. for example, take a c major chord and instead of playing it for an entire bar, the composer chops it up into minute pieces, which is like u said, 1/4. 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and even 1/64. chop is a plugin in fruity loops that imitates this. what should be appreciated is the way arr applied to voices and other instruments whereas primarily it was an effect mostly for strings.

thamizhvaanan
8th March 2009, 12:32 AM
Yes! Using the technique is just a sidenote, how it is used is the actual show. Like you said, in Aaha thamizhamma he applied it to the tune of Kummi adi penney song.

Does anyone remember instances where he used it on Live instruments, like IR used in thalapathy song?

thineshan54321
8th March 2009, 02:02 AM
Yes! Using the technique is just a sidenote, how it is used is the actual show. Like you said, in Aaha thamizhamma he applied it to the tune of Kummi adi penney song.

Does anyone remember instances where he used it on Live instruments, like IR used in thalapathy song?

one thing about arr is that he tries to stay away from things done by IR. altho IR invented the sounds of folk, village type songs, ARR did not use any elements from it and completely reinvented and reinterpreted what he saw as folk and so came songs like aathangara maramae, nee kattum sela, senthamizh naatu etc etc. the point of this thread is to point out some tech based effects that ARR first introduced to TFM.

also he did use tremelo on real instruments in china china aasai. it wasnt strings but i think it was a mandolin or something. check it out.

jaaze
8th March 2009, 02:02 PM
TV, this effect is known as Tremolo in the software Audacity that I use.

However, advanced softwares provide better use and control over this Tremolo effect

shocker
8th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Audacity is a good free software. It has enough functionality for the average home enthusiast.
One thing I would like to point out, I think that tremolo and the chopping stuttering, whatever you'd like to call it, are not the same. Tremolo is like a vibrating effect, which is due to volume fluctuation.(not to be confused with Vibrato). It is not the effect used in Ayutha Eluthu or Boys. This effect actually mutes or cuts the audio at time intervals. Some filters and gates can achieve this effect. Filters work by cutting out certain frequencies, and gates work by cutting out at certain volumes. Both can be adjusted to achieve the same overall effect however.
Thanks

thamizhvaanan
15th March 2009, 02:11 AM

one thing about arr is that he tries to stay away from things done by IR. altho IR invented the sounds of folk, village type songs, ARR did not use any elements from it and completely reinvented and reinterpreted what he saw as folk and so came songs like aathangara maramae, nee kattum sela, senthamizh naatu etc etc. the point of this thread is to point out some tech based effects that ARR first introduced to TFM.

also he did use tremelo on real instruments in china china aasai. it wasnt strings but i think it was a mandolin or something. check it out.

Just re-visited thirakaadha song from ESK. The violin prelude and interlude (2nd), doesn't it use this effect to an extent?

Btwn, what a song it is! The solo violin in first interlude now sounds like celtic music to me now, I thought its a recent addition to Rahman's music, but he has used it already.. almost a decade ago.

ajaybaskar
15th March 2009, 09:05 AM
One of the most under-rated ARR song...

jaaze
15th March 2009, 09:19 AM
One of the most under-rated ARR song...

:shock: I love it. Had so beautiful melodies, though from outside it looks very simple