PDA

View Full Version : TR Mahalingam

Oldposts
26th February 2005, 11:51 AM
Topic started by RV (rv_subbu@hotmail.com) (@ 1cust34.tnt2.sfo2.da.uu.net) on Fri Jun 19 22:14:50 EDT 1998.

After MKTB and PUC, TR Mahalingam was briefly at the top of the charts. Shall we start discussing him ?

List of Songs:

Alphabetic:
http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2199

Chronological(in the order posted)
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2199&opt=c

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=77328#77328

Oldposts
TR Mahalingam was the successor to MKTB & PUC. Several of his movies including Sri Valli, Naam Iruvar and Vedhala Ulagam were big hits. He made a comeback with Malaiyitta Mangai. Unwilling to act without singing, he went back to the drama tradition. He made occasional forays into films whenever he could sing - Agatthiyar being one of the most significant movies.

Several songs in Naam Iruvar were very good. Most of them are by Bharathiyar. Produced by AVM, who held the copyright to Bharathiyar songs then, it starred Sarangapani, B.R. Panthulu the famous producer of later years, Kumari Kamala ( a child - teenager star ), VK Ramasami ( an unbelievably thin VKR - He looks like Nagesh in this movie. )

Solai Malaroliyo - Unadhu
Sundarap Punnagaidhan

Karunamoorthi Gandhi Mahatma ( female singer )

Several others....

Vedhala Ulagam was produced by AVM again starring Sarangapani and Kumari Kamala. Some of the songs were

Odi Vilayadu Pappa
Kottu Murase?
Theeradha Vilayattup Pillai
Vidudhalai Vidudhalai ? ( DK Pattmmal, I think )

Malaiyitta Mangai has the famous "Senthamizh Then Mozhiyal". Produced by Kannadasan.

In Thiruvilaiyadal, "Isaith Thamizh Nee Seidha" was quite popular.

Agatthiyar has several songs by him
Namacchivaya Ena Solvome
Isaiyai Thamizhai Iruppavane

I think he acted in Raja Raja Cholan too but I am not sure.

Oldposts
I also remember junk songs like
"Sottu Sottunu Sottudhu Paru Ange"

I beleive he was called "Kittappavin Edhiroli". Did SGK act in any movies ? The only song I remember is "Kayadha Kanagatthe".

I remember seeing his name in "Pattikada Pattanama" though I dont remember in what context.

Oldposts
RV

Good topic for old timers. We have very much to discuss here. Let us gather the views of others first.

The film Pattikkada Pattanama was shot in Solavanthan village (near Madurai)owned by TR Mahalingam. There was an acknowledgement for him in that movie.

Oldposts
RV

Has TRM sung in thanjai periya kOil pallANdu vAzhgavE song (in rAja rAja chOzhan) along with sIrgAzhi and varalakshmi?

Another popular one by TRM is senthamizhth thEn mozhiyAL

Oldposts
Manisekaran, veettu vaasalukkae vandhutteenga. Sozhavandhaan is my native place. TRM owns quite a bit of land there, but by no means does he own the village. If I lived in India, I could have all you DF guys over to our Thennandhoappu. Hmmm...memories.

TRM sang two great songs in the movie Thiruvilaiyaadal (in which he stars as Paanapattar):
The one that comes immediately to mind is
"Isaithamizh Nee seidha arum SAdhanai"

I haven't heard much of Kittappa or Chinnappa. I have heard MKT. To my knowledge, I haven't heard anyone's voice go as high as TRM and stay there as long. Amazing voice.

Oldposts
Manisekaran:
As always, some of us who cannot add to this topic, but would like to learn more, look forward your write-up on TRM. Thank you in advance.

Oldposts
Some songs:

Movie: Raja Raja Cholan
MD: Kunnakkudi Vaidyanathan

1. Thendralodu Udan Pirandal Senthamizh Pennal ( Kannadasan )
2. Thanjai Periya Kovil Pallandu Vazhgave ( Kannadasan, Varalakshmi, Seerakazhi, TRM )

Movie: Agatthiyar
MD: Kunnakkudi

1. Andavan Darisaname ( Poovai Senguttuvan )
2. Malai Nindra Thirukkumara ( E. Ra. Pazhanicchami - lyrics )
3. Isaiyai Thamizhai Iruppavane ( Poovai Senguttuvan, Seerkazhi, TRM )
4. Namacchivaya Endru Solvome

Movie: Thiruvilaiyadal
MD: KVM

1. Isaitthamizh Nee Seidha ( Kannadasan )

Movie: Malaiyitta Mangai
MD: VR

1. Senthamizh Then Mozhiyal ( Kannadasan )
2. Engal Dravidap Ponnadu ( Kannadasan )
3. Thingal Mudi ( Kannadasan )

Movie: Amudhavalli
MD: VR

1. Aadai Katti Vandha Nilavo ( Kannadasan, PS, TRM )

Movie: Aada Vanda Deivam

1. Sottu Sottunu Sottudhu Paaru Ange ( Maruthakasi )
2. Asai Konden ( Maruthakasi )
3. Kodi Kodi Inbam ( Maruthakasi )

Movie: Mohana Sundaram
MD: ??

1. Paattu Venuma ( Lyric - KD Santhanam )

Movie: Idhaya Geetham
MD: ??

1. Vaanulavum ( Kambadasan )

Movie: Aditthan Kanavu
MD: Rajagopala Iyer

1. Maduramana Rusi ( Papanasam Sivan )

Oldposts
More....

Movie: Srivalli
MD: R. Sudarsanam & TA Kalyanam

Kayadha Kanagatthe ( Traditional song )

Source: Cassette Kodi Kodi Inbam from HMV.

Oldposts
RV:

TRM & Bhanumathy paadal, kaNgaLin veNNilavE, sallaaba
enna padam theriyumaa?

In 'Maalaiyitta Mangai' there is one more good one:
naanandri yaar varuvaar

In 'Kavalai Illaadha Manidhan' there is a nice one:
naan dheyvamaa illai nee dheivamaa

Oldposts
i have heard about an incident involving trm. it might be apocryphal.

a famous md wanted to have a song with trm, tms, pbs, seerkazhi and s varalakshmi. at that point of time, the balance used to be achieved by distance from the mike (i hear it was only one mike), the md started to place people. initially he had pbs closest to the mike and took a test and asked trm to move behind. during the next take he asked tms to come forward and trm to go behind. the next had s varalakshmi coming to the front and trm going back further. the next test saw seerkazhi coming slightly further up at the expense of trm.

when they were ready for the take, the md and the other singers noticed that trm was stuck to the wall like a palli because he was asked to go back and back. whether true or not, this episode tells tales of his ability to reach impossible heights, sustain and even produce sangathis that one cannot even imagine. such a fine voice

Oldposts
TR MAHALINGAM
TR Mahalingam used to act and sing in the stage dramas popularly called special dramas. During childhood days his companion was SC Krishnan and a few other youngsters. But in those days ther was no microphone facility, and amplifiers were uncommon. Therefore singers had to sing aloud to reach the full audience. This was how the early singers like TRM,SG Kittappa, SCKrishnan, MKTB and to a large extent TMS trained their voices.That may explain why these singers are able to reach high pitch. In 1933 SG Kittappa died at an early and unexpected age of 28. There was a complete vacuum after his death. Fortunately, TRM was there to console the old timers. While SGKittappa was still alive TRM used to sing in the style of SGK, and almost tin the same manner.

DEBUT INTO CINE FIELD
When TRM was a successful singer cum actor he was dragged into the celluloid world to act and sing at the same time. At the age of 14 TRM got a chance to act in the film called Nandakumar.hat was the 3rd film of AVM taken in 1937. It was a story about Krishnabhagavan. The film was originally taken on a grand manner by some northerners in Pune(Poona?) Big settings were created to shoot the film in Marati and Hindi. AVM wanted to grab the opportunity to film it in Tamil as well.He signed a contract with the northerners. The Tamil version was shot to a length of 9,000 feet. But soon he learnt that the Hindi and Marathi films were meeting continuous failure. Therefore AVM rushed to Poona to termninate his original contract. In its place he bought outright copyright to film it in Tamil. TRM was signed up to act in the role of Krishna.He made some changes and released. The film did not run well. Nevertheless the film was praised for some wonderful songs.

But the film Sri Valli lifted him.He acted as Murugan. This film was initiated during the 2nd World War. The British made a ruling that no film should exceed the length of 11,000 feet. Somehow AVM went ahead and released it. This film ran for many days and earned the support of the masses. TRM was already a "superstar" after this film. His rate went up.

AVM took Nam Iruvar followed by Vethala Ulakam in Karaikkudi. The Bharatiyar song were kept by the Surajmahal and Sons who owned a gramaphone company in Rattan Bazar in Madras. They had bought the rights at RS600. Bu AVM bought over the copyright for RS 10,000. Baharathiyar's songs and used many of his songs in Nam Iruvar. Of course later he handed over the rights to the government to make them public domain.

Nam Iruvar was released first in Madurai in 1948. It was originally a drama. The role acted by Sahasranamam went to TRM. The others who acted in the film were BR Bantulu, TR Ramachandran, VK Ramasamy and Sarangapani. The very first scene was a Bharathy song called "Aaducome Pallu Paaduvome" which portrayed Kumari Kamala(Double acting) dancing on a gigantic drum. This first scene itself earned loud applause from the audience. It was only in March that the movie was released in Madras. Neelakandan and TR Mahalingam went to Madurai to see the film. Immediately after the film the audience identified TRM who was present there, carried him high and danced around with joy. The grand success could be attributed to the immediate post independence jubiliation as well as Bharathiyar songs. To a large extent the voice, songs and the personality of TRm contributed to the sucess of the movie. At a time when people were verym much attuned to Maya Jala movies, a film of social theme, Nam Iruvar broke record.i is saidthat TRM had also sang some of theSG Kttappa's songs in Nam Iruvar. I do not know which the songs are. Any old timer there?

Pammal Sammantha Mudaliyar's story was taken as Vedala Ulakam. For Vedala Ulakam it was TA Krishnasamy who wrote dialogue while KD Santhanam wrote the songs, with Sudarsanam as the MD. The film saw the debut of the Travangoor Sisters- lalitha and Pathmini who performed dance under the training of Udaya Shanker. This film had some Bharathiyar songs as well.Sarangapani, Rajakantham and TRM acted in this film.

After these films he acted in famous move like Gnanasundari, Laila Majnu and Idaya Geetham. Therefter he became ambitious and took his own movies. They are Mohanasundaram, Chinnadurai,Macharegai, Theruppadagan an Vilyattu Bommai. The last two never got released.He then lost all his wealth and fame. It was Kannadasan's malayitta Mangai which restored his lost glory.

Interesting background to Malayitta Mangai coming soon.
Regards.

Oldposts
Manisekaran:

Thanks. We look forward to more postings on TRM,
Maalaiyitta Mangai etc.

Folks:

Here is a still from 'Naam Iruvar':

http://www.avmindia.com/jpegs/nam.jpg (http://www.avmindia.com/jpegs/nam.jpg
)

In that AVM site, you'll find a lot more stills -
one still from each of AVM's movies.

Oldposts
SK: Sorry, neengal kuripitta irandu paattume kettadhillai.

Oldposts
am Iruvar:
Bharatiyar, DKP? : Aduvome Palluppaduvome
??, DKP? : Karuna Moorthi Gandhi Mahatma
??, DKP? : Mahan Gandhi Mahan
Bharatiyar, TRM : Solai Malaroliyo
Bharatiyar, TRM : Vazhiya Senthamizh
Bharatiyar, TRM : Vetri Ettutthikkum Etta
Bharatiyar, TRM : Viduthalai Viduthalai

Vedhala Ulagam:
??, Sarangapani?? : : Ayyayaiyyo Solla Vetkam
Bharatiyar, TRM : Koonduk Kiliyai Pole
Bharatiyar, TRM : Odi Vilaiyadu Pappa
Bharatiyar, TRM : Senthamizh Nadennum
Bharatiyar, ?? : Theeradha Vilaiyattup Pillai

Oldposts
Manisekaran: As usual, pala theriyada vishayangali veliye kondu vandhirukkeenga. Ana paarunga, we are spoilt now! We dont expect anything else from you!

It is said that TRM wanted and expected to be the hero in Vazhakkai, the debut film of Vyjanthimala. A reasonable expectation after the success of Vedala Ulagam and Nam Iruvar. But it seems that AVM Chettiyar said that TR Ramaachandran would suit that role better and refused to give that chance to TRM. Which caused TRM to leave the AVM banner....

Oldposts
Manisekaran: WOuld you know whether SG Kittappa acted in any movies ?

Oldposts
RV
SGK died in 1933 and had no time to act in movies.
AS not many of us know about SG Kittappa, I am taking the liberty of sharing with you whatever I have gathered about him. in the song "aattukkutti Muttai Ittu" from 16 Vayathiniley Kannadasan says "Kittappavin Paattai Ketten". but he himself has not seen nor heard the songs of Kittappa. I have not heard either. Being a rare topic, and in view of the only opportunity now at hand, I take the opportunity to do some justice to his contribution I am aware that not many of us may appreciate this old timer. But TRM was born from the talent of SGK. Therefore is it alright if I provide the info?

SG KITTAPPA
It was in 1937 that the Tamil Film industry stareted. Before that the stage dramas stole the show in several parts of India especiially Tamilnadu wher drama is part of the Muthamizh(iyal+Isai+Nattiyam). While the stage dramas were shinig before the advent of cinema, SG Kittappa was called the "isayulaga Mannan" by various quarters.

BIRTH AND CHILDHOOD

He was born in Sengottai as the 10th child to Kangathara Aiyyer. Owing to poverty the father copuld not send him to school. SGK showed interest in music, and so he joined his two other brothers- Chellappa and Suppiah who were involved in dramas. It was most fortunate that the Nadaga Thanthai Sangaradas Swamikal was teachingthose two brothers the basicmusic and the art of script writing for the dramas. SG Kittappa who was a small boy at that time sat around and listened very attentively, though the lessons were not directed to him. It was under the limelight of Sangaradas Swamikal that SGK picked up the inclination and involvemnnt in music to an astonishing level.

FIRST STAGE APPEARANCE

WHen yet a child SGK appeared on stage drama in Madurai ands showed his singing talents. As his singing talent was truly inspiring,, fans threw rupee notes and even gold rings on the stage as a token of profound appreciation. He was only five (5) years old then!

He was immediately booked for several stage dramas in several parts of Tamilnadu. At the age of 8 he went to Ceylon to act in stage dramas. The Ceylon INdian Chamber of Commerce awarded him gold medal and certificate of appreciation for his artistic talents.

JOINED KANNAIYA NADAGA COMPANY

In 1919 the famous Kannaiya Nadaga Kuzhu recruited SGK to be part of them. He served ther for 6 years. As his brother, Kasi Aiyyer was a good harmonium player, he teamed up perfectly with SG Kittappa to produce the best of songs of the standard prevalent in those days. As SGK sang and acted very well in a drama called "Kandi Raja" Justice abdul Rahim was so impressed that he awarded golden shawl and "Kuthu Vilakku" for SGK.

Both SGK and his brother Kasi Aiyyer went to Ceylon to stage dramas. There KB Sundrambaal was staging her own dramas. SGK and KBS met there for the first time. They then teamed up to perform several dramas. From there they went to Rangoon to stage dramas. From there they returned with much wealth. Upon return they continued to perform in Tamilnadu. At times KBS and SGK acted in dramas like Thookku Thookki, Nandanaar, Dasavatharam Aandaal etc staged by the Kannaiya Nadaga Company.
SGK and KBS got married.

APPRECIATION BY THE GREATEST PERSONALITIES

The north Indian sangeetha Vidvan Pandit Vishnu Thigambarar did not think high of SGK. When SGK was asked to sing a song in Begat Raga(?) SGK very fluently sang it only to shake up the Pandit. The Pandit who was scheduled to retuern by night mail stayed back to see SGK's drama, called "Krishna Vilasam". The Panni was som impressed that at the end of the drama he took off the garland from his own neck and placed it upon the neck of SGK and said"You are truly Krishna, no doubt" This Pandit had a great liking for the Tagore's(?) "Ragupathi Ragava Rajaram Patheetha Bavana Seetharam". Therefore SGK made it a point to sing this piece at the tail end of his dramas in remembrance of their historical meeting.

At a alter time another famous north Indian sangeetha Vidvan by the name of Pyari Saheb came to perform his songs in the Victoria Public Hall of Madras. SGK also went to the show. At this show the Saheb sang the song "sabathi kilasa" in Kamas raga. At night SGK staged his drama for which the Saheb turned up. In this dramna SGK sang the same song that the Saheb had sung earlier. As SGK was able to sing very well the Saheb went up the stage and offered him his own gold chain.

When SGK was performing in Wijayawada in Andhra Pradesh,the famous Andhra vidvan Kabilavai Ramanatha Saastrikal. The sastri sang the "Kori Bajanannu" keertana. In a few minutes SGK also sang the same Keertana. The sastrikal immediately embraced SGK to show his appreciation.

SGK used to learn a few keertana from the Mayuram KV Rajarama Aiyer. Once SGK was on his way to Kumbakonam to perform a stage drama. On the way SGK saw the KV Rajarama Aiyer and asked him how to sing in Suddha Seemathini Raga. The Aiyer sang for him. At night SGK sang the same raga in his drama. The Malaikkottai Govindasamy Pillai appeared on stage and awarded him a gold medal and glorified him to a superlative level. A few more vidvans were also there to appreciate SGK. Kanjipuram Nayana Pillai appeared on stage and said "Had SGK taken up singing in kachery, people like me would have become unknown figures" Likewise Dachinamoorthy pillai said the no other songs had stolen his heart as those of SGK. Mannarkudy Packirisamy Pillai also glorified him.

Thiruvaaduthurai Rajaratnam Pillai who had recognised the talents of SGK said that it was only SGK whom he considered to be in the forefront in the field of singig, and no one else. Sowdaya who was fascinated by the talents of SGK played the "pidil" in his dramas for some time.

APPRECIATION BY FOREIGN DIGNATORIES

Mr and Mrs Eechim(?) of Boston fame came to Trichy and happened to witness the kachery of Kittappa in the rasiga Ranjani Saba. The couple were very much impressed that they appreciated SGK and made sure articvles appeared in the American papers. The Mysore Mannar, Thiruvangoor Mannar, and even Governors like Lord Livingston and Lord Curzon listened to the Sngeetham and awarded gold medal.

SGK was a great devotee and a patriot. He gave a lot for the poor. He used to stage dramas to collect funds for temple and charitable causes.

Before singing SGK used to drink hot water, at almost boiling point, according to TMS. Although SGK was very fluenct in singing suram, he never really supported it. He used to explain the ragas before starting his songs. He used to sing in Tamil. His pronunciation is said to be very clear. He is the first to have pulled the rural folks towards the kachery songs.

DEATH

SGK was very famous and popular. Unfortunately, his health started to fail him. As he was acting in a drama in Thiruvaaroor, he fainted and fell collapsed on stage. Therafter he never regained his health. In 1933, at the age of 28 he died.

T.R. Mahalingam article follows later, but very soon.

Oldposts
RV
Muthamizh is iyal+isai+ Nadagam (not nattiyam) Sorry for the typo error.

"Entahu viralkal type adikkumpozhuthu keyboard sudugindrathu"

Oldposts
Manisekaran,

No wonder. I guess this is one of the hottest topics in the TFM-DF now :-)

G.Ramaswamy

Oldposts
"Enathu kangal padikkum pozhuthu idhayam kulirgindradhu"

Oldposts
Manisekaran: An excellent article on SGK. I wanted to start a topic on SGK, but I had some doubts as to whether he ever acted in films.

Oldposts
Manisekaran:
Thank you. Look forward to TRM Part II, including mAlayitta mangai which seems to have some great songs by kaNNadhAsan.

Oldposts
TR Mahalingam
(Today, June 24 is Kannadasan's Birthday. Therefore mention of his movie is most relevant)

When TR Mahalingam lost his fortune even those closest to him deserted him. S. Varalachumy also left him and teamed up with A.L.Seenivasan. TR Mahalingam was shattered.

Around this time Kannadasan was getting too irritated by several personalities in the cine field. He saw that there was no freedom for him to exhibit his full talents and potentials. Directors, producers and even big stars kept on interfering in his songs. He was waiting for the right time to start his own movie. The film Mahadevi had his direct involvemnent in the writing of dialogue. There is one song by AM Raja and P. Suseela in Mahadevi-"kan Moodum Velayilum Kalai Enna Kalaiye, Kanne Un Perazhagin vilai intha ulage". Visvanathan and Ramamurhty are the MDs. The situation was explained. Kathali waits for the kathalan in the poonga, seeing that there was no sign of his coming, she falls asleep. The kathalan comes by and, seeing that she has fallen asleep, menmaiyaga rubs her face. She wakes up in shock and immediately the kathalan starts to sing. The original song that Kannadasan wrote for that situation was:
"Naananri Yaar varuvaar-ila
nangai unai veru yaar thoduvaar?" MGR immediately asked for another substitute, saying that that song was too slow. Therefore Kannadasan had to write "Kan moodum Velayilum". But his heart was still with "Naananri Yaar varuvaar"

Such unneccessary interventions got to Kannadasan's nerve. He felt that the only way to show his full potential was to produce his own film with excellent songs.

In 1958 he started his own film company- Kannadasan Pictures. He wnet ot look for Nageswararao to book him as the main hero. But he was at the heigh of popularity, and as is always usual of cine characters, the Rao was very rude and sarcastic towards Kannadasan. He also asked for a very high rate. Then he decided to produce a low budget film with other features to boost the film, notably the songs. It wa at this time that he heard of TR Mahalingam's fate. Kannadasan knew that TRMahalingam would not ask for a high rate in view of his situation then. But many of Kannadasan's supporters advised Kannadasan not to use an actor who has lost complete fame and name in the cinema field. But Kannadasan said that he was producing a musical movie, not one with star strength.

TR Mahalingam agreed to act at any rate offered by Kannadasan. As the production work started, the DMK "thanga kambikal" started to instigate other DMK supporters. Kannadasan himself was a DMK member at that time. DMK was an anti Brahmin party then. So they said that his movie would not run if a brahmin(TRM) was used in the movie. Kannadasan said that he would make TR Mahalingam sing a song praising the DMK party in an indirect way. The film was completed. Many DMK members were swarming the theatre.

The very first scene was a pullarikka vaikkum scene with a very high pitch title song by TRM. The thogayara went like this:

Vinthiyam Kumariyidai vilangumn Thirunaade
Velenthum Mooventhar aandiruntha thennade..
Engal Dravida Pon Naade..

Immediately after this the song proper starts off like this:

Engal Thiravida Pon Naade-kalai
vaazhum Then naade..
Iyal ISai Nadagam aram Porul Inbam
Ilangum Senthamizh naade..
By this time the DKM supporters started to clap for the song. the fil was very wellreceived by Tamilnadu. Although Visvanathan and Ramamurhty had been MDs for several other movies prior to Malayitta Mangai, it was from this film that theri fame really shot up. There were 17 songs altogether. Let me recollect some off hand:

1.Naananri Yaar Varuvaar
2. Engal Dravida Pon Naade
3. Senthamizh then mozhiyaal(TRM)
4. Senthamizh then mozhiyaal( K. Jamunarani)
5. Akkarai seemaikku pona Machan
6. Malayitta Mangai illai
7. Magale Magale paradi
8. Annam Pola Pennirukku Aasai Konda Manamirukku
9. malayittu Manam Mudichu Pottu Vachu Poo Mudichu
10. Illaram Onre Nallaram Enravar vazhavum vida maattaar
11. Manal Kooda Oru Naalil Thenagalaam

In this film Kannadasan was able to pen his songs as he wished without the interference of the big guns. He brought back the secene and the song that MGR rejected in Mahadevi. The herine Mainavathi waits for TRM in a poonga. TRM appears from the rear unexpectedly and closes her eyes. The shoked Mainavathi turns around. TRM starts:

"Naananri Yaar Varuvaar-ila
nangai unai veru yaar thoduvar"

Kannadasan was very satisfied the way this scene turned up in the movie. There is yet one more unique feature in this song. When SG Kittappa used to sing without the assistance of the PA system,his voice could be heard one mile away. But TRM's voice could reach at least three quarter of a mile when he sang in high pitch. TRM sang almost all his songs in high pitch. the great G Ramanathan tailored a song to make TRM sing in both high and low pitch. In Manimegalai TRM was made to sing with Banumathy who never could sing in high pitch. In the song "Kankalin Vennilave"TRM sings with a high pitch while Banumathy sings with a low pitch. In the tail end of the song both TRM and Mahalingam sing in a very low pitch.

But in the film Malayitta Mangai TRm requested the mellisai mannarkal to compose tune where he could sing the full length in low pitch. The song Nananri Yaar varuvaar is about the only song where he sang in lowest pitch with AP Komala.

Manorama's debut was in Malayitta Mangai.

After Malayitta Mangai TRMahalingam's market was restored, but only for a short span of time for various reasons. There were more new comers with newer talents. Some stars dominated. As TRM was a singer and actor at the same time, he could not do away with singing.His acting was more suited to the dramas. In social movies there were stars who did better than him. His voice again was admired by limited fans. TRM could not giver ultra modern songs. TMS, PBS and AMR were changing the taste of the Tamil film music. So TRM lost in the battle called survival of the fittest.

He once again went into oblivion. From time to time he appeared in some movies, not as hero, but in character roles. Even then he had to restrict to Purana type of films. He just could not be versatile. Look at agathiyar, Raja Raja Chlan, Thiruvilayadal etc.

THE FILMS OF TRM- (from memory)
1.Nandanaar
2.Chinnadurai
3.Theruppadagan
4. Vilayaattu Bommai
5. Mohanasundaram
6.Machai Regai
7.Naam Iruvar
8. Sri Valli
9.Pavalakkodi
10.Aathithan Kanavu
11.Rathinapuri Ilavarasi
12. Aada Vantha Deivam
13.Idhaya Geetham
14.AbalI Anjugam
15.Manimegalai
16.Amuthavalli
17.Sri Valli(of Sivaji Ganesan)
18.Thiruvilayadal
19.Raja Raja Cholan
20. Agathiyar
21. Thirumalai Deivam
22. Kavalai Illatha Manithan
23.Thiruneelakander
24.Thanthaikku Pin Thamaiyan
25.Pannaiyar Magal
26.Ennai Paar
27.Malayitta Mangai
28.Gnanasoundari
30. Laila Majnu

TRM is a great singer with limited fans, especially the old timers. G Ramanathan had a liking for his voice. TMS used to fear the voice of TRM in the film Sri Valli TRM was to start off a 6 minute song, followed by TMS. The moment TRM started the rehearsal TMS ran to G Ramanathan and said that shopuld he continue after TRM he would lose out completely. But GR who was aware of the difference between their voices modified the music and assured TMS that it would be alright. The TMS song continues as "Loga Nayaga" in thehighest possible pitch, perhaps next ot "Ongaramaai Vilangum Natham" in Vanangamudi.

Vanakkam.

Oldposts
Manisekaran:
Thank you again for taking the time to educate us TFM History buffs. Including anecdotes on kaviyarasr was an additional treat. Who should we be exploring next?

Oldposts
Kanchana & Manisekaran:

How about KB Sundarambal ?

Oldposts
Manisekaran:

In another thread, NOV (VadiVelu) mentioned that
kavinjar Kannadhasan's B'day is June 20th, and
that there were somw special programmes on Malaysian
Radio attached to that. Can you confirm if June 24th
is actually the right one?

TRM in 'Nandhanaar'? Is it the same movie starring
dhaNdapaaNi dhEsikar?

RV:

You missed one song from Agaththiyar:

muzhumudhaR poruLE muththamizh chudarE
mOnamE vEdhanaayagamE

where naaradhar (TRM) sings the song in praise
of Lord Vinayaka.

I distinctly remember the song, namachchivaayamena.
Agaththiyar (SG) sings in praise of Lord Shiva:
namachchivaayamena solvOmE
naNmaigaL aayiram koLvOmE

and naaradhar (TRM) follows in praise of Lord Narayana:
naaraayaNaa ena cholvOmE
naalvagai thubaththai velvOmE

and an interesting tussle follows where, at the
end, naaradhar loses face. It is an interesting episode,
but a digression here, so I will not say any more
about this song.

About SG Kittappa:

I have a rare audio cassette with 12 stage songs
of Kittappa, by HMV. The songs (plus raagaas/other
details) in that cassette are:

1. ellOraiyum pOlE (Sudhdha Saveri)
2. mahaadhEvaa
3. thaamadhamEn (Kamas)
4. kaami sathyabaamaa kadhavai thiRavaay (Kamas)
5. vanithaamaNiyE (Parsi Tone)
6. dharmam allavE (Maund)
7. naaLai pOgaamal naan iruppEnO (Sankarabharanam)
8. vaNNa thaamaraiyai (Kavadi Chindu)
9. vEdikkaiyaagavE (Mukhari)
10. theengaana mozhiyE (Ananda Bhairavi)
11. androrunaaL (Virutham)
12. gOpiyar konjum ramaNaa

SGK's voice is very similar to TRM's voice.

Oldposts
Sathya
I think Kannadasan's birthday is on June 20. the first film of TRM is Nandakumar, not Nandanaar. It is again a slip of the fingers.
Manisekaran.

Oldposts
Manisekaran:

Thanks for the information. Was 'agaththiyar' the
last movie of TRM? What did TRM do after that?
I heard that he died a pauper; so sad!

Oldposts
Kannadasan's birthday is June 24. There was a program on Radio 6 on June 20. One of the fans pointed out that it is June 24. (not 20 as it was announced earlier)
Today, there was a special "iravin madiyil " program dedicated to Kannadasan, starting with the song

"kaalaththil aziyaatha kaaviyam thara vantha maaperum kavi mannanE"

Oldposts
SK: Agatthiyar padatthil innoru paattai ninaivu padutthadarku nandri.

Naan Agatthiyar parrthu pala varudangal agivittadhu. Aanal enakku gnabagam ulla varaiyil Namachivaya / Narayana pattukkup piragu Agatthiyarum Naradarum "Hariyum Sivanum Onnu" endra reedhiyil edho pesik kolvargal...

Sometimes I wonder why Kunnakkudi didnt become the successor to KVM...

Oldposts
RV:

"Hariyum Sivanum Onnu" endra reedhiyil edho pesik kolvargal...

illai illai. The tussle is a different one. adhu
patri ezhudhavaa?

Oldposts
SK: Idhu ennanga kelvi, dharalama ezhudhunga!

Oldposts
Check out this site (kaNNadhAsan padhippagam).
http://www.indian-publishers.com/kanpath/ (http://www.indian-publishers.com/kanpath/
)

Looks like KK's birthday was 24th June.

Oldposts
RV:

idhO andha Agaththiyar-Naradhar kadhai. Agaththiyar,

namachchivaayamena solvOmE
naNmaigaL aayiram koLvOmE

endru Siva perumaani thudhiththu paadik koNdu varuvaar.
Naradhar,

naaraayaNaa ena cholvOmE
naalvagai thunbaththai velvOmE

endru Thirumaalai vaazhththi paadik koNdu varuvaar.
iruvarum sandhippaargaL. appO:

Naradhar (Agaththiyaridam):
paarththeergaLaa, naam kadavuLai eppozhudhum thudhiththukkoNdE
irukkiROm. aanaal maanidargaL kadavuLai sariyaaga ninaippadhE
illai.

Agaththiyar:
illai neengaL solvadhu thavaRu. maanidargaL kadavuLai nangu
vazhipadaththaan seygiRArgaL.

Naradhar:
sari. naan solvadhu sari endru niroobikka arugil irukkum
graamaththiRkku sendru paarththu varugiREn.

arugil uLLa oru kudiyaanavanin veettukku sendru oLindhirundhu
Naradhar avanai oru naal muzhuvadhum gavanikkiRAr. kaalaiyil
ezhundha avan, Govindhaa, nal vazhi kaattu endru sollivittu
vElaigaLai gavanikkiRAn. pinnar, naaL mudindhu uRangum pOdhu,
Gopalaa, kaappaatru endru solkiRAn. oru naaLil kadavuLai avan
ninaiththadhu iraNdE iraNdu muRai! Naradharukku magizhchchi:
thaan sonnadhE sari enbadhaal. Agaththiyaridam vandhu paarththadhai
solgiRAr. Agaththiyar siriththu, innum ondrE ondru neengaL
seyya vENdum endru solli Naradharidam oru 'eNNai nirambi vazhiyum
paaththiram' ondrai koduththu, idhilirundhu oru sottu eNNai
kooda keezhE vizhaamal ulagai oru muRai sutri vaarungaL, paarkkalaam
endru sokiRAr. Naradharum, sari appadi pOi vandhuvittaal
Agaththiyar than thOlviyai oppuk koLvaar ena ninaiththu
eNNai paaththiraththudan jaakkiradhaiyaaga ulagai sutri nadakka
aarambikkiRAr. kashtappattu, oru sottu eNNai kooda sindhaamal
paaththiraththai ulagai sutri koNdu vandhuvidugiRAr Naradhar. mikka
perumidhaththudan avar Agaththiyaridam, sari, ippOdhu neengaL
solvadhu thavaRu ena oppuk koLveergaLaa? endru kEtpaar.

Agaththiyar:
adhu sari; neengaL paaththiraththai eduththuk koNdu ulagai
sutriya pOdhu Thirumaalai eththanai muRai ninaiththeergaL?

Naradhar:
adhu eppadi mudiyum? en gavanam muzhuvadhum eNNai, paaththiraththil
irundhu sindhividak koodaadhu enbadhilEyE allavaa irundhadhu?

Agaththiyar:
indha kali yugaththil maanidargaLum adhu pOlavE! dhinamum
avargaLukku eththanai eththanai vElaigaL, kavalaigaL? appadi
irundhum andha kudiyaanavan iru muRai kadavuLai ninaiththaan.
aanaal neengaLO indha paaththiraththai eduththu sendra pOdhu oru
muRai kooda Thirumaalai ninaikkavillai. ungaL iruvaril yaar
siRandha bhakthimaan?

There are two morals in this story. 1. There is really no need
to spend lots of time doing prayers. Two short prayers a day: once at
the beginning of the day and one at the end should be more than sufficient.
2. Those who pray a lot: let them not think even for a moment that
they are doing something better than those who don't! It is the
involvement of the heart that really matters, not the amount of time.

Oldposts
How about TRM's duets...
1. Kottu kottunnu kottuthu paru inge malai- dont know the movie
2. one song from film Amuthavalli
3. the ever green song 'Senthamizhil then moliyaal nilavena sirukkum malar kodiyaal....'
4. One song from Rajaraja chozhalan
Thenralodu udan piranthaal senthamizhil pennal...

Oldposts
MY FAVOURITE SONG BY TRM

1.Kannirandum Onrai Onru Kaana Mudiyuma
2.Unnai Kana Engum
3.Senthamizh Then Mozhiyaal
4.Aasai Konden Amuthame
5.Kodi Kodi Inbam Perave
6.Aasai Kiliye azhaithu Varai Thenrale Thendrale
7.Kankalin Vennilavo
8.Adaikatti Vantha Nilavo
9.Kalai Vain Kalyani Un Meni Theenjuvai Tharum Mangani
10.Naananri Yaar Varuvaar
11.Sangam Muzhangivarum Singara Thamilkalaiye
12.Ilaya Kanniyin Azhagiya Vathanam Malarnthathev vithamno
13.Aadalaama nadam Aadalaama
14.Ethirkondu Varavetkuthey
15.Katchiyum Neethan Katpanaiyum Neethan
16.Nigar Vaazhvinile Aanandam
17.Padikka Padikka Nenjl Inikkum Paruvam Enra Kavuyam
18.Kathalukku Naalu Kankal
19. Aadivarum Thenralile Nanthalaala
20.Maduramana Rusi Ullathe
21.Engal Thiravida Pon Naade
22.Thingal Mudi Choodum Malai
23.Paattu Venuma Cinema Pattu Venuma
24. Aandavan Padaippiniley Naan Kanda Atputha Pen vadive
25.Annam vangaliyo
26.Kannana Kanmani
27.Naan Deivama Illai Nee Deivama
28. Isai Thamizh Nee Seitha
29.Unakkakave Pirantha Azhagan
30.Katpaga Cholaiyile
31. Pulli Manai Pole Neeyum Thulli Thulli Oduraai
32.Oh Jegamathil Kanbathellam Ethanale
33.Vaanulaavum Thaarai Neeye Idhaya Geethame
34. Vennila Kudai Pidikka
35.Mogathai Kondruvidu
36.Sottu sottunu sotuthu paru ingey-muttal payale moolai irukka?

Oldposts
Hi,
It is nice to see somebody even remember TRM. There is one song which is very unlike TRM. I do not remember the full details. The only thing I remember clearly is that the music was by Shankar Ganesh. (Would you believe this ?)
The movie was Kadavul Thantha Selvam or something very similar.
The song goes something like
Paadum Thamizhe Something Somethin Aruge Sellavaa
Pachai Kiliye something something Paadal sollavaa

It is not a classic but I was amused that TRM even attempted the song.

Any comments ?

Oldposts
Hi,

I am an ardent fan MKT. I am looking for certain rare songs from his film "Chintamani". The song was sung by both MKT and Aswathama(the singing sensation from karnataka). It goes as:
"Bhajanai seivom kannan naamam......". There are other great songs in that movie, like:
1. "Divya darisanam tharalagatha..." (Aswathama)
2. "Maya prapanchanthil aanandam verillai...(serukkalathoor saama)

Can anybody tell me the means by which I can get these songs ? Are there cassettes/CDs of MKTs films available anywhere ? I only got a few cassttes from HMV(and a few others) which have collection of his popular songs.

-
GS

Oldposts
Good Sathiakeerthi,
thanks for giving so much information about TRM. keep it up. we really learn a lot from u.

Oldposts
hello everybody,
Above i read that HMV/RPG has released a cassette of S.G.Kittappa songs.

I tried to search for their webpage so that I could order that cassette, but without success. Could somebody help me find a copy of this cassette?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sriram Ganesan

Oldposts
Wow, thread revived after 4+ years!!! I hope you find someone with the SGK cassette soon. Or someone who has digitized it.
Sreedhar

Oldposts
hi hi

Oldposts
SGK's HMV cassette tape is available at Tana's tamil songs archives.
<a name="last"></a>

rajraj
26th February 2005, 08:44 PM
Song #1. EngaL dhraavide ponnaade

Movie: Maalai itta mangai
Music:
Lyrics:
Cast: T.R.Mahalingam

vidhiyam kumari idai viLangum thirunaade
velendhum moovendhar aaNdirundha thennaade
engal dhraavida ponnaade

engal dhraavida ponnaade kalai vaazhum thennaade
engaL dhraavida ponnaade kalai vaazhum thennaade
iyal isai naatakam aram porul inbam ilangum senthamizh naade

sarithiram paadum kaaveri iLam thaLirkodi pole odugiraaL
sangam vaLarndha madhuraiyile engaL thamizh magaL thamizh isai paadugiraaL
vizhigaLai pole kumariyin mele meen magaL thuLLi aadugiraaL
viLaiyaadum vaigai azhiyaadha poigai dhisai thorum isai paadum thaai naade
engaL dhraaida ponnaade kalai vaazhum thennaade

singaLa theevin kadarkaraiyai engal senthamizh thozhar azhagu seidhaar
egipthiyar naattin nadhikkaraiyil engal iLam thamizh veerar bhavani vandhaar
villavan seran paaNdiya naattin vel vizhi magaLai maNam mudithaan
viLigindra selvam vaLargindra thangam dhisai thoru isai paadum thennaade
iyal isai naatakam aram porul inbam ilangum senthamizh naade

madhu
26th February 2005, 10:55 PM
# 2 isaiyaai thamizhaai iruppavanE

film : Agathiar
singers & actors : T.R.Mahalingam, seerkAzhi Govindarajan
music : kunnakkudi vaithyanathan
lyric : ?? [/b]

isaiyAi thamizhAi iruppavanae
engum siva mayamAi nilaipavanae.. nilaipavanae..
ika para sugam aruL parama karuNai vadivae

(innisaiyAi)

ponnezhil mEniyil poosiya veNNeeRum
poonthaLir malar mAlaiyum
polivudan oLividum iLamathi
vAintha senjadai kOlamum
vAnavar gnAniyar vAzhthidum
vadivinai udaiyAi arutperum chudarAi
adiyavar manadhinilae

(isaiyAi)

nandhi dEvanodu indirAthiayarum
vandhu thALiNai vaNangidavae
thandhi mAmuganum vindhai vEl guganum
sandhamAr thamizh muzhangidave
endha vELaiyum maranthidAthu maRai
sindhu nAnmugan paNinthidavae
santhavAr kuzhali indhu nEr vadhani
mangaLambikai magizhnthidavae
kavinuRu mugamadhil iLanagaiyae
kanivuRu vizhigaLil aruL mazhaiyae
suvaipada varuvadhum ezhu suramae
thuNaiyena mozhivathum uyar thamizhae
mandiramAi mAthavmAi thandhiramAi thAragamAi
vazhipadum adiyavar iruvinai podipada
mazhumadhi thazhuvidum iniya abaya karamum
vAintha senjadai kOlamum
vAnavar gnAniyar vAzhthidum
vadivinai udaiyAi arutperum chudarAi
adiyavar manadhinilae

(isaiyAi)

rajraj
1st March 2005, 09:25 AM
T.R.Mahalingam - Song list:

1. EngaL dhraavida (http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=76251#76251)
2. Isaiyaai thamizhaai (http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=76293#76293)
3. Senthamizh thenmozhiyaaL (http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=77831#77831)
4. Thendralodu udan (http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=79679#79679)
5. Kaadhalukku naalu (http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=81561#81561)

rajraj
1st March 2005, 09:28 AM
T.R.Mahalingam - Alphabetic song list:

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2199

rajraj
2nd March 2005, 05:27 AM
Song #3. Senthamizh thaen mozhiyaaL

Movie: Maalai itta mangai(1958)
Music: VR
Lyrics: Kannadhasan
Cast : T.R.Mahalingam,PaNdaribhai

sill endru pootha siru nerunchi kaattinile
nill endru koori niruthi vazhi ponaaLe
nindradhu pol nindraaL nedum dhooram parandhaaL
nirkkumo aavi nilaikkumo nenjam
maNam perumo vaazhve

senthamizh thaen mozhiyaaL nilaavena sirikkum malarkkodiyaaL nilaavena sirikkum malarkkodiyaaL
painkani idhazhin pazha rasam tharuvaaL parugida thalai kunivaaL

kaatrinil pirandhavaLo pudhidhaai karpanai vadithavaLo
kaatrinil pirandhavaLo pudhidhaai karpanai vadithavaLo
setrinil malarndha senthaamaraiyo sevvanthai poo charamo avaL
senthamizh thaen mozhiyaaL nilaavena sirikkum malarkkodiyaal nilaavena sirikkum malarkkodiyaaL
painkani idazhin pazhi rasam tharuvaaL parugida thalai kunivaaL

kaNgaLil neelam viLaithavaLo adhai kadalinil koNdu karaithavaLo
peNNukku peNNe peraasai koLLum perazhagellaam padaithavaLo avaL
senthamizh thaen mozhiyaaL nilaavena sirikkum malarkkodiyaaL nilaavena sirikkum malarkkodiyaaL
painkani idhazhin pazha rasam tharuvaaL parugida thalai kunivaaL

jn
5th March 2005, 04:25 AM
Song #4: thenralOdu udan piRandhaaL(raja raja chozhan)
Movie: raja raja chozhan
Singer: T.R.Mahalingam and Sivaji (dialogue part)
MD: Kunnakkudi vaithyanathan
Lyrics:
Cast: Sivaji, T.R.Mahalingam, Varalakshmi, Muthu raman

Dialogue: thenralOdu udan piRandhaaL senthamizh peNNaaL
avaL then madhurai kOvilile sangam vaLarththaaL
thanjaiyile kudi pugundhu mangalam thandhaaL
dharaNi ellaam pugazh parappum thaayena vandhaaL
thamizh thaayena vandhaaL

TRM: thenralOdu udan piRandhaaL senthamizh peNNaaL
avaL then madhurai kOvilile sangam vaLarththaaL
thamizh thaayena vandhaaL

Dialogue: maNi mudiyil tholkaappiyam veetRirukkum
thiruvadiyil silambOsai paattisaikkum
aNi muththu maalai ettu thogaiyaagum
aatchi seyyum senkole kuRaLaagum
thiruk kuRaLaagum

TRM: maNi mudiyil tholkaappiyam veetRirukkum
thiruvadiyil silambOsai paattisaikkum
aatchi seyyum senkole kuRaLaagum
avaL aatchi seyyum senkole kuRaLaagum..thiruk kuRaLaagum

Dialogue: pulavarellaam padiaththu vaiththa ilakkiyangaL
ponmEni alankaara seedhanangaL
kalai mangai idhazh sindhum punnagaikkE
vilai Edhu thalai thaazhththi vaNangiduvOm
naam vaNangiduvOm

TRM: pulavarellaam padiaththu vaiththa ilakkiyangaL
ponmEni alankaara seedhanangaL
kalai mangai idhazh sindhum punnagaikkE aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
vilai Edhu thalai thaazhththi vaNangiduvOm
naam vaNangiduvOm

madhu
5th March 2005, 04:59 AM
kalai mangai idhazh sindhum punnagaikkE aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jn : TRM paattai anubavichu lyrics ezhudhareengannu nenaikirEn !

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

jn
5th March 2005, 05:28 AM
madhu:)
last Mr.green face edhukku nu puriyalai:)

rajraj
5th March 2005, 05:50 AM
jn: Green stands for envy! :)

kishca
5th March 2005, 10:41 AM
jn: the voice is sivaji's not muthuraman's.

rajraj
8th March 2005, 10:57 AM
Song #5.

Movie: Rathnapuri iLavarasi(1960)
Music: VR
Lyrics: Pattukkottai KalyaaNasundharam
Cast: T.R.Mahalingam,E.V.Saroja

kallaal idhayam vaithu kadum vishathaal kaN amaithu
kaNakkilaa poigaLukku kaaraNamaai naakkamaithu
kaLLa uruvamaithu kannakkol kai amaiithu
nallavar endra silarai ulagam nadamaada vittadhadaa

kaadhalukku naalu kaNgaL kaLvanukku reNdu kaNgaL
kaamukarin uruvathile kaNNum illai kaadhum illai
kaadhalukku reNdu kaNgaL

needhiyin ethirgaLaai nilaimaari thiribavargaL
needhiyin ethirgaLaai nilaimaari thiribavargaL
paadhaiyil nadappadhillai paramanai madhippadhillai
paadhagam konjamillai paNbum illai muraiyum illai
paadhagam konjamillai paNbum illai muraiyum illai
pedhai peNgal idhai perumbaalum uNarvadhillai

kaadhalukku naalu kaNgal kaLvanukku reNdu kaNgal
kaadhalukku reNdu kaNgaL

vedham illai enbaar vedhaantham pesiduvaar
vedham illai enbaar vedhaantham pesiduvaar
petravaLai thaai enbaar matravaLai paei enbaar
kaadhal aram enbaar karpin vilai ennavenbaar
kaNmoodi maadhar idhai kadaisivarai arivadhillai

kaadhalukku naalu kaNgaL kaLvanukku reNdu kaNgaL
kaadhalukku naalu kaNgaL

jn
8th March 2005, 11:23 PM
jn: the voice is sivaji's not muthuraman's.

Thanks Kischa..I have edited my post.

jn
15th April 2005, 09:56 PM
Song #6: aadai katti vantha nilavO (amudhavalli)
Movie: amudhavalli
Singers: T.R.Mahalingam and P.Susheela
MD: MSV
Lyrics: Pattukkottai kalyaana sundharam
Cast: T.R.Mahalingam, Thaambaram Lalitha

TRM: aadai katti vantha nilavO
kaNNil mEdai katti aadum ezhilO
ivaL aadai katti vantha nilavO
kuLir Odaiyil midhakkum malar jaadaiyil sirikkum ivaL
kaadu vittu vantha mayilO
nenjil kUdu katti vaazhum kuyilO

PS: thuLLith thuLLi aadum inba lOga mangkai
sontham uLLa raaNi ivaL naaga mangkai
thuLLith thuLLi aadum inba lOga mangkai
ellaiyaRRa aasaiyil Odi vanthaaL
thaLLi vittup pOna pin thEdi vanthaaL
ellaiyaRRa aasaiyil Odi vanthaaL
thaLLi vittup pOna pin thEdi vanthaaL
kiLai thaan irundhu kaniyE sumanthu
thaniyE kidantha kodi thaanE
kaNNaaLan unaik kalaandhananthamE peRa
kaavinil vaazhum kiLi naanE

thuLLith thuLLi aadum inba lOga mangkai

TRM: anthi veyyil niRaththavaLO
kulungkum alli malar inaththavaLO
unthi unthi vizhum nIralaiyil
Odi viLaiyaadi maNam sinthi varum thenRal thaanO
inbam thantha mayil ivaL thaanO

PS: aahaa..mm..laalaa..
anbu manam kUduvadhil thunbamillai
TRM: anji anji Oduvadhil inbamillai
PS: vINai mattum irunthaal naadhamillai
TRM: mIttum viral pirinthaal gaanamillai

Both: idhayam kaninthu edhaiyum maRanthu
iruvar magizhndhu uRavaada
TRM: nan nEramidhE
PS: manam mIRidudhE
Both: nan nEramidhE
manam mIRidudhE
manam maaLigai Oram aadiduvOm

TRM: aaaaaaa
PS: aaaaaaaaaa
Both: aaaaaa

TRM: aadai katti vantha nilavO
kuLir Odaiyil midhakkum malar jaadaiyil sirikkum ivaL
kaadu vittu vantha mayilO
nenjil kUdu katti vaazhum kuyilO

mugil aadai katti vantha nilavO

S.Balaji
15th August 2005, 03:37 PM
Jn

Thanks a lot for Aadai katti vandha nilavo.. TRM's evergreen...

I am not seeing the lyrics for .. NAANANDRI YAAR VARUVAAR.

Lovely song .. from Aabogi ragam...

S.Balaji
15th August 2005, 03:42 PM
Jn,

When TRM sings for.... .ANJI ANJI ODUVATHIL ENBAMILLAI..

You have mentioned as Laabamillai..

Reconfirm pls.

madhu
15th August 2005, 03:51 PM
Balaji : u r correct.. it is inbamillai only..

JN : the song "Adai katti" is picturised on TRM and Tambaram Lalitha and lyrics by Pattukottai kalyanasundaram

S.Balaji
15th August 2005, 03:57 PM
[quote] thaLLi vittup pOna pin thEdi vanthaaL

Is it not Thannai vittu pona pin ??

thaniyE kidantha kodi thaanE

Ending with Naane .. and not Thaane ... I think

kaNNaaLan unaik kalaandhananthamE peRa
kaavinil vaazhum kiLi naanE

Kaaviya raaniyum ini naanay ... I think

madhu
15th August 2005, 04:03 PM
Balaji !

"thaLLi vittu pOna pin" and "kAvinil vAzhum kiLi nAnE" are correct. (once checked with a book of pattukottai too ! :P ). I still remember.

But still I too hv the doubt about "thaniyE kidantha kodi ....." :roll: (andha book ippo illai.. refer seyya !!)

rajraj
16th August 2005, 05:03 AM
Song 7.

Movie: maalai itta mangai
music: VR
Lyrics: kaNNadhaasan
Cast: T.R.Mahalingam

naan andri yaar varuvaar anbe naan andri yaar varuvaar
iLa nangai unnai veru yaar thoduvaar
naan andri yaar varuvaar anbe naan andri yaar varuvaar

yen illai yen illai indroruvar arugil vandhaar
yen illai indroruvar arugil vandhaar
mutham enakke endraar sonnaar thandhaar
pesaamal pesugindraar vaNNam paadaamal paadugindraar

vaNNa paavai undhan idhazh kovai thannil
indha kaayam enna vandha maayam enna
vaNNa paavai undhan idhazh kovai thannil
indha kaayam enna vandha maayam enna

kooNdu kiLi eduthu konjinen

idhazh kovai ena ninaithu koNdadho

kooNdu kiLi eduthu konjinen

idhazh kovai ena ninaithu koNdadho
mutham thandhadho sondham koNdadho

innum sandhegamaa

kaNNe

kaNNaa
maadhennai yaar thoduvar endhan mannan
umai andri yaar varuvaar
maadhennai yaar thoduvaar

kanni maalai kaNdum inba cholai vandhum
innum kobam enna minnum naaNam enna

kaadhal kadhai(?) pirandha uLLame

adhil aasai madai kadandha veLLame
indha nenjame endhan sondhame

inbam paN paaduvom

kaNNe

kaNNaa
naam andri yaar arivaar anbe naam andri yaar arivaar
inba nalam naadum maNa inbam yaar peruvaar

madhu
16th August 2005, 06:54 AM
raj ! malayitta mangai ella songs lyric-um kannadasan.. sondha padam AchE !

rajraj
16th August 2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks madhu! :) adhu marandhu pochu!

S.Balaji
16th August 2005, 11:05 AM
Dear Raj Raj,

Thank you very much for posting the entire song ...

Lovely song... with a carnatic base...

By the way, who was the female singer ?

Who was the heroene ??

madhu
16th August 2005, 11:14 AM
there are two heroinew.. sisters... Pandari bai and Mynavathi..

jn
17th August 2005, 02:26 AM
S.Balaji and Madhu: Thanks for pointing out the mistakes and correcting them. I appreciate your help very much. Pls keep checking my lyrics and let me know if it needs correction. I don't know much about the info like MD, lyricist or cast on these songs. I just listen to them and post the lyrics:)
Thanks for madhu for adding cast and lyricist info.

I have corrected inbamillai...
I will correct the other mistakes if you both or some other experts confirm about the lyrics. Thanks :)

jn
20th January 2006, 02:40 AM
Song#8: sangam muzhangi varum(aada vantha dheyvam)
Movie: aada vantha dheyvam
Singers: T.R.Mahalingam, P.Susheela
Lyrics: Marudhakasi
Cast: T.R.Mahalingam, Anjali dhevi and E.V.Saroja

TRM: sangam muzhangi varum singaara thamizh kalaiyE
inbam uruvaagap pongum anbin alaiyE
sangam muzhangi varum singaara thamizh kalaiyE
sangam muzhangki varum singaara thamizh kalaiyE

PS sinthum isaiyamudham then podhigai thenRalO
sinthum isaiyamudham then podhigai thenRalO
sengkarumbO kani rasamO thEn kuyilin konjalO
sengkarumbO kani rasamO thEn kuyilin konjalO

TRM: AAAAAAAAAA
PS: inbam uruvaagap pongum anbin alaiyE

TRM: kaNNE sakunthalaiyE kaN kavarum OviyamE
kaNamum unai maRavEn en kaadhal kaaviyamE
PS: mannavarE Ezhaikku vaazhvaLiththa dheyvamE
ennuyirE inRu mudhal umakkE thaan sonthamE

Both AAAAAAAAAA

TRM: peNNE mumthaajE pErazhagin bimbamE
pEsum piRai nilavE en vaazhvin inbamE
PS: en manadhil konjidum inippaana eNNamE
en naaLum aziyaadhu nam kaadhal thiNNamE

Both: AAAAAAAAAA

jn
3rd February 2006, 03:08 AM
Song#9: sottu sottunu sottudhu (aada vantha dheyvam)
Movie: aada vantha dheyvam
Singers: T.R.Mahalingam, P.Susheela
Lyrics: Marudhakasi
Cast:T.R.Mahalingam, Anjali dhevi and E.V.Saroja

TRM: sottu sottunu sottudhu paaru ingE
PS: mazhai kottu kottunu kottudhu paaru angE

TRM: kashtap padum Ezhai sinthum neththi vErvai pOlE
kashtap padum Ezhai sinthum neththi vErvai pOlE
avan kanjikkaaga kalangi vidum kaNNIr thuLiyaip pOlE
avan kanjikkaaga kalangi vidum kaNNIr thuLiyaip pOlE

PS: muttaap payalE mULai irukkaa?
TRM: AAAA!!??
enRu Ezhai mElE dhuttu padaichcha sImaan
aLLik kottuRa vaarththai pOlE
TRM: OhO..
enRu Ezhai mElE dhuttu padaichcha sImaan
aLLik kottuRa vaarththai pOlE
TRM: sottu sottunu sottudhu paaru ingk

TRM: muzhukka muhzukka nanainja pinnE mukkaadu edhukku?
muzhukka muzhukka nanainja pinnE mukkaadu edhukku?
un mukkaattai nIkku
thalai Iraththaip pOkku
un mukkaattai nIkku
thalai Iraththaip pOkku
PS: irukka idam koduththaa ennaiyE nI thaakkuRE
irukka idam koduththaa ennaiyE nI thaakkuRE
kuRukku mUlaip paayilE kONa budhdhiyaik kaattuRE

TRM: pazhukka pazhukka ulaiyil kaaychchum irumbaip pOlE
pazhukka pazhukka ulaiyil kaaychchum irumbaip pOlE
mugam sivakkudhu.. ippO adhu sirippadhum eppo?
PS: kuLichchi muzhugi vittu kuLirchchiyaaga Odi vaa
kuLichchi muzhugi vittu kuLirchchiyaaga Odi vaa
sevanthu pONa mugaththilE sirippai nIyum kaaNalaam
TRM: kottu kottunu kottudhu paaru angE
PS: sottu sottunu sottudhu paaru ingE

SN23
3rd February 2006, 02:05 PM
jn mam: oru vishayam. very recently I got a cassette from my friend, which contained some good old songs rendered by PS, PL, JR, Jikki alongwith some upcoming singers. It was released in 1992-93. In that album, I listened to the sottu sottu-nnu paaru inge song. It was digital recorded, sung by PS. To my surprise, the male singer was Krishnaraj (Deva's disciple) who sang veLLarikka pinju veLLarikka. He sang very well. Of course, PS too sang well though the ageing was very evident in her voice. Have you lisened to it?

SN23
3rd February 2006, 02:07 PM
"sImaan aLLik kottuRa vaarththai pOlE" means what? sImaan???

jn
3rd February 2006, 10:53 PM
SN23: I haven't listened to the cassette you mentioned. I have the original song.

sImaan means rich person.
May be the spelling confused you.
rain is puring like the words of a rich person scolding a poor man,"Fool, do you have brain?".
appadiye literalaa translate paNNirukken.
muttaap payale = muttaaL payale (fool, stupid)
mULai = brain
dhuttu(kaasu) padaichcha sImaan = wealthy person
aLLik kottuRa vaarththai pOle = saththamaa thitradhaip pOla.
mudhaLaali thozhilaaLiyaip paathu pada pada nu thitraappale mazhai peyyudhu nu kavinjar solraar.

rajraj
3rd February 2006, 11:16 PM
:clap:

jn: seemaan is colloquial variation for sreemaan (rich man) . :)

stranger
4th February 2006, 12:19 AM
:clap:
jn: seemaan is colloquial variation for sreemaan (rich man) . :)

enakku theriya, vaaththiyaarttayE kaithattal vaangiya mudhal maaNavi neengaLthaan, jn! :thumbsup:

jn
4th February 2006, 03:44 AM
:D
Raj: enna irundhaalum vaaththiyaar vaaththiyaar thaan, naan naan thaan nu niroobichittenga:)
sreemaan enRaal "thiru" as in Mr. enRu kooda oru arththam irukkaa?
stranger: vaaththiyaar edhai ninaichi kai thatraar nu therinjikittu apram paaraattunga:)

stranger
4th February 2006, 04:46 AM
I strongly believe that it is an applause from vaaththiyaar for the good work ! :D

rajraj
4th February 2006, 05:10 AM
I strongly believe that it is an applause from vaaththiyaar for the good work ! :D

You are right stranger! I never hesitated to praise my students. In fact, students who did well and educated me got a prize from me,usually a box of chocolate. As they say the best way to learn is to teach ! :) :) :)

Sriman is also used for thiru and vice versa ! :)

madhu
5th February 2006, 07:45 AM
congrats JN ! :clap:

(periyavanga kitte claps vangina madhiri.. kutti pappa kitteyum claps vangiya perumai ungalukku kidaikkattumE !!)

jn
7th February 2006, 01:00 AM
Raj, stranger and madhu: thanks for being so nice:)

thumburu
27th February 2006, 03:43 PM
I happened to listen an alaap in Simhendramadhyamam ragam , followed by a short song on Lord Shiva from an old film , may be "ThiruviLaiyadal" by the great TRMahalingam yesterday. I really doubt if any of our current TFM crop singers can even rise up to 10% of his sterling voice quality and range. Wow!!! That alaap alone deserved a grammy. They don't make people with the kind of rare talent like MKT,TRM,PUC,SG,KJY,SPB,JC these days.

jn
1st August 2006, 12:32 AM
Song#10 : naan dheyvamaa (kavalai illaadha manidhan)
Movie: kavalai illaadha manidhan
Singer: T.R.Mahalingam
MD: MSV - TKR
Cast: Chandhira Babu,Rajasulochana

naan dheyvama?
illai nee dheyvamaa?
namakkuLLE yaar dheyvam sollammaa (naan)

enakkenRu thaay thandhai yaarumillai
unaip peRRa thaayaarukkup pErumillai
pasi eduththaalum enakkEdhum tharuvaarillai
piRar koduththaalum thaay unakkup pasiyE illai (naan)

paNam kaasu kadan thandhu veettai eduththaan
unakkup paal pazham kadan thandhu kaNNai maRaiththaan
ini nadai paadhai thanil endhan thirunaaLammaa
adhu nadamaada mudiyaadha unakkEdhammaa? (naan)

jn
22nd September 2006, 04:19 AM
Song#11 :iLaiya kanniyin azhagiya vadhanam (abalai anjugam)
Movie: abalai anjugam
Singers: T.R.Mahalingam, S.Janaki
MD: K.V.Mahadhevan
Cast:

TRM: iLaiya kanniyin azhagiya vadhanam
malarndhadhevvidhamO?
adhu ilaiyillaamal kodiyillaamal
vaLarndhadhevvidhamO?

SJ: pazhagu thamizhil pudhumaiyin inimai
piRandhadhevvidhamO?
padiththa paadamum pazhaiya kaalamum
maRandhadhevvidhamO?

TRM: maangkiLai mElE poongkodi thaavip
padarndhadhevvidhamO?
SJ: maan vizhi ungaL maarbinil thaavi
malarndhadhevvidhamO?

SJ: poo magaL mEni aavadhinaalE
polindhadhevvidhamO?
TRM: maan magaL mEni thaamarai pOlE
sivandhadhevvidhamO?

Both: nanaindha boomiyidhil neeyum naanum
iNaindhadhevvidhamO?
kadalum nadhiyum sErndhadhu pOlE
kalandhadhevvidhamO?

rajraj
22nd October 2006, 09:28 AM
song 12. (with T.S.Bhagavathi)

Movie: naam iruvar
Music: Sudharsanam
Lyric: Bharathiyar
Cast: T.R.Mahalaingam,T.A.Jayalakshmi

solai malar oLiyo unadhu sundhara punnagaidhaan
neela kadal alaiye kaNNammaa unadhu nenjin alaigaLadi

kaNNil theriyudhu oru thotram adhil kaNNan azhagu muzhudhillai
naNNum muga vadivaik kaaNil andha nalla malar chirippai kaaNom

veNNilavu nee enakku mevum kadal naan unakku
paNNin sruthi nee enakku paatinimai naan unakku
eNNi eNNi paarthidilo eNNi eNNi paarthidilo
eNNamillai nin suvaikke
kaNNin maNi pondravaLe katti amudhe kaNNammaa
veNNilavu nee enakku mevum kadal naan unakku
veNNilavu nee kaNNammaa

s ramaswamy
14th June 2011, 05:57 PM
தி எப் லவர் அவர்களே,

நல்ல பாட்டு, மகாலிங்கம் சுசீலா டுஒவின் குரல்களில். ஈ வி சரோஜா என்றுமே அழகாக தோன்றுவார். என்ன ஆச்சரியம் என்றால் இவர் மெயின் heroine ரோல்களில் அதிகம் வந்ததில்லை. ஏன் என்ற காரணம் எனக்கு புடி படவில்லை. தி ஆர் raamannavai திருமணம் செய்து கொண்டு சீக்கிரம் திரை உலகை விட்டு விட்டார் என்று எனக்கு தோன்றுகிறது.

இந்த படத்தில் மோர் famous பாட்டுக்கள் என்றால் "மழை கொட்டு கொட்டு கொட்டுது பார் அங்கே" அண்ட் "கோடி கோடி இன்பம் பெறவே தேடி வந்த செல்வம், கொஞ்சும் சலங்கை கலீர் கலீர் என ஆட வந்த தெய்வம்" ஆகியவை. நான் சிறு வயதில் பார்த்த படம் நினைவுகள் சிலவே உள்ளன.

இதே காலகட்டத்தில் மும்தாஜ் மகல்=ஷாஹ் ஜெஹனை வைத்து அதே கே வி மகாதேவன் சி எஸ் ஜெயராமனை-சுசீலாவை வைத்து படைத்த மிக பிரபலமான பாடல் "காவியமா நெஞ்சின் ஓவியமா" என்ற அருமையான ஒன்று. சிவாஜியும் எம் என் ராஜமும் இணைந்து தாஜ் மகாலில் தோன்றும் காட்சி "பாவை விளக்கு" படத்தில் வந்தது. அது மோர் famous என்று நினைக்கிறேன். அகிலன் novel ஐ வைத்து எடுக்க பட்ட படம். பலாப் ஆகி விட்டது. ஆனால் பாடல்கள் எல்லாமே அருமை.

அன்புடன்

ராமஸ்வாமி

tfmlover
14th June 2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjam88_sottu-sottudhu-sottudhu_creation

Regards

tfmlover
16th June 2011, 12:13 AM
TRM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjb1qe_aasai-konden-

amudhame_creation

Regards

tfmlover
16th June 2011, 12:17 AM
TRM 's version

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjb1r5_kodi-kodi-inbam_creation

P Leela & P Susheela

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjb1z1_kodi-kodi-inbam-tharave_creation

Regards

sivaramakrishnanG
24th June 2011, 07:54 PM
அன்பு tfml அவர்களே,
நான் பல வருடங்களாக எல்லா வலைத்தளங்களிலும் தேடிக் கிடைக்காத ஒரு பாடல் சமீபத்தில் கிடைத்தது.
அது எந்தப் பாடல் என்று உங்களுக்கே தெரிந்திருக்கும்.
ஆம்!
ஷண்முக நதியோரம் சரவணப் பொய்கையிலே
உன்முகம் காணுதய்யா முருகய்யா
உலகமே மயங்குதய்யா ...என்ற பாடல்தான்.
இந்தப் பாடலை உங்களிடமும் நான் கேட்டிருந்தேன்.

இலங்கை வானொலியில், சிலநாட்களுக்கு முன்னர், காலை ஒலிபரப்பில், இந்தப் பாடல் வானில் கலந்து வந்த போது அதை எனது தம்பி பதிவு செய்து நமது பேராசிரியரிடம் கொடுத்தான்.அவர் அதை எனக்கு அனுப்பி வைத்தார்.
குன்னக்குடி வைத்தியநாதன் அவர்களை தன வீட்டிற்கு அழைத்து , அவரது இசையில் ஒரு பக்திப் பாடல் பாடவேண்டும் என்ற தன விருப்பத்தை தெரிவித்த போது,T ..R .மகாலிங்கம் அவர்களுக்காக எழுதி இசை அமைக்கப் பட்ட பாடல்.
இதோ அந்த என்விருப்பப் பாடல்;-

ஷண்முக நதியோரம் சரவணப் பொய்கையிலே (http://www.mediafire.com/?84u0m8ct7ckpr2k)

என்றும் அன்புடன்,

tfmlover
10th January 2013, 11:24 PM
Kaayaatha kaanagathE ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfF-ek8tec

Regards

tfmlover
9th May 2014, 08:42 PM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VIN/TRM2_zps0298f3a6.jpghttp://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VIN/TRM_zps5ed04f31.jpg

T G லிங்கப்பா இசையில் விளையாட்டு பொம்மையில் 1954 ..
T R மஹாலிங்கம் பாடும்
தீர்த்தக் கரையினிலே --மஹாகவி சுப்ரமண்ய பாரதி பாடல்

http://www.inbaminge.com/t/v/Vilayattu%20Bommai/

Regards

tfmlover
9th May 2014, 08:43 PM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VIN/trm3_zpsf58e60dd.jpg

Regards

Isai Rasigan
9th May 2014, 09:44 PM
LP records are one thing, but where do you get these old posters from?

Isai Rasigan
10th May 2014, 08:01 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/ms2b9x.jpg