PDA

View Full Version : Is there any foreigner who can speak Tamil ?

Soomy
28th February 2005, 03:57 AM
Hi, does it exist that foreigners can speak Tamil not especially in India and Sri Lanka (for example Singapore, Malaysia, etc.) ? It is outrageous or fantastic for Tamil people that a foreigner speak them in Tamil, what is their reaction ?

Mad Max
28th February 2005, 04:14 AM
Hi, does it exist that foreigners can speak Tamil not especially in India and Sri Lanka (for example Singapore, Malaysia, etc.) ? It is outrageous or fantastic for Tamil people that a foreigner speak them in Tamil, what is their reaction ?I do not know why it should be unacceptable or outrageous.

Anyway, there is a member here who is a white canadian male, who speaks tamil. His indian name is Skandavelu Nadarajah.

r_kk
28th February 2005, 06:42 AM
Recently there was a article in Kumudam about the some fluently Tamil speaking personnels working with China internationa radio broadcast.
http://ta.chinabroadcast.cn/
Some of them had even changed their name in Tamil because of their interest with Tamil language...

Mad Max
28th February 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi, does it exist that foreigners can speak Tamil not especially in India and Sri Lanka (for example Singapore, Malaysia, etc.) ? It is outrageous or fantastic for Tamil people that a foreigner speak them in Tamil, what is their reaction ?

Oh, by the way Tamil is an official language of the governments of Malaysia, Singapore & Sri Lanka. It might be possible the local chinese or Malays might learn some Tamil from their interaction with the Tamil community there.

Malay/Singaporean Tamils like RR & NOV can throw more light on this.

santosh108
28th February 2005, 08:51 AM
Tamil is a non-compulsory course offered by the National University of Singapore (NUS).

A total of 400 undergraduates (non-Tamils) have taken or are currently undergoing this course.

Apart from local Chinese and Malays, it also consist a sizeable number of foreign students.

Mad Max
28th February 2005, 08:54 AM
Tamil is a non-compulsory course offered by the National University of Singapore (NUS).

A total of 400 undergraduates (non-Tamils) have taken or are currently undergoing this course.

Apart from local Chinese and Malays, it also consist a sizeable number of foreign students.

That's amazing. It is also gratifying to learn that non-Tamils are taking such an active interest in our language.

santosh108
28th February 2005, 08:57 AM
I came across this article on an Australian who is fluent in Tamil. (hope the link works)

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2005/1/22/features/9447145&sec=f\
eatures

NOV
28th February 2005, 12:36 PM
Before I comment on this, I would like to know the motive of the questioner. Why is learning Tamil outrageous?

Soomy
28th February 2005, 09:53 PM
This is not my motive, this yes-no question for tamil people point of view, not mine...

visu
2nd March 2005, 06:26 PM
This happened to my friend in melbourne. He went to a shop and heard some one asking " Thambi nalla irukingala". He looked around for indians .Couldn't find any. Actually it was the aussie shop attendant who spoke in tamil. He said to my friend that he stayed in pondichery for 10 yrs(Aurobindo) he married a tamil girl and they have kids and now residing in melbourne. My friend got a disount for his purchase as well.
Not bad. :-)

swathy
9th March 2005, 02:23 PM
Long back i watched an interview in Vanakkam Tamizhagam . His name is Madurai Manickam. He said he loved one tamil girl but her parents didnt accept him. Just to impress her he started learning tamil later his love increase. he spoke tamil very well much better than our TV comperes

Bipolar
17th July 2008, 12:35 AM
I too remember that guy... anyone know what Mr Madurai Manickam is doing these days?

I seem to remember... he even appeared in an episode of a Tamil "teleserial" (I think it was called "Shakti") on Sun TV at that time... I think he wanted to act in a Tamil film also...

Unfortunately people didn't seem to appreciate his efforts...

skanthan
28th July 2008, 09:21 PM
To Mad Max,

Previously, I had one lady who was teaching me Tamil and I was learning it just fine, but the after she stopped teaching me/I had lost contact with her, my Tamil learning has dwindled and anytime I try to start agian, I fail. I would like to start learning again, but, I have no one here who can teach me Tamil on a regular basis like my previous teacher did.

I remember how not to long after I started learng Tamil, I was sitting one day in the Ganesha temple saying some Tamil out loud. ie: naaRkaali. sOrvaaga. karaNdi. etc and some people who heard me saying the Tamil words came and formed a half circle aroud me and listened to me speak in Tamil. They were so impressed with me. aanaal naan ennudaiya konjatthamizh maRandhu vittEn. :( ippOddhum naan hindhiyil pEsugirEn. :|

Vahini
3rd August 2008, 10:59 PM
Tamil :P