PDA

View Full Version : PAAYA recipe plss

dew
28th February 2005, 10:58 PM
As we get excellent varieties of rice noodles in the chinese stores in US, it is very easy to make idiyappam. I used to make kurma or sambar as side dish. I was wondering if anyone can let me know the recipe for paaya which would go well with idiyappam. Thanks in advance.

bhargavi.raj
28th February 2005, 11:59 PM
Hi Dew,
which variety ( name & brand) of rice noodles is best for idiyappam recipe?
I am just learning southindian dishes,will be great if u specify the details.
Thanks

saji
1st March 2005, 01:42 AM
I found this paaya recipe by Pearl Subramaniam in Anglo Indian recipes thread. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Paya - with Green Masala - Goat's trotters
Ingredients
1 Dozen Goat s legs clean, wash & cook with tspn Turmeric powder; & a little salt for 1 hr. in a Pressure Cooker from the time the Cooker hiss s put the stopper, lower the flame & leave to cook for 1 hour. 1. Whole Spices: 1 pc of Pattai; 6-8 Cloves; Elakas 4-6 nos. Finely Mince & Keep:- 2 Onions; 2 green chillies, 8-10 mint leaves the balance of the bunch of coriander leaves (keep a tbspn for garnishing). 2 Tomatoes Grind to a smooth paste the following: 1 pc Ginger, 8-10 pods of Garlic; 2-3 Green Chillies; of bunch of Green Corriander leaves; 1 tspn. Broiled Sombu. Keep aside. Separately Grind to a smooth paste:- Scraped Coconut with 1 1 Tbspns. Kus Kus (soak kuskus in hot water for 15/20 mins drain off the water add the kuskus to the Coconut & grind to a smooth paste) - Keep aside. Other Ingredients: Oil 6-8 Tbspns; Lime Juice from 1 lime or to taste.

Method
Heat Oil fry the whole spices, add the Minced Ingredients & fry till Onions are brown, add items 3 & fry for 2-3 mins. On a low flame, now add item 4 ingredients mix well, add chopped tomatoes & fry till soft add the boiled trotters & soup mix well higher flame & leave to bubble nicely for 10 mins or till the gravy has obtained it s thickness remove from flame add lime juice, mix well garnish with chopped coriander leaves & serve with iddiappam, parathas, chapattis etc.,

Paya - Hot Curry (Goat's Trotters)
Ingredients
1 Dozen Goat s legs clean, wash & cook with tspn Turmeric powder; & a little salt for 1 hr. in a Pressure Cooker from the time the Cooker hiss s put the stopper, lower the flame & leave to cook for 1 hour.
Whole Spices: 1 pc of Pattai; 4-6 Cloves;

Finely Mince & Keep:- 2 Onions; 2 Green chillies, 8-10 mint leaves; a few Curry Leaves; bunch of coriander leaves.

Grind to a smooth paste the following: 1 pc Ginger, 8-10 pods of Garlic; -1/2 tspn Jeera Seeds. 4. Grind separately & Keep: scraped coconut to a smooth paste & keep. 5. Dry grind (powder) 1 tspn. Broiled Sombu. Keep aside.

Other Ingredients: Oil 6-8 Tbspns; Chillie Powder-1/2-3/4 tspn; Corriander powder 1 tspn. Lime Juice from 1 lime or to taste, 2 Tomatoes finely chopped.

For Garnish: 1-2 Tbspns of Chopped Corriander leaves.

Method
Heat Oil, when Oil is hot add the whole spices & fry, add the minced items & fry till onions are brown, lower flame and add the Ginger/Garlic/Jeera paste & fry for 2-3 mins., add chillie powder & Corriander powder & continue to fry for 2-3 mins on low heat till a good smell arises & oil comes to the surface (you could add a little (say 6-8 tbspns of the soup - if the masala is too dry it should not burn). Now add the tomatoes & continue to fry till soft, add the Coconut paste mix well, add the soup & the trotters, mix well check the Salt & add if necessary (because U have used salt while boiling the trotters keep this in mind) higher flame & leave to bubble nicely for 10/12 mins or till the gravy has obtained its thickness remove from flame add lime juice, & sombu powder mix well garnish with chopped coriander leaves & serve with Iddiappam, Dosa, Parathas, Chappatti s.

kavithasenthil
1st March 2005, 03:25 AM
Hello Bargaviraj,

If u want to have idiappam then buy in the frozen one in indian grocery. The rice noodle u get in chineese store is very different. It won't taste or smell like a idiappam. The chineese one is toally differnt.

I can post a very good chinese rice noodle recipe for you if u want(i got from one of my malaysian friend) and the best brand is
'Asian best brand' It has elephant picture on it.

bhargavi.raj
1st March 2005, 04:27 AM
Thankyou kavithasenthil,
Post the recipe. will certinally like to try it out.
Bhargavi.

US
1st March 2005, 09:43 PM
I think idiyappam and sevvai are both same. In which case rice noodles are excellent. I have tried making sevvai with THAI KITCHEN THIN RICE NOODLES which i bought from kroger. Its very easy to make and very handy. I follow the below procedure for making sevvai.

add rice noodles in boiled water (for exact proportions check directions for use on the cover). close it for few minutes. once done drain excess water if any add salt and mix well.

For seasoning
coconut sevvai
--------------
Heat oil in a pan , add mustard , green chillies,
coconut. fry for just 1 min and add to sevvai , mix well and serve.

Lemon sevvai
------------
Heat oil in a pan , add mustard , green chillies,
tumeric powder. add this to sevvai and add lemon juice.

Try this and i am sure this will become a regular breakfast item since the prepartion time is not even
10 mins!!!!!!!

Regards
US

dew
1st March 2005, 11:09 PM
Hey Bhargavi,
I usually get emperor rice noodles from chinese stores or concord instant idiyappam from Indian stores. I personally feel that the rice noodles turn out great for idiyappam and is so tender too. The only thing to keep in mind is we got to drain the idiyappam after cooking it for atleast 4 hrs or more to get rid of the moisture. Try it out and hope you will like it.

Hi Dew,
which variety ( name & brand) of rice noodles is best for idiyappam recipe?
I am just learning southindian dishes,will be great if u specify the details.
Thanks

gaya3usa
2nd March 2005, 04:59 AM
When using the chinese noodles - Here is what I do.
1. Add hot boil water to the noodles and close with a lid.
2. Let it stand for 15 ~ 20 mins
3. The noodles should be soft and easy to cut.
4. Now drain the excess water
5. Steam the noodles in a food steamer for 12- 15 mins
:arrow: http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/IdliSteamer.html
6. If you don't have one you can use the idli tray, split in 2 or 3 batches to steam the noodlies

These noodles will be soft and dry that it can suit any Indian recipe sweet or spicy.

I hope this tip helps :idea:

Gayathri

kavithasenthil
3rd March 2005, 02:19 AM
Bargavi,
Sorry for not posting the chinese noodle recipe till date. I tried the recipe the same day but it didn't turned good. Something wrong in my preparation. I will try gain this evening and post the recipe for you.

bhargavi.raj
3rd March 2005, 03:25 AM
Hi all,
Thanks a ton for the recipes and advises. I will soon try these recipes once i do my shopping for them. I am sure My southindian hubby will love that!
Bhargavi.Raj

kavithasenthil
4th March 2005, 03:17 AM
Hi Bargavi, Here u go for rice noodle recipe.

Chinese Style Rice Noodles

1/4 pack Asian best brand noodle
Soak the noodle in hot water for 20-25 mins. Drain well.
---
1/4 of medium sized Onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 whole chilli(more if you want hot)
grind the above in to fine paste.

4 green onion(cut in to small pices)
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 tomato(Remove the juice and seeds and dice them)
1/4 cup cucumber(Remove the seeds and dice)
Soy sauce

Take 2 tb spoon of oil in a non stick wide pan. when the oil becomes hot add the ground mixture and fry well in med-low fire till the raw smell goes off. Add green onion,tomato,peas,cucumber.
Fry for some time say 2 mins. Now add the noodle and mix well.
Add soy sauce little by little(say 1 ts at a time),mix well in low fire.Taste it. If you feel enough salt then stop adding soy sauce and fry till most of the moisture evauporated. Otherwise repeat the process of adding soy sauce.

Fry till you get almost dry noodles.(Drain the water well after soaking)
In this recipe u r not adding salt separatly. The salt in the soy sauce is enough.

You can add other vegies like carrot,beans,sprouts,fried tofu ect.
In my opinion,try simple verson first.

Non.Vegitarians can add fried shrimp or egg.

Let me know how it turned otu.