PDA

View Full Version : Karnataka Recipes (from old forum)

Shoba
1st March 2005, 12:03 PM
Topic on Karnataka recipes started by CI on the previous forum

http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/10360.16.11.44.html

Shoba

Hi!
I had made a post and it disappeared! Anyway...I was in Bangalore & Mysore recently and had the good fortune to taste North Karnataka cuisine at the Kamath Restaurant along B'lore-M'sore road. Everything was delicious, right down to the humble Kosumalli. And their Jawar rotis, with the generous dollop of butter-oh my!

Not to mention the 'street delicacies' on the push carts, just off the high way in Mysore. Our family friend's wife is a gifted and loving cook, and we had our fill of Bisi Bele Baath!

By the looks of it, we'll be going back to Karnataka very soon, and I would like to savour as much local vegetarian cuisine as possible. The 5 Star Hotels dont appeal to us, albeit they might have their own gifted cooks, but nothing like eating food sans the hype of decorations and fusion-confusion, no?

I have pulled out the Karnataka Recipe thread on to this new forum, and hopefully readers can post their recommendations on where to eat, what (vegetarian) in Karnataka.

Very many thanks in advance!
Shoba

dev
Regular Hubber

Hi Shoba,

Try out the chaats U get in MG Road FoodWorld...Especially Bhel puri...

For authentic karnataka food U can try Halli Mane... It's located somewhere in Malleswaram... Don't remember the place right...try ragi rotis and akki rotis ,kokum sherbet. Halli Mane also has a range of special dosas also...Meals too will be excellent...

If U would like to try Andhra meals,I would recommend Bheemas...It's just behind the MG road Times of India Building(WIPRO office)...ie,church Street...

For a good multi cuisine Buffet ,u can try Orange County in Manipal Centre...

& u can get delicious Punjabi parathas(stuffed ones) in a small eatery called Paratha Plaza on Sanjay Nagar main road...

Dear Dev,

Thanks for the recommendations and have noted them down.

We tend to be partial towards local food when we travel and prefer to sample cuisines related to that particular territory!

Thanks once again!

Shoba

dev
Regular Hubber

If so, Halli mane is a must try when in Bangalore...

Hemant Trivedi
Pro Hubber

Dev,

I am staying in next street to Halli Mane.

The only thing I can say about the food is,
" BULLSHIT"
There are hundreds of hand cart sellers dishing out better fare.

If you don't trust me,
Try It.

dev
Regular Hubber

Well, each person has different liking... I believe Halli mane is a gud place to have traditional karnataka food... & I've heard the same from many of my friends & neighbours... If U know a better place,pls let me know...I will try it out when I am back in Bangalore...

& I said the same U said when I first tasted the food at MTR... But I still see so many many fans of the food served at MTR...

Hemant Trivedi
Pro Hubber

Hello Dev,

MTR foods chairman Sri.Sadanand Maiyya is an old friend.
He himself tests all spice powders and each batch is used in cooking food for the factory workers.
I have had food in their factory with Mr.Mayya who would sometimres wait for me and send for me when I used to visit factory .
Food over there is excellent and I can't describe the satisfaction.
But that goes for the meal prepared there.
I am not happy with their spice powders as I do not get THAT TASTE which I associate with MTR quality.

Coming to authentic food from South canara, I would suggest you to visit Gopika near my house.
Some push carts after 9.30 pm near Nartaki Theatre give heavenly Dosais and Idlies.
Janatha Hotel at 8th cross is no more a place of good taste.

And BisiBele Bhath prepared by me is also very famous in our family and friends .

dev
Regular Hubber

"I am not happy with their spice powders as I do not get THAT TASTE which I associate with MTR quality. "

I agree with U...I too found that the spice powders that we get in different parts taste different...I wonder if it is manufactured in a centralised place & then distributed or they've diff manuf centres... One of MTR's masala I'm always satisfied with is the channa masala... Bisibele bhat masala doesn't have the same taste always...Wonder Y!!!...

& thanks a lot for all those suggestions... The first thing I'll do after i return to India is to visit ur place to taste ur bisibele bhat...

Hemant Trivedi
Pro Hubber

Hello Dev,
After a long long time, I had the taste of absolutely authentic Delhi food in Bangalore.
Kanti sweets have opened a big outlet in 5th cross Malleshwaram at Malleshwaram circle.
Their Stuffed parathas especially Aloo Paratha ,Chana Kulcha are heavenly and the tastes is just the same as what you get in Old Delhi .
I am not very happy with their sweets ,
but the food fare eventhough is limited, is just Heavenly.
Try out when you are in Bangalore.

Shoba
1st March 2005, 12:11 PM
Hi all!

When I pulled out this thread on Karnataka Recipes, I had forgotten to give it the appropriate name..Just so we dont lose info, I have now named it accordingly, and reproduced all posts made on my enquiry.

Hopefully the thread started by CI will be revived, in addition to recommending where to eat tasty and authentic Kannadiga food in Karnataka.

Regards,
Shoba

sllurrpsllurrp
28th September 2005, 10:41 PM
Hi ..Any udipi brahmins here :?: i am looking for an authentic udipi recipe ..please do help me ..Thanks .