PDA

View Full Version : Picks Dec 04 - Jan 05

Ramki
27th December 2004, 05:31 AM
Click on the link for the list of songs in this thread:

Song List (http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2536)

Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/bhuva.rm

Song: bhuvaneswari aruLpuri aadhari
Film: Thaiye neeye thunai
Singers : KJY, Chitra
Lyrics: Vaalee
Music : Raveendran

-What a song. I watched the movie just for this song. I need not mention that i was totally disappointed ..it was picturised on Pandian and Srividya(soninlaw -mother inlaw). This film had 'ungaL abimaana nakshathirangaL' which included amman films mandatory artistes KRVijaya, NaLini etc. The only redeeming factor were the songs.

Valee has done an excellent job with lyrics(difficult sandhams)

Mrs charumathi writes:

"Bhuvaneswari aruL puri" is beautifully composed by Raveendran and soulfully rendered by KJY and KSC.

It is based on raaga, Revathi and set to 'Eka ThaaLam'. It has the following aaro and avrokanam and swarasthanam:

S R1 M1 P N1 S
S N1 P M1 R1 S

Revathi can be said janyam of Mela's 2, 8 and 14.

In the song, beat starts before the humming.
Normally KSC makes hardly any pronunciation mistake, however KJY and KSC made pronunciation mistakes in this song. May be it is a deliberate attempt. Example:

Bhuvaneshwary - Buvaneswary (actual)
Shankari - Sankari (actual)
Sharanam/charanam - saranam (actual).

This song can be only sung by well known singer because of the following reasons:

1) Pallavi has brighas in the following line: 'soolini maadhavan sridharan sOdhariyE'

2) Low and High stayi (pitch) used in the song. For example, in saraNam 1,

Low - High
paavamO - vinaiyin
thaapamO - unathu
kOpamO - viLaintha
saapamO - karunai

3) the song is composed in ascending order and this adds the classical beauty to the song. For example:

S - vazhiyum punalil undhan thiruvadi nanaiyatum
M - nanaintha piraku undhan thiruvuLLam kaniyattum
P - kanintha kanivil undhan kadaikaNkaL oLiratum
N - iruNdu kidakkum engaL pozhuthukaL pularatum

The Music director used fantastic rhythm through out the song. For example:

1. tha ki ta thaam - tha ki ta
bha va mo - vinaiyin
2. tha ki ta - tha ki ta - tha ka - tha ka di mi - tha ka ja nu
vazhiyum - puna lil - undhan - thi ru va di na nai yatum

The composition touches high "Pa" at the end of charaNam 1 & 2. Raveendran has used mirudhangam, Tabla and veena really well in the song, specially he used 'urumi' to express the emotional devotional (bhakthi paravasam) feeling.

It is a duet 'devotional' song which is not common in music.

Ramki
28th December 2004, 04:05 AM
Bhuvaneswariyai kaNdukoLLa aaLe illaiya?:((

:)

RR
28th December 2004, 08:01 AM
This song is a nice example for why Revati is apt for devotional songs. The pallavi 'bhuvaneshwai arul puri aadhari', which just sweeps the full scale up & down, brings out the bakthi & urukkam feelings so well.

I'm still listening to the song & lyrics, more comments later.

rajes002
28th December 2004, 08:54 AM
Ramki,

I am/was from West (Pazhiya :) ) Mambalam and Kumar used to be my tailor too. He did a good job with my narrow trousers (my dad from the bell-bottom era never liked his narrow trouser style). I was with him till 1986 or so and if I remember right he was busy in films after then and brached off.....

He became pretty popular after the Kamalahassan movie "Satya"... although I did not know that he ended up directing movies. I remember meeting him in Cuddalore once. Sad to know that he is know more!

BTW - which part of Mambalam were you from? I used to stay close to the Rly Station.

Ramki
28th December 2004, 08:19 PM
rajes002 I live near Ramakrishna kalyana mandapam

Ramki
28th December 2004, 11:01 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/idhu.rm

Song: idhu kaNavugaL viLaindhidum kaalam
Film: Nizhal thedum nenjangaL
Singers : Janaki, Deepan Chakravarthi
Lyrics: ?
Music : iLaiyaraja

-I was hooked to this song when i first listened to it few years ago on oli 96.8. As far as i know vividh bharathi has never aired this beauty.
The range of the song suits Deepans voice very well and this is one of his best.
I remember 2 other songs from 'nizhal thedum nenjangal'-
mangala vaanam (MV,BSS)
pookaL sindhungaL (SJ)

-I may not be rite, but i think Radhika,sivakumar acted in this film.
-I apologise for the sumaar quality of the song. I had this song on a tape and tried my best to remove the noise during conversion.

KingPin
29th December 2004, 11:11 AM
is it not sudhakar, ramki. Deepan voice is very smart in this song. lyrics by muthulingam (hope am correct)

Ramki
29th December 2004, 06:07 PM
kingpin, i'm not sure. One of the websites said Rajeeve,subhadra, vijayshanthi are the actors.
Sudhakar might have acted too.

RR
30th December 2004, 04:01 PM
Sensuous song. SJ is brilliant especially in 'paarungal.. vizhi orangal.. angu naanangal kulikkum' and when she ends 'ithu naan thaanaa' with an almost imperceptible giggle.

RR
30th December 2004, 09:25 PM
Mars-la new DF ban pannittaangalaa enna?

Ramki
30th December 2004, 11:05 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/kili.rm

Song: kiLi irandu kootukuLLe
Film: Manidha Manidha
Singers : Mano, Minmini
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music : ARR

-ARRs interludes are highlights of this song. Im not a big fan of Mano or Minmini but both have done a decent job.
'Manidha Manidha' is telugu dubbing and i think it had Nagma and DrRajshekar.
-Thiru what are other songs from this film(I know you will know:))

Thiru
30th December 2004, 11:11 PM
Ramki, The opening interlude resembles Strawberry kanne right? manidha manidha had nice songs.. my favourite was 'hello hello '

Thiru
30th December 2004, 11:22 PM
'kisu kisu namakkulle kedaiyaadhu' is another decent song in this movie but again the dubbed lyrics spoils the song :(

RC
30th December 2004, 11:28 PM
Ramki: Mano range-ku T-um aagittaraa? :)

Thiru
30th December 2004, 11:44 PM
ramki other songs from the movie :)

Innal oru ponnal - typical malayalam beat song by mano, sujatha
hello hello anbu rani - nice song by mano, chithra (english lyrics sodhappal)
enna mogam kannama by mano, chithra
kisu kisu namakkul - mano, Chithra (nice song if u are able to bear with the lyrics)
nee yetti yetti - mano, swarnalatha (same song as Raakozhi rendum muzhichirukku from uzhavan)..

Ramki
30th December 2004, 11:53 PM
RC:) Thiru 21st century Mano :)

T thanks for the list

Thiru
31st December 2004, 12:09 AM
mano enge naan enge.. :).. 2 paattu therinjavanga ellam paadavadhi king aagida mudiyaadhu :)

RC
1st January 2005, 01:39 AM
T: 5 paata takku takku-nu sollittu ivlo thannadakkathOda 2 paatu-nu sollirukkeengaLe.. :)

Ramki
1st January 2005, 06:19 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/happy.rm

Song: Happy New Year(Thanks to RC for sending this song)
Film: Oh maane maane
Singers : SJanaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: ??
Music : IR

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Thiru
1st January 2005, 06:30 AM
listening this song for the first time... indha madhiri paattellam d/l pannittu ennai mano-voda compare panreengale rc :)

RC
1st January 2005, 07:45 AM
Oh Maane Maane was a faithful remake of the Hindi Movie Julie! Mohan, Uravashi in the lead with Thengai & Sukumari as Urvashi's parents. I cant remember the rest of the cast.

Another song I rememeber is Kamal's pon maanai theduthe for Mohan.

RC
1st January 2005, 07:46 AM
T: dubbing pada paata gnabagam vachikuradhukkum isai gnani paata d/l panni vachikurrudhukkum vidhyaasam illayO? :)

Ramki
1st January 2005, 08:00 AM
RC 'Julie' was remade from 'chattakaari'(Lakshmi, Mohan and Sukumari).

Julie had Laskhmi, Vikram, Sridevi(she played Lakshmi's sister),Nadira(sukumaris role). Julie had few soulful numbers by Rajesh roshan including 'bhool gaya sub kuch' , 'dil kyaa kare', 'My heart is beating', 'yeh raatein nahi puraani'.
Todays pick is tamil version of 'yeh raatein'. A sweet melody in Hindi became a party song in tamil.
Other songs in 'oh maane maane' -
'abhiramiye annaiye' -PS and another female singer
'roja ondru uLLankaiyil poothadhu'-SPB,SJ
'oh devan'- SPB,SJ

Ramki
1st January 2005, 08:17 AM
I think sukumari received national award(best supporting actress) for chattakari

Ramki
3rd January 2005, 02:33 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/chinn.rm

Song: Chinna kaNNe chithira kaNNe keLamma
Film: polladhavan
Singer : PSuseela
Lyrics: Vaali
Music : MSV

-This melody is worth listening just for Susheelas voice(not that other factors are bad). Her voice is amazingly sweet and soft in this song.
'Polladhavan' had Rajinikanth, Lakshmi, sivachandran and Sripriya. It was directed by Muktha V Srinivasan.
It had 4 good songs by MSV.
'naan polladhavan','naane endrum raaja'(SPB Solos)
'adho vaarandi vaarandi' (SPB,VJ) and today's pick.
Polladhavan was a predictable, run off the mill Super* film. I believe it was an average grosser at the B.O.

rajeshkrv
3rd January 2005, 01:04 PM
Very beautiful song !!

thanks for this rare gem

rajeshkrv
3rd January 2005, 01:05 PM
Ramki can you upload this song somewhere as mp3

SN23
3rd January 2005, 02:14 PM
This song and Manni vandha nilave are very beautifully sung by PS. Same MSV is MD for both. Her beautiful aLavana modulation / gamakam are highlights.

ramki: Abiramiye annaiye is sung by PS & Bangalore Latha (whether she has sung any other song?)

Ramki
4th January 2005, 05:08 AM
rajeshkrv can you send an email to pow_request@yahoo.com?

SN23 thanks for the info on 'abiraamiye'. There was a kannadiga singer called Latha.She is no more. It could be her.

Naaz
4th January 2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks for this rare and lovely PS solo. It's a keeper.

RR
4th January 2005, 09:59 AM
Polladhavan was a predictable, run off the mill Super* film.

Predictable yes, but compared to the naan potta savaal's and pokkiri raja's, this was an ok movie. Especially the tiffs between Rajni & Lakshmi in the first part.

This song is for Lakshmi (who comes to work as a babysitter) to Baby anju who is ever naughty and wouldn't budge to anyone. Of course she'll become obedient within a song.

I think this song is desh based.

Ramki
5th January 2005, 06:02 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/aazh.rm

Song: aazhkadalil thathaLithu naan edutha
Film: Raagam thedum Pallavi
Singer : SPB and ?
Lyrics: TRajendar
Music : TR

- A beautiful solo by SPB that has excellent lyrics by TR.
This is one of his good albums.
'Raagam thedu pallavi' had shankar, Anu and Rajeev.
'Moongilile paatisaithu' and todays pick are the best songs of this film which also add 'indha malligai manase'(SJ), 'sugam sugam'(SJ). I think there is one more SJ solo(a sad song).
I have not seen this film so im not aware of the situation but from the lyrics it looks like another case of oru thalai raagam.

Thiru
5th January 2005, 07:32 AM
Great pick Ramki... I remember listening to this song in the radio long back.. never knew the movie name etc.. Thanks...

RC
5th January 2005, 08:22 AM
It wasnt another case of oru thalai raagam. Rayil PayanangaLil was in fact another version of oru thalai raagam, sort of. I have seen this movie looong before.
Shankar plays the role of an aspiring director. Rajeev, I think, plays the role of a rich friend willing to produce a movie that Shankar is directing. Anu plays the love interest of Shankar. Rajeev also lays his eys on Anu and the story revolves around these characters.
In the end Anu falls prey to Rajeev and Shankar goes mad.

RC
5th January 2005, 08:23 AM
Ramki: If I click the link on the first page in Lite View, I get an error. The same thing happened for the previous POTW. FYI.

RR
5th January 2005, 11:51 AM
Ramki: If I click the link on the first page in Lite View, I get an error. The same thing happened for the previous POTW. FYI.

RC, can you send me the error message?

yvsmani
5th January 2005, 03:36 PM
If possible, pls upload, paniyil nanaiyum malargal irandu (priya o priya ) and aththadi etho aasaigal from anbuchinnam

jn
5th January 2005, 10:45 PM
Ramki: This is a rare song for me since I haven't listend to this in ages. It is one of those songs where TR is at his best with lyrics.

Ramki
6th January 2005, 04:45 AM
RC thanks for the details.

yvsmani i might have the aathadi song

RC
6th January 2005, 05:22 AM
RR: I get the Real Player error "Requested file not found. The link you followed may be outdated or inaccurate." followed by "http://tfmpage.com/songs/aazh.rm"

Thiru
6th January 2005, 09:28 AM
I get that error too but only If I click the song directly from the main page..

RR
6th January 2005, 10:58 AM
RR: I get the Real Player error "Requested file not found. The link you followed may be outdated or inaccurate." followed by "http://tfmpage.com/songs/aazh.rm"

Should be ok now.

yvsmani
6th January 2005, 11:55 AM
Ramki :
will be waiting for that song.

Ramki
7th January 2005, 04:48 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/aadi.rm

Song: aadidum odamaai aanadhe
Film: Suvarillaadha sithirangaL
Singer : PSuseela,SPB
Music : Gangai Amaran

-This duet was a Ceylon radio favorite. Though the other duet (kaadhal vaibhogame) is still finding air time, today's pick didnt get much coverage on Indian radios.
'suvar illa chithirangaL' was Bakhyarajs first directorial venture and it was a flop. As I have not seen this film, i dont know much about the story(except that Bakhyaraj acted as a tailor). Sudhakar, Sumathi(ex-baby turned kumari) are the other actors.
-Are there any other song in this film(other than the 2 mentioned)?

RC
7th January 2005, 05:08 AM
Ramki: Following is the one I can think of which goes like

Welcome.. you are welcome.. you all are welcome
maalini..ragini..neelaveni welcome
raadhika..menaka..gundu baama welcome

sung by SPB. It should be a cultural program song, though I dont remember seeing this one on the screen.

There could be one more song too..

Ramki
7th January 2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks RC. Please post if you know the song situation

RC
7th January 2005, 07:24 AM
Sudhakar, a college student and a rich guy, and Sumathi fall in Love. Bhagyaraj, with parents Kallapetti and Gandhimadhi live across the street from Sumathi's also secretly loves her. Goundamani, a tailor, is also in the same street. Sudhakar walks out of his family when his parents disapprove of his love and lives with Sumathy's family (mom and sister or/and brother). Unable to make the ends meet (I think POTW song is a background song during this time) they all commit suicide in the end.

Thiru
7th January 2005, 07:34 AM
I remember seeing bits and pieces of this movie... Sudhakar used to hang around with koundamani just to see the heroine... :)

RC
7th January 2005, 07:54 AM
RR: The link on the Forum Index worked today. Thanks!

madhu
7th January 2005, 11:18 AM
Hi Ramki!

One small request ! Is it really P Suseela ? It sounds more like SP Shailaja to me.. Plz check anc clarify... :)

rajeshkrv
7th January 2005, 12:11 PM
ya it's by S.P.Shailaja only

Ramki
7th January 2005, 04:47 PM
Madhu
Its definitely by Psuseela.

RR
7th January 2005, 06:40 PM
Madhu
Its definitely by Psuseela.

I too am doubtful, ramki. Just listen to the second charanam esp. the part 'arasaalum bhoomi', and confirm. Could there be 2 female singers?

louisvalan
7th January 2005, 06:49 PM
Hi any one looking for the songs of 1981 release Tamil Movie 'Neruppile Pootha Malar' please mail me..
Song by Jeyachandran, Music by KV Mahadevan..Lyrics Kannadasan
4 cute songs.
Engenkum Aval Mugam (Jeyachandras best)
Iravinil Paniyinil
Atthi Maram Poothathille

I have just converted it to mp3 from my LP record.. I can mail you the song or upload it ... response to louisvalan@yahoo.com

BTW, if any has that full movie CD please mail me or upload me the link

[/b]

RC
7th January 2005, 07:10 PM
Ramki: I think it is SPS.

Nitya
7th January 2005, 09:36 PM
Well, I have 'Aadidum Odamaai' on CD, and for me it's a song that has grown on me. BTW, this song's raagam is Chakravagam (one of my favorites).

Babu
7th January 2005, 10:10 PM
I think there are two singers, PS and SPS.

Ramki
8th January 2005, 05:00 AM
Thanks for all the inputs.
Some websites say its by PS,others SPS and few even BSS :)

If you like the song its by your fav singer,else its the other:)

RC
8th January 2005, 07:11 AM
I think I have the CD somewhere around.. Let me check that. You never know..it could say SJ! :)

From Mars
8th January 2005, 09:33 AM
Ramki,

There is no PS in the movie unless the title itself is wrong :thumbsup:
so it should be SPS :)

RR
8th January 2005, 09:39 AM
Varuga varuga 8)

Ramki
8th January 2005, 10:12 PM
FM :)

Ramki
8th January 2005, 10:47 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/chinna_thu.rm

Song: chinna chinna kanavugaLe
Film: thuraimugam
Singer : KSChitra
Music : Aadhithyan

- When i first listened to this song, i never thought Aadithyan would be the MD. This is so not his style. Nevertheless this song is a very good one by him. The song is taken to great heights by KSC. Its one my top 10 favs of her songs. The starting aalapana and the way she sing 'kaNNa' are outstanding.
-'Thuraimugam' had Arun pandian and Shobana in the lead.
Im not aware of any other songs or what the film was about(Knowledgable persons ,please share the details with others).
-Btw you can catch aadithyan teaching how to make sandwiches and salads on jayatv(weekday mornings)

From Mars
9th January 2005, 01:24 AM
Ramki,

The Audio was released in 1994 when kadhalan was released.
other songs:

Raja Rajavin - SPB, KSC
Enda Poranthaa - Rajagopal
Rukumani Ranga pOraa - KSC
Amma Amma - Rajagopal
Notice that Aadhithyan did not sing :)
Only chinna chinna kanavukaLE listenable, rest :banghead:

chinna chinna kanavukaLE is set to 'brindhavana saaranga'.

Ramki
9th January 2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks FM. Other songs in this raaga(from various posts in TFM)

ponnondru kaNdaen
kaadhal vennila
poovaraiyum poonggodaiyae
sandhanathil nalla vaasameduthu
muthukaLo kaNgaL
poongaatre theendaadhe
kallukuLLe vandha eeramenne

Thiru
9th January 2005, 04:26 AM
nice song ramki.. have heard it many times but never realised that it was from thuraimugam.... Adithyan started out well but became a bust... was a K. Rajeshwar favourite.. Did mutrugai also had adithyan music?

Ramki
9th January 2005, 05:16 AM
T mutrugai? Never heard of that film

Other films with aadithyans music i remember are

Lucky man
paarvai(which had 'veLLi kolusu jadhi poduthe')
seevaleperi paandi
kovilpatti veeralakshmi

From Mars
9th January 2005, 05:49 AM
what about asuran?
kizhaku mugam

RC
9th January 2005, 07:11 AM
Wasnt Mutrugai Abavanan's movie starring Bhanupriya? I dont think the MD of that one is Adityan. Azhagoviyam uyiraanadhu sung by SPB from Roja malare is also by Adityan. A very melodious one...

RC
9th January 2005, 07:11 AM
T: Thuraimugam - Arun Pandiyan thaane Hero? :)

RR
9th January 2005, 07:49 AM
Ramki: I was also surprised when I heard on radio that MD is aadhityan. Beautiful song.

FM: ithu agmark kalappadam illaadha 'kapi' illiyo?

RR
9th January 2005, 07:59 AM
what about asuran?
kizhaku mugam

Glad you reminded asuran. It has one of his best (sung&composed): 'chakku chakku othikichu chillinu thaan pathikichu mayile mayile'..

Thiru
9th January 2005, 08:04 AM
rc amam.. :x

other adityan movies...
Amaran (debut), Nallaya seidhi, David Uncle, Lucky Man, Minmini Poochigal, Thottil Kuzhandai, My India, Kootali, Kalar Kanavugal, Paarvai, Kizhakku Mugam, Chinna Pillai, Sivan, Seevalaperi Pandi, Kama.

From Mars
9th January 2005, 11:07 AM
RR,

Not Really. Original 'Kaapi' is from Hindustani, hence it cannot be said as 'kaapi'. However you can say as 'carnatic Kaapi'. According to Musical Pandits, 'kaapi' means that one from hindustani. Have I confused you?
:roll:

RR
9th January 2005, 11:39 AM
RR,

Not Really. Original 'Kaapi' is from Hindustani, hence it cannot be said as 'kaapi'. However you can say as 'carnatic Kaapi'. According to Musical Pandits, 'kaapi' means that one from hindustani. Have I confused you?
:roll:

Thalai suthuthu... I think I need a 'Nescafe kaapi'.

From Mars
9th January 2005, 11:43 AM
RR,

There are touches of Brindhavana saaranga, Brindhavani as well carnatic kaapi :)

I'll send you the detail explanation tomorrow :D

Thiru
9th January 2005, 11:58 AM
I see shades of 'en mel vizhundha mazhai thuliye' in this song which makes me feel its set in kaapi!

RC
10th January 2005, 12:36 AM
I see shades of 'en mel vizhundha mazhai thuliye' in this song which makes me feel its set in kaapi!

en mel vizhundha mazhai thuli-ye "kaapi"-yaa? :o

Thiru
10th January 2005, 01:22 AM
rc amam :roll:

yvsmani
10th January 2005, 10:23 AM
chinna chinna kanavugalae kanna is a great number, gone went unnoyiced.

1) I think 'athae manithan' is also by adithiyan which contained a good song ' thazhamboo olai kondu thamizh padikka vanthathenna...'.

2) Uthavum karangal - MD yaar ?? Is it not by adiththiyan

can somebody confirm??

rajeshkrv
10th January 2005, 10:26 AM
yes mani
udhavum karangal is by Aadityan only

jaiganes
10th January 2005, 11:52 AM
Was it aadhithyan who was the MD for Naalaya seidhi (prabhu , kushbu) and Musthafa (Napolean, Ranjitha which got remade as Ghulam - E - musthafa in hindi starring nana patekar) ???

RR
10th January 2005, 01:34 PM
I think 'athae manithan' is also by adithiyan which contained a good song ' thazhamboo olai kondu thamizh padikka vanthathenna...'.

yvsmani, yes it's another surprise package from Adhityan. Probably we'll feature it in P.O.W later sometime. I should have the song.

yvsmani
10th January 2005, 05:06 PM
vaa pulli maanae vanna meenae thendral vanthu ennaithottu unnaithottu seitha kolamenna from minmini poochigal used to occupy prime slot in ceylon radio those days.

Elelo Elelo un manasu from kovilpatti veeralakshmi ( KSC???) was also a melodious number

Ramki
11th January 2005, 04:56 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/vaazh_pn.rm

Song: vaazhugindra makkalukku
Film: ponnagaram
Singer : KJYesudoss
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Music : MSViswanathan

PoNnagaram was an interesting film. It was about a brother and sister(sarath Babu and Lavanya) returning to their native village that was once terrorized by their father. The whole village hates them and does everything
to drive the siblings away. I do not remember the exact details but towards the climax the villagers chase Lavanya to shave the hair of her head.
Sarath and Lavanya were very good in their roles. Shobha played Sarath's love interest.
This film also had the sweet duet 'muthu mugamo moga kuzhalo'(JC, VJ)
-Today's pick is noteworthy for its nice lyrics by
Pulamaipithan and ofcourse KJY's voice.

RC
11th January 2005, 07:20 AM
I vaguely remember seeing this movie. I remember the song muthu radhamo mullai charamo (I guess this is the song you meant, Ramki) where Sarathbabu and Shoba are seen swinging.

Ramki
11th January 2005, 07:51 AM
RC
isnt that
muthu radhamo moga kuzhalo
munne vandha mullai charamo
kaNNe nee isaipaadu
kanindha manadhil
ezhundha ninaivil
kaadhal uravaadu

?

Ramki
11th January 2005, 07:56 AM
RC you are correct

JC starts
muthu radhamo mullai charamo
moondru kaNiyo piLLai thamizho
kaNNe nee viLaiyaadu
kanindha manadhil
ezhundha ninaivil
kaadhal uravaadu

and then VJ continues

muthu mugamo moga kuzhalo
munne vandha moondru thamizho

RC
11th January 2005, 07:56 AM
As I remember, it is

muthu radhamo mullai charamo
munne vandha moondru tamizho
kanne nee vilayaadu
kanindha manadhil
ezhundha ninaivil
kaadhal uravaadu

RC
11th January 2005, 07:57 AM
Ramki: vara vara ungaLukku maradhi jaasthi aagi pochu pola irukke.. :)

From Mars
11th January 2005, 08:56 AM
Ramki,

I thought ponnaagaram is by SG :wink:

Ramki ku ennamO aachu :)

Naaz
11th January 2005, 09:47 PM
There's a bit of a mix up, or so it seems, with the opening lines of Muthu Rathamo Mullai Charamo

Hope this sets it right:

PJC Opens:

Muthu Rathamo Mullai Charamo
Moondru Kaniyo Pillai Thamizho
Kanne Nee Vilaiyadu
Kanindha Manadhil
Ezhundha Ninaivil
Kaadhal Uravaadu

VJ Folllows:

Muthu Mugamo Moga Sugamo
Munne Vandha Moondru Thamizho
Kanna Nee Kavi Paadu
Kanindha Manadhil
Ezhundha Ninaivil
Kaadhal Uravaadu

....and so on.

Ponnagaram was scored by SG.

Ramki-
I have chosen a song and have written a page worth of "commentary." Would this be a good time to send it? Please let me know.

Thiru
12th January 2005, 01:43 AM
FM, signature ellam bayangarama irukku :)

From Mars
12th January 2005, 01:58 AM
T :)

Ramki
12th January 2005, 04:41 AM
RC,FM :)

RC, Naaz thanks for the correction.

Naaz send them to pow_request@yahoo.com

RC
12th January 2005, 04:52 AM
RC,FM :)

RC, Naaz thanks for the correction.

Naaz send them to pow_request@yahoo.com

Ramki,
indha punnagaikku ( :) ) enna artham-nu puriyalaye.. :)

Ramki
12th January 2005, 05:05 AM
RC ennaale sirikkathaan mudiyum arthamellaam solla theriyadhu:)

Naaz
12th January 2005, 08:46 AM
Ramki -

I sent you a message. Could you please confirm when you receive it? Thanks.

Ramki
13th January 2005, 05:11 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kotha_ke.rm

Song: kothamalli poove
Film: kallukuL eeram
Singer : SJanaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran
Music : Ilaiyaraja

-A beautiful village song to get you into pongal spirits.The song always make me imaginge green,lushy villages, uncorrupted villagers working on rice fields singing 'esapaatu' , young kids swinging on tree branches,
ladies carrying lunches for their hard working husbands.
Never been to a village but always dreamt of one, thanks to these songs filled with nativity.
This song is just another example of SJanaki's Versatility. Though she is not a tamilian, i always felt that her voice has the 'mannvaasanai'
-'kallukuL eeram' had few new faces(Aruna,vijayashanthi, janakaraj, chandrasekar (not very sure if this his is first film))with sudhakar,venniradai Nirmala and Bharathiraja. I dont think i need to mention the other songs as all of them are very popular.

jn
13th January 2005, 05:43 AM
ramki: though BR may have appeared in the screen for a minute or 2 in other movies, I think this is his first movie in which he acted as a director. I may be wrong:)

Ramki
13th January 2005, 05:46 AM
JN you are correct. I think he appears for a minute or so in almost all of his films i have seen(as far as i know).

rajraj
13th January 2005, 06:06 AM
Ramki: Try 'yeru pootti povaaye' by Jikki for 'village feeling'. :)

Ramki
13th January 2005, 06:48 AM
Raj i have never listened to that song. Send me if you have it with you

RC
13th January 2005, 07:00 AM
Nivas, the director of KallukkuL eeram is back in the news. He is making a movie, maanidan with Meena in the lead. Follow the link for more information.

http://www.webulagam.com/cinema/vip/0501/05/1050105013_1.htm

Naaz
13th January 2005, 08:25 AM
SJ gives such songs all she has (all her limitations factored) and somehow, on most occasions, it works. Today's song is also a good example of her ability to assume "other" voices - aidhedhedhehe (or something like that, in the beginning of this one) Nathaaga Oni Vachchen (?) - the brief verse before a lovely flute rise and dip - show SJ doing what's become her signature - reveling in her vocal inventiveness. She offers a fine exposition in the charanams as well.
The chorus and varied voices/tones also hark back to a song from another age - composed by SC - "Bichchua" from Madhumati.

Even GA manages an a good outing as a lyricist is songs such as these. I haven't seen a kollththamallipoovu in this lifetime, but the brothers (with SJ) sure turn up a heady fragrance!

Naaz
13th January 2005, 08:29 AM
koll - koththamalli
GA manages a good outing - drop "an"

SN23
13th January 2005, 10:54 AM
Ramki, Kothamalli poove is by IR and SJ. I guess it was not by MV.

RR
13th January 2005, 12:58 PM
Naaz: You can edit postings yourself. If you are in lite view, jump to 'Full View' to edit.

Nitya
13th January 2005, 08:57 PM
I'm well aware of 'Kothamalli Poove,' and it is just as great a song as 'Siru Ponmani' and 'Ennathil Etho' from the same film ['Thoppiloru Naadhagam' I would call good, not great! :-)] Especially hear the interludes; that's something we cannot get from the present crop of composers!

RR
13th January 2005, 09:31 PM
nitya: It's chalanattai, right?

Ramki
14th January 2005, 05:26 AM
SN23 the voice is clearly MV's.

Ramki
14th January 2005, 05:36 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kaatr_km.rm

Song: kaatrodu kuzhalin naadhame
Film: kodai mazhai
Singer : Chitra
Music : Ilaiyaraja

Mrs charumathi writes:

"Kaatroodu kuzhalin naadham" song is set in "Simmhendra
madhyama" raagam and aadhi thaaLam. "Simmhendra Madhyama"
raagam is57th "MeLam". It has the following "Aarohanam"
and "avarohanam":

Aarohanam: Sa Ri2 Ga1 Ma2 Pa Da1 Ni2 Sa
Varohanam: Sa Ni2 D1 Pa Ma2 Ga1 Ri2 Sa

The song has an excellent start with small "Alaapana"
alongwith the mridhangam piece. The small "Thani" alongwith
the "Korvais" between the pallavi and the first charanam makes
it more pleasant to listen.

The tune of the first and second charanams is set in 2
different ways. The tune of FIRST HALF of Second "charanam" is
different. The tune of SECOND HALF of second "charanam"
is similar to the tune of the first "charanam".

The FIRST HALF of the second charanam is based on the
following aspects of Carnatic music:

1. Madhdhima Kaalam (2nd speed)
2. Song has "Jadhis" and also the instruments are played
separately.
3. Setting of "Korvai".

Normally in a song, if the swaram is sung with "Korvai
amaippu", the song will end with either pallavi or the last
line sung. But this song continues with "Sahithiyam"
similar to the first charanam, which makes it quite unique.

The mridhangam with beautiful "Korvai" set in a carnatic
style adorns this song.

The lyrics of the song expresses the eager awaiting of
Radha for Lord kannan's arrival which makes it equivalent to
divine Love. In the musical forms, this reminds the "Padham".
It is noteworthy that the song can be considered as a
semi-classical song.

- 'Kodai mazhai' had vidya, Lakshmi, arundhadhi.
This was the first film by Mukta v sundar.
I watched this film in 1986. Very average movie. Other than todays pick, this film had thuppaki kaiyil eduthu(IR sang for Vidya) and one SJ solo(for Lakshmi). I have been looking high and low for this SJ solo(then thoongum poove) , if any one has this song please send it to me.

Thiru
14th January 2005, 05:49 AM
nice song ramki..
kodai mazhai 'vidhya' acted in a lot of sister roles and TV serials but she never got a lead role after this I guess.. isn their another kodai mazhai fame actor??
IR scored quite a few simmhendra madhyamam songs like aanandha raagam and ennai enna seidhaai (sudha ragunathan) song..

Ramki
14th January 2005, 06:16 AM
T i dont remember any popular actor from that film. I think sripriya acted as vidyas dance guru and jaishankar played her husbands role. vidya did not have a jodi in 'kodai mazhai'

Thiru
14th January 2005, 08:24 AM
did rajini make a special apperance in this movie?

From Mars
14th January 2005, 10:09 AM
Ramki,

you watched this movie in 1986, still remember :) mmmm who will remember these paadavathis. I only remember the thupaaki kaiyil eduthu sony only :)

'Vidhya' was called after this movie as 'kOdai mazhai' Vidya, similar to 'nizhalkaL' Ravi.

From Mars
14th January 2005, 10:11 AM
T when did you become expert in raagas :)

Thiru
14th January 2005, 10:14 AM
'Vidhya' was called after this movie as 'kOdai mazhai' Vidya, similar to 'nizhalkaL' Ravi.

FM, enna oru kandupidippu :)

Thiru
14th January 2005, 10:15 AM
T whend did you become expert in raagas :)

ungalai paathu thaan..:)..

Ramki
15th January 2005, 05:23 AM
FM yaar yaarai padavadhinnu solradhu?:)

RR
15th January 2005, 12:54 PM
An excellent simmendra madhyamam (light but pure, of the 'patham' variety), and a wonderful job by Chitra (except for some of the usual ra/Ra pronunciation mishaps). Most of the charanam/pallavi has no pauses, and the rendition is 'breathtaking'.

Some other simmendra madhyamam's: nee pournami, tajmahal thevayillai, and the classic 'ellaam inbamayam'.

Ramki
15th January 2005, 09:23 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/uchi_kmk.rm

Song: uchi malaiyil oorirukka
Film: kazhugu malai kaLLan
Singer : Vani Jairam, Mano
Music : Chandrabose

-Another song sponsored by Thiru
-'kazhughu malai kaLLan' had charanraj, Rekha,Anand, JLalitha and i believe it was directed by Rajsekhar.
I have no knowledge of other details .

RR
15th January 2005, 10:16 PM
Good pick, Thiru & ramki. The song has a nice rustic feel - vayal varappula ninnu padara maathiri, but strangely the interludes sound alien.

From Mars
15th January 2005, 10:27 PM
Good pick :)

There is one good song by spb, which I can't recollect it now.

Thiru
15th January 2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks for honoring the request Ramki :)
I remember two other songs.
'oor pesum ulagam pesum' (which I guess is the title song)
I dont remember the starting lines of the SPB song but the second line goes like 'naanaiyathil rendu pakkam inba thunbam vaazhkaiyile'.. The first line is still eluding me :(
RC any idea??

From Mars
16th January 2005, 01:45 AM
mmm Thiru has started to replace Ramki's place in TFM :) I meant about paadavathis :)

Ramki
17th January 2005, 05:01 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/aath_ac.rm

Song: aathadi aedho aasaigaL
Film: anbu chinnam
Singers: Chitra,Mano

-'anbuchinnam', dubbed version of 'Prema'(Venkatesh, Revathi, Vanisree) didnt see the popularity as it did with its original('Prema' bagged few state awards). This is one of the few non-action movies by Director Suresh Krishna.
This film was also made in Hindi as 'Love'(salmankhan, Revathi) and anand Milind dutifully claimed IR's tunes as his.(even though its a copy i like the 'saathiya thune kya kiya' song by SPB,KSC).
- As far as todays pick , its a beautiful song(well, if you could pardon the mundane 'fill in the blank' lyrics) sung very well by chitra. I always wonder why IR chose Mano to sing the tamil version's of SPB's telugu originals.
I remember two more songs 'Iam sorry' and 'priyathama naa hrudhayama'(what is the tamil equivalent?). I love 'priyathamaa'(its available in MOnline).
-Story line anyone?

RR
17th January 2005, 06:43 PM
I was pleasantly surprised when I heard chitra's voice on 'Cibaca geetmala' during the early 90's. Yes it was 'saathiyaa thune kya kiya'. I hunted for this song the whole week. No northie friends knew chitra's songs, and southie friends asked 'chitra? in hindi?'. Finally found the details only in next week geetmala :) Later it came on air frequently.
Chitra's 'lalalala' is too good in this song. Though the hindi version is a shade better, the tamil version is also good.
Ramki: is there a better quality version?

Thiru
17th January 2005, 07:48 PM
Pretty good song.. I didnt know that there was a tamil version for this but I could easily guess that 'saathiya thune' was a lift from south...

From Mars
17th January 2005, 09:33 PM
I only saw the song. It's worth listening than watching it.
Listening to this dubbing song, I remembered one more dubbing movie, 'naarkaali kanavukaL'.
There is one good SPB song. Ramki if you do remember and have the song, can you add to the POW collections :) Unfortunately I can't recollect the song name, I'm loosing my memory :(

Thiru
17th January 2005, 09:35 PM
I only saw the song. It's worth listening than watching it.
Listening to this dubbing song, I remembered one more dubbing movie, 'naarkaali kanavukaL'.
There is one good SPB song. Ramki if you do remember and have the song, can you add to the POW collections :) Unfortunately I can't recollect the song name, I'm loosing my memory :(

FM, is the song 'thalaivar seetu naarkalikku vote venum thakkalikku' from naarkali kanavugal??? :)

From Mars
17th January 2005, 09:39 PM
T :roll:

some nice song :) You know the answer right? :)

RR
17th January 2005, 09:50 PM
Does 'Thakkaali seenivasan' sing it? :shock:

From Mars
17th January 2005, 10:01 PM
RR :)
ThakaaLi introduced 'premi, seeni' (Music directors) in "naaLaiya sEidhi". May be Ramki can put that song as well. I remember only a song, 'hey solai pookaLE' by Mano and KSC :)

balaji
17th January 2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks Ramki for this wonderful number.

Ramki, I saw Love in Bangalore. Revathi and Salman start loving after some initial hiccups. Revathi the free bird has an incurable disease. Salman in the last scene will revive her by some strange CPR means. (If I remember corretctly). Padavathi except for Revathi's acting (was my favorite then in my college days) and Saathiya song. If this is how the Venkatesh Starrer was in Telugu, not sure how could this deserve any award at all. The Telugu friends used to curse AM for his lifting and that is when I realized the strong fans for IR in TeFm lovers.

Ramki, there was another song of AM for the film 'Mera Pathi Sirf mera hai -- Maine Dhuje Kath likha -- By SPB and LM' which starred Rekha, Jitender and not sure who. I think this was a remake of 'En Ourushan Thaan enakku Mattum than'. Though hindi songs seems to be a not a lift from this tamil movie, any idea if we have the original version in Tamil/Telugu of that Hindi song?

Bala

Ramki
17th January 2005, 11:45 PM
Ramki: is there a better quality version?

RR better version of 'aathadi'?If yes, then no :(

FM 'naarkaali kaNavugaL' hehehehe no :))

Bala 'mera pati smh' was a remake of 'eptemt' but i dont remember the songs. I think Radhika played suhasini's role and Rekha did Rekhas role.

madhu
18th January 2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Ramki!

Rekha did Radha's role !

Ramki
18th January 2005, 12:30 AM
Madhu i dont think radha acted in en purushan thaan enakku mattumthaan

Ramki
18th January 2005, 12:31 AM
Maybe yuo are talking about 'gopurangaL saivadhillai' . Radhika again played suhasinis role in its hindi version

RR
18th January 2005, 05:31 AM
Ramki, yes 'aathadi'.. Only 16kbps? hmm..

RR
18th January 2005, 05:52 AM
Another dub song query: Is there a tamil version of 'pallavi anu pallavi' songs? I'm interested in two songs mentioned here:
http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=51130#51130

I vaguely remember one 'paniyil nanayum..' which is equivalent of 'naguva'..

kiru
18th January 2005, 07:02 AM
Ramki,
Congrats on this interesting thread ?
Do you know if this tune was used in some other song by IR ?
It seems too familiar.

From Mars
18th January 2005, 08:59 AM
I know paniyil nanaiyum :)

Thiru
18th January 2005, 09:02 AM
FM, ungalukku theriyadha oru paadavadhi irukkave mudiyaadhey :)

From Mars
18th January 2005, 09:05 AM
T, unga levelukku ellam ennala vara mudiyaathu. but paniyil nanaiyum malarkal was an average song :) sung by KSC and Mano :)

Did you figure out what was the other song in 'kazhku malai kaLLan', I used to hum that song, but I can't recollect that song :(

RC
18th January 2005, 08:51 PM
paadavadhi thilagangaLukke theriyaadha paadavadhiyaa? aachariyamaa irukke :)

Ramki
19th January 2005, 05:00 AM
Kiru no idea :(

Ramki
19th January 2005, 05:05 AM
[tscii:ba3d4275ca]Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kari_aa.rm

Song: karisal tharisu
Film: achamillai achamillai
Singers: Vani Jairam
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music : VSNarasimman

-Sponsor of the song- Naaz

Naaz writes:

FEARLESS LUST

Achchamillai, Achchamillai, much like it’s predecessor, Thanneer, Thanneer, tried too hard. But such is the territory of repetition – two is more, but not necessarily better – and so whatever will be, will be.

Two times the misery?

But they were not thinking along that rhyme scheme.

TT& AA or AA & TT (in vein, you know): One left you dehydrated with rhetoric, and the other launched fearless (expletives omitted) walkouts halfway through.

I’ll let you get the goods on Two Times the Water, but here’s a quick zap on the Fearless one.

The memory dropouts in the following are all my own. Feel free to fill in:
Thaenmozhi (Saritha) is a mill-worker (?) and Loganathan (Rajesh) is a Teacher (??) and every day their paths cross in some truly scenic place that might be Bodi or Thaeni. She loves him for his ideals and sense of cultural pride, and he loves her because she is – actually, he never says.

They are married and have a child, and then things take a turn (sequence?) Loganathan is persuaded to run in the local elections and when he does, he wins. Ah, the sweet taste of power. Loganathan takes to politicking like soup to a tureen, and slowly, Mr. goody-two-shoes falls by the wayside. Thaenmozhi sees the man of her dreams turn into the man of her nightmares – right in front of her open eyes. It’s the beginning of the Anti-Shankarabharanam, KB style.

With Power come the trappings, and here, for a change, the pun works with irony. Loganathan, caught in a vortex of corruption, does not flail. Instead, he flaunts. Alangaram (Pavithra) moves in as his trophy concubine. Thaenmozhi is subjected to some very KB’ish cinematic humiliations. Right around this time you expect a superimposed DD announcer to pop-up on the screen, and say: “Karpil Sirandhaval Kannagiya? Madhaviya? – Idhuve Indraiya Patti Mandraththalaippu…” It’s that ho-hum.

When Thaenmozhi finds out that Loganathan is about to commit something really, really bad (this is a clue – note repetition) she is stirred to stretch her hands and grab the title (answer) Oru Kaikku, Oru Achchamillai.

With garland in hand, Thaenmozhi ascends the stage at Loganathan’s nth victory celebration. The roses hide a sharp, steel blade.

Thaenmozhi – bless her – makes more than two deep gashes in his torso. Twice is not enough, anymore.

And that’s how she moves beyond fear – and even numbers.

The point of it all? Don’t ask.

The best thing about AA was the debut of VS Narasimhan. An accomplished solo-violinist (western classical,) his music buoyed an otherwise desperate and didactic exercise in filmmaking. Aavaramppoovu Aarezhunaalaa, a standout duet in the dulcet voices of PS and SPB, was perhaps the one good motivator for the film’s initial draw. It could well be the prefix to Narasimhan’s name: The identification (song/composer/film/debut) is that complete. VSN also had inspired moments in the compositions for Pudhiyavan and Aayiram Pookkal Malarattum. Why such a creative and gifted musician was unwelcome in TFM beyond a few initial forays should be all but obvious: he was creative AND gifted.

Karisal Tharisu, picturised on Alangaram, and sung by VJ, is a delicious blend of Western guitar and Hindustani tabla – the strum and throb - both perfectly in sync with the seductive impulse of the lyrics. An apprehensive yet eager tease, Alangaram sings this song on the night of her entry into Loganathan’s house as his “new” wife.

The varied baits of a mistress - naïve, impetuous, beautiful and manipulative - are expertly realised by VJ. Here, lust never leaks into lewd.

The brief shiver of a taan after “Podhum Saami Podhum” hits all the erogenous spots with precision. A pause at the sexy “Mudhugai” (how nice it sounds!) leads to the steamy ellipsis of “Sududhey… Moochchu” with rapture. The song is erotic, not easy.

You can come up with a quick roster of the louder amorous moments in TFM on your own?

Here’s the song that got AIRs “moral” knickers in a knot. Ooh, the Mistress of Sex and Spice! Finally, that deferred harvest of Eros is here!

Listen to it once. Listen to it thrice.

Two’s pooh. Ask KB.[/tscii:ba3d4275ca]

vel1970
19th January 2005, 09:43 AM
just imagine SJ instead of VJ. SJ wuld hv dhool kilappyfied :P

RR
19th January 2005, 06:55 PM
I used to think 'ithu sugam sugam' was a surprise from VJ. Man, this one is a shocker! Better-done-by-SJ-or-others arguments aside, I liked VJ's tries at something unusual. It was creative to use a briga (in 'poooothum') for streaks of pleasure. So nicely done that, this 'pooothum' makes you yearn for 'innum venum' .. :) nice job vsn.
Excellent writeup, Naaz! keep them coming!

RR
19th January 2005, 07:19 PM
You can come up with a quick roster of the louder amorous moments in TFM on your own?
is that a challenge? There are quite a few SJ. ones.. Let me think of some non-SJ... Sensuous, not necessarily louder.
paduthaal purandaal (spb - vandikkaaran magan)
paliginaal oru maaligai (LRE)
iniyavale (tms,ps) - esp in 'tms:idhazhaal udal alanthaan.. ps:ivalo thannai maranthaal
pesakoodaathu (spb,ps)

more later..

Ramki: pls feel free to apply scissors 8)

Naaz
19th January 2005, 08:23 PM
Ramki -

Many thanks for featuring the song and the write-up (send-up? :-))
It was fun to think-up!!

RR -

Here's an interesting metaphor: Sex is the Destination to which Seduction is the Road. A song like Karisal Tharisu could have been perverted in many ways - moans, cries and heavy breathing - all amplified and leaving nothing - NOTHING - to the imagination. VJ is an appropriopriate choice, for two reasons: She mines the classical/semi-folk elements of the song with absolute acumen - even the "vaa" endings and "podhums" are done with artistic refinement. Secondly, when essaying such a song, if left to her interpretation, VJ is a singer who errs on this side of baseness and gimmickry. I can think of a few other songs in which (thankfully!) she did not "dhool killappify" -

Tharavaa Naan Tharavaa
Maalai Mudhal Kaalai
Andha Neram Poruththirundhaal
Kaatre Sellu Oru Kaadhal Thoodhu (someone - please! - send me the file if you have it!)
Thodalaam Thottaalum Yogamdhaan
Manjal Arraikkum Bodhu
Naalu Pakkam Vaedar Undu

...and so on.

VSN also stresses subtlety throughout (except for the character lines within) and the song has an interesting division in tempo: it begins with anticipation (Alangaram's,) and in the second charanam the pace accelerates as Alangaram gains confindence (this is the stanza where she addresses Thaenmozhi as Kannagi) This shift is perceptive and creative, and perhaps only available to a discerning ear?

Thank you for the opportunity. The song file credit belongs to Neel D and www.vanijairam.com

Ramki
20th January 2005, 05:57 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/mang_omk.rm

Song: mangiyadhor nilavinile
Film: oru manidhanin kadhai
Singers: SPB,SPS(?)
Lyrics: Bharathiyar
Music : MSV or SG?

This is an absolute beauty by SPB. The voice is so soothing to your ears,so soft like melting snow on a warm winter day.
'OMK' - AVM produced the teleserial based on Sivashankaris thodarkadhai in vikadan. Raghuvaran,Madhuri played the lead and i think this teleserial was directed by SPM.
There are 2 more versions of 'mangiyadhor' one by TMS in 'thirumanam' and other by CSJ (shyamalai?).
My guess on MD -MSV. But FM says its by SG

Btw FM your request is next on the list :)

From Mars
20th January 2005, 06:03 AM
Ramki,
I thought Sumithra played the main role. It came as a one big serial [one VHS Tape] and I thought that it was a movie.

I don't know whether video shops carries this cassette or not :)

Ramki
20th January 2005, 06:08 AM
FM did it come as a movie? It came in Doordarshan 2 at 7.30 slot. Sumithra might have acted but Madhuri too played an important character.

Thiru
20th January 2005, 06:27 AM
ramki isnt it 'Idhu oru Manidhanin kadhai'?? I remember the title song being idhu oru manidhanin kadhai, ivanukku ethanai mugangal?

From Mars
20th January 2005, 06:30 AM
yes I watched as a movie, since all the teleserial comes as 1/2 hour progamme here.

rajdes
20th January 2005, 01:32 PM
OMK was Chandrabose, wasnt it?

RC
21st January 2005, 01:15 AM
OMK is by Chandrabose. That was the time Chandrabose was AVM's aasthaana MD. Madhuri played the wife of Raghuvaran, if I remember it correctly.

T: I think it is OMK, though the song was IOMK!

Ramki: I think this was out as a movie too but not sure if it was the same serial that was rolled out as one.

RR
21st January 2005, 09:49 PM
RC, I think you are right about chandrabose. Makes sense as he has continued MD-ing for several AVM serials now - aachi intl, nimmadhi ungal choice,galatta kudumbam,etc.. But sadly not in quality.. 'mangiyadhor' is incredible. I cannot recall any of his compositions of similar quality.

Ramki
22nd January 2005, 03:25 AM
RC thanks for the details

Ramki
22nd January 2005, 03:33 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kann_en.rm

Song: kaNNeeraale vidhiyin
Film: enakor needhi
Singers:KJY
Music : VKumar

Song requested and sponsored by FM :)
-No idea about this film. I vaguely remember Raghuvaran acting is some 'needhi' film but not sure if it is enakor.

From Mars
22nd January 2005, 03:47 AM
Ramki :) I checked the database, it's enakor needhi :)

Ramki
22nd January 2005, 05:48 AM
FM..naan enakor needhithaane pottirken?

From Mars
22nd January 2005, 06:01 AM
some 'needhi' film but not sure if it is enakor.

ithuku thaan sonnEn :)

Ramki
22nd January 2005, 06:15 AM
Fm i was talking about Raghuvarans film :)

RR
22nd January 2005, 09:45 AM
Song requested and sponsored by FM
ithellaam engalukku sollanumaa.. KJY, pathos & a never-before-heard song - don't we know how to fit the puzzle? :wink:

anyway, good one FM & Ramki. The starting flute (also comes later in the song) is beautiful! also the lyrics.

From Mars
22nd January 2005, 10:20 AM
It could be the last song for VK. I've heard this song in 87, possibly same time as 'raasathi kalyaaNam' got released.

Ramki
22nd January 2005, 06:44 PM
chutti i remember reading 'meendum mahaan' is VK's last film..did EN come after that?

From Mars
22nd January 2005, 09:11 PM
Not sure Ramki. May be you're right. That was my guess.

jn
22nd January 2005, 10:33 PM
Song requested and sponsored by FM
ithellaam engalukku sollanumaa.. KJY, pathos & a never-before-heard song - don't we know how to fit the puzzle? :wink:

anyway, good one FM & Ramki. The starting flute (also comes later in the song) is beautiful! also the lyrics.

I agree with you RR. enakkor needhi, raasathi kalyaanam, meendum mahaan..adhile indha maadhiri songs ..padam eduthavarukkum MDkume marandhu poyirukkum..only Marsians and people lke ramki remember these:)

anyway, indha song kaettu ore sogam:)

From Mars
22nd January 2005, 10:56 PM
appadiyaa jn :)

Mars ila indha songs ellam popular. raasathi kalyaaNam had excellent song by KSC. Meendum mahaan athu RamkikE veLicham.
appuram pombaLa manasu, keeranoor kiLi ithu ellam vitueengaLE :)

RC
23rd January 2005, 04:46 AM
Meendum Mahaan-la nadichadhu Pandiyaraajan, Rahmaan, Rekha thaane? I think this movie was initially named Meendum Mahatma and later changed to Meendum Mahaan (verenna edhirppu thaan!)

FM: ungaLukkunu enga irundhu thaan ippadi patta (arumayaana)paadalgal kidaikkudho? appadiye edhaavadhu dubbing pada paata eduthu vidunga.. :)

jn
23rd January 2005, 06:11 AM
FM: pombala manasu etc..ellaam therinjaa thaane solradhukku?:) ippo thaane keLvi padren:)
people like marsians, ramki...indha list le aarsi paer epdi marandhen?:)

RC
23rd January 2005, 10:40 AM
JN: pombala manasu pathi ungaLukku theriyaadhaa?aachariyamaa irukke.. Periyavanga list-la thayavu senju eLiyavanaana ennaya sekkadheenga..

From Mars
23rd January 2005, 12:04 PM
RC, enna irunthaalum periyavanga periyavanga thaan :)

Thiru
23rd January 2005, 01:35 PM
arumaiyaana paadal! aazhndha karuthu... Theerndhadhu sandhegam... :D

RC
23rd January 2005, 08:59 PM
T: Trip nalla padiya irundhuchaa? Parents, OOtamma, Payyan ellarum sowkiyama?

Ramki
23rd January 2005, 11:39 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/nata_sos.rm

Song: natarajan kudi konda
Film: salangaiyil oru sangeetham
Singers:SPB
Lyrics: vairamuthu

-Another brilliant solo by SPB. I first listened to this song in a intercollege function at PSG and was very curious to know what film the song was from. Then one fine friday 'oliyum oLiyum' played the song(The one true joy of our fridays :).
'SOS' is a tamil dubbing of telugu 'aalapana' with Mohan, Banupriya, Roopa(OTR fame). This song was picturised on the soo beautiful Banupriya . I think Banupriya played a girl who can't speak but has a penchant for the classical dance. Roopa played the nattuvangam singer and Mohan a railway construction worker. Highlight of the movie were the songs by IR. The songs i know are
'yaarodu yaaro'(SPB)
'yaar azhaithadhu kanavu raaniya'(SPB,SJ)
'kanavaa idhu unmaiyaa'(SPB,SJ)
(There is one more SJ solo in aalapana 'priyatama tama sangeetham'- i'm not aware its tamil equivalent)

I haven't watched the film but from the songs played in oliyum oLiyum i think its wort a watch for Banupriya and her dancing skills and ofcourse the songs.

From Mars
24th January 2005, 02:28 AM
Ramki, I believe Banupriya can speak. She was a dancer in the movie. She was forced to marry the villain, so she escapes with her friend. Mohan is a railway worker, as well a good singer.
This song takes place in a jungle in front of huge 'Natarajar' statue. Banupriya dances for this song.

SJ solo:
manathilE orE kondaatam

one more song: vEdhanai aalaapanai (Rajkumar Bharathi, SJ)
but the movie :(

RC
24th January 2005, 03:44 AM
FM: Adhu thaane paathen.. Dubbing padam aache.. thagaval ellam unga viral nuni-la irukkum-nu ninachadhu sariyaa pOchu..

From Mars
24th January 2005, 04:04 AM
RC :) ithu dubbing paataa irunthaalum IR music, romba popular :)

Ramki
25th January 2005, 07:07 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/kai_vv.rm

Song: kai niraiya sozhi
Film: veLLi vizha
Singers: PSuseela, LREswari
Lyrics: vaali
Music : VKumar

This is a lovely duet well sung by LRE and PS with excellent lyrics from Vaali.
'veLLi vizha' had Gemini,Jayanthi,vanisree,srividya,SVaralakshmi etc and IMO first half of 'veLLi vizha' is sindhubhairavi part I.
In 'veLLi vizha' Gemini a popular tennis player married to naive and illiterate Jayanthi.(singer JKB married to naive Sulakshana) Vanisree an ardent fan of Gemini strikes a friendship with him(like suhasini does in SB). But in VV their friendship remains uncorrupted(unlike SB). Post interval jayanthi dies and what happens to GG and Vsree forms the rest of the story.
Todays pick comes when jayanthi starts doubting the friendship between GG and Vsree. PS sings for Jayanthi and LRE for Vsree. But in the same film Vkumar made LRE sing for jayanthi(the melodious 'kaadhoduthaan') and PS for Vsree(irritating 'naan satham pottuthan')
Other songs:
'oru naaL varuvaaL mummy mummy'(TMS,PS)
and my favorite
'unakene kuraichal'(MSV)
All the songs had very good lyrics by vaali.

RC
25th January 2005, 07:49 AM
LRE's rendition of this song is irritating, IMO.

rajeshkrv
25th January 2005, 09:13 AM
An Excellent song.. this song is a testimony for these 2 singers and they have done full justice while in screen expressions of Jayanthi & Vanisree are superb.

I'll cover this film details and particular song in Gems of Vaali series

Ramki
25th January 2005, 10:31 PM
RC IMO this is one of LRE's well sung song.

jn
26th January 2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks for this song, ramki.
This is the first time I am listening to the whole song. The lyrics tell the story and it reminds me of songs like punnagai mannan poovizhi kannan and adi podi paithiyakari.

From Mars
26th January 2005, 10:08 PM
Jn ithu PS song illai, LRE song :)

jn
27th January 2005, 12:40 AM
FM: neenga kan mattum thaan check pannikkanum nu ninaichirundhen.. kaadhaiyum check pannikkanum:)

Ramki
27th January 2005, 05:04 AM
jn neenga kekadha PS songa?:)) as you said the song reminds many songs like 'unadhu malar kodiyile','adi podi paithiyakaari' etc. But arguing through a game is unique in this song.

Ramki
27th January 2005, 05:18 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/pani_pop.rm

Song: paniyil nanaiyum malargaL
Film: Priya oh Priya
Singers: Chitra, Mano
Lyrics: vaali

Song requested by yvsMani and RR.

-'Priya oh Priya' is tamil dubbing of Manirathnam's and Anilkapoor's only kannada film 'Pallavi anupallavi' with Lakshmi and Kiran Vairale. I remember watching the songs in chitramala and was very impressed with the song's picturisation (at that time ManiRathnam was a unknown).

Personally today's pick doesnt impress me very much because of the dull rendition by ksc and Mano(listen to original by SPB,SJ in Musicindiaonline). Though the pallavi is very impressive, saranam kind of fizzles out.

RR
27th January 2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks ramki.

I think the song is worth for its pallavi alone. Listen how the tune is taken up by the strings section. The vocals give a sensuous touch, but the strings seem to express the 'rush of feelings' inside. The orchestration goes through a sudden shift in the interludes. Maybe to reflect something in the picturisation. The ending of the song is a 'humming' counterpoint similar to 'ninaivo oru paravai'.
Mano,chitra are ok, though the original is miles ahead.

Ramki
28th January 2005, 05:06 AM
RR yes i enjoyed the orchestration but the saranam and singing could have been better.

Ramki
29th January 2005, 04:59 AM
[tscii:a122901980]Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/varu_ins.rm

Song: varuvaai manamohana
Film: Inspector
Singers: MLVasanthakumari,??
Lyrics:
Music : GRamanathan

-This is a unique song interlaced with funny dialogues and good singing by MLV. The dialogues are quiet funny. Im not sure of the situation or the actors in the song but sounds like a director instructing an actress to emote in a dance sequence.

-The tune reminds me of 'kaathirupaan kamala kaNNan'-same raaga?

Mrs Charumathi writes:

"Varuvaai mana mohana" song is set in "Simmendhra Madhyama raagam" and
"Adhi ThaaLam". This raaga is 57th"MeLam".

Aarohanam : Sa Ri2 Ga1 Ma2 pa Dha1 Ni2 Sa
Avarohanam : Sa Ni2 Dha1 Pa Ma2 Ga1 Ri2 Sa This song has excellent orchestration.

Noteworthy are:
"the swara Korvais" of the male singer between the pallavi and charanams 1 and 2;
"The raaga aalaapanai" that follows the line "viraga theeyinaal sarugaai enadhu udal" in charanam 1.

First, I want to confess that I have no idea about the situation or picturisation of the song in the movie. My analysis is based only on the audible aspect of the song.

The song has dialogues in between, sung by a lady in love for her sweetheart, where a male voice (who is an expert in music or a teacher),corrects the female singer in between the lines of the song. I do not know whether to consider "the swara korvais" of the male singer in
between the lines of the song as part of the song composition.

Instead of consdering this as a song, it can be considered as how naturally a rehearsal of the song is done before the final rendition of the song.

When the male voice cuts in between the lines to correct the female singer, a flaw can be detected in the "thaalam". The technical defetcs can be
pardoned due to inadequate technology available in the days of the song.

Alliteartion in the lyrics adds charm to this song.

"MOnai" is found in the following words:

Pallavi : Varuvaai
Varavai

Charanam 1 : Paruva kaalam
Padum paadu

"Edhugai" is found in the followiing words:

Pallavi : varuvaai
Varavai

Charanam 1:
viragath theeyinaal karugumunne

charanam 2:
Paruva
kaalam
urugum
maruvi
tharuga

The music tutor has tried to bring "sahithiya bhaavam" while correcting
"thudiyaai thudikkum" and” karugum"; he could have tried to bring a feeling of longing while singing "varuvaai mana mohana" in pallavi.

He has tried to give a small stress in "viraga theeyinaal" in charanam 1 and "paruva kaalam" in charanam 2; he could have tried to show a feeling of sympathy in the words "urugum" and "irangi".

This song has a hidden message to singers of all times.
Even though singers are perfect in singing, they should try to emote to the meaning of the lyrics and try to succeed in bringing the "bhaavam" to the meaning of the song.[/tscii:a122901980]

rajraj
29th January 2005, 05:41 AM
Ramki: Great choice. The male singer is V.N.Sundaram. There were five lyricists. This one is probably by Marudhakasi. I think this is a dance piece! Not sure!

Ramki
29th January 2005, 05:57 AM
Raj thankyou for the details. Do you know who acted in this film?

rajraj
29th January 2005, 06:05 AM
Ramki: Here is the cast: T.K.Shanmugam,T.K.Bhagavathi,S.Balachander,S.A.Nat arajan,AnjaliDevi,C.K.Saraswathi.M.S.Draupadhi and P.K.Saraswathi.
T.K.Shanmugam and brothers had a theatre (drama) troupe. I am not sure this is the cinmea version of a drama. It is quite possible!

Ramki
29th January 2005, 06:17 AM
Thank you raj. If our correct politicians were born then, they might
have objected to the english title :roll:

RR
29th January 2005, 09:43 AM
Good one. I think this is more relaxed and gives a fuller feel of SM than the fast-paced 'ellaam imbamayam'. The briga when MLV ends 'mohanaaa' is lovely. The accompanying mridangam is also quite good. e.g. Listen how well it goes along with the tune when the vocals goes high in 'manamohanaa'.
The dialogues are of course enjoyable :)

Ramki
30th January 2005, 10:33 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://raretfm.com/songs/aati_nt.rm

Song: aati vachaa aadavendum
Film: Nalla thambi
Singers: Vanijairam, Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran

-The song is dedicated to 'theriyaamal mattikoNda kanavargaL' :notworthy:
-A very funny song to continue our comedy streak, very well sung by Vani and MV. The lyrics are just hilarious. I'm sure the song is based on some classical raagam.
'Nalla thambi' had karthik and Radha in the lead. I do not remember any other song from this film nor the story line.
This must have released immediately after 'alaigaL oyvadhillai' like many other karthik-radha films.

Naaz
30th January 2005, 11:15 PM
Ramki -

Had not heard this song in god knows how long...but had a great time listening to it again! Even in such a casual and crazy song, the singers introduce a touch of artistry in the naatha and seetha endings. It is evident that VJ-MVD had fun singing this one. (Another fun duet by the same duo for IR: "Manmadhan Thaan Vitta Ambu, Pannudhaiya Indha Vambu.")
Cheered me up for sure!

rajraj
31st January 2005, 12:04 AM
Ramki: 'teriyaamal maattikkoNda kaNavargaL' ! sondha anubavamo? :) :) :)

RC
31st January 2005, 12:07 AM
Raj: ungaL punnagai paarthaal neengaLum andha katchiyil uNdo.. :)

RC
31st January 2005, 12:10 AM
I think this movie was produced by AVM! There are other songs in this movie that are listenable but cant get to remember them.

rajraj
31st January 2005, 12:12 AM
RC: ennudaiya 'generation' edhu endru ungaLukku theriyum! :)
andha 'generation'-il ' pidivaadhamum ethirvaadhamum peNgaLukke koodaadhu'-nnu oruthaar paadianaar! :)

Ramki
31st January 2005, 12:28 AM
raj unga generationle 'kaasi pogum sanyaasi' paatu kooda unde :))

RC
31st January 2005, 02:10 AM
Raj: unga generation-la sonnadha konjam azhuthi solli irundha indha prachanai irundhirukkumaa? :)

balaji
31st January 2005, 03:22 AM
"nalla Thambi' produced by AVM and directed by SPM was released I believe in 1985 after 'Nallavanukku Nallavan'. May be AVM wanted to compensate Karthik after a small role in the Rajini Starrer.

ANother Padavathi Movie, it also had that 'Thangam Ival Angam' Song which used to be played in the Radio ...

Bala

Ramki
31st January 2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the details balaji

jn
1st February 2005, 04:48 AM
ramki: theriyaamal maati konda manaivigalukku song eppo dedicate panna pore? :)

Ramki
1st February 2005, 05:11 AM
jn andha maadhiri agilathile yaarume illaiye:))

rajraj
1st February 2005, 05:14 AM
Ramki: adhaane! madhuraikkaaranga ketkira keLviyaa idhu? :)

rajraj
14th February 2006, 09:17 AM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/bhuva.rm

Song: bhuvaneswari aruLpuri aadhari
Film: Thaiye neeye thunai
Singers : KJY, Chitra
Lyrics: Vaalee
Music : Raveendran

-What a song. I watched the movie just for this song. I need not mention that i was totally disappointed ..it was picturised on Pandian and Srividya(soninlaw -mother inlaw). This film had 'ungaL abimaana nakshathirangaL' which included amman films mandatory artistes KRVijaya, NaLini etc. The only redeeming factor were the songs.

Valee has done an excellent job with lyrics(difficult sandhams)

Mrs charumathi writes:

"Bhuvaneswari aruL puri" is beautifully composed by Raveendran and soulfully rendered by KJY and KSC.

It is based on raaga, Revathi and set to 'Eka ThaaLam'. It has the following aaro and avrokanam and swarasthanam:

S R1 M1 P N1 S
S N1 P M1 R1 S

Revathi can be said janyam of Mela's 2, 8 and 14.

In the song, beat starts before the humming.
Normally KSC makes hardly any pronunciation mistake, however KJY and KSC made pronunciation mistakes in this song. May be it is a deliberate attempt. Example:

Bhuvaneshwary - Buvaneswary (actual)
Shankari - Sankari (actual)
Sharanam/charanam - saranam (actual).

This song can be only sung by well known singer because of the following reasons:

1) Pallavi has brighas in the following line: 'soolini maadhavan sridharan sOdhariyE'

2) Low and High stayi (pitch) used in the song. For example, in saraNam 1,

Low - High
paavamO - vinaiyin
thaapamO - unathu
kOpamO - viLaintha
saapamO - karunai

3) the song is composed in ascending order and this adds the classical beauty to the song. For example:

S - vazhiyum punalil undhan thiruvadi nanaiyatum
M - nanaintha piraku undhan thiruvuLLam kaniyattum
P - kanintha kanivil undhan kadaikaNkaL oLiratum
N - iruNdu kidakkum engaL pozhuthukaL pularatum

The Music director used fantastic rhythm through out the song. For example:

1. tha ki ta thaam - tha ki ta
bha va mo - vinaiyin
2. tha ki ta - tha ki ta - tha ka - tha ka di mi - tha ka ja nu
vazhiyum - puna lil - undhan - thi ru va di na nai yatum

The composition touches high "Pa" at the end of charaNam 1 & 2. Raveendran has used mirudhangam, Tabla and veena really well in the song, specially he used 'urumi' to express the emotional devotional (bhakthi paravasam) feeling.

It is a duet 'devotional' song which is not common in music.

Shakthiprabha.
27th July 2008, 04:22 PM
Next pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/idhu.rm

Song: idhu kaNavugaL viLaindhidum kaalam
Film: Nizhal thedum nenjangaL
Singers : Janaki, Deepan Chakravarthi

-I was hooked to this song when i first listened to it few years ago on oli 96.8. As far as i know vividh bharathi has never aired this beauty.
The range of the song suits Deepans voice very well and this is one of his best.
I remember 2 other songs from 'nizhal thedum nenjangal'-
mangala vaanam (MV,BSS)
pookaL sindhungaL (SJ)

-I may not be rite, but i think Radhika,sivakumar acted in this film.
-I apologise for the sumaar quality of the song. I had this song on a tape and tried my best to remove the noise during conversion.

I am hooked too!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
:musicsmile: :musicsmile: :swinghead: :swinghead: