PDA

View Full Version : Agatha Christie

mirth
26th March 2005, 10:54 AM
Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors. Her mysteries are always well-plotted. I particularly love her Hercule Poirot mysteries although my favourite book of hers, And Then There Were None, does not feature him.

Besides the plot, another aspect of Agatha Christie's books I like is the romance. Yep, the romance. The romance in her books are all subtle and yet memorable. The romance does not take the centrestage but yet I find myself remembering the romantic moments between some characters.

The Death on the Nile, I think is a very good example. You have a girl (Jacqueline) who is willing to do anything for her love. You have another girl (Cornelia) who is pragmatic about love. You have a guy (Ferguson) who is willing to change his principles for a girl.

The contrast between passionate love and the kind that grows on you is well brought out in Sad Cypress. Passenger to Frankfurt, The Man in the Brown Suit, They Came to Baghdad and of course The Murder on the Links had great if limited romantic moments.

So what are your favourite Agatha Christie books and why?

Surya
29th April 2005, 08:42 AM
I just loved 10 little indians & Murder on the Orient Express! Those are the only ones that i've red of hers. But 10 littl eindians's ending was kind of expected though.

NM
29th April 2005, 01:22 PM
Mirth, at one point, I read only Agatha's novels..I simply loved them and the egg-shaped bald-headed belgian detective.. :lol: ! But, I can't seem to remember the titles I've read.....i've read all the ones mentioned. Have you read Agatha's own story, too? Don't miss it! Will write down more of her works when I remember..

a.ratchasi
18th April 2006, 06:42 AM
My first Agatha Christie was The Uninvited Guest.
Needless to say, I got hooked!

I liked the very introduction of Miss Marple in Sleeping Murder and how she noses herself into the case without the slightest knowledge of the couple. Witty..very witty!! 8-)

Detective Poirot, NM? :D
There was a time when TV2 used to air selected Poirot movies.
Do you recall that?

NM
18th April 2006, 07:12 AM
a.r : yes, i do recall watching HP series... :D

Have you read Agatha's own story (auto)? She made her disappearing act 'Agatha Christie' style :D

I remember reading Sparkling cyanide - a very good one!

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 08:51 AM
i used to watch Poirot on the TV ?

is that Murder on Orient Express AC's ? with Poirot investing the case ....

NM
18th April 2006, 10:38 AM
Yes, BG :D

NM
18th April 2006, 10:39 AM
Yes, BG :D

a.ratchasi
19th April 2006, 07:57 AM
Have you read Agatha's own story (auto)? She made her disappearing act 'Agatha Christie' style :D

I remember reading Sparkling cyanide - a very good one!

Not yet, NM. I will add these to my To Read list, definitely. :)

rain
19th April 2006, 09:08 PM
good to see AC fans here !

i enjoyed Miss.Marple,the detective with a penchant for knitting tho i preferred to watch the Poirot series mainly for the leading actor(forgot his name) he was sraight out of the book !

but my all time fav.which got me hooked to Christie was the Murder of Roger Ackroyd.the plot and climax in a doctors life thrills to the end.i have this one for a keeper :D

ssanjinika
15th May 2006, 09:53 PM
I still collect Agatha christie books :P.
Though you cant really read murder mysteries again and again I somehow seem to enjoy reading her books quite a bit :)

ramky
21st May 2006, 05:36 PM
Though I have read lots of Agatha Christie's works, my favorties are : The Murder on the Orient Express, The ABC Murders, The Ten Little Indians ( which was also called, "And then there were none" ), and a few more featuring Poirot.

Alan
12th November 2006, 02:19 PM
My first Christie book was "Death on the Nile'.

My all time favourite is "Appointment with Death" - There were many that I had read but I really can't remember the titles. For some reason, I always preferred Poirot to Ms Marple.

Tharuna
7th June 2007, 12:21 PM
hi all,
i recently read 'Death in the clouds' and liked it.
Alan, even i prefer poirot to Marple.

Suguna Kannan
26th June 2007, 09:19 PM
Agatha Christie par excellence! Each and every one of her books is a precious gem to be stored and savoured sentence by sentence, phrase by phrase and word by word. Her best book is "The Mousetrap" according to me.

Tharuna
28th June 2007, 04:17 PM
I read her collection of short stories 'The Labours of Hercules' and I found it interesting too.

smith1
26th July 2007, 07:16 PM
10 little niggers is considered agatha christie's best book.

It has been made into a film in almost all langauges.

U have forgotten to mention miss marple as a detective in many of her novels.