PDA

View Full Version : Is Grammy Award confirmed for IR?

irfansong
28th March 2005, 08:34 AM
Has Grammy Award been confirmed for IR after the release of Thiruvasagam in Symphony?

I heard that he should be awarded with Grammy award and the project has come very excellently. Has he been nominated for it and are things proceeding in such a way that he'll be a Grammy award winner this year?

Rasigar

NagaS
28th March 2005, 09:33 AM
I don't know about Grammy, but IR sure deserves a 'graamiyaa' award for his songs from annakkiLi to virumaaNdi ;)

NOM Guys ...

NagaS

zz
28th March 2005, 06:18 PM
This is one amoung 1000s of falacies floating around...Lets not exagerate...IR might deserve a grammy or more, but let TIS release first....lets first try to categorise that music piece into genere...and then let us talk...It is IR's first attempt...so lets give him a patient hearing atleast...Lets not jump into conclusions and blowup a big bubble.

alias
28th March 2005, 10:55 PM
Are you joking man? This should be the joke of the century. You havent heard how the symphony is going to be and u concluded that IR would grammy for it. Wake up buddy

MADDY
30th March 2005, 06:46 AM
Grammy awards definitely deserve IR on its list........saw Punnagai Mannan yesterday on KTV..i had seen Punnagai mannan when i was in KG and it didn't affect me much, but now when i saw the movie, i was really touched.......what music mann (Gr8 addnl. programming by ARR though, just kiddin).......it lingered in my mind for a very long time.......truly IR is an outstanding musician who touches innermost realms of soul through a romantic and an inexplicable channel......truly master class........i feel proud that i was born in his era.........

If grammy gives IR an award then it wud show its appreciation for global music.......

vincent
30th March 2005, 04:15 PM
GRAMMY IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A GENIUS LIKE HIM
ILAYARAJA ISAIKE GRAMM-LAN ROMBE KURAIVU :wink:

Jacky
30th March 2005, 05:14 PM
Kavithai Kelungal is a mediocre song. Western bits and the songs classical base just doesn't gel.
Something ARR was able to achieve with Dating-Boys and Yakkai thiri. This is not to compare ARR and IR, but just to cite better efforts. KalaKala maga Vazhum from the same album is a much better attempt though.

NagaS
30th March 2005, 06:23 PM
Kavithai Kelungal is mediocre ? I don't know what you mean by that, But IMO its one of the rare songs where you see western and classical styles complement each other, at the same time, treat to a common listener (like me :)) also !

Nagas

Jacky
30th March 2005, 07:22 PM
Compare that with Idhu oru Kana Kalam – Tik tik tik.
The alaap beautifully blends with the song and the feel is ecstatic to a common listener like me :)

eden
30th March 2005, 08:02 PM
Jacky, adhu `idhu oru nilAkkAlam'ungO...`kanAkkAlam' illa...:-)

Jacky
30th March 2005, 08:25 PM
Scene pattula lyrics ellam gavanikarthilingo. Irunthalum oru Sorry.

MADDY
31st March 2005, 05:20 AM
Hey guys, just listen to "Yedho Yedho ennam valarthen" and if u r not moved then ur inhuman.....that single song deserved IR a national award and any other award.......
but i played the same song to my maharashtrian friend who just shrugged off saying ARR's songs are better....maybe that is IR's strength and weakness......u have to have some tamilness running in u to enjoy his style of music......neverthless IR is the most terrific composer from TN.......

kbee
31st March 2005, 09:37 AM
Maddy

Yedho Yedho ennam valarthen - which song you are referring to?

All IR has to do is just use his tunes in 70s and 80s for hindi songs. Thats it. Nothing else. He will be the king of Hindi music for another 20 years.

NormalMan
31st March 2005, 11:26 AM
Maddy

Yedho Yedho ennam valarthen - which song you are referring to?

All IR has to do is just use his tunes in 70s and 80s for hindi songs. Thats it. Nothing else. He will be the king of Hindi music for another 20 years.

Anand-Miland have used most of em' :P

Jacky
31st March 2005, 11:49 AM
Yedhedo ennam valarthen is a typical IR melody with monotonic tabla sounds. Dunn mistake me, the melody is haunting but tabla sounds give a boring feeling after repeated listening. IR could have composed this song in his sleep. If anyone wants to rave about Etheytho...i can cite better songs
1. Kadalin deepam onru
2. Kadhal oviyum
3. Poo maliye thol serava
4. Nan thedum sevvathi poo ethu
5. Thuliyele adavantha
I responded earlier cuz i felt PM is an overrated album except Yena satham intha neram.

nkv
31st March 2005, 05:30 PM
I agree with Jacky..

But the one 'love theme' and 'Enna Satham' is enough to describe the caliber of Raja..

Kavithai Kelungal is a tailor product..Its neither classical, nor disco.. It just couldnt make an impact..

I thought the song 'Singalathu Chinnakkuyile' will be a terrific one, but it disappointed me when Raja settlled to slow paced Tabla in the charanams..

NagaS
31st March 2005, 05:35 PM
somehow I don't understand, whats wrong with tabla ? :)

NagaS

Jacky
31st March 2005, 06:13 PM
For hardcore IR fans nothing is wrong with Tabla. For common listeners it is humdrum - i mean the tabla not melody. Nilavey va - Mouna Ragam is another beautiful melody with predictable (reused hundreds of times) Tabla sounds.

MADDY
31st March 2005, 06:41 PM
Hello Mr.Kbee.......it is not so easy to do well in Bollywood....look at the list of failures(from south) like Madhavan,shankar,mohan lal..... and u'll be terrified.........that doesent make bollywood the ultimate destination but it's just tough to succeed here.......only Kamal and ARR have managed to do it so far.......

this is what i dunt like abt IR fans......edhu sonnalum adhu oru thappunnu solli adhukku oru justification message.......to heck with all ur suggestions- i love yedho yedho song from punnagai mannan....i dunt think there is any better song in that album.......i think i have posted too much here....lemme go back to my home(ARR's section).........bye guys.......

kbee
31st March 2005, 07:41 PM
maddy naan edhuvum thappa sollidala. enakku yedho yedho song takkunnu strike agalai, so athaan enna songunnu kaetten. now i know its from PM.

apparam i was talking about IR to reuse his 70s and 80s tune in hindi, because hindi songs are now a days very soft and rajas song in 70s and 80s were similar. athaan sonnean. chumma unga veetilayae (ARR secon) irukkatheenga, adikkadi enga veetukkum vaanga.

on a seperate topic, this mornign i missed my 6:57 train, so waiting for next 7:09 train and meanwhile i went to get coffee from dunkin donuts. there was some chineese song playing in a boom box there and I was stunned. I got my coffee and i couldnt move out of that place, and the lady thought I am waiting for tissue or more sugar, then I finally realized and told her that i am listening to the song.

Well whats the big deal about it - the song is

"vellai pookkal from kannathil muthamittal by our ARR"

i didnt bother to ask her if its an old song or newly released

Jacky
31st March 2005, 08:26 PM
Maddy Sir!

"this is what i dunt like abt IR fans......edhu sonnalum adhu oru thappunnu solli adhukku oru justification message.......to heck with all ur suggestions-"

Athai vida better songs irukarthala sonnen. Never meant to ridicule you or your favorites. If you still feel hurt I'm sorry.

Ravi_odiyur
1st April 2005, 12:18 AM
Why do we have to rely on such "foreign" awards to ascertain IR's greatness? He would continue to be great without these awards. I guess what matters is millions of people realizing his geniusness.

MADDY
1st April 2005, 06:57 AM
hey guys i think i over-reacted a bit too much here.....sorry guys......infact i took all ur suggestions and listened to the whole album (PM) again.......all songs were gud but still Yedho yedho song stood out for me as it was more romantic than the others.........

Mr.Ravi, i think India and Indian artistes/sportsmen shuld be recognised all over the world......evalo naalthan gundu chattiyila kuthurai otarathu???i think it is high time that we get recognised big time outside........and what better way to start with a Grammy for IR.........

kbee
1st April 2005, 06:40 PM
glad you are visiting our home again :)

irfansong
5th April 2005, 07:10 PM
Guys,

In PM, one song is there.... I think it starts.. like this...Domtha theemtha dom thanangal pada... Its a great example for a perfect fusion music.

What a wonderful music ya! that too during the charanam, in two places, when it fades down to a very melodious tune and lyrics... like ' aduppu kooti avicha nellai vithaithu vaithathu yaru..' ' Alaiylirundu karaiyl vizhundu thudi thudikkuthu meenu ' ... after these lines, a drum sound will come.. like this.. du.. du.. dum. Thats fantastic and when that part ends, a male humming will start ... AAah...Ahh....! and end in thajana thajana tham thamthana thajana thajana tham tham thana.. continued by female voice..

IR's music will be existing and be loved by people for this millennium.

Great music... He'll complete atleast 25 Symphonies in his life time.

Irfan

kbee
5th April 2005, 08:08 PM
He will definitely complete 25 symphonies but we need atleast 1 to save it for our life time. TIS is quite now a days and nothing is happening.

MUSIC LOVER
3rd May 2005, 09:40 PM
GUYS LISTEN TO MANADHIL ENNA NINAIVUGALOA FROM THE MOVIE POONTHALIR......ITS ONE OF RAAJAS CARREER BEST AND SPBS CARREER BEST.......THIS MOVIE CAME IN 1979 AND NO ONE WOULD HAVE EVEN THOUGHT OF SUCH A MODERN COMPOSITION THAT TIME..

irfansong
4th May 2005, 01:52 PM
Guys,

When I asked my American friends to hear the 'Monkey Chatter' music, they all said it is fantastic. My friends include a couple of music teachers also. Everyone like it very much. Its certainly of world standards. If Symphony comes with this standard, it will surely fetch Grammy for IR.

Do you feel anything wrong about it?

tmrrmt
4th May 2005, 02:16 PM
irfansong - where in the US do you live ?

kbee
4th May 2005, 07:24 PM
irfansong

i played the music to a russian friend (who listen nothing but some pure instrumentals) and he was amazed (theme music). he said "i didn't know indian music is so modern. i thought indian music is very old and boring". he couldnt stop prasing the music (partially for me also, but I could see his face totally took him by surprise)

with symphony coming hopefully IR will do more work to reach international audiance

irfansong
12th May 2005, 09:14 AM
Hi Guys,

The message posted by Kbee is 100% sure. Foreigners love the music very much.

But in the movie, I didn't hear that music at all. Was that only for the Audio album?