PDA

View Full Version : Kuruma, KaRi, Koottu

Oldposts
16th April 2005, 07:57 AM
Topic started by Venky Narayanan (venkynarayanan@hotmail.com) on Fri Jun 25 12:08:29 .

Recipes for Kuruma, KaRi, Koottu and other thottukkura items (side dishes)

Oldposts
Here is a recipe for "navarathna kuruma" i make.
With a very slight variation you can make it in three different styles, viz.,
North Indian, South Indian and Thai

Ingredients :

* onion, potato, tomato (must, other veg.s optional)
* carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower, Green pepper
(and any other COLORFUL vegetable you can think of)

* cashew nut, dhraatchai (if you like a little sweet taste in kuruma)
* garlic and ginger
* panneer (available in Indian grocery stores)
* Whipping cream (and NOT Whipped cream) OR Milk (sunda kaaychiya paal)
* garam masala, chilli & turmeric powder
* oil, ghee and salt
-------------

Sey murai :

* boil potato and peel off skin
* boil vegetables (not for very long)

* chop onions and fry
* add ginger and garlic paste
* fry till onion becomes soft (20 seconds approx)
* add chopped tomato and fry for about 5 minutes
* add "masichcha" potato and other vegetables to it
* add garam masala, chilli, turmeric powder and salt to taste
* add Whipping cream/milk (be careful not to add a lot)
* let it boil for some time
* fry paneer separately (in ghee) and add it to the kuruma
* fry cashew nuts (in ghee) and add it along with dhraatchai
* garnish with coriander leaves
-------------

For "south indian" style :

* don't add garam masala and panneer
* Don't use "whipping cream",
* Instead: 'thEngaai' & 'poondu' arachchu vida vendum.
* Add pattai & sombu if you like that taste
* kadaisiyil kadugu thaaliththu kottavum
-------------

For "Thai" style : (called 'paad puk')

* Cut Vegetables in a little longer and bigger pieces
* (If available) use Green, Red, and Yellow Peppers
* Don't add garam masala and panneer
* Don't use "whipping cream"
* Use arachcha thengai + poondu or directly 'thengai paal' (available in indian or thai grocery stores)
* Finally add 'peanut sauce' (araiththa ver-kadalai) to get the authentic thai flavour

Lemme know if you like it

Venky Narayanan.
venkynarayanan@hotmail.com

Oldposts
Here is a very simple yet tasty side dish

Seppang kizhangu varuval

Ingredients :
-------------
* Seppang kizhangu
* chilli powder and salt
* Oil to fry

Sey MuRai :
-----------
* seppang kizhangai vega vaikkavum (romba kozha kozhakka vida vendaam)
* peel off the skin
* Cut it into medium size cubes
* Marinate it with Salt and Chilli powder and keep it aside.
* Heat oil for frying in the pan.
* Fry the marinated seppang kizhangu (like vadaams)
OR (If you are alergic to oil :)
* Use Oven (NOT microwave) and roast it till it becomes brown

Very simple yet tasty side dish. You can even add salt/chilli/pepper after frying. Instead of seppang kizhangu you can also (f)try Urulai or other kizhangu vagaigal this way.

Venky Narayanan

Oldposts
do we get good seppankizhangu in US? didn't find good ones.. tried sometime, but they were too small and nothing much remained after removing the skin:(

Oldposts
You can get real good sepangkizhangu in Fiesta Grocery store (for those in Texas area). Try their 'International Fiesta' stores, where you can find a lot of desi stuff (including kumbakonam veththalai :). They even have a 'Namaste' board written in Hindi at the entrance.

Oldposts
<h2>Gobi Manchurian</h2>

This is originally a Mongolian dish. Since it is a rare dish (you don't even get it in many North Indian restaurants) it will be a good tasty alternative, when you are tired of cooking and eating the same old mundane stuff.

Ingrediants
-----------
* Gobi (Cauli Flower)
* Corn flour (sOLa maavu)
* maidhaa maavu (or, All-purpose-flour)
* 2 medium Onions (or 1 large)
* 3 medium Tomatoes
* Soya Sauce (available in American or Chinese grocery store. Even the Indian 'Nestle' company has released one recently)
* Ginger, Garlic, Green chillies
* Salt
* Sprint Onions & Coriander (for garnishing)

sey muRai
---------
* Cut CauliFlower into medium pieces (It's better to use your hand to cut the floweretes instead of knife. romba udhiri-udhiriyaaga udaiththu vida vEndaam.)
* Add Corn flour, Maidhaa and a little salt to make a soggy batter (little thinner than the dough you make for 'Bajji')
* Marinate CauliFlower in the batter for about 5 minutes
* Heat oil in a pan (or fyer) and "Deep-fry" CauliFlower in it. (like 'pakodaas')
* You can use the remaining flour while making the actual manchurian
- Keep these dumplings aside.

* Finely chop 1 onion, tomatoes and Garlic.
* In a non-stick pan add 1 tea spool oil and fry onion and Garlic till it becomes soft.
* Add the tomato pieces and fry for about 3 minutes in high flame.
* Let it cool for sometime. (In the meanwhile you can continue with the next step).
* After it is cooled down, beat it in the mixie and make a puree' out of it.
- This is the base for the Gravy

* Heat two table spoons of oil in a pan
* Add Chopped Onion (1), Ginger, Garic (rendu pallu), Green Chillies and stir fry it till the onion becomes light brown
* Add onion-tomato puree', 2 table spoons of Soy Sauce and salt and keep stirring the mix in low heat.
* Add a little bit of remaining Corn-maidhaa-batter to the mixture.
* Add the Fried-CauliFlowers to this mix and cook it for about 5 minutes in low heat.
* Finally, Chop Sprint onions and Coriander finely and garnish 'Gobi Manchurian'.

Serve it hot with fried rice ... mmmmmm hhhmmmmm.... yummy ! :-)

- Venky Narayanan

Oldposts
typo: "Spring Onions" (instead of Sprint onions). I swear, it wasn't an ad for SprintPCS :-))

Oldposts
this is just a test.sorry for the bother.....

Oldposts
Lot of people in forumhub had been asking for the recipe of 'kurumaa' in our South Indian / Tamil Naadu style. (namma ooru "barOtta-kurumaa" vOda taste-E thani, illaiyaa ?).

Here is a recipe from an authentic professional cook, for South-Indian-Style KurumA.

Yesterday I prepared this dish under his supervision, and it came out real good. (He made veechu-parOtta and I enjoyed this heavenly parOtta-kurumaa combo).

(Please note that, this recipe is a very detailed one. The quantity mentioned in this recipe is good enough for 4 people)

<u><h2>(South Indian) KurumA</h2></u>
<u>PoruLkaL (Ingredients)</u>
* uruLai kizhangu (potato) - 1
* Beans - 6
* Carrot - 1/2
* Cauli Flower - 6 flowerets
* Green peas
* thakkaaLi (tomato) - 1
* vengaayam (onion) - 1

* Ginger
* Garlic
* pachchai miLagaay (green chilly) - 3
* thEngaay (coconut) - 4 paththai
* koththamalli (cilaantro)
* pudhinaa (mint)
* Ghee
* Oil
* Kunguma poo - just a chittigai aLavu
* thayir (curd) - 2 spoons
* manjaL podi
* Salt

* pattai
* sOmbu
* Elakkaay
* kraambu
* bay leaves
* miLagu(pepper)
* dhaniyaa
* mundhiri paruppu (cashew nuts)

<u>Sey MuRai (Process)</u>
* Make a Ginger-Garlic paste, by grinding equal amount of peeled Ginger and Garlic. Keep the paste aside (we are going to use 1 spoon of this paste later)

* To prepare the Masaalaa mix : add Dhaniyaa (1 spoon), miLagu(1/4 spoon), very little (just 2 or 3 peices of each) of pattai-sOmbu-Elakkaay-kraambu, Green chilly, Cashew nuts (10), and Coconut and grind them in a grinder to make a thick paste. Keep this masaalaa paste aside.

* Cut Potato, Beans, Carrot into small pieces. Cut Cauli flower into little larger pieces.
* Chop Oinion into small pieces and Tomato into little bigger pieces.
* Boil Potato, Beans, Carrot in a vessel. When it is half cooked, add Cauliflower and a little ManjaL podi and let it boil for 2 more minutes (Tip: Don't let Cauliflower be well cooked. If it is well-done, you will not be able to see/taste Cauliflower in the final end product)

* In a frying pan add 5 spoons of oil.
* Once the oil is hot, add kraambu, Elakkaay, pattai, sOmbu and fry it for 1/2 a minutes
* Add chopped Onion and fry it till it becomes soft (in Medium flame)
* Add cut Tomato
* Add a little water (preferably the drained water from the boiled vegetables, from the previous step)
* Add manjaL podi and Salt
* Let it cook for about 3 minutes in low flame
* Add green peas (pachchai pattaani)
* Add the boiled vegetables and cook for about 3 minutes in low flame
* Add a little kunguma poo
* Add 2 spoons of Curd
* At this point of time, add 1 spoon of Ginger-Garlic paste
* Add the Masaalaa Mix
* Let it cook for about 2 minutes in medium flame
* Add 2 spoons of Ghee and Finely chopped Koththamalli & Pudhinaa and cook for the final 1 minute...
* Kurumaa is ready to be served hot with "Maidhaa Maavu-Kaimaa-Veechu-barOttaa"

* The aroma of this kurumaa will certainly take your memories back to your favorite hotel in your native town !!

(Tips:
* Dont let Cauli flower boil for a long time
* To make the kurumaa more spicy, increase the amount of 'miLagu and pachai miLagaay'.
* Don't use chilli powder or red chilli
* You don't have to boil Green peas like other vegetables
* Don't remove the stems (kaambu) of pudhinaa (mint) & koththamalli)

Try it out and let me know whether you enjoyed it...

- Venky Narayanan
VenkyNarayanan@hotmail.com

Oldposts
Just when you thought you'd tried it all, we see this kuruma receipe with helpful tips! It really guides you through each step.I tried it out yesterday, and the Kuruma came out very good.

THANK YOU!

Oldposts
You are welcome RB !

Oldposts
Recipe for the Chettinaadu 'eNNey kaththirikkaay'...

<h2>eNNey kaththirikkaay</h2>
(Stuffed Brinjal/Egg Plant)

Important Note: To make this, you need 'small' egg plants/brinjals (of the size of big lemons). If you don't have those, still you can try this recipe as a regular kathirikkaay kari !

<u>poruLkaL (Ingredients)</u>

* SMALL kaththirikkay (brinjal/egg plant) - 15
* dhaniyaa - 8 tbl spoons
* kadalai paruppu - 5 tbl spoons
* red chilly - 10
* veLLai eLLu - 2 tbl spoon
* miLagu (black pepper) - 1/2 tbl spoon
* thEngaay (coconut) - 3 paththai
* vengaayam (onion) - 1
* thakkaaLi (tomato) - 2
* Green chilly - 2
* Ginger
* puLi
thaaLikka :
* kadugu - 1 spoon
* uLaththamparuppu - 1 spoon
* kadalai paruppu - 2 spoon
* miLagaay vatral - 2
* perungaayam
* karuvEppilai
* koththamalli (cilantro)

<u>sey muRai (Process)</u>

To make the masaalaa :
* Dry fry (with out oil) dhaniyaa, kadalai paruppu, red chilly, eLLu, miLagu, perungaayam.
* Make a fine powder out of it using a mixie
* Cut coconut into small pieces and shred it into fine pieces in the mixie
* Mix coconut, masaalaa powder, little (1 spoon of) & puLi thaNNeer and make a thick mix.

* Cut Onion & Tomato into small pieces
* Add 2 spoons of oil in a pan
* Fry onion, tomato, green chilly & Ginger in that pan till onion becomes soft
* Crush the mix in a mixie into a thick paste
* In a pan heat 5 spoons of oil
* Add a little perungaayam
* Add the oinion-tomato puree, and little puLi thanneer (2 spoons) and fry/boil for for 3 minutes in high flame
* Add 5 spoons of masaalaa mix, manjaL podi & salt and cook till the mix boils well
* This is the base gravy for the curry.

* Make two vertical cuts in each *small* kathirikkaay, and leave out a small portion at the end portion (paavaadai/kudai part of kaththirikkay), so that the shape of the kaththirikkay remains intact.
(NOTE: Cuts should be only for the 3/4 of the length of the kaththirikkaay)
* Add salt to the masaalaa-coconut mix
* Stuff the masaalaa mix inside kaththirikkaay
* Let it marinate for about 3 minutes

* In a wide pan, Add a little oil and Kadugu
* Once the kadugu starts cracking, add kadalai paruppu, uLaththam paruppu, miLagaay vatral (2), perungaayam & karuvEppilai
* Once the paruppu turns golden, add 7 spoons of oil
* Add the stuffed kaththirikkays into the pan
* Close the pan with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes in medium flame
* After that, once in every 3-4 minutes, turn the kaththirikkaay so that, it is evenly cooked
(NOTE: While turning the kaththirikkaay, make sure the inside stuff doesn't come out)
* Once the kaththirikkaay is well done, Add the Gravy mix (made in the previous step) to this kaththirikkaay.
* Cook the mix for about 2 minutes in low flame (this is just to make sure the gravy and the kaththirikkay mix together).

* Garnish with finely chopped koththamalli (cilantro)

Note:
* After cooking, just leave it for about 2 hours in a closed vessel and eat it after that.
* Make sure the use the right amount of salt while making the gravy and the masaalaa-coconut mix
* If you like the taste of pooNdu, pattai, sOmbu, Elakkaay, kraambu, then you can add it while making the masaalaa powder. This is optional.
* Don't put too much of puLi thaNNeer. It is only for taste.

Enjoy !!!

- Venky Narayanan
VenkyNarayanan@hotmail.com

Oldposts
Hats Off Mr. Narayanan,

All your receipes look very great. How come you are able to write about chettinadu as well as North Indian receipes. I am very surprised to see your Thai receipes too. Where do you live ? If you are a local person we would like to come to your place for the Cheppankizhangu curry and Ennai Katharikkai curry. Thank you very much for encouraging ladies like me to fall in love with cooking. These are great receipes for the holiday seasons.

Oldposts
Same feeling here. Keep up the good work Venky!

Oldposts
:-))

Thanks for the compliments Sharadha & Rekha !

Oldposts
Venky,

About the Cheppankizhangu roast. When you try to roast/broil the marianated Kizhangu, the redchilly powder on the kizhangu tends to burn. Have you tried it ? I therefore bake/roast the kizhangu and then saute the roasted kizhangu with oil salt and chilly powder in a wok.

Oldposts
I would like to present an 'authentic' Kashmiri Dum Aloo recipe here. My Kashmiri friend from Srinagar who was visiting me last year prepared it for us. It is very different from the restaurant fare (onion-tomato-cream gravy). This one is extremely spicy, a tear-jerker, to be prepared and kept overnight and to be eaten with 'basmati' rice.

Process

20 baby potatoes
2 tsp dania powder
2 tsp jeera powder
2 tsp sombu powder
4 tsp red (prefarably kashmiri) chilli powder
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry and fry

Skin baby potatoes and prick holes on the surface with fork.
Deep fry them in oil till done and drain on paper. towels.

In a pan heat oil and add all the powders. Quickly add water before the powders start to burn. Throw in the potatoes and more than cover them with water. Simmer (for 45 minutes) till the water evoparates and powders coat the potatoes.

My friend's special touch (not part of the 'authentic recipe) - about 5 minutes before putting off the flame, add crushed garlic.

Oldposts
FoodLover: Baking and frying the chEppangizhangu in a wok is the regular process (try it with a 'kadalai maavu' to make it crispier). Deep frying gives a slightly different taste to it. It is a standard dish in many 'paththu' or 'dhivasa' saappaadu

Oldposts
I like veg manchuria and gobi manchuria.will
someone be kind enoug to send the receipe for the
same .

Oldposts
I am too looking for indian style chinese manchuria, veg and gobi only... Please email me too a receipe for it Please =)

Oldposts
Hi Mr Narayanan:

Excellent receipes! You should share a lot more of your authentic receipes.

Thanks

Seetha Bala

Oldposts
Hi friends

can anyone tell me how to make cabbage poriyal.The cabbage becomes a gravy when i fry it .can anyone tell me how to get polapola (uthiri uthiriyai) cabbage.THANKS in advance.

Oldposts
Try to cook cabbage in little water and keep eye on that to prevent sticking...

Kavi.

Oldposts
Hi, want to thank everyone who contributes... For Food Lover, a doubt in the Dum aloo recipe, what is sombu powder?

Oldposts
Dont cook cabbage in water. The cabbage you get in US can be cooked in couple of spoons of oil.

Put the kadai and add oil. Season it with mustard seeds,urad dall, red chillies. when they are done add the cabbage, turmeric powder and salt and cook them in medium flame. They get cooked very fast and 'udhir udhiraa' varum.

Oldposts
THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A

LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

KAVI & RAMKI

Oldposts
how to prepare gobhi manchuria??/

Oldposts
I like veg manchuria and gobi manchuria.will
someone be kind enoug to send the receipe for the
same .
Thanking you
Sreedhar B.

Oldposts
Hi Sreedhar,
herz the recipe for you,try & lemme know

Reciepe for Alooo Manchurian/Baby Corn Manchurian

take 250 gms baby potato

peel it off

drop it in hot water for 2 mins and keep it aside

take a cup of maida and corn flour powder,ginger garlic paste,red chilli powder,garam masala powder,green chilli powder, red colour powder,salt to taste

make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned in the top and mix the 250 gms aloo(potato) with this along with a bit of water

drop it oil and deep fry it like a pakoda.

this the dry part of it

now the gravy

ingredients for the gravy

onion ,sauthe it

red chilli ,green chilli, soya sauce,tomato sauce,salt, ginger paste and garlic paste.

i table spoon corn flour powder,1 capsicum chopped finely

method of preparaton
sauthe the onion and mix all the ingredients one by one in the onion in the end drop in the capsicum ,add the deep fried aloo in that and fry it well for approx 10 mins and allow everything to mix well

this forms the dry part and if u want a bit of gravy just mix cornflour in water and add it in that

try the same thing in baby corn as well

its yummy with fried rice or plain rice!!!

Bhargavi Raj.

Oldposts
hey Venky, the vertical slits for the stuffing in the ennai katrikai doesn't work very well. The "inside stuff" gets mixed with the outside stuff and its not much fun (stuffing becomes a thottufying item). I'm looking for innovation, someone suggested scoop the inside a little (rather than slit), fill and seal. What say you?

Oldposts
Hi there !
Does any one know the receipe for 'CHETTINADU CHICKEN KULAMBU'

Oldposts
Hello Chandu,
There seems to be an interest in Chettinad food. Did you check other threads in the forum? There is one labeled Chettinad and some kind people have posted recipes. Even Hemant has said he would post some soon.
VC

Oldposts
I am looking for a reciepe for Karhi. If anyone has this to share, I would be very greatful.

Oldposts
Hi Diana,
I have posted recipe for Karhi/kadhi/Morkozumbu in my website,
http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com (http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com
)
Look for it under sambar/Rasam etc.

Oldposts
Please can u suggest some nice receipes for baby corn? I have some already and want to cook them fast!

Oldposts
Please can u suggest some nice receipes for baby corn? I have some already and want to cook them fast!

Oldposts
Here is the one, which I tasted a long time ago in a restaurant, I am not sure whether u r aware or not!

Season oil with mustard, jeera, curry leaves, fry them till the leaves are crispy , then add pieces of onion(lengthy), fry them till it is crispy, then add corn. Once they are all done, add salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder.

I had this as an appetizer, but it was so good. Basically, dont like corn, inspite of that, could not believe that it was a corn dish.

Bye

Oldposts
Hello Venky:

I don't know if you still check this thread or not, tried your recipe for kuruma and came out great and hats off to your step-by-step explanation !

Oldposts
hiii
what is manjal podi?thanks in advance.

Oldposts
turmeric; haldi..

Oldposts
Thank you R C !

Indeed I am visiting this paging after a very long time ;-)
<a name="last"></a>

guhapriya
16th April 2005, 09:43 AM
Hai Venky

The kurma recipies were very good . In the Thai kurma you have mentioned peanut sauce , how do we make it or is it available in stores . Can I omit it or does it give a distictive taste

Thanks

Priya