PDA

View Full Version : IR's "Techno" songs

satish
19th April 2005, 07:15 PM
Folks - Don't know if this is the right thread. But, giving it a shot anyway.
I'm planning to collect some IR songs which may fall into the "techno" category. I'm starting the list here for a lead. I'm sure you folks have an interesting list to contribute..

1. Ninnukori - Agni Natchitiram.
2. Raja, Rajathi rajan indha - Agni Natchitiram.
3. Vaanam namakku - Anjali.

Thanks.

alias
20th April 2005, 12:08 AM
Vikram title song... that is pure techno.

kamarajc
21st April 2005, 12:18 AM
Here are some, if I understood ur question correctly.. :P

Kokkarakko Kozhi - Kalaignan
Diana Diana - Kadhal Kavidhai
Kaalakaalamaaga vaazhum - Punnagai Mannan
Oh Butterfly - Meera
Pazhaivilangu Udaindhadhaa - Meera
Netruvandha Kaatru - Kanmani

Dragun
21st April 2005, 11:24 PM
Kadhalukku Mariyadhai songs (except Aiya Voodu)

rajasaranam
22nd April 2005, 09:27 PM
How can anybody miss "Thathom Thalaangu thathom' From 'VetriVizha' pure Techno Bliss :)

kbee
22nd April 2005, 11:06 PM
What do you mean by "techno" songs.If you are thinking about using pure drums with saxaphone or similar instruments then most of the songs in 80s are "techno" songs. For e.g. ilamai idho idhos from sakalakala vallavan. Yesterday I was listening to "pesa koodathu verum pechchil sugam" and its a bliss. there are thousands of "techno" songs from IR. Only in late 80s and early 90s he moved to "tabla" and stuck with it for a while - the same time when drums mani moved to ARR. now that mani is back with IR we can expect some pure durms and "techno" songs again from IR.

Alias

thanks for mentioning vikram. I was doing my 9th when the movie came and I loved the movie and song so much that I end up watching it almost everyday (thankfully the movie didnt run for more than 20 days in kumbakonam). Last year some hindi movie was released starring ajay devagan and the story is exactly same as vikram. Kamal/sujatha - both gave this movie 15 years ahead. huh:)

satish
25th April 2005, 11:27 AM
Kbee, Yes. You are close to what I meant by techno songs. I used this just word because I couldn't find any better word. And yes, the song you mentioned does fit into this category.
The other day, I was hearing a few songs from my private collection like "Punnagayil Minsaram" from Barathan, "Aadum neram" from Sura Samharam etc. So, I was just thinking that there are so many other songs that I have heard here and there, but just cannot recollect to form a list. That is why I started this post. If you have more songs to contribute, it would be great.
About Vikram, you are right. It was way ahead of time as far as Tamil cinema is concerned. And so was IRs' music that time. Even today, it is hard to believe that Anjali was relesed in 1990. And listening to Mumbai Express makes me feel that we are up for some more such classics from this great man. Though MX didn't have the captivating effect the first time I listened to it, it is certainly growing.. It takes to see that movie first before you can enjoy the album. And that is one rason I feel this audio release was delayed...

thanks.

tmrrmt
25th April 2005, 12:27 PM
where can I get Kalaignan song MP3s for download ?

Thanks

thumburu
25th April 2005, 02:23 PM
Atleat 3 songs from the jinxed film "Time" had a techno feel to them mainly in the interludes
"thavikkiren thavikkiren"
"muthu nilavae"
"kadhal needhaana"

kbee
27th April 2005, 09:38 AM
Kbee, Yes. You are close to what I meant by techno songs.
Thanks for the clarification. Here are few that I think falls on this category

Ninaivo Oru Paravai (Sikappu Rojakal)
Ennadi Meenakshi (Illamai Oonjaladuthu )
songs from priya (Ye paadal ondru, Akarai Cheemai azhaginilae, darling darling darling i love you love you love you in particular)
Sorgam Madhuvilae
My name is billa
Senoritta i love you (salute to IR and SPB for this song)
Madai Thiranthu from Nizhalgal
Germaniyin senthen mazhaiyae
Idhu Oru NIla kaalam (tik tik tik)
Netru Indha Neram (tik tik tik)
Maapilaikku maaman manasu maamanukko (carnatic prelude and charanam and western interlude. listen to it. man where the hell IR get these crazy ideas back in 81 :o. this song is not great but funny to notice that it keeps changing from carnatic to tecno)
Raja rani jockey vaazvil yenna baakki (lot of similarites I found with MX)
Ponmeni uruguthae
Ilayala nila pozhigirathu idhayam varai nanaikirathu
Yeh atha athorama vaariya
Ilamai Idho Idho
Pesakoodathu
AASAI NOORUVAGAI - mother of tamil remix songs
kaveriye kavikuilae (nila adhu vaanatha pole beat!)
Poo maalai oru thaalam poda vaa
vaa vaa pakkam vaa
Oh maane maane maane unnai thaanae
varuthu varuthu vilagu vilagu vengai veliyae varuthu
padippila zero nadippila hero rottila romeo (enna lyrics pa)
Megam Kottatum aattam undu
paadava un paadalai
hey ilove you ilove you ilove you
oororama aathu pakkam thennam thoppu (raaja raajathi raajan engal raaja similarity)
vikram songs
ennama kannu sowkyama
koo koo endru kuil koovatho
kadhal maharani kavithai poovirthaal
hey unnaithane nee endha ooru
hey you you come me hey you you listen to me (from anand)
I want to tell you something - wait a minute (from anand)
Oru Kiliyin Thanimayile
songs from agni natchatram
Guruvayurappa guryvayurappa naan konda paadalukku
vetri vizha songs
vidiya vidiya nadanam
Kaatukkullae paatu sollum
Om namaha
raaja kaiya vachcha raanga ponadillae
thendral thaan thingal thaan
MMKR songs

more to follow tomorrow.

one think is clear from listening to these songs. Since drums mani left IR, after early 90s no drums in IR songs. Since MX brought him back, we can expect some IR techno hits again.

rajasaranam
27th April 2005, 11:07 AM
Kbee,

Billa is by MSV i think
Hey i love you [3[... if its from vidhi then i think that was by SG :?

On th whole many of the songs You have mentioned falls under Disco or POP songs of the 80's IMO.

Satish,
are you sure that these songs fall under techno Category :?

satish
27th April 2005, 12:27 PM
Kbee, Thanks for the listing. These are some of the songs that strike me immediately-
1. Pootu Vaitha Kaadhal thittam - Singaaravelan.
2. April Mayelae - Idhayam.
3. Poongodithaan - Idhayam.
BTW, please excuse my Tamizh in English ;-)

Rajasaranam, Yes. We are kind of deviating from the "techno" listing. Some of the songs might fall into the Pop/Disco category. But, considering the overlap in these categories, it is okay.

It is hard to believe that drums Mani leaving IR would be a big factor in the way IR composes music. Also, yesterday, when I was listening to "Yellorukkum, Nalla kaalam.." song from Marupadiyum, it gets obvious what we are missing these days. Leave alone the use of drums. What happened to the guitar which sounded so good in IR's per 90 compositions?

thanks.