PDA

View Full Version : Illaiyaraja Copied A.R.Rahman

dinesh2002
6th June 2005, 02:36 PM
Shocked to see this thread,well yea,i just noticed this after listenin to Yele Nee Etippo - ME!Illaiyaraja copied an ARR song,which was never released in Tamil ( in Audio Cds ),but the movie had the bit,and the movie is Thiruda Thiruda (1993)!Lucky i have the Hindi version,and i can compare nicely before i speak!!

Yele ne Etipo - ME( 0.57 -1.27) = Ailasa - THiruda Thiruda ( 0.12 - 0.37)

or the hindi 1 is Hathi Mere Pyare Sathi - Chor Chor,only a 1.30 mins long song!

the tune too is quite simular,but TT version is te faster tempo & The ME version is a slower tempo!!! Here is the TT/CC version :

http://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZQQBM4MS4KVZ1647H61JGH3XY

download fast!!!

Guess_Me
6th June 2005, 03:20 PM
Amazing find Dinesh. It has a lot of similiarity.

Movies
6th June 2005, 03:31 PM
Where is Itwofs Karthik?

I think hes the expert on these sortta things.

teja
6th June 2005, 08:23 PM
Better luck next time guys.

dinesh2002
6th June 2005, 08:30 PM
Better luck next time guys.

truth does hurt no?? :lol: :wink:

Sanjeevi
7th June 2005, 12:21 AM
ARR was copied tune from IR

That song is 'Vandi Maadu Etti Vachu'. It is a stright copy from an IR's song, 'Ramara Ninaikkum Anumaru' which is not picturised from Aranmanai Kili.

njv
7th June 2005, 01:15 AM
I never intend to come to ARR forum, but since it had a shocking headlines, I clicked the URL to see whats happening.

I dont think neither of them need to really copy each other. My personal opinion is that they both scored this music with out realizing that some one else must have dont it early.

Like IR himself mentioned in so many interviews, music is like "siththu velai" so every body tries to sound different with in the 7 notes.

If either IR or ARR inspired to take this tune from Vandi Maadu Etti Vachu (when I see this lyric, I remember "Kattaalam Kaattu Vazhi, kalli pattu rottu vazhi" song from Kizakku Cheepmaiyilae, one my favorite ARR song) there is nothing wrong also. What you dont want to see from these two genius is an absolute rip off from another song.

Movies
7th June 2005, 02:30 AM
IR fans I see your dissapointment!

But dont come with baseless alegations such as sanjeevi, that just shows the lack of white matter! Post the links and let us decide!

Now did IR copy from ARR for ME?

Scale
7th June 2005, 10:29 AM
IR fans I see your dissapointment!

But dont come with baseless alegations such as sanjeevi, that just shows the lack of white matter! Post the links and let us decide!

Now did IR copy from ARR for ME?

Dinesh! Vera Velaiye illaya ungalukku. ARR Clones (partly/full) onnu vidamatreenga. Kadaisiyula IR va :o

As njv rightly said (welcome njv!), we need to find a complete rip off from the songs of any MD. This might be a mere co-incidence and there is no necessity for IR to copy from ARR for that 30 secs. Also noone can conceal the similarities too.

(Else) Definetly YSR/KR would have assisted IR when the latter was sleeping :lol: ...

I really liked ME songs: KKM & YNE. Still cant stop humming and laughing :rotfl: . Thats far better attempt from IR and due credits to KH too.

btw, what is the necessity for IR & KH to rehash VM :( :( :( ?.

krish244
7th June 2005, 11:13 AM
Just heard the bit. I dont think its a copy.

thanks,

Krishnan

united07
7th June 2005, 11:59 AM
S,

Wats with ARR, IR, KR, YSR, ME, KKM, YNE, KH, VM!!!!
ivvalo abbr padicha yennathukke avarathu nange yellam!...

anyway.....i dun think it's similar the pattern may looks similar...but not the octaves! (wow.....i dun really know wat are the terms...but from a layman who can make up jargons..this is wat i can say)...

IR vs ARR copy naa....
i was really surprised to see the IR's Hey Ram's title songs beat is the exact copy of Ratchagan BGM when the villain pushes (thats rite..he pushes with his bare hands) a whole truck load of cars into the ocean in the beginning of the movie!....

Scale
7th June 2005, 12:36 PM
S,

Wats with ARR, IR, KR, YSR, ME, KKM, YNE, KH, VM!!!!
ivvalo abbr padicha yennathukke avarathu nange yellam!...

anyway.....i dun think it's similar the pattern may looks similar...but not the octaves! (wow.....i dun really know wat are the terms...but from a layman who can make up jargons..this is wat i can say)...

How come you dont understand? U should read the thread from the beginining

Reposting:

Dinesh! Vera Velaiye illaya ungalukku. ARR Clones (partly/full) onnu vidamatreenga. Kadaisiyula IR va

As njv rightly said (welcome njv!), we need to find a complete rip off from the songs of any MD. This might be a mere co-incidence and there is no necessity for IR to copy from ARR for that 30 secs. Also noone can conceal the similarities too.

(Else) Definetly Yuvan Shankar Raja /Karthik Raja would have assisted IR when the latter was sleeping ...

I really liked Mumbai Express songs: Koranghu kayil Mala & Yela Ne Ettipo. Still cant stop humming and laughing . Thats far better attempt from IR and due credits to Kamal Hasan too.

btw, what is the necessity for IR & Kamal Hasan to rehash Vande Mataram ?.

IR vs ARR copy naa....
i was really surprised to see the IR's Hey Ram's title songs beat is the exact copy of Ratchagan BGM when the villain pushes (thats rite..he pushes with his bare hands) a whole truck load of cars into the ocean in the beginning of the movie!....

Can anyone upload this piece???

dinesh2002
7th June 2005, 12:43 PM
machan,the simularity is so obvious...wonder y u guys r denying it...is it just becoz its IR ??? ....anywayz...if tahts the case u guys want... " IR didint Copy ARR " coz "IR NEVER COPIES!!" :roll:

united07
7th June 2005, 01:11 PM
dinesh mama,
(ninge yenna machannu kuppitta naan ungalai maama-nu thaane kuppidanum)

it sounds similar...but not the same mama...

njv,
chumma kindal adichen pa,
kpt, yyp. a s k t p k y t!

(kove pada tinge, yennakuYellampuriyathu. abbr school-le kamala teacher padichi kuduturukange yengalakku teriyumma!)

Scale
7th June 2005, 02:14 PM
machan,the simularity is so obvious...wonder y u guys r denying it...is it just becoz its IR ??? ....anywayz...if tahts the case u guys want... " IR didint Copy ARR " coz "IR NEVER COPIES!!" :roll:

Dinesh! Who said IR never copied?? I didnt mean that. What I was pointing out is ARR too inspired from the commercial loops and he has used those in his compositions. Those were not illegal. If someone says those were copies, i will simply :lol: at their ignorance and their real intentions. If you can find any blatant lift of IR from ARR then it is called plagiarism.

Keep up the good work irrespective of the MD's biased.

Check! http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-ir.html

SOME OF THE IR'S EARLIER INSPIRATIONS. I was wondering , how IR's situation would be if there were internet (1980's), NRI's and forums like this to identify the source from his so called master pieces. IR knows better...

ARR has comeout of all these allegations that he is one among the original composers available in the current industry.

stone cold
7th June 2005, 07:45 PM
the startin 50sec reminds me of thirunelveli halwa 34-46 sec.

dinesh2002
7th June 2005, 07:48 PM
Machan & Scale..wokay...i just posted this coz i couldnt get it off my mind...its up to u whether to accpe it or not rite...i cant force u ...wokay mamses....babye! 8)

Sanjeevi
9th June 2005, 12:46 AM
The list of ARR copied / inspired songs

http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-arr.html

MADDY
9th June 2005, 07:52 AM
Arrey Baap re........all tunes are originallnu sollitanga sanjeevi andha sitela........ippa enna pannaporinga???? :D ......see using same s/w loop is not at all a problem.....it is like using same VB scroll bar button in one page and in different pages...u cant say that he copied my scroll bar style........

dinesh2002
9th June 2005, 09:23 AM
Maddy....super machan.....its true....all the copied list had this line :

1.But the actual tune of the song remains original
2.However, the tune of the song remains original.
3.Tune original!
4.Tune original!
5.Actual song's tune original.
6.As usual the tune remains very original.
7.As usual the tune remains very original

Sanjeev,here,this is for u!!!

http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-ir.html :P

MADDY
9th June 2005, 06:08 PM
i have couple of IR's inspirations as well.....Maasi masam aalana ponnu(Dharmathin thalaivan)- beauty song but direct lift of starting tune - Accha nahin sanam from Anaokhi ada by RDB.......

Keladi kanmani from keladi kanmani is blatantly similar to so gaya ye jahan from tezaab by LP.......
IR is after all not a Raaga devan, he is a mortal who has flesh and blood and a brain which has other guys' tunes running as well.......

Sanjeevi
9th June 2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Dinesh ,

Only one song has 'ditto replica', all the others has only have 'inspired' or 'partially inspired'

It is a exchange from Kalyanji Anandji and IR.

Kalyanji Anandji gives Kanavu kannum song to IR, IR gives Ilaiya nila song to Kalyanji Anandji.

Hi Hi

:lol:

Eppavumae IR ku aduthuthan ARR

Sanjeevi
9th June 2005, 07:38 PM
I agree ARR is a phenominan.

My favorite MDs are

IR, ARR, YSR

8)

tvsankar
10th June 2005, 01:07 PM
Unga ARR madhiri varuma enna? Avar songaiyae avarae lot of time thandhudae irukarae? Yen IR ai pathi kavalai padreengae? Dont worry!!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

dinesh2002
10th June 2005, 02:47 PM
Unga ARR madhiri varuma enna? Avar songaiyae avarae lot of time thandhudae irukarae? Yen IR ai pathi kavalai padreengae? Dont worry!!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

ore oru chinna doubt'e......neenge entha language type paningo??? :?

A.ANAND
12th June 2005, 06:49 PM
usha kutty nalla thanni potturukkupola!!!!!?????

njv
12th June 2005, 08:59 PM
Anand dont call "usha kutty" since you never know who she is and what she is. She may be much older than you or a doctor or some one who needs to be respected by the society. I did the same thing here in the same TFM forum and when I get to know that the person is a doctor, I could feel nothing but shame. Please Please dont take my word offensively.

A.ANAND
13th June 2005, 09:14 AM
njv,polachi pongga!!!!

thumburu
13th June 2005, 01:41 PM
Abatha, Araivekkaadu Anand, you lack decency and class. It would be too much to even expect an apology from delinquents like you.

Arjuna
13th June 2005, 01:54 PM
http://www.dinamani.com/Cinema/CineItems.asp?ID=DNC20050612150426&Title=Cinema+%2D+News&lTitle=%F9Nn%A7Ls

ARR says "MSV, Ramamurthy, IR and TSM are all universities. There is not a single achievement that is not been done by them. When SJ Surya wanted me to remix the 'thotal poo malarum' from the song padakoti, I accepted it reluctantly since I was scared. I also gave a new tune for it. I was scared thinking what MSV wuld say after listening to the song. But in one function, MSV hugged me and said the tune was amazing."

I guess this wuld stop everyone shouting at ARR

A.ANAND
13th June 2005, 02:09 PM
dei thumburu,amandaa naan aravekkadu,nee usipona natta karuvadu!!

dinesh2002
13th June 2005, 07:59 PM
awwwwwwwwww :lol:

No Studio Raja
Behindwoods
June 13, 2005

Music directors like A.R. Rahman, Harris Jayaraj and Vidyasagar have their own recording studios. Srikanth Deva is building one right now. Yuvan Shankar Raja is planning to set up his own studio with the latest equipment. However, the maestro Ilayaraja did not have his own studio even during his peak nor does he have one right now for commercial purposes. All his superhit songs were recorded only at Prasad Studios.

http://www.behindwoods.com/News/13-6-05/raja.html

sivakumar99
5th July 2005, 03:37 PM
some samples ARR LIFT from other compostions
Hello Mr. ethirkatchi [Film: Iruvar]
The opening piano part definitely inspired. Source: Dave Grusin's Memphis Stomp, from the OST of The Firm, released in 1993.
Listen to Hello Mr. Ethirkatchi | Memphis Stomp
Genuine copy wrt the piano intro sequence. But the actual tune of the song remains original.

2 Kuluvalile [Film: Muthu]
The background rythm and beats inspired from the song 'rescue me' by Fontella Bass. The song was part of the OST of the film 'Sister Act', released in 1965.
Listen to Kuluvalile | Rescue me
The rythm has been used. However, the tune of the song remains original.

3 Akkadannu naanga [Film: Indian]
Again, the background beats are inspired. Source: Paul Young's 'Love of common people', from the album 'No Parlez', released in 1983.
Listen to Akkadannu | Love of common people
Oh sure, the beats are copied. Tune original!

4 Anbae anbae [Film: Jeans]
The opening sequence seems inspired from Peter Gabriel's 'Of these, hope...' from the album 'Passion: Music from the last temptation of Christ'.
Listen to anbae anbae | Of these, hope
Is A R Rahman a fan of Peter Gabriel? Tune is original!

5 Shakalaka Baby [Film: Mudhalvan]
The rhythm loop with an underground feel is also found in the track 'Flight IC 408' by State of Bengal and the track 'Aint talkin bout dub' by Apollo 440.
Listen to Shakalaka Baby | Flight IC 408 | Aint talkin bout dub
Possibly a commercially available loop, done with some improvisations by Rahman. The loop appears almost throughout the Apollo 440 track and at places in Flight IC 408. Actual song's tune original.

6 Thillana thillana [Film: Muthu]
The opening African female humming is ripped off from Deep Forests 'Night Bird'.
Listen to Thillana thillana | Night bird
Oh sure, ripped. Just that initial humming part. But if Deep Forest can rip off native African sounds....!

7 Poopookkum osai [Film: Minsara Kanavu]
The beats seem inspired from Lebo M's 'Rhythm of pride lands: Kube', which was last part of the Disney's Greatest Pop hits collection.
Listen to Poopookkum osai | Rhythm of pride lands: Kube
The beats are sure inspired. As usual the tune remains very original.

8 Thenmerku paruvakkaatru [Film: Karuthamma]
The beats are similar to a track by Dr Alban, 'Om we rembwe ike'. Note that Dr Alban himself uses a lot of commercially available loops and CDs to create songs!
Listen to Thenmerku paruvakaatru | Om we rembwe ike
The beats are sure inspired. As usual the tune remains very original. The 'yei nee romba azhaga irukke' song, 'Poi sollalaam' uses similar beats!

9 Paarkadhey [Film: Gentleman]
Alleged to be inspired from the Osibisa number 'Kelele'
Listen to Paarkadhey | Kelele
You decide!

10 Ekamevadhvitheeyam - Theme music from Baba [Film: Baba]
Inspired from the the background music of The Untouchables (1987).
Listen to Ekamevadhvitheeyam | Al Capone (The Untouchables)
'Ekamevadhvitheeyam' means "there is only one paramatma, no second entity". This song opens almost exactly like the prominent score from the cult classic 'The Untouchables' with music by Ennio Morricone. Why Rahman chose to lift this so blatantly really beats me, even if figures in Baba for a few fleeting seconds! In the soundtrack of The Untouchables, this tune plays almost throughout the movie, more so for the softer/sadder moments! I'm adding the track called 'Al Capone' which probably brings out the copy best, in my opinion! Tip: Play the Baba number in full volume, the opening plays in very low volume!

dinesh2002
5th July 2005, 04:16 PM
sivakumar99,here is a list for IR's lift from other md's!

1 Kanavu kaanum [Film: Neengal Kettavai] <TC>
Ditto replica of the song 'kasme vaade' from the movie Upkaar. Music by Kalyanji Anandji!
Listen to Kanavu kaanum | Kasme vaade
Its my duty to add that a talk that KA and IR exchanged songs (IR had supposedly 'given' the song 'Ilaya nila' to KA!) has been doing the rounds for quite some time.

2 Theme from Mouna Raagam [Film: Mouna Raagam]
Inspired from the theme of the film Flash Dance by Giorgio Moroder.
Listen to Mouna Raagam BGM | Flash Dance
Inspired! No direct lift but a very beautiful adaptation of the Flash Dance theme. 'Adaptation' would be the best word to describe this. But you sure can find out traces which confirms IR listening to the Flash Dance theme for inspiration.

3 Chittu kuruvi [Film: Chinna Veedu] <TC>
Inspired from Antonin Dvorak's Symphony 9 - New World. The actual track is Sym No. 9 in e, Op. 95: Scherzo: Molto Vivace.
Listen to Chittu kuruvi | Antonin Dvorak's Symphony 9 (The beginning of the Tamil song can be distinctly heard in this clip. Make sure you have your speaker volumes in max, it starts with a very low volume)
An exceptionally beautiful case of genuine inspiration. This is how a composer of repute gets inspired for his compositions. This can never ever be called plagiarism. Such instances are really rare and probably more common if we dig deep into Ilayaraja's compositions! Truly, a masterpiece!

4 Kan malargalin [Film: Thaippongal]
Inspired from ABBA's Money money money

Just the beginning of the song.

5 Darling darling darling [Film: Priya]
Inspired from Boney M's number, Sunny

Again, just the beginning.

6 Entha poovilum vaasam [Film: Murattukkaalai]
Inspired from Antonio Ruiz-Pipo's 'Cancione et Danza: 2. Danza'.
Listen to Entha poovilum vaasam undu | Cancion et Danza: 2. Danza
The opening portion is surely inspired. But a typical Ilayaraja-like intricate work!

7 Ada veetukku veetukku [Film: Kizhakku Vaasal]
Inspired from Mozart's 25th symphony, 1st movement.

Good case of inspiration. Surely cannot call it copying. This is the signature tune of Titan watch advts on TV, composed by none other than A R Rahman!

8 Poottukkal pottaalum [Film: Chatriyan] <TC>
Inspired from the song 'My favorite things' from the all time classic Sound of Music!

Again, good case of inspiration.

9 Theeyani [Film: Nireekshana] <TC>
Inspired by The Sound of Music number 'My favorite things'!
Listen to Theeyani | My favorite things
Inspired!

10 Chittukku chella chittukku [Film: Nallavanukku Nallavan] <TC>
Possibly inspired by Rimsky-Korsakov's 'The Tale Of The Kalendar Prince', from his 1888 work by name 'Scheherazade'.
Listen to Chittukku chella chittukku | Tale of Kalendar Prince
Given Ilayaraja's love for Western Classical music, it sounds plausible...also taking into account his past inspirations from the likes of Antonin Dvorak! Nikolai Andreevich Rimsky-Korsakov is one of the leading 19th century Russian nationalist composers. 'Scheherazade' was written almost towards the end of Rimsky's career and life...as he put it himself in his memoirs, it "closes a period of my work, at the end of which my orchestration had attained a considerable degree of virtuosity and warm sonority"

11 Kaadhal Vandhiruchu [Film: Kalyanaraman (1979)]
A prominent portion partly inspired by the song 'Lady in Black' by the rock band Uriah Heep!
Listen to Kaadhal Vandhiruchu | Lady in Black
Lady in Black was part of Uriah Heep's 1970 album, 'Salisbury'.

12 Akkarai seemai azhaginiley [Film: Priya (1978)] <TC>
The opening is inspired by the 1967 British single 'Kites' by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound.
Listen to Akkarai seemai | Kites
When I say opening, I mean the first 2 lines of both the songs sound DITTO! And coming from a composer of Ilayaraja's stature, this is quite a shocker!

sivakumar99
5th July 2005, 07:02 PM
hi dinesh,
you can see the lifts and insipriations between them. THERE IS DIFFERNCE BETWEEN INSIPRATION AND LIFTS.

i just stated for sample as you guys started comparing raja nad arr

never comapre them.

ARR - A GREAT SOUND ENGINEER

IR - A GREAT COMPOSER

dinesh2002
5th July 2005, 07:17 PM
machan,see the inspires listed by ITWOS there...all the tracks has TUNE REMAINS ORIGINAL..while 2 tracks only in the list of inspires....so i think ARR deserves the BEST COMPOSER there!

MADDY
5th July 2005, 10:36 PM
-deleted-

sivakumar99
6th July 2005, 09:29 AM
by the words of expression itself we can see the type of people admired to the music.

thanks for proving again.

u guys enjoy the forum.

unmai cilla neeram sudum

dinesh2002
6th July 2005, 11:29 AM
unmai cilla neeram sudum

soi gues thats why ur here,the thread " Illaiyaraja Copied ARR " actually sudde u...i know...i understand very much...truth does hurt...btw...dont bother on what we like & who likes ARR music...1st go & take good care of u...

sivakumar99
6th July 2005, 12:00 PM
SO MANY FORMS WE HAVE TO WEAR
SO MANY LIVES WE HAVE TO BEAR.

THIS IS ONE OF THE FORM.

DONT MISTAKE ME

Scale
6th July 2005, 12:09 PM
[quote=sivakumar99]

unmai cilla neeram sudum

sudutha :?: :?: mothalla shower eduthuttu vaanga.

Unga thalamai cheyalagathullernthu niraya peru inga vanthu ithe vedatha palla thadava vothitu poyirukkangha. mmmmmm s***** k***** m****** a******. You better post a mail to the admin of that site and ask what ARR is.

U know what! ARR replies again and again indirectly(his music) that he gets signed for better & more international projects and his albums are selling more than anyone in the industry though his movie flops . Not just commercially, he grabs awards too simulatneously.

If u still need more autheticity check this link & i hope this is an end to evry1 whoever claims ARR copies/inspired.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/arrahmanfans/message/49054

Karthik, you have to distinguish between commercial loops and
plagiarism. With commercial cds, there are no copyrights.. With
loops, even if an album comes out 10 years after the other, one does
not have ownership over the other. Most of your a r r listings are
commercial loops and it shows lack of research on your part. I know
a r r, and I know that even on live shows, he tells artists to
change their "improvisations" if they sound like songs that belong
to others. He is not in the business to copy stuff. And also,
copyrights last only a number of years, and it is possible that
oldie songs can come back as commercial loops.
I know you are entitled to your statements and most of your finds
are truly great, but when it comes to defaming people, we should be
careful.

1 more:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/arrahmanfans/message/51333!

MADDY
6th July 2005, 08:37 PM
i reacted that way bcos i'm really tired of ARR being called a sound engineer......yaenya, appadi enna paavam ARR senjitaru???

sariyaa ARR sound engineerne vechhipom, then y did ur gr8 isaignai,isaidevan,ragadevan,only music composer in the world, doctor,kalaimamani IR called a sound engineer in betn MDs to his thiruvasagam function.......idhukku badhil sollumaiyya........if u have doubts ask IR only......

sivakumar99
7th July 2005, 09:31 AM
unga ellorukum theryium dilip once worked with raja, and been close to the family still now.

clash is always between the fans , not between them.

that is raaja , he dont want to miss out anyone for a great function, so he called all the good tech in there respective fileds

tvsankar
7th July 2005, 10:47 AM
Dear ARR Fans,
Just because Dhinesh told that IR copied ARR will that become true? never. That too by opening and continuing a cheap thread like this. This clearly shows the concern person's mentality.Unnecessarily you are pulling IR's fans and teasing them.
THis shows lower level thoughts of an ARR' fan.But ARR won't do this.If you are a true ARR's FAn please close this thread. Then only the TFM page will look neat.
There are plenty of matters to discuss on ARR music.Pl divert your mind in such discussions That alone will brings proud in you being a ARR's Fan.
THIS IS WHAT WE LEARN AS AN IR'S FAN !!!!!
with Love,
Usha Sankar.

sivakumar99
7th July 2005, 10:57 AM
hi arrfans
sorry for my Interruption in your forum
iam backing off,
if i have used any wrong words ( i think i have not ) excuse me.

bye

jaiganes
7th July 2005, 11:05 AM
dear sivakumar,
I am also IR fan, however cannot accept your statement that ARR is just a sound engineer. He is a gifted composer in his own right. Please do not belittle him, in that process, you bring disrepute to all fans of IR and to IR also. Not that if you write bad things, it is going to stick on him, just that do not belittle yourself in the process. It is a humble request from a fellow IR fan.
Thanks and Cheers

Scale
7th July 2005, 11:57 AM
dear sivakumar,
I am also IR fan, however cannot accept your statement that ARR is just a sound engineer. He is a gifted composer in his own right. Please do not belittle him, in that process, you bring disrepute to all fans of IR and to IR also. Not that if you write bad things, it is going to stick on him, just that do not belittle yourself in the process. It is a humble request from a fellow IR fan.
Thanks and Cheers

Thanks a lot jaiganesh :oops: :clap:. Hope he understands now.

Pls do visit ARR threads regularly and share your opinions too.

MADDY
7th July 2005, 06:58 PM
-deleted-
u know it is ARR fans only who listen to all other MDs songs, i love YSR's song s and HJ's songs, look at dinesh he likes HJ a lot.......take a look at IR fans, 13 varshathilla 5 ARR pattu kaetirupingala??...ARR is still called a sound engineer by IR fans whereas world calls him a mozart like composer....it is always prob with IR fans who want everyone to accept IR as the best....NAANGA OTTHUKAMATTOM.....

poi mudhala, IR-fansa nirutha sollunga naanga niruthorom....(nayagan dialogue illa :lol: )

njv
7th July 2005, 07:09 PM
Guys

please leave this ARR-IR war.

IR fans

ARR fans are correct in lot many ways. They are young, but accept good music. E.g is Arjuna praising TIS. We are probably little older than them, but we are like "Kinattru thavalai", so we dont look at anything outside the box. Music is music, doesnt matter who scored it.

FYI, if ARR is just a sound engineer, then ask Dr BMK, who composed music for few movies and "gave up", because composing is something that require creative thinking.

After IR, it is only ARR who can make us proud, either to be proud that you are a tamilian or to be proud that you are an indian. So please dont throw harsh words agains ARR.

If you still want to bash ARR, atleast please dont do it here. Its like going to an "uninvited" house and yelling at the owner of the house. It wont even take a second for ARR fans to do that in IR forum, which would definitely hurt our feelings too.

Movies
7th July 2005, 10:25 PM
When TFM page was first up, i used to be posting days and nights @ IR vs ARR fights.

Now, Im least bothered to post in these threads.

Reasaon, simple, whats the point? Regardless of what stubborn , so called music fans say, ARR has been waving his magic wand, first in TN, then in Hindi, and then for India, now hes world reknown!

Wasnt this the simple point all ARR fans said rahman will do one day. People trashed him, and obvious reason was they say hes a sound engineer...... well...... Nice to see a sound engineer being adressed as a MOZART!

As someone said IR fns are more likely to have an older average age than arr fans. And you people grew up to his music, something which u thought was impossible to beat, and why would any of you have to change that attitude. Be loya IR fan but dont degrade rahman!

tvsankar
7th July 2005, 10:49 PM
-deleted-

MADDY
7th July 2005, 10:59 PM
-deleted-

njv
8th July 2005, 12:37 AM
Guys

lets forget who copied who. Afterall they are like father-son, guru-shisyan. Listen to this

http://www.danceage.com/media/276-Black-Eyed-Peas-Elephunk.php

Listen to song 11 (The Elephunk Theme). Thanks to UV for posting this in his blog!!!!!

A.ANAND
8th July 2005, 06:51 AM
-deleted-

Movies
8th July 2005, 07:23 AM
NJV,

Wow, what a find!

Im really sure its an IR song........what movies is it?

Nice to know first it was bapi lahrais song now IR....

Cool..

arun
8th July 2005, 08:03 AM
Yes, its an IR song. Its "Unakkum Enakkum" from "Sri Ragavendra". See more details here:

http://itwofs.com/trivia.html

( Trivia #: 17 )

dinesh2002
8th July 2005, 03:22 PM
hey guys....cool...did u know even ARR song was used like this :

by Wyclef Jean,for the album Preacher's Son
song tittle :
Rebel Music

http://www.smokecds.com/mp3/129716.mp3

many might not recognize this song,its Kya Dakhe Rahen - Taal,anc additional track for the DVD video..also included in the audio CD but not in cassettes....

karthik_sa2
22nd September 2005, 12:05 AM
[tscii:5265bfaba4]NAUSHAD ALI (doyen of hindi film music, India)- That this man has achieved is 100 times more than what any of us have achieved; only time can tell the quantum of his achievements.

HARIPRASAD CHAURASIA, (exponent of Hindustani Classical Music, India) - It is a treat watching him (Mr.Ilaiyaraja) work - he does everything, composing, arrangement of instruments, orchestration and conducting - that too without the help of any assistants and a stopwatch.

L.SUBRAMANIAM (Violin Maestro, India)- Ilaiyaraja is as good as any composer in the world.

ZUBIN MEHTA (Music Conductor, Israel Philharmonic) - I was bewildered after listening to his 'nothing but wind' and 'how to name it'. He belongs to the 21st century and perhaps beyond.

SHERYAR OOKERJEE ( a Mumbai based musicologist, India) - Bach's influence is deep and all pervasive in his music. He is adept at using conventional western harmony and standard western techniques. Uses dialogue and imitation extensively. He has a competent grasp of the orchestra. His conspicuous quality is his ability to so integrate the Indian and western idioms that the seams can hardly be noticed and the result is usually pleasant, charming and satisfying. Ilaiyaraja's music is enjoyable and worth taking very seriously. It grows on one with repeated hearings.

MASSIMO SIMONINI (Composer & Founder of ANGELICA forum, Italy) - The music of ilaiyaraaja, besides containing many forms, is a good object of reflections and meditations on the form, on its consume, for an eventual, possible expansion. It shows models & rare formulae, unthinkable for the western music song world or western cinema. His film songs feature a metrics that is strictly linked to the images, to the atmospheres of the movie, while the movie itself appears to be composed by a myriad of narrative video clips, which in turn give the song an opening towards other musical forms - A moving open form, that is strictly linked to the inspiration of the moment, ready to welcome anything in a surprising structure, enriched by a, still so strong, indian tradition, where rhythm, melody, devotion and surprise travel together. These entities are seen moving in places where style and form can be continually re-discussed, while still following a logic, a narration. Itıs almost like a kaleidoscopic song, full of rules, but also rich in expressive possibilities...keeps moving...truly vedic .

MARK LAYCOCK (Director of Orchestral Activities, Iowa State University, Iowa, United States of America) - A fascinating blend of Eastern and Western styles. The music is instantly appealing -- rhythmically, harmonically, formally. The use of traditional Indian instruments in a modern musical context makes for a rich palette of tone colors and creates a wide range of expressive possibilities.

RICHARD KING (Sound Engineer of Thiruvasagam in Symphony, Winner of 5 Grammy awards) - Even his thoughts are musical. Ilaiyaraaja is the musical face of India, which the western world is really stunned at !!!

LARY BAIN( Composer, England) - He is unbelievable, genius and fantastic.

JOSEPH EAGER (Conductor, World Symphony Orchestra, USA) - His music will be heard through the twenty-first century" [predicted during the release function of "Nothing But Wind" CD in New York in 1988].

VICTOR RANGEL RIBEIRO ( musicologist and author of Baroque Music, USA) - Your ears will hear music like they never heard before.

STEPHEN DAVIS (of New Age, USA) - He is leading us to a very special world of music appreciation and has opened doors of new horizons of new age music.

LASLOV KOVACH (Conductor, Budapest Symphony Orchestra, Hungary) - He is Hollywood Kind. A very special composer. It seems he does not have to think at all to create music. Music just flows out. The feeling that you experience, while you listen to his compositions, is often quite inexplicable. It is unfortunate that the world is yet to recognize this composer. It is not a loss for Him, but it is, to the music world.

DAVID KERMAN (ReR-USA, Music Distributor, North America) - We are big fans of the Maestro, and are proud to be the exclusive North American importer of the WINGS CD. ReR USA holds no allegiance to any particular style or genre of music, rather we only care about excellence. That's why we're so thrilled to have ilaiyaraaja !!.

[More from ReRmegacorp website - What makes Ilaiyaraaja so universal is his cheerful adoption of much of the world's music and its instruments while remaining focused on the needs of song and the language of popular film; what makes him so addictive is his extraordinary sense of arrangement and instrumentation. Everything is detail with a small surprise lurking around every corner. This is work of painstaking subtlety, wrapped in simple forms - and luminous undemonstrative musicianship - the kind of work that grows with every listening and depends on its inner qualities and not on shock, dissidence or effect. These are perfectly crafted songs with mysterious arrangements and a catalogue of rhythms that are never as simple as they seem. A gem.!]

SUDHA RAGUNATHAN (Eminent Carnatic Vocalist, India )-Yesterday, today or tommorrow, ilaiyaraja will remain the unquestionable emperor of music.

SRI JAYENDRA SARASWATHI SWAMIGAL (Spiritual Guru, India) - Ilaiyaraja has plans to bring about good changes in the society, through his music. His music is capable of putting the mind at peace and serenity.

SEMANGUDI SRINIVASA AYYAR (Eminent Carnatic Vocalist, India) - Raja has that unique gift to please common man and carnatic experts alike.Until recently, I knew that Shri Ilaiyaraja is a great film music director - his expertise in diluting Carnatic Ragas without diluting their native merits, is well known to me - but recently I had the oppurtunity to listen to him sing a few kirthanas. He sang a kirthana in Raag Abhogi - very well rendered - in Carnatic Sangeet, one needs to know the Sahityam - without knowing it, one should not sing it making it sound absurd - Isai gyani Shri.Ilayaraaja sang it very beautifully and his grasp of the Sahityam is commendable. After today, I realise that Shri.Ilayaraaja is a thorough expert in Carnatic music. May the God Almighty bless Isai Gyani with a long life so that he can render a long service to music.

LALGUDI JAYARAMAN (Eminent Musician, India) - His talent is not the fruit of one single birth's efforts. This level of achievement is only possible to one who has lived with music for countless births. The speed with which he writes notations have always baffled me.

Dr.BALAMURALIKRISHNA (Eminent Carnatic Vocalist, India)- As far as i am concerned, i would say Ilaiyaraja is the composer of the century. If there is one single authority on 'orchestration', it can only be ilaiyaraja.

KAMALHAASAN (Noted Actor, Film Maker, India) - Ilaiyaraja should be honored as Isai Vigyani (musical scientist) rather than Isai gyani.He has explored and analyzed virtually every type of music.I have worked with several composers. But this man is on his own trip - he is a colossal talent. We have worked together in around 70 films and we know each other's requirements and expectations very well. He saw the rushes of the film (Hey Ram!) just once and immediately decided the music to be scored for the song sequences that have already been picturised. I told my film crew to give me a week's time and that I will come back with one song in that time - instead I came back with seven songs.

HARIHARAN ( Playback Singer, India) - "Poongaatre konjam" from the film "Friends", is my favourite, of all the tamil film songs. Ilaiyaraja's style is very different, though he has been heavily influenced by the classical compositions of Mozart and Bach.

CHANDRAHASAN ( Film Producer, India) - His music is precious. Mere dishing out of money wont get you such quality music.

MALAYSIA VASUDEVAN (Veteran Playback Singer, South India) - I would say I consider it a real privilege to have lived in this era of ilaiyaraja. I am grateful to almighty to have received the opportunity to sing for him.

A.R.REHMAN ( Music Composer, India) - He is a genius by himself and is completely self-contained. He disproved me of the commonly held wrong notion that a music maker has to drink, smoke & have other bad habits in order to create inspirational music. If i am religious today, the credit goes to ilaiyaraja. I learnt it from him.

KARTHIK RAJA ( Music Composer, India) - He has composed in so many idioms, his work spans such a wide spectrum that there will always some resemblance to something he has already done.

YUVAN SHANKAR RAJA ( Music Composer, India) - I consider it a honour to be living in the shadow of a living legend like him. I am proud to say he is my father. No wonder people expect a lot from me too.

UTTAM SINGH (Music Composer, India) - Ilaiyaraaja is perhaps the only complete music composer in India.

SUHASINI MANIRATNAM (Eminent Actress, India) - Show me a composition matching legendary compositions like 'shenbagame shenbagame' & 'panivizhum malar vanam' by ilaiyaraja. Only then can you talk of someone overtaking him.

THANGAR BACHAAN (Cinematographer, Film Maker, India) - Once I finish shooting my film, i just place it before ilaiyaraja, and from there on whatever he delivers is music. I dont need to worry about it anymore. I shudder to even think about Indian film music without ilaiyaraaja. We are just feeding food for merely 5% of his total capacity. To be frank, it is a sin to restrict this talent inside the parameters of film music. He does everything. He has the ability to correct your mistakes that you did in direction, dialogue delivery, emoting, lighting, continuity etc through his background music.

R.V.UDAIYAKUMAR (Noted Film Maker, India) - He can even correct your directorial flaws, with his background score music.

PARTHIBAN (Noted Film Maker, Actor, India) - Music alias ilaiyaraja, ilaiyaraja alias Music.

MIRCHI SHIVA (RJ, Radio Mirchi, India) - It is pure bliss to just listen to his songs. But even better than that, as a lucky RJ, i also get to play his songs for everyone to listen. That gives immense satisfaction to me. So stay tuned !!

VAMSY (Noted Film Maker, India) - While picturizing a song, iIaiyaraja's tunes inspire me more than the characters of the film themselves.

BHARATHIRAAJA (Noted Film Maker, India) - I shoot scenes with a particular impact in mind. And even before i discuss about what i have in mind, he is already ready with mind boggling BGM bits.

MANIRATNAM (Noted Film Maker, India) - Ilaiyaraja is absolutely prolific. He is an amazing talent who believes that the music written down by him should be stuck to totally. And then it is recorded which is just a matter of execution. I wish I could be like Ilaiyaraja and work out everything on paper.

VENKATESH (Noted Actor, South India) - Ilaiyaraja is forever !!!...According to me he is the personification of evergreen music .

SADHANA SARGAM (Eminent Singer, India) - Its purely a learning experience to work with this legendary composer. Talking with him, you can learn so much. While i work with him, i just have to merely follow his instructions, and everything else is taken care of.

BHARANI (Music Composer, South India) - When you listen to his songs, you feel as if you were in a trance. Especially, the song," Kaatril Endhan Geedham" from film Johny. Listening to his music is by itself a meditation to me.

MANI SHARMA (Music Composer, South India) - He is my idol & my personal guru. It is his music that created the urge in me to take up music as my career. I especially was enchanted by songs like "Ennadi Meenakshi" when i was young.

CHITRA (Eminent Singer, India) - I owe a lot to maestro ilaiyaraja and I will ever remain grateful to him. He is the main reason for whatever i have achieved as a singer thus far in my career.

KARTHIK ( Budding Singer, India) - Working with him, you are introduced to a totally different plane of music making. His style is a very unique. I consider myself very lucky to have worked with him.

BALUMAHENDRA (Eminent Film Director, India) - If a situation arised wherein ilaiyaraaja decides to quit film music, i would as well quit making films. We both have worked so long with each other now that i dont need to explain him in great details abt my expectations. He knows what music i would want, and i create situations which he will love to make music for.

ANURADHA KRISHNAMURTHY (Carnatic Vocalist / TV star, South India) - Ilaiyaraaja is my favourite musician. He has that unmatched talent to maintain a particular raga till the very end of the song. The essence & soul of the raga is well maintained throughout

GUITAR PRASANNA (Eminent Guitarist, India) - While many music creators today are busy looking for new music softwares, ilaiyaraja is the only one who dealt with the length & breadth of classical music (carnatic & western). I have virtually grown up with his music

A.V.RAMANAN (SInger, South India) - He has the potential to compose songs that convey even the subtlest of subtle feelings ...Chinna thaayaval from Thalabadhi is one such song

VAIRAMUTHU (Eminent Lyricist, South India) - His music has made me laugh, his music has made me cry. It has made me very sad one moment & made me as happy a child other moment. In summary, his music is special to me, like it is to million others.

MAHALAKSHMI IYER (Playback Singer, India) - Given the genius that this man is, there is so much worth in what he says & what he does.

MEERA JASMIN (Actress, South India)- He is my favourite music director. His music is soulful & touches you instantly. I remember most of his songs by heart. Give me ilaiyaraja's compositions anytime

BHARADHWAJ (Music Composer, India) - He is the master of background music. I watch films that has ilaiyaraja as the music director, just for his background scores. "Thalapathi" is one such movie, which i have watched umpteen times just for his BGMs.

SARATH KUMAR (Actor, South India) - If there is a music director who can make even an ordinary movie into a blockbuster, it has to be ilaiyaraja. His score can lift the plane of even mediocre films several notches up.

K.S. RAVIKUMAR (Director, South India) - ilaiyaraja, the person is 60 years old, but his music is not bound by time.

MAHATHI (Budding Singer, India) - I have been a crazy fan of ilaiyaraaja right from my childhood days. I was delighted beyond words, when i got the opportunity to sing my very first song in his music. It was a dream come true for me.

MIRCHI SUCHITRA (RJ, Radio Mirchi & Budding Singer, India) - I think it would be shallow to call Ilayaraja a 'music director'. if there is a word to describe someone who can mould your mind with his music - that word would describe him. With most kinds of music, you listen to it, enjoy it and then forget about it. Ilayaraja's music makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you think, calms you down, picks you up...personally, there are so many songs of Raja's that have changed me, calmed me down when i've been in the worst of moods and given me the energy to face the day when i've not wanted to. I cannot imagine life without his music.

DEVI SRI PRASAD (Film Music Director, South India) - He is my God. I have grown up listening to his music. Whatever i am able to compose today, i owe it to this maestro.

SARAN (Film Director, South India) - I would quarrel and fight and turn violent in my college days with my friends who pull my leg by comparing ilaiyaraja with other composers. I love and adore him as my favourite composer.

SUJATHA (Eminent Writer, India) - There are over 50 kalyani raga songs in tamil film music. But still, when you hear "Nirpadhuve Nadapadhuve" from film Bharathi, you cant help feeling that raga Kalyani has taken a new birth once again. With the songs of film Bharathi, he once again proves that a song can be tuned without electronic noise, can be kept very simple and still be a mesmerizing experience to the listener.

L.BALAJI (Budding Cricket Star/Bowler, India) - I love all the melodious compositions of ilaiyaraja sung by S.P.Balasubramaniam and Yesudoss. My all time favourite is 'raja raja chozhan' from 'Rettai Vaal Kuruvi' that i hum frequently.

USHA (Budding Singer, South India) - For any aspiring singer, singing in his music would be a cherished dream and not many get that chance. He is very jovial, a simpleton and unassuming as a person. If you enter his special room in Prasad Labs, and you will be able to feel the current of tranquility pass through your body. He composes without even having to touch the harmonium and is adept in tuning a good carnatic based tune in folk and western formats. He can re-record for a movie in one single day, in one go. He is lightening fast in judging if the singer has indeed sung the song up to his optimal capacity or if there could be any improvements.

JASSIE GIFT (Composer, South India) - For melodious numbers that i compose, maestro ilaiyaraja is the prime inspiration.

HARISH RAGHAVENDRA (Budding Playback Singer, South India) - I am the luckiest of them all (singers). My very first song was written by a genius lyricist (Bharathiyar) and a genius composer (ilaiyaraaja). When ilaiyaraaja sir finally OK'd my song, it made me feel as if i had received a great award. Later when the song became a hit, Raja was caring enough to caution me not to be lethargic, and stressed on the need to work hard.

PAZHANI BHARATHI (Lyricist, South India) - I have special regards for him, amongst all film music composers that i have worked with. His outlook and perspective is entirely different. He always stresses to lyricists that words that we use for songs need to be kept simple and that the song should reach out down to the common man. He emphasizes that even the uneducated man should instantly understand what is being conveyed (in the lyrics & music) and he should be made to think too much. He stresses upon keeping it simple.

USHA UTHUP (Singer, India) - ilaiyaraja is a complete music director who has mastered classical and Western music, and also has a strong base in folk. He provides an unique fusion of all three systems, and is therefore amazing to me.

MADHAN (Noted Cartoonist, Writer, film critic, India ) - As far as i am concerened, Ilaiyaraja is the best bet when it comes to background music. He seems to fully understand as to what the film's situation demands and what impact should his music create in viewer's mind. More often, the usage of silent passages in his background music is more stunning than the music itself, and he creates the right mood every time.

S.P.BALASUBRAHMANYAM (Eminent Singer, Music Director, India) - There wont be another ilaiyaraja. He is par excellence, self taught and a complete composer. Improvising on original compositions of someone like ilaiyaraja has always been a dicey proposition for me. Some of my improvisations / touches get his nod, while in other instances when i go overboard, he would step in with a figurative spank in the ear.

K.J.YESUDASS (Eminent Singer, Carnatic Vocalist, India) - There are infinite music forms hidden in his heart. All that should flow-out for the good of mankind.

VAALI (South Indian Lyricist/Poet, India) - Reethigowlai, Hamsanatham, Bilahari etc are some of the tough carnatic ragas that he has deftly handled for film music. He is not isaignani, he is swaragnani.

RAJKUMAR SANTOSHI (Noted Film Maker, India ) - (on Background music by Maestro Ilaiyaraja for his film Lajja) - The discipline of the 90 musicians, the conductor and the recording engineers of the Budapest Symphony Orchestra in Hungary was overwhelming. The musicians gave a standing ovation after recording the scores written by Ilaiyaraja. [/tscii:5265bfaba4]

A.ANAND
22nd September 2005, 01:15 AM
isaiyai ir than kanndupudicharuinnu solluvinngapola????
evvalavu v.i.p oda ir patthina comment thevaithana????unggalukke 'doubt'agiducha ir genius innu???ada pavigala..

karthik_sa2
22nd September 2005, 11:27 PM
ada anand punaku what i wanted to convey iis a genious of this calibre<IR>wht is the necessity for him to copy from arr.listened to that song from chor chor and its completely differnt from ME.both arr will not copy IRs and IR will not copy ARRs.if they do that and people find ou their reputataion will completely get spoilt.so even if they attempt to copy they will not copy from aech other.my english is not good. hope u got the meaning

karthik_sa2
22nd September 2005, 11:33 PM
IR and ARr are the peak music directors in terms of popularity.so if they copy from each other,it can be easily found out and they know that their reputation will slide down.so they wont do that

A.ANAND
23rd September 2005, 12:06 AM
dei karthik mamuti,ir copy arr topicikkum nee kodutta list
iikum ethavathu sambantham irukka innu mothala paruda.........

karthik_sa2
23rd September 2005, 12:14 AM
i just wanted to make u understand that IR is a genious thru that.so he is not a deva or of that sort to copy from rehman.evalo musical genious ellorum sollumpodhe theriyala avar evalo periya aalu'nu.pls dont start threads like this.this is what i wanted to convey thru that list of what great people said on IR.anyway sorry for calling u punnaku i became a bit emotional on seeing this thread.sorry!!

puyal
25th September 2005, 06:04 AM
Cine music is good for relaxing. That is all. For this, there is no need to go to lengths of dragging unsubstantiated claims. This simply represents the prejudice and totally negative attitude towards a music director the person has, who initiated this thread. This is total absurd. This thread should be closed.

Puyal.....

interz
26th September 2005, 01:48 AM
why do we have to close this thread??? its interesting, no one is holy through out his/her life. everybody makes something others can point out and argue about.

njv
26th September 2005, 03:59 AM
i just wanted to make u understand that IR is a genious thru that.so he is not a deva or of that sort to copy from rehman.evalo musical genious ellorum sollumpodhe theriyala avar evalo periya aalu'nu.pls dont start threads like this.this is what i wanted to convey thru that list of what great people said on IR.anyway sorry for calling u punnaku i became a bit emotional on seeing this thread.sorry!!
Karthik,

this thread was as good as dead after jun 20th until you started posting again.

njv
3rd January 2006, 09:31 AM
I watched Kastoorimaan now and surprised that IR used a tune from Kadhalan in one of the BGM in the movie.

The song he used was "Kadhalikum Pennin " and in that immediately after udit finish killing tamil, spb hums [1:20 to 1:32], the same tune is used later for the words "adaam evaal paadiya paadal kaatril endrum ketkumae" - These 13 seconds came in exact form in one of the BGM (I believe the scene was when sarathbabu come to her house and after returning she will be in joy)

Probably a coincidance or IR recently watched Kadhalan?

kalladicrapp
4th January 2006, 12:07 AM
the only similiarity between chor chor and ME bits are both used music instruments and were recorded in studios.The guy made this discovery has got some serious s**t in his ears.If u dont like the man say it clearly and stop cribbing.

doraip
12th February 2006, 07:41 PM
How can you say the master at music copies people? A.R. Rahman is a total fluke. Maybe A.R. Rahman copied of Ilayaraja. There is no way that this could have happened.

muzammil84
13th February 2006, 06:01 AM
Hahahha Doraip, Inga Ethuvum Nadakaathu, did u see Rahman birthday Special From India Glitz, if not see that kanna first , it's very touching , poi paarunga yaar yaar ellam vanthu pesukirrar enru, World Class Music -pa namma oru ilayaraja maathri kidayathu ( U doraip , i like Ilayaraja too, but u make me tell bad about him )

Don't Know why there is few ANTI - ARR in The Tamil Nadu

i think Doraip u come from Sify.com or Indiafm.com
:lol: