PDA

View Full Version : ARR "The Rising"

Pages : [1] 2

Scale
3rd July 2005, 08:36 PM
[tscii:068aa6194a]

NEXT RELEASE OF ARR " THE RISING" TRACK LIST, MUSIC CREDITS & PROMOS.

http://www1.yashrajfilms.com/homeent/therising_music.htm?therising_music.htm

TRACK LIST (POSSIBLY 2 CD'S IInd CD all BGM's)
1) MANGAL MANGAL (2.29) Kailash Kher
2) MAI VARI VARI (4.51) Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Reena Bharadwaj
3) HOLI RE (4.51) Aamir Khan, Udit Narayan, Madhushree, Srinivas, Chinmaye
4) RASIYA (5.55) Richa Sharma, Bonnie Chakraborty
5) MANGAL MANGAL (AGNI) (2.25) Kailash Kher
6) TAKEY TAKEY (4.31) Sukhwinder Singh, Kailash Kher, Kartick Das
Baul
7) AL MADDATH MAULA (5.55) AR Rahman, Kailash Kher, Murtaza, Kadir
8)MANGAL MANGAL (AATMA) (4.19) Sukhwinder Singh, Kailash Kher

Kaleidoscope Entertainment and INOX Leisure Ltd and TFK Films present a Kaleidoscope Entertainment and
Maya Movies Production “THE RISING”

STARRING: Aamir Khan, Rani Mukerji, Amisha Patel, Toby Stephens
DIRECTED BY: Ketan Mehta
PRODUCED BY: Bobby Bedi & Deepa Sahi
MUSIC: AR Rahman
LYRICS: Javed Akhtar
MUSIC ON: Yash Raj Music

MUSIC CREDITS
KIDS CHORUS: Raheema, Khatija, Darvesh, Leon, Puja, Vaishnavi
INDIAN RHYTHM: Raja, Neelakantan, Lakshminarayan, Raju, Veda, Kumar, Balan
DILRUBA: Saroja
OUD, KORA: Seenu
CHENNAI STRINGS ORCHESTRA CONDUCTED BY: Srinivas Murthy
ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING: G.V.Prakash, Rafee, H.Sridhar
SOUND ENGINEER: H.Sridhar, S.Sivakumar
ASSISTANT SOUND ENGINEER: Aditya Modi
RECORDED & MIXED AT: Panchathan Record-Inn, Shafee Studio Five, Chennai. Sahara Sound, London.

Check the promo in EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK. [/tscii:068aa6194a]

Movies
3rd July 2005, 09:24 PM
I dont think audio willl release till the end of this month.

The site mentions pre orders of audio will be sent by the end of july. So probably first week of august is my guess.

Is Khadeeja Rahmans duaghter?

Scale
3rd July 2005, 10:13 PM
I dont think audio willl release till the end of this month.

The site mentions pre orders of audio will be sent by the end of july. So probably first week of august is my guess.

Is Khadeeja Rahmans duaghter?

Yeah! Both Khatija (eldest), Raheema are Rahman Daughters. And the youngest one is Roomi :oops: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.R._Rahman

ARR replied b4 in an interview whether his childrens listen to his music, that his eldest daughter is asking him to play Airtel tune repeatedly.

"The Rising" Audio is releasing on Jul 12th from known sources of Yash Raj Music team. Have to wait.

It will be grand that if Rising & Aa Aah both releases in july itself. B/Kwood will certainly rock. :roll:

Movies
4th July 2005, 03:19 AM
I desperately want Rising to be a massive hit like Lagaan. Rahman needs to show once again the hidi walas what south Indias made of.

And at home he needs to Make a BIGGER HIT with A Ah.....

With great regret i feel the papers have started indirectly mention rahman is loosing his grip, which can only be redeemed by Classic Rahman type reply ie Global HIT ALBUM!

MADDY
4th July 2005, 07:22 AM
Movies its not just papers but even many of ARR fans also feel he is losing his grip over TFM/HFM.......i feel, he has given lots of room to these guys VS,HJ,YSR......now, will he be able to regain the lost ground with these guys is a million dollar question :?: :?:

Aamir khan has sung a song??? :lol: .......i think he gets inspired by rani mukherji......he always sings while acting with her......

Scale
4th July 2005, 11:36 AM
Movies its not just papers but even many of ARR fans also feel he is losing his grip over TFM/HFM.......i feel, he has given lots of room to these guys VS,HJ,YSR......now, will he be able to regain the lost ground with these guys is a million dollar question :?: :?:

Aamir khan has sung a song??? :lol: .......i think he gets inspired by rani mukherji......he always sings while acting with her......

Honestly speaking! I dont feel any difference that he has lost his grip & the only thing i miss terribly is VM's soulful lyrics. Javed Aktar is also too good in Hindi & his combo with ARR have occured after a long time though ARR was working with Gulzar too. It is unrealistic to expect ARR to be the king of every part of the film industry if he is too busy in composing hindi, tamil & international albums. We should be glad enough that we are still discussing so much & miss ARR though there were no tamil albums for the past 1 year. Imagine whats if any other current MD havent given anything for the past 1 year.

Rising is also expected to be a similar classy film as Lagaan. Having lots of faith in Aamir, Ketan Mehta & ARR for The Rising to be one of the biggest blockbuster in Indian Cinema.

Guys! Sorry for the digression,

Maddy! Aamir's has done only 1 film "Ghulam -aati kya" w Rani. Now Rising & the next 1 is Mr & Mrs. Singh Under production. Actually Aishwariya was booked for Rising & Rani replaced upon her refusal. If u notice rising song Udit narayan, Srinivas, madhushree & chinmayi has also sung. 4.51m Very less scope to express his inspiration & that too in ARR's songs. Unfeasible!

Too early to comment that he always sings while acting with her. Pls dont get misconstrued.

Jacky
4th July 2005, 12:48 PM
Aishwarya was booked for Amisha's role but she didn't wanna play a widow.

MADDY
4th July 2005, 10:38 PM
"Too early to comment that he always sings while acting with her. Pls dont get misconstrued."

Agreed scale sir :D ........i thought kaali nagin song in Mann where rani has a special appearance was also sung by him....it was not......it was song by udit only......

Movies
5th July 2005, 01:13 AM
Any prediction guys onl pick of the album, album as a whole, fate of the movie, acting.......

alias
6th July 2005, 01:45 AM
Watch the promo of Mangal Pandey ala The rising and song Mangala Mangal is excellent. cannt wait for the album... Indiaplaza says it has been released but official site Yashrajfilms.com says end of July.. Anyway worth waiting for this mind blowing album... Wish Bose would have had some good star and music would have reached the masses..but unfortunely not well promoted and big letdown from Shyam benegal....

Scale
6th July 2005, 11:41 AM
Movies & Alias!

a) Managala Mangala is surely going to be situational and the three versions (Intro, Agni & Athma) will really be a treat to watch Aamir on the big screen. (Aamir Shud have worked on his chest :( and biceps like his hair & moustache :thumbsup: ). It symbolizes the stages where Mangal Pandey emerges as a rebellion . Chorus, Enchants, Heavy Percussions.

b) Wow! Kavitha krishnamurthy is back after a long time in ARR albums :clap: . Shud be a Classical song with Reena Bharadwaj.

c) Why have they omitted the english no though script demands :( . I read longback where the actual heroin who casts Aamir is the English girl & not Rani nor Amisha (may be they have changed the script). If Rani is playing a prostitute & amisha a widow roles????

d) Is the kids chorus used in Holi Re Song? :oops:

e) Al Maddath Maula - ARR again :D . Did Mangal pandey seek help from the mughals to fight against British?

f) No Sonu & Udit, Madhushree were not on the lead :clap:. This is one of the interesting ARR ALBUM to note that the singers ARR choosen are KKher (not udit),Kavitha K(not mshree), S Singh, Richa S, & ARR himself can sing at their own style, passion & wont compromise for anything. High pitch comes naturally to all these singers and they can express it realistically very much.

g) Probably there is another CD (2 CD) which has all other instrumentals & BGM's.

As usual, Initially there are going to be worst reviews expected on the release of the album. This album will be better only with the visuals on how ketan mehta picturised it. I am really interested to see what ARR have experimented in this album similar 2 YJDHT (shehnai & chorus). Due to high expectations from Aamir, ARR & the project cost, this album definetly going to top the charts for 2005. What we all need is a biggest blockbuster ever in Indian Cinema & its entry to all international accolades (inc. Oscar) movie wise & musically. ARR should get signed for a Hollywood movie after "The Rising" & "TLOR" or he needs to release an International Musical album.

ALL the best to ARR, Aamir & Ketan M :thumbsup: .

btw, National Award for 2004 will be announced on 13th July 2005. Keep your fingers crossed :arrow: .

Jacky
6th July 2005, 12:25 PM
"This album will be better only with the visuals on how ketan mehta picturised it. "

Certainly not. Aamir knows the pulse of audience very well. Going by Mangal Mangal which is instantly hooking, this audio is going to be a stunner!

Scale
6th July 2005, 12:42 PM
"This album will be better only with the visuals on how ketan mehta picturised it. "

Certainly not. Aamir knows the pulse of audience very well. Going by Mangal Mangal which is instantly hooking, this audio is going to be a stunner!

Jacky! This is what I expect from everyone :oops: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Movies
6th July 2005, 08:52 PM
Scale,

Yeah we all want ARR to expand his horizon into Hollywood.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Rising. I desperately feel the need for a massive rahman hit!

And thanks for the preview Scale...:thumbsup:

Arjuna
7th July 2005, 02:15 AM
ARR should get the national award for the best singer in 2004!! for Fanah (AE) and Yeh Jo desh (Swades)

MADDY
7th July 2005, 09:24 AM
ARR will get national award 2004 for swades, Rising will be the biggest hit in indian history, it will also feature in UK top5, LOTR will be a runaway hit after which madonna and britney spears will vie for ARR as their composer and finally ARR will get padma bhushan for his excellent contirubution in promoting India in the west......guys just pray that these things happen..... :D :D

coucou
7th July 2005, 03:03 PM
ARR will get national award 2004 for swades, Rising will be the biggest hit in indian history, it will also feature in UK top5, LOTR will be a runaway hit after which madonna and britney spears will vie for ARR as their composer and finally ARR will get padma bhushan for his excellent contirubution in promoting India in the west......guys just pray that these things happen..... :D :D

finally arr go to hollywood and scored music for one tamil movie for 10 years. :P :P :P

alias
8th July 2005, 12:41 AM
This will happen. When Yuvan Shankar Raja can become overnight sensation after scoring 3 hits and HJ with 1 (Anniyan) then ARR with one hit and the movie faring will change it all. If you have noticed in TN, the album becomes super hit only if the movie is a hit else it is washout. Boys was a hit before the movei got released and then it slided away from the charts. The same thing happen for AE, KKS and others. The one to survive was New. This time ARR will come back... no matter what these guys says... We are sure that ARR will hit back.

alias
8th July 2005, 12:42 AM

finally arr go to hollywood and scored music for one tamil movie for 10 years. :P :P :P

Even if he gives one album in 10 years it iwll be a sensation unlike other ppl. who are here for 3 decades and still come out with 10 albums a year with all being a flop.

slperson1
14th July 2005, 10:17 PM
Just heard the songs tracks 1 & 5-8 are good
If u enjoyed bose the forgotten hero then u will like this album as well
very patriotic and folksy songs.
mangala mangala is the pick of the album there are 3 versions of it

Arjuna
14th July 2005, 11:00 PM
Alias - well said ;)

Arjuna
14th July 2005, 11:01 PM
Rising is said to be rocking!! All ARR fans grab a CD asap!

Movies
14th July 2005, 11:17 PM
Any Somebody Review please,

Please be honest, no fake reviews please.

Guess_Me
14th July 2005, 11:44 PM
On 1st listening I thought this is the worst album by ARR. On 2nd listening I started re-thinking. On the 5th listening, I understood how stupid I was to judge ARR's work on 1st listen. Here is a short review from my part.

1. 3 versions of Mangal Mangal are present in album. 2 of them are short (which were featured in the teaser trailer). Third one, "Aathma" starts off as a slow tempo version and gain the speed on advancing. All in all a very good song.

2. Main Vari Vari is my pick of the album. Excellent melody featuring soft tablas in the background.

3. Holi Re - not much to talk about. Features the typical Rajasthani drum beats in the background, I felt it was a good one.

4. Rasiya - a fast song. Has got some beautiful chorus interludes which adds the appeal. On the 3rd listening you will begin to like this one.

5. Takey Takey - a typical North village folk song. You will never believe it is a South Indian who composed this song. An okay song.

6. Al Maddath - Excellent one. I dont know what to write about it. ARR himself sang this one. Similiar to Zikr from Bose.

To sum up this one is yet another acheivement for ARR. I was slightly disappointed with Takey Takey but I hope the picturisation will save it. All the others are good. Some are excellent.

baba88
15th July 2005, 01:16 AM
Where can I listen or download 'The Rising' Mp3 Songs ?
Please help me.

njv
15th July 2005, 01:47 AM
On first listening I liked

Rasiya - slow start, pretty fast song though. It would be interesting to see this in the movie. The instruments used are lot like spanish/south american instruments but yet get the indian feeling. I guess this is a song where people are drinking and enjoying a women dancing!

Main Vari Vari - will steal ur heart on first listen. U can find similarity to other OLD songs (I will post later). Neverthless good song.

Holi Re - similar songs have come in many n.i movies. Also the interlude starts like "Dilubaru Jaane" from Kalayinan. Again, good number.

Takey Takey - Again good fast number. I dont know the meaning, but you get a patriotic feeling from this rhythm. Good one.

I rate the title song as the last song, just because it will fit only with the movie. I will review it again after watching the movie, but for now its a situational song (Which is what I always expected from ARR and finally here he goes!)

Good ALLbum for north indians. SI still "sakkara sakkara sakkara" type of song, so they wont accept this.

BTW after hearing this, if someone says ARR is a south indian, even his mom wouldnt believe!

njv
15th July 2005, 01:52 AM
And I dont want to compare this album with any other MD/Album, but ARR's toughest competition is his previous hits. So considering Lagaan its an average album, but again both Lagaan and hopefully Rising will be album that goes with the movie. So dont take any review seriously because once hte movie is out the review will certainly change

njv
15th July 2005, 06:08 AM
Also wait for Suresh's review. Thats the ONLY unbiased review for all type of music/mds.

dinesh2002
15th July 2005, 08:39 AM
here is the link to listen to it online :

http://ww.smashits.com/music/hindi-film/songs/5263/mangal-pandey-the-rising.html

Nerd
15th July 2005, 09:29 AM
BTW after hearing this, if someone says ARR is a south indian, even his mom wouldnt believe!

very true njv :D

btw, dinesh thx for the link.. though the quality is extremely poor, i enjoyed listening to the songs..

will wait for raaga.com.. but the songs are really enjoyable :lol2:

Arjuna
15th July 2005, 10:11 AM
main vari song rocks!! Rani M is gonna rock in this song!

Movies
15th July 2005, 10:57 AM
I am totally blown over by Main vari vari, AMAZING.. somebody give me a wrd to describe this song!

Mangal mangal has diff pattern and feel to it.

Holi re and Rsiya - great!

Takey takey --- i dont know...

Al MAdath; Its pleasing to see rahman have a devotinal song in every period film of his----- but why?

Ive listened to the album 3 times... except for the last two ;takey and al amdath..... only once.... but main vari is makin me go for the repeat button!

But yet again .... I am not sure if this will do what lagaan did...... I WANT A LAGAAAN!

sureshmehcnit
15th July 2005, 12:45 PM
Here is my review on Rising album

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/07/mangal-pandey-rising-music-review.html

Smile
Sureshkumar

dinesh2002
15th July 2005, 01:18 PM
hey guys..thats true.the album is good,but not great!..btw movies,i too have that doubt...is Bose & Mangal Pandey a muslim?? :?

jaiganes
15th July 2005, 02:38 PM
dinesh wrote:

is Bose & Mangal Pandey a muslim??

Nope, both were hindus.
For a smal info:

Mangal Pandey was a East India Company soldier, who refused to use a new gun introduced by the company. the reason being that the gun's case , which had to be bitten off had cow's fat in it. This prompted Mangal Pandey to rise up in revolt (or mutiny as the British Empire described it). Poor mangal Pandey was hanged and that sparked the First war of Indian Independence in which greats like Nana saheb, Tantia Tope and Rani Of Jhansi, Lakshmi Bai participated and sacrificed their lives. This was one war in which Hindus and Muslims fought together side by side against the East India company.

Though the out come was a loss for the Indians, it also marked the end of the East India Company and formally India came under Queen's rule (Queen Victoria). The coronation of the queen in India was done in 1858 in Calcutta (now kolkatta) in the famous Victoria Hall.

So with this bacground in mind please have a look at the songs. I am more interested in the background themes that ARR may have come up with after his legendary scores in "Bose the forgotten Hero".

ps: Dinesh is there any theme music?

jaiganes
15th July 2005, 02:44 PM
One more small pointer:
Catch hold of the Movie "Junoon" starring Shashi kapoor and naseerruddin shah directed by Shyam benegal with Govind Nihalani's camera and Vanraj Bhatia's music. It was also a movie set against the backdrop of the 1857 uprising.
One small foot not i missed out in the previous post:
The 1857 rising was a partial success in that they fighting Indian forces coronated Bahadur Shah Zafa as the Emperor or Badhshah of All India. After the war Bahadur sha zafar the last of the mughal kins was deported to Rangoon, at whose tomb almost 85 years later Nethaji Subhash Chandra Bose paid his obeisance(It is shown in the movie too).

krish244
15th July 2005, 04:54 PM
Music released:

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/jul/15rising.htm

Portion talking about the music of the film:

"...Javed Akhtar has written the lyrics of the seven songs and A R Rahman has composed the music.

"If you take out the songs, there is nothing left in the film," Rahman said. "I wanted to have a large orchestra and I told Bobby about my requirements. He said I could record the songs anywhere in the world. They were finally recorded in Prague. The most difficult composition in the film was the mujra."

Aamir also sings a song in Mangal Pandey. "It's Rahman's fault," he laughed, "He felt I should sing. Whenever something goes wrong, we blame Rahman for it!"..."

Krishnan

Music4Ever
15th July 2005, 06:41 PM
Rasiya is a nice number. Reminds the opening Lagaan number. Nice job, ARR. In fact, really a lovely number after a repeat hearing.

njv
15th July 2005, 06:47 PM
I wanted to have a large orchestra and I told Bobby about my requirements. He said I could record the songs anywhere in the world. They were finally recorded in Prague. The most difficult composition in the film was the mujra."

contrary to my initial posting. I still feel that he should have done a grand prelude and interlude to give a "grand buffet" feeling. Now its a complete full meal, but not a grand buffet. Anyway, I am not a music genious, so I may not got into that yet.

Suresh

Thanks for the review. This is not in your usual style (you too know that!), but neverthless good review. What happened to mouthshut? Did they shut your mouth?

alias
15th July 2005, 08:34 PM
Finally after a long long wait, Rising is there and has ARR raise to the occassion...lets see.

Managala Mangala whichever form it can is truely inspring and excellent to start and I thought this is alternate to the Vande Mataram and Azaadi type of song. Kaliash Kher who struck a note with Allah ke Baande leaves no stone unturn to make it an exciting and shall I comment on the Javeed Saheb lyrics... probably vaisu pathadhu :-)

Then coming the most amazing and probably my fav. (until this point of time) is Vari Vari.. The words vari vari (means liking OR other word is FIDA) when heard from the voice of Reena is truely melodious and I always found her voice to be sweet as honey.. be it Baba kitchu kitchu tha or Yeh Rishta from Meenaxi. And she really excels. IMO she overscored KK with her voice.

Holi re and Rasiya until this point of time is a let down for me. I did not have a good feeling for these songs. I am same situation as I was when Lagaan was rleased. I did not like some songs and then went on to become my fav.

Takee Takee is good situational songs and the kids voice are really good to hear and funny. Sukhwinder as usual excels and as u listen couple of times, it defintely should be a winner.

And finally Almadhat Maula.. My all time fav. devotional song was Parwardekare Alam from Allah Rakha sung by Asha Bhonsle and Md.Aziz which is a pakistani song translated into bollywood song by Lakshmikanth Pyrelal and this song comes close to matching it. But only time will tell.

Over all, it will take couple of listening to really get into the rhythm of the album. Has ARR raised over the expectation... my answer he could have done better.

svaisn
15th July 2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the review...

lancelot
15th July 2005, 09:25 PM
i dont like doing this. but u guys know from where i can download the songs???

hehe
:D

alias
15th July 2005, 09:56 PM
Yes lancelot, I can tell you. Go to nearest music store,buy Rising CD, rip it in your hard drive and download from there. i am just kidding . Wait for sometime.. hear it on Raaga.com and buy the CD.

lancelot
15th July 2005, 09:59 PM
good idea.... the problem is, i looked for it all over the place. not available... i hate it when that hapens..... same thing hapend with "New" had to wait for a long time to get the CD.

hehe

coucou
15th July 2005, 10:00 PM
some reviews:
http://www.indiaplaza.com/catalog/catalogdetail/musicdetail.asp?itemid=312294&place=US&majorcat=music&subcat=audiocds#customer

Arjuna
16th July 2005, 12:57 AM
Dont u think Shreya Ghosal wuld have sounded better than KK in Main vari ? Reena has a sexy voice!

Arjuna
16th July 2005, 12:59 AM
Main vari is the greatest Mujra song of all time!! Just amazing!! Spell bounding - a song that shows y ARR is the Greatest!!

Music4Ever
16th July 2005, 01:29 AM
KK sounds uninspiring in that song.

Movies
16th July 2005, 02:06 AM
Indiafm.com has a review of mangal pandey...

The reviewer is nice guy, unlike the taran or karan guy!

A pretty fair review, but he might have to soon add that the albums gonna do good biz ... :P

Did the reviewer get a glimpse of the song picturization? He seems to be explainin the situation .. lucky guy!....

Whatever...Mani vari vari is .... i still cant find a word to describe this song!!!!! AMAZING!

And takey takey is sounding Gooooood!

This is nothing like Bose or TLOBS, the songs have some commercial flavour in them, It all depends on the movie, If the movies a hit the album will fly of the shelf!

And Suresh.... GOOD review MAN! as always!

Jacky
16th July 2005, 08:29 AM
[tscii:1956af5092]Probably 2nd Rahman album after KM where the songs don't stand out all by itself or there is a pop album kinda feel which ARR fans have been used to last so many years!
A Clear winner from ARR, however the only glitch is the holi song where there's a slight lack of effort – Daud and Dhandiya (Kadhalar dhinam) beats are redundant.
[/tscii:1956af5092]

Movies
16th July 2005, 08:35 AM
So Jacky R u tryin to say Rahman has another Natonal Award at hands?

:P

njv
16th July 2005, 08:48 AM
So Jacky R u tryin to say Rahman has another Natonal Award at hands?

:P
We need to wait till the movie is out. The songs like I said earlier and Jacky said before doesnt stand along, so it would be a good show to watch!

Abt award... do you care, specially after saif won the best actor award this year? I dont.

sureshmehcnit
16th July 2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Njv,

I am still in Mouthshut but i just wanted to have my own blog. My review is available in mouthshut too. I thought it will be easy for people to interact with me in the blog than in mouthshut. I don't know what do you mean by my usual style? The kind of review that i thought to write initially the final shape that it got are entirely diff and that may be the reason for you feeling the revu as fair. Anyway thanx for ur comments.

Movies: Thanx for ur words

Jacky
16th July 2005, 10:15 AM
Movies,
Couldn't care less about National awards. I'll be happy if Aamir and ARR make a meal from this in the west :)

Movies
16th July 2005, 11:01 AM
Sometimes mistakes happen but i dont think thats gotta judge the award.

Awards a recognition for the toiling by the workers.... and now a days with rahmans audio sales drying up, awards the only pleasure we as a fan can get! And In india whatelse more that a national award!

coucou
16th July 2005, 02:09 PM
in the first listenning , i thing it will be better if the lyriscs in tamil.
MAI VARI VARI is the best of the best of the best of the best!!!!
i can't describe this song
when kk prononced main vari vari, the music and voice are beautiful

coucou
16th July 2005, 02:13 PM
once again arr prove his talent in choose of singers

sanchayy
16th July 2005, 05:42 PM
EXCELLENT ALBUM ! 9.5/10

MAULA MAULA MAULA ! VERY GOOD JOB !

slperson1
16th July 2005, 08:43 PM
THis movie is being released in english too.does the english version ahve different lyrics to the songs?

Music4Ever
17th July 2005, 11:08 PM
I am impressed with the following three numbers:

1) Rasiya
2) Al Maddath Maula
3) Takey Takey

The last one is a fun song. Good for dancing. One more number of the quality of Rasiya would have made this a great album, IMO. The title song is repulsive, but I may relish if after repeated hearings.

MADDY
18th July 2005, 10:08 AM
My view on Mangal Pandey music:

First things first. I bow down to ARR’s display of knowledge in different folk styles and sufi music in this album. He is a genius musician who has in depth knowledge of a wide variety of music genres and styles and also he has the craft to reproduce music that should have been played 150 years ago with authenticity.

I’m numbering the songs according to my favorites:

1.Al Maddath Maula : Definitely the best song of the album according to me. This is pure sufi music at its enchanting best. The tune is so catchy that you start to tap your foot within the first listening. The energy that this song emits is also great. The tabla base, which takes over in the middle of the song, is hypnotizing and only ARR can create such an effect. Javed Saab’s lyric is the pillar for this song.9.5/10

2.Rasiya: Surprised main vari is not yet there??? Well I think this song is better than that song. This song is especially for ARR fans. Pallavi of the song is a normal one but the anupallavi bit “Bhigidi manath manath” is so mesmerizing that only ARR fans can understand this song. A typical ARR number.9/10

3.Main Vari: Definitely the crowd puller/Item song I suppose in this movie. As we all know, most of us are laymen in music so it is sound which attracts us. This song has a unique soul stirring sound to it that you begin to fall in love with it. This song again has a mesmerizing anupallavi. The choice of Kavita for this song is a masterstroke according to me as people had forgotten her voice and it was so refreshing in this song.9/10

4.Mangal Mangal: If a person like Aamir Khan says that this is his favorite number for the past 2 decades, then what else is left to say. This song emphasizes ARR’s dominance in folk music. Also this song is the folk music that should have been played 150 years back. Kailash kher does his job to perfection. This song carries the earthy feel that cannot be created by anyone other than ARR. 9/10

Overall this album enters your ears and then travels through your nerves and hangs the central nervous system like a virus. So better listen to this album in Safe Mode (option 3) or you may have to reboot your system.
:D :D

Movies
18th July 2005, 10:37 AM
Maddy, thanks for the simple and elegant review!

I thought Thakey Thakeys gonna be the crowd puller!

Scale
18th July 2005, 11:16 AM
Maddy, thanks for the simple and elegant review!

I thought Thakey Thakeys gonna be the crowd puller!

Definetly! its Mangala & Main Vari since both of them are in trailor now. :)

Lots of complex stuffs in Rasiya, Mangala & Main vari. Maula is mindblowing (ARR). Takey Takey is really funny. Needs some more listening & visualisation to unwrap the beauty of ARR's versatility to gel with the movie.

This is what astonishes me everytime how ARR can come up with different genres of music in each and every album. His compositions are entirely different and doesnt overlap much to his recent releases (bose or swades or even to Aa Aah).

ARR gave me a different meaning (from Microsoft, or any other MD's) how every new versions has to be.... :clap:

lancelot
18th July 2005, 02:55 PM
nice stuff MADDY.....
as i have not much knowlage in music, i have to ask u what Pallavi and Anu-Pallavi is.

hehe

lancelot
18th July 2005, 03:23 PM
hay!!!!!.... from where can i download the music of The Rising...... i am not able to find the CD

hehe

coucou
18th July 2005, 03:34 PM
hay!!!!!.... from where can i download the music of The Rising...... i am not able to find the CD

hehe

you can listen the songs in:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.7164/

Cinefan
18th July 2005, 04:13 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/jul/18rising.htm

Music review.

lancelot
18th July 2005, 04:26 PM
thanx Cinefan..... i loved it. i loved it sooooooooooooooooooooo much.... I I I I I iI Iiiiiiiiiii love it...... extrodinary....

read this

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/musicreview/7123.html

hehe

MADDY
18th July 2005, 06:44 PM
Thnx Movies and Lancelot for supporting my review..... :D

the rediff reviewer terms rasiya as boring...... :D ....as i told u it is a song for ARR fans and not for neuttral ppl.....but i have a gr8 doubt whether ppl. will be able to grasp "Al maddath" and "Rasiya" songs or will it go the same way as "Yeh jo des hai(swades)" and other classy no.s..............

Nayagan
18th July 2005, 09:52 PM
Does any1 know if this is 1 cd/2 cd pack?

From all the reviews it looks like, this is not as good as lagaan.
I think if the movie is a hit then the music sales should do well.
It is indeed tough to do a period film.

Even though yuva and swades were not big hits, i believe the songs were good and the CD was worth the money.

Jacky
18th July 2005, 10:37 PM
If a reviewer listens to this album with a preconceived notion he/she will always feel something is missing! I think ARR has worked with limitations forced by timeline of the plot and its narration yet he has done a pretty good job. He hasn't tweaked any song and still they still sound fresh and authentic. Comparisons to Laagan should be avoided cuz it had 2 romantic songs, 3 songs which capture different human emotions. It just had more scope for creativity!

alias
18th July 2005, 10:41 PM
Maddy, How come u missed Takey Takey in your review... I think this is one of the best in the album and did u guys noticed those cute little voices singing Takey Takey (not the first voice of kids but the second), I think those are sung by ARR kids Rahema and Khadija... Wow what a cute voices and also they end the song with the word Takey Takey.

njv
19th July 2005, 05:22 AM

Even though yuva and swades were not big hits, i believe the songs were good and the CD was worth the money.
1 CD pack
Songs are good and will grow on you. I reviewed sometime back and listed the title song at the last. Now this is the first on my list. You just need time to grow this on to you. Onething for sure, it is a different album and someone previously said, ARR did what MMK failed to do in Paheli. Its pure hindi (rajastani) folks.

Also dont know why u said its not worth the money. Atleast AE had beautiful song, specially the theme song and nenjamellam are worth more than $5

njv
19th July 2005, 05:27 AM
Thnx Movies and Lancelot for supporting my review..... :D

the rediff reviewer terms rasiya as boring...... :D ....as i told u it is a song for ARR fans and not for neuttral ppl.....but i have a gr8 doubt whether ppl. will be able to grasp "Al maddath" and "Rasiya" songs or will it go the same way as "Yeh jo des hai(swades)" and other classy no.s..............
Nope. Rasiya is for everybody (I am HC IR fan and read my review above, rasiya is ont he top). It is a great song.

This is a period movie and ARR can not do unjustice to this type of serious movie. Infact this is the first ARR movie where the songs doesnt stand along and this is a major advantage for the film. IF Rising win any international recognition, I can bet that ARRs music will be one of the key reason (thats why even Vishwathulasi won internation recognition, cuz the songs and BGM by MSV and IR went very well). To me Rasiya is purely an experiment, cuz introducing such seductive song in period type movie must be of great risk.

Rediff & Indiafm.com will write good review if you choose them as media partner. Otherwise, they will rank anything they want. Dont go with their review. For honest/true review look Suresh's review at www.mouthshut.com. You need to put some reasoning before you review a product. You can review Rising thinking that its going to be ARR and the songs are going to ROCK and it will be like Boys. Look at suresh's review.

Movies
19th July 2005, 10:24 AM
At the Audio release function Amir Kham said " We balme it on rahman if anything goes wrong!"

Now I think Rahman and Amir have formed a good bond! Cause saying something like that means they must be close at personal level! What you guys think?

MADDY
19th July 2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mmpaper.asp?sectid=10&articleid=71820052310574377182005231039578

Hey i'm really happy that ARR atlast has recognised his fans' worry......i thought he also enjoyed doing only period films, but now i know even he wants to do films like "dhoom" and "Sachin"........

dont miss it ARR fans....it also carries a very handsome pic of ARR... :D

Movies
19th July 2005, 11:17 AM
Maddy thanks for the link!

How do you guys come across these links in the ocean of internet!

Im sure quite alot of fans are gonna be upset with that article cause of rahman frankness about the albums not doing well.

But Im really happy rahman has now openely shown his frustrations for his period musics not doing well! As a Fan I am hoping rahman to set the commercial world of music on fire with this feedback! RAHMAN HIT EM BACK HARD BUDDY!

Jacky
19th July 2005, 11:45 AM
He's got two more period films to score.
Ashutosh's Akbhar -- can be a BO flop.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375577/fullcredits
ARR with Bhansali should be exciting!

If ARR is keen on scoring for mass hit then he should team up with David Dhawan!

njv
19th July 2005, 06:31 PM
Just a movie for Vijay is more than enough. You will see the ugly (I mean dappaanguthu/mass hit type) side of ARR.

I am very pity for ARR, specially Bose. Some directors could really dont know how to use songs. The best for that is Shankar and MR (though MR spoiled few songs in Dalapathi - the reason for IR=MR split).

While he is away from "period" movies, hopefully he will give some tamil hit as well, probably with different team.

alias
19th July 2005, 07:13 PM
Did uyou guys read the rediff interview of our leader. His next movies are with Abbas Tyrewala which is romantic movie, Rang De Basanthi which we all know about and then a Shyam Benegal musical. And he says he is disappointed with promotion of Bose and I defintely agree. It is Sahara fault. They are big time idiots and have no knowledge of film promotion. They screwed Bose big time. And see how they are making Tanuja Chandra film "Film Star""" which is lying in the cans.

And also mangal Pandey is Thalaivar last Period film. Water which will be released shortly is another period film but made before Mangal Pandey.

http://us.rediff.com/movies/2005/jul/19rahman.htm

Scale
19th July 2005, 07:15 PM
The best for that is Shankar and MR (though MR spoiled few songs in Dalapathi - the reason for IR=MR split).

Guys sorry for the digression! Cant stop posting (its unnecessary compalint abt MR, discoverer of ARR & emergence of new musical revolution)..

njv! aniyayama illa idhu. ippadiyum sollikittu alayireengala (13varushama). I heard MR opted for someone else in Roja since IR didnt do some final changes to those songs(IR's ego). Whereas MR still praises IR. Have IR commented anything good about MR till now.

No wonder why Vairamuthu & Rajini too split from IR.

IMHO, IR gave his ever-time best to Dalapathy.

alias
19th July 2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry guys the rediff article is same as mumbai mirror.

vijayr
19th July 2005, 10:17 PM
Smart move by Rahman. Just when I thought he was doing one too many patriotic period films he is putting a fullstop. Now I wish he wouldnt do too many SJ Surya films in TFM, while not finding the time to do a Shankar film.

vijayr
19th July 2005, 10:21 PM
"Whereas MR still praises IR. Have IR commented anything good about MR till now. "

good point. But has anyone asked IR about Manirathnam till now? :-)

njv
20th July 2005, 12:13 AM
Deleted. Lets focus on Rising and ARR here.

lancelot
20th July 2005, 08:23 PM
cant wait... read this

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/preview/7123.html

hehe

MADDY
21st July 2005, 09:55 AM
thnx lancy for the link.........

i think Ah Aah thread is killing this thread....... :D ........inba vali for ARR fans......

Scale
21st July 2005, 10:17 AM
thnx lancy for the link.........

i think Ah Aah thread is killing this thread....... :D ........inba vali for ARR fans......

Doesnt matter Maddy! The majority of the hubbers are tamil speaking and south indians. I am really excited with the response from these two albums here as well as in ARRYG. Nice way to end this 2005 from ARR.

Rising & Aa Aah is entirely different! Does this man have any yardstick for his experimentation skills?

Maram kothiyae shows his genius how he can convert even a melody to beats with beautiful rythms. Earlier ones were Telephone mani pol and Endrendum punnagai. :clap:

Overall my fav is Mangala Mangala. Reserve awards for Kailash kher for his soulful rendering.

Movies
21st July 2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah maddy i got drenched in the euphoria of A Aa, that i forgot about the rising divinity!

Whole day im having trouble choosing what song to listen to from A AA that i forgot about Rising..... ok now before i melt the A Aa cd ill go back to rising... First AL Mathatha.....

MADDY
21st July 2005, 04:56 PM
i was listening to Al madatha Maula today......i had a very divine experience listening to it.....though i'm not a muslim this song really made my hair-stand and i felt as if surrendering to god and there were tears in my eyes by the end of it......i think this song is growing very rapidly and dangerously on me.. ...:D... ..anyone else feeling the same???

united07
21st July 2005, 09:32 PM
I know why ARR used the Baba Kichi Ta in Swades and Daud+Dhandiya beat in Mangal!

Both Ashutosh and Aamir grown a sentiment to ARR's beat of hit song to do the same magic as Ghaanane Ghanane (which used Jodi's beat)....and tried to follow the same sentiment in their next venture with ARR!...

after this, they will stop doing that...i'm sure

MADDY
21st July 2005, 11:24 PM
united,ur statements are so irrelevantly irritating.........infact i thought u were bringing a diff prospect in A AH thread but now i know u r doing something on purpose to irritate ARR fans........just stop it yaar......we r happy after a long time....it is like we have joined here as a family after a long time for a grand marraige occasion so y r u spoiling the party???

alias
21st July 2005, 11:33 PM
i was listening to Al madatha Maula today......i had a very divine experience listening to it.....though i'm not a muslim this song really made my hair-stand and i felt as if surrendering to god and there were tears in my eyes by the end of it......i think this song is growing very rapidly and dangerously on me.. ...:D... ..anyone else feeling the same???

Yes maddy, I have the same feeling. As I said I never thought this song would make that impact at the begining but now I am totally glueed to this song as it is close to beat my previous fav. ARR song of Zikr. Being a muslim, I am totally for this song even though I am against heavy beats in religious song.

MADDY
24th July 2005, 10:15 AM
helllo guys......ARR has made a album called Rising....anyone remember????????? :D ppl. r so engrossed with Ah Aah that they have forgotten rising..............

hey i wanted to tell u guys that "Mangal" and "main vari" songs r catching up with pppl. here......it is being played on FM quite frequently.....my frnds have given positive views on Rising.....couple of them have bought CDs also....so hope rising will become a huge hit for ARR.......will come up with sales figures in a week.... :D

coucou
24th July 2005, 05:01 PM
[tscii:2d1a45cddc]For many it may be “oh what a long four years it has been”, for, after 2001, Aamir Khan is back after a long hiatus in the epic tale of The Ballad of Mangal Pandey. The biggest film of 2005 sees the successful Khan portraying a historical hero making it no surprise that A.R. Rahman is with him. But it’s not all glamorous. For all the commercial projections that Mangal Pandey-The Rising has, it’s quite obvious after listening to the soundtrack that it’s not going to be forgotten that it is a period film re-telling a historical story. A.R. Rahman, as usual, hasn’t forgotten this either while composing the music. Unlike his work for period films like Lagaan and 1947 Earth to name a couple, the music for Mangal Pandey is quite non-commercialized and not aimed to a universal acceptance. Rahman has once again created several unique compositions, made use of Javed Akhtar’s fruitful lyrics and for the most part has kept his music enriched with a qawaali, mujra and three theme tracks which in themselves tell the film with the music. Yet this is one is arguably not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Javed Akhtar is at his pensive best in the soundtrack’s theme “Mangal Mangal”. A sharp and distinguishing piece, Kailesh Kher leaves an impression in his almost devotional impression of the tracks which tell the story of Mangal Pandey and his progression as seen in the second version, “Agni”, and the ultimate version, “Aatma”. Telling a story more than anything else, these tracks come on quite strong to the listener on first listen but are ultimately worth the listener’s attention as the experience progresses. Clearly the last version, “Aatma”, is the best not only because of Sukhwinder Singh’s contribution but because as it closes the soundtrack gives the listener a sense of not only satisfaction but resolution.

Perhaps it is the long lost vocalization by Kavita Krishnamurthy or simply the undeniably irresistible tune, but Krishnamurthy’s “Main Vari Vari” is the best song of the soundtrack and perhaps the most appealing to any listener as well. It’s Rani Mukherjee’s turn to dance the mujra after Madhuri in Devdas’ “Mar Dalla” and it is without question that “Main Vari Vari” is the better of the two and probably the hardest to tap one’s feet to. Whatever the case is, Kavita and Reena Bharadwaj (the revelation in Rahman’s own “Yeh Rishta” from Meenaxi), are simply exquisite for lack of a better word in the addictive tune.

The other female based composition is ironically an item number, if you may. And again, it stands out as a sultry piece de resistance that only Rahman could have created. After all, in these days of English lyrics and rap beats one can imagine how hard it must have been to create this one lyrically and musically and make it as great as it is. “Chaliya” is irresistible thanks to Richa Sharma’s sulky vocals, an Arabic beat and a haunting chorus. Certainly a Rahman classic. “Chaliya” and “Main Vari Vari” are probably the only two songs that could find some appeal beyond the non-typical listener but they are strong enough to promote the album and help it gain some recognition.

The much publicized Holi portion of the film will contain the track “Holi Re”. As fun as it looks the song is unlike its contemporaries and ends up being a tad verbose, which is no discredit to Akhtar’s very festive lyrics. Aamir Khan himself opens up the song and Udit Narayan is at his playful best yet the song doesn’t seize the listener or make you want to get up and celebrate. Considering that Rahman created “Radha Kaise Na Jale” and “Pal Pal Hai Bhari”, “Holi Re” seems like a more unconventional approach with too many things going on at creating the mood of the season and the results are as such not as one would expect.

It’s not often that A.R. Rahman repeats himself and certainly not so obvious as he does in the beginning portions of “Takey Takey” which is lifted from Rahman’s earlier work ‘Saaiyan’ from Nayak. One gets the feeling that perhaps it was his own way of trying to catch the listener’s attention for much thereafter is not going to. The purely situational track is on the lines of “Bar Bar Hum” from Lagaan and “Yuhin Chala” from Swades, but sadly not as catchy as those are.

Rahman chooses the qawaali for his obligatory vocal rendition in “Al Maddat Maula”. Rahman’s voice is great to listen to and what stands out the most but the song is otherwise another situational one with very short shelf life.

Having created nothing short of masterpieces in thematic albums like Lagaan, Zubeeida, 1947 Earth and such, one expected The Ballad of Mangal Pandey to be more appealing with theme and situations combined. It is clear that Rahman has worked hard on the compositions and the soundtrack and his work has paid off. Mangal Pandey is a very excellent soundtrack for a historical film. However, for a grand film that is aiming at a commercialized audience and clearly so, some might find that the music is quite un-grand in that aspect and that aspect alone.

http://planetbollywood.com/Music/MangalPandey-TheRising/[/tscii:2d1a45cddc]

Movies
25th July 2005, 07:55 AM
Wow, the rising effect!

It growing really hard! It has more in it than bose, i feel.
Not a single can be complained on (except the daud beats :) )! Genuine stuff from rahman!

Now that we have A AA to quench our thrist on rahmans commercial music, I want rahman to do more and more period and classy stuffs jus like rising !

Scale
25th July 2005, 08:25 PM
Rasiya! promos are on MTV....

mmmm mmmm mmmm

Oh Rasiya! Oh Chaliye...

Nayagan
25th July 2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks njv for answering my questions.

Actually read my earlier post, I said both swades and AE/yuva were worth the money :)

Infact swades I think is under appreciated.
The songs "swaariya swaariya" and
The song situtaion-with sita being Ravana's captive were very good.

1 CD pack
Songs are good and will grow on you. I reviewed sometime back and listed the title song at the last. Now this is the first on my list. You just need time to grow this on to you. Onething for sure, it is a different album and someone previously said, ARR did what MMK failed to do in Paheli. Its pure hindi (rajastani) folks.

Also dont know why u said its not worth the money. Atleast AE had beautiful song, specially the theme song and nenjamellam are worth more than $5

united07
27th July 2005, 07:29 AM
wow...the Takey Takey song simply rocks...
the instrumentation is good as well as the arrangement...

Hole re is really an attention grabber opposing that wat most of the critics said....

but I have to say the best is definitely the Mangal Mangal and Main Vari Vari..songs.....

Cinefan
27th July 2005, 04:49 PM
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=13904640

Music review.

Movies
28th July 2005, 03:17 AM
united surprisingly i agrre with everyword u said! :P

united07
28th July 2005, 07:33 AM
Dear maddy,

there's no reason for me to irritate ARR fans...coz that will mean I'm trying to irritate myself yaar.

The beats used/repeated could be due to some sentimental reason....thats all i said.....or else why would Aamir + Kethan Mehta or Ashutosh + SRK can settle for something like that?
it's just a possibility..of course...i wouldn't know the truth...

anyway....for now.....Mangal Pandey...keeps me going!...

Scale
28th July 2005, 11:33 AM
Dear maddy,

there's no reason for me to irritate ARR fans...coz that will mean I'm trying to irritate myself yaar.

The beats used/repeated could be due to some sentimental reason....thats all i said.....or else why would Aamir + Kethan Mehta or Ashutosh + SRK can settle for something like that?
it's just a possibility..of course...i wouldn't know the truth...

anyway....for now.....Mangal Pandey...keeps me going!...

HOW IS MADDY? ANYOTHER MUMBAI MATES?

STILL POWER CUT!!

Jacky
28th July 2005, 09:25 PM
http://www.business-standard.com/iceworld/storypage_link.php?chklogin=N&autono=195726&lselect=4&leftnm=lmnu9&leftindx=9

Grand plans for Rising!

MADDY
29th July 2005, 08:55 AM
hey i'm fine scale :D ...thnx for ur concern......but many poor ppl. have died in these rains which pains me a lot......

neyways i survived to spread the fame of ARR :D

Cinefan
29th July 2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/07/29/stories/2005072903210100.htm

Aamir Khan on 'The Rising'

alwarpet_andavan
29th July 2005, 01:28 PM
I subscribe to The Hindu, Chennai edition. I like it because it is one of the few newspapers in the country that reports news unlike some others that are full of trivia (smiles).
:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

alwarpet_andavan
29th July 2005, 01:30 PM
Listened to 4 songs from "the Rising" yesterday. "Main vari vari" takes the cake..... Still haven't got out of it.......
The rest need some more listenings, i guess.........

Cinefan
29th July 2005, 05:04 PM
Listened to 4 songs from "the Rising" yesterday. "Main vari vari" takes the cake..... Still haven't got out of it.......

But the problem is that I hate Kavitha Krishnamurthy.Can't stand her voice at all.

alwarpet_andavan
29th July 2005, 05:08 PM

But the problem is that I hate Kavitha Krishnamurthy.Can't stand her voice at all.
Sounds like she always has a bad cold :)
But this "Main vari vari" is terrific.....

Cinefan
29th July 2005, 05:14 PM
Sounds like she always has a bad cold :)
But this "Main vari vari" is terrific.....

Listened to that too&my earlier comment stands.In fact 'The Rising' has not impressed me till now except for the rousing strains of 'Mangal Mangal'-good singing from Kailash kher.But I have to accept that I have listened only a couple of times while working, with the music being played in the background.I will reserve comments till I give it a good hearing.

Observer_Is_Back
31st July 2005, 07:20 AM
[tscii:e65da46327]http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=75308

The Growing Up Diaries

AR Rahman tells Lalitha Suhasini he feels recharged with Mangal Pandey

Posted online: Sunday, July 31, 2005 at 0000 hours IST

HE describes his last three scores for Swades, Kisna and Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero as a giant leap. ‘‘They weren’t 50 per cent samplers,’’ says AR Rahman, ‘‘They were 80-90 per cent raag-based, and I got a chance to grow. The Czech film orchestra (in Bose) was also one such instance.’’
His latest compositions for yet another epic Mangal Pandey: The Rising take time to work their magic. Mangal Mangal doesn’t leave you as elated as the Lagaan numbers did, though singer Kailash Kher loses himself in the track, reaching some unknown place within himself. ‘‘It’s a mix of an abhang (devotional song) and an aalhaa, and it changes colour through the film,’’ says director Ketan Mehta.

An aalhaa is a folk-style rendition (popular in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan), traditionally used to rouse the warrior spirit. ‘‘The song plays the role of a sutradhaar (narrator) and appears at various points of the film,’’ explains lyricist Javed Akhtar. So, there are three variations (there were four to start with). Our favourite is the Aatma version, with Sukhwinder Singh and Kher.

Main Vari Vari is a superb mujra, with a jhalak of Bombay’s Kehna Hai Kya, and Kavita Krishnamurthy has never sounded sweeter. ‘‘We were struggling with this mujra based on a thumri,’’ says Mehta of his favourite pick. The Chennai-based composer says the change in the lyrics proved challenging. ‘‘Initially, Main Vari Vari was Mujhe Maro Maro, Mujhe Maro Na,’’ he says. ‘‘Since Devdas had Maar Daala, I suggested the lyrics be changed.’’

The much talked about Holi Re, with Aamir Khan’s vocals, has good pickup, the usual festive euphoria and meanders into a ’60s strain in the line Rang ki hai ghata, man jhoom utha.

The sexy, Spanish-flavoured Rasiya brings in Richa Sharma whose vocals throw up an image of a voluptuous village belle. The percussion and string section bring back the sound of Chanda Re from Sapnay.

Al Maddath Maula is another experiment (a la Zikr in Bose). Rahman has an affinity to Sufi and spiritual numbers and, not surprisingly, he sings for this one too.

None of these might eventually be commercial hits. ‘‘In a way, it does affect me,’’ admits Rahman. ‘‘I know people feel the void due to the lack of fast-paced shows.’’

Why haven’t we heard another album of chartbusters like, say, a Taal, a Rangeela or even a Yuva from the biggest name in Indian music? “There are two young films coming up,’’ he says, listing director Rajiv Menon and scriptwriter Abbas Tyrewala’s upcoming ventures. And adds that Rang De Basanti also has some peppy tunes.

Mangal Pandey is a curiosity pick or an album for Rahman fans—the masses may not rise to the occasion this time around.

But there’s good news for those who love it. Look out for a CD of the film’s background music, due out next month. ‘‘For Bose, we had it all in one,’’ says Rahman. ‘‘It was all mixed up like sambhar.’’

[/tscii:e65da46327]

Observer_Is_Back
31st July 2005, 08:27 AM
The exciting news here, for me at any rate, is the promise of the full score on CD shortly. This was expected to accompany the songs in a twin-pack, but I'm fine with this way of doing things. I'm hoping earnestly that in instrumental mode Rahman will make up in some way for the nagging feel of "lack" engendered by the songs themselves.

What this close-to-universal sense of disappointment stems from, however, isn't easy to articulate. Most reviewers have, unsurprisingly, abdicated their critical responsibilities by invoking the "inevitability" of the album's commercial failure, thereby erecting mass taste as the standard, a lame strategy any way you look at it. My own stance is that, while eminently enjoyable, the soundtrack falls short in terms of complexity, detail and obsessive attention that we've come to expect from period efforts. The songs feels relatively shorter and slighter than recent landmarks in the genre, landmarks that were established in many cases by Rahman himself, but also by Ismail Darbar. The reasons for this are not hard to seek: first, Ketan Mehta is, musically speaking, no SLB or Ghai; second, Mangal Pandey is a very story-driven project, and, as such, deploys songs as nothing more than a token gesture towards Bolly-friendliness. I think these facts account for the album's period-lite feel.

Also, at least two of the tracks here are somewhat ill-timed, a circumstance that Rahman can't be blamed for, atleast not entirely. The first is the mujra, which, coming after Maar Daala and Chilman as it does, exudes too strong a sensation of deja vu, and ultimately in my opinion fails to measure up to its predecessors. Ideally this song should have been approached in a wholly different way, or, given the risks of doing anything different, perhaps avoided altogether. Similarly, the Muslim devotional comes after several Rahman masterpieces in the sub-genre, notably Zikr, and at this point one is compelled to say that there can be too much of a good thing. Al Maddath Maula is a fine track, but unleashing it now is wrong strategy.

To return to my original thrust, I believe the score will compensate for the above lapses, and deliver the period "charge" that the songs don't quite manage. It will not be, I fear, the Indo-European classical fusion that Rahman's capable of, since such a melding of deep traditions will take more time than the busy composer has at his disposal currently. Also, the all-too-predictable presence of the Czech Orchestra ensures that Indian elements can appear only sparingly, if at all. All the same, Rahman has demonstrated a growing control over western orchestral resources from WOHE to Bose, and the Rising is likely to further that trajectory.

nilavupriyan
31st July 2005, 10:47 AM
"the rising "is better than a ah.mangal mangal,main vaari are good numbers

Scale
31st July 2005, 11:18 AM
Which all the theatres "The Rising" & "Aa Aah" are getting screened in Chennai?

sureshmehcnit
4th August 2005, 01:29 PM
Movie Review of Rising

Review published in a London Magazine here

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/08/rising-ballad-of-mangal-pandey.html

Manirtnam speaks about A.R.Rahman and doing musical show with him

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/08/maniratnam-arrahman-again.html

united07
4th August 2005, 05:22 PM
listening to MP via musicindiaonline.com was already good enough for me...

and today after i bought the CD...and listened thru the proper "channel"...MAN!..THIS IS VINTAGE ARR!....

simply superb!....simply amazing...how on earth can anyone come up with the innocence woven into Takey Takey, the seductiveness into Rasiya, the holiness and patriotism into AlMaddath Maula, and the the feeling of love into Main Vaari Vaari

p/s: i understand no Hindi, and those feelings are what triggered in me by listening to the songs....MHO only...

Ramki
4th August 2005, 05:35 PM
Film Review:

http://www.shadowsonthewall.co.uk/05/rising.htm

Music4Ever
4th August 2005, 07:23 PM
Al Maddath Maula is beautiful. The chorus going Al maddath Maula, however, is war like and reminds the Wagah border!! ARR excels by bringing devotion into his voice. A wonderful number by any standard, IMO.

MADDY
7th August 2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.ndtv.com/ent/newstory.asp?section=Movies&slug=%3Ci%3EMangal+Pandey%3C%2Fi%3E+hailed+at+Loca rno&id=3843

Rising gets a standing ovation at Locarno film festival,Switzerland.... :D hope the movie does well here as well.....

Scale
7th August 2005, 10:58 AM
Can anyone reply to this?

alwarpet_andavan
9th August 2005, 11:45 AM

The Rising: Melody, Ega, Mayajaal (probably Sathyam too)

Scale
9th August 2005, 12:11 PM

The Rising: Melody, Ega, Mayajaal (probably Sathyam too)

Thanks AA.

alias
9th August 2005, 07:25 PM
I will miss watching Rising in Satyam. I watched Swades there and it was an awesome experience compare to crap theatres in US where these Indian guy rent dollar theatre and screen big budget movies there to make money.

united07
10th August 2005, 11:11 AM
the truth apart from the standing ovation...

http://www.indiafm.com/news/2005/08/09/5603/index.html

coucou
10th August 2005, 01:00 PM
[tscii:cd652c3387]The Rising doesn’t open to good reviews
By IndiaFM News Bureau, August 9, 2005 - 07:00 IST

Aamir Khan’s Mangal Pandey – The Rising was premiered at the Locarno Film Festival and also screened for the British media in London. No wonder the first review of the film comes in from The Hollywood Reporter that is no quite positive. The review is in all praise of Aamir Khan’s performance but adds “Sumptuously designed and beautifully shot, the film will delight Bollywood fans but likely will fail to capture mainstream audiences with its melodramatic style and jarring combination of stirring action, brutality and musical numbers”.

“The Bollywood style is so bouncy and optimistic, however, that it's difficult to sustain the effect of an oppressed nation when everyone, even untouchables and slave girls, all appear so jolly. The social message gets a bit lost amid all the happy singing people.”

Let’s see what the critics on this side of the Pacific have to say about the film
[/tscii:cd652c3387]

is it true :shock:

coucou
10th August 2005, 01:05 PM
[tscii:08f31790e8]Legend of Mangal Pandey as told through AmirKhan

Behindwoods
August 9, 2005

He has worked hard on the role for over two years and it shows. Amir Khan as the slain hero of the First War of Indian Independence, Mangal Pandey has virtually lived that role. Known as the best method actor in Bollywood, his portrayal of Mangal is very convincing especially because not much is known about the warrior’s personality. Ketan Mehta, who is a well-known director has created the screenplay after extensive research. Another great plus for the film is the music by A.R. Rahman. It matches the mood of the film perfectly and arouses patriotic fervor a la Ma Tujhe Salam. This is Rahman’s second project with Amir after the mega hit Lagaan. The film opens on August 12 coinciding with the Independence Day weekend. Let us stand in salute to the great soldier who died so that his countrymen could breathe free.

[/tscii:08f31790e8]

Jacky
10th August 2005, 02:41 PM
Reuters review wasn't a rave.
But guardian seems to have given 3 stars for rising. 3 stars = good.
http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20050809-2.html

njv
11th August 2005, 04:23 AM
I just hope that the film stand upto the music. The music was excellent. As usual ARR music wasnt appealing at first, but now the songs are way too good and the title music goes very well with the title. Happened to see the promo clip on TV and its breath taking.

It doesnt matter if the western audiance like it or not, but such a divine music should not be spoiled in the movie (one reason why ARR doesnt want to do period movie). Lets hope!

Arjuna
11th August 2005, 06:23 PM
Guys - check this out - maniratnam's latest film news

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=4414

alias
11th August 2005, 08:04 PM
njv, I was watching the promos of Rising and man, what a BGM,,... ARR kalakal again. It would be great to listen on big screen.cannt wait until Sat. to watch this great movie by Aamir-ARR combo.

And also Aamir would be directing movie after completing Yash chopra production Fanaa. I hope he will take ARR as MD for his directorial debut.

Jacky
11th August 2005, 08:17 PM
http://web.mid-day.com/news/city/2005/august/115947.htm

Jacky
11th August 2005, 08:17 PM
http://web.mid-day.com/news/city/2005/august/115947.htm

stone cold
11th August 2005, 08:18 PM
Mangal Pandey - THE RISING - MOVIE REVIEW
Review is from Filmfare

Cast :
Aamir Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Ameesha Patel, Toby Stephens, Coral Beed, Kirron Kher, Varsha Usgaonkar, Habib Tanveer.
Crew:
Director : Ketan Mehta
Producer : Bobby Bedi, Deepa Sahi
Music : A.R Rahman
Lyrics : Javed Akhtar
Director of Photography : Himman Dhamija
Editor : Shreekar Prasad
Screenplay : Farrukh Dhondy
Stunts : Abbas Ali Moghul
Choreography : Raju Khan, Saroj Khan, Sandip Soparrkar
Costume Design : Lovleen Bains

stone cold
11th August 2005, 08:21 PM
[tscii:c199b3848c]The movie starts in an almost epic-like, grand fashion with an elephant giving a symbolic clarion call for freedom. It takes your breath away, but the pace of the story, especially in the first half (to set the tone) is a little long drawn. In the end, it is not a ‘Lagaan’ (which the makers didn’t want it to be anyway) meaning that in terms of entertainment value, it falls a star short.

The film, set in 1857, is about Mangal Pandey, a sepoy in the British army. Revolving around this simple Brahmin, the movie unfolds the turbulent times and the happenings that changed the history of India. It shows the unrest brewing against the British who set up the East India Company as traders and finally settled down as rulers. It is also a platform around which the next century would revolve. The film also addresses a lot of factors like abolition of Sati and the caste system that created the mood for the restlessness among the Indians.

Aamir’s character evolves from a very simple, staunch Brahmin who is happy to receive his Rs 7/- salary from the British to a man who fired the imagination of a nation. Mangal shares a deep friendship with a British commanding officer, Gordon whose life he once saved. Though, he practices untouchability and maintains his Brahaminical faith, but time and again he shows that he would not tolerate any injustice done to his fellow Indians. He falls in love with Heera (Rani Mukherjee) a prostitute. He dares to visit her where only Englishmen, eunuchs and untouchables were allowed to go. What triggers off the revolt is the supposedly greased cartridges laced with cow and pig fat. To use them the soldiers have to bite into them to break the seal. When the regiment officer commands them to use the greased cartridge in their rifles the regiment refuses to do so. On Gordon’s assurance that no animal fat is used in them, Mangal Pandey steps forward and uses them. Soon they discover the truth and Mangal feels betrayed and hurt. This toughens him to take a stand to lay his life for his country. He realizes that he was not fighting for his hurt religious sentiments but for his own freedom and for the freedom of his country. In the end he is shown smiling - unafraid of death.

Coming to the much talked about look that Aamir worked on and gave 2 ½ years maintaining it, the long tresses and his moustache give him an uncanny resemblance to the sketches of the real life Mangal Pandey. Whether it’s his uniform or his dhoti and the sacred-thread, there’s authenticity written all over the film. As a staunch Brahmin, he is shown bathing in the Holy river, cooking his own food and wearing a caste-defining long red ‘tika’. He does not speak chaste Hindi as a Brahmin should, since he has not undergone any formal education. And yet, he is not the rustic that we saw in ‘Lagaan’; he is a much traveled man thanks to the movement of his battalion to various states. He has the capacity to think that if the struggle for freedom is launched at the same time in different parts of India the company would definitely loose the battle as the sepoys outnumbered the British. And Aamir plays that with his amazing repertoire of emotional intensity and talent. As always, Aamir scores a 10 for the sheer getting into character and dedication. Making that extra effort to define his role apart from a ‘Lagaan’ set in similar era among the very same Britishers; the touch of ‘urbanisation’ in character shows – however subtly. For his character, Aamir has put on weight and made an effort to look older to give more gravity to the character of Mangal Pandey. He comes across as a serious guy throughout the film except when he along with Gorden under the influence of ‘Bhang’ plays a prank on the unsuspecting British officers. One of the film’s rare light moments in a heavily charged atmosphere throughout.

As far as the performances go, needless to say, Mr. Perfect Aamir Khan becomes Mangal Panday and emerges as a top notch actor (as if that were ever in doubt) yet again. Almost the sole focal point of the film. He delivers yet another riveting performance. Rani Mukherjee, sexy and dusky as ever, has done justice to her crisp, short role as the betel-juice spouting prostitute; though her costumes look far too contemporary, with plunging necklines, uncharacteristic for that era. Ameesha as a young widow who is rescued by Gordon is hardly noticeable in her miniscule role but is sincere. Om Puri as a narrator fills the gaps in his deep baritone. Toby Stevens is highly impressive as Gordon, the British officer who comes from a humble background and makes India his home. He has made a good attempt to learn and convey in Urdu and Hindi. Kiron Kher as the 'kotha' owner is good.

Cinematography is excellent and the canvas huge. The ‘tripping’ point, surprisingly, is the music by A. R Rahman :shock: . It’s not as appealing as a movie of this stature (and for a musician of his class) demanded; except perhaps, ‘Mangal-Mangal’ rendered by Kailash Kher. One of the later songs almost reminds you of an item number. Completely unnecessary.

The film conveys a message which is the need of the hour; that we should be able to fight for the freedom not only externally but we need to break free from the shackles of our own prejudices, mentally too. It is a good break from the usual hi-tech movies with hunks and babes. Though the pace of the movie is slow in the first half; post interval it catches up. Highly recommended for gen. X to get a fair idea as to how our society has evolved from the 19 th century to the present day.

We recommend ‘The Rising’ as a must see if only for the powerhouse comeback of Aamir and to remind today’s young generation of their glorious history and how the struggle for independence was started by one man. For the rest, it is not a classic by any means; falling into the rut of commercial enterprise and the requisite ‘items’ of modern audiences.[/tscii:c199b3848c]

njv
11th August 2005, 08:24 PM
njv, I was watching the promos of Rising and man, what a BGM,,... ARR kalakal again. It would be great to listen on big screen.cannt wait until Sat. to watch this great movie by Aamir-ARR combo.

And also Aamir would be directing movie after completing Yash chopra production Fanaa. I hope he will take ARR as MD for his directorial debut.
Amir and ARR has a good rapo, so probably he will go with ARR. I am also going to watch, but probably on Saturday not tomorrow.

dinesh2002
11th August 2005, 09:36 PM
the movie releasing tomm????

njv
11th August 2005, 09:50 PM
the movie releasing tomm????
Yes, Rising releasing worldwide on Aug 12th... Enjoy.

coucou
11th August 2005, 10:35 PM
main vari vari is on top of the charts
http://www.planetbollywood.com/top10songs.php

MADDY
12th August 2005, 12:45 PM
Mangal Pandey is releasing today.....i was watching Star News-Hindi channel and they were claiming that Mumbai,Kolkatta,Delhi and Meerut(Mangal pandey city) have houses full upto 16th aug.......hope it bcomes a huge hit and a bright spot in ARR's resume........

MADDY
12th August 2005, 12:49 PM
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=10&articleid=811200505324906811200505215265

some interesting statistics......if mangal pandey can run 10 housefull days then it can recover all its money...gr8.....

Jacky
12th August 2005, 01:23 PM
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/review.php?id=13916066&ctid=5&cid=2425

Cinefan
12th August 2005, 04:05 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/12aamir.htm

Movie review.

coucou
12th August 2005, 05:28 PM
The Rising: The Legend of Mangal Pandey Movie Review:

This ambitious epic is a thunderously strong examination of how friendship and principles can actually change the world. Audiences put off by the concept of a very long Bollywood romantic-musical-comedy historical epic will be gripped by this one.

In 1857 Mangal Pandey (Khan) is a sepoy, an Indian serving under the command of Britain's East India Company, which by then had controlled the subcontinent for a century with its own laws, military and government. Mangal's a close friend of the sensitive British captain William Gordon (Stephens), but the introduction of a new gun cartridge drives a wedge between them. Greased with cow and pig fat, it's deeply offensive to both Hindus and Muslims. And a small standoff develops into a full-scale indigent rebellion.

On the surface, this is pure Bollywood: colourful sets and costumes, expansive cinematography, big musical numbers, local culture, blood-soaked violence, lusty romance and a cast of hundreds (OK, some scenes feature impressive crowds). What sets this film apart is a storyline that focuses not on the romance (there are two of them here) but on themes and ideologies. It's also a gentle and layered examination of the strong but shaken friendship between two upstanding men who find themselves on the wrong side of the law--and each other.

Khan and Stephens are excellent--introspective and fiercely emotional, with fire in their souls that's outlined clearly right from the start. This means we're never really surprised by their noble actions, no matter how many red herrings the filmmakers throw at us. And it also makes the greedy villains of the piece rather one-dimensional--callous colonialists and impassive local rulers. The company's ruthless avarice is a fairly heavy-handed swipe at today's globalisation, but the point is a strong one.

These global-political issues are vitally important, and are fascinating to see in a film set 150 years ago. But what grips us is the intense humanity that drives the film: tensions between east-west, old-new, male-female and the local castes. These details maybe a bit overwhelming, but they're also fascinating to Western audiences, as is the historical context for the free market system. That it boils over into a massive uprising is hardly surprising. And it's the intimate drama that brings it home.

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/reviews/r/risingthelegendofmangalpandey.htm

njv
12th August 2005, 06:59 PM
Anyone saw this yet? I cant wait. Tickets are full for next couple of weeks including weekdays in NJ.

Jacky
12th August 2005, 07:23 PM
"A vivid, sharp, skilfully assembled and highly enjoyable adventure."
http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=148782

njv
12th August 2005, 08:34 PM
same review, last line

"if there's room in your life for only one all-singing, all dancing, satirically-inclined, lavish historical adventure, make it this one"

Jacky
12th August 2005, 09:16 PM
"if there's room in your life for only one all-singing, all dancing, satirically-inclined, lavish historical adventure, make it this one"

Yep almost every review from UK says that. That's Bollywood and it won't change for anyone!

Nayagan
12th August 2005, 09:47 PM
Rediff syas and I quote

"Mangal Pandey, which releases this Friday, is one of the most awaited films of the year. The trade has given it a thumbs up where the box office is concerned, while the aggressive promos splashed all over look interesting.

Many argue that the music, by A R Rahman, was a let-down. Will the film get a better response?"

So how is the music.
Better than Bose or not?

alias
12th August 2005, 10:14 PM
Finally Cinesouth seems to be realizing their mistake (probably after we have started complaining:-)). Here is the article they praise ARR during the release of Mangal Pandey (which I pray that it should be massive hit like no other movie before).

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/12082005-6.shtml

njv
12th August 2005, 10:33 PM
Got reviews from the ppl who saw the movie. The music isnt appealing in the movie, but BGM is jaw dropping, which means ARR wins. The reason I am saying is that in ARR movies music overtakes the movie and making the movie not worth anything and if he underplayed the music and did good job in BGM, what else we want.

Lot of ppl complained that the movie is too long and dragging a bit in between, and the climax seems to be confusing (probably something that is not told is better and for some ppl it might be confusing). But overall everyone was happy to see this finally.

app_engine
12th August 2005, 11:27 PM
"While Rahman's music may not be ever-lasting, his background score has that international feel, befitting an epic. Cinematography [Himman Dhamija] is exceptional, again matching global standards. The locations and the colors only accentuate the visual impact. Special mention must also be made of the production design [Nitin Chandrakant Desai], costumes [Lovleen Bains] and makeup [Penelope Smith, Slash Apeni Sandhu]. Dialogues are natural to the core."

"Any loopholes in an otherwise perfect film? The songs seem forced in the narrative. Ideally, the film could've done with two songs, 'Mangal Mangal' and 'Teri Adaon Pe Main Vaari Vaari'. The Holi track as also the romantic song [filmed on Aamir-Rani, Toby-Amisha] can easily be deleted since they only act as barricades in the otherwise smooth narrative."

The relevant portions from a very positive review from msn.co.in:

http://autofeed.msn.co.in/pandorav3/output/Cinema/d2226a94-dacb-423b-84e3-84e2839e2cc2.aspx

coucou
13th August 2005, 12:28 AM
After an interval, A R Rehman is again composing music for a Hindi film 'Khazan' produced and directed by Tanvir Ahmed. The film aims to make it to the Oscars.

the news about this movie :roll:

coucou
13th August 2005, 12:47 AM
[tscii:786b0f2d1e]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Releasing this Friday will be Ketan Mehta's magnum opus 'Mangal Pandey - The Rising' . The big budgeted Aamir-Rani-Amisha starrer has been sold for a high price to Yashraj films , who are the all India distributors . The music has not been selling well due to the simple fact that Yashraj released it barely a month before the film's release , as they gave priority to the music of their home production 'Bunty Aur Babli' . All the same 'Mangal Pandey - The Rising' being released with a huge number of 1000 prints all over is all set to open big but given the high distributors cost it will have to sustain for more than a couple of weeks to be dubbed a success .

'7 ½ Phere' , '...Yahaan' and 'Sehar' :- The first week collections of the three releases '7 ½ Phere','...Yahaan' and 'Sehar' confirmed what was obvious . All the three movies barely collected 0.75 crores from India and at many places they were removed from most theaters after one week .

Verdict :- '7 ½ Phere','...Yahaan' and 'Sehar' have flopped at the box-office .

'Viruddh' :- The movie drops in the second week after an ordinary first week . Though to a novice the collections in Bombay will look stable but last weeks collections were for 20 prints and this weeks 40.86 lacs are for 27 prints . The movie is stable on the lower in overseas with UK being better than US .

Second week collections :-

Bombay - 40,86,473 from 27 cinemas (2 unrecd.) , total for 2 weeks 94,18,869

Thane district - 7,15,697 from 4 cinemas (5 on F.H.)

Ahmedabad - 16,15,229 from 10 cinemas

Jamnagar - 1,58,320

Bhavnagar(20 shows) - 1,03,910

Pune - 8,20,959 from 6 cinemas

Solapur - 36,823 from 2 cinemas ( 1 in matinee)

Nasik - 1,57,762 from 2 cinemas

Delhi - 27,33,188 from 13 cinemas

Noida (21 shows) - 4,04,119

Ghaziabad - 4,38,204 from 4 cinemas

Kanpur - 3,13,661 from 4 cinemas

Lucknow - 4,36,949 from 2 cinemas

Agra - 1,45,000

Allahabad - 50,354

Meerut - 55,997

Aligarh - 43,058

Gurgaon (East Punjab) - 4,17,327 from 2 cinemas

Faridabad (East Punjab) - 2,19,403 from 2 cinemas

Nagpur - 89,449

Amravati - 38,975

Akola - 35,415

Raipur - 64,341

Yavatmal ( week 1 ) - 27,099

Ujjain - 21,935

Jaipur - 5,65,842

Hyderabad (gross)- 4,55,174 from 2 cinemas

Calcutta - 16,34,746 from 7 cinemas

Bangalore (42 shows) - 4,93,682

Madras - 3,26,667 from 2 cinemas (1 in 7 shows unrecd.)

Second week collections: 1,67,50,758 from 104 cinemas

Two weeks total (calculated):All India 7.90 cr - 8.10 cr

Overseas - In the UK 'Viruddh' has collected about $ 386,000 and in the US $ 289,907 so far .

Verdict :- With a distributors cost slightly over 8 crores (including print and publicity) 'Viruddh' can still make it to below average or average status from India .

'Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya' :- Though there was a fall in collections the movie continues to get decent collections even in its third week and and it is now certain that 'Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya' will earn commision from most circuits with overflow from Bombay (territory) , Delhi-U.P. and East Punjab .

Third week collections :-

Bombay - 55,87,448 from 32 cinemas , total for 3 weeks 3,48,783

Thane district - 7,48,153 from 4 cinemas (6 on F.H.)

Ahmedabad - 17,67,359 from 10 cinemas (1unrecd.)

Bhavnagar (22 shows) - 1,80,000

Pune - 7,50,916 from 7 cinemas

Solapur - 1,26,350

Nasik - 2,05,500 from 2 cinemas

Delhi - 43,91,738 from 16 cinemas (3 on F.H.)

Noida - 5,70,840

Ghaziabad - 8,41,227 from 6 cinemas

Kanpur - 6,37,468 from 4 cinemas

Lucknow - 9,04,123 from 3 cinemas

Agra - 3,01,001

Allahabad - 1,37,200

Meerut - 1,56,410

Moradabad - 30,000

Bareilly 56,477 (1 unrecd.)

Aligarh - 2,64,367

Mathura - 49,000

Gurgaon (East Punjab) - 5,88,138 from 3 cinemas

Faridabad (East Punjab) - 2,42,549 from 2 cinemas

Nagpur - 3,68,871 from 2 cinemas

Jabalpur - 81,514 , total 3,64,295

Amravati - 1,32,157

Akola - 87,144

Raipur- 1,32,966

Yavatmal (2nd week ) - 39,555

Ujjain - 43,500

Jaipur - 2,31,418

Bikaner - 92,556

Ajmer (gross) - 2,90,850

Aurangabad - 2,20,707

Calcutta - 9,02,762 from 5 cinemas

Bangalore (42 shows) - 5,85,253

Madras - 4,36,521 from 4 cinemas

Third week collections : 2,22,16,138 from 122 cinemas (reported )

Three weeks total(calculated):All India 21.50 cr - 21.75 cr

Overseas - In the UK 'Maine Pyaar kyun Kiya' has collected about $ 844,000 while the US collections are not available .

Verdict :- With a distributors cost of 11.75 to 12 crores (including print and publicity) 'Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya' is a semi-hit in India and is already a hit in Bombay (territory) , Delhi-U.P. and East Punjab . It is also a good hit in UK .

'Dus' :- The movie is doing well but only in the smaller centres and in its fourth week it has collected 70,00,244 from 85 reported cinemas for a total of about 21.45 crores from India . The movies has also done very well in UK collecting about $ 550,000 so far .

Verdict :- Give the classification system we follow , based on distributors cost 'Dus' is an above average in India and quite good in UK while the US collections are not available .

'Sarkar' :- While 'Sarkar' is still doing well in Mahrashtra , its ending its run in most of India . In its fifth week the movie has collected 59,05,365 from 70 reported cinemas for a total of about 22.50 crores from India . 'Sarkar' has also collected about $ 306,000 from UK while the US collections are not available .

Verdict :- Give the classification system we follow , based on distributors cost ( including print and publicity) 'Sarkar' is already a hit in India (superhit in Bombay territory and South )and below par in overseas .
[/tscii:786b0f2d1e]

coucou
13th August 2005, 12:27 PM
[tscii:96e44759a1]Movie Review

Mangal Pandey - The Rising - An unquestionable classic
Joginder Tuteja, IndiaGlitz [Thursday, August 11, 2005]
Mother India, Mughal-E-Azam, Sholay, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Gadar, Lagaan - now add Mangal Pandey to the list of the aforementioned all time classics.

An extremely well told story of India's first cry of rebellion, 'Mangal Pandey - The Rising' shakes you up completely and makes you sit and take notice. That's because the message is simple - though there were national leaders, political parties, freedom fighters and the common men who joined hands together to get back the reins of their very own motherland, the first person to have given a though towards was a lone man - MANGAL PANDEY.

Take a bow Bobby Bedi [producer], Ketan Mehta [director], Farrukh Dhondy [writer] and Aamir Khan for coming up with this highly engrossing venture that could have had its fortunes tilted in either direction. Thankfully due to tout execution, excellent research and thoroughly convincing portrayal of the legend, 'Mangal Pandey' comes out from the history and fables as a flesh and blood character who could be just one of us.

The movie catches your attention from the very first frame of the movie when Mangal Pandey's hanging by the army of East India Company is postponed due to backing out of a hangman. He stays on to live for a few more days and in the meanwhile his superior and friend Captain Gordon [Toby Stephens] takes the viewers a few years back in time.

It was the time when Mangal, one of the many sepoys of the 5th company, 34th Native Infantry Regiment, Barrackpore, saved the life of Gordon in a fierce battle in Afghanistan, hence setting up the ground for strong friendship and loyalty. A friendship, that both of them thought would be everlasting, only to see it being challenged at a later time. Though Mangal was never happy with the aristocracies of the Company, he still tolerated them due to his loyalty for the army.

Meanwhile the friendship between Mangal and Gordon continued to thicken with every passing day. From Gordon's own disgust with the functioning of the Company to his support for Mangal, to the saving of Jwala [Amisha Patel] who is about to be burnt as a 'sati' - everything contributed to a trusted relationship between the two young men.

But introduction of controversial gun cartridges changed it all. Made of pig and cow fat, it was required to be chewed by the troops before use, hence causing widespread resentment amongst both Hindus and Muslims.

The troops were ensured first by Colonel and then by Gordon himself that cartridges were free from any animal fat. But as soon as Mangal Pandey discovered that this was not truth, all hell broke loose. Mangal, who was the pioneer in believing the words of Gordon lost everything - his religion, trust and friendship.

This is where Mangal Pandey rose as a rebellion. Under the leadership of Khan [Mukesh Tiwari] from Berhampore regiment, he and his fellow men gave the army their first setback when they refused to use the cartridges and in the process also rebelled to loot the arms and ammunition. The news of this rebellion spread all over the country with rulers like Nana Saheb, Tantia Tope, Bahadur Shah Zafar and Rani Laxmibai joining the first war of independence in 1857 that paved the way for the future!

Ketan comes up with a great dramatic adaptation with painstakingly delicate details about the India of the 19th century. The town, its streets, culture, costumes, body langauge, language, untouchables, 'sati-pratha', celebrations, festivals, brothels, arms - everything has been detailed out exceptionally well that takes you back in time.

The best part of the movie is that it never once sermonizes. Neither does it go overboard on the spirit of 'deshbhakti' or 'azaadi'. It talks to the point and raises one simple point about being united and to stop serving the oppressors.

The script is fool proof for majority of the movie inspite of non-availability of a single source. Ditto for the screenplay that bounds you throughout the 3 hrs duration. Barring the song and dance sequences [Rasiya, Dekho Aayi Holi were completely avoidable] and a couple of romantic scenes, the movie completely engaging. Background music [A.R.Rehman] is apt for the movie as it enhances the appeal of dramatic scenes [which are aplenty]. The 'sutradhar' number 'Mangal Mangal' that comes in at the high points of the narrative etches in your memory forever.
War sequences, especially the first one set in Afghanistan, have a grandeur appeal with good effort gone in understanding the arms, ammunitions and their sound. Himman Dhamija's cinematography is glossy and striking. Dialogues are fiery at a number of places with the best being reserved for Aamir and Toby. In fact, all the scenes with the two powerhouse performers on the screen work wonderfully well as they are high on drama and emotions.

The maximum effort in the movie has gone into fleshing out the two principal characters in the movie - Mangal Pandey and Gordon. One is in fact pleasantly surprised to see an almost equal footage for Toby Stephens who is just brilliant throughout his movie. He is quite likeable as a man torn between friendship and loyalty to the army and enacts his scenes with élan. The best part if his dialogue delivery [90% of which is in Hindi] which is not just near-perfect but also carry good emotional variation. If there is any actor who matches Aamir at every step, it is him. Just watch out for his final outburst during Mangal's court-martial and you would know why!

As expected Aamir Khan is highly convincing as the great martyr and brings along the legend alive. His body language and an overall persona is apt for the character and he can undoubtedly place the movie right UP there in his profile. Mukesh Tiwari comes up with yet another reliable performer.

Less said about the presence of the female actors in the movie, the better. While Rani Mukherjee gets 2 songs and 4 scenes, the case of Amisha Patel is worse with total onscreen time not more than 10 mins. Kirron Khar is wasted while Varsha Usgaonkar [as Jhansi Ki Rani] is there for 3 seconds to deliver one line!

After watching 'Mangal Pandey', one can just not imagine anyone other than Aamir Khan. The movie reaffirms that the actor's choice in a subject rarely goes wrong. Ketan Mehta comes up with a final product that satisfies a moviegoer completely with no complaints whatsoever.

For a movie for which promotion began just about a month back, it’s amazing to see how it has created such hysteria all over with the best ever first day. With an increased number of shows, high admission rates and great word of mouth publicity, the movie is bound to create records all over and turn into a money spinning blockbuster for everyone involved.

Rating: ****
[/b][/tscii:96e44759a1]

vijayr
13th August 2005, 02:01 PM
Seems like Rahman continues to deliver in Hindi. After Lagaan and Swades, BGM seems to be the focus in Rising too.Unfortunately in TFM, he gets to work with losers like Surya. If Rising does well it will be a well deserved hit for Rahman, who has seen some of his better efforts wasted on films that were either BO duds or remain unreleased (what happend to Water?)

Jacky
13th August 2005, 03:06 PM
For Water ARR has done only the songs, BGM is by someone else. He claims to have backed out (from scoring bgm) after the project raised some controversies.

Observer_Is_Back
13th August 2005, 08:46 PM
Seems like Rahman continues to deliver in Hindi. After Lagaan and Swades, BGM seems to be the focus in Rising too.Unfortunately in TFM, he gets to work with losers like Surya. If Rising does well it will be a well deserved hit for Rahman, who has seen some of his better efforts wasted on films that were either BO duds or remain unreleased (what happend to Water?)

I'm afraid we once again find ourselves in opposite camps on the topic. If Rising does well, it's by no means a well-deserved hit for Rahman. How can it be when almost to a man (or woman) reviewers of both the music and movie have pronounced the songs to be disappointing, incongruous, speed-breakers etc.? To squeak through to a "technical" success on Aamir's coattails, or on the BO-performance of the movie is, in my opinion, just pathetic. This type of evaluation means that there can no such thing as a failure at all - no one can ever fail. If we want to retain some notion of the categories of "failure" and "success", then surely we must accept that to get the kind of reactions that the Rising soundtrack is getting is to fail. If this is acknowledged, it can be a spur to better design period soundtracks, an opportunity for learning, but without that acceptance further failures are inevitable. Please note that, as I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I don't regard Rahman as being the sole reason for the relative mediocrity of the Rising album; Ketan Mehta and the nature of the project also have something to do with it.

I also disagree that Surya is a "loser". Obviously in commercial terms he's no loser; he's doing amazingly well, and if the trailers of "Aa aah" are anything to go by he's got another winner here. Your opinion I imagine stems from a dislike of the risque content of his films, but the way I see it he's keeping Rahman's commercial instincts alive. Without these instincts Rahman's career is likely to evaporate into thin air as aggressive competitors in TFM as well as HFM steal the hearts of critics and audiences alike.

nilavupriyan
13th August 2005, 09:09 PM

I'm afraid we once again find ourselves in opposite camps on the topic. If Rising does well, it's by no means a well-deserved hit for Rahman. How can it be when almost to a man (or woman) reviewers of both the music and movie have pronounced the songs to be disappointing, incongruous, speed-breakers etc.? To squeak through to a "technical" success on Aamir's coattails, or on the BO-performance of the movie is, in my opinion, just pathetic. This type of evaluation means that there can no such thing as a failure at all - no one can ever fail. If we want to retain some notion of the categories of "failure" and "success", then surely we must accept that to get the kind of reactions that the Rising soundtrack is getting is to fail. If this is acknowledged, it can be a spur to better design period soundtracks, an opportunity for learning, but without that acceptance further failures are inevitable. Please note that, as I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I don't regard Rahman as being the sole reason for the relative mediocrity of the Rising album; Ketan Mehta and the nature of the project also have something to do with it.

I also disagree that Surya is a "loser". Obviously in commercial terms he's no loser; he's doing amazingly well, and if the trailers of "Aa aah" are anything to go by he's got another winner here. Your opinion I imagine stems from a dislike of the risque content of his films, but the way I see it he's keeping Rahman's commercial instincts alive. Without these instincts Rahman's career is likely to evaporate into thin air as aggressive competitors in TFM as well as HFM steal the hearts of critics and audiences alike.

really i liked ur review

dinesh2002
13th August 2005, 09:30 PM
adadadadada......i didint know many r so happy when RISING gets a bad review!!....esp when the film has ARR in it..... yabba...poithe unggal velaiye parunge paa....

Vysar
13th August 2005, 10:02 PM
Aah Aaah porno movie is in trouble...

http://www.kumudam.com/reporter/140805/pg2.php

vijayr
14th August 2005, 01:32 AM
"If Rising does well, it's by no means a well-deserved hit for Rahman. How can it be when almost to a man (or woman) reviewers of both the music and movie have pronounced the songs to be disappointing, incongruous, speed-breakers etc."

Observer_is_back, if the songs are speedbreakers then it is the director's fault not Rahman's. And to a man everyone has praised the background score which is equally important in a period film. By my own yardsticks 2 songs were definitely good in this album.And how many of these reviewers are musically qualified anyways to comment on the song? I havent read a single technical review of the album. I dont think their opinion is any more valid than any genuine music lover in the DF. Looks like most of these reviewers expected another album with peppy songs like Lagaan. I have some news for them, Rising is not Lagaan.Different scenarios, different directors. Looks like the movie didnt even need songs in the first place and songs were forced in. To Rahman's credit he has given a couple of hummable songs in this scenario.(And IMO, Lagaan itself is a bit overrated. There are better numbers from Rahman in other HFM albums)

"To squeak through to a "technical" success on Aamir's coattails, or on the BO-performance of the movie is, in my opinion, just pathetic. This type of evaluation means that there can no such thing as a failure at all - no one can ever fail."

You sound like you almost want Rising to fail, both the songs and movies :-))

Its not pathetic, especially when some of Rahman's better musical efforts have gone unrecognized because the films were "arty"(like Tehzeeb, Meenaxi) or werent commercially viable projects. So I dont mind his music getting some publicity because of the movie doing well. In fact thats what happening to VS or YSR in TFM. All of their albums that have done well commercially would have been because the movies have done well.Boys and AyudhaE did well in terms of music sales even though the movies were flops. Can you point a single album of YSR or HJ where the movie was a flop and yet the songs did well? None. Now THAT is what is truly pathetic. (Bose's music was unanimously praised by the reviewers whose opinions you depend on, and yet the album would have gained even more recognition if the movie had done well) So Rahman getting a little payback through Rising is perfectly acceptable to me, if it happens that is. And its not like Rahman did nothing for Rising. The same reviewers whose opinion you depend on have praised the background score unanimously. Thats important too in a period piece.

MADDY
14th August 2005, 01:59 AM
Observer_is_back, according to ur arguement then wat role did IR have in success of ramana???critics then acclaimed ramana's success to IR as well......though vanaville was a gud song it was a hindrance to the flow of ramana.......moreover Ramana had a gr8 storyline and screeenplay.....so do u agree that IR had no part in that success, then i do not have any qualms in agreeing that ARR has no part in success of mangal pandey.......

MumbaiRamki
14th August 2005, 03:52 AM
Well ,without comparing anything to ARR ...
Ramana success had some contribution from IR in terms of music ..The importance of the situation is shown effectively by Visuals ,then BGM ...

njv
14th August 2005, 05:16 AM
Observer_is_back

BGM adds value to the movie. There is no question. Think about Azhagi, remove BGM and see. Think about Pithamagan, remove BGM and see. Virumandi, Devar Magan and I can point thousand more movies. See Nayagan and remove the "Thenpandi seemayilae" BGM and see the movie and you will throw the movie in garbage.

Likewise ARR did a wonderful job in BGM for Rising and many movies. BGM is a part of the movie. Otherwise, why would we need BGM. It just bring the feeling to you.

I have been telling ever since I listened to Rising audio that this is probably the BEST BGM done by ARR so far and from the reviews so far, it seems to be true.

I am sure if Rising would have been a flop, you will blame ARR for not doing a BGM. Likewise, if Rising is a hit, you should accept the fact that Rahman did a fabulous job.

Observer_Is_Back
14th August 2005, 06:41 AM
"Observer_is_back, if the songs are speedbreakers then it is the director's fault not Rahman's. And to a man everyone has praised the background score which is equally important in a period film. "

I did lay some blame at Mehta's door if you recall, but I seriously doubt that viewers would have complained about the songs had they all been masterpieces. Music, propelled by enough inspiration/genius, will create its own logic within the narrative space. And your argument about background score sounds suspiciously like those IR fans who, having lost the battle for supremacy in the arena of songs, have shifted the debate to BGM. In any case, some reviewers have made positive mention of the Rising BGM, most have ignored it. Of course, you could argue that its invisibility is its main virtue :-).

"By my own yardsticks 2 songs were definitely good in this album."

You seem to be implying that yours are the only yardsticks that count :-).

"And how many of these reviewers are musically qualified anyways to comment on the song? I havent read a single technical review of the album. I dont think their opinion is any more valid than any genuine music lover in the DF. "

Rahman didn't need highly qualified music-experts to become a legend in his own time, why does he suddenly need them now? It's a mistake to sneer at "uneducated" listeners who might be unable to articulate their feelings in the currently accepted jargon, but carry around half-consciously vast libraries of song-knowledge in their heads, all of which go to inform their tastes. For all their raag-peppered language, "technical" reviewers are no more capable of truly fathoming the deep sources of their own feelings.

"Looks like most of these reviewers expected another album with peppy songs like Lagaan. I have some news for them, Rising is not Lagaan.Different scenarios, different directors."

Difference is fine; it's the lack of an epic quality, the lack of layers, depth and seriousness in the compositions that's the problem. All of these qualities are present in the title song, and that's the one that has gotten the lion's share of whatever praise the songs have received. Once again, I have said before and say it again that an important part of the problem is that Mehta is no Ghai or SLB, and these are the makers that have set audience expectations in recent times, musically speaking.

"You sound like you almost want Rising to fail, both the songs and movies :-)) "

Well, given the drubbing administered to the songs by all and sundry, the album is a failure, period. Movie, I don't know and don't really care.

I imagine you're deliberately misunderstanding my words for purposes of humor, but I was making a larger point about judgment criteria. If one sees the highest-profile album this year, from a movie featuring one of the country's biggest stars, going on to chart weakly, if not disastrously, being largely reviled before and after the movie's release - if one can't call this a failure, then what can one call a failure, I ask? No shared journey can happen without agreed-upon meanings of "north", "south" and so on. Without some agreement on what constitutes a failure, we can have no true successes either. Little satisfaction can be taken from audience-appreciation for an album, when one has already thoroughly discredited the same audience.

"In fact thats what happening to VS or YSR in TFM. All of their albums that have done well commercially would have been because the movies have done well.Boys and AyudhaE did well in terms of music sales even though the movies were flops. Can you point a single album of YSR or HJ where the movie was a flop and yet the songs did well? None. Now THAT is what is truly pathetic."

How do you know that the music in these cases was not a contributory factor in the success of the movies? I certainly remember some recent scores of YSR being hailed as successful before the movie's release - Raam, for example, off the top of my head.

Unfortunately, we don't have official figures on music sales in regional markets, but I can assure you that in HFM, flops like Musafir, Dus (here the movie is average, but the music has been spectacularly successful), Lucky (music is still selling though movie has disappeared) and so on have registered massive sales. Even Rahman's Meenaxi did quite well.

"The same reviewers whose opinion you depend on have praised the background score unanimously. Thats important too in a period piece."

Unanimously? That's an indiscreet word. I've read scores of reviews in the past few days, and seen maybe 2 mentions of the BGM. But that's alright, my case is against the songs. And here I must say that I object to your "reviewers whose opinion you depend on" accusation, which you repeat too often for comfort. I see you attempting to score a point there of some sort. I suppose something to the effect that we poor musically-ignorant, unwashed masses can't get by in the aesthetic realm without leaning on the opinions of experts. Presumably ARR-fans are exempt from this, being in possession of some highly esoteric musical knowledge directly gifted by God.

Let's not insult each other's intelligence by playing that game. I mention the opinion of "critics" simply because that is one immediately available and confirmable source of information we have on what audiences are thinking. I don't necessarily place them "above" the lay-public. And I care about this access to other minds just about as much as, I believe, Rahman himself should, and no more. To reject this vital feedback and retreat to an ivory tower full of one's own superiority is the kiss of death. It's the sort of career-fate that one sees in IR, Naushad and others, particularly those considered the geniuses of their time.

Observer_Is_Back
14th August 2005, 07:22 AM
Observer_is_back, according to ur arguement then wat role did IR have in success of ramana???critics then acclaimed ramana's success to IR as well......though vanaville was a gud song it was a hindrance to the flow of ramana.......moreover Ramana had a gr8 storyline and screeenplay.....so do u agree that IR had no part in that success, then i do not have any qualms in agreeing that ARR has no part in success of mangal pandey.......

Sigh! Maddy, this is not an IRvsARR argument, please don't seek to make it so. IR has done genius work, and so has ARR. This is about negotiating some shareable way of assessing the quality of albums, of Rahman's recent albums in particular. What are the masterpieces and why? What are the disappointments and why? This is what I hope our conversation could be about without bringing tiresome fan-politics into an already insanely complicated topic.

Reg. Ramana, of course this movie was hugely successful in other languages without IR's music, so I have no qualms in eliminating IR from the equation. If some reviewers praised it, I'm sure others were impatient with it, in any case the music was hardly a chartbuster in TN. The point here is that with Mangal we've close-to-unanimous rejection of the songs.

Personally speaking, I've not listened to IR's output in years now, the reason being that my musical tastes have evolved many light-years beyond where IR is now, and Rahman was one of the key factors in that evolution. I say this without any offence intended towards IR-fans. For those who haven't taken a similar evolutionary journey I'm sure IR continues to inform and delight. For all I know there might be some sort of evolution going on even in IR's music over the last decade, I just can't be bothered to check.

Jacky
14th August 2005, 10:34 AM
So far none of the reviewers have taken the pain to ask Mehta or Aamir or Rahman about the lack of richness in some songs. Some reviews from UK have mentioned that "interludes are not heavy and jarring" sounding a sigh of relief. Probably the crew insisted Rahman to give music as it sounds now. Probably the makers wanted to have better crossover appeal by compromising the richness in Indian folk. None of them seem to admit it now (for the fear of being ridiculed by the press later) but their actions are revealing! Why take this film to Cannes and Locarno? Why have an English version and release it with 100 prints in UK? Until someone clears the mist, to me Rahman will stand absolved.

MrJudge
14th August 2005, 12:35 PM
In fact thats what happening to VS or YSR in TFM. All of their albums that have done well commercially would have been because the movies have done well.Boys and AyudhaE did well in terms of music sales even though the movies were flops.

First I don't think Boys and AE did well in cassette sales. For the salary he is getting and considering the combination(shankar and mani), both albums should have done better than what they did. But that did not happen. Rahman was not the only reason for his albums' sales, it's more about the dir-md combo. Otherwsie his udaya, E20U18 should not have failed. He always rides with big banners, directors, and vairamuthu. Prove me wrong.

Can you point a single album of YSR or HJ where the movie was a flop and yet the songs did well? None. Now THAT is what is truly pathetic.

I am wondered why you left VS from your list. I know you have a soft corner for him :) YSR and HJ work with new comers. Obviously people will not go blind and buy their CDs. At the same time, bad songs will not sell even if the movies run. So both movies and albums help each other. Tell me one album by YSR and HJ which is so bad that was a hit just because of the movie.

Sorry for the digression. it is better to move this discussion to appropriate thread.

nilavupriyan
14th August 2005, 01:36 PM
In fact thats what happening to VS or YSR in TFM. All of their albums that have done well commercially would have been because the movies have done well.Boys and AyudhaE did well in terms of music sales even though the movies were flops.

First I don't think Boys and AE did well in cassette sales. For the salary he is getting and considering the combination(shankar and mani), both albums should have done better than what they did. But that did not happen. Rahman was not the only reason for his albums' sales, it's more about the dir-md combo. Otherwsie his udaya, E20U18 should not have failed. He always rides with big banners, directors, and vairamuthu. Prove me wrong.

Can you point a single album of YSR or HJ where the movie was a flop and yet the songs did well? None. Now THAT is what is truly pathetic.

I am wondered why you left VS from your list. I know you have a soft corner for him :) YSR and HJ work with new comers. Obviously people will not go blind and buy their CDs. At the same time, bad songs will not sell even if the movies run. So both movies and albums help each other. Tell me one album by YSR and HJ which is so bad that was a hit just because of the movie.

Sorry for the digression. it is better to move this discussion to appropriate thread.

infact aridhum ariyamalum,thulluvadho ilamai reached people first of all becoz of good music.....as the director and actors are new.

thulluvado ilamai songs were super hit one year before the film has released .

coucou
14th August 2005, 03:15 PM

YOU SHOULD READ IT
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/12082005-6.shtml

A R Rehman a short cut to the Oscars?

After an interval, A R Rehman is again composing music for a Hindi film 'Khazan' produced and directed by Tanvir Ahmed. The film aims to make it to the Oscars.

A mix of sex and crime, with a bit of Hitchcock thrown in, the film is to be shot mostly in the Kottayam area of Kerala. The rest of the film is to be shot in Goa.

This month, 'Mangal Pandey' is being released. It has music composed by A R Rehman. For the past 4 years, Aamir Khan has not worked in any other film but 'Mangal Pandey.' One could say that his 'Lagaan' barely missed winning an Oscar. So Aamir is all the more determined to win an Oscar this time at least.

One important reason for 'Lagaan' getting near an Oscar is the music by Rehman. To get an Oscar nomination, one needs to give proper film publicity to the jury members. For 'Lagaan,' Aamir Khan spent an astronomical sum for publicity purposes.

If A R Rehman's music makes a film a contender for the Oscars, then anyone aiming for the Oscars, makes a beeline for A R Rehman.

We are indeed proud that Bollywood thinks our A R Rehman is a short cut to the Oscars!

MADDY
14th August 2005, 03:50 PM
Boys was a record breaking album mr.judge....i dunt know how many births it will take u to realise it.......and this old dying ARR has beaten the hell out of "prince" YSR now with Aa Aah selling 10 times more than Dass and OKK combined.....now what was the combo here-a ugly looking s.j.suryah and a old tasteless ARR........YSR cannot even handle this weak combo....wat a shame for him and his fans..........maha thundu for YSR :lol: .........

If mangal pandey is a hit it surely has ARR attached to it for the simple reason that people like mr.judge account failure of KKS,Udaya,Swades to ARR then y cant we account success of mangal pandey to ARR as well.........

dinesh2002
14th August 2005, 03:51 PM
[tscii:c3b1254ba3]“Boys" audio revives the music industry!

Friday, 25 July , 2003, 11:56

By Moviebuzz
As rumours are making the rounds that director Shankar and A.R.Rahman have split, the audio of Boys are chartbusters and have revived the audio industry.

A spokesperson of Star Music Audio company told Sify.com: “The audio of Boys is doing amazing business. We had initially ordered for 60,000 casettes but within 20 days we have already sold over 1, 50, 000 cassettes and CD’s!”

Suddenly Boys has become the largest selling cassette in the last two years and may change the fortunes of the music industry. And once the film releases, the sales are sure to go up. The numbers in the album like “Dating”, “Boyfriend”, and “Boom Boom” are already on the lips of the youngsters.

Three cheers to that great Shankar- Rahman combination. Lets hope that they shake hands and make up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and give us more peppy chartbusters in future.

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13208728

Lately after Anniyan release,i manage to get a news that untill now,BOYS is the highest selling album and even Anniyan or AE couldnt beat it!!! if anyone close to Star Music,please check it out and tell us here too![/tscii:c3b1254ba3]

MADDY
14th August 2005, 04:14 PM
Sorry for the disgression:

DUNT MISS SWADES ON STAR GOLD AT 1:00 PM ON 15TH OF AUGUST......DO YOU HAVE A MOHAN BHARGAV IN YOU????

End disgression....

njv
14th August 2005, 04:45 PM
Personally speaking, I've not listened to IR's output in years now, the reason being that my musical tastes have evolved many light-years beyond where IR is now, and Rahman was one of the key factors in that evolution. I say this without any offence intended towards IR-fans. For those who haven't taken a similar evolutionary journey I'm sure IR continues to inform and delight. For all I know there might be some sort of evolution going on even in IR's music over the last decade, I just can't be bothered to check.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrJudge
14th August 2005, 06:31 PM
[tscii:3aabc11545]
I
A R Rehman a short cut to the Oscars?

One important reason for 'Lagaan' getting near an Oscar is the music by Rehman. To get an Oscar nomination, one needs to give proper film publicity to the jury members. For 'Lagaan,' Aamir Khan spent an astronomical sum for publicity purposes.

Are we discussing how to reach Oscars here?

Boys was a record breaking album mr.judge....i dunt know how many births it will take u to realise it.......and this old dying ARR has beaten the hell out of "prince" YSR now with Aa Aah selling 10 times more than Dass and OKK combined.....now what was the combo here-a ugly looking s.j.suryah and a old tasteless ARR........YSR cannot even handle this weak combo....wat a shame for him and his fans..........maha thundu for YSR :lol:

I agree Dass album failed but it was released way before A..Ah released.. Now Dass movie is doing ok business at the BO. Wait for OKK movie release, the album will surely pick up and the movie will do better than A..Ah. A..ah will get a thundu as usual and be beaten at the BO...wait and watch. Thundu kodukkarauthunna athu oruthar thaan :lol:

b]“Boys" audio revives the music industry! [/b]

If that was the case, why the same BOys audio company did not come forward to release AE. Sony intervened and brought out the album because there were no takers. Hey, even sony was not interested because of heavy loss incurred from his KM album. [/tscii:3aabc11545]

dinesh2002
14th August 2005, 07:09 PM
[tscii:d96ac94c4b]

b]“Boys" audio revives the music industry! [/b]

If that was the case, why the same BOys audio company did not come forward to release AE. Sony intervened and brought out the album because there were no takers. Hey, even sony was not interested because of heavy loss incurred from his KM album. [/tscii:d96ac94c4b]

Dai naate aamai. SOny is an international company unlike Star music,which is only TN based!!! AE beeing under Sony is a plus point & not a minus point...ok va...and my dear naate aamai, KM was by TIPS...this shows ur finding fault in ARR and not talking base on facts..ur out MACHI!!!!! what??Sony took AE coz it has no takers?? what crap la machi....Sony must have offered the highest price for buying the rights that y they sold AE audio rights to them....and even IF AE has no takers...why,does SONY,the international company must take up an Tamil album??? Yosida,Yosi! and dont forget....AH Aah is by Star music!!!

when u saying KM is by Sony,this prooves ur not qualified to be in the discusion coz ur very very biased ! ur not speaking on facts...man...next time...get ur facts & post!!!

MrJudge
14th August 2005, 07:31 PM
[tscii:1cd66be841]
Dai naate aamai. SOny is an international company unlike Star music,which is only TN based!!! AE beeing under Sony is a plus point & not a minus point...ok va...and my dear naate aamai, KM was by TIPS...this shows ur finding fault in ARR and not talking base on facts..ur out MACHI!!!!! what??Sony took AE coz it has no takers?? what crap la machi....Sony must have offered the highest price for buying the rights that y they sold AE audio rights to them....and even IF AE has no takers...why,does SONY,the international company must take up an Tamil album??? Yosida,Yosi! and dont forget....AH Aah is by Star music!!!

when u saying KM is by Sony,this prooves ur not qualified to be in the discusion coz ur very very biased ! ur not speaking on facts...man...next time...get ur facts & post!!!

Dear DumbDinesh,

There was a typo in my message. Sorry for that. It was KV not KM, to be clear Kathal virus I was talking about.

Read this

-------------------------------------

Sony saves Rahman again!
By Moviebuzz
Wednesday, 10 March , 2004, 10:31

The audio of Mani Ratnam’s Ayutha Ezhuthu has been purchased by Sony audio saving Rahman from further blushes. The music launch will take place on March 14 in Chennai.

Remember the Hindi version Yuva was sold for Rs 3 Crore to Venus, which also includes the Indian DVD rights. There were simply no takers for the Tamil audio at Mani’s and Rahman’s quoted price. So Sony has stepped in and purchased the audio for a rumoured rock bottom price!

Last time Mani-Rahman combination Kannathil Muthamittal was purchased by Tips for Rs 80 Lakhs. But Tips had to wind up their Chennai operations after both the album and the film crashed.

Similarly more than a year back when Sony debuted in Tamil with Kathal Virus, the audio bombed so badly that they had vowed never to make a comeback to Chennai. But as they are international promoters of A.R.Rahman and Bombay Dreams they were forced to save him from the embarrassment in his home turf.

-----------------------

hahhaha... I like to end this discussion here... I am sure you know all facts very well. Anyway I am not interested to prove that your king bites the dust these days. You will know the reality later if not now.

BTW, A ah... is released by Five star not Star music..HOpe you also get your facts right.. :lol: [/tscii:1cd66be841]

dinesh2002
14th August 2005, 07:50 PM
dear dumb-naateaamai...
wow...ur concertratin on ARR alloot more than IR huh...hahaha...that also u only see the bad part of ARR.....hahaha...thats a great achievment by ARR already, making the IR fans jelouse of him & keep track on him soo that they can find faults in him...wow...he somehow pulled u away from IR already huh!!! :wink:

,nvm KM...KM already won Best Music for National Award...so u can only say the music is a flop,but u cannot say the music is bad! :wink:

Jacky
14th August 2005, 07:58 PM
Cool down ppl this is Rising Thread! :shock:

Nattamai, can you move your queries elsewhere and get answers! :wink:

dinesh2002
14th August 2005, 08:02 PM
Cool down ppl this is Rising Thread! :shock:

Nattamai, can you move your queries elsewhere and get answers! :wink:

as we all know..naate aamai has no better work to do than coming & doing pombelai work in ARR forums :P

Jacky
14th August 2005, 08:44 PM
A change of venue is desirable. These topics are best discussed in his blog! :lol:

Observer_Is_Back
14th August 2005, 09:45 PM

Care to explain the reason for your hilarity? I'd like to share it too :-).

Observer_Is_Back
14th August 2005, 09:48 PM

infact aridhum ariyamalum,thulluvadho ilamai reached people first of all becoz of good music.....as the director and actors are new.

thulluvado ilamai songs were super hit one year before the film has released .

Thanks for the factual assist Nilavupriyan, my memory's no match for yours!

njv
14th August 2005, 10:12 PM

Sure, I would love to, but explain your "evolution" first, cuz thats the word that got my "hilarity"

nilavupriyan
14th August 2005, 10:23 PM

Sure, I would love to, but explain your "evolution" first, cuz thats the word that got my "hilarity"

evolution means the change from one stage to other..anything funny?

MrJudge
14th August 2005, 10:23 PM
A change of venue is desirable. These topics are best discussed in his blog! :lol:

:lol: I already posted in my message to move these messages off the thread. All happened because of vijayr bringing YSR and HJ into this thread.

Message to my friend dumbdinesh: Anyway I like to discuss this with you man.. You can mail me!

Now back to "The falling" ooops.."The rising"!

njv
14th August 2005, 10:40 PM

Well, right, but evolution usually means a change from one stage to a more complex or better stage.

Recently ARR said that he is tired of using synth instruments and started to use natural instruments, a practice that IR has been doing from 1972 (or probably before) and still practicing. It takes a good ear to understand what an MD is trying to communicate in a music. If Observer is not getting it, then he is not an Observer.

nilavupriyan
14th August 2005, 10:49 PM

Well, right, but evolution usually means a change from one stage to a more complex or better stage.

Recently ARR said that he is tired of using synth instruments and started to use natural instruments, a practice that IR has been doing from 1972 (or probably before) and still practicing. It takes a good ear to understand what an MD is trying to communicate in a music. If Observer is not getting it, then he is not an Observer.

so do u say usage of natural instruments by arr is an evolution....which in means a betterment...............it means that ir has always been in the better stage than arr as he have used natural intruments through out his musical career.

vijayr
15th August 2005, 04:38 AM
"Rahman didn't need highly qualified music-experts to become a legend in his own time, why does he suddenly need them now?"

Observer_is_back, true he doesnt need their opinions. You are the one who seem to be going by some of their opinions. My point is, based on how some of his recent efforts like Bose(which was praised by all the online reviewers whose opinions you rely on and by yourself in some thread) didnt quite get their due attention, I said I wouldnt mind Rahman getting some attention due to Rising doing well. Its just my individual prefernce/opinion. You seem to think that Rahman should'nt get any credit at all. That's fine with me.

"Well, given the drubbing administered to the songs by all and sundry, the album is a failure, period."

I didnt see any drubbing. Some of the reviewers were constantly comparing this to Lagaan and thats their own problem. Each album has to be jidged on the basis of its own merit. Lagaan didnt have any such problems because it was one of the first period films of its kind from Rahman. The reviews I have read havent dismissed this album as a failure, its just that they all expected something different.

Most of the reviews like this one have ended on a positive note
http://www.webindia123.com/movie/music/therising.htm

"Though "Mangal Pandey" lacks the driven passion of "The Legend Of Bhagat Singh" or the melodic felicity of "Zubeida", it nonetheless stretches if not extends the composer's parameters as a music maker."

or
http://www.bollyvista.com/article/a/31/5281/5/

the above reviews it extensively and claims that Rising will have better commericial success. It even raves about some of the songs

As you can see,even amongst reviewers, opinions differ. Some reviewers didnt like Tehzeeb as they missed the usual rhythms and grooves. I loved the album.And I still think Lagaan as a music album is slightly over-rated. Lagaan isnt Rahman's best. Its probably his best commercially in Hindi.

It just looks like you didnt like the album quite that much and you are trying to validate your opinions based on the few negative reviews found online. I liked Bose and didnt think it was a good album because the so-called critics thought so nor did I think it was a bad album just because it didnt do well at the BO. I liked the album for what it was worth and used my own musical instincts to judge it.

Rising doesnt quite rise up to the level of Bose(nor did I claim that Rising was a terrific album), but all I said wasthat I wouldnt mind Rahman seeing a little success if the movie does well, as there have many instances of better albums like Bose not getting the attention they deserved because the movies didnt do well. Its a case of well deserved payback for him.Thats just my opinion/wish/prefernce . The movie has just released.We'll see how the audio does in the long run before deeming it a "failure"

vijayr
15th August 2005, 04:41 AM
" Presumably ARR-fans are exempt from this, being in possession of some highly esoteric musical knowledge directly gifted by God. "

and BTW, just FYI, I am not a staunch ARR fan or anything like that who blindly claims that Rising is a terrific album. So please take that into consideration, since you seem to be missing that point time and again in your arguments with me. I am not an ARR fan nor do I claim to possess any esoteric knowledge. But unlike you, I dont try to validate my opinions based on the box office success/failure of songs or by the reviews of online critics whose opinions(barring very few exceptions) are'nt any more musically valid than mine, yours or any other TFM DFer.

vijayr
15th August 2005, 04:58 AM
"First I don't think Boys and AE did well in cassette sales"

Nilavupriyan, Boys was a huge hit. It was at the top of CD sales for quite some time. So is the case with Ayudha ezhuthu. If it wasnt an even bigger it it was because the movies didnt do well. Same with New, no big banner, SJ Surya as hero(a dangerous experiment) and the songs were at the top even before the movies released.

"YSR and HJ work with new comers. Obviously people will not go blind and buy their CDs. At the same time, bad songs will not sell even if the movies run. So both movies and albums help each other. Tell me one album by YSR and HJ which is so bad that was a hit just because of the movie.
"

Mr. Judge, Please cut out this newcomers crap. HJ worked with Shankar who is no newcomer. He is working with Kamal next and has done movies for some big stars in the pasr.Same with YSR who is working with Selvaraghavan, has worked with Bala in the past. In the last 3 or 4 years there hasnt been a single hit by YSR where in the movie didnt factor in. And Raam is'nt any bigger a hit than Boys or Ayudha ezhuthu. It was probably at the top for a couple of weeks before the next big album and took the spot. Thats how TFM has been of late, no clear winners. Every one gets a shot at lielight for a few weeks untilo the next winner comes on. When Anniyan came on, Chandramukhi audio quickly went down. And I dont mind including Vidyasagar in the list. He is not exempt.

"At the same time, bad songs will not sell even if the movies run."

well, that explains the dozens of flops from YSR like Yethiri, Winner, Bose etc. in the last few years. Of late, YSR has been getting a little more hype since some of the movies for which he has scored has done well and hence his albums get a bit more opening than they used to. But whether they ultimately become a hit depends on the movie's fate. YSR hasnt had a single blockbuster in the range of Kaadhalan or Gentleman or Indian despite getting continued patronage and hype and getting to work with good directors. That speaks for his talent or lack of it.

"Tell me one album by YSR and HJ which is so bad that was a hit just because of the movie. "

There have been average albums(not bad albums) from HJ/YSR, that would have been flops if not for the movies.
Anniyan- music was average. Not just my opinion, but any review on the net considered it as average-to-poor. Even HJ admitted the album had a lukewarm opening but picked up after the movie released. YSR - Kaadhal Konden - 3 songs that were straight lifts and thanks to the movie the songs became popular. 7GRC was another average album. Background music was praised, but I didnt think much of it. Vidyasagar - Chandramukhi was underwhelming to say the least. Bharadwaj -Autograph -please, the guy expected a national award for this album?

I have included all currently busy TFM MDs above in my examples lest you think I am biased against anyone.

vijayr
15th August 2005, 05:04 AM
"Recently ARR said that he is tired of using synth instruments and started to use natural instruments, a practice that IR has been doing from 1972 (or probably before) and still practicing. It takes a good ear to understand what an MD is trying to communicate in a music. If Observer is not getting it, then he is not an Observer."

njv, good point. The funny thing is Observer seems to think that the current music of YSR/HJ/VS etc. is some "evolved form" of TFM when we all know that they have been just reusing popular music idioms pioneered by IR/ARR and just mixing and matching it in different proportions. And in YSR's case it is literally (re)mixing, as he butchers atleast one song composed by his father in every other album of his.

IsaiRasigan
15th August 2005, 10:01 AM
"Dear DumbDinesh"....this is so funny.....hahaha

Movies
15th August 2005, 10:21 AM
Vijayr,

BRAVO!

Absolutely perfect reply... replies infact. Youve just said them perfectly with a bang!

The Best and most sensible post ive read ,in ages, on this site!

nilavupriyan
15th August 2005, 12:23 PM
"First I don't think Boys and AE did well in cassette sales"

Nilavupriyan, Boys was a huge hit. It was at the top of CD sales for quite some time. So is the case with Ayudha ezhuthu. If it wasnt an even bigger it it was because the movies didnt do well. Same with New, no big banner, SJ Surya as hero(a dangerous experiment) and the songs were at the top even before the movies released.

heyyy......i didnt mention anything about boys!!!!i knew boys music was a huge hit ad i liked the music too

dinesh2002
15th August 2005, 04:41 PM
"Dear DumbDinesh"....this is so funny.....hahaha

i too found it funny... :wink: :lol:

MADDY
15th August 2005, 05:12 PM
i dunno, but even i faced it.....IR fans used to call me Mad Maddy.....i dunno who gave them the right to speak abt us like this....it is always ARR fans get named like this....pretty shameless on ppl. resorting to name-calling.......

dinesh2002
15th August 2005, 06:44 PM
i dunno, but even i faced it.....IR fans used to call me Mad Maddy.....i dunno who gave them the right to speak abt us like this....it is always ARR fans get named like this....pretty shameless on ppl. resorting to name-calling.......

hahahaa..yea maddy,coz they cant attack us with facts,coz they know what they r telling us makes no sense,so they use this names to attack us personally...anywayz...no use taking it serious on dogs if they bark rite?;)

but guys...i seriously didint find RISING a mindblowing album....it was just an OK for ARR standard....Its never in the same line as Lagaan,TLOBS,Zubeida,1947 earth,One 2 Ka 4,Tehzeeb, Meenaxi...im sure in RISING the BGM is where ARR concertrated!

alias
15th August 2005, 07:51 PM
Last night I watched The Rising finally on a big screen. When the opening credit starting rolling, I started whistiling when Aamir Khan and AR Rahman named appeared on the screen. Man, what a BGM from the greatest music director on earth. He takes the movie to a great height with his absorbing and grand music. These are some of highlight where his music arouse and takes the audience to a journey never been before.

Aamir Khan's entry. When they show his face, the BGM is so great that it makes the audience go in rapture.
When Aamir Khan declares that he is going to revolt against the British and goes never the cannon and say Fire.
When he blew the trumphet and ask his fellow sepoys to revolt.
When he fights with Toby in wrestling.

And these are just few scenes but u have to watch to feel the movie. ARR is simply the best and excellent. He has given the movie an international feel. And songs I think Mangala (final version) is a simply a treat, it gives u goose bumps and makes u feel proud to be an Indian. Mein Vari Vari is a song which makes audience go crazy. Excellent. Takey Takey, Al Madath, Rasiya, Holi are cut short and suites ok to the movie.

There are 4 heroes in the movie. Aamir Khan (the guy without whom Mangal Pandey is unthinkable), AR Rahman (the MD without whom Mangal Pandey would be incomplete), Ketan metha (without whom this movie would never been made) and last not least Farookh dandody (screenplay without which the movie would not been rocking).

ezy0265
15th August 2005, 08:37 PM
alias,

you are fantastic in exagerating to the extreme. You make it sound like only a ARR fanatic can sound. NOne of the reviews so far has made any mention to BGM even close to your claims!!!! Please try harder with some other more genuiene works....

nilavupriyan
15th August 2005, 08:41 PM
Last night I watched The Rising finally on a big screen. When the opening credit starting rolling, I started whistiling when Aamir Khan and AR Rahman named appeared on the screen. Man, what a BGM from the greatest music director on earth. He takes the movie to a great height with his absorbing and grand music. These are some of highlight where his music arouse and takes the audience to a journey never been before.

Aamir Khan's entry. When they show his face, the BGM is so great that it makes the audience go in rapture.
When Aamir Khan declares that he is going to revolt against the British and goes never the cannon and say Fire.
When he blew the trumphet and ask his fellow sepoys to revolt.
When he fights with Toby in wrestling.

And these are just few scenes but u have to watch to feel the movie. ARR is simply the best and excellent. He has given the movie an international feel. And songs I think Mangala (final version) is a simply a treat, it gives u goose bumps and makes u feel proud to be an Indian. Mein Vari Vari is a song which makes audience go crazy. Excellent. Takey Takey, Al Madath, Rasiya, Holi are cut short and suites ok to the movie.

There are 4 heroes in the movie. Aamir Khan (the guy without whom Mangal Pandey is unthinkable), AR Rahman (the MD without whom Mangal Pandey would be incomplete), Ketan metha (without whom this movie would never been made) and last not least Farookh dandody (screenplay without which the movie would not been rocking).

TOO MUCH........then how will u call beethoven,mozart...yaani(who is still alive.

alias
15th August 2005, 08:50 PM
How many reviews did you read that did not mention AR Rahman music? Read at Indiafm review, midday review and wait for other reviews. Dude, you need to watch it to feel. Yes for all you IR fans, whatever ARR does looks like an exageration. what to do?

And if Yaani is alive, who cares when the greatest musician on earth is there. NOT TOO MUCH..INFINITY MUCH IS ARR MUSIC.

nilavupriyan
15th August 2005, 09:00 PM
How many reviews did you read that did not mention AR Rahman music? Read at Indiafm review, midday review and wait for other reviews. Dude, you need to watch it to feel. Yes for all you IR fans, whatever ARR does looks like an exageration. what to do?

And if Yaani is alive, who cares when the greatest musician on earth is there. NOT TOO MUCH..INFINITY MUCH IS ARR MUSIC.

then i will say deva is better than arr.................and who cares if arr composes for "the rising"..........will u accept.

MADDY
15th August 2005, 09:24 PM
nilavu, will u stop ur kundakka-mandakka comments here.....it is natural that ARR fans call him the best MD in the world....for me he is not just the best MD but also the best person in the world....now wat do u say for this????

see, it is natural for fans to post like this......u go to IR's section, u'll find similar praises for IR.....do u try to stop them???relax mannnn, ARR is our god, u cannot change it......

alias
15th August 2005, 09:42 PM
Sure nilavu, if you accept Deva is better than IR but IR is worst than ARR.. i will :-)

nilavupriyan
15th August 2005, 09:51 PM
Sure nilavu, if you accept Deva is better than IR but IR is worst than ARR.. i will :-)

if u say arr is better than yaani...................., then i will say deva is better than arr........

why do u unnecesarily bring in ir here?cant argue on arr?cant defend him?

alias
15th August 2005, 09:59 PM
Why did you bring Deva in between Yani and ARR? Cant you defend Yani without Deva? :-)

njv
15th August 2005, 10:02 PM
Suthi Suthi ARR vs IR vs Deva vs Yaani vs HJ vs YSR vs Me vs You.Ada pongappa, enakku romba tired aayidichu.

nilavupriyan
15th August 2005, 10:05 PM
Why did you bring Deva in between Yani and ARR? Cant you defend Yani without Deva? :-)

infact i defend yaani by comparing deva with arr..................but u doesnt defend arr in ur qoute but instead compared deva with ir.???why the hell u compare deva with ir.......is it relavent?

MADDY
15th August 2005, 10:53 PM
My View on Mangal Pandey- The Rising.

There are 5 components which i felt were vital for the movie and i'll discuss them:

First Half:
The first half of the movie was a bit lack-lustre compared to the second half. It was just cementing a series of loose incidents into a common base. It however had the feel of a great film with its grandeur handling. Slowly, the characters and circumstances were displayed one by one like a pack of cards, but you were kept guessing which was the ace that the director was going to use in the second half. Main vari vari, though a gr8 song was indeed forced into first half.Patriotism is depicted mildly with scenes like Aamir beats the hell out of a English captain.

Second Half:
The second half is one of the best second halves u'll see for any movie-hollywood/bollywood. The pace that is set in second half is orgasmic. The events just zoom in front of your eyes and wham into ur brains to leave you spellbound with very grand scenes like climax scene. The scene where aamir as a lone person stands in front of the entire British batallion is as good a scene that u would have ever watched.

Aamir Khan:
Aamir khan gets another thumbs-up.The Aamir that we get to see here is agni. He is so hot with his looks,expressions in the movie which is terrific. It is the most intense aamir performance till date. He has given life to Mangal Pandey character. He gets a perfect tenner from me.

Toby Stephens:
He is the dark horse in the movie. He has done excellently well here. To say he was the hero of first half would be an understatement. He stole the limelight from Aamir in first half and you guys can realise how tough it is to rob Aamir of attention. The acting in the scene where he testifies in the court and argues "for" Mangal pandey is just amazing and he gets a standing ovation for that scene.

Ketan Mehta:
To handle Aamir khan,a hollywood actor,Rs.45 crore budget,A.R.Rahman and a lesser known subject like 1857-rising is a great task and ketan gets full credit for this. The entire movie has a war-classic feel and it also carries the aroma of Indian villages. He has really built a Mountain out of a molehill.

ARR's bgm was truly upto international standards and lifted the movie to a different level. Songs were good for the situations except holi re and main vari vari squeezed in. Rani and Amisha are mute spectators here. Farukhs screenplay was brilliant to say the least.

Folks, forget all the reviews(but not mine :D ). Mangal Pandey is a classic which will make
musicians run after ARR to keep this as a journal for BGM
historians run after Farukh to learn abt. indian history,
directors run after ketan for expertise in wielding a camera,
actors run after Aamir for shedding some light on acting,
hollywood stars run after Toby for advice on cross-over chances, and
critics like me run after dictionary to find words to describe this movie....
Go and grab ur piece of history now.....

MADDY
15th August 2005, 10:53 PM
sorry for a long post.

alias
15th August 2005, 11:12 PM
[quote=alias]Why did you bring Deva in between Yani and ARR? Cant you defend Yani without Deva? :-)

infact i defend yaani by comparing deva with arr..................but u doesnt defend arr in ur qoute but instead compared deva with ir.???why the hell u compare deva with ir.......is it relavent?[/quoteo

Dude, I had kept ARR in quotes which u failed to see. But anyway u did not answer why u brought Deva into your arguement which makes me think you think Deva belongs to the same genre as Yaani. If thats what u intend to make, then I am sorry u r totally out of scope here and i wil reiterate my point that ARR IS THE BEST MD ON EARTH AND THE PROOF IS THE RISING BGM. So if you havent watched Rising then u better watch other movies of ARR where his BGM were excellent (Legend of Bhagat Singh, Lagaan, Swades).

Cinefan
16th August 2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.idlebrain.com/research/ramblings/ramblings-mangalpandey.html

thumburu
16th August 2005, 12:59 PM
Times of India Bangalore edition has just awarded average rating for the movie. It said ARR's music is very disappointing

ezy0265
16th August 2005, 02:37 PM
thumburu,

Thats exactly what I have been observing and reading. Only people like MADDY and alias the so called true fans of ARR seems to be riding oll the hypes here in the forum, claiming the BGM to be world class.....But none of the neutral reviews have made any claims anywhere near excellent. Let these fellows dream on and imagine that they are praying to the best musician on earth.

Just look at the way MADDY has exagerated all his ratings for others' performances just so that his claim for ARR's BGM can recieve some justification. He is taking us all for fools I suppose.

The songs we all know has no way done justification for such a hyped movie, and yet we have been seeing how these fellows have been crowing all these while as if it is a world class songs composition.

These same hype is also vaguely and pathetically attempted to make Ah Ahh songs to be great composing work by ARR. Truly pathetic. We have wait for a while more for him to come up with a Dilse or Alai Paayuthey kind of standard...

Shankar
16th August 2005, 03:59 PM
>>>>>
historians run after Farukh to learn abt. indian history
<<<<<

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/15mangal.htm

keep dreaming...

Shankar
16th August 2005, 04:04 PM
maddy,
>>>>>>>>
If the long (in fact, very long) disclaimer at the beginning of the movie, claiming that the movie is in fact only inspired by certain events in Pandey's life, and that licenses have been freely taken, (like creating Toby Stephen's William Gordon, Pandey's English friend, character), is indeed taken seriously, "Mangal Pandey", the movie, even fails on that front, to script a good patriotic character's life.
<<<<<<<<<

Did you miss the titles ??

Shankar
16th August 2005, 04:06 PM
Its ok with me if someone claims the music for "the rising" is good, and "a..ah" is good...but claiming that ketan mehta and sjs are greats just bcos they use arr is...I don't know what to say...

travel time folks...gotta go....

MrJudge
16th August 2005, 04:43 PM
MADDY:

"musicians run after ARR to keep this as a journal for BGM
historians run after Farukh to learn abt. indian history,
directors run after ketan for expertise in wielding a camera,
actors run after Aamir for shedding some light on acting,
hollywood stars run after Toby for advice on cross-over chances, and
critics like me run after dictionary to find words to describe this movie...."

Looks like every body has to run somwhere/to somebody. Thank god, the theaters in India still have exits!

:lol:

Jacky
16th August 2005, 05:28 PM
A hardcore Yuvan fan spends more time in ARR threads.
Not many Dfers are running after Yuvan at the moment!
:lol:

Music4Ever
16th August 2005, 06:12 PM
"These same hype is also vaguely and pathetically attempted to make Ah Ahh songs to be great composing work by ARR. Truly pathetic. We have wait for a while more for him to come up with a Dilse or Alai Paayuthey kind of standard..."

Do you expect the same standard from your favorite MD, whoever that may be? Ah Ahh is definitely not Alai Paayuthey or Dil Se but it is still good, with three or four nice numbers. VS gives two or three good numbers in his best albums, same with HJ and Yuvan. Likewise Ah Ahh has good numbers. What more do you want for a SJS movie?

MADDY
16th August 2005, 06:44 PM
Thnx all IR-fans and YSR-fans for showing interest in this thread and my review...... :D

Shankar, ezy0265,thumburu,mr.judge- have u all watched this movie in big screen?? if so, did u do it as neutral ppl. or with the wounds of 1992??? The BGM was indeed upto international standards, claimed by rediff and sify as well..........

shankar, creating a screenplay around history is a tough job and that is y farookh gets a appreciation from me.......and Ketan mehta is indeed a good director with or w/o ARR.......and to all ARR-bashers, the SONGS WERE NOT THAT GOOD- ok vaaa but were aptly fitting for the movie's situation and preserved the earthy feel of the movie.......
some of the links which suggest mangal pandey is gonna dig deep into its critics hearts.....

http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1201471.cms

Jacky
16th August 2005, 07:02 PM
"Mangal Pandey Storms U.S.A., U.K., Australia"
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=13917753

alias
16th August 2005, 07:52 PM
Jacky, Mr Judge is a new man now. So dont shout at him. He is so bored with flop albums like OKK and KNM, that he has started listening Aa Ahah day and night and want to discuss it with us. So encourage him.

And Shankar Ji, talent is talent whether Bhartiraja has it or hard worker like SJS or Ketan Mehta has it. And talking about Ketan Mehta, what do u know about him? Do you know his films? Go and watch his old movies and then talk about this great director.

Jacky
16th August 2005, 08:04 PM
Please! I never shouted at him.
It was just a factual humor! Nattamai is an expert in fictional humor!

alias
16th August 2005, 08:29 PM
Yes Jacky...Natamai is our katchi now.. Vazhga Natamai... He raised himself from Village Panchayat to local court judge, let us raise him to high court judge :-)

alias
16th August 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi njv, Did you get a chance to watch Rising in NJ? How was the response? Tell us about it.

MADDY
17th August 2005, 05:39 AM
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117927824?categoryid=31&cs=1&s=h&p=0

western review on Mangal Pandey. Read the last line- Musical numbers by top composer A.R. Rahman are typically rhythmic rather than melodically memorable, pushing along and commenting on the action.
that's exactly wat i had said......songs r not that gr8 but preserves the feel of the movie.

the first lines say - a gorgeously lensed, well-structured audience-pleaser that harks back to classic Hollywood blockbusters of the '50s and '60s.

again my view.....nattamai,shankar,ezy0265- u made fun of my review, but my view seems to be the global view....... :D

Cinefan
17th August 2005, 10:32 AM
Another review.

http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=13917728&t=Subhash

BO verdict still unclear.

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/16box.htm

Shankar
17th August 2005, 10:48 AM
alias ayya,
>>>>>>>
And Shankar Ji, talent is talent whether Bhartiraja has it or hard worker like SJS or Ketan Mehta has it. And talking about Ketan Mehta, what do u know about him? Do you know his films? Go and watch his old movies and then talk about this great director.
<<<<<<<<

I have not seen many of his movies...But I have seen the following,
1. Mirch masala
2. Holi
3. Maya memsaab
4. aar ya paar
5. Darling yeh...
6. Hero hiralal

In that except Mirch masala, none of the movies were good...Mr.Yogi (tv serial, looked good when i was a kid, now i don't have a great opinion about it)...If you see his most recent movies, "darling..." and "aar ya..", you would definitely call him a so-so director, which is what i claimed.

dinesh2002
17th August 2005, 02:59 PM
Chennai Box-Office (Aug 12-15)

'Mangal' rises, 'Anniyan' drops at Chennai box-office this week

Finally after eight weeks at Sify's Chennai box-office, Shankar's "Anniyan" has been pushed down by Aamir Khan's "Mangal Pandey" which has emerged at the first position with a whopping Rs 24, 28,000 net share from three screens during the long four day weekend.

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13918651

Cinefan
17th August 2005, 03:59 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/17bedi.htm

Looks like Mani will do the 300 crore'Mahabharat'after all next year.

alias
17th August 2005, 06:12 PM
I think these box office pundits are trying to sabotage by calling Rising a flop. They are playing the same game as they did to Yuva. They are blaming the music and dialogues. What a crap?

Yes Shankar, I agree Aar Paar was a junk but I thought the rest was good. But he did an excellent work in Rising.

njv
17th August 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi njv, Did you get a chance to watch Rising in NJ? How was the response? Tell us about it.
I couldnt. Booked for couple of weeks. Response is mixed. Everyone loved the movie, but some ppl didnt like the songs, specially when the story was moving along very well.

It is a definite hit in USA.

njv
17th August 2005, 07:08 PM

Take my word, this will be an ABSOLUTE failure.

dinesh2002
17th August 2005, 07:29 PM

when LOTR can become a mjor hit....y Mahabharata becomes flop??r u telling us people in India cant take meaningful movies? ;)

Jacky
17th August 2005, 07:53 PM
Even the combined boxoffice power of Big B, Aamir and SRK will be nowhere near this unimaginable budget! Why take Mahabharata as film which was successful as a television serial for years? There are certainly some less popular stories in history which can be made as a movie, say a Ponniyin Selvan. At least ppl will have some curiosity to come to theatres.

alwarpet_andavan
17th August 2005, 08:27 PM

<Digression>
Man,
I thought this whole thing was a joke and now we have it from the grapevine that it might be true after all...... :)
300 cr, wow!
</Digression>

njv
17th August 2005, 08:29 PM

when LOTR can become a mjor hit....y Mahabharata becomes flop??r u telling us people in India cant take meaningful movies? ;)
Ofcourse, specially in place where Bunty And Bubly and Thirupachi rules!!! :lol:

alias
17th August 2005, 09:01 PM
I dont think Mahabarath will fail provided it is taken according to international standard. How many non-indian know about Mahabarath? very few.. This will be a good chance that if made in international version it will defintely hit. Imagine all the dollars, pounds, euro flowing into Bobby Bedi's pocket. I think he has already made money out of Rising.

And to have the greatest director Mani Ratnam, greatest MD AR Rahman, greatest actors AB, SRK, Aamir and our Sallu bhai would be a greatest treat Indian have ever seen. But bringing these actors together would be nearly impossible :-)

Cinefan
18th August 2005, 10:41 AM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/17mangal.htm

Mangal is a flop says this article.If it is true,that means a 50crore historical will lose close to 20 crores.How will a 300 cr(with only Indian actors) film recover it's cost&generate a profit.

Have Mani&Bedi really applied their mind to this?

Jacky
18th August 2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/17bedi.htm

MrJudge
18th August 2005, 11:03 AM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/aug/17mangal.htm

Mangal is a flop says this article.If it is true,that means a 50crore historical will lose close to 20 crores.How will a 300 cr(with only Indian actors) film recover it's cost&generate a profit.

Have Mani&Bedi really applied their mind to this?

Looks like Mani is set for Thalapathi-part 2. Thalapathi was a flop in tamil, howcome he goes for 300 crore MB. Bedi will become beedi if he indeed goes for it.

united07
18th August 2005, 11:50 AM
Talapathi flop-a?

vayaeterichal-ku ippadi oru roobamma?

yov Talapathi is by YOUR IR!....just making a movie with only snow for 3 hoours..accompanied with BGM and songs by IR can make it run for 300 days remember!....

MrJudge
18th August 2005, 03:00 PM
Talapathi flop-a?

vayaeterichal-ku ippadi oru roobamma?

yov Talapathi is by YOUR IR!....just making a movie with only snow for 3 hoours..accompanied with BGM and songs by IR can make it run for 300 days remember!....

Yes, united07, I know it is by IR. But still it is a fact. Thalapathy was not a hit movie. FYI, MR-IR had many flops if you are not aware of them.

Cinefan
18th August 2005, 04:39 PM
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=13920009

Shankar
18th August 2005, 05:29 PM
[tscii:d81f56b066]>>>>>>>>>
According to director Ketan Mehta, "We saw the response of 8000 people.They gave the film a standing ovation. The critics also wrote favourably…."
<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>
"Er…people got up at the end of the film, some clapped as they do for every premiere, and then they all left the auditorium. Is that what's meant by a standing ovation?"
<<<<<<<<<<
:rotfl: someone mentioned this guy is a great director
...shameless people, hyping their worthless products...If its a good product and you hype it, its ok...but this....

maddy,
this is another *global* view...seems to be differing quite a bit from yours :-)[/tscii:d81f56b066]

Shankar
18th August 2005, 05:31 PM
"the Rising" seems to be falling in the BO too... :-))

Observer_Is_Back
18th August 2005, 08:44 PM
Vijayr,

You say:

"You are the one who seem to be going by some of their opinions. "

Once again Vijay, you repeat this accusation, though I've done my best to respond to it in several ways. Really, if one is attempting to look for an "objective" dimension, what evidence is there but the opinions of others, along with sales figures where available? Aren't "technical" reviews equally contentious and divided? One can renounce all hope or interest in a bigger outlook than the merely personal, but that'd be a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater, since I'm sure you don't want to lose Rahman's legendary status, itself founded on "opinions" and sales after all. Indeed, for all your disparaging of opinion, you refer in another post to the close-to-unanimous (not entirely true, since both sify and indiaglitz rave about it) panning of Anniyan. So you yourself are forced to resort to the opinions of others to buttress your argument. Would you be comfortable with me proposing that Anniyan is a masterpiece based on my own "yardsticks" and dismissing all the reviews you cite as mere "uneducated opinion"?

"My point is, based on how some of his recent efforts like Bose(which was praised by all the online reviewers whose opinions you rely on and by yourself in some thread) didnt quite get their due "

With regards to "rely on.." I've repeated myself ad nauseam, and will desist from dignifying that straw-man any further.

"As you can see,even amongst reviewers, opinions differ. Some reviewers didnt like Tehzeeb as they missed the usual rhythms "

Hence my use of the term "close-to-unanimous". In this world there is almost nothing that'll get 100% agreement; even the most miserable artifact has its defenders. In any case, the reviewers that you quote, Subhash K Jha (well-know celebrity suck-up) and Abid (Khan-obsessive) respectively both have their axes to grind and gave the most positive appraisals. But the sense of disappointment was visible in almost all reviews, including the ones you mention. In his movie review, Jha goes on to say that "the music fails to stem the tides of disappointment."

And the it's-not-bad-it's-just-different argument is incorrect since other period albums by Rahman, like Zubeida and 1947-Earth have been highly acclaimed.

"and grooves. I loved the album.And I still think Lagaan as a music album is slightly over-rated. Lagaan isnt Rahman's best. Its probably his best commercially in Hindi."

I wonder why you insist on this so often, almost as if I were claiming loudly and continuously that Lagaan is the greatest Rahman album ever. You also seem to suggest that since you don't regard it as his best, then that somehow makes it the Truth with a capital "T". But this discussion is not strictly about personal opinion; who can argue with personal opinion? The issue at stake here is that large and amorphous thing called public appreciation, the sort of thing that leads to albums (including Lagaan, as it happens) being generally, if not unanimously, regarded as masterpieces and composers turning into "legends". And that happens when album after album is critically acclaimed, commercially successful and award-winning. Not every critic needs to be won over, not every commercial record broken nor every award netted, but mere niche support however ardent will not manufacture the reputation Rahman enjoys, or, more accurately, enjoyed. Of course you could say you have no interest in such a phenomenon, being content with your own high estimation of Tehzeeb or whatever, but then one would have to wonder why you'd want Rising to be a "hit"? Especially since you're not an ARR-fan and don't like the music all that much!

"It just looks like you didnt like the album quite that much and you are trying to validate your opinions based on the few negative reviews found online."

In other words, this is all about me advertising, selling and supporting my own trivial opinion? You're so fantastically mistaken that I'm having serious doubts as to the usefulness of this debate. My enterprise is both larger and humbler than the silly and egoistic one that you impute. And that is mapping the whole domain where "masterpieces" are decided and reputations are made or broken. Only a few years ago it seemed reasonable rather than presumptuous to breathe the question, "Is Rahman the greatest ever?", and indeed it was tossed about in some media/forums (timesofindia for example). Would it be asked today, and if not, why not? With a succession of both high-profile and low-profile failures, I very much doubt it would be. Here the fact that I regard Bose as an excellent album, and that you think highly of Tehzeeb, counts for little. I'm interested in determining if the tide is turning away from Rahman, despite his best (or mediocre, as the case may be) efforts. And this can happen even if a minority thinks all the albums are masterpieces, just as the tide turned away from IR although the IR-cult continues to worship every recent album from him.