PDA

View Full Version : soft idli & crispy dosa

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:48 AM
Topic started by Nandini (nandini_dev@hotmail.com) (@ klg-40-174.tm.net.my) on Fri Feb 15 23:17:50 .

I am living in malaysia I have tried various recipes for dosa but it dosa not come out crispy nor does the idli come out soft, here i don't get parboiled rice so can u suggest how to go about i tried with 3 cup basmati rice 1/2 cup betten rice & 2 cup urad dal. also 1.5 cup raw rice, 1.5 cup boiled rice & 1 cup urad dal

Oldposts
I can tell you what I do for crisp dosas. Grind 2 cups long grain white rice(non-boiled rice) with one cup urad dal. Let it ferment for 8 hrs( the time depends on your climate). After fermenting, add salt to taste and 4,5 spoonful of cooking oil to the mixture and mix well. You will get crisp dosas.

Try it and let me know.

Oldposts
No parboiled rice in Malaysia?
It is called "pulunggal arisi" and you can even get them in hypermarkets like Giant and Carrefour.

Anyway, I like my dosai made from pachai arisi. :)

Make sure you use your hands when stirring as the germs will transfer from your hand to the maavu and this will help ferment the maavu. This is really important.

Oldposts
try this !
raw rice- 3 cups
urad dhal- 1 cup
fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
soak rice, dhal and fenugreek for 3hrs and grind together. let ferment for 8hrs. you can make crisp dosas.
for idlis
parboiled rice-4 cups
urad dhal- 1cup
soak for 5hrs. grind urad dhal in grinder and remove. then grind the rice. mix the batter gently and don't make it too thick. let the batter ferment for 8hrs. not for too long as it gets sour.

Oldposts
Can anyone tell me if you can get the same result if you use rice flour and ulundu flour when making thosai.

Oldposts
I tried using rice flour and ulundu flour to make dosai and I got very good results. Here it is.
3 cups rice flour, 1 cup ulundu flour. Soak some fenurgreek in water till it become soft. Some cooked rice. Blend the all the ingredients in water. Leave to ferment overnight. If the weather is cold put in a little bit of yeast. I tried it today. The result, nice crispy dosais.
<a name="last"></a>

napolims445
4th February 2005, 09:51 PM
basmati rice is not meant for dosa /idli batter..i tried once everything got screwed up..
use normal eating rice like sona masuri rice..
Tip for crispy dosa -
add- 1/2 to 1 cup of thin poha for along with rice and etc...and soak and grind as u do with rice..
Yum, crispy and golden colour dosas...