PDA

View Full Version : Phlip & Jerry - Agosh, What happened??

dinesh2002
13th August 2005, 10:35 PM
Yo guys...wut eva happened to P &J (Thotta Chinugi fame) and Agosh??? Kodieswaran album gets a 10/10 rating for its amazing score & Harichandra has 1 good song, and thotta chinugi,Maname..Thottal Chinugi...amazing scores...what happened to them??anyone can tell??Very very promising start and now they r missing...these songs def stands fresh even untill now...

MADDY
14th August 2005, 02:19 AM
yup, true man.....i last saw agosh for Zor-sunny deol movie which had a gud song.....PJ went into remixes i guess.....they made that famous "all artiste qawali funk" remix......

i really liked thotta chinungi music....it was very good......i once thought they were a threat even to ARR :lol:

kamarajc
15th August 2005, 07:17 AM
Phil and Jerry are Australians, but are of Indian origin. They were here just for short time. Agosh has changed his name and did a pooja for a film with Barathiraja two years ago. The film also dropped I guess. I think Agosh composed for a film called 'Sakthi' produced by KT Kunjumon. Famous track in that album was 'Achu Vellamae'/

dinesh2002
15th August 2005, 04:45 PM
Phil and Jerry are Australians, but are of Indian origin. They were here just for short time. Agosh has changed his name and did a pooja for a film with Barathiraja two years ago. The film also dropped I guess. I think Agosh composed for a film called 'Sakthi' produced by KT Kunjumon. Famous track in that album was 'Achu Vellamae'/

yea man..i heard that track...amazing score...sounded very close wo Athangara Marame - Kizhaku Cheemayile! u know where to get Sakthi's mp3??

alias
15th August 2005, 11:45 PM
yes I liked Phil-Jerry album Puyal. It was very ARRish. And Agosh was good in Kodiswaran And did anyone notice the latest song of Naushad Taj Mahal "Apni Zulfein" very much resemble Agosh song "Zumzum Baba..." song with karishma kapoor and the lines are ".. Oru Paravai sudum Thee Pandam alla...".
I thought for a second Naushad got inspired from Agosh but I think it is some type of concidence :-)

dinesh2002
16th August 2005, 02:35 PM
yes man..very simular...any news on Agosh man???they r a great combo!!!! Philip-Jerry too is very promising that time....damn...they went to waste...Maname,Thottal Chinugi song is amazing...i would rate it 10/10!!
Kodieswaran album too i give 10/10!!!

Kumanan
16th August 2005, 06:06 PM
Apart from its good music, Thotta Chinungi movie is a classic IMHO. It had Raguvaran in his best form. Other good song from the movie: Ilanthendral Veesum Kalamithu by KJY

music man
16th August 2005, 06:30 PM
I think it was Anand of the Agosh group(Anand+Gopal+???) who composed for the movie "Sakthi".

inetk
17th August 2005, 07:31 PM
Agosh is Anand, Gopal and Shalin. Gopal is the one who sang 'Dilruba' from Priyam. Think he's sung a few more for Vidyasagar. Shalin is a Doon school alumnus and was part of Indian Ocean when they released their self-titled debut album.

They also came out with a pop album for Zee Music, called 'Paisa'. Fairly decent album. The Paisa video was especially good! You could listen to the album online at...

http://www.dishant.com/jukebox/dosearch.php3?query=agosh+-+paisa&search_in=ALBUM_ONLY

Phil & Jerry were behind the Q Funk/ Roop Inka Mastana that was quite a success at that time - 4 years back? The remix of Kajra Mohobbatwala got a lot of airplay and the interlude is still used for Neengal Ketta Paadal in Sun TV, if I remember right.

Yes, I also wonder what happened to these composers!

Also, after a fairly decent (also, inspired!) debut in 5 Star, one would have expected Parasuram-Radha to score for more movies. Last I read in some Tamil newspaper site that they're scoring for some B-grade, shady named Tamil movie starring newcomers!

Then there is Suresh Peters, who I guess is doing some work in Malayalam. But after Coolie and a very good pop debut in Minnal, he just fizzled out. His subsequent pop albums, 'Oviyam', one more were total duds. The lastest one called 'Engirundho' which I heard online from a site was maha dumb. Strange that ARR doesnt use him at all these days, he used to sing a lot for him in his Prabhu Deva days!

Aadityan is full time into cooking, in Jaya TV. Well we dont miss anything really, but I loved Amaran, frankly!

BTW, Who is this guy Sharath, composing for the upcoming Jo starrer June R? Seems he's dragged Usha Uthup out of her self imposed exile?

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

bramma
17th August 2005, 11:07 PM
Inetk,

Loved reading the whole of your write-up... very informative.

Aadityan is not great. But I liked his work in 'Seevalapperi Pandi' than in 'Amaran'. But, in a world of Dheenas and Devisriprasads, Aadityan is not too bad. But, he was not consistent. I like Ranjit Barot too. His 'Mere Watan' from Fiza is one of my all time favorites. Also, missing is Karthikraja. There has been lot of humiliating talk about him in this forum, but now he seems to have been behind the screen working with IR for Thiruvasagam.

inetk
18th August 2005, 02:17 PM
Seriously! I really cannot understand what is wrong with Karthikraja. In fact, in my opinion, he's the true successor to IR, in terms of musical knowledge that he displays in his compositions. Yuvan may be far more successful but his success is akin to his present day peers like HJ or VS. KR showed his class in a the few movies he did, but he doing B grade trash like Ragasiyamai is strange.

I understand that he has worked for the bigger banners (Dum3 for Aalayam, Album for Kavithalaya etc), but what he ideally needs is the backing of successful biggies - Hari, Maniratnam, Shankar kinds. Even though I hate to say this - being a good fan of Rahman, but Mani's working with Karthikraja is something that I'd love to watch out for.

jaiganes
18th August 2005, 03:54 PM
karthik!
I agree with you on Karthikraja.
He last worked for a thamizh film in "Neranja manasu" which was a decent album for Vijayakanth standards.
He is the prodigal son who is helping out the father. Rumours have that considerable portion of parthiban's "Ivan" is Karthik Raja.
His memorable work in the recent times was "Kudaikkul Mazhai" which IMO had some of the original and good tunes for that year (2004) that could have occupied top ten had they been propped by good PR and planning. Sadly he is jinxed like the project.
I have high hopes on Karthik Raja making it big. YSR is a shame on IR in what he is doing recently, remixing IR's old tunes shamelessly and copying ARR.
KarthikRaja's theme for "Kudaikkul Mazhai", "PadaPadavena","Adiye Kiliye" for the same movie are my all time faves.

Shankar
18th August 2005, 04:17 PM
Jaiganes,
>>>>>>>
He is the prodigal son
<<<<<<<

A prodigal son ?!?! He didn't do anything wasteful or bad as far as i know.

inetk,
Sharath is a very good composer from mallu land...he composed for a handful of mallu movies & some albums (i can remember sparsam & sindhura rekha)...A very talented, unfortunately, not well utilised MD.

Sanjeevi
18th August 2005, 04:29 PM
YSR is a shame on IR in what he is doing recently, remixing IR's old tunes shamelessly and copying ARR.

Do you have ear? or have you listened the following songs

Irava pagala, Nilalinai nijamum, Devadaiyai kandaen, Kadhal valarthen, ninaithu ninaithu, kan pesum varthaigal, En anbae, Nenjodu kalanthidu.

----------------------------------------

I am also a fan of Karthik raja since Alexander. Nathiyoram is a mind blowing melody.

Shankar
18th August 2005, 06:12 PM
jaiganes,
Did ysr copy arr ? Can you mention some instances ?

inetk
18th August 2005, 07:02 PM
YSR is sure not a shame on the IR family. He has in fact taken the family to the next level by doing something very hip and making it very successful. When I heard Aravindan I thought this guy was absolutely hopeless. Regardless of what I/ we think of his music vis-a-vis other composers, the fact is that he's a far more successful composer than his brother - at this moment.

But these would not change my personal opinion that KR is far more talented than his younger bro and, in fact, most other present day composers. Which is why I had added in my previous mail about people like Mani and Shankar trying KR - which might not happen at all due to commercial considerations. And thats quite sad.

Coming back to the thread topic of lost composers, does anybody remember the name of the composer of the movie called 'Gowri Manohari'? There was an amazing track 'Aruvi kooda jadhi illamal' and a couple of other good songs.

Also, Ranjit Barot composed for VIP in Tamil - fairly decent.

SPB composes very rarely which includes Tamil films like Sigaram and another trashy Pandiarajan film the name of which I forgot now! He did a fairly decent job in Unnai Saranadainthen - 2 good tracks. Wonder why he doesnt compose more often.

Many people still consider IR to be composer of Vedham Pudhidhu. Wonder what happened to Ravi Devendran after a very IR'ish and amazing score in that movie. Even BR didnt use him after that!

Sanjeevi
18th August 2005, 09:49 PM
But these would not change my personal opinion that KR is far more talented than his younger bro and, in fact, most other present day composers

May be true and somtime he has proved. But he should give continuous hits. Because today is tough competition in tfm field.

Coming back to the thread topic of lost composers, does anybody remember the name of the composer of the movie called 'Gowri Manohari'? There was an amazing track 'Aruvi kooda jadhi illamal' and a couple of other good songs.

IR is the MD.

Many people still consider IR to be composer of Vedham Pudhidhu. Wonder what happened to Ravi Devendran after a very IR'ish and amazing score in that movie. Even BR didnt use him after that!

Come to Shankar ganesh, after IR's success, his songs was also IRish atleast in sometimes. example kanni paruvathilae. Shankar ganesh had copied exactly the "roja poo adi" song of IR in a film and I forget the name of the movie.

inetk
18th August 2005, 10:10 PM
A google search throws up Iniyavan as the composer of Gowri Manohari. It was even a SOTD in Dhool!

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/649.html

Sanjeevi
18th August 2005, 10:25 PM
A google search throws up Iniyavan as the composer of Gowri Manohari. It was even a SOTD in Dhool!

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/649.html

Thanks, I updated my data on mind. :D

yvsmani
19th August 2005, 12:35 PM
i think devendran scored for mannukkul vairam also. It too contained good songs especially, idhazodu idhazh serum neram.

Maragathamani after a long time scored for student no.1 and unnai kanda naal muthal by srikanth. He is also missing in tfm.

Aghosh gave good music for songs like nadodi pattu paada, enna idhu kanava, munthanai selai etc

Bobby gave decent songs in sollathae and one more 'meera meera kannan naan , poonkuyil pattu' etc in ranjith, priya raman starrer

Adityan gave a good song by chithra in thuraimugam - chinna chinna kanavugalae kanna