PDA

View Full Version : how to make curd

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:49 AM
Topic started by someone (@ px2ar.ed.shawcable.net) on Tue Dec 17 13:51:33 .

Hi

I tried making curd .i put red chilli in boiled milk after it is cooled down well.i left it near the heater vent overnight.it smelled soooo bad .i used homoginised milk .did i do anything wrong.please explain the right way to make curd.can i use buttermilk to the milk? please help.

Oldposts
try using semi solid curd(not very liquid or not very solid), that will help u to get a good curd . 5 to 6 hrs is enough in the winter itself. can keep either in oven or on the vent. if u keep inside the oven, it will be very solid and thick. that is for sure. make sure the milk is lukewarm.

good luck.

Oldposts
Hello someone,
Here is how I make yogurt at home.

Boiled whole milk 6 cups
Starter Yoghurt 2 tablespoon

Pour the milk in a cooking vessel and boil it. Stir occasionally to prevent the milk from boiling over. Let it cool to 100-110 degree F. (I use a candy thermometer to measure this.)

In a cup take 2 tablespoon starter Yoghurt, and mix it well with 2-3 tablespoon warm milk to a uniform consistency. Add this back to the warm milk and stir and mix well. Cover this with a lid and keep in a warm place. I cover the covered pot with a flannel cloth to maintain uniform temperature.
Depending upon the sourness you prefer, the length of fermentation may vary from 2-4 hours. Usually the milk solidifies after 2 hours with minimum acidity.

Oldposts
We keep the pots wrapped with kitchen towel next to the chest freezer's compressor vents where it is warmer. works well

Oldposts
hi,
I use the same procedure as Chitra does..and I keep the milk inside the Oven with the oven light switched on for about 6 nours. ( I have put a 60W bulb in the oven) even for fermenting the idli/dosa batter i do the same method.
rgds,
MINI

Oldposts
ya u can put butter milk to the milk whan the milk is warm.

Oldposts
I AM STILL NOT ABLE TO MAKE THICK CURD.
I STAY IN U.S. & IS NOT ABLE TO SET THICK CURD DURING WINTER.

PLS SUGGEST

Oldposts
HI,

I AM NOT ABLE TO SET CURD DURING WINTER.PLS HELP

Oldposts
hi,use semi solid curds-1 spoon,and add luke or slightly hot milk keep it in a casserole in winters.voila the curds is set.

Oldposts
put the milk in a plastic tupper and boil for 6-7 minutes till it is hot but not boiling. add about 3 tablespoons of natural yoghurt sold in stores. cover the lid . keep overnight .usually works.
in winter if the curd has not set. put in microwave uncovered for 4-5 minutes. keep checking to see that it doesnt curdle.
try it with greek yoghurt and you have lovely curds .

Oldposts
put the milk in a plastic tupper and boil for 6-7 minutes till it is hot but not boiling. add about 3 tablespoons of natural yoghurt sold in stores. cover the lid . keep overnight .usually works.
in winter if the curd has not set. put in microwave uncovered for 4-5 minutes. keep checking to see that it doesnt curdle.
try it with greek yoghurt and you have lovely curds .

Oldposts
Add about 4-5 tbsp of curd to 150ml of full cream milk. beat it well with a spoon. cover and leave it in a warm place overnight,,, Curd is ready,,, y own experiment and it works..

Oldposts
pls can someone out there send me a mail as to how i can make lovely and nice yogurt at home. i am from and live in nigeria.please i need it urgently.send it to my email address.

Oldposts
hi
i need a repice to make yogurt pealse send me one!

Oldposts
hi
i need a repice to make yogurt pealse send me one!

Oldposts
Boil milk,let it cool at room temperature, add
2-3 table spoons of yogurt from store, mix well.
Heat the oven to minimum temperature,put the milk-yogurt mixture in the oven. Keep the oven on for ten minutes, then turn off the oven, but keep the milk-yogurt mixture in the oven. Let it stay
overnight, if you still want sour yogurt turn the oven on for five minutes and keep the milk-yogurt mixture in for few hours.

Oldposts
Heat the oven to minimum temperature,put the milk-yogurt mixture in the oven. Keep the oven on for ten minutes, then turn off the oven, but keep the milk-yogurt mixture in the oven. Let it stay
overnight, if you still want sour yogurt turn the oven on for five minutes and keep the milk-yogurt mixture in for few hours.

Oldposts

Oldposts
Make sure you use fresh milk for preparing yogurt. Lemme explain you why we need to boil the milk and then let it cool, how yogurt is forming from the boiled milk.

Yogurt is actually Bacteriased Milk. There are two major bacterias, Streptoccus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, playing the role of converting the milk into yogurt.

Why do we boil the milk first? It is just to kill all other bacterias in the milk.

Then we need to bring the milk to normal temperature, then only we can let the new bacterias to get in. if the milk is still hot, the added bacterias will also die. So no curd will be formed.

Why do we add starter yogurt? Hope you know the reason now. Let the bacterias to grow in the milk. Once the yogurt formed, two more bacterias namely bifido bacteria and lactobacillus casei also may be formed.

The important thing is, the bacterias in the yoogurt are alive when we consume the yogurt. A good yogurt will contain 100 to 1000 million bacteias per ml.

Streptoccus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus are converting the milk to yogurt whereas bifido bacteria and lactobacillus casei are helping us in digestion.

Yogurt is the best known probiotic.

Oldposts
simple first the milk for 10-15 minutes and add two drops of lemon

Oldposts
Mr. Rafer,

Here the problem is not the procedure. He wants to prepare it in USA under very cold temperature.

Oldposts
Please tell me the exact contents of protein, fat, vitamins, iron & minerals in Milk curd.

Oldposts
If we add little bit sugar to warm milk does it helps to fermant curd in short time.

Oldposts
Add a few dried red chillies and that should set the yogurt, in winter.

Add the red chillies when the yogurt does not set even after leaving it in the oven with the light turned on for 5-6 hrs. It usually works for me. The yogurt will set in 3-4 hrs after that.

Oldposts
I tried making curd using skim milk but :((. Is there a way to make curd from skim milk?

Oldposts
http://www.iomx.com

Oldposts
i m unable to set good n thick curd though i tired very hard still i could'nt plz suggest me urgently throuhg my email id

Oldposts
hi,
Iam makeing curd with whole milk and skim milk in seperate bowls in every day.its come thick and nice.
Take mirowave bowl big, pour the milk how much do u want, after set it in mirowave for 15 to 20 mins.its boiled nicely make it warm.1 teaspoon curd add.( make it curd,glass ware or steal vessels.)its come nice.if u doesn't get curd just add 1 whole green chille with stem.sure u can get fresh curd.

Oldposts
Can we make yogurt with fat free milk

Oldposts
The bulgarian buttermilk is a good starter culture if you do not have curd from India to start your culture.
When you add the culture, you have to stir the milk with your fingers. If you are a hygiene maniac, the curd may not come well.
You can use even skim milk to make good yoghurt.

Oldposts
Yogurt maker is a good choice for US cold weather. Buy one from the electric department in the super marker and follow these instructions or use milk powder and water with a little yougurt to make real thick yogurt.

Oldposts
what is the difference between the various buttermilk and yoghurt cultures. We find bulgaian culture buttermilk, swiss buttermilk, Russian yoghurt, greek yoghurt etc in stores. Though they are all plain and taste unique and delicious, each should have a different proportion of bacterias. They never taste similar to the Indian yoghurt thiugh. So can someone please explain to me what the difference in them is? I did have the culture from India but it is a dead culture now :( So, I am trying to find an American substitute but am at a loss about the technical details. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Oldposts
Hi Ashley
Just view this following thread and you'll get valuable curd making tips from Mr.hemant and many other hubbers.

http://forumhub.com/southfood/28982.25519.03.43.33.html (http://forumhub.com/southfood/28982.25519.03.43.33.html
)

hope this will helps you a little bit.

Oldposts
When I use the yogurt in the stores I get curd that is stringy. I want Indian curd culture. Can somebody pls tell me from where I can get it?

Oldposts
Thanks Raathi, my question should have been more specific: to make "indian" yoghurt, please let me know which of the following bacteria should be the main ingredient of the starter culture? Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus lactis, Lactobacillus helveticus, Lactobacillus acidophilus?
Or is there a specific mix of the above?
Each yoghurt from the store contains a different bacteria being my point. Hence each yoghurt tastes different, though delicious :)
i am trying to simulate good old south indian yoghurt using american store bought yoghurt.

Oldposts
Hi Ashley,
Hope the following info helps you!

Yogurt and yogurt-like products (laban and dahi) are the traditional form of sour milk in India, Romania, Greece, Hungary etc. The microorganisms responsible for the fermentation are Streptococcus thermophillus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus. The fermentation takes place at 420-460C. Yogurt has a characteristic flavor and texture. The Indian curd (Dahi) is traditionally prepared from con*centrated whole milk and is used either as such or in other forms such as Mattha, Chhach or Takra.

Oldposts
Thanks KH! This does help.

Oldposts
Andal:

Where can i find the Bulgarian b milk? Wat kinda stores sell them? Tnks in advance.

Oldposts
if you live in California (North) you may find Bulgarian Culture Buttermilk from Berkeley Farms. It is sold by Albertsons, 7-11 stores, Indian and Chinese stores.

Oldposts
Hi Ashley, I live in Chicago.

Oldposts
Hi, i want to know the difference between CURD and YOUGART.
Thnaks.

Oldposts
Difference between Curd and Yoghurt :

1. Curd starts with the letter 'C'
Yoghurt with the letter 'Y'

2. Curd is a a four-lettered word.
Yoghurt is a seven-lettered word.

3. Curd is easier to pronounce.

4. Curd is easier to spell.

5. Curd does not have any flavour.
Yoghurt comes in many flavours.

6. Curd is a common word in India.
Yoghurt means something 'rich' in India.

What both have in common :

1. Curd and Yoghurt are both milk products.

2. Both have the letters 'u' and 'r'.

3. The second letter is a vowel in both the cases.

4. The last letter is a consonant in both the cases.

5. The ending 'rd' and 'rt' are somewhat similar.

Oldposts
I found the answer to my own questions earlier! I would like to post here so enquiring minds (and picky palates like mine) can get informed. Original Indina yoghurt contains 2 cultures L Bulgaricus and S Thermophillus.
BUT, the yoghurt you find in the US stores has upto 4 more cultures in ADDITION to L Bulgaricus and S Thermophillus added. They are called probiotics and are added for additional health benefits. Each of these cultures change the taste of the yoghurt in a unique way because of the way they break down the milk proteins. So, all the yoghurts do not feel and taste the same as back in the old country(as I have found out!). though I am more inclined to accept the variations in taste after I discovered the benefits of these cultures.
Stoneyfield and Horizon ae 2 brands that carry most of these beneficial cultures. Others contain 1 or 2 more of these cultures and not all.

I am posting the advantages of these additional probiotic cultures for your benefit:

1. Lactobacillus acidophilus
L. acidophilus provides various health benefits in the gastrointestinal tract. Several studies indicate that L. acidophilus helps lower cholesterol by interfering with cholesterol re-absorption in the intestine.

2. Bifidobacteria (Bifidus)
Bifidus stimulates the immune system, helps prevent common digestive ailments and supports healthy growth and development of the digestive tract.

3. Lactobacillus casei
L. casei enhances positive bacterial balance in the intestine. It enhances the immune system by inhibiting growth of diarrhea-producing organisms, alleviates constipation, reduces hypertension, inhibits the growth of carcinogenic tumors, and suppresses disease-producing microorganisms.

4. Lactobacillus reuteri
L. reuteri inhibits the growth and activity of harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, E. Coli, Staphylococcus, Listeria and the yeast Candida. It also has a therapeutic and prophylactic effect on both viral and bacterial diarrhea.
L. reuteri boosts the body's immune system, enhancing the body's resistance to gastrointestinal disease.

Oldposts
how do i make laban (sour milk)? It is commonly available in middle east.

Oldposts
Seetha,
You can find the bulgarian style buttermilk in Kroger or any grocery store. Bulgarian style buttermilk is closer to the Indian curd. Or if you have any friends visiting from India ask them to bring one tablespoon of curd with them in the flight. If you are visiting Atlanta, I will be glad to give Indian starter culture to you.

Oldposts
2 qt (1.9L) Milk (usually 2% or whole)
1/4 c Starter (plain yogurt with active cultures, either store bought or saved from the previous yogurt batch.)

If using frozen yogurt as a starter: Remove it from the freezer and allow to defrost in the fridge for a few hours or put the container in a hot water bath for about one hour (that’s what I do) but NEVER microwave it.

Heat up the milk until almost boiling, then let it cool slightly. I know when it is ready by administering the "index-finger test": The milk is ready if it is cool enough for me to keep my CLEAN finger in it for no more than 10 seconds (it should still be quite hot and not lukewarm).

Pour the milk into a glass container with a lid, stir in the starter and wrap the whole thing with a wool shawl or a thick sweater and leave it overnight (or about 10 hrs) on your kitchen counter. The longer you leave it wrapped, the more the sour taste will develop. I prefer a sweeter tasting yogurt, so 8-10 hours is enough. The yogurt produced is sweet with a slight tang and a soft custard-like texture—absolutely fantastic. Remove a quarter cup of the fresh yogurt to freeze in a small plastic container for use next time as a starter and refrigerate the rest.

Oldposts
Dear Dahi Lovers:

I have seen a lot of queestions about Dahi and difference between the Real Indian Dahi and yoghurt. Many of these questions have been answered at http://www.symbiotechsolutions.com/eng/faq.html (http://www.symbiotechsolutions.com/eng/faq.html
)

best regards,

Sukhbir Rani Mehta, Ph.D.
SYMBIOTECH Solutions
www.symbiotechsolutions.com
Global supplier of cultures, enzymes & probitoics

Oldposts
thanks Andal! I shall def check that out!!

Oldposts
how to make curd?

Oldposts
Hi,
I dont know the technical words but for years in california this is how I am making curd.No matter what the weather is, if I mix butter milk in a hot milk around 10 or 11 a.m. the delicious curd will be ready for same day dinner or earlier too sometimes.
Always add buttermilk {not thick curd} to hot milk.Dont add just few drops or spoons like India, be generous. Turn the curd into butter milk by adding water little by little stirring with your finger.
And I dint even bring curd from India to start my curd anytime.One time i just bought the yogurt served in the air plane and I started making curd in my house with that as a starter.
Otherwise any yogurt [pavel or any plain yogurt]
can be turned as buttermilk and can be mixed.Many of my friends started following this now.

N.B: I will not even boil the milk in stove, I will just boil it in the microwave.

Oldposts
Hi,
When I make curd using Pavel's Yogurt I get stringy curd. It does'nt feel nice. Can somebody explain me why?

Oldposts
The stringy curd may be due to lot of reasons.
The temperature may not be right when you add the curd. You might have some hormone changes going on in your body -(when I was pregnant, I got stringy yogurt eventhough everything else was same).
Change the culture

Oldposts
Hello Kavitha,

Stringy curds are common. It is un limited growth of only certain type of Bacterias.
It is very common where monocultures are used as starters.

I have experimented a lot in California to get good curds .
I used to keep the milk open near window to let bacteria and diferent fungal spores in the milk.
Then I added plain yogurt and I got very good curds .
Use the method given by DK.
It is the best way to make curds.

Hello Mrs. Andal,
Your body hormones have nothing to do with stringy curds.

Oldposts
I forgot to add.
Please use only LIVE BACTERIA yougurts and not others as starters.

Oldposts
Hey. Can someone help me by telling me the proper way of making a good curd?!? I don't want it too be sour.. but I wasnt it to be nice and thick.

Oldposts
this is a kool site but what color is the curd sopposed to be??

Oldposts
can someone plzzzzzzzzz tell the difference between curd and yogurt?

Oldposts
I will like to know the density of curd and is its density more than water.

Oldposts
Hi…
Making curds is real easy. we can very well keep milk in microwave …..say small serving bowl. fill milk in this bowl and keep in microwave for 6 mins & 30 seconds. let it cool and then add buttermilk or curd…..doesnt matter. U shud add this when milk is warm….not hot not cold but warm….quiet warm. DK mentioned not like in India but be generous……… that’s wrong.
Ppl add little curd or buttermilk coz only then the curd will be sweet and delicious but it might take an hr extra when compared to curd made with lot of buttermilk added.…..if u add more the curd will be done soon but it will be sour….and will become more sour day by day whereas when added little will not be that sour when used for longer. Make sure to make curds in stoneware or corning ware or porcelain dishes and not steel…coz steel or aluminium dishes make it sour even though when curd is not yet done.
Hope this recipe gives u sweet curds.
Shanthi.

Oldposts
Are curds and yogurt the same thing?
I'm about to try to make it for the first time. Any suggestions for warm climate in Georgia, (U.S.A.)?

Oldposts
Curds and Yogurt is the same thing.

The bacteria that aids in the Yogurt formation thrives excellentley at about 100 to 105 degrees fahrenheit and will die at 120 degrees. Below 70 degrees, it won't multiply well.

Since body temperature is 98 degrees, milk that is warm to the touch is right temperature.

The amount of starter culture should not make much difference except for the time it takes to for the complete curds.

Boil the milk and let it cool such that it is warm to the touch. you can boil on stove or in microwave.

If you take 2% milk and add some skim milk powder, the yogurt forms really nice and thick.

Desi

Oldposts
I had a problem with thickness of curd and layer of water on curd.
What may be the problem?

Oldposts
If you heat the milk and add the curd when it is hot and also cover it tight with lid, the water evaporates and then condenses back on the curd. So you will see a layer of water on top of the curd.To solve it, cool the boiled milk to luke warm temperature and then use a loosely fitting lid.
<a name="last"></a>

sruthi
25th December 2004, 04:52 AM
Hi,

I live in Fremont,Ca. This method never disappointed me.

* Boil the milk and allow it to cool well (preferrably 100% milk to get thick curd)

* Replace the milk to another vessel. 'coz it migt have remnants that we don't want.

* Add cultured buttermilk 2-3 tablespoon.

* Cover it & Place it in the oven and set oven to 350 degrees for 2-3 minutes. (Don't forget to switch off the oven!! :D )

* Let the milk be in oven overnight.

* Next morning - Voila,thick curd !. Remove it from the oven and place it in the fridge.

Try it.Good luck.

ziaxxxxx
6th March 2005, 08:25 AM
i would liek to know if any one can tell me how to make home made butter. ( preferably w'out using store bought items llike creams , etc))

pls reply immeditaly

tomato
7th March 2005, 10:30 AM
To make home made butter u need to first collect cream from milk.
Bring at least 1 lt milk to a boil. Leave uncovered or cover with a sieve till it comes to room temp. U will then see a layer of cream fromed on the top. Collect it in a bowl. U can cover and refrigerate it. And keep collecting the cream every time u boil fresh milk. When u have abt 1/2 cup cream add it to 2 cups of warm milk and also add starter curd to set it to yogurt. Leave it aside for 6-8 hrs. Then with a churner churn the yogurt and after a while the cream will become butter and float on top. The remaining yogurt will have thinned down and that is called buttermilk.
Note: cream will be fromed only on full cream milk. If the milk is labeled homogenized, cream will not from, coz the milk is treated such that it does not separate from milk(homogenization).

ziaxxxxx
13th March 2005, 12:39 AM
thanks fer the reply tomato ...i have heard that even contant;ly shaking the cream hlps in seprating the milk frum the butter...i mean...can we nly use churner to get butter?? or can we use sumthign else as i donot hav a churner...

tomato
13th March 2005, 09:12 AM
Yes zia that rt. u can get butter by constantly shaking the milk. I I'd once seen one of my aunts do that. She put the milk+cream+starter yogurt( which was left overnight ) into a glass jar with a tight lid and constantly kept shaking it.

problem
2nd May 2005, 11:20 PM
Hi I don't have the starter curd and I don't want to rely on the yogurt in the groceries could you tell me how do I make the curd with out the starter..

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Problem,
Buy Natural yogurt with live culture. It will say on lable.
Use it as starter.

tomato
9th May 2005, 09:17 AM
What is the best utensil to make curds? Heard from some friends that curds set in claypots has less water content and also does not go sour easily. I request hubbers to share your tips on the kind of bowls you use to set curds.
I find that the curds set better in porcelian than steel and also in porcelean the curds don't go sour very soon.

dlaxmi16
19th July 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi,

Curds can be best set in plastic containers. keep the milk quite warm , then add the yogurt to it..thats it within a few hrs it will set & it will be thick .Once the curd is set, you can refrigerate it .