PDA

View Full Version : NAIVEDHYAM (Hemant's Cookery Corner)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:49 AM
Topic started by HEMANT (@ 63.109.250.131) on Tue Jan 23 03:14:55 .

As the Food Minister in Krishnan's Cabinet, I have started this corner.I have about 30 years experience in North, South and Western Indian cooking.This I would like to share with the Forum Hubbers on a day to day basis.
It would be my endevour to give you some of the best recipes which I have found SUPER in this section.All the lovers of GOOD FOOD and all the SAPPADU RAMAS are invited to join and benefit from me.
(LET ME NOT FORGET ALL THOSE WORKING WOMEN TOO!!)

Oldposts
Old responses (http://forumhub.com/southfood/16874.14464.03.14.55.html)

Oldposts
Hello Niche,

My father-in-law is wonderful cook and he had made Bhindi manchurian when he visited us last year. The dish you tasted could possibly be a variation of the same thing (based on the taste and the color you mentioned).

I was watching my f-i-l make this dish and this is what he did:

Wipe bhindi with a wet paper towel (did not wash it as it would become slimy). Air dried it completely. Then he cut them into 1" pieces. Again let them dry on a paper towel.

Mixed Bhindi with a little corn starch, chili powder, besan, cumin powder, aamchur, soy sauce and a pinch of ajino motto (you could leave out the msg if you are touchy about it) - I don't mind a little bit as we only us eit once in about 6 months. Note: The mixture was very dry.

Left this aside for about an hour. Then deep fried it.

Tasted yummy.

Enjoy.

- D

Oldposts
Hello Niche,
What D has described shows that her FIL has cooked bhendi the way it should be for crispy fried version.
You should try that out. Sounds Yummy.

Oldposts
Well, in a indo-chinese restaurant in Chicago(Hot wok), they serve Schezwan sauce. Which is similar to what yuo described.

Oldposts
thanks d and hemant, let me try out but D, did the bhendi have thick layer of flour over it Like in potato or green chilli bhajji's??
tks
niche

Oldposts
No.. you can still see the green colour of bhendi with a very thin layer of coating.

Oldposts
http://www.iomx.com

Oldposts
hemantji,
I have some gulaab jamun syrup left. What can I do with it? I had made sakharpara using chaasni and gheuno lot. Can you post some recipes for the leftover chaasni. Also can I use maida to make sakharpara using the leftover syrup??
pls help. also can u post some nasta items.

Oldposts
ya

Oldposts
Hello Hemantji..
i have read ur recepies..and tried some of them and they were very good...thank you..i would like to know how to make tofu...pls help..

Oldposts
Hello Hemantji,
I would like to know the recipe for indo-chinese veg noodles and chicken noodles. Can you help?

Oldposts
when you start using up leftovers it becomes neverending. The leftovers soon become leftover leftovers. Syrup is fattening , then using up leftover syrup in fried items is more fattening. Dear Archana, stick to fruits for sweets and you and your family will be healthier and happier. Just pour that syrup into the sink!!

Oldposts
Hi Hemant,
First of all i must thank you for your superb recipe of gun powder.....
you know yesterday i prepared this powder and left it on the dining table. my hubby came back home with some unexpected guests (a family) for dinner. you know what happenend the whole bottle is empty...they all liked it so much. i have given your recipe and your website address to go through (and try some recipes).

want another favour from you.....
i am using this "Baba's Sambhar Powder" and "baba's rasam powder" (vegetarian purpose).. if possible can you give me the recipe for these powders.

thank you.

Oldposts
Hello Uma,
I feel guilty for not returning your compliments.
I am happy that your hubby and friends liked the recipe of Gun Powder.
I also feel guilty that nowadays I cannot post recipes as per requests.I surely would be surprising you all with some newer recipes.

Oldposts
hello hemanthi...
pls could u help me with how to make tofu?i have been tying to make it but everytime i make it something goes wrong...
regards rebecca

Oldposts
Hi Rebecca,
I made chappatis with methi leaves and tofu just yesterday. They really came out well.
Add 1 cup chopped methi leave, 1/2 cup grated tofu, 1 tspn oil, 1 pinch turmeric powder and salt to the dough. Now knead it well and set aside for 10 minutes. Then make rotis or parantha from this. Hope you like this. You can skip the methi leaves and make just tofu roti.

Oldposts
hi aarthi,
thx for the chapathi recepie..i shall try it out soon..
regards
soku

Oldposts
Hi all,
This is a great site.
I would like to know about healthy food recipes that can be given to babies older than 6 months.
Thanking you,
Ann

Oldposts
Hello Friends,
For a change, I am bringingsomething interesting from my asto group.

THANKS KURMA DASA JI!!!

JAGANNATH PURI KITCHEN
The World's Oldest Rice Pudding
By Kurma Dasa

There comes a time in every writer's life for an office cleanup. A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge. Hoping to discover a few long-forgotten bits and pieces in the process, I sorted through twenty-six years of accumulated paperwork and files. I wasn't disappointed.

I knew I had many vegetarian recipes stored away, but the final count of over 3000 was indeed a pleasant surprise. Inside one dusty box, I found a collection of very old recipes that I had kept aside, perhaps for some future cookbook. I dug up a recipe for a hundred-year-old apple pie (actually the recipe was a hundred years old, not the pie), and a medieval Swedish cream fudge.

But the recipe that made the two-day cleanup really worthwhile was a 2000 year-old recipe for rice pudding from an old Indian temple kitchen. Yamuna Devi, a friend and celebrated cooking writer had discovered the recipe on one of her numerous trips to the subcontinent, and had written some notes to accompany the recipe.
Here's an excerpt from what she had to say:

"Of all the world's exceptional kitchens, perhaps none are as grand as the kitchen compound of the Jagannatha Temple in Puri, Orissa, that basks on India's eastern seaboard adjoining the Bay of Bengal.

The present temple of Jagannatha was constructed by King Ananga Bhima. Historians say this temple was constructed at least two thousand years ago. Awesome and gigantic, the Jagannatha Temple kitchen reflects centuries, if not millenia, of culinary tradition.

Without electricity or machines, a legion of skilled chefs work under oil lamps over open wood fires. Every day since the temple was inaugurated over twenty centuries ago, the temple chefs have prepared more than one hundred different vegetarian dishes in enormous quantities to be offered to the temple Deities, and then distributed as prasadam, sanctified food. The kitchen runs so efficiently that given only one day's notice, the chefs can prepare a full meal for ten thousand guests at a sitting.

The kitchen compound is located several feet above and to the left of the temple's main gate, called the Simha-dvara, or Lion Gate, and covers roughly one acre. The kitchen is divided into nine sections, two of them a little more than 2,500 square feet each, the other seven slightly smaller.

The kitchen houses an astounding 752 wood-burning clay stoves, called chulas, each about three feet square and four feet high. To accomodate various sizes of pots, small clay knobs are judiciously placed at intervals on the stove's surface for support. A circle of five jug-shaped earthen pots rest directly on the stove's surface, kept in place with the clay knobs. Three more pots go in the open spaces above the pots to form a second layer, and one more pot goes in the centre on top, forming a nine-pot pyramid. In this way, all nine pots receive lickings of heat and smoke from the wood fires below.

Some cooking pots, also made of unfired clay, are shallow and wide, resembling Spanish Paella pans or French saute pans. As the food cooks in the pots, their walls become very hot. The pots provide amazing heat retention - food stored in them stays piping hot for up to four or five hours - and tastes exceptionally delicious.

One thousand men are employed in the kitchen every day. Five hundred executive chefs, called swaras, are the only ones actually allowed to cook on the stoves. Three hundred kitchen assistants, called jogunias, assist the swaras by lighting the fires, fetching water from temple wells, washing and cleaning the new earthen cooking pots before use, and finally filling the pots with ingredients. The other two hundred assistants , called tunias, wash the cart-loads of locally grown vegetables, such as the many varieties of leafy greens, tubers, squashes, melons, green chilies, ginger and fresh coconuts. The tunias also cut the vegetables, grate the fresh coconuts into powder, and stone-grind the herbs, chilies, ginger, and dozens of spice blends. All members of the kitchen staff begin training at age twelve. They serve for life, or until they become too old to perform their duties.

The one hundred different dishes prepared daily fall into two categories, called pakka and sukka. Pakka foods are those which are boiled, such as dals, soups, stews, rice, kiccharis, and all vegetable dishes. Sukka, or dry foods, include cookies, biscuits, sweetmeats, pastries, and confections.

As with the fruits and vegetables selected for use in the Jagannatha kitchens, the standard for spices has also remained constant for two thousand years. Only locally grown spices are used, and these include mace, cumin, fennel, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, mustard seed, and black cumin.

Although non-Hindus are strictly forbidden from entering the Jagannatha Temple or it's kitchens, visitors to Jagannatha Puri's bustling markets can purchase a huge variety of temple kitchen prasadam for a small price, some still hot and in it's original clay cooking pots."

Not long after rediscovering the recipe, I cooked the rice pudding, and I must say it was delicious. Here then is the original recipe for bhat payasa, the rich rice pudding cooked daily at the Jagannatha Temple kitchen. This recipe has not changed in two thousand years.

2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter
3/4 cup long grained rice, washed and dried
1/2 bay leaf
2 litres milk
1/2 cup ground rock sugar, or raw sugar
1/4 cup currants
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
one pin-head quantity of pure cooking camphor (optional)
1 tablespoon toasted nuts for garnish

Heat the ghee or butter in a heavy pot over medium heat, and toast the rice for a minute.

Add the bay leaf and milk. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to half it's original volume.

Add the sweetener, currants, and cardamom, and simmer the mixture until it reaches one fourth of it's original volume, and is thick and creamy.

Stir in the optional camphor, and cool to room temperature, or refrigerate until chilled.

Serve garnished with the toasted nuts. Alternatively, for an untraditional touch, top with a spoonful of pureed sweetened raspberies, strawberries, or red currants.

Oldposts
Dear Mr. Trivedi,
This text was so interesting. It was also nice to have you back at the forum to "chat" with us again. It's amazing to think that the recipe of rice pudding above is so old.
I'd like to take the opportunity to tell you that last Monday I made your recipe of Palak Panner and it was very delicious. I advise the other hubbers to try it.
Thank you!

Oldposts
Hello Ivete,
You know ,I am really missing Forum Hub.It is that I am xtremely busy with my other activities.
But I am thinking of allotting one day for this corner and I am going to stick to that decision.
Take care

Oldposts
Hi Mr.Trivedi,
Hope you really take that decision and come back to the Forum.I'm sure a lot of your friends here are going to appreciate it.
In the meantime, I wish you success with your other activities.
Bye!

Oldposts
Hi Hemant,

I am back after a self-imposed loooong vacation from forumhub. In fact my wife goes thru your corner and website nowadays and tries out new dishes from that. I'll try to be regular in this forum from now on.

Oldposts
Krisnaaaa....My Dear Krishna....!!!
Where were you???
You were the man who made me Food Minister in FH and then you went on a two or three years vacation...
Too long I think.
FH is not what you think now.Thank God our Food section is stillunpolluted.
So can we look forward tosome good things from you??
Where are you?
I thnk your wife for her incogniti visits to My Corner.
Shall I say, MADHAVA meaning...
MA=Don't
Dhava=Abandon.
Please don't abandon FH.
Rgds
HT
Please mail me.
Rgds

Oldposts
Hi Hemantji, I tried the Methiwale Kabuli chana recipe from your website (I had guests coming who don't eat garlic or onions) and it turned out to be really good and different from other chana recipes.

Thanks
D

Oldposts
Hello D,

Thanks for the feedback.
Very few people know that the hidden taste of many curries , especially non veg comes from Kasuru methi (crumbled) added towards the end of cooking .

Oldposts
Dear Mr. Hemantji,

I have some prob with my microwave whenever I try to roast papad in the micro it sparks y is so? First I placed them on a plate then I tried placing them directly on the try and I even tried to keep them in container and roast but it didn’t work. Can u tell me the reason pls.
Thanking you.

Oldposts
Hello Kalyani,
It is strange that you are getting sparks when you roast it directly on plate.
May be something is wrong.Please ask your micro supplier.
By the way ,how are you roasting?Dry or wet?
Wetten papads surface with water and then put in micro.You will get fine roasted crunchy papads.
I have used oil also for the same purpose.
It comes out beautiful.

Oldposts
Dear Mr. Hemant,
Thanks for the info but then when i roast the papad then only it sparks otherwise with other food i am not having problem and i keep the papad as it is without wetting and applying oil on it. And the other thing is that i want to know is should i just dip once the papad in the water or just wet with fingers. Sorry to trouble you.

Oldposts
Hello Kalyani,
Just wetten the surface of papads very lightly with water , do not dip in water.
Try starting at 30 seconds first .
Never roast papads as it is in micro.They become red and presence of soda in it may cause sparks.

Oldposts
hallo hemantji,

i tried your receipe malai kofta, it cameout very well, taste also very good, thank you., my husband also send his thanks and regards to you.

i have one more question, in your receipe (malai kofta) in the gravy prepartion,you didnt mention when can we add the mashed potato.

but i add just in last and turn out fire., i thought its correct, but i dont know.

if you have time, pl. reply this query.

Oldposts
hi hemant,
tried badhusa,cameout little hard.but tasted good.I don't know the madhuwadai dough consistancy. So i made the dough like gulabjamun dough(instant mix).Is that correct or should i make more loose dough to get soft badhusa.Thanks in advance.

Oldposts
Dear Kalyani,
I do papad in microwave,it comes out well without sparks.I don't apply water.Just place the papad and press popcorn button.wait for a second and turn it,you will get a good roasted papads. Try this..
Devi

Oldposts
Hello hemantji
i have a question about beetroot.
i happen to buy beets and when i peel the skin lightly and cut the vegetable , i get a strong falvor/ ordor like "gamagazine" a medicine used for roaches. i was afraid to cook with it so i threw the whole thing. i wanted to use it for dhals and soups but hte smell turned me off.
can you give me more insight into this.
what should i do ? i have washed it well. i dont wnat to get some cancer because i felt that they may use some stong fer tilizer to grow this.
i really appreciate your feed back and opinion on this one.
thanks in advance.
suman

Oldposts
Hello Suman,
Generally Beet has that earthy smell about it when you peal .If you wash diced pieces in common salt water and then later with plain water, you would not find the smell.
Do not worry about strong fertilizers.You must however be careful about pesticides and herbicides sprayed on Leafy vegetables , Cauliflower and Okra.(These vegetables need a lot of pesticides).

Oldposts
Dear Mr.Trivedi, how are you?
Now that you mentioned the pesticides on vegetables, I'd like to know if you have a method of getting rid of the pesticides when you wash them. Usually I wash them in running water and sometimes I leave them soaking in water and vinegar.
I buy my vegetables from a local street market. The vendors are the producers themselves. They say they don't put anything in their products but I don't believe. I think it's just a marketing trick. At least their vegetales and fruits taste much better than the ones from the supermarkets.

Oldposts
Hello Ivete,
How are you?
Yes, one way to know if they use pesticides is , if you do not find any worm holes in cabbage, or if you find pure white cauliflower or vegetables without tale tale holes made by insects, please understand that the vegetables are having a liberal dose of pesticides.
I would suggest you to first wash the vegetables in running water and then use vinegar solution /3percent alkalinesoda-bi-carb solution.Soak vegetables for 6 to 7 minutes.
And again wash with running water.
You will get rid of most of the pesticides.

Oldposts
Hi, Mr. Trivedi,
Thank you for being so prompt. I'll check my vegetables for the holes you've mentioned and wash them with that solution.
Thank you very much!

Oldposts
Hey Hemant..
Could you please give the recipe of dharwad phede.

Oldposts
Hi Mr. Trivedi,
Thanks for alloting time for us.Can you please give me the recipe for "Paal kuzhukattai".

Thank you once again.

Oldposts
Hi,

I was looking for Mr.Hemant's first version of Gun powder. Could not find in his website, so, anyone of you pls re-post the recipe here again?

thanks a lot in advance.

Oldposts
R,please check rice section(gun powder rice).

Oldposts
L, that particular recipe is not there.

Oldposts
yes it's very much there. don't check powder sec see under rice sec.

Oldposts
Thank u so much, L. I was checking in powder section only as u said.

Have u tried both I and II versions of Gun powder? If so, can u suggest me which tastes better?

Bye.

Oldposts
I tried only gun powder as i didn't have a few things to try the other one. It was really good.

Oldposts
Thanks for the quick reply. Am going to try both of his versions.

Bye.

Oldposts
Mr.Hemant,
Am unable to find your recipe for Rajma curry in your website? Can you repost it, when you can find time please?
Thanks,
Kamakshi.

Oldposts
Hemantji,
can you post the recipe for sambar idli, exactly the way it is done in hotels, Thanx in advance

Oldposts
Hello Mr.Hemant Trivedi!
Could you please explain the use of jathipaththiri in cookery?

Oldposts
Hello Mr.Hemant Trivedi!
Recently, when I was in Tamilnadu, I have met a lady from Salem and asked her about the recipe of Salem sambar for you! Here I am posting that recipe. Hope this will satisfy you.
SALEM SAMBAR:
Pressure cook 3 handfuls of lentils. Fry 1/2sp of cummin seeds, 1/2sp of coriander seeds, 1/2sp of peppercorn, 1sp of black gram, 1sp of Bengal gram, 5 red chillies and a pea-sized asafoetida in a spoon of oil to a golden brown colour and then grind them with 3 sambar onions, 3tsp of shredded coconut and 4 garlic pearls coarsely. Soak a lime sized tamarind for half an hour and extract its thick juice. Heat a vessel and pour the cooked lentils with enough water and add 1sp of turmeric powder When the dal begins to simmer, add finely cubed pieces of radishes with one cup of finely crushed tomatoes and ½ cup of sliced small onions.. Add enough salt. When the vegetables are 3/4th cooked, add the tamarind extract and cook for a few minutes. Now add the ground masala with a little of chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves. Let the sambar cook for a few minutes. Heat a small kadai and pour 3sp of gingelly oil. When the oil becomes hot add 1sp of mustards seeds. When they splutter add this to the sambar.

Oldposts
Hello Mrs. Mano,
Your devotion is amazing.
You are a dear for finally getting me the recipe which I was looking forward to.
I will try it out this weekend and let you know.
My sincere thanx to you and the unknown lady.
Jajipatri is a part of Jajika.
In Gujarat, Jajipatri is used in payasam and some spicy ladoos.
Churma-Na-Ladu recipe is there inmy website.
Insted of Cardamom, I use, Jajika and jajipatri.

Both jajika and jajipatri have a power to subdue gas and felicitate digestion of heavy foods.
Especially meats are easily digested if jajika and jajipatri are used during Marnation/later in gravy preparation.
Try out and let me know.
Hemant

Oldposts
Hello Kamakshi and Srividhya,
I will try and help u out this weekend.

Oldposts
Hello Mr.Hemant Trivedi!
I am vary happy that my recipe is useful to you. And thanks a lot for the explanation on Jathipaththiri.

Oldposts
Hello Mr. Hemanth,

I am very fond of chats and snacks. I am from Bangalore. Now i am staying in Seattle and missing the chats.

Can you please if possible let me know the recipe for Masala Puri that we get in bangalore's fast food joints.

Thanks
sneha

Roshan
22nd November 2004, 03:26 PM
Good to see this thread in the new hub :) Hope Hemant Sir continues with his recepies and tips here :)

NOV
22nd November 2004, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the new Hub Hemant-ji!

We hope you will continue with your good work here. I am quite aware of the problems at the old Hub which should not happen here.

I have learnt so much from you and your mor uppumaa and bread uppumaa are regular features in our household. :)

dev
23rd November 2004, 10:05 PM
Hi Hemanth,

I would like to have the recipe for the dhal(dhal with greens or veg in it) served in Andra restarents with meals...I've had it in a few Andhra restaurents(Bheemas,Nandhini etc) in Bangalore...I've never been able to get the recipe for it...If u happen to know the recipe,please post it...

Dr. Veena
23rd November 2004, 11:04 PM
Dear Hemantji,

I have been reading all the earlier posts and the way you clear the hubber's doubts is wonderful.

I'm planning a Dinner at my place on Friday Evening for my friend & hubby.

I'm planning to make Tomato Rice, Cauliflower Crispies, Cucumber Salad and fry Papad. What curry goes best with Tomato Rice? I was planning to make some Paneer Butter Masala.
Pls give me ur valuable opinion.
Regards,
Veena

dev
26th November 2004, 08:38 AM
Hello Mr.Hemant,

In a reply to query on pesticides,U've said tht washing veg with vineger will remove most of the pesticides...But is Vineger not harmful?... So long,I've been thinking tht vineger is also some form of chemical!!!!... Can u pls explain?...

krishnan
26th November 2004, 07:10 PM
Hi Hemant,

It has been a long time. Welcome back to the new hub. (Rather it should be your turn to welcome me back since I was absconding for years :lol: :lol: :lol: )

By the way my wife and me has tried out all of the veggie stuffs out of your receipe collection. Keep up your good work. Will try to be regular to this hub from now on.

Regards,

Krishnan

Hemant Trived1
27th November 2004, 09:05 AM
Hello Krishnan,

If "ABSCONDER OF THE CENTURY" prize were to be awarded, you are the lone contender. :evil:

Where were you all these thre years?

Welcomeback to Forum.

Thanks for your support and appreciation of the recipes.
I aim to please.

Good to have you back .

:D

Roshan
29th November 2004, 11:18 AM
Hi Hemant Sir,

Good to see you in your own thread after a long time :) Please continue your good work sir :)

krishnan
29th November 2004, 11:24 PM
Hemant,

I bet there are many contenders for absconders of century award. Hope they won't pound on you for generously granting me that award.

I still live in Cincinnati,OH. Lived here long enough and looking for a change.

Tried your 'Kothumalli rasam' during the weekend. Tasted more like 'Kothumalli thogaiyal' mixed with water and spices. Not sure if it that's the way it is supposed to taste or if I screwed it up:-))

Hemant Trived1
3rd December 2004, 07:28 PM
Dear Forum-Hubbers,

Your favourit website is going on a holiday for a month.
The website will be off net for rejuvenation.

An alternate message with an email-id will be provided if anyone wants a recipe.
Mrs. Mano too can help out with Southern Indian recipes during the period.

Hope to give a better looking site by Jan 7th.
Please bear with me till then.

Hemant

blahblah
6th December 2004, 12:07 PM
Don't worry,good things can wait.

Hemant Trived1
9th December 2004, 03:00 PM
Hello Dear Forum Hubbers,

Follwing is the link which all of you would need to save as "Favourites".

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/ricedishes.html

Clicking on the above link would take you to all my recipes as before.

Hope to reconstruct the site with a new name and a new look in a month's time.

-Sappatturaman

[/b]

Roshan
9th December 2004, 04:57 PM
Hemant Sir,

Waitin for the re constructed site - which would sure have a lot more new stuff.

I have saved the link long time ago :D And I have the hard copies for almost all your recepies . :D

deepali128
28th December 2004, 02:03 AM
hemantji your site is amazing. i will try ur receipes.

Pooh
31st December 2004, 04:46 AM
Hi Hemantji,
Tried pavakkai wafers today and they came pretty good.
Thanks

Pooh
31st December 2004, 04:47 AM
Hi Hemantji,
Tried pavakkai wafers today and they came pretty good.
Thanks

hemakk
13th January 2005, 11:51 PM
hai Hemant ji,

could you pl. post the Mango pudding.

dev
30th January 2005, 07:04 PM
Hello Mr.Hemant Trivedi,

I tried making Rasmalai using the method U've mentioned for Rossogollas...i cooked the paneer balls in water & then removed it & added into hot malai & boiled for further 5 mins...the balls were very soft but it didn't absorb the sweet from the milk...It tasted very plain...can U pls tell me where I went wrong???!!!...Should I drain the water from the balls completely, before adding it into the milk?...

Hemant Trived1
30th January 2005, 09:05 PM
Dev ,
You answered your question.
You should have drained the rasamalai of water first.
Do not add malai. Add thickened sweet milk with Kesar in it.
You may also add pistachio, kesar stemens and serve.

dev
31st January 2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks a lot Mr.Hemant Trivedi...Will try it...

dev
1st February 2005, 11:12 AM
Hello Mr.Hemant Trivedi,

I tried rasmalai again...This time i drained the water completely & then added to the milk syrup...But the result was the same...:( the balls didn't puff up even after cooking for 15 mins in boiling water...Is it because of the quality of the mik?...or should I cook it for longer?...

I felt that the balls might break if I cook longer...So removed it after 15 mins...Should it be prepared only using fresh milk?...I used Amul full cream milk...

Hemant Trived1
1st February 2005, 11:26 AM
Hello Dev,

Rasagollas are always made with Cow's milk.
I am not sure what milk you used.
Preparing chenna from milk also plays an important part .
So please lemme know the above details.

dev
1st February 2005, 12:27 PM
Hello Mr.Hemant,

It's cow's milk that is homogenised & UHT treated...I don't think we can get fresh unprocessed milk like what we get in India!!!...

Also let me know how well should the paneer be mixed & for how long(approx) it should be cooked in water?...

dev
7th February 2005, 08:08 AM
Hello Mr.Hemant,

I tried Phulkas today... It came out well but a few didn't puff up well coz of it's shape ,i guess... Hmmm...once i master the art of rolling out the dough,I can make perfect phulkas ,guess...At first,I was scared to put the chapathis directly over flame...But then after I tried one,felt it was fun making it this way...My husband was watching all these as if it was a magic show coz we south Indians r not used to making phulkas...:)) Thank U very much for sharing the recipe...Hats off to you & keep up your great work...:)

Thattai
9th February 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi HEmant,

Have not yet had the oppurtunity to try ur phulka method, but I did make Gun powder as per ur directions this morning... and it was AWESOME!!! I can't wait to share it with the rest of my family... tx for the recipe!!!

PS: Initially, I thought that there was too much podi, but after trying it at lunch time, I think that I may have to make a new batch pretty soon!!! :D

Hemant Trived1
9th February 2005, 05:22 PM
Gun powder has never failed to tickle the taste buds of people.
No wonder you also fell a prey to it. !! :twisted:

Seriously speaking, it is a wonderful powder to have with rice.
Enjoy !! :thumbsup:

pr
10th February 2005, 12:17 AM
Dear hemantji
Could you please share with us the secret of storing the chappathis soft . I went through the old responses of preparing soft chappathis and phulkas . I will try using your hint .
But my problem is the chappathis r soft when prepared and eaten fresh . I tried storing the chappathis in a ziploc bag in fridge and microwaved it for a whilewhen needed . but they turn to be very hard
But you know what ?? the one we get from shops . ... How r they very soft ?? I dont face the problem when i buy chappathis from store . Do they add any special ingredient to make it soft ..
Pls clarify me in this regard .. It will be helpful to me very much as i want to prepare and store it .. Your help is greatly appreciated ..
Thanks and regards

pr
10th February 2005, 12:18 AM
Dear Thattai
Can u pls repost the recipe of gun powder u tried ??
Thanks and Regards

vm
10th February 2005, 12:21 AM
hemantji,

When are u going to post new recipes? Is your site ready hope to see the new site soon.

kavithasenthil
10th February 2005, 02:02 AM
Hello pr,
u r correct. The chapatis bought from the store is soft even after couple of days. I have no idea how they make it. But i have some tips to share with you. Take couple of home made chapati in a plate and cup of water along with it. Heat it in the microwave for 2 mins. Amazingly u will get soft chapati. The chapatis won't get harder while headting becaz u keep a cup of water in side the micro. Try it. Surely u will get good result.

pr
10th February 2005, 02:22 AM
Dear Kavitha senthil ..
I will try ur method .. usually i wrap the chappathis in a wet paper towel and warm it in microwave .. But this works only for shop chappathis .. Anyways i will try ur tip and let u know the result ..
Thanks for ur response .. byebye

imgr8
10th February 2005, 05:20 AM
Can u tell me the recipe for vegetarian munchurian

Thattai
10th February 2005, 05:32 PM
Dear PR,

The foll is the recipe for GUn Powder as shared by Hemant earlier... Make and ENJOY!!!

QUICK-FIX LUNCH POSTING # 14
Anyone who has ever taken Andhra Meals in a Genuine Andhra Restaurant, would be served with Gun Powder with Rice and Ghee.The most beautiful thing about GunPowder Rice is, the more you have it, the hungrier you become.Keep Gun Powder prepared in your house and I bet you will get addicted to having Gun Powder Rice almost daily.I have seen people just having Gun powder rice and almost nothing else.Go ahead and try out.One of the Most Addicted person is my son who would not refuse it all the 365 days.The condition is, THE RICE MUST BE STEAMING AND THE GHEE SHOULD BE HOT.
INGREDIENTS (For Gun Powder)
Puffed Channa Grams(oduchhu kadalai) 350 gms
Red Chillies 10 to 15 nos
Garlic 75 to 100 gms
Ghee 2 to 3 spoons
Salt to taste (2 tsp)
METHOD OF PREPARATION
Take a kadai and fry red chillies for just 30 seconds lightly.Add Puffed Grams with Chillies and fry/roast for about five minutes in Ghee.The condition is that the grams should leave all the moisture and chillies must be dry.Add peeled Garlic and turn three or four times, add salt , mix properly and set aside to cool.
When cold, powder it in a mixi.Sift the Gun powder to remove hard Gram particles.At this stage taste for salt.Powder the hard portion last.The powder should NOT be like maida.Fill it up in a dry glass bottle with wide mouth.Keeps good for months.
Prepare rice as usual up to your need.The rice is going to be served steaming so you must cook with minimum needed water.
Serve rice which is steaming.Add two spoons of Ghee on top of rice and add required GUN POWDER on top.Mix and enjoy!!!
This rice must be eaten while really hot.The rice may feel dry to eat with Gun Powder but surprisingly it will not stick to your chest or throat.The more you eat, the hungrier you will become.
So Go and Get Hooked to this Andhra Wonder.!!!
After Ghee Rice, I am sure that this will draw maximum response.!!
Ps.
Fix number of chillies as per your ability to withstand hotness.But I recommand that you must stick to specified quantity.
please do not brown the Kadalai. Kadalai should be just pink and that too light.
Do not slice the cloves of Garlic.
Fry only in Ghee please.

PS: As mentioned above, I HAVE been having it daily ever since I made it, and with ghee as well, even though otherwise my intake of ghee is a rarity, but I DO think that it makes all the difference :D

Thattai
10th February 2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Hemant,

I made phulkas as per your method, but they became biscuits :( , so after a couple of them I went back to my method of sekhoing both sides on the tawa before flipping them on the flame, and then I got good results. So I think that I will knead the dough as per your method (which was very similar to mine - only thing is I usually use less oil to knead and also don't coat the dough with oil to rest it), and prepare the phulkas by my method...

So end of the day, ur method WAS able to help to a certain extent. So thanks... :)

Also, tried ur potatoes in spicy gravy. But my hubby thought there was too much dhania flavour (so I'll reduce the leaves in the paste next time) and also that it was too khatta. What could be the cause of that? Any inputs would help... Tx!

kavithasenthil
10th February 2005, 08:29 PM
Hello thattai,
Can you tell me how many heads of garlic weigh 75 gms?(i live in usa)Also need pottukadalai in cup measurement. Thanks in advance.

Thattai
11th February 2005, 08:22 AM
Sorry,

Can't help u with ur query, as I bought them according to weight... But I did use about 5 heads of indian garlic, which is the smaller variety. Don't know about the chinese garlic.

Also, unfortunately did not measure the oddicha kadalai either (I actually should have done that for my own future reference...) So u could probably try and get the items weighed if u have access to kitchen scales... Else maybe someone else has a solution???

dev
11th February 2005, 08:29 AM
I guess U can buy a kitchen weiging scale & a measuring cup...Will be very useful if u want to try making cakes ,cookies etc...& even for everyday cooking it'll be helpful...

dev
11th February 2005, 08:37 AM
Hi Thattai,

In Mr.Hemant's Phulka recipe too he has asked to cook the chapathis on tava until u start getting small bubbles...only then U'll 've to flip over the flame...Make sure that the moisture is 3/4 evaporated before flipping over direct flame...else it'll stick on to the burner or the holder...

& I too don't use oil for the dough but even then the result was fantastic...

dev
11th February 2005, 05:40 PM
Hello Mr.Hemant,

Tried gun powder today... It was just fantastic... Had all nostalgic thoughts of the food we used to get in Bangalore...especially the Andhra food in Bheemas & Nandhini... It would be good if u can post the dhal we used to get with meals in these restaurents ...

Thattai
13th February 2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Dev,

If I remember right, in Hemant's recipe, he has asked to cook only one side on the tava and then flip on the flame. Somehow, this did not work for me... I usually cook both sides on the tava and then flip on the flame, which gives me puffed (but sometimes torn)phulkas.

I would guess that this would also evaporate most of the moisture from the phulkas, but I'll bear what you have written in mind. So maybe I'll give The Method one more shot... :) Tx for ur inputs...

dev
14th February 2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Mr.Hemant,

Tried Rasgollas again...This time with fresh milk...got very very delicate spongy rasgollas...Thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

Hi Thattai,

U'll 've to cook on BOTH sides before U flip the chapathi over flame... No change in tht...:)

pr
16th February 2005, 01:24 AM
Dear hemantji
Waiting for ur response abt chappathi storage ..

Hemant Trived1
16th February 2005, 03:55 PM
Hi friends,
I am out of station till 23rd,February.
Will post answers to all questions on return.

pr
21st February 2005, 08:11 AM
Hello thattai
I tried preparing the gun powder . I tasted it immediately after i prepared it . I felt the raw taste of garlic . Is that the way it shld be or did i go wrong .. should the garlic be roasted for some more time .??. the problem is if i try roasting the garlic till the raw smell goes off , then the kadalai will turn brown .. or can i roast the garlic separately ..
Pls clarify me when u get time..
How about the life of this powder , becoz its not dry and it has some moisture in it right??
Thanks and regards

dev
24th February 2005, 12:21 PM
Hi pr,

U can reduce the quantity of garlic if U don't like garlic... I too use only 60% of that mentioned in the recipe...

I don't know abt the life of it coz it usually gets over very soon...:)

pr
24th February 2005, 08:35 PM
thanx dev , but is there any way to get rid of the raw taste of garlic ...

pr
25th February 2005, 10:13 AM
Any other use of this gun powder apart mixing it with rice ??

Thattai
27th February 2005, 05:38 PM
Hi PR,

I followed the method given EXACTLY, and it came out just fine. I don't know whether the variety of garlic would make any difference. I made it a point to use the Indian variety which are very small pods as compares to the 'chinese' versions that are available nowadays, so they may have cooked faster.

If you find the garlic flavour overpowering, you can always try reducing the amount that you add, as suggested by Dev. As to roasting the garlic seperately, you could always try that as well and see how it works for you.

Thattai
27th February 2005, 05:40 PM
Hi Hemant,

Tried your rasam podi and it was very good. My family is really surprised that I am enthu enough to make all these podis at home (AND that they turn out this good!!!! :D ), and I have to say that it is thanks to this forum and your recipes in particular. Thanks!

R
27th February 2005, 06:38 PM
While making raithas, can add this gun powder and I always do it.

Or, try this modified gun powder pachadi which is a side dish for chappathi/rice.

Heat oil, season with mustard, urad dal, curry leaves. Add onion saute and put tomato, green chillies and a cup of water. Let it boil. Now, add gun powder(depending on yr taste). Before you switch off the stove, add 2 sp of fresh curd. Mix and garnish with coriander leaves.

One more method-while making thin dosas, can pour the gun powder on top of it(on the tava,while cooking). You can flip over the dosa, if it is a thicker one or can serve directly in case of thin dosas.

Bye.

Thattai
1st March 2005, 10:12 AM
Hi Hemant,

Just want to know what variety of chilly you recommend for the podi recipes that you have given.

Tx...

Hemant Trived1
1st March 2005, 12:21 PM
Hello Thattai,

Andhrawadu friends use Guntur Chilli. :twisted: :evil:

Our Tamiz peopleuse Warangal/Gundu Mozaka. :evil:

I prefer to use Mixture of Warangal and Bedagi in 30:70 proportion.
I use this combination because the Bedagi gives wonderful aroma and colour and Warangal gives the necessary "kick". :lol: :twisted:

Someone was asking about problem of Raw Garlic smell.
Garlic may be gheefried a little more if the smell is too much .
This is because some people have acute sensitivity to Garlic/Hing smell.

Thattai
3rd March 2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Hemant,

Thanks for the reply and also good to see you back after a while. Hope to also see some new recipes from you soon.... :D

vm
6th March 2005, 03:30 AM
Hemanthji,

Can u tell me where i can get the white stem of banana(vazhaitandu). Since there is no banana thopu here. I need to know what other country grocery stores carry these. Its kind of urgent pl let me know. :cry:

Hemant Trived1
6th March 2005, 06:25 AM
Hello VM,
Which part of the world you are in? :roll: :?:

Shoba
7th March 2005, 09:54 AM
Dear Mr Trivedi,

Can you suggest some recipes which makes use of cooked rice & curds? I have huge quantities of both and have already made the various mixed-rice dishes, koottu & aviyal varieties, lassi and mor. My neighbour was leaving town and she donated some 1kg cooked rice and about 3litres of curd!

I posted this same query on a separate thread.

Thank you.

Shoba

vm
7th March 2005, 07:35 PM
Hemanthji,

I live in cleveland

kavithasenthil
10th March 2005, 03:17 AM
Hello Hemant,

I have tried ur rasagulla recipe couple of weeks ago. It was total flop. I have no idea where i went wrong. The rasagullas tasted like sweetend paneer. The textuer also like paneer but not like rasagulla. Where i went wrong? Were they under cooked? I used corn starch for starch powder the recipe calls for. Is that is the different powder? Can you help me if you have time? If it was under cooked can you tell me the app. time? I like to try again.

Hemant Trived1
11th March 2005, 11:21 PM
Dear Forum Hubbers,
An ardent follower of mine from Singapore Sri Muru Mike has compiled all my recipes in a e-book form on KEYNOTE software.
I am planning to distribute this e-book containing hundreds of time tested and well appreciated recipes to all food lovers of forumhub.
Please send me personal mail to enrole to get the book.

I have requested Mr. Mike to help me out in this work.
As soon as he finishes giving final touches and updates it, I will start sending the book to everyone.
This will mean that you would not need to visit my website every now and then to refer a recipe.
All thanks to Forumhub and all food lovers who have supported me for the last 4 years.

kavithasenthil
12th March 2005, 04:59 AM
Hello Dev,

I know u have tried rasgulla. Hope u read my query. If you know the answere could you pls post it for me?

Hemant Trived1
12th March 2005, 06:19 AM
Hello Kavitha,
Rosogollas are a very tricky sweet.
Most important is Milk.
The milk needsto be cow's milk.
Next is starch.
Puritans of Bengali sweets will frown upon usage of starch.
It has to be very mild and least sticky starch of SHINGODA which grow in lakes and ponds.
Please refrain from using any other forms of starch.
If possible, avoid using it altogether.
The third problem area is making a firm but yet cohesive dough of cheese. Don't use too much force and pressure.

Using sweetened milk for cooking the cheese ball*s is best.
If you are using starch as binder, then only use water.
Or else avoid it.
I am sure, it will come out well once you have perfected the art of cooking cheese ball*s in milk.
Don't be dis-heartened.

kavithasenthil
12th March 2005, 07:10 AM
Hello Hemant,
Thankyou so much for ur reply. I live in US and I used the Vitamin D Milk. I hope that is cow's milk. So in future i avoid using starch and cook the balls in sweetend milk. I try soon and let you know how it truned out. Thankyou once again for elaborated reply.

nirupama
15th March 2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Hemant,

Could you please send me the receipe for vegetable sagu. Thanks

svasu_ani
21st March 2005, 01:21 AM
hi hemant ji,

I have printed all the recipes from ur site and have filed them. And today first time I made Veg kurma and was a great hit. It was really simple to make and had come out well. My husband is from Andhra and liked it.

Thanks
Anitha

Hemant Trived1
31st March 2005, 03:02 PM
Dear Hubbers,
I am posting a recipe after a long time. I intend posting a recipe almost every alternate day.
I am posting a Raitha recipe with explanation which might be of interest to you all.
Happy cooking.!! :D

RAITHA...RAITU
Hundreds of recipes of Raithas are available in books and on the net.
The question is ,

"WHAT IS RAITHA?"

Basically Raita/Raitu is a Gujarati dish which is
neither pure salad nor a pickle and also not a Chutney.
It is somewhere between dish generally enjoyed with heavy sweets
like Ladoo made from pure ghee.
It has a pungent smell and a sweetish/sour taste mingled with aroma of nascent mustard
It surely packs a kick. :twisted:

Word Raitha as it stands, is coined from the word,
Rai = Mustard
Atho = To pickle/To ferment.
In a Raitha, two ingredients are a must.
They are, Mustard seeds and Curds.

I have been seeing a lot of recipes of so called Raithas
with most inconceivable ingredients like Brijals,and other
vegetables. Just as you can't call any ladoo as Boondi Ladoo,
you cannot call any curd dish minus Mustard seeds as Raitha.

A typical traditionalRaitha does not involve cooking
of any ingredient.

I am posting a basic raitha recipe of Banana which is
one of the traditional recipes .

PAKA KELA NU RAITU

INGREDIENTS

Ripe but firm Banana...... 1 nos

Small sized Mustard seeds...1 tsp.
(If you are new to this type of Raitha,
Please start with 1/4 tsp of Mustard seeds)

Fresh curds.................250 ml
Salt........................1/4 to 1/2 tsp (As per taste)
Green chiilies..............1 no
Ginger......................1/4" piece (Optional)
Sugar.......................2 tbsp
Kothumalli/cilantro.........1 spoon.

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Grind coarsly mustard seeds in a mixi and remove black husk
of upper skin layer and set aside.
Slice one green chilli of medium hot variety in thin shreds,
pluck kothumalli leaves and set aside.

Take curds in a glass bowl and add ground and dehusked Mustard.
You may add salt at this stage.Mix well.
Leave the mustard+curds mixture for about two hours at
room temperature after covering it with a plate.

After 2 hours, just smell the mixture. If it gives off strong pungent
aroma of nascent mustard, then it is ready for further treatment.

Now just befor lunch/dinner,first add sugar and mix it thoroughly.
Now make small pieces of Banana and add to fermented mixture.
Add finely sliced green chilli and shredded ginger (Optional)
and garnish with Kothumalli.

It tastes great with ghee sweets, Roti/parathas
and you can use it as a taste changer.
You may use any fruit or Bundhi to make this raita.
Please send in your feedback. !!
Enjoy

Hemant Trived1
1st April 2005, 06:03 PM
Hello Friends,
I am planning to post POTATO-VERMICELLI ROLLS tomorrow.

If you have suggestions or requests for FRY items/Tiffin items recipes, please let me know.

tomato
1st April 2005, 09:36 PM
pls post some easy recipes which can be packed for lunch to office/school. Lunch-box specials.

Hemant Trived1
2nd April 2005, 11:25 AM
Hello Tomato,
You may use URL to my website which is full of recipes you are asking for.
Click on the following link please.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/tiffin.html

You can try this one also.

Shoba
2nd April 2005, 03:49 PM
Dear Mr Trivedi,

Today I tried lemon rice and it turned out very well. I'm so used to making lemon rice with a pinch of asofoetida, and your recipe doesnt have it..but it was delicious all the same! I omitted the onions though, and instead of whole fried fenugreek seeds I used the powdered version (broiled fenugreek and powdered).

Hubbers, please give this recipe a try!

Shoba

Hemant Trived1
3rd April 2005, 05:45 PM
Hello Shobha,
Thanks for the feedback.
My wife likes to prepare with perangayam.
I haven't come to like it in this recipe.May be I lose fine aroma of Curry leaves in Elumicha sadham if I use asafoetida and this prevents me .

Hemant Trived1
4th April 2005, 05:03 PM
POTATO-VERMICELLI ROLLS

POTATO-VERMICELLI ROLLS is a savory which is very easy to make
and is so tasty that you would like to make it often.
It is crispy and crunchy with soft centre.
It tastes fabulous with very simple spices which are
used just like in Batata Wada. It is usually eaten with
spicy sweet sour Tamarind / Khajur Chutney or plain Tomato Sauce.

INGREDIENTS

(For five people one helping of about four rolls each)

FOR THE STUFFING

750 gms. Potatoes of Thick skin variety
50 to 75 gms of toast crumbs
1 or 2 onions(Make crunchy rough paste)
1 Small Bunch of Kothumalli
5 Nos. Green chillies finely chopped
1.5" Ginger piece finely sliced
1/2 sp. Turmeric powder (optional)
1 Sp. Garam Masala
1 sp. of Cumin+Dhania powder
1/2 sp of Cinnamon powder
2 Sp. Lime Juice
2 to 3 Sp. Sugar
1 Sp. Asafoetida (OPTIONAL)
Salt to taste

FOR COVERING POTATO ROLLS

150 gms of Vermicelli broken in very small pieces
(use BAMBINO OR GOOD BRANDED SEMIYA ONLY)

METHOD OF PREPARATION

For the stuffing, first steam cook potatoes in a pressure cooker.
Remove the skin and let cool.
Now add, salt, Kothumalli, Green chillies and Garam masala,cinnamon
and Dhania-Jeera powders,Lime Juice, Sugar and salt.
Also make rough crunchy paste(Don't make smooth paste) of Onion.
Remove as much water content as possible by pressing with palm.
Add the crunchy onion paste to filling dough.
finally add toast powder/crumbs and mix thouroughly .
Don't press very hard.
Bread/toast crumbs will bind the potato rolls and also
give it uniform golden brown colour.
perangayam and slowly mix the ingredients thoroughly .

Potatoes must not have lumps.
The stuffing should be totally smooth except for crunchy onions.
Let the potatoes be mashed uniformly.
Once all the ingredients are mixed ,
taste for salt and other things. Add anything you want at
this stage. Now take a big plate, smear some oil on the
surface to avoid rolls sticking to surface.

start making potato rolls of the Potato stuffing and place
in the plate. Try making all of them of even size.
Rub some oil on your palms to avoid
potato sticking to your palms. Keep aside.
Take a plate and fill up nicely broken vermicelli/semiya
to 1cm length, spread it and keep aside.

Heat oil in a kadai . While it is getting heated, take one roll and
roll it lightly in semiya plate evenly spreading semiya sticking
to its surface evenly.Take care to see that semiya is firmly sticking
to potato rolls and will not come loose while frying in oil.
Drop it carefully in oil or place it on a poori frying zaari(SpatSpoon) dip the zaari(SpatSpoon) in oil if you don't want to get oil burns while droping.and fry at medium flame. Keep turning to give it an uniform golden colour.

Serve with sweet Tamarind/Khajur chutney or tomato sauce.
Tastes heavenly as it is also.

Enjoy!!!
And Don't forget to post your feedback !!!

sarithasai5
5th April 2005, 04:42 AM
Hi Mr.Hemanth!
I am Saritha.New to this forum.
I thank and appreciate for ur recipes here.I happened to read them only today.
Will try Potato Vermicelli rolls soon.
Thanq :)

Hemant Trived1
5th April 2005, 02:59 PM
Hello Friends,

Someone had requested for school lunch/light refreshment recipes.
I will be posting a very easy to make BATETA PAUVA / KANDA POHA / SPICY AVALAKKI , dishes whichare extremely popular in Maharashtrian, Gujarati and Kannadiga homes.

Mind you, I will be posting three recipes .
This is because Poha/Pauva and Avalakki prepared in different states taste very different.
Tomorrow I will start with Kannada style Avalakki.

svasu_ani
5th April 2005, 07:48 PM
Hi,

I wasnt knowing there were two varieties of corn flour - white and the yellow, and had picked yellow corn flour. How can I use the yellow corn flour? Any recipes??

ANitha

R
6th April 2005, 12:22 AM
I also did the same mistake. You can try making upma(just like our rava upma) and can try making kesari, but, am not impressed with the taste.

One more recipe is corn flour usili which is like our regular usili with vegetables and channa dal. Instead of dal, make corn flour batter as dosa and once it cooks fully, cut into small pieces. Then, mix with vegetables and do seasoning. Hope this is clear.

Hemant Trived1
7th April 2005, 11:40 AM
Dear Hubbers,
I am posting Beaten Rice/ Aval/ Avalakki recipes starting today with Maharashtrian recipe.
Tomorrow will be Karnataka recipe of Avalakki.
Enjoy !!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A visit to Maharashtrian home would invariably result in you being offered famous Kanda-Poha.
My first taste of this wonderfully simple but very tasty dish was at PACHMARHI in Madhya Pradesh
in summer of 1978.
It was at the home of maharashtrian army colonel. I am giving the recipe as follows.

Kaanda Poha is a traditional Maharashtrian snack which sometimes works as
main dish also. There are many variations . I am giving the one I like most.

KAANDA-POHA (Maharashtrian Onion Beaten Rice)
INGREDIENTS

3 cups beaten rice (poha)
1 Medium sized potato,(diced)
1.5 to 2 Ladles cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Urad Dhall (Optional)
1 tbsp of kismis (Raisin)
8 to 10 broken cashewnuts
1/4 to 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2to3 green chillies cut finely
1 medium onion,thinly sliced
salt to taste
Little water to sprinkle
1/2 Tsp lemon, juice
chopped coriander leaves (1/4 cup)
2 sprigs Curry leaves.

METHOD OF PREPARATION:

Select beaten rice(POHA) which are firm and not waferlike. Ask for Jada/Mota poha.
Poha is available in different thicknesses. Hence select firm but not too thick and small poha.

Soak poha in enough water to cover for 5to 7 minutes.
First drain excess water and squeeze out by pressing handfuls of beaten rice.
Don't press too hard or else poha will become broken useless mass.
But don't let much water be left or else the end dish will become soggy.Set aside .
You may use absorbet paper to spread and then use poha.

Dice potatoes in small size of 3 cm cubes and set aside.
Heat oil in a Kadai/skillet , add the mustard seeds, Ulundhu/urad dhall,
add cashew pieces when mustard starts crackling.
When cashew becomes light golden , add curry leaves and finely cut green chillies.
Add Kismis last.
Now first add the onion and then potato and saute for four to five minutes.
Take care to see that potato pieces are not tough.
Add salt and sprinlkle little water, and cover with a plate.
After 5 minutes, uncover, add the poha and saute for another 5 minutes.
Take care not to break poha in irragula mass as it will lose its appeal.
Remove from flame add lime juice, turn it a little to let lime juice mix properly.
Garnish with chopped coriander.

Serve hot.

Enjoy !!

Hemant Trived1
7th April 2005, 07:36 PM
Hello Friends,

For a long time, I was contemplating posting recipes for diabetics..
Infact last year, I had worked on the project for some time.
But due to my preoccupation with other interests, I could not answer the needs.
Starting tomorrow, I would be posting atleast one recipe for diabetics per week.
Hope people would benefit from this.

Hemant Trivedi

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR MORE RECIPES.

ash_970
7th April 2005, 08:00 PM
Hello Hemant bhai,

Appreciate your offer with the new series of snacks for kids.

As I know you are an expert cook with very wide knowledge of

dishes from different regions of India.

I would request that when ever you find time please give the

recipes for few forgotton dishes from Gujarat. They were served in

the traditional Gujarati occasions mainly in Charotar area.

e.g Naat ni daal...Bateka nu shaak.....Khasta puri.....Giloda nu

shaak...fulvadi.....Bundi....Naat ni kadhi.....Mohan thaal

These were made by traditional maharaajs in Gujarat ...like me

many of my friends from Charotar might remember this dishes

best regards

Hemant Trived1
7th April 2005, 08:48 PM
Hello Ash,
You are absolutely right.
With coming in of Hotel receptions and hotel/caterers food , traditional foods of festivals and marriages are being
forgotten.
I have posted Churma Na Ladu in my website. But a lot needs to be done.
Some of the dishes which are rare nowadays are,
Nat-Nu- Bataka nu shaak,
Naat ni daal, Khata-Mitha wal, Nat ni Kadhi, Fulwada, Methi na Gota etc.
I would surely post these recipes in days to come.
How about calling it as " NAAT NU JAMAN" Recipes?
Thanks for reminding me.
Hemant Trivedi

Try the following recipe,

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/snacks/methi-na-gota.html

ash_970
7th April 2005, 09:05 PM
Dear Hemant bhai,

Very glad to know that you would publish this recipes.

'NAAT NU JAMAN' is a fabulous idea ,will be a sure hit with food

lovers...I have already started getting the aroma.

..chalo pachhi bolavo badhane jamava

( Lets invite all the food lovers for a traditional guju 'naat ni thali'

full with love)

Best regards

dev
8th April 2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Mr,Hemant,

I tried the raita U posted sometime back...Guess coz I'm not used to,I didn't like the flavour of mustard in raita... :roll: Will try it without mustard next time & let U know the result...

Hemant Trived1
8th April 2005, 07:46 PM
Hello Dev,
Thanks for the feedback.
I had warned in the recipe that this Raitha packs a kick. :twisted:

I maintain that Raitha without Rai (Mustard) cannot be called a Raitha.

Just like Rava kesari has to have rava, Raitha/Raitu has to have Rai (Mustard).

Hemant Trived1
8th April 2005, 07:52 PM
Hello Ash,

Gujarati Naat Nu Jaman will start with NAAT NI DAAL.
I will post the recipe tomorrow.

kavithasenthil
8th April 2005, 08:14 PM
Hello Hemant,

Years back(3 yrs?) i told you that paneer is closely related to ricotta cheese but not cottage cheese. The texture of cottage cheese is different. But you haven't agreed.

Now you keep on saying...raita with out mustard is not raita. I amazed of your adamant nature. :huh:

Hemant Trived1
8th April 2005, 08:29 PM
Hello Kavithasenthil,
That's how I am. :lol:

Too late to change me.

ash_970
8th April 2005, 08:40 PM
Thank you Sir,

Dear food lovers , the recipes that will come in

'NAAT NU JAMAN' (means COMMUNITY FEAST) through Hemantbhai

would be worth trying.

My friends from North and South might find them bit

on the sweeter side but I assure you they are just great traditional

dishes from GUJARAT.

( consider that sweetness as symbol of GUJARATI love and

friendliness)

Hemant bhai ,Thank you again for considering the request

Hemant Trived1
8th April 2005, 08:45 PM
Dear Friends,

From today, I am posting recipes of various food items
which are meant for DIABETICS.

Diabetes is slowly becoming a scourge with modern life style.
Diet control and exercise are two major helps to help controlling it along with medicines.
I am starting with Breakfast items meant for diabetics.

DIABETIC-FOOD,
(Breakfast items)

Recipe # 1

KHAKHARA (Flat Toast)

Khakharas are very wholesome, nourishing and great item for breakfast.
It is also a very good recipe which diabetics can use . The sugar content
is very low and active carbohydrates are easy on stomach.

For khakharas , you will have to start with leftover Phulkas or from fresh phulkas.
I am again giving method to make phulkas as under.

METHOD:

FOR PREPARING PHULKA DOUGH:

To make nice chappathis/Phulkas which Balloon when Roasted on fire, you need to make the dough
in the following manner. Take required amount of (two cups) Whole wheat flour. Add Two or three
table spoons of cooking oil and half a spoon of salt. Mix the oil , salt and the whole wheat
flour thoroughly. Now take some water and slowly start adding and kneading the dough. When the
dough is sufficiently soft, keep it aside for at least one hour after smearing the whole kneaded
dough with half a spoonful of oil to avoid drying up. Make urndais of only lemon size of dough
to roll Chappathis.(sometimes on keeping for an hour, you may have to still soften the dough
with a little bit of water as wheat flour sometimes absorbs water more than usual). You must
not add too much water or else the chappathis will not balloon and you will not be able to make
thin chapattis or Phulkas.

ROLLING ROUND PHULKA:

Take half a cup of wheat flour and set it aside in plate. Place on urundai on rolling stone
and slightly flatten it with palm. Now With a rolling pin, roll the chappathis on the stone.
Once the flattened dough is thin and starts sticking to roller pin, turn the chappathi in dry
flour on both the sides and start rolling in round shape. You may have to turn the chappathis
in dry flour twice or thrice in order to get very thin (2.5-3mm) thickness without sticking.
(Do not under any circumstances let dry flour stick too much to rolled chappathis surface or
else, when roasting on naked flame, burning smell of flour will spoil the taste of chappathis.)
Now take the rolled flat uncooked chappathi and first place it on Tava.As soon as slight bulges
start forming, With a chimta or a fork remove the chappathi from Tava and place directly on fire
or flame of the stove. You will be amazed to see perfectly round Phulkas .Turn it and cook
it on both the sides. Remove from flame and apply nei (ghee) on the thinner side of the phulka.

You need to make KHAKHARAS which is the prime intention.
So you can start with leftover phulkas or fresh phulkas once they have come to room temperature.

You will need to roast phulkas/chappathis on a tawa using thick cloth held in hand as a
thick padding.Use medium flame/heat and press the phulka firmly with dry clothing pad.
(You can use old cloth) Go on rotating the chapathi on tawa while you are firmly pressing it .
Roast both the sides to a biscuit brown shade.
The aroma of ghee will be very enticing.
When done, leave the khakhara to cool.
It becomes very crispy. Make at least ten to fifteen khakharas at a time and store it.
They keep good for months.
Good for people of all ages and diabetics.

Khakharas are best enjoyed with Khakhara powder. This is a must for diabetics.

METHI-MASALA POWDER (For Khakhara)

(Fenugreek powder)

INGREDIENTS

100 gms methi (Fenugreek)
25 gms Red chilli powder (LESS IF CHILI POWDER IS HOT)
Salt to taste
Hing a pinch
Black salt a little
Oil two to three spoons.

METHOD OF PREPARATION

Very lightly fry fenugreek in oil and then mix with chilli powder and salt and Raw Asfaoetida and rock salt.
Now make a rough powder like idly podi.
PRESTO...Your methi masala for khakhara is ready.Use chili powder to your taste please.
SPREAD A LITTLE GHEE ON A KHAKHRA AND SPRINKLE METHI MASALA POWDER.

ENJOY!!!! And I would love to have your feed back please.

dev
8th April 2005, 08:58 PM
I had warned in the recipe that this Raitha packs a kick. :twisted:
I maintain that Raitha without Rai (Mustard) cannot be called a Raitha.
Just like Rava kesari has to have rava, Raitha/Raitu has to have Rai (Mustard).

Even though it can't be called raita,I believe it'll not go to the waste bin. :wink: :lol:

Just kidding...But I've to tell U the truth...there were no takers for it & so it landed in the waste bin... :cry: I don't say that ur recipe is not good...it's just that we didn't like the flavour...same as U don't like perungayam in lemon rice...:)

Hemant Trived1
8th April 2005, 10:48 PM
Hello Dev,

:(

Hemant Trived1
9th April 2005, 12:52 PM
Hello Again DEV,

After your feedback of Raitha, I have modified the recipe to suit universal taste.
Thanks for your honest feedback.

dev
9th April 2005, 01:20 PM
Hope it'll be better that way...:)

Hemant Trived1
9th April 2005, 08:12 PM
Don't all of us live on hope ?

magnolia
13th April 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi Mr.hemant,
I am a new member and would really appreciate if you could tell me methods of making chappati / phulkas with the use of a coil . I am from US and don't have a burner and have a hard time getting them to be baloon like. Are there any suggestions to improvise.
Thanks in advance.

guhapriya
13th April 2005, 09:20 PM
Any one can suggest how to use

Hemant Trived1
15th April 2005, 02:18 PM
DIABETIC-FOOD,
(Breakfast items)

Recipe # 2

ADAI with Vendhium PODI (For Dosai/Idly/Adais)

For a diabetic person, morning pangs of
hunger are unbearable. The person feels very
hungry and needs a lot of breakfast.
I am giving a recipe of Adai which will be apt for
such needs.

INGREDIENTS

Rice (Par Boiled)..1/2 cup
Green gram dhall...1/4 cup
Channa/Toor Dhall..1/4 cup
Ulundhu(Urad) dhall1/4 Cup
Fenugreek seeds....2 tbsp
Green chillies.....3 to 4 nos
Ginger.............2" piece
coriander leaves...1/4 cup
Asafoetida.........1/4 Sp.
Salt...............to taste
Oil................1/2 cup

Method of Preparation

Pre wash all the dhalls and rice and then soak in water for about 2 hours.
Strain out the water after that and make paste of all the
Ingredients except the hing(Asafoetida)and salt.
Take care not to make a very fine paste.
It should be like idly batter. If you are making Adais, immediately , then you may add salt.

You can prepare Adais immediately after making the batter or let it ferment for the night.

Spread the batter on tawa like you do for dosai and add oil round the adai on the edges.
Sometimes in fresh batter adais, you may need to poke the centre of the adai and make slits
and pour a little oil there to let it get evenly browned.

Turn once and cook the underneath .

Serve the adais with Coconut Chutney or better still with Vendhium podi
the recipe of which is as under.

VENDHIUM PODI (For Diabetics and Lacteting mothers only)

50 gms Vendhium (Fenugreek)
8 Nos of red chillies
1/4 cup Channa+Ulundhu dhalls (25:75 ratio)
1+1/2 spoons of Dhania and Jeera seeds
Tamarind ball(Small marble sized)
Salt to taste
Hing ....1/4 spoon
Oil ..1 ladle

Method Of Preparation

Very lightly fry fenugreek and chillies along with Dhania and Jeera and Tamarind.
Now fry the dhalls till pink.
Grind coarsly dhalls and dhania jeera and fenugreek seeds along with raw asafoetida and Salt.
Make a coarse powder like idly podi.
Enjoy with Diabetic breakfast of Idly/Dosai/Adai or Pesrettu.

You can make normal Adais by reducingFenugreek
(Add 1/4 spoon of Fenugreek only for normal Adais)

Enjoy !!

For complete recipes you may visit,

Hemant Trived1
16th April 2005, 07:11 AM
NAAT NU JAMAN

Recipe #1 Naat Ni Daal (Vara Ni Dhaal)

When you are served Naat Ni Dhall during community lunch during marriage feast,
you will immediately notice the difference between the usual thinnish dhaal you are used to
taking and Vara ni dhaal or Naat ni Dhaal.

NAAT NI DALL is different in consistancy and taste.It is thick and more tastier with
well cooked groundnuts . What makes it different?

There are some factors which bring about a change in taste in NAAT NI DAAL.
The secret lies in Method of cooking and vessels used, and to an extent some ingredients
which are used.Food cooked during marriages and other community feeding
uses CHULS (Earthen fireplaces specially built) and wooden logs fire.
All vessels are Tin (Kalai) coated. Food cooked in Tin coated vessels has a different taste.

INGREDIENTS

Tuver Dhaal ....1/2 cup
Ginger......... 1/2 "piece(Grated)
Green Chillies...2 nos (thin Sliced)
Tamarind .......small marble sized
Tomato.......... 1 no
Peanuts..... ... 1 tbsp (Soaked in water)
Kothmari......... 1/4 cup
Jaggary... .......1.5 tsp
Salt to taste
Jeera powder 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder 1/2 tsp(Optional)
Asafoetida powder 1/4 tsp
Water

Tempering spices

Oil 1 ladle
Curry leaves.... 1 sprig
Mustard 1/4 tspoon
Jeera 1/2 tspoon
Fenugreek seeds 1/4 spoon
Cloves..2 to 3 nos.
Asafoetida 1/2 tspoon
Red chillies 1 or 2 nos.

Method Of Preparation

Cook Tuver Dhall in directly in water in a Kalai plated Tapela. This cooking is done
on medium/low flame which takes a long time. Generally Dhall is added after ANDHAN
(water for cooking) starts boiling.The master cook always adds a little Ghee in Andhan .
This helps to cook better and faster and prevents the boiling dhall from frothing out.
When the Dhall is cooking, prepare all the green masalas like green chillies, Ginger, Kothmir
etc,

When the Dhall is cooked thoroughly, churn and keep aside. Cut ginger and Green chillies in
small pieces first and then using a stone/pound-mortar, make rough paste and set aside
Cut tomato in small pieces and set aside. Soak peanuts in a little water. Better still boil
peanuts for ten to fifteen minutes , remove brown skin after they become cold.
Soak Tamarind in 45 ml of water for ten to fifteen minutes to make it softer and facilitate
easy release from fibres. Remove fibers and seeds and retain thick concentrate.

Take churned dhall in a vessel ( Klai patela/tapela) add about 500 ml of water Add salt,
Chilli-Ginger paste and soaked peanuts and Tamarind juice, Turmeric and chilli powders
Set to boil on a medium flame for about fifteen minutes. Now add Jeera powder
and jaggery and boil for five minutes. Taste for salt and other spices
Now take the tempering ladle and add oil and tempering spices. When mustard starts popping,
add Asafoetida, cloves and curry leaves and temper the dhall. Immediately cover the vessel and
set aside. Serve after one hour after re-boiling after Garnishing with plucked Kothmir
leaves .

Enjoy!!!

For all other recipes you may visit,

fortune
16th April 2005, 06:53 PM
hi Mr.Hemant,
In your recipe vendhiyum podi you have mentioned 1/4 cup Channa+Ulundhu dhalls
is it 1/4 cup of each or is it together?
Thanks.

Hemant Trived1
18th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Hello Fortune,
You need to take in 75:25 ratio of
Ulunthu (Urad) and Channa dhall respectively.
Thanks for drawing my attention.

ash_970
18th April 2005, 03:42 PM
Dear Hemant bhai,

Many many thanks for such a clear and crisp description of the 'NAAT NI DAAL' recipe.

I have few questions ....have you omitted the addition of 'Suran' in the recipe .....because I remember getting pieces of 'Suran' in the Daal served in Charotar area...or the one I am refering is different from the one you have posted ....rest all indredients look absolutely perfect.

Is there any nearest alternative to 'Kalai' coated vessel.

I always wonder is it the temperature of the food achieved in different types of vessels imparts difference in the taste ...has any one tried to measure temperatures while cooking same dish in different vessels.....As a foodie I as well try to explore the chemical angel of cooking.
Thanks again ...I will send the feed back ASAP

Hemant Trived1
18th April 2005, 04:06 PM
Hello Ash,
Primary purpose of adding Suran to Naat Ni Dhaal is to give it a thicker consistency.

Suran is very bland in taste and does not alter the basic flavour or taste.
It is cheaper than Tuver. So clever Maharajs found out this method of thickening the dhall. :)

You would be surprised to know that Maharajs are known to powder Ganthia and add to Dhaal when the thickness is demanded. :lol:

I aim to post Naat Nu Bataka Nu Rasawalu Shaak and Naat Na Khata Mitha Wal next.

ash_970
18th April 2005, 05:57 PM
Dear Hemant bhai,

Thanks for the clarification....any ideas for the vessel related question

'Mara haara Maharaaj loko nu kehvu pade.'.. :lol:

The other recipes are eagerly awaited

Thanks...

Hemant Trived1
18th April 2005, 10:17 PM
Is there any nearest alternative to 'Kalai' coated vessel.

I always wonder is it the temperature of the food achieved in different types of vessels imparts difference in the taste ...has any one tried to measure temperatures while cooking same dish in different vessels.....As a foodie I as well try to explore the chemical angel of cooking.
Thanks again ...I will send the feed back ASAP

You are right about temperature.
Generally food cooked at low temperature but for longer time retains flavour and taste.
I do not think that there is alternative to Kalai vessels.
I am not sure if anybody has done such temperature research as you mentioned.
But food cooken in earthen pots tastes best. This is followed by Kalai vessels.
Sometime back there was an interesting discussion in ForumHub about IIYAM-CHOMBU. Meaning we discussed about KALAI VESSEL specially used by Iyengars /Iyers for preparing Rasam. This vessel is made only of KALAI and needs a special technique to prepare Rasam. This Iiya-chombu is given in marriage and is preserved with reverence by generations of daughters.

I have such vessel which costs a bit. But let me assure you that rasam prepared in Iiya-chombu is best .

tomato
19th April 2005, 09:00 AM
Hemant, Ash,
What is this kalai vessel or Iiya-chombu ? :?: Could u pls describe it.
Whenever I come across something new I like to know a bit more abt it- Just like Kipling's Rikki-Tikki_tavi. :)

Hemant Trived1
19th April 2005, 07:49 PM
Hello Tomato,

Iiya Chombu is a rather straightish vessel with size ranging from 1 lit to 2 lit.
It is grayish white in colour of silver with slightly hazy sheen.

It is made of pure Tin.It is always filled slightly lesser than brim(1") and the rasam is boiled to get reduced to 3/4 of the original volume.
Any mistake in heating the vessel below 1/2 mark or heating it empty will result in its melting down. It should never be heated on a high flame.

You get it only in one place in Madras near Triplicane Parthasarathy kovil near maiin entrance shop.
1.5 litre vessel may cost you around 450 to 500 rupees.

ash_970
19th April 2005, 08:29 PM
Dear Hemant bhai,

This is a long awaited query from my side. Knowing your level of insight probably you would be able to explain me.

This is regarding darkening /browning of instant KHAMAN -DHOKLA.

When ever I try making instant KHAMAN -DHOKLA ( with lemon juice and soda-bicarb) with adding small amount of sugar the end product is soft and tasty but the appearance is very dark dirty yellow instead of bright yellow the type you get in the market.

How can one achieve the same light bright yellow colour of Khaman -dhokla.

( I have tried both with turmeric powder and with out but still no success.)

Can you help me out in this case
Thanks

Hemant Trived1
19th April 2005, 10:35 PM
Hello ash_970,

Bright yellow colour of Market Khaman Dhokla is always due to usage of yellow colour called METANIL YELLOW.

It is a carcinogenic coal tar dye which is banned in foods as additive.
But still Jalebi/Jahangiri/Bundi Ladoo/Biriyani and Dhoklas are some of the food items where it is used freely.

Use Citric acid crystals inplace of Lime juice. Also first make white paste of oiland cooking soda. This will encapsulate soda and will let citric acid work gradually.

You will be getting a better shade of yellow.

(Try frightening the Dhoklas...may be they will turn yellow.) :twisted: :lol:

tomato
20th April 2005, 10:21 AM
Thank U Hamant for all that info on 'Iiya chombu'

ash_970
20th April 2005, 01:44 PM
Thank you Hemant bhai for the explanation.

I will sure try making evil faces while cooking dhokla or wear a scary mask...

That was good one..... let me check does scarring the dhokla will work... :lol:

Hemant Trived1
20th April 2005, 03:27 PM
Hello ash_970,

You can also make IDADA from Urad dhall and Rice. Just like Dhoklas.(Not khaman).
IMHO, Idadas taste fantastic after you VAGHAR it and add sugar and spices like Chilli powder and Curry leaves.
This is because, IDADAS made from Urad dhall tend to sour faster.
One more thing to remember.
Do not add Buttermilk/curd to ferment. It will ferment on its own.
The trick lies in using solely as idadas next day evening. Or else you will have only Idlies taste.

ash_970
20th April 2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks Hemantbhai for the suggestion ..but my problem is where I stay it's not possible to get nice fermentation as temperatures are always low..may be I will try with yeast and keep near heater and check it out... :D

Hemant Trived1
22nd April 2005, 09:35 AM
Hello Friends,

I was silent for the last four or five days because I was busy learning some Karnataka Varieties from Master chef Balakrishna Bhat. He works for a reknowned caterer in Malleshwaram and they have opened their cooking facility in the third house from my house.

I would first post my most favourite of rasam ..."IYENGAR'S RASAM" powder . He has so far taught me four recipes of powders. He has promised to teach more whenever he is free.

I will come back with Iyengar's Rasam Powder tomorrow.

Hemant

ash_970
22nd April 2005, 03:24 PM
Dear Hemantbhai,
Really appreciate your zeal for cooking , even when you yourself an accomplished artist in the culinary art you still take pain in learning something new...gr8888888

Hemant Trived1
22nd April 2005, 03:45 PM
Hello ash 970,

A person is a student till he does not stop learning. There are no shortcuts to success.
I would have posted all powders and rice items learnt from Sri Bhat today itself but I have a problem.

He has given measurements in terms of powders for bulk consumption. :?

I need to reduce each recipe in terms of say 500 gms of powder.

Here lies the problem. My maths is weak :cry: :lol:

Tonight I will sit with a calulator and with the help of my daughter, I will arrive at exact quantities of each ingredient.

Tough job indeed :evil:

Hemant Trived1
22nd April 2005, 08:57 PM
Hello ash_970,

Sorry, I made a mistake in my Latest Guru's name.
His name is Vishwanath Kamath and not Balakrishna Bhat.

I don't know how that name stuck in my mind.

Mr. Kamath is so thrilled that his name will come in print in Forum Hub and his recipes will be published there.
India is full of so many brilliant cooks who have no knowledge of any other language than their mother tongue.
What they make is awesome food.
Whereas so called 5star hotel chefs who dish out whatever they want to call it as , earn name and fame.

I have seen on vernacular Tamil TV channel, an illiterate old lady (Achi) preparing some of the nicest food I could think of . Best part is mostly she uses earthenware and wooden/copra shell spoons .

It is so good of the channel to discover such talent.
If anyone knows such people, we can bring them in open with little help.

chefvasu
22nd April 2005, 11:53 PM
Hemantbhai,

Can you post the receipe for Bajari Na Rotla?
Yesterday, I made the Rotla using Bajari flour, salt and water.
But when I was making Rotla, It didn't turn out good.
It was breaking from sides and very thick.

So, please post the receipe for Rotla.

Hemant Trived1
23rd April 2005, 10:53 AM
Hello Chefvasu,
Bajri Na Rotla is always a bit tricky thing to prepare.
If your flour is not fine and slightly karkaro (coarse), then you will have problem .

If you cant get fine flour in Chicago, add a little all purpose flour as binder. If you are not sure, add plain wheat flour. About a large spoon in 250 gms of flour will do.

Then take a ball of the dough in palm, first round it after wetting your palm.
Place it on a flat surface of a large inverted plate and slowly flatten it with palm all round.

Best way to prpare rotala is by TIPWA method . In this , after placing the slightly flattened luva in hand, you go on clapping the palms with dough in between. Slowly you will find that the rotals is coming exactly round. You will have to wet your palms from time to time in order not to let dough stick to your palms.

Once the rotla is completely round and unbroken, invert it on Tavadi(Tawa) and let it get roasted on medium/slow even flame.
Take care to rotate it to give even baking.
Preparing Rotla on earthen Tawadi is always best.

Let me know when you prepare it again.
Hemant Trivedi

chefvasu
23rd April 2005, 09:16 PM
Hemantbahi,

Thanks for the reply.
After reading your reply, now I know what I did wrong. And now I remember that my mom was use to use water to make rotla. :o

First time I made Rotla for my hubby (after 13 years to gether :lol: ),
whatever the Rotla turn out, he enjoyed :o

I'll sure post my reply, whenever I'll make Rotla again...........After 13 years :wink:
Hemantbhai, I like to get receipe for FAFDA(the long one). Can you help me for this one? :?:

ash_970
25th April 2005, 09:03 PM
Dear Hemant bhai,

It is very thought ful of you to suggest publishing recipes from the unsung heroes of culinary art.
Through your resources and contacts with such experienced people it would be a worthwhile exercise by giving due recognition to the stalwarts of traditional Indian cooking.

Probably you can start a new thread or a section on your website where you can introduce this kind of recipes from the expert cooks

This will be a great servive to those who remain unseen and un- appreciated as usual it happens in our INDIAN society

Regards

Hemant Trived1
25th April 2005, 10:20 PM
Hello ash_970,

You have echoed exactly what has been going on in my mind.
I think FORUM HUB would become the first portal to ever conduct such a projection of unsung heroes.
Actually I had met Sri S. N Vishwanath Kamath of Nagarbhavi( This is how he wants to be introduced to people on the net)today morning.
I gave him a rough plan that I will open a seperate thread for him. All he had to do was to give me recipes which I will convert into family sized quantities (His recipes are all bulk ones) and his work will reach all around the world among people who love genuine food made as per traditional recipes.
Believe me, he was so much excited, like a child that I was also surprised.
He has promised to teach me everything he knows in coming days.
This will cover all South Indian Brahmin recipes. May be he won't be able to help with some Kerala Brahmin recipes. But what he knows is immense.
Let's hope that people who are genuine and not cut and paste artists will come forward and bring out unknown gems from among their friends and their family elders.
This will not only bring a breath of fresh air into forum hub but also increase the members as more and more people will be involved.

How about calling the new thread as,

UNSUNG CULINERY HEROE'S CORNER ??

Thanks for your support.

Hemant Trivedi

shanta
26th April 2005, 11:58 AM
Hemant,

This is an excellent idea! Mr. Kamath must be thrilled!

Can he also give us a brief history along with some of his recipes, re. when(as in which festival or auspicious days) it is used, like weddings, temple feasts, etc.?

And re. a new thread, I'd like to suggest adding the chef/cook's name to the thread so that only his/her recipes will be in that particular thread, easy for people to refer to... my 2 cents.

Another request: can you also post some pictures of the cooking in process and/or end product? :)

Hemant Trived1
26th April 2005, 02:26 PM
Hello Shantha,
Thanks for seconding the idea.
I think it is best we open a seperate thread but it should figure under name "UNSUNG HEROES"

Speaking about putting the pictures of the food items or process may be rather difficult but your idea of giving a brief history of each dish is good. In fact if you see my recipes, most of them carry an introduction and some history etc.
My suggestion would be that even bulk recipes should be posted since Mr. Kamath is a man of bulk preparation and no website has ever carried recipes for bulk preparation.
How about that?

Hemant

Pammi Randhawa
26th April 2005, 03:46 PM
Hi Mr. Hemant,
I sincerely thank u for sending me the link to ur website.
Only thing I can say is AMAZING.
Nothing is out of place, there is smallest detail available and even a child can prepare any dish with ur instructions.

I should've mailed you my feed back y'day but I wus stuck in work.

I prepared Kabuli Channa Rajasthan style. The result was reeeely yummy. I'm not a bad cook either but never thought Channa without onion and garlic can be so tasty.
Will giveya more feed back as and when I prepare anything from ur site.

Hemant Trived1
26th April 2005, 06:07 PM
Hello Pammi,

Thanks for your kind words.
I am glad that you liked something from my recipes.

Keep enjoying more .!!

khushi
26th April 2005, 07:32 PM
Hemantji,
I'm so excited about this new thread. It's a very good idea. I can't wait for you to start, I also liked your bulk recipes idea. When are you starting this? Are you in INDIA now? If so, where are you?

Please keep up the good work.

-Regards,
Khushi.

Hemant Trived1
26th April 2005, 07:45 PM
Hello Khushi,
I am in Bangalore right now.
Preparing food for many people has always been my dream.
The only time I ever tried that was when I prepared Daal for 200 people when my grandfather's first year's ceremony was conducted in my village two decades back.
I am also happy that people have liked my idea.

Since Sri Kamath is busy this being marriage season, I will have to extract his co operation with a lot of patience.

shanta
26th April 2005, 09:33 PM
Hello Shantha,
Thanks for seconding the idea.
I think it is best we open a seperate thread but it should figure under name "UNSUNG HEROES"

Speaking about putting the pictures of the food items or process may be rather difficult but your idea of giving a brief history of each dish is good. In fact if you see my recipes, most of them carry an introduction and some history etc.
My suggestion would be that even bulk recipes should be posted since Mr. Kamath is a man of bulk preparation and no website has ever carried recipes for bulk preparation.
How about that?

Hemant

Hi Hemant,

Yes, we definitely need the Unsung hero in the topic name, something like "UNSUNG HERO(or HEROINE) - <name>" will make it easy for us to identify, also if he doesn't mind, adding his brief introduction and his contact info in the very first post might bring him some business - I think that's the least we can do for his kindness of sharing all his recipes free...

If the bulk recipe mentions how many people it serves and if it can be just reduced by as many servings as we want, it'll be nice to give bulk recipe. This will save you all teh work of converting.

One thing I really miss here is all those wedding foods in B'lore :( somehow I can't reproduce the same taste at home, maybe with Mr. Kamath's recipes I can get that taste...

I'd love to have all his Konkani and Udupi recipes.

Re. pictures, yes it is tedious to get it uploaded - maybe the Hubbers can post their finished dish pictures whenever they try a new dish?

shanta

Seethab
27th April 2005, 03:45 AM
Hemantji:

I am looking forward to the new recipes. Instead of unsung heroes you can call it Shri Kamath's culinary corner or Kitchen.

thanks!!

Hemant Trived1
27th April 2005, 10:19 AM
Dear friends,

Due to spiritual reasons, I have renamed my website as

"NAIVEDHYAM"

And have also removed my name from that website.
This was decided last year itself.Due to the same reasons, I removed my name from all the astrology yahoo groups last year.
And I downed my astrology website for the same reasons too.

Same thing I want to do in the FORUMHUB.
I want my thread to be renamed as,

"NAIVEDHYAM"

I would request Moderator Sri NOV to do the needful.
I would also be withdrawing my membership name as Hemant Trivedi. It will be replaced with an appropriate pen name.

Rgds

Pammi Randhawa
27th April 2005, 11:22 AM
Hi Mr.Hemant,

What's going on ?

Nichiro
27th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Hello Friends,

Henceforth this being will post as Nichiro.

ash_970
27th April 2005, 12:34 PM
Dear Hemant bhai,

As we know there is some background and a sound thought process involved in your work.

By any chance can we know what is the meaning of Nichiro.
Unless it is too personal

Thanks

Nichiro
27th April 2005, 12:37 PM
Hello Pammi,

I read your private message . I have replied to that.

I would suggest you, if I may, to post useful recipes from Punjab which would be more authantic than any of us posting here, and prove your worth as an useful contributor rather than antagonising people.

At the same time, people who post recipes taken from net, must acknowledge the source.
I hope people will follow this suggestion of mine.

Nichiro
27th April 2005, 01:35 PM
Hello ash_970,

Nichiro Bodhisattva was one of the top most of disciples of Great Master Nichiren. :|

ash_970
27th April 2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks Nichiro

'Nam-myoho-renge-kyo '

Regards,

Nichiro
27th April 2005, 02:46 PM
Hello ash_970,

Do itashi mashite.

ash_970
27th April 2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks Nichiro

'Onaka ga suita. Shokuji ni shimashoo.'

Waiting for an exiting recipe , any chance for 'Undhiyu'

Sir please do not forget my request for Naat nu bataka nu shaak

Regards and Sayonara

Pammi Randhawa
28th April 2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Mr.nichiro,

I've just opened a new thread as per ur advice.
I hope to bring good pujabi food recipes to people.
Please wish me goodluck.

pammi

Nichiro
28th April 2005, 07:14 PM
Hello ash_970,
I have got the recipes ready for Naat Nu Bataka nu shaak.
I will put in the floppy tomorrow after typing and post it without fail.
Sorry, I am a bit tardy .

You may refer to following link from my site for Undhiyun.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/curry/undhiyun.html

Shortly it will be renamed.

Nichiro

khushi
28th April 2005, 07:39 PM
Dear Ash and Hemantji,
I'm just curious to know what language are you both communicating in. Please let me know.

-Regards,
Khushi.

Nichiro
28th April 2005, 07:49 PM
Hello Khushi,

Just yesterday, we were using Japanese. Before that it was

Gujarati.

ash_970
28th April 2005, 09:18 PM
Hello Nichiro

Thanks for the link,

I gone through the recipe for Undhiyu.

From the ingredients and the method, I found it different from the typical 'Amdavady' or 'Surti' Undhiyu.

Because the one I had tasted in 'Amdavad' (Mehta nu Undhiyu), was with out 'rai no vaghar'.
It was bit on the sweeter side , very spicy and oily.

Is the one I am refereing is different from your recipe.

Let me know..Rgards

chefvasu
29th April 2005, 12:50 AM
Hi Ash_970

Are you talking about Mehta @ Income Tax- Amdavad?
Did you ever,tried Mehta's Fafda and Jalebi?

Do you know, how to make long fafda?
If have receipe for it, please post it here or you can email me.
By the way, are you from Amdavad?
Thanks.

ash_970
29th April 2005, 03:21 PM
Hello chef...I have sent you an e-mail on your ID.

Nichiro
29th April 2005, 05:47 PM
Hello chefvasu,

I have not forgotten your request for Fafda.
I would post it without fail tomorrow.
That goes for ash_970's request for Naat nu Bataka Nu shaak also. Sorry guys .

And hello ash, my Undhiyun is kathiawadi type. Gujarat shaaks are on sweeter side.
Try it out. You would not regret it.

vm
29th April 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Nichiro,

Can u post me the recipe for cassata ice cream

Nichiro
29th April 2005, 08:56 PM
Hello vm,

I cannot claim to be any maker of icecreams.
If you want, I can try and get you some good recipe which may take awhile.

Sorry.... :cry:

tomato
30th April 2005, 08:22 AM
Nichiro,
Would you pls post the recipe of Trevati dhall u mentioned in Pammi's thread. No hurry though, I can understand if u r busy.
So far I have tried gun powder, tea masala, milk masala, methi-na-thepla. All these were a 'super hit'.
I have also tried pudina paratha - it did not turn out soft, may be the chapathi dough that I prepared was a bit hard. I have also tried malai kofta. The gravy was delicious. But something went wrong with the koftas. The koftas disintergrated upon frying. Maybe I did not add enough besan. One of my friend suggested to adding corn flour will help retain the shape of koftas while fying. I do not like to add too much besan as sometimes it will leave a raw after taste. Anyway I made tikkis wit the kofta dough and slipped them in the gravy. I omited the boiled and mashed potao in the gravy. U have not mentioned when to add it.

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 01:20 PM
Hello Chefvasu,

Posting the recipe of Ganthia . Hope you would be able to make it to your taste.

Kathiawadi Lamba Ganthia (Fafda)

INGREDIENTS

2 cups besan
1 Heaped table spoon Urad dhaal flour
1/4 tsp ajwain (Remove grit and stones)
1 spoon Black pepper roughly broken
1/4 tsp haldi or 2 pinches of Yellow food colour
1/2 tsp Cooking soda
1 tbsp oil
salt tsp or to taste (Start with 3/4 spoon)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing) to sprinkle.
oil to deep-fry

METHOD

Quality of Besan is very important. Besan should be very fine in particle size.
Mix the besan,Urad dhaal flour, soda, ajwain, Turmeric powder/food colour,
1 tbsp oil and salt together. Add little by little water and knead into a soft dough.
Soft here means when you press it, it should ply well but it should be not soft
Like Fulka dough. Harder than Paratha dough.

Conventional Method

Take a portion of the dough and place it on a greased surface.
With base of your palm, drag the dough in a straight line, holding the dough
at the starting point with the other hand. This will form a strip.
Using a thin bladed knife, lift the end of Ganthia and slowly unstuck the long strip
and put it in hot oil.

Fry these strips over medium heat till you see blisters on Ganthia.

Easier Method

If you are not able to use the conventional method, Make a 1.5 cm Dia long dough
like a thick string. Place it in between two greased Polythene sheets.
Using a rolling pin, roll the pin lengthwise on cylindrical dough. You will get
2 to 3 mm thickness flat strip. with about 8" length.
Fry in oil.
Once you have about ten long fafdas, sprinkle hing on them and serve with tea or ganthia no masalo made
from Raw papaya and besan fried in oil . It can have mango pieces or also oil fried Tawa Mirchi with salt.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Nichiro
30th April 2005, 01:26 PM
Hello Tomato,
Thanks for the feedback on various recipes.
I would post Trevati dhall recipe sooner than you think.

If you have problem with Kofta Breaking, I would suggest you to add some julienned Bottle gourd (Dudhi) in dough. Do not increase Besan quantity or use corn flour or else you will have hard koftas.]

Phudina Paratha as you said, the dough should not be too hard.

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 04:45 PM
Hello Chefvasu,

If you want me to post sambhara for fafda, I will do it.
If you are interested in Bhavnagari Ganthia, then I will write a process for the same in Fafda recipe itself and repost it.

R
2nd May 2005, 05:56 PM
Hello Nichiro,

The measurement & weight which was furnished in yr website was very helpful. Can you pls give me that URL ?

Thanks a lot for understanding..

chefvasu
2nd May 2005, 06:55 PM
Hello Nichiro,

Thanks for Fafda receipe.
Yes, you can post sambhara and Bhavnagri Ganthia's receipe.
For Rotala and fafda, I'll post my feed back next month. This weekend, we moved to our own house, and my house is fill with boxes. It'll take a time to set up the house with job and kids.
My family is fan of Gujarati, Punjabi and south Indian food. I use many time your receipe for south Indian food and we always enjoyed the taste.
Thanks again.

Nichiro
2nd May 2005, 07:30 PM
Hello R,
Sorry, the website is down and its home page has weights and measures.
But I am posting the info here.

KITCHEN-MEASUREMENTS
To be a good cook, it is of utmost importance to have a good judgement of measurement of different ingredients.Every cook has his or her favourite cup or katora as a standerd measure in his or her kitchen.So you must fix up a favourite cup,spoon, ladle and a Katori as your standerds.In olden days, the measurement for spices was given as "KAI ALAVU" But now it is generally not give.Except some spices are still specified as "PINCH" .
I am giving as under approximate measures as under .Hope they will be helpful to you.
1 spoon./Tea spoon.....5 gms
1 Table spoon ............15 gms
1 Ladle.....................40 to 50 ml
1 cup.......................100 to 125 gms
1 large cup...............250 gms
1 Tumbler.................200 to 250 ml.
1 Katori....................75 gms
1 Katora...................100 gms
IF POSSIBLE, BUY STANDERD PLASTIC SPOON SET OF MEASURES NOW AVAILABLE IN DEPARTMENT STORES.IT IS STRINGED IN A SET SO ALL MEASURES ARE AVAILABLE AT ONE GO.
When any recipe gives measure in grammes, use your judgement as to a spoon will have 5 gms of sugar but same spoon will have 1.5 to 2 gms of Dhania,as Dhania is lighter.1 spoon of chilli powder means 1bout 2.5 gms of chilli powder and so on.When One spoon of anything is prescribed, take moderately filled spoon.NOT HEAPFUL unless otherwise stated.
Taste your chilli powder and Asfoetida for their strongness, use your judgement in usage.If I say one spoon of Asfoetida, I mean mild compound variety available like LG etc,and if you are using a strong variety like mine, even the dogs will not eat the food if you add 1 spoon.That amount of asfoetida will suffice sambar for 30 people..So be careful when you add such sensetive ingredients.

DOWNLOAD ALL MY RECIPES FROM:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/contribs/hemant/HT_CookBook.rtf

R
2nd May 2005, 09:07 PM
That is too bad to note that the particular page is not available becoz, it was too handy for me to do any kind of sweets which comes in grams or whatever measurements. I could be able to find out in cups for all recipes.

Anyways, thanks for giving me the basic measurements.

kavithasenthil
3rd May 2005, 02:46 AM
Hello Nichiro,

Tried kadai paneer last weekend. It was very good. My friends loved it. Thks for the recipe.

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 12:11 PM
Hello Kavitha Ma,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the Kadai paneer gets good response. You may try a slightly different method of Gravy preparation which I will post soon.

Badri
3rd May 2005, 12:15 PM
Nichiro: Thanks for sending the link to your cookery corner!

Nichiro
3rd May 2005, 04:41 PM
You are most welcome Badri. You are the only friend I have down-Under. :lol:

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 01:43 PM
Hello ash_970,

I feel guilty about not having posted Naat Nu Bataka Nu Shaak.
I promise, I will do it tonight or latest tomorrow.

I am also behind schedule on Dibeies recipe series.
Would post next recipe in that too .

ash_970
4th May 2005, 05:09 PM
Dear Sir,

Take your own time, it's worth the wait.

I am aware that you have started a major thread ' unsung heroes'.

great job.. thanks for consideration

Pammi Randhawa
6th May 2005, 10:48 AM
Hi Mr. Nichiro,
we love one pickle which you Gujaratis make.
In fact my whole family loves it.
I think it is made using raw mangos and Gud.
Methinks it is known as Gudkeri or something like that. Can you post a recipe please.
Thanx

Nichiro
6th May 2005, 11:21 AM
Hello again pammi,

Yes we call it GOR KERI and not gudkeri.
Now that the summer is on, I will post pickle recipes.

rajsand
6th May 2005, 06:41 PM
Hello Hemantji

Thankyou for your recipes. I received them by mail.

I tried your Bhagara Bhaingan. Was excellent. I did add some chutney ka dal (channa) (pottukadalai) along with the paste.. it didnt make any difference.
Can you suggest if this channa dal could be compensated for coconut ...as it is good for health. I use this in sambar where I add channa dal + dhania pd instead of coconut.

Thankyou and your recipes are wonderful. Shall try a lot of them and keep you posted.

Thanks again

sk
7th May 2005, 12:58 AM
Hi,

Does anyone hve green chilli pickle recipe?.Can you plz post it here?.

Thanx in advance
sk

Nichiro
7th May 2005, 11:19 AM
GREEN CHILLIES PICKLE (Pacchai Mozaka Uruga)

Green Chillies pickle can sweep anyone of his or her feet if it is used with any rice or with savories like Bhajjis, Bondas or Gujarati Ganthias. This pickle is having an universal appeal. A bite or two before meals will give you a hog's appetite .Goes great with corn soup and Kanjee. It is also the easiest pickle to make and can be made the whole year round. So what are we waiting for ?

Long Green Chillies (medium Hot variety) 250 gms.
Mustard Powder 1.5 cups
Turmeric Powder 1 spoon
Salt 1/4 cup
Lime juice 1/4 cup
Lemons 4 to 5
Oil (G/nut or Mustard oil) 1/4 cup.

Buy long medium hot chillies. Remove the stalk. Wash properly and wipe them dry. Now make a single slit in each chilli from top to bottom and set aside. Cut lemons in 8 pieces each and set aside. Make lime juice from some more lemons and set aside. Powder a cup of mustard seeds (small variety) .Take a wide mouth vessel and mix Mustard powder, salt Turmeric powder, little lime juice and little oil. Make a tight dough .Take each slit chilli and fill it up carefully. Take a clean glass jar and fill up one layer at bottom with cut lemon pieces. Now fill it up with stuffed chillies. In middle also place some more lime pieces. If you are left with mustard stuffing, sprinkle on chillies. Slowly pour little leftover lime juice also. Now arrange rest of the lemon pieces on top. Sprinkle little salt also and close the lid of the jar tightly. Within 48 hours. the juice and liquids would settle down at the base. Carefully rotate the jar in such a way that again all the chillies are covered with lime juice liquid. Repeat this for about a week. The pickle will get ready in about ten to fifteen days depending upon the ambient temperature.

ENJOY!!!!

Nichiro
7th May 2005, 06:43 PM
There is another Green chilli pickle Karnataka style. I will post the recipe soon.

sk
7th May 2005, 07:36 PM
Hi Nichiro,

Thanx a ton for the green chilli recipe.

sk

forrecipe
9th May 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi ,
I am making 'munthiri kothu' according to hemantji's recipe. In that recipe its written to mix 1 cup green dhal powder,1/2 cup seasame powdwer, and 1.5 cup jaggery. I added these three powders(jaggery too powder), but how to make balls. can anybody please help me fast as i am making these for tomorrow lunch party.
Thanks in advance
DD

Nichiro
9th May 2005, 01:47 PM
Hello forrecipe,
What I understand from your posting is that the jaggery you used is not wet but very dry sort of jaggery.
Since you have already mixed all ingredients including jaggery, you will need to add just a very little water (Two spoons) and heat the mixture a little bit.Stir constantly. Soon the jaggery will melt and it will for a hard lumb/dough.

Then let it cool and make balls and proceed as per recipe says.

forrecipe
9th May 2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks a lot hemantji. The response was so fast. I am so happy, now let me go and finish it.
thanks
DD

Anandi
9th May 2005, 07:19 PM
hi hemantji,
when are you posting the next diabetic recipe? I am v eagerly waiting for it.

Nichiro
9th May 2005, 07:43 PM
Hello Anandi,

I am compiling the recipes for Diabetics.
I will post nex one and more starting Thursday.
Sorry for the delay.

Nichiro

Sowmya
12th May 2005, 10:09 PM
Hello hemantji
Your website is very versatile covering recipes from all parts of india.
I tried out your "peerkanga chutney" and it turned out good.I substituted "Sorakka" with "peerkanga pulp" in "Sorakka paruppu curry" and the taste was excellent.
Thanx a lot for your valueable contribution

Regards
Sowmya

chefvasu
13th May 2005, 10:02 PM
Nichiro,

You know, with your new name, I can't write "BHAI" :?

After two weeks (May 29th), I have to make Dahivada for Annakut.
But I don't know the receipe. Can you please, help me?
Do I have to use chola ni dal or moong ni dal? I have both dal.

Please, Help me.
Thanks.

Pammi Randhawa
16th May 2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Mr.Nichiro,
Thanx for wonderful recipe of Channa with Fenugreek.
This is the first time I've taken channa without onion and garlic.
My mom who has come for summer vacation liked it so much
that I had to write down the recipe in Punjabi for her.
Thanx
pammi

Nichiro
16th May 2005, 01:58 PM
Hello Pammi,

What you are refering to must be Methiwale Kabuli Chole.
This is Rajasthan preparation.

Please thank Rajasthani people for creating this wonderful dish.

Coming to Channa, I have been preparing Channa of different types .
Is there any specific difference in Amritsari Chole from other channa Masala?

I still remember channa what I had in Jallandhar.

No hurry..you may take your time.

tomato
17th May 2005, 10:00 AM
Nichiro,
Can u pls post the recipe of 'fish pulusu' .
I had this dish at a restruant named 'Andra Curry' in Singapore. So I'm not sure how authentic it is. But it was a spicy dish of white fish with slices of raw mango in it.

Nichiro
17th May 2005, 02:26 PM
Hello Tomato,
There is nothing called Fish Pulusu.
But in Andhra, they serve, chapa samabar which in Tamil can be called Meen Kozambu.
I am posting a link of Pulusu as under.
Please substitute Fish in place of Vegetables.
It will become Meen-Pulusu or Chapa-Pulusu.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/rsd/pulusu.html

tomato
18th May 2005, 08:48 AM
Hello Tomato,
There is nothing called Fish Pulusu.

I doubted as much, coz my searches on 'fish pulusu' on the net took me no where.

But in Andhra, they serve, chapa samabar which in Tamil can be called Meen Kozambu.
I am posting a link of Pulusu as under.
Please substitute Fish in place of Vegetables.
It will become Meen-Pulusu or Chapa-Pulusu.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/rsd/pulusu.html

Thank you for the link; will try out ur recipe.
I have a few more queries reguarding fish. Can u give me the english names of fish available in india and also a brief description if possible. I find it extremely confusing to buy fish here in Singpore. (Never accompanied my mom to the Fish market when I was in India. :( ).Hence the confusion I guess.

Anandi
20th May 2005, 07:27 PM
Hi Nichiro,
How is the recipe for Diabetics coming along? I hope you will post some soon.

Nichiro
20th May 2005, 08:50 PM
Hello Anandi,

I am stuckup in a project till end June.
I will be free only by 12th July .
In between I steal some moments and post things.
But I intend doing the whole series on diabetes without fail in July/Sept duration.
Please bear with me.

Nichiro

foodlover123
20th May 2005, 10:05 PM
hello hemantji,
i was just going through the recipe of methi wale channa and came across the ingredient Kothumalli
can you please tell me what it is as i have never heard of this before.

Nichiro
20th May 2005, 11:07 PM
Kothumalli is Tamil word for,
Cilantro/Kothmir in Hindi and Gujarati.
English word is Coriander

foodlover123
20th May 2005, 11:50 PM
thanks nichiro

Nichiro
25th May 2005, 05:47 PM
Dearest friends,

Due to personal reasons, I have decided to retire from food section for good.
I will remain a dormant member only.
However, Mr. Kamath's thread will run as it will help a real artist of his craft.
I wish to thank you all for love and respect shown so far.
I will be available on private messages and email to my personal address.

Nichiro

tomato
25th May 2005, 07:34 PM
Nichiro,
How can u do this to us? :shock: It is just not fair.
Pls Nichiro if you do not wish to post recipes it is OK. But we at least need U around for answerring some of our queries reguarding cooking and name of ingredients ect, which u have always done so promptly. There is so much we can learn from u, and U really can't say no to that.
So please, I request you pleaseeeee re-consider your decision.

Nichiro
25th May 2005, 07:43 PM
Dear Tomato,

I have made an exception for food section.
I will reply personal messages only.

tomato
25th May 2005, 07:52 PM
Ok Nichiro, as you wish. But still :(

Kavitha Ravi
27th May 2005, 11:54 AM
Dear Nichiro San, It's very sad to hear your decision.
Tons of thanks for all that you have done.
Kavitha Ravi

Pammi Randhawa
27th May 2005, 04:15 PM
Hi N ichiro saab,

What happened while I was away?
Why for such a sudden decision?
Ki Hoya Hai paaji ?

Please revert to me atleast by private msg.

pammi

kavithasenthil
27th May 2005, 08:34 PM
Hello Nichiro,
PLS...Don't go away. If you can't able to very active, Do post now and then atleast. Hope you will consider it.

Sowmya
27th May 2005, 11:10 PM
Nichiro san
Please re consider your decision.We'll miss you.You've been a great guide to all of us. :(

Regards
Sowmya

R
31st May 2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Nichiro,

Though you may not be around hereafter, I should convey my thanks to you for sharing kaju katli.

Yesterday, we had a family get together and prepared kaju katli. Already I tried many times, still, this time is different. Becoz, one of my cousin does not like sweets. But, she also had 4 or 5 katlis and about kids, dont ask..I also shared yr recipe with them.

People those who dont like sweets can also give a try becoz this nut sweet is a milder one and it is not heavy or filling like other sweets. Compared to the other sweets, there is no ghee at all which is an additional advantage for weight watchers.

Once again, thank you so much..

Regards.

Anandi
2nd June 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi Nichiro,
We will miss you a lot :(