PDA

View Full Version : IR as a singer

S.Balaji
17th October 2005, 11:33 PM
Shall we discuss here the various songs which IR sang ...

My favourite will be Siruponmani asayum.... from kallukkul eeram....

I also feel that IR was a better singer compared to other MDs...

alwarpet_andavan
18th October 2005, 09:05 PM
My all time favorite song with IR as the singer would be "Polla Vinayen".

From the filmi domain, i would rate "Janani Janani" as his best.

Of course it doesn't end there and i'm just getting started :)

ananth222
18th October 2005, 09:27 PM
I think three things (among other thigns) determine how good a singer is:

1. Shruthi: Is the singing musically correct? i.e. is it in pitch and incorporates the right embellishments?
2. Power and tone of voice: Is the voice stable and strong? Or is it weak and breaks down in parts?
3. Expression and emotion: Does the voice modulate to portray the right emotion in the song? (bhaavam)

While IR is not the epitome of these properties, I think he is highly underrated as a singer. I also think that IR is in control of 1 and 2, and his main strength is in 3.

songs like "janani janani", "thenpandi seemayilae", "valli valli ena vanthaan", the TiS songs etc. portray the levels of these aspects in IRs voice very well.

app_engine
18th October 2005, 10:11 PM
Some of the best Raja songs were duets...especially those with SJ...siRupon maNi is ofcourse a good number. So are the following ones:

-nAn thEdum sevvandhippoovidhu
-poomAlaiyE thOL sEra vA
-kaN malargaLin azhaippidhazh
-ponnOvium kaNdEnammA engengum
-vaLLi vaLLi ena
-chinnappoNNu sEla

I think he did well with other female voices too...

-sAmakkOzhi (SPS)
-kAdhal Ovium (Jency)
-mEghangarukkayilE (UR)
-vizhiyil vizhundhu (BSS)
-thenna maraththula (PS)
-oru jeevan azhaiththadhu, thuLLi ezhundhadhu pAttu, indha mAn
(KSC)

app_engine
18th October 2005, 10:18 PM
Some more IR duets:

-dharisanam kidaikkAdhA (SJ)
-sangaththil pAdadha kavidhai (SJ)
-metti oli kAtROdu (SJ)
-malarE pEsu mounamozhi (KSC)
-adi AththAdi (SJ)
-veLakku vachcha nEraththula (SJ)
-hey konjippEsu (Sujatha)

In most of these songs, we won't think like `idhu SPB pAdinA eppadi irukkum'...However, while hearing the songs he gave to paridhAba singers like Krishnachandar, idhukku SPB kidaikkAtti at least RajavE pAdirukkalAmEnnu thONum...(vanakkiLiyE a classic example)

nilavupriyan
18th October 2005, 10:27 PM
1)thenpaandi cheemayile
2)janani janani
3)kadhalenbadhu podhu udamai

Sanguine Sridhar
18th October 2005, 10:36 PM
I am a big fan of IR Music..But not to his tone..I accept some of his songs are gud..but not perfect..I used to think that for some song...singers like spb or yesudas could have done the job

Sanjeevi
18th October 2005, 11:03 PM
Orambo Orambo Rukkumani
Thindaduthey rendu kiliyae
Empattu empattu
Poonviyam
Janani Janani
Metti oli (gr8)
Sangathil padatha kavaithai (gr8)

Sanguine Sridhar
18th October 2005, 11:04 PM
Orambo Orambo Rukkumani
Empattu empattu
Poonviyam
Janani Janani
Metti oli (gr8)

Sanjeevi innum office-laya?

Sanjeevi
18th October 2005, 11:12 PM
Orambo Orambo Rukkumani
Empattu empattu
Poonviyam
Janani Janani
Metti oli (gr8)

Sanjeevi innum office-laya?

hi Sridhar, no from home.

tvsankar
19th October 2005, 12:34 AM
Dear all,
Film : Bharani
song : Thaena odum oda karaiyae
A beautiful compisition.Indha song 2 versions il iruku.One by Sujatha and another by IR.IR voice nalla irukum indha songil.

Solam vedahikaiyilae solli puttu pona pullae - enna oru perfect village tone.!!! indha song il IR in bhavam nalla irukum.

Marathai vechavan thanni uthuvan - Unmaiyana kashtathil irukum yarukum indha songil IR in voice nichayam arudhalaga irukum.

En sonku piditha IR song

1.Kadhal enbadhu podhu udamai

2. Naan yeri karai mel irundhu

3. Kadhal kasakudhaiyaa

List is going on!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 12:58 PM
Dear all,
Film : Bharani
song : Thaena odum oda karaiyae
A beautiful compisition.Indha song 2 versions il iruku.One by Sujatha and another by IR.IR voice nalla irukum indha songil.

Solam vedahikaiyilae solli puttu pona pullae - enna oru perfect village tone.!!! indha song il IR in bhavam nalla irukum.

Marathai vechavan thanni uthuvan - Unmaiyana kashtathil irukum yarukum indha songil IR in voice nichayam arudhalaga irukum.

En sonku piditha IR song

1.Kadhal enbadhu podhu udamai

2. Naan yeri karai mel irundhu

3. Kadhal kasakudhaiyaa

List is going on!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ushajiiiiiii...

Now I want to come all the way to Bangalore to fight with you !
because I thought of mentioning about Solam vidhaikayilay.... and you have posted it already :oops:

Anyone had heard Idhayam oru koil.... IR also sang that song well but the one which got picturised was of SPB's.....
There is another interesting news on this song.... It was written by IR !

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 01:24 PM
Dear All...

Not to forget.... SORGAMAY ENDRAALUM ADHU NAMOORA POLA VARUMAAA....

Another IR song...

This is an apt song for guys like me and other NRIs..... I am sure App... will vouch for me.....

Life is not full of roses in overseas..... You miss everything.......

Lovely song....very meaningful....

tvsankar
19th October 2005, 03:32 PM
Dear Balaji,
Ippo ennoda turn.Angola vandhu unga kuda fight panna. :lol:
Indha songai naan solla vandhaen.Neenga solltieenga!!!!!!

Nethu nethu orutharai parthom
Beautiful composiition.

Sorgamae enralum ennoda favourite no.Nalla lyrics. :lol:
Patalae bhudhi sonnan
Patlae bhakthi sonnan

Enaku pidikum indha song.

Indha maan undhan sondha maan
Pakkam vandhu dhan sindhu padum

Beautiful beautiful composition!!!
with Love,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 03:50 PM
Dear Balaji,
Ippo ennoda turn.Angola vandhu unga kuda fight panna. :lol:
Indha songai naan solla vandhaen.Neenga solltieenga!!!!!!

Indha maan undhan sondha maan
Pakkam vandhu dhan sindhu padum

Beautiful beautiful composition!!!
with Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ushajiiiiii,

Endha maan undhan sondha maan....

I remember the late 80s ...may be 88 or 89....when this song was everywhere in Tamil nadu.. Patee thotee ellaam keta paadal....... along with Maanguyilay poonguyilay....
IR will take us to Village side...A fully entertaining movie...Karagaatakaran.....

Probably one of IR's best songs will be Indha maan.....

IR will be at his best when he sings the words....

ANNAMAY ENDHAN SORNAMAY...UNDHAN VANNAMAY VAANAVIL VANNAMAY.....

The song itself will start on a lovely note with lead guitar and flute combination... with the eye beauty Kanaka throwing the Melthundu on the Colorful Ramarajan !!

Did you observe one interesting aspect of IR songs ? There will be a different rhythm :

1. Nethu oruthara oruthara paarthom
2. Thenna marathula thendral adikuthu
3. Poomalay thol seravaa
4. Indha maan
5. Paatalay budhi sonnaar....

Now that you have written about Paatalay budhi sonnaar.... IR bashers will be pouncing for an opporunity as this song will look as if it was a song in praise of IR !!

saradhaa_sn
19th October 2005, 05:11 PM
Appaada, paravaayillai enakku oru song vittu vachirukeenga....

"Aaththaadi paavaadai kaaththaada
kaaththaadi pol nenju kooththaada
kulikkuthu rosa naaththu
thannni konjam ooththu..ooththu"

from the movie "Poo Vilangu"

But, yaarumey indha paadalai sollaathathaal enakku oru doubt vandhiruchu.

Idhai paadiyathu Ilaiyarajava allathu Gangai Amarana?
Please confirm.

app_engine
19th October 2005, 07:37 PM
Balaji,
While I definitely agree with the lines `sorgamE endRAlum, adhu nammooru pOla varumA', I have to disagree on one count...adhu pAdinadhu Raja illeengO...avarOda thambi Amar (GA):-)

Sanjeevi
19th October 2005, 07:42 PM
Please confirm.

Ilaiyaraja than

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 09:32 PM
Balaji,
While I definitely agree with the lines `sorgamE endRAlum, adhu nammooru pOla varumA', I have to disagree on one count...adhu pAdinadhu Raja illeengO...avarOda thambi Amar (GA):-)

APP.....

sorgamay endraalum was by IR only. No doubt on that... Just sing that song yourself and you will realise that there is IR !

Probably you are referring to SOLAI PUSHPANGALAY YEN SOGAM SOLUNGALAY...

Melodious song by GA ....composed by IR !

Ammam adhu enna you are always ending with GO.... eleenGO..

Is it Manivannan Style ??!

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 09:40 PM
Appaada, paravaayillai enakku oru song vittu vachirukeenga....

"Aaththaadi paavaadai kaaththaada
kaaththaadi pol nenju kooththaada
kulikkuthu rosa naaththu
thannni konjam ooththu..ooththu"

from the movie "Poo Vilangu"

But, yaarumey indha paadalai sollaathathaal enakku oru doubt vandhiruchu.

Please confirm.

Enna Saradha avargalay...

Ungalukku eppadi oru doubt varalaama.... Neengal oru authority allavaaa.....

Ofcourse it was sang by IR only......

Enna full thread padichitu post pangreengala :o

app_engine
20th October 2005, 02:05 AM
Balaji:-)

`ooru vittu ooru vandhu' song is by GA'nnu ennOda database (adhAvadhu "IR's 1000 stars" thread spreadsheet) solludhunga. enakkum radio'la GAnnu kEtta gnabagam...ini idhai clarify paNNa Ramki / Saravanan mAdhiri oruththaraiththAn pidikkaNum...

romba nAL Kovai area'vil (Palakkad is 45 KM from Kovai) vAzhndhadhAl kidaiththa oru balan, mariyAdhaiyAna thamizh:-))

kr
20th October 2005, 04:57 AM
ooru vittu ooru vandhu is definitely composed by IR

saradhaa_sn
20th October 2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, 'Solai pushpangaley' was sung by Gangai Aamran.

Some more sang by GA are:

'Vaadeeee.... en pondaatti neethaaney' from Vellai Roja.
'Machaanai vachukadi' from Naan Paadum Paadal.

swathy
20th October 2005, 03:20 PM
My favorites are

1.Kannama Kadhal ennum kavidhai solludi- Vanna Vanna Pookkal
2.Indhira sundariye - En arugil nee irundhal
3. Oru sandhana kaatukkulle- Ellame En Raasa than
4.Punnagaiyil minsaram- Barathan
5.Nethru vandha katru- Kanmani
6.Andha nilava than- mudhal mariyadahi
7.yaaro yaar yaaro- ullasam

Solo

1.aaraum adhu aalam illai - pudhu vasantham
2.aathadi paavadi-poo vilangu
3.april mayile- idhayam
4.sollal adicha sundari & andha vaanathai pole- chinna kounder
5.Enge sellum - sedhu
6. indha ammanukku - deiva vakku
7.naan yaaru
8.then pandi seemaiyile- nayagan
9.thulli yelundhadhu- geethanjali
10.veenaikku veenai - ellame en raasa than
11. aala porandha maharaasa- veera thalattu

there is a very big list. idhu chumma sample

saradhaa_sn
20th October 2005, 06:45 PM
Another famous number sung by IR:

"Kaatu vazhi pora ponney kavalaipadaathey
kattu puli vazhi marikkum kalangi nikaathey
mambattiyaan peru sonna puli odhungum paaru"

from 'maliyoor mambattiyaan'

In 'Sorkamey endraalum' song i like the lines:

"Aadu puli aattam pottu vilaiyaada
arasa mara medaiyillaiye
maadu kannu meyka, meyuratha paakka
mandha veli ingu illaiye
nammoora pola oorum illa"

written by Gangai Amaran...?. I think so.

app_engine
20th October 2005, 08:35 PM
kr,
The doubt is not as to who composed `sorgamE endRAlum'...it's IR -there's no question about that.

However, who sang it? Was it IR or GA?

My dBase says GA...and also it sounds like him to me...S Balaji is firm that it's IR who sang...now we need some authority to clear...

rajdes
20th October 2005, 08:45 PM
eden, adhu IR dhaan!

S.Balaji
20th October 2005, 09:08 PM
Another famous number sung by IR:

"Kaatu vazhi pora ponney kavalaipadaathey
kattu puli vazhi marikkum kalangi nikaathey
mambattiyaan peru sonna puli odhungum paaru"

from 'maliyoor mambattiyaan'

In 'Sorkamey endraalum' song i like the lines:

"Aadu puli aattam pottu vilaiyaada
arasa mara medaiyillaiye
maadu kannu meyka, meyuratha paakka
mandha veli ingu illaiye
nammoora pola oorum illa"

written by Gangai Amaran...?. I think so.

Saradhajiii,

Its written by Gangai Amaran only. Nice wordings.... Very apt for poor guys like me who live outside India.

App...must have got confused on who sang this song.... as normally in all Light music programmes, IR used to start and then will move away from the stage while Gangai will take control over the proceedings. This I have seen umpteen number of times ...

app_engine
20th October 2005, 09:21 PM
quoting Lakshmi Narayanan's famous Classical Ilayaraja series ...

"
The second Hamsanadham that Illayaraja gave was 'om namaha' in Maniratnam's Geetanjali. It was a good one too. The third number came in his brother Gangei Amaran's 'ooru vittu ooru vanthu'. The song was 'sorgamae enrallum'. Our village hero 'touser payyan' Ramarajan and Gowthami go to some foreign country and become nostalgic about Tamizhnadu and then sing that song. That song was one first-class example of how to popularize carnatic music. From the pallavi 'hei thanthana thanthana thantha' to the very end of the song, it is absolutely classical. In such a short piece, he has brought out the full essence of Hamsanadham. Ofcourse there are few slips, like the usage of Da2 when he sings 'namnaadu poalaguma', and the use of Ma1 when he sings 'paaka oru vazhi illayae' in charanam. He could have avoided these, and rendered a ultra pure Hamsanadham. But, what to say, cinema music directors seem to have all the right in the world to do anthing to any ragam!

He has daringly ventured to test his vocal skills in that song with S.Janaki. There are real fast sancharas covering one entire octave in such short span of time. Somehow he has done a good job! Perhaps, he thought that Ramarajan does not deserve any better voice than his! The lyrics of that song is also funny. I think he himself (or Gangei Amaran) has written that song. It goes on to narrate how village life in Tamizhnadu is much superior to that in other foreign countries.

Maadugalai meika, adhu maeyuradha paarka
mandhaiveli angu illayae hei!
In the short story collection of Fredrick Forsyth's 'No come backs' the hero happens to go to Tamizhnadu. He takes note with disgust, how people urinate in public places, defecate in streets, in Tamizhnadu. Illayaraja could have written that in his song.
Avasarama onnuku vandha sattunu
oru oarama onnuku adikka
nalla roadu illayae....
If the DMK succeeded in getting a seperate country 'Thamizhnadu', as they demanded the centre in early 1960s (beleive me, they had the arrogance and foolishness to do that, while Thamizhnadu didn't even have basic necessities like water of its own!), it would definitely make this song as the national anthem! Perhaps, LTTE Prabhakaran has already made a note of this song as the national anthem for his Thamizh Eazham!
"

Looks like IR has sung the song...and I'm wrong...

tvsankar
21st October 2005, 12:07 AM
Dear all,
Two more songs from IR
1. Vaadae vaatudhae - simple but great composition.

2. Anbu manam thandha sugam - Rusi kanda poonai.

Great song. IR romba nalla padi irupar.Oru amanushyamana composing!!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

app_engine
21st October 2005, 12:27 AM
vAda vAttudhu koodave `enna pAttuppAda, enna thALam pOda' vum irukkum illaiyA?:-)

vijayr
21st October 2005, 01:14 AM
Iam not necessarily a fan of IR's choice of songs when it comes to his singing. He makes a mess out of gems like Malare pesu mouna mozhi etc. But there are exceptions.
Amongst his old songs "Vaada vaatudhu" is a definite pick. A song cut out for IR. A perfect companion in the car for long night-time drives. This song was a slightly late discovery by me but immediately occupied its place amongst the top songs sung by IR. Feelings of loneliness, longing, night-time serenity all brought out by the tune and interludes and IR adding the right tone and rustic touch the song needs. Unakenna thaane innerama is also noteworthy.

Amongst his very recent, portions of "polla vinayen" from TIS stand out. I think if at all IR does any live performances in the future, instead of the tried and tested Janani Janani as the invocation, he should consider the acapella portions of Polla Vinayen starting with "aakkam aLavu". (Portions of other songs are also suitable as invocation songs and should be considered by light music troupes instead of their standard songs) and ending with the "maasatra sodhiye" stanza. The last 8 minutes or so of Polla Vinayen has a great flow to it. It took me quite a while to completely grasp the song but its now at a stage where I can play atleast major portions of the song in my mind without the help of a CD player. Strange, how first week after release I couldnt get past Pooveru Konum and didnt feel like listening to Polla vinayen. Right now though Polla Vinayen stands out clearly from the rest. One of the very rare instances where a Raja composition took time to sink in, probably because of the unfamiliar structure.

cry_sandiego
21st October 2005, 03:55 AM
Vijay,

I completely agree with you .. Polla Vinayen took me a long time to comprehend in terms of the flow as well..

You are right about the oft used Janani Janani ..but the % of people who have heard Janani is far more than Polla vinayen..

Cheers
MSK

S.Balaji
21st October 2005, 12:11 PM
Dear all,
Two more songs from IR
1. Vaadae vaatudhae - simple but great composition.

2. Anbu manam thandha sugam - Rusi kanda poonai.

Great song. IR romba nalla padi irupar.Oru amanushyamana composing!!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ushaji,

Nice recollection of 2 old songs. Vaada vaatudhu is for Sudhakar and it was a night effect song sang very well by IR... it was in the lat 70s I think.....

Anbu manam thandha sugam..... here IR will go in various pithces....high , low and medium...

especially when he touches the words... NINAITHAAL PODHUM....

S.Balaji
21st October 2005, 12:38 PM
vAda vAttudhu koodave `enna pAttuppAda, enna thALam pOda' vum irukkum illaiyA?:-)

App...

Those days IR was setting a new trend by launching new type of songs like :

1. Orampo orampo rukumani vandi varudhu ( Hai...... everybody missed out this super hit song !!! )
2. Enkanmani un kadhali - Beautiful overlapping song
3. Unna nambi nethiyilay - Another Night effect song where IR will come inbetween by giving ehey.... for Iravu oor kavalan...
4. Vethala vethala ( Saradhaji's favourite picture rosapoo ravikaikaree )
5. Mamen oru naal maligapoo koduthaan ( another song from Rosapoo )
6. Chitira chevaanam sirika kanden - Katrinilay varum geetham - Jayachandran with chorus of thaiyara thaiyaa......
7. Manjal nilaavukku endru oray sugam - with a rhythm of a train journey
8. Solam vidhaikayilay - Village folk song - absolutely new of its kind those days.... ( before this song, I could recollect only one number .... Thaayayam poomudichu thadam paarthu nadai nadandhu )
9. Devan thiruchabai malargalay - For avar enakkay sondham- Church organ based song, which IR experimented again in Raja chiinna raja for Poondhalir and later in Alaigal oivadhillai when Radha learns music.... Sasirekha.... potri paadiduvom...( terrific double base background )
10. Later in the 80s.. Annay annay sippai annay... for kozi koovudhu
11. Paruvamay pudhiya paadal paadu - Refreshing song of the 80s while one goes for an early morning jogging in the fantastic lawns of Cubbon park , Bangalore
12. Uravenum pudhiya vaanil - Probably the song with the longest interludes to my knowledge ( IR brought the entire range of his talent in this song )
13. Ofcourse yours and my ALL TIME FAVOURITE NUMBER - Madai thirandhu thaavum nadhiyayalai....
14. Katrinilay varum geetham - Kanden engum poomagal naatiyam ( another Saradhaji favourite :o ) which is an overlapping song of SJ
15. Aatukutti muttaittu - Malaysia for Kamal and Sridevi bursting out with big laughter at the end of the song...
16. Aathu metula - a combination of folk with western beats
17. Vaada vaatudhu - A song in night effect wherein IR will bring in through his BGM, the night effect .....

The list is endless but I could just recollect for now the above numbers....

IR often came out with variety and broke the trend of the MDs with a new approach....

Coming back to the song... Enna paatu paada.... Yes it was one of those popular songs where IR used it for a guy while driving the bullock cart..... The words Vekkadha aasai adhu vengaaya dosai....was quite popular for several years those days......

saradhaa_sn
21st October 2005, 01:04 PM
Dear Balaji

In your 'IR's new trend' list, add some more songs:

18. Kozhi...mutta kozhi.. (sakkalaththi)
19. Vaadi en kappa kizhangey.. (Alaigal Oivathillai)
20. Poda poda punnaaku... (En Rasavin manasile)
21. aahaa vandhirichi.... (kalyana Raman)

S.Balaji
21st October 2005, 01:19 PM
Dear Balaji

In your 'IR's new trend' list, add some more songs:

18. Kozhi...mutta kozhi.. (sakkalaththi)
19. Vaadi en kappa kizhangey.. (Alaigal Oivathillai)
20. Poda poda punnaaku... (En Rasavin manasile)
21. aahaa vandhirichi.... (kalyana Raman)

Saradhaji...

Konjam wait panna koodaadhaaa :oops: I was about to mention about Aaahaa vandhiruchu... and you have already posted it...... :oops:

What about ... oru manja kurivu....... and also thenna marathula thendral adikudhu..... Did we not realise those days these were totally different from the routine type we had earlier....

Vow.... Oru manja kuruvi...is another IR song... we all missed out ...

Also, poovarasampoo poothachu... IR giving a train effect....The start will be slow like the speed of a train , will gradually pick up...when Chitti / Selvi sings the words... thodhu poo rayilay rayilay...
and while ending, a bit slow again....

Great compostion by IR..

tvsankar
21st October 2005, 08:28 PM
Dear all,
Oru manja kuruvi songai naan solvadharkul solliteengalae? :lol:
Bharani film song Thena odum oda karaiyae keteengala? Beautiful composition.

Sama kozhi yei kuvudhama - idhuvum oru different composition.

Enna paatu pada enna thalam poda - enaku pidikum indha song.

TIS il IR songs ellam pidikum.Ketpavar manadhai poruthadhu.

Putril vaazh aravam anjaen - konjam niriaya pidikum.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
21st October 2005, 08:37 PM
Dear Balaji,
NIce write up about IR's other songs.
Dear Saradha,
Poda poda punnaku - ninaivu paduthiyardharku thanks. Beautiful tempo.

Dear Vijayr,
ungaloda +ve view about ir songs parthu surprise ayutaen. :lol: Ippavum oru thoght dhan.One more time unga mailai check pannanam :lol:

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

app_engine
21st October 2005, 09:58 PM
`ninnai charaN adaindhEn' & `nalladhOr veeNai seidhE' from Bharathi are decent numbers too. `vallamai thArAyO' in the veeNai song gives goose pimples...

vijayr
21st October 2005, 10:15 PM
tvsankar, are you saying that you sent me a PM? My inbox doesnt have any messages.

venus05
22nd October 2005, 12:32 AM
Recently I heard a song "ullangal Inbathil AAdattum" from Kavarimaan sung by Raaja. It had excellent Guitar prelude and that sets up the tone for the whole song. Real Jazzy number. It looks like it is one of the real gems that went unnoticed. I haven't heard any review or discussions about this song. I do not think this song was a hit in those days. I have this in "Illyaraaja Sings for you" collection. Any more information about this song?
Thanks.

S.Balaji
22nd October 2005, 01:17 AM
`ninnai charaN adaindhEn' & `nalladhOr veeNai seidhE' from Bharathi are decent numbers too. `vallamai thArAyO' in the veeNai song gives goose pimples...

App....

Nalladhor veenai seidhen.... the manner in which this song was picturised...showing the final moments of Barathiyaar.... tears will come out........
I think IR will sing in a base voice......full of emotions.... romba romba anubavichu paadiyirupaar....One can sense total commitment to the situation.....

The masterpiece in the movie is.... Nirpathuvay nadapadhuvay.....

Probably the best movie of IR in recent times ??

tvsankar
25th October 2005, 10:12 AM
Dear all,
One more best song Aalolam padi asaindhadum katrae from Avarampoo.

Starting il varum flute la sogam theriyum.Extraordinary composition.Film parthal, indha tune in value puriyum.
Beautiful lyrics.
mannulagil vandhorkellam
inbam thubam endrum undu
Thai izhandha thunbam pol
thunbam adhu ondrum illai

Boomi endra thayum undu
vanam endra thandhai undu
neengidadha sondham enru
neerum katrum engum undu
Orphan enra oru status oda kashtathai heavya express panni irupar.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

thumburu
25th October 2005, 03:27 PM
"Aalolam padi asaindhadum katrae" from Avarampoo is indeed a soulful song in sindhubhairavi raga. IR's voice carries a certain amount of nonchalance that is very appealing for few songs.
I like to highlight 2 IR sung unsung songs . "Rasigane en arugil vaa" is a peppy, boisterous number from an unreleased movie called "Manipur maamiyaar". It is quite rare that one gets to hear such KIND OF a song SUNG BY IR. The other song is "maalai chevvaanam un kolam thaano" from another unreleased called "Ilaiyarajavin rasigai". It is a duet by IR and a one song wonder singer Swarnalatha(Radio naadagam pugazh Parvathi Ramanathan's daughter]. The choral rich interludes, 3 of them in this song should find a place in the best interludes list by Raja.
I observe that his voice has mellowed over years . It is quite evident in some of his recent songs like "ninnai charan adaindhen" or "hey konji pesi"(kaadhal kavidhai),"naaL dhorum endhan kaNNil"(devadhai)

vijayr
25th October 2005, 07:46 PM
thumburu, thanks for reminding, "hey konji pesu", another song overshadowed by Diana Diana from the same album. I liked this and the "alai meedhu viLayaadum"(sung by Bhava)song better than the synthetic Diana Diana. Unfortunately konji pesu was used as a meaningless title song. Sujatha's voice provided the right contrast and the chorus humming was enjoyable. "iniya malargal malarum" was another well composed song sung with the required emotions and again used as the title number.

app_engine
25th October 2005, 08:43 PM
`oru sandhana kAttukkuLLE' (with SJ) and `veeNaikku veeNaikkunju' (solo) are couple of decent numbers for Raj Kiran...(forgot the movie name...Is it `ellAmE en rAsA dhAn' or something like that?)

TISK
25th October 2005, 11:31 PM
A not 'very many heard' song-- 'naadu kEttadhuNdo" in Kamaraj is one such song like tha 'ninnai charan adaindhEn'

cry_sandiego
26th October 2005, 07:58 AM
Vijayr/Thumburu,

I was hooked to Alaimeedhu song sung by Bava a few years back and heard it much more than any other song in Kathal Kavithai.. and watched that pathetic movie :-((..

Vijay, is there an IR version of Alaimeedhu.. I never knew that and the CD i have does not have it..

Also the song "Konji pesu " is also sweet - i like the song just for IR and Sujatha's voice.. IR is awesome where he goes .." Thena manakkura neeye neeye .." He seems to have sung that very casually .. adds the right amount of romance in his emotions.. I would pick this song as a best example for Sanga Ilakiyam's Koodal ;-)

I was so upset when the director( Agathiyar ) chose to use that as a title song.. What a music sense!!.. Well he need not have music sense..atleast some screenplay sense.. In what way that song helped with the title.. In general i do not like songs for titles. Very rarely do they fit the situation ( Even the " Sangeetha Thirunalo" from Kathalukku Mariyathai was so so )

Cheers
MSK

Sanjeevi
26th October 2005, 09:51 AM
I like the song "Oorangum nerathil" which came with two versions (Hariharan & Ilaiyaraja). But i forget the movie name.

tvsankar
26th October 2005, 12:57 PM
Dear Thumburu,
Malai chevvanam and konji pesu 2 songsaiyum naan solla ninaichaen.ADharkul neenga solliteenga!!
Another song.Un pakkathulae oru poova vecha andha poovum mayangi pogum from sEndhuram.
Simple but beautiful composition.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

vijayr
26th October 2005, 08:30 PM
MSK, no IR doesnt have a version for Alai meedhu, I just mentioned this song when I remembered Kaadhal kavidhai, thats all. 2 good songs- first one used as the title song and the second one, alai meedhu, was totally omitted by the hapless director.

app_engine
26th October 2005, 08:48 PM
BTW, the cassette inlay card said IR wrote the lyric for `alai meedhu'...

rajdes
27th October 2005, 10:31 AM
alai meedhu comes in the background in one scene - someone plays it on his tape on screen. Prahsanth babbles in the forefront. Needless to say,that was a lousy way of picturising the beautiful song.

mr_karthik
27th October 2005, 05:11 PM
alai meedhu comes in the background in one scene - someone plays it on his tape on screen. Prahsanth babbles in the forefront. Needless to say,that was a lousy way of picturising the beautiful song.
Correct.

mr_karthik
27th October 2005, 05:13 PM
BTW, the cassette inlay card said IR wrote the lyric for `alai meedhu'...
AmAm.... adhu ILaiyarAjA ezhuthiyathuthAn.

tvsankar
29th October 2005, 12:26 AM
Kannae nava maniyae unnai kanadha kannum from Pommu kutti ammavuku - Simple but touched the heart.Motherhood and mother feelingsai IR nalla express pannuvar.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

rajdes
2nd November 2005, 01:01 PM
I think the tune of Kanne Nava Maniye was the title music for Mullum Malarum. Can someone confirm/negate?

Saagar
7th November 2005, 12:13 AM
I was just watching Surya TV now when a Mal movie (of 80s) came up with Music by Kannoor Rajan - missed to see the title of the film. The title song "Aruvugal Olam thullum thaazhvarayil", was sung by Ilayaraaja. It was a surprise... I did not now IR had sung for another MD in Mal in 80s. A nice song with good pronunciation by IR. Any idea on the movie.?

music man
8th November 2005, 10:30 PM
Hai friends,Can anyone give me the link where I can hear/download the song "Naan Thedum Sevanthi povithu" from Dharmapathini

mr_karthik
9th November 2005, 11:15 AM
I think nobody has mentioned about the song

'ThuppAkki kaiyil eduththu
reNdu thOttAvum paiyil eduththu'

sang by IR, but which movie?.

crvenky
9th November 2005, 01:18 PM
mr_karthik,
Thuppakki kayyil song is from Kodai Mazhai.

app_engine
18th November 2005, 01:54 AM
I located this old CD which has both hey rAm & thirunelvEli...thirunelvEli has three songs in IR's voice (all mediocre)...

-thirunelvEli cheemaiyilE
-sAdhi enum kodumai
-ini nALum thirunAl dhAn adi rAkku rAkku (has some good percussion passages)

This film has an average song `OlakkudisaiyilE nee irundhAlum' (two versions, one by Biju Narayanan or Madhu Balakrishnan & another by Bhavadharini).

The surprise is there's another interesting song that features around 4 signature percussion "loops" of Raja...though it has some stupid dialogs by children in-between, the song and the arrangement is quite catchy. 'kattazhagi, kattazhagi, onna katteekappOradhu yAru'...On a relatively loud volume in the car, this song sounds wonderful as it has terrific bass score. (I've heard this a number of times last week while driving, konjam nostalgia uNdAkkaRa pAttu)... The pallavi has the percussion loop similar to `kavidhai pAdu kuyilE, kuyilE idhu vasandhamE'...saraNam has a loop like `motta mAdi, motta mAdi'...and the second interlude has another etc...

Though the name is `thirunelvEli', the language of kids in this song reminds Virudhunagar:-) However, all of a sudden the female lead sings in konguththamizh! (`appAtta pEsONum englisulA' sounds like kOvai saraLA)...BTW, who is this female singer? I don't have the inlay card...does anyone know? She has done a wonderful job!

rajasaranam
18th November 2005, 10:18 AM
Let me Give you all a song By Our Raaja which can be enjoyed any time anywhere. Excellently rendered by IR. :thumbsup:
http://rapidshare.de/files/7791019/Manipoor_Maamiyaar_-_Rasiganae_En_Arugil.mp3.html

S.Balaji
19th November 2005, 02:33 PM
IMO.... April Mayilay pasumayay illay.... song from Idhayam... is one of the outstanding songs of IR....
However ...its a slight recollection of Indha Minminikku kannil oru minnal vandhadhu..... on certain portions of the song.....

IR ..... with a lovely Base guitar background to support ...which will flow all through the song.....
The flow of Base guitar will be terrfic when IR touches.... ada thevayaa.... ada pongayaa... June julayaaa....... ( the base will follow ir's voice at the same speed

app_engine
6th January 2006, 02:31 AM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/magazines/veli_snippets.htm

oru pAttuppAda reNdu laksham...