PDA

View Full Version : ARR as a singer

Nerd
18th October 2005, 07:01 AM
Whenever ARR sings a song its bound to be a hit.. I dont remember any of the songs he has sung becoming a dud... He picks the right song to sing... from oorvasi to anbE aaruyirE to piya haji ali all the songs that he has sung is always a hit. Even his humming takes u somewhere.. From yehlelo in rOja to fanaaa in AE.. Lets discuss some of the evergreen, eternal songs that he has sung 8-)

Alien
18th October 2005, 08:06 AM
I dont remember any of the songs he has sung becoming a dud... He picks the right song to sing... from oorvasi to anbE aaruyirE to piya haji ali all the songs that he has sung is always a hit. Even his humming takes u somewhere..
Exactly said ! :clap: unlike some other MD's who would do a song, that by all means can't be matched by them, & kill us with their eerie voice, u all know who :lol:

Coming back to the topic ,
I too loved all the songs he sang and his humming :P ...
If i were to choose one, I would say "veLLai pookkaL.." from KM 8-)

lancelot
18th October 2005, 08:44 AM
I dont remember any of the songs he has sung becoming a dud... He picks the right song to sing... from oorvasi to anbE aaruyirE to piya haji ali all the songs that he has sung is always a hit. Even his humming takes u somewhere..
Exactly said ! :clap: unlike some other MD's who would do a song, that by all means can't be matched by them, & kill us with their eerie voice, u all know who :lol:

Coming back to the topic ,
I too loved all the songs he sang and his humming :P ...
If i were to choose one, I would say "veLLai pookkaL.." from KM 8-)

Vellai pookal is also my fav.. i also like Arabi Kadal Orem

has ARR sung for other MDs....???
hehe
:D

Nerd
18th October 2005, 09:07 AM
//has ARR sung for other MDs....??? //

I dont think so, informed hubbers can enlighten us :)

But fiza's main MD was anu malik and ARR sang a song and I guess he is the one who composed that as well 8-)

dinesh2002
18th October 2005, 03:57 PM
//has ARR sung for other MDs....??? //

I dont think so, informed hubbers can enlighten us :)

But fiza's main MD was anu malik and ARR sang a song and I guess he is the one who composed that as well 8-)

nope man,that Piya Haji Ali was composed by ARR aswell.ARR was just a guest composer there.

the best part i like bout ARR...He doesnt sing Love/duet songs.Even he did (Like sandhai kozi - ae ) was just the second interlude part....

Nerd
18th October 2005, 10:45 PM
Well dinesh that is what I meant as well. I should have probably rephrased my sentance to improve its readability :)

m_23_bayarea
18th October 2005, 10:48 PM
ARR is the best singer when it comes to taking the higest pitch. All the songs he's sung have such a high scale, that only he can do. Even in Oruvan Oruvan song in Muthu, the interlude was so good, but man, he sang it so high....ARR is just the best in music...

Sanguine Sridhar
18th October 2005, 10:49 PM
What abt his humming in "Sandai kozhi kozhi" ...... Awesome! 8-)

Scale
18th October 2005, 11:42 PM
Wow! Nice to c beckam,vasanth here in ARR threads.

Kasi! How did I forgot to create a thread "ARR as a singer". Enna mundhitteenghale :D !

Ok, ennala mudincha oru chinna compiled list of "ARR as a singer"

No. Song Film Part
1 Chinna Chinna Aasai(Tamil&Hindi) Roja Yelelo Bit(3:16-
3:38)
2 Al Maddath Maula Rising
3 Kannalane(Tamil & Hindi) Bombay Ga Ma Pa Ma Bit
(1:45-2:20)
4 Anda Arabikkadaloram Bombay Full Song
5 Urvasi Urvasi(Tamil & Hindi) Kaathalan Full Song
6 Aathankarai Marame Kizhakku Cheemayile A Humming Bit
(1:33-1:49)
7 Mustafa Mustafa(Tamil & Hindi) Kadhal Desam Full Song
8 Hello Doctor Kadhal Desam Full Song
9 Kalluri Salai(Tamil & Hindi) Kadhal Desam Full Song
10 No Problem(Tamil & Hindi) Love Birds After 3:50
11 Maghta Hai Kya(Hindi & Tamil) Rangeela Full Song
12 Maa Tujhe Salaam(Hindi & Tamil)Vande Mataram(Album)Full Song
13 Gurus Of Peace Vande Mataram(Album) Full Song
14 Tauba Tauba Vande Mataram(Album) Full Song
15 Only You Vande Mataram(Album) Full Song
16 Masoom Vande Mataram(Album) Full Song
17 Musafir Vande Mataram(Album) Full Song
18 The Thump Of Daud Daud Only 'Daud' Hummings
19 Colombus(Tamil Only) Jeans Full Song
20 Dil Se Re(Hindi & Tamil) Dil Se Full Song
21 Ishq Bina Taal Gudd Se Meeta Ishq
Part
22 Ekam Satyam Concert with Michael Jackson Full Song
23 National Anthem Collective Vocal Jana Gana Mana 2000
24 Piya Haji Ali Fiza Full Song
25 Chale Chalo Lagaan Full Song
26 Vellai Pookkal Kannathil Muthamittal Full Song
27 Desh Mere Desh Mere The Legend Of Bhagat Singh Full Song
28 Mere Yaar Milade Saathiya Full Song
29 Airtel Ad Airtel Ad Only a talking
part
30 Wedding Qawwali Bombay Dreams Full Song
31 Boom Boom Boys Only some
chants
32 Jana Gana Mana(Tamil & Hindi)Aayitha Ezhuthu\Yuva Full Song
33 Sandai Kozhi(Tamil & Hindi) Aayitha Ezhuthu\Yuva
Humming(2:23-3:15)
34 Fanaa(Tamil & Hindi) Aayitha Ezhuthu\Yuva Full Song
35 Ye Jo Des Hai Tera(Hindi & Tamil) Swades\Desam Full Song
36 Aazadi Netaji:The Forgotten Hero Full Song
37 Zikr Netaji:The Forgotten Hero Full Song
38 Like AN Eagle Bombay Dreams
39 r u sure u want to be famous Bombay Dreams
40 Salaam Bombay Bombay Dreams
41 Kokku saiva kokku Muthu Vocal Interlude(3:35-
3:55)
42 Kannai katti kollathae Iruvar Viduthalai
chant(beginning & interlude)
43 Aayirathhil naan oruvan Iruvar Interlude vocals
44 Yodha theme music Yodha interlude vocals
45 Thanneerai Kaadhalikkum Mr.Romeo Humming(1:03-1:06)
46 Kapal yeri poyachu Indian 3:59-4:15
47 So Gayain Hain part2 Zubeida in chorus with Lata
48 Bombay Dreams Bombay Dreams alaap(2:30-2:50)
49 Kuch bhi na socha(Hin &Tam) Bombay(Hin &Tam) alaap(3:37-4:02)
50 Pyar yeh janay kaisa Rangeela Humming
51 Petta Rap(Hin & Tam) Kaadhalan OOoooo OOoooo at 2:53
52 Chandralekha(Hin &Tam) Thiruda Thiruda from 4:32
53 Thee Thee(Hin & Tam) Thiruda Thiruda from 1:06-1:32
54 Dil Ka Raja Tu hi MeraDil 2:23 to 2:39
55 Sun le O janam Tu hi MeraDil
56 Hai Rabba Jeans 4:10 to 4: 50
57 Samba Samba Love Birds 3:33 to 3:45
58 Oruvan Oruvan Muthu 3:53 to 4:17
59 Tu Hi Tu Kabhi Na Kabhi 0:00 to 0:35
60 Shakalaka Baby Mudhalvan/Nayak No No No Part
61 Ishq Bina Remix Taal 7:20 to 7:38
62 Rang De Thakshak 5:01 to 5:10
63 Pachai Nirame Alai Paayuthe Saakhiye Part
64 Maangalyam Saathiya/Alaipayuthe 1:00 & 1:22 to 1:26
65 Journey Home Bombay Dreams 3:55-end
66 Sabaq Aisaa Tehzeeb 3:23-3:35
67 Khoye Khoye Ankhain Tehzeeb
68 Lords An's empire WOHE
69 Ah Aah - Aararai Kodi
70 Poverty Anthem - TB

Nerd
18th October 2005, 11:54 PM
:clap:

I was about to ask someone to come up with something like this. Wonder if you had missed out some :) We should rave about each and every song you listed and its excellence 8-)

Scale
14th November 2005, 12:31 PM
Forthcoming releases ARR as a singer

a) Godfather (ARR solo)
b) Rang De Basanti (ARR & Lata mangeshkar)
c) Poverty Anthem (ARR & Blaze)
d) The Lord of the Rings (ARR & Blaze)

united07
14th November 2005, 01:58 PM
I thot the interlude in Sandai Kozhi is by Adnan Sami
It sounds more like him......

can anyone confirm!

Scale
14th November 2005, 02:20 PM
united!

Its ARR.

Adnansami :shock: :twisted: :banghead: :hammer:

muzammil84
14th November 2005, 08:11 PM
hello guys get about arr as a singer, and other singer's too intreduse by arr , u can all the list there :)
http://uyirvani.com/forums/index.php?showforum=45

Nerd
16th November 2005, 07:41 AM
ARR was once asked in an interview how it is possible that whatever he sings becomes a super hit and this was his response:

"Since I compose the song, probably I also know how to sing that better than others and I exactly know what kind of songs will suit me"

:thumbsup:

Scale
16th November 2005, 12:35 PM
Dedicating my 500th post with a new avatar to "The Ruler of the Strings" (TLOR) who enlightened me with passion, wisdom, patience & interest to listen music(anything) keenly & all Rahmaniacs here who heaved me to join TFM. I am probably enjoying the best part of my life being associated here.

Listening to ARR's Vande Mataram
"Maah Tujhe Salam", "Only You", "Gurus of Peace", "Tauba Tauba", "Musafir", "Masoom", "தாய் மண்ணே வணக்கம்"

Pertaining to the topic, I would rate this album as his best vocal ever. What an album!. Mindblowing :clap:. Mesmerising & Soulful Vocal from this amazing personality!. Just listen to the instrumental version. Injects patriotism. I wish he comes with more such albums rather concentrating much on filmi music.

An Expert's review:

"Vande Mataram" became a Sanskit rallying cry for freedom in the early 1900s, as Indians protested against the partitioning of Bengal and its use as the title for the first international release by Ar Rahman, one of India's most popular contemporary recordings artists, is appropriate. Vande Mataram was released to coincide with the fiftieth anniversary of India's independence from colonial Britain and it also was designed to introduce the western world, particularly the United States, the wonders of modern Indian music and culture. Rahman is a clever, skilled composer and for this record, he blends Indian music with worldbeat, new age and light dance music, creating an accessible amalgam that nevertheless sounds exotic. He's also enlisted Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, David Byrne, Zakir Hussain, Talvin Singh, L. Shankar and Apache Indian as guest artists, which gives Vande Mataram a richer scope and a broader appeal. The end result is a vibrant, exciting album that has the potential to reach beyond the traditional world music fan.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

muzammil84
16th November 2005, 02:42 PM
ya scale , i heard all of songs yesteday in my mp3 player, woooooooow really mind blowing , and Musafir what a western music :), i never heard like this song :)

karthik_sa2
3rd December 2005, 11:43 PM
my best of arr' voice is "vandhe mataram","vellai boomi" and jana gana mana from A.E.

thot yuvan has a big influence on arr's singing.true????

karthik_sa2
3rd December 2005, 11:48 PM
scale wrote:

scale can u tell me more about this or any links

Scale
4th December 2005, 11:34 AM
scale wrote:

scale can u tell me more about this or any links

http://www.indiaoye.com/arrahman.htm

In October 1999, Rahman performed a song "Ekam Satyam" in a charity concert in Munich with Michael Jackson called "MJ and friends". The meeting between Rahman and Michael Jackson was arranged by Hindujas and Bharat Bala. Rahman and his troupe performed after Michael Jackson in the concert. Melodious strains of 'Satyameva Jayate' by Rahman provided the closing to the concert by pop king Michael Jackson.

ARR has also said in few interviews that he has performed <live> with MJ for the munich concert

http://groups.msn.com/mytamilteens/international.msnw

(check the end of this page). Still I am trying to find more from the archives.

Honestly, this is finally what we have heard from a trusted source in ARR YG for no audio/video available yet. It was SONY's release and yet remains a mystery for unreleased!.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/arrahmanfans/message/48474

Date: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:18 pm
Subject: Re: where can i get ekam satyam song?

As far as I remember, A R R told me that the song was never performed.. Just as they were to be introduced, Michael Jackson had to be put on a stretcher and taken to a hospital for some reason..
Don't remember if the song was performed or not. a r r does have it on mp3 though. Find a transcript from fans who attended the concert
I guess.

Nerd
6th December 2005, 08:22 AM

whats this about, karthik?

karthik_sa2
6th December 2005, 10:50 AM
karthik_sa2 wrote:

whats this about, karthik

hey sorry i meant the other way.yuvan's singing has been influenced by arr's singing

hi scale
thanx for that that mic arr concert info.let me know if u get to find the mp3 of that concert.

also in the album "invincible" there's a song called "lost children"its typical arr's style

ab_123
30th April 2006, 04:30 AM
My latest favorite of his is Lukka Chuppi. IMO, this is his best singing to date.

others include:

Dil Se (Ek Suraj Nikla Tha)

He is quite good at the high notes.

I read an article where Sadna Sargam says that he records a demo of the song the way he wants her to sing, and she just learns from there (accent etc) This shows his abilty as a singer.

I never realised how hard his compositions are (from a singing POV), with the sudden shifts of high to low notes (Vande Mataram, Mitwa and others), until I watched other people trying to sing his songs (in the Reality Singing Contests).

ramky
2nd June 2006, 08:15 AM
my latest favourite song, sung by ARR - Aararai KOdi pErgali oruvan. ARR's music and voice does full justice to the lyrics of vaale.

Nerd
7th June 2006, 02:32 AM
My latest favorite of his is Lukka Chuppi. IMO, this is his best singing to date.

Absolutely!! Even I thought so after watching the movie.. By virtue of this song, ARR has proved that HE too can get into the emotions of the viewer through his singing capabilities :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
30th June 2006, 12:42 AM
?-/////

Dragun
30th June 2006, 01:11 AM
Lukka Chuppi, Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera, even Fanaa are challenging songs. Lukka Chuppi is particularly impressive. He has a very evocative voice that's effective even in abstract vocals like in Chinna Chinna Aasai (Roja) and Sandai Kozhi (AE).

Nerd
3rd August 2006, 10:49 PM
When the master sings, the song has to rock :thumbsup:

Latest example being New York nagaramE.. What a song.. excellent orchestration as well..

kb
4th August 2006, 12:34 AM
While listening to some songs we dont try concentrate on the lyrics.. but just the voice.. ARR is one of them..

all his songs are gr8.. vellai pookal and ek suraj niklaatha are my pick

Scale
17th September 2006, 02:08 PM
[tscii:9b603c8256]ARRahman's pathways to Philosophy (2004-06 Edition, Strictly Not for branded Inveterate…)

I have been listening to the following songs repeatedly as a mere check to the thread's title.
1. Yeh Jo Desh Hai Tera (Swades/Desam)
2. Ararai Kodi Pergalil Oruvan (Ah..Aah)
3. Lukka Chuppi (Rang De Basanthi)
4. NewYork Nagaram (SOK)

Literally bowled over' A variety of excellent pick (never before): Patriotism (A call for NRI's), Ethnicity (Thanks giving), Mothers sentiment (Conversational type) & Loneliness (Missing…a fresh Westernish attempt). ARR has been very careful & successful in bringing these emoticons in a right perspective with lots of innovations "ho hoi – chorus a kinda grief feel", "an encouraging kids chorus a.aah, mother-son alaap (sons death) LC & male- female chorus (Rememberance). The involvement (orchestration) he puts in his own tracks is spellbounding and very much obvious in the form of an extended instrumental Shehnai version, Intro/Lead Song . When I say "involvement" Its doesn’t mean that he selfishly reserves the best tracks nor pays less attention to other songs. (New talents are still introduced for potential movies & the tracks like TBBataye, Roobaroo, MVaa , Mayiliragae, Innisai, PPB,HHIPY Instrumental are experimental & superior as well) .

His musical journey has a motivation depicting each and every attributes of human nature in a pure form. Now I wonder who decides the situation of a track or ARR himself gels deep and workout an appropriate point to describe his thinking. NYN for Surya is another perfect example. It is like a mix of Secular & Modern humanim he introduces into his composition everytime. As a proof he himself is a clean, ego-less, awesome personality who stick to his composition what it signifies. Disappointing a great soulful singer-cum-composer haven't been noticed yet by the award juries where he has entered millions of hearts&minds with the other lead favourite singers.

(I have omitted 2004-06: JGM, Azaadi, TVT (GF- yet to release) are similar to the above genres & AMMoula, Zikhr are religious & Khalbali, Fanaah songs are entertaining which I a feel odd for the above discussion. ) [/tscii:9b603c8256]

thamizhvaanan
17th September 2006, 02:22 PM
scale :thumbsup: .... how are u?

thamizhvaanan
17th September 2006, 02:23 PM
You left out "Vellai pookkal" song. It is one among the finest ever sung by an MD. Its kinda pathos plus inspirational song. 8-)

Scale
17th September 2006, 02:32 PM
Tamizhvannan,

I am fine, thanks.. How about you? Will be soon back to full flow :redjump: :redjump:

The point I would like to stress is "All the songs are 2004-06 release"?

Is Rahman losing touch? :idontgetit:

thamizhvaanan
17th September 2006, 02:34 PM
not at all... not after NY nagaram and munbe vaa... or RDB if u go back some time... these are some eternal gems that will be remembered like any of his previous ones are remembered even now :thumbsup:

thamizhvaanan
17th September 2006, 02:36 PM
I would say ARR is growing, his melodies are getting more complex and variety is there for everyone to see. But still his mystical touch is there.... songs that dont sound good at first hearing but come back to blow you away on careful listenings.... I was furious when I heard SOK first... but now.... :musicsmile:

Scale
18th September 2006, 06:59 PM
Tamizh,

Still I resist those three M's (Machakari, Majaa, Maricham). ARR shud have worked on a 1-2 melodies ignoring these. I believe somewhere he has lost attention after the first two songs composed Munbe Vaa & NYN. The other number are great as usual. I am just recollecting other's song comparing to NYN. As a composer, ARR is more courageous this time instead lending it to SPB or inviting Sonu to sing exclusively.

Nerd
18th September 2006, 08:40 PM
The three M's as you put have been rightly justified in the movie. You should watch the movie man !!

Machakkaari -- Minutes b4 the climax and do u expect a melody ?? It has a catchy tune and has some great dance by surya !!

Majaa - Erotic, sensual number. Again situational :P But people walked out of the theatres for this song, even in the US :lol:

Maaricham - The party mix was unbelievable, sad that it lasted for only 15 secs in the movie, should have been another yakkai thiri 8-)

And there is NYN were the master has given his soulful voice and you wont believe the appreciations for this song in the theatre even in this part of the world !!

Scale
20th September 2006, 10:38 PM
nanba,

[tscii:a1da00c1b5]Is yr $10 spent worth now? :lol: I regret for my comments without watching it.

From Album 's POV,
1 & 2 M's : plain rehash of AAah's TV& MK: the mood of the song, orchestration & singers-
combo <shocked>SM-VD & Shreya-SPB (Oh charan, doesn’t make diff tho) are
same.
3 rd M : Inducing Dj-styled another seducing no..is out of his stupendous record of variety- applies to
1&2 M
4 th M : WTH! 4th 'M' (Vaa) Escapes narrowly w/ santoor prelude & Rahmanish
melody's structure/interludes nowhere resembles 60-70's melody
(Mayilirage/Innisai) with a revamp of Orchestration.

Newyork Nagaram tho it starts like "Roobaroo" defntly stands out for its lovely lyrics & ARR's soulful singing. Check the Sax intro(thanimayin nimisham varushamanadhe) & then jumps to IInd interlude leaving a further end to Ist charanam. Ends in Sax (NYN)version & ARR's joy of scream beautifies more.

Kummi Adi & Title song are experimental best for those genre.

Its just My opinion (4/7), Good you all liked the rest too.
[/tscii:a1da00c1b5]

Nerd
28th January 2009, 12:10 AM
Reviving a thread which I started(!) more than three years ago. There have been many new songs. My favorites being O Saya and Meherbaan. Listening to Meherbaan currently. Love the way he goes,
Tu hE nadhiyAn
mE hU sangam
Tu nayA saal
mE pehla mOsam
:clap: :bow:

littlemaster1982
28th January 2009, 10:47 AM
Reviving a thread which I started(!) more than three years ago. There have been many new songs. My favorites being O Saya and Meherbaan. Listening to Meherbaan currently. Love the way he goes,
Tu hE nadhiyAn
mE hU sangam
Tu nayA saal
mE pehla mOsam

My favorite part too. Absolute delight :notworthy:

thamizhvaanan
28th January 2009, 11:10 AM
I am listening Rehna Tu non-stop ever since the album released. What a beautiful rendition by thalaivar! Mesmerizing is the word :thumbsup:

Wibha
28th January 2009, 12:06 PM
Tu hE nadhiyAn
mE hU sangam
Tu nayA saal
mE pehla mOsam

Yes :notworthy: it gives u a feeling of divinity.....

I still can't tell which song of his is my most favorite :( Everything is Equally good,..

Roshan
28th January 2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks to scale for the detailed list. ellA pAtteyum maRupadiyum kEttuttuthAn favourite ethunnu theermAnikkanum. I think I like all. Recent favourite is 'AaruyirE ennai mannippAyA mannippAyA sol en sagiyE' from Guru. Is that the first romantic song he has sung? :roll:

Scale
29th January 2009, 12:53 PM
Roshan,

Did you mean a romantic duet? Then ARR is easily disqualified and still uncomfortable. Andha Golden Momenta paarkanume? :lol: Its rather strange the first full duet song is in hindi Manghta Hai Kya from Rangeela with Shweta. RGV might have insisted with convicton. Anyone else could have sung that overpoweringly and as good as ARR is a million dollar take! Even though his early solo/chorus/humming are quiet romantic in genre but that does not qualify to a full romantic duet.

Now with Rehna Tu he is back again to passionate solo. He is extremely good in that! Lots of variations can be seen throughout & to sample check "Rehna Tu" part alone and how excitedly he carried it to a full lenght track 6 mins "thoda sa resham" & chorus is really beautiful and who else could have done that incredible continum postlude.

Terrific Song!!!

Ramakrishna
21st March 2009, 12:40 AM
ararai kodi n theeyl vizhunda (voice only version)

http://www.4shared.com/file/93999873/f0116935/Aarari_Kodi___Voiceless_.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/94004390/e61c2f0a/Theezil_vizhundha___Voice_.html

Ramakrishna
22nd March 2009, 05:22 PM
YE JO DES HAI TERA (voice only version)
http://www.mediafire.com/?tnymg5jdwnm

Aalavanthan
10th February 2010, 09:23 PM
New york Nagaram ..

Excellent song.. Great composition... Soothing voice & music.. Lovable lyrics.. And the chorus behind Rahman's voice.. amma thaai maargalaa.. yaara irundhaalum ungaluku engaloda NANRI HEIs

when I first listened to this song, in the first interlude, the keyboard beat reminded me off an old tamil serial.. I think its Mala Kala or something like that.. The saxs in the second interlude along with O'la of chorus lifts up the song

A great great feel good song ..

vAn inGe nIlam anGe
indha uvamaiku iruvarum viLakamAnadhEnO

Vaali ku Jai Ho

19thmay
9th March 2010, 10:47 AM
Goosebumps Begins :

...Kanne thadumaari nadanthen,
Noolil aadum mazhayaagi ponen,
Unnal thaan kalaignaai aaneney.....
Tholai thoorathil velicham!! nee,
Unnai nokkiye yenai eerkiraaiyeh....

Goosebumps <repeated and repeated and repeated... even when I am typing now>

Melum melum urugi urugi,
Unnai yenni yengum
Idhayathai yenna seiveyn..

Oohhhh.. Unnai yenni yengum

Take a bow! :notworthy: :notworthy:

littlemaster1982
9th March 2010, 11:20 AM
His entry is awesome in this song 8-)

ajaybaskar
9th March 2010, 11:27 AM
I like the way he finishes his part...

Aalavanthan
9th March 2010, 03:37 PM
hmm. nadakattum nadakattum.. Original DVD vara varaikum naan local printla paakka koodaadhunu irukaen .. Hopefully it should be out within two weeks.. :?

Yuvi
23rd March 2010, 05:44 PM

The pallavi had little less for Karthik to show his expressions (although, he couldnt come out of his air punches and foot kicks). Karthik after (finally) getting a nod from Jessey rides in the canoe.

Goutham: This is the situation ARR/Thamarai

Thamarai: So the song begins in Kerala with the acceptance of love from Jessey and since its a night time with nobody (even Jessey) around, the hero is left only with the moon on top. So I write "tholai dhoorathil velicham nee, unai nokkiye enai eerkiraayae"

ARR: I understand that the female sings with a satisfaction that she has accepted the love but the hero should fly top to bottom after waiting for such a long time. I will have to take this line to the top (so that the hero looks at the full mooon on top of him) and ofcourse, if he is looking at the sky, the line cannot be in a normal pitch, hence it has to be in hihgh pitch.

ajaybaskar
23rd March 2010, 06:55 PM
Yuvi,

U Listened to the Telugu version?

Yuvi
23rd March 2010, 07:05 PM
illae Ajay .. kEttAlum puriyAdhunu kekkardhillae. anything interesting ?

ajaybaskar
23rd March 2010, 07:09 PM
IMO, Karthik has done a good job in that song. Give a listen...

A.ANAND
25th March 2010, 06:59 PM
Goosebumps Begins :

Melum melum urugi urugi,
Unnai yenni yengum

itha padikum bothu enakke goosebumps! :lol:

19thmay :notworthy: :notworthy:

anubavikkanum! :yes:

raghavendran
30th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Goosebumps Begins :

Melum melum urugi urugi,
Unnai yenni yengum

itha padikum bothu enakke goosebumps! :lol:

19thmay :notworthy: :notworthy:

anubavikkanum! :yes: :exactly: :exactly: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...goosebumps...throught out the song...

prashanth12
26th July 2010, 04:42 AM
ARR's voice has a nice quality when humming or singing soft notes.

But i don't think he can carry a song like "vellai pookal" or "unthan desathin". In those songs he kind of strains to hit high notes or pull them off convincingly. And the pronunciation is kind of weird sometimes.

as a composer he did wonderful job with these two songs, but if he had gotten a more experienced singer, they would have been even better. It is kind of a loss.

even ARR acknowledges singing is not his strength.

Dragun
26th July 2010, 10:23 AM
Prashanth, I thought ARR did a wonderful job in Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera. The Tamil version wasn't quite as good.

Siv.S
26th July 2010, 12:13 PM
ARR's voice has a nice quality when humming or singing soft notes.

But i don't think he can carry a song like "vellai pookal" or "unthan desathin". In those songs he kind of strains to hit high notes or pull them off convincingly. And the pronunciation is kind of weird sometimes.

as a composer he did wonderful job with these two songs, but if he had gotten a more experienced singer, they would have been even better. It is kind of a loss.

even ARR acknowledges singing is not his strength.
:shock: That was lovely singing....

Plum
26th July 2010, 12:42 PM
undhan desathin and veLLai pookkaL are made for ARR the singer. I am surprised at the questioning of these 2 in particular.
Another favourite - Dil Se re...
And Tu bole from JTYJN was cute as well. Rahman can cover a range of emotions in his singing.

Ramakrishna
26th July 2010, 01:28 PM
He wasn't anywhere close to being perfect in his singing of those songs. But it worked. I don't think anybody else singing those songs would have made such a big impact on the listeners. The uniqueness is his voice more than his singing abilities makes him work as a singer

prashanth12
27th July 2010, 05:17 AM
:shock: That was lovely singing....

some of it was ok, but some of it (the way he sings) just doesn't that convincing to me (like "mazhai paadum paadangalum" for example). sometimes it makes the song sound more amateurish than it should.. i dunno. just my opinion. no harm intended.

rsubras
29th July 2010, 05:54 PM
Rahman should only lend his voice after he knows who is going to mouth the song in screen.. It was pretty sad to see Simbu struggling to show the emotions that Rahman conveyed in that Mannipaya song... It wsa more like Simbu just went crazy after not knowing how to react to that song and so shook his legs and hands in dismay. IMO Surya did a very good job in New york nagaram, (especially in that jillendru bhoomi irunthum lines... both Rahman and Surya create that jill effect in their face for those words), Ajith to a large extent in theeyil vizhuntha song and Rajini to some extent in Athiradi song (thatz more coz the song was a stylish song) Vijay in ATM for Ella pugazhum was IMO pathetic...as watching the song, it was like there was one layer of an excellent Song and another layer of good Dance, but both not gelling at all......

Nerd
1st August 2010, 11:54 PM
சாதல் இல்லா சாபம் வாங்கி மண்மேலே வந்தேனே
தேய்மானமே இல்லா காதல் கொண்டு வந்தேனே

Synthesized (What else do you expect its the robot singing it.) voice notwithstanding - Goosebumps.

raghavendran
2nd August 2010, 01:49 PM
irubile...super rendition...

Sunil_M88
28th January 2011, 07:15 PM
Kurukuru Kan (Afro Nisha), still not sure who or what Afro Nisha is but who really gives a toss anyway. Thalaivar's voice patinizes this song through and through.

Sunil_M88
7th February 2011, 10:55 PM
Theeyil Vizhundha - The melow voice is equally emotive as the earthy one. Both extremes of ARRs vocal range are heard in this one. :) :musicsmile:

venkkiram
8th February 2011, 03:15 AM
விட்டெரிந்த பந்து போலே
உள்ளம் துள்ளட்டும்
பொத்திப் பொத்தி வைத்து
பழக்கமுமில்லை வழக்கமுமில்லை
மனமொரு திறந்த புத்தகம் தான்
நல்ல மனம் தான்
வெல்லும் தினம்தான்

I like ARR voice in "ஆறரை கோடி பேர்களில் ஒருவன்".

Sunil_M88
19th February 2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kkchH99dfI

Sunil_M88
27th February 2011, 05:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQoh2YnFZM

Sunil_M88
27th February 2011, 05:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-30F0aS9l-c

Sunil_M88
27th February 2011, 05:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUPFfxQzHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzL-hZXVbIw

Sunil_M88
15th June 2011, 03:56 PM
Piya Haji Ali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3KqaNzOxYI

It's really surprising how a soft-spoken Rahman ji who always maintains a calm monotone when normally speaking can reach so many high notes. This song is one of the many examples.

Sunil_M88
16th October 2011, 05:35 PM
This year, Rahman ji, has outdone himself again.Satyameva jayate, Mahiya, Kun faaya kun and to top the list Naadaan parindey.

Sunil_M88
24th January 2012, 04:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJEyd9Z83V0

Sunil_M88
24th January 2012, 04:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PBz3n4FoMU

Sunil_M88
6th May 2012, 06:55 PM
RAHMANJI'S ROAR

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8964-Song-of-the-Open-Road-(Latest-song-heard-Part-9)&p=855877&viewfull=1#post855877

Arvind Srinivasan
25th May 2012, 03:38 PM
My top ten Rahman, the singer numbers...

1) Vellai Pookal- Easily my fav song that Rahman's sung. Enna music yaar. My respect for ARR grew many folds after this song. The 1st charanam's lines காற்றின் பேரிசையும், மழை பாடும் பாடல்களும், ஒரு மௌனம் போல் இன்பம் தருமோ? கோடி கீர்த்தனமும் கவி கோர்த்த வார்த்தைகளும், துளி கண்ணீர் போல் அர்த்தம் தருமோ ? and the way rahman sings it is just mindblowing.
2) Dilse re- A song thats transcended a decade and still ranks among the top. As a singer myself I know the difficulty in singing this song with the same intensity and freedom of that of Rahmans.
3)Yeh jo des hai thera- A song that strings your heart all together. Watch out when Rahman starts singing the second charanam from 'ye pal hai wahi'. The way he improvises in the middle of the charanam is also great hearing.
4) Kwaja mere kwaja - A sufi song and Rahman rendering it. Enough said
5) Rehna tu- the song was the best ( acc to me) in an album filled with musical gems and it is rahman who transforms this song to greatness through his voice. .Watch out for the instrument piece with the continuum keyboard in the end. Absolutely magical
6) New york Nagaram - There are certain songs where rahman the musician career that overshadows rahman the singer. But here Rahman the singer is as bright as the sun. Guess he keeps the songs that he feels passionate about for himself.
7) Luka Chuppi- A song that features Lata Mangeshkar and ARR engaging in harkaths. Magic in the form of music
8) Ella pugazhum- High octane energy from the man. And he sings all the way till the song ends...
9) Humma Humma- raw energy and one of the first ever full fledged efforts from rahman, the singer and a song to savour for ages.
10) Pray for me brother- A song that I cannot get out of my head. The lines have an haunting effect

Roshan
25th May 2012, 11:50 PM
I was listening to Nadan Parinde and Kun Faya Kun a while ago and came here to post about AR's singing. Nice post Arvind. I am a fanatic of his singing.

He sounds so blissful in Kun Faya Kun.

Arvind Srinivasan
26th May 2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks Roshan...Being a musician myself I feel ARR has to be amongst the top of best ever singer-music directors along the sides of IR.

Roshan
26th May 2012, 01:24 AM
Thanks Roshan...Being a musician myself I feel ARR has to be amongst the top of best ever singer-music directors along the sides of IR.

True ! I remember writing a note about AR's singing and some of my favourite songs rendered by him, sometime back on FB in a poll thread that was circulated around to chose the best Singer-MD. I should look for it and post it here.

And great to know that you are a singer. IMO singing skill is a very special devine gift and you are one among the chosen lot :)

Arvind Srinivasan
26th May 2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks again Roshan....ARR, IR kittalaan naan amicha CD irukannum, but yet to recieve a call..:)..Coming back ,heard in Super Singer once from Sujatha, that while she recognised ARR as a good singer, it was Vellai pookal that made sujatha an ardent admirer of him ....

Roshan
26th May 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks again Roshan....ARR, IR kittalaan naan amicha CD irukannum, but yet to recieve a call..:)

Oh ! :D Good luck and hope you receive the call soon.

Coming back ,heard in Super Singer once from Sujatha, that while she recognised ARR as a good singer, it was Vellai pookal that made sujatha an ardent admirer of him ....

Oh thanks for that piece of info.

venkkiram
26th May 2012, 02:04 PM
Mustafa Mustafa
Dil Se Re
Vellai Pookal
Aararai Kodi
Tere Bina
Ellapugazhum
Mannippaya
Irumbile Oru Irudhaiyam
Kun Faya Kun
Nadaan Parinde
Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera

SoftSword
26th May 2012, 04:24 PM
pretty nice choices venki... all of them are in my favs of him...

Arvind Srinivasan
26th May 2012, 04:40 PM
Mustafa Mustafa
Dil Se Re
Vellai Pookal
Aararai Kodi
Tere Bina
Ellapugazhum
Mannippaya
Irumbile Oru Irudhaiyam
Kun Faya Kun
Nadaan Parinde
Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera

Good choices Venki....Am a big fan of Nadaan Parindey and Kun Faya Kun. But it's just that I am not able to think of those as stand alone rahman numbers....Both the songs had equal brilliance from Mohit chauhan and Javed Ali.....

lydayaxobia493
26th May 2012, 04:59 PM
ARR as a solo singer... (not wit co-singers)..

1. Mustafa mustafa
2. Columbus Columbus
3. Vellai Pookal
4. Mere Yaar Mila De
5. Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera
6. Aararai Kodi
7. Theeyil Vizhunda
8. New York Nagaram
9. Ellapugazhum
10. Khwaja Mere Khwaja
11. Tu Bole Main Boloon
12. Meherbaan
13. Kuru Kuru
14. Maaralante Lokam
15. Kya Hai Mohabbat

Roshan
11th June 2012, 11:54 PM
Every song that AR has sung is special and unique in it's own way. This song is my most favourite AR rendered song. Love it !!! - Aaruyirae mannippayaa mannipaaya solladi en sagiyae. The Swara portion is spellbinding. :notworthy: for AR's voice.

Roshan
21st June 2012, 09:00 PM
Was listening to Sahana Saaral on a loop yesterday.. The 'dheemthananana' swara portion rendered by ARR in the interlude is like mundiri in a tasty paayasam. One of the reasons why I listen to this song often :)

V_S
22nd June 2012, 06:07 AM
Was listening to Sahana Saaral on a loop yesterday.. The 'dheemthananana' swara portion rendered by ARR in the interlude is like mundiri in a tasty paayasam. One of the reasons why I listen to this song often :)
:thumbsup: Wonderful piece! Heavenly!

Sunil_M88
24th June 2012, 09:45 PM
Intervention from Couples Retreat

The mystical harp in the beginning, soporifically paves a journey to an enchanting realm. The bass drum synonymously sounds like a heartbeat and footsteps that are usually caused by unknown excitement. The subtle nuances include tinkle bells, wind chimes, etc.

Rahman Ji’s humming leaves a haunting echo which melts in the ambient pads. Before the dramatic orchestral strings, there is a charming delay and reverb added to the humming which if you close your eyes you can see sir with a halo.

More choral music joins in after the strings and right from the exquisite solo female chant, thumping tom-drums, flourishing harps and horns to the part where Rahman Ji reaches a plateau, this piece definitely ignites a magical feeling. Very spellbinding indeed! The strings definitely paint a vast desert below a peach coloured sky, almost as if its dusk in the Sahara.

The theme ends with a piano and harp fading out. Press replay to experience this piece again and again.

:musicsmile:

Sunil_M88
7th July 2012, 11:23 PM
Niyaz - Sumud 2012 - 04 mazaar

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHweRhCujw

:shock: Don't know I missed this one :(

#nowplaying The way Rahman Ji's wavers "Ali" at the beginning is highly lethal. I don't see no other singer roaring like. The raaga based first interlude :musicsmile:

Ramakrishna
8th July 2012, 12:02 AM
Niyaz - Sumud 2012 - 04 mazaar

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHweRhCujw

:shock: Don't know I missed this one :(

#nowplaying The way Rahman Ji's wavers "Ali" at the beginning is highly lethal. I don't see no other singer roaring like. The raaga based first interlude :musicsmile:

Whats this song? Which album?

Sunil_M88
8th July 2012, 12:06 AM
Album: Sumud
Artist: Niyaz
Release:22nd of May 2012

Rahman Ji features as a guest artist for a traditional Afghan folk song.

Sunil_M88
19th July 2012, 03:20 AM
Naan Varuvene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac6AP0g0ELk

Sunil_M88
13th August 2012, 09:43 PM
New York to L.A.

Rahman Ji just oozes away with absolute ease :musicsmile:

Sunil_M88
13th August 2012, 09:45 PM
Rahman Ji's delightful portions in miracle worker :musicsmile:

Ramakrishna
13th August 2012, 10:42 PM
Rahman Ji's delightful portions in miracle worker :musicsmile:

I never got to listen to the whole song, is there a download link? Can you PM it to me?

Sunil_M88
14th August 2012, 04:30 PM
check pm

Ramakrishna
14th August 2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you

SoftSword
14th August 2012, 10:05 PM
why not post in the thread instead of pm..?

Sunil_M88
14th August 2012, 10:17 PM
I thought I'd be generous and forward the whole album instead of the lone song. I assume everyone's got a copy of the album though :)

Sunil_M88
14th September 2012, 03:46 AM
Sivaji – Athiradee

"Dil Dhik Dil Thendral Nenjil.. Thithikkindra Anril
Kunjil.. Jil Jil Jil Ginger Pennil.. Jil Endroru Jin Thaan Kannil.."

Thalaivar just blazes through this with absolute ease. This is one of the most
un-rahman-ish song when it comes to instrumentation yet the core of the melody
drags every listener closer to the song just like any other song by Rahman ji.

SoftSword
14th September 2012, 03:25 PM
yes... best of the album..
inspite of the meaningless complex words to pronounce, if so many people can sing this song along while it is played anywhere is only becos of the melody.. the guitar interludes were so much west... (grouch could talk a bit on the eastwood connection which is invoked here)
Rajini vera summa thulli gudhippaaru.. the choreography, costumes, sets... brilliant.

groucho070
14th September 2012, 04:18 PM
SS, ithukku pm-A, I wanted to check this thread anyway. Always been a fan of ARR the singer...so many copycats now, lazy fat cows not knowing ARR's nuances and nelivu sulivuness that I can't describe. He is a breath of fresh air himself from 90s onwards, as a singer. Trouble is, he is also using those copycats. But athu veru vishayam.

This Rajini/Eastwood connection always intrigued me. The superhero Eastwood's equivalent to superstar Rajini.The anti-hero Eastwood of shooting first and don't give a f*** later that resonates in many of Rajini's characters (including Mullum Malarum, mind you) The awesome one-liners of Eastwood with Rajini's punch dialogue. The cool cat demeanour. The smoking. The glare. The walk (Eastwood's panther-esque stroll vs Rajini's bolt) I don't think Rajini consciously had Eastwood in mind when he is doing all this. He is a goddam Sivaji Ganesan hardcore fan, ferbrandossake.

But ARR being ARR found that connection, because I think he is a huge fan of Rajini. And I note that many hc fan of Rajini immediately connect with Eastwood, and probably that's what led ARR to be influenced a lot more by Morricone. Come on, Baba's theme is Morricone's Untouchable, and we all know that. Plus the movie version was a reworking of the original TV series. He couldn't resist using it, modifying it oh-so-softly for the Eastwoodly identified Rajini (note that Rajini's look here, shadowy beard not different from some of Eastwood's famous character, the closest that I can think of is Pale Rider).

And so, the Morricone-esque guitar is a big welcome. Plus ARR's voice is why this is my favourite of the movie.

And as I said before, Rajini will be the only actor to have sung for by three of the greatest music directors of Tamil film industry.

The score for the original The Untouchables TV series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Cqu6iRC2E

Sunil_M88
15th September 2012, 05:50 AM
Welcome Rakesh :)

We can't ignore Chuck Norris here :lol: If Thalaivar is inspired by Clinty then it also should be noted that believable facts about Thalaivar are nonsense Chucky jokes :lol:

Rajinikanth is undoubtedly the only global superhero. He is smarter than a thousand Chuck Norrises put together. FACT

Softsword, this is for you bro!

Athiradee Voice Only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6qLC_4tkaM

Anyways, from now on whenever Shankar makes a film, HE SHOULD ONLY WORK WITH Rahman Ji and Rajini Da. PERIOD! :bow:

Parthyy
20th September 2012, 03:17 AM
newyork nagaram repeat mode pure bliss

Sunil_M88
20th September 2012, 04:31 AM
Parthyy :thumbsup:

Just like Athiradee, this too has alien arrangements compared to usual ARR songs but it's the melody that does the talking, completely taking over the listeners system.

2003 and 2007 saw Rahman Ji at the peak of experimenting and it's almost as if he was going through some rebellious change over.

Tehzeeb
Aaytha Ezhuthu
New
Anbe Aaruyire
Rang De Basanti
Water
Varalaru
SOK

It's all about jumping out of the box and because we're talking about Rahman Ji then others are bound to fellow the trend!

Parthyy
20th September 2012, 05:38 AM
^yes sunil Varalaaru Theeyil Vizhuntha Thaena rendered by ARR -none could pull that stuff absolute gem especially that blissfull scream
Innisai title song wit carnatic touch and ilamai with that peppy tone are awesome
plus that album much underrated -i say
For me Ayuthe Ezhuthu is best the album of rahman post 2000 a complete package for u to burst the speaker system in the home

Sunil_M88
3rd November 2012, 10:45 PM
http://mtv.in.com/videos/episodes/play/unplugged-2-ar-rahman-nenjukulle-full-song-12602.html#currentshow
Such a moving cover of a classic! Kudos to whatever prompted Rahman Ji to opt for this song!
Rahman JI reinvents a classic as a NEW CLASSIC!