PDA

View Full Version : Cheran's Thavamai Thavamirindhu failed in the field of music

Sundar12345
24th December 2005, 06:31 PM
Cheran's superb effort to bring out a great movie worked except in the field of MUSIC

nilavupriyan
24th December 2005, 06:33 PM
he should have used ilayaraja for such sensitive movies!

Scale
24th December 2005, 06:48 PM
Agreed WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

nilavupriyan
24th December 2005, 06:49 PM
Thats why TT doesnt seem to be a complete good movie like "azhagi" or "sethu" or "barathi"...

Scale
24th December 2005, 07:06 PM
Thats why TT doesnt seem to be a complete good movie like "azhagi" or "sethu" or "barathi"...

To make it a perfect movie, the best way for the producer is to kick cheran out of the film from both actor & director. He just cant handle it properly. Everytime I am amazed how is he able to pick such sensitive issues but when it comes to screenplay & direction he misses a big oppurtunity.

This movie would have turn "DUD" w/o Rajkiran & Saranya. If it would have been anyother director, they might have made it really worth. I am not just talking about the commercial part alone. It lacks the soul.

"Bhaghban" in Hindi has got everything in it. Still, I would recommend everyone to watch this movie with their parents/whole family.

:clap: :clap:

kalladicrapp
25th December 2005, 01:17 AM
a miilion MDs prowl south india and cheran has opted for Sabesh-Murali...!!! what a joke....i think the duo works for free

ramraghav
25th December 2005, 02:02 AM
[quote=nilavupriyan]

"Bhaghban" in Hindi has got everything in it.

:clap: :clap:

good joke, thanks, i'll take it into the new year!

S-M music is good, really. ofcourse IR/YSR would have done better.....

karthik_sa2
25th December 2005, 09:27 PM
.cheran is a great talent.my best of film of his is vettri kodi kattu.ofcourse autograph was a \lso a great movie.he looks good and acts well too.when it comes to music cheran alwys fails .i donno y he is not working with ir.ir wud be his best option for his kind of stuff

MADDY
25th December 2005, 09:50 PM
he looks good and acts well too.when it comes to music cheran alwys fails

:lol: :lol:

Scale
26th December 2005, 11:03 AM
Mr. Ramraghav,

This is Music Section (CT) not Tamil Lit,Ind Hist & Cult nor Misc Sec. Cheran vonga voor kaarara. yengernthu thaan correcta vareenghannu theriyala.

I seriously doubt you have watched TT & Baghban.

TT really sucks. What a deprived climax?. ippadi voru appava naan paarthathe illa. konjam kooda vottave illai. Thannoda mootha magan vanthu "yenakku mattum yenppa kora vachingannu" ketkum podhu naalu ara vudanaalum parava illai, ketka marandhadha appavavadhu kettirukkalam. Antha unarchiyila sethiruntha kooda peruma pattiruppen.

Atha vuttutu, kadaisi kaalathula thannaiyum than manaiviyayiyum yevvalavo kastathulayum kadaisi varaikkum thannoda manaiviyoda kaapathunavana poi "unakkum naan yethavadhu kora vachitenappanu ketkaradhu" TOTALLY ABSURD.

Paiyan notoriousa suthurannu therinja vodane (poruppoda) kalyanam panni vachavaru ivvalavu innocenta irupparunnu nenachi kooda paarkalai.

Go and Watch Bhaghban evvalvo matureda, realisticalla climax frame panni iruppanghannu. orutharu nermaiya kasta pattu kudumbatha(thalaivan) kaapathrarunna anubavamum sernthu varum. ippadi voomaiya iruppparunnu solla varatheengha. Baghban Climaxla Vovvoru dialogueum seruppa kalatti adicha maathiri irukkum. Though Amithab (father) dont want to hurt his sons feeling directly the climax depicts the finest way to make them understand.

good joke, thanks, i'll take it into the new year!

S-M music is good, really. ofcourse IR/YSR would have done better.....

S-M music is good :lol: (Ist person to applaude)

YSR would have done better :rotfl: (ithu joke illaya, itha yen intha varushathulaye vittutu poreengha. In his past 6 yrs he havent comeforward to compose any movies of such type (Classics). What he could probably do is to pick few of his fathers earlier compositions and to remix it)

dinesh2002
17th January 2006, 02:47 PM
the music of TT is just good...unnai saranadainthen is 1 of my fav song of 2005...wonder y u guys come up with this thread....

rajdes
17th January 2006, 06:02 PM
Well, TT takes us back to the Bhim Singh Tear jerkers era of Tamil Films. Ofcourse, the audience for such a film would like to imagine that they are connosieurs of great cinema and that in the midst of masala thiruppachis, this is a saviour for tamil films. SIGH!!! It is just a different masala - the "family" masala not the usual "action" masala avlo dhaan. Try telling this to cheran fans :-)

As for music, TT-la music irundhudha?
My nightmare was "Than maganai sandror ena ketta thai". Evvalavu scope ulla varigal! What I heard in the movie for this lines was a total letdown - konjam kooda emotions-ai touch pannadha bland rendition and a flat tune. Hmm...when you are dealing with emotions, atleast he could have left the background score silent if you cannot enhance the scene with your BGM. Enge poi solluven?

Deeply flawed movie, which takes Tamil Films several steps backward. I mean, the sivakasi type masalas have always been there so they cant do much harm to tamil filmdom. But a movie like this, a pseudo-realistic movie like this, can hurt because it will spawn off a 1000 imitations - and people will have the gall to call it "realistic", and "great" cinema.

IMO, this is just like the "love movies" wave a few years ago starting with Kadhal Kottai. Sariyaana dubukku movie but it sparked off a 1000 imitations at the end of which people started calling the whole genre as trash.

TT is definitely not a step forward for tamil movies.
Mavane, idhu dhaanda naan solla vara point-nu namma thalai mela aani adithu hammer panni sollugiraar Cheran. THat is hardly great cinema.

vijayr
17th January 2006, 09:30 PM
I am hoping TT wont get imitated a lot or spawn off a lot of movies. Autograph didnt. The reason is, the content and the style of presentation. Gimmicky commercial movies that succeed are the ones that are bound to get imitated. For example, Kaadhal KOttai(which was anything but realistic) had them not seeing each other until the end as the gimmick. So the next imitations/variations included hero seeing the heroine but not vice-versa, heroine knowing the hero but not vice-versa and so on..:-) Or Run-Jeyam-Ghilli etc. that all prided on their fast screenplays where all the hero did was drag his girl and run throughout the movie with songs and fights peppered in between. I dont think Cheran's movies lend themselves to such imitations. That doesnt of course mean his movies are great or anything. Its just that I feel only he can continue making movies in the same slow down-to-earth style that he does. Kind of how Vikraman was the guy who used to make those joint-family feel good movies all the time where every character was noble and could do no wrong. No one bothered to imitate him, thankfully. Hoping that would be the case with Cheran as well. I am not averse to Cheran, but at the same time I dont go gaga over his films as well. When compared to other directors from similar roots like say THangar Bachan who fizzled after a solitary hit, Cheran has definitely done better, thats about it.

Dragun
18th January 2006, 01:55 PM
Cheran needs to work with IR again instead of S-M, or Bharadwaj.

rajdes
18th January 2006, 05:39 PM
vijayr, you said it when you said:
" am not averse to Cheran, but at the same time I dont go gaga over his films as well."
Isnt that the very definition of mediocrity? In the middle. Neither here nor there.Couldnt agree more with you.
However, the difference between a sivakasi and this is that while sivakasi is identified and ignored as a masala, it is quite a popular exercise to exalt the likes of Autograph and TT - just because it is not the usual masala.

The tearjerkers of Bhimsingh(these movies by themselves were clever products and entertaining too in many cases) slowly deteriorated to KSG flicks and then to AVM Rajan flicks of 70's - the whole process slowly dragged TFM into a minefield of mediocrity before a whiff of fresh air was ushered in by Mahendran et al.

The problem with TT is not that it is bad by itself. It isnt bad but it leads us back to the Bhim Bhai->KSG->AVM Rajan path of terrible melodrama(before anyone shouts askance at the grouping of Bhim Bhai and AVM Rajan together, please read that(as it should be) as decreasing levels of quality). As you said, we can only hope that the kodambakkam money-bags arent stupid enough to believe that this is a new route to make money (why not, low cost film making , high returns) and also earn some good name in the process. Else, this might lead to poorer imitations just like Vikraman's inoffensive but mediocre Vanathai Pole led to Anandam and then to Samudram.

The other frustrating aspect about the success of TT is now we have to tolerate
1) More films with Cheran as hero - face it , he is no sivaji, or Kamal or even Raj Kiran
2) Films with Raj Kiran as the conventional hero- you know how a moneybag thinks - okay, Raj Kiran in central role succeeded so maybe I should cash in on the wave - goes to Raj Kiran , who gets his Ellame EN Raasa dhaan days delusion of being a mass hero back again and we are inundated with more Manikkams and PArambarais- dont you see this scenario coming? I wouldnt be surprised it this happens soon.
3) Sentiment films(Appa Sentiment, Amma sentiment,. machan sentiment etc) but in the hands of lesser directors than cheran - result, a less realistic more melodramatic TT - days are not far off when you are going to see one after another such movie.

vijayr
18th January 2006, 09:52 PM
"However, the difference between a sivakasi and this is that while sivakasi is identified and ignored as a masala, it is quite a popular exercise to exalt the likes of Autograph and TT - just because it is not the usual masala. "

thats being done mostly by magazines like Kumudam, AV etc. I am guessing they have a bunch of laymen or "kezha baads" with outdated cinematic sensibilities who do the reviewing. Needless to say, I dont read their reviews.

Some of your points seem to be similar to what balaji(bb) wrote about Thavamai in his blog. I agree with them though.

True, Cheran as hero is a little frightening. The guy keeps saying that he isnt an actor but yet has signed up as a hero in someone else's film. We'll have to see if the film is strong enough to overcome his acting limitations. I hope the other 2 scenarios dont happen. Raj Kiran as a character actor/villian is acceptable but not as a hero, certainly. Sentiment films-they have been anyways there for a long time thanks to inept directors like P.Vasu, that I am not freshly worried. The lower 80% has always been mediocre as far as Tamil films are concerned. Only the nature of mediocrity keeps changing. We need to see if the top 20% have anything fresh to offer. There are a few young directors out there with ideas/styles of their own and those are whom I am looking forward to.

app_engine
19th January 2006, 12:52 AM
Strongest points of this movie - Raj Kiran, Saranya, elder son , his wife & Padmapriya...(Cheran is excluded here...a so-so actor, artificial most of the time IMHO) ...authenticity of places, people, culture, lifestyle, details and even sambavangaL...importance to menmaiyAna uNarchigaL, admirable theme (i.e. appreciate thy parents' efforts & sacrifices).

Weak points - Music...length...unnecessary melodrama scenes in Chennai (appA pughazh pAdumpOthu `OdippOnavargaL' kadhai neeLam vetti irukkaNum)...and some glaring errors in figures like
1. Needing Rs 5000 to join two boys in a Sivagangai school in 70's.
2. Rs 350 for a boy's clothing (the shop keeper says this price when Raj Kiran tries to buy for Diwali), especially for the time period and the place
3. 5K for a mill store keeper job in 80's (or even early 90's).
...if such glaring errors are removed, konjam kooda realisticA irukkum...(may be Chennai audience cannot spot these, neither will today's youngsters who make 20K in call centers each month...but pAttikkAttAns in their late 30's / early 40's can easily spot many such holes)...

inetk
19th January 2006, 09:46 AM
I personally did not enjoy TT or for that matter Autograph. Goes completely in one wailing track. But, if these are considered mediocre, then there should be some definition of a good movie, right? But, there isnt!

Which movie would you call good...'good' is a sweeping term and could probably not cover many things! Is Kakka Kakka a good movie? May be, for some. It was interesting in terms of its narration and screenplay. But its merely a manifestation of the Maniratnam school of minimalistic thinking. It does look good on screen, yes.

Is Gilli a good movie? May be, again for some. It was fast paced with no time to blink/ think. Some minimal intelligence was attributed to the hero unlike many films. Made good viewing.

What else? Anniyan? Ghajini? Every movie's 'good' part is highly subjective. Cheran is a wierd 'actor' in present times, I agree. But he dared to tread a different path. Thats the key here.

Tamil cinema was hopelessly stuck in what people like Dharani and Maharajan (Vallarasu) had initiated, even though that idea had been explored in the past. They chose to portray the hero as far more intelligent than the villain and let the villain lose in many points in the story - unlike the all powerful villains of yore, who lost only in the climax to older-day's heores. This change of power equation is what these guys pioneered thats stuck till Sivakasi and Paramasivan and continues. Lingusamy joined the bandwagon too in between.

But its all the same. A simple, extended cat and mouse game where the hero comes up trumps 3 out of 5 times, while villain has to be happy with 2. Lingusamy went to the extent of making his villain look like a clown in Run (Atul Kulkarni merely frets and fumes, absolute lack of strategy all through!).

In this scenario of stereotypes, the only way one can garner attention is to break the rut. And if that means reinventing the wheel, so be it.

And isnt that what Cheran has done?

thumburu
19th January 2006, 05:57 PM
Cheran or TB don't bother me as much as these super hyped directors like Shankar or Murugadoss or Gautam Menon who deliver all fizz with empty content.Atleast I know what to expect of a Cheran or TB. But these so called new age wizards just ape mediocre hollywood flicks in the name of being slick and disappoint us big time.Anniyan hero defies space nd time .LOL!!! Idhukku vittalacharya padam paravaillai. The climax of Kaaka Kaaka undid everything about the smart police force which they were trying to portray very hard[ kadaisile boiled down to ondikku ondi sandai]. What about Gajini ? The globe trotting business tycoon is shown again during climax in a bloody brawl to bash up the baddies. Infact these fakes are no better than sivakasi or thirupachi

Music4Ever
20th January 2006, 12:28 AM
I had the opportunity to watch Kaaka Kaaka only recently and had great expectations. It is a real dud in the second half though. The songs are very nicely composed, however. HJ deserves full marks.

rajdes
20th January 2006, 10:29 AM
thumburu, ghajni, anniyan et al dont deserve even discussion - in any case, tamil films need a good "alternate" movie maker - if Cheran and TB are our "alternate" film-makers, then there is hardly any scope for great cinema(as opposed to good) in tamil. Problem is masala movies will always be there. So, we cant wish the shankars and Murugadosses away. Problem is if we raise Cherans and TB's to undeservedly great heights just because they arent Shankar and murugadoss, then, we are lowering our bar for alternate meaningful cinema.

Like I said, when it comes to cheran, full marks for effort but only just pass for result. The intention is there but he is only proving to be an improved version of Vikraman.Thats not enough. Thats only enough for a discerning critic to call him a "good" director - and that, my friend, is not enough. With our resources, we need a bigger body of work that would compare to Mullum Malarum, 16 Vayadhinilae etc.

jaiganes
20th January 2006, 12:55 PM
Good Heavens!!
All cheran bashers having a field day in this thread I guess.
I was once a cheran basher too. I am not a convert to Cheran fan or something. True cheran has some limitations, however his efforts are genuine and he is effective in atleast translating his thoughts onto the screen with minimal compromise. It is his sincerity and commitment to the craft that has made him successful. In this regard I would rate him several rungs higher than a Mani Ratnam, who even now is like a rich spoilt kid trying out one video game after another for amusement(read the parallel, one cinematic technique after another). Purposefulness lends that much authenticity to the craft. Cheran's craft is driven by purpose while some awesomely blessed and talented directors like ManiRatnam are wading in shallow waters, shunning deep introspection in cinema. Probably because they are too scared to see what they might find...!!! As far as musical choice to score Thavamai Thavamirundhu, only reason I could deduct(speculation..) for the choice of Sabesh Murali is that they dont' bring in any expectations and therefore no baggage either(of either being a hip hop whiz kid or as a symphony composer) and therefore being easier to work with(no need to work in unearthly hours in the night or waiting in the reception while music is being scored).

thumburu
20th January 2006, 03:45 PM
Cheran and TB remind me of "alai illaa oorukku ... " saying. Good "alternate" movie maker ? "athaikku meesai muLaichaa " kadhai thaan. Not when Chandramukhi is touted as the best thing to have happened to filmdom , not when good movies like "kanavu mei pada vendum", "mumbai express", that movie on an eunuch which had Kushboo(forgot its name) bite the dust and go unrecognized, unrewarded, unsung.

Nerd
21st January 2006, 07:06 AM
Well oh well.. If you call MX a specatularly etched movie which went unnoticed and say that TT is mediocre, I wonder whats your taste.. :shock: Even many KH fans will agree on this. There are other brilliant KH movies which were noticed/unnoticed (DM/HR)

Even navarasa (that eunuch movie) wasnt that good, with a contrived climax. His terrorist was far better (I believe terrorist was by santosh sivan as well :roll:)

muLLum malarum, 16 vayathinilE are sure great movies with a touch of reality and IMO TT isnt way behind.. If you call MM et all a complete movie then TT can be called as a 75% complete movie..

scale, I think you are born and brought up in chennai and thats why you are advising that dad (Rajkiran) to slap his son when he asked that thing. I know a lot of dads who are like Rajkiran. My best friend's dad has done so much to him in life, sacrificing everything, spending like crazy for his studies and all. The thing is he never knew that his dad was under so much debt (mostly coz of him) until his bro told him once few years back. That day he cried like anything and I dint have words to console him. Now he is in a very good postion, thats a different story.

I dint find anything artificial in all the RK scenes... The cheran scenes after the interval were boring and sick. Thats the only drawback of that otherwise flawless movie. If they had cut that, the movie could have become shorter as well.

sure, IR would have done a better job that any other MD. But S-M werent bad either. I loved that unnai saraNadainthEn song a lot. BGM was OK in many places if not heart-moving, one place where IR would have hit a double century :)

Happened to watch that in satyam cinemas, chennai. After the movie ended when the credits started rolling, there was applause from almost all the viewers and am not exaggerating!!

Alien
21st January 2006, 11:34 AM
For heaven's sake Cheran should never b cast as an actor !
S-M should b kicked into hell :evil:

I agree, with better music it could probably have been a complete film like Azhagi or Barathi Kannamma or Sethu................

dinesh2002
21st January 2006, 07:04 PM
oh come on...the songs arent that bad....the bgm was fitted well i guess...never watched the movie yet,but what i saw from the thirai vimarsanam,it looks quite ok... 2 amazing scores.... 1 Unnai charanadainthen & Theme music....notice both sounds very very ARRish...

yvsmani
21st January 2006, 08:35 PM
kalki magazine (25/12/2005)il rajkiran pettiyil avar Herovagha aduththa padam nadikka poavathaghavum, IR music endrum kuriyullaar.

yvsmani
21st January 2006, 08:36 PM
amuthae endru oru padam vanthathae........ it also got some rare reviews