PDA

View Full Version : Zubin Mehta doesn't know IR and Rahman !!??

raja_fan
27th December 2005, 10:02 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/27/stories/2005122707082000.htm

When a journalist asked him if he had heard of the works of A.R. Rahman and Ilaiyaraja, he shook his head cluelesslysaying, "I really don't know them."

raja_fan
27th December 2005, 10:05 AM
But I have earlier come across some comments of Zubin on IR's "How to name it". Is it fake..???

buddysathi
27th December 2005, 10:27 AM
Enakku kooda thaan Zubin Mehta yaarunu theriyathu?!?:-(

njv
27th December 2005, 11:10 AM
Me too.

Sanjeevi
27th December 2005, 12:11 PM
Me too.

Yaar athu? :?

raja_fan
27th December 2005, 12:35 PM
For guys who really don't know who is Zubin,

Zubin is a very famous western classical music director, conductor, expert etc who is respected world wide. He is basically an NRI with origins in Mumbai. He has to his credit of leading and conducting world famous symphony orchestras like New York Symphony orchestra, Israel philharmonic orchestra etc..

Shankar
27th December 2005, 02:27 PM
raja_fan,
you probably didn't realize the sarcasm there (or am i mistaken :-( )...I'm sure most of the guys wud know zubin.

raja_fan
27th December 2005, 04:12 PM
Shankar,

Please note my first line "For guys who REALLY don't know who is Zubin" :)

music man
29th December 2005, 10:56 PM
I am not able to believe that he doesnt know IR as IR was the first Indian to compose a symphony.. IR is well known in Germany.For that matter ARR is even more famous with his collaborations with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and LOTR project... Truly unbelievable... He must be suppressing the facts

raja_fan
30th December 2005, 10:44 AM
music man,

"IR was the first Indian to compose a symphony"

Correction : IR was the first Indian to compose a symphony for RPH, London.

I dont think Zubin is such a silly person to suppress the facts. But it is still very surprising ! may be he is so engrossed with his own busy music works or world ??

music man
30th December 2005, 12:38 PM
Thanx for the correction

thumburu
31st December 2005, 05:01 PM
It is surprising to expect a world class musician like Zubin to be familiar with film songs of ARR or IR

njv
31st December 2005, 09:52 PM
I honestly didnt know Zubin to begin with. Forget about world class?

What did he do so far anyways? Any links?

nilavupriyan
31st December 2005, 10:04 PM
zublin must have known ilayaraja and arr.....

njv
1st January 2006, 03:32 AM
i wonder what would happen if ir said he dont know Zubin. IR's "critic" fans would have ripped of IR. idhu entha ulagamada saami.

netfriend4u2005
2nd January 2006, 01:25 PM
Velinatula poi kuppai perukiravan kitta kuppai koturavan kittla elam yaru IR and ARR endru ketta enna teriyum avanuku.. polachi pogatum .. Zuzubi

Shankar
2nd January 2006, 02:44 PM
I fail to understand this....what if zubin doesn't know Raja or vice versa ?? Many of us know Raja and Zubin are great in their respective fields...when one claims he doesn't know the other, we go and talk bad about the other guy, not even knowing who he is !!

Zubin is one of the greatest conductors around, and we should be proud of such ppl than the media-hyped-well-connected-composers who don't deserve half the attention they get.

umaramesh
4th January 2006, 11:35 AM
How many of them know L.Subramaniam? We can appreciate that IR&AR did symphony in foreign soil, that does not mean they are have achieved everything in music and should known to everyone in the world. I think we should be proud of our music .

regards
ramesh

cry_sandiego
4th January 2006, 03:01 PM
Incidentally Many people believe Zubin Mehta to be a composer.. He is primarily a conductor and not a composer like IR and ARR. He conducts popular works of western composers around the world. He has been with the Los Angeles , Bavarian and Israel Orchestras. Well respected around the symphony orchestraz around the world. Was in Chennai recently to conduct the bavarian orchestra for Tsunami Relief.

Many years back when IR composed for RPH, Writer Sujatha tried ( or atleast it appeared to be ) to downplay IR's achievement while answering a reader question ( in Kumudam or Vikatan not sure ) that IR was not the first to compose a symphony and that people like Zubin have done it earlier. In a later edition of the same magazine, when a reader pointed out the difference between a composer and a conductor, he stood corrected and wrote a correction. Incidentally i was reading the latest edition of Vikatan, you can see the traces of the same in his "Katrathum petrathum " column where he comments about Karnatic music in Tamil cinema songs.

Cheers
MSK

app_engine
4th January 2006, 08:18 PM
Digression:

MSK, I'm glad to find another person discerning the dilly-dallying style of Sujatha. No doubt, he is among the greats as a writer (both stories and articles, I love his writing style...he used to be my fav writer for many years, esp. during my youth). From the blogs of Srikanth D, I think he is a nice and humble person to move with too.

However, I cannot agree with his opinions / ever-changing stands on certain areas...(not just about IR's music)...one example is about the existence of God and another is his speculations towards evolution as a proven fact...IMHO, it was during his tenure as the editor of Kumudam that IR got maligned a lot by that mag and ARR got hyped up beyond his achievements till then...Further, Kumudam lost out to Vikatan totally after SAP's demise as both Sujatha & Malan proved to be incompetent for that role...now Jawahar is simply copying Vikatan to maintain some circulation for Kumudam, but there's no longer the glory of SAP days when it led by miles - both in circulation & innovation...

End-digression