PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat ?

Pages : [1] 2

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 07:21 PM
This is my favourite topic :mrgreen: (anything about food would be my favourite topic)

The purpose of the thread is say your favourite places to eat. It can be a restaurant, kai endhu bhavan, fast food, even somebody who sells home prepared food any place you recommend for good food (except for food cooked by mom, its common for everyone, so lets exclude that). Also any recommendations for the best dish in that place also appreciated :P.

No restriction on geographical location (if there's a place in Antarctica that too is welcome ;) ) or type of cuisine

great
3rd May 2006, 07:24 PM
wow NN, My favourite theread !!!

will come out with restaurant(good) in chennai :D

thamizhvaanan
3rd May 2006, 07:43 PM
pandiyan mess!!! :D account vekkarathukku best place :D

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 07:48 PM
Let me start of with a list I've liked over the years:

Brilliant Tutorials kai endhu bhavan, Chennai - I heard nowadays its become too popular that vehicles block the entire 4 lane intersection near it.

Bell Hotel, Sivakasi - Been there quite a few times. That was one of the good places for chilli barota ;)

Hotel Mayuri, Southwest Houston - their lunch buffet is really good. Though a bit expensive, defenitely worth it.

Tamarind, Pittsburgh - Another really good place to get South Indian food. Their 'bisibelabaath' was too good. Again relatively expensive compared to others in the city.

Udupi Cafe Columbus, OH - Another good place to get South Indian. No specific recommendations.

Vatica, Marietta, GA - pretty low profile one. they just have thali both in dinner and lunch sessions. Even though there isnt much variety, absolutely no baking soda added. pretty much home cooked food :).

Madras Pavillion, Dallas, TX - Another place for good South Indian food. Just been in the evenings. their dosa was real good.

Minerva Herndon, VA - Branch of the Fairfax Minerva. Relatively less crowded compared to the Fairfax one. Everything except for their mango lassi (which was readymade) was good. One of the good places to eat in the DC area.

Highly avoidable ones:

India Garden, Pittsburgh
New Delhi, Philly downtown

Madras Saravana Bhavan Atlanta, GA - one of the places to avoid when it is crowded. It has earned a good name in the area, somehow I found them pretty rude. Quality kind of varied. Their Rava masal dosa with all that chilli podi+masal was really good.

Will add more as I remember them :D

great
3rd May 2006, 07:52 PM
correction

thats

Brilliant tutorial podi dosai kadai ... taste is really good

mgb
3rd May 2006, 07:55 PM
Amma mess and Chandiran mess in Goripalayam, Madurai (not sure they are still running). i like every dish served there.

Chilli andra in MG Road, Ernakulam.

Shakthiprabha.
I dont knwo any place other than bangalore

All the restaurants are in bangalore

Tandoor
Grameen
MTR
La casa
Rice bowl
mainland china
Krishna cafe
kadambam
bayleaf
taj
all slv restaurants

ssanjinika
Theres a Madras Pavillion in Houston also which is quite good.
The Udupi near Philly on route 1 is really really good.Never had bad food there.Saravana cafe in SFO is great dosa place.
Dosa House on Oak tree road,Edison NJ is a great place to have different kinds of dosas.
Can I post some other cusine restaurants too?

Thirumaran
3rd May 2006, 07:58 PM
Hotel Taj. :D

great
3rd May 2006, 07:59 PM

thanks thats the place you are gonna give treat :notworthy:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd May 2006, 08:00 PM
:rotfl:

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 08:03 PM
Theres a Madras Pavillion in Houston also which is quite good.

They're run by the same management. Would'nt make a difference (I guess!)

SS,
any cuisine is fine. nothing restricted to Indian alone (shud update the first post too).

Dosa House on Oak tree road,Edison NJ

Isnt that Dosa Express ?
~~~~~
Remember eating in a place called Leaves in BLR many years back. ilai pottu sapadu :P. semma meter kadai aana ;). was 100 bucks for a person in 2000/2001 :|

Thirumaran
3rd May 2006, 08:04 PM

thanks thats the place you are gonna give treat :notworthy:

Sorry. full sentence marathutaen..
Read it as..
Tea stall opposite to Hotel Taj
:rotfl:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd May 2006, 08:04 PM
wow just 100 per person kewllllllllll :roll:

thats supp to be cheap

'ramakrishna lunch home' also hosts such 100 per leaf food

ssanjinika
3rd May 2006, 08:05 PM
Chennaila ennakku pidicha edangal..

Adyar Woodlands - I like this place better dunno why :roll:

Shakes and Creame - lots of chilhood memories associated with this place :P

Love Love Eden in Besant Nagar.Great place to eat a different cuisine.

Karaikudi Chettinad - Nalla karama chettinadu samayal.

I like the buffet in GRT Grand Days.

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 08:07 PM
SP,
naan solradhu 6 varusham munnadi when saptuware market was izhuthu pothikittu thoongifying. inneram 500 aagirukkum :o

njv
3rd May 2006, 08:08 PM
In NJ

Dosa Grill - SI, V
Tanjore Kitchen - SI, V
Rasoi - NI, NV, V
Swagat - SI, V

In NY

Pongal - SI, V
SalaamBombay - NI, NV, V

In TN
Any kaiyendi bhavan

dsath
3rd May 2006, 08:11 PM
Annapoorna in Coimbatore. Excellent food since i can remember.
Southern Spice in Hyderabad. Very hot but excellent food (that was 5 yrs ago).

Shakthiprabha.
3rd May 2006, 08:13 PM
dsath,

Ive heard of annapoorna in cbe :)

Many cbe ppl have said the same

great
3rd May 2006, 08:15 PM
If you really looking for good, foods irrespective of the ambience there are few place in chennai where you be getting Gujarathi and Punjabi foods. In this place ambiance will not be great but the taste is really awesome !!!

There is one place called Delhi Chat Near thirvanmayar beach , Its very economical and taste is really awesome

and regarding the Gujarathi food , its near saravana bhavan hotel in parrys corner :thumbsup:

I will comeout with hotels with good ambiance bit later

dsath
3rd May 2006, 08:17 PM
Happy to know that Annapoorna is a very popular. Its a great place, simple clean veg food at very nominal prices.
Could add AnnaLakshmi also in the list.

villan007
3rd May 2006, 08:17 PM
Annapoorna was good... :( .... :cry:

mgb
3rd May 2006, 08:19 PM
Happy to know that Annapoorna is a very popular. Its a great place, simple clean veg food at very nominal prices.
any day annalakshmi is better than annapoorna

Shakthiprabha.
3rd May 2006, 08:21 PM
i forgot to add

QUEENS

and

AMARAVATHY

(nobody to spot any bangalore hotels which i mentioned :shock:)

ssanjinika
3rd May 2006, 08:22 PM
yea narayana,it is Dosa Express not Dosa house.Am pretty sure its not Dosa Grill njv mentioned.
Pongal in NY had great food,but we didnt have good exp with the waiters out there.
Swagat is also great.
I loved the TEXMEX/MEXICAN food in Don Pablos in Houston.
Theres this Thai place called Jaya in NYC which is just awesome.Amazing food but slightly expensive.
Theres this place called Sunshine in Edison NJ which has amazing chat.Its really good and very inexpensive.They also have good NI dishes both Veg and NVeg.Its more like "indha ooru" kaiendhi bhavan though.

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 08:22 PM
great,
dont worry about ambience, as long as the food is great list them.

great
3rd May 2006, 08:23 PM
great,
dont worry about ambience, as long as the food is great list them.

company pay pannum pothu ambience check pannuvom

naanga pogum taste thaan priority :thumbsup:

dsath
3rd May 2006, 08:24 PM
The whole package of Annalakshmi is good. Their service to community is really laudable. My parent's home is close to Annalakshmi and i used to frequent the place when i was there. Lovely food, with a genuine smile on the face. Hard to beat.

terminator
3rd May 2006, 08:24 PM
Velur (Namakkal)

Velur Tiffin Center
Abirami Mess

Thirumaran
3rd May 2006, 08:25 PM
enna Vaenumnaa sollunga
Saravana bavan is the best.. :thumbsup:

chennaila naan antha hotel la mattum thaan saaptirukaen :mrgreen: [/i]

villan007
3rd May 2006, 08:25 PM
Hotel Navayuga is good in b'lore :thumbsup:

terminator
3rd May 2006, 08:26 PM
Twice I have eaten in a Mess at the first floor near CBE Bustand.. dont remember the name.. it was good.. villa help me..

Shakthiprabha.
3rd May 2006, 08:27 PM
villain,

navayuga enga irukku

njv
3rd May 2006, 08:27 PM
any day annalakshmi is better than annapoorna

annapoorna is for mass. its not a classic restaurant. its more like a typical "hotel". annalakshmi is little bit high class. i have heard that in annalakshmi all the ppl who work there are volunteers. not sure how true it is.

Southern Spice in Hyderabad - Where is it? I will try.

Mumbai - Status (Nariman point), Great Punjabi (bandra), saffron spice (powai), Nawab Saheb (powai - very expensive but you will taste things you havent tasteed before)

thamizhvaanan
3rd May 2006, 08:28 PM
njv, neenga neraiya oor suthiyiruppenga polirukku :P ella oorlaiyun hotel paer solreenga ?

villan007
3rd May 2006, 08:28 PM
Twice I have eaten in a Mess at the first floor near CBE Bustand.. dont remember the name.. it was good.. villa help me..

:roll: subbu mess-ah :huh:... :roll:

villan007
3rd May 2006, 08:29 PM
villain,

navayuga enga irukku

commercial :roll:

great
3rd May 2006, 08:29 PM
In mumbai

Matunga -- sugbogh really awesome food at offordable rate

Vile parle : Ramakrishna hotel near railway station

Shug saagar : vileparle really good one

terminator
3rd May 2006, 08:30 PM
nope.. i cant remember the name, it was opp. to Gandhipuram bus stand, frist floorla irukkum..

njv
njv, neenga neraiya oor suthiyiruppenga polirukku :P ella oorlaiyun hotel paer solreenga ?

naadodi mannan sir - business trip to mumbai, hyd, chennai, bglr, boston, sfo, chicago - eat in places and swipe amex.

Thirumaran
Mumbai - Status (Nariman point), Great Punjabi (bandra), saffron spice (powai), Nawab Saheb (powai - very expensive but you will taste things you havent tasteed before)

Yes. njv.

There are many restaurant in Mumbai where u get different dishes.
Any kind of food we get in Mumbai..

Shakthiprabha.
commercials remind me of

WOODIES

kannannn
3rd May 2006, 08:31 PM
I dont knwo any place other than bangalore

All the restaurants are in bangalore

Tandoor
Grameen
MTR
La casa
Rice bowl
mainland china
Krishna cafe
kadambam
bayleaf
taj
all slv restaurants
I haven't been to Mainland China after they moved out of the basement on Queen's road. MTR and Kadambam are good anyday.

Adding some more:
Casa Picola - Cunningham Road
Ebony - MG Road
Nandini - Sankey Tank
Koshy's - off MG Road (Best place for Kerala food)
Gopika - Malleswaram

But the best IMO is a small shop oppposite Ramiah College that serves south-indian Parotta with spicy non-veg curry.

In the worst case, enter any place with name that ends with 'sagar' and you can be assured of a decent meal in Bangalore.

villan007
3rd May 2006, 08:32 PM
commercials remind me of

WOODIES

Navayuga is a very good place for Non-veg lovers :tongueout:

thamizhvaanan
3rd May 2006, 08:33 PM

naadodi mannan sir - business trip to mumbai, hyd, chennai, bglr, boston, sfo, chicago - eat in places and swipe amex.

ungalla ellam paartha poramaiya irukku. modalla college mudichittu oor oora poi velai paakanum.

i dunno any hotel's name outside chennai :(

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 08:34 PM
SS,
I've just been once around the NJ area.

Gokul on Oaktree - their dinner buffet was really good. not extraordinary, but they had variety for the amount paid
~~~~~~
Among the fastfood types:

Quiznos is the best. Their veggie sandwich on rosemary bread and brocolli cheese soup (even though I hate brocolli) is highly recommended.

Moe's grill for Mexican style fastfood. Dont try Qdoba, not so good :?. Chipotle is alright.

Eat 'n Park- not much for veggie, their choc shake is too good. adhukku mattume nariya visit adichirukken ;)

villan007
Hotel Alankar Grande in cbe... 8-) ...... :notworthy:

dsath
[quote="njv"]
Southern Spice in Hyderabad - Where is it? I will try.
quote]
Its in Banjara Hills. Don't know the exact location though, its been long time since i have been to Hyd.

Regarding Annalakshmi, its true about what you have heard. All the people who serve food are volunteers and its more of a charity organisation.
It started of as a posh place, but is more down to earth these days.

Shakthiprabha.
kaNNan,

I aint fond of sagar hotels. nv sapdarathu illai. (villain :P )

also....

have u visited HALLIMANE? same say its good. some say otherwise.

terminator
3rd May 2006, 08:35 PM

ungalla ellam paartha poramaiya irukku. modalla college mudichittu oor oora poi velai paakanum.

naanum thaan.. cbe, chennai, bglre poirukkean... pasichutha oru hotel poonthu saapida vendiyathu thaan... paer ellam nyabagam illai :lol:

narayanan
3rd May 2006, 08:36 PM
i dunno any hotel's name outside chennai

but during your stay in Anna, you would explore every imaginable place to eat around Chennai (if you have the right company).

vj_itv
3rd May 2006, 08:39 PM

enakku kooda Tamizh :(

chennai'la kooda theriyathu enakku :wink:

dsath
3rd May 2006, 08:41 PM
Thalapakati Briyani Kadai in Dindugal. Amazing Briyani and Paaya.

villan007
3rd May 2006, 08:44 PM

Was abt to post this... :D

dsath
3rd May 2006, 08:44 PM

Even i didn't know any resturant outside cbe till 21. U can enjoy the outside exposure even better (esp when you are earning yourself......atleast you will not feel bad for spending too much of your parents money).

kannannn
3rd May 2006, 09:10 PM
kaNNan,

I aint fond of sagar hotels. nv sapdarathu illai. (villain :P )

also....

have u visited HALLIMANE? same say its good. some say otherwise.

SP, the best thing about Sagar is that you can find them even in the god-forsaken corners of Bangalore. As for NV, it depends on the place I am in. NV in Bangalore, V in Chennai :) But Bangalore is a diner's paradise, whichever category you belong to.

Hallimane used to be good when they started. But it is crowded and the service is too poor now-a-days, not to speak of the quality.

njv
3rd May 2006, 09:36 PM

Ellaam thaana nadakkum. Once sutha aaramicheengana veruthu poyidum. veleela saapta ageeranam, malachchikkal, vaai pun matrum ithara vyathigal kooda varum. etho company punniyathula 5*4* hotella thundraen, so paravaayilla, illatee aaputhaan.

Shakthiprabha.
3rd May 2006, 09:51 PM
kewl kannan thanks. thats what i heard bout hallimanE too :)

ajithfederer
3rd May 2006, 09:52 PM
:notworthy:

villan007
3rd May 2006, 09:58 PM
:notworthy:

Alankar chicken :tongueout:

dsath
4th May 2006, 12:30 AM

Was abt to post this... :D

There is also another Briyani house in Dindugal which also has good briyani, but can't remember the name though.

azhagi
4th May 2006, 03:52 AM
Chennai-Ponnusamy opp. Ethiraj College,Milky way also same place,don't know if it still exists.
Nair's Mess-Triplicane,wow! too good!!!
Woodlands drive in-Cathedral Road
Sangeetha Fast food-R.A Puram
Saravan Bhavan-anywhere
Mansukh -T.Nagar

Bay Area-Saravana Bhavan
NY-Bhukara
Sacramento-Kaveri ,Samosa Garden
Dubai-Kamath
Singapore-Annalakshmi

thamizhvaanan
4th May 2006, 07:35 AM
i dunno any hotel's name outside chennai

but during your stay in Anna, you would explore every imaginable place to eat around Chennai (if you have the right company).

:rotfl: :rotfl: true true, quite true :lol:

Raikkonen
4th May 2006, 10:23 AM
San Francisco Steak House...

a.ratchasi
4th May 2006, 12:56 PM
Secret Recipe
Besides the cheese cakes, the walnut brownies are to die for (dine in)

TGIF
Mushroom soup
Mocha Mudpiece oh la ala

Sheesh Mahal, Subang
The buffet spread is cheap and yummy

D'Tandoor, Subang
Chicken briyani + the mushroom gravy + oh well, everything is simply delicious

Nandos

Lambretta
4th May 2006, 03:02 PM
Chennai-Ponnusamy opp. Ethiraj College,Milky way also same place,don't know if it still exists.
Nair's Mess-Triplicane,wow! too good!!!
Sangeetha Fast food-R.A Puram
Saravan Bhavan-anywhere
Mansukh -T.Nagar
Woodlands @ Radhakrishnan Salai also is good.....we used to eat mostly ther wen visiting Madras (unless we stayed @ sum relative's)....

Singapore-Annalakshmi
Annalakshmi is good but quite expensive....:)
Suitable for occasions/group lunches/dinners....I'd been ther only twice tho...:)

dsath
4th May 2006, 03:13 PM
Good place to eat. The Briyani and fish fry are really good and milky way ice cream to finish off. Brings back good old memories.

crazy
4th May 2006, 03:38 PM
try
norwegian kebab shop, i ate only falafel there, but u can eat kebab, if u wish!

azhagi
4th May 2006, 09:28 PM

Woodlands @ Radhakrishnan Salai also is good.....we used to eat mostly ther wen visiting Madras (unless we stayed @ sum relative's)....

Lamby,That's the same one...Radhakrishnan Salai is Cathedral Road like Anna Salai is Mount Road :)

Dsath---true-Ponnusamy is too good--I used to go there with friends when I was working in Mount Road. :wink: That place is always crowded because of the excellent food.

Also,one small shop in Parry's Corner.excellent for chat...behind St.Columban's school.

Red E food Court-Nungambakkam

Buffet Menu in Ambassador Pallava-wide variety at a good price.

Malgudi restaurant in Savera hotel
Also,Karaikudi-Cathedral road
There is a Hotel which serves good Keralite food at the junction of TTK Road and Radhakrishnan Salai,forgot the name

Also,Kabul on TTK Road

Lambretta
4th May 2006, 09:40 PM
Lamby,That's the same one...Radhakrishnan Salai is Cathedral Road like Anna Salai is Mount Road :)
:oops: Oops....tks for the correction! My geographical memory of tat area seems to be fading....long time since I visited ther neways (we usually stay @ relatives' wen we visit Madras now :))

Malgudi restaurant in Savera hotel
Hmm..tats interesting! :D 'dont rem. hearing of tat place.....was it named so after RK Narayan's novel Malgudi Days? :D

svasu_ani
4th May 2006, 10:59 PM

There are 2 woodlands one is the woodlands drive in..near the gemini flyover and the other one woodlands in Radhakrishnan Salai near the music academy. Drive in woodlands food isnt that good but place is with full trees and nice envt. the green canopy is well maintained n this place is breath of fresh air.

Anitha

great
4th May 2006, 11:26 PM
one near Gemini is horrible :banghead:

P_R
5th May 2006, 12:06 AM
one near Gemini is horrible :banghead:

What are you talking :shock:

It is the other woodlands that is a drab affair. This one is a very nice hangout. Low profile drive-in. Just find a cool enough parking spot and you are left to yourself till the waiter gets u the sambar vadai. My friends and I used to frequent the place when in college.

phil
5th May 2006, 12:08 AM
why is it horrible? If it is horible what would you prefer, with the cost around less than 20$ 1000 Rs per meal per person

narayanan
5th May 2006, 12:20 AM
1000Rs per meal :roll: :o

Ghlli
5th May 2006, 01:08 AM
Chineese and Italian restaurents are de best :D

then pizza hut :D

Burger King

McDonalds

KFC

Starbucks

svasu_ani
5th May 2006, 02:14 AM
Hotel Maduri ,airport rd, Blore and also tiffanys lunch buffet was good.

anitha

great
5th May 2006, 08:09 AM
why is it horrible? If it is horible what would you prefer, with the cost around less than 20$ 1000 Rs per meal per person

are u from chennai . If so i can suggest better complaces compared to this one at better prices :idea:

dsath
5th May 2006, 03:13 PM
Nandos. The grilled chicken is simply addictive. The veg option of Pitta bread is also good. The sauces are the best. Good place for a family eat-out.

crazy
5th May 2006, 03:16 PM
enakku nilavila poi saapidha aasai

aana anga enna saapidhradhu??

dsath
5th May 2006, 03:19 PM
Looks like you are a die hard romantic........... :D

narayanan
5th May 2006, 03:21 PM

nila soru :roll:

crazy
5th May 2006, 03:29 PM

nila soru :roll:

yaar udividhuvaa?

Looks like you are a die hard romantic...........

appadi ellam illa! ulagathila ellam bore'a irukku, ithulla vera enga thirumbinaalum pirachana, adhuthaan namma nilakku polaamnu thonichu :wink:

rami
5th May 2006, 03:29 PM
My fav places to eat in Chennai:

1. Vasantha Bhavan Tambaram A/C Hall - There is a corner seat there ... Its a nostalgia of college days.. Each of us put all the money they have in a single purse.. Then we count it and then order according to the total amt..

2. Aishwarya - GST Road oppp Airport - This is a small restaurant near Trident Chennai. A very gud view of planes landing and taking off from the transparent windows with some gud music for ur ears.

3. GRT Grand days: I have always loved to eat there. There is an air of elegance.. It is more suitable for formal lunches/dinners. But when u go to have some cool time with ur friends .. better find some other place ..

4. Murugan Idly shop
5. Hot chips - No samosa can beat Hot chips samosa in taste...

Ghlli
5th May 2006, 10:20 PM
Wagamamas~!

narayanan
14th December 2006, 06:46 PM
did anyone mention Krishna Kafe in Bangalore, there are 2 (1 in Koramangala 5th Block and the other is in the lane opposite IIM-B main gate on Bannerghatta Road). I've had lunch in the weekends, and its good, the unlimited meals is a bit expensive though (80 bucks) so are the other rates here. But the quality is excellent :thumbsup:

Pongal is reasonably good, not aha-oho. The place is like namma oor 'idli kadai' style. But variety wise you get a lot. Its in quite a few places around Bangalore. There is one near Marathahalli bridge, one close to East End (on 6th Main), one somewhere near 80 ft Road.
~~~~~~~
There is one horrible place called 'Park View' on JP Nagar 1st Main. Heaven sake avoid it.

Surya
15th December 2006, 01:23 AM
Chineese and Italian restaurents are de best :D

then pizza hut :D

Burger King

McDonalds

KFC

Starbucks

Looks like Childhood Obiesity is creeping up in london also! :omg:

gaayu, that's like the most unhealthy stuff u can put inside ur body! :evil:

Tia
15th December 2006, 03:11 AM
:lol: omg i cant believe this! i was going to post in the thread right now by saying never eat mcdonalds its the most fattiest thing ever :lol: and i see a post from me listing all of that! :lol: woahhhhhh! that can't be meee! :lol: i never even remember visiting this thread :lol:

but anyway..i still like all the others except mr mcdonalds now! :lol:

(oh jeez i had MD 2day! :lol: ) ~temptation when u have a half day school!

yes yes childhood obeisity is sooo large in UK they had to change the biology GCSE syllabus to add it in! :lol:

bulb_mani
15th December 2006, 03:17 AM
Eat at home... if not eat at forest :lol2: ... all natural aint it :P

Surya
15th December 2006, 03:39 AM
Forest food is probably still healthier than Mc Donalds or KFC... :lol2:

Tia
15th December 2006, 04:32 AM
veru natural...in that case if u want natural coffee what u should do is

mix mud with water, warm it up, add a bit of cat vomit instead of creamy milk and dandruff as sugar :mrgreen: pleasant natural food :lol:

sorry i'v been watch blackadder lately in school history lessons...it just inspires me :lol:

Tia
15th December 2006, 04:32 AM
bwaaaakkk

Surya
15th December 2006, 04:42 AM
bwaaaakkk

U wanna eat a parrot? :?

Tia
15th December 2006, 04:58 AM
no i'm throwing up....(dont know how to sound that) :roll: :lol:

Surya
15th December 2006, 05:00 AM
oh..I thought it was british was awesome..:roll: Also thought it might be britsh for Parrot..:P

Tia
15th December 2006, 05:03 AM
no no...thats brapppp! not buwaaakk...! :lol: lolz eating a parrot...:cry2: soo cruel....people even eat dogs and puppies in china :cry2: and rats buwwwwwakkkk! :lol:

Surya
15th December 2006, 05:10 AM
None of that beats Ozzy Ozborn who bit the head off of a living pigeon on stage in a rock concert..now that is Braap! :cry2:

Tia
15th December 2006, 05:13 AM
iooo ewwwwwwwww i never knew that! yuckkkk!

no no surya...get it the right way...that is buwaaaaak! (unless u like biting of pigeons heads :lol: )

Surya
15th December 2006, 05:14 AM
I meant Buwaaak! :banghead:

I can't get British Slang! :hammer: I Give Up! :cry:

Tia
15th December 2006, 05:17 AM
Awwwwwww! :P :lol: atleast u've got the hang on bre now! initttttttt! :wink: :lol:

Wibha
15th December 2006, 06:13 AM
mix mud with water, warm it up, add a bit of cat vomit instead of creamy milk and dandruff as sugar :mrgreen: pleasant natural food :lol:

:lol: :rotfl:

Surya
15th December 2006, 06:15 AM

sorry i'v been watch blackadder lately in school history lessons...it just inspires me :lol:

I just read this post......and well...I'm not gonna be able to eat dinner tonight...:roll: :( :x

Wibha
15th December 2006, 06:16 AM
the best places in b'lore are

EAT OUT :D
Khoshy's
Ballla
Kamat yaatranivas
Pavithra Paradise
Roti Ghar
kadamba's refreshments

Surya
15th December 2006, 06:17 AM

Khoshy's
Ballla
Kamat yaatranivas
Pavithra Paradise
Roti Ghar
kadamba's refreshments

When I was in b'lore (I think i was like 5 or 6 yrs old) my mom used to take me to this place called SHILPA. It was....it was near the Majestic Bus stop I guess...I have a Very Vague Memory of it...

Wibha
15th December 2006, 06:21 AM
oh :cool: .....majestic has some cool restaurants....

now many others came to my mind

Samrat

dis one old restaurant in malleshwaram.cant' remember it's name :( )can some one help me?) it's a very old restaurant in 8th cross...it's famous for a sweet.

Sanguine Sridhar
15th December 2006, 07:56 AM
correction

thats

Brilliant tutorial podi dosai kadai ... taste is really good

:exactly: :thumbsup: we used to go there after :oops2: every friday\saturday night...

but they losed the quality it is not as good as before! :(

Shakthiprabha.
15th December 2006, 02:00 PM

Khoshy's
Ballla
Kamat yaatranivas
Pavithra Paradise
Roti Ghar
kadamba's refreshments

where is EAT OUT
, KHOSHYS AND BALLA wibha?

plz tell me.

Since I reside in south blore, places I SUGGEST ARE...

BAY LEAF
Grameen
Krishna cafe
Vaishnavi residency
Kadambam
INCHARA
TANDOOR
GUJ restaurant in BTM (forgot its name :oops: )
NEWYORKER

I badly want to visit HALLIMANE... not got an opportunity yet.

narayanan
15th December 2006, 02:10 PM
SP,
I live in South Bangalore too. can you tell me where these restaurants you mentioned are, apart from Krishna Kafe where am a regular customer :mrgreen:

rocketboy
15th December 2006, 09:09 PM
I am also a regular customer of Krishna Cafe so much so that nowadays when I enter no one takes notice of me because I don't pay tips. :lol: ( Eppayavathu pona tips kodukalam. Dailyum pona enna panrathu . I give only once a week). There is another Tamizh hotel by name Pongal . I heard the food over there is good too. Has anyone tried it out?

bulb_mani
15th December 2006, 09:45 PM

Seems like uve been eating this all ur life :lol2:

Tia
15th December 2006, 11:21 PM
nice! :lol:

I just read this post......and well...I'm not gonna be able to eat dinner tonight...:roll: :( :x

Tia
15th December 2006, 11:23 PM
no, not really...its just an invention...i shall test it on u first! :lol:

Seems like uve been eating this all ur life :lol2:

Designer
16th December 2006, 12:20 AM
some nice eatouts in chennai

1. COPPER POINT, GRT Grand, T.Nagar

2. CARNIVAL HEIGHTS, revolving restaurant, Poonamalli Hi rd. Chetpet.

3. MAURYA, HOTEL TRIDENT, near airport

4. KOMALAS

5. DHABA EXPRESS

6. VASANTHA BHAVAN - Vadapalani - film & tv personalities can be seen here, but in the ac section. occassional tv serial shootings also take place here. ( owned by BG's friend's dad ! )

Alan
16th December 2006, 01:44 AM
1. The Kamat chain of Restaurants.
2. Sri Balaji, Carol Bagh, Delhi
3. Hotel Swati, Carol Bagh, Delhi
4. Hotel Sunrise, Agra

Surya
16th December 2006, 03:32 AM
WHen I was in delhi we went to this place called Nirulas...They had the worst Pizza in the WORLD!! :banghead:

Their other stuff was gud though! :thumbsup:

Designer
16th December 2006, 12:31 PM
Surya : the Masala Dosai there used to be good :slurp:. i did a month's stint there just b4 joining college 8-). so many yrs ago

Designer
16th December 2006, 12:38 PM
Some nice eatouts in BANGALORE :

1. UDIPI GARDEN, BTM

2. SOUTHERN SPICE, BTM

3. LADDOOS, BTM & Jayanagar

4. INDIA COFFEE HOUSE, Malleswaram

5. ALLI MANNE, Malleswaram

6. GANGARAM, Commercial Street

7. COOL JOINT, Jayanagar

narayanan
16th December 2006, 08:22 PM
RB,
I probably would've seen you. 'cos I visit every morning and evening and for lunch in the weekends (night pasicha dhaane sapda). Since they accept Sodexho, whatever change doesnt come back and goes as tips.

I've been to Pongal in 2 different locations, local'a irukkum. I dint like the quality there.
~~~~~~~~
Designer,
a little more specific locations please, especially the ones in BTM and Jayanagar.

Shakthiprabha.
16th December 2006, 09:01 PM
RB,
I probably would've seen you. 'cos I visit every morning and evening and for lunch in the weekends (night pasicha dhaane sapda). Since they accept Sodexho, whatever change doesnt come back and goes as tips.

I've been to Pongal in 2 different locations, local'a irukkum. I dint like the quality there.
~~~~~~~~
Designer,
a little more specific locations please, especially the ones in BTM and Jayanagar.

u mit hav seen me too (krishna cafe) :D

I come there at times durign sundays for lunch (NOT ALL SUNDAYS)
U mean kormangala outlet?

'Ladooos' in btm is good too (eat PARATHAS there)

rest I mentioned are not from south blore...except kadambam (4th block)

inc ase u are familiar with kormangala

try out BAYLEAF

AND

GRAMEEN both in raheja arcade

(both lil expensive (esp bayleaf) but food is yummy :) )

Designer
16th December 2006, 09:12 PM
RB,

~~~~~~~~
Designer,

Narayanan : i had gone there with some relatives quite some time back. neeways i will get the location from them and post here later. :)

narayanan
16th December 2006, 09:12 PM
I meant the one opposite IIM-B.
~~~~~~
Kadambam's in 4th block. Uh-oh missed it. Went to Nandhinee in 4th Block last night, the evening meals totally sucked.

Wibha
16th December 2006, 10:36 PM

Khoshy's
Ballla
Kamat yaatranivas
Pavithra Paradise
Roti Ghar
kadamba's refreshments

where is EAT OUT
, KHOSHYS AND BALLA wibha?

plz tell me.

Since I reside in south blore, places I SUGGEST ARE...

I badly want to visit HALLIMANE... not got an opportunity yet.

EAT OUT is in malleshwaram OPPOSITE to MES college...typical hangout for the surronding school and college students :D

Khoshys's is in MG ROAD...

Ballal m not sure of that place :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
16th December 2006, 10:48 PM
~~~~~~
Kadambam's in 4th block. Uh-oh missed it. Went to Nandhinee in 4th Block last night, the evening meals totally sucked.

I also come to IIMB only :P

TRY kadambam

NEAR icici (3RD BLOCK bus stand)

FOOD would be typical southy. konjam kannada style...but thats okei.

Shakthiprabha.
16th December 2006, 10:49 PM
Ladoos is good too (btm)

There is one more GUJ hotel in btm. (per maranthu pochu :oops:)

Wibha
16th December 2006, 11:15 PM
~~~~~~

I also come to IIMB only :P

TRY kadambam

NEAR icici (3RD BLOCK bus stand)

FOOD would be typical southy. konjam kannada style...but thats okei.

the pondichery idli's in kadambam r :thumbsup:

southiecook
17th December 2006, 02:06 AM
Bangalore:

MTR-original: The one near the main entrance of Lalbagh (Lalbagh rd). It is going to be a totally different experience. You may have to wait for hours with your tokens :( But, if you want to experience the real taste of traditional Kannadiga food, go for it once.

Cool joint (I think it is already mentioned, it is in Jayanagar 4th blk, near the bus station) is good. Will be crowded on weekends and evenings. Their hot soups and grilled sandwiches are cool :)

Designer
17th December 2006, 02:08 AM
SC : ya i forgot to mention MTR (Mysore Tiffin Room ?), bcos hadnt been there recently :). When i had been there, i noticed the higenic way food was prepared. dunno whether its the same now :roll:

Wibha
17th December 2006, 02:10 AM
in b'lore every place is always CLEAn...so u can always eat anywhere

southiecook
17th December 2006, 02:15 AM
MTR is Mavalli Tiffin Room, I think. Yeah, it is hygienic (was so 3 yrs back - at least :) ). The one which I mentioned is the original one, started decades back. The building, the environment, the wait time and the method of service will take us to the old times. Have been to their new outlet near Banashankari also, where the main speciality is their branded icecreams plus an array of sweets.

Wibha
17th December 2006, 02:19 AM
there is one in bashym circle too.apart from the waiting ti's clean and nice :D

Designer
17th December 2006, 07:02 AM
MTR is Mavalli Tiffin Room, I think. Yeah, it is hygienic (was so 3 yrs back - at least :) ). The one which I mentioned is the original one, started decades back. The building, the environment, the wait time and the method of service will take us to the old times. Have been to their new outlet near Banashankari also, where the main speciality is their branded icecreams plus an array of sweets.

SC : ya i also meant the original one, where all the preparation was mechanised way back in the 1980s itself, and there used to be a queue for getting a place :)

Arshitha : ya, B'lore is much cleaner than Chennai :)

narayanan
17th December 2006, 11:22 AM
in b'lore every place is always CLEAn

'every' is way too generalization. not all in Bangalore are clean.

madhu
17th December 2006, 11:41 AM

:yes:

Shakthiprabha.
17th December 2006, 01:01 PM
yeah wibha. blore is CLEAN AND NEAT. so we can eat anywhere.

SC,

yeah cool joint's grilled sandwich is BEST. I tried making it at home.. and it came out quite good :)

Shakthiprabha.
17th December 2006, 01:09 PM

:evil:

I disagree with this and agree with WIBHA.

Ramakrishna
17th December 2006, 01:28 PM
Grameen, Kabab corner in Koramangala, Bangalore.

great
17th December 2006, 02:58 PM
yeah wibha. blore is CLEAN AND NEAT. so we can eat anywhere.

Eat anywhereNa roadLa ukkanthu saapadlama :tongueout:

narayanan
17th December 2006, 05:04 PM

:evil:

I disagree with this and agree with WIBHA.

idhukku peru extreme city-alism :P I've hardly been in Bangalore for 3 months. I can list 3 out of the 7/8 places I've been so far that are pretty galeej. BTW am talking about restaurants on par or above CMH road Adyar Anandha Bhavan type.
~~~~~~
:rotfl: :rotfl: at Balaji's comment

Alan
17th December 2006, 06:24 PM
WHen I was in delhi we went to this place called Nirulas...They had the worst Pizza in the WORLD!! :banghead:

Their other stuff was gud though! :thumbsup:

:shock: oh is it?
I had the WORST PIZZAS from a hotel in kerala- It was called bayleaf & is located in City Centre, Thrissur. :roll:

Sri Balaji is a South Indian Restaurant and they have a great variety of Dosas- Rava Dosa, Mysore masala Dosa, Cashew Dosa, Paneer Dosa and so on. Its YUMMY!

Shakthiprabha.
17th December 2006, 07:30 PM
Narayan, balaji

:oops: :D :) :thumbsup:

I basically feel blore restaurants are definitely well maintained and hygenic than chennai (another place I knew long back)

I MAY BE COMPLETELY wrong, but I know I AM NOT :P

dev
17th December 2006, 07:34 PM
I agree with Shakthi... MOST restaurentsin blore, be it big or small, are well maintained...very clean...this includes roadside chaat sellers too...

Wibha
18th December 2006, 01:08 AM
I agree with Shakthi... MOST restaurentsin blore, be it big or small, are well maintained...very clean...this includes roadside chaat sellers too...

in bangalore u can bravely eat even in a roadside restaurant unless many cities. it's not extreme city-alism or anything like that.it's just the fact. u can be guaranteed of cleanliness in any fast food. and in b'lore even the food is less expensive.i noticed this cuz in chennai i didn't find any fast food neat.so i had ot go to saravana BHAVAN and 1 plate of dosa costed like Rs20 which is ridiculous.

Tia
18th December 2006, 01:23 AM
In England the best indian food restaurent is CHENNAI DOSA! :D

such tasty food! i prefer it to my mummas! :D its extremely cheap too! just fits the bill :D

i have never had such tasty dosa, fried rice, uppumaa, poori (huge size, bigger than 2 baloons) and theres a famiyl dosa which is 6 feet long! :lol:

soooooo tasty and its in 4 places...opening one in tooting soon :D :redjump:

ajithfederer
18th December 2006, 02:49 AM
Nalla saptu innum guuuuuuundu aagu :shock:

such tasty food! i prefer it to my mummas! :D its extremely cheap too! just fits the bill :D

i have never had such tasty dosa, fried rice, uppumaa, poori (huge size, bigger than 2 baloons) and theres a famiyl dosa which is 6 feet long! :lol:

narayanan
18th December 2006, 10:21 AM
1 plate of dosa costed like Rs20 which is ridiculous

its 17 bucks here in Krishna Kafe :roll:
~~~~~~~
I havent ate out much in Madras, but am aware that Saravana Bhavan is ridiculously expensive, simply 'cos of the hype that surrounds it. One of my friend who visited sometime ago ordered some fried rice or pulav, he said the raitha alone was 40 bucks :rotfl:

ajithfederer
18th December 2006, 10:42 AM
:shock:

1 plate of dosa costed like Rs20 which is ridiculous

its 17 bucks here in Krishna Kafe :roll:
~~~~~~~
I havent ate out much in Madras, but am aware that Saravana Bhavan is ridiculously expensive, simply 'cos of the hype that surrounds it. One of my friend who visited sometime ago ordered some fried rice or pulav, he said the raitha alone was 40 bucks :rotfl:

alwarpet_andavan
18th December 2006, 11:01 AM
so i had ot go to saravana BHAVAN and 1 plate of dosa costed like Rs20 which is ridiculous.

Saravana Bhavan is without doubt the worst "famous" restaurant.
The items are too costly, the quantity is a joke and IMO quality should not be a bonus, it should be a given. Its a pity that many non-Chennai-ites and non-Tamils identify Chennai with SB.
In that league, Vasantha Bhavan and Sangeetha are much better.
Plus, you have the evergreen classics like Triplicane Rathna Cafe.

I agree that Bangalore is cleaner and you have a lot of fast food restaurants which are cheap but the "sweet" sambar, the flaky idli served in Bangalore is definitely not a Thamizhan's pint of beer :)

To sum up the predicament, one of my friends had come to Bangalore for the 2nd time or something and he went to a Sukh Sagar or some place like that and ordered dosai and obviously he found the sambar very sweet. The next day, he wanted to have something sweet and he ordered Kesar baath, which he found was not sweet enough! :)

dev
18th December 2006, 02:45 PM
I agree that Bangalore is cleaner and you have a lot of fast food restaurants which are cheap but the "sweet" sambar, the flaky idli served in Bangalore is definitely not a Thamizhan's pint of beer :)

To sum up the predicament, one of my friends had come to Bangalore for the 2nd time or something and he went to a Sukh Sagar or some place like that and ordered dosai and obviously he found the sambar very sweet. The next day, he wanted to have something sweet and he ordered Kesar baath, which he found was not sweet enough! :)

Sweet in sweet dishes is just right for my liking... but sambar, I don't consider it sambar... it's a mix of sambar,rasam & kolambu + jaggery in it... Hmmm, but I like annapoorna(in cbe) sambar though it has a slight sweetish taste... :roll:

hey, but you have lots of those dosa corner kind of places in b'lore, selling dosas with HOT coconut chutney & mashed potatoes... yummy they are... & I love the stuffed paranthas we get in b'lore... & chaats too...:drool:

Alan
18th December 2006, 08:05 PM
Utsav Restaurant, Secunderabad
Hotel Minerva , "
Universal Bakery ( The veg burgers are too good is used to cost just Rs18/- back in 2002- don't know the price now)

Tia
18th December 2006, 09:44 PM
ok anna....i'll do what u say :D i'm a gd girl :lol:

Nalla saptu innum guuuuuuundu aagu :shock:

Designer
18th December 2006, 10:59 PM

in bangalore u can bravely eat even in a roadside restaurant unlike many cities. it's not extreme city-alism or anything like that.it's just the fact. u can be guaranteed of cleanliness in any fast food. and in b'lore even the food is less expensive.i noticed this cuz in chennai i didn't find any fast food neat.so i had ot go to saravana BHAVAN and 1 plate of dosa costed like Rs20 which is ridiculous.

I agree with this - roadside 'restaurants' & 'fast food' outlets in Chennai are not hygenic & not appetising, whereas in B'lore they are much cleaner.

Alan
20th December 2006, 07:59 PM
Are there Punjabi Dhabas in B'lore? We have lots of them here in Delhi.

narayanan
20th December 2006, 10:34 PM
I know a couple, there's one in the same complex as Malgudi on Outer Ring Road. It was ok. I remember seeing another opposite Pongal on 6th Main, close to East End flyover. Havent tried the latter though.

Shakthiprabha.
23rd December 2006, 08:44 AM
so i had ot go to saravana BHAVAN and 1 plate of dosa costed like Rs20 which is ridiculous.

Saravana Bhavan is without doubt the worst "famous" restaurant.
The items are too costly, the quantity is a joke and IMO quality should not be a bonus, it should be a given. Its a pity that many non-Chennai-ites and non-Tamils identify Chennai with SB.
In that league, Vasantha Bhavan and Sangeetha are much better.
Plus, you have the evergreen classics like Triplicane Rathna Cafe.

SAGAR group of restaurants were ONCE FMOUS ENOUGH (long back s ome 20 years or so back)

now the QUALITY of sagar restaurants are NOT ENOUGH to sate middle class ppl like us.

Normal middle class ppl, DO NOT PREFER SAGAR RESTAURANTS anymore.

A cheaper fast food joints, like how wibha suggested WORKS OUT REAL HEALTHY AND CLEAN AND TASTY (yes except for sambhar part :roll: :( )

esp SLV's are MUCH BETTER.

shalitha
25th December 2006, 11:42 PM

:jwaak: :vomit: :lol: :oops: :evil:

alwarpet_andavan
3rd January 2007, 04:40 PM
In Bangalore, Annachi (Indra Nagar) and Ponnuchaami (Residency Road/Brigade Road Jn) are good for Thamizh/Chettinad food..

alwarpet_andavan
3rd January 2007, 04:44 PM
Italian cuisine, anyone?

In Chennai, Bella Ciao (Nungambakkam high Rd) has to be the best but its VERY expensive. It doesn't get more authentic than their pizzas which are ultra-thin and wooden oven-baked...
The ravioli rocks!

Casa Piccola (Kader Nawaz Khan Rd) - Decent food, great ambience at the roof-top and reasonably priced

Little Italy in City Center has very little variety to offer... Havent been to the main branch..

Eatalica (opp Loyola) is also good value for money...

Wibha
4th January 2007, 04:16 AM
I like gangotri Buffet in Chennai........ pretty gud

Nerd
4th January 2007, 05:06 AM
Italian is my favourite especially Olive Garden in the US :P

But I havent tried italian restaurants in chennai. Once went to a korean restaurant near azhwarpet. The food sucked and its crazy expensive as well. Forgot the name of the restaurant :oops:

malsi
4th January 2007, 07:02 PM
i was in chennai last week.. myself and my fiance tried the kerala dishes in a restaurant called KAIRALI located in Anna Nagar..it was simply superb..:-)..

pavalamani pragasam
21st July 2008, 01:58 PM
My first barbecue dinner!

Wanting to give me a different eating out experience my son took me to Barbecue Nation.

My adventure started with iced tea which I have never tasted before. When I looked in shock at the large glass the youngsters pacified me saying I can take my own sweet time to finish it off, taking a sip in between the course. What I cannot understand was why it was not sweet!

Luckily I had a companion for vegetarian menu! We had different colour plates safegaurding us from the carnivores' feast! The ubiquitous tissue paper was absent! A neat cloth napkin was placed on our lap.

A grill was placed in front of us and a variety of vegetables & panneer in rods were put on the grill. On the table were 6 cups of sauces in six colours with small brushes to apply on the barbecued items. The brushes were amusing to a country mouse like me! The baby corn, colour capsicums, potato, mushroom etc served were sizzling & tasted good enough with sufficient salt, pepper & oregano. Hence I desisted from experimenting with my painting skill by dipping into any of the cups.

Roti & chutney too was good. Then we hastily bent down the flag kept on the table to stop the fast flow of barbecue supply & got up to forage into the buffet section.

The tomato soup was divine. It has taken nearly 4 decades' interval for me to taste a proper soup: the last time I had it served was at a lunch hosted by the American Embassy during a seminar in my PG days- with butter cubes & crunchy, yummy crotons.

I steered past noodles & macaroni. A big 'No' to them when I had better options before me! The teaspoonful each of elegant-looking rice & briyani found no favour with my palate, either!

Gifted(!) with a sweet tooth as Iwas, the dessert area was attractive to me. The content of the dainty earthen mug- baasanthi- was not up to my expectation: not sweet enough. The gulab jamuns were good. My grandson was heartily forking them down his throat one after another!

There was souffle- something I have not tasted before! The pineapple souffle was simply superb! The bitter chocolate sauce was not for me. The green, red jelly & nut, caramel garnishings are OK with me! I guiltlessly committed the sin of helping myself generously to the delicacy.

Icecream with nut toppings followed leaving no place in the tummy for the variety of cakes!

Voila, a sumptuous dinner to remember!

Shakthiprabha.
21st July 2008, 02:08 PM
:D

Mouthwatering to read! :D

I am surprised u actually enjoyed souffle. Most elders dont! (atleast the ones Ive known)

Next time try MOUSSE :slurp:

P_R
21st July 2008, 02:14 PM
Is there a Sushi-bar in Chennai ?
There is one insanely expensive Jap restaurant in one of the star hotels. Apart from that I remember there was a Sushi restaurant that started in Nungambakkam High Road. Somewhere near Ispahani Centre. Was searching for it once and couldn't locate it.
moodittaangaLA ?

karthik_sa2
25th July 2008, 04:25 PM
cool thread...ok lemme list out my fav restaurants

1. my best ever restaurant in chennai is kumarakom...am not a mallu but still i love this restaurant for two reasons...obvioulsy fish pollichaathu and live singing...karoke kinda thing...i wonder how most of the waiters there manage to sing like kjj..amazing really....

2. pure veggie then its sangeetha adyar unanimoulsy...the varirty is huge in there..price very reasonable for the quality and variety they offer esp meals..

3. GRT grand days any time coffeee shop...welll this is one place i frequent very often unimaginable variety in buffet esp desserts...it was 350 +taxes before ..now its has gone up to 550 i believe....for 350 it was more than worth but now :roll:

4. residency again buffet is very good...and cheap..compared to other 3 and 5 stars

5. queens haddows road...i love tehe dynasty chinese restaurant there apart from eden...

6. minerva in velachery..very reasonable priced chetinad restauranat in velachery..

7.ponnusaamy again very good chettinad restaurant very reasonabale price...

8. paramount in purasiwalkam...i love the tangri kebabs there..

9. coronet - one must defenitely try the dragon prwns there...mouth watering

10. shakes and creams...huge variety of milk shakes and icecreams u can get in chennai

11. swensens in singapore...its somewhat like shakes n creams in chennai...very attractive

12. gayathri restaurant in shernagoon..if u wanna go for chettinad stuff with very good hospitatlity in singapore ..then this is the place.

restaurants i hate

1. saravana bhavan- there were days when i really loved this restaurant esp for its hygenic atmosphere but not any more...the service has gone utterly bad and so is the quality...

2. rethna cafe-- very old restaurant first started in triplicane..it was the best restaurants before but now it has become very expensive as it got renovated with branches all over chennai, the quality also detiorated.

3. komalas in singapore == less said is better abouth this restaurant ...

4. karaikudi...has become very expensive and besant nagar karaikudi is the worst restaurant i had ever been to....worst quality..

5.. MC in cehnnai...without mc crispy i don think so mc donalds is worth and the french fries r no match to theirs in singapore and other parts of the world

now that u all will defenitely know that i am a food buff.. :P

crajkumar_be
25th July 2008, 05:42 PM
Oh, revival-a!

Recent favorites:

Singapore:
Komala Vilas - For a sober lunch
Anjappar - the aasthana restaurant. Anjappar Spl Settinad Sikken is very good
Fresca de la Salvatore - Not many choices in vegetarian but decent nevertheless
Mango Tree - Kerala cuisine. Idiappam, Malabar Sikken and Vegetable stew is a standard
[I hate Chinese/Oriental so haven't tried any of those]

குடை கட (Little India) - Aasthana watering-hole for myself, friends and hubber Joe and also guests like SKV and Maddy :) Though there's nothing much in it for me in terms of food, its the pazhakkam and nostalgia factor...

Bangalore:
Bobby's Dhaba near Ulsoor Gurdwara - Kick-ass Punjabi, as authentic as it gets. More importantly, its a no-frills, purely functional setup and they have been around for long and don't care about all this "ambience" and decor crap!

Chennai:
Shankar Chaat Bandar (opp Jessie Moses school, Anna Nagar) - The best Chaat you can hope to have, south of the Vindhyas! The taste has been the same for years

Apart from that I remember there was a Sushi restaurant that started in Nungambakkam High Road. Somewhere near Ispahani Centre. Was searching for it once and couldn't locate it.
moodittaangaLA ?

Are you talking about the one next to Ranjith Hotel (Crystal Bar)?

crajkumar_be
25th July 2008, 05:43 PM
The world's most overrated Indian restaurant is Saravana Bhavan. Say No to HSB!!!

pavalamani pragasam
25th July 2008, 05:45 PM
Saravana bhavan my one time favourite! But its rates & taste are changing in inverse proportion! :(

crajkumar_be
25th July 2008, 05:54 PM
The best place to go for a really late dinner or early breakfast after a night-out is the coffe shop @ breeze. You won't get much but the Bisibele Baath is great.

The "kozhi vartha kuzhambu" at the coffee shop @ Residency used to be good once but i'm not sure about it anymore.

Matchpoint (Taj Coramandel) is good but expensive, obviously

Mercara (Chola ) is quite OK but most of the other coffee shops don't have much to write home about... (no idea about Park, Connemara)

Kittathatta idhe situation la (vidinja piragu) breakfast ku arumayaana idam, near Anna Nagar tower, there is an array of small tea/tiffin kadais. Heaven!

ajithfederer
25th July 2008, 09:03 PM
In Coimbatore

R.S Puram - Anna poorna

Angannan biriyani mess - Used to be famous but ippo per konjam seri illainu solraanga :oops: (Near Oppanakara street).

Thalapakattu hotel and Rayappas Restaurant - Gandhipuram

Paati OR amma Mess ( not sure about the name but they are two adjoining shops) in RS Puram again - Very good for Tiffen Items !!

Alankar Grande is good but never been to Residency at all !!!

karthik_sa2
26th July 2008, 12:44 AM
The world's most overrated Indian restaurant is Saravana Bhavan. Say No to HSB!!!

:exactly: bala

MrIndia
26th July 2008, 01:13 AM
In Sunnyvale,CA
SouthIndian:

NonVeg:

1) Cupertino Bakery- parotta-mutton salna,chicken lollipop - kadharum
2) Muniyandi vilas- chicken 65 and biriyani . (always get it TO-GO : its not so neat)
3)TasteBuds - pulkas and mashed egg curry.TOP. price is also reasonable.
4) kabab corner- super kabab and hyd biriyani
5) peacock and athidhi - nice andhra restaurants.

Veg:
1)Saravana Bhavan for tiffin
1)Komala vilas for meals.. apidi irukum saapadu. they will serve the food.. podhum podhum solra varaikum poduvaanga. -UNLIMITED + Bedaa . sunday mathiyanam potato curry... SUPERR
3)TasteBuds- Veg fried rice and gobi manchurian
4)Chat House- gud
5)UDUPI- Dosa vada curry and Beda nalla irukum.. maththathu buzzu

Wibha
26th July 2008, 05:12 AM

seriously :x :x i hate that restaurant/fastfood whatever it is :hammer: :banghead:

MrIndia
4th August 2008, 11:15 PM
I had a chance to go to vaigai restaurant.. its in intersection of commerical st and arqueus ave in sunnyvale..

shud say.. its far better than saravana bhavan for a authentic south indian restaurant..
it appears to be little expensive(may be we ate a lot) but worth it.

P_R
5th August 2008, 07:15 AM
Apart from that I remember there was a Sushi restaurant that started in Nungambakkam High Road. Somewhere near Ispahani Centre. Was searching for it once and couldn't locate it.
moodittaangaLA ?
Are you talking about the one next to Ranjith Hotel (Crystal Bar)? Hmm could be. I don't know where it is actually. I went to the complex next to Ranjith (Barista, Anjappar etc). No-one knew of any Jap restaurant.

The best place to go for a really late dinner or early breakfast after a night-out is the coffe shop @ breeze. You won't get much but the Bisibele Baath is great.
:yes: Pretty good place. Post Sangam night show intellechuval discussions..... and other recuperations. :-)

The world's most overrated Indian restaurant is Saravana Bhavan. Say No to HSB!!! Chutney dhakkunoondu veppAn, bill nallA theettuvaan. Apart from that I kind of like the food here. Incredibly consistent. T Nagar-nalayum Toronto-layum sambhar orE maadhiri irukkum ! Secret Sauce 'mbaingaLE.

NOV
5th August 2008, 07:28 AM
Nirwana Maju has started operations in Taipan2 USJ a few months ago.

Expect high quality South Indian food at reasonable prices. Breakfast is served until 11.30am and thereafter only rice and noodles are available. All food is served on banana leaf. :thumbsup:

While dining there, dont forget to ask for Madras Coffee - real Indian filter coffee! :slurp:

http://www.friedchillies.com/fc/more.php?id=2010_0_1_0

http://www.malaysianfoodreview.net/2006/08/21/banana-leaf-rice-sri-nirwana-maju-bangsar/

dev
5th August 2008, 03:13 PM
In Coimbatore

R.S Puram - Anna poorna

Angannan biriyani mess - Used to be famous but ippo per konjam seri illainu solraanga :oops: (Near Oppanakara street).

Thalapakattu hotel and Rayappas Restaurant - Gandhipuram

Paati OR amma Mess ( not sure about the name but they are two adjoining shops) in RS Puram again - Very good for Tiffen Items !!

Alankar Grande is good but never been to Residency at all !!!

Rayappas & their customer service... :hammer: naan inimel Rayappas poradhu illainu sabadhame eduthu irukken... :evil:

The dinner buffet at Alankar grand is :thumbsup: The coffee shop at alankar is good too...

dev
22nd April 2009, 09:34 PM
Peking in cbe for good chinese food!!!...:slurp:

dinesh13284
22nd April 2009, 10:36 PM
Komalas is the worst for its service.. :evil:

jaaze
23rd April 2009, 08:36 AM
Komalas is the worst for its service.. :evil: :exactly: and their pricing is exorbitant for their above average quality and average taste

Surya
23rd April 2009, 12:17 PM
I never eat in saravana bhavan! :banghead: I think they get their molagapodi for free or something....alli alli kotiduraange! :angry2:

Maybe Business Tactics to make u buy juice? :confused2:

I don't like Vasantha Bhavan that much either...:roll:

The Best restaurants are the ones that u need directions for, they're not right on the street. :) For Example, theres this rest near the Lady Andaal School after the bridge, I went there once with a friend of mine, the food was pretty good. Apparently it's been there for thirty years. :) It was decent, the customer service was good (Comparatively mind u...) They have like the best Parruppu Podi I have ever tasted. :P

Anoushka
26th April 2009, 12:00 AM
If you are in Dublin, Ireland, give all the Indian restaurants a miss! :) They cater to the Irish taste and I am yet to find a place where I am happy with all the three courses! And they are too damn expensive anyway!

I like Da Pino (Italian) in city centre. The pizzas and pastas are good and the portions are huge.

Siam Thai (Thai, as the name suggests) is good too and so is Mao (Asian). The Nasi goreng there is nice :)

P_R
1st May 2009, 08:51 PM
Cornucopia in Cenotaph Road

Great

The walls are peeling off and all. But for those who don't mind sloppy ambience as long as the food is great. This is the place. The best continental food in Chennai. Yes, better than Tangerine (and less expensive). Didn't try the Italian will try next time around. Hope to go there again soon.

MADDY
1st May 2009, 09:00 PM

Great

The walls are peeling off and all. But for those who don't mind sloppy ambience as long as the food is great. This is the place. The best continental food in Chennai. Yes, better than Tangerine (and less expensive). Didn't try the Italian will try next time around. Hope to go there again soon.

oho !! mind-la vechikkuren :)

app_engine
1st May 2009, 09:06 PM
Mayur (on Rochester road off of long lake) in Troy, MI has the best taste by far among all the Indian restaurants in the metro Detroit area, குறிப்பாக சனிக்கிழமை பஃபே.

(Specific ordering is good at Priya in Farmington Hills but their buffet is like any other in the U.S. அது எப்பிடித்தான் எல்லா இந்தியன் ரெஸ்ட்டாரெண்ட்டுகளும் ஒரே மாதிரி சோகமான பஃபே போடறாங்கன்னு தெரியலை...எந்த ஊருக்குப்போனாலும் ஒரே கதை தான்)

Vivasaayi
1st May 2009, 09:18 PM
Barbeque nation - north usman road chennai

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 10:09 PM

Great

Remba naala idhukkum Tangerine-kum ponum lu mind la dhaan vechirukken, niravetha mudiyala... I'm hearing only good things about Cornucopia

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 10:09 PM
Konjam nirai kuraigala sollunga

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 10:14 PM
Anjappar - Anna Nagar
To be avoided like the plague

Mediocre food and pathetic service.

The Anjappar Spl chicken Masala (which was my favorite in Singapore) was a big let down here.

Visited my aasthana Hotel Green Park after 3 years. As the restaurant "Once Upon a Time" was full and so, settled for the coffe shop Tulips (for dinner they dont serve a la carte). Friday was Andhra day. Just about ok, no great shakes.

jaaze
6th May 2009, 10:15 PM
Anjappar - Anna Nagar

The Anjappar Spl chicken Masala (which was my favorite in Singapore) was a big let down here.

Visited my aasthana Hotel Green Park after 3 years. As the restaurant "Once Upon a Time" was full and so, settled for the coffe shop Tulips (for dinner they dont serve a la carte). Friday was Andhra day. Just about ok, no great shakes. :shock:

joe
6th May 2009, 10:15 PM
Incredibly consistent. T Nagar-nalayum Toronto-layum sambhar orE maadhiri irukkum ! Secret Sauce 'mbaingaLE.

Neenga singapore Saravana bhavan-la saapittiruntha ippadi solla maateenga :x

jaaze
6th May 2009, 10:17 PM
Though Saravana Bhavan (India) is being largely criticised for its deteriorating quality / value the Singapore Saravana Bhavan seems to be lauded by many.. :roll:

joe
6th May 2009, 10:18 PM
Phnom Penh - Cambodia :lol:

Mount Everest - NepaLi ,North Indian .

NepaLi style Chicken ,Mutton Curry :thumbsup:

joe
6th May 2009, 10:19 PM
Though Saravana Bhavan (India) is being largely criticised for its deteriorating quality / value the Singapore Saravana Bhavan seems to be lauded by many.. :roll:

Really ? :o

Oru naaL ponen ..appuRam antha pakkame thalai vachu padukkurathilla.

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 10:20 PM
Enakku therinju Singapore Saravana Bhavan is worse than the ones in Chennai.
Actually, no-frills, good food, "small" hotel culture is dead and gone in Chennai. Andha vishayathula Bangalore better...

Jaaze,
I was in Singapore for a while

joe
6th May 2009, 10:24 PM

Is it different from Chettinadu chicken masala?

joe
6th May 2009, 10:25 PM
I was in Singapore for a while

Namma kudai kadaiyila ethavathu fav undaa ? :lol:

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 10:27 PM

Chettinad dhaan but konjam darker gravy.... color is like pepper chicken masala

joe
6th May 2009, 10:28 PM
Singapore - Riverwalk Thanthori - Thanthori chicken is good

joe
6th May 2009, 10:28 PM

Chettinad dhaan but konjam darker gravy.... color is like pepper chicken masala

oh!ok..I have tried .It is good.

sarna_blr
6th May 2009, 10:32 PM
Anjappar - Anna Nagar
Anjappar in Hyderabad also :evil: :x

joe
6th May 2009, 10:33 PM
Chicken lover who goes to Seoul ,South Korea..

Don't miss
1.Two two chicken (fried) -(Two two chicken is a chain of resturants available in many places.)

2.Jing Jing chicken - Claypot full chicken coocked with rice inside.

Nerd
6th May 2009, 10:37 PM
Anjappar - Anna Nagar

:shock: Havent been to that branch but the one in Pondy Bazaar is pure gold. The service sucks there too but the taste is awesome. There's one in San Francisco which is terrific too.

Texas area
Settinad palace, Dallas - bestest.
Udipi - Hilcroft, Houston - Excellent veggie buffet on weekends
Madras Pavilion, Austin - Much better than the madras pavilions in houston, Dallas.
Istanbul Grill - Kirby, Houston, right next to little woodrows - Best middle eastern food in the Texas area.

Nerd
6th May 2009, 10:40 PM
Chicken lover who goes to Seoul ,South Korea..

Don't miss
1.Two two chicken (fried) -(Two two chicken is a chain of resturants available in many places.)

2.Jing Jing chicken - Claypot full chicken coocked with rice inside.
Went to a Korean restaurant last weekend. Enna order panniradhunE therila, onniyumE purila. Ordered a dish and they brought boiling water, veggies, meat and about 15 different spices, kEttA senji sAppidu-nu sollrAn. Naangalum yedhO try pannOm, rembbba kEvalamA irundhadhu :oops:

joe
6th May 2009, 10:46 PM
Went to a Korean restaurant last weekend. Enna order panniradhunE therila, onniyumE purila. Ordered a dish and they brought boiling water, veggies, meat and about 15 different spices, kEttA senji sAppidu-nu sollrAn. Naangalum yedhO try pannOm, rembbba kEvalamA irundhadhu :oops:
:lol:

Resturant-la mattumilla ..flight-laye appadi thaan.

Korean airlines-la 'Bi Bim Bop' -nu oru traditional dish kuduththanga ..Rice need to be mixed with chilli and other incrediants ..Ellam thani thaniya kuduththu mix pannurathukku oru user manual vera :lol: ..But nalla irunthuchu.

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Konjam nirai kuraigala sollunga

chicken mutton barbeques - chumma vandhu vechukuite irupaainga...
there is a decent spread as well..but before going for the spread u would have filled ur stomach with the barbeques..

but on the downside - its a bit monotonous...not like anjappar or ponnusamy types where we order for a parotta saalna at the start..then order mutton briyani,chilli chicken,omlette and fish fry...edhai edukka edhai vidukka ..apdilam illa..

u go there...they palce barbeques...have it half stomach..and then try the spread :)

jaaze
7th May 2009, 08:31 AM
Please suggest some affordable but yet good in taste and somewhat good in quality places to eat in Serangoon Road :)

joe
7th May 2009, 09:01 AM
Please suggest some affordable but yet good in taste and somewhat good in quality places to eat in Serangoon Road :)

Veg
1. New Madras woodlands - upper dickson rd (except meals)
2. Madras woodlands ganga - near saravana bhavan

Non-veg

1.Riverwalk Thandoor - near FarrerPark MRT.

jaaze
7th May 2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks joe
Well, that is affordable in the mid-range
How about some just above-average ones?

Have you tried Santhi Vilas (Veg)? Their dosais were good, (but they have somewhat deteriorated in quality and taste the past few years. Nevertheless it is some good value for your money)

Vivasaayi
19th July 2009, 09:52 AM
Any mexican restaurents in chennai?

P_R
19th July 2009, 12:38 PM

Don Pepe opposite Maris on Radhakrishnan Salai is the best place for Mexican food

NewYorker (Nungambakkam, opp Park Hotel) and Cream Centre (RA Puram) have good Mexican fare but only Veg there

dev
19th July 2009, 06:43 PM
Singapore - Riverwalk Thanthori - Thanthori chicken is good
yeah, Riverwalk tandoor was one of my fav ... they have a decent buffet spread too...

Khanzama in science park drive is also a :thumbsup:

Go India in vivo city is decent too but a bit pricey...

dev
19th July 2009, 06:45 PM
& there is this Indian food stall near the harbour front MRT... they serve the best sambar(IMO) i've tasted in SG...

Lambretta
20th July 2009, 12:08 AM
Hmm....that's interesting! I knew of only places in Little India that served Indian food, plus one Mumtaz Mahal in Pasir Ris, only for N.Indian food.

Vivasaayi
11th August 2009, 10:27 AM

Don Pepe opposite Maris on Radhakrishnan Salai is the best place for Mexican food

NewYorker (Nungambakkam, opp Park Hotel) and Cream Centre (RA Puram) have good Mexican fare but only Veg there

Thanks PR :)

kid-glove
11th August 2009, 10:41 AM
Is there a Sushi-bar in Chennai ?
There is one insanely expensive Jap restaurant in one of the star hotels. Apart from that I remember there was a Sushi restaurant that started in Nungambakkam High Road. Somewhere near Ispahani Centre. Was searching for it once and couldn't locate it.
moodittaangaLA ?

any new entries ?

Balaspike
11th August 2009, 11:43 AM
last week i went to tuticorin. Compare to chennai everything is good even in small hotels.

Sanguine Sridhar
11th August 2009, 11:57 AM
last week i went to tuticorin. Compare to chennai everything is good even in small hotels.

Also add cheap. I am trying to avoid hotels in Chennai these days.

1 plain dosa - 30 - 40 Rs, oru karandi maavuku ivvalo rooba too much I say! :evil:

But what I am surprised is that the hotels in Chennai are always crowded. People are not bothered to spend! :?

pavalamani pragasam
12th August 2009, 09:17 AM
In Bagalore Dominoes pizza-vum, McDonalds burger-um Ponnusami paper roast dhOsaikku eedaagavillai!

Vivasaayi
12th August 2009, 09:34 AM

Also add cheap. I am trying to avoid hotels in Chennai these days.

1 plain dosa - 30 - 40 Rs, oru karandi maavuku ivvalo rooba too much I say!
But what I am surprised is that the hotels in Chennai are always crowded. People are not bothered to spend! :?

Popular Vegetarian hotels are the worst among these "koLLa ik koottam"..

nithishri
29th August 2009, 10:28 PM
Minerva, herndon VA - one of the best buffet places . Great deal for Non veg , their standard for veg varities is deeply perishing except for the awesome thakkali chutney ..they have cut down veg varities.
Weekends they do offer great menu
Worth 14 $ (i know its a bit expensive) but surely great one for bday party treats

Curry and Kabab , Herndon VA - Ask me i u'd get better biriyani (mutton , chicken , shrimp)than this place.. keeps u licking your fingers even after u finish the plate .. well tats never happened as they offer good quantity of biriyani ..

Chutney, Herndon VA - Hopelessssss ..well actually it depends..when the cook is in the good mood .. u r saved
But aprt from that ..their hot bajjis and bondas is something which is a savier.

kid-glove
1st September 2009, 05:52 PM
Not an apt place to hog the food. But couple of sidedish recommends for low/medium budget bars in Chennai:

GLM Meridien rooftop - chilli eggs.

Hotel Ranjith rooftop(Crystal bar) - chicken afghani

At end of it all, curd rice.

ajithfederer
1st September 2009, 08:44 PM
Anybody living in NJ/PA/Philadelphia area can try out Hot Breads at 260 N Pottstown Pike, Exton. The food is good, imo.

raman3377
8th October 2009, 10:31 AM
Viva Mexico! YES! Original recipes from Mexican home kitchens recreated by Chef Virgil James and his team of Chefs to offer authentic Mexican fine dining in a never before experience at GRT Grand, 106 Sir Thyagaraya Road,Chennai, from the 5th of Oct 2009 to 11th Oct 2009. I read about this food fest HERE (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/455239634) and you could also check out findnearyou.com (http://tinyurl.com/ybuuxog) for more info and reference if you wish!

P_R
8th October 2009, 10:35 AM
Cedars - Mediterranean. Now in Wallace Garden, Nungambakkam.

Slightly pricey and ordinary ambience. The spread and dishes are pretty good though

pavalamani pragasam
25th March 2010, 05:06 PM
The thaali meals (Rajasthani) in Tip Top, Thane, Mumbai is sumptuous feast! And impeccable service!

kid-glove
25th March 2010, 05:08 PM
Someone care to recommend some affordable Indian restaurants in London...

kid-glove
25th March 2010, 05:10 PM
Near Kensington (close hotel), wright's lane..

Yuvi
25th March 2010, 07:23 PM
will let u know in couple of hours Kiddie.

Plum
26th March 2010, 12:14 PM
How affordable is affordable for you, kid? athai modjhalla chollunga

Yuvi
26th March 2010, 04:43 PM
Seconding Plum's quote and yet..

KG Kensington is in Central London and even you are charged a congestion tax if you drive your car in the C London roads. So imagine the price of a meal there. The best (and nearer to Kensington) is Veersamy (not our T.R's) http://www.veeraswamy.com/ .. We can offered to go there just once in a year as the remaining of the year who end up earning to go to this restaurant

The affordable Indian restaurants are mainly in the Indianized areas in London like Wembley, East Ham, Oaking etc. There are restaurant chains like Chennai Dosa and you could even see Saravana bhavan in East ham.

Plum might have more to add though.

kid-glove
26th March 2010, 04:46 PM
How affordable is affordable for you, kid? athai modjhalla chollunga

Ennakku Indian restaurant-lam particular illa. But my parents insist on having Indian meals for lunch (we get complimentary breakfast and dinner anyway)

They're spending about 21 pounds (incl of everything) for two. Is that a fair amount? If so, then okay. The meals are good in this place.

AV,

:ty: again..

NOV
26th July 2010, 09:55 AM
Received via email....

Best Thali's - Agarwal bhojana (sawkarpet), rasthani daba (anna nagar)

South indian meals - vasantha bavan, sangeetha's never try saravana bavan in chennai for anything (except important places like airport, railway station)

sambar idly - rathana cafe (triplicane)

poli's n gee sweets - krishna sweets.

coffee - all decent hotels, don't try at cafe coffee day n coffee day express.

For kadalai with girls, time pass with some coffee n desert best places - cafe coffee day (anna nagar, nungambakkam), Isbahani centre (nungambakkam), chennai central (mylapore)...

chevy
17th January 2011, 12:31 PM
mylapore - bombay halwa house- 2nd home! lol

app_engine
27th February 2011, 06:17 AM
Can someone in Anna nagar West, Chennai give some feedback about "Chettiar Kitchen" on North main road?

baroque
9th March 2011, 04:07 AM
Two places of middle class soul with tasty food

During my Winter Dec-Jan vacation to India this year, I ate at முருகன் இட்லி Shop couple of times while I did shopping at T.Nagar.
the place was fun.
My son loved different types of chutneys along with Sambar, they served.

During my short visit to Coimbatore, my appa & anna were showering praises on Shanthi Gears and their services.

Anna took me to Shanthi Canteen by Shanthi Gears - Singanalloor. OUTSTANDING food.

அவங்க placeley நான் evening கொஞ்சம் நேரம் தான் இருந்தேன்.. பக்கத்துலே walk ஆ போனோம்.
ரொம்ப பிடிச்சு இருந்தது.
There is a menu board.
select the items, pay the bill.
then proceed to the food serving counter, SELF-SERVE.
give your bill, pick up your food.

Used plates in the common area, they clear them fast.
very clean place, amazing food for cheap prices.

My son absolutely enjoyed the atmosphere.

Very proud of Shanthi gears.

I wanna make longer India visit this year.

Vinatha.

NOV
28th March 2011, 07:06 PM
‘Vanakam’ to Chennai kopitiam

CHENNAI: For a former Malaysian air stewardess, the sky's the limit, even when she ventures into the food business in a totally alien and competitive place like South India.

Chong Bee Bee, from Sungai Petani, Kedah, has to thank her grandma for the invaluable cooking tips.

Like the Singapore Airlines aircraft she served on for decades, the enterprising woman's “Bee's Kopitiam” outlet at Express Avenue Mall here is also doing soaring business.

http://thestar.com.my/archives/2011/3/28/nation/n_26kopi.jpg
Carving her niche: Chong at her ‘Bee’s Kopitiam’ outlet that serves various local dishes including char kuey teow and satay to South Indians in Chennai.

Aunty Bee, as she is popularly known among her customers, has even proved management gurus wrong that a university degree or plenty of funds are needed to build lofty dreams.

“I was planning for the last 10 years.

“I wanted to start a simple concept of one-dish meals.

“ I chose Chennai because most people speak English and the people are friendly, too,” the 39-year-old self-made entrepreneur told Bernama.

After serving the airlines, she quit her job, got married and moved to Chennai with her French husband, who is an IT consultant.

She started off with home catering before braving into the food business.

Last June, she finally broke into the competitive food industry, opening an outlet selling Malaysian cuisine in Chennai, a hotbed for spicy South Indian dishes.

At her cosy outlet located in the food court inside the mall, Bee serves an array of Malaysian flavours to local Indians, foreigners and Malaysians living in Chennai, where there is a growing taste for exotic delicacies.

Customers are spoilt for choice.

They can pick any mouth-watering dish from her menu char kuey teow, chicken rice, rendang, roti canai and mee goreng, all freshly-cooked and served hot in traditional Malaysian style.

“I have about 16 main course recipes on the menu.

“I don't Indianise the food.

“I try to maintain the originality.

“Indians are getting accustomed to Malaysian food,” she noted.

Backed by a nine-staff team, all locals, Bee operates her restaurant for 12 gruelling hours daily.

“My rendang sells like hot cakes and my satay is also a best-selling product.

“On Thursdays and Fridays, I serve Singapore chilli crabs.

“My idea is to cater to people who appreciate food.

“Now, I have my regular customers.

“I don't face competition here,” she added.

With her hospitality industry skills, Bee's next ambitious aim is to open a French-Oriental restaurant in India.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=%2F2011%2F3%2F28%2Fnation%2F8361181&sec=nation

raagadevan
1st April 2011, 02:38 AM
"Murugan and the idli factory"

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2011/04/01/stories/2011040151471200.htm

raagadevan
8th January 2012, 09:37 PM
"Kaapi and dosai, the good old way"

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/Food/article2780584.ece

ajithfederer
10th May 2012, 06:34 PM
Shanthi Gears Canteen - Near Ondipudhur, Coimbatore.

Disclaimer: I have not been to this place but I have heard from at-least 5+ different people that the food absolutely rocks. Almost every item is offered at a subsidized price and the food quality is absolutely great. For eg; Coffee is offered at 10 rs, Full - Unlimited Meals at 25 rs. This is quite cheap for Coimbatore. Heard that the tokens for meals vanishes faster and many a time they close lunch by 2 when it starts at 12.30. No parcels allowed for commoners but school kids can avail em if you come by school uniform.

Now what made me write about this place is that I heard that the Owner/chairman of this particular joint is a very philantropic person and he does a lot of very good things silently. Hvae to check out this place pretty soon.

ajithfederer
14th May 2012, 11:33 AM
Junior Kuppanna - Ram Nagar (Near City Towers, Coimbatore)

The setting is good. Perfect for la Familia's. Food is good too. A bit on the expensive side. They have all kinds of Non-VEG stuff. Found em to be good. Villan007, Unga area than. Have you been around here?./

19thmay
7th June 2012, 02:08 PM
Can someone suggest best seaside restaurants in ECR? Food type should be Indian, Veg and Non-Veg?

ajaybaskar
7th June 2012, 02:19 PM
Can someone suggest best seaside restaurants in ECR? Food type should be Indian, Veg and Non-Veg?

If budget isnt a constraint, then Fisherman's Cove..

Basera is good too. Basera Menu (http://www.basera-getaway.com/en/menu.html)

There is also a Delhi Dhaba (not seaside though) near the junction which goes to Sholinganallur.

19thmay
7th June 2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks Ajay, both Basera and Fisherman's cove restaurants are close to sea?

P_R
7th June 2012, 02:26 PM
appadiyE oru azhuththu azhuththuneengannA mahabalipuram.
Radisson-la oru sea-side restaurant irukku - wharf. Seafut nallA irukkum(nu kELvi). Credit card bill EMI-la kattikalaam.

19thmay
7th June 2012, 02:37 PM
Wharf @ Mahabs-a? ladies ellam varanga, return poganum.

Rules

1. Sea side
2. Veg and Non-Veg food irukanum
3. Indian style

Ungala ellam nambi naan choose panren-nu solli iruken, we are going tomorrow evening.

wizzy
7th June 2012, 02:39 PM
^+1 also try catch of the day...pricing is adequate when you consider its their Blu version..Chalet'la thangina konjam selavu agum :-)

ajaybaskar
7th June 2012, 02:40 PM
appadiyE oru azhuththu azhuththuneengannA mahabalipuram.
Radisson-la oru sea-side restaurant irukku - wharf. Seafut nallA irukkum(nu kELvi). Credit card bill EMI-la kattikalaam.

Radisson arumaiya irukkumnu sonnaanga. EMIla katura alavukku ellam bill varradhu doubt. Irukkave irukku buffet.. Enna onnu, 1905 romba urchaagamagi edhayachum kudichu tholaikkama irukkanum.

yup. both r close to sea.

19thmay
7th June 2012, 02:53 PM
sarakellam adikka maatom-nu nambuvomaaga.

P_R
7th June 2012, 03:01 PM
There's enough stuff for veggies at the wharf. naan pala thadavai pOyirukkEn.
Outdoor, seaside-la adhaan best.

But if you don't want to go that far I suggest: 9 feet high at Neelankarai. Rooftop, view of the beach, breezy. Drinks irukkum. Family allergy-nA prachanai.

La Waterina in Kottivakkam has a rooftop beachview restaurant. Seafood evvaLavu siRappA irukkumnu theriyAdhu.

P_R
7th June 2012, 03:05 PM
EMIla katura alavukku ellam bill varradhu doubt.

summA oru idhukku sonnEn.
I once took my team on an outing there. vaLarra pasanga lobster mEla aasaippattuttaanga.