PDA

View Full Version : Realism in Tamil Cinema...

Bipolar
16th June 2006, 01:26 AM
"Realism" in "Tamil films" - I know it seems hard to believe, but there have been some films in Tamil that were believable at least to a certain extent... e.g.

"Udhiri PookaL" by Mahendran - one of my all-time favourites
"Autograph" by Cheran - good, but not perfect
"Thavamaai thavam irundhu" by Cheran - again, good, but not perfect
"Veedu" by Balu Mahendra - I haven't seen the whole film, but from what I saw, it looked really good

I am talking about "realistic" films here, not just "good" films... e.g. Mani Rathnam's "Mouna Raagam" was really good, but I felt it wasn't totally realistic, so it's not included on this list.

Can you guys name any more?

Then there was Balu Mahendra's experimental TV series "Kadhai Neram" - quite impressive, but unfortunately short-lived

Any more that you guys can think of?

Then there are some films that are somewhere close to being believable but not totally - e.g. "Vedham Pudhidhu", "Mugavari", etc...

And what about the film "MogamuL"? I heard it was really good - I heard it won an award - but what is the film's story? What was so great about that film? I seem to remember the film didn't do commercially very well, but that's not surprising - good films never do well in Tamil Nadu...

Let's discuss further, guys...

Surya
16th June 2006, 01:44 AM
Pudhupettai by Selvaraghavan I hear is relistic to the Core. 8-)

ajithfederer
16th June 2006, 03:04 AM
i felt mahanadhi was realistic..........although very sad...... :cry:

svaisn
16th June 2006, 07:50 AM
what about kaasi??

ssanjinika
16th June 2006, 08:20 AM
Amongst recent movies ,I thought Pattiyal was very realistic esp the ending.Another true to life movie which comes to mind is Paneer pushpangal.Its been a while since I watched this movie but I Remember thinking that yeah it can happen in a kids life..

bingleguy
16th June 2006, 09:34 AM
Virumandi .................................................. .. Realistic !

rachel
16th June 2006, 09:36 AM
mugaveri

groucho070
16th June 2006, 10:14 AM
I saw an argument somewhere else...I think in Nadigar Tilagam Sivaji's thread, about what is realism.

Is it belieavable? If you cry watching a Sivaji movie, it means you believe in it.

Realism is subjective. Take Kuruthi Punal for example. It has no song at all, as realistic as you can go.

...but some people argue about the ending...how it differs from the original Throhkal. They cannot believe the ending...so to these people, its not realistic.

Haha. I hope I have not confused you people.

To me, some of Mahendrans earlier movie are very realistic, Uthiri Pookkal, Mullum Malarum and Johnny.

You should also check out many K. Balachander's movie. I believe most of you, including Rajini fans, never heard of a movie called Tappu Tallanggal. Its so realistic and its so ugly. I think the movie did not do well because it was too real.

Most of Kamals movie, if you throw out the song sequences, are quite realistic, beginning from Nayagan, Sathya and so on...until Kamal realise that people are not interested in realism and he switched to Masala (infusing realism and other entertainment elements) in flicks like Apoorva Sahotharargal.

Though I rarely watch new movies, I think the directors are careful enough to make sure that there are realism in the films. Only when during song sequences they let the fantasy out.

Alien
16th June 2006, 10:42 AM
Nammavar utterly realistic to the core !! Even that one fight was very realistic .... 8-)

Thevar Magan !!
Virumaandi , Mugavari , Kaathalukku mariyaathay, Vedham puthithu ..

bingleguy
16th June 2006, 10:57 AM
ou should also check out many K. Balachander's movie. I believe most of you, including Rajini fans, never heard of a movie called Tappu Tallanggal. Its so realistic and its so ugly. I think the movie did not do well because it was too real

:clap: good quote !

madhu
16th June 2006, 11:19 AM
many of the characters of "thappu thaLangaL" are available in our real life..

( of course, I heard KB got the inspiration for the movie from a guy whom he met )

Alien
16th June 2006, 11:35 AM
I remember reading somwhere that Kamal did a cameo/negative role/guest role in "thappu thaalangal" ? Did he ?? What role was that ? :roll:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th June 2006, 11:49 AM
"Realism" in "Tamil films" - I know it seems hard to believe, but there have been some films in Tamil that were believable at least to a certain extent... e.g.

there was a mallu movie i forgot its name.....the story is ......two persons will be sitting on a Thinnai of a house and will start discussing about some issue.....the will run into a contradiction and both will argue \discuss aggressively, sometimes the discussion will be lighter........it continues.........and finally they conclude in some way and end the argument, the film ends.........

thatsall. the camera wont move a bit, i think....there were no songs and no other character.........

i think no movie can be more realistic than this

groucho070
16th June 2006, 11:56 AM
I remember reading somwhere that Kamal did a cameo/negative role/guest role in "thappu thaalangal" ? Did he ?? What role was that ? :roll:

Yes, yes, a very memorable cameo.

He plays Saritha's 'client'. Two scenes. Huge thick soda butti glass, and a row of teeth spilling out of his upper lips. Drunk and Ugly. I can still remember him calling her, "Sarasu, sarasu". And he provides the comedy for the movie. The second scene has him coming when Saritha is married to Rajini, not knowing this. Rajini carries him out. (Rajini did this twice to Kamal, another time was in Ninaittalee Inikkum).

I think Kamal was paying back some kind of deal he made with Rajini (must be that Rajini appeared in guest role in Allavudinnum Arputha Villakkum)

madhu
16th June 2006, 12:01 PM
mm.. may be kamal got the inspiration for "kalyana raman" from the rabbit teeth of thappu thaLangaL

groucho070
16th June 2006, 12:06 PM
No. This is much worse than that. Kalyanaraman had rabbit-like teeth. This one has a bunch sticking out. You really ought to see it to appreciate it.

Too bad. I can't seem to get in in VCD/DVD over here.

Alien
16th June 2006, 12:30 PM

Yes, yes, a very memorable cameo.

He plays Saritha's 'client'. Two scenes. Huge thick soda butti glass, and a row of teeth spilling out of his upper lips. Drunk and Ugly. I can still remember him calling her, "Sarasu, sarasu". And he provides the comedy for the movie. The second scene has him coming when Saritha is married to Rajini, not knowing this. Rajini carries him out. (Rajini did this twice to Kamal, another time was in Ninaittalee Inikkum).

I think Kamal was paying back some kind of deal he made with Rajini (must be that Rajini appeared in guest role in Allavudinnum Arputha Villakkum)
Oh !!!! Thanks for the info :) ....
I should start searching for this movie !

romio
16th June 2006, 12:41 PM
I think Kuruthipunal have best realistic action scenes wellmade film technical and exhaustive :thumbsup:

groucho070
16th June 2006, 01:02 PM
Kuruthipunal is a rare flick...because it actually did well, made money. Can you believe it?

But Kamal dare not repeat that again...scary. Even his later realistic films have song sequences in it. But song sequences are acceptable these days...even Hollywood people are enjoying it and musicals are a trend again there.

As I said earlier, realism is subjective.

alwarpet_andavan
16th June 2006, 02:01 PM
Realism, thy name is "Kaadhal"!

swathy
16th June 2006, 03:59 PM
kadhal

swathy
16th June 2006, 04:07 PM
karuvelam pookkal

Unicorn
16th June 2006, 04:14 PM
Baba :D

groucho070
16th June 2006, 04:31 PM
I think Barathiraja took a shot in Anthi Mantharai - highly forgotten masterpiece (even ARR fans would have forgotten this movie).

Of course we can argue the certain existence of realism in early gramattu movie of BRs.

great
16th June 2006, 04:43 PM
I think Barathiraja took a shot in Anthi Mantharai - highly forgotten masterpiece (even ARR fans would have forgotten this movie).
Of course we can argue the certain existence of realism in early gramattu movie of BRs.

very true it had good theme music....

16 vayanthilae.
Mahanathi
Guna.
Many more to come

best
16th June 2006, 05:22 PM
6ilirunthu 60 varai..

best
16th June 2006, 05:23 PM
One of the few realistic movies of Rajini

best
Valli

best
Ponnumani

best
16th June 2006, 05:24 PM
Oru veedu iru vaasal

kamalsurya
16th June 2006, 06:14 PM
Kaakha kaakha :D

Hulkster
16th June 2006, 06:56 PM
Realism can be taken in different aspects as it is a broad topic. The first common type of realism is a decent presentation of a movie which is logical despite the story being heard before...thavamai thavamirindhu which was actually a realistic portrayal of family sentiments is one such example.

The next type of realism delves into emotions and tends to dig up human relationships which are usually termed as offbeat. Vishwa thulasi and Azhagi and Mahendrans Uthiri Pookal to a certain extent are examples of such movies.

The more rare but usually most innovative type of realism is introducing a brand new concept/story and fusing it with a logical screenplay. K Balachander's arangetram, aboorva raagangal delved into concepts which are not really explored by then directors. Virumaandi can be termed innovative due to the way its screenplay was done.

ajithfederer
16th June 2006, 07:13 PM
Guys what do u think abt the kamal action flick SATHYA

And my thalai's Mugavari.....

arent these relaistic ones? :roll:

kb
16th June 2006, 07:14 PM
ullam ketkumae :cry: kadhal garathu rendhu manasu sambantha patta vishayama irrukalaam aana kalyanam garathu rendu kudumbam sambanthapattathu.. shyam enaku maapillai paathachu.. doctor :oops:

bare truth :evil:

Bipolar
16th June 2006, 07:18 PM
I liked Mugavari, especially the ending. But it had a fight sequence, didn't it? That wasn't very realistic... But yes, otherwise, the film was really good...

ajithfederer
16th June 2006, 07:18 PM
anubavam pola irukkey............ :oops:

ullam ketkumae :cry: kadhal garathu rendhu manasu sambantha patta vishayama irrukalaam aana kalyanam garathu rendu kudumbam sambanthapattathu.. shyam enaku maapillai paathachu.. doctor :oops:

bare truth :evil:

kb
16th June 2006, 07:19 PM
enaku illa.. en nanbanukku :?

ajithfederer
16th June 2006, 07:23 PM
chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaae :evil: :twisted:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: @ for ur friend

enaku illa.. en nanbanukku :?

Ghlli
17th June 2006, 12:48 AM
no tamil film's ever realistic because in "real" life if anyone falls in love they dont suddenly compose a song and start dancing for it in a few days with their lover :rotfl: or even in the sad cases...its not true :roll:

kb
17th June 2006, 01:01 AM
who told.. they are only dancing in the dreams right.. we can also dream like we are dancing..

paatu thaaney unaku venum.. ippa naan ezhudharaen..

en aayul regai kuraigirathey..
en kannil vali en niraigirathey..
aval vazhi en vizhi eno azhaigirathey..
sol manamey unakulley intha kalavaram eno 8-) 8-)

Surya
17th June 2006, 01:06 AM
KB, :clap: :clap:

Athu eppidi machi?! Ellam ullenthu appadiye varathu thaan-le! :D :P

kb
17th June 2006, 01:10 AM
:lol: danks machi., :notworthy: :notworthy:

nammala.. nammalaiya herova potu.. oru heroine select panni.. screenplay ezhuthi.. manasu kullaiya 100 days padatha oti silverjubilee kondadra pasanga.. ithellam jujjupee..

Surya
17th June 2006, 01:17 AM
:lol: :lol: :D

ajithfederer
17th June 2006, 01:18 AM
Officela velayae illeyaa? :oops:

:lol: danks machi., :notworthy: :notworthy:

nammala.. nammalaiya herova potu.. oru heroine select panni.. screenplay ezhuthi.. manasu kullaiya 100 days padatha oti silverjubilee kondadra pasanga.. ithellam jujjupee..

kb
17th June 2006, 01:23 AM
multitasking,multi threading,parallel processing.. ithellam irrukono :D

ajithfederer
17th June 2006, 01:25 AM
among hearing music, chatting seeing football and movies a nnooooooooo :lol:

multitasking,multi threading,parallel processing.. ithellam irrukono :D

kb
17th June 2006, 01:33 AM
most imp Hubbing-a vittutey :lol:

P_R
17th June 2006, 01:38 AM
And what about the film "MogamuL"? I heard it was really good - I heard it won an award - but what is the film's story? What was so great about that film? I seem to remember the film didn't do commercially very well, but that's not surprising - good films never do well in Tamil Nadu...

Mogamul is the magnum opus of the late Tamil novelist Thi.Janakiraman.
To make a movie out of it was the lifetime ambition of an IAS officer: Gnanarajasekaran. He wrote the screenplay and directed the moviewhose filmmaking lasted nearly 3 years.

As is always the case, the movie was not a patch on the novel. Yet it was a very good attempt and Gnana Rajasekaran received the National Award for best debutante director. I don't think the film had a commercial release. GnanaRajasekaran went on to make Mugam and Barathi.

Mogamul had outstanding casting with the Abhishek (who now stars in serials) playing the lead role. Archana Joglekar and Nedumudi Venu played important roles in the film.

The most notable part were Ilayarajah's beautiful music. Five memorable numbers and a haunting background score. In fact the thrust of the movie was on the music rather than on the love, thus leading the movie away from the novel.

As far as realism goes, Mogamul scores very high. Thanks derived from two sources. The first being the natural flow and environment created in the novel. Secondly the story revolved around the musical quests of a youngster. So the songs found natural settings rather than being thrust in as escapades from the story.

Ghlli
17th June 2006, 02:23 AM
no no...some films actually dance in real! loads of vj films!
ungalku dreamlayaum dancing varuma? enaku padam thaan varumm...once ghilli padam enda dreamla odinathu...ootaeri nari muthu paandita matu padayka dream cut :cry:

wow periya song/poem writter pola!!!

who told.. they are only dancing in the dreams right.. we can also dream like we are dancing..

sol manamey unakulley intha kalavaram eno 8-) 8-)

Villan
17th June 2006, 08:25 PM
Mugavari
Virumaandi

swathy
23rd June 2006, 12:19 PM
Azhagi - esp the first half

abkhlabhi
4th July 2006, 01:34 PM
Metti directed by Mahendran is an realstic movie I have ever seen, since I most of the scene in that movie where I seen i my younger days opposite to my house, particularly Senthamari and SarathBabu characters. And Maro Charithra (Telugu) Frist half almost my similar to my life.

Raikkonen
4th July 2006, 08:27 PM
indru Poi Naalai Vaa..

I was used to sight my neighbour's daughter before moving to new house..

Sanguine Sridhar
4th July 2006, 09:02 PM
I believe

Old Visu movies,V.Shekar movies and Sivaji sir movies are realistic..

Today movies are fantsy, except some picks from Cheran!!

F.y.i 'Kaadhal' is a true realistic story happened at Madurai!

Raikkonen
4th July 2006, 09:17 PM
i watched Chidambara Ragasiyam (Visu- Sve- Kishmu combo)
Very nice movie..
Had a good story as well..
But was that a hit?

ArulprakasH
6th July 2006, 12:24 PM
KODAMBAKKAM ...

Muthal padam kodukka poradura Director, Producer's kastangalai arumaiya pathivu senjiruppanga..

swathy
6th July 2006, 12:33 PM
Bharathy

Shakthiprabha.
7th July 2006, 09:09 PM
is there in

CHERAN movies
BALACHANDAR movies
BALUMAHENDRA movies
OLD movies

selvakumar
5th June 2007, 11:50 AM
Except few unwanted scenes,

Chennai 28 is one of those very rare movies that portrayed chennai life and its surroundings in a realistic and natural way !

shobana_in
5th June 2007, 11:51 AM

Chennai 28 is one of those very rare movies that portrayed chennai life and its surroundings in a realistic and natural way !

exactly...

mareen
5th June 2007, 04:29 PM
no no...some films actually dance in real! loads of vj films!
ungalku dreamlayaum dancing varuma? enaku padam thaan varumm...once ghilli padam enda dreamla odinathu...ootaeri nari muthu paandita matu padayka dream cut :cry:

wow periya song/poem writter pola!!!

sol manamey unakulley intha kalavaram eno 8-) 8-)i am 100% sure you are srilankan, can see with ur tamizh :D

ajaybaskar
6th June 2007, 01:24 PM

S selva, particularly the accent of the lead actors..

mareen
12th June 2007, 12:00 AM
kadhal was real :)