PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

mythila
22nd September 2005, 11:18 AM
Ramki, "naan thedum paadham" is truly a wonderful find !!!
MD: Sirpy ? :o . This song alone has absolved him from the crime of his painful egyptian/persian/arabian aural attacks he has inflicted on hapless listeners.
Raga could be "malayamarudham" or something close to it
It is sad that with nobody like KJY around, this genre of songs is dying in TFM. UK , though good still lacks the depth of KJY.

SN23
22nd September 2005, 01:04 PM
RR, I accept your "He can sing really light also. Just listen to his astapathi's (there's one in mallu film 'gaanam' - beautiful). I guess kavikkuyil songs can be considered light too.".

No doubt on that. What I shared here was on BMK's film duets. I found him not a romantic mood creater-singer like SPBala or TMS etc. Otherwise, MD's would have been waited in Q to offer him duet songs. His solos are lovely, esp Mounathil viLayadum.

Ennai yaarum adikka vara maattaargaL endraal, I share my thought. BMK's kaadhal duets sound like Oru thanjavoor maamaa vesti kattikittu vethala-seeval mennukittu aayasamaa duet paadrappala irukkum. If he had sung "poongaatru thirumbumaa", I might have loved. GOD!!... NOM :-)

Ramki
23rd September 2005, 06:31 AM
Pick #171 & 172

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kottai_ct.rm
http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/arumba_ct.rm

Songs: arumbarumba and kottaiyvituu
Film: chinna thaiyi
Singers : Psuseela/SJanaki
Lyrics: ?
Music: iLaiyaraja

It was early 90s i think. On a lazy weekend, i started watching this unknown film called chinnathaiyi. All i know about the film is those 2 excellent songs 'naan aerikarai melirundhu' and 'kottaiyaivittu'.
Only into few minutes after the film started i was totally captivated. The film had a different look..im not sure how to explain it..you can call it say a different texture?
Its about a unwed mother, ostracized by a village, trying to protect her daughter from meeting the same fate as hers. Daughter does the same mistake the mother did. Does she end up like her mother?
The story was told very convincingly and interestingly by a debutant director(who?who?). The highlight of the film was the performances by highly underrated sabita anand(as the mom) and vinuchakravarthi(as the hero's father). Rajeswari played the daughters role while vignesh did her beau's character.
IR music was stunning. 'Kottaiyivittu' had 3 different versions.
The kids version(by UR , Minmini) etc is the popular one,SPB's a shorter one and SJ's the rare one.
'arumbarumba' is a nice lullaby (One cannot not help notice the aged voice of PS).

RC
23rd September 2005, 07:41 AM
Ramki: The director's name, I think, is Ganesapandiyan. Chinnathaayi was successful at box office and the director's next attempt was Maamiyaar veedu *ing Selva and another hero which was a flop, I think.

RR
23rd September 2005, 08:17 AM
arumbarumba is too good. I think it's in Mayamalava gowla. Can see shades of 'kuyila pudichu'.

rajdes
23rd September 2005, 09:40 AM
Also, arumbarumba reminds me of "Sondhamillai Bandhamillai" from Annakkili. That was also by PS.

balaji
23rd September 2005, 05:03 PM
Ramki

Thanks a million.

90s reminded me of Rakkai Koyil and Nangal also. Parthathenna to me is the finest SPB_Chithra Duet ever. Undhanin Paadal ennai engo kondu sella was always wonderful to hear...

If you have the clips and find them suitable, please host them.

Thanks for all the wonderful songs you host.

Bala

thumburu
23rd September 2005, 05:50 PM
Bala , who ids the MD of Raakai koil? Nangal?

vijayr
23rd September 2005, 07:30 PM
raakayi kovil was by IR. Undhanin paadal by Uma Ramanan is from that film

From Mars
23rd September 2005, 07:40 PM
naangaL was by IR.

Ramki, naan yEri karai mEl irunthu, had three version as well, one by KJY, one by SL and a duet by KJY, SL. 90's IR albums are like that.

balaji
23rd September 2005, 07:54 PM
Yes as VijayR suggested, these two films were by IR.

Nangal had Sivaji, Prabhu and Ramayana Seetha M.P. (whatever her name..). Must be a big flop, but that one song makes me never forget the movie name. Radio 6 and Oli had this song played almost every day

Bala

Thiru
23rd September 2005, 11:44 PM
raakayi kovil was by IR. Undhanin paadal by Uma Ramanan is from that film

Are you sure vijay?? I remember Ramki mentioning about VS being the MD for this movie... ramki, neenga recenta paatha movie aache.. so u can provide more info..:)
Naangal was by IR and I remember that one for sure..

FM, Erikarai had 3 versions and one was pathos version if I remember correctly..

The movie ends with some village superstitions like saami vettai etc which spoilt the good work done in the earlier part of the movie...

balaji
24th September 2005, 12:53 AM
Thiru Sir

'Undhanin Padal' is vintage IR. Listen to the violin piece and you will see IR's stamp.

Bala

From Mars
24th September 2005, 04:42 AM
Thiru :) raakaayi kOvil is by IR for sure. It was few of the albums that came under the label 'Raja'

Thiru
24th September 2005, 08:24 AM
periyavanga neenga ellam sonneenganna thappa irukkuma? i might have mistaken in with another movie (may be aatha un kovilile)...

thumburu
24th September 2005, 04:13 PM
Vijayr,From Mars, Balaji , thanks for the info. Ramki, count my request too for these songs along with Balaji's as I have not even even heard of these film names and where else can I hear them?

Ramki
24th September 2005, 07:03 PM
RC thanks. But as far as i know the movie was not a hit in Madras.

Thiru:) naan eppo sonnen??:) 'raakayi kovil' is indeed by IR . It had kasthuri and Selva in the lead.
I will definitely host these songs soon

RC
24th September 2005, 08:36 PM
Ramki: I watched Chinna Thaaye when I was in Trichy. And I think it was hit movie, may be except for Chennai. Adutha paata seekiram pOdunga..

Ramki
26th September 2005, 05:11 AM
Pick #173

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kaadhal_dr.rm

Songs: kaadhal raagam paadidum
Film: deva raagam
Singer: Chitra
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music: Maragathamani

I just love this piece. IMO one of chitras best. The melodious tune with excellent lyrics by VM makes it a great listen. Chitra beautifully brings out the pain expressed by the lyrics.

kanavil naan kandadhu
ninaivile kai serumo
mogathin theeyile urugidum en uLLam

kadantha kaalam meendum kaivarumaa
en nenjil
amaidhi tharumaa

kadantha kaalangaL
ada podum gnabangaL
idhaya vaasalil
azhiyaadha kolangaL
adhai eNNithaan
adhai eNNithaan
azhudhaen

The way chitra sings 'azhudhaen' is just great.
I watched the last 10 minutes of devaraagam and thought the film deserves more appreciation than it received. Sridevis performance in the climax scene was rivetting. IMO arvind swamy was the weakest link. If only Mohan lal had played that role, it would have got a new dimension.
The songs of DR were very good. I like almost all the songs.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/arulkan_aa.rm

Songs: arutkaN paarvai
Film: aanazhagan
Singer: Chitra
Lyrics: vaali
Music: IR

A short classical piece by IR. The scene was painfully horrific(saree wearing prashanth dancing). I think KRVijaya lipsyncs for the song.
Is there a full version of this song?

RR
26th September 2005, 08:36 AM
I remember watching 'arutkan' on tv but didn't pay much attention. As I listen more carefully, the first part seems in 'Simmendra madhyamam' (very similar to kaatrodu kuzhalin naadhame'). Later it changes I think.

Pity that carnatic songs have become made-for comic situations.

yvsmani
26th September 2005, 04:41 PM
Romba naal kazhichchu POW vanthaal, ada en favourtie Deva raagam songs irukku - my best pick is karuneela vandugal by PJ, chinna chinna, short and sweet chithra song (todays POW), yaayaaa yaadhava unnai and of course classical song by sujatha.

ramki : thiraikathai was quite boring. Raj TVil adikadi intha padam thiraiyiduvaargal. only grace is Maragathamani's music. have to listen a lot of missed POWs. chinna thaayee was a box-office hit, if I am correct. my best pick is arumbarumbaa and naan Erikarai - duet by KJY, SL. Ennamo kootaiya vittu pattai kettalae oru vitha veruppu.

Nitya
27th September 2005, 12:48 AM
"Arul Kan Paarvai" kicks off with raaga Simmendramadhyamam, and then, the charanam changes to Sarasaangi, and then back to Simmendramadhyamam.

vijayr
27th September 2005, 01:44 AM
ThirumagaL un mugam kaaNa, another devotional song by Arunmozhi composed for Veera by IR in Lalitha, was later used in a comic situation in Vanaja Girija. Veera had another short unreleased devotional - kaNNai thirandha karuNai kaar meghame, in Dharmavathi, a good song again sung by Arunmozhi.

Ramki
27th September 2005, 05:53 AM
Thanks RR and Nithya

YVSM, thiraikadhai pathi theriyalai but i thought the theme was good.

Do you know who sings the song in the film?

Ramki
27th September 2005, 06:09 AM
Pick #174

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/puthu_ar.rm

Songs: puthumugame siru madhu kudame
Film: antharangam
Singers: Psuseela, KJYesudoss
Lyrics: KaNNadasan?
Music: GDevarajan

I recently watched(for the first time) 'gnayiru oLi mazhaiyil'. It looked like one of the exercise videos you see on american television except that Deepa exactly didnt look like someone who exercised regularly:). It was just a typical 70s film song sequence that exploited the heroines curves and carbs :).
I think andharangam is Deepas first film. But from the lyrics of todays pick it sounds that she was popular even before(and than kamalhassan). The whole song is kindof dedicated to her(the 'Deepa deepa' line included:).

balaji
27th September 2005, 06:13 AM
Very nice song Ramki, Thanks

Another favorite of Ilangai Vanoli, hardly heard this song on madras/Trichy stations or on Vividh Bharathi..

Bala

Nitya
27th September 2005, 09:04 AM
I remember the song from an old KJY duets tape (the song "Puthumugame"). Another thing is that it's by one of my favorite MDs ever.

thumburu
27th September 2005, 10:53 AM
Devaragam, touted as Sridevi's comeback to southIndia was an eminently forgettable fare. Thanks to the visibly ageing Sridevi's desperate attempt to pass off as a teenage "dhaavani" queen, Arvindswamy with a "I have drunk castor oil" kind of face who could not act for nuts, pathetic characterization of Sri's husband, an irritating RevaLi. Only Sri's acting histrionics and MMKeeravani's lilting melodies saved Devaragam.
Both the picks are short and sweet. Esp the ending of "kaadhal ragam" makes me yearn for more

Ramki
29th September 2005, 03:58 AM
Pick #175

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/adiye_pp.rm

Song: adiye vanitha
Film: pookaLai parikaadheergaL
Singers: Psuseela,Sjanaki, SPB
Lyrics: TRajendar
Music: TRajendar

This is a rare combo of PS-SJ-SPB. The only other song i know in this combination is 'naan oru poNNoviyam'.
I like this song for its meaningful but playful lyrics. I think this is the first 'outside' film TR worked and he came up with some good songs.
'Maalai enai vattudhu' ,'pookaLaithaan parikadheenga','thozhikku thaan kalyaanam', 'solaigaLellaam' are some good numbers from PP
Nadhiya and Suresh were paired again for nth time. But like most of their films nadhiya was the real hero of the film. The film had a tragic end and it was a hit (super hit?).

RC
29th September 2005, 04:06 AM
Ramki: kiLinjalgaL should be the first outside film for TR. TR's films always had very good songs until Mythili ennai kaadhali.. adhukkappuram onnum thEralai...

balaji
29th September 2005, 07:03 AM
good song, thanks Ramki!

PP did run reasonably well in Pondy/Kadolre. Was it a super hit in citiies?

Bala

yvsmani
29th September 2005, 10:14 AM
ramki :
thozhikku thaan kalyanam pattu ketta gyabagamae illai. adiyae vanithavil SJ undaa... naan BSS endru ninaiththen.. neenga sonna sariyathaan irukkum. solaigal ellaam, maalai ennai vaatuthu, adiyae vanitha, pookkalai thaan parikkatheenga idhu thaan en paadal rating from PP. I think in madurai it was a superhit

SN23
29th September 2005, 02:13 PM
Ramki: Andharangam KJY-PS duet had musical merits and better spirit in singing. But Gnayiru oLi mazhaiyil became very popular, reasons being Kamal sang in his sondha kural, Deepa in Exercise postures :-), song sequence in colour (other parts of movie in B&W) etc. But PoW is my pick too :-)

Mani: Adiye vanitha had SJ with PS & SPB. BSS sang with PS & TMS in "Welcome hero happy marriage" song from indru pOl endrum vAzhga. Konjam confuse agitteengaLaa?

IMO, Adiye vanitha has vasanam, not lyrics for a song.

Ramki: PS, SJ and SPB along with TMS sang Ulagil irandu kiLigaL (KulamA GuNamA), correct-aa?

From Mars
29th September 2005, 08:08 PM
I thougth PP was a super hit movie. Ask RR about 'sOlaikaL ellam pookaLai thoova...' :) thOse the days that every single item would be named after nadhiya, sElai, kaapu, etc :)

Ganesh [shanker] appeared for 'pookaLai thaan paRikaatheenga' song.

RR
29th September 2005, 08:40 PM
FM, padam super-a duper-a theriyaadhu, but andha paattu super-ppa :thumbsup:

SN23, that's probably the only song in TMS-PS-SPB-SJ combo. Maniam@Oli puts it up once in a bluemoon. Not a great song, IMO. Just theoretical interest. The TMS-PS-SPB-VJ combo 'vaa ilamai azhaikkindrathu' was a better one.

balaji
30th September 2005, 04:58 AM
thanks YVSM

Bala

Ramki
30th September 2005, 06:19 AM
SN23 correct but 3 per mathram paadinadhu indha 2 songsthaanu ninaikkiren

Ramki
30th September 2005, 06:30 AM
Pick #176

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kannin_rr.rm

Song: en kaNNin maNiye
Film: RajaRajeswari
Singers: SPB , TKKala
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music: Shankar Ganesh

I always felt that SG mixed the styles of MSV and IR for this song.
Some even think this is an IR song. I love this song for SPB's singing. Who were the actors in Rajarajeswari? Sujatha, Jaiganesh,vijayakumar?

RC
30th September 2005, 07:34 AM
I have watched the movie as a kid and all I remember is this song. Muthuraman is the hero. I dont have any other info. I'm looking forward to any more details on the movie. SPB's singing is great in this song and a similar song (theme) in vaathiyar veetu piLLai - maNa maalayum manjaLum soodi.

balaji
30th September 2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the song Ramki!

'Kalai Pozhudhu vidindhadhu en Nenjathai pole' by SJ was a ergular feature in Ilangai Vanoli at 5:30 AM to 6:00 AM program. That song would sound like an MSV song.

I think Muthu acted in the film also...

Bala

From Mars
30th September 2005, 08:05 PM
was the film ever released?

mmm RC sonna sariyaa thaan irukkum :)

RC
30th September 2005, 08:42 PM
FM: oru nalla paata pathi thaane naan sonnen.. ungaLa maadhiri dubbing/dubba padam pathilaama solren? :)

aaraamthinai.com used to have a page with reviews for old movies from various magazines and I believe I have seen one for RajaRajeswari.

Ramki
3rd October 2005, 04:50 AM
Pick #177

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thodangum_mm.rm

Song: thodangum thodarum
Film: Mudisooda mannan
Singers: PSuseela, SPB
Music: Satyam

Thanks to Neel D for this song. He writes:

"thodanggum thodarum" was a very popular song in the late 70s when it
was released. The film "Mudisoodaa Mannan" starring Jaishankar
commercially did not live up to the hype created by the media. However, this
song played on the radio very frequently, more frequently than many other
popular songs of the time.

The lyrics tell a little bit of the story. That is, Jaishankar is a
commoner who is in love with a royalty, I guess a princess, played by
Sridevi. I personally find such Pocohontas stories very offensive, sexist
and condescending. But there is a lot of such stories around. Putting my
opinions aside, the song "thodanggum thodarum" in spite of all the
vallinams in the opening lines is a very soothing song. PS's sweet voice
softens the hard edges of the lyrics. Two other songs composed for
similar situation (rich girl, poor guy) that come to mind are "rOjA malarE
rAjakumAri", "pOvOmA UrkOlam". All three songs are nice songs and hit
songs.

One would easily assume that "thodanggum thodarum" is an MSV
composition but it actually is by Satyam, who was a popular music director in
Telugu films. No matter how talented the MDs were, Telugu film industry
never lets them prove their creative skills to the fullest. It always
churns out a lot of quick, run-of-the-mill songs. By no strecth of
imagination am I suggesting that only Tamil industry brought the best out of
Satyam, so don't jump on me.

By the way, this song disproves the claim made by someone that there is
only one song in the history of Tamil film music that has used the word
"avani".

thumburu
3rd October 2005, 11:29 AM
Ramki, you are right. I was under the wrong impression that "Mudi sooda... " was by MSV. If I remember correctly, there is also another nice melody with a 'kick'
"kaadhal bodhai kaNNil era
kaayum veNNila" by SPB and SJ

balaji
3rd October 2005, 06:34 PM
thanks NeelD and Ramki

I think it is Vaali's karpanai

Bala

rajeshkrv
4th October 2005, 12:34 AM
gr8 song
thanks ramki

baroque
4th October 2005, 06:05 AM
Life bore adikkaradhu :( Ramki!!! Please host a exquisite early IR song for me to enjoy! :) good day!

Ramki
4th October 2005, 06:14 AM
Thank you all for the details

baroque
4th October 2005, 06:17 AM
Ramki, I am searching for 'karpagavallinin porpathangal...' by TMS and 'kadaikkan noki...' Papanasam Sivan krithi, can you host it for me if have(chance kedaikkum podhu pannarelaa?) thanks vinatha

Ramki
4th October 2005, 06:29 AM
Pick #178

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vaada_rm.rm

Song: vaada en raaja
Film: Rishi moolam
Singer: SPShailaja

This song is not one of IR's greatest. But if he can give atleast one similar song now , i will be a happy person. The interludes are vintage 70's IR.
But the song sequence was highly irritating. A much younger reena trying to seduce a bloated and old sivaji was not fun to watch.
Apparently the 'raaja' in 'vaada en raaja' is meant for sivaji and not for the child she sings with. All the suggestive poses she gives during the duration of song could be any parent's nightmare who hires a young girl as a baby sitter.
Rishimoolam was another contrived ,totally unbelievable sivaji film of 70s and early 80s.
IR songs were the only saving grace.
Songs like
'neramidhu neramidhu'
'nenjil uLLa kaayamondru'
'aimbadhilum aasai varum'
and my favorite
'mazhai varuvadhu mayilukku theriyum'
made this one a great album by IR

Ramki
4th October 2005, 06:31 AM
baroque if i can find those songs i will send it you. Im planning to host only filmi songs here:)

tvsankar
4th October 2005, 10:43 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song.Beautiful composing!!!
All the suggestive poses she gives during the duration of song could be any parent's nightmare who hires a young girl as a baby sitter.
Nanum indha sceneai partha podhu indha madhiri feel panni irukaen!!! :lol:

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

balaji
4th October 2005, 05:26 PM
Ramki

Thanks for presenting this wonderful composition. When the film was released, this song was not my favorite. However the interludes has made me like this song and has turned out to one of my favorite...

Even though the songs were badly picturized (Aimbadhilum, and Neramidhu were atroicous.), the movie based on Visu's (I think) drama was not bad at all..

Bala

jn
5th October 2005, 03:01 AM
thanks ramki. vaada en raaja kaNaa song romba naaLaikkappuram kEkkiren. nalla vELai naan padam paarkkalai:)
mazhai varuvadhu innum nalla irukkum:)

Ramki
5th October 2005, 04:21 AM
Dear Ramki,

I am one of the regular visitor of your page. You are doing an excellent job. Certainly great picks these are !

I am getting an error message for the today's song Vaada En Raaja Kanna. [Can you send me the mp3 or real audio file of the above to my email id ramasamis@yahoo.co.in ? ].

Also, I want to make certain requests to you for IR's gems of the same period like Rishi moolam. Vetrikku Oruvan is one such film which contains songs of TMS like "Thoranam aadidum", "Muthamizh Charame", "Aadal Padalil" and "Yaar Mamano" . I hope you can get some of these and will share here.

I will send my other such requests later.

Regards

CSRamasami

Did anyone else had this problem?(Esp those browsing from India)

Ramki
5th October 2005, 05:15 AM
Pick #179

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/iravu_ou.rm

Song: iravu paadagan
Film: oorukku uzhaippavan
Singer: KJYesudoss
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Music: MSV

Easily one of the best song of MGR and/OR by KJY. It's short but very addictive. The song totally depends on KJY's voice and he sure made it a winner.
In fact all songs from 'Oorukku uzhaippavan) were excellent.
'azhagenum oviyam inge',
'idhuthaan mudhal raathiri',
'piLLai thamizh paadugiren'
are very good numbers.
I must have been 7 or 8 yrs old when i watched this film. I vaguely remember the storyline..MGR dual role. One is married to Venniraadai nirmala(who i think is a heart patient in the film) but kidnapped by villains. The other MGR, married to Vanisree , will later act as venniradai nirmalas husband. Vanisree-second MGR will have a son together and he will die etc etc.

From Mars
5th October 2005, 05:18 AM
Ramki,

'piLLai thamizh paadukirEn' illai :) athu
'pillai thamizh paadukirEn
oru pillaikaaga paadukirEn' ;) mmmm

Nitya
5th October 2005, 08:35 AM
This song is not one of IR's greatest. But if he can give atleast one similar song now , i will be a happy person.

Oh, don't I agree!

RR
5th October 2005, 09:36 AM
Ooruvukku uzaippavan is definitely one of the excellent albums in MGR-MSV combo. I like 'iravu paadagan', but 'ithu thaan mudhal raathiri' happens to be my favorite. My other favorites in MGR-MSV-KJY combo: 'neela nayanangalil', 'thendralil aadum','vizhiye kathai ezhuthu'. Enna oru melodies... To quote gemini, 'thenodu kalandha thellamudhu, kola nilavodu serntha kulir thendral' 8-)

SN23
5th October 2005, 10:59 AM
Ramki,

'piLLai thamizh paadukirEn' illai :) athu
'pillai thamizh paadukirEn
oru pillaikaaga paadukirEn' ;) mmmm

Ramki, FM:

It is not even 'pillai thamizh paadukirEn'.

Jesu sings it as 'pillai thamie paadukirEn' that zha will be missing :-)

Some more good MGR-KJY combination OndrE kulam endru paaduvOm, indha pachai kilikkoru (not KiLi), Thendralil aadum... gems.

thumburu
5th October 2005, 11:55 AM
"vaada en raaja kannaa" has a very innocent appeal and like many have stated here, the interludes with liberal flute are just mind blowing. . When I was in my school days, I used to just wait with bated breath for the second interlude- the long flute drawl ,the violin ensemble piece that comes soon after that , the guitar round up , well , these are the features that used to distinguish IR from the rest

tvsankar
5th October 2005, 09:10 PM
Dear Ramki,
One more thanks for the great song!!! Beautiful lyrics! Ovvoru time ( rare aga than kettu irukaen) indha songai ketkum podhum, ivvalavu seekiram mudiyaradhae nu thonum!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
6th October 2005, 06:45 PM
Ramki,
Thanks for featuring my submission "thodangum thodarum".
Also thanks for all the other rare songs you (and others) are presenting.

Balaji,
You are welcome.

jn
6th October 2005, 09:33 PM
iravup paadagan is one of my favourite songs of KJY. kEttaale pOdhum, manadhil oru amaidhi varum..night time le kEttaal, seekiram thookam vandhurum:)

vijayr
6th October 2005, 10:45 PM
KJY sang some of his best melodies for MSV/Vkumar/Vijayabhaskar/Others in the mid-70s. Ramki, the following are noteworthy which you may consider for hosting some time:

1. thaane thanakkuL rasikindraaL-MSV-perum pughazhum
2. inangaLile en Inam for V.Kumar
3. Thangaththil udaleduthu - MSV - meenava naNban

From Mars
7th October 2005, 03:10 AM
wow jn ku kooda KJY paatu pudichirukku :)

there are good not so popular KJY songs in late 80's.

ippadiyum nadakkum endru... (raasaathi kalyaaNam) MSV
nooli aadum bommai 2 (iniya raaja ) (VSN)
kaNNeeraalE vithiyin kaikaL (enakOr needhi) (VKumar)

Ramki, one week ku KJY special potirunga ;)

baroque
7th October 2005, 03:43 AM
[tscii:c6c7404c56]
“Vaada en.....” good pick Ramki!! This song has good amount of flute works! I watched the movie but unable to recall the scene, anyway.. Yenakku indha pattu romba pudikkum.
Rishimoolam songs are excellent!!
Neramidhu neramidhu.... Susheela and TMS!! What an amazing, romantic song! Yenna arumaiyaana lyrics, slow tabla beats , mesmerizing tune, Susheela (konji konji paaduvo) and TMS voiceley dhaan yenna oru bhaavam, I love K.R.Vijaya ( She is beautiful!!! she sits in that oonjal with her kid romba azhagaa yeruppa) Sivaji asadu vazhivaa. Shri..IlAYARAAJA is Great!!

50dhilum aasai varum.... What a catchy tune, first interlude is my favorite,TMS sings with lilt, meaningful lyrics! Upbeat song!

Mazhai varuvadhu....Mind blowing speedy Raaja pattu with excellent mirudhangam, breezy flute, racy violin, veena , Janaki’s voice, Early Ilayaraaja is indeed special! thanks , vinatha.[/tscii:c6c7404c56]

Ramki
7th October 2005, 05:07 AM
Thank you all. Due to high demand :roll: one more KJY song(requested by vijayr)

Pick #180

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/gangai_nm.rm

Song: gangai nadhi meeno
Film: nyayam
Singers: Sjanaki, KJYesudoss
Music: Gangai Amaran

I often see people crediting IR for this song but i firmly believe GA was the MD for Nyayam.
Nyayam had Prabhu and Nalini. This song was popular in VB during the movie's release.
I have no knowledge of other songs from this film.

vijayr
7th October 2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks Ramki. Apart from rajaangahm.com, projectGEM who have been releasing IR's rare songs in CD have included Nyayam in their release here http://project-gem.tripod.com/releases/release7.html
Unless they made an error I guess it has to be IR.

Surprised to note that there was a high demand for this song(apart from my request). I requested it as I hadnt listened to it in ages and remembered just the pallavi being decent. Hmm..listening to it again now, it sounds like a typical mid-80s IR song, nothing too special about it.

baroque
7th October 2005, 06:16 AM
Ramki, Let me join too with my favorite early KJJ songs!!
1. 'Gangai yamunai...' with Vani
2. Naayagan avan orupuram....with Janaki
Thirupparkadalil..... Ramki, host pannitelaa this pattu? What a gem!!
3.thangath thoniyiley...
4.kanchippattu uduthi...
5.Vizhiye kadahi yezhudhu... MGR film song!
Now early KJJ songs in Shri.Ilayaraaja's music!
6.kannan oru....
7.poovezhi vaasalil....Deepam
8.yedho ninaivugal... romantic humming and lyrics too!! Second interlude has amazing guitar works.
9.sri devi yen vaazhvil... Divine!!

balaji
7th October 2005, 06:30 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the song! Niyam is by IR Ramki. There was another moved called Niyayam Ketkiren which I think was GA.

I somehow felt the song somehow startes abruptly, but the interludes (though nothing spectacular and novel), still makes me like the song

Thanks
Bala

From Mars
7th October 2005, 10:03 AM
vijayr,
I also felt like IR.
Oriental also made several errors before; Chinna thambi periya thambi was attributed to IR, so does naaLellam pournami. Both are by GA.

tvsankar
7th October 2005, 12:25 PM
Dear Ramki,
Innum sila KJY songs ellam nanraga irukum.
1.Veenai pesum adhu meetum viralgalai kandu

2. GAngai nadhi oram raman nadandhan

3. Katrinilae perum katrinilae

4.Brova bharama in Kavari maan

5.Vaanamenum veedhiyilae - Annai velankanni

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

thumburu
7th October 2005, 12:35 PM
The audio quality of "Gangai nadhi meeno" is bad.
"sapthaswaram punnagaiyil kanden" song is similar in tune to "thodangum thodarum" song (cinema kalyani perhaps) .

sss
7th October 2005, 03:10 PM
Music Quality mattu illai, startingla varum musickkum kanagna poivittadhu

Ramki
10th October 2005, 05:31 AM
Pick #181

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kannum_ppv.rm

Song: kannum kannum
Film: poo parikka varugirom
Singers: Sujata, Srinivas
Music: Vidyasagar

This is Thiru's request. I think this is the first Srinivas song in POW.
I'm listening to the song for the first time. after first few minutes i decided thiru has sent the wrong file :). Then slowly the tamil lines popped up.
PPV was nadigar thilagams last film?? I have read 3 different people saying they acted with sivaji in his last film ..one is super star(padaiyappa) , second is ajay(hero/producer of ppv) and third is arjun(i forgot the name of the movie but its the one he acted with late soundarya in it).

jn
10th October 2005, 11:04 PM
I am listening to this the forst time too:)
The Arjun Soundharya movie with sivaji is mannavaru chinnavaru.

Ramki
11th October 2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks JN

Ramki
11th October 2005, 04:29 AM
Pick #182

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/nenjinile_cr.rm

Song: nenjinile ninaivu mugam
Film: chitraangi
Singers: Jamuna Rani, PSuseela, TMS
Lyrics: kaNNadasan?
Music: Veda

First and foremost I apologise for the poor audio quality. This is the best i could do .

Coming to the song, this is one of Vedas original(i hope). A beautiful melody sung by the three legends.
I remember seeing this song in Oliyum oliyum. It was picturised on Pushpalatha(PS), AVMRajan(TMS) and Sheela(JR). This song was often played on radios. Do they still? Not sure.

RR
11th October 2005, 09:32 AM
Pooparikka varugirom is older. Sivaji's last release is 'mannavaru chinnavaru'. It's a dub, but I think some scenes were reshot. Mano has sung for sivaji in this movie.

thumburu
11th October 2005, 02:29 PM
The song from "Poo parikka varugirom" is a cool, breezy pre Dhool/Gilli/Tirumalai VS number . With a tinge of "Manirangu", Iam sure Srinivas got inspired by this one for his "naanaaga naan illai" of "hey nee romba azhaga..." film.

From Mars
11th October 2005, 07:26 PM
Mano also sang for sivaji in few other film :) eg. Dhambathyam
IMO, the best suited voice for sivaji after TMS is MV.

RR
11th October 2005, 08:22 PM
We of course have to agree. Who knows better about "Mano" than you? :D

From Mars
12th October 2005, 02:30 AM
RR :lol:

actually, the song is 'adhikaalaiyil kuyil koovuthu', MD. Manoj Giyan. I can't recollect the details of the movie.

RC
12th October 2005, 03:09 AM
Sivaji's Portions in Mannavaru Chinnavaru were reshot, I think. konji pEsu konja nEram kuLira koodum kOdai kaalam is a nice song with Arjun and Soundharya.

Ramki
13th October 2005, 04:42 AM
Pick #183

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/engirundho_ev.rm

Song: engirundho vandhaan
Film: engirundho vandhaan
Singer: SPB
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

The 2 legends of TFM joined forces again for this so so tamil adaptation of a hit Mohanlal malayalam film(chithram?).
The songs were not ground breaking but they were definitely soul pleasing.
Todays pick is a perfect example.
According to old TFMer Geetha this song is based on a rare raaga 'GAANA HEMAVATHI', which according to her, is similar to ABHERI, but has prominent Prathi madhyamam

Vaali and SPB join hands with MSV-TKR for this marvel.

I did watch this film. It was kind of silly. Sathyaraj will be chosen to act as Roja's husband to please some rich grandfather. Predictably Roja falls in love with Sraj. But SRaj is a escaped convict. He is charged with murdering his Wife's(aamni) murderer.

V-R duo came up with 4 good songs.
'nilave vaa azhaikkudhu azhaikkudhu vaanam'(SPB,KSC)
'mounam enbadhu kavidhai mozhi'(SPB, SJ)
'andha sreeraman seedhaikkuthaan'(Swarnalatha, Mano) and
todays pick

vijayr
13th October 2005, 05:25 AM
Good one. At the time it came, it must have been one of the very rare compositions to have actually made SPB work a bit.

Thiru
13th October 2005, 05:31 AM
Thanks for honoring my request Ramki... :)

RR
13th October 2005, 08:02 AM
Wonderful song. I used to think it's in Sumaneesa ranjani, but Geetha may be right. There's a Dha touch in the avarohanam.

There's one more (pathos) song by SPB 'oru koottil kiLiyaaga'.

thops
13th October 2005, 08:09 AM
the ending is just like the bale pandiya song...

rajeshkrv
14th October 2005, 01:10 AM
good songs

chitrangi also had lyrics by vaali and other person not kannadasan

Ramki
14th October 2005, 07:10 AM
Pick #184

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/then_km.rm

Song: then thoongum poove
Film: kodai mazhai
Singer: SJanaki

Heres the beautiful solo i have been ratting on couple of months ago.
We discussed another song from 'kodai mazhai' here

http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

tvsankar
14th October 2005, 11:06 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thank you for the song!! Hardly 15 years kazhithu indru indha songai ketaen.Ennoda favourite no of IR composing!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

balaji
15th October 2005, 05:23 AM
great song Ramki!

Illayaraja was really Lucky to have SJ sing a number of memorable solos for him. The reverse is true too.

I just wish I have all her solos under IR's baton.

Thanks Ramki for a sweet song for the weekend

Bala

Neel D
16th October 2005, 07:39 PM
Ramki,
Thanks for the beautiful song "nenjinilE ninaivu mugam". Listening to it after many many years. For some reason I always thought that this song was a TMS & Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi duet. Or may be I confused with another song.
thEn thUnggum is a nice song eventhough it sounds very much like "thEnE thenpANdi mInE".

Ramki
17th October 2005, 04:12 AM
Thank you Usha shankar, Bala and Neeld

Ramki
17th October 2005, 04:20 AM
Pick #185

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/oruooril_tt.rm

Song: oru ooril oomai raaja
Film: theerpugaL thiruthapadalaam
Singer: PJayachandran

Director Bhaskar's 'TheerpugaL thiruthapadalaam' was a gripping thriller. It was entirely different from his previous venture ' thandikkapatta nyayangaL". TT was a decent success at BO. His next film 'pournami alaigaL' was another good film. All three films had Sivakumar in the lead. After a gap he did 'sattathil thirappuvizha' with karthik and shobana which did not do well.

TT also had Ambika, sathyaraj, sathyakala and Baby Meena. Todays song is picturised on Sivakumar and Meena.

balaji
17th October 2005, 05:37 AM
Nice lyrics by Pulamai sir (as always). As usual SG's song goes in all directions...

Because of the good success of the movie this song and the the more famous 'Ragam Thanam pallavi' (the SPB VJ DUET) had decent air time...

Thanks Ramki
Bala

thumburu
17th October 2005, 12:47 PM
Ramki, kodaanu kodi nandRi for unearthing "then thoongum poove". What a simple, honey soaked lullaby !!!
Some of Bhaskar's crime thrillers were quite decent and watchable like TT, "Sattathin thirappu vizhaa". I prefer them to today's so called slick crime thrillers like Ghajini, Anniyan, Kaaka kaaka with all style , big logic holes and no substance .
As Balaji said, "Ragam thaanam pallavi" is a pleasant duet too. SG was Bhaskar's aasthaana MD. His rerecording in "Dhandikkapatta NyayangaL" was noteworthy

RC
17th October 2005, 06:59 PM
Ramki: I thought TheerpugaL thiruthapadalaam came before Dhandikkapatta NyayangaL. Was NijangaL(?) (cant remember the name - starring Sivakumar, Rajiv, Radhika , Menaka - the movie with the song mouname nenjil naaLum nee ezhudhum by KJJ) by Baskar too? TT, DN, PA were all good movies. I wish he made more movies.

balaji
17th October 2005, 07:25 PM
RC:

ISn't "mouname nenjil naaLum nee ezhudhum by KJJ" from panneer Nadhigal?

bala

vijayr
17th October 2005, 10:10 PM
balaji, that song is from Urangaadha ninaivugaL

balaji
18th October 2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks Vijayr for correcting me..

'Pani vizhum paruva nila, bharathamum Aduthe' was the Panneer Nadhigal song. Got confused. Another MB, Sivakumar combo, I believe with Amala.

Is the banner OSCAR movies that produced MBaskar's movies, the same as the banner that is currently under Oscar Ravichandran. I however remember the symbol to be different. Some circle with some decorations, I think

bala

RC
18th October 2005, 02:48 AM
vijayr: Thanks! Is urangaadha ninaivugaL by Bhaskar? I think so.

Ramki
18th October 2005, 04:23 AM
RC you might be correct. I was under the assumption that after a thriller(tt) became a hit bhaskar wanted to follow with more thrillers like PA etc.

Ramki
18th October 2005, 04:34 AM
Pick #186

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/yaaridhu_ok.rm

Song: yaaridhu devathai
Film: oorkuruvi
Singer: SPB
Music: Gangai Amaran

I'm pretty sure all of us have 'fond' memories of watching the worst film of the millenium. Mine is oorkuruvi.
My obstinate college friend shakthi dragged me into the cinema for this horrible film. He has the bad habit of watching atleast one film per week. It doesnt matter what kind of film it is.
You remember the Deepan guy from mudhal mariyadhai? HE is one of 'oorkuruvi's hero. Arun pandian is the other.
Manjula's niece Sindhu(late?) was paired with deepan and Madhuri was AP's heroine.
Songs by GA were stunning. Apart from todays wonderful song there were 2 more beautiful solos by SJ. I remember one 'azhagiya poomagaL'. Cannot recall the second one.

You must watch the picturisation of todays song to actually believe it. Madhuri and AP will compete each other in revealing their physique(not kidding). Ap in a skimpy underwear and Madhuri with a kercheif sized towel. Madhuri will then shake her body like an epilepsy patient . Bharathanatiyam can never be more crass and crude.

RC
18th October 2005, 05:03 AM
Ramki: Naanum indha padatha paathirukken :( I (am glad that) dont remember anything about this movie other than the cast. anegamaa FM padathOda kadhaya solluvaar-nu ninaikkiren.. :)

From Mars
18th October 2005, 08:53 AM
RC :lol:
naan indha padathai patri kELvi patathE illai :)

balaji
18th October 2005, 05:03 PM
Good choice Ramki!

I have heard this song many times earlier. GA surprises me often.

Bala

Ramki
19th October 2005, 05:04 AM
RC, FM :lol:

Ramki
19th October 2005, 05:19 AM
Pick #187

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/orumai_ks.rm

Song: orumaiyudan ninadhu
Film: konjum salangai
Singer: sulamangalam Rajalakshmi
Lyrics: vaLLalar
Music: SM Subbaiyah Naidu

'singaara velane' became so popular that it almost eclipsed the other good songs from konjum salangai. Todays pick is one. Sjanaki and SR were made to sing for Savithri(probably one and only time?). SR sound so good in this song. The sangathis and brighas are just perfect. Unfortunately the song is a very short piece :(

I think KS was nadigaiyar thilagams 100th film. according to my mom, the film was a flop. It also had Gemini and Kumari Kamala.

Dont forge to click on the link below.
It has some nice details on SMSN

http://www.tfmpage.com/ppp/sms.html

RR
19th October 2005, 08:14 AM
Cool.. this one is in Bilahari. 'Konjum salangai oli kettu' (in kaanada) is another very popular song.

balaji
19th October 2005, 03:21 PM
Excellent Song!

I have seen this song used in my sister's college dance programm and got an award.. (for the expressive dance ofcourse)

Didn't Konjum Salangai had the record running for most number of days in Madras Devi Complex for quiet some time. Ofcourse since the movie was produced by Devi Theatres, you are never sure, if this was made to RUN rather than RAN.
Or as usual I am conufsed with some other movie.
(2 other movies Devi produced that I know of are Nenjathai Kilaldhe and Thendrale Ennai Thodu)

Bala

Ramki
21st October 2005, 05:50 AM
Bala i didnt know devi theatre were into film production. Thanks for the details

Ramki
21st October 2005, 05:58 AM
Pick #188

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vaanil_um.rm

Song: vaanil vaazhum devathai
Film: uruvangaL maaralaam
Singers: SPB, Vani Jairam
Music: SVRamanan

One of my favorite SPB-VJ duets. As far as i know, SVR did music for only for 'uruvangaL maaralaam'. UM had 2 more good songs
'kaamanukku kaaman'(SPB) and
'aandavane unnai vandhu sandhikka vendum'(MSV).

UM i believe is tamil adaptation of 'bruce almighty'. A very interesting film with YGMahendran and Suhasini in the lead. God's role was performed by different superstars like nadigar thilagam, Kamal, rajini etc.
Inspite of multiple star attraction the film did not do well.
Todays song is picturised on Raghavendra(Rajini's BIL) and Kuyili

rajraj
21st October 2005, 06:07 AM
Good choice! My source lists this as a hit along with 'nenjil or aalayam' and a few other movies. That year nenjil or aalayam was the best, in my opinion.

mythila
21st October 2005, 12:43 PM
"Konjum Salangai" is one of my favourites in TFM. Sulamangalam's brihas are amazing How I wish a full fledged bilahari song followed this "virutham"!!!

balaji
21st October 2005, 04:25 PM
Great song Ramki!

Loved this song and "Kamanukku Kaman' song (SPB will freak out. Once can see how much Liberty SPB can take in a non-IR song)

Are you sure it did not do well. It did touch 100 days in Madras.

I cherish this movie because as a young boy, 2 tickets to this film (from my savings ofcourse) was my gift to my parents' 25th marriage anniversary

Bala

vijayr
21st October 2005, 07:44 PM
UruvangaL maaralaam is inspired from Oh! God which came in 1979.

Neel D
21st October 2005, 09:59 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for the two lovely songs "orumaiyudan" and "vAnil vAzhum". That is one veNkala kural (SR) followed by another veNkala kural (VJ). "vAnil vAzhum" is a beautiful composition. Hats off to S.V.Ramanan. However, SPB's alattal is borderline annoying.

Thiru
21st October 2005, 11:57 PM
UruvangaL maaralaam is inspired from Oh! God which came in 1979.

You are right vijay.. Uruvangal maaralam was heavily isnpired from Oh God...

Great song Ramki.. I remember listening to this song as a kid and havent listened to this song for a loooooong time, but once I heard the first stanza, I could recognize it..

btw, is 'mandhiram sonnen vandhuvidu' from vedham pudhidhu inspired from this one?? :wink:

Naaz
22nd October 2005, 03:25 AM
Ramki -

This one's a keeper! The "Nee Thottadhum Podhumaa..." shift is lovely. As Neel D says, SPBs soothing tone does not really need all the excessive inflections and prolongations, but it has become customary for him to sing each and every song (particularly softer solos/duets) with these fake signatures. I've always wondered what might compel him to do so?

A good contrast point is the male / female voicing of the "Nee Thottadhum..." Was that supressed chuckle essential? And that's just one moment. In a song like Nilaavae Vaa all these "excessories" are absent - and still how the song moves and touches like a burning spear!

Thanks for this fine duet!

RC
25th October 2005, 04:05 AM
Ramki: Is it possible to compile all the POW links into one page? It would be easier to navigate and listen the songs hosted in the past.

Ramki
25th October 2005, 05:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your inputs,corrections and details.

RC thats a good idea. I will talk to RR and see what we can do

Ramki
25th October 2005, 05:39 AM
Pick #188

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/mazhai_sp.rm

Song: mazhai megam moodum neram
Film: sakkarai pandhal
Singer: Asha Bhosle
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran ?

Nishanthi/shanthi Priya was the face of mid 80s. With a block buster like enga ooru paatukaaran she had quite a few offers but nothing really clicked.
I think sakkarai pandhal followed immediately after EPK.
It was not a hit(ok i know i shouldnt be talking about BOX office status anymore.Im not getting them correct at all :)).

After few dumb shows in tamil ,she moved to Bollywood and was quite successful there.

Who is the male lead in SP?

In spite of Asha B's tamil , i love todays pick. The melody is unbeatable.

RC
25th October 2005, 05:55 AM
Sakkarai pandhal - the name seems to be familiar. Was this movie KalyanKumar's comeback into Tamil as a respected Big man in a village. I believe Chandrasekhar was in the cast too. Any info on the hero, heroine etc?

Ramki: A play list from the link will be much appreciated. Chithappaarala mudiyaathadhu edhuna irukkuma?

balaji
25th October 2005, 06:12 AM
I thought trowser was the hero in the movie. The movie had the Vedam Onga song by K Veeramani?

Great song Ramki..

Bala

RR
25th October 2005, 07:52 AM
RC,
Oh irukke.. IR/ARR bashing.. I can't stop it.. :lol: (Not that I despo want to.)

Let's see how to prepare the list. May need help from you guys..

tvsankar
25th October 2005, 08:51 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song.Morning work pressure la indha songai kettu, pressure ellam kanamal pochu.
Beautiful melody.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

From Mars
25th October 2005, 07:58 PM
Good song, I was searching for this song. It's trouser and Nishanthi. Another excellent song in this movie, 'vEdham Onga isai naadham' by IR.

SN23
25th October 2005, 11:33 PM
Ramki, my opinion is indha pAttukku Asha-vai mumbaiyil irundhu irakkumadhi seidhu pAda vaiththirukka vEndumA? IR many times did this crossing boundaries (ex: Latha's song in Anand). Oru SJ or VJ could have easily did a good job. Asha swallowed many words as well as interest of the listeners. NOM :-)

Ramki
26th October 2005, 05:18 AM
I think 'vedam onga' was picturised on Nambiar. Are you ramarajan was the hero?

SN23 :)

Ramki
26th October 2005, 05:56 AM
Picks #189 and 190

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kailai_rd.rm

Song: kailai malai ootraanadhu
Film: Raaga devathai
Music: KVMahadevan

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thanga_rd.rm

Song: thanga vennilaa vaa
Film: Raaga devathai
Singers: PSuseela, BVasantha
Music: KVMahadevan

Im still top of my friend's hate list. Reason? I forced him to watch 'raaga devathai'.
That was the time, thanks to DDs sunday regional film show i was totally into all films that was not in tamil. Esp telugu, malayalam films. After watching swarnakamalam, sapthapathi, sithara , grihapravesam etc etc i couldnt wait for next telugu film to release in TN.
SO when Kovais KG complex screened raagadevathai i couldnt resist. For nerds like us KViswanath-KVM was a hip combo . And i have read great reviews on the telugu original 'sirivennela'. How can i miss it?
My friend was totally skeptical.
Suhasini? who wants to watch suhu?(We were members of antisuhasini club).
But i explained to him the greatness of KViswanath and the songs and reminded him about the only telugu film he has ever watched(yeah sankarabaranam).
We went to the theatre(it was shown only in the mornings). There were very few souls in the cinema.

The film started very well. Suhasini is a deaf and dumb girl who takes interest in a blind flautist/singer(sarvadaman banerjee of adishankaracharya fame) . The hero visits his native village with his sister(Nithya now busy with mega serials).
The film starts with the first song. Beautiful number. The picturisation was amazing. I think it was picturised in Jaipur/Rajasthan.

I made a right choice, i thought. I was so proud of myself:).
Then came another song. WHich was good too. Then another then another..ok now i started worrying.

Very less was happening in the story. Suhu and saudaman become friends. He tells her about a devathai(moon moon sen) he worships.
Each song that came after this was about the hero describing his raaga devathai.

The second song of todays pick was picturised on Nithya and Baby Meena. Meena played the role of a blind girl(yeah truly..i don think that was the year of physically handicapped either )

Anyways , Interval came nothing really happened in the story.
My friend was ready to leave but i forced him hoping something will happen after interval.

Well only thing that moved were people walking out of the cinema hall. I was relentless. I stayed till the end.
If you are still interested in the story, this is what i remember.
Moon moon sen will visit her bhakta. but she is not as chaste as the hero believes. Either she was raped or something ( i dont remember). She commits suicide on the day of her marriage. Ofcourse she donates her eyes to his bhakthan who later stands by her pyre at the last scene
shubam vanakkam getlost.

No wonder my friend hates me.

The telugu original was critically acclaimed. But the tamil version was just boring.
Lost in translation? Maybe.

sirivennella received few Nandi awards. Lyricist Sitarama sastry is still fondlyknown as sirivennella Sitarama sastry . I think KV introduced him in this film.

The link below has the film still's

http://www.bonkanwa.com/Entertainment/IndianMovies/TelguMovies/Alphabet/S/SiriVennela.htm

However was the film, the songs were great.
You will know when you listen to them

Thiru
26th October 2005, 06:55 AM
ramki
Everyone has this kinda experience in their life... I was forced by my friends to watch 'Raajali' :lol:..

sss
26th October 2005, 10:03 AM
I think Saranraj was the hero of this film

sss
26th October 2005, 10:04 AM
Saranraj was the hero of Sakkarai Pandal

SN23
26th October 2005, 10:27 AM
Ramki, neengaL enna thavam seithu indha paartheergaLO, adhai vida koodudhalAga pAvam seidhu nAn kashtapattEn. I saw this movie in a mootapoochi theatre Noorjahan, Saidapet. More than viewers, MPs were many in that hall :-)

MMSen's character has ruined the movie, of course KV's story telling was very bad.

I could not control my laughter while reading your post. As well Thiru's on Rajaali (must be a bird acted as hero / heroine)

But this film had good songs. That amruthavarshini based "en kaatrE en maNNE" is simply great. PS takes of from SPB in the middle and sings along with rain dropping sound. Excellent. I love this song always.

rajeshkrv
27th October 2005, 01:54 AM
Sirivennila,

A grand musical treat by KVM and great lyrics by Sirivennila sitarama sastry and the flute by Pdt.Hariprasad.

Chandamama raave jaabili raave by PS,SPB and B.Vasantha is a beautiful song ..(thanga vennila in tamil)

Vidhatha thalapuna by SPB & PS is the pick of the album
( virindhanai in tamil)

Ee gali ee mela is another beautiful song by PS & SPB
this is the song where PS sings amruthavarshini ..( killai mozhi ootranadhu in tamil)

other songs are solo by SPB

no of songs were more but all songs were great.

thanks for the songs

Ramki
27th October 2005, 05:35 AM
Thank you SSS

Thiru, 'rajaLi' ramki and roja acted rite?

SN23 wow now i know im not the only dfer who watched RD:)

Rajeskrv thanks for the details

Ramki
27th October 2005, 05:42 AM
Picks #191

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/mottu_gs.rm

Song: mottu vitta vaasanai malli
Film: Garuda sowkiyama
Singers: Sjanaki, Jayachandran
Music: MSViswanathan

Thanks to NeelD for sending this song. He writes:

"Mottu Vitta" is a light and happy duet nicely sung by Janaki and
Jayachandran. The lyrics are pretty good though the song does not give
that impression on first listening. The song was as popular as it could
get for a MSV song in the early 80s. Wonder what other songs this film
had!

yvsmani
27th October 2005, 12:29 PM
Nice pick up Ramki. ( and also to NeelD). can u provide more details abt the film?

RC
28th October 2005, 05:05 AM
yvs: I remember seeing Sivaji & Thyagarajan in the posters. I havent seen this movie and have no further information.

Ramki
28th October 2005, 05:23 AM
I too think its sivaji. KRV is the heroine (i think)

Ramki
28th October 2005, 05:40 AM
Picks #192

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/gangai_gosp.rm

Song: gangai karaiyil viLaindha kavidhai
Film: Geetha oru shenbaga poo
Singers: Vani Jairam, Jolly Abraham
Lyrics: kaNNadhasan

Jolly abraham was one of MSV finds. MSV mainly used him for KJY kind of songs. I think around late 70s early- 80s,KJY and MSV were not in talking terms. MSV tried using JA or JC for KJY type of songs.
IMO JA does not have a good voice and he did a very bad imitation of KJY.
Some of his songs were popular though
'adiyenai paarama', 'malai rani mundhanai', 'reena meena','oru nadigai paarkum naadagam','iravil irandu paravaigaL' etc.
He vanished from The TFM scene for a long time.
IR gave him 2 songs in the 90s.
He sang 'oru chinna manikuyilu'(with bhava)-katta panchayathu and
adadaa azhagaana puLLimaane- Mayabazaar 1997

I read somewhere that he is Jency's cousin. He has released many christian devotional songs both in tamil and Malayalam.

Who were the actors in GOSP? Jaiganesh, sumithra??

rajdes
28th October 2005, 10:42 AM
Ramki, is it true that JA resurfaced as Unni Menon? Or, was it someone else? What I know for sure is that Unni Menon had already been in TFM in some other name in early 80's.

SN23
28th October 2005, 11:21 AM
Ramki:

Garuda Sowkiyama is by Sivaji + Sujatha (not KRV). There is a TMS + PS duet starting with "Sandana malarin sundara vadivil".

Jolly Abraham had given 2 more hits. Both with PS.

1. Rekha Rekha.. vaana villin kolam undhan jaalam (kaatrukkenna vEli; MD: Sivaji Raaja)
2. Aasai uLLa maappiLaikku thoodhu sella naan irukEn (needhikku mun Neeya Naanaa; MD: MSV)

Rajdes, definitely Unni Menon is not an reincarnation of JA. He has much better voice that JA :-)

thumburu
28th October 2005, 02:41 PM
//Dig
rajdes, UM sang "pon maane kobam" under the name of "Vijay" in the film "Oru kaidhiyin Dairy"
JA has never been my favourite. Another JA with SJ duet song under MSV baton is "oduvadhu oru manadhu" from a late 70's movie "Ganga yamuna saraswathi" [But Iam not too sure about the movie name ...]

rajdes
28th October 2005, 02:50 PM
thumburu, thanks - now I remember. I used to think that Vijay was Vijay Yesudoss :-)

rajdes
28th October 2005, 02:51 PM
sn23 :-). Good spot.

Naaz
28th October 2005, 08:43 PM
Ramki -

What a find! I had not heard this song in many moons, and what pournami it is to this day! An unmistakable MSV composition, sung with great involvement by VJ and JA. What is truly interesting for me is that MSV had tapped into VJs work with OP Nayyar in this duet - the humming bits of VJs entry and thereafter are typical of an OPN ditty.
I hope to hear Abinaya Sundari Aadugiraal in these parts some day! :-)

Thanks for this treaure (which one can easily extend to most of the picks here) - and, yes, I will treasure it!

Naaz

PS: The other big hit from JA (MSV) with BSS is Adiye Ennai Paaramma - from Vankaththukkuriya Kaadhaliyae. Another inventive compostion by MSV which featured VJ/JA was Ennai Vittu Pirintha Kaadhalan Innum Veedu Vandhu Seravillai from Silk Silk Silk. It is remarkable how MSVs later (complex) tunes never got the attention they deserved!
Ramki - Ithu Nooravathu Post! :-)

Neel D
28th October 2005, 10:26 PM
Ramki,
Thanks for featuring "mottu vitta". Looks like not many people dig that song.

Naaz,
Vanakkathukkuriya Kaadhaliyai "Adiye" endru azhaikkalaamaa?

Naaz
28th October 2005, 10:38 PM
Neel D -

Adiyaen-na? Thappa Sollittaenaa?

"Adiye" enna vanakaththukuriya kaadhaliyai azhaippadhu sariyo thavaro...it is ultimately a measure of a man? I wouldn't. Many would? :wink:

app_engine
28th October 2005, 11:49 PM
'adiyEnaippArammA, pidivAdham Enamma' endRu kAdhalan kenjukiRAr...

`adiyEn' is a very humble expression of self...

`adiyE' illai.

Naaz
29th October 2005, 01:10 AM
app_engine -

I appreciate your explanation. "Adiyaen" is a term of humility, and I am cognisant of that.
It was a mishearing on my part (mostly my drop-out memory) and I did acknowledge the slip the moment it was pointed out to me? Thanks.

Ramki
31st October 2005, 06:55 AM
Picks #193

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kunguma_aok.rm

Song: kunguma kolangaL
Film: annan oru kovil
Singer: Vani Jairam
Lyrics: kaNNadhasan

A 'haunting' song by VJ. I always wonder who invented the costume for 'peis' in indian films. White saree, kolusu, malligai poo :). Last week i was watching a 70s hindi pei song. The hero was jeetendra and the pei was our srividya. She not only had a white saree but also a white face(white paint or makeup , couldnt makeout the difference).

The other 'haunting' VJ solos i like are 'aagayathil thottil kattum', 'urugudhe idhayame' and one more song from raasathi rosakiLi(cant recall the starting line now)

AOK was an ok sivaji film. I love the songs esp SPBs version of 'annan oru kovil endraal' and 'naalu pakkam vedarundu'.
I think todays pick is picturised on Sujatha

RC
31st October 2005, 08:10 AM
Ramki: Are you sure, this song was picturised on Sujatha? I think it is Sumithra and Jaiganesh follows her throughout the song.
I thought Aagayathil thottil kattum from Thunive thunai was really scary when I watched it as a kid!

RR
31st October 2005, 08:44 AM
Yeah RC, 'aagayathil thottil katti' was a really scary one... Another scary one was 'venmegame' (1000 jenmangal) but it's by SJ.

I like 'malligai mullai' also in AOK. What a beautiful composition..! (except for a li'l korakora TMS). In fact, all songs are lovely in this album.

I thought Aagayathil thottil kattum from Thunive thunai was really scary when I watched it as a kid!
Appadi sonnaa naanga yemaanthuduvomaa..? Periapps periapps thaan..

RC
31st October 2005, 08:51 AM
RR: ippadiyellaam sonna ungaLa chinna puLLa-nu ninachuppangaLaakum? ninapppu thaan! :)

yvsmani
31st October 2005, 10:38 AM
Gangai karaiyil vialintha kavithai is a rare gem. innum konjam JA nandragha paadi irukkalamo ena oru eNNam. ( PJ / KJY paadi irunthaal innum nandragha irunthu irukkum ena oru ganam eNNa vaikirathu, sorry for comparison).

I thought Ramki lists only rare songs in POW. kunguma kolangal is not rare, I feel. Of course, a great solo. enna Deepavalikku VJ specialaa ??

From Mars
31st October 2005, 08:07 PM
Enna Ramki ku 'paE' aasai ellam varuthu :)

VJ Solo in Rajaathi RojakiLi? I thought it was by KJY and VJ :)

naalu pakkam vEdar uNdu paatukku, kizhatu sivajiyum, Sujathavum, suthamaa otala? :)

Naaz
31st October 2005, 11:36 PM
Ramki -

A classic is forever! Thanks for this "haunting" solo. Picturised on Swarna (or Sorna?) of Pattina Pravesam fame.

Happy Deepavali to All TFMpage rasikas and DFers!

Naaz

(This is my second attempt to post this. If there's duplication...blame it on my computer!)

jn
1st November 2005, 03:09 AM
Ramki: halloween special aa?:) naaLikki diwaLi spl aa?:)
nice pick:)
Naaz: Is it Meera or swarna? enakku ore confusion...I can remember the face, though:)
Actually, she is not a ghost, just a lady who has gone crazy because the villain (who spoils sivaji's sister's life) spoiled her life..When Sivaji and Sujatha are hiding in a railway waiting room, Sujatha gets afraid seeing this lady(near the window) in white saree with a haunting laughter and this song..

Happy DiwaLi to all of you:)

Ramki
1st November 2005, 07:13 AM
YVSM,
it is not a rare song but i wouldnt say it is a common one either. Also i was looking for a eerie song to suit the 'mood'. This was the only better file i had with me :)

JN thanks for the details

Naaz
1st November 2005, 07:15 AM
jn -

"Delhi" Ganesh, Meera, Sivachandran and Swarna were introduced to the tamil screen with Pattina Pravesam (heavily inspired by The Conquerors of the Golden City). You are right - this solo is not sung by a "ghost" but by a woman (played by Swarna) who has been exploited and abandoned by Jai Ganesh. However, she "haunts" the railway station singing this solo in the hope that he will return to claim her..."Kunkuma Kolangal Kodhai Kondada...Varuvaanadi"
(Interestingly enough, 16 Vayathinilae begins with the same premise - Mayilu awaiting "Chappaani/Gopal" to return so that she can celebrate a happy married life with him.)

Ramki
1st November 2005, 07:23 AM
Pick #200

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naaLai_pc.rm

Song: naaLai pozhudhu undhan
Film: porsilai
Singer: Sirgazhi Govindarajan
Lyrics: kaNNadhasan ?
Music: RGovardhanam

What a reassuring song. If your spirits are down..just listen to this song. You are sure to feel refreshed.

naaLai pozhudhu DeepavaLi pozhudhu. ungaL ellorukkum nalla pozhudhaaga amaiya en vaazhthukkaL

PS: If you did notice todays pick is our 200th song. I was doing a POW inventory and found that i have been numbering the songs incorrectly. Hence the jump from 193 to 200. I 'm really glad to present the 200th song on a DeepavaLi(eve) day. Happy deepavaLi again.

RC
1st November 2005, 08:43 AM
Ramki: Happy deepavaLi!
Naaz: Are you saying 'Kunguma kOlangaL kOil kondada' is from pattina pravesam?

madhu
1st November 2005, 09:08 AM
HI.. Happy Diwali to all !

jn
3rd November 2005, 03:56 AM
aarsi: Naaz is saying that it is swarna from pattinap pravesam...not the song:)
Jai Ganesh is not the villain..actually he gives life to Sumithra.

Ramki: Wow..200 songs!!!! Keep up the good work:)

Ramki
3rd November 2005, 05:07 AM
TFM lost one of its gem on 31st October. PLeela. Singer of many unforgettable songs. Not only tamil but many malayalam telugu and kannada songs too.

The following thread discusses her greats.

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2603

Here is a relatively unknown but an excellent song by PL.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naan_uk.rm

naam maravom avarin kuralai

jn
4th November 2005, 01:25 AM
Good song ramki..
idhu enna thiraip pada paataa? kEttadhe illai..

rajraj
4th November 2005, 01:58 AM
Good song ramki..
idhu enna thiraip pada paataa? kEttadhe illai..

enna jn ? indha paattu naan pp-le paadi irukkene! thirai pada paadaldhaan!

jn
4th November 2005, 03:43 AM
Raj:) neenga paadra paattunga siladhu naan kEttadhe ille..adhile idhuvum onnu...
There is no info on the film..adhanaal thaan kEttEn:)

Ramki
4th November 2005, 05:57 AM
Jn i think its from Prema paasam.

More details on PLeela

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/11/04/stories/2005110401660100.htm

Ramki
4th November 2005, 06:11 AM
Pick #201

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vaanukku_apa.rm

Song: vaanukku thandhai evano
Film: aadu puli aatam
Singers: SPB, LRAnjali
Music: Vijayabhaskar

A lovely song by SPB with great lyrics by Kaviyarasu. The song is mostly played on radios during islamic religious holidays(Do they still do this?).
I have heard good reviews on APA. I watched it when i was a small kid ..i vaguely remember the cycle scenes with kamal and sangeetha and the church meeting scene between kamal and 'sister' sangeetha. Also the last scene when rajini falls from a high raise building.
I know sripriya was also in the cast., not very sure what was her role in the film.
'uravo pudhumai ninaivo inimai'(SPB) is another good song from APA.

5th November 2005, 12:55 AM
aha, am listening to this after about 20 years :D Always used to wonder about the singer, surprised to know it is SPB!

rajeshkrv
5th November 2005, 03:48 AM
adu puli aatam - lyrics were by vaali

mythila
5th November 2005, 01:54 PM
APA had another good VJ solo
"manamae solaiyaam" . Kamal-Rajini used to be a hit combinationn and this film was no exception. Rajini played the cool , bad guy , and ended up becoming the heart throb of many college girls of 70's :)

Ramki
7th November 2005, 05:17 AM
Thanks rajeshkrv and Mythila for the details

Ramki
7th November 2005, 06:09 AM
Pick #202

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/uruginen_aa.rm

Song: uruginen uruginen mannane mannane
Film: anne anne
Singers: Sjanaki,SPB
Lyrics: vairamuthu?

A sweet melodious but not often listened to duet . Did i say melodious? Like a fast changing hurricane, the song suddenly bounces to a fast phase in the middle then mellows down again towards the end.
I know MouLi acted in aNNe aNNe. I'm not sure who appeared in this song (hopefully not MouLi himself :) ).

The first four lines sound very close to 'keLadi kaNmani paadagan sangathi' and the interludes has 'siriya paravai siragai virithu' feel

yvsmani
7th November 2005, 01:59 PM
i think aadu puli aattam had one more VJ solo - poonkuyil koovuthu kaadhal raagam paaduthu. ( or is it some other film ?? )

tvsankar
8th November 2005, 12:31 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song!!!! Songai patri unga comment - simple but perfect !!!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

jn
8th November 2005, 01:30 AM
i think aadu puli aattam had one more VJ solo - poonkuyil koovuthu kaadhal raagam paaduthu. ( or is it some other film ?? )

mani: It is from aadu puli aattam..Sripriya cycle Ottitte indha paatu paaduvaa:)

sathyakabali
8th November 2005, 08:07 AM
TFM lost one of its gem on 31st October. PLeela. Singer of many unforgettable songs. Not only tamil but many malayalam telugu and kannada songs too.

The following thread discusses her greats.

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2603

Here is a relatively unknown but an excellent song by PL.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naan_uk.rm

naam maravom avarin kuralai

Thanks Ramki for the song!
A great singer indeed!(who sang with MKT, Jesudas's father Augustine Joseph and her last movie song under IR)
Here is a tribute to this legendary singer
in URGO series with many songs and pictures.

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewlite.php?t=1560

Naaz
8th November 2005, 11:01 PM
Ramki -

Vaanukku was definitely a "mood" song popularsied by DD and Vividh Bharati. The other one that (supposedly) generated warm and fuzzy islamic sentiments was "Nalla Manathil Kudi Irukkum Naagoor Aandavaa.." by Mu Ka Muththu, and, of course, the evergreen "Ellorum Kondaaduvom" (Paava Mannippu?). Thanks for selecting this song as your Ramadan greeting.

yvsmani -

Poonkuyil Koovuthu is a lovely solo on the lines of "Sayonara" from Love in Tokyo (both have that "oriental" lilt) and VJs "indha naalil" ending is class. Uravo is also a fine song, although reused from VBs Kannada hit "Besugae Besugae" from Baiyallu Dari. Ditto for Manamae Sollaiyaam.

PS: Ramki, did you receive my song request list? I sent it about six-seven weeks ago? Hope you have some of those rarities, and I look forward to finding them here someday soon:-)

Ramki
9th November 2005, 03:39 AM
Naaz i have your list but not the songs listed :). I will definitely host them if i can find them.

Ramki
9th November 2005, 03:50 AM
Pick #203

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/srirangano_mk.rm

Song: srirangano srideviyo
Film: meenakshi kungumam
Singers: Jayachandran, Vanijairam

Will it be a boy or a girl? A definite question in all expectant parents.
As with most cases the father wants a girl and the mom a boy. Kannadasan expresses all these thoughts in his lines

Father says:
aaN piLLai theeradha thollai
peN piLLai peranbin ellai
sridevi vara vendum endru
thirumaalai varam keLu indru

Mom replies:
magaLai katti kodupadhum thaan selavaiyya
maganaipetha panamum perum varumaiyaa
kaNNanthaan piLLai mannanthaan.

This rustic duet was commonly aired in early 80s. It might have disappeared from the air waves but definitely not from our memories.
I think the song is picturised on Vijayakumar and Sripriya. It could be a Ramanarayan film as i remember seeing a Monkey's face in the wall posters.

RR
9th November 2005, 08:16 AM
SG's stamp is unmistakeable.

It could be a Ramanarayan film as i remember seeing a Monkey's face in the wall posters.
You mean, like they put up director's photo on posters these days? :lol:

yvsmani
9th November 2005, 01:38 PM
intha pattil PJ etho kenji kenji paaduvathu pol irukkum and VJ adamant agha paaduvathu pol irukkum

thumburu
9th November 2005, 02:35 PM
yvsmani, adhu "adamant" maadhiri kooda illai ore "adaavadi"yaa irukkum :))

jn
10th November 2005, 01:51 AM
I think sripriya's character was like that..chuttip ponnu or vaayaadi or adaavadi...edho oNNu:)
RR: idhu konjam "over":) director paavam illaiyaa?:)

RC
10th November 2005, 03:49 AM
Ramki: yean adhu devar films padama irukka koodathaa?

Ramki
10th November 2005, 05:07 AM
RR, jn, thumburu :)

RC kurangu appearances are more common in RN movies than Devar movies illaiya?

Ramki
10th November 2005, 05:26 AM
Pick #204

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/aezhu_tt.rm

Song: aezhu malai vaasa
Film: Tiger thathachari
Singers: Soolamangalam sisters, Veeramani
Music: Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi

Female MDs are very uncommon in Indian cinema. SoolamangalamR, Usha Khanna, srilekha, Banumathi, SJanaki, Bhavatharini are the few among the few. I read in Hindu that even PLeela did music for a telugu film.
In tamil , soolamangalam Rajalakshmi did music for 3 films.
Darisanam, tiger thathachari and piLLaiyaar(?). 'idhu maalai nerathu mayakkam' from darisanam is a favorite song for many.
Tiger thatachari songs are less know to majority listerners.
I think the film had Major sundararajan in the lead. Im not sure of the remaining cast.
Todays pick will remind you the bhakthi songs that would grace our airwaves in the mornings. Nevertheless its a good song worth listening just for the ganeer voices of the sisters.

SN23
10th November 2005, 10:24 AM
Ramki,

S.Sisters scored music for AppodhE sonnEnE kEttiyA (Jaiganesh movie), in addition to Darisanam, Pillayar and TT.

Tiger Thathachari was based on Major Sundarrajan's stage drama where he acted as barrister, paired with Sugumari. Sivakumar who mostly acted with Major on stage in his dramas, acted in this movie too. He jodified with M.Banumathi, I think.

A duet for Siva and MB sung by S.R and TMS, it starts like Kalyanam thiru vizha (or Oru vizha???). S.R-rukku duet paada aasai vandhu koodavE sirippu vEra sirippaar (ayyahO). It could happen only under her music direction and IT DID HAPPEN.

Padam sariyA bONi aagavillai :-(

Naaz
10th November 2005, 10:26 AM
Ramki -

This one got me all "shook" up! :-) Sri Priya was definitely "adaavadi" in this film, and cutely so :-) Another VJ solo from the same film (which was another "adaavadi" moment from the same film!) was Muththamma Chinnachchittu MunnepPinne Paarththu Nada... the coy incredulity in the "Ammadi Ammadi" ending is simply delectable in this one!
Your picks take me back in time...and I go happily... gratefully!

Naaz

PS: I have a rare one for you. Please check the pow request mail!

thumburu
10th November 2005, 05:06 PM
Is "maadhuLai mottukkaL" also from TigerThathachari? I love this song of SR. It is ages since I heard this and by any chance , is it in Charukesi?

balaji
10th November 2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks Ramki.

I believe TT had Sivakumar and Kutti Padmini(?) also. There is a cute duet by TMS-SR which used to be played often those days..

Thanks Ramki for unearthing the rarest numbers.

Bala

Nidhi80
10th November 2005, 10:21 PM
SN: u r correct. The lady pairing with sivakumar is that Banumathi. She acted in Raman ethanai ramandi also, as KRVijaya's daughter.

Soolamangalam rajayalakshmi laughing ha ha ha. SJanakikki pottiya ha ha ha

Neel D
10th November 2005, 11:11 PM
Ramki,

I have the TMS-SR duet "kalyANam oru vizA" with me. It is a wonderful duet. There are probably just two or three duets that SR sang with TMS. They sure are rarities. I can send it to you if you would like to present it here. Please let me know.

I can't hear SR laughing in this song anywhere. Unless it was all the way at the tailend of the song and it got edited in the version I have.

Ramki
11th November 2005, 05:51 AM
Thank you all for the excellent details. 'appodhe sonne kettiya'??:) Looks like odd titles started very early in kodambakkam.

Banumathi is acting in serail nowdays. She did a main role in KB's 'aNNi'

NeelD please send the song. Thanks

Ramki
11th November 2005, 06:08 AM
Pick #205

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/sari_tm.rm

Song: sarithaana
Film: thaaLam
Singers: Chitra, Mano, sukhwinder,udit N?
Lyrics: vairamuthu
Music: ARRahman

'taal' is my personal favorite. Yes it had exceptional songs , there cannot be any doubt in that. But it was also the first CD i bought in my life.
I was in love with the songs for a while(You have to if that is the only CD in your Car:) ).
Todays pick is the favorite(or the second) of the lot. The tune, interludes and the lyrics(hindi) gel wonderfully.
Tamil version of the songs, IMO, were not as good as the original. But yet they are much better than the songs that came out in that period.

Just curious: Do you remember the first CD you purchased?

From Mars
11th November 2005, 09:40 AM
Yaa I do:) In 1991 I bought, memorable melodies of KJY, released by Oriental. mmm I paid $18 for that CD :oops:

IMO, hindi version is much better than tamil, even recording wise, the tamil version had very poor recording.

RR
11th November 2005, 10:32 AM
I can't describe how disappointed I was when I heard ''thaalathil nee seravaa' (I had listened to Taal already). This must be one of the tops in the spoilt-during-remake songs category. Using some track singer (Is she the 'maargazhi poove' one?) for this song was atrocious.

First CD bought.. My first was one carnatic cd as a gift for a friend. First for myself, I think was a '2 cd for $5' offer that had 'KJY's MGR songs' and a 'PS sad solos'.

SN23
11th November 2005, 11:01 AM
Neel, you are correct. SR's laughing is not present in this song, but it is in KaNNan enakkoru piLLai (Movie: Yen). Got confused.

SR's vetkka pattukittu paadum "ennidam edhuvuuuu illai" (2 times) did not sound good for a young heroine.

Ramki: aNNi serial comes in Jaya TV? I don't get J TV here :-(

RR: is ThaLathil sung by Usha Shankar? Not sure ??

Ramki
14th November 2005, 04:24 AM
SN23 its shobha shankar. The same one who sang 'margazhi poove'. She is a singaporean residing in states(when the film was released)

Ramki
14th November 2005, 05:47 AM
Pick #206

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/solla_km.rm

Song: solla vallayo
Film: kavari maan
Singer: SVaralakshmi
Lyrics: Bharathiar

'kavarimaan' is one of the good film of sivaji that was released in 70s. I had a chance to watch it few years ago and was impressed with the theme and performance of sivaji and sridevi. The story is about a fathers yearing for his daughters acceptance. The daughter witnesses the father murdering her mom and rightfully starts hating him. She doesn't know that her father did this is a fit of fury after catching her mom(PramiLa) and a friend (Premkumar) together.
Will she ever recognize his love for her? The story was very well told and sridevi proved her match to sivaji's underplayed performance
The film had very good songs by IR. Todays song is one of the 2 songs SV sang in IR's music

Thiru
14th November 2005, 06:12 AM
On Sarithaana

nice song Ramki but having listened to Taal songs thaalam came as a big disappointment to me.. particularly inserted lyrics like 'nee muttai pola udaivadhu seri thaana'... The best dubbed music for ARR was Uyire and Jodi...

Btw, my first CD was a combo by Magnasound 'Thiruda Thiruda' & pudhiya mugam.. Remember buying it for 175 Rs back in 1994..... I'm very poor in keeping my collection intact and the CD is probably in one of my friend's CD rack...

rajraj
14th November 2005, 06:41 AM
Nice song 'solla vallayo' ! I have posted the lyrics in MOY. Sounds like Bhairavi.

RR
14th November 2005, 08:34 AM
Raj,

I think it's a ragamalika: Surutti, Atana and finally with swaras in Shanmugapriya. Nicely done.

my first CD was a combo by Magnasound 'Thiruda Thiruda' & pudhiya mugam..
Surprise..surprise.. :D

vijayr
14th November 2005, 10:34 PM
isnt "Solla vallaayo" any already existing carnatic composition(composed by Bharathi)? I have seen Lalgudi's version of it.Its a ragamalika.IR might have just re-used the tune, will have to verify.

Another song for which an original compisiton could have been created but an already existing krithi was used was - "brova baarama" by KJY in the same film. Squandered opportunities, I thought.

baroque
15th November 2005, 02:31 AM
Good choice!! Thanks Ramki!

Sudha Ragunathan also has sung 'solla vallayo kiliye...' Ragamalika in her album 'thoodhu sellayo'.

Ramki
15th November 2005, 06:38 AM
Thank you all for the details and thoughts

Ramki
15th November 2005, 06:51 AM
Pick #207

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/raamanukku_pmb.rm

Song: raamanukku mannan mudi
Film: pathu maadha bandham
Singer: PBanumathi
Lyrics: Arunachala kavi

a semi classical(or mukkaa classical?) song by PB. To my ears the song sounds like 'saamaja vara gamanaa'. PB's voice sound a little strained but she does sing the song very well and in her own style(I like the way she comes back to pallavi after the swaras in the end).
'Pathu maadha bandham' also had a lengthy english song by PB. She sings and venniradai nirmala dances for the song. First line anyone?
I think Muthuraman was the hero.
Another song from PMB is 'edhai ketpadho edhai solvadho' by AMR and Jikki

balaji
15th November 2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the Varalakshmi song followed by another actress singer PB's song

The song goes something like 'Let me sing, Let me cry when I am Blue.....". Wasn't there another solo by PB, Irandu Thaikku Oru Magal in PMB?

Bala

rajraj
15th November 2005, 07:54 AM
Ramki: It is classical in HindhoLam as Samaja vara gamana. It is from Arunachala Kavi's Rama natakam. Bhanumathi has sung other classical pieces in movies.

RR
15th November 2005, 08:06 AM
One of my favorite songs in Hindolam. Good show by PB with nice briga's.

Music by SG-yaa?!! That would really be a surprise.

rajeshkrv
15th November 2005, 08:32 AM
beautiful song..

pathu madha bandham had Sarojadevi,P.bhanumathi,muthuraman,A.V.M.Rajan,Raj ashree,
ravichandran,v.nirmala ,M.N.Rajam and others

yes this is my all timefav of PB ..S.A. Asokan acted asPB's husband

Poo malai ondru poovo irandu by PS and Jikki is another wonderful duet

raj

SN23
15th November 2005, 01:23 PM
Ramki:

1. In Kavari maan, it was Ravichandran who played that secret man associated with Pramila. Not Premkumar. Sivaji's one of the best movies, in my opinion. There is an excellent KJY's calssical song for Sivaji (anybody remembers this?). Vijayakumar also acted as Sivaji's youngest brother, paired with Swarna (Pattina Pravesam fame).

2. PMB's star cast is really big, introduced by Subramanyam Chettiar (producer). Most of his films were like that. AVMR+SD+Rajasri; SD later marries Muthu?? (not sure); Ravichandran+VA Nirmala.

PB did act in heavy roles in quite a few films after PMB.

Poo maalai ondru is a good melody for SD + Rajasri.

Another TMS+PS duet like Chithooru mAmi koothAda vanthAlam for RC+VAN.

A smash hit of late 70's. I heard that there was two huge cut-outs for PB and SD in wellington theatre, where there no such for the 3 heroes.

balaji
15th November 2005, 05:21 PM
SN

1. Are you referring to Bravo Barama by KJY, vijayr had also mentioned this. Who can forget the Poopola song from that movie.

2. PMB - A smash hit of late 70's?? Are you sure.
I believe this movie must have released in 73-74 when I used to hear the songs in MADRAS A/Ceylone... I saw the movie in Narayanaswamy Theatre in Virudhunagar

Bala

rajdes
15th November 2005, 06:30 PM
Another song in Kavari Maan was "Angel, I see only you". Just heard it. SPB freaks out.

vel1970
15th November 2005, 11:38 PM
Pls let'us be honest while praising Banumadhi's singing. Half of the words are swallowed besides she goes out of scale many times. Return to pallavi is a clear case for this. Also in high pitch srudhi bEdham is very evident.

How about Varalakshmi? When I listened, enakku moochu mutti pOchu. Sorry brothers, not able to appreciate the stars singing.

Hope Ramki will take my comments positively.

vel1970
15th November 2005, 11:42 PM
P.B sings the line "pattam katta" like "pattam ketta". She repeats this line 3 times. Horrible.

baroque
16th November 2005, 04:17 AM
Ramki rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yesterday bharathi's song, today Arunachala kavi's special!!
Wow!!

Nallaikku yenna host panna poraalo????? romba eager aa yerukkey!!!!
:) thanks, vinatha.

baroque
16th November 2005, 05:25 AM
For those didn't enjoy the PB's singing!!! Musicindiaonline.com hosts more of contemporary artists works. I didn't find any old stalwarts in the web!! anyway..... enjoy Nithyashree

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/1/s/album.2315/composer.76/

Ramki
16th November 2005, 06:41 AM
as always thanks to everyone for all the details and inputs

vel1970 please feel free to share your thoughts. I agree with you on PB's ucharippu. Its definitely way off. But i cannot really comment on her shruthi bedham..as i dont have enough knowledge to note the differences:)

Ramki
16th November 2005, 06:58 AM
Pick #208

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/raghuvara_ipt.rm

Song: raghuvara
Film: isai paadum thendral
Singers: Sjanaki, BMK, KJYesudoss
Lyrics: Thyagaiyar
Music: IR

A musical treat from the legends of music. The fact that SJ is not formally- clasically trained will surprise anyone who listens to this song. And her singing with 2 singing genius makes this more interesting.

IPT was a stupid movie with excellent songs(Ambika lipsyncing to todays song is a comedy movie my itself ). Sivakumar, ambika, naLini, Janakaraj etc were in the cast.
'endhan kai kuttaiyai', 'vaazhai maram katti' (both by KJY and SJ)
'isai paadu nee iLathendrale'(SJ) and
'disco king disco king'(KJY, VJ)
are other songs from IPT

rajraj
16th November 2005, 07:15 AM
Good choice Ramki. PanthuvaraaLi is a beautiful raagam. I thought you were going back in time- Bharathiyar, Arunachala Kavi, Purandaradasa ?................. :D But you came back !

baroque
16th November 2005, 08:48 AM
[tscii:764de4e8c0]Glad I was peeking this evening with curiosity, yenna poda poraa!! :D
Raguvara.... Pantuvarali!!
Nice job, Ramki!
One more thyagaraja krithi in Hindolam ‘manasulonimarmamunu....’ namba Raaja introduced in this album!! ‘isai paadu thendral...’-another Janaki’s solo(jog). Janaki is splendid in this album!! [/tscii:764de4e8c0]

From Mars
16th November 2005, 08:58 PM
endhan kaikutaiyai was very popular at that time.
yaa it's a paethetic movie :) another movie with excellent (some semiclassical songs) is 'oruvar vaazhum aalayam'.

vel1970
16th November 2005, 09:22 PM
Ramki: thanks for your positive response. Earlier we cannot criticise any song. If we do, then the thozhar padai will be directed to plunge into and accuse the critic. Now in this forum, friendly atmosphere prevails and I am happy abt it.

Ramki
17th November 2005, 06:14 AM
Raj:) adhukkum pinnaadi poga enakku vayasu ille:)

Ramki
17th November 2005, 06:21 AM
Pick #209

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/mai_sd.rm

Song: mai vacha kaNNamma
Film: Sridevi
Music: Shyam

Thanks to Naaz for sending this song. Before going to what he has to say, here's my 2 cents.
'Sridevi' i think is another 'kurangu' film by RamaNarayan. If im not wrong the monkey is sridevi(Maybe the director was mad at actress sridevi:)). The song is picturised on Saritha and Rajkumar.

Now over to Naaz:
Imagine embroidered cotton with threads of silk.
Imagine spring rain with peek-a-boo sunshine. Imagine
the sweet rush of tangerine on pointed tongue.
That's Shyam's music to me. Light and Shade. Quiet and
Rush. Soft and Robust. All at the same time.
This song is no exception.
The strum of a guitar followed by the serene and
seductive Suseela (yes, she can be both - and
simultaneously!) as she pushes the gates to a rustic
heaven wide open...Vaasamulla Sandhanamae
Vachchurkkaen Kunkumamae...Soothing as sandalwood,
vivid like vermillion - Isn't that her voice in its
true essence?
I have no idea about the who what when of this film.
But like I care? Surrender, drown...you won't miss
escapes and surfacing.
Suseela the sky. SPB the cloud. Shyam the creator.
The film is Sri Devi, I believe.
The song is ambrosia all over.

balaji
17th November 2005, 07:27 AM
Ramki

The song did start well and not sure why it turned to folksy?

Shyam always impresses me , even in his background scroe(CBI Iyer series...). After an impressive opening, the song goes in all directions like a SG score

Bala

SN23
17th November 2005, 01:16 PM
Ramki & Naaz thanks for the unheard song from Sridevi. Naaz, your preface is interesting :-)

PS !!! Her seductive way of singing was seen in few songs, this being very different.

Her maintaining the quality of singing and melody besides showing the seductiveness is something special. One will sense this in her "enna sugam mmm enna sungam... unnidam naaaaan kanda sugam". Great going indeed !

Vel, I understand that your criticism on a song was misunderstood/misinterpreted as a personal attack ??? If yes, why do you withdraw? You should have left them continue with that responsibility of correcting himself/herself. Your withdrawl would have conveyed message as if the mistake was your's. Anyway, you are best person to decide :-)

Naaz
17th November 2005, 09:36 PM
Ramki -

Thank you for featuring this song. It is a rare one, but not all that unknown (was featured quite regularly on VB and Ilangai Vaanoli - and left a lasting impression (on me at least).

SN23 -

P Suseela is an institution. Anything I say about her has already been said - and said in a better way!

Among her uniquely seductive modulateds...: Yaarum Illai Ingey and Naalai Indha Velai Paarththu...such different tunes, and yet PS brings such a distinct aura to both!
I could go on and on and on... Maampoovae, Sugamo, Mella Mella, Orae Idam, Kalyaana Valaiosai, Kandaen Kalyaana Penn Pondra, Megame Thoodhagavaa, Oru Kaadhal Devathai, Rendu Kannam, Paada Vanthadho Gaanam....

All deliciously drownable in! :-)

jn
17th November 2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks to Naaz and Ramki for this lovely song.
I like Naaz's poetic way of appreciation.
If you listen to this song once, you will be humming it for more than a week esp PS's mhummhum part:)

Lyrics:

PS: mhuhum mhuhum mhuhum mhumhum
SPB: mai vachcha kaNNammaa
vetkaththaith thaLLammaa
maargazhik kuLirammaa
maNi manjam pOdammaa
vayasO irubadhu iLasaa irukkudhu
manasO mayangudhu
thudiyaath thudikkudhu

PS: vaasamuLLa santhanamE
vachchirukkEn kungumamE
manasai vachcha un mElE thaan mayangi ninnEnE
vaasamuLLa santhanamE
vachchirukkEn kungumamE
manjak kuLichchu aLLi mudichchu
unnai ninaichchE naanum irunthEn

vaasamuLLa santhanamE
vachchirukkEn kungumamE

SPB: ennammaa sinnap poNNu
naaNamenna nIyum sollu
thEnE unnai pUvaa aLLik kavidhai sollavaa
ennammaa sinnap poNNu
naaNamenna nIyum sollu
thEnE unnai pUvaa aLLik kavidhai sollavaa
thenna marath thOppOram kanni iLa maanE vaa
thenna marath thOppOram kanni iLa maanE vaa
nenjaNaiyil aLLi vachchi thaalaattavaa
vaNNap pUvE kannith thEnE
nenjaith thaanE aLLith thaayEn

PS: vaasamuLLa santhanamE
vachchirukkEn kungumamE

PS: nIraadum nEraththilE nI vanthu paarkkaiyilE
machchaan unnaik kaNNil kaNdu thayangi ninnEnE
nIraadum nEraththilE nI vanthu paarkkaiyilE
machchaan unnaik kaNNil kaNdu thayangi ninnEnE
thaali kattum munnaalE thaaNdi varalaamO naan
thaali kattum munnaalE thaaNdi varalaamO naan
naaLum vachchu mELam kotti naamum sErvOm

vaasamuLLa santhanamE
vachchirukkEn kungumamE

vaasamuLLa santhanamE
vachchirukkEn kungumamE

SPB: mai vachcha kaNNammaa
vetkaththaith thaLLammaa
maargazhik kuLirammaa
maNi manjam pOdammaa
vayasO irubadhu iLasaa irukkudhu
manasO mayangudhu
thudiyaath thudikkudhu

app_engine
18th November 2005, 01:08 AM
Excellent song...Shyam's compositions are very enjoyable...(another fav. in a somewhat similar format - ivaL dhEvadhai, idhazh mAdhuLai from `vA indhappakkam')

Ramki
18th November 2005, 06:30 AM
Pick #210

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/innaikku_kp.rm

Song: innaikku nadantha
Film: koottu puzhukkaL
Singer : Chitra
Lyrics: Uma KaNNadasan

After 'sirai's success, many of Anuradha Ramanans novels and stories made their trip to the big screen.
'thavam', 'oru malarin payanam', 'kootu puzhukkaL' , one of the vaasals of 'oru veedu iru vaasal' etc. None of them found the success as sirai. Failures doesnt mean they were bad. KP was indeed good. The story is about Manga(Amala) who lives in a agrahara ondi kudithanam with 'once an actress' and now a 'madam' Asakunthala and Deepa.
Manga hates her family and their profession. She is in love with her unemployed neighbor Raghuvaran and believes she will one day lead a normal life. How her hopes shatters and how she ends as a group dancer forms the rest of the story.
I Think KP came as a thodarkadhai in saavi. I remember my sisters raving about the story.
RCSakthi did add some new characters to the story ike Sarithas ,Chandrasekhars and the married but raghuvaran lusting YVijaya.
Amala was a total misfit. She couldnt emote well and looked too sophisticated for Manga's character.
MSV's 'nitham nitham or inba kaNaa' (with SPB) is an excellent melody so is Suseelas 'indha malligaipoovukku kalyaanam'(For Saritha).
I like todays solo. Chitras voice sounds so innocent and slightly childish but pure.
I believe this is the only song Uma Kannadasan wrote for a film.

balaji
18th November 2005, 07:32 AM
Good Song Ramki!

Why is the "Too.." "Too", disco sounds in the beginning of such a melodious misfit. MSV songs in the 80s used to have this bit too often..

Bala

Naaz
18th November 2005, 10:15 AM
jn -

The day I received the Mai Vachcha song file in my Mai Vaikkaadha mailbox, all it said was "Surprise" below the attachment. The moment I clicked on the enclosure, I was hooked. You are right, the opening humming is addictive and just won't quit! Thank you for making the time to write down the lyrics (kavi yaaru? vaali?) - the words capture all the susurrations of soft love along a red-earth trail...

Ramki -

Didn't mean to add to the "kurangu" pattaalam :lol:
But allow me to throw in another monkey wrench :
Lakshmi, the film, starred Sri Devi with a.....Monkey! :twisted:
I think Rama Narayanan was on to something here!!

Can't help this thought either: If the Mai Vachcha Kannamma was Saritha, Mai-kku thaniya oru pangu irundhirukkum production budget-il? :roll:

--------------

A few queries about today's preamble:
Wasn't Thavam a novel by Sivasankari? And the Lakshmi's "Thavam" ( she was the producer of the film) was a remake of the hindi (Shabana Azmi) film "Bhavna"

Also clarify this, please: Malligaippoovukku Kalyanam was a duet by VJ-MVD from Oorkaavalan...that's a totally different song, yeah?

From Mars
18th November 2005, 10:20 AM
thanks Ramki for the song. This song always comes in Wedding videos. I could not watch movie, I felt it too boring :)

thavam was a good movie, especially Luxmy acting was excellent.

thumburu
18th November 2005, 12:00 PM
"mai vachha kannamma" - only the opening few lines with the guitar back up is haunting. The rest after "vaasamuLLa" sounds like a jaded KVM duet

SN23
18th November 2005, 12:05 PM
Ramki, very nice song by Chitra; well sung.

Anuradha had the tendency of deliberately forcing pity on some characters in her stories. Here Manga.

As you said, film was with misfit of actors. Besides Amala, CID Sakunthala was irritating. Somehow Saritha could do better though it was a support role.

Naaz: your "If the Mai Vachcha Kannamma was Saritha, Mai-kku thaniya oru pangu irundhirukkum production budget-il? " :lol:

rra
18th November 2005, 12:18 PM
Ramki: I feel that the credits for the music of "Raghuvara" should include Tyagaiyar as well because he has clearly provided the basic tune.
rra

Ramki
19th November 2005, 06:17 AM
Bala, i too noticed that. It started with the manal kayiru song i think.

Naaz:
oorkaavalan song:
malligai poovukku kalyaanam
mannil iranguthu aagasam

KP song:
indha malligai poovukku kalyanam
pudhu maargazhi paniyil oorgolam
mella pirankindra sandhosham
indha sugam kooda oru vagai sangeetham

rra: Agreed

Naaz
20th November 2005, 01:18 AM
Ramki -

Thanks for the clarification. I have not heard Indha Malligaipoovukku (or if I have, I don't recall the tune.) Niththam Niththam En Kannodu Inbakkanaa is a lovely solo, and the only one I am familiar with from KP. The featured solo is also new to me...but it ends abruptly?

Ramki
20th November 2005, 06:50 AM
Today POW celebrates its first birthday. I cannot believe a year has gone so fast and the fact POW lasted one year. :o
Initially POW featured only one song per week but nowdays it easily sees 5 songs. So the correct title should be Picks of the week :roll: .
I want to use this opportunity to thank all of you fo your continuous support. 210 rare(almost?:) ) songs in a span of one year couldnt have been done without your encouragement, generous donation of songs and appropiate comments and suggestions.

A small POW trivia:

Number of songs featured so far: 210
Number of MD's POW honored so far: 55
Number of Singers : 65

IR leads the MD's category with 51 songs. MSV is in the second place with 30 songs.
Among the singers SPB is in the lead with 59 songs. SJ in the second place with 43 songs and PS with 41 songs is in the third place.
(KJY-24, Chitra-23, VJ-21).

Keep sending, keep requesting and keep listening.

rajraj
20th November 2005, 07:01 AM
Ramki: And keep on dancing! :) Good job! Keep it up! :)

baroque
20th November 2005, 08:26 AM
:clap: :clap: GREAT JOB, Ramki!!
Thanks a lot for all the gems!!
Looking forward to your future picks romba aasaiyaa!! :D vinatha.

Neel D
20th November 2005, 01:03 PM
Best wishes Ramki. Looking forward to all the rare gems to come.