PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to listen to IR's great songs with max(treble)?

app_engine
12th August 2006, 02:50 AM
Don't worry, this is not techie stuff...only layman stuff.

Most people prefer boosting bass while listening to music (even some music systems have a single key to do that). There are lot of boom-boom speakers to boost bass...

I used to enjoy listening with max db level for lower as well as upper frequencies while attenuating 1Khz...

For some reason, it sounds very nice to hear Raja songs with treble boosted to the max (i.e. raising the level of higher frequencies)...this is whether or not with bass boosting...

Esp songs like `enna saththam indha nEram' sound so sweet with max treble.

Is this the conclusion of some other DF'ers as well? Is there any explanation as to why...this probably helps to understand why some buses "sounded" better those days...

Dragun
13th August 2006, 11:57 AM
Most music sounds best at neutral or roughly neutral settings. Too much treble will make the music sound like it has no "body" or presence. Too much bass will make it sound lifeless and boomy. This is given that the recording is good, of course.

The few IR Oriental Records CDs I've heard have pretty good mastering. No need to futz it up :-)

thamizhvaanan
13th August 2006, 01:16 PM
I prefer to listen to IRs songs in "full bass" . I can identify most of the instruments in that mode... I tried listening under "full treble" but I cudnt hear some of bass guitar and certain other instruments.

VillageGimp
8th October 2006, 10:06 PM
Don't worry, this is not techie stuff...only layman stuff.

Most people prefer boosting bass while listening to music (even some music systems have a single key to do that). There are lot of boom-boom speakers to boost bass...

I used to enjoy listening with max db level for lower as well as upper frequencies while attenuating 1Khz...

For some reason, it sounds very nice to hear Raja songs with treble boosted to the max (i.e. raising the level of higher frequencies)...this is whether or not with bass boosting...

Esp songs like `enna saththam indha nEram' sound so sweet with max treble.

Is this the conclusion of some other DF'ers as well? Is there any explanation as to why...this probably helps to understand why some buses "sounded" better those days...

It happens for all the songs where lyrics takes precedence over instrumentation.

Try hearing Mella, Mella from Vazhkhai or Aasai Nooru Vagai , You would get a better effect with Bass.

Sanjeevi
8th October 2006, 11:46 PM
Once upon a time I liked to increse treble effect at the maximum level.

But now a days I am listening evergreen IR songs with maximum Bass level :D

It is so mesmerising

kiru
9th October 2006, 05:18 AM
It all depends on what the treble knob does on your stereo and the quality of your speakers. Even though recording quality may vary, IR's songs are perfectly matched in terms of level (volume) for each instrument. Ofcourse, he likes to give importance to the vocals (unlike some new MDs). If you have a good amp and speakers, no need to mess with equalizing it.
But a 'good amp and speakers' is an ideal thingy. Some of our friends here who have good stereo systems are using equalizers. I do not use. I like to shoot for the 'ideal system'. Not there yet, but surely getting there.
If having full-range/tower speakers is not feasible, try listening with headphone. The consensus on the Web is, the Grado SR60 is the cheapest good quality headphones. If you want separate equalizers you can get the Behringer (google for it).
I have now moved to PC based playback i.e. CDs are ripped to FLAC format and a Wi-Fi wireless device (squeezebox) near my stereo plays it. The quality of playback with this beats my $500 DVD/CD player (I am told, the Squeezebox is better than even dedicated high-end CD players costing $1-$2K).
If you guys need any technical help in putting together a system or maximizing your current setup, Send me a PM.