PDA

View Full Version : Do any one know the Tamil Word for INCUBATOR ?

AshokLoganathan
17th December 2004, 11:03 PM
Do any one know the Tamil Word for INCUBATOR ?

I want to know the equivalent word for incubator as in :

1. new born babies kept in INCUBATOR ?
2. we have started a new TECHNOLOGY INCUBATOR in our college ?

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH THIS ?

tolstoy
18th December 2004, 07:26 AM
Would suggest KathaKapagam, Kathakapukoodu

Sudhaama
25th December 2004, 03:33 AM
TAMIL Name for INCUBATOR?

Why this Head-breaking Exercise...

.... to CREATE a new NAME for a New INVENTION?

.... What is the necessity?

Just think awhile on our past experience...

... on such FUTILE ENDEAVOUR ! !

Even illiterate People call... even now... after some centuries....

.... only in the near Original forms of English or Arabic.. in practice.

... irrespective of an IMPOSITION of translated TAMIL names.

For Example.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Original .................Tamil-Translation..................... Name in Vogue
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bus ...........................PAERUNDHU.............. ...................... PUSSU ....

Bus-Stand................PAERUNDHU NILAIYAM................PUSTAENDU

Railway Station ....PUHAI-VANHDI NILAIYAM........ RAYIL TAESUN

Park (Rly Stn)........ POONGA.......................................... PAARK TAESAN

Engineer....................PORHIYAALHAR.......... ....................INJINEEYARU

Supervisor............... MAELAALHAR...................................SOOPR AESARU

Jilla (District).......... MAAVATTAM................................... JILLAH

Taluq.......................... VATTAM............................................ THAALUKA

Engine.........................IYANTHIRAM......... .............................INJINU

Hospital.......................MARUTHUVA-MANAI......................AASPITHALU

Similarly if we say "KANINI" for Computer,

... how many people understand it...(.even amongst Tamilians)?...

... better than calling it as COMPUTER ...itself...?

... So to say...in its Original form of Language... whatever be.!!

Similarly people of other States translate in their Language, how can it be understood if all such different people discuss at one meet... even if they discuss through any Indian Non-English media.

We have adequately well-experienced in such conglomerations...!

....when a Tamilian says MINSAARAM...

... Telugus...... VIDHYUTH-SAKTHI....

....Hindiwalahs........ BIJLI....

.... For one and the same well-known word : ELECTRICITY....!!.

English people have NOT translated the Tamil Word KATTU-MARAM..

.... But call it as CATAMARON....

.... which term has been added to their Dictionary too !!

So..Why should we not call it as.... INCUBATOR... in all the Languages?

Why should we not be realistic on this matter, as advised by Rajaji?

Sudhaama
29th December 2004, 09:01 PM
Further on this Subject, I have initiated a PATTI-MANRAM-1...

TRANSLATION or TRANSLITERATION ....?

So to say.... COMPUTER or KANINI

.... Which is best in our interests?

You are invited to view the relevant postings there and comment or criticise or respond as you feel proper.

bis_mala
21st November 2005, 06:48 PM
incubator - [tscii:e6e9295abb]Á¸ô§À¨Æ[/tscii:e6e9295abb]

By the way, in Malaysia - Singapore, a purer version of Tamil is spoken by the Tamil-speaking Indians (not necessarily all of them are Tamils by origin, there are Malayalees and Telugus and others also). There are posters having the word 'pErunthu" in our buses. Our radio and tv stations use "vaanoli" "tholakkaatchi". Phrases such as "olioLi" are heard often.

A board at the entrance of temple says: kaalaNikaLai ingkE vidduch chellavum". Temple committee calls itself: aalaya mELaNmaik kuzu". We do not use the word committee unless speaking in English. When we speak Malay, we do not use the word: committee. We use the Malay word. We do not mix up.

But our South Indian foreign workers here use more English words than English graduates here when speaking Tamil. "Intha temple-le innikku food irukkaa?" and not " kOvillE prasaatham irukkka". Indian maids rarely speak a Tamil sentence without a few English words.
Not kuzanthaikkup paal thiirnthuduchchu" but "baby food finish aachchu". These category of workers are corrupting the Tamil here - not deliberately of course!!

I have today's MALAYSIA NANBAN: A news item reads:

[tscii:e6e9295abb]"þí¸¢Ä¡óÐ ¸¡¾Ä¢ìÌ ±Ø¾¢Â ¸Ê¾õ Òò¾¸Á¡¸ ¦ÅǢ¢¼ôÀθ¢ÈÐ - §ÀÃý ±¾¢÷ôÒ, ¸¡ÅÄШÈ¢¼õ Ò¸¡÷!" (Á§Äº¢Â ¿ñÀý)

§À¡Ä¢º¢ø Ò¸¡÷ ±ýÚ ±Ø¾¡¾ ¿ñÀÛìÌô À¡Ã¡ðÎì¸û.[/tscii:e6e9295abb]

honey bee
22nd November 2005, 06:22 PM
I think sudhaama sir can't help himself in spraying his scent here too. The goal here is to find an appropriate word that satisfy the Incubator in Tamil but he (Sudhaama) proves his inability once again.

What about "adaippeddi"? I would have helped myself with "adaikaakum petti" as I seldom use Tamil in the part of world where I am living and it is also not at all required.

bis_mala,
you are write when you say that the Indian-Tamil-Speakers face more problems in speaking Tamil than the Tamils from other nations. From my last trip to Sri Lanka I learned that Tamil Tigers force the People to take care of speaking pure Tamil for example like Kanthoor instead of aapis. It is not LTTE forcing them, I should better say that they show very much interest that the Tamils speak correct Tamil.

What will be the "INCUBATION (time, period)" in Tamil?

mahadevan
23rd November 2005, 12:27 AM
Incubation - Adaikaathal
Incubate - Adaikaaru
Incubation time/period - Adaikaathal Naeram

TRANSLATION or TRANSLITERATION ....?
If the target language is capable of translation then it is definetly preferred, for nouns we may transliterate for non native stuffs if a suitable translation is not available, but for verbs I belive we have to translate, that is the way all languages have been growing.

bis_mala
23rd November 2005, 07:39 PM
incubation period: (diseases) [tscii:9ee68b0f3b]°ýÚ¸¡Äõ, ÅÇ÷¿¢¨Äì ¸¡Äõ,[/tscii:9ee68b0f3b]

incubation time: (non diseases) [tscii:9ee68b0f3b]«¨¼¿¢¨Äì ¸¡Äõ[/tscii:9ee68b0f3b]

incubator (for animals and birds) - [tscii:9ee68b0f3b]«¨¼¸¡ôÒô§À¨Æ[/tscii:9ee68b0f3b]

bis_mala
23rd November 2005, 07:44 PM
honey bee.

Tigers force the People to take care of speaking pure Tamil for example like Kanthoor instead of aapis.

A good service to Tamil, praiseworthy. Thanks for the info.
================================================== ==================

to "anti-translators" of Tamil:

It is important that we use Tamil words when speaking Tamil. We have to guard ourselves in this respect when we are speaking Tamil on a formal occasion, as when giving a talk or writing an essay for others to read in any media. We should use Tamil terms such as kaNini for computer when teaching a class in Tamil It is not proper to use Tamil terms when talking English/Chinese/Malay/French or whatever and it is also not proper to use other language words when speaking/writing Tamil. If you do not know, you should come back to what is proper as soon as you are informed or you come to know it.

As to cracking your head on the exercise of translation, if you think you will crack up, then take a rest and let others do it. Others may have the inclination and disposition to do so adeptly. There may also be some who may crack up if they do not translate.

Do you know that the ordinary Chinese does not use Eng. words like car and telephone like the Tamils do when speaking Tamil.!! Even the Malays and Indons do not say "expressway" but "lebuhraya!" They use adapted English words (Police > polisi or polis) when they do not have one. Certainly, your love for Tamil is not lower than their love for their mother-tongue!!

[tscii:f5facf672e]
Óý§É¡÷ ±ò¾¨É ±ò¾¨É ¾Á¢ú¡ü¸¨Çô À¨¼òÐ ¿Áì¸Ç¢òÐûÇÉ÷!
«Å÷¸û Ò¾¢Â ¦º¡ü¸¨Çô À¨¼ò¾Ç¢ò¾¢Ã¡Å¢ð¼¡ø, ¿õ ¦Á¡Æ¢ ±ùÅÇ× À¢üÀðÎì ¸¢¼ó¾¢ÕìÌõ ±ýÀ¨¾ ±ñ½¢ôÀ¡÷츧ÅñÎõ. ¿¡õ þòШÈ¢ø §º¡õ§ÀÈ¢¸Ç¡ö þÕì¸ìܼ¡Ð.[/tscii:f5facf672e]

mahadevan
26th November 2005, 06:42 AM
Pardon me for the digression, what is the root for madhiyanam,madiyam noon/afternoon ? is it sanskrit based or as usual sanskrit getting it from Tanil ?, madhiya is also found in words like Madhyapradesh in north India

bis_mala
26th November 2005, 04:36 PM
Mr Mahadevan, can I bring you to "Is Tamil derived from Sanskrit" thread where I have posted, answering your query (post dated today). Thank you and happy reading!!

jjsranjit
3rd February 2006, 07:56 PM
What is the tamil translation of "Carromboard" ?

aravindhan
4th February 2006, 05:00 AM
From my last trip to Sri Lanka I learned that Tamil Tigers force the People to take care of speaking pure Tamil for example like Kanthoor instead of aapis.
Ironically, "kantor" is itself a loan-word, borrowed from Dutch "kantoor". If it is pure Tamil one is concerned about, it's really no better than "aapis", unless having been borrowed two hundred years earlier makes it more acceptable.

If you're looking for good Tamil words, try "uttiyOkacAlai" or "toziRcAlai", both of which I've heard used in TN.

bis_mala
4th February 2006, 05:43 AM
[tscii:8909a01252]What is the tamil translation of "Carromboard" ?

Å¢ÃÄ¡Ê §Á¨¼ «øÄРŢÃÄ¡Êô ÀĨ¸.[/tscii:8909a01252]

bingleguy
3rd March 2006, 06:03 PM
Incubator could be

Adai Kaakkum Karuvi

bis_mala
3rd March 2006, 07:32 PM
If it is something more complex with some built-in equipment, you can always call it a karuvi...

The test for differentiation appears to be: Does the so-called "karuvi" do anything more sophisticated than the "kuruvi".(adaikaakkum kuruvi).

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:39 AM
[tscii:9f551413b4]What is the tamil translation of "Carromboard" ?

Å¢ÃÄ¡Ê §Á¨¼ «øÄРŢÃÄ¡Êô ÀĨ¸.[/tscii:9f551413b4]

is this for real or are u making it up?

Sudhaama
10th April 2006, 09:01 PM
My dear Friends,

There is another Thread quite COMPREHENSIVE on this important Tpic well-relevent to Modern-culture for contemporary days practice in the day to day affairs... either in Office or Business or Common-chat.

I have raised certain IMPORTANT PRACTICAL QUESTIONS there several months back.... in that Thread:

"PRESERVE AND NURTURE TAMIL-LANGUAGE.... HOW?"

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=115200#115200

why none of you attempt to reply those logical Questions...

...instead of criticising me personally...? Why Not you all think PRACTICALLY....

... instead of CREATING NEW WORDS exclusively for Tamil REDUNDANTLY?

....Is it Not TAMIL-FANATICISM?... How you are helping yourselves and the posterity by this SELF-CENTEREDAPPROACH... while the present day world is transforming towards Global-outlook?

When you discuss in a Forum of Tamilians and Non-Tamilians... do you say KANINI or Computer?....

...Why you should break the Heads of Tamilians alone, especially the tender brains of Children, to know two Names for a SINGLE INVENTION Computer....What benefit you get out of it?

Why not we fall in line with the rest of the World to call all the NEW INVENTIONS ....like XRAY, ELECTRICITY, COMPUTER, INCUBATOR etc... in their Original Names, by Transliteration... UNIFORMLY all over the world?

...thus duly honouring the Intellectuals like Rajaji advises.

Dear friends ... all of you are just WASTING YOUR TIME AND ENERGY in this unnecessary task...

..which is a NEGATIVE-APPROACH of Parochialism and Fanaticism...

...deleterious for the present and future Generations of innocent TAMILIANS AND TAMILANS ONLY....

...An UNDUE AND UNWORTHY PUNISHMENT!... Caused by Chauvinism?

manyvan2000
10th April 2006, 09:49 PM
Any living language should keep adding new words. This is true with any language.

....Is it Not TAMIL-FANATICISM?... How you are helping yourselves and the posterity by this SELF-CENTEREDAPPROACH... while the present day world is transforming towards Global-outlook?
Coining new words is not fanatism. This is not self-centered approach.

When you discuss in a Forum of Tamilians and Non-Tamilians... do you say KANINI or Computer?....
Can you guarantee that all non-tamilians would know english?

...Why you should break the Heads of Tamilians alone, especially the tender brains of Children, to know two Names for a SINGLE INVENTION Computer....What benefit you get out of it?
so that tamil lives. look at the fate of sanskrit. we dont want the same to happen to tamil.

Why not we fall in line with the rest of the World to call all the NEW INVENTIONS ....like XRAY, ELECTRICITY, COMPUTER, INCUBATOR etc... in their Original Names, by Transliteration... UNIFORMLY all over the world?
rest of the world doesnt refer to only english speaking countries.

this is a positive approach and should be appreciated.

...deleterious for the present and future Generations of innocent TAMILIANS AND TAMILANS ONLY.
language is not just a means of communication. its much more than that. its because of the language that indians in general are considered to be good in mathematics, software and many other fields.
the language gives power.

Sudhaama
11th April 2006, 11:29 PM
Any living language should keep adding new words. This is true with any language.

Coining new words is not fanatism. This is not self-centered approach.

Can you guarantee that all non-tamilians would know english?

so that tamil lives. look at the fate of sanskrit. we dont want the same to happen to tamil.

rest of the world doesnt refer to only english speaking countries.

this is a positive approach and should be appreciated.

...deleterious for the present and future Generations of innocent TAMILIANS AND TAMILANS ONLY.
language is not just a means of communication. its much more than that. its because of the language that indians in general are considered to be good in mathematics, software and many other fields.
the language gives power.

Thanks for reply.... But it needs a detailed REPUDIATION point by point... which I will take up as soon as my health permits..

In the mean time, I invite others Views too... Pro or Anti... according to individual opinions.

manyvan2000
12th April 2006, 01:36 AM
But it needs a detailed REPUDIATION point by point... which I will take up as soon as my health permits..
Any time ...

sundararaj
30th November 2006, 03:43 PM
I agree with the views expressed by Ms Maalaa.