PDA

View Full Version : Nandhalala : Myskin

Pages : [1] 2 3

kameshratnam
16th October 2006, 10:13 AM
[html:e0ed117796]http://image1.indiaglitz.com/tamil/wallpaper/MOVIES/nandhalala/nandhalala1_800_030708.jpg[/html:e0ed117796]
This week Ananda vikatan has lots of good info abt IR

IR's new film with myskin is named Nandhalala and ir has already done 2 songs..one of which he has written and composed

Drums Mani :) is composing an album by name Mahaleela and he says he has roped in Zakir hussain, A R Rahman, a pattinathar padal and also hopes to get ir in that album

Kamesh

MrJudge
25th October 2006, 12:30 PM
Watched Mysskin's Chiththiram Pesuthadi during this Diwali holidays. A very good movie, don't know how I missed it on big screen. His style of movie making has lot of visuals and IR will have big scope for his Background scores.

MrJudge
17th March 2008, 10:37 PM
Nandhalala will start rolling from this June.

MrJudge
26th March 2008, 12:21 PM
Director Mysskin turns hero
By Moviebuzz | Wednesday, 26 March , 2008, 10:48

Kollywood is littered with directors turning heroes in the last five years. Take a look at directors like Cheran, S.J Suryah, Sundar.C, Perarasu, Thankar Bachchan who have turned heroes or played cameo in their films.

Recently Ameer too has put on the grease paint and the latest, most unlikely entrant to join the bandwagon is director Mysskin. The noted director who makes critically acclaimed films that does well at the box-office like Chitiram Pesuthadi and this year's big hit Anjathey is now turning hero with a vengeance.

Mysskin, after the success of his Anjathey was in talks with Surya to do his next film. Surya was impressed by his script but could give dates only end 2009, but the director wanted priority "Tatkal" dates. Surya a total professional had prior commitments and was in no position to give immediate dates.

Meanwhile Mysskin wanted to start his film immediately and looked around for a newcomer. He is said to have zeroed in on Arya's younger brother Shahir, but found him too good looking for the character he had in mind.

The latest we hear is that Mysskin himself has decided to do the role, but will not announce his debut as an actor till he reduces his weight and makes himself suitable for the big screen. He is now on a crash diet and is working out for the hero look, and has given himself three months to get into shape.

The grapevine has it that he has signed up with Ayngaran International who will produce the film on first copy basis for a reasonable Rs 4.25 Crore. The cast including the heroine will consist of newcomers and technical team will have all Mysskin regulars.

:roll: :roll:

Devar Magan
11th April 2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=64172&tid=2593555743049623150

the executive producer of Nandhala confirms that Raja scores the music for nandhala.. already one song composed and its rocking he says..

thumburu
11th April 2008, 11:52 AM
There seems to be a lot of request for Sundar.C.Babu. Hope Raja caters to his fans too so that SundAR would not be missed that much :)

raja_fan
11th April 2008, 09:40 PM
Devar Magan,

Can you please paste the news here ? I do not have an orkut account..

Devar Magan
11th April 2008, 11:51 PM
Devar Magan,

Can you please paste the news here ? I do not have an orkut account.. srikanth, one of the producers of Chithiram pesuthadi and executive producer in all of Myskin's movies, reported in orkut that Raja is composing the music for nandala.. already one gem of a song has been composed..

MrJudge
18th April 2008, 11:21 AM
Finally Nandhalala is taking off. In this week's AV, Myskkin has spoken about the plot. It is about a 6 year child and 30 year guy looking for their respective moms and on their way they meet 32 people and how their lives are changed after the meets is the story. "padaththukku Ilaiyaraajavoda isai periya varamaa irukkum".

He has taken off his beard and looks very different from his earlier looks.

I hope Mysskin insists IR to use 95% manual orchestra with 5% synth and if he makes him to avoid tabla, that will be a treat.

raja_fan
18th April 2008, 02:52 PM
MrJudge,

Thanks for the info.

Friends, can we discuss about Nandhalala in IR's new albums here after ? Let it be in one place please !

MrJudge
5th June 2008, 05:22 PM
[tscii:042da3ed19] Mysskin reveals intentions and aspirations!
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
June 04, 2008

It is known that Mysskin is donning the lead for the self-directed Nandhalala. However, looks like, it is not the potential stardom or limelight that brought this director in front of the camera to play the lead. In a recent interview to a tabloid he revealed that the role was far from what a normal protagonist would portray since it was that of a sub-normal man and his effort to thrive in the society.

“I created this role and spruced it up in my mind for a long time to perfection,” Mysskin reasoned, adding that it was only natural that he decided to don the greasepaint for it. “However, I don’t have any intention to pursue acting after this,” he mentioned as a matter of fact.

Ilayaraja replaces Mysskin’s musician mascot Sundar C for Nandhalala and Mysskin is all gaga over the Maestro. Five songs have been composed so far and the sixth song is getting in shape. “I am astounded at the Maestro’s ability to weave music for the mildest of emotions and is spellbound to have associated with him,” Mysskin mentioned.[/tscii:042da3ed19]

kameshratnam
6th June 2008, 11:11 AM
Todays dina thanthi has ad of Nandalala...
Nandala
Ilayaraaja
Mysskin

Ad ellam nalla than irukku :lol:

k_vanan
6th June 2008, 04:40 PM
Todays dina thanthi has ad of Nandalala...
Nandala
Ilayaraaja
Mysskin

Ad ellam nalla than irukku :lol:

Athela onnum tappu illaye. Ithluirunta onnu mattum puriyuthu mysskin oru uyarentha manithan, yaruku varum inta perunthanmai IR nameku appuram Mysskin peru even dir. bala never do so.

MYSSKIN :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy:

sgmsin
6th June 2008, 04:54 PM
No vanan, bala also did the same. If you happen to watch sethu and pithamagan,Please observe that movie starts with mentioning "with grand music of Maestro Ilayaraja".

sarna_blr
6th June 2008, 04:56 PM
Watched Mysskin's Chiththiram Pesuthadi during this Diwali holidays. A very good movie, don't know how I missed it on big screen. His style of movie making has lot of visuals and IR will have big scope for his Background scores.

:shock: neenga Mouna raagam padam paaththadhEy illayaa :?

kameshratnam
6th June 2008, 05:21 PM
k_vanan Annen

I said all this is fine but will the music hit the stands

Even a CM Film audio is difficult to get

raajarasigan
6th June 2008, 07:08 PM
stills encouraging...

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/Gallery/tamil-movies-events/photos-5/nandalala-movie/mysskin-01.html

rajasaranam
6th June 2008, 08:36 PM
few of my friends called up saying Chennai is filled with 'Nandalala' posters with Raaja's name above Mysskin. Goosepimples :oops: I was sad that Iam not able to see that poster...thanks to rr for the links from behindwoods. vayathula Paala Vaartheenga :)
And as someone pointed out 'Mysskin' has given the due credit by putting Raaja's name above himself. hoping for a blockbuster hit :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :boo:

rajasaranam
6th June 2008, 08:41 PM
just now saw the posters closely to know who the producers are. ayngaran & GV films'nnu irukku. Raaja kovam ellam thanididuchu Poala :) thats a good sign indeed 8-)

raja_fan
6th June 2008, 09:07 PM
Friends,

Please ! Please ! let us have the discussion under one place i.e IR's new albums thread.

We cannot be opening one thread for each movie IR signs up !

Rajasaranam, unga kitte support edhirpaarkkaren, please !

rajasaranam
7th June 2008, 12:31 AM
Friends,

Please ! Please ! let us have the discussion under one place i.e IR's new albums thread.

We cannot be opening one thread for each movie IR signs up !

Rajasaranam, unga kitte support edhirpaarkkaren, please !

I too thought of Streamlining the process fewmonths ago but nothing happened :(
Well If you really mean things to be streamlined Discuss 'New albums' after the release of the album in that thread and lets discuss everything else in news & titbits thread :)

raja_fan
7th June 2008, 07:38 AM
Yes, or we can take that any new album signed by IR as IR's new album and discuss that in that thread.

And "news and tidbits" thread can be for any other news on IR like people mentioning about IR in their interviews etc.

But we cannot have a seperate thread for each film like "Nandalala", "Naan kadavul" , "Dhanam", etc etc.

I hope my fellow IR fans will understand this and cooperate :)

rajasaranam
7th June 2008, 08:41 PM
I Differ r_f :| Let New albums be exclusively for discussing the albums after release cos we are not sure that the movies that are being announced will happen or not :) So lets discuss all else in news & titbits section only...that was purpose to start such a thread!
I dont see that happening at all :(

raja_fan
7th June 2008, 09:23 PM
RS,

Ok then, I agree with your proposal..The point we agree is that we should have a single place to see for any updates..not a n number of threads going simultaneously :-)

MrJudge
8th June 2008, 12:01 PM

I have seen it. why are you asking this question? :?

MrJudge
8th June 2008, 12:08 PM
RS,

Ok then, I agree with your proposal..The point we agree is that we should have a single place to see for any updates..not a n number of threads going simultaneously :-)

I beg to differ. I don't visit IR's new albums thread that often. I don't want to read all of them and I am interested to read/know about particular projects like NK, Nandhalala only. So why can't we have separate threads atleast for these notable projects?

raja_fan
8th June 2008, 09:40 PM
I don't want to read all of them and I am interested to read/know about particular projects like NK, Nandhalala only. So why can't we have separate threads atleast for these notable projects?

NK, Nandhalala would be of your interest and notable to you. For some body else, it will be another film. Ippadiye ponaa kitta thatta 10-12 threads irukkum.
Ok..if we are not going for a consensus, let it be like each one's wish :-(

MrJudge
9th June 2008, 10:55 AM
I don't want to read all of them and I am interested to read/know about particular projects like NK, Nandhalala only. So why can't we have separate threads atleast for these notable projects?

NK, Nandhalala would be of your interest and notable to you. For some body else, it will be another film. Ippadiye ponaa kitta thatta 10-12 threads irukkum.
Ok..if we are not going for a consensus, let it be like each one's wish :-(

raja_fan,

As we have a separate section for IR, I don't think having 10-12 threads will do any harm. But I can sense that discussing about his new films by hubbers is becoming less and less these days, it makes sense to have all under one thread. But we can have separate threads for atleast some notable projects, that way non-IR fans too can just browse and see what is going on those particular projects.

sarna_blr
9th June 2008, 11:12 AM

I have seen it. why are you asking this question? :?

CP is similar to MR .... there Karthik-Revathi ... here Hero- Bhavana ... :sigh2:

the BGM also sounds to be similar....

But saturday I saw Anjaadhey... wt a wonderfull movie.. :clap:

few scenes reminded me Mahanadhi... but really worth a watch...

Myshkin... now I am eagerly awaiting for ur Nandhalaalaa... :D

MrJudge
9th June 2008, 11:27 AM
CP is similar to MR .... there Karthik-Revathi ... here Hero- Bhavana ...

Karthik episode comes just 15-20 mins in MR, as a matter of fact any movies involving a rowdy's love will fall under that episode :huh: If you haven't watched Nenjaththai Killathey yet, watch it immediately, you will know where Mouna Raagam was inspired/copied from, mani :banghead:

MrJudge
9th June 2008, 11:28 AM

Now you are talking :D Glad to know that you liked it too.

sarna_blr
9th June 2008, 11:44 AM
CP is similar to MR .... there Karthik-Revathi ... here Hero- Bhavana ...

Karthik episode comes just 15-20 mins in MR, as a matter of fact any movies involving a rowdy's love will fall under that episode :huh: If you haven't watched Nenjaththai Killathey yet, watch it immediately, you will know where Mouna Raagam was inspired/copied from, mani :banghead:

Muthuraman ( father of Karthik) nadichcha padam dhaana.. I havent seen yet.. let me see it.. :)

sarna_blr
9th June 2008, 11:47 AM

Now you are talking :D Glad to know that you liked it too.

unmailayE super'aa irundhadhu padam... ovvoru Dialogue'um superb...

MrJudge
9th June 2008, 12:35 PM
Muthuraman ( father of Karthik) nadichcha padam dhaana.. I havent seen yet.. let me see it.. :)

No no... It's Mahendran's movie *ing Mohan, Suhasini, Sarath Babu and Pratap Boththan. Lot of things are similar to Mouna Raagam. BTW, the Karthik episode is also mani's own recycle from his kannada movie. So Mouna raagam is an old wine.

MrJudge
10th June 2008, 09:51 AM
[tscii:2cd813cbcc]Mysskin's 'Nandhalala' – creativity unleashed
IndiaGlitz [Monday, June 09, 2008]

Mysskin's story 'Nandhalala' has impressed a lot of people including music maestro Ilayaraja and he is composing music for the film right now. The movie is about a 6 year old child and a 30 year old man who search for their respective mothers. They end up meeting a number of people and influence their lives in a big way.

Industry sources reveal that Trasky Maruthu (the actor who played Madhavan's father in 'Vaazhthukkal') and director Mysskin have a great creative rapport and had a lot brain storming sessions, so much so that Trasky Maruthu has been appointed the Creative Director of the film.

They had actually met up to discuss about a superhero character for a story in comic format and went ahead discussing about a lot more. The rapport they struck seemed tremendous and we can probably look forward to their association in many more projects.

Rambon is working on the art direction of 'Nandhalala'.

Posters of the film are being made with pencil sketches and the mood they create relates to the storyline. Probably the first time this is being done elaborately in the Tamil film industry. A very innovative approach indeed.[/tscii:2cd813cbcc]

rajasaranam
20th June 2008, 01:40 PM
I chanced upon listening to One of the songs from 'Nandalala' :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
An aspiring singer of mine called and said he is in a recording studio right then and asked me to identify a song which was running in the background. The tune instantly caught me and I said its Raaja's music for sure and should be definitely a 80's masterpiece which Iam unaware off. He laughed and said It's from 'Nandalala' dear. This is just a glimpse of whats in store from Raaja in 'Nandalala' The song was a typical 'Thaalaattu' sung by KJY in the lines of 'Kanne Kalaimaane' :) The song went something like 'Ondrukondru thunai irukkum intha ulagathilae...Anbu mattum Anaathaiyya?...' Wow what a soothing melody it was and the tune is etched in my mind in the first listening itself...and Iam humming it always :swinghead: 'Raajanna Raajaathaan' Right script-Right Directors-Right Inspirations will make this man work wonders :)

vigneshram
20th June 2008, 02:16 PM
I chanced upon listening to One of the songs from 'Nandalala' :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
An aspiring singer of mine called and said he is in a recording studio right then and asked me to identify a song which was running in the background. The tune instantly caught me and I said its Raaja's music for sure and should be definitely a 80's masterpiece which Iam unaware off. He laughed and said It's from 'Nandalala' dear. This is just a glimpse of whats in store from Raaja in 'Nandalala' The song was a typical 'Thaalaattu' sung by KJY in the lines of 'Kanne Kalaimaane' :) The song went something like 'Ondrukondru thunai irukkum intha ulagathilae...Anbu mattum Anaathaiyya?...' Wow what a soothing melody it was and the tune is etched in my mind in the first listening itself...and Iam humming it always :swinghead: 'Raajanna Raajaathaan' Right script-Right Directors-Right Inspirations will make this man work wonders :)

:bluejump: :bluejump: Can't wait...

RS, appadiyae andha phone conversationa record panniyirundhaa nallaa irundhirukkum...

raja_fan
20th June 2008, 03:49 PM
RS,

Good news ! :)
But ungalai ennaal romba namba mudiyalai. Because you are a IR fanatic, so might be too much excited for even a ordinary work of IR :)
If you want to prove me wrong, you have to upload your voice humming that tune ( as you still have that running in your mind ) :wink:

Shankar
20th June 2008, 05:04 PM
>>>>>>
If you want to prove me wrong, you have to upload your voice humming that tune ( as you still have that running in your mind )
<<<<<<

I won't believe it's a classic even then...you know why ? Raja would then spoil it with some synth arragements :-(

selvakumar
20th June 2008, 05:18 PM
enna ivvalavu pessimism. :? I don't think Myskin will allow sub standard songs. Anjaathey songs were good. It will reach the common man. Intha synth, santhu ellam irukattum. ketkura maari irunthaalae pothumnnu nenakiraen.

MrJudge
20th June 2008, 06:23 PM
I won't believe it's a classic even then...you know why ? Raja would then spoil it with some synth arragements :-(

Yeah, Raja spoils his songs with hallow synth nowadays. Add "average recording feel" to them, they are his products. I think people who know this are afraid to explain to him :(

For Pithamagan also he used synths but recorded and mixed by better sound engineers (I think it was done by Yuvan's team, Thukkaram and some other guy). So I am expecting Naan Kadavul and Nandhalala both are recorded and mixed by some new good sound engineers (or atleast by Yuvan's team) instead of his regular Prasad studios team. If this wish is materialized, we can expect a better output. :D

rajasaranam
21st June 2008, 11:26 AM
RS,

Good news ! :)
But ungalai ennaal romba namba mudiyalai. Because you are a IR fanatic, so might be too much excited for even a ordinary work of IR :)
If you want to prove me wrong, you have to upload your voice humming that tune ( as you still have that running in your mind ) :wink:

Amaan Naan Raaja Fanatic thaan Aana Phone Pannavan, Romba naal munnadiyae Raaja ini Velaikku aaga maataarnnu sonnavan :evil: He discusses with me only the songs of Raaja from 80's or early 90's and he never intends to knows any new albums of Raaja unless it becomes a hit. Thats why when he called up, I instantly said it shud be a song from 80's :) When a person who has written off Raaja is excited It speaks volumes about the song. :)

raja_fan
22nd June 2008, 07:58 AM
RS,

Thanks. Now I get much confidence :)
But, sung by KJY...? :( That casts doubt on the song..It is high time for IR to give retirement to KJY..

rajaalltheway
23rd June 2008, 01:29 PM
RS,

Thanks. Now I get much confidence :)
But, sung by KJY...? :( That casts doubt on the song..It is high time for IR to give retirement to KJY..
Hardly agree to that Raja fan.Its sad that KJY is not being used the way he should have by mds including Isaignani.How much i wish the songs rendered by sonu nigam and hariharan from Oru naal oru kanavu were in KJYs voice in the usual FAZIL-AYYA tradition.Koncham thira would have wafted all over TN and Kerala.Just remember the brilliant Thanthana thanthana from THAVASI and AARAARIRAARO from RAAM.KJY has got a lot more to offer just like AYYA.

raja_fan
23rd June 2008, 01:59 PM
rajaalltheway,

KJY is one of those people in the field who unfortunately fail to realize that they are old aged now :(
Hear his voice in recent Mallu songs..like "Kaiyetthaa" from Vinodayatra..you will know how he has lost his golden voice..

kameshratnam
23rd June 2008, 02:52 PM
High time people like Mano are utilized...last week i heard malayala karaioram...beautifully rendered by that guy and Raaja shd call back Mano and use him well...he is far more better than the others

Sureshs65
24th June 2008, 02:24 PM
While I agree with raja_fan about KJY, especially 'Kaiyeta', I did find his voice quite good in the other Malayalam movie, 'Sooryan', where he sang 'Manase Manase'. I do wish he was at his peak and had rendered the songs in 'Uliyin Osai'. I guess that is the secret of great singers like KJY and SPB. When they render it you don't say, "Wish someone else had rendered it" but I get this feeling when I hear many of the current lot.

Vkrish
24th June 2008, 11:21 PM
<<<<<So I am expecting Naan Kadavul and Nandhalala both are recorded and mixed by some new good sound engineers (or atleast by Yuvan's team) instead of his regular Prasad studios team. If this wish is materialized, we can expect a better output>>>>
I too feel sound engineering definitely matters the most in Raja's songs these days. I was quite thrilled when i listened to the amazing sound clarity and depth in Cheenikum and Siva2006 songs... such an output is definitely missing in his regular prasad studio stuffs. ARR definitely stands a way ahead on this, as almost all his albums are engineered and delivered by none other than H.Sridhar.

Sureshs65
25th June 2008, 12:47 PM
I too will vote for 'better sound' :)) As Vkrish has pointed out the songs of Cheeni Kum and Shiva2006 sound much more modern though the tunes belong to the 80s !!! I am sure many of the recent songs of Raja would have got a better reception if sound engineering is better. This has been a mystery to me since even the latest kid on the block is able to get a very good level of sound quality.

MrJudge
26th June 2008, 12:08 PM
VKrish, Sureshs65:

IR's recording was way above than others during 80s and early 90s. But somehow he lost it during the 90s, I don't think good recording is a big challenge because every second rate MDs are doing it right now. I wonder why IR doesn't take care of it even now. Just listen to the songs he sung for Yuvan (Nanda, Pattiayal, PV), and the songs he sings for his own projects/KR, there is a vast difference between them. Hope he should take care of it in the upcoming projects.

MrJudge
3rd July 2008, 07:22 PM
Director Mysskin came onto the Kalaignar TV morning programme couple of weeks back, he shared some news about Nandhalala and other general things:

* Nandhalala is a simple story and will be told in simple way
* lots of humour in the movie, everybody will enjoy it from grandmas to kids
* after he finished the script, he wrote down IR's name next to it, he said "Only IR can do justice to this script"
* he is acting in it after a few lead actors denied the role
* "you have changed your friend Sundar babu and gone to IR this time. won't he be angry?"
"no, after he listens to the songs, I am sure he will be happy that I've got good songs. my friend Kapilan has written one song in this movie and he asked a promise from me that whenever I work with IR, I should give him atleast one song"
* "tell us your experience working with IR"
"there are five songs in the movie, earlier we planned for 10 songs. when composing songs, IR gets into many minute details, I was bowled over. He asks like 'what is the landscape? is there a mountain? what colour saree the heroine wears? does she have kolusu? who else dances with her? etc. I was with him for composing for the first two days and I left all things to him. he does everything very meticulously. I usually sit with Sundar babu and my lyricists for composing until they are done with it. But for this movie, I left everything to IR"

* "you have given two hits now and many stars will want to work with you in future. will you accept if they want to change something in your script?"
"No, I won't compromise in my script for anybody. If I can write 80 scenes and someone asks me to change the 8th scene, I won't do it"
"what if there is indeed a flaw in the 8th scene?"
"still I won't do it. we are not making master pieces here. If there is a scene with a flaw, let it be there. I won't change it for anybody"

* "what's your next project?"
"I am doing a project with Surya in the lead. Surya called me after he saw Anjaathey, he congradulated me and expressed his desire to work with me."

raja_fan
4th July 2008, 08:27 AM
But I am less confident that Raja can give Mysskin a popular tune like "Katthaazhai.." or "Vaala meenukkum.." .

He will shine in other songs, but off late his mass kuthu numbers lack lusture..nothing near to "Rasave sitterumbu.." etc.

MrJudge
4th July 2008, 02:14 PM
But I am less confident that Raja can give Mysskin a popular tune like "Katthaazhai.." or "Vaala meenukkum.." .

He will shine in other songs, but off late his mass kuthu numbers lack lusture..nothing near to "Rasave sitterumbu.." etc.

If he wanted kaththaazha or vaal meenukkum, he would not have come to IR in the first place. So the reason he went to IR is for melodies and also esp for BGM. So please don't expect kuththu songs in Nandhalala.

selvakumar
4th July 2008, 02:47 PM
The beauty of a composer lies in his sincerity to reach out to the people. Didn't he give songs like 'Kaana karunguyilae' ? I would be happy if he is able to give kuthu songs that can rival the other two we saw in the last two myskin films.
IR enna thiyaagiya... eppavum serious music podurathukku.

jaiganes
4th July 2008, 04:04 PM
The beauty of a composer lies in his sincerity to reach out to the people. Didn't he give songs like 'Kaana karunguyilae' ? I would be happy if he is able to give kuthu songs that can rival the other two we saw in the last two myskin films.
IR enna thiyaagiya... eppavum serious music podurathukku.

Thalaiva..
Kuthu paatunaalum adhukku oru 'idhu' venum.
Andha 'idhu' scriptle illainna, onyum veliye varaadhu.
Kaadhalil vizundhaena 'nakka mukka' ketteengala?
IR paattu reach aagalai ippongaradhu thavaraana thagaval.
IR kittendhu asaadhaaranamaana padalgalai dhaan rasigarlgal edhirparkaranga.
Adhu kidaikaadha podhu enna janaranjagamaa avar pottu irundhaalum manam yaetrukkolvadhillai.

rajasaranam
4th July 2008, 04:15 PM

If he wanted kaththaazha or vaal meenukkum, he would not have come to IR in the first place. So the reason he went to IR is for melodies and also esp for BGM. So please don't expect kuththu songs in Nandhalala.

Iam Ethirparking a Kuthu Song on the lines of 'Singari Sarakku' or 'Ayya Voodu thoranthuthaan kedakku'.
The best from his recent offering was "Immathundu Manasu" from 'Madhu' The orshestration was great! reminiscing the vintage Raaja of 'Singari Sarakku'. The Energy level was High in the song. Sad that the movie bombed, Else It could have been the 'Manmadha Raasa' of that Year.

raja_fan
4th July 2008, 05:36 PM

Idhellaam summaa..purudaa..
Ennavo..ippo vara IR paattellaam melody-la oori vandhaa maadhiri sollaadheenga..

For a serious "Anjaadhe" script, Katthaazha song was just a relaxer..
Like wise Mysskin will have some situation for Nandalala too..because every director will have a style/formula.

My fear is that Sundar.CB has successfuly set some expectations for Myskkin films now..Namma thalaivar adhai innum perisu pannanum..raja salaithavar illai-nu kaattanum..adhaan..

MrJudge
4th July 2008, 07:18 PM
Iam Ethirparking a Kuthu Song on the lines of 'Singari Sarakku' or 'Ayya Voodu thoranthuthaan kedakku'.
The best from his recent offering was "Immathundu Manasu" from 'Madhu' The orshestration was great! reminiscing the vintage Raaja of 'Singari Sarakku'. The Energy level was High in the song. Sad that the movie bombed, Else It could have been the 'Manmadha Raasa' of that Year.

I am not expecting kuththu song in Nandhalala. The last kuththu song from IR I liked was Kanak karunguyile, (i like oththa rooba thaaren but it comes under folk category?), didn't like that much ayya voodu. Sorry I didn't listen to Immathundu manasu from Madhu. I moved totally away from IR and settled with Yuvan these days. Anyway I hope even if they have a kuththu song, IR should have used manual orchestra to get his trademark energy level. :D

MrJudge
4th July 2008, 07:29 PM
Idhellaam summaa..purudaa..
Ennavo..ippo vara IR paattellaam melody-la oori vandhaa maadhiri sollaadheenga..

appadi sollala even if you take Mayakannadi, ulagile azhagi is a decent song but I can't find any decent kuththu song from IR recently. So my point is his melodies are still listenable. Another example is Julie Ganapahty, I liked atleast 3 songs from it including thanni konjam.

My fear is that Sundar.CB has successfuly set some expectations for Myskkin films now..Namma thalaivar adhai innum perisu pannanum..raja salaithavar illai-nu kaattanum..adhaan..

Yes, you are right. Sunar CB has got only one song right in CP but in Anjaathey all three songs are good including the melody song manasukkul. If IR satisfied Mysskin, then songs should be decent.

MrJudge
4th July 2008, 07:30 PM
rajasaranam vera song mobile ketten, romba nalla irunthathunnu solrar. So lets hope for the best.

thumburu
5th July 2008, 04:22 PM
In recent years, Raja's "kuthus" are a big bore and a sure turn-off, what with likes of Malathis and Pushpavanams only adding to the woes. Vidhyasagar is the best when it comes to "kuthus" with a melody touch

MrJudge
5th July 2008, 09:53 PM
'Nandhalala' starts filming
IndiaGlitz [Saturday, July 05, 2008]

It is well known that Mysskin is mighty passionate about 'Nandhalala'. The director who delivered two big hits in 'Chithiram Pesudhade' and 'Anjathey' is also acting in his third project apart from directing it. The story is about a six year old kid and a thirty year old 'kid-like' person who go in search of their respective mothers.

The journey they take would also be a journey into the very essence of human nature in all it's splendor.

Four days of filming is over in a rather quiet manner keeping the intensity of the story in mind. Starting off with the portions that involve the boy and Mysskin, the movie will plod on in a smooth manner.

Mysskin belongs to the school of thought that believes in recording the sound portion along with the shooting part. No wonder that this project is rolling on in that fashion. Moreover, online editing is also going on. Shots from multiple cameras cut appropriately on location to get the right effect. Dummy soundtracks have also been posted to gauge the effect and the director is reportedly happy with what he is churning out.

A film on children highlighting the finer points of humanity will surely be a welcome relief for Tamil audiences.

Dragun
23rd July 2008, 05:04 AM
I just watched Mysskin's previous film Anjaathey. While not 100% successful it is a unique and interesting film. I have not seen Chithiram Pesudhadi but going by Anjaathey and the storyline for Nandhalala the latter should be something fresh.

MrJudge
7th August 2008, 12:01 PM
"இசை இளையராஜால்ல?"

"ஆமா. நிறைய பேர்,'நான் சினிமாவுக்கு வர்றதுக்கு இளையராஜாவும் காரணம்'னு சொல்வாங்க. நான் இளையராஜா மட்டும்தான் காரணம்னு சொல்வேன். அம்மா, அப்பா இடத்தில் தான் அவரை வெச்சிருக்கேன். இசையால் எவ்வளவு அன்பை, மனிதத்தை, இந்த மண்ணுக்குத் தந்திருக்கார். 'என்னயா, உன் படப் பாட்டெல்லாம் பெரிய ஹிட்டாமே.... அதே மாதிரி போட்டுத் தரவா?'ன்னு கேட்டார். 'வேணாம் சார். அதெல்லாம் மிஷ்கின் படம். இது இளையராஜா படம்'னு சொன்னேன். இந்த கதைப் பயணம் முழுக்க உஙளோட முதல் ஆளா வரப்போறது ராஜா சார் தான்!"

- மிஷிகினின் பதில் இந்த வார ஆனந்த விகடன் பேட்டியிலிருந்து

Sanjeevi
7th August 2008, 12:14 PM
'என்னயா, உன் படப் பாட்டெல்லாம் பெரிய ஹிட்டாமே.... அதே மாதிரி போட்டுத் தரவா?'

:lol: :)

rangan_08
7th August 2008, 12:20 PM
"இசை இளையராஜால்ல?"

"ஆமா. நிறைய பேர்,'நான் சினிமாவுக்கு வர்றதுக்கு இளையராஜாவும் காரணம்'னு சொல்வாங்க. நான் இளையராஜா மட்டும்தான் காரணம்னு சொல்வேன். அம்மா, அப்பா இடத்தில் தான் அவரை வெச்சிருக்கேன். இசையால் எவ்வளவு அன்பை, மனிதத்தை, இந்த மண்ணுக்குத் தந்திருக்கார். 'என்னயா, உன் படப் பாட்டெல்லாம் பெரிய ஹிட்டாமே.... அதே மாதிரி போட்டுத் தரவா?'ன்னு கேட்டார். 'வேணாம் சார். அதெல்லாம் மிஷ்கின் படம். இது இளையராஜா படம்'னு சொன்னேன். இந்த கதைப் பயணம் முழுக்க உஙளோட முதல் ஆளா வரப்போறது ராஜா சார் தான்!"

Keakkave super-a irukku. Ippave kaadhu, manasu ellathayum ready panni vechikavendum... :)

Fans - get ready for a FEAST.

raja_fan
7th August 2008, 05:42 PM
'என்னயா, உன் படப் பாட்டெல்லாம் பெரிய ஹிட்டாமே.... அதே மாதிரி போட்டுத் தரவா?'ன்னு கேட்டார்.

hmmm..Raja saadharana aal illai. HR-ai vaitthu Background check kooda panni vaichirukkaar :lol:

So he is ready to change like Sundar.CB ? Ivarai purijukkave mudiyalai. Eppo egoistic-aa pesuvaar..Eppo kuzhandhai maadhiri maaruvaar-nu :)

jaiganes
7th August 2008, 07:33 PM
'என்னயா, உன் படப் பாட்டெல்லாம் பெரிய ஹிட்டாமே.... அதே மாதிரி போட்டுத் தரவா?'ன்னு கேட்டார்.

hmmm..Raja saadharana aal illai. HR-ai vaitthu Background check kooda panni vaichirukkaar :lol:

So he is ready to change like Sundar.CB ? Ivarai purijukkave mudiyalai. Eppo egoistic-aa pesuvaar..Eppo kuzhandhai maadhiri maaruvaar-nu :)

R_F
Avar Appadiththaan.

rajasaranam
7th August 2008, 11:54 PM
"இசை இளையராஜால்ல?"

:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :ty: for posting this 'Ondrukondru thunai ulla intha ulagathilae Anbu mattum anaathaiyaa' - the song is ringing in my head again :)

entertainment
8th August 2008, 01:01 AM
"இசை இளையராஜால்ல?"

Whoopee :bluejump: . I am happy that IR is happy and in a good mood :)

MrJudge
8th August 2008, 12:26 PM
Ivarai purijukkave mudiyalai. Eppo egoistic-aa pesuvaar..Eppo kuzhandhai maadhiri maaruvaar-nu :)

Yes, he is eccentric, Geminis appadi thAnO ennavO! (Gemini-his zodiac sign, though I don't believe in signs, he does act sometime like a Gemini)

MrJudge
8th August 2008, 12:27 PM
'Ondrukondru thunai ulla intha ulagathilae Anbu mattum anaathaiyaa' - the song is ringing in my head again :)

Did your friend record that song on his mobile?

rajasaranam
9th August 2008, 03:39 AM
'Ondrukondru thunai ulla intha ulagathilae Anbu mattum anaathaiyaa' - the song is ringing in my head again :)

Did your friend record that song on his mobile?

No I heard it only once and the song is etched in my mind forever :)

MrJudge
9th August 2008, 01:03 PM
No I heard it only once and the song is etched in my mind forever :)

:cry:

Look forward to the official release.....

MrJudge
9th September 2008, 09:27 PM
Nandhalala' going strong
IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, September 09, 2008]

As reported earlier, director Mysskin's 'Nandhalala' is made with a lot of aesthetic grace and the film is about human relationships pertaining to maternal love. The film stars Mysskin along with a seven year old boy (Ashwath Raman) and both of them go in search of their respective mothers. The story is all about the journey and the people they meet on the way.

Shooting for the film is currently going on in Chennai and reports indicate that the climax scenes are being shot. However, all the song sequences are yet to be filmed. Songs are not going to be featured in the traditional format but as montage sequences.

According to Mysskin, Illayaraja's songs are tremendously intense capturing the mood of the film in a big way and that the songs would be a big boost for the film as a whole.

Scenes involving the mother characters to be shot in Gobichettipalayam.

Will a movie like 'Nandhalala' that delves into human relationships be embraced by Tamil audiences? Only time will tell.

Tamilan
5th December 2008, 02:28 PM
This week Ananda vikatan has lots of good info abt IR

IR's new film with myskin is named Nandhalala and ir has already done 2 songs..one of which he has written and composed

Drums Mani :) is composing an album by name Mahaleela and he says he has roped in Zakir hussain, A R Rahman, a pattinathar padal and also hopes to get ir in that album

Kamesh

Mahaleela relased and I think Raaja didn't contribute

MrJudge
6th January 2009, 07:00 PM
Audio launch postponed to 23rd Jan :(

http://www.ayngaran.com/audiodetails.php?audid=22

viraajan
7th January 2009, 01:49 PM
[tscii:d991cb2a22]:clap: Mysskin :clap:

Mysskin to give credit to “Kikujiro”
IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, January 07, 2009]

Director Mysskin's 'Nandhalala' is almost wound up for an early release. The director, who has churned out films like “Chithiram Pesuthadi” and “Anjathey”, is keen to make a mark with 'Nandhalala' in which he plays the lead role besides directing it.

The movie is seemingly inspired by Japanese flick “Kikujiro”, directed by Taikeshi Kitano. It is about the journey of a young child. Released in 1999, the movie swept many awards. 'Kathale Kannalae' Snightha is also in the cast.

Interestingly, Mysskin was tight-lipped when the project initially began. However after pointed out buy certain section of media that the movie is actually a take-off of “Kikujiro”, Mysskin has eventually decided to give due credit to the original version in the title card itself.

Meanwhile, sources close to the director say he is planning his next inspired by August “Rush” (2007), a drama film directed by Kirsten Sheridan and written by Paul Castro.[/tscii:d991cb2a22]

MrJudge
9th January 2009, 10:38 AM
விரைவில் இசை (http://www.dailythanthi.com/thanthiepaper/912009/MDSG254568.jpg) :redjump:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOI&BaseHref=TOICH/2009/01/09&PageLabel=27&EntityId=Ar02601&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

MrJudge
9th January 2009, 10:42 AM
[tscii:db1de533d2]How was it working with Ilaiyaraaja?
Working with Ilaiyaraaja is a totally different experience. When I worked for my first two
films, I was very interactive with my music director. But with him, as he knows everything, there was not much for me to explain. So I gave suggestions only in areas where I felt I wanted something different.
The film’s background score is already creating a buzz. Comment.
Once Ilaiyaraaja saw the film, he
suggested the idea of using musicians from abroad for the score. So we flew in symphony musicians from the Budapest orchestra and we’ve introduced rarely-used instruments like Oboe for the score. The last 50 minutes of the film will have no dialogue and it is only the score that’ll carry the film forward.
Do you think such an experiment will go down well with the audiences?
I hope so. But, what I can tell you is once you get immersed into the score, it’ll be as addictive as opium. We do have a plan of releasing the OST (original soundtrack) as an album but we’ll wait till the film’s release to decide. [/tscii:db1de533d2]

:bluejump:
I hope atleast Mysskin keeps his promise, lets see.

raagas
9th January 2009, 12:17 PM
[tscii:e59326efc2]We do have a plan of releasing the OST (original soundtrack) as an album but we’ll wait till the film’s release to decide. [/tscii:e59326efc2]

:bluejump:
I hope atleast Mysskin keeps his promise, lets see.

He will wait till film's release. We dont know how the film would be accepted, despite what its quality might be. Some of the best films too are rejected by audiences. Suppose if this film bombs, his plans to release OST will be scrapped.

It happened once, in the case of Hey! Ram.

MrJudge
9th January 2009, 12:24 PM
He will wait till film's release. We dont know how the film would be accepted, despite what its quality might be. Some of the best films too are rejected by audiences. Suppose if this film bombs, his plans to release OST will be scrapped.

Yeah, but I think we will get the score this time. :D
Mysskin's skills are proven already at the BO and I guess this time also he would've made it like-able for the audience.

irir123
9th January 2009, 03:19 PM

in the case of Hey Ram, cryptic Kamal for reasons that only he knows, did not release the soundtracks (naamellaam yenna thappu senjom ? (:huh: )- perhaps if the film had been a major success, he might have released the same! this says something - oru velai, padam sariyaaga pogavillai, aanaal, isai thoguppu mattum paaraattum, pugazhum petru vittaal, avai irandumey isai amaippaalarukku sonthamaagividumey, engira bayathhalo yennavo! :huh:

MrJudge
13th January 2009, 09:18 AM
[tscii:a9ea9fb2c8]News Date: 12th Jan, 09

Mysskin’s Nandalala is about to showcase a fresh story that had never been filmed in Tamil cinema. Specialty of Nandalala is that it will not be the regular run-of-the-mill tale. It has not even filmed on basis of bankable instinct. All that Nandalala depends upon is the music of Ilayaraja. Director Mysskin is very keen about the music in all his movies especially background score. Illayaraja has composed the audio track as well as the background music of Nandalala. Imagine Illayaraja’s music combined with Yesudas vocal is sure going to be the best melody score after a very long time. There is also a gypsy song performed by the native itself.
Get ready to be hypnotized by Nandalala music on Pongal. [/tscii:a9ea9fb2c8]

raja_fan
13th January 2009, 01:49 PM
Only RS has listened to this KJY song of Nandalala till date..
paattu mattum nallaa illaama pochchu..RS, ungalukku irukku.. :)

MrJudge
13th January 2009, 02:55 PM
Only RS has listened to this KJY song of Nandalala till date..
paattu mattum nallaa illaama pochchu..RS, ungalukku irukku.. :)

:lol: ippadi avara bayamuruthareengaLE?

MrJudge
13th January 2009, 03:15 PM
[tscii:3cc288d279]Nandalala Audio track from tomorrow

News Date: 13th Jan, 09

Mysskin is ready to release his third movie Nandalala. Music album of the movie is composed by maestro Ilayaraja, and has six tracks to the credit. Gipsy song sung by an old gipsy lady will be the highlight of the movie. Director Mysskin and Master Ashwath Ram plays the lead role whilst Snighdha Akolkar donning the prominent female role in the movie. The director is certain that Nandalala will be critically acclaimed by all age group audiences including the film critics.
Nandalala music CD’s and cassettes released by Ayngaran International. Be the first one to bag the music score by Ilayaraja

:bluejump: [/tscii:3cc288d279]

crajkumar_be
13th January 2009, 04:31 PM
in the case of Hey Ram, cryptic Kamal for reasons that only he knows, did not release the soundtracks (naamellaam yenna thappu senjom ? (:huh: )- perhaps if the film had been a major success, he might have released the same! this says something - oru velai, padam sariyaaga pogavillai, aanaal, isai thoguppu mattum paaraattum, pugazhum petru vittaal, avai irandumey isai amaippaalarukku sonthamaagividumey, engira bayathhalo yennavo! :huh:
iriri,
:banghead: Clear case of sour grapes, vayitherichal, gaandu etc eh :huh:

FYI, you are casting such doubts on a man who, in an interview just before the release of Virumaandi said "The movie might have failed, i might have failed but there is a third bull which never fails. That is Ilaiyaraaja" (not verbatim)

MumbaiRamki
13th January 2009, 04:40 PM
BGM's rights solely rests with Raaja unlike the songs - I dont think Raaja was ever interested to release any of his BGMs for unknown reasons !

irir123
13th January 2009, 09:06 PM
iriri,

please give me one good reason for Kamal not releasing Hey RAM BGM tracks ? then we will decide whose sour grapes it is - if IR has the copyrights for the BGM and not releasing it, then I accept your line of argument - but if Kamal has the rights and not released it, then pls do give an acceptable reason

crajkumar_be
13th January 2009, 09:17 PM
iriri,

please give me one good reason for Kamal not releasing Hey RAM BGM tracks ? then we will decide whose sour grapes it is - if IR has the copyrights for the BGM and not releasing it, then I accept your line of argument - but if Kamal has the rights and not released it, then pls do give an acceptable reason
Adengappa, enna oru reasoning :notworthy:
Reminds me of Virumaandi dialogue indha panchayathu "seri, ellaam theriyumla......" :lol:

What do you know about why he has not released it? Do you realize there can be things which, like, duh, we might not know? Has it ever occurred to you that there might be things known to him and Raaja and not you, me and sundry? Why should i, or anyone for that matter (let alone Kamal) give you a reason?
adhavadhu, neenga vitta, "Sundar C Babu attempted to murder Mysskin, thats why they are not working together. What other reason can there be? Give one good acceptable reason" nu kettaalum keppeenga. :notworthy:

Guilty unless proven innocent, huh...

Oh, and you aren't sure who has the rights and yet you make these statements? :huh:

How many BGMs of Raaja have bene released till now?

SVN
13th January 2009, 11:54 PM
One possible reason IR may not be keen (for argument's sake) to release his BGM scores as OST could be that any third rate MD, including the ones composing for TV serials and those guys who package trailers for films across India would copy-paste those scores left-right and centre and call it their BGM! (I remember some Hindi serials in the afternoon slots in the early 90's liberally stealing from HTNI and Nothing But Wind albums. I must admit that even those 'sodappal' serials also suddenly started to 'look' professional when IR's score was used.

ananth222
14th January 2009, 06:52 AM
please give me one good reason for Kamal not releasing Hey RAM BGM tracks ?
Theres a Kamal interview on youtube which is pretty good (not really related to IR though). I'm posting the links below, the whole interview is worth watching.

At the end of part 3 (watch from 8:00min and into part 4) Kamal talks about "Hey Ram" as his best work in recent times, but says that it didn't really reach the people. We can see that he is hurt that it didn't get the acclaim it deserved, and may find it difficult to think objectively, in terms of releasing OST alone. Kamal also talks about Hey Ram replying to a phone question (in Part 2, watch from 3:30), very interesting.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKWhkMqF_Q&feature=related
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojSL3G8raW4&feature=related
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fub3Txf_aKM&feature=related
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1Zbe8Gfz0&feature=related
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLSpdTffMA&feature=related
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOihZ_dyNRQ&feature=channel

Maybe he should consider releasing a special edition DVD, which could include a "making of" and release the OST along with that. Audiences may be more mature than 10 years ago, and appreciate it.

crajkumar_be
14th January 2009, 07:27 AM
Ananth,
What is new here? Didn't we know that Kamal was disappointed with the commerical failure of Hey Ram? Haven't we seen this\interview before? neenga enna pudhusa solreenga? How does it any way lend credence to the theory that he didnt want Ilaiyaraaja alone to 'benefit' by relkeasing the BGM? ennavo Ilaiyaraaja-voda matra ellam BGM-um release aana madhiriyum, Kamal mattum dhaan release pannaadha madhiriyum pesareenga?
Why these repeated digs at Kamal?

Theres a Kamal interview on youtube which is pretty good (not really related to IR though). I'm posting the links below, the whole interview is worth watching.

At the end of part 3 (watch from 8:00min and into part 4) Kamal talks about "Hey Ram" as his best work in recent times, but says that it didn't really reach the people. We can see that he is hurt that it didn't get the acclaim it deserved, and may find it difficult to think objectively, in terms of releasing OST alone. Kamal also talks about Hey Ram replying to a phone question (in Part 2, watch from 3:30), very interesting.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKWhkMqF_Q&feature=related
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojSL3G8raW4&feature=related
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fub3Txf_aKM&feature=related
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1Zbe8Gfz0&feature=related
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLSpdTffMA&feature=related
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOihZ_dyNRQ&feature=channel

Maybe he should consider releasing a special edition DVD, which could include a "making of" and release the OST along with that. Audiences may be more mature than 10 years ago, and appreciate it.

irir123
14th January 2009, 07:43 AM
crajkumar_be - if am not mistaken, Kamal did have plans to release the BGM of Hey Ram - i do remember him saying something to this effect when the BGM was being done at Budapest - even Chandrahasan said something to tat effect bfore the release of the movie - in fact, back in 2000, the prospects of HEY RAM bgm being rleased as a soundtrack was a much anticipated discussion in the hub!

maybe oldtime hubbers like Shankar (Cisco) can clarify

MrJudge
14th January 2009, 11:54 AM
Got hold of the CD.. It has six tracks:

1. mella oorndhu oorndhu - Ilaiyaraaja - Na.Muthukumar
2. oNNukkoNNu - KJ Yesudas - Mu.Mehta
3. thAlAttu kEtka nAnum - Ilaiyaraaja - Muthulingam
4. kai veesi - Vijay Yesudas, Suwetha, Mathu Balakrishnan, Rahul, Chandrasekar - Pazhani Bharathy
5. oru vAndu koottamE - Ilaiyaraaja, Master Yaththeeswaran - Kabilan
6. eililEa eililEa (Gypsy song) - performed by Saroja ammAL

Songs 4 & 5 are excluded from the movie.

kameshratnam
14th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Onnukonnu

K J Yesudas and Ilayaraaja....where was ur magic all these days..ur beautiful combination...A beautiful number...with a superb mix of melody and light beats...super sir....i am not able to go to ahead with the 3rd song of the album...mudila....

Raaja.....Enga Ilayaraaja...the raaja of music....

njv
14th January 2009, 01:02 PM
Review please.

also where in Chennai we can get this? I just received NK (courier late or shipper late!!!), wondering if there is any shop who can ship immediately?

Vivasaayi
14th January 2009, 01:15 PM

are u a relative to subramaniya saami in any way?...ipdi oru reasoningaaaa?

viraajan
14th January 2009, 01:21 PM
njv, its available in music world. spencers/velechaery/t nagar :)

am gonna grab my copy now :boo:

review pls ....

judge, ur two cents pls....

MumbaiRamki
14th January 2009, 03:19 PM
anybody heard nandalala?

MrJudge
14th January 2009, 03:48 PM
I have listened to it just once...All are melodies, I liked 'kai veesi', 'thAlAttu kEtka nAnum' (esp. the interludes) in the first hearing itself, rest need multiple hearings. I think many IR fans will like this album (definitely a better product in recent times) but popcorn crowd as usual will not like it.

MrJudge
14th January 2009, 03:52 PM
Somehow I feel 'kai veesi' has KR touch to it.

crvenky
14th January 2009, 04:03 PM
This looks like another unique album where each song is written by a different lyricist.

viraajan
14th January 2009, 04:08 PM
1. Mella oorndhu oorndhu - Ilaiyaraaja - Na.Muthukumar - Breezy melody with beautiful lyrics.

2. Onnukkonu - KJ Yesudas - Mu.Mehta - KJY's recent best. Soul stirring melody again with excellent lyrics.. :bow: to lyricist.

3. thAlAttu kEtka nAnum - Ilaiyaraaja - Muthulingam - Another slow song. Mesmerizing orchestration!

4. kai veesi - Vijay Yesudas, Suwetha, Mathu Balakrishnan, Rahul, Chandrasekar - Pazhani Bharathy - Can't comment on this now. :oops: Need time!

5. oru vAndu koottamE - Ilaiyaraaja, Master Yaththeeswaran - Kabilan - Needs repeated listen. I'm not ok with Raaja's voice in this songs :? :roll: :oops:

6. eililEa eililEa (Gypsy song) - Saroja Ammal - First time in Tamil Cinema, we get to hear NariKuruvar song. Hats off!!!

viraajan
14th January 2009, 04:14 PM
1 and 2 are my pick!!!

:bow:

http://visionofvinith.blogspot.com/2009/01/nandhalala-music-review.html

raja_fan
14th January 2009, 04:25 PM
How is that gypsy song ?

Can any one please upload at least the samples online ?

Happy to know that IR has done it :D

Plum
14th January 2009, 08:48 PM
andha yatheswaran karthik raja pullandan dhaane?

inetk
14th January 2009, 08:50 PM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/01/14/music-review-nandhalala-tamil-ilayaraja/

jaiganes
14th January 2009, 09:04 PM
Karthik!!
oru question - indha musicukku date eppadi fix panreenga? Kaetta odane idhu 12th century music appadinnu or carbon dating mechanism vechurukeengala? Really curious. Describe 'outdated' please!

inetk
14th January 2009, 09:49 PM
jaiganes: Exact date konjam kashtam dhaan...carbon dating try pannalaam. Mathabadi, ketta odane, 'aiyo, college'la irundhabodhu ketta maadhiri irukke'nnu' oru feeling vayithu kulla varum...adha vechu konjam fix pannalaam. Aanaa andha feeling vayithu kulla varadhunaala, kaalaila saapta sakkara pongal naala kooda irukkalaam, solla mudiyaadhu...

rprasad
14th January 2009, 09:52 PM
Karthik, Music does not have a expiry date. A particular sound does not become outdated merely because majority of the current MD's do not use it. It all depends on if it makes the song sound good or not. I think i already said this before. To use your terminalogy Your reviews are becoming outdated(or should i say painfully archaic). Every MD has his own stock sound for certain songs and situations. IR has it too and since he spans so many years and done so many songs , it will sound the same as before whether in 80's or 90's. What we should be looking at is does it bring down the song quality or not. As long as the song sounds good and the orchestration is good it should work. Again IR may not feel the need to do experimentation in song sounds especially given the serious themes of both NK and Nandhalala. So what if IR used the same sounds from the last decade? everything is interesting when its heard for the first time. But IR has done so much that its hard to find something which is totally new and interesting. That does not mean its not good anymore. Your review gives the listeners a pretty incorrect impression. I know its just your opinion(but you do want people to read them right?) but as i said before you need to get a fresh perspective on how to review IR's albums otherwise your reviews might get outdated.

raja_fan
14th January 2009, 09:56 PM
Adhellaam vidungappa..inetk has his own style..why to discuss that now..

ippo Nandhalala songs eppadi irukku..adha pesunga..

yaraavadhu upload panna mudiyumaa ?
inge bangalore-la CD kidaippadhu kashtam :(

Sureshs65
14th January 2009, 10:10 PM
raja_fan,

I am hoping the guys will get it tomorrow or on Friday in Bangalore. Lets see.

S.Suresh

MrJudge
14th January 2009, 10:15 PM
His poor recording quality still continues in this album. I don't understand what keeps him in Prasad studios till date. A better recording of this album will enhance the listening experience more. Somehow NK was better in terms of recording, I am so disappointed.

K
14th January 2009, 10:50 PM
http://sensongs.com/

njv
14th January 2009, 11:41 PM
Note: This is my view. I am not here for arguments. Taste differ. If my taste is bad, so be it.

Nandalala - This may be like his late 80s or early 90s song, typical amma songs. Nothing significantly special, including Onnukkonnu song.

Elilea - May be this is the only difference in this album. Horrible. No one with right/peaceful mind can hear this. Hope this is not IR composed. Qualified to top the chart (per latest standars!)

Interlude/Prelude etc in all songs are very ordinary and used in most of his earlier movies.

No wonder why Miskin decided to use only 2 songs :) Politely saying, "thanks now you do the BGM".

NK was definitely miles apart. Will go back to NK for now.

irir123
15th January 2009, 12:23 AM
Just listened to the songs - on first hearing, they give me the feeling that they have been composed for a Malayalam movie, especially "Mella oorndhu" has a mallu touch, in the sense, its melodic content, tempo and feel are things that IR usually reserves for his mallu compositions rather than recent tamil compositions!! definitely, they are far better than most songs that come out of TFM these days - dont know why, 'kai veesi' sounds KRish as well as ARRish - only the flute in the first interlude reminds one of IR!

the album gives me hope for the kind of visuals tat Myskin must have described to IR at the time of composing! am sure that the film will not disappoint and looking fwd to the BGM!

the pace n tempo of all the songs give me a gut-feeling of what to expect from the film as well - am expecting a 'moondram pirai' style slow-paced output rich with visuals

ananth222
15th January 2009, 12:26 AM
http://sensongs.com/
Thanks!
First impressions: Very pleasant sounding album. But the whole production sounds like one of those independent CDs released by amateur light music bands. You'd expect something grander from a composer of the stature of IR. It was there in NK, but sadly missing in Nandhalala. And "elilae" is better forgotten. On the whole, very good songs, but could have perhaps been grander. (I hope those "Hungarian musicians" are put to better use for the bgm...)

aside: I had "Oh Butterfly" playing on my playlist after these songs... miles ahead!!

irir123
15th January 2009, 12:31 AM
IR please go back to live orchestra - and leave the synthesizers/loops for lesser composers! or atleast try to strike a fine balance between the two as you did in "oru naal maalaiyil" (Shiva 2006)

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 12:41 AM
His poor recording quality still continues in this album. I don't understand what keeps him in Prasad studios till date. A better recording of this album will enhance the listening experience more. Somehow NK was better in terms of recording, I am so disappointed.

Nandalala - This may be like his late 80s or early 90s song, typical amma songs. Nothing significantly special, including Onnukkonnu song.

On the whole, very good songs, but could have perhaps been grander. (I hope those "Hungarian musicians" are put to better use for the bgm...)

aside: I had "Oh Butterfly" playing on my playlist after these songs... miles ahead!!

IR please go back to live orchestra - and leave the synthesizers/loops for lesser composers! or atleast try to strike a fine balance between the two as you did in "oru naal maalaiyil" (Shiva 2006)

I pity for Ilaiyaraaja

how can he satisfy his HC fans? :oops: :cry:

kanna_82
15th January 2009, 12:52 AM
Mr. Sanjeevi...
exactly my thoughts...but not pity Raaja...more pity us fans...:-)
i will take NK as work and music for my brain...and Nandhalala close to my heart
Thalaattu keatka naanum...wow...so long time since I heard a song like this...!!!
Onnukkonnu...amazing work...brilliant lyrics...!!!
Definetly some songs for any heart who want something peaceful...!!!
I am feeling like listning to a IR+BM combo...simple and nice...!!!

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 12:52 AM
BTW nandalala album is what I expected from this music man. I mean less orchestration, slow songs, light weight songs

I am so happy and satisfied

Thanks Raaaja :D

:thumbsup: to the soundtrack

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 12:55 AM
Mr. Sanjeevi...
exactly my thoughts...but not pity Raaja...more pity us fans...:-)
i will take NK as work and music for my brain...and Nandhalala close to my heart
Thalaattu keatka naanum...wow...so long time since I heard a song like this...!!!
Onnukkonnu...amazing work...brilliant lyrics...!!!
Definetly some songs for any heart who want something peaceful...!!!
I am feeling like listning to a IR+BM combo...simple and nice...!!!

Wov, good comment man :D

kanna_82
15th January 2009, 01:04 AM
[tscii:2afca93434]hahaha...so quick reply...
Sorry haven´t been active in here as all of u:-)...but i have been in here for so many years...!!!
For me IR is what Michael Jackson is for the music world...maybe beyond that!!!
Just bcos Justin Timberlake is getting more popularity or getting more recognizment than Michael Jackson at the moment, is not = that he is better than MJ
Let enjoy IR´s music...for this Nandhalala is for musiclovers heart...!!![/tscii:2afca93434]

MrJudge
15th January 2009, 01:12 AM
Sanjeevi,

Yes, songs are simple, but after NK I was expecting more. I think IR has problems in the rhythm section right now, NK appeals so much to IR fans because of tabla. Whenever he wants to use other percussion instruments he goes for some cheap synth sounds which are annoying many IR fans like us. Unless he changes his studio and sound engineering crew nothing is going to happen. I can't digest a guy who was a pioneer in recording in the 80s doesn't even care about it for so many years. It is not rocket science, it is very easy to achieve. What is stopping him????

dochu
15th January 2009, 01:16 AM
Elilae could have been left as a BGM song or something. It shoulnd't be included in the album. Quite horrible - past 20 seconds, I couldn't take it and deleted the file.

MrJudge
15th January 2009, 01:16 AM
Guys,

The gypsy song was not composed by Raja, that's by Saroja Ammal.

popeye11
15th January 2009, 01:22 AM
Thaalattu. wonderful to hear a IR solo of this caliber after so long
Kai Veesi absolutely gorgeous.. but then the song ends abruptly.. dont u guys think?
Mella, Onnukonnu and Vaandu kootam fall under the'OK' category IMO

kiru
15th January 2009, 02:20 AM
Guys..I dont see anything jarring with rhythm or synths ..yes, they are all synth, but more like sampled sounds..sounds pretty close to real instruments and btw most songs use traditional drums. The songs are gentle, pleasant..probably not intricate melodies..but simple and supposed appeal to the emotion than the intellect..

ananth222
15th January 2009, 02:22 AM
I pity for Ilaiyaraaja

how can he satisfy his HC fans? :oops: :cry:
I love Nandhalala songs, they are great melodies. Its just that it looks like an amateur production. The recording quality and instrument quality is lacking. If this album was titled "Music for your heart", released by some Nungambakkam amateur band called "New Horizons", produced in a local recording studio and sold independently, I would have quickly become a keen fan of "New Horizons". But this has the name "Ilaiyaraaja" on it - he should really start taking these things seriously. If you look at IR songs in early-mid 90s, there were many such "light music"' sounding songs, they will sound much better because of live orcherstra (mainly percussions). (For example, take "Kannaale kaadhal kavithai" from Aathma - imagine how it would sound if recorded the way IR is doing now. )

kiru
15th January 2009, 03:44 AM
Where/what are you guys listening to ? I am eating pongal/vada on my extended lunch and listening to these songs in Windows Media Player through my Logitech USB headset streaming from sensongs.com and it sounds pretty good.. (I dont think this is related to what I am eating :-) )

rprasad
15th January 2009, 03:48 AM
Just listened to the songs. wonderful melodies. Completely agree with Kiru, the songs are simple and appeal to emotions. People seem to forget that the story deals with Mother and son and has a strong emotional undercurrent to it. IR delibrately has used what we call minimalist music and focused on creating a gentle emotional appeal to the songs. Ananth was asking why it could not be grander but that would be totally against the basic theme of the movie. Here the aim was not to create any specific mood as compared to NK where there was a need to create a specific mood to go with the theme of the movie and hence a more grander/high energy orchestration for couple of songs. Even then the Kei Veesi song is very catchy and breezy but still the rhythm does not get overdone and there is still that lightness to the song which is maintained throughout the album. Lovely stuff.
Also on the recording quality i only listened online and did not find anything that was very obvious or jarring and prevented me from enjoying the songs. I am sure the CD quality will not be worse than this. I think people should come out of the obsession with sounds and enjjoy the songs. I guess when one is used to hearing ARR and YSR /HJ recorded songs one tends to focus on sounds more and less on actual song quality itself. Ofcourse i would agree if the sound quality is bringing down the listening experience which is not the case here atleast in my opinion. And i am surprised that people expect something without bothering about the theme of the movie.
on the whole brilliant songs which should fit the movie theme perfectly. Excellent start to 09 for IR with two high quality albums.

ananth222
15th January 2009, 04:30 AM
ok, lets be more particular.

"Onnukkonnu" is the pick of the album IMO - great intro, great ambience, great singing by KJY. The problem? Percussion loop - with the great intro, the percussion could have had subtle changes to keep it interesting. The worst is when it simply extends into the first interlude - this is where IR used to rock before, changing the rhythm/percussion during the interlude and setting up the charanam. Instead, the same loop is extended, and changes abruptly for charanam - its neither here nor there. Second interlude is lot better.

"Mella oorndhu" also has a great intro, first interlude also ok. in charanam, "mudhal murai pogum..." part has an annoying 80s computer video game music kind of thing going in the background. IR used to fill in with great classical guitar arpeggios in places like that. second interlude also has that cheap casio keyboard quality.

"Thaalaattu ketka" also has a promising intro, first interlude is also great. but the percussion is so weak throughout the song.

"kai veesi" - is the kind of song where the bass alone could have carried it, but the bass sounds so electronic and low. This song is more energetic than the others, so atleast this could have used some more powerful instruments.

"Oru vaandu koottame" - imagine if the first interlude used instruments like old IR (no need to change a single note)! gives that "cheap imitation of IR" effect...

Again, its a great album, no doubt. It already sounds better once I got used to the sounds. If NK was not released, I'd be raving about Nandhalala. But after NK, it gives that apprehensive feeling that IR is going back to his synth unnecessarily. If you take a song like "Mandira punnagaiyo" - simple song (to appeal to the heart and not the mind, as someone nicely put) - nothing grand, but real flute, real violins, real bass, real percussions make it sound so good. First interlude is to die for!

Anyway, enough nitpicking. I'm going to shut up and enjoy the two great albums in 2009 from IR.

Hulkster
15th January 2009, 05:14 AM
I think rprasad and kiru have said it all. The orchestration of this album really pushes the film and also gives us a listening extravaganza. The Technical aspects of the songs are also amazing. Especially the guitar in the melle oorndhu and the weird celtic like instrument in the second interlude of oru vaandu koottame. Kai veesi's prelude is out of the world.

With the exception of elilea which is not composed by raja all of them are excellent. I wonder what songs you guys are listening to as i dunt find a problem with the recording quality or the orchestration. For people who expect the orchestration to be as grand like rakkama kaiya thatthu or the strings in butterfly are out of your mind.

Just like how Naan kadavul songs are composed according to the film's demands so is nandhalala. Isn't the movie supposed to be a journey to find his mother together with a stranger? The songs seem to convey that exactly and also give us ecstasy.

irir123
15th January 2009, 05:30 AM
Hulkster - u r bang on! the music for NK and NL are customised to suit the different themes of the respective films

once again I reiterate, IR has given NL the attention he usually gives to his Malayalam projects in recent times! there is no compromise in melody! and soothing!

krish244
15th January 2009, 08:04 AM
My thoughts:

1) Mella oorndhu: Nice guitar/piano like prelude and nice tune (especially the pallavi). Nice rendition by IR, but I would certainly prefer a different voice.

2) Onnukonnu: Again nice prelude with nice/pleasant flute passages through out the song. Nice tune, but I would have preferred more natural instruments..

3) Elileo: For record sake, first gypsy song in a music album, otherwise I dont find anything interesting in this song. Will fit the BGM though.

4) Thalaattu: 80's styled tune with light and nice violin/flute bits. No doubt he has sung with right emotions, but again I prefer a different singer.

5) Kai Veesi: Some different orchestration and liked the charanam portion. Pallavi tune starts like a Yuvan tune!

6) Oru Vaandu: I think I hear Bhava's voice too. It should have been promoted as a song sung by "three generations" :). Anyways, decent tune, but I did not like the orchestration much.

Mostly all are situational songs. My picks are 1 and 2.

Eager to listen to the BGM.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 08:48 AM
A very good album !

But IR is unlucky as always.
Whenever he comes with brilliant album in Tamil, the director will be ready with scissors to cut off the song from the film and make the extraordinary work go unnoticed..
Myskkin this time is the villain.. :(

Who can forgive Fazil for cutting off "Mella thira.." from ONOK ........Good example of how IR's brilliance went unnoticed..

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 08:56 AM
"kai veesi..."

Vow ! Where were you Raja till now ??
Hope Myskkin did not abort this song from the film..

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 09:37 AM
Elilea gypsy song - :) :)

yaaruppaa..adhu..indha song "kathaazha.." songai beat pannum-nu hype uttadhu ?! valila thudikkira maadhiri irukku paattu :D

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 09:43 AM
Rantings of a modern day fan.

Hey guys,

You guys heard songs of this movie called 'Nandala'? I just heard the songs. What a waste of ime. Illayaraja has scored the music for this. Don't you guys find this man very old fashioned? I mean, he actually tunes keeping the story of the movie in mind it seems!!! What nonsense !! Who cares for the movie? Who wants to see a movie? We want to just listen to an album and here is one person trying to integrate the songs into the story of the movie. How dare he? Doesn't he know that the current trend is not to bother about the movie at all and give us some 'cool', 'trendy' and 'hip' sounds so that we can compare these sounds with what was done earlier by 'Red Llyod' or 'Jack Michelson' or 'Caterpillers'. Why does he do this to his fans? Why can't he give some sounds wherein his fans can claim that this an amazing amalgamation of 'bip-bop', 'street-hop', 'kangaroo ho' and 'Sumerian music' while still sounding very Indian? So what if the sounds are sampled? You mean you don't want to get inspired? There is nothing wrong in getting inspired. Where are the funky rhythms? You don't know where you can buy them? What? You know where to buy but you still don't use it? I can't believe this. Why is there no 'trance inducing', 'dance inducing', 'physic experience inducing' number in this album. No scope for it in the movie?!!! Are you guys mad? What has the movie's scope got to do with music? All you fans can come up is that the music 'touches your heart'. That's it ??!! Don't you know that you need to use cool sounds so that everyone concerned hears the one sound they love. The ringing of cash registers.

And all you have to offer is 'music that touches the heart' !! What an old fashioned idea. Can't believe such people exist in this era. Thanks God that we have so many other great music directors now who do not believe in such trash and give us some many lovely item numbers.

------------------------ End rant --------------------

S.Suresh

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 09:46 AM
What nonsense !! Who cares for the movie? Who wants to see a movie? We want to just listen to an album and here is one person trying to integrate the songs into the story of the movie

:LOL

This guy is certainly not an IR fan or one who has any idea what IR is about . Should be a just born :)

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 10:53 AM
Just not to confuse people, the title should have been 'Imaginary Rantings of a modern day fan' :)

S.Suresh

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 11:51 AM
I agree with all of you guys

his 90s songs are way ahead of Nandalala songs in terms of recording quality of downloaded version (yet to buy the CD).

The only song which is annoying is 'Oru Vandu Koottaame' though it has nice chorus. I think he tried to go back to Anjali days but he could not :sad:

suresh
15th January 2009, 11:51 AM
**warning - long post****

Have there been better emotional songs than "Onnukkonnu" or "Oru Kaatril (NK)" in the recent TFM past?

A fundamental problem in these iPod times is that the ear is tuned to observe and indeed revel in the minutest rhythm arrangements, so much so that the 'song as a whole' is stripped down to its 'funky sounds' basics. I won't deride such a listening preference as it is in keeping with the evolution of taste, and perhaps even aural aesthetics to be specific. If you listen to say a "Pani vizhum malarvanam" today, you may perhaps doff your hat at a composer who made giga leaps in time in song after song, week after week in the days when he was churning out 2 movie soundtracks on any given Friday.

Today's Raaja has now transcended to a plane that looks at a movie in totality, forget individual song placements, with an almost patronising disregard for production values and the commercial importance of 'the album'. Imagine a landmark album like "Hey Raam" not being released. If you recall "Guna" or "Mahanadhi", you will understand kindred souls that Kamal and IR were, they had gone past the need of an album to pull people into the cinema they were creating with a honest sense of purpose. It is a defining tragedy of our times that none of these films worked in our commercial ambit. Now, after so many years, when a Poo or a Subramaniapuram raise flickers of hope, Kamal has turned his gaze towards the lure of the Oscar or his one-upmanship with the Shankars and Maniratnams.

Watching Myskkin's interview yesterday provided glimpses of how IR's working is way different from any Indian composer who values every album, remember not the film, as his calling card to the next grade of commercial success. For someone who watches the movie and then decides to get 4 players from the Budapest orchestra to work on the RR, would it have been that difficult to incorporate 'fancy, new, exciting' sounds drawn from Celtic or Samba influences into the songs themselves? Myskkin says that the Oboe travels through the film as a companion to the 2 lead characters. When he remarks that IR's comment after seeing the film was "nagareegamana padam", you are able to relate the songs to that comment. Simple, almost barely adorned tunes that are focussed on emotional content. This is decent music aligned to the needs of the film, that bows to the director's craft. If you want to see the real Raaja unleashed, listen to the film's BGM in a silent theatre. You may then understand that IR now sees himself as an integral part of the crew just as the cameraman, editor and the director, and this is the arena where his competitive juices flow and whatever he does, underplay or overpower, you can sense his absolute involvement in the films he likes in the way his music moves and enriches the movie.

On a different note, anyone who has read Jeyamohan's dark and melancholic "Ezham Ulagam" which is supposedly the base for Naan Kadavul, may perhaps be able to appreciate the music better. I bet it will be a very difficult watching experience for many, for the realities it showcases can shock, depress and even repel.

I would request some of the friends here to listen to an album like NK or Nandalala in a different context. Certainly, coming after a Vaaranam Aayiram or a Yuvraaj in your iPod playlist, does a great disservice to Raaja's music in these films. And I also wonder if listening to an original CD may temper your criticism of the technical/production values, as opposed to low-quality rips from web pirates?

As someone dyed in the nostalgic hues of Raaja's 70-80s music, I too yearn for those melodic times, but have learnt to listen to IR's music of today in its current context, understanding the demands of the film and also the creativity still residual in a man who has perhaps produced the most hours of original music than any living artist, and often times for undeserving films and situations banal and insensitive enough to break down any creative soul.

So I thank Raaja for these small mercies as in NK and Nandalala, and more importantly, Bala and Myskkin for drawing out that something extra from him.

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 11:52 AM
Just not to confuse people, the title should have been 'Imaginary Rantings of a modern day fan' :)

S.Suresh

this time I am clear :)

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Suresh,

An excellent post. You have articulated your views very well. I fully agree with your views. Not only in TFM, even in Hindi Film Music I haven't heard such emotional songs in the recent past.

My problem is the reverse. When I hear Naan Kadavul or Nanadala songs, I can't think of hearing Vaaranam Ayiram or Yuvvraj songs !!

I saw the interview as well and yes, I too felt that the music of Nandalala was in keeping with what Illayaraja felt about the movie.

S.Suresh

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 12:16 PM
A very good album !

Whenever he comes with brilliant album in Tamil, the director will be ready with scissors to cut off the song from the film and make the extraordinary work go unnoticed..

Who can forgive Fazil for cutting off "Mella thira.." from ONOK ........Good example of how IR's brilliance went unnoticed..

It should be 'Konjam Thira' :D which is one of my most fav. song

viraajan
15th January 2009, 12:21 PM
:clap: Suresh*2 :clap:

vigneshram
15th January 2009, 12:22 PM
"Mella oorndhu oorndhu" takes me the charanam part of 'Time's "Niram pirithu paarthen". ( "oviyathil endha kodu engu sendru mudiyum, munnaale munaale yaar kooruvaar")

IMHO, the album would have been much better, if Mysskin had extracted songs from Raja rather than sitting in front of him with hands folded and leaving the genius to give tunes. This is what Cheran does. On the other hand, Bala is adamant and extracts the best from Raja and he is the only one who has got the guts to reject Raja's tune and ask for an alternative.

viraajan
15th January 2009, 12:22 PM
A very good album !

It should be 'Konjam Thira' :D which is one of my most fav. song

More than the other songs, I love Katril Varum - :bow: IR :clap:
Of course, khajira ho kanavile - :thumbsup:

K
15th January 2009, 12:31 PM
After Listening 3 Songs(1.Mella oorndhu 2. Onnukkonu -3. Thalaattu kEtka nAnum ) once from nandhalala I felt it is like "Parangimalai(Nandhalala)" comparing with"Imayamalai(Naan Kadavul)".
but this is a Malai too. Opinion may change after listening more no of times

Sanjeevi
15th January 2009, 12:34 PM
<dig>
viraajan, i love 'Konjam thira' morethan other songs in ONOK including the famous 'katril varum keethamae'
</dig>

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 12:44 PM
"Mella oorndhu oorndhu" takes me the charanam part of 'Time's "Niram pirithu paarthen". ( "oviyathil endha kodu engu sendru mudiyum, munnaale munaale yaar kooruvaar")

Yes. It is the case for me too.

Sanjeevi, it was a typo.it is "konjam thira"

viraajan
15th January 2009, 12:53 PM
Between NK and NL, NK scores high. Thats close to my heart too.
NK songs are like "pain that causes pleasure". (I don't know if i'm writing it right. Pls correct if am wrong :) )
Manadhukku Idhamaana soga geethangal...

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 01:47 PM
Ok. it seems IR has brought NK Vs Nandhalala debate among his fans. Proves that he is king :)

viraajan
15th January 2009, 01:56 PM
Brilliant lyrics in that Nari Kuravar song... Aana onnume puriyala... :lol:

netfriend4u2005
15th January 2009, 01:56 PM
The other director who could extract good music and reject his tune was Mahendran.
Infact Ilaiyaraja himself has told in one of his interviews that directors should confidently come forward and say that they need better song tune than this one for the situation and well before actual recording of the songs and not later.

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 02:00 PM
viraajan,

The songs are in keeping with the director's vision. Bala's movies have generally been 'in-your-face' and hard hitting. So the lyrics and the music have similar approach. In case of Nandalala, the director is trying to make an extremely sensitive and subtle film (gathered from his interview). My guess is he will underplay the emotions. Raja's music is in keeping with that requirement.

As far as I am concerned, I am enjoying both in equal measure.

S.Suresh

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 02:22 PM
I will tell something..
My fellow IR fans should not pounce on me..ok..?

In "Onnukkonnu.." song, I could remember ARR style in few places, like the way flute accompanies KJY in charanam and the way charanam ends etc..Did anyone notice this ? :)

viraajan
15th January 2009, 02:24 PM
Suresh,

Me too enjoying NL songs. But I liked NK songs 1% more than NL :D

The themes of these two movies are completely different. NL songs are to do more with human emotions... Like, yearning for mother's affection... But NK songs are slightly different from this... It is more of spiritual, search of god, self realisation etc etc....

But as the movies release, I'm sure NL bgm will have more value than NK's...

Just cant wait for the release...

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 02:27 PM
Adhu sari..Yateeswaranukku thaathaa mela enna kobamo..see how he ends "KOOTTAME.." :D

viraajan
15th January 2009, 02:30 PM
I will tell something..

In "Onnukkonnu.." song, I could remember ARR style in few places, like the way flute accompanies KJY in charanam and the way charanam ends etc..Did anyone notice this ? :)

I'm gonna pounce on you... :lol: J/k...

Seriously, I don't feel so ... :)

I remember Kanne Kalaimaane type of composition in this song... Pure IR :D
(anyways, I'll listen to it very carefully to check it)

njv
15th January 2009, 02:32 PM

S.Suresh

May be its not about mordern fans, its about fans compromising. To decide if this is a good album by yourself, count all his 800+ albus in order and fit Nandala in and you decide yourself. Here I am not comparing IR with any one.

In my book of diary, Nandalala comes in 700+ range.
NK comes in 100-200 range.

In your book of diary, if this comes in 100+ range, so be it.

Follow this approach rather than comparing your taste with a fellow "mordern fan" taste or current MDs.

viraajan
15th January 2009, 02:33 PM
Adhu sari..Yateeswaranukku thaathaa mela enna kobamo..see how he ends "KOOTTAME.." :D

Namma IR-e andha paatula konjam different-a paada try panni irukkar. Listen to these lines in 2nd charanam. "Kanna engalaiyum ungal kootil sethukollu...." :sigh2: :yessir:

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 02:36 PM
I remember Kanne Kalaimaane type of composition in this song... Pure IR
(anyways, I'll listen to it very carefully to check it)

Just listen around the charanam ending, before and at the place where he sings "bhoomiyil anaadhai yaar.."
I get that old Uzhavan ARR feel..

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Enna..RS kaanom ?! Enge sir neenga ? come on..come to the first bench :)

kiru
15th January 2009, 03:03 PM
After Listening 3 Songs(1.Mella oorndhu 2. Onnukkonu -3. Thalaattu kEtka nAnum ) once from nandhalala I felt it is like "Parangimalai(Nandhalala)" comparing with"Imayamalai(Naan Kadavul)".
but this is a Malai too. Opinion may change after listening more no of times

K, please listen to Mella oorndhu again and see the variation everyt time the second line is repeated in the pallavi. Also, try to sing the song yourself..you'll find it sounds easy ..but very difficult to sing because the whole song is set to a low key but still has the nuances..
Onnukonnu..is a classic melody ..and see why it needs a KJY in the later part of the charanam..
thalaattu ..is again a classic ..and even IR hints with a thenpandi seemaiyile kind of flute phrase in the beginning..watch for IR's voice modulation in various parts ..(eg. thavichu etc)
IR's singing in this album is a lesson in bhaavam for new singers ..
kai veesi smacks of KR's handiwork but he has acquitted himself well..only that his style of following the vocals exactly with a violin or some instruments drives me nuts..

Re: synth. I checked the sounds with another ARR mp3 munbe vaa.. seems to be in the same ball park in terms of sound quality..Maybe in the final mix ARR has 'secret sauce' filter to smooth things out..But I have a suspicion these guys are all using similar equipment by now...atleast the main synth.

kiru
15th January 2009, 03:07 PM
I will tell something..

Tell me what style is - nEthu oruthar oruthara parthOm song ?

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 03:35 PM
njv,

Once I asked a friend of mine, a big fan of Ledzepplin, (so am I), as to which album of Ledzep he loved the most. He said, "It is always the one I am listening to at the point in time when in the question is asked" :) Well, with Illayaraja the same thing happens to me. Whichever I am listening to currently seems to a major work of art and I don't worry about ranking it. My ears, heart and mind tell me that I am enjoying most of the songs of this album. So I just go ahead and enjoy them. When we some day list out Raja's best albums and Nandala figures only in the bottom that's fine. Today, this is giving me joy and that I cannot deny it.

S.Suresh

rajasaranam
15th January 2009, 03:48 PM
Enna..RS kaanom ?! Enge sir neenga ? come on..come to the first bench :)

Ivvalavu Naalum Naan Sollittu thaane Irunthaen 'Raaja still has the same fire its the fans who are not able comprehend'nnu.
Now I wish to be a silent observer :)
BTW will comment on the ALbum NL later, There are somethings Which i want to Decipher first... for example the songs 'Melle Oornthu' & 'Oru Vaandu kootame' has some sounds and orchestration describing nature and the astonishment of kids minds which looks at everything with awe. Iam yet to understand the nuances 'Periyavangal' aayitoom illa :P May be my son will understand these songs better for he was the one who made me understand the title song of unreleased movie 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'.

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 04:10 PM
RS,

unga manasa purijukkaama iththanai naal veenaa poittome...............( stretch it like Shivaji )

ok. The tempo of of "kai veesi.." makes me visualize a kid running with his outstretched hands ( like Shoaib Aktar after he takes a wicket, buterfly ? ). Power of music ! :D

Fliflo
15th January 2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/jan-09-03/nandhalala-15-01-09.html

njv
15th January 2009, 05:47 PM
njv,

Once I asked a friend of mine, a big fan of Ledzepplin, (so am I), as to which album of Ledzep he loved the most. He said, "It is always the one I am listening to at the point in time when in the question is asked" :) Well, with Illayaraja the same thing happens to me. Whichever I am listening to currently seems to a major work of art and I don't worry about ranking it. My ears, heart and mind tell me that I am enjoying most of the songs of this album. So I just go ahead and enjoy them. When we some day list out Raja's best albums and Nandala figures only in the bottom that's fine. Today, this is giving me joy and that I cannot deny it.

S.Suresh

I completely agree and even i am in the the boat with you. For e.g. even through NK is not the best that IR produced, I am still enjoying it, but its not the same for Nandalala.

Another thing, I have not learned Carnatic/Western music, so I definitely can not appreciate the technical aspects of it, so ifs technically richer, I pity myself that I dont understand Nandalala. Even made attempt to learn but I guess I am not gifted.

MrJudge
15th January 2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/jan-09-03/nandhalala-15-01-09.html

Happy to hear that Raja was't mad for chopping 3 songs from the movie.

I don't care about him getting awards at the national level. I see Mysskin is the only director who can get some attention globally through Tamil movies. Though it is very early to predict it now, he has the potential to do it. I just wish him to come up with some original scripts. I hope his NandhalAlA will be one step forward in his career.

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 06:02 PM
Happy to hear that Raja was't mad for chopping 3 songs from the movie.

But as a fan, I am not able to digest this.

Who is going to notice these gems if they are not picturized ?

If you are not really planned, why do you waste melodies of IR like this ? :angry2:

At last, that worst gypsy number is going to be in the film and people are going to say "Why did Myskkin go away from Sundar CB ? "

I am not ready to accept that IR will be noticed for his re-recording. No ! How many people appreciated Hey Ram's BGM ? We are cheating ourselves by thinking so !

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 06:09 PM
njv,

I appreciate your view point on Nandala and as you say tastes do differ. I respect that.

I think you are as serious a listener as anyone else and being trained or not trained in music is not at all an issue. I also cannot learn music however hard I try. So whatever little I know of technical aspects is purely out of listening to music.

S.Suresh

Renault
15th January 2009, 07:45 PM
Nandala is a great album, in my opinion.

I would rank Kai Veesi nadanthidum kaatre song as IR's best in recent times in line with Kaiyetha (Vinodayatra).

For those who are comparing NL with NK.... NK is in a different league and NL is in a different league.

being an avid Raja songs listener and an avid avoider of all the new songs (Cacophonic reasons) except those that appeal to me like Vaaranam Aayiram...i guess am slightly qualified to pass a judgement that NL should rank as one of Raja's best in recent times and hope that songs like Kai veesi become a chartbuster... and would be surprised if doesn't considering the likes of Kangal Irandaal (another subtle melody) made it big.

vem
15th January 2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/44298.html

IR pained when Myskinn broke the news about using only 2 songs. IR bluntly asked him if the songs werent to the mark ?

vem
15th January 2009, 08:12 PM
I dont know why IR doesnt get refreshing duet situtions such as the ones in Nenjthai killathe :)

The first song in Nandalala is nothing but gibberish :)

Kai veesum sounds like a song in his Friends movie. KJY song is yet another pathos song (even though not as catchy as in Kannukkul Nilavu - Iravu Pagalai).....

I would say Myskin lacks music knowledge as I wonder how could he have accepted these songs. IR certainly sounds over the hill. Everytime IR releases a new album, I faithfully visit the site with so much of expectations and eagerness. Naan Kadavul was an OK album (as my taste is more of melodies). Nandalala has some peaceful songs although nothing exceptional.

raja_fan
15th January 2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/44298.html
IR pained when Myskinn broke the news about using only 2 songs. IR bluntly asked him if the songs werent to the mark ?

I wouldn't be surprised if IR asks Myskkin not to come to him anymore.

All the songs show that IR has put his heart over the project and worked. The greatest pain is your hard efforts going unnoticed.

Earlier it used to be very rare for a song to go unpicturized.

But nowadays, people working with IR seem to take him for granted.

Kamal did it in Virumandi. Result, the great potential hit "Kombula poova suthi" went unnoticed.

Fazil did it with his ANOK.

Balki did it in Cheenikum.

AR.Murugadoss did that in Ramana. The song "Vennilavin perai.." went unnoticed..

Bala did it in Pithamagan. Instead of that fantastic thiruvizha song, he included that crappy Simran comedy song !

For a song to be remembered, it should be able to be played in TV ! Why people dont understand this simple fact ?! :banghead:

Poor IR ! You rejected sincere directors like Mani when they approached you..now you suffer all this :( :(

ananth222
15th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Poor IR ! You rejected sincere directors like Mani when they approached you..now you suffer all this :( :(
IR really needs to hire a manager and PR adviser. Conspicuously missing from important music releases is like snubbing the director/producer (I don't follow anyone else in TFM, so I don't know if this is standard behavior - but it feels offensive). I'm sure IR doesn't intend anything bad, but maybe if he handled these things better he might get better projects.

MrJudge
15th January 2009, 11:23 PM
raja_fan:

Please don't ever say that Raja shouldn't work with Mysskin again. Even if he wants background scores alone for his movies from Raja, he should not hesitate to do them for him. Please wait for the movie release and after seeing the movie, I think we can come to a conclusion. What if the movie demands only two songs??

rprasad
15th January 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi Guys, Sorry to digress here. on the ARR thread for his new movie delhi-6, Karthik of INETK has given a first 300 word review and claiming it as one of the best ever soundtracks he has heard. I went ahead and listened and found absouletly nothing special. Believe me i have heard a lot of ARR songs including his hit ones and this one does not even come close. Same peppy rhythms and his usual high pitched crooning in between that seems to have become his signature nowdays. Iam just bringing this up to illustrate that when someone's stars are shining brightly like ARR everything they do is overhyped and projected as better than actually what it is. By the way i already responded similarly in that thread so for those who go there sorry for the duplication. Sorry again for digression but could not help when something is overhyped while on the other hand a brilliant album like Nandhalala is dismissed as being outdated.

crajkumar_be
15th January 2009, 11:54 PM
rprasad,
inga edhukkunga idhayellam ezhudhareenga?

Secondly, who dismissed Nandalala as being outdated?

K
16th January 2009, 12:15 AM
IR really needs to hire a manager and PR adviser. Conspicuously missing from important music releases is like snubbing the director/producer (I don't follow anyone else in TFM, so I don't know if this is standard behavior - but it feels offensive). I'm sure IR doesn't intend anything bad, but maybe if he handled these things better he might get better projects.

A Song Composed before some 20+ years says that "நேற்று இல்லே நாளை இல்லே எப்பவும் நான் ராஜா கோட்டை இல்லே கொடியும் இல்லே அப்பவும் நான் ராஜா" so he dose not need any one to prove any thing, he is what he is and who knows him will agree. Raaja "THAAN KADAVUL"(Isaiku).

ananth222
16th January 2009, 12:23 AM
A Song Composed before some 20+ years says that "நேற்று இல்லே நாளை இல்லே எப்பவும் நான் ராஜா கோட்டை இல்லே கொடியும் இல்லே அப்பவும் நான் ராஜா" so he dose not need any one to prove any thing, he is what he is and who knows him will agree. Raaja "THAAN KADAVUL"(Isaiku).
But how does that justify IR not appearing for his own music releases?

rprasad
16th January 2009, 12:24 AM
Well i did not want to write anything here but could not help it. Anyway my point was to highlight that hype can be used to create and condition listeners minds on certain albums.

I am mainly referring to Karthiks reviews. Now i know it is just his opinion and does not matter what he thinks. But the fact is he posts it in a public forum for everyone to read. And whether you agree or not it does shape a potential listeners mind when he listens to the album after reading the review. One cannot dismiss it as having no impact at all. It does. when he writes a 300 word review some people do think that this must be a special album and there must be something special in the songs and they do tend to listen to it more carefully and give multiple hearings as well. And we all know when a decent song is heard multiple times it becomes a great song in some peoples minds. Now the same Karthik said the sounds in Nandhalala are outdated and gave an average review. So this does impact potential listeners. now i am not saying he should stop reviews at all, but he should get a little perspective on kind of terminology to use in a review especially when the album is clearly a good one. I still cannot get over his statement on Malleppovu , Chirugali number when he said it was kiddish. That is the height of mispresentation of a brilliant composition.
Sorry again . Lets get back to enjoying Nandhalala songs.

raagas
16th January 2009, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys, Sorry to digress here. on the ARR thread for his new movie delhi-6, Karthik of INETK has given a first 300 word review and claiming it as one of the best ever soundtracks he has heard. I went ahead and listened and found absouletly nothing special. Believe me i have heard a lot of ARR songs including his hit ones and this one does not even come close. Same peppy rhythms and his usual high pitched crooning in between that seems to have become his signature nowdays. Iam just bringing this up to illustrate that when someone's stars are shining brightly like ARR everything they do is overhyped and projected as better than actually what it is. By the way i already responded similarly in that thread so for those who go there sorry for the duplication. Sorry again for digression but could not help when something is overhyped while on the other hand a brilliant album like Nandhalala is dismissed as being outdated.

Sir, firstly we dont need to discuss this here. and also, it is a blog by Karthik and he already has a disclaimer that the content on his blog is purely his opinion, based on what he likes and dislikes. I dont see anything wrong in it. And also, he himself liked so many IR scores (the 1st song of Nandhalaala) and dislike many ARR sccores too (Ghajini..he called certain songs pedestrian). So, all said and done, the blog is about his personal taste.

And also, it is just a myth that if a certain song is heard multiple times, it is rated high. Artificiality cannot last long. we might find something trendy now, but ultimately we will listen something 5 years from now, only if we really and wholeheartedly like it today. And it applies to any album or any composer.

And also, i dont know what is meant by hype for a certain album. An album is good and there are many fans out there praising it. Fair enough, their choice. I liked Naan Kadavul, Nandhalaala a lot and on the other hand Delhi 6 also a lot. All that matters is just our liking sir. Hype is all about media mileage and our likes and dislikes are not going to be affected by any hype or media mileage right. Enjoy whatever you like. and ignore the rest. lets not mix up things and waste time cribbing about what others are saying.

btw, I am very much impressed with 1st song of Nandhalaala. It has got unique sound, arrangements. Brilliant.

Sanjeevi
16th January 2009, 12:31 AM
THe comments 'kiddish', 'outdated' deserve 100 :lol:s on inet karthik. Because no good music has expiry date, they may just have relation to some particular period.

ananth222
16th January 2009, 12:38 AM
imo Nandhalala melodies are better.

but just look at the music quality in Delhi-6! The levels of the instruments and vocals are perfect in Delhi-6, enhancing the listening pleasure. It is just not perfect in NL. The bass levels are too low in "veesi", the percussion levels are too low in "Vaandu koottame"... its sad that such a great work may not appear as great because of poor sound engineering.

crajkumar_be
16th January 2009, 12:46 AM
OK, just read his review on Nandalala. While i agree with a few points of his, i have big problems in general with his reviews of late (to the point of reminding myself not to take them seriously any more). Well, i always have the option of NOT reading them. He just writes his opinion. Naamalum namma opinion-a idam porul eval seval paathu ezhudhalaam, yaaru thaduthaanga? . :)

Back to Nandalala

Kai Veesu, Onnukkonnu and Mella Oorndhu are very much likeable :musicsmile: Kai Veesu is the pick of the album for me!

Keyboard/Piano sounds in recent Raaja albums have tended to sound rather 'flat'. I'm talking only about the sound. Contrast this with Mumbai Xpress!

ananth222
16th January 2009, 01:03 AM
Keyboard/Piano sounds in recent Raaja albums have tended to sound rather 'flat'. I'm talking only about the sound. Contrast this with Mumbai Xpress!
exactly! A grand sound doesn't simply mean 200 violins or "rakkamma". A grand sound means acoustic sounding music that doesn't sound like a MIDI file.
Listen to "kandu kandu" from "Innathe chintha vishyam" (released 2008) - nothing "grand" - but the sounds are so much more pleasing than the ones used in NL. It also has some electronic sounds, but better chosen ones. Imagine NL melodies with that kind of sound.

irir123
16th January 2009, 05:59 AM
btw, 'kai veesi' has shades of 'pachai niramey'(alaipaayudhey) or am i getting confused ?

Sureshs65
16th January 2009, 08:12 AM
I understand what rprasad is saying. There is a subtle difference between an opinion and a review. Most of the people now see karthik's site more as a review site and not a blog site. And the hype does influence people, as rprasad says.

rprasad: What Sanjeevi says is the best. We can only :) when someone calls a lovely melody like Chirugaali as 'kiddish'. When I read his comment and then heard the Chirugaali song I thought the word 'kiddish' was more apt for his musical taste :) The Dilli 6 review proves it.

S.Suresh

MrJudge
16th January 2009, 08:35 AM
Yes, his recording has been the culprit for many of his albums going to the dust bin of the public without any notice. I think he should fire his sound engineers immediately or send them to get trained with latest technologies. How come pithAmagan and now NK were better recorded? pithAmagan, the album was mixed by Yuvan's people and NK was done by Raja's crew but still sounds better than NL. It is also possible that the songs may sound very good in his studio with the high-end speakers he has got. But does he ever try to see how the same songs sound in a walkman/small stereo systems? I seriously doubt it. I also think that he is in a comfort zone surrounded by a bunch of jalra people who don't even point out these things. It's frustrating to see an album like NL fails at this front and plays the spoil sport.

kameshratnam
16th January 2009, 08:49 AM

Thats the point i have been telling all this while. He does not care to see that his cds are available in the market and then he gives a statement in the website to us that we should not support piracy..EKSI..

I guess there is no one who has the guts to go up and tell him "Sir, We know u r a musical genius but....".. And yes...regarding the producers and directors should have really felt bad that he does not come to music release functions..the reasons he has been giving that his ego would be boosted etc etc wah re wah.. :D

ananth222
16th January 2009, 09:45 AM
And yes...regarding the producers and directors should have really felt bad that he does not come to music release functions..the reasons he has been giving that his ego would be boosted etc etc wah re wah.. :D yea, its true that they shower praises on him and IR doesn't like that... but really... its time everyone (including IR) showed some maturity. Incidentally, I was just listening to the song "raasa maharaasa" from "Maharaasan", towards the end the song goes "vilambaram venam'nu vaippaar ivar thalli... kozhi pudichanthundu, kaaka pudichathillai..." dunno if its hinted at IR. its time he learned to silently ignore the sycophants and show his own dignified presence to the public.

btw, "kei veesi" sounds more like the top gun movie theme to me.

baroque
16th January 2009, 10:38 AM
btw, 'kai veesi' has shades of 'pachai niramey'(alaipaayudhey) or am i getting confused ?

yeah,
remember ilangkaaththu veesudhey.... Pithamagan...
not exactly but close.. may be having some karaharapriya notes. Vinatha.

thumburu
16th January 2009, 11:19 AM
MrJudge, pardon the ignorance of a laywoman in acoustics like me, but can you tell me how the songs of late 70's like "sigappu rojakkaL" , "mudhal iravu" etc sound so good even today that we hardly notice any sound aspects for those songs?

MumbaiRamki
16th January 2009, 12:25 PM
thumburu ,
In case of synth sounds , it has to be perfect . It was Ok in 80s where the live instruments was used , but for synth - it has to be tuned very well , else yu will end up sounding like Marriage Party musicians !!

BTW , i personally don't think NL had bad audio quality , its just the choice of drum types which makes it sound a bit odd - the same goes for amma un pillai , but then it had a orchestral blast in one of the interludes !!

rajasaranam
16th January 2009, 12:37 PM
MrJudge, pardon the ignorance of a laywoman in acoustics like me, but can you tell me how the songs of late 70's like "sigappu rojakkaL" , "mudhal iravu" etc sound so good even today that we hardly notice any sound aspects for those songs?

Raaja's sound recording of albums were never consistent unlike ARR/YSR/HJ etc., whose every album sounds with superior audio quality. Yes SR,Priya Etc., were way ahead in times WRTT quality of audio recording, even in eighties he had an assortment of albums in which the audio spectrum would go to extremes from 'Agni natchathiram' with a top class sound recording to a 'Enga Ooru Paattukaaran' with a minimal class recording.

One pattern that could be understood from these recordings is that for an upbeat/hip/urbane - film/song context they were reflecting the feel of modernity in compositions aswel the recording was top class while for folkish/Carnatic etc., the audio quality of recording was not that great.

Off-late (Post ARR) people have started concentrating more and more on the sound and audiography of the albums rather than the musical/emotional content or the film's context. People are listening to songs now on 5.1 channels or Ipods - players which are able to channelize the sound/music of a song and people are getting used to it slowly.

As judge says, Yes IR can go for better sound engineers/audiographers but in that process I would not like him to lose the emotional connection he has towards his compositions...if then I'd prefer the current offerings over them :notworthy:

krish244
16th January 2009, 06:56 PM
Mysskin in full praise of IR. It seems the promo of the movie in newspapers say "A journey with Ilaiyaraaja". Is it so?

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/A_journey_with_Ilayaraja_21427.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
16th January 2009, 07:15 PM
I dont know..I find that the recording quality in NL is good.

regarding songs, this is what i feel:

1. Melle Oorndhu - Exceptionally brilliant composition.
2. Onnukonnu - A good song with earthy folk element.
3. Thalaattu Ketka - i found it boring (personal opinion again. lot of people are praising it because it is emotional and all, but i dont know Tamil and musically, i did not find it that appealing enough)
4. Oru Vaandu Koottame - Very interesting folk tune. I like this one because it is more of "Malgudi Days' brand of melody.Very good composition i must say.
5. Kei veesi - I understand that not much is being talked about this phenomenal composition. This is not a typical Raaja song.I took some time to understand the structure of this song.There is lot of unpredictability associated with this song and that caught my attention more. I love this song.Strange that people are not discussing this. Some parts sound damn anthemic.Guys, This song gave me something new within IR's music.
6. Gypsy Song - Sorry, didnt like it.

Overall, it is a wonderful album. I have absolutely no complaints. Absolutely None. IR shone brilliantly in this album.

Hulkster
16th January 2009, 07:20 PM
What has happened to guys here? Totally seems like IR just passed away or something. As much as Yuvan,Harris have amazing recording quality the reason why i listen to IR songs is because his music goes for your heart rather than just give your ears temporary listening pleasure.

As much as i like Yuvan's songs i feel that he does not have the immaculate composing ability of his father. His father could weave complicated compositions to make them endearing to the listener as well as integrate them together with the film's visuals. So far ARR has managed this but even he fails at times.

Its quite depressing to see IR fans talk about recording quality when they cannot even feel the soulfulness of the songs in nandhalala. Just take the vocals out of melle oorndhu oorndhu and you would really feel like you are going on a breezy journey. Same goes for the plain music of Thalattu Keikka Vandhen. It really is like a thalattu with a pathos feel.

I will say it again, when will the day come when the "IR" fans here appreciate IR rather than sound like superlative critics making him sound like a mediocre composer.

jaiganes
16th January 2009, 07:39 PM

madhyamavathiyaa irukkumo

krish244
16th January 2009, 07:41 PM
Raagas, I was about to talk about "Kai Veesi" song. The song overall is good, especially the way anupallavi and the charanam tune is structured. Nice. The flute bits and the synth sound accompanying most of the charanam tune are good. The only thing I did not like in the orchestration is the synth base beat. Its not that effective.

thanks,

Krishnan

jaiganes
16th January 2009, 07:57 PM
Kai veesi - The transporter is back in his best.
Engeyo koottiti poitaaru!!!!
andha flute - napoleanaa? raasa welcome back!!
and vocals - shwetha - vijay and madhu - arbuthama panniteenga.
Ilaiyarasa voda indha song indha varusham #1.
because the song has all the light elements and still it is very heavy. seekirama marakka mudiyaadhu. oru murai kaettaale poadhum repeated listenings thaanave varum.

raja_fan
16th January 2009, 08:01 PM
Just now watched Myskkin's interview in KTV.

About IR's music in Nandalala, this is what he said.

"This film contains very less dialogues. So my choice was Ilaiyaraja. After seeing the film, IR asked me what kind of BGM I expect. I said 'I want a music which even if some one in Africa watches this film, he should understand it". IR said ok and asked if he can bring 3 people from Budapest.

The BGM in this film will be liked by anyone in any part of the world. After he showed the film after mixing the music, the people from Budapest wondered if that was really the music they played. Nearly 40 minutes of the climax is without any dialogues..Only actors expressions and IR's BGM. People said 'this is risky'. But I said 'The audience know Ilaiyaraja. So no risk in it. Only an extra dose of IR's re-recording. Let it be a treat to the audience'.

They showed soundless video of IR working on the re-recording with people from Budapest.

Myskkin also appreciated Sundar CB work and BGM in Anjadhe.

Two days back he told that when Nandalala was dropped first time, he did not go back to IR at all and informed him that it has been dropped. He started Anjadhe and started working on it. IR has phoned him and asked "Ennaachu ? neenga varave illa ?" . Myskkin replied "Sir, I am not doing that film, I have started working on another". Then again when Myskkin went to IR, IR smiled when he told he has come for Nandalala.

This is the first time I am hearing IR phoning a director and asking the status of a project :)

raja_fan
16th January 2009, 08:04 PM
Typo. Read it as "he did not go back to IR and inform him that it has been dropped"

raja_fan
16th January 2009, 08:06 PM
Ilaiyarasa voda indha song indha varusham #1.
because the song has all the light elements and still it is very heavy. seekirama marakka mudiyaadhu. oru murai kaettaale poadhum repeated listenings thaanave varum.

Correct dhaan...but to think that such a gem has gone without picturization....it pains :(

A potential #1 of the year is going to go unnoticed..God ! :( :(

jaiganes
16th January 2009, 08:17 PM
oorndhu oorndhu - awesome montage melody.. will be used I hope by Mysskin in a Ilangaathu veesudhae fashion. The interludes are superb and very suggestive of something in screen. Lyrics are very imaginative and very aural. The guitar usage is simple and soothing. very mallu type melody

Onnukonnu - goose bumps straight when Jesu anna's voice starts floating in the air. indha paatai picturise pannalanna mysskin naan personala vandhu adippaen. Anbukku anbu - aaha enna vari. the way he switches from low pitch to high pitch without shouting - Jesu anna valara nannaayee. Raasa - jesu combination again unbeatable. the background rhythms, divine subtle interludes and superb lyrics -idhellaam Kikkujirola irukkaadhu lla?
Better than Elangaathu veesudhe...
Rajasaranam - you are lucky bugger. indha paattai eppadi idhayathulaye iththanai naal vechu irundheenga? that enveloping feel Raja and Jesudhas give is something I have not felt in a long long time...
Thaalaattu ketka naanum - naangalum thaan raaja ehthanai naal? in betweenla eththanai soadhanai - indha maadhiri song - onnu poadhum - eppadi ungalukku mattum kaadhulendhu manasukku connection irukkunnu theriyudhu? solid manasai secondsle melt panniteengale?

irir123
16th January 2009, 08:19 PM
doesnt IR lay down a pre-condition that if he puts efforts for a particular song, it should be filmed ?

popeye11
16th January 2009, 08:20 PM
What are the two songs that Myskin is talking abt thats gonna be in the movie. I know the KJY number is included.. what abt the other one.. any of u guys know?

Hope the gypsy song is considered BGM and not a song

irir123
16th January 2009, 08:24 PM
the more I listen to NL, the more am convinced of IR's conviction of the film's theme, script and visuals and hence has given music that he usually reserves for malayalam cinema!!

NL is one of the best IR albums in recent years!

OTOH, wudnt it have sounded better if IR has used someoneelse for 'Mella oorndhu' than his own voice ? especially, the charanam beginnings sound a bit offkey with his voice

I do hope sincerely that Mysskin releases the BGM as a separate album with top-notch recording qualities/engineering et al!

we need more such stuff to promote him

Fliflo
16th January 2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/January/160109a.asp

raja_fan
16th January 2009, 10:05 PM
Yes, Myskkin has confirmed that the KJY song is there in the film.

Other song may be "amma" by IR.

One more could be used as title number.

but I can never forgive Mysskin for wasting "kai veesi"

btw...eppoppaa release ??

Fliflo
16th January 2009, 10:17 PM
http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/A_journey_with_Ilayaraja_21427.html

Fliflo
16th January 2009, 10:19 PM
BTW, the above site says 3 songs against 2. So you may be correct Raja Fan

ananth222
16th January 2009, 10:53 PM
posting a message from Arun on the IR yahoogroups.

Hello Friends,

As you all know that Nandhalala is almost a remake
from the movie "Kikujiro" - A japanese movie. I was searching on the
internet and found a few links. That movie had great accolades from
all over the world for its background score. Here is a sample
composition from the original movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhtFOVSC0k&feature=related

Now, its Raaja's turn to give back to the world a
great treat that will stand beyond time.

Enjoy the Piano for now but wait for a bigger treat
from our Maestro !

Regards,
Arun.

K
16th January 2009, 11:58 PM
On repeated listening My views changed towards Nandhalala. I wrote Naan Kadavul as Imayamalai and Nandhalala as Parangi malai, but now it is changed Naan Kadavul is Imayamalai, Nandhalala is a beautiful River, Paarthu Bramikka illai, aaznthu magiznthu rasikka. Raja Raja than.

Sureshs65
17th January 2009, 01:02 AM
Still waiting for the CD to arrive in Bangalore. Hopefully I can get it tomorrow. In the meanwhile my views on the album.

Kai Veesi : Jaiganes used the right word, transporter. How does this man think of newer structures even after giving those thousands of songs. It is not newness for newness sake. There is this superb unity that he gets into his tunes. His knack of merging the instruments into the song is nonpareil.

Onunukonnu : What a start with that lovely flute. Mesmerising. Lovely and simple tune. Nice to hear Jesudas after a long time. (Maybe it is my imagination but I can hear a bit of strain in the great master's voice. Wonder how this tune would have sounded a few years back in Jesudas's voice.) No worry, it still is an excellent song rendition. Will be ranked alongside such classics as 'Kanne Kalai Maane' and 'Poove Sempoove'.

Mella Oorndhu: What a lilting composition. Reminds me of his composition like 'O Butterfly'. The same slow pace and lovely melody.

Oru Vaandu Kootame: Another lovely composition where the speed keeps varying. Sedate start and the charanams end in a very fast manner. A song for kids. I especially love the place 'narunkuzhal oodhidum nandalala'.

Thalatu Ketka Naanum: This is one song which some people may like and some may not. A typical Raja melody sung with a lot of feeling. I somehow felt he was a bit overemoting towards the end of second charanam ("Amma En Amma" bit). He characteristically reigns himself in his renditions and so it was surprising to hear him sing that way.

Gypsy song: I guess this should not be heard as another album song but as an authentic gypsy song. We should not be clubbing this with other songs. I was very interested to hear this song. It shows how music in one form of another permeates into every society.

K hit the nail on the head by comparing this album to a flow river. Yes, it does indeed give you a sense of calm. The time available remains the same but the playlist keeps increasing :( Manikanta Geeta Mala, Naan Kadavul and now Nandala. Thanks are due to the maestro.

S.Suresh

crajkumar_be
17th January 2009, 01:27 AM
Its quite depressing to see IR fans talk about recording quality when they cannot even feel the soulfulness of the songs in nandhalala.

Correction. You cannot accuse even one of us of not feeling the soulfulness of the songs. Raving about the songs and bitching about the mediocre choice of instruments/sounds are not mutually exclusive. It is because i love the music of the man and CARE for it that i'm cribbing about it, album after album, year after year. Rather, its depressing to see some people not acknowledging something as obvious as the mediocre and cheap sounds coming as a pattern in Raaja's albums in recent times. As for me, its not as much about the recording as its about the choice of usage.
Listen to Hey Ram's "Nee Paartha Paarvai" prelude piano, "Poo Poothadhu", "Kurangu Kayyil Malai" drumming and compare it with other stuff. You can't hear the difference? You gotta be kidding me.
Sorry, we don't want to hide our heads in the sand

I will say it again, when will the day come when the "IR" fans here appreciate IR rather than sound like superlative critics making him sound like a mediocre composer.
The best composer in the world has no business using such mediocre sounds. The cheap sounds make one cringe. Period

crajkumar_be
17th January 2009, 01:34 AM
When the songs themselves are so good, i'm sure that they movie watching experience is going to be enhanced when you actually watch the songs (how many ever have been used in the film) in the theater

irir123
17th January 2009, 02:39 AM
Its quite depressing to see IR fans talk about recording quality when they cannot even feel the soulfulness of the songs in nandhalala.

Correction. You cannot accuse even one of us of not feeling the soulfulness of the songs. Raving about the songs and bitching about the mediocre choice of instruments/sounds are not mutually exclusive. It is because i love the music of the man and CARE for it that i'm cribbing about it, album after album, year after year. Rather, its depressing to see some people not acknowledging something as obvious as the mediocre and cheap sounds coming as a pattern in Raaja's albums in recent times. As for me, its not as much about the recording as its about the choice of usage.
Listen to Hey Ram's "Nee Paartha Paarvai" prelude piano, "Poo Poothadhu", "Kurangu Kayyil Malai" drumming and compare it with other stuff. You can't hear the difference? You gotta be kidding me.
Sorry, we don't want to hide our heads in the sand

The best composer in the world has no business using such mediocre sounds. The cheap sounds make one cringe. Period

Interesting you mention "nee paartha paarvai" - thats a REAL PIANO, not an electronic one!

as for MX, i did read that Kamal insisted/used Sony Recording studios in New York (MX was done right after TiS) - perhaps that explains the sound quality in MX - MX will always be one of my favorites

crajkumar_be
17th January 2009, 03:08 AM
Interesting you mention "nee paartha paarvai" - thats a REAL PIANO, not an electronic one!

I too would like to think its the real piano but i'm not sure. In any case, it didn't matter whether t was the real piano or not, did it? That is precisely my point. It sounded like the real one

as for MX, i did read that Kamal insisted/used Sony Recording studios in New York (MX was done right after TiS) - perhaps that explains the sound quality in MX - MX will always be one of my favorites
I reiterate that its not a recording issue. I'm sure of that. Its about the choice of the instruments/sounds. In other words, tin dappa-va NY Sony studio-la thatnaalum adhe sound dhaan varappodhu :)

baroque
17th January 2009, 04:03 AM
Whatever... :) I like onnukkonnu..... will listen couple of times.

I am forever trapped in குத்தாலக் குயிலே குத்தாலக் குயிலே ... or இவள் ஒரு இளங்குருவி எழுந்து or வானம் தொடாத மேகம் or தாகமே உண்டானதே திண்டாடுதே மனமே....

Sweet melodies linger forever in my heart, romantic atmosphere of flute passages or ambient piano-guitar rhythm, soft percussion with laya brilliance, honey soaked vocal resonance sure addictive...COMPOSITIONS with AMAZING MOOD. I miss IR.
vinatha.

rprasad
17th January 2009, 04:18 AM
So you guys think IR who has so much knowledge on musical instruments including modern ones as well would be using cheap sounding instruments for no apparent reason? or you mean to imply he just does not know how those instruments would sound and hence uses them thinking it would sound great? or he does not have a keen sense for sounds and Rhythms after so many years in the field and listening to so much music?
or maybe he just does not have any money to get good instruments for his orchestra?
Which of the above you think is even remotely possible? maybe some of you have a good knowledge of music, sounds or recording, but I think i will still go with IR's judgement here. Anyone disagree?

THe only thing i can acknowledge is that in some cases maybe IR does not spend too much time during final recording and mixing of the songs and things can get done in a less than satisfactory way during that phase but IR may not bother himself to listen to the final output and correct them before the CD's are done. For some albums like MX or Hey Ram maybe he involves himself till the end for the songs as well and listens to finished output. Its just pure speculation on my part.
For the record i did not hear any cheap sounds in Nandhalala. The percussion sounds are deliberatly downplayed to create a subdued mood to the songs. IR has done it before as well maybe not the same but similar . I remember i bought a Telugu casette in 1989 which had Gharshana(agni nakshatram in tamil) and Abinandana on the other side. Talk about contrasting sounds i just could not believe IR composed both the albums they were so different sounding it just astounded me(ofcourse when i saw the movie i understood how perfectly it fit). I am not saying this is the same case but just trying to indicate that IR does things for a reason which many of us may not be able to figure.

crajkumar_be
17th January 2009, 04:44 AM
So you guys think IR who has so much knowledge on musical instruments including modern ones as well would be using cheap sounding instruments for no apparent reason? or you mean to imply he just does not know how those instruments would sound and hence uses them thinking it would sound great? or he does not have a keen sense for sounds and Rhythms after so many years in the field and listening to so much music?
or maybe he just does not have any money to get good instruments for his orchestra?
Which of the above you think is even remotely possible? maybe some of you have a good knowledge of music, sounds or recording, but I think i will still go with IR's judgement here. Anyone disagree?

THe only thing i can acknowledge is that in some cases maybe IR does not spend too much time during final recording and mixing of the songs and things can get done in a less than satisfactory way during that phase but IR may not bother himself to listen to the final output and correct them before the CD's are done. For some albums like MX or Hey Ram maybe he involves himself till the end for the songs as well and listens to finished output. Its just pure speculation on my part.
For the record i did not hear any cheap sounds in Nandhalala. The percussion sounds are deliberatly downplayed to create a subdued mood to the songs. IR has done it before as well maybe not the same but similar . I remember i bought a Telugu casette in 1989 which had Gharshana(agni nakshatram in tamil) and Abinandana on the other side. Talk about contrasting sounds i just could not believe IR composed both the albums they were so different sounding it just astounded me(ofcourse when i saw the movie i understood how perfectly it fit). I am not saying this is the same case but just trying to indicate that IR does things for a reason which many of us may not be able to figure.
I don't know to play any instrument. I don't know music 'theory', Indian or Western (except for identifying a very few raagas). So? What's the point? Are we trying to compare any of our musical skills, knowledge or what not with Ilaiyaraaja's? What a joke!

And we're not talking about the sound w.r.t just Nandalala here. There's a definite pattern here, which is the cause for the grouse

rprasad, what do you imply? Say everything is great? Ilaiyaraaja is a genius, a god (which he IS, don't get me wrong) and we shouldn't have *opinions or preferences* because we didn't learn music? Then what are we doing in these forums? Isaiyin meedhu atheedha aaruvamum, Raaja-vin isayin meedhu vaithirukkum nesamum mariyadhayum nammai ingu padhivugal seyya thoondugindrana. One who has passion and interest in listening to music will respond with certain reactions while listening to music. That is exactly what we're doing here. For you, everything is hunky-dory in Nandalala or any recent album of Raaja for that matter. For me, its not. Though i'm in love with Naan Kadavul and Nandalala songs certain patterns bother me.
Anybody who is not tone deaf will make out the quality of instruments/sound that we're talking about.

idhayellam vidunga, "Mella Oorndhu" la vara keys sound-kum "Nee Paartha Paarvai" sound kum ungalukku vidhyasam theriyudha illaya? If the answer is yes and you're still ok with it its fine. We can agree to disagree. Please don't keep asking what is wrong with the sounds or why we are complaining or justifying blindly. Thats all

And please don't tell me that the film's supposed austerity drives the choice and usage o instruments/sounds. Even as i understand why a film like MX has to different from Nandalala, i can't accept the necessity for such sounds no matter what kind of film it is

rprasad
17th January 2009, 05:12 AM
I am not trying to compare your musical skills to IR. I am merely asking the question, how can you make out that this sound is cheap and other sound is good? different yes i agree. I know the sounds are different from the two songs you indicated but the songs are totally different in mood, or melody or situation. I am not sure of the situation explained to IR for this song in Nandhalala(not sure we will know in the movie since it must have been removed) .I am not saying IR is perfect and does all things perfectly. Ofcourse there have been lot of missteps in his songs for one reason or the other and as fans/listeners we point our if it impacts our listening pleasure.
Of course i respect your opinion when you say you dont like the sounds in Nandhalala.All i am saying we dont know what IR used and why and so we should not jump to conclusions that he used cheap sounds when we cannot say for sure. Also i am not Hunky- dory on every IR album in recent time, i liked Mallepoovu in telugu and now Nandhalala. NK was ok for two songs. For me the sounds did not diminish the listening pleasure in Nandhalala. Given the quality of movies IR gets nowadays i agree that he may do things halfheartedly for some of them and may not bother much on the sounds. But i dont believe that to be in this case. As i also said recording and mixing can be an issue as well. Also the key sounds being different from one movie to another movie song does not mean one is bad automatically. They are different sounding for a reason maybe.

Anyway that is my opinion. It would be good if we can ask these questions directly to IR since you guys feel so passionately about the sound aspect. I am sure he will have an answer.

irir123
17th January 2009, 06:13 AM
rprasad - u have a valid point - what bemuses me is when IR was doing some 30-40 movies a year, his outputs like Agni Natchatiram, Poonthotta Kavalkaran etc had good recording, whereas now, when he is doing relatively fewer films, the sound quality has gone down as compared to even his earlier outputs! maybe he doesnt care much these days - but he has to - am sure that noone is better qualified than IR when it comes to estimating quality of 'sound', but times have changed and perhaps he simply doesnt bother to use latest sound engineering techniques - am not sure how updated the Prasad Studios recording equipment are, but my wild guess is that Panchathan or even Kothandapani recording equipments are state-of-the-art

jaiganes
17th January 2009, 06:56 AM
One thing is genuinely - the sunth beats he uses in Oorndhu and the glide and voice mastering for his own voice in the same song - sounds good to me. It kind of adds a 'waltzy' feel to the song. So there could be a genuine 'deliberate' though behind that 'sound' . So at the end of the day - you either like it or not. I dont buy the notion of doing extra smoothening or altering to sound like a 'ARR song' or 'Yuvan song'. I hope u guys get the drift. With Respect to Nandhalaala - it is the sound track of the past 5 years for me as far as the melody and the 'feel' aspect is concerned and that alone is worthy of writing hundreds of pages on it IMO.

Dragun
17th January 2009, 09:23 AM
Let's not make excuses for when IR uses cheap synth sounds. He simply hasn't mastered more modern use of technology in his music, which is understandable because he is of a different generation than his sons, ARR, etc. I don't know if he just doesn't listen to modern film music and doesn't know how dated those sounds are or what. IR's forte is real instruments, and when he sticks to that he still produces good to great songs.

As for recording quality not being important, would you serve a five-star meal on paper plates and say, "just concentrate on the food?"

irir123
17th January 2009, 09:29 AM
is "mella oorndhu" based on same raga as "niram pirithhu" from TIME ? and "oru vaandu kootamey" the same raga as "kaakkala kannamma" from Yathra Mozhi ?

the prelude flute of "onnukunu" is something I have never heard from IR before (the mallu effect is predominant here) and the beats/rhythm have a 'ghatam' like sound in it! its this IR we have been missing for a long time

irir123
17th January 2009, 09:36 AM
Let's not make excuses for when IR uses cheap synth sounds. He simply hasn't mastered more modern use of technology in his music, which is understandable because he is of a different generation than his sons, ARR, etc. I don't know if he just doesn't listen to modern film music and doesn't know how dated those sounds are or what. IR's forte is real instruments, and when he sticks to that he still produces good to great songs.

As for recording quality not being important, would you serve a five-star meal on paper plates and say, "just concentrate on the food?"

your posting is perhaps best left unanswered for its tone of condescension and below-the-belt intent is shamelessly apparent

so what are you ? a B.Tech in Modern Sound Technology from Indian Institute of Modern Sound Technology, eh ?!

thamizhvaanan
17th January 2009, 09:36 AM
As for recording quality not being important, would you serve a five-star meal on paper plates and say, "just concentrate on the food?":lol:

jaiganes
17th January 2009, 09:52 AM
As for recording quality not being important, would you serve a five-star meal on paper plates and say, "just concentrate on the food?":lol:
No your esteemed sirs!
We eat good food sitting in tea kadai bench. we are pretty much like that only.
you are the guys trying to fit in to a 5* restaurant thinking of 'how to sound 'in' '

crvenky
17th January 2009, 10:23 AM
I think the flute phrase in Kai veesi pallavi sounds like the end piece in the bit song Aasai raja aararo (Moodupani). Anybody can see the similarity? Also the flute type sounds Chinese.

thamizhvaanan
17th January 2009, 10:25 AM
No your esteemed sirs!
you are the guys trying to fit in to a 5* restaurant thinking of 'how to sound 'in' 'All your comprehension skills be damned when it comes to IR. Unga manasula irukradha pathi mattum thaan yosipeenga, aduthavanga enna solla varaanganradha purinjuka mateenga.

I thought Dragon's analogy was quite apt. Perhaps you will understand in Bharathi's words

"nalladhOr veenai seidhey, adhai nalan keda puzhudhiyil erivadhundO"

jaiganes
17th January 2009, 11:40 AM
No your esteemed sirs!
you are the guys trying to fit in to a 5* restaurant thinking of 'how to sound 'in' 'All your comprehension skills be damned when it comes to IR. Unga manasula irukradha pathi mattum thaan yosipeenga, aduthavanga enna solla varaanganradha purinjuka mateenga.

I thought Dragon's analogy was quite apt. Perhaps you will understand in Bharathi's words

"nalladhOr veenai seidhey, adhai nalan keda puzhudhiyil erivadhundO"

Our comprehension skills are very much intact.
If you go back this thread a few pages, you can get the drift of discussion clearly. All aspects of this 'soundu quality' have been covered.
1. Financial aspect: Raaja -despite being a genius and all that doesn't charge what other music directors charge. most of the other MDs charge mainly to buy latest computers latest programs, train people staff etc., this aspect also has been covered in this thread by Mr.Judge. Prasad studios has not updated its computers for sometime or trained its staff offlate is something that has been accepted - though not in enough words to make you jump with glee. Add to that there has been to and fro between IRIR and c_rajkumar as to the quality of sound - even the accoustic ones in Kamal movies - The reason being Kamal invested significant portion of money to recording the albums, BGM and took care to present it equally well.However the marketing strategy of Virumaandi and MEx were quite puzzling and that has been done to death
2. Aesthetic aspect: This is where we have been discussing where you guys came in and asked 'saappadu paper plate analogy'. The context has been totally missed. For a given financial params Raaja gives an output that is commensurate with the requirements of the project and within the financial boundary. Unlike elite composers of today charging more - the director of a low budget movie approaching raaja knows that Raaja will lift the movie with BGM (even if it is recorded in non Dolby or non DTS and with probably one flute and two violins) and if you care to see his discography the past 5 years - more songs of his went directly to mp3 discs than exclusive 90 Rs CDs recorded in 256 track DTS. For Nandhalaala BGM too he requested Mysskin's permission to get 3 musicians from Budapest unlike star music director studio where a singer turns up at 3AM sings one alaap for some movie she doesn't even know for 30 secs in a song. However if you care to rewind back to 1999 when a non descript producer by name kandasamy made a movie with some unknown Bala as director with songs that didn't sound million bucks in a discotheque, and songs that pretty much contained the same melodic electric guitar (some guy asked me why doesnt he let the guitar a riff and that cool sound!!) and synth beats that sounded the same (part of reason why some genius review blogger says it is outdated - but pleasant???) and yet what impact was delivered was on a cost effectiveness and ROI scale gargantuan!!! Music is different from sound - though music is made of distinct sounds!!! So there is no reason for anyone to teach Raaja of all people how to record a sound.

As a corollary - The inside of Sony studios our raaja also knows. Though he did not go there to record Nandhalaala or Naan KAdavul - the likes of it can be done pretty much within the walls of Prasad studios. He went there for something much grander and much more important - for Thiruvaasagam!!

The ears can become tainted and biased with 'sound' reviewers - but not your senses and heart. If you go by that token, you will never apply the analogy of 5* food in paper plate. Some of the best experiences in life are free - like the priceless words you are reading now!!! Raja served it up even for person with no peengaan plate to eat. Travel outside chennai in a bus and you will stop in wayside motels in Krishnagiri where the blaring latest iPOD hit will sound the same as 'mama mama konjam podi kodu'. Jeevan of the song is more important in a film song and that is what is intact in an album like nandhalaala.
And the teakadai bench guy in village has no iPODs or CD players. they dont buy CDs and complain that the synth sounds are outdated - That is because they have from days of GRamanadhan and MSV known to filter 'sound' 'gimmick' from 'Tune' and music.

one more thing - some one was involved in the experiment of ripping Thiruvasagam off all voices and just extract instrumental tracks for God knows whatever reasons. However if they do the reverse for Raja's songs they will appreciate the point. So as an exercise for them, let them rip off the 'Onnukkonnu thunayirukkum' song of all the priceless bits of instrumental music and just listen to the naked tune in yesappa's voice - the power of Raaja's music will be evident.

ananth222
17th January 2009, 11:52 AM
NL sounds better when played loud in my car.. still wish some percussion loops were done away with. Just a note to others (like me) who felt the recording quality was lacking - don't let that prevent you frmo enjoying the album, cos it is musically really good.

jaiganes
17th January 2009, 11:57 AM
NL sounds better when played loud in my car.. still wish some percussion loops were done away with. Just a note to others (like me) who felt the recording quality was lacking - don't let that prevent you frmo enjoying the album, cos it is musically really good.

appo paatu kekkanumna 'drive' poiduveenga pola!!

MADDY
17th January 2009, 12:17 PM

appo paatu kekkanumna 'drive' poiduveenga pola!!

IR used to be known as poor man's messiah - but now it seems, we need a car to enjoy his music......yea, inflation is at 5.24%, can manage :)

your posting is perhaps best left unanswered for its tone of condescension and below-the-belt intent is shamelessly apparent

so what are you ? a B.Tech in Modern Sound Technology from Indian Institute of Modern Sound Technology, eh ?!

Irir123 - if u have patience read all posts made by Dragun in IR section..........u judged him just by his avtar :)

ananth222
17th January 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm glad NL is atleast interesting enough for me to stick to the NL thread and not waste time posting irrelevent messages on the delhi-6 thread...

MADDY
17th January 2009, 12:44 PM
I'm glad NL is atleast interesting enough for me to stick to the NL thread and not waste time posting irrelevent messages on the delhi-6 thread...

idhu allavo latchiyam.......

Sanjeevi
17th January 2009, 02:48 PM
sombody please change the thread title to Nandalala only

crajkumar_be
17th January 2009, 03:28 PM
Let's not make excuses for when IR uses cheap synth sounds.
"idha thaan naanum sonnen. ennaya paithiyam-nuttainga!" (Guna) :)

Recording quality, financial constraints, the movie's subject have nothing to do with this.

Plum, music quality and sound quality are not dichotomous. And looking for sound quality is not a crime

People who hark back to the 80s and ask "appove athana arumayana sound kuduthavarukku theriyadha?"etc, please understand that at that time he used "real " instruments - acoustic guitar, electric guitar/bass guitar, acoustic drums, violins, keyboard, moog(?) synthesizer etc.. They sounded 'right'. They sound great even now. Bottom line is, even back then he used both live and synth music but it sounded right.

Financial constraints-kum idhukkum enna sammandham? "Mella Ooorndhu" la vara keys sound-kum financial constraints-kum endha bearing um illa. "Amma Un Pillai" ludes la varum percussion-a eppadi justify panna mudiyum? This has been the kind of choice and usage in most of his albums in recent times. And cribbing about it does NOT mean that we don't like the songs.

avvalavu dhaan :notworthy:

Plum
17th January 2009, 03:38 PM
Jaiganes, finely put. Romba kashtapadadheenga - ungalukku pidikkadha oru padathula idhai pathi oru paattu irukku...
"Kallai mattum kandaal..."
Andha maadhiri
Soundai mattum kettal, music puriyadhu:-)

Plum
17th January 2009, 03:44 PM
CR, neenga sonnadhu vera. Dragun sonnadhu vera. You are not implying that IR doesnt know how to use synth or how to output "maadern musickkku". Someone else is.
I think the financial aspect Jaiganes touched upon is very important. Andha money factor prachnai illadhappo, IR did Thiruvasagam. Avarukka sound pathi theriyadhu? Yaaanai padutha kudhirai mattam. Avlo dhaan solvaen.

Five star hotel-la, andha platekuum, servicekkum dhaan kaasu. Saappadu rusi ennamo sumaar dhaan. Adhai rasikkaravanga rasikkattum. Inge vandhu torture pannadheengapa.
Yeah, stupid analogy - but...same blood. purinjidha?

crajkumar_be
17th January 2009, 03:53 PM
and synth beats that sounded the same (part of reason why some genius review blogger says it is outdated - but pleasant???)
:lol: (but he was not referring to the beats being outdated. I think he mentioned the tune, orchestration and the songs in question were outdated. Total damage!)
The most offensive thing about his reviews is that he calls himself a Raaja fan! :)