PDA

View Full Version : Same Tune but different Songs!

smss_engineer
9th November 2006, 11:04 PM
Let us discuss IR's usage of same tunes for different languages including the dubbings!

The first came in my mind is "Thumbee vaa" from malayalam film Olangal(1980)
The other versions of this song are

1. "Sangathil paadatha kavithai" from Auto Raja(1982) sung by IR and S.Janaki.

2. "Neer veezchi" from kane kalaimane (1982) sung by S.Janaki.

3. "Sunday ko" from Aur ek prem kahani (1995) sung by Mano

narayanan
23rd November 2006, 09:17 PM
Prema Ledani from Abinandhana and Naalum En Manam from Nilavu Suduvadhillai

thamizhvaanan
23rd November 2006, 09:21 PM
sorry this isnt IR song :oops: but still ...

"Kadhal ennum" from Kadhalar dhinam
"roja roja" from the same film

Hulkster
24th November 2006, 08:00 AM
Thamizhvaanan probably because of the same style of singing and the way the tune is dragged but they are not the same.

Roja roja drags the first and drags even more the second time and goes softer while still dragging the third time.

Kadhal ennum thervu yeluthi has a break in midst after the kadhal ennum and continues throughtout the first stanza which makes it different from roja roja. It is the singing style that makes it sound too similar.

narayanan
24th November 2006, 09:25 AM
OT: I dont think Roja Roja and Kadhalenum are that similar :roll:
~~~~~~
One more to the same tune list: Oru Kili Urugudhu (in Tamil) and Jilibilipalukula (in Telugu).

Renault
24th November 2006, 09:28 AM
Let us discuss IR's usage of same tunes for different languages including the dubbings!

The first came in my mind is "Thumbee vaa" from malayalam film Olangal(1980)
The other versions of this song are

1. "Sangathil paadatha kavithai" from Auto Raja(1982) sung by IR and S.Janaki.

2. "Neer veezchi" from kane kalaimane (1982) sung by S.Janaki.

3. "Sunday ko" from Aur ek prem kahani (1995) sung by Mano

Not sure whether u can call it a copy.. but definitely the same tune..

Kadhal vandhathum from Poovellam Un vaasam.. the same tune as Thumbee vaa..

kameshratnam
24th November 2006, 02:11 PM
I have BGMs which have the same tune

1. Manitha Manitna Interlue and En ulle En Ulle Interlude.its the 2 nd one i think..similar

2. A song from Thambiku enda ooru and pongatru pudithanadu from Moonram Pirai - similar

alwarpet_andavan
24th November 2006, 04:39 PM
Thamizhvaanan probably because of the same style of singing and the way the tune is dragged but they are not the same.

Roja roja drags the first and drags even more the second time and goes softer while still dragging the third time.

Kadhal ennum thervu yeluthi has a break in midst after the kadhal ennum and continues throughtout the first stanza which makes it different from roja roja. It is the singing style that makes it sound too similar.
I agree.
Experts may clarify: Same sandhams but different Raagas(?)

alwarpet_andavan
24th November 2006, 04:41 PM
Not sure whether u can call it a copy.. but definitely the same tune..

Kadhal vandhathum from Poovellam Un vaasam.. the same tune as Thumbee vaa..

Copy vs Kaapi!

Renault
24th November 2006, 04:45 PM
Hey Alwarpet, welcome back.. u mean to say both are from Kaapi raagam.

alwarpet_andavan
24th November 2006, 04:57 PM
Hey Alwarpet, welcome back.. u mean to say both are from Kaapi raagam.
Thanks Renault...

Yeah...

Vkrish
27th November 2006, 06:37 PM
IR has a special skill of recycing his own tune and this will not be so easy to identify !!!

"Kuyillukkuppam Kuyillukuppam" song from film 'Puthu nellu puthu natthu' was excellently recycled as "Thuliyile Adavantha Vanathhu Minvillakke".

Similary "Vadi vetthalapakku vangi tharen" folk was reused as "Onathumbatthoru Unnal Adi vantha Paingiliye" and this song even fetched an award for KJJ !!!

A greatest hit of KS Chitra "Puzhayorathu oru Thodiyumpookam" from mallu film "Atharvanam" came as "Sariya Sariya Ennai Kathalitthuthu" but the tamil tune went unnotoced bcoz of silly lyrics.

I think, at times, lyrics too play a vital role in making a music a big hit. For instance "Gundu Malli Gundu Malli" had a great tune but failed to become a hit number, bcoz of very average lyrics. Just hum the tune with a lyric such as "Vaigai Karai Kattre Nillu..." or "Saathi malli Poocharame..." u can observe the diffence it make.

ananth222
27th November 2006, 10:55 PM
"suneyoh yashodha maiyya" (from live in italy album)
and
"ghana shyama" from Kochu kochu santhoshangal

both songs have great preludes (which are different) but the song has same tune. The prelude for the malayalam version is amazing, and hard to believe that such a prelude can be given for this tune. only our Maestro can do it!

listen online to the malayalam version here:
http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/M0000350.html

or download all songs from the movie from here (thanks to vigneshram for uploading):
http://rapidshare.com/files/4271878/05_Kochu_Kochu_Santhoshagal.rar.html

narayanan
4th December 2006, 10:02 AM
Samayal Padame from Manipoor Mamiyar (the audio released 1982/83, I heard the movie never released) and Enna Samayalo from Unnal Mudiyum Thambi.

This pair is'nt much different from one another, the lyrics is also pretty much the same. The former sounds more like a hostel setting ('hostel sotrai thindru thindru marathu ponadhe...ennadi ?...naaku..marathu ponadhe') and the latter complaining about sister-in-law's samayal ('anni samayal thindru thindru marathu ponadhe...ennadi ?...naaku..marathu ponadhe').

Both are equally good, the former would remind anyone of hostel samayal (if you undergone that torture), and the latter had a lovable picturization.

Any old-timers remember who directed the former movie.

ananth222
14th December 2006, 08:15 AM
"Thanninam thaanamnam thaalathil aadi" from the malayalam film "Yaathra" (1985) and "poottukkal pottaalum" from Chatriyan - pallavi is the same tune. but both have different orchestrations, and both are great songs!
btw this tune is inspired from "My favorite things" song from sound of music. Such nice tributes to the music. It is so unfortunate that ppl like anu malik have destroyed the difference between "copy" and 'inspiration". That is why I would call this a "tribute" rather than an "inspiration".