PDA

View Full Version : India's challenges/opportunities in 2005

Sandeep
22nd December 2004, 08:28 PM
What, you guys think, are the challenges/opportunities that India faces for the year 2005?

Surya
23rd December 2004, 03:14 AM
I think that the poppulation is surely one of huge challenges. Wonder how India can make that as a positive rather than a negative.

NM
23rd December 2004, 10:04 AM
I think India should really start on a MEGA scale to attract the NRIs scatterred all over the world. Give more opportunities for Indian origins in business, industry and make it more appealing by offering PRs. The whole world has identified India as one of the few countries which are really expanding....so, this is the chance.. If we look at China, they are opening up like India, but, they give priority to Chinese origins. This is really attracting many Chinese living overseas..
The next thing India should have is one or two common written language (like the Mandarin in China). This will unify everyone from all states.....guess this will really be a challenge. Having one common written language does not mean that you are a lesser Tamilian or Keralite or Maharastrian etc etc. One can still learn his own mother tongue but having a common language will unite people....
Well... I guess the idea is silly...being a NRI, I am blind to all other pressing matters and challenges that India is facing or will face but I thought of just giving my 2cent's worth! Anyway, Happy New Year!

adsort
23rd December 2004, 10:10 PM
I believe India should create a solid cyber crime and privacy laws. As our country is in the fastest growing countries list in terms of Information technology the laws are not written or redefined in accordance to the growth of it. This is going to be the one of the big challenge in 2005.

The recent example is arrest of the CEO of baazee.com. Which many of the US Companies including eBay, Yahoo Inc etc. watching closely and also worried about their outsourcing and partnership establishments in India.

hehehewalrus
24th December 2004, 10:02 AM
The next thing India should have is one or two common written language (like the Mandarin in China). This will unify everyone from all states.....guess this will really be a challenge. Having one common written language does not mean that you are a lesser Tamilian or Keralite or Maharastrian etc etc. One can still learn his own mother tongue but having a common language will unite people....

It is there. It's called Hindi :)

MumbaiRamki
26th December 2004, 12:33 PM
hehewalrus ,
Seriana comedy ....
I personally think both south Indians and North indians should be more open minded towards the other .While teh SOuth Indians in general are good in techie ,Northes are good in management ,communication etc

sonu gopi
27th December 2004, 08:34 AM

It is there. It's called Hindi :)

I was just about to say that....but you beat me to it Walrus! :lol:

SONU GOPI :lol:

mandangi
24th February 2005, 10:19 AM
I think that the poppulation is surely one of huge challenges. Wonder how India can make that as a positive rather than a negative.
Population will be very big challenge to states like UP, Bihar etc where there are large number of illiterates.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 10:54 AM
population is a challenge not just for 2005. It is for the whole decade 2000 - 2010. By 2015 atleast that must be controlled.
A more manageable challenge has already been put up by tsunami. It is disaster management. Gearing up the disaster management cells and emergy response teams along the lines of advanced nations is the more immediate challenge of this year. Forget ICBMs and fighter aircrafts, this will save more Rupees in building other capabilities further not to mention the number of human lives.

Shakthiprabha.
24th February 2005, 11:43 AM
//The next thing India should have is one or two common written language (like the Mandarin in China). This will unify everyone from all states.....guess this will really be a challenge. Having one common written language does not mean that you are a lesser Tamilian or Keralite or Maharastrian etc etc. One can still learn his own mother tongue but having a common language will unite people.... ///

Well...........welllllll.................. welllllllllllll..........

how??????????? WHY?????????

Why should we have common language??? We can manage with OUR OWN ENGLISH!! IF we need to communicate with northies THEN WE CAN LEARN COUPLE OF WORDS LIKE

"HINDI NAHI MALOOM" ETC...

Why should MARATH THAMIZHARGAl learn another language? esp when its imposed????

(p.s....I guess I am deaddddd today...for posting these....Good luck to MEEE)
_____

Hope ppl are familiar with usage of 'Irony'. If not try reading the above, ...
_____

Population can never be the newst problem in 2005. ITs always been a great problem, would always be in for atleast another decade or more.

In my view ...

2005 problem would be...

"Technological improvements and cultural shocks reflecting from the same "

lordstanher
24th February 2005, 01:54 PM
Why should we have common language??? We can manage with OUR OWN ENGLISH!! In my view ...

I agree! Hindi can be retained as a national language but English is a must, considering the no. of MNCs/BPOs etc. setting up office in India 4 which English proficency is mandatory.....besides, we won't hav to struggle as much as China/Japan afa communication is concerned!
Sing. has 3 different languages Mandarin, Malay and Tamil but altho the nat'l lang. is Malay, the common/official language is English, or to be precise, Singlish (Sing. English).....don't say ur eager to learn it........u mite forget English then, believe me :lol:

2005 problem would be...
"Technological improvements and cultural shocks reflecting from the same "

Um.....do u mean focussing on handling/fighting the cultural shocks :?:

mandangi
24th February 2005, 01:56 PM
Why should we have common language??? We can manage with OUR OWN ENGLISH!! In my view ...
I think encouraging national language is better than encouraging alien language.

mandangi
24th February 2005, 02:00 PM
population is a challenge not just for 2005. It is for the whole decade 2000 - 2010. By 2015 atleast that must be controlled.
It is easy to control population in states like Kerala where literacy rate is high and people are well aware about society. In states like UP, Bihar etc it is very difficult to control population.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 02:06 PM
One more thing I forgot to add to targets for 2005.
Food Wastage is quite high in india, modernising food godowns and improving food preservation will save India millions of Rupees!

Naah Praveen! Developing a 300 year old language(which is at best 300 years behind) and trying to make that as medium of transaction is huge wastage of effort. Better make everyone English literate. It saves so much effort and spares degree holders from trying to understand how stuff works in their language after translating it from English.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 02:12 PM
Praveen wrote :

In states like UP, Bihar etc it is very difficult to control population.
yeah for that first they should throw lalu out and bring some balu in. I hope they have done that in this election. But god only knows the machinations of "secular" front. they might bring him back in the name of confronting "communal" BJP.

mandangi
24th February 2005, 02:15 PM
In those days i too dont know hindi. Now i can talk in hindi fluently. I am also often watching hindi channels in TV. In Andhra Pradesh hindi speakers are less. When ever i go to Orissa i speak in hindi only. Learning hindi is not difficult if we try. Thinking that learning hindi is difficult is just a myth.

mandangi
24th February 2005, 02:21 PM
yeah for that first they should throw lalu out and bring some balu in. I hope they have done that in this election. But god only knows the machinations of "secular" front. they might bring him back in the name of confronting "communal" BJP.
Communalism and secularism both are vote games of political parties. There will be no benefit in believing any political party. Laloo Prasad Yadav is big fool though he is well educated person. Laloo Prasad Yadav was a lawyer in past. But his behavior looks like illiterate person.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 02:30 PM
Learning spanish and latin is also easy.
Thinking that learning spanish is difficult is just a myth.

mandangi
24th February 2005, 02:32 PM
Learning spanish and latin is also easy.
Thinking that learning spanish is difficult is just a myth.Latin and spanish are not spoken in India. In other countries also people who speak those languages are less. I am not talking about learning latin and spanish. I am talking only about hindi.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 02:39 PM
oh yeah!!
Then substitute hindi with bhojpuri, manipuri, mythili, thulu, kannada, thelugu, malayalam, thamizh,assamese, bangla,naga, french and portugese. They are spoken in India.

mandangi
24th February 2005, 02:40 PM
I am not talking about minor and regional languages.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 03:06 PM
Praveen Kumar Mandangi wrote:

I am not talking about minor and regional languages.

Then forget National integrity and progress. Only hindi development will happen while India will be begging as it did in 70s and eighties.
Then what about minority rights, shall we say with the same breath, minority civil laws can take a break? minority reservations can go on leave? linguistic minorities have to learn how to live with linguistic majority. right? this is your line of argument? Then why don't we apply this to religion as well. Forseeing all this, our founding fathers declared 18 languages as national languages. Today that list is growing. It is good that it is growing. They also declared that English" is our link language and will continue to be so till there is consensus is there to accept any other language as link language. Now 57 years later, hell nobody is comfortable with hindi as a link language. Now thats for linguistic minority to say and it should be a consensus. Even if one indian doesn't think so, then it ain't so. Got it genius? Now for india to progress, there is no need to be a national language in my opinion. One link language and one regional language , it is fine and asta la vista rocks baby! Best thing that our founding fathers did was to say "English" will be our link language and thanks to them, we are attracting profitable investments from abroad and our firms are able to takeover firms globally. Had hindi been link language, there would have been clone states of Binar and U.P. everywhere in India

mandangi
24th February 2005, 08:45 PM
Mahatma Gandhi used to encourage hindi but his mother toungue is not hindi. He is Gujarati. We should not have too much of favour on mother toungue. Dont think that i am trying to say that mother toungue should be ignored.

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 08:59 PM
Praveen Kumar Mandangi wrote:

Mahatma Gandhi used to encourage hindi but his mother toungue is not hindi. He is Gujarati. We should not have too much of favour on mother toungue.

I encourage use of english and my mother tongue is not english it is thamizh. So what do you say now? :lol: :lol: :wink:
Thanks to praveen's analogy, I have now been elevated to the level of Mahathma Gandhiji!!!
thanks, nandree, Dhaniyawaad, Dhanyawaadhagalu, kruthagyathalu, nanneeee

mandangi
24th February 2005, 09:14 PM
I studied in english medium school. I can speak telugu and hindi fluently. For me english, hindi and telugu these 3 languages are important.

jaiganes
25th February 2005, 08:17 AM
Good for you praveen!!
Did anybody watch the curtain raisers to Union budget in Headlines today? Awesome statistics and intelligent analysis. Day before yesterday some interesting points were raised.
1. For every 100 Rs of planned expenditure in Central government, there are 107 Rs of non-plan expenditure.
2. Our power sector has 30 % of Transmission losses and of this atleast 20 % is due to power theft. Analysts conclude that majority have free power and as a result whoever pays bills pay huge sum leading to power thefts. So their conclusion is power subsidies must go.
3. Total strength of central government employees (excluding defence) is 35 lakhs and thier salary and pension burden to exchequer is huge. Most of the central govt offices are overstaffed and overpaid(funny eg. when a seceratary comes to office in a car, three people rush to receive him and the story of towel man who disburses towels to government office as the seceratary in any govt department has 3 towels two in chair and one near wash basin and towel man's only responsibility is to supply new towels every month!!!). Next 10 years, the number of pensioners in central govt is expected to explode and the salary component in the budget may go up by 150 %

Clearly solving micro challenges like these will tie up so many loose ends in the story of union budget and the savings by prudential planning on this front will earn more money to the govt than increasing taxes on professionals who pay tax promptly. These micro changes also will bring in transparency and weed out corruption which is the biggest challenge to India's growth.

mandangi
25th February 2005, 08:36 AM
These micro changes also will bring in transparency and weed out corruption which is the biggest challenge to India's growth.
Big corrupts like Laloo Yadav, PV Narasimha Rao etc enjoyed for some time in AC jails and got freed. Corruption is really big challenge of India.

lordstanher
25th February 2005, 02:06 PM
Learning hindi is not difficult if we try. Thinking that learning hindi is difficult is just a myth.

Adhi kadhamma.....! The point is we can preserve Hindi as a national language and encourage ppl. to learn (atleast speak) it....
But in this age when India is focusing on globalisation etc. it defies logic to downplay English as an 'alien' language and insist on using Hindi more widely in our nation (tat our ppl. r boasting of Hindi as a global language is a diffrnt issue!)
I read an article in India Today last yr tat described the growing popularity of Hindi as India's common lingua-franca- astonishingly even among the teens/Gen-X who r being westernised rite down to the colour of their hair, and nowadays even their names! :lol: (wonder whom they're trying to fool! :P )
Really ironic tat the present-day Indiaz getting westernised in every aspect- even where its unnecessary- but denies this one aspect tat is very much necessary and is after all just a language! :roll:
And besides, those who hav Hindi as their mother-tongue can still speak it at home....so no probs.!

lordstanher
25th February 2005, 02:11 PM
Then substitute hindi with bhojpuri, manipuri, mythili, thulu, kannada, thelugu, malayalam, thamizh,assamese, bangla,naga, french and portugese. They are spoken in India.

huh?? Mythili?? Is tat a language (apart from being a name)?? :o
'course among the 18+ regional languages there r sum tat I don't even know the name of! :D

jaiganes
25th February 2005, 02:18 PM
Mythili is spoken in certain parts of Bihar and it is presumed to be older than hindi. It is not a national language. For national languages, please visit http://www.nic.in.

mandangi
25th February 2005, 06:04 PM
Mythili is spoken in certain parts of Bihar and it is presumed to be older than hindi. It is not a national language. For national languages, please visit http://www.nic.in.
Mythili is dialect of hindi spoken in Mithila region. It is not separate language.