PDA

View Full Version : Quotes about cricket

podalangai
2nd December 2006, 12:12 AM
Cricket is the most important religion in India. Let's share our favourite quotes about cricket or quotes from cricket matches or commentary in this thread.

In good Tamil tradition, I will begin with a கடவுள் வாழ்த்து.

Thank God who made the British Isles
And taught me how to play,
I do not worship crocodiles,
Or bow the knee to clay!
Give me a willow wand and I
With hide and cork and twine
From century to century
Will gambol round my shrine!

-- by Rudyard Kipling.

podalangai
5th December 2006, 06:21 AM
[tscii:577cb0d34d]"There is a widely held and quite erroneous belief that cricket is just another game." -- Prince Phillip

"Cricket civilizes people and creates good gentlemen. I want everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe. I want ours to be a nation of gentlemen." -- Robert Mugabe

“What a magnificent shot! No, he’s out.” - Tony Greig.

[/tscii:577cb0d34d]

P_R
5th December 2006, 08:15 AM
[tscii:9a093ebb8b]
"Cricket civilizes people and creates good gentlemen. I want everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe. I want ours to be a nation of gentlemen." -- Robert Mugabe Genuine or not, what a statement !

“What a magnificent shot! No, he’s out.” - Tony Greig.

[/tscii:9a093ebb8b] Typical Greig-ian overenthu :lol: When did this happen ?

There are few pleasanter or more thrilling moments in one's school career than the first over of a big match. Pleasant, that is to say, if you are actually looking on. To have to listen to a match being started from the interior of a form-room is, of course, maddening. You hear the sound of bat meeting ball, followed by distant clapping. Somebody has scored. But who and what? It may be a four, or it may be a mere single. More important still, it may be the other side batting after all. Some miscreant has possibly lifted your best bowler into the road. The suspense is awful. It ought to be a School rule that the captain of the team should send a message round the form-rooms stating briefly and lucidly the result of the toss.

from Prefect's Uncle

imsai
5th December 2006, 06:14 PM
[tscii:314dafa2d7]“Stepping up to the plate”: A term derived from baseball, this is a particular favourite of Ricky Ponting, who recently said of new boy Stuart Clark: “I don't want to burden him with the label of the new Glenn McGrath, but he really stepped up to the plate when he was needed,". [/tscii:314dafa2d7]

P_R
27th January 2007, 10:52 PM
Richard Stobi, fast-bowler for Tasmania, to Dean Waugh (Younger brother of the twins), after Dean played at and missed 4 consecutive deliveries:
"Christ, you must have been adopted!" :D

P_R
2nd June 2009, 12:09 PM
It's funny kind of month, October. For the really keen cricket fan, it's when you realise that your wife left you in May.
- Denis Norden, British television writer and compere

Say, when do they begin?
- Grouch Marx, watching a cricket match at Lord's

Q: Darryl, who are your favourite actors?
Cullinan: Dustin Hoffman and some Aussie bowlers in the act of appealing.

crajkumar_be
2nd June 2009, 12:23 PM
It's funny kind of month, October. For the really keen cricket fan, it's when you realise that your wife left you in May.
- Denis Norden, British television writer and compere

:lol:

Plum
2nd June 2009, 03:26 PM
Richard Stobi, fast-bowler for Tasmania, to Dean Waugh (Younger brother of the twins), after Dean played at and missed 4 consecutive deliveries:
Some English batsman on being sledged by Mark Waugh constantly from the slips that he is not good enough to be in the English team.
"Atleast I am the best player in my family"
:-)

Plum
2nd June 2009, 03:32 PM
There are few pleasanter or more thrilling moments in one's school career than the first over of a big match. Pleasant, that is to say, if you are actually looking on. To have to listen to a match being started from the interior of a form-room is, of course, maddening. You hear the sound of bat meeting ball, followed by distant clapping. Somebody has scored. But who and what? It may be a four, or it may be a mere single. More important still, it may be the other side batting after all. Some miscreant has possibly lifted your best bowler into the road. The suspense is awful. It ought to be a School rule that the captain of the team should send a message round the form-rooms stating briefly and lucidly the result of the toss.

from Prefect's Uncle

On describing a batsman getting out as soon as he got into the field:

The new batsmen went in to the crease and came back so fast that he almost met himself coming back

LOL!

crajkumar_be
2nd June 2009, 03:41 PM
"The new batsmen went in to the crease and came back so fast that he almost met himself coming back"
:rotfl2:

Kalyasi
2nd June 2009, 04:41 PM
Harsha Bhogle One liners

1. This was in a match btw india and sa.. umpire rudi kuertzen caught on camera sporting a rare smile. harsha commented....

"last time rudi kuerzten smiled there was peace in west Asia"

2. This is again from the natwest trophy final..When yuvraj got out at a very crucial stage..harsha's one liner..
"Yuvraj singh will realize that this will be his longest walk back to the pavilion"

3. When Sachin once got out to a lollypop offspinner (I guess it was Michael Vaughn) in '02.
He wonderfully said, " Oh what a shame. It was reminiscent of a soldier who survived the war when all the bullets were flying by his nose and then got run over by a bicycle in his native town."

4. ind vs aus 2000 icc knockout champioship played in kenya. (yuvi's debut)

Sachin was smasing all aussie bowlers, and then he his a superb off drive off lee.
Harsha : "this innings by tendulkar has been a beautiful garden, the last shot being the most beautiful flower in it"

5. ind vs nzl. (in nzl 2002-2003) sehwag had MANY lucky escapes. when he was dropped once again.

Harsha : "its been that kind of a day. today sehwag can walk blindfolded across a busy highway and not get runover."

6. Natwest Final:
During Naser Hussain's mistimed hits/top edges on his way to his maiden hundred "Naser Hussain is trying desperately hard to find innovative ways of getting himself out"

7. In the same match... "if you are not watching this segment of play, don't ever call yourself a cricket lover anymore. you are watching cricket of a very high order here".

8. Here's n old one...at Perth Adam Gilchrist took a blinder and he described Gilly's dive thus, " ...some of the sea-gulls flying here are going to get a complex."

9. when Tendulkar got a hundred he said
" touch of Class & stamp of Authority"

10. Recently in india's tour of south africa...he blurted out suddenly after Sreesanth's antiques with the bat and hips..." Thiis is the funniest thing u'll ever watch on a cricket field"...!!

11. When Smith dropped Sachin in the 2nd Test

Graeme Smith would be hoping that the world under his feet opens up & he would find a crevice large enough for him to slip through....

12. After india lost the recent test series in SA

India lost the series because they surprised themselves by winning the 1st test . A win should never be a surprise.

13. After Anil Kumble scored his maiden Ton...this is what our great man had to say...

"This is the most romantic moment in Indian Cricket....."

14. "The last time Billy gave lbw , Berlin wall was not there , there was peace in Afganistan,..................."

15. In a match between Aus n SL , Harsha said to Ian Chappell , " I am sure you'll never become a lawyer , I understand everything you say "

Ian Chappell had no counter for this.

16. Harsha was hosting the ICC Awards before the T20 World Cup and he called on Jonty Rhodes to present an award.
So as Jonty began climbing down the stairs, Harsha exclaimed, ''it's pretty unusual to see Jonty walk down the stairs, I thought he might slide down them !"

17. when the wickets were falling in a heap in the T20 match..

THIS SERIES IS SPONSERED BY KFC AND THE WICKETS ARE FALLING FASTER THAN THEIR (KFC's) DELIVERIES....

18. when Gambhr was dropped twice on consecutive deliveries, - "We should conduct a dream job in Australia & the winner will get to stand in the slip region!!!!!!"

19. When Kumble and Ishant were batting, Hussey dropped a catch of Ishant off the bowling of Johnson and Harsha exclaimed,"It's autumn in Adelaide. It's the time when leaves change their colour and they start dropping. Here, as well the catches are dropping..".

20. In a match, dravid left a ball alone while batting. To this gavaskar, who was commenting alongside harsha was very impressed by the way he left the ball. He went on appreciating that for a minute or so. After this harsha's comment was, "Sunny, you nearly got an orgasm of happiness, didn't u!" & then both burst out into laughter!

21. Dhoni is battin with anil kumble.. dhoni calls for a tight single,n harsha has this to say," dhoni scrambles for a single n causes anil kumble n all of his 37 yrs to rush to the other end.."

22. after shaun tait did not live up to the hype Cricket Australia created around him, ponting took him off the attack.
harsha, in his own inimitable style:
"shaun tait should go up to ponting and say "hello mr ponting, my name is shaun tait, and i am supposed to take 45 wickets in this test match"

23. HB was analysing the innings of laxman...laxman made a crucial 79 in the second innings.
HB said something like- " aussies must be feeling that wenever we are on the verge of 17th,this man(laxman) comes in between!"

24. RP Singh walked in but it was Laxman on strike. So the Aussies wanted him to take a single and get RP on strike... so they spread out the field completely, with only the keeper, one slip and one gully inside the 30 yard circle..

That's when Harsha says ..
"now suddenly, Don Bradman is batting out there in the middle... "

25. Seeing the flock of seagulls flying across the pitch Harsha tells Wasim Akram : " As you would say in Punjabi... kee gull hai? sea gull hai!!!"

26. when Michael Clarke was caught at slip off kumble , he was still watin 4 da decision , over this Harsha said, " i think he is waiting for tomorrow's newspaper to declare him out"

27. Yuvraj hit the long six off Brett lee went outside the stadium in Durban

"are there people working late in the office there....... we want the ball back'

27. in t-20 gayle hit a monstrous six but but fell just short of the golf course outside the stadium
harsha: "wat a poor shot just misses the golf course"

28. "if i cannot be tendulkar then tendulkar can also not be me"

29. the players told their favourite shots while coming on to bat....

Collingwood said "a little nurdle of the pads" and Pietersen said blocking the ball....
Harsha commented "the next thing they'll say is that their favourite shot is to leave the ball alone"

30. what an introduction to India Australia semifinal: "This is a battle between unstoppable force against immovable object"

Got this as a fwd... Though 80% of these are mokkais thought of sharing it coz someone who sent me this fwd and the one who started it must have admired them.. :lol: :lol: ..Though a couple of his one-liners sounds gud.....

GP
5th June 2009, 12:16 PM
May 29, 2009

I'm not very good at Twenty20 cricket, am I?

Kevin Pietersen makes a frank admission on the eve of the tournament.

P_R
5th June 2009, 12:23 PM
if you are not watching this segment of play :?

" As you would say in Punjabi... kee gull hai? sea gull hai!!!" :lol: remember reading this one in a Kushwanth Singh column

P_R
6th October 2009, 07:13 PM
Yesterday when Ricky Ponting got out

Alan Wilkins said something to effect that: the Australian captain was ripped out by Kyle Mills

Next Harsha Bhogle and Ian Chappel take over the commentary
(sic)
IC: By the way, Alan should be told: nobody 'rips out' an Australian Captain
HB: hahaha Ian...as commentators we do take some liberties with expressions in the English language
IC: Yeah..but Alan's a Welshman

:rotfl:

Plum
6th October 2009, 07:25 PM

Some english batsman on being sledged by mark waugh that he doesn't deserve to be playing for england;
Atleast i'm the best player in my family :lol:
Follwoing one: delete if unsuitable for family audience
Fred trueman when a slip fielder apologised for dropping a catch while overbalancing
Fielder; sorry, fred. I shouldn't have spread my legs
Trueman: not you, son. Your mother!

P_R
6th October 2009, 07:32 PM
The fielder in question is the respectable match referee Raman Subba Row :lol:

P_R
6th October 2009, 07:38 PM
When bowler Vinoo Mankad dislodged the bails of a nonstriker who had stepped out the crease before the ball was delivered, it was thought of as unsportsmanlike.

When they asked Truman if he would do such a thing

Truman: The question does not arise. When I am bowling, the nonstriker is not eager to get to the other end

19thmay
16th October 2009, 12:18 PM
Sledging is a term used in cricket to describe the practice whereby some players seek to gain an advantage by insulting or verbally intimidating the opposing batsman. The purpose is to try to weaken the opponent's concentration, thereby causing him to make mistakes or underperform. It can be effective because the batsman stands within hearing range of the bowler and certain close fielders; and vice-versa. The insults may be direct or feature in conversations among fielders designed to be overheard.

According to Ian Chappell, the use of "sledging" as a term originated at Adelaide Oval in either the 1963-1964 or 1964-1965 Sheffield Shield competition. Chappell claims that a cricketer who swore in the presence of a woman was said to have reacted to an incident "like a sledgehammer". As a result, the direction of insults or obscenities at opponents became known as "sledging".[2] Despite the relatively recent coining of the term, the practice is as old as cricket itself, with historical accounts of witty banter between players being quite common.

Viv Richards

The great West Indian batsman Viv Richards was notorious for punishing bowlers that dared to sledge him. So much so, that many opposing captains banned their players from the practice. However in a county game against Glamorgan, Greg Thomas attempted to sledge him after he had played and missed at several balls in a row. He asked Richards: "It's red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering." Richards hammered the next delivery out of the ground and into a nearby river. Turning to the bowler, he commented: "Greg, you know what it looks like, now go and find it."

P_R
16th October 2009, 12:23 PM
I think this one can go here: http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=8680&start=15

19thmay
16th October 2009, 12:32 PM
Your wish Prabhu. But may I know the connection between Quotes and Sledging? :confused2:

P_R
16th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Illai anga sledging pathi pEsittirundhOm adhu dhaan.

19thmay
16th October 2009, 12:39 PM
Ok Prabhu Snake gourd-ku prechanai illana maathidunga! :D

Plum
3rd February 2010, 03:17 PM
Doosra is the other man in a woman's life. Doosri is the other woman. Hence, the doosra is unethical, illegal and unacceptable

Thirumaran
14th April 2010, 12:07 PM
Collection of famous quotes by Navjot Singh Sidhu

Got in mail.. Many would have come across. Still there may be some we had missed. :P

1. That ball went so high it could have got an air hostess down with it.
2. There is light at the end of the tunnel for India, but it's that of an incoming train which will run them over.
3. Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald.
4. This quote was made after Ganguly called Dravid for a run and midway sent him back and Dravid was run out in the third test against the West Indies at Barbados. "Ganguly has thrown a drowning man both ends of the rope."
5. Sri Lankan score is running like an Indian taximeter.
6. Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than what they hide.
7. Wickets are like wives - you never know which way they will turn!
8. He is like Indian three-wheeler, which will suck a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30!
9. The Indians are going to beat the Kiwis! Let me tell you, my friend that the Kiwi is the only bird in the whole world, which does not have wings!
10. As uncomfortable as a bum on a porcupine.
11. The ball whizzes past like a bumble -bee and the Indians are in the sea.
12. The Indians are finding the gaps like a pin a haystack.
13. The pitch is as dead as a dodo.
14. Deep Dasgupta is as confused as a child is in a topless bar!
15. The way Indian wickets are falling reminds of the cycle stand at Rajendra Talkies in Patiala one falls and everything else falls!
16. Indian team without Sachin is like giving Kiss without a Squeeze.
17. You cannot make Omelets without breaking the eggs.
18. Deep Dasgupta is not a Wicket Keeper, he is a goalkeeper. He must be
given a free transfer to Manchester United.
19. He will fight a rattlesnake and give it the first two bites too.
20. One, who doesn't throw the dice, can never expect to score a six.
21. This quote was made after Eddie Nichols, the third umpire, ruled Shivnarine Chanderpaul 'NOT OUT' in the second test at Port of Spain T&T "Eddie Nichols is a man who cannot find his own buttocks with his two hands."
22. Anybody can pilot a ship when the sea is calm.
23. Nobody travels on the road to success without a puncture or two.
24. You got to choose between tightening your belt or losing your pants.
25. The cat with gloves catches no mice.
26. Age has been perfect fire extinguisher for flaming youth.
27. You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
28. He is like a one-legged man in a bum kicking competition.
29. The third umpires should be changed as often as nappies and for the same reason.
30. Kumble's bowling at the moment is flat as a Dosa

jinju
22nd April 2010, 02:01 PM
thanks TM, sidhu's goofups can also be well documented i think. sometime back, when boycs n siddhu were part of espn, siddhu in his usual overenthusiastic way quipped "that shot was like butter through knife" n boycs jumped in "sherry, i think u meant like knife through butter!" :D

Plum
22nd April 2010, 02:08 PM
thanks TM, sidhu's goofups can also be well documented i think. sometime back, when boycs n siddhu were part of espn, siddhu in his usual overenthusiastic way quipped "that shot was like butter through knife" n boycs jumped in "sherry, i think u meant like knife through butter!" :D

Vijayakumar nAttAmai: sEla muLLula vizhundhAlum, muLLu sElaiyila vizhundhAlum, sEdhAram nammada sElaikku dhAnunga ammaNi.

jinju
22nd April 2010, 02:14 PM

Vijayakumar nAttAmai: sEla muLLula vizhundhAlum, muLLu sElaiyila vizhundhAlum, sEdhAram nammada sElaikku dhAnunga ammaNi.

:D
can be mentioned as, Siddhu in the way of samaalification told:

ajithfederer
31st December 2010, 02:28 PM
Found a sledging quote; Don't know where to post

Healy & Atherton
Michael Atherton, on his first Tour to Australia was adjudged not out on a caught behind appeal.
At the end of the over Ian Healey walked by and announced "You're a f*@$%#* cheat".
Athers replied very politely "When in Rome dear boy.......".

P_R
31st December 2010, 02:36 PM

Merv Hughes once said most of Atherton's repartees are so clever that they are lost on those he is engaging with.

ajithfederer
31st December 2010, 02:41 PM
-deleted-

ajithfederer
31st December 2010, 02:46 PM
Merv Hughes and umpire dickie bird
Merv asks dickie how man balls he has bowled that particular over. (An over being 6 balls)
Merv: How many is that?
Dickie Bird: 3
Merv: 3 gone or 3 to come?
Dickie: 3 gone, 4 to come as I am going to no ball you for being a ****************

Mervyn Hughes to Gooch after playing and missing at a number of consecutive deliveries: I'll get you a piano instead to see if you can play that.

Inzaman Ul-Haq to Brett Lee - Stop bowling off-spinners.

Ian Healy asked Arjuna: "Got your legs shivering?"
Arjuna replied: "Yes, I’m tired after sleeping with your wife"

Malcolm Marshall was bowling to David Boon who had played and missed a couple of times.
Marshall: "Now David, Are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?"
[tscii:383fb18b2d][/tscii:383fb18b2d]

ajithfederer
31st December 2010, 02:52 PM
Denis Lillee and Mike Gatting - Australian pace bowler Lillee stopped on his run up to Gatting in the opening match on England’s 1994-95 tour to deliver the immortal: “Hell, Gatt, move out of the way. I can't see the stumps.”

i'm sure tht the date is wrong.

Flintoff Vs Tino Best

Best, never short of a word or two when he is bowling, was done up like a kipper by the England all-rounder as West Indies slumped to defeat in the first Test. Flintoff saw his opponent preparing to face Giles' off-spin and shouted: " Watch the windows, Tino!" The wind-up had the desired effect, causing Best to come charging out of his crease like a man possessed. He took a wild swing at the ball, missed and was promptly stumped by Geraint Jones. Not a broken window in sight. Flintoff could not contain himself and spent the next five minutes giggling like a teenager, as Best sat on the balcony rueing his stupidity.

Mother (in law) of all sledges:

In the 1980's Ian Botham returned early from a tour of Pakistan, and on radio joked " Pakistan is the sort of country to send your mother in-law to ." Needless to say the Pakistanis did not find this amusing, and when Pakistan defeated England in the 1992 World Cup Final, Aamer Sohail told Ian Botham " Why don't you send your mother-in-law out to play, she cannot do much worse."

Viv Richards to Gavaskar:

Gavaskar had decided to relinquish his opening position and come in at no 4 for that test. But, Malcolm Marshall fired out Anshuman Gaekwad and Dilip Vengsarkar for ducks, setting the stage for Gavaskar to walk in at 0/2.And he thought there would be less pressure! Viv Richards says " Man, it don't matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero."

Barmy Army Vs Shane Warne

England's "Barmy Army" recently decided to sledge leg spinner Shane Warne musically, and it has been described as boorishly personal, but effective.

The sledge was based on Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - the "Where's your poppa gone?" Song. It has been converted to " Where's your missus gone?" (Warne had recently been divorced ith ife)

[tscii:e54bfee619][/tscii:e54bfee619]

ajithfederer
31st December 2010, 03:04 PM
Hughes was an enthusiastic sledger and targeted Graeme Hick (pictured) for his venom, viewing him as weak at the mental side of the game. "Mate," he would say, "if you just turn the bat over, you'll find the instructions on the other side." Or: "Does your husband play cricket as well?'

Australia fighting for a win nearing the end of a Test Match

Fred Trueman at the crease. The Aus captain has plenty of

close-in fielders, whose shadows fall on the wicket.

Fredie finds this objectionable. 'Ere, if you lads don't back off,

I'll appeal for bad light!"

[tscii:9d6af7b8dd][/tscii:9d6af7b8dd]

Plum
31st December 2010, 03:09 PM
[tscii:62b7653ec7]
Waugh Vs Jamie Siddons:
In a Sheffield Shield game between NSW and SA, a Waugh twin (not sure which) was taking an enternity to take guard, asking the umpire for centre, middle and leg, two legs - the whole lot. Then he steps away towards leg side and has another look around the field, before re checking centre. Jamie Siddons is at slip, and decided enough is enough. He yells out. "For christ sake, it's not a 'f*ckin test match."
Waugh replies: " Of course it isn't … You're here. "

You missed Siddons' repartee.

It was Mark Waugh and Siddons' reply was
"Atleast I am the best player in my family" :lol:

Arjuna Ranatunga was also quite a riot:

Healy to Warne who was bowling to Ranatunga:
"Place a Mars bar near short leg, Warnie. This fat slob will come out licking his mouth"

Arjuna's reply
"I'll have no chance of reaching the mars bar, Heals. Boonie(who was fielding at short leg) will be onto it in a flash"[/tscii:62b7653ec7]

ajithfederer
31st December 2010, 03:15 PM
I thought mark waugh sledge was known to every one and thats why i left it out.

SoftSword
13th January 2011, 10:27 PM
ivlo kevalamaa ellaam pesikitrindhirukkanga... sledging'nra perula.... aana monkay gate madhiriyana visayathukkellaam over-react panranga...

jinju
13th February 2011, 02:30 PM
"It's easier to play cricket than clean toilets." Ray Price prefers turning his arm over for Zimbabwe, to what he used to do before becoming an international cricketer

jinju
24th June 2011, 01:37 PM
this man is a character!:-D

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/quote/index.html

" If there is an uglier top three in the world than Andrew Strauss, Cook and Trott, I don't know of it."
Graeme Swann is grateful for England's prolific top three but says he wouldn't pay to watch them bat

Plum
24th June 2011, 02:13 PM
And he just called his team mate an idiot :lol:
(Praveenkumar, Sreesanth, Munaf-lAm ivan teamla irundhA epdi kalAippAnO!)