PDA

View Full Version : || Delhi 6 | Rakesh Omprakash Mehra | Abhishek Bachchan ||

Pages : [1] 2

ajaybaskar
12th December 2006, 12:33 PM
Delhi-6 is a forthcoming Bollywood film to be directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra that will star Abhishek Bachchan , Sonam Kapoor, Om Puri, Atul Kulkarni, and Divya Dutta.

Delhi-6 is based on Mehra's growing up years in Chandni Chowk area of Old Delhi. The film will be Mehra's third directorial venture after the immensely successful Rang De Basanti, which had been selected as India's official entry to the Oscars and critically acclaimed Aks.

The film, produced by Ronnie Screwvala who previously produced Rang De Basanti will have musical maestro, A. R. Rahman composing the film's score and music. The music of the film is said to be expermental and in sync with the film. Editing will be handled by P.S. Bharati who previously worked as an editor in Mehra's Aks. Cinematography is handled by Ravi K. Chandran. Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra along with Kamlesh Pandey, Renzil D'Silva and renowned writer Syd Fields write the film.

The entire film will be shot at several locations in India including New Delhi and Mumbai. The shooting for the film will begin in early 2007 as Mehra is still in the process of finalizing the script. UTV plan to release the film sometime late next year.

http://delhi6.co.in/

arr_for_ever
12th December 2006, 01:29 PM
Good to hear this and Bollywood Music industry is in Healthy state by ARR

MADDY
12th December 2006, 02:06 PM
:bluejump: :bluejump: :clap: :thumbsup:

ARRahman - Raykesh Mehra

this is a great combo and should do many films together.......Hrithik in 2 ARR films :shock: .....great, i seriosly think ARR has reversed his run of bad luck and is in safe land now.... 8-)

Hulkster
12th December 2006, 05:44 PM
Did he have any bad luck in bollywood in the first place?...his talent and success are too great to be ignored and shuffled by a flopping film :exactly:

MADDY
12th December 2006, 08:12 PM
Did he have any bad luck in bollywood in the first place?...his talent and success are too great to be ignored and shuffled by a flopping film :exactly:

one film is ok ma, but string of flops - is somewhat tricky....but now, he has come out of it....... 8-)

dinesh2002
13th December 2006, 10:28 AM

about in hindi i dun think so... but in tamil.....GOSH....i dun wanna turn back & look at it.... nightmares!!!!!!!! :shock: the most scariest is Kadhal Virus & Kangalal Kaithi Sei.... excellent scores...and 97% of the normal Tamil music fans dunno about it........ :? :(

in hindi...hmm...wut about Meenaxi,Tehzeeb,Swades,Netaji,Lakeer...arent this movies flop?? :?: but yeah,musically it did its part...was popular songs..

nickraman
14th December 2006, 03:06 AM
ARR wasn't a flop. He's got chartbusters right from his "Rangeela" days through the recent "RDB."

Thank RGV for bringing the limelight to Bollywood.

Still, his tamil scores have been...average compared to his Bollywood ones.

ajaybaskar
1st January 2007, 12:42 PM
The sad news is that the MD of Delhi 6 is Ranjith Barot and not ARR as announced earlier. Its a light hearted comedy and is to be shot in a very short span of time. Hence ROM has opted for Ranjith.

Good news is that Bhairavi, ROM's next venture, has music by ARR..

Ramakrishna
7th April 2007, 08:32 PM
Siddharth bags a real big one!
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
April 7, 2007
Having catapulted to fame with his mega hit movie Rang De Basanti, director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra is gearing up for his forthcoming autobiographical venture, Delhi 6. The director faced an uphill task in finalizing the hero right from the start. On receiving negative

siddharth
response from Abishek Bachchan he approached Hrithik. With Hrithik agreeing to the script and when everything was rolling around peacefully, bang came a rude shock with Hrithik suddenly pulling out of the movie.

Not perturbed by this, the director offered the role to Siddharth who readily agreed to it. The movie will be shot in India and is expected to be released during 2007 end. Siddharth, who stole the thunder with his histrionics in RDB, is mighty pleased on getting the offer. This movie will be one of the four movies that are going to be produced by UTV for Rakeysh. Music is by none other than the Maestro, A.R.Rahman.

sat_srini
9th January 2008, 05:01 PM
[tscii:4252e956e1]It took me 6 yrs to understand screenplay" - Rakyesh Mehra

By Subhash K. Jha, January 9, 2008 - 14:10 IST

There's been a long gap between Rang De Basanti (RDB) and your next project Delhi 6?
Why do you say that? This is my natural pace of working. RDB came three years after my first film Aks. I'm coming after 2 ½ years with Delhi 6. After Aks I was un-learning my mistakes. My biggest shortcoming in Aks was the screenplay. It has taken me 6 years to understand the concept of the screenplay. Now I know the most imperative part of my creative system is to know what needs to be gotten out on screen. The urge to make a film should be like an obsession. Delhi 6 is the one I am dying to make now.

The audience rejected Aks, but gave RDB an unprecedented ovation.
I have great faith in the audience. It has always shown a great deal of maturity. In fact, we, the filmmakers are also the audience, why do we forget that. Audiences aren't some species from outer space, or a symbolic unidentifiable mass of people. The minute you isolate yourself from the audience the film won't work. Cinema is all that I do, apart from swimming.

The casting of the male lead in Delhi 6 was a problem.
The casting has been a journey. My first and instinctive choice for the part was Abhishek Bachchan. And I met him right after RDB. Then the dates didn't work out. We decided to come together for a later film. But fortunately for our movie it finally worked out. But it wasn't as though I was just waiting. I kept working on the script. We tried to get other actors. But the role belonged to Abhishek.

You were actually supposed to launch him.
Yeah, in a project called Samjhauta Express. We at that time were two young guys stepping into filmmaking together. Today at 42, I'm not so young. Abhishek is still young. He's a natural. I'd have got as much out of him as an actor in his debut as I'll now in Delhi 6. Even ten years from now he'll have something exciting to offer. We're both instinctive in our approach to cinema. To me Abhishek is very special.

And what made you pick Sonam Kapoor?
Once I saw the promos of Saawariya I saw my heroine jump out of the screen. That was enough for me to call her and her father Anil Kapoor. Then when I saw Saawariya I was completely convinced of my decision.

Delhi 6 recreates vignettes from your own youth in Delhi's Chandni Chowk. How personal would it be?
I've managed to distance myself from the screenplay. Having said that let me also say that every film I make will have a slice of my life. Delhi 6 more so than others. Aks was the least personal. It was my first film, and not necessarily by choice. I was finding my way into the cinema business with Aks. The film that I wanted to make first is yet to be made. The screenplay constantly keeps mutating. To me the screenplay keeps changing until the day I go on the floor. According to me, the shooting belongs to the players. The coach has done his job by creating an environment where the players do their best. On the floors, my job is that of a referee. I just have to keep the players within boundaries.

You've been singularly fortunate with actors.
Oh yes, and in Delhi 6 I am blessed because I get to work with Waheeda Rehmanji again. She was a little reluctant to do RDB; I had told her very seriously that I would erect the set outside her Mumbai home in Bandstand. Her car would've had to pass through my set every day. I was very serious about this. My producers looked shocked but it didn't matter to me. Now in Delhi 6 she has a far more pivotal role. I am blessed to work with her twice. The film also has Om Puri. He's perfect for the part. He has kindly adjusted his dates in spite of the delays. Then there is Atul Kulkrani, Divya Dutta, Shefali Shah, Supriya Pathak, K.K Raina and Pavan Malhotra.

What about the music?
A.R. Rahman has already done the score. We finished two months ago. And I'm working with two great writers Kamlesh Pandey and Prasoon Joshi on board. I am co-producing the film with UTV. Ronnie Screwvala and I share a very special bonding; we understand each other's vision. We balance each other's creativity out. We went through both turbulent and smooth weather during RDB. So, that made our bond stronger. Now I am completely nervous, though in a good way.

I can understand, what with RDB behind you.
That doesn't matter. RDB was another film, another director. I was happy being part of it. Now I hope we can do justice to Delhi 6. The winds are favouring us. Let's see.

But the director who made RDB is far more successful and therefore has much more weight on his shoulder.
Doesn't matter. At the end of the journey, it is the same terminal for all the passengers. Let's hope I find my baggage this time.

http://www.indiafm.com/features/2008/01/09/3455/[/tscii:4252e956e1]

Ramakrishna
8th September 2008, 09:23 PM
[tscii:80d534123d]The words in bold italics are the words from a song recorded by AR Rehman, written by Prasoon Joshi, for the film ‘DELHI 6′. The film is being directed by Rakeysh Mehra and Abhishek stars in it. I had been asking for the music from Abhishek for sometime now and yesterday he sent it to me on email.

From the moment I heard it it touched an emotional chord in me and I immediately shared my feelings with Abhishek and Rakeysh. Rakeysh informed me that AR had had a dream about the tune of this song 2 years ago and in DELHI 6 he found the correct opportunity to record it. I heard it repeatedly through out the day. On sitting down to put down my thoughts for the day on blog, I put on the ear phones and continued to listen to Maula.

Nothing came into my head but the words and the emotion of the song. It played for 4 hours. Repeat after repeat after repeat. And then the words for the blog simply spilled out. I put within quotes the bold and the italic because they were words from the writer. I did not sign my name at the end because I felt I did not own them..

I sign now..

http://blogs.bigadda.com/ab/2008/09/07/day-142/[/tscii:80d534123d]

ajaybaskar
5th December 2008, 05:45 PM
http://www.abhishekbachchan.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10511/dilli6.jpg

directhit
5th December 2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.abhishekbachchan.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10511/dilli6.jpg thalaivar peru podama poster :x

Guess_Me
14th December 2008, 08:52 PM
[tscii:d99eb774d4]First look at Delhi-6

Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra presented a first look at his next film “Delhi-6” (earlier titled in “Dilli 6”) to the media at the Dubai International Film Festival today (December 14, 2008).

The very short, intense looking teaser was a collage of scenes from old Delhi such as the Friday prayers at the Jama Masjid and cycle rickshaws in the meandering lanes of the old town interspersed with shots of the Statue of Liberty, a carefree Sonam Kapoor dancing with a pigeon perched on her head and Abhishek Bachchan in a variety of moods. And a soulful, unmistakably A.R. Rahman number in Sonu Nigam’s voice playing in the background.

Release Date: February 20, 2009

Read More (http://www.masala.com/9071-first-look-at-delhi-6)[/tscii:d99eb774d4]

ajaybaskar
14th December 2008, 08:58 PM
Another ARR album on the way....

ajaybaskar
14th December 2008, 09:33 PM
Abhishek, Sonam, Rakeysh Mehra meet the media in Dubai

by Aabha Sahai
Abhishek Bachchan, Sonam Kapoor and Rakeysh Mehra at the photo call for "Delhi-6" in Dubai on December 14, 2008 picture: ITP Images
Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra presented a first look at his next
film "Delhi-6" (earlier titled in "Dilli 6") to the media at the
Dubai International Film Festival today (December 14, 2008).

The very short, intense looking teaser was a collage of scenes from
old Delhi such as the Friday prayers at the Jama Masjid and cycle
rickshaws in the meandering lanes of the old town interspersed with
shots of the Statue of Liberty, a carefree Sonam Kapoor dancing with
a pigeon perched on her head and Abhishek Bachchan in a variety of
moods. And a soulful, unmistakably A.R. Rahman number in Sonu
Nigam's voice playing in the background.

"The film is about Roshan Mehra, who travels to India with his
ailing grandmother. Little does he realise that this short trip will
turn into the longest journey of his life – a journey where he
discovers India and himself," said Mehra. The story is told against
the backdrop of the walled city of old Delhi. And the number 6 in
the title is the postal pin code of the area.

"I grew up in Delhi, but contrary to media reports this film is not
autobiographical, " clarified Mehra. "I based it in old Delhi because
I believe that the city is a microcosm of India in terms of our
mindset. But despite the ancient setting, the film is an exploration
of contemporary Indian society," he added. Mehra also said that
like "Rang De Basanti", this film too has political overtones
because he believes that "we cannot and should not avoid politics".

Speaking about his role, Abhishek said, "This film presents a
foreigner's point of view of what the real India is and I could
identify with that because I was away from India for many years
during my schooling. Doing this film was a life changing experience
for me and I am happy I got this opportunity to discover myself."

Sonam Kapoor believes that her character Bittu represents today's
Indian youth. "Bittu has her quirks and strengths. And I hope young
people learn something from her mistakes and struggles and they feel
inspired to accept their own culture instead of trying to blindly
ape others," she said.

Looking strikingly pretty in a black D&G dress and magenta shoes,
Sonam incidentally got the biggest applause when she the "Delhi-6"
team was introduced to the room full of media.

The film's stellar cast includes Waheeda Rehman, Om Puri, Rishi
Kapoor, Prem Chopra, Pawan Malhotra, Atul Kulkarni, Supriya Pathak,
Tanvi Azmi, Divya Dutta, Vijay Raaz, Deepak Dobriyal and KK Raina.
It is co-produced by UTV and Mehra and slated for release on
February 20, 2009.

Ramakrishna
15th December 2008, 01:24 PM
Delhi-6 promo (bad quality)
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=D98hDRsio8k
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1dt4AwLRM

Guess_Me
16th December 2008, 03:46 PM
Delhi 6 good quality promo
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/video/video.aspx?id=47592

The instrumental theme music here is just brilliant!!!

lancelot
16th December 2008, 03:59 PM

The instrumental theme music here is just brilliant!!!that video is so not working :snif: :snif:
hehe
:D

Guess_Me
16th December 2008, 04:58 PM
Try Internet Explorer. It didn't work in Firefox for me.

Reality
16th December 2008, 07:31 PM

The instrumental theme music here is just brilliant!!!that video is so not working :snif: :snif:
hehe
Try this..
http://www.santabanta.com/video.asp?video=2144

Ramakrishna
16th December 2008, 08:36 PM

hehe
Try this..
http://www.santabanta.com/video.asp?video=2144

Amazing music. Instantly catchy :cool2:

Scale
17th December 2008, 01:51 PM
Fabulous piece of music. Less than a min UTV :bangcomp:

ARR vocals & Accordian usage :2thumbsup:

A.ANAND
18th December 2008, 02:47 PM
I thought it was hariharan voice. not arr!

sad
18th December 2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1028242799319

Excellent Quality

dinesh2002
18th December 2008, 04:18 PM
Audio should be in Jan !!! Yay!!!! :D

villan007
18th December 2008, 04:51 PM
thalaiva konjam gap vidunga.. innum yuvraaj la irunthe velia varla

dinesh2002
18th December 2008, 04:57 PM

Aparam Ghajini ?? :confused2:

MADDY
18th December 2008, 08:54 PM

Aparam Ghajini ?? :confused2:

adhu aduthha varusam :lol:

seriously, moochu thenarudhu :lol:

jaiganes
30th December 2008, 11:41 PM
what a crazy cool trailer man!!

littlemaster1982
31st December 2008, 07:44 AM
The trailer was shown before Ghajini. Attagaasam 8-)

thamizhvaanan
31st December 2008, 09:01 AM
The trailer was shown before Ghajini. Attagaasam 8-)

LM, Ghajini paathuteengala? :D

Once again I am having high hopes for this album (endha ARR album'ku thaan irundhadhu illa :lol: ). ARR seems to enjoy working with Rakesh Mishra. Kandippa excellent a irukkum :)

littlemaster1982
31st December 2008, 09:22 AM
Paarthachu Thamizh :)

The humming was out of the world when heard in theatre :notworthy: ARR is getting worthy projects in Hindi :thumbsup:

MADDY
31st December 2008, 09:46 AM
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=OkG1EGsrqts&feature=related

:bow: stunning visuals.....esp the scene where she opens the door and there is new york(?) :bow: mindblowing

//Raykesh Mehra is my most fav filmmaker in hindi currently - so pls bear with my superlatives abt him :P //

Ramakrishna
3rd January 2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?uwkwtcddu11

Ramakrishna
4th January 2009, 10:54 AM
Masakalli - Song Promo from Delhi 6

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSz6a4mDHg

Mahen
4th January 2009, 01:58 PM
Masakalli - Song Promo from Delhi 6

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSz6a4mDHg

Sounds very different..Have to wait for the full version..Love the humming though :)

Ramakrishna
4th January 2009, 02:04 PM
Music on Jan 14th!!
just saw in b4u promo

Scale
5th January 2009, 01:10 AM
Happy Birthday AR :D (6th)

Tere naya saal Main pehla mausam :Dilli 6

Great Musical year ahead :bluejump: :redjump:

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 03:25 PM
wat a song....
ARR sathiyamaa manusane illa...

we need to insure his brain for crores and crores of rupees...
he is one great asset to the country more than any kohinoor diamond...

batthiramaa paatthukkongappa...

Guess_Me
5th January 2009, 07:08 PM
Masakilli sounds really good

crajkumar_be
5th January 2009, 07:12 PM
:cool2:

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 07:18 PM
Jan 14...
a series of albums getting released in ~two month duration between...

am sure atleast one of the ARRs disciple would have got heart attack with too much of overload...

thamizhvaanan
5th January 2009, 07:57 PM
Jan 14...
a series of albums getting released in ~two month duration between...

am sure atleast one of the ARRs disciple would have got heart attack with too much of overload...

The closest thing that comes to my mind is winter of 1999, when 4 ARR tamil albums were supposed to release.

If I am right, they were Alaipayuthey, Tajmahal, Mudhalvan and Kandukondein kandukondein. This is awesome!!! :D

littlemaster1982
5th January 2009, 09:02 PM
Tajmahal and Mudhalvan audio released in Sep/Oct 1999. Alaipayuthey in Feb 2000. KKKK was released on March 15 2000 8-)

thamizhvaanan
5th January 2009, 09:09 PM
Tajmahal and Mudhalvan audio released in Sep/Oct 1999. Alaipayuthey in Feb 2000. KKKK was released on March 15 2000 8-)

The statsman arrives! :ty: LM.

I remember closely following the newspaper articles at that time, which kinda mentioned that the producers were worried about the albums eating into each others profit and hence planning to shift dates. That is the market thalaivar commands and to his credit, it has only got bigger and wider :notworthy:

This is getting close if not better than the golden run he had then.

LM, did he release any hindi albums in that period?

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 09:12 PM
ALaipayuthey and KK were the 2 gems released together....

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 09:30 PM

The statsman arrives! :ty: LM.

I remember closely following the newspaper articles at that time, which kinda mentioned that the producers were worried about the albums eating into each others profit and hence planning to shift dates. That is the market thalaivar commands and to his credit, it has only got bigger and wider :notworthy:

This is getting close if not better than the golden run he had then.

LM, did he release any hindi albums in that period?

ya it was taal....

thamizhvaanan
5th January 2009, 09:37 PM
ALaipayuthey and KK were the 2 gems released together....

Seriously!! I didnt have access to cassette player during those days and used to crave for every little oppurtunity to listen to these songs, be it radio or TV.

Once I stood infront of toilet for almost an hour because from there I could faintly hear my neighbours playing KKKK album.

During december, they play earblasting "bakthi" albums in loudspeakers to inspire god faith among general public :lol2: and among them sometimes they play Alaipayuthey album. I used to sit in terrace in drenching cold, so that I could get a decent listen.

Unlike my other favourites, I didn't discover ARR's music. ARR's music discovered the real "me" and my taste :notworthy:

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 09:39 PM
TV, Devoted Rahmaniacs like you have inspired our boss to the extent of even winning an Oscar for India.....Gr8...

thineshan54321
6th January 2009, 11:11 PM
hey ajaybaskar, I really appreciate you adopting the new style. But can you also change the all caps. It makes it very hard to read when it is all all caps. just a suggestion. also remember to put some spaces between | as in P || Delhi 6 | Rakesh Mehra | ...

it might not fit when you put the spaces so suggesting to make the directors name shorter. thanks and I also urge other creators of recent thread to go ahead and make the changes. you guys will soon notice how much cleaner and neater our thread will look.

lancelot
7th January 2009, 09:44 AM
i think the name of this thread has to be adjusted a little bit more to comply with our current format...

hehe

lancelot
7th January 2009, 09:47 AM
oops.. thineshan already suggested it... sorry i didnt read :)

hehe

thineshan54321
7th January 2009, 09:25 PM
thanks ajaybaskar.

Guess_Me
8th January 2009, 11:51 AM
[tscii:8aae5353b1]"Masakkili was not planned - Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra"

Mumbai, Jan 8 (IANS) Sooraj Barjatya’s “Maine Pyar Kiya” had a pigeon song that became popular and 20 years later Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra has a dove song in his forthcoming film “Delhi-6″. He says it was not part of the original plan.”The song was not really meant to be part of the narrative. I mean, who would think of putting in a song about a dove in a film like ‘Delhi-6′? It just happened. When I came to the pre-climax portion of my script, I was stuck. I needed a continuity link taking the narrative to its finale,” Mehra told IANS.

Mehra’s much talked-about “Delhi-6″ has a large cast including Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek, Sonam Kapoor and Gulshan Grover as well as a dove named Masakali who serves as the romantic leitmotif in the plot. So crucial was the dove to the film that a whole song was written and composed in its honour. The song “Masakali” is sung by Mohit Chauhan whose voice A.R. Rahman had used in “Rang De Basanti”.

“When I narrated the scene to Rahman, he said, ‘I can see a dove here’. I was taken aback. I had never mentioned Sonam’s dove to Rahman. How did he know about it? That’s how the song ‘Masakali’ was born,” said Mehra. Mehra says the songs fit well in the plot of the movie.

“When Rahman and I did ‘Rang De Basanti’, we didn’t think about anything except how well the songs and music fitted into the plot. The music of ‘Delhi-6′ is again designed only for the film. The dove song ‘Masakali’ makes sense only within the parameters of our plot.”[/tscii:8aae5353b1]

A.ANAND
8th January 2009, 03:12 PM
Dove song in Delhi-6 was not planned: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra

IANS | Thursday, 08 January , 2009, 11:57

Sooraj Barjatya's Maine Pyar Kiya had a pigeon song that became popular and 20 years later Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra has a dove song in his forthcoming film Delhi-6. He says it was not part of the original plan.

"The song was not really meant to be part of the narrative. I mean, who would think of putting in a song about a dove in a film like Delhi-6? It just happened. When I came to the pre-climax portion of my script, I was stuck. I needed a continuity link taking the narrative to its finale," said Mehra.

Mehra's much talked-about Delhi-6 has a large cast including Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek, Sonam Kapoor and Gulshan Grover as well as a dove named Masakali who serves as the romantic leitmotif in the plot.

So crucial was the dove to the film that a whole song was written and composed in its honour. The song Masakali is sung by Mohit Chauhan whose voice A R Rahman had used in Rang De Basanti.

"When I narrated the scene to Rahman, he said, 'I can see a dove here'. I was taken aback. I had never mentioned Sonam's dove to Rahman. How did he know about it? That's how the song Masakali was born," said Mehra.

Mehra says the songs fit well in the plot of the movie. "When Rahman and I did Rang De Basanti, we didn't think about anything except how well the songs and music fitted into the plot. The music of Delhi-6 is again designed only for the film. The dove song Masakali makes sense only within the parameters of our plot."

http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14832715

ajaybaskar
9th January 2009, 10:50 AM
CD cover of Delhi 6

http://www.t-series.com/exclusive_dilli6.asp

ajaybaskar
9th January 2009, 10:53 AM
UTV World Movies bags 'Golden Globe' telecast rights for 3 years

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k9/jan/jan48.php

Guess_Me
9th January 2009, 08:45 PM
Arziyan - New Promo from Delhi 6

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LKicPLYn0

ajaybaskar
10th January 2009, 10:42 PM
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=u8A3aIakty8

Maula Song promo

Mahen
10th January 2009, 11:33 PM
Arziyan and maula are the same :) Divine stuff....The song reminds me piya haji ali

Mahen
10th January 2009, 11:37 PM
Hope the movie has nothing to do with terrorism..Heard that it is controversial subject and thats why siddarth backed out

dinesh2002
11th January 2009, 12:13 PM
It looks it has many religious things involved... hope to hear some great Hindu religious numbers from ARR ......

MADDY
11th January 2009, 10:14 PM
hope to hear some great Hindu religious numbers from ARR ......

u mite have to wait till Marmayogi for that :) Delhi-6 seems to be a movie abt old delhi which is a predominantly muslim dominated area- so expect more sufi stuff :wink:

A.ANAND
13th January 2009, 01:53 PM
Mani Ratnam shoots in MP
IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, January 13, 2009]

Director Mani Ratnam canned a song with over 500 junior artistes accompanying Vikram at a village in Jhansi (Madhya Pradesh) recently.

Mani Ratnam's movie (tentatively titled Ashokavanam) is being made simultaneously in Tamil and Hindi. Vikram plays the lead role in Tamil, while Abhishek Bachchan does the same in the Hindi version. Aishwarya Rai plays the female lead in both versions.

After completing the first schedule in the forests of Kerala, the crew moved over to Madhya Pradesh where Priyamani joined the sets. A song sequence was shot at Jhansi involving Vikram and Prabhu and around 500 junior artistes.

Since fans gathered in large numbers at the shooting spot to watch Abhishek and Mani Ratnam, heavy security has been enforced around the shooting spot.

thumburu
13th January 2009, 03:10 PM
Heard a bit of the song "masakali" in the trailors and one can hear the familiar accordion sound ARR used for "ennuyire" song in film "Uyire".

crajkumar_be
13th January 2009, 08:26 PM
The 'Masakali' song sounds so funky, fresh and 'new'. Can't wait to hear the full song :musicsmile:

ajaybaskar
13th January 2009, 11:31 PM
Track List of Delhi 6- Mouth watering tracks

1) Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein)
Music Label:T-Series
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Gowariker, Shraddha Pandit, Sujata
Majumdar
Lyricist: Prasoon Joshi
Music Director: A R Rahman
Duration (mm:ss): 3:01

2) Arziyan
Singers: Javed Ali, Kailash Kher
Duration (mm:ss): 8:42

3) Bhor Bhaye
Singers: Shreya Ghosal, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Gujri Todi
Duration (mm:ss): 3:19

4) Delhi 6
Singers: Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Vivinenne Pocha, Tanvi, Claire
Lyricist: Vivinenne Pocha, Claire
Duration (mm:ss): 3:36

5) Dil Gira Dafatan
Singers: Ash King, Backing Chinmayee
Duration (mm:ss): 5:4

6) Genda Phool
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Shraddha Pandit, Sujata Majumdar
Music Director: A R Rahman, Rajat Dholakia
Duration (mm:ss): 2:5

7) Hey Kaala Bandar
Singers: Karthik, Naresh, Srinivas, Bony Chakravarthy
Duration (mm:ss): 5:53

8) Masakali
Singers: Mohit Chouhan
Choreographer: Vaibhavi Merchant
Picturised on: Abhishek Bachchan, Sonam Kapoor
Duration (mm:ss): 4:51

9) Noor
Singers: Amitabh Bachchan
Duration (mm:ss): 5

10) Rehna Tu
Singers: A R Rahman, Benny Dayal, Tanvi

SVN
14th January 2009, 12:07 AM
Wow! A total of 10 tracks, including an 8 minute male duet and a classical number. Creates a lot of expectations. BTW, it can't be Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan.. He passed away in the 60's. Is that a typo? or is it an 'overlay' track on top of one his old Thumri recordings?

Yathu
14th January 2009, 01:54 AM

2) Arziyan

I like the sound of this one! Javed Ali :2thumbsup: Khailash Kher :thumbsup:

...but nearly 9 mins? :shock:

sat_srini
15th January 2009, 05:06 AM
Song: Ishq mohabbat pyaar / ye hai delhi mere yaar

Vocals: Tanvi Shah, Blaaze, Benny.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=JCQuhINRHH4

Thanks to Nazeef - ARRYG

pure bliss
15th January 2009, 05:44 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/audiolisting/12980/index.html

enjoy guys

dinesh2002
15th January 2009, 07:23 PM

1) Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein)
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Gowariker, Shraddha Pandit, Sujata
Majumdar
Duration (mm:ss): 3:01

2) Arziyan

3) Bhor Bhaye
Singers: Shreya Ghosal, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Gujri Todi
Duration (mm:ss): 3:19

4) Delhi 6
Singers: Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Vivinenne Pocha, Tanvi, Claire
Lyricist: Vivinenne Pocha, Claire
Duration (mm:ss): 3:36

5) Dil Gira Dafatan
Singers: Ash King, Backing Chinmayee
Duration (mm:ss): 5:4

6) Genda Phool
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Shraddha Pandit, Sujata Majumdar
Music Director: A R Rahman, Rajat Dholakia
Duration (mm:ss): 2:5

7) Hey Kaala Bandar
Singers: Karthik, Naresh, Srinivas, Bony Chakravarthy
Duration (mm:ss): 5:53

8) Masakali
Singers: Mohit Chouhan
Choreographer: Vaibhavi Merchant
Picturised on: Abhishek Bachchan, Sonam Kapoor
Duration (mm:ss): 4:51

9) Noor
Singers: Amitabh Bachchan
Duration (mm:ss): 5

10) Rehna Tu
Singers: A R Rahman, Benny Dayal, Tanvi

Any Hindu Religious numbers here ??

Guess_Me
15th January 2009, 07:33 PM
Wow!!! For me, this is THE best soundtrack from ARR since Jodhaa Akbar. It's even better than Yuvvraaj, which for me is among the best of 2008.

All songs are a treat to the ears. My current favorite is Dil Gira Dafatan. What a beauty!!!

thineshan54321
15th January 2009, 07:38 PM
Wow!!! For me, this is THE best soundtrack from ARR since Jodhaa Akbar. It's even better than Yuvvraaj, which for me is among the best of 2008.

All songs are a treat to the ears. My current favorite is Dil Gira Dafatan. What a beauty!!!

thalaivaa!!! how r u listening to the songs?

Guess_Me
15th January 2009, 07:43 PM

I managed to download from IndiaFM before they removed it. Someone has released the same version at Bollywood Torrents right now, so if you have an account there, you can download now.

My upload speed at this time is really poor. I will get access to high speed connection after 9 PM IST and try to upload to Rapidshare like I always do.

thineshan54321
15th January 2009, 07:45 PM

I managed to download from IndiaFM before they removed it. Someone has released the same version at Bollywood Torrents right now, so if you have an account there, you can download now.

My upload speed at this time is really poor. I will get access to high speed connection after 9 PM IST and try to upload to Rapidshare like I always do.

thank u!

littlemaster1982
15th January 2009, 07:46 PM
Guess_Me,

Please do upload in Rapidshare and PM the link. You can delete it as always by tomorrow morning.

Any idea when the CD is releasing?

rashid2raj
15th January 2009, 07:47 PM
Masakalli .... Wouw :yes:

:ty: RAHMAN

rashid2raj
15th January 2009, 07:49 PM
Thalaivas humming in Masakalli is fabolous 8-)

Guess_Me
15th January 2009, 07:53 PM
Thalaivas humming in Masakalli is fabolous 8-)
Did you listen to Dil Gira Dafatan?

rashid2raj
15th January 2009, 08:00 PM
Nope, i haven't the soundtrack yet :(

Luck by chance i just found full version of Masakalli, how is Dil Gira Dafatan? Oh my god just can't wait, hehe.

callmeshyam
15th January 2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.songs.pk/indian/delhi6.html

thineshan54321
15th January 2009, 08:21 PM
WOW dil Gira!!! the first interlude is not made on earth. he has scottish and oriental sounds in there. how did he ever combine those sounds. wow!

rashid2raj
15th January 2009, 08:27 PM
Dil Gira Dafatan, what a composition. It just transcends you to a new world... Wouw. Btw. is it a new singer?

thineshan54321
15th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Dil Gira Dafatan, what a composition. It just transcends you to a new world... Wouw. Btw. is it a new singer?

i am really not sure, but whoever it is. what can i say? this composition is so innovative! new sounds. never heard a melody this slow in my life before. but its so gooood

rashid2raj
15th January 2009, 08:42 PM
Rehna tu, what a song. You know what makes A.R.Rahman so speciel? He just keeps going on his own track. Never follows anyone in terms of style, composition, and so on. How can he manage, my god; A.R.Rahman long live :clap:

inetk
15th January 2009, 09:34 PM
The first ever 300 word music review in Milliblog - Delhi 6.

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/01/15/music-review-delhi-6-hindi-a-r-rahman/

MADDY
15th January 2009, 09:36 PM
Dil gira - speechless - so many layers........wat arrangements :o 8-) who sung the song - its a very very tuf humming 8-)

MADDY
15th January 2009, 09:39 PM

:thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
15th January 2009, 09:40 PM

:shock: :shock: What a pleasant surprise :) Can't wait to listen the songs :redjump:

Guess_Me
15th January 2009, 10:05 PM

Totally agree with you

directhit
15th January 2009, 10:15 PM
wowow :redjump: :bluejump: one more from ARR

inetk
15th January 2009, 10:27 PM
Listen to the songs online in IndiaFM (backdoor entry) here,

http://tr.im/7uru - click on page 2 for two more songs, Arziyan and Masakali.

crajkumar_be
15th January 2009, 11:12 PM
Haven't listened to the songs yet but if the beginning is anything to go by, 2009 will be a killer year for Indian music (Raaja, Rahman and Amit Trivedi) 8-)

Mahen
15th January 2009, 11:13 PM
any links guys?? pls pm me.. :)

crajkumar_be
15th January 2009, 11:21 PM
Dil Gira - Need to give it a few more times i guess. No great shakes on first listening

Masakali, on the other hand, is fantastic :smokesmirk: :notworthy:

rprasad
15th January 2009, 11:26 PM
wow, talk about going overboard and overhyping something .this takes the cake. I listened to most of the songs and nothing special in any of them atleast nothing to warrant a 300 word milliblog in my opinion(on other hand having read most of his reviews for Pritam and other similar composers songs, it does not surprise me that he thinks this is great). all the same youthful peppy rhythms we have heard before from ARR in recent other albums. Seriously Maskali is so great? having heard all the hits of ARR this one does not even come close. Rehna tu has the same often heard sound with the usual ARR crooning in high pitches in between.
Well i guess when someone's stars are shining bright(like for ARR) everything they do seems great.

rashid2raj
15th January 2009, 11:38 PM
wow, talk about going overboard and overhyping something .this takes the cake. I listened to most of the songs and nothing special in any of them atleast nothing to warrant a 300 word milliblog in my opinion(on other hand having read most of his reviews for Pritam and other similar composers songs, it does not surprise me that he thinks this is great). all the same youthful peppy rhythms we have heard before from ARR in recent other albums. Seriously Maskali is so great? having heard all the hits of ARR this one does not even come close. Rehna tu has the same often heard sound with the usual ARR crooning in high pitches in between.
Well i guess when someone's stars are shining bright(like for ARR) everything they do seems great.

This is not overhyping :lol: Go and buy yourself a new life !!!
First of all, even though Pritam is a copycat much worse than deva & co, he's still capable of giving good music. Your level of appreciation of good music, is very low :? or maybe zero!?

Regarding, Dilli 6, the music is so different. Let me ask you one question, "all the same youthful peppy rhythms" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How can you call this music youthful :P
Okay, fine then, please tell us; where did you hear these "youthfull peppy rhythms" before ????? Cus' i never heard them :roll:
Yaa A.R.Rahman won some awards in US. Why are you dragging that into these songs?? Since 1992, the star has been shining on Rahman, got a problem?

Sureshs65
15th January 2009, 11:39 PM
rprasad,

I wrote something similar at the milliblog site. It is nice album but nothing that warrants this hype.

S.Suresh

Guess_Me
15th January 2009, 11:40 PM
(on other hand having read most of his reviews for Pritam and other similar composers songs, it does not surprise me that he thinks this is great)
And it doesn't surprise me that you think the songs are not good considering 90% of your posts are in Ilayaraja forums :wink:

rprasad
16th January 2009, 12:01 AM
Yes i post mostly in IR's thread(because i grew up listening to IR)but i listen to everything and i like a lot of ARR songs which are truly good. by the way i never said i dont like this album. Yes this a nice album with good listenable songs and Rhythms.But please dont use sentences like this is the best soundtrack in ages or something like that. There are better songs from ARR than this.

Also ro RashidrRaj, please dont judge anyone. You have no idea on my level of music appreciation so dont venture a guess. It is your problem if you cannot find similarities in Rhythms or sound. So dont indulge in personal attacks here. I stated my opinion. If you dont agree just say you think this is a great album and move on instead of indulging in personal mudlinging. And why is saying someones stars are shinning bright so wrong to you? I am just stating the obvious. ITs normal for any person in this world. When he is in good times, everything clicks. Nothing wrong there. I am happy for ARR's success.

thamizhvaanan
16th January 2009, 12:04 AM
I am happy for ARR's success.

Yes we can see that.

littlemaster1982
16th January 2009, 12:11 AM
But please dont use sentences like this is the best soundtrack in ages or something like that. There are better songs from ARR than this.

It's Karthik's opinion. Why are you worrying so much about it? If you think Delhi-6 is just a good album, so be it.

Why do you have to go and rant in IR thread about this review? Even Karthik panned Ghajini in his review [Yeah, I know some ARR fans were disappointed] Where did ARR's stars go then? It was not too long before either.

If you like Nandhalala go and listen it thousand times instead of passing remarks about Delhi-6 everywhere.

raagas
16th January 2009, 12:41 AM
Guys...relax...an album is good...just enjoy it.. what do we derive out of these comparisons and rants?? every album and composer is different...in style, etc. either u will like or dislike. whatever it is...be it so..whats the point arguing... no one will suddenly start liking just bcoz someone else won an argument right.

Chill.. we have good soundtracks to play on..and we will do that..simple.

MrIndia
16th January 2009, 01:21 AM
wow :D :D great songs!!!!!

gud timing!!

Delhi6 CDs landing on hands of people from the west... who want to know more abt AR Rahman who won the golden globe.

a mix of indian culture and terrific composition ..

Scale
16th January 2009, 01:54 AM
[tscii:f459160867]raagas nallave overtime paarkareenga :lol: I appreciate your intent :thumbsup:

rprasad, If your problem is with karthiks sensing abilities, I totally agree. and he does goes overboard at times. If its with ARR;s songs in Delhi 6 then you have to know something about ROM working style hear RDB and watch it. ARR himself got fascinated too earlier to comeup with a distinctive soundtrack.

Rakeysh Mehra is one blessed director, to have inspired such an awe-inspiring assortment of songs marked by its collective dramatic diversity. Delhi 6 is one of the best ever soundtracks I’ve heard in ages.

Thats the point![/tscii:f459160867]

Loved Nandhalaala songs. :D

rashid2raj
16th January 2009, 01:55 AM

gud timing!!

Delhi6 CDs landing on hands of people from the west... who want to know more abt AR Rahman who won the golden globe.

Exactly my thoughts :D

Scale
16th January 2009, 01:57 AM
Coming to the soundtrack it a pleasure listening
hooked on to Masakali & Rehna Tu & Dil Gira Dafatan, Ariziyan. ARR;s stylemark :musicsmile: :cool2:

I wonder what would be the movie plot to include such a crazy track "Hey kaala kaala bandhar " & lyrics Ember's rap was not credited, Monkey sound, Nuclear bomb :rotfl:

ethir paartha maadhiriye 10 songla 9 song cut on screen as bgms

Guess_Me
16th January 2009, 08:18 AM
[tscii:17e8b5e5a7]Two excellent Delhi 6 reviews from PlanetBollywood.com

Aakash Gandhi (9.5/10): (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m011509044926)

"The aural splendor of DELHI 6’s score is one that escapes superlatives. Rahman’s varied approach and stylized compositions provide rare insight into the deepest corners of musical nirvana. Yet at the same time, they all carry that special Rahmantic touch that cannot be seen, nor heard…it must be felt. From the classically enlightened ambiance of Bhor Bhaye to the globalized rhythms of Masakali, from the sultry smooth treatment of Dil Gira Dafatan to the beautifully reinvigorated qawwali of Arziyan – Rahman’s Delhi 6 is a potpourri of shimmering brilliance that emerges amidst a milieu of vibrating sensations.

One can only marvel at this gifted man’s musical wizardry. But the scary part is…after two decades, it is still just the beginning"

Samir Dave (10/10): (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m011509124435)

"What an amazing musical journey it has been so far with this soundtrack. Rahman has given us styles that range from the folksy “Massakalli” to the classical “Bhor Bhaye”, to the higher level aarti “Tumre Bhavan Mein”, to the funky yet traditional “Genda Phool”, to the absolutely masterful “Dil Gira Dafatan”, to the quirky “Hey Kaala Bander”, to the soul stirring “Rehna Tu”, to the urban funk of “Delhi 6”, and finally to a masterful end with an irresistible qawwali, “Arziyan”. Javed Ali and Kailash Kher bring the house down with this track. You will clap along with them as they sing the higher power lyrics written by Prasoon Joshi. Rahman keeps the synths to a bare minimum here, instead relying on the classical based instruments dholak, tabla along with harmonium and that ages old human instrument, the clapping of hands. A perfect ending to this most perfect of soundtracks, this track will have you shouting, ‘WAH WAH Rahman bhai…ONCE MORE…THUMS UP!”

One would think that Rahman couldn’t raise the bar any higher.Just when you wonder how high he can go, he raises the bar even higher until one feels that he has attained true musical nirvana and we are lucky enough to be along for the ride. “Dilli 6” shows a Rahman that is at the top of his game. He is a league ahead of his contemporaries and an artist that transcends global boundaries to spread the joy of his music throughout the world. As of this writing, he has just won the Golden Globe award for the music of “Slumdog Millionaire” and has been nominated for best music by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. I am sure he will be nominated and win the Academy Award for best music as well. Being creative and re-inventing oneself over the years is no easy feat, but Rahman has proven time and again that his creative well never runs dry. “Dilli 6” is a masterpiece from a master maestro, and another soundtrack that will be treasured for years to come. I don’t know how the movie will turn out, but this soundtrack far surpasses “Rang De Basanti” in scope, variety and beauty. Do yourself a favor and listen to this one over and over. You won’t regret it as you let the music take you to the darkest and brightest parts of your soul. Rahmaniacs rejoice in the musical nirvana that is A.R. Rahman! "[/tscii:17e8b5e5a7]

littlemaster1982
16th January 2009, 08:54 AM
But the scary part is…after two decades, it is still just the beginning"

Being creative and re-inventing oneself over the years is no easy feat, but Rahman has proven time and again that his creative well never runs dry.

Goosebumps all over :notworthy: :notworthy:

united07
16th January 2009, 08:57 AM
in south we had Chennai 26 and in north it will be Delhi-6....

of course both are poles apart in terms of genre

lancelot
16th January 2009, 08:59 AM
guys guys guys... please upload the songs and give me the link.. please...
hehe

sat_srini
16th January 2009, 09:17 AM
Rocking Soundtrack!!! So many music genres in a single album.

This is just the beginning of the year and more accolades to come for Thalaivar. And of course, we are going to see a lot of burning/whining here in the hub.

MADDY
16th January 2009, 09:23 AM
Rocking Soundtrack!!! So many music genres in a single album.

This is just the beginning of the year and more accolades to come for Thalaivar. And of course, we are going to see a lot of burning/whining here in the hub.

just wanted to post this :bow: guys - chill, they are a demoralised lot, they will do watever to spoil our fun.........they are like vrichhikka-kanth who come in kadhal comedy scene - sit back and enjoy and ask for more (naa innum edhirpaakkuren unga kitterndhu)......dont reply to them seriously :P

back to album - dil gira - wow slow tune on a fast paced strings.....who else can do it :bow: (nalla review kuduthha mattum kovam varudhu)

thamizhvaanan
16th January 2009, 09:28 AM

gud timing!!

Exactly! I am out of words to describe this album adequately :D

What is the instrument that comes towards the end of Rehna tu? Continuum?

Mahen
16th January 2009, 10:41 AM
Pls give me links guys..i want to listen...It is not easy to get hindi cds here... :cry:

Mahen
16th January 2009, 11:20 AM
Oh my...What an album... :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: Hooked to masakali, dil gira,arziyan and bhor bhaye...Shreya ghosal in bhor bhaye :notworthy: Enama padura..Never heard her singing like this before..ARR :clap:

Mahen
16th January 2009, 11:23 AM
Delhi 6 is 8-)

Ramakrishna
16th January 2009, 11:48 AM
links?

SoftSword
16th January 2009, 12:35 PM
guys link please

united07
16th January 2009, 12:45 PM
The 'Delhi 6' song has traces of Aye Bachu.....listen carefully

united07
16th January 2009, 01:09 PM
I am completely hooked to:

1) Ghenda Phool
2) Kaala Bandar
3) Delhi 6

for now, in that order....

completely satisfying album!

sibicalls
16th January 2009, 02:01 PM
Wow...wow..wow.. I listened to Dev D and thought the new music director has come up with real innovative stuff... Hardly a week later comes the reply from THE KING of music..Great start to 2009 :clap:

MADDY
16th January 2009, 03:19 PM
Wow...wow..wow.. I listened to Dev D and thought the new music director has come up with real innovative stuff... Hardly a week later comes the reply from THE KING of music..Great start to 2009 :clap:

yaaru avan - eppadi paathalum namma payyan (Amit is ARR fan)........

when is the Delhi-6 CD releasing or has it already released :oops:

crajkumar_be
16th January 2009, 03:48 PM

"dei, enada paattu padam ellam sollama kollama release panna makkal naanga eppadi paakkaradhu?" :twisted:

SoftSword
16th January 2009, 03:58 PM

maddy... links please..

villan007
16th January 2009, 05:04 PM
its available on torrents already

MADDY
16th January 2009, 05:26 PM

"dei, enada paattu padam ellam sollama kollama release panna makkal naanga eppadi paakkaradhu?" :twisted:

it was expected to release on jan14th.....function should be big enuf to accmodate 'Golden Globe Winner' ARRahman :)

littlemaster1982
16th January 2009, 08:45 PM

CD is supposed to be released on Jan 19-21. Enna logic-o :roll:

thamizhvaanan
16th January 2009, 10:20 PM
[tscii:7471824369]Aakash Gandhi on Dila gira daftan (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m011509044926)

Verdict: It’s as if I’m hearing music for the very first time…

Beautiful!! Imagine a savage hearing to music for the first time and being moved by its beauty and splendour. Even after years of appreciating other's music, only ARR provides such a pleasure that makes you wonder whether you are listening to something magical and surreal, whether it is the first time you are experiencing music!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:[/tscii:7471824369]

littlemaster1982
16th January 2009, 11:04 PM
From Chinmayee's blog (http://chinmayisripada.blogspot.com/2009/01/delhi-6-dil-gira-dafatan.html)

I had no clue I had sung in the Delhi 6. I had no recollection either. And have been waiting to hear the song to figure out what this song was, ever since last week when people started wishing me the best. And some sent me the links where the track listing was given. That I did not remember an Ash King did not help either. But as soon as the song opened bells of recognition pealed. I have sung only about 3 lines in the song. And I did not expect to see my name on the CD at all.

Ash King, (I don't think that was how he introduced himself then) is an Indian but not from here; perhaps from London. That is if my memory serves me right. I saw the utmost patience with which Rahman sir got him to sing. So much encouragement ... and I really wonder where he sources his zillion tonnes of patience. AK was probably singing Hindi for the first time. I remember being awestruck during that session. Always words of praise and encouragement.

Every recording session is not just learning a song that has never been sung. Its a life lesson. More so at Rahman sir's studio. There is so much to learn. You realize there is so much evolving to do after every visit. One can never cease to be part an experience that will always be nurturing, humbling and divine. Every time you sing. At His studio.

muzammil_fr
17th January 2009, 02:23 AM
confusing confusing, who sing the rap part in Hey Kaala Bandar? it's not Ember? and why he don't get credit.

thineshan54321
17th January 2009, 02:42 AM

gud timing!!

Exactly! I am out of words to describe this album adequately :D

What is the instrument that comes towards the end of Rehna tu? Continuum?

yes sir! ARR has used his continuum to control a very unique synth/flute sound. very well played. btw, it is very very challenging to play the continuum. think of it this way. in keyboard lets say u have 12 notes, in a continuum those 12 notes are a continous spectrum of notes and to be able to play it without disturbing the raaga is very very challenging. it mite be ez in rock music style but to play a carnatic piece, extremely difficult. hooked to that part. amazing. AND WOW. WHAT A SOUNDTRACK. some of the songs are too small like amitabhs speech, thot he couldve left that out. and whats the dal with the classical number. is it an old song and shreya singing along?

thineshan54321
17th January 2009, 03:33 AM
wow. dul gira dafatan gives me the same feelings pudhu vellai mazhai from roja gives me. it feels just as fresh and new as any roja songs. who is this guy? how does he do this? i honestly dont think a human being can do this, think he is cheating. i feel like crying of joy when i hear this song. pure bliss!

MrIndia
17th January 2009, 05:06 AM
genda pool is kinda of bubbly.. and gud beats..
probably next endrendum song .

lancelot
17th January 2009, 07:08 AM
does anyone have the CD cover?
hehe

united07
17th January 2009, 10:29 AM
Phew!...just listen to the non-stop singing in Kaala Bandar from 3.33 to 4.10!......don't even try to sing along!

ajaybaskar
17th January 2009, 02:32 PM
My pick is Masakkali...

lancelot
17th January 2009, 03:59 PM
Rehna Tu, Rehna Tu, Rehna Tu, ohhhh YES!!!

hehe

muzammil_fr
17th January 2009, 07:48 PM
guys, plz answer me to my question, who sing the part of Kaala Bandar, it's not ember?

Scale
18th January 2009, 01:49 AM
Dil Gira Dafataan has splendid orchestration, Masakali has rocking prelude, arresting accordian & Mohit's sensational vocals, Ariziyan has masters crooning "maula" & Rehna Tu is ARR's wizardly show.

Whereas My pick is the phenomenal title track - Dilli 6!! A beautiful portrayal of the lively city in 3 languages Prasoon's hindi lyrics,
Blaaze enlish rap (short), Vivianes french lyrics, & Tanvi/claire joining in their slurred rendition.

All the way - its Dilli 6!! Only ARR can create such a funky & lively track. Stunner!! :ty:

yeh dilli hai mera yaar bas ishq muhabbat pyar

Basti he mae saaloon ki dilli dilli...Galli hey deewano ki dilli6

yeh shehar nahi mehfil hain

delhi 6 delhi 6 - Marching chorus

kabhi pyaar mein gaali detha hain .. kabhi gaali mein pyaar bhi hota hain..
apni aankon ka taara bhi yehan pyaar hai!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

This is a may madham taxi taxi to Delhites. Awesome!! :cool2:

Scale
18th January 2009, 01:58 AM
muzammil - I think its ember. All others I can hear it clearly. Lets wait for credit list UTV :hammer:

united Thats srinivas kitne parde ...12 vatti sollirupparu 5 secnds. :lol: Mixing!

I have a old Vs new feel in this album. ROM :roll:

coucou
18th January 2009, 03:15 AM
Dil Gira Dafataan has splendid orchestration, Masakali has rocking prelude, arresting accordian & Mohit's sensational vocals, Ariziyan has masters crooning "maula" & Rehna Tu is ARR's wizardly show.

Whereas My pick is the phenomenal title track - Dilli 6!! A beautiful portrayal of the lively city in 3 languages Prasoon's hindi lyrics,
Blaaze enlish rap (short), Vivianes french lyrics, & Tanvi/claire joining in their slurred rendition.

All the way - its Dilli 6!! Only ARR can create such a funky & lively track. Stunner!! :ty:

yeh dilli hai mera yaar bas ishq muhabbat pyar

Basti he mae saaloon ki dilli dilli...Galli hey deewano ki dilli6

yeh shehar nahi mehfil hain

delhi 6 delhi 6 - Marching chorus

kabhi pyaar mein gaali detha hain .. kabhi gaali mein pyaar bhi hota hain..
apni aankon ka taara bhi yehan pyaar hai!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

This is a may madham taxi taxi to Delhites. Awesome!! :cool2:

Same feelings on the song delhi 6, songs where viviane is, are amazing : taxi taxi , now delhi6 :D

lancelot
18th January 2009, 10:10 AM
damn!!!! iTUnes wont let me give more than 5 stars for a song... grrrrrr :lol:
what an awesome album... stunning!!!

great start to the last year of the naughties!! :)

hehe

MADDY
18th January 2009, 10:12 AM
rehna tu is amazing 8-) the instrument played at the end - wow, wat is it?? is it a string instrument of something like flute??

littlemaster1982
18th January 2009, 10:20 AM
Maddy,

It's Continuum. Thalaivar mentioned about this instrument in his Rediff chat. (Answer to Wibha's question).

See this video (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrmp2EaVChI)

littlemaster1982
18th January 2009, 10:24 AM
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(instrument)

Thalaivar is one of the very few artists who uses this instrument 8-)

littlemaster1982
18th January 2009, 11:13 AM
Theatrical Trailer (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1037042938894&oid=93022730135)

MADDY
18th January 2009, 11:20 AM

:bow: talk abt experiments with instruments and sound :) look at the list of people using the instrument 8-)

crajkumar_be
18th January 2009, 03:51 PM
[tscii:8013a2bb0c]

http://www.ece.illinois.edu/news/headlines/hl-fingerboard.html
From the same wiki link (just posting so that nobody overlooks/misses this link)

ECE Professor’s instrument featured on world-renowned musician’s tour

By Lauren Eichmann, ECE Illinois
June 13, 2007

ECE Professor Lippold Haken’s invention, a musical instrument called the Continuum Fingerboard, is being featured on famous Indian film composer and musician A.R. Rahman’s Third Dimension North American Tour this summer. Rahman, who is best known for composing more than 70 film scores and soundtracks and has sold close to 200 million albums worldwide, made his Midwest debut at the sold-out Sears Centre in suburban Chicago on June 9.

A.R. Rahman demonstrating the
Continuum Fingerboard
Haken attended the concert and met beforehand with Rahman, who plans to give a verbal introduction of the Continuum prior to each of his shows. “He was so gracious about introducing the Continuum Fingerboard,” said Haken. “It will be great exposure for the University and the instrument. Since the instrument is different from a keyboard or from a wind controller or other traditional instruments, it is great to have a well-known artist take it seriously and perform with it."

Rahman said Illinois has "the magic" because the Continuum was created by a University professor and the Kyma sound engine, which the instrument uses, was created by Computer Science and Music alumna Carla Scaletti and ECE alumnus Kurt Hebel.

“I fell in love with keyboard playing as a young boy, but I was frustrated because I could not play [Indian] classical music on keyboards because of the limitations of the keys which never let micro-intonation of notes,” he said at the Chicago area concert. “So recently I discovered something that was quite a revelation for me—the Continuum Fingerboard, invented right here in Illinois by University of Illinois Professor Mr. Lippold Haken!”

The Continuum Fingerboard is made of thick metal with a soft red nylon over neoprene surface. It is a non-traditional keyboard, as it has no keys and only visual markings to indicate finger placement, and has been described as a cross between a keyboard and the fingerboard of a fretless string instrument like a violin.

“It is not easy to play, so it was quite a commitment on A.R.'s part to learn it,” said Haken of the Continuum. “It means he believes this instrument has new expressive possibilities different from all the other instruments out there.”

Although this is the first large-scale concert with the Continuum in Illinois, Rahman is not the first famous artist to have purchased one of the ninety Haken has built by hand. Jordan Rudess, of the progressive metal band Dream Theatre; John Paul Jones, former bass guitarist and keyboardist with Led Zeppelin; and keyboardist Terry Lawless, who has toured with U2 for the last four years, have purchased the instrument, Haken said.

Rahman’s tour includes stops in Atlanta, San Francisco, Houston, Toronto, and New York. Information is available at www.arrahmanworld.net/concert.html.

Haken teaches ECE 110: Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering, ECE 395: Advanced Digital Projects Laboratory and ECE 402: Electronic Music Synthesis and often incorporates the Continuum Fingerboard into his classroom activities.[/tscii:8013a2bb0c]

ajaybaskar
18th January 2009, 05:30 PM
Rehna Tu is pathbreaking.... :2thumbsup:

krish244
19th January 2009, 12:26 PM
Masakali is simply wonderful. Wanted to hear this song since I heard it on trailer. Is there paul mariat's style in orchestration? Nice picturisation too.

Have heard only this song and "Bhor Bhaiye". Shreya's voice range is evident in this song.

thanks,

Krishnan

Guess_Me
19th January 2009, 06:25 PM
T-Series shipped my Delhi 6 CD. Should reach here in 3 days :2thumbsup:

rajasaranam
19th January 2009, 06:27 PM
'Arziyan' & 'Genda Phool' are addictive...Beautiful compositions! not to undermine 'Masakali', 'Kaala Bandar' & 'Dil Gira'(Guitar Thaane?)...
Excellent album and completely satisfying experience. Singling out a no. as the Pick is proving difficult and boy thats the success of Rahman :notworthy:

Ramakrishna
19th January 2009, 09:38 PM
Maula Maula - best of the album after first listening.

callmeshyam
19th January 2009, 10:53 PM
How does one pick the best song in Delhi - 6? I am coming to a conclusion that one just can't. There are so many beauties in this comprehensive package.

Maula Maula, Masakali, Genda Phool, Rehna Too, Aarti, Bhor Bhaye, and .... Dil Gira Dafatan....- AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

Each one has its own dimensions, not an iota of similarity. Whoa! How can one even conceive such variety?

Hoin Hoin Hoin Hoin Hoin......

Scale
19th January 2009, 11:14 PM
[tscii:56afb53259]
A R RAHMAN.COM (http://www.arrahman.com/v2/discography/films-hindi-dilli6.html)
Arziyan - Singers: Javed Ali, Kailash Kher

"Noor" Recitation - Recited by Amitabh Bachchan Poem by Prasoon Joshi

Dilli-6
Singers: Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Tanvi, Vivianne Chaix, Claire French lyrics: Vivianne Chaix and Claire

Rehna Tu
Singer: A.R.Rahman Backing Vocals: Benny Dayal, Tanvi

Hey Kala Bandar
Singers: Karthik, Naresh, Srinivas, Bonny Chakravorty

Dil Gira Dafatan
Singer: Ash King Backing Vocals: Chinmayee

Genda Phool
Music and Lyrics: Traditional
Additional Music Supervision: Rajat Dholakia
Singer: Rekha Bharadwaj Backing Vocals: Sujata Mazumdar, Shraddha Pandit, V.N. Mahathi

Bhor Bhaye
Additional Lyrics: Prasoon Joshi
Singers: Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Shreya Ghoshal
Raag: Gujri Todi

Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein)
Lyrics and Composition: Traditional
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Ashok Gowariker, Sujata Mazumdar, Shraddha Pandit © Saregama India Ltd

MUSIC : A R RAHMAN

LYRICS : PRASOON JOSHI

INSTRUMENTALISTS:

CONTINUUM FINGERBOARD AND ACCORDION SOLO: A.R.RAHMAN, VARIPHRASE

CLASSICAL VOCALS: SHREYA GHOSHAL

GUITAR : SANJEEV THOMAS, IVAN

PERCUSSIONS : T. RAJA

TABLA : K.B. BALAN, WAQAR KHAN

FLUTE : NAVIN IYER

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING : HENTRY KURUVILLA & DEEPAK P.A.

RECORDED AT : PANCHATHAN RECORD-INN, A.M. STUDIOS, NIRVANA, EMPIRE STUDIO & ACOUSTICS

MIXED AT : PANCHATHAN RECORD-INN & A.M. STUDIOS

SOUND ENGINEERS : H. SRIDHAR, S. SIVAKUMAR, DEEPAK P.A. & VIVIANNE CHAIX

MIXING ENGINEERS : K.J. SINGH, DEEPAK P.A.

MASTERED BY : S. SIVAKUMAR AT A.M. STUDIOS

MUSICIANS CO-ORDINATOR : NOELL JAMES

MUSICIANS FIXER : SAMIDURAI[/tscii:56afb53259]

thamizhvaanan
19th January 2009, 11:19 PM

So my suspicion was correct :D This number is an absolute stunner... so laid back and relaxed.

The kind of sound he chose for Continuum is interesting. It is tuned such that it doesn't spoil the experience of that song till that point. :thumbsup:

Vaz
20th January 2009, 12:00 AM
Have been waiting for such an album for a while! Not to say that the recent releases from the boss are not good... far from it... but Dehli 6 manages to create in me the same feeling as say an Uyire, a Lagaan or other albums in the same league! As a matter of fact I was even wondering if it was the events or the context in which I was during those earlier releases that made me appreciate those albums to such an extent... but I'm reassured now! It is just the beauty of the songs that did that! Which means that the beautiful musical journey on which our boss has taken us continues!!!!!!!!!!!!

directhit
20th January 2009, 06:27 AM
Bonny Chakravorty - Is he the one rapping? :?

lancelot
20th January 2009, 09:21 AM

So my suspicion was correct :D This number is an absolute stunner... so laid back and relaxed.

The kind of sound he chose for Continuum is interesting. It is tuned such that it doesn't spoil the experience of that song till that point. :thumbsup:

in which song is the Continuum Fingerboard used? please mind my ignorance... am relly not sure :)

hehe

thamizhvaanan
20th January 2009, 09:27 AM
in which song is the Continuum Fingerboard used? please mind my ignorance... am relly not sure :)

hehe

I reckon it is the ending solo of Rehna tu. He always mentions Continuum as an electronic keyboard where he can play carnatic tunes and that is what he has done in this song. :)

lancelot
20th January 2009, 09:32 AM

hehe

I reckon it is the ending solo of Rehna tu. He always mentions Continuum as an electronic keyboard where he can play carnatic tunes and that is what he has done in this song. :)

oh cool, thanx
yes its an awesome song... amazing...
hehe

thamizhvaanan
20th January 2009, 09:38 AM
The greatest asset with ARR is that he is always willing to learn. When he made the cut to HFM he was known as the guy who composes catchy south indian songs. Since Taal he has really mastered North indian style, just look at the number of North Indian folk genre's he has mastered (qawwali, wedding song etc., ).

He collaborated with Finnish folk troupe Vatrina and now we are hearing some sweet Celtic tunes and instruments (Yeley and Dil gira). He collaborated with MIA (God only knows what that stuff is) and insisted that she teaches him her stuff and in Delhi 6 title track we have Tanvi singing in her style with Rahmanesque arrangements in background.

This is just the beginning :notworthy:

thineshan54321
20th January 2009, 10:06 AM
The greatest asset with ARR is that he is always willing to learn. When he made the cut to HFM he was known as the guy who composes catchy south indian songs. Since Taal he has really mastered North indian style, just look at the number of North Indian folk genre's he has mastered (qawwali, wedding song etc., ).

He collaborated with Finnish folk troupe Vatrina and now we are hearing some sweet Celtic tunes and instruments (Yeley and Dil gira). He collaborated with MIA (God only knows what that stuff is) and insisted that she teaches him her stuff and in Delhi 6 title track we have Tanvi singing in her style with Rahmanesque arrangements in background.

very nice observations. arr is just a insanely rapid absorber of music. also i would like to add that in the first interlude with the celtic tunes, he mixes a chinese piece (warriors of earth and heaven).

lancelot
20th January 2009, 10:35 AM

very nice observations. arr is just a insanely rapid absorber of music. also i would like to add that in the first interlude with the celtic tunes, he mixes a chinese piece (warriors of earth and heaven).

i noticed it 2, a very Chinese feel to the beginning Dil Gira Dafatan...
am i correct?

hehe

Scale
20th January 2009, 10:51 AM
I think its bagpiper :goosebumps: in the first interlude. Semma orchestration. Dil sachi mae giradhiya! Instrumental version release pannirukkalam. Why only 10 ROM?

A Rapper is usually credited seperately. Dont know how they missed it. Try to listen ponmagal/shano remix its Ember for sure. I dont think of anyone else. Bony C: :shaking:

TV, Check this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-492266183233953204&q=rahman+continuum&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0) bear the video for its poor quality.

Remember, Whatever we are hearing may be an year old. ARR's accordian in Masakali is terrific and class!

Scale
20th January 2009, 10:59 AM
Lyrics of Delhi 6 songs (http://delhi-6-movie.blogspot.com/2009/01/meaning-of-dafatan-song-delhi-6.html)

If you guys come across any translation please post it here. TIA.

Scale
20th January 2009, 11:01 AM
Its was'nt me I swear
Everybody looking for da monkey out there

:rotfl:

ajaybaskar
20th January 2009, 11:02 AM

It was used in the 'Changing Notes' promo too....

thamizhvaanan
20th January 2009, 11:04 AM
I think its bagpiper :goosebumps: in the first interlude.

First I am not even sure whether it is a wind instrument or string instrument. But I dont think it is bagpiper.

TV, Check this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-492266183233953204&q=rahman+continuum&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0) bear the video for its poor quality.

Wow!! :bow: Thank you scale :ty: :ty:

Here he makes it sound like a violin. I have seen video in which Continuum is played like a slide guitar. But in Rehna tu, I think he really made sure that people don't mistake it for another classical instrument :wink:

ajaybaskar
20th January 2009, 11:04 AM
[tscii:a59a2b0fb3]
A R RAHMAN.COM (http://www.arrahman.com/v2/discography/films-hindi-dilli6.html)
Arziyan - Singers: Javed Ali, Kailash Kher

"Noor" Recitation - Recited by Amitabh Bachchan Poem by Prasoon Joshi

Dilli-6
Singers: Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Tanvi, Vivianne Chaix, Claire French lyrics: Vivianne Chaix and Claire

Rehna Tu
Singer: A.R.Rahman Backing Vocals: Benny Dayal, Tanvi

Hey Kala Bandar
Singers: Karthik, Naresh, Srinivas, Bonny Chakravorty

Dil Gira Dafatan
Singer: Ash King Backing Vocals: Chinmayee

Genda Phool
Music and Lyrics: Traditional
Singer: Rekha Bharadwaj Backing Vocals: Sujata Mazumdar, Shraddha Pandit, V.N. Mahathi

Bhor Bhaye
Additional Lyrics: Prasoon Joshi
Singers: Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Shreya Ghoshal
Raag: Gujri Todi

Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein)
Lyrics and Composition: Traditional
Singers: Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Ashok Gowariker, Sujata Mazumdar, Shraddha Pandit © Saregama India Ltd

MUSIC : A R RAHMAN

LYRICS : PRASOON JOSHI

INSTRUMENTALISTS:

CLASSICAL VOCALS: SHREYA GHOSHAL

GUITAR : SANJEEV THOMAS, IVAN

PERCUSSIONS : T. RAJA

TABLA : K.B. BALAN, WAQAR KHAN

FLUTE : NAVIN IYER

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING : HENTRY KURUVILLA & DEEPAK P.A.

RECORDED AT : PANCHATHAN RECORD-INN, A.M. STUDIOS, NIRVANA, EMPIRE STUDIO & ACOUSTICS

MIXED AT : PANCHATHAN RECORD-INN & A.M. STUDIOS

SOUND ENGINEERS : H. SRIDHAR, S. SIVAKUMAR, DEEPAK P.A. & VIVIANNE CHAIX

MIXING ENGINEERS : K.J. SINGH, DEEPAK P.A.

MASTERED BY : S. SIVAKUMAR AT A.M. STUDIOS

MUSICIANS CO-ORDINATOR : NOELL JAMES

MUSICIANS FIXER : SAMIDURAI[/tscii:a59a2b0fb3]

As per Roland (the creators of VariPhrase): VariPhrase is the first technology that can liberate a static audio recording, allowing it to be controlled dynamically via MIDI. VariPhrase products have revolutionary capability to make audio “elastic.” The secret to elastic audio is the independent control of pitch, time, and formant. This allows audio to be controlled with realtime MIDI messages in a completely non-destructive environment Even more amazing is that all of this can be done without changing the sound quality of the original recording. That’s the power of VariPhrase.

Thanks to arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com

littlemaster1982
20th January 2009, 12:43 PM
I think its bagpiper :goosebumps: in the first interlude. Semma orchestration. Dil sachi mae giradhiya! Instrumental version release pannirukkalam.

It is terrific. Around 2:06 another section of strings start and reaches the height at 2:26. What follows then is beyond description :notworthy: :notworthy:

pure bliss
20th January 2009, 01:19 PM
'Dikhlade thenge in sabko jo udna na jaane,' a happy-go-lucky voice smugly states at some point during the thrilling course of Delhi [Images] 6's soundtrack. And man, what a thumbs down to all the seriously imagination-challenged musicians out there.

A R Rahman (who else, really?) makes waiting for his music such a worthwhile chore what with one fantastic soundtrack after another. Close on the heels of a deserving Golden Globes wins follows the anticipated score of Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Delhi 6. Considering its impossible-to-define Chandni Chowk roots, Rahman injects the sounds of this 10-tracked album with an eclectic fusion of various genres. Bottom line: it's a 10 on 10.

Here's why:

Move over Aditi, lyricist Prasoon Joshi, his soaring imagination and Rahman at his affable best; collaborate to produce the mirthful, fluttering sensation, Masakali. Playing on the metaphor of a carefree pigeon of the same name whilst drawing parallels with Sonam Kapoor's [Images] chirpy Bittu, Masakali is unanimously charming and contagiously blithe. The real winner of this enterprise is, of course, a crisp-sounding Mohit Chauhan. Best known for his slow-motioned renditions like Khoon chala (Rang De Basanti [Images]), Tum [Images] se hi (Jab We Met [Images]) and Is this love? (Kismat Konnection), the Silk Route front man customizes this ravishing track with a touch of ada and frills of masti, once associated with the inimitable Mohammed Rafi.

While it's impossible to proceed into the album without putting Masakali on the 'Repeat' mode, the show must go on. And so it does through the Sufism-imbued notes of Arziyan. Its poignancy is echoed in the simplicity of its heartfelt cry, 'Maramat muqaddar ki kardo, Maula (Mend my fate, Almighty).' A song of this genre calls for flawless chemistry between its core voices, a requirement that is seamlessly exhibited in the range of Javed Ali and emotions of Kailash Kher [Images].

Spirituality is a frequent theme of the album. It makes its presence felt in the pious prayers of Aarti--Tumre bhavan mein as well as Amitabh Bachchan's [Images] commanding baritone in Noor, where he waxes eloquent about God's omnipresent ways.

A dash of nu metal, a few cubes of alternative rock and spray of rap/hip hop, Delhi 6 is a grungy cocktail of metal and attitude. The latter is thrown in truckloads via Blaaze, Benny, Viviane Pocha, Tanvi and Claire. Rahman understands genres skilfully and juggles them to perfection, unlike the wannabe eagerness of his colleagues to achieve the same. Almost high on the pandemonium, individuality, insolence and romance of India's capital city, Delhi 6 pays a funky tribute.

The recurrent rhythm and care-a-damn tone of Hey kaala Bandar spell boys-just-wanna-have-fun brand of camaraderie. There is a lot of erstwhile Rahman to be found in this medley of cheek and cheer, from Barso re (Guru), Shanno Shanno (Yuuvraaj) to Behka (Ghajini [Images]) and Paathshala [Images] (RDB).

Up next, the much-awaited Rahman-behind-microphone moment arrives. This time the maestro's surrealism is an upgraded reminder of Sting [Images] in the Eighties. Its fairy-tale-like sorcery with a hint of Arabic exotica lends Rehna tu an aura of precise enchantment and magical romance, wherein a smitten lover gushes in honour of his lady's cosmetic-free loveliness. Joshi's penmanship goes from strength to strength, besotted and inspired in turns.

The ingenious writer gets another opportunity to pour his crimson-hued similes some more in one of Delhi 6's best creations, Dil gira dafatan. The delicacy of Ash King's performance, supported by Chinmayee, resonates in the mellifluous imagery and exquisite minimalism of this glorious beauty. Spellbinding stuff from Rahman, this.

Lending a humorous, snazzy twist to Saraswati Chanra's Main toh bhool gayi babul ka ghar-line of sentiments enters the playful and catchy, Genda phool. Composer Rajat Dholakia and Rahman share the credit for this immensely entertaining shaadi ditty performed with delectable naughtiness by Rekha [Images] Bharadwaj (the husky voice behind Namak, Omkara [Images]) accompanied by Shraddha Pandit and Sujata Majumdar.

Rahman's mastery is at work as he treats the Indian classical form Gujri todi in a mesmerising fashion to helm the stirring bandish, Bhor bhaye. Sparkling in the impeccable traditions of Ustad Bade Ghulam [Images] Ali Khan's rousing rendition and a confident Shreya Ghosal, Bhor bhaye is a three-minutes-and-18-seconds long overwhelming experience.

There's enough inspiration to be found in Delhi's most celebrated pin code. And as he's done for so many other landscapes, localities and lanes in the past, Rahman pays Delhi 6 a whopper ode in this swashbuckler of a soundtrack. The musketeers will be envious.*

rediff

ajaybaskar
20th January 2009, 01:25 PM
[tscii:091f23978a]Delhi-6 Music Review

Delhi-6 - Mellifluous tunes unveiled
IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, January 20, 2009]
The year 2008 has been the most stupefying year for Rahman fans and you know why? 'Jodha Akbar', 'Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na', 'Yuvvraaj', 'Ghajini' and 'Slumdog Millionaire; Well, it's been a 'Rah-mania' with prodigious tunes of unique genres. Be it 'Tu Hi Meri Dost', 'Jai Ho', 'Pappu Can't Dance Saala' or 'Guzarish, everything has been soul-stirring strains from the Mozart of Chennai. Here come, the duo Rahman-Rakeysh Om Prakash who created wonders with their combination in 'Rang De Basanthi'.

Perhaps for 'Delhi-6', a couple of songs 'Masakali' and 'Maula' continuously aired round-the- clock shot our adrenalines looking out for other numbers. And here comes the most spectacular album and precisely, they are exceptional from Rahman's compositions during the previous year. Moreover, it is the never-heard-before tunes that'll get you transfixed. Indeed, Rahman offers 'Dus Dhamaka' with panache and every number is gonna top the charts.

Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein) - Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Gowariker, Shraddha Pandit, Sujata Majumdar

It's Prasoon's heart-warming lyrics that make the song exceptional in the album. Rahman is exceptional when it comes to blending melody with simple instrumentations. Yup! All throughout 180 seconds, we hear a single-noted Veena with simple beats on cymbals blended with a mesmerizing chorus humming. Perhaps, an ardent fan of Rahman should've heard of similar genres in his Tamil composition for 'Alaipaayudhe Kanna'…

Arziyan - Javed Ali, Kailash Kher

Sufism which is so close to Rahman's heart drives him tuning such melodies. Of course, it's so illustrious with his previous piece of music for 'Pia Haji Ali', 'Khwaja Mere Kwaja' in 'Jodhaa Akbar'. And again, here's one more on the same lines. A lengthy duration of 9 minutes has tabla and harmoniums accompanied by the glorious voice of Javed Ali and Kailash Kher. Prasoon Joshi gears up for yet another devotional song.

Both 'Aarti' and 'Arziyan' are devotional hymns of different religions and yet Rahman's composition gets the listeners mesmerized sans barriers.

Bhor Bhaye - Shreya Ghosal, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Gujri Todi
The music maestro weaves a spell of magic on 'Hindustani Ghazal' with the same instrumentations of tabla and harmonium used in previous the song. We have an evergreen legend Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan rendering in his voice. Shreya Ghosal adds colour, shifting octaves on her voice which flows in to the listener's ears and Gujri Todi makes it with finesse. Sounds like a live-recording and possibly Rahman should have done it because it adds a naturalistic touch.

Delhi – 6 - Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Vivinenne Pocha, Tanvi, Claire

Doubtlessly, heeding to the first three numbers of 'Carnatic', 'Sufi Qawwali' and 'Hindustani Raga', you should've made listeners perceive Delhi-6 to be an offbeat genre. If so, you're wrong… Here goes the precipitous shift to a different scenario. Of course, just imagine how a song sounds when there's Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Vivinenne, Tanvi and Claire are on the track. A stylish sleek rap savors to the tastes of young lads and missies. Simple-yet-catchy beats on synthesizers and lyrics penned by Vivinenne Pocha and Claire make it a lavish fiesta.

Dil Gira Dafatan - Ash King, Backing Chinmayee

A western style with Ash King's voice and good accompaniment by Chinmayee makes the song so special… Running notes on lead guitars with vibes on intervals is picked by an exceeding orchestration of stringed instruments. Preludes on violin blended with strings offers a feel of heeding to contemporary World Music.

Genda Phool - Rekha Bharadwaj, Shraddha Pandit and Sujata Majumdar

Need a best illustration for fantastic mix of West 'n' Folk? And you have it here with 'Genda Phool'. Rekha Bharadwaj's unique style of vocalism picks listeners' interest while chorus parts by Shraddha and Sujatha offers enhancement to the song. Nothing exceptional with the beats, for the synthesized ones on pads and bass guitars are repeated throughout.

Hey Kaala Bandhar - Karthik, Naresh, Srinivas, Bony Chakravarthy

Sounds alike one of Rahman's previous compositions of 'Shano Shano' from Yuvvrraj and precisely, the chorus part is a bit similar to 'Dil Ka Rishta' from the same album. Rap lines are again the same remix of 'Shano Shano'. We are not sure who Kaala Bandhar is, guess we have to wait for the promos to come out… The song may capture our senses once on the screen.

Masakali - Mohit Chouhan

Uh-huh! The song that has been raising our expectations with beautiful promos is finally out. Like 'Bheka' in 'Ghajini', Prasoon Joshi pens yet another song with lyrics that are filled with tongue twisters and Mohit Chouhan spells it on best terms. With Congo drums used on rhythms, 'a good experiment' by Rahman works best. Masakali is worthy getting ennobled as the 'Song of the Album'.

Rehna Tu - A. R. Rahman, Benny Dayal, Tanvi

Rahman rendering a song always turns to be a chart topper. Is it because he picks the best songs and sings or the song becomes special once with Rahman's voice? Yeah! It goes unanswerable at many times and 'Rehna Tu' isn't an exception. A wonderful orchestration of voices between Rahman, Benny Dayal and Tanvi gets you addicted to the song with simple beats. Don't miss the instrumental (Flute and strings) part at the penultimate part of the song; they're awesome.

Noor - Amitabh Bachchan

Possibly, maybe this voiceover is heard in the prologue part of film. Amitabh's catchy-voice uttering the poignant poem on 'Ishq' penned by Prasoon is easily grasping. On instruments, stringed chords following mildly with vibes are heard.

On the whole, A.R. Rahman offers an exquisite platter of tunes to his fans with his music in 'Delhi-6'. Well, assume it to be the maestro's special treat for the 'Golden Globe Achievement'. And again, Rahman starts off 2009 with fascinating musicals and doubtlessly, the songs are sure to be prized as best spells of this year.

Verdict: Best-cherishing tunes ever heard

Rating : ****1/2

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/musicreview/10778.html

[/tscii:091f23978a]

A.ANAND
20th January 2009, 02:40 PM
delli6-wonderfull album! :2thumbsup:

my favriot

dil gira dafatan

masakalli

rehna tu

genda phool

Guess_Me
20th January 2009, 05:00 PM
Good to see positive reviews everywhere. For me this is the best ARR album in the last 5 years so. Can't remember the last time when I became so excited listening to an ARR album :2thumbsup:

dinesh2002
20th January 2009, 06:33 PM
Good to see positive reviews everywhere. For me this is the best ARR album in the last 5 years so. Can't remember the last time when I became so excited listening to an ARR album :2thumbsup:

did u listen to Connections album??? i think thats by far ARR's best work since the last 5 years... Mann Chandre, Kural [omg, u need to listen to this.... how i miss ARR in Tamil!!!] and those flute tracks.... Hats off !!! hope to see this album released in Cds soon... this is what we call a 10/10 work from ARR ...

Delhi 6 :roll: its good, but not my cup of tea i must say. for me something is lacking in the tracks. I dunno what... seriously i was really let down when i listen to the tracks [numerously], and Connection album came to the rescue... This is what we call an ARR work...... :clap:

Guess_Me
20th January 2009, 07:57 PM
Delhi 6 :roll: its good, but not my cup of tea i must say. for me something is lacking in the tracks. I dunno what... seriously i was really let down when i listen to the tracks [numerously]
I felt that let down when I listened to Ghajini. For me it is one of ARR's worsts in 2008. Songs like Latoo, Aye Bachu etc..didn't carry the ARR signature. And Behka was a really weird song. At some parts it was good but for most it wasn't. I enjoy singing and I always like to sing along when I listen to ARR's songs. But the moment Karthik goes out of tune in Behka, you feel like what the hell just happened. And Guzarish had a great opening but from then on it has a simple and loopy structure. Benny spoiled Kaise Mujhe which would otherwise have been a consolation track for me.

Delhi 6 on the other hand is fantastic. And I am happy to see even critics agreeing with me on that.

SoftSword
20th January 2009, 08:08 PM

did u listen to Connections album??? i think thats by far ARR's best work since the last 5 years... Mann Chandre, Kural [omg, u need to listen to this.... how i miss ARR in Tamil!!!] and those flute tracks.... Hats off !!! hope to see this album released in Cds soon... this is what we call a 10/10 work from ARR ...

Delhi 6 :roll: its good, but not my cup of tea i must say. for me something is lacking in the tracks. I dunno what... seriously i was really let down when i listen to the tracks [numerously], and Connection album came to the rescue... This is what we call an ARR work...... :clap:

machi...
even i was very disappointed for the first few days while listening to the songs... was wondering if our fellow ARR fans actually go overboard while hyping this album as soon as it was released...

but later i realized... and for now... i would even rate it even higher than JA...
in every track, there is some new sound/instrument been used... and i bet u would not hear a melody slower than the ones which are tried here...

and u know something... i am more than sure for u would come back in a few days jumping abt this albums greatness... :)

SoftSword
20th January 2009, 08:08 PM
BTW... is there a place in this earth from where i can download the tracks for connections...?

dinesh2002
20th January 2009, 08:35 PM
Ohhh.... i thought i was the last to download and listen to the songs... here is the site to download the songs :

http://desiramp.com/download/2008/conne.html

SoftSword
20th January 2009, 08:36 PM
Ohhh.... i thought i was the last to download and listen to the songs... here is the site to download the songs :

"neeee nallaaaa irukkanum!!"

thineshan54321
20th January 2009, 08:43 PM

i noticed it 2, a very Chinese feel to the beginning Dil Gira Dafatan...
am i correct?

hehe

yes thats a chinese trill and also in the first interlude, u can hear a chinese instrument playing a chinese scale based tune.

dinesh2002
20th January 2009, 08:49 PM
Delhi 6 :roll: its good, but not my cup of tea i must say. for me something is lacking in the tracks. I dunno what... seriously i was really let down when i listen to the tracks [numerously]
I felt that let down when I listened to Ghajini. For me it is one of ARR's worsts in 2008. Songs like Latoo, Aye Bachu etc..didn't carry the ARR signature. And Behka was a really weird song. At some parts it was good but for most it wasn't. I enjoy singing and I always like to sing along when I listen to ARR's songs. But the moment Karthik goes out of tune in Behka, you feel like what the hell just happened. And Guzarish had a great opening but from then on it has a simple and loopy structure. Benny spoiled Kaise Mujhe which would otherwise have been a consolation track for me.

Delhi 6 on the other hand is fantastic. And I am happy to see even critics agreeing with me on that.

i have to agree with u that Ghajini is one of ARR's not so good album :D. I truly agree Benny spoilt that song. But i think Bekha is an amazing song... the other 2 fast numbers def doesnt have much ARR's stamp. Guess the whole album was AR Murugadoss request to compose an album which has north Indian flavor in and out. If u never told me Ghajini is by ARR, i would have passed it as a north indian MD product. Esp with Guzharish, Latoo and Aye bachhoo.

I do hope the songs r a big hit up in north.

Coming back to Delhi 6, yeah, 4 songs were good. but i dunno y it doesnt makes me to repetitively listen to that song, like any other ARR's songs made me to. its like i hear it once, i say nice, and listen to any older ARR's stuffs [i even listen to Ghajini songs allot though]. something that doesnt fulfill my needs i think. but ofcource i hope the audio will be a big hit. thats my sincere wishes and pryer for ARR. :) but its ok , im truly satisfied with the connection album.

Cant wait for COMK!!

music man
20th January 2009, 11:26 PM
Friends!!! My review on Delhi-6 in

http://musically-marx.blogspot.com

ajaybaskar
20th January 2009, 11:28 PM
Dinesh, Delhi 6 slowly grows on u.. I bet u'l love it in couple of days.. For me, its the best of ARR putting 2008,09 together...

Guess_Me
21st January 2009, 01:06 AM
[tscii:c95e60e071]Behindwood's Review (http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-music-reviews/review-1/delhi-6.html)

Rahman has done it yet again, a perfect soundtrack, which has something for everyone. This is not a musical - this is magical! Go and buy the original CD available on T-series, as this album is going to fly off the music counters in no time. All hail the director Rakesh Omprakash Mehra for selecting these masterpieces and compiling everything together. Even if Slumdog doesn’t get the final nod from the Oscars this year, we have a worthy album, which can bring us the next!![/tscii:c95e60e071]

Scale
21st January 2009, 01:45 AM

:ty: Marx! Keep up the good work. :notworthy:

thineshan54321
21st January 2009, 05:49 AM

hey marx where is the ghatam in masaakali?

music man
21st January 2009, 06:43 AM

Before the first accordion bit. Hear it from 0.11 to 0.16 sec. Thanks a lot for your patient reading. :ty:

music man
21st January 2009, 06:45 AM

Thanks boss :musicsmile:

thineshan54321
21st January 2009, 06:46 AM

Before the first accordion bit. Hear it from 0.11 to 0.16 sec. Thanks a lot for your patient reading. :ty:

o that. it said interlude there so i was looking for a ghatam there. yes the prelude ghatam has an amazing sound. sounds beautiful, way a ghatam is meant to sound. it sounds very modern (the rahman touch again). when u spend so much time on something, it will be taken note of. the least i can do was to read it.

villan007
21st January 2009, 08:30 AM

nandri machi

A.ANAND
21st January 2009, 08:37 AM
Dinesh, Delhi 6 slowly grows on u.. I bet u'l love it in couple of days.. For me, its the best of ARR putting 2008,09 together...

dinesh-ikku eppavum late-ta than pidikum :D
dinesh now is 'theater artist' :lol: athuvum english drama artist! :clap:

thamizhvaanan
21st January 2009, 08:54 AM

Even I noticed Ghatam in the beginning and it's usage gives some level of insight into how Rahman's mind works.

I dont think the sound is incorporated for experimentation, I don't think thalaivar consciously tries to experiment. The choice of sound comes naturally to him. Where we see something new and experimental, Rahman sees it as an obvious presence. As an afterthought, the Ghatam IS a very obvious choice to begin the song with. Just see how it mimics the bass pattern and the percussion that follows.

But the question is, how does it occur to him to make use of so and so instrument. That is because he doesn't have any fixed framework in mind while composing... its like painting on a vast plain sheet. Whereas other MD's, I feel are bound by standards, norms, the usual templates etc., It is like working on a ruled sheet with margins.. it might turn out to be a beautiful cursive writing but it can never be the vast imaginative piece of art that is Rahman's music. Everything he composes is so liquid, freeflowing in style, sometimes random. You see beat cycle and meter changing seamlessly, singleton tunes that comes only once in a song, melody shifts, humming, howling, train sounds and any other sound that will fit, even silence that lets you contemplate what went before, expect what is to come next and finally no need to mention the exotic instruments... It is just so uninhibited. And that is the genius of A R Rahman! :bow:

Ofcourse I can't describe his genius in one para, there are other aspects of his music that we can only enjoy but not divulge on, but I have already blabbered enough.

thineshan54321
21st January 2009, 09:45 AM

Even I noticed Ghatam in the beginning and it's usage gives some level of insight into how Rahman's mind works.

I dont think the sound is incorporated for experimentation, I don't think thalaivar consciously tries to experiment. The choice of sound comes naturally to him. Where we see something new and experimental, Rahman sees it as an obvious presence. As an afterthought, the Ghatam IS a very obvious choice to begin the song with. Just see how it mimics the bass pattern and the percussion that follows.

But the question is, how does it occur to him to make use of so and so instrument. That is because he doesn't have any fixed framework in mind while composing... its like painting on a vast plain sheet. Whereas other MD's, I feel are bound by standards, norms, the usual templates etc., It is like working on a ruled sheet with margins.. it might turn out to be a beautiful cursive writing but it can never be the vast imaginative piece of art that is Rahman's music. Everything he composes is so liquid, freeflowing in style, sometimes random. You see beat cycle and meter changing seamlessly, singleton tunes that comes only once in a song, melody shifts, humming, howling, train sounds and any other sound that will fit, even silence that lets you contemplate what went before, expect what is to come next and finally no need to mention the exotic instruments... It is just so uninhibited. And that is the genius of A R Rahman! :bow:

Ofcourse I can't describe his genius in one para, there are other aspects of his music that we can only enjoy but not divulge on, but I have already blabbered enough.

thamizhvannan, i must say, those are amazing observations. i forgot to even realize that it was a ghatam because it fit so well into the song that it did not stand out as ghatam but rather as a sound of the song.

lancelot
21st January 2009, 09:50 AM
whats a Ghatam? forgive the ignorance :)
hehe

ajaybaskar
21st January 2009, 09:51 AM
Only when heard in an IPOD/Walkman, some sounds are heard in lot of ARR songs.. Is that not a handicap?

ajaybaskar
21st January 2009, 09:52 AM
hehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghatam

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwufFba1l8

lancelot
21st January 2009, 09:58 AM
hehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghatam

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwufFba1l8

thanx
i just listened to the song again.. now i know wat ul are talking about :)
hehe

thamizhvaanan
21st January 2009, 09:59 AM
Only when heard in an IPOD/Walkman, some sounds are heard in lot of ARR songs.. Is that not a handicap?

No, even when heard in a crappy speaker, the songs are lovely. But when you have the kit at your disposal, you get something extra. It is a bonus :D

ajaybaskar
21st January 2009, 10:03 AM
TV, I did not mean the quality of the songs but the minute sounds which gets missed in desktop speakers..

lancelot
21st January 2009, 10:33 AM
TV, I did not mean the quality of the songs but the minute sounds which gets missed in desktop speakers..

i always find all sorts of different sounds hidden away deep in the songs of A R Rahman when i listen to them on my iPod. also the more you listen the more you find.

i dont believe justice is served by listening to the compositions on normal speakers. Even go my self a pair of bose headphones for this purpose

hehe

thamizhvaanan
21st January 2009, 10:36 AM

Yes, I understand what you mean. Neenga extra sounds ketkadhadhu oru disadvantage nu solreenga.. naan adhu sila equipment la ketkaradhu bonus nu solren.

We needn't worry a great deal about bonus when the basic package itself is an experience :D But yeah, as Lancey said, these deserve to be heard only on good equipments.

Scale
21st January 2009, 11:07 AM
Mazhai kotto kottunnu kottudhu.... :bluejump: :redjump: :ty: AR!

Do not hear in headphones or try to avoid as much as possible - Late Sridhar, Sound Engineer

EKSSI!

SoftSword
21st January 2009, 11:37 AM

Do not hear in headphones or try to avoid as much as possible - Late Sridhar, Sound Engineer

EKSSI!

purila :(

Anant
21st January 2009, 12:02 PM
Rehna Tu is amazing!

The notes 'ya khusboo se bhara' at 00:56 are slightly similar to 'nenjam ennum ooru' in aaru. It kept haunting me till i found the connection.

Now, I am not telling theres any lift-off or anything. just an observation.

I haven listened to 'Rehna tu', 'Masakalli' and 'Bhor Bhaye' till now....all three are awesome !

lancelot
21st January 2009, 12:03 PM

EKSSI!

purila :(

me 2 didnt understand
hehe

Anant
21st January 2009, 12:04 PM
Also, people can any1 tell me which ragam is that postlude in rehna tu, it has definitely a carnatic feel to it..

Scale
21st January 2009, 12:13 PM
There might be some technical defects which is potentially dangerous to ears. Though Its a routine practise of mindwork session to me pleasure listening to ARR's songs. "Contniuosly", "range of music", "while on movement" "volume and other special effects adjustments" are also other several harmful reasons which we do it unknowingly.

Univ. Audiologist finds ear-buds more harmful than headphones (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11258-Univ_-Audiologist-finds-ear-buds-more-harmful-than-headphones.html)

Earbuds pose several kinds of problems, according to Garstecki and other audiologists. First, the earbuds' close proximity to the eardrum, in combination with their ability to magnify the sound signal by as much as six to nine decibels, raises the intensity of the sound from one similar to the noise output of a vacuum cleaner to that of a motorcycle engine.

Try listening to hear a CD of TFM's non-sensical songs. The process of sound engineering, effects are the same but the feel,likeness may conceal it!

SoftSword
21st January 2009, 12:19 PM
we can understand its harmful...
but can u live without taking this drug which u r already addicted to...?

Scale
21st January 2009, 12:27 PM
But We have to! Followed by there are some interesting comments

Comment:

I recall similar warnings in the sixties ,seventies, eighties, nineties and now again in the new century! Oh well, such is life!, looks like it is time to dust off the shoulder mounted boom box, and go retro!

They are just going to have to invent the artificial eardrum to replace everyone's eardrums in a few years.

:lol:

Ramakrishna
21st January 2009, 01:01 PM
Maula Maula - kailash kher's voice is :notworthy:

Especially when he sings Ek Kushboo aathi thi :musicsmile:

music man
21st January 2009, 02:35 PM
But We have to! Followed by there are some interesting comments

Comment:

I recall similar warnings in the sixties ,seventies, eighties, nineties and now again in the new century! Oh well, such is life!, looks like it is time to dust off the shoulder mounted boom box, and go retro!

They are just going to have to invent the artificial eardrum to replace everyone's eardrums in a few years.

:lol:
Scale!!!!!!Thanks a lot for reading my blog. I will consider your suggestion regarding the rating system.

Meanwhile your blog is also too good with lots of info. I would love to see ur thoughts about Delhi-6.....

music man
21st January 2009, 02:38 PM

o that. it said interlude there so i was looking for a ghatam there. yes the prelude ghatam has an amazing sound. sounds beautiful, way a ghatam is meant to sound. it sounds very modern (the rahman touch again). when u spend so much time on something, it will be taken note of. the least i can do was to read it.

Ya...It was a typing mistake. I corrected....Thanks

A.ANAND
21st January 2009, 02:54 PM
dil gira dafatan-why no anyone discuss about this song!i'm love this song!esp.the prelude :omg: :omg: :omg: haunting! :musicsmile:

Scale
21st January 2009, 02:58 PM
Sure musicman. I will....

The topic is

How ARR escapes denigration?

Because its unfair. By & Large its Unfair. Will be continued......

anand,

check previous pages & review by musicman. Fantabulous score! Backing vocals by Chinmayee at an unimaginable right note is breath taking!

dinesh2002
21st January 2009, 03:59 PM

:? no Anand, i agree i appreciated Yuvvraaj songs late, but dun think its the same case here, but nevertheless i like the 4 songs [Masakali, Hey Kaala Bandhar, Delhi 6 and Bhor Bhaye].

Anand, yen inge vilambaram padhetheringe.... :P ... ingge yaarum ennai pudikathe :lol: no use u tell :lol2:

Guess_Me
21st January 2009, 04:53 PM
Got Delhi 6 CD today :2thumbsup:

It came by courier from T-Series office in Delhi. While collecting the pack itself from the courier guy, I felt it was heavier and thicker than a normal Audio CD set. I opened the pack and the reason was soon evident to me.

The front cover of the audio CD actually has a piece of a solid mirror. Not silver sticker or mirror like reflecting shading paper used on car windows. An actual piece of mirror. That's why the it weighed so much. Here is a photo. You can see the reflection of my mobile on the cover.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3503/delhi6fg1.jpg

A.ANAND
22nd January 2009, 06:26 AM

:? no Anand, i agree i appreciated Yuvvraaj songs late, but dun think its the same case here, but nevertheless i like the 4 songs [Masakali, Hey Kaala Bandhar, Delhi 6 and Bhor Bhaye].

Anand, yen inge vilambaram padhetheringe.... :P ... ingge yaarum ennai pudikathe :lol: no use u tell :lol2:

enna venumunna sollunga!unna pidikathavannga yaaru irukka! :lol:

thineshan54321
22nd January 2009, 09:47 AM

enna venumunna sollunga!unna pidikathavannga yaaru irukka! :lol:

ada paavi dinesh!! u left out dafatan? and rena tu? i am upset!!! :evil: pls dont dismiss these beautiful songs. pls machi.

thamizhvaanan
22nd January 2009, 10:15 AM

Music man, really nice review. :thumbsup:

I was really surprised to see you mentioning Carpenters for Rehna Tu. Even I thought so, the song is laid back and relaxed... and beautiful rendition by Thalaivar. I think it wouldn't have sounded even half as good with any other singer.

music man
22nd January 2009, 01:03 PM

Music man, really nice review. :thumbsup:

I was really surprised to see you mentioning Carpenters for Rehna Tu. Even I thought so, the song is laid back and relaxed... and beautiful rendition by Thalaivar. I think it wouldn't have sounded even half as good with any other singer.

Thanks!!! Ya....This song was more in "The Carpenters" style. May be due to the subdued calm but very effective singing by the genius. This song also showcases how Rahman the singer has developed all this years from a person who switched off the lights, locked his room and recorded his "Yelelo" bit in Roja...Now he carries each and every song to new heights with ease and precision.

lancelot
22nd January 2009, 01:36 PM
a person who switched off the lights, locked his room and recorded his "Yelelo" bit in Roja

i didnt know that :)
hehe

SoftSword
22nd January 2009, 01:41 PM
a person who switched off the lights, locked his room and recorded his "Yelelo" bit in Roja

hehe

this was todl in an interview by maniratnam...

lancelot
22nd January 2009, 02:19 PM

hehe

hmmm... and look at him now ha? what an awesome singer and such a divine voice... :)
hehe

SoftSword
22nd January 2009, 02:37 PM
even his first yelelo bit was a soul stirring one... it was so peaceful, pure and complete...

lancelot
22nd January 2009, 02:50 PM
even his first yelelo bit was a soul stirring one... it was so peaceful, pure and complete...

agreed!
hehe

Music4Ever
23rd January 2009, 07:52 PM
Rehna Tu is mindblowing. Masakali rocks. Kaala bandar is awesome. Can't stop listening to these three numbers. Nice to see that Karthik is getting good numbers in the last few movies (Behka in Ghajini and Kaala bandar now). Delhi-6 and Genda phool are great too. The others are just not typical Rahman. I am happy with Delhi-6.

sat_srini
24th January 2009, 09:15 AM
Rehna Tu promo -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62R9TA5OjFs

Jyothsna
27th January 2009, 09:31 AM
Jus love to hear Masakali :musicsmile: Madak madak madak nu solra idam....pch..class :notworthy:

Yathu
27th January 2009, 01:30 PM
Jus love to hear Masakali :musicsmile: Madak madak madak nu solra idam....pch..class :notworthy: . . .and the #brrr, brrr# #man mani man mani man mani# bits! :wink:

MusicIsLife
27th January 2009, 06:58 PM

hehe

hmmm... and look at him now ha? what an awesome singer and such a divine voice... :)
hehe

Precisely, i commented some years (during Bombay and especially with Rangeela times) back in TFMPAGE that ARR had the great tonal quality difference and the range to sing awesome songs . Some MD dont need to sing, but i want some to the prominent two i hold dearest is 1. ARR 2. Shankar Mahadevan.

I liked IR's voice in some of the gr8 songs he had sung, but overstretching to every song was just not digestable.. (though being a big time IR follower)

ajaybaskar
30th January 2009, 11:25 PM
Genda Phool promo

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=U-2wCCkWhhk

Scale
31st January 2009, 12:27 PM
He is the best at composing everything! (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m011809041235)

:thumbsup:

two 10/10 & 9.5 rating at Planet Bollywood.

ajaybaskar
31st January 2009, 06:01 PM
Mehra on D6 audio sales

.....I am proud and glad to share that the songs of D6 are already a rage and T-series, our publishers, flooded with repeat orders from their distributors the very next day from when it was launched in the
market.

http://delhi6blog.com/

ajaybaskar
31st January 2009, 06:07 PM
Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra is back to recreate celluloid magic with his �Delhi-6�, an enterprise said to be close to his heart. We caught up with the director at his Bandra office for a casual chitchat and found out the inside story behind the making of the film and a lot�s more.

Here are the excerpts:

So what�s been your easiest film so far?

It would be Rang De Basanti since the film came instinctively to me.

How different was the experience of making Delhi 6 from RDB?

Well, I have matured as a director with Delhi 6. I was very nervous before starting Delhi-6 as it�s a much more difficult subject than RDB. In fact once I thought of stalling the idea. It was a film that was with me even before I had conceived RDB. I had even narrated the script to Abhishek Bachchan. But as luck would have it I went ahead with RDB and then contemplated to make Paanch Kaurav. I felt I wasn�t mature enough to make a film like Delhi 6. But RDB helped me get over my apprehensions and indulge in Delhi 6.

After dabbling with serious and mature stuff with RDB and Delhi 6, do you intend to dabble with comedy sometime?

Delhi 6 is a black comedy. But I haven�t overdone the comedy here. Next I intend to make an out and out romantic film and Delhi 6 definitely gave me the confidence to try it.

Your Masakali track is gradually picking up with the music buffs. Is it true that you had no idea where to include this song earlier?

No, the song was forever a part of the screenplay. This is a song reflecting the spirit of a small-town girl, a character played by Sonam Kapoor in then film. She wants freedom, to get out from old Delhi. She wants to break free for reasons better known to her. The dove we see in the film reflects this idea of liberty.

What�s the role of the dove in the film?

Its importance in the film is purely symbolic. A dove symbolizes peace which is the very essence of Delhi 6. In this time of chaos and war, the dove stands out as a harbinger of love and peace.

We also hear that there is a goat in this film?

Yes. The name of the goat is Heena bhabhi!

The music of Delhi 6 is fast becoming favorite with everybody. How much do you count on the music when it comes to the success of a film?

I�m glad that it�s doing well. All the nine songs in this film have a special significance. The track �Maula Maula� had been with Rahman since the last nine years. After hearing the script, he gave out this number that had been dear to him. In the song �Bhor Bhaye�, we have actually used the original recording of Bade Ghulam Ali Khan and Shreya has rendered the latest version and we brought both recording, recorded in separate time. �Tumre Bhavan Mein� is an aarti song, something which my father used to sing every morning. We didn�t redo the song. In stead I took my sound engineers and recorded the song live in a temple where this song is still sung.

What�s Delhi 6 all about?

Delhi 6 begins with Abhishek fulfilling his ailing grandma�s (Waheeda Rehman) last wish to get her back to her ancestral home where she wants to breathe her last. But no sooner he enters the city, he falls in love with it. It�s the way he starts feeling for the place that makes him stay back. It�s like discovering the people of India, not the Karva Chauth, Diwali style, but dealing with the journey of the people of India.

What made you decide on Sonam Kapoor for the role?

It has to be my experience as a filmmaker and my eye for casting. You see, I tested many girls for this role but met with disappointment. At one point I considered casting a new face for the film. But then the commercial viability of the film became a concern. When someone suggested Sonam Kapoor to me, I almost yelled at him. But then when I narrated her the script, I was pleased with her reaction to the story. That fetched her the role.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/movie_name/10512/3/director/31/

jaiganes
1st February 2009, 09:32 AM
http://delhi6blog.com/

enjoy

ajaybaskar
1st February 2009, 09:37 AM
D6 has additional music composed by Rajat Dholakia for Ramlila , which is written and sung by the immensely talented Raghuvir Yadav. Rajat and Raghu bhai also bring back the folk melodies Genda Phool and the Aarti.

Wasnt Genda Phool and Aarti composed by ARR?

Yathu
1st February 2009, 05:18 PM
Delihi 6 title song promo:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2MMmRctKCKA

natha1729
2nd February 2009, 01:04 AM
Delhi 6 is superb, may be brilliant

it has got every world music sound including hindustani. it is NEW AGE and can be called NEW "NEW AGE." It is that new and fresh. though you see some rock some inspiration here and there (a olivia newton hit song, harmonica sounds of star jones song stranger in the door, some french tunes, some i think pink floyd or led zep piece, BUT Rahman is taking music to the 13th dimension :---) It is very very refined in an Indianis way still, new sensations, new feelings, soft and deliberate, and quite mature. Definitely a "WORLD album and will have the globe clamoring for more. World is watching us now, so this type of "refinement" is inevitable.

only one thing is missing - a real Indian film song! I think that is OLD AGE now.

dinesh2002
2nd February 2009, 01:15 AM
D6 has additional music composed by Rajat Dholakia for Ramlila , which is written and sung by the immensely talented Raghuvir Yadav. Rajat and Raghu bhai also bring back the folk melodies Genda Phool and the Aarti.

Wasnt Genda Phool and Aarti composed by ARR?

Aarti was def an old composition isnt it? Coz its a religios prayer song...

Genda Phool is something like what ARR did to "Alaipayuthey Kanna" composition.

Dragun
2nd February 2009, 03:02 AM
My copy of this CD did not come with a booklet with photos or credits. Are all copies like this?

Guess_Me
2nd February 2009, 10:00 AM
My copy of this CD did not come with a booklet with photos or credits. Are all copies like this?
It appears there was some issue with packing. I ordered from tseries site and got the full package. But some people who picked up from stores got the version you are having. How did you get it anyway?

music man
2nd February 2009, 01:10 PM
DRAGUN!!!My CD had booklet and total credits with nice "HEAVY" packaging... Check with ur dealer....

Dragun
2nd February 2009, 08:44 PM
I got mine in a store in the US. The packaging has a mirror on the cover and looks nice, but no credits or anything. And why isn't Ember credited on Hey Kaala Bandar?

littlemaster1982
2nd February 2009, 08:47 PM
I got mine in a store in the US. The packaging has a mirror on the cover and looks nice, but no credits or anything. And why isn't Ember credited on Hey Kaala Bandar?

Mine is same too. Isn't there a booklet inside front cover? It has the complete credits. But Ember is not credited for Hey Kaala Bandar.

thamizhvaanan
3rd February 2009, 11:41 AM
only one thing is missing - a real Indian film song! I think that is OLD AGE now. :shock: Are you sure you are listening to the right album?

A wonderful review by Qalandar:

Music Review: DELHI-6 (Hindi; 2009) (http://qalandari.blogspot.com/2009/01/music-review-delhi-6-hindi-2009.html)

Perhaps it is only appropriate that I begin my review of an album that seems to channel just about every significant Hindi musical genre from the film industry's (now mostly dead) past, with the track featuring the central figure in Hindi filmdom: Noor is a fifty-second declamation by Amitabh Bachchan, preaching a neo-Sufi message of loving God by loving those around us. It would be a mistake to approach this track as simply an opportunity to listen to Bachchan's legendary voice in action; rather, the man is an actor, and this track only makes sense in the context of the role he is playing -- evidently that of a genial, old-world figure whose ideas seem at once high minded and noble, but perhaps also a tad quaint. Bachchan "acts" wonderfully here (aided by Prasoon Joshi's lyrics, of course), etching all this in under a minute in a manner worthy of a radio play. But the very existence of this track itself took me down memory lane -- back to a time when film soundtracks often featured dialogs from the film as well (and certainly, the likes of Sanjeev Kumar, Pran, and of course Bachchan, had voices crying out to be heard). Joshi isn't kidding when he has a lyric in one of this album's other tracks say "ye sheher nahin mehfil hai" -- for Mehra, and thus Rahman and Joshi, seems to be paying tribute not just to a place, but to a state of mind, perhaps even a way of being.

Aarti (Tumre Bhavan Mein) is a reminder, if any were needed, that Rahman is perhaps the last composer in the Hindi film industry who produces anything like a devotional song. Hindi cinema's rather rich tradition of qawwalis and filmi bhajans has dwindled almost to one, which makes one treasure every such offering from Rahman like a jewel (it certainly is far rarer than the bling bling that dominates so many Hindi film music videos these days). And this Aarti is indeed gem-like in its perfection, its ability to invoke beauty with great economy, and its delicate size (at just about three minutes). Yet, like the equally perfect Alai Payuthey from the film of the same name, its pleasures are not cold ones: the quavering, neo-Carnatic-style vocals Rahman has Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Gowariker, Shraddha Pandit, and Sujata Majumdar employ here, combined with the sharp throb they manage to compress into the word "ambAA", ensures that this track tugs at the heartsrings. Indeed, the contrast between the intimacy of the vocals and the traditional-yet-impersonal instrumental backdrop, illustrates the loneliness of the endeavor: organized religion might not be understandable except as a communitarian program; but devotion is a solitary enterprise. It is clearly this solitude, and its fragility, that interests Rahman in this delicate, oddly forlorn song. In an era when perhaps nothing is so endangered by the re-casting of religion as a political project above all else, as the space of a personal religiosity that seeks the freedom to duck the political projects of the day, perhaps the song's sad tone isn't odd at all. But Rahman's own attachment to the quiet devotional song, and his many contributions to that tradition, are also grounds for optimism. The tradition won't die out if Rahman can help it, and "little" numbers like the Aarti here might yet prove indestructible: the maestro may cast himself in the role of supplicant in these songs, but one would do well to remember that Lord Shiva too wandered in rags.

Bhor Bhaye is another sensational bit of traditional wizardry, but as unlike the Aarti as any two tracks could be: this semi-classical number appears to sample the voice of the late Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan with the very contemporary Shreya Goshal. My amateur ear was blown away by Goshal serving as a foil to the legend of Hindustani classical music; coming just a few months after her wanton turn in Ghajini's Lattoo, this track confirms that Goshal possesses versatility and range her contemporaries do not. And her voice appears to be getting better with age, every year losing more of the generic sweetness that marred her early work. The master of ceremonies is of course Rahman, who manages to pay tribute to both the "classical" as well as the "popular" traditions by deftly integrating Goshal's efforts into this dense pattern of tabla and other traditional instruments, and the Ustad's voice. This synthesis is key to any appreciation of even Rahman's "traditional" music -- he has always been a renewer, not a disciple; promiscuous, not monkish in his musical proclivities.

Genda Phool is the third stop in Rahman's tour of traditional musical forms that seem to be dying out in Hindi film music: if the two songs above represented Carnatic and Hindustani classical idioms, respectively, Genda Phool (credited to both Rahman and Rajat Dholakia) is squarely in the tradition of North Indian folk/wedding songs. This isn't a first for Rahman, who seemed to hew quite closely to the traditional paradigm in Banno Rani (1947: Earth); but scratch the surface and it is Genda Phool that perhaps more authentically represents the tradition, largely by way of Rekha Bharadwaj's singular voice, which could manage to suffuse both sex and sorrow into an advertising jingle (to be fair, Banno Rani didn't need to do much more than juxtapose the incongruity of the lyrics with the horrible child-old man marriage that occasioned the song). Combined with the simulated horns and street calls that punctuate this song, it seems Mehra doesn't have an idyllic wedding celebration in mind, but one in which the world has already intruded. This shouldn't surprise us, given the amount of world-weariness, perhaps even cynicism, the traditional wedding ditty has long managed to pack in -- the epic inter-family struggles and romantic trials and tribulations these songs testify to are a world removed from the greeting card romances much of Bollywood has, for some years now, insisted on peddling as the summa of Indian "family" traditions. Rahman can do both puerile and adult with great gusto, but no-one selects Rekha Bharadwaj for anything infantile; one can only hope for more extended collaborations between the two (at under three minutes, this one simply whets the appetite).

The qawwali is one of the few traditional forms that is doing quite well for itself in these times, partly due to Rahman's own interventions, and partly because the rhythms and energy of certain qawwali traditions are easily transposed in bastardized form into more contemporary film music forms. But the specific kind of qawwali Arziyan pays homage to -- more reflective, and specific to the Gangetic plain (as opposed to, for instance Punjab; recognizing that these are both rather sweeping generalizations that conceal a variety of differences) -- has never found much of a following in Hindi cinema, except through the rather diluted medium of (admittedly splendid) songs like Na To Karavaan Ki Talaash Hai/Ye Ishq Ishq (Barsaat Ki Raat). And as with Bhor Bhaye, Rahman wishes to keep both poles in mind: this Janus-like approach is reflected in Arziyan by the use of both Jawaid Ali and Kailash Kher, with the former (wittingly or unwittingly) paying tribute to the sublime Rafi, and Kher's muscular voice reminding us why he might just be the most soulful singer in Hindi today. Over the last year or so, Rahman's qawwali-style numbers have taken a turn for the quieter and more mellow, and Arziyan is certainly in the tradition of Marhaba Ya Mustafa (Ar-Risalah) and Khwaja Mere Khwaja (Jodha-Akbar). Where it is richer than either of those is in its length (over eight-and-a-half minutes), which enables the singers to "take time" to get through to the listener, relatively unconstrained by a four or five minute straitjacket; and in the fact that it goes through several tunes, akin to a "true" qawwali, including an unusual (albeit disappointing) rendition of "Mora Piya Ghar Aaya" (disappointing because Rahman seems to have drained all the intensity and passion from this masterpiece, leaving mere catchiness). But no such charge can be laid against the central "Maula Mere Maula" motif, quietly urgent and straining to get at the Lord. Arziyan is unlikely to be my favorite track from this album -- it lacks the intricacy and freshness of this album's other offerings; as well as the wounding sentiment of Marhaba Ya Mustafa -- but it might be the most complete musical experience this album offers: it does so many things, and in a gentle manner that envelops the listener (as opposed to bludgeoning him into submission), that one feels a sense of loss when the song is done: the silence is deafening.

When Ash King began crooning "Dil Mera... Dil Mera", my heart sank at the rather pedestrian beginning to Dil Gira Daffatan, a song I had heard was one of the album's highlights. I needn't have worried: at around the forty-second mark Rahman jettisons the generic lovelorn song in favor of some glittering stringed arrangements; when Ash King's vocals return, it is with a stunning love song that is lean, yet not so much minimal as imbued with the sort of precision we heard in Ye Haseen Vaadiyan (Roja). In both songs Rahman allows the words the freedom to be surrounded by an instant of silence that is just a shade longer than expected -- the effect is that of notes hanging on the winter air, their meaning amplified. While not as laser-like as the masterfully orchestrated Tu Bin Bataaye (Rang De Basanti), the pleasures of Dil Gira Daffatan are less abstract, more accessible: the former impresses you with its balance and its unsettling mood; the song from Roja has no equal for evoking the wide mountain spaces the song's lyrics evoke; but this is a song that embraces one, melting fiddler strains, romantic lyrics, and a chorus tune that is simply ravishing (all the more so when King's "Dil...gira kaheen, daffatan" is accompanied by Chinmayee's "Kyun goonj rahee hai dhadkan?"). The tempo of the vocals is slower than the background music, heightening the auditory effect of an intricate structure that might well be on the verge of collapse: the slowness marked by the genteel vocals does not seem sustainable in the long run, not in the face of the velocity of the passion invoked here.

If Delhi-6 is going to have a signature tune, it is bound to be Mohit Chauhan's drunken, wandering Masakalli, bringing a much needed whiff of the street to this album, and (if the film's previews are anything to go by) charmingly choreographed by Vaibhavi Merchant. The song begins with an unmistakable "NRI hero" signature, Rahmanized: Yashraj-style "Hey hey" vocals that quickly give way to a simple harmonica strain that catches you and won't let go, not least because it is tantalizingly brief. Soon Chauhan unleashes his ode to a pigeon. The whole concoction sits lightly on the listener, without ever being trivial (the robust "udiyo, na dariyo / kar manmaani manmaani manmaani" refrain is too strident to be dismissed lightly; one would do well to remember that pigeons were traditionally serious business, as both aristocratic sport and gambling opportunities, and the kabootar-baaz respected for his skill); rather, if Delhi-6 were a meal, this surely would be the souffle at the end. It is early days yet for this album, but on the strength of the day or two I have spent living with it, Masakalli is a charmer, and I suspect its attractions will stand the test of time.

Hey Kaala Bandar is quite obviously the weak link in this album -- so obvious, in fact, that it merits some closer attention. Beginning with its lyrics, which aren't the upbeat banality of something like Paathshaala (Rang de Basanti); instead, by making light of the "Monkey Man" hysteria that swept Delhi some years, the song appears to be mocking both our propensity for hysteria ("It wasn't me, I swear / Everyone's looking for the monkey out there"), as well as our complicity ("hamaam mein hum saaray nangay"). Slowly, the song's refrain ("Hey kaala kaala kaala bandar / Baahar hai ya andar") begins to make sense: the dreaded monkey isn't out there but in here. And he evidently has his uses, enabling both greater outlays on security, and the creation of a common purpose for the community. Ultimately, the song's lyrics take on a chilling tone, invoking our political, blood-stained traumas ("Aao hum sheesha dekhen / Us mein sandesha dekhen / Apna ghaayal hissa dekhen / Apna asli qissa dekhen"), and the contrast between these lyrics and the song's cheerful, almost inane, tempo, is unsettling. This is manifestly a "situational" song, and it is difficult to "read" outside of the context of the film. While hardly a musical tour de force, the mournful strains interrupting the seeming revelry, and Prasoon Joshi's satirical lyrics, mark it out as the conscience of the album, a reminder, perhaps, that the Delhi Mehra seeks to invoke in his film is not simply an exercise in nostalgia; not something that is dying so much as being killed.

Rehna Tu is the sort of jazzy song that at first blush sounds like it should have been the centerpiece of Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na (perhaps even in place of the title song of that album), but just when you begin to think that Rahman has deprived Abbas Tyrewala's directorial debut of the pick of the maestro's recent jazzy numbers, you feel Rahman's vocals prick at you, especially when he croons "thoda resham, tu humdum/ thoda sa khurdura / kabhi to adhja, ya ladhja ...", and straight away you know nothing so poignant, so evocative of loss, could have been appropriate for a film about happily resolved puppy love. In Delhi-6 this belongs, and its combination of seamlessness -- Rahman's vocals have perhaps never been smoother, and seem of the music, not an accompaniment to it -- and limpid sorrow, maddens me at points, bringing to mind every lost love, almost a re-enactment of every loss. As with more than one Rahman-Mehra collaboration, Rehna Tu is not musically groundbreaking: Rakeysh Mehra prefers a music of tone and nuance, and like Rang de Basanti's Tu Bin Bataaye, this too is a masterpiece of tone and mood. The song knows it too, and ends by abandoning all vocals in a mellow instrumental finale that wends well over a minute, a movement that would -- with a shift in mood -- not be out of place in Talvin Singh's Ha (specifically, in the sublime It's Not Over). That extended conclusion enables -- even forces -- the listener to contemplate the song that has preceded it; the conclusion is not so much music as afterglow. By the time the album gives way to the next song, we get it: Rehna Tu pricks because its mellow music knows that the lyrics, about one's beloved always remaining the same, are not so much a lie as a tragic impossibility. Only the loss of what is, slipping away even as one contemplates it, confers meaning. Contemplation of the beloved is simply remembrance.

I'm not sure which of the three female vocalists credited for Ye Delhi Hai Mere Yaar is responsible for the refrain that wafts across as if from a radio (think of that other Delhi Rahman song crackling over the airwaves, Ae Ajnabee from Dil Se), or even a dream, but my money is on Tanvi: "Ye Dilli Hai Mere Yaar," the voice not so much singing as insinuating into your ear, as if to say you're better off asleep, your memories those of the body, a sense of smell, a gesture, an angle, but no less ephemeral for all that: she will be there when you wake up, but receding. Yet wake up you must, because the one who tantalizes you is, in this song, a lover, and also a city. Rahman is in tune with that dissonance -- between the intimate reverie you want to return to, and the public clamor of the city you cannot forget and can never return to simply by travelling there -- and rudely jolts us with Benny Dayal's and Blaaze's neo-rap that is at once irritating and necessary for the song to achieve the desired effect. Rarely have I encountered a song that is so brief (barely over three and a half minutes) and that seems to traverse such a distance, from the bedroom's rumpled sheets to Connaught Place (and a detour by way of the French lyrics of Rahman's last Tamil album, Sakkarakatti). Or perhaps no distance at all: it ends as it began, with the faint mockery of "ye Delhi hai mere yaar" hanging in the air, "bas ishq, muhabbat, pyar." "Bas": you want to go back to sleep now, not to escape, but to try and return.