22nd December 2006, 08:15 PM
HI All

Does any body have any idea how does the genius
compose his song.

really would like to know his style

he is god

Hulkster
22nd December 2006, 08:46 PM
If i am not wrong...rahman decides the tune first and sends to the lyricists to write the lyrics for the song...after deciding on the lyrics and confirming them he then decides upon the singer and the way to be sung.

After all is done then the sounds,orchestration and instrumentation are added...thats y the song sounds in harmony everytime. :P

Dragun
23rd December 2006, 12:21 AM
He will even continue working on the song after he's submitted it to the director for shooting. If you have seen the initial video of Kaatril Oor Vaarthai from Godfather you'll notice it does not have a lot of the instrumentations that are on the audio CD version.

DirtyHarry83
23rd December 2006, 12:58 AM
[tscii:5505bff0f6]i think itīs the other way around...first the lyricists write lines which suite to the situation the director describes them. after that they contact the music director and he set tunes suitable to the lyrics.

thatīs the usual way a song is developed. maybe rahman prefers the other way. [/tscii:5505bff0f6]

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 01:45 AM
i will let all of u no soon :wink: :D :roll:

bingleguy
23rd December 2006, 01:58 AM
does he write notes for his songs ???? :roll:

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 02:11 AM
i think so :roll:

bingleguy
23rd December 2006, 02:22 AM
i think so :roll:
am not sure .... i ve not seen him in his performances with notes .... :roll: i may be wrong too ! somebody who knows .... can u please share !

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 03:51 AM
ARR may also not b making his own notes :roll:
give me a few years time BG ll surely 100% give u da details :D

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 06:59 AM
Btw u guys can read naresh iyer's interview with chinmayi i think...reported in hindu newspaper where naresh discussed rahman's composing style..i took my sources from there.

Dragun about the working part..i think maniratnam has told us about that when they asked him for comments about rahman's working style...:D

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 07:01 AM
:ty: for dat info hulk anna :D

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 08:17 AM
nice topic

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 08:22 AM

idhukku dhaan romba advice panna koodathu-nnu naanum selva-vum adichikittom....... :rotfl:

topic - yes, ARR has a pretty unique style of composing......this is wat shuld be happening (IMO): some one needs to clarify - excellent topic Spooky :D :

1. Director tells the situation
2. ARR calls upon discussion betn lyricist/director/himself.....decide whether tune first or lyrics first
3. Once lyrics part is over, gives some sample tunes for director to choose from......director-ukku oru cut....
4. Makes lyricist write for his tunes or the tune itself is composed over lyrics......lyricist cut
5. Singers sing their part with their own improvisation .....singers cut
6. instrumentalists - they and ARR sit and keep on adding layers....then they also cut.....this includes his assistants too...
7. Director comes back - ARR shows to him the o/p......if it is a shankar/mani/BR/Subash ghai then they will ask for some bits to be added/reduced.......and finally they go home thinking this is the song..... :lol:
8. ARR sits and adds more layers/ fill-in sounds, sound treatment......addnl programming.....

SONG IS READY......... 8-)

ARR's is on the most comprehensive method of composing.......he centralizes and decentralizes things like a Management Guru...... 8-)

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 08:24 AM
I think the confusion of whether he writes down notes is because in his earlier stages...when he was still in his prime he depended on the computer/keyboard alot but after he proved that he was good in WCM and other genres as well..he started writing down notes....does someone have a copy of his musical notes...would be nice to use for remixing :noteeth:

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 08:27 AM
Maddy...wibha is really my thangachi pa :D

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 08:28 AM
does someone have a copy of his musical notes...would be nice to use for remixing :noteeth:

ARR paata remix pannaradhu kashtam.appadi pannineal na yenkittendhu :hammer: dan vangipeal :yes: :evil:

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 08:31 AM

idhukku dhaan romba advice panna koodathu-nnu naanum selva-vum adichikittom....... :rotfl:

:notthatway: All r everyone's brothers and sisters :D :yes:

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 08:43 AM
:notthatway: All r everyone's brothers and sisters :D :yes:

partly true.......all r my brothers/machaans......but no sisters (only my real sister, thats it) :lol:

hulk, meiyalumma :shock: :?

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 08:48 AM
blood sister ellei pa...but chellama appadi thaan koopiduvom :exactly:

BTW does anybody have the notes for ARR's pudhiya mugam songs...at times i cant believe they were all done in keyboard :shock:

Wibha
23rd December 2006, 08:51 AM
BTW does anybody have the notes for ARR's pudhiya mugam songs...at times i cant believe they were all done in keyboard :shock:

adan ARR :yes: :yes: "EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED"

spookyoo8in
23rd December 2006, 12:06 PM

Thank you guys i think everybody is enjoying the topic its been yrs just fig out the yway he works and studying him as even i my self compose so he is my god father like

"eklavya and Drona" i keep studying his work thru his releases. :D

topic - yes, ARR has a pretty unique style of composing......this is wat shuld be happening (IMO): some one needs to clarify - excellent topic Spooky :D :

1. Director tells the situation
2. ARR calls upon discussion betn lyricist/director/himself.....decide whether tune first or lyrics first
3. Once lyrics part is over, gives some sample tunes for director to choose from......director-ukku oru cut....
4. Makes lyricist write for his tunes or the tune itself is composed over lyrics......lyricist cut
5. Singers sing their part with their own improvisation .....singers cut
6. instrumentalists - they and ARR sit and keep on adding layers....then they also cut.....this includes his assistants too...
7. Director comes back - ARR shows to him the o/p......if it is a shankar/mani/BR/Subash ghai then they will ask for some bits to be added/reduced.......and finally they go home thinking this is the song..... :lol:
8. ARR sits and adds more layers/ fill-in sounds, sound treatment......addnl programming.....

SONG IS READY......... 8-)

ARR's is on the most comprehensive method of composing.......he centralizes and decentralizes things like a Management Guru...... 8-)

thamizhvaanan
23rd December 2006, 08:05 PM
It is not that ARR always comes up with tunes first... most of his best songs have been with lyrics first... for eg... kannuku mai azhagu.

many of his songs with MR are also lyrics first. take for instance snehithaney... if you look at the lyrics, no one will beleive that it is a song. It has such a broken lines, variable length stanzas... looked very much like a random prose on the note, except for the beautiful theme running thro the poem. it was a pudhukavidhai from vairamuthu. it is impossible, atleast for us mortals, to conceive a tune for that song. how well the master acheived that!!!

And one day i was going thro a poetry anthology of vairamuthu... published in the 80's. I found the evano oruvan song there. the filmy version has very few stanzas, but the actual poem is quite long. again u see that ARR worked with "lyrics first"

vairamuthu also once said that he wrote the lyrics of ennuyire song first and ARR composed the tune for that in 2hrs.

kamalsurya
26th December 2006, 09:51 AM
Watch the Airtel advertisment from rahaman I think it was a few yers back.U might get some ides how he composes his music.I think that was one of the best ever ad I have ever seen 8-)

vimalpercy
31st December 2006, 01:54 AM
I think most of the people know that he do the song composing during night time.

I saw one interview of AR where he said that the Word "Take IT Easy" was behind the song Oorvasi. So atleast we can say that if not all, some of the songs should be composed based on the lyrics which the lyrict provide.
Most of the AR Song's Interludes and Fill in Parts between Saranam and Pallavi were indication of his vast skills in creating soothing melody. So it indicates that creating a melody for a lyrics is not at all a problem for AR, where for some others whose Melody Bank is so limited may ask lyricts to create lyrics for the melody.

When you try to play songs of AR in Keyboard you will find that so many changes of even saranam , where it will be of one form when starting and it will be bit different after first pallavi and different when it plays last. Eg Snehidhane.
Which all shows his vast Melody Bank in his brain and great creativity of music.