PDA

View Full Version : Healthy recipes for children

Srividhya Mahesh
31st October 2004, 08:15 AM
Healthy recipes for children

In today’s fast world, everyone has taken to eating fast foods and readily available ones. Even the children are not spared. All cartoon channels display ads of junk food like chips, kurkuree, cheese balls, aerated drinks and what not. And surprisingly most mothers are not aware of the ill-effects of these junk foods and buy it for their children without giving a thought. Junk foods apart from containing saturated fat , also contains high sodium levels which are harmful for children. These children may get High blood pressure when they reach their twenties! It’s high time mothers start realizing and switch on to healthy alternatives which are nutritive too.

This thread is started mainly for healthy recipes that are also tasty and will be liked by children. I am presenting two recipes for the benefit of forum hubbers. I shall be sending more recipes from time to time. I also invite other forum hubbers to present healthy recipes in this thread.

Urad(Ullunthu) laddu

The method of preparation is similar to rava laddu
Ingredients
Whole urad dal (black) – ½ cup
Whole urad dal(white) – ½ cup
Jaggery – 1 cup
Ghee

Dry roast black and white whole urad dal and powder it in mixie. Take 1 cup of powdered jaggery, pour little water and keep it in a kadai in stove, once jaggery dissolves filter it and keep it again in stove for ½ a minute. Pour this jaggery water over the urad dal powder. Make it into small lemon-sized balls after pouring 4 tbsp of ghee.
This is a very healthy recipe as urad dal contains protein and jaggery contains iron.
Alternatively, this can be done with sugar as we do it for rava laddu.

Sweet corn chaat

Ingredients
Boiled sweet corn (or baby corn) – 1 cup
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Carrot - 1
Cucumber, raw mango – 2 tbsp each
Boiled potato – 1
Green chilli – 1
Chaat masala – ½ tsp
Salt
Coriander leaves - optional
Sev (omappodi) – optional

Chop onion, tomato, green chilli into very small pieces. Grate cucumber, raw mango, carrot.Mash potato. In a big bowl, put boiled sweet corn, mashed potato, chopped onion and tomato, grated cucumber, raw mango and carrot. Add salt, green chilli, chaat masala and mix it well . Garnish with coriander leaves and sev.
You can also pour sweet chutney over it if you like it sweet.
Sweet chutney:
Take a tiny ball(size of amla/nellikkai) of tamaring, add one date(peyricchampazham), a pinch of jaggery and grind it in a mixer. Pour water to this and boil it for two minutes. Turn off the stove and add jeera powder. This mixture can be stored in fridge for 15 days.
:D

dev
22nd November 2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Srividhya,

Gud tht u started up healthy recipes string...ur recipes sounds gud...will try it out & let u know...I will also post some healthy recipes when i find time...I just want to give a few vital info to stay healthy...
1.The recommended quantity of oil for a normal person for a day is just 15 ml...i e 3 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon...

2.Sodium will not allow the absorption of calcium to the fullest extent...So it's better to add a moderate amount of salt...The American Heart Association recommends that for every 1,000 calories consumed, the sodium intake should be 1,000 mg and should not exceed 3,000 mg per day. The average sodium intake in the US is between 4,000 and 5,000 mg per day. One teaspoon(5 ml) of table salt contains 2,300 mg of sodium

visit http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/1938.html for more info...

Remember guys,if U eat healthy,U can prevent many diseases & enjoy life for years...But if U consume all those junk fud for fun,it means that U'll be enjoying life for a few years & then suffer for the rest of Ur life...It's up to u to select ur life style...& i believe most diseases that r considered hereditry is not actually hereditry...It's the cooking/eating style that is hereditry & that's how the diseases become hereditry...:)

dev
3rd December 2004, 07:06 PM
Hmmm...looks like not many here r health conscious...:)

tomato
4th March 2005, 10:04 AM
One healthy snack for children is 'panchaambruth'

1 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp ghee
1 banana ( cut into small pieces)

Mix all the above in a bowl and serve.

As told by my Yoga teacher 'Paanchaambruth' , if given immediately after lunch, help to increase weight in children.
It tastes delicious too and can be given as a quick snack as well.

VK Narayanan
7th January 2006, 10:55 AM
Idlees form a very popular and familiar breakfast food in India. It is a very bland and easily digested food, because it is steamed and no ghee, oil, or spices are used in making it.

Have you ever made chocolate idlees at home? This is one of the most favorite breakfast variations? We all love this and makes it once in a while at home. Hope you would also like this. Here is the recipe details for chocolate idlee/idli - http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2006/01/chocolate-idlee_06.html.

VK Narayanan
17th January 2006, 12:42 AM
My kids love this; what do you think about this most simple and traditional Maseel - http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2006/01/maseel-aka-creamed-greens-sauce.htmlCheers!