PDA

View Full Version : Does IR specialize in Folk Music?

unhappyboy
27th March 2007, 12:25 AM
Though I am MM fan, I do like IR, but I was wondering why most of his songs have a bit of folk influence. There are lots of songs where you invariably find some folk music, it sorta spoils the whole thing. Why does he always bring in folk music? I've particularly heard many 'aathadi, ammaadi' types from IR, why does this great maestro do that, is it to appeal to masses? You don't find these in MM or ARR.

ananth222
27th March 2007, 12:56 AM
I've particularly heard many 'aathadi, ammaadi' types from IR, why does this great maestro do that, is it to appeal to masses?

If you think "aathaadi ammaadi" is "folkish", and too "crass" or "spoilt", your musical inclination renders you incapable of understanding any discourse on Ilaiyaraaja's music. So there is no point in finding an answer for your "question".

app_engine
27th March 2007, 02:17 AM
unhappyboy,
Suggest please listen to the following songs - that do not have much "folk" influence at all...and in fact, more polished than many compositions of today:

-engengO sellum en eNNangaL (pattakkaththi bhairavan)

-en vAnilE orE veNNilA / oru iniya manadhu isaiyai amaiththuchchellum (Johny)

-uravenum pudhiya vAnil / paruvamE pudhiya pAdal pAdu (nenjaththaikkiLLAdhE)

-oru nAL unnOdu oru nAL (uRavAdum nenjam)

-vAnengum thanga viN meenkaL / poongAtRu pudhidhAnadhu (moondRAm piRai)

-en iniya pon nilAvE / paruva kAlangaLin kanavu (moodupani)

-endRendRum AnandhamE (kadal meengaL)

-iLamai idhO idhO (sakalakalA vallavan)

-most songs of Anjali / agni nakshathram / mouna rAgam

-iLaya nilA (payanaNgaL mudivadhillai)

... if I continue listing, it may become more than the total #of songs your fav composer has done so far:-) Let me stop at these few samples...If you want more, search any website that has a vast listing of Raja songs / BGM (like rakkamma.com etc.) and you can find many to your taste.

BTW, don't miss to listen to the song called as the perfect 10 by some renowned musician -'kodiyilE malligappoo maNakkudhE mAnE' (kadalOrakkavidhagaL - IMHO, this a non-folk song for a 100% folkish film / situation)

app_engine
27th March 2007, 02:22 AM
There are lots of songs where you invariably find some folk music, it sorta spoils the whole thing. Why does he always bring in folk music? I've particularly heard many 'aathadi, ammaadi' types from IR, why does this great maestro do that, is it to appeal to masses?

Why don't you make a list of these...and let us analyze whether the specific folk part in that song is appropriate or not...

Hulkster
27th March 2007, 07:01 AM
Guys relax..:D

Unhappyboy....IR's folk compositions are true folk..they reflect on the village life and its flavour alot..while the koothu songs you hear nowadays are not really folk...a distant cousin of folk made purely just for people to turn up and dance rather than have the village feel..its different...listen to karagattakaran and you will realise the folk songs there can greatly slash the so called folk songs churned out by the current MDs :D

unhappyboy
27th March 2007, 11:41 AM
... if I continue listing, it may become more than the total #of songs your fav composer has done so far:-)

You mean more than 2000 films???? :shock: I'd like to see that!

Sanjeevi
27th March 2007, 11:46 AM
Though I am MM fan, I do like IR....

BTW who is MM? :wink: Maragatha Mani?

app_engine
27th March 2007, 07:44 PM
unhappyboy,

Come on, we've been talking about songs and you started this account of 2000 films? Which composer on earth has done 2000 films BTW? NONE!

If you tell me who is this MM (I know who ARR is BTW) and list all the songs he/she has ever composed, then I'm game for listing IR's non-folk songs to match the count! Ready?

Kupps
28th March 2007, 03:20 PM
app_engine,

even if u come to know who MM is (i doubt it to be any predecessor greats of IR like MSV) can u list non-folkish IR songs? :)

btw im curious to know whether there is anything bad to give folkish song?

a semangudi says IR's "krithis" are great lighter forms of carnatic without any wrongs done to classicalism of it; WC pundits have acknowledged IR's prowess in WC-ism; IR's disco (pop during his prime time) products are well acknowledged; many folk artists acknowledge IR's folk authenticity. wondering why he is time-and-again seen only as folk music director (that too in a look-down fashion).