PDA

View Full Version : COPYING - IN TAMIL FILM HISTORY

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Oldposts
26th December 2004, 09:00 AM
Topic started by s.senthilkumar (opalcute@yahoo.com) (@ 203.197.154.163) on Mon Jan 24 07:23:36 EST 2000.

i think "copying" is there for a long time in tamil film history.Here we discuss the tamil songs copied from others.

Oldposts
Old responses (http://tfmpage.com/forum/18569.17550.07.23.36.html)

Oldposts
Haripotten,

example of Gold Members are to be found above my post...

u must keep on doing that every now and then ...ok...

Oldposts
The song Adiye Adiye from Vivaramana Aalu is a copy of 'Piya Piya' from Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega'

Oldposts
**'The song Adiye Adiye from Vivaramana Aalu is a copy of 'Piya Piya' from Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega'**

vivaramaana Aalu's MD is Deva. That sums up everything. Anymore questions? :-)

Oldposts
Even alagesan by satyaraj??its by Deva right?it has 4 student's Undan Vilumidhan koluthedi Bale Bale...right?

Oldposts
Arr surley Will Win 2004 National Award For Swades.
wait and see Rhythm!=loop and Vazhipokkan
then saaniyai monchil thadavingal.

Oldposts
virus, unga home remedies ellam propogate pannadheenga, we are happy with allopathy.

Oldposts
I was at a skating rink in S. Jersey yesterday and they played the english version of Adi Paaru mangathaa song. I dont think anyone could brush the tamil song as it was inspired from the english original. The tamil song was absolutely copied line by line without anychange. I didnt note the particulars of the english song but someone like KarthikS could investigate.

Oldposts
K...
u don't know what song was that? Who was the singer/band? Which year it was released...
but u claim ARR copied line by line?

How's tat?

Oldposts
paran, skating rink-la paatu podum pothu, endha padam, endha year-nu sollikitta poduvaanga? adhaan investigate pannanum-nu soltaare

Oldposts
athu ok paa....i admit it..
but to give a statement like "The tamil song was absolutely copied line by line without anychange"
without knowing any of those details...are a bit bias isn't it...

Oldposts
I want to apologize for not producing the original yet. The song is in my mind but the lyrics brain stammered. One more week no more excuse. Thanks for your understanding.

Oldposts
the english song could be from one of the versions of Bombay dreams, for all you know :-).
Check it out anyway

Oldposts
I was listening to 'nijama nijama'(Bose).Well i was wondering where i have heard the pallavi before and then remembered 'kismat se tum humko miley ho'(pukaar)

Oldposts
phew!
I'd been breakin my head for this! Was wondering where I'd heard it.. :)

Oldposts
Good find KP. I always thought YSR will be the next ARR for his versatality. But with such ballant lifts, I think he belongs to the Deva class.

Oldposts
What u guys are talking...

only ARR Copies everyone else ok....
and no one especially from IR family....will copy..that too from ARR!...u guy smust be crazy...

this might be the song where KR has worked with ARR long ago...and then ARR used it in his movie.....later on ...when YSR listened to the original tune from KR>..he decided to use it.....

YSR never copies anyone!....don't u dare to compare him to Deva!....
Deva copies 100% song from other...YSR only 50% at most (KK)...

inthe mathiri yellam inimel post pannuvange parunge...

Oldposts
"only ARR Copies everyone else ok.... "

anything new?

Oldposts
Yes Paran. I am also looking forward to the ARR Bashers Club members to start posting. It is real fun to watch these good-4-nothing fellows posting crap.

Oldposts
Ah yes. Ambleen has started the show.

Oldposts
Guess Me...
it's easier to Guess The ARR Bashers...

they simply never disappoint us at anytime...he he he he

Oldposts
Fanaa Fanaa

illey paran neenga Rahman fanaa?

Oldposts
Aaamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oldposts
mr.vazhipokkan...

its been more than 10 days since you said you are going to produce evidence of the copied song.

Well if you can;t find the song may i suggest you something..

Take a IRON ROD.....Make it really hot by showing it in fire

and

SHOVE IT UP!!!!!!

Oldposts
I dont think the skating rink would be a place where they would seek and play Bombay dreams. Anyway it didnt sound Indian at all. It was definitely a song made here. can someone like Karthik S investigate this?

Oldposts
Thanks for your very kind and decent words xxx. I am sorry I am not that kinky like you. I want to stay away from what u do dangerously everyday! :)
Better late than never. I am sure to come up with the original. Until then without any proof it favors ARR.

Oldposts
Ok, I dunno if this one has been discussed already but the other day I was going through some Nithin Sawhney when I came across a track that he had worked along with Sting called:
"A Thousand Years" (Nitin Sawhney Mix)
the song has avery uncanny resemblance to song from the movie King "Kadhalagi Kadhalagi"
I think the music for that film is by Dheena if I'm correct.

Oldposts
not sure which came first, the Nithin Sawhney version or Dheena, my assumption would be that Nithin/Sting would have led to the inspiration of Kadhalagi.

link to Kadhalaagi Kadhalaagi:
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000429.html (http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000429.html
)

A thousand years. (not sure if this is the Nithin Sawhney mix, if not I'll upload the version i have online)
http://www.mp3miracle.com/Sting/AThousandYearsRename

Oldposts
Dheena is another deva. He lifted "Zindagi Ek Safar Ek" song from one of the old RD Burman hit for Saturday Sunday song in King

Oldposts
Click on Zindagi Ek Safar Hai Suhana

http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000691.html (http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000691.html
)

Click on Saturday I for the lift

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000429.html

Oldposts
Good find Vazhipokkan.

Oldposts
the song pottu thaku from silambarasan starrer kuttu has a resembelance to avalikune alagiya mugam from server sundaram

Oldposts
DEVA is the king of copycats...hes so shamesless
1.dilbar dilse from caravan-azhagu in Baasha
2.Suzanna-oh sona in Vaalee
3.Jaana omeri jaan from Sanam Teri Kasam-gnaanam mr.gnaanam is Sindhu
4.Sochenge tumhe pyar from deewana-donno the movie name but stars Bhanupriya and a new face
5.Sayyonee-en anbe
i donno how many else i hate that m*****f**** who eats RD Burmans scat for living

Oldposts
'4.Sochenge tumhe pyar from deewana-donno the movie name but stars Bhanupriya and a new face '

Movie - Aaha
Song - 'Muthan Muthalil Paarthen...'

Oldposts
http://209.126.180.49/34385JFEWONVSAPEOGHLQswXSVMMZXPADRW/H/discodancer_koi.rm (http://209.126.180.49/34385JFEWONVSAPEOGHLQswXSVMMZXPADRW/H/discodancer_koi.rm
)

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~ii-600111/0012563_0102_00_0002.ra (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~ii-600111/0012563_0102_00_0002.ra
)

sources:
-------------------
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000608.html (http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000608.html
)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001FVL/qid=1099536266/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-8905580-8876605?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Oldposts
the song colleguku povom from silambarasan starrer koil also bears a resembelance to kamban engae ponnan from jathi mailli

Oldposts
Is the 7G rainbow colony song "Kann pesum vaarthaigal purivadhillai" inspired from a song in Jodi ("ennai kollai ittu pogira azhage vaa")?

There is a song sung by ARR in Swades. I think ARR cannot forget the old Tamil song "vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai". Listen to both. The Swades song has traces of the tamil number.

Oldposts
ya Music4ever,
me too i felt like that
r u 100 %
correcte

Oldposts
Rahman's "Enna vilai Azhahe?" from Kadhalar dhinam from a tamil old song "Thanga pathakkathin melai..." is another copy definitely.

Oldposts
Sara,from what movie is that song Thanga pathakkathin melai from?

Oldposts
music4eva,this song "vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai from what movie ?

Oldposts
Paava Mannippu...

Its like finding lemon taste in our Kichadi...Hey God...its not a lemon Achaar...its kichadi...so give credit to kichadi not lemon.

Purinjidhaaaa:(((((

Oldposts
nee mental mari pesure

Oldposts
Hey, What happened to raaga.com..For the past one week ( Dec 1st week) , we could nt get into the site, and now the site goes to someother page something like 'Russian Aids association'... What really happened to that ..any one knows?

Oldposts
Sara...

that was the result of poor domain management...
it seems the Russian Aids Association have booked that domain and waited for current domain registration of raaga.com expires...and those web master at raaga...didn't bother to pre-order the domain before it expires i think...ha ha ha...

Oldposts
DEVA IS INDIAS BIGGEST COPYCAT.HIS COPIES RANGE FROM R D BURMAN,BOB MARLEY,LAXMIKANT PYARELAL to JUNOON....NADEEM SHRAVAN AND ANU MALIK!!!!!
I HATE THAT F****IN A*****E.
HOW COME U TAMILIANS LET SUCH A PRICK LOOSE<u blessed="BLESSED" ear="EAR" for="FOR" good="GOOD" guys="GUYS" music.</p="MUSIC.</p" r="R" with="WITH">
</u>

Oldposts
Ahmed
I dont know where you are from - nots ure whether you are a follower of the Bombay Pirates,Andhra IR-Fan-MusicDirectors' mandali, or any other place.
But if it comes to talk about letting loose copy monsters, you would be throwing stones from glasshouses (considering you seem to think Nadeem Robber Khan and Anu thief Malik are on the other side of divide than Deva).
Go verify the credentials of these nincompoops.

As for Deva, he has been pilloried enough in TFM to have accumulated shame for seven generations unlike your bombay where pygmies like above-mentioned thieves are considered the composers of the century!

Oldposts
Another direct copy By Deva:

Starting violin piece from "Annamalai Annamalai.. aassai vechen ennamaley" song from Annamalai is a direct lift from Beethoven Symphony #5 (1st movement, listen from the 54th second of the piece)

Oldposts
kan pesum varthai purivathillai song from 7g rainbow colony also has another interesting source. Just hum " kuchi kuchi rakama ponnu venum" from bombay and see, and You will notice the similarity between the two songs

Oldposts
'Kan paesum varthaigal purivathillai' by YSR is copied frm "Enai kollai ittu pogum azhagae vaa" which was recycled by ARR from his old hit "Kuchi Kuchi Rakkamma ponnu vaenum" .....

hmmmm... this amateur Copycat YSR copying from the Professional Copycat ARR is no wonder but someone come up with the original Source of Inspiration :-)

Oldposts
Message from IR Yahoo Group (interesting and sounds true)
---------------------------
check for yourself
-----------------------
Hi,
Really so sorry to post abt IR copy songs . But my mind keep
killing me why IR did like this . This is true . Raja sir had copied
the song 'Riding along in my automobile' of Chuck Berry fully to the
song "attama pattam ... nadigan yenru mariyachu ..povdar ..." of flim
Nadigan (1980) . 'Riding along in my automobile' came in 1964 ...

U can listen to the music in the below link,
http://www.mamarocks.com/no_particular_place.htm (http://www.mamarocks.com/no_particular_place.htm
)

Like this some atleast 10 songs , I feel he has copied . why he is
doing like this ? Please someone clear my doubt . The other songs are

1.bam bam bam ... arambam...perinbam from...starting music ...
[michal madana kamaraj]
2.Kannavu kannum valkai yavum from some hindi song ...
3.Even sethu ....malaiyin vedanai ...starting music ...before song
lyrics come .... i heard the simillar music in V channel once ...

Please comment on this .

Oldposts
I was just wondering about YSR's interlude lift (Vayathuku vandhom) from MJ's they dunn care about us!
Like father, like son :)

Oldposts
kuchi kuchi raakamma ponnu venum
kaNN pesum vaarthaigal theriyaadha :-p

Oldposts
IR is a copycat too. Cant believe :)

Oldposts
Wow. IR has really did something here. Those who havent listened to the songs, here are they.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4981/ (http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4981/
)
There you will find the tamil song by IR

And for the english song, I finished uploading it just now. Click the link below to download (only 1.9MB)

http://up1.fastuploads.info/chuck_berry.mp3 (http://up1.fastuploads.info/chuck_berry.mp3
)

IR has done a good amount of work on the english song to make it tamil. Definitely not something you would expect from a person referred by his fans as "Maestro". Shame on you.

I have always wondered what made YSR lift some english songs as such to tamil (for example, 3 ballant lifts in Kadhal Kondein) that too at the early stages of his career. Looks like his father must be an inspiration for him.

Oldposts
Manmathan Songs an Back gruond musics are all copied from english movie like mission impossible, end of days etc.,

Oldposts
Not only from Mission Impossible,but also traces of the pop album "AQUA".

Oldposts

Oldposts
of all the mds, i have not seen anyone who copied more than arr. u guys call him a music director.

he is just a music assembler. perhaps he is following bharathy's words:
"sendriduveer ettu thikkum; kalai chelvangal yavum konarnthingu serpeer"

arrahman

Oldposts
SOME 1 is JELOUSE!!

Oldposts
dinesh,

mistyping "JELOUSE" and become something else..and BB might think that you are trying to bring obscenity into the forum?

Oldposts
It is not jealous dinesh, it is saddism. The pleasure earned by underplaying someone's acheivements.

Oldposts
soooo whaaaaat.......!!!!
<a name="last"></a>

MumbaiRamki
28th December 2004, 08:38 AM
also the song "enna Enna " from Bose -the caharanam resembles teh charanam of Its teh time to DIsco from KHNH

Surya
28th December 2004, 09:14 AM
Deva is the copying master in Tamil Film Industry!! :lol:

dinesh2002
29th December 2004, 08:58 PM
i still wonder,how did deva get away with Citizen's Hey i Love u...i mean..its a ditto copy....didint they sue him or something?

Janu
30th December 2004, 03:56 PM
Just a clarification here, Kan Pesum from 7G Rainbow Colony is not an exact copy of Enna kolai poga azhagai from Jodi is it? So u cant u cant say that YSR copied AR but that merely he was inspired by him. In the same way that HJ when he composed Pinju thendrale in Majunu was inspired by a certain AR song in Kadhal Desam (can't remember its name).

narcot
9th January 2005, 01:44 PM
Kisna's song : Jo he albela, nenoa(n) vaala.. the beginning is from
THALATTUM KAATREE VAAA - Poovellam ketuupaar (or is it pooveelam un vaasam )- ajith , jyothika, ajith sings the song while riding a jeep when jyo is in the train side-by-side a la mere sapni ki raani kab aayegi too kinda picturization.

ahmedrockinblues
11th January 2005, 12:40 AM
whats the point in talking about copying...the people who listen to the sick compositions from the likes of Deva are the one s to be blamed.Just imagine tamil film songs that are copies Nadeem Shravan and Anu Malik.I couldnt stop laughing watching Vijay singing Sayyonee with all the emotions and histrionics in tamil.the most notorious copycat anumaliks aila re mast mast also cropped while zapping channels.Bob marleys evergreen buffalo soldier didnt escape the rape from deva,man hes a genius,he should be skinned alive.How can u people just allow this kind of atrocities,thiss the land of legends like MSV and Ilayaraja....dont let this happen guys please,just stop listening to Deva braying(his voice is exactly that)

Ramki
27th January 2005, 06:02 AM
who is the MD for 'aayudham'? One of the song ( prashanth and sneha jumping around in England) is lifted from 'kudu kuduha kizhavanukku kalyaana pechu'(oomai vizhigaL)

NOV
27th January 2005, 07:25 AM
None other than manmatha rasa, Mr. Dhina. :D

Ramki
28th January 2005, 05:16 AM
NOV thanks..indha copy cats ellaam 'copy' club le meet panni endha pattai copy adikalamnnu kaapi kudichitte discuss pannuvanga pole

Saagar
30th January 2005, 05:20 PM
The song fromn Devathayai kandein "Azhage brahmanidam" is lifted from "Kadhaluli chenkadhali" (Old Malayalam-Salil Chaudhry) with minor changes to speed & orchestration as Deva usually does ... Chennai senthamizh (MahaGanapathi)

NOV
30th January 2005, 06:11 PM
Just heard a song from Thirupaachi. Reminded me instantly of Maappila vanthaar maappilai vanthaar maattu vandiyile. :D

muzammil84
7th February 2005, 04:48 AM
Want More Harris Jeyraj Copycut plz visit www.uyirvani.com/forum

ahmedrockinblues
9th February 2005, 01:04 AM
one of the tirupaachi songs(with rap interludes)is a straight lift from the recent vidyasagar hit "kasavinde pattutduthu" from malayalam movie kilichundan mambazham.Talking about copies of deva amd dina??? colossal waste of time.just boo at them

jaiganes
11th February 2005, 10:54 AM
yesterday, I was watching 'jukebox' program in ZMZ. They showed a song by an african american band. the tune was ditto 'Dho dho dhoda dhoda' from Harris Jayaraj's "Ullam Ketkume More". This movie is not released yet, but the song was popular in promos of the movie. I was quite hooked on to the song, until I heard this from ZMZ. one more to HJ's copy list. I am sorry that I couldn't note down the name of the band which played as i caught it by an accident as I was flipping through channels (as usual). Someone can do more research on this.

dinesh2002
11th February 2005, 12:58 PM
muzamil,nice effort,but please pa,those clips & list r direct copy from my website!!!

muzammil84
11th February 2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry Dinesh, i agred with u, but there is any problem i doing these clips?

dinesh2002
11th February 2005, 08:10 PM
no pa,no problem,continue...as long The Hj's Copying is spreaded! 8)

i know..im evil!!! :twisted: :evil:

mexicomeat
16th March 2005, 06:28 PM
i cant remember the song right now - a song in 'enga anna' (duet for prabhu deva & swarna "jayendra":D malya is a direct lift off from "yamunai aatrile eera kaatrile"

Thiru
10th July 2005, 10:27 PM
check out the elephunk theme song from BlackeyedPeas... Direct lift of a song from IR's Sri Raghavendra.. Should IR sue this band for using his song like bappi lahari?

http://www.danceage.com/media/276-Black-Eyed-Peas-Elephunk.php

dinesh2002
11th July 2005, 11:41 AM
Wyclef Jean used ARR's Kya Dakhe Rahen - Taal for his album Preacher's Son
song tittle :
Rebel Music

http://www.smokecds.com/mp3/129716.mp3

many might not recognize this song,its Kya Dakhe Rahen - Taal,anc additional track for the DVD video..also included in the audio CD but not in cassettes....

Music4Ever
12th July 2005, 09:50 PM
I believe the song "chella kiLiyO chella kiLiyO" in ChellamE is a mix of several known numbers. Any thoughts?

crvenky
13th July 2005, 01:03 PM
Raja kaiya vecha song is used for the latest 7up ad.

alias
14th July 2005, 03:28 AM
Cool dinesh.... Wow thats nice. Has he given credit to ARR?

vijayr
18th July 2005, 11:20 PM
Does BGM find a plce here? HJ's Samurai had the song from "Gladiator" as one of its main themes playing throughout the movie.

vijayr
18th July 2005, 11:22 PM
Srikanth Deva, one of the worst MDs of our times, has used "Maha ganapthim"'s opening lines in his "chennai senthamizh" song from M.Kumaran s/o Mahalakshmi. Like father, like son.

Querida
19th July 2005, 02:50 AM
I remember hearing a song with Ajith in it with the background music from the movie Mortal Kombat! It was Kiss Me Miss in Kaluri Vaasal...

Music4Ever
19th July 2005, 07:29 AM
Even the opening lines of Iyengaru veetu azhage is just Mahaganapathim.

In the Sugumari song there comes a veena bit which is from Sampurna Ramayanam, IIRC (Malayalil padum ragam edhu? and then the veena).

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 12:43 PM
Veda, Music director of Jaishankar days was an expert in copying Hindi songs to suit tamil . Most of his songs are clear and straight copying from Hindi hit songs.

Not to forget Shankar Ganesh , specialists in copying.

Originals are from MSV and IR . They are genius in their own right.

NagaS
19th July 2005, 02:42 PM
Srikanth Deva, one of the worst MDs of our times, has used "Maha ganapthim"'s opening lines in his "chennai senthamizh" song from M.Kumaran s/o Mahalakshmi. Like father, like son.

Not only the opening lines vijayr, The whole song is 100% ditto of the maha ganapathim !

NagaS

kj
19th July 2005, 04:54 PM
http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/b/blackeyedpeas-elephunk.shtml

dinesh2002
19th July 2005, 05:11 PM
Cool dinesh.... Wow thats nice. Has he given credit to ARR?

sadly no :P

dinesh2002
19th July 2005, 05:37 PM
here are complete lifts from Hj in Anniyan ( From ARR )
I have recorded only the copied bits so its easy to listen,here!!

1.Kumari ( 1) En Uyri Tozhiyea (1)
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176425/En_Uyir1.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176448/kumari_1.mp3.html
-Style!! how the piano & the female voice introduction

2.Kumari ( 2) En Uyir Tozhiyea (2)
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176476/En_Uyir2.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176505/kumari_2.mp3.html
- how the male singer sings the line & female voice enters with using same word for Guys ( Kumara & Un Uyir Tozhiyea)

3.Kumari (3) Baba Kichu Kichu
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176352/Baba_Kumari.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176398/Kumari_baba.mp3.html
- Do i need to say more,listen to ur self!

4.Randaka Gopala
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176538/Gopala.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176519/Randaka.mp3.html
- Starting beat,i think the tempo is diff!!

5.Kadhal Yaanai Sa Re Ga Me
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176547/sare_game.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176560/kadhal_yanai.mp3.html
-Same style ( is it coz of genre? )

6.Iyengaaru Narumugaye
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176584/Narumugaye.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176573/Iyengaaru.mp3.html
-Pure class copy!! only tempo is diff.... ( is this veenai in any original carnatic music ?? if it is,please accept my appology)

7.Discovered by Aravind :
Iyengaaru Sneghidene
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176884/Snegithane.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176849/aiyangaru.mp3.html
-Hmmm....eventhough 9 secs,lift is still a lift!

saradhaa_sn
19th July 2005, 07:25 PM
Not only Vedha, Shanker Ganesh, Deva.... many music dorectors copying from Hindi tunes or from old tunes.....
S.A.Rajkumar will compose 10 songs with one tune.

In previous days we can easily find out what are all copied tunes, because there will be verieties of tunes. But now..?????

See, what is the different in tunes for the following songs:

Appadi podu...podu...podu...
Dhimsukattai...ai...ai..dhimsukattai....
Aalthotta boopathy naanada....
Machaan peru madurey......
Nee endha ooru naan endha ooru.....

all are 'xerox' of one tune.

Recently in "Raaga Maaliga" programme (in Jaya TV) SPB came as judge. One male singer sung Ilaiyaraja's "Pazhamuthir chollai unakkagathaan" (varusham 16). Suddenly SPB pointed out that, this song is from R.D.Burman's Hindi tune, and SPB sung the Hindi song also.

vijayr
19th July 2005, 07:36 PM
IR has plenty of inspired songs from old HFM MDs. saradha, do you remember atleast a couple of the words of the RDB song which SPB mentioned?

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 07:57 PM
IR has plenty of inspired songs from old HFM MDs. saradha, do you remember atleast a couple of the words of the RDB song which SPB mentioned?

Hello,

Pls pls for heaven's sake do not drag IR here. IR is God's gift to Tamil music and nobody can reach his levels .

Lets not drag IR here and also MSV . They are genius in their way.

Their contribution to Tamil music cannot be measured.

hehehewalrus
19th July 2005, 08:23 PM
When making allegations, please substantiate with the song names so that we can verify.
By the by, RD Burman was named Chor D Burman in Usenet RMIM newsgroups for his countless lifts :lol: :lol:

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 08:36 PM
When making allegations, please substantiate with the song names so that we can verify.
By the by, RD Burman was named Chor D Burman in Usenet RMIM newsgroups for his countless lifts :lol: :lol:

I hasten to add that there was one song which is quite similar to

Oru vaanavil polay ( kaatrinilay varum geetham ) of IR

and Kabi kabi mere dhil may ( Kabi kabi )

I am not sure but it resembles.

I am a diehard fan of IR but I am compelled to mentioned this as I personally felt that the songs are similar.

njv
19th July 2005, 09:06 PM
7.Discovered by Aravind :
Iyengaaru Sneghidene
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176884/Snegithane.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/3176849/aiyangaru.mp3.html
-Hmmm....eventhough 9 secs,lift is still a lift!
Sneghidene itself is inspired (not lifted) from "Neramidhu Neramidhu Nenjil oru paatezhuthu"

vijayr
19th July 2005, 09:10 PM
S. Balaji, every MD has been listed in this thread. IR and MSV are no exceptions. Lets not get biased.

BTW, snehidhane and neramidhu have absolutely nothing in common.

Jacky
19th July 2005, 09:50 PM
IR's 100 Varusham - Panakkaran was inspired from Mere angne mein - Lawaris.

kingvj
20th July 2005, 04:09 AM
The 'Azhagaey Brammanidam' song from 'Devadhayai Kandaen' by our "Kollywood Xerox Inc" CEO, Deva, is a rehash of his another song from 'Sound Party' featuring Satyaraj and (late) Pratyusha.

The song is "kaalayil pennae nee..." and was played endlessly throughout the day daily at Thiruvanmiyur bus terminus. ( Man, the guys at the terminus have just 2 cassettes and they play them repeatedly throughout the day... the songs, the ADs everything follow a sequence which you get used to... but thats another story). I happen to note that song while waiting for the bus.

One thing we should appreciate (or skin him, whatever) is, he never tires to use the same song's tune till it becomes noticeable.

Another example is, the 'Pulveli pulveli' song from 'Aasai'. Its a rehash of a song (i dont remember the lyric, though) from an obscure movie 'Ilavarasi' (in which Anju of 'Keladi Kanmani' fame acted as heroine).

The opening scene in 'Saami' which has Saami fighting with the Inspector has the BGM straight lifted from BBC World Service News music. God bless BBC.

Our own KTV theme (or logo or whatever) music is lifted (a noteable bit) from Star Wars theme music. God bless Star Wars.

Cheers,
Vj.

saradhaa_sn
20th July 2005, 10:51 AM
Regarding MSV, I want to point to one thing:

He composed for many Tamil Films which were remade from Hindi. The original Hindi tunes would be very popular in Tamil Nadu. But he never touches that Hindi tunes and he made in hin own (original) way.

Some of the films are:

1) Aaradhana....... (Sivakamiyin Selvan)
2) Chacha Joota....(Ninaiththathai Mudippavan)
3) Yadhon Ki Baarath... (Naalai Namadhey)
4) Bhramhachari... (Enga Mama)
5) Mamtha... (Kaaviya Thalaivi)
6) Kilona... (Engirundho Vandhaal)
7) Johny Mera Naan... (Raja)
8) Dhushman.... (Needhi) ... and somany films.

But MSV never used the original Hindi tunes, but he made his own original tunes only.

But you see in 'Vidudhlai' film MD Chandrabose used 'Laila..o.lalila' (Qurbani) tune.

KVM also used 'Caravan' tune in 'Anaadhai Anandhan' (kannadi munnadi thalladi thallaadi vandaaga aadattumaa). He also used Aradhana tune 'kunku naa rahe' in his film Arunodhayam as 'Enga veettu thanga theril endha naalum thiru vizhaa'.

The old MD Vedha (Modern Theatres) openly tell that he is copying Hindi tunes only. But when he composed music for AVM's "Adhey Kangal", AVM Chettiar told him that he should not touch any Hindi tunes for even a single song. So, he compossed all tunes in original in "Adhey Kangal" (the super thriller and suspense film and a milestone for Ravichandran).

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 10:56 AM
Kunguma pottin magalam - From Kudiiruntha koil was inspired from a Hindi movie I dont remember ( tu jena prema etc etc ) but fine tuned by MSV

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 11:36 AM
Shankar Ganesh , in the movie Vellikizamai viradham and Aatukkara alamelu , very cooly copied the guitar tune - DADAN DAN , DADAN DAN !!! from Bobby

The greatness of Shankar Ganesh is they will be the first to take advantage of hits.

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 11:38 AM
ALso, maygamay maygamay ( vani jayaram ) in palai vana cholai, another take from Shankar Ganesh from Hindi

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 12:43 PM
ALso orya jeevan onray ullam ( Neeya ) is taken from Nageena - Hindi movie.

Again our friends Shankar Ganesh only !!!

saradhaa_sn
20th July 2005, 04:42 PM
Hello Balaji...

Reagarding Vedha and Shanker Ganesh, we no need to mention each and every song they copied from Hindi. It is well known. Even Deva also (he will copy from Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam and old Tamil tunes and devotional songs also).

For example: "Padhinettu vayasu Ila mottu manasu...yengudhu paai poda" (film: sooriyan) was stolen from a devotional hit of Soolamangalam Rajalaxmi.

Rajan Nagendra's "Veettukku veedu vaasappadi" (film: V.V.Vaasapadi) was stolen from M.S.V.'s "Meenaattam kann konda meenaatchi" (film: Pillaiyo Pillai)

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 05:09 PM
Hello Sharadha,

Yesterday's Veda is today's Deva !!! Just jumble Veda and you will get Deva !!!
That is the truth and Deva can never be original

Oru penn puraa ( Annamalai ) is a download from Jeeyay tu jeeyay ( from Saajan )

saradhaa_sn
21st July 2005, 10:57 AM
Ok, I accept IR and MSV are having their originality (very rare inspiration of other tunes).

When Veda, Deva, Shanker-Ganesh copying from other Tamil songs and HIndi songs, so we can easily find out and identify them.

But what about the present MDs.??. Are they fully original..??. As per my view all present songs are in same pattern (especially Vijay's group songs).

Can abybody guarentee that 'Yuvan Shanker Raja's tunes are fully (or mostly) original...?????. No picking from English albums..??. Comparing to YSR, Vidhyasagar is somewhat original.

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 11:57 AM
There is a difference between outright copying and taking inspiration out of a song and adding value.

I think Sankar Ganesh, Deva , Veda will come under Outright copying and rest under latter.

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 12:06 PM
There is a saying

Form is temporary , class is permanent - In cricket

For Greats like MSV and IR- Class is permanent

For others - also ran

NagaS
21st July 2005, 02:28 PM
Comparing to YSR, Vidhyasagar is somewhat original.

VS is good, but not as good as you project him to be - For me he is just a modern IR - not in terms of quality, but his tunes are very IRish and sometimes go as near as 'copy', but he presents them in latest style and thats his success formula - I can never listen to a song and say "this is VS's song", then where is the question of originality ?

Ofcourse, he has given some great numbers like aalanguyil in parthiban kanavu, poo vaasam from anbe sivam etc., But when it comes to class, he is as good as any other MD today, not in IR / ARR class !

NagaS

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 02:52 PM
Comparing to YSR, Vidhyasagar is somewhat original.

VS is good, but not as good as you project him to be - For me he is just a modern IR - not in terms of quality, but his tunes are very IRish and sometimes go as near as 'copy', but he presents them in latest style and thats his success formula - I can never listen to a song and say "this is VS's song", then where is the question of originality ?

Ofcourse, he has given some great numbers like aalanguyil in parthiban kanavu, poo vaasam from anbe sivam etc., But when it comes to class, he is as good as any other MD today, not in IR / ARR class !

rarely we hear melodies today. Really concerning . AR to be blamed for this changed scenario .

One has to search for melodies.Really sad.

NagaS

saradhaa_sn
22nd July 2005, 10:58 AM
Barathwaj made two songs with same one tune:

1) Niyabagam varuthey...nyabagam varuthey... (Autograph)

2) Avaravar Vaazhkaiyil aayiram aayiram maatrangal... (Paandavar Boomi)

By the way, the song "Sollaayo solaikili"..(i dont know the MD) is the pure 'xerox' copy of Viswanatahn-Ramamoorthy's "Kallellaam Maanika kallaaguma" (Aalayamani).....

dinesh2002
22nd July 2005, 05:01 PM
By the way, the song "Sollaayo solaikili"..(i dont know the MD) is the pure 'xerox' copy of Viswanatahn-Ramamoorthy's "Kallellaam Maanika kallaaguma" (Aalayamani).....

the song "Sollaayo solaikili"..(i dont know the MD) - Its an A.R.Rahman song

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 05:07 PM
ARR's levels are too high. I dont think he has time to hear other songs and get inspired.

All his composings should be original only

app_engine
22nd July 2005, 06:16 PM
saradhaa_sn, sollAyO sOlaikkiLi is inspired from `kallellAm mAnikka kallAgumA' for pallavi and from `inji iduppazhagi' for saraNam.

S.Balaji, neenga 'I dont think he has time to hear other songs and get inspired.''nnu sonnadhu really serious'Ahava?:-) NOM...

Jacky
22nd July 2005, 06:37 PM
inji iduppazhagi and Sunta hai mera khudha - super allegation!

Kavitha Krishnamurthy starts her high pitch humming it is slightly similar to Kamal singing Punna vanathiniley peda kuyil kovayile but never knew these tones are copyrighted to IR.

btw, Why does IR's Muthunatanam (TIS) sounds similar to folk/satire song Nanthavanathil vor aandi?
Appellam Ragam,Thalam,Pallavi ellorkum common ayidum!
:lol:

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 07:02 PM
saradhaa_sn, sollAyO sOlaikkiLi is inspired from `kallellAm mAnikka kallAgumA' for pallavi and from `inji iduppazhagi' for saraNam.

S.Balaji, neenga 'I dont think he has time to hear other songs and get inspired.''nnu sonnadhu really serious'Ahava?:-) NOM...

Yes I am saying this after studying ARR closely. He has reached a level which no other MD had in the history of Indian Musicians.
Not even my IR.

I dont think ARR will resort to copying at this stage of his career.

It is not needed as he is a creative artist

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 07:06 PM
In fact

MSV

IR

ARR

they are 3 jewels of TFM . Their names should be edited from this list of renowned carbon copiers

saradhaa_sn
22nd July 2005, 07:35 PM
If A.R.Rahman reached higher level means we should not point out his songs even it is already came in other films. Is it..??.

ARR's song: "En veettu thottaththil poovellaam kettuppaar"...(Gentleman) is nothing but the perfect 'xerox' copy of TMS song "Naadha vindhu kalaathi namo namo"...from Arunagirinathar or Pattinaththaar.

Rahman, Ilaiyaraja udaichaa mann satti
Deva, Shanker Ganesh, SARajkumar udaichaa ponn satti

Good.... Nalla sappaikattu.....

app_engine
22nd July 2005, 07:50 PM
Jacky, IR's copies / inspirations are well documented (there used to be a link on the top of this thread earlier). So are those of ARR...preference of one's music / creativity need not blind us to their inspirations IMHO...

app_engine
22nd July 2005, 07:53 PM
In fact, someone pointed out earlier in this thread (while dissecting `sollAyO sOlaikkiLi') that Kamal wanted inji iduppazhagi to be a variation of another old Hindi song...so, that itself was an inspiration:-)

Jacky
22nd July 2005, 07:57 PM
app engine,
I'm willing to accept if it is a genuine case of inspiration by ARR from IR. But the song you said no way qualifies as an inspiration. However the starting lines of the song are definitely similar to MSV's number.

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 07:58 PM
To ARR's credit I dont think he has a pallavi completely inspired or lifted like other MDs. In IR's case endha poovilum vaasam undu, akkarai seemai azhaginile, kanavu kaaNum are all clean note-by-note lifts, not inspirations. I havent come across a complete lift of pallavi in ARR's case so far.

S. Balaji, yaar paNNaaalum thappu thappu dhaan. No MD is exempt from the copied songs list.

Jacky
22nd July 2005, 08:02 PM
[tscii:bcce12dfb7]I think it's a waste of time to discuss these copies and inspirations.
Like **** himself Xerox Copied Raj Kapoor song Jeena yehan Marna yehan for Kadhodu than nan pesuven. Similarly IR for Dhum maro Dhum – yen purushan than.
It requires an open mind to accept such things, we guys (IR fans and ARR fans) are able to move around freely and across forums. I think we should let it be this way. IMHO.
[/tscii:bcce12dfb7]

app_engine
22nd July 2005, 08:11 PM
saradha, well said about maN satti-pon satti.

Almost all MD's had their share of inspirations and even blatant copies from sources around the world.

ABBA's `mAmA miA' (don't know whether ABBA got this from somewhere:-) became `mil gayA-therE liyE' in Hum kisise kum naheen, copied by RDB; also copied by MSV for his `vAnilE...AhAyaththil Arambam' song in his famous ninaiththAlE inikkum...

This kind of inspirations / copies goes on to prove the fact that film MD's, however talented they may be, at times copy. May be due to time pressure / insistence by external forces (like K Balachandar who has pushed all MD's to copy IMHO) /lack of creativity -either at that moment or always in some cases / sometimes unintentionally (engEyO kEttadhu mooLaiyil irundhu koNdu AttippadaippadhAl)...

However, if someone accepts like `well, this was done intentionally (or got inspired unintentionally), due to this reason, and the original artiste was compensated / acknowledged this way' (like A-M said about their great appreciation for IR), it'll be understandable / pardonable.

OTOH, if they keep telling `my creative juices are overflowing' (what Salim Malik said after he ditto copied inji iduppazhagi for hindi version Virasat) or `I don't listen to others' music' etc., then they deserve udhai...

thirudan pidikkappadumpozhudhu oppukkoNdu compensate paNNinAl mannippu...poi sonnAl dhaNdaNai - sari thAnE?

app_engine
22nd July 2005, 08:15 PM
"Like MSV himself Xerox Copied Raj Kapoor song Jeena yehan Marna yehan for Kadhodu than nan pesuven"

...kAdhOdu dhAn nAn pEsuven is by V Kumar (again a Balachandar movie)

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 08:20 PM
[tscii:2a14e05c80]I think it's a waste of time to discuss these copies and inspirations.
Like MSV himself Xerox Copied Raj Kapoor song Jeena yehan Marna yehan for Kadhodu than nan pesuven. Similarly IR for Dhum maro Dhum – yen purushan than.
It requires an open mind to accept such things, we guys (IR fans and ARR fans) are able to move around freely and across forums. I think we should let it be this way. IMHO.
[/tscii:2a14e05c80]

If you are pointing out something, you should be correct on facts.

Kaathodu than naan pesuven is from Velli vizha and it was composed by V.Kumar and not MSV.

Jacky
22nd July 2005, 08:25 PM
I've edited my post.

Jacky
22nd July 2005, 08:25 PM
I've edited my post.

Music4Ever
22nd July 2005, 09:10 PM
How about

Ghar the nikkal thEhi (or something like that) in Hindi becoming

"endhan vaanin kaadhal nilavE
Neeyum theyndhadhu edhanaal nilavE" in Tamil.

The MD is ARR and he may have been inspired by the above Hindi number. I would like to hear from esteemed posters like app_engine, Vijayr, S. Balaji, and saradhaa_sn.

rprasad
22nd July 2005, 09:52 PM
"To ARR's credit I dont think he has a pallavi completely inspired or lifted like other MDs".
Vijay you are mistaken, take the song from Jeans movie, Vaara o thozhi " is a straight lift from RDB song " O mera sona sona re sona".The other song is a song from hindi movie Pukar i dont remember the lyrics but is a straight lift from a old Sankar Ganesh song( i think it starts like " janaki devi" i dont remember but i remember the tune perfectly). Also the charanam of one of the songs in Pukar is ditto copy of the charanam from IR's Inji Idhupazaga song in Devar Magan. Straight lifts of Beats for a song is as bad as lifting starting tune since beats provide the basic rythm and make the song more catchy and in this regard ARR has plenty of straight lifts. IR's straight lifts during the course of his career spanning 800 movies is miniscule compared to others. Again i am not implying that IR is exempt from this wrongdoing but just bringing out the facts.
So you better verify things before belting out statements like above.

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 10:06 PM
rprasad, they are not note-by-note lifts, just inspirations.Learn the difference between the two. If I start listing IR's inspirations we might need a separate thread :-)) Most of his folk songs in the 70s have been inspired by his mother's songs, by his own admission.

rprasad
22nd July 2005, 10:43 PM
Vijay, Thats your opinion and its not necessary that it is the right one.I can tell as well as anybody what a straight lift is and what an inspiration is and certainly i need not learn it from you . So just keep it as your opinion and express it as such. I expressed my view. Every Md is inspired by something to create tunes, it just how he embelishes it with his own creativity that differentiates it from the original inspiration. The tunes i mentioned from ARR go far beyond just inspirations(they are straight lifts according to me, i have heard the songs a number of times) just check with anybody. I think you need to refresh your knowledge on what being inspired means. Now again different people view this differently and i am fine with it since these are all opinions. Just do not try to make statements trying put down other people's opinions or trying to question other people's competencies.You are not the authority on music here, so just express your opinion and if somebody disagrees and has a different opinion try to take it graciously and you can express your view agreeing or disagreeing on the same, instead of trying to question their competency.

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 10:54 PM
rprasad, when it comes to note-by-note lifts there is no question of opinion. Its either a lift or its not. I can vouch that vaarayo en thozhiye is not a lift. Its not my opinion, its a fact. Only with inspired songs there is a question of opinion, as to the extent of inspiration. If you play the tunes of both songs in question on a KB you will find its just a fleeting inspiration. Rahman is smart not to blatantly lift entire pallavis.

MADDY
22nd July 2005, 11:02 PM
rprasad, wat vijay says is true.....our dinesh has a list of IR songs which were inspired and it wud shatter u if go thru the list........if u want we can post them here......

basically i dunt think there is any need for ARR to copy......if a person can give a album like Mangal Pandey, y shuld he copy shankar-ganesh????that's a pathetic accusation........

listen to vaarayo thozhi and sona re....they r different pallavis....u get ur facts rite b4 accusing ARR....u better :D

Movies
22nd July 2005, 11:08 PM
rprasad,
U contradict your self.

U asked vijay to keep his thoughts to himself and at the same breath asked him to refresh his knowledge? If you have the rights to your definitoin so does vijay!

All said, you accusations for lifts are absurd. U said ask anyone ... well so far 3 guys in this thread have disagreed with you, so does anyone , according to your definition , mean ur kith and kin?...

rprasad never meant to be harsh on you but jus wanna let you know ur like / dislike about a MD should not inflience ur decision.

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 11:26 PM
Music4ever, I can see some similiarity in phrases, for example "kuch dhoor chalthe hi" the second line comes very close to "indru theivadhu yedhanaal nilave". Good one there. Of course the meter is different, but the progression of notes is very similiar. The first line is different with only the ending notes being the same.

I am not ruling out the fact that both of these could have been inspired from an old HFM song. Because ghar se nikalthe came in the mid-90s and I dont think ARR had to get inspiration from Rajesh Roshan the MD for that song :-)There are lots of songs in old HFM/TFM in Kalyani/Yaman Kalyan.
Rajesh Roshan's father, Roshan himself composed the classic "zindagi bhar nahin" a Yaman Kalyan melody with eternal appeal. One of his fans happen to be IR.

rprasad
22nd July 2005, 11:27 PM
VIjay, i never said note by note lift( i should have been more clear i guess). I disagree that it is only a fleeting inspiration . The basic tune is exactly the same with different lyrics and you immediately notice it when you listen to both the songs.(thats enough to classify it as a lift for me) Anyway thats my opinion. and the lift is even more blatantly visible in the Pukar song. Yes Maddy, i am pretty sure that the tamil song was composed by Shanker Ganesh( i think its from a Visu movie. Lets not dismiss Shanker Ganesh they were a pretty decent music duo.I believe in giving all MD's equal respect) which was lifted by ARR. First listen to both the songs and then express your opinion. I jumped out of my chair when i listened to it the first time. And also check out the charanam from another song in Pukar again lifted straight from Devar Magan. Do not comment without listening .

Maddy , I know you are a ARR fan as i am an IR fan. So we have our own opinions on what songs are inspired. Lets not start a ARR vs IR war here. Everone has their own views on this topic and lets respect other's opinions .

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 11:32 PM
rprasad, only the 2 words "vaarayo en thozhi" are similiar to "oh mere sona.." everything else is different. If this is a lift, then IR has about 100 lifts.

Jacky
22nd July 2005, 11:33 PM
"And also check out the charanam from another song in Pukar again lifted straight from Devar Magan"

which song are you talking about? Sunta hai or some other song?

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 11:34 PM
Would you say that en purushan dhaan enakku mattum dhaan by IR is a lift? Probably not, although the entire first line is the same. You would call it an inspiration. Similiarly, Vaarayo en thozhiye is a fleeting inspiration at best, as just the opening 2 words bear resemblance.

rprasad
22nd July 2005, 11:39 PM
"U contradict your self.

U asked vijay to keep his thoughts to himself and at the same breath asked him to refresh his knowledge? If you have the rights to your definitoin so does vijay! "

Movies,
Either you did not read my post fully or you have a problem understanding what i said. Read my post carefully i said "keep it as your opinion and express it as such". If you can't understand this clearly i dont know what to say. Just because people disagree with my opinion that doesnt mean my opinion is absurd. I expressed my opinion so have others i have no problems with that. And also they have responded to only one song withoug commenting on other songs which i mentioned.anyway i just expressed my view that even ARR has lifted straight pallavis in his short career(eventhough the degree might vary with different people). If people disagree thats fine. I am not the person who thinks only IR is great and others are junk. I respect all the MD's equally. Its just my preference that i listen more to IR's songs and spend more time anlayzing his songs than others.

Movies
23rd July 2005, 12:17 AM
I am sorry, so we lack defining knowledge and we also lack at understanding english is it?

Music4Ever
23rd July 2005, 01:04 AM
Thanks Vijayr for your input. As for straight lifts by ARR, I only remember musical bits (e.g. senthamizh naadenum podhinilE used as interlude in the song Amma thamizhamma (kangaLAl kaidhu sei), kousalya supraja rAma purvA in the song Margazhi poove). rprasad, can you specify which Pukar song you are referring and also that Shankar Ganesh number? The Suntha hai mera number is definitely inspired from kallellam mANikka kal Aguma but opinions could vary whether it is a straight lift like for example, Endha poovilum vaasam undu or Akkara cheemai azhaginilE.
Also, does anyone else also think that the song "MAman oodu machi oodu parisam podudhu kuchi voodu" is exactly the carnatic song "ra ra venu gopapala rAjitha sarguNa jeyaseela"?

vijayr
23rd July 2005, 02:42 AM
Music4ever, of course maaman veedu is an obvious parody of raaravenu. dharisanam kidaikaadha by IR - opening line similiar to Saamaja vara gamana.

rprasad
23rd July 2005, 04:43 AM
The pukar song i am talking about goes like this" Kismet se hum tumko mile" and the Sankar Ganesh song is something like "Janaki devi ramana thedi" i may have the lyrics wrong here. But i think it is from a Visu movie. I am not able to locate it. Ofcourse i totally forgot about "Suntha hai mera Khuda". I think it is too similar in flow to the MSV number pallavi to call it only a inspiration. I think it falls under Straight lift. This is similar to IR's Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal song "Keladi Kanmani" and LP's Tezaab song" So gaya yeh Jahan" which are similar except for IR's is a little faster tempo than Lp's song( i think Lp song came first). But in ARR's case the tempo also seems to be very similar.

MADDY
23rd July 2005, 10:13 AM
no prasad......Kismat se tum and janki devi songs have different pallavis......THEY ARE DIFFERENT........u analyse their notes....they r different.......

hey i'm posting wat my dad thought of this topic....he is a 56yr old ARR fan who has seen MSV-TKR,IR and ARR.....he tells me that when a MD grows listening to some gr8 haunting tunes....it stays in the back of their mind and gets embossed in their memory.....so when they sit down to compose it is but natural that tunes in back of their mind comes to the fore in their songs........

i felt this as true as i shocked myself as i cud remember punnagi mannan songs till recently...i saw punnagai mannan as a 3 yrold in some village theatre........good songs have such effect.......

i hope u guys got my point.....so give this dimension a thought while analysing the copied tunes...... :D

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 10:44 AM
Would you say that en purushan dhaan enakku mattum dhaan by IR is a lift? Probably not, although the entire first line is the same. You would call it an inspiration. Similiarly, Vaarayo en thozhiye is a fleeting inspiration at best, as just the opening 2 words bear resemblance.

Vijay , you are right.

Except for the first line .

It is just an inspiration . IR is not so poor to copy. He would not have lasted for 3 decades otherwise

narcot
23rd July 2005, 11:23 AM
The tune of first line from " Kismet se hum tumko mile" has been copied in a film called Yakeen starring Jimmy shergill and a new find. MD: Shantanu Moitra (MD of Parineeta

saradhaa_sn
23rd July 2005, 11:49 AM
Unless being a neutral person, no one can discuss this topic properly. Being a 'Fan' (sorry) 'Bakthan' of any music director, they cant digest the truth. They want to hide their MD's lifts (inspiration..??) from other MDs or movies.

By the way, in the song 'anbe..anbe..kolaathey'... (Jeans) has a humming in the starting and in the middle. (Just imagine it).. a...a..aaaa.....a..a..aaa. That humming itself lifted (sorry inspired) from .."Naan Aanaiyittaal..adhu nadandhu vittaal"...(MGR's film Enga Veettu Pillai).

Enga Veetu Pillai released in 1965 and Jeans in 1997.

So, please dont say MSV COPIED FROM ARR.....

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 12:18 PM
Unless being a neutral person, no one can discuss this topic properly. Being a 'Fan' (sorry) 'Bakthan' of any music director, they cant digest the truth. They want to hide their MD's lifts (inspiration..??) from other MDs or movies.

By the way, in the song 'anbe..anbe..kolaathey'... (Jeans) has a humming in the starting and in the middle. (Just imagine it).. a...a..aaaa.....a..a..aaa. That humming itself lifted (sorry inspired) from .."Naan Aanaiyittaal..adhu nadandhu vittaal"...(MGR's film Enga Veettu Pillai).

Enga Veetu Pillai released in 1965 and Jeans in 1997.

So, please dont say MSV COPIED FROM ARR.....

Sharadha, you are right. It is an inspiration .

Besides , the humming in that song is again a fine tuning from Mustafa Mustafa ( but ARRs only )

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 12:20 PM
Again the same humming in Jeans ( anbay anbay ) was lifted by Deva in Citizen for the final song ( kizakay udikkum suriyanay )

Friend Deva is well known for immediate lifts so that others cannot do it !!

MADDY
23rd July 2005, 02:36 PM
"So, please dont say MSV COPIED FROM ARR....."

saradha did u realise this statement of urs shows u r a MSV fan ooppps sorry bhaktni :D ....

hey all those who think ARR fans r hypocrites....picture this:

Malarndhu malaradha padhi malar pola (Paasa Malar) by TKR-MSV

Indru Pudhidhaga anbu malar pola-girlfriend song (Boys) by the king.......

they r similar bits......but y wud ARR copy a slow emotional song for a rock no. like girlfriend.......he wud have rather copied some peppy no. from MSV........i think here, only my theory works.....the paasa malar tune was embossed in ARR's memory so wen he sat for girlfriend song it automatically came out without his knowledge......wat say guys???

saradhaa_sn
23rd July 2005, 02:53 PM
dear Maddy

I am not a fan of any particular MD. But fan of good music...

But why I added that line means, persons are there without knowing the period which come first, they will simply say who copied from whom. Thatswhy I afraid....

Do you know, when ARR used the same tunes what he comppossed for Tamil when it is remde in Hindi, some persons telling ARR copied Hindi tunes (wihout knowing which come first and both compossed by same MD).

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 05:09 PM

saradha did u realise this statement of urs shows u r a MSV fan ooppps sorry bhaktni :D ....

they r similar bits......but y wud ARR copy a slow emotional song for a rock no. like girlfriend.......he wud have rather copied some peppy no. from MSV........i think here, only my theory works.....the paasa malar tune was embossed in ARR's memory so wen he sat for girlfriend song it automatically came out without his knowledge......wat say guys???

Incidentally, if a genius like ARR takes inspiration of another Genius MSV, its something special.

I have not seen ARR taking inspiration out of IR

Vysar
23rd July 2005, 07:09 PM
"Nerrukku Ner Nindru Parthathu Paarvai" songs is the inspiration for Vaaraiyo thozhi Vaaraiyo Thozhi in jeans. Nerukku Ner itself is an inspiration from a old Hindi hit. MD is is none other than veda (yesteryears Deva). Digression, did u see Deva didn't leave even the name in copying. He just switched Veda in to Deva so it spells the same.

dinesh2002
23rd July 2005, 07:12 PM
saradha...i understand that,im sure no one said ARR never copied or inspired,but compare to what he have inspired,the current md have a huge list,y not u try to get thier list rather than looking between ARR-IR-MSV-IR-ARR-MSV,leave HJ to me,he is caught red handed verytime he releases an album! :wink: :lol:

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 07:13 PM
"Nerrukku Ner Nindru Parthathu Paarvai" songs is the inspiration for Vaaraiyo thozhi Vaaraiyo Thozhi in jeans. Nerukku Ner itself is an inspiration from a old Hindi hit. MD is is none other than veda (yesteryears Deva). Digression, did u see Deva didn't leave even the name in copying. He just switched Veda in to Deva so it spells the same.

Nerukku ner nindru - Is from O mere sonari sonari sonari - by Shammi kapoor

Music4Ever
23rd July 2005, 08:12 PM
"I have not seen ARR taking inspiration out of IR"

I think the song Thigu thigu in the recent A ah is basically a Ilayaraja type of song. The orchestration and even the basic melody reminds one of some IR songs during the time ARR entered the field (1993-'94). In particular "ANai Kattu" reminds me of the humming in "Sevvandhi pookaLil seydha veedu, veN panju mEgam nee kOlam pOdu" which goes "AarirArO ArAri ArirArO".

MADDY
23rd July 2005, 10:54 PM
yaa i agree with Music4eva that thigu thigu is IR-ish type of song.....but did u notice that Mujra bit by blaaze in that song is something IR wud never do....he will never mix his melody with mujra bits.....that's where ARR stands out........we worship ARR cos he is different from IR........

Movies
24th July 2005, 02:06 AM
hmm.. maddy nice point...

But for me the reason it sounds like an IR song is cause IR has done so many seductive songs... infact at a time he was famous for the seductive numbers!

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 01:48 PM
Irandu kaigal naamthana - song from Thirusulam

I think this song is an inspiration from Sholay - ye dosti

I am not sure but.....

interz
24th July 2005, 04:01 PM
the most obvious copy i heard ever is collegukku povom (kovil), a clearly copy about kamban engu... (dont know the movie)

saradhaa_sn
24th July 2005, 05:55 PM
You are correct....

"Collegeukku povom...kattadikka maattoom".....(kovil)

is clean copy of

"Kamban yengu ponaan....shelly yenna aanaan"....(Jaadhi Malli) music by Maragatha Mani.

MADDY
25th July 2005, 12:19 AM
hey guys i have a very urgent doubt....can anyone confirm whether

Maragathamani is the same person as Keeravani in telugu and MM.Kreem in Hindi????pls someone reply.......if it is true then i think he is the person i love after ARR.....such a gr8 melody musician.......

Jacky
25th July 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure if Keeravani is his telugu alias but MM.Kreem is Maragadamani. I think Bollywood has treated him roughly despite hits like Criminal and Sur.

inetk
25th July 2005, 09:15 AM
Yup, He's Maragadhamani in Tamil (debuted with KB's Azhagan, if I recall right), Keeravani in Telugu and MM Kreem in Hindi (debuted with Sudhir Mishra's Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin, with some fab tracks).

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

MADDY
25th July 2005, 09:21 AM
thnx a ton inetk :D ........i always had a doubt....gr8 musician.......i wud place him next to ARR in my list...... :D

Shankar
25th July 2005, 09:37 AM
to keep you happy maddy...
tu milE dhil kilE is a copy of you-know-what :-)

saradhaa_sn
25th July 2005, 11:39 AM
I think Maragathamani done music very few in Tamil, like:

Azhagan
Vaanamey Ellai
Jaadhi Malli

Also for Mouli's "Aswini", but I think it is a telugu dubbing....

Especially all the seven songs in "Azhagan" are gems are varieties.

Kozhi koovum neram aachchu...thalli po mama...
Thudikirathey nenjam..themmangu paadi..
Jaadhi malli poocharamey....
Nenjamadi nenjam......
Sangeetha swarangal...yezhe kanakka...
Thaththithom.... (best number by Chitra)
Mazhaiyum neeya.....

But why he disappeared now..???.

inetk
25th July 2005, 02:30 PM
Maragadhamani has done some trash Tamil albums too like Arjun's Sevagan. But overall I personally think he's got amazing range. In Hindi, where he does movies sporadically, he has always managed to grab the top slots through sheer melodies - no dance tracks at all! Even in a otherwise crap Saaya, that had Anu Malik's music, the best song was the lone composition by Kreem, 'Dil chura liya'. Typical Kreem song, that one.

He also had a fascination for the sivaranjani raagam once upon a time - used to see the Telugu feed in Zee TV long back to catch up with latest music. Tons of variations of Sivaranjani from Kreem even in the same movie. He also has his share of lifts and utterly dumb songs in Telugu, but those could be what the market wanted and not necessarily what he wanted to do.

IMO, Azhagan remains one of his personal best in terms of sheer variety and class. Every time I listen to Mazhayum Neeye, I sing every word of it till the end - one hell of an amazing song.

abbydoss1969
25th July 2005, 07:57 PM

Incidentally, if a genius like ARR takes inspiration of another Genius MSV, its something special.

I have not seen ARR taking inspiration out of IR
Well, IR came after a long era of MSV music, that had IR copied MSV he would not have survived.Same way, to survive ARR had to move away from all kinds of IR influence, otherwise he wouldnt have been what he is.I think Maniratnam helped him in this regard in the first film, as said by ARR in an interview, MR rejected everthing that sounded like someother MD,I think it meant IR.

abbydoss1969
26th July 2005, 08:13 PM
ARR's three inspirations:
1. "Kannalane..." from Bombay, later on S A Rajkumar composed a similar sounding song in "poove unakkaha".When asked in interview he said, both Arr's and his song were inspired by a gazal song and he boasted his version is more melodious than ARR's.
2. Thillana thillana song from Muthu.
Right around the time the song was released I was watching a BBC programme "Holiday" on a sunday. On the title music what do I hear, but the palavi of "thillana".I watched a couple of times to check and it was the same tune and the MD of the title music is also a different guy. so, may be both of them have been inspired from the same source.
3. This is more of a direct lift than inspiration; BGM of Iruvar, the MR film,the main theme music played throughout the movie is from vangelis's soundtrack album of "chariots of fire".The film is remembered just for the soundtrack, so, I don't know why he directly used the tune for a brilliant film like "Iruvar". MaY BE , MR forced him or something.

dinesh2002
27th July 2005, 04:04 PM
1. "Kannalane..." from Bombay, later on S A Rajkumar composed a similar sounding song in "poove unakkaha".When asked in interview he said, both Arr's and his song were inspired by a gazal song and he boasted his version is more melodious than ARR's.
Right around the time the song was released I was watching a BBC programme "Holiday" on a sunday. On the title music what do I hear, but the palavi of "thillana".I watched a couple of times to check and it was the same tune and the MD of the title music is also a different guy. so, may be both of them have been inspired from the same source.
3. This is more of a direct lift than inspiration; BGM of Iruvar, the MR film,the main theme music played throughout the movie is from vangelis's soundtrack album of "chariots of fire".The film is remembered just for the soundtrack, so, I don't know why he directly used the tune for a brilliant film like "Iruvar". MaY BE , MR forced him or something.

i wonder y people still dun think ARR has the capability to BE THE SOURCE for people copying his music,they end up this whole thing like " both must be inspired by the same source"..and man...later they will say that Leo Coffe & Mudhal Kanave was inspired from same source....im waiting for that day!!the 2 & 3 is ok...SAR never praised ARR for anything,but ARR did praise SAR for his Yetho oru paathe.....

Sanjeevi
27th July 2005, 04:29 PM
Many MDs are copying IR's tune and music. Among them I give the song list which was very successful copying.

1) Neethanae naan pada (Pattu vathiyar) ==> Etho oru paatu (Unnidathil Ennai Koduthaen)
2) Rasathi Unna (Vaideki Kathirunthal) ==> Rosappu chinna rosappu (Surya vamsam)
3) Kadaveethi Kalakalakkum (Amman kovil kilakklae) ==> Thiruvizhanu vantha (Jeyam)

abbydoss1969
27th July 2005, 08:00 PM

i wonder y people still dun think ARR has the capability to BE THE SOURCE for people copying his music,they end up this whole thing like " both must be inspired by the same source"..and man...later they will say that Leo Coffe & Mudhal Kanave was inspired from same source....im waiting for that day!!the 2 & 3 is ok...SAR never praised ARR for anything,but ARR did praise SAR for his Yetho oru paathe.....
I just mentioned what SAr mentioned. I don't think anything is wrong in being inspired becos nobody can work in a vacuum. If IR can take folk melodies and rework and reinterpret them in his way, why shouldn't ARR take a much more comtemporary melody and rework/reinterpret it.
The larger question is most ARR fans quick to run down Ysr and Hj
The whole topic will be more meaningful if you can define copying and inspiration.

dinesh2002
27th July 2005, 08:50 PM
true abby,no one can be 100% original,but how many have agreed they r inspired??? :P i know i have heard ARR said he did,what bout others??

saradhaa_sn
29th July 2005, 01:49 PM
"Amman koyil kizhakkaaley....anna vayal merkaaley".... (Sakalakala vallavan-1982)

is the same repeatation of :

"Solam vehdakkaiyiley....sollipputtu pona pulley"...(16 vayadhiniley-1977)
Both by IR.

Rrrrrrrepeeeeeattoooooooo........

saradhaa_sn
29th July 2005, 01:58 PM
"Maniyosai kettu ezhundhu... nenjil aasai kodi sumandhu".....(Payanangal Mudivathillai-1982) by IR

is nothing but

"Maadhaa un koyilil... mani dheepan yetrinen"... (Achchaani-1974) by MSV or SG...???

Rrrrrrrrrepeeeeeatttuuu.......

S.Balaji
29th July 2005, 02:07 PM
Again,

Poyaa Poyaa - From Jayam is a straight take from :

kada veethi kalakalakkum - From Amman Koil Kizakaalay

Also, in Azagiya theeyay - There is a lovely song- Poo nesithen , naan swasithen ( I dont remember the words ), i guess, it resembles :

Pehela nashaaa - Jo jita wohi sikandhar - Amir Khan etc etc

Am not sure ??

Shankar
29th July 2005, 02:08 PM
AchchANi is by Raja

S.Balaji
29th July 2005, 02:12 PM
"Maniyosai kettu ezhundhu... nenjil aasai kodi sumandhu".....(Payanangal Mudivathillai-1982) by IR

is nothing but

"Maadhaa un koyilil... mani dheepan yetrinen"... (Achchaani-1974) by MSV or SG...???

Rrrrrrrrrepeeeeeatttuuu.......

Madha un kovilil - Its by IR , for sure.

So, its a self inspiration !!! - Song by - S. Janaki

vijayr
6th August 2005, 12:11 AM
YSR has done it again. Has anyone talked about his pathetic songs from Daas. "Vaa Vaa" by Shankar Mahedevan, Mahalakshmi -the last 3 lines of each charanam is a 100% lift from the respective lines of the famous IR dappanguththu "adiye manam nilluna" from NeengaL kettavai. Clever lift there. He has a different pallavi but has done a selective lift in the charanam thinking that it would be less obvious. And somehow we are supposed to believe that he is the next best thing in TFM? Puhleeze..

Shankar
6th August 2005, 04:24 PM
vijayr,
He's claimed he's done it deliberately, like he did "Asai nooRu vagai"

Vysar
6th August 2005, 10:18 PM
"chinna maharaniyae" in priyasaki is a copy "senthoora poovae ingu then kondu vaa vaa" senthurapoovae.

"Akasavanee neeyae yen raani" priyamudan song is also a copy of "Raasathi unna kaanatha nenju" Vaideki Kaathirunthaal

vijayr
6th August 2005, 11:35 PM
"He's claimed he's done it deliberately, like he did "Asai nooRu vagai""

deliberatea paNNaama pinna eppadi copy adika mudiyum? :-) Every lift is deliberate.Just because he admitted it(after an interviewer mentioned it to him), it doesnt absolve him of the act.Aasai nooruvagai was more of a remix.

Ramki
6th August 2005, 11:54 PM
SG-dfers should be familiar with the Rafi-vigneshwari's popular duet 'mandhiram vachaaye machamuLLe kaNNaale'

YSR's 'sokku podi'(Doss) first 2 lines(atleast) sounds exactly like this song.

Shankar
8th August 2005, 09:35 AM
vijayr,
what do you mean by Aasai 100...was more of a remix ?! Isn't the daas song a remix ?(i haven't listened to it..I just thought he's done something similar to that song.) So its a deva'ish lift is it ?

inetk
8th August 2005, 10:41 AM
Aasai 100 vagai was indeed a remix. It used the same original lyrics and voice over a new dancy orchestration. Vaa Vaa is not a remix. Its something like Bala's Theendi theendi and its original Hindi version by Raja. Its a lift, but could be spoken in softer terms only because the lift is from his dad's repertoire!

In fact, it looks like Yuvan wanted to add his part by making cosmetic changes in Vaa Vaa compared to Adiye. Frankly, the new version does sound pretty catchy and looks good on screen too with Ravi's antics. The only thing that irks is the lack of a small credit to his Great Dad, in an official way - say the cassette cover and not a passing mention in an interview that too when asked about it...that would have made Yuvan look much better with no such lift accusations. I can understand if it some other composer, there might be copyright issues, but with his own dad, I'm sure Yuvan could have worked out something better so that the credit goes to the right person as regards the original. Yuvan would also be spoken with some respect in that case. Now, it merely looks like he's using up his baap ka maal.

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 10:49 AM
There is a song in Naan... Music by T.K.Ramamurthy I think...

Vandhaal enodu .. LREaswari sang that song... It is a lift from Come September .

thumburu
8th August 2005, 02:52 PM
vijayr, I watched that ragamalika programme where SPB was the judge. When one participant sang "pazhamudhir solai", SPB remarked, PROBABLY IR got inspired from an RDB song starting with
"muzzafir ... " as IR had an admiration for RDB.
Personally, I think the similarity ends in few bars.

Jacky
8th August 2005, 05:59 PM
thumburu,
I think the song you're mentioning is Musafir hun yaroon.
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000249.html
it's by SDB by the way.

vijayr
8th August 2005, 08:24 PM
thumburu, SPB was probably guessing then. Having worked with IR he knows that IR has been inspired by a lot of SDB songs. For example IR himself said that he had "khile hain gul" in mind when he did Maalayil yaaro, although the similiarity isnt evident. A case of true inspiration and NOT plagiarism.
Pazhamudhir from Musafir hun yaaron seems like a stretch to me, but who knows our MDs have been inspired by 2-second flute pieces to create an entirely new song.

vijayr
8th August 2005, 08:26 PM
enna desamo from Un KaNNil neer vazhindhaal is a clear inspiration from Na koyi umanga hai (Kati Patang). Esp. compare the second and third lines of the pallavi to get an idea.

jaiganes
9th August 2005, 10:50 AM
vijayr!
Kamal mentioned in a progra on JayaTV (Tamil new years day?) that he asked IR to come up with a tune like "yeh dil diwaana hai, deewaana hey yeh dil" from razia sultana for Devar Magan. In 5 mins IR came up with "Inji iduppazhaga" just by moving up the scale and shifting the original tune. I dont know if that has been mentioned earlier in this forum.
He(kamal) went on to add that he did the similar thing for "Pudhu maappillaikku" in Apoorva sagodharargal too and the speciality of IR is to be inspired and still give the tune a new life, the one which is very original and very IR.

thumburu
9th August 2005, 11:43 AM

thumburu
9th August 2005, 11:46 AM

thumburu
9th August 2005, 11:48 AM
I had the misfortune of hearing a recent vijay hit
wth the starting line as "maaro maaro goli maaro"
The interlude in this song is a lift from
ARR's "Columbus" song from the movie Jeans.

nilavupriyan
15th August 2005, 07:43 PM
can u please help me to download vedan(sarath kumar) songs please.

its said to be copied from flash dance....so i wanna hear them.

vijayr
16th August 2005, 10:03 AM
There was a Parthiban song on Sun TV-the heroine(who I couldnt identify) sings this song that starts of with "ku kukoo kuyil.." humming and then Parthiban has the "dheem tha dheem tha dhirana" humming in throughout the song. Does anyone know the name of the film? Picturized nicely near a lake/hill.The dheemtha humming is a straight lift from Colonial cousins' Indian rain song.

jaiganes
16th August 2005, 10:29 AM
vijay!
The film is "Vaaymaye vellum", the heroine is Rakshita an oriya actress. Music is by Deva. it was a P.Vasu movie I guess.

vijayr
16th August 2005, 12:26 PM
Devavaa, OK :-)

jaiganes
16th August 2005, 03:26 PM
vijay !
i might be wrong here. The music could be by Sabesh - Murali, brothers of Deva who generally do the back ground music for Deva's films.

dinesh2002
17th August 2005, 03:29 PM
yo guys...i saw a movie called VEDAN today,starred by Sarathkumar,Kushboo....directed by Suresh Krishna i think....there is a song there (Md : Deva) " En Kadhala Meendum Solvaya " the 2 starting line is exact with our latest IR's "Poo poothethe ,tootham yaar pothathe" from ME....

saradhaa_sn
22nd August 2005, 05:30 PM
"Kaaki chattai potta machaan...kannathiley kannam vachaan".... from Shanker Guru by Chandrabose,

is same copy from

"Pottu vacha ponnukkaaga bettu vachene"...from KB's 'Poikaal Kuthirai' by MSV.

saradhaa_sn
26th August 2005, 01:53 PM
"Karuvelan kaattukulle..katti vacha koottukulley" by Anuradha Sriram in Porkaalam (MD: Deva)

is nothing but

"Othaiyadi paadhaiyile..aththai maga pogaiyile" an old black & white song.

kingvj
6th September 2005, 12:37 AM
I wont say the below-mentioned ones are 'copy', just my 2 cents/paise, whatever.

1. In the song 'Tholin Maelaey' from 'Ninaivellaam Nithya, at around 2:45-2:52 minutes, there comes a very brief interlude in the background which sounds exactly similar to the 'Yaakkai Thiri' - Aaidha Ezhuthu interlude (the one that comes at around 1:34-1:38 in the background, after the female voice).

2. In the 'Kannum kannum Nokia' charanam tune ('ennai octupos viralgalal surutti vittai') sounds same as the Vijay song 'Ullathai Killaadhaey' from 'Tamizhan', the position of the tune being the same on both the songs (last but one line of the charanam).

mr_karthik
13th September 2005, 01:28 PM
appadi pArka pOnAl, ippO vijay, simbu, dhanush ivanga Adum group dance pAttu ellAthukkum orEy tune thaan.

yEdhavathu difference theriyudhA?.

tune mattumalla, dance movement ellAmum orEy mAthirithAn.

crvenky
15th September 2005, 12:31 PM
The theme music of Ponniyin Selvan is a ditto copy of Mozart's composition. I forgot which one. Can somebody tell me. VS, you too?

IsaiRasigan
15th September 2005, 03:15 PM
The theme music of Ponniyin Selvan is a ditto copy of Mozart's composition. I forgot which one. Can somebody tell me. VS, you too?

actually, it sounds more like a re-arrangement of Horner's Titanic theme.

Shankar
15th September 2005, 04:57 PM
>>>>>>>
Can somebody tell me. VS, you too?
<<<<<<<
What do you mean ?? VS has copied in his very first movie ! Listen to the song "mutham thara Etha idam..." and sukhbir's original (or did sukhbir also copy from some other source ??)

interz
15th September 2005, 07:22 PM
like "mutham thara eatta idam" better than original, its slow.

app_engine
15th September 2005, 07:35 PM
"better than original, its slow.".....ippadi certificate kodukka nAttil AL irukkumbOdhu, suruttubavarkaL kAttil mazhai dhAn:-)

Sanjeevi
15th September 2005, 07:59 PM
At starting time, VS was a super copy cat. Punjabi, Arabi, Gazal songs was his source. Jai hind, karna are example (not all songs).

But now a days he is good.

app_engine
15th September 2005, 09:02 PM
"But now a days he is good" - appadeennA enna artham? Does it mean that he has suddenly become `all-original' & creative? (Repented and turned around from copying?)

njv
15th September 2005, 11:41 PM
Copying in indian movie is a common thing. I just finish watching Viruddh, starring amitabh. The story resembels Maaran but not quite the same. I would say Viruddh is a better movie than Maaran. Anyway, the reason I am talking about Viruddh is the BGM. The MD must have seen Nayagan, specifically the percussion beat during the "Thenpandi seemaiyilae" song, which comes in several scenes s BGM, is used heavily in this movie. MD must have been an IR fan. Who was it? Deva?

interz
16th September 2005, 01:51 AM
-deleted-

Shankar
16th September 2005, 10:00 AM
interz,
may be you tried such a thing...there are enuf original composers around. You don't have to justify the copy by saying its better than the original..all those arguments are nonsense.

Scale
18th September 2005, 03:16 PM
"But now a days he is good" - appadeennA enna artham? Does it mean that he has suddenly become `all-original' & creative? (Repented and turned around from copying?)

app_e! oru mudivoda thaan vandhuirukeenghala (latest Chandramukhi songs).

SHORT & SWEET :D

nilavupriyan
18th September 2005, 03:48 PM

vs u too???....vidhyasagar has copied many.

recently in a dilip film...,think so "kochi rajavu"..,he had copied a song of mani sharma in youth called"one inchu two inchu"....

interz
18th September 2005, 04:05 PM
i see lot of VS haters here, shame shame shame, u can say whatever you want, but he is among the top mDS in kollywood now, other wise he would never had worked with stars like kamal and rajini.

nilavupriyan
18th September 2005, 04:20 PM
im not vs hater...i loved his music in anbey sivam...but he is also copying...thats the aspect.

i cant see him as one of the greats like ir or arr.just a good music director...thats it

njv
18th September 2005, 11:44 PM
Today I listen to one very old IR song. Song is "sevaraLi thotathilE unna nenaichaen" from bagavathipuram railywa gate.

The song starts with a "thananaeeee thananaeee" a typical village based song that starts with their folk "aalapanai"

The tune is exactly same as "Marugappa ..." in urvasi urvasi song from kadhalan.

The song by itself doesnt resemble anything, but just the begining aalapanai is same.

saradhaa_sn
19th September 2005, 12:26 PM
"Solai ilangiliye... adada... tholirandum kaaviriye" from 'Annanukku Jay'

is the exact repeatation of

"Kuthiraiyil naan amarndhen...adada... kizhakku pakkam povatharku" from 'Avar enakke sondham'

Both are by IR.

rrrrreepeeeaaatttuuuu..... (P.Vasu)

"Vachukkavaa unnai mattum nenjukkulley" from 'Nallavanukku nallavan'

is the exact repeatation of

"Poovizhi vaasalil yaaradi vandhathu kiliye..kiliye" from 'Deepam'

Both are by IR.

rrrrepeeeaatttuuuuu...... (Ramkumar)

vijayr
19th September 2005, 07:26 PM
saradha_n, poovizhi vaasalil-->vechchukkava , good find.Not an exact repitition, but with slight variations. I am sure there are plenty more such instances in IR's songs.

alias
20th September 2005, 07:49 PM
Saradha.. what about Priyasakhi from Goopura Vasalile and Priya O Priya from Idayathai Thirudadhey. Dont they sound similiar? Or is it the picturization which is similiar?

Sanjeevi
20th September 2005, 08:09 PM
Saradha.. what about Priyasakhi from Goopura Vasalile and Priya O Priya from Idayathai Thirudadhey. Dont they sound similiar? Or is it the picturization which is similiar?

rendulayum priya varuthu, athuthan similarity.

Pongada neengalum unga comparisonum

Sanjeevi
20th September 2005, 08:17 PM
Similarity songs

From IR to IR
----------------
1) Kanmaniyae kathal enbathu - Vizhiyilae malarthathu
2) Mamavuku kuduma - En patha mathu
3) Mankuyilae poonkuyilae - Eeru mayil adi varum
4) Poonkatru puthiraduthu - En vazhvilae varum anbae vaa
5) Rooja ponthottam - Khajiravo kanivilor
6) Oliyilae therivathu - Etho unnu ninachirunthen

alias
20th September 2005, 11:10 PM
Sanjeevi, sharpen your ears and listen to the Priyasakhi and O Priya Priya. They sound similiar.

Neeyum Un Kadhum...

saradhaa_sn
21st September 2005, 12:22 PM
Alias, paavam Sanjeevi... vittudunga.

But at the same time, as I posted before:

"Solai ilanguyile... adada.. tholirandum kaaviriye" from 'Annanukku Jay'
and
"Kudhiraiyil naan amarndhen...adada...kizhakku pakam povatharku" from 'Avar enakke sondham'

complete pallavi repeated same.
Nobody (including IR) can refuse it.

alias
21st September 2005, 08:05 PM
Sardha, the reason I compared Priyasakhi and O Priya Priya was that the second lines sounds similiar. And same thing with Van Megam (Punnagai Manan) and O Meghame (Mouna Ragam). I always thought these songs are same.

And as far as Sanjeevi, he is pissed after reading IR dhoti jokes :lol:

Sanjeevi
21st September 2005, 08:19 PM
Sardha, the reason I compared Priyasakhi and O Priya Priya was that the second lines sounds similiar. And same thing with Van Megam (Punnagai Manan) and O Meghame (Mouna Ragam). I always thought these songs are same.

Now I accept for Van megam (PM) and O Ho Megama (MR)

[quote=alias]And as far as Sanjeevi, he is pissed after reading IR dhoti jokes :lol:

on your jeans bought from ARR shop :lol:

Sanjeevi
21st September 2005, 08:21 PM
:wink:

alias
22nd September 2005, 01:08 AM
Good to see you smile Sanjeevi. Hope you are in good mood today :)

app_engine
22nd September 2005, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure whether this was posted earlier.

Yesterday I was watching Mary Poppins on DVD (Disney movie, 1964)...The song `chim-chim-cheree' has influenced some Tamil songs...one that had a striking similarity (inspiration) is
`pEsum maNi muthu rOjAkkaL, piLLaigaL ellArum rAjAkkaL' (is MSV the MD, I think the film is `neela malargaL')...

The official site of the movie has a small clipping in the juke box icon...there are tons of midi / mp3 versions on the web too...
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveaction/marypoppins/home.html

I think the movie itself is the inspiration for a song in `rAja chinna rOja' (mix of animation characters with humans)...

Shankar
22nd September 2005, 10:34 AM
pEsum maNi muthu rOjAkkaL was used intelligently by Arr in peNNalla peNNalla rOjAppoo in uzhavan.

mythila
22nd September 2005, 11:01 AM
Shankar, I have also felt the same. I remember posting about it in the same thread, a couple of years back.
Song : kaadhal raani
Film : Trishoolam MD: MSV.
If you notice the charanam starting lines, they have the same tune as "Ammammaa kaatru vandhu aadai thottu paadum" 's charanam lines , a PS solo [one of my most liked songs of PS] from the film Venniraadai.

app_engine
22nd September 2005, 07:42 PM
My son got so thrilled with the chim-chim-cheree that he kept playing on his key board...and I feel `boom-boom-mAttukkAran theruvil vandhAndi' too was inspired by this song and to some extent the 'Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious' song too...is Veda the MD? namba mudiyavillai, normally he chooses to do ditto's but in this he beautifully mixed a couple of disney songs and added some good folk flavour...AVM house has probably done a thesis on `Mary Poppins':-)

kingvj
24th September 2005, 07:08 AM
Talking about the Yanni - 'Live At Acropolis' piece thats used in the SunTV-ThiraiVimarsanam program, one of my friends told me that the same music (or a part of the same track) was used by who-else-than-Deva in 'Priyamudan' when Vijay goes in search of Kausalya.

Can anyone confirm? I havent seen the movie.

Would be glad to be enlightened on more copies/usage of instrumentals, especially Beethoven-Mozart range. ;)

app_engine
26th September 2005, 06:52 PM
More on `Mary Poppins'...

-The `rAja chinna rOja' storyline also got inspired (original - paRandhu varum nanny helps the family bond strongly while thrilling the children with her magic...finally dad becoming more dedicated to family)

-the boy friend of Mary Poppins (the chimney cleaner, the musician, the dancer & painter) has a peculiar outfit in the opening scene...with musical instruments tied to his body... Kamal has ditto copied the OUTFIT for his `bamchikku bamchikku bamcha bum bum bum' song in singAra vElan (remember him `clapping' the disks tied to his knees?). Good that IR kept himself away from getting inspired...

Kumanan
3rd October 2005, 08:25 AM
Guys heard of a nice copied song of RDBurman (By T Rajendar i belive)......... Nadhiya Nadhiya nile nathiya?! Its the song of the day in our site http://www.isaimania.com Give a try if you have missed this song. (Link for the song is in the right side bar)

It has awesome miruthangam beat that make the copied version particularly good.

Adios!

inetk
3rd October 2005, 09:46 AM
Not copied. The music for the movie 'Poo Mazhai Puzhiyudhu' is by R D Burman himself - one of the 2 Tamil films he scored music for, the other one being 'Ulagam Pirandhadhu Enakkaaga'.

This song, 'Nadhiya Nadhiya' is of course his own tune, 'Aise mujhe tum dekho' by Kishore Kumar in Darling Darling (1977).

Karthik
www.itwofs.com

Kumanan
3rd October 2005, 10:16 AM
Inetk,

Did he score the music for this movie or was T Rajendar the actual MD?!

They put "Music by RD Burman" even in 'Ketaverellam Padalam' *ing Madhavan just because the tunes were borrowed! So it might be another MD who did the actual tamil version.

dinesh2002
3rd October 2005, 12:03 PM
pEsum maNi muthu rOjAkkaL was used intelligently by Arr in peNNalla peNNalla rOjAppoo in uzhavan.

surely ARR made that tune more melodious than the original,duncha think??