PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Old responses (5 Aug 2006)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Oldposts
26th December 2004, 08:59 AM
Topic started by RAJAN (gtrajan@hotmail.com) (@ proxy-122.iap.bryant.webtv.net) on Thu Jan 22 22:20:06 EST 1998.

A new Ilayaraja album is a cause for celebration with many among us. Let everyone share in the revelry. Review, discuss or comment on new IR albums.

Oldposts
Old responses (http://tfmpage.com/forum/10870.21924.22:20:06.html)

Oldposts
Here is the source

http://www.vikatan.com/jv/2004/dec/12122004/jv0701.asp

Oldposts
"Creativity in Science and Music"

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/dec102004/1505.pdf (http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/dec102004/1505.pdf
)

Guys, if we can send a feedback to CURRENT SCIENCE, mentioning specifically IR's scientific ways of brining creativity in music, it will be nice and if published will give a great fillip to the Tiruvasakam project at least amongst the scientific community in India

Oldposts
and to do that, the best way is to reproduce Panneerselvam's article on IR that was published in Frontline, in 1992

Oldposts
It looks like Telugu MDs are cashing in recycling IR's tunes

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/11768.html

Oldposts
The music for Karagattakkari has been released today while IR has signed a new movie called Maanidan with Meena(i think)&a couple of guys whom i couldn't recognise in the posters.

Oldposts
raja going to add 2 more songs in Hindi and english version of "Kamaraj" Source http://www.tamilcinema.com/

Oldposts
Finally at least one Tamil Film album for this year-2004 has been released... [Remember Virumaandi album was released last year and 'Pothuraju' a dubbed version of virumaandi in telugu and also 'shivashankar' in telugu were released this year] which proves that our King is at it again, with great Folk compositions that are going to be chartbusters in the coming days.

The album contains 7 songs in all. The details are as follows

1.Enna petha aatha - singer: Ilayaraja, Lyric: Ilayaraja
A fast paced folk number praising 'mookambigai'. The song reminds of some old IR composition and the recent KR number 'enga poi solluvaen' fro the movie ' kudaikul mazhai'. May be the tempo is similar but a very good song indeed.
2. Kaattu kili - singers: karthick, bavatharini lyric: vaali
Awesome melody based on folk music. This song is the one which will make us feel why there arent any other composer in this world to make us feel soothing when we listen to a song. Out of the world composition...
3.Otha rooba - singers: tippu, Malathi lyric: Muthulingam
Well you should have guessed it right from the choice of singers. This is a typical karakaattam song that we had been listening for years from IR. Lets move on to the next song...
4.Saada maada - singers: Vijay yesudas, Manjari Lyric: pazhani bharathi
This song is a also a scintillating melody with great interludes and preludes which will make us flow along the music, listen to get a feel of it.
5.Enga ooru laila- singers: Tippu, Manjari Lyric: Kamakodiyaan
Hmmm the song starts of with prelude making us to expect pathos with heavy percussions. Definitely the violin made me think that, but Raja from whom we have to expect the unexpected gives a dance number. The interludes and the tune are all reminding us the glorious Eighties when IR was at his composing best. Here again we can witness how much energy is left in him.
6.Kotti Vacha – Singer: Dr. Lavanya Lyric: Mu.Mehtha
This is the pathos, which I was expecting, and here comes Raja with heart moving rendition ohhh it made me cry at the first hearing with apt lyric and music. The play of flute and tabla, listening to this song right now as iam typing my fingers are shaking the choice of singer is also moving…. her voice has got that old chithra feel. The title credit shows only one singer but iam able to listen to two singers voice overlapping … technology hmmm. This song will be there in my IR sad songs collection forever henceforth…
7.Thanthanathom – Singers:Mano, Kovai Kamala, Dr.krudaya.C.Punniya, Dr. Muthu sella kumar
A standard villu paatu telling the story of a shiva bhaktans love Story. Not much in this…

After first listening my pick of the album in their rankings are
1.Kotti Vacha muthae
2.Kaatu kili
3.Saada maada
4.Enga ooru laila
5.Enna petha
6.Otha rooba
7.Thanthanathom

The orders may change after a few listening but 'Kotti vacha muthae' will remain on top forever for me…

Oldposts
Guys,
check out the top banner at http://tfmpage.com/forum/ for news on IR's GURU RAMANA GEETHAM album and exclusive clips.

Oldposts
http://www.vikatan.com/av/2004/dec/19122004/av0208a.asp (http://www.vikatan.com/av/2004/dec/19122004/av0208a.asp
)

...IR one among Vidyasagar's fav MD's. Looks like he worked with IR for 2years or so and got trained under same Dhanraj Master.

Oldposts
IR's bit song in YSR's 7G Rainbow Colony..

u can listen it here!
http://vikadan.blogspot.com/2004/12/bit-song.html (http://vikadan.blogspot.com/2004/12/bit-song.html
)

Oldposts
rajasaranam, is 'Karagattakari' the name of the album you were describing?

Does anyone want to comment on 'Vishwa Thulasi'?

I thought the songs were comme ci comme ca. Only the bit songs had IR's mark on them. But then, the songs by MSV have his mark on them.

Oldposts
purv, are you in Canada?

Oldposts
Viswa Thulasi is excellent need more different composing like these. Really not formulaic stuff. IR was tuning with MSV style, orchestration just right and light and native.

Great Work - to the Director.

Oldposts
enabler, MSV composed the tunes

Oldposts
No, I'm not in Canada. I just happen to know some French.

Oldposts
vijay, i think atleast a couple of tunes are IR. Also listened to Guru Ramana Geetham - really it is a consummate work - a great divine tribute to Ramana Maharishi.

Oldposts
Hi,
Its been a very long time since i posted a message here...

Now i wanted to share the beauty of Vishwa Thulasi songs.

Mind blowing, this cud be a single line statement reg the songs. Great Lyrics, kudos to IR and SumathyRam, the director. U got to see the movie to appreciate her efforts, further. Beautiful movie to watch. Especially the photography and BGM. WOW!!

En manamae, En manamae..... It takes you to the heights of ur peace of mind. Nice music arrangements, Tune, lyrics and the singing.

Nizhalin Kathai idhu..... SPB again!!! Not a great tune, but beautiful lyrics. Again a wonderful song.

Engu Piranthathu..... Again a WOW song!!! Raaja used Tipu in this album quite often. Good attempt. Nice melody voice.

Aaya Kalaikalin..... A typical MSV song!! Nice rendering by Srinivas. The Saranam parts are bit lengthy, IMHO. But nice "varnanai"s about a girl. Kudos to Sumathy Ram, the lyricist.

Kannamma..... SPB again. A kind of pathos. Good one. Must be tuned by MSV.

Kanavilaavathu..... Pathos one. Lyrics again....

Mayakkamaa..... Again a beutiful, mindblowing melody. excellent.

Thulasi..... rendered by tipu. Vaarthai thavarivittai(SETHU) kind of song. This comes at the end of film too....

Over all, beautiful album from the maestros. Hear the songs before u go to sleep. Melliya iruttil Raajavin isai kaetpathu oru paravasam!!!!!

Saran

Oldposts
Saran, are your comments based on the movie or the audio CD ? If its an audio CD, do the credits identify which are IR's songs and which are MSV's songs ?

Oldposts
IR has done it again in Karakattakkari. Simply saying - Nothing But excellent

Oldposts
It's interesting to note that this thread had all kinds of digressions for months (till a new album of IR is released)...now when one is released (karagAttakkAri), no one is bothered to use this thread but instead start 2,3 new threads on that:-)

Oldposts
I second that.

Why can't we dicuss all IR's new album related stuff here instead of starting a new thread every time IR signs a film or releases one?

This goes for ARR and other MD's as well.

Oldposts
eden
Relive BBC's coverage of wc83 in this 25min clip:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/cwc2003/spl/past_finals/html/1983.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/cwc2003/spl/past_finals/html/1983.stm
)

:-)

Oldposts
Folks,

Could someone tell me shops in Chennai where I can record Tamil Songs? (Any shop which has a pretty decent collection of the last 20 years..)

thanks.

Oldposts
Hi All,

There is a link which has external links to almost all of IR movie songs in mp3 format. Does anyone know that link? Please let me know.

Krishnan

Oldposts
geocities.com/ir_mp3

Oldposts
Thanks very much MumbaiRamki!!!

Krishnan

Oldposts
GUYS
WHAT DO U MEAN BY KARAGATTAKAARI ?? a female wood cutter ??
Also tell whats KARAGATTAKAARAN ??

"Sandamaada pechu kellam" SONG IS VERY NICE.......

Oldposts
Kiran
Are u kidding ??

Karakattam -It is a folk dance popular in SOuth Tamil Nadu villages .The artists dance with a pot on their head and dance to folkish songs ...

Karagattakaran - The male who dances Karagattam
Karragattakari - The female ""

Oldposts
Oh i see.....
ha ha haaa...

by the sound i thought some wood cutter ha ha ha

anyway songs are very nice.....simple village melodies that we can hear many times to refresh ourselves from work

Oldposts
Any info. on IR's music for Kamal's mumbai express.. seems that he is composing the songs in New York. Will IR to venture into Reggae, Rock, Jazz, Country and good old opera music and fuse it with our karnatic music? That brings to this question. Is there any chance for him to think on this line. He did so for fusing western classical music with our karnatic music. Will any of the HCIRF get his feedback on this?

Vignesh

Oldposts
Join my Yahoo Groups to get the BGMs of Poove Poochoodava and Pagal Nilavu.
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MaestroMagic/

Oldposts
Guys
KARAGATTAKAARAN songs are great great melodies....on repeated hearing.....

yahooo...IR put wings to my heart once again ....

HOPE DIRECTOR DOESNT KILL THEM WITH STUPID PICTURISATION JUST LIKE KONJIPESALAM DIRECTOR KILLED THOSE SONGS.......

Oldposts
Venkatesh,

"STATUTORY DISCLAIMER: These are for personal hearing only, not to be circulated. There is no commercial motive involved. The copyright vests with the Composer, Maestro Ilayaraja only."

Who are you to donate the copyright to IR..? :)
What about the producers ?
I suggest you to look in to this legally and then frame a proper disclaimer.

Oldposts
Raja
The rights of the BGM are there only with Illayraaja ,he has said in 1-2 interviews .It is also a known fact and also confirme dby him that he will not be releasing his BGMs ,atleast in the near future ..

Oldposts
Hi:

Today morning, in SCV, the song "Uravugal Thodarkadhai" was played. It said the music director was MSV. I thought it was Ilayaraja. Can someone clarify?

thanks.

Oldposts
Forgot to add the movie name in the previous post. It is "Aval Appadithaan".

thanks.

Oldposts
S

Music is by Ilaiyaraaja for Aval Appadi than. directed by Rudraiyaa.. another famous song in this movie is "Panneer Pushpangale" by Kamal

Oldposts
MumbaiRamki,

I thought MDs cannot possess copyrights on their work in films as they sell their service to the producers..If you are correct, then pardon my ignorance..
<a name="last"></a>

krish244
26th December 2004, 12:41 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TFM forum Admins and all involved in migrating to the new DF!

Hope this post of mine get to be seen!

Krishnan

NagaS
26th December 2004, 02:09 PM
any pointers to karakaattak kaari villup paattu song ?

(I am yet to get the cassette / CD as I am out of station now)

NagaS

Nitya
29th December 2004, 01:27 AM
On the whole, 'Vishwa Thulasi' IMO is hands down a better album than 'Karagattakari' in all respects. This is the way I see it: the songs for the former seem to come from the composers' hearts, whereas the songs in the latter seem to come from the dogma of graamathu kathaikal, even though I still maintain 'Sadamaada Pechukellaam' is a good number.

vel
30th December 2004, 04:48 PM
"Kotti vacha muthe en kuvichu vacha rathiname"...this one from karagattakari is a gem.

vem
30th December 2004, 08:00 PM
Sorry to inform that all songs from karagattakaari really suck big time !!!

A major disappointment. Songs can be found in musicindiaonline.com

arihantarihant007
3rd January 2005, 07:48 PM
:lol: :lol: 8) 8) :D :evil:

dis is cool!!

sudhakarg
9th January 2005, 02:29 AM
Is the thread alive? Or is it that I'm struggling with the new layout :-( Hav'nt seen this thread inactive for such a long time. Where are you folks????????????

Nitya
9th January 2005, 04:41 AM
What's new to discuss? I already given my opinion on 'Vishwa Thulasi' and 'Karagattakari.' I guess we're all waiting for IR's next Malayalam release. By the way, I hear that IR is scoring for 'Pachai Manithan,' which I hear is something of a documentary film.

crvenky
9th January 2005, 10:06 AM
What happened to the movie Uppu by K.Selvaraj?

eden
10th January 2005, 12:28 AM
There seems to be another Tamil film by name `mAnidan' bearing IR's name as MD...

Cinefan
10th January 2005, 11:06 AM
eden,you are right.it stars Meena&a couple of new guys.

Nitya
11th January 2005, 01:42 AM
Hey, the songs in 'Ponmudi Puzhayoram' are now available at musicindiaonline. Problem is, I couldn't play the songs on my web browser. :-( Oh well, maybe later on...

Nitya
11th January 2005, 04:00 AM
Alright... now I'm listening to the songs in 'Ponmudi Puzhayoram.' Sadly, they don't sound too fresh; the orchestration is repetitive and cheesy (trying to sound Westernized, with overemphasis on computerized music). Furthermore, the tunes don't really offer anything new; IR hasn't used any raagas other than the hackneyed Keeravaani, Mohanam, Mayamaalavagowla, and Sudhadhanyaasi. 'Maan Kutti' and 'Naadhaswaram Ketto' are nice melodies, to be fair. But even so, the only song that really sounds up to par is the Ilayaraja solo, 'Pandathe Nadhapuram', which has some haunting violin (?) passages.

Vijay buddy, if you depreciated the songs in 'Manasinakkare,' I can't imagine you would appreciate the songs in this album, which sound even less inspired and even more formulaic.

vijayr
11th January 2005, 11:53 PM
"Vijay buddy, if you depreciated the songs in 'Manasinakkare,' I can't imagine you would appreciate the songs in this album, which sound even less inspired and even more formulaic."

Nitya(formerly purv?), as far as new albums of IR are concerned, I have come to a stage where I dont check them out automatically aymore unless otherwise I hear uniformly good reviews from anyone. I probably listen to a song or two at the most. The last 2 years have been rank-bad for IR albums and its getting worse. Lets see what Mumbai Express has in store. But he seems to have lost inspiration in MFM too. Sad. And why is KJY and Vijay Yesudoss(who doesnt sound any better than his aged dad) being repeatedly used? Dont they have any other male voices around in Kerala?

Secondly I differ from you in that I dont consider mere usage of a rare raga as a mark of inspired work. IR could still use the same "hackneyed" ragas that you mention and can still come up with inspired numbers. If you listen to "Guru" you will see my point. Most ragas in that album have been used hundreds of times before but yet overall its a great album. So its not just the scale, overall the work seems less inspired and the presentation out-dated. The freshness present in Yaathramozhi and Guru have been missing for a looong time.

I am surprised because, for someone who is working on something as serious as TIS, I thought it would atleast reflect a bit on his filmi compositions,kind of like a mild hangover, but it hasnt so far. In fact the effect has been reverse.

natha1729
12th January 2005, 01:16 AM
Ponmuid Puzhayoram is interesting and energetic, not bad at all. A couple of songs are vibrant, rest will take time to find favor. Exciting music composing is all about people, a certain sense of stabilty and inspiring moments. IR still has those elements around like Kamal, Tamil Maiyyam, many new admirers in foreigners, etc... Creative artistes can only achieve so much in a vacuum, to sustain that creativity further they need a lot of support....

I expect a lot of Mumbai Express, film and music. Nothing less.... (by the way, any news of Divorce / Moods of IR?)

Nitya
12th January 2005, 01:18 AM
Vijay, that's right. I was formerly 'purv;' as you can see I've matured. :-) Well, you're right that raaga doesn't make or break a song; I can name lots of great songs in Mohanam, Keeravaani or Aabheri raagam. In fact, in my opinion, 'Sadamaada Pechukellaam' in Karagattakari was a fresh composition (sadly the only fresh composition in the album IMHO), and that is set to Mohana raagam. 'Malargalile Aaraadhanai,' 'Malayoram Veesum Kaathu,' 'Aagaaya Thaamarai' are all great songs in Keeravaani raagam. As for Mayamaalavagowla, there are also a lot of wonderful songs, eg., 'Poonkathave Thol Seravaa', 'Madhurai Marikkozhunthu', 'Anbe Vaa Anbe Vaa', and more.

On the other hand, some songs in less conventional raagas (as far as films are concerned) such as Aarabhi, Bhoopaalam or Lathaangi or even rarer raagas not used often in either films or Karnatik concerts like Swarnangi, Champakamali (Ni3 counterpart of Malayamaarutham), or Veenavadhini can be harrowing to listen to, as these raagams certainly take some skill to handle melodiously.

So then, which Malayalam male singers would you rather hear than KJY or VY? Biju Narayanan? Unnimenon? G Venugopal? MG Sreekumar?

Finally, I wasn't just referring to the raaga of the songs in 'Ponmudi Puzhayorathu,' but also to the orchestration, tunes and overall presentation. If you feel like praising the usage of Western fusion in the songs in this album, I suggest you listen to the song 'Omane Thankame' from Ravindran's 'Mizhirandilum,' a song I feel has used Western fusion far more expertly.

Regards,
Nitya

cry_sandiego
12th January 2005, 12:45 PM
Nitya/Purv and Vijay,

Good discussion.. But let me look at this from a different angle ( no way defending IR or disputing your views )

"All good things have to come to an end " is a universal fact..IMHO, you guys have always looked at the high bar that IR has set himself.. But i guess it does not make any sense to expect every single album to be at or over the same bar.. It's one thing to have some expectation but comparing his every composition to the best of his compositions seems like an incomplete thing to do..

I listened to Karagaattagari songs and nothing stood out even after a few listenings.. (After Purv's comment, i am inclined to go and listen " Sada mada " song again) ..but i then I was not expecting it to be as good as Karagattakaran.. so it did not come out as a big dissappointment for me..

I have a lot of expectations for TIS and I am sure IR will not dissappoint.. But to expect Karagattagari and other mundane TFM albums to be gems, i guess is not right.. IMHO .

Then the question is - he was able to give fabulous gems for similar mundane Ramaraajan movies years ago .. Yes True.. but then that was a point in his career as he was growing or reigning the TFM.. but in my view, other than making some money or as a personal obligation to the crew involved in that movie, i do not see any motivation for him to even compose a song ..Vijay, I am surprised that you expect IR to be fresh after 850+ movies and 25+ years of FM :-))).. In all our admiration for his abilities and what he has created so far, we seem to forget that he too is a human and is ageing.

If you are commenting about the quality of TIS then its a different thing.. THis is one project where he has repeatedly said that he is so interested in doing it , it was his lifetime dream etc .etc and has put in so much efforts....

For example, you cannot expect Sachin to play like he used to in his prime.. You cannot expect KJY to sing Poo maalai vaangi vanthaan or SPB to sing "Ilamai ennum poongatru: again like that.. Everyone has their peak and after that it is just a matter of tiem before they fade away..

Now you would ask, then why does he accept movies..who knows-- like i said - money , personal or other reasons..

All i am saying is I am glad that he is still playing and atleast scoring a century occassionally :-).. Virumaandi and Konji Pesalaam will stay in my memory for a long time..

"Aathaara Sruthi " from KP and Unna Vida from Virumaandi are such a fabulous song.. I would not mind trying 4-5 albums of his to hear one /two such gems..

Just sharing thoughts guys.

CHeers
MSK

vijayr
12th January 2005, 11:57 PM
MSK, he is doing less albums these days(less than 5 last year), so I dont think its all that unfair to expect atleast 1 great song/album and I havent gotten that so far in Karagattakaari or other movies. But the truth is I am not expecting big things out of him anymore in TFM or MFM, so anything good from him will be a pleasant surprise and anything medicore is not a big disappointment anymore. The bar has been lowered already as far as I am concerned. In fact it has been lowering for the last 10 years or so. I just thought TIS work might have had a slight hangover onto his film albums, but thats not been the case. I guess he just sleepwalks through TFM these days unless otherwise it happens to be Kamal or someone big he is working with.

Nitya
13th January 2005, 12:24 AM
What's really a wonder to me is, why does IR insist on doing movies with ageing actors? That might make for his lack of effort in the songs... and it may be just my feelings. Or maybe, he's just plain past his prime. Too bad there's no one to take his place; his sons haven't shown even 1/5 of IR's class in the 70s to mid-90s (with a possible exception of KR's 'Dum Dum Dum'). But come to soft, melodious numbers, forget it! They haven't shown they can come up with a song nearly as melodious as 'Malargalil Aadum Ilamai Puthumayi' or 'Kaathalin Dheepam Ondru!'

But I still can't understand why he undertakes a project like 'Ponmudi Puzhayorathu' and then presents such tried and tested fourth-rate content. Come on, the style of orchestration seen in this album is synonymous to that he was doing back in 1997! Even though 'Naadhaswaram Ketto' and 'Maan Kutti' ('Pudhuppatti Ponnuthaayi' leftovers??) have some catchy moments, they're nothing new. They're synonymous to other recent IR songs like 'Iniya Nadhi' (Manasellaam), 'Vayasu Pulla' (Annan), etc., etc., etc. But the really sad thing is, it's the whole TFM and MFM industries that are seeing an altogether lack of inspiration. I got a chance to see one or two songs in 'Kaathal', by Joshua Sridhar; they're anything but fresh. Maybe this will change in the future... hopefully... hopefully...

Regards,
Nitya

rajasaranam
13th January 2005, 12:43 AM
MSK,

this is what all are doing comparing IR with IR and coming to a conclusion that his present albums are not up to the mark. If at all these people try to compare IR with present genre of composers they will find IR's albums far more refreshing than these composers.

Nitya
13th January 2005, 03:43 AM
There's some truth in that, RS. For example, I was just listening to the songs in Dancer (Praveen Mani is MD), and the songs don't even sound Indian, nor is there any real continuity in the tunes. It's really unfortunate that none of the upcoming MDs are composing INDIAN MUSIC; it seems all they can do is cut and paste (please let me know if I am wrong). Even Vidhyasagar rips tunes and/or instrumental arrangements off from other composers!

Cinefan
13th January 2005, 11:12 AM
from the time the new 'tfmpage' has come up,what's happening in this thread is a real discussion.keep it up guys&continue.i am waiting for the day when all the old posters &old times come back or am I expecting too much?

mythila
13th January 2005, 07:04 PM
The single important factor that has taken a severe beating today is consistency which was once a hallmark of composers like msv or IR of yesteryears. One has to sift through mounds of chaff to pick up even a stray hear-worthy song like "malargale" from Pudukottai Saravanan or "NINAITthu ninaithu" (7grc) or Vidhyasagar's "vizhiyil vizhiyil". Barring ARR to some extent, no MD's name guarantees quality. TFM degeneration is complete .Wondering what eternal optimists like Udhaya feel. Tfm buffs like me have to be contented with older songs or start looking elsewhere.

Nitya
13th January 2005, 09:07 PM
Mythila, you could start looking at Malayalam film music; that's exactly what I'm doing, and have been doing for the past two years. Right now I am listening to the songs in the just-released 'Mayukham' by Bombay Ravi. God, it's like a breath of fresh air!

Saagar
16th January 2005, 01:53 AM
IR's new Album for the Sathyan Anhthikkad movie (MFM) in progress, will be the one to look out for... after the award winning Manasinakkare & the earlier good KKS.

Nitya
16th January 2005, 05:56 AM
Saagar, isn't its name something like 'Mayamohithachan' (pls. forgive me if this isn't a real word in the Malayalam lexicon; I don't know the Malayalam language)?

vem
18th January 2005, 06:02 PM
Kamal says IR has given apt music in ME in cinesouth.com.

multinamatheyan
19th January 2005, 02:20 AM
Tamilcinema.com says Fazil is in Madras and He and Raja are busy composing music for Fazil's next Tamil venture starring Srikanth

kiru
19th January 2005, 05:28 AM
I just replied to Ahmed about IR and malayalam in another thread and at his prompting I listened to 'pon mudi ..".
Unfortunately, you guys are almost right about 'Ponmudi".. Not much freshness, in the tune or in the orchestration. Too many cliched phrases for instruments and tunes. ammaiyennu has a sEthu hangover, oru chiri kandaal's prelude has been heard earlier.
Still, I think the album is good, but no Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal beater. One good thing is, I see IR confidently using the drum machine and the orchestration especially wrt rhythm programming has no rough edges and the whole song gives the feeling of IR having done it patiently and confidently. This is usually not the case with certain tamil releases. Using the drum machine and not resorting to tabla is a must for being commercially viable these days. IR has been consistently using the drum machine in malayalam effectively to back his melodies. So this is a good development (including the use of electronic bass).
It is quite one or two songs from ponmudi will be popular hits.

Unlike you guys I dont expect major hits from IR in every consecutive album. The reasons are numerous. But I am unable to listen to other MDs (I mean newer) work. I go back to older albums of IR.

nkv
19th January 2005, 08:50 AM
The new mallu movie from IR is 'Achuvinte Amma'. The album is about to release.

All IR fans, forget abt 'mayamohithachandran'. The film will never see daylight, for its almost 2 years after its completion.. And our IR songs will also go unnoticed..

Between, 'oru chiri kandal' from 'Ponmudippuzhayorathu' is a good number in Mayamalavagoula.. To add on to the countless songs given by IR in this raagam..

RR
19th January 2005, 09:46 AM
I just replied to Ahmed about IR and malayalam in another thread and at his prompting I listened to 'pon mudi ..".
kiru & others: just a quick tip. On this new DF, it's possible to link to specific posts! How to find this link? In Full/Default view, each post will start with a small 'document icon' and the text 'Posted.... <the date time info>..'. Right click on the small icon and 'Copy shortcut'. That will be your link! You can use it anywhere you want to refer to a specific post. You can even use it as a hyperlink from remote sites (e.g personal home pages)!

NagaS
19th January 2005, 11:59 AM
When I went to Riyadh last month, I had to watch "Kochu Kochu SanthoshangaL", because the other tamil movie in the flight was not working. So I thought of watching only the songs / picturisation and skip the others, (ofcourse, I don't understand malayalam, especially when the actors speak very fast :)

But I must say, I was pulled into the movie within the first half an hour or so. Its a plain story, regular (read as 'sentimental' :)) scenes / dialogues, no fancy attempts wrt picturisation of songs, But the screenplay and the performance of jayaram and kavya madhavan (?) was really good, I enjoyed the movie a lot - not only for IR's excellent songs / BGM.

NagaS

cry_sandiego
20th January 2005, 11:12 AM
Help Please

What is this latest(?) Malayalam album by IR.. I bought the cassette in India without knowing the movie name and it does not have the title written in English on the Label.. All i can read was Directed by " Johnny Esthappan " i guess.

Any clues..

MSK

NagaS
20th January 2005, 05:34 PM
MSK,

it must be "Ponmudipuzhayoraththu" - its director name is "Johnson Esthappan"

NagaS

cry_sandiego
26th January 2005, 02:34 AM
Guys,

I am just catching up on IR's Mal Albums.. Dunno when these 2 albums were released.. and I am sure you guys have discussed these already..

#1. Manasinnakinare : This one has 4 really really good songs.. I liked the " Nellaiyonnu paadi " , "Thanga thingal ", "Chellakanne " and " Marakizhayil " songs..

Asha G Menon ( dunno if she is a new singer or a popular one in MFM ) has sung a couple of these songs and I would say she has done a really good job. The humming in the "Nellaionnu " song is awesome guys.. Especially the Pallavi line " Kannil ulla oru oothave and Chundil ulla siri maarathe " - I got hooked the very first time..

If you have not listened to these pls give it a try. 4 out of 5 are really good. The fifth one is not bad too.

#2. Ponmudipuzhayoraththu ( Thanks Nagas ) : This one I have just started listening this morning.. IR and Vithu Prathap have sung a few songs..And Bhavatharinin too. Except for 2 songs nothing stood out in the first go.

I will write more on this album after a few more listens.

Anyone know when these albums were released.

Cheers
MSK

cry_sandiego
26th January 2005, 02:37 AM
Hmmm..I am still getting used to this new format of DF and my new Opera Browser.. My apologies for multiple posts..

MSK

tmrrmt
29th January 2005, 11:20 AM
Guys - I recently listened to the full version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons -

Oh, boy! the latter portion(s) of Spring is rich in emotions and IR pretty used his strings to bring out emotions in a similar fashion !

As I was listening to Vivaldi, the music invoked and stoked emotions I have not known before - something that only IR music has done to me before

and again, I happened to watch 007's "Live and Let Die", released in 1973 - a comic caper based on Ian Fleming's novel of the same name - featuring Sir.Roger Moore as 007, the film has a catchy title song, rendered by Paul and Linda McCartney and the group Wings -

I beleive such a song is quite popular even now - IR can compose something like this in his sleep -

How i am pining to listen to TiS

Sanjeevi
30th January 2005, 04:31 PM
When TiS audio will be released?

Can anybody tell?

NagaS
31st January 2005, 12:26 PM
BM's next movie 'adhu oru kanaakkaalam' is finished - dhanush mentioned it in his interview on suntv, may be the album will be released soon !

This is BM's first 70 MM movie :)

NagaS

Cinefan
31st January 2005, 04:03 PM
NagaS,Is that movie also slated for a April 14th release?I hope not,the kind of movies BM makes needs a free run without competition from a Rajni,Kamal,Vikram&Vijay.

BTW,when is the music out,IR generally gives fantastic songs to BM.

Sanjeevi
31st January 2005, 04:52 PM
I have much expectations on 'Athu oru kana kalam' album.
After virumandi what a long gap.

Sanjeevi
31st January 2005, 04:56 PM
Previous issue of India today praises YSR as a young talent.
Current issue of India today praises IR as a legend.

But the only 'varutham' is IR is not placed in front page. But YSR was in front page on previous issue.

Thanks for India-Today

NagaS
31st January 2005, 05:32 PM
NagaS,Is that movie also slated for a April 14th release?I hope not,the kind of movies BM makes needs a free run without competition from a Rajni,Kamal,Vikram&Vijay.

You are right, But I think Dhanush mentioned it as an 'april release' only ... Not sure !

But if we think practically, If the film shooting is over, may be post production works will be for next couple of weeks (assuming IR doesn't go to a foreign country for BGM :)), and film should be ready by feb end. Why they should wait for 6 weeks to competete with dhanush's maama and other stars ? :)

NagaS

cry_sandiego
31st January 2005, 08:50 PM
Hi Nagas,

Info Please ..Is " ManasinnaKinare " Audio CD available in B'lore. Please let me know .. i will be in B'lore next month and would like to get one.

Thanks
MSK

vijayr
31st January 2005, 10:46 PM
Lot of announcements but no releases yet. What happened to Mayamohithachandran, Divorce etc.?

Here is another new one, a Tamil remake of a Malayalam hit "Kasthuri maan"
http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/livewire.asp?n=lohitha29.txt

NagaS
1st February 2005, 11:34 AM
MSK,

Info Please ..Is " ManasinnaKinare " Audio CD available in B'lore. Please let me know .. i will be in B'lore next month and would like to get one.

Yes, it is available in music world and planetM - you will see IR's big picture on the front cassette cover itself, you can't miss it :)

NagaS

NagaS
1st February 2005, 11:37 AM
Here is another new one, a Tamil remake of a Malayalam hit "Kasthuri maan"
http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/livewire.asp?n=lohitha29.txt

Hmm, very interesting, IR's music in tamil only (not for the original I suppose) and JayaMohan as dialogue writer ... I am interested in watching this movie for more than one reason(s) :)

NagaS

NagaS
1st February 2005, 11:38 AM
Another link for Kasthoori Maan

http://www.dinakaran.com/weekly/tamil/arangam/2005/Feb/01/kasth.html

Cinefan
1st February 2005, 11:58 AM
NagaS, you are right by asking why anyone will wait for 6 weeks to release a completed movie&get into unnecessary competition but generally producers shy away from releasing a movie in Feb/March because it's exam time(expect for Engg/Medical students)&so the main audience for films(esp for a movie like this :) )will have more imp things on mind.If at all it's an April release,they should release it by that month end when the results of the new year releases will be out.

NagaS
1st February 2005, 12:44 PM
wow ... thats neat logic - you must be a producer cinefan :)

Who knows ? Dhanush may think his movie should be released along with rajni, kamal, vijay, ajith, vikram etc., because he is also in that 'level' :-?

NagaS

k_vanan
1st February 2005, 01:29 PM
here the another IR new movie under production which will realese in hindi, malayalam, telugu and tamil "twinkle twinkle little star"
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=13659898

Cinefan
1st February 2005, 03:50 PM
Naga,Solla Mudiyathu Dhanush appadi neneChallum Aacharyam illai :) But 2004 was a flop year for him professionally&BM has 34years of experience in the industry.I really hope they think practically instead of trying to prove a point.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/moviewallpapers/7256.html

'Athu oru kana kalam'-Wall papers

http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/review.php?cid=2428

Review of Sathyan Anthikkad's 'Achuvinte Amma'with Urvashi as Amma&Meera Jasmine as Achu.It's says IR's music does not create an impact.

vijayr
1st February 2005, 08:49 PM
"Review of Sathyan Anthikkad's 'Achuvinte Amma'with Urvashi as Amma&Meera Jasmine as Achu.It's says IR's music does not create an impact."

Since Kochu Kochu santhoshangal IR has'nt been alive in MFM. I wouldnt be surprised if Achuvinte amma was a dud too like his previous 2 albums

MumbaiRamki
1st February 2005, 11:31 PM
CIneFan ,

Iam surprised by this comment - AA has teh best song IR has composed by raaja in teh past 10 years - The best !!!!!

However teh album as a whole ,ye si agree it si snot teh best - But that song by Yesudas and Manjari is out of the world !!!!You can see the 1980 s raaja !!!

hera it on http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/20/s/movie_name.7726/ ( Swasthin Thaalam)

MumbaiRamki
1st February 2005, 11:33 PM
CInefan ,
Enna solreenga
Friends and Manasiknnare were big hits in Mallu .....

Manasinkaare - IR got the Mallu award for that !!

cry_sandiego
2nd February 2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Nagas,

Thanks. I already have the Manasinnakinare casette. I need the CD. do they have the CD.

THx
MSK

tmrrmt
2nd February 2005, 11:12 AM
Guys, the more I listen to Vivaldi's compositions, the more I get the feeling that, more than Bach, it is Vivaldi with whom IR has been greatly smitten with love !

or is it perhaps both Vivaldi and Bach come from the Baroque period of classical music ? !

tmrrmt
2nd February 2005, 11:15 AM
"or is it perhaps both Vivaldi and Bach come from the Baroque period of classical music ? !" in the above posting should read as 'or is it perhaps because, both Vivaldi and Bach come from the Baroque period of classical music?!"

NagaS
2nd February 2005, 12:11 PM
I already have the Manasinnakinare casette. I need the CD. do they have the CD.

Let me check MSK - I am not sure now ...

NagaS

Renault
3rd February 2005, 03:07 PM
Guys,

Any idea when Adhu Oru Kanaa Kaalam cassette will be released?

Cinefan
3rd February 2005, 04:45 PM
http://www.thatstamil.com/specials/cinema/cassete-review/karaga.html

'Karagattakkari'-Music Review

rajasaranam
3rd February 2005, 10:25 PM
Thanx for the link cinefan,

the review was refreshing :-)

i happend to watch a song from 'Achuvinte amma' in kiran TV today the song went like this 'thaamara kuruvikku thattavidu... the song was great to listen

The comment by the VJ after the song over was more refreshing to listen ... it went something like this 'Eee chitram all over kerala super hit success aayi... chitram kaana theatre vandu janangal ticket kittamal thirichi povaam, thrichi vandu thirichi poi thirichi vandu... ithae nadannu all over keralavilae.. :-).
i understand malayalam perfectly but not able to reproduce it exactly:-( but he meant the music and movie is big hit and a roaring success all over kerala

multinamatheyan
4th February 2005, 12:28 AM
Why are the janagal going to Trichy? :D

Sanjeevi
7th February 2005, 01:53 PM
IR's new movie is
Kasthurimaan (direction by mallu director logidoss)
starring meera jasmine

Nitya
8th February 2005, 07:33 AM
"IR's new movie is
starring meera jasmine"

Isn't there already a movie by the same name that released no more than two years ago? It's one of the best, if not the best soundtrack of MD Ouseppachan since 2000, I might add.

In regards to 'Achuvinte Amma,' which I don't reckon I ever commented on thus far, the songs (I believe there are only three original ones) definitely sound better orchestrated than those in 'Ponmudi Puzhayorathu', but in the way of freshness, not much of an improvement.

kiru
8th February 2005, 08:42 AM
Folks,
Achuvinte amma is very good. Probably not completely fresh (as Nitya points out) as after 4000 songs, it is probably getting very difficult for IR to come out with a new phrase or probably this is what makes a creative process a creative process..it is like a sport..you need to be skilled, motivated and energised, but still your performance is not guaranteed.
Again, this does not beat Kochu kochu ..that album had two fantastic fresh groovy numbers and two classical numbers. This one has two good melodies, and one fun song which is kind of not that fresh.
People should just listen to this album, because each song has an intro by the director who refers to IR as , "shri ilaiyaraaja' once and once as 'raaja sir'. In the Intro, the director, plays the tune making sessions. You can see IR getting the tune, backing orchestration and even a bit of lyrics all together one shot (maybe after a few tries, but all come together). IR sings 'snehathin' which the lyricist goes for 'shwasathin thaalam' but he does use it as 'snehathin pookkaalam' later one. IR starts off with 'maina kuruvikku' which gets recorded as 'thaamara kuruvikku'. The director says, he picked 'enthu paranjyalum' out of 3 tunes. These tune setting sessions are really fascinating. Check out the album.

BTW, tamil is a beautiful language, our current state of lyrics in TFM never give this impression. Listen to the related malayalam souding so poetic..just like the way tamil lyrics should be..

swasathin thaalam thennal (thenRal) aRiyumO poonthennal aRiyumO
mounathin naadham veenai ariyumO madi veenai aRiyumO
mazhai nanaincha poo marangal manasu pola pookkugaiyo
mozhi marantha vakkugalal kavithai ..paadugaiyo
snehathin pook kaalam....

Cinefan
8th February 2005, 11:01 AM
Nithya,
The malayalam film 'kasturimaan'is being remade in Tamil with Meera jasmine in the title role&Lohitdas as director being retained from the original.

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13664872

crvenky
8th February 2005, 11:24 AM
Kiru,
Shwasathin thalam is a very very fresh tune. For this song, I liked the playing of tune in IR's harmonium very much than even the song. He played a different rhythm in harmonium. Does Thamara kuruvikku song has any mappla tunes as claimed by the director? I could not find.

NagaS
8th February 2005, 12:10 PM
who was the MD of 'kasthuri maan' in Malayalam ? What abt the songs ? Story has scope for good muzik ?

NagaS

chandroo
8th February 2005, 03:11 PM
Has anybody listened to 'The Elephunk Theme' by Black Eyed Peas?

Neat remix of Enakkum Unakkum from Sree raghavendra!

Cinefan
8th February 2005, 03:28 PM
"IR's new movie is
starring meera jasmine"

Isn't there already a movie by the same name that released no more than two years ago? It's one of the best, if not the best soundtrack of MD Ouseppachan since 2000, I might add.

In regards to 'Achuvinte Amma,' which I don't reckon I ever commented on thus far, the songs (I believe there are only three original ones) definitely sound better orchestrated than those in 'Ponmudi Puzhayorathu', but in the way of freshness, not much of an improvement.

NagaS,the above quote should answer your question.

NagaS
8th February 2005, 04:25 PM
Cinefan,

technology-layae adikkaReenga :) Thanks :)

NagaS

Cinefan
8th February 2005, 04:36 PM
Naga :) :)

cry_sandiego
8th February 2005, 07:16 PM
Kiru,

I have the same impression about Malayalam lyrics.. YOu could see very few non-mallu words ( i mean english ) and it makes the song so native and authentic. unlike the tamil lyrics .. I do not know abt non-IR Mal albums in this regard. But i always find MFM albums of IR to be very good in lyrics..atleast to the extent i understand Mal :-)

On a side note, Even in regular Mal conversations say on Surya /Kairali TV etc, I see the anchors using very few english words compared to the thamil kaavalrgals in SUN and other tamil channels.

Cheers
MSK

cry_sandiego
8th February 2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Nitya,

No offense meant.. What do yo mean by saying the songs are not fresh. I guess are you looking for a scale that has not been used by him before or a creative way of handling an already used scale or something in orchestration or using new/traditional instruments..

Just curious .. From a layman's point of view, i thought when you say fresh, you do not get reminded of another song when you listen to it. For ex, the moment i listen to a Deva /SAR song, there is a very good chance that before i get to the second interlude, my mind starts searching the database for a old song that matches exactly..

Cheers
MSK

vijayr
8th February 2005, 10:10 PM
"For ex, the moment i listen to a Deva /SAR song, there is a very good chance that before i get to the second interlude, my mind starts searching the database for a old song that matches exactly.. "

MSK, thats the way I felt about all songs in Kaasi and some of the recent albums. The feeling that you have already heard it before. Its not just about using a new scale or rhythm pattern. Even using the same raga that he has done several times before he still came up with fresh tunes for Yaathramozhi/Guru and to a certain extent Kochu Kochu santhoshangal. The overall presentation(which was fresh in those albums) is missing in almost all of his recent albums. For example "Piraye piraye" resembles Puththam pudhu poo poothadho in more than a few places. Another song "thalaattum kaatre( a harharan number from some film) resembles mayiloram mayile and so on. You can sense a distinct lack of inspiration in his works, especially if you have heard his music long enough and have a certain sense/feel for his style of music and for music in general.

I havent listened to Achuvinte amma yet but Ponmudi Puzhayorathu and Manasinakkare were duds mostly.

Karagattakaari is pretty medicore stuff. Deva could have come up with those tunes in his sleep. In fact in the mid-90s Deva was actually giving better tunes than IR. One shouldnt be doing films like this at this stage in his career. I am disappointed that IR still accepts movies like this.

cry_sandiego
9th February 2005, 12:03 AM
Vijay,

Lack of inspiration -- I agree. But i do see a reason for it and i have said that before.. so let us not get into that again :-)

I also agree with Ponmudi Puzhayprathu.. But I was pretty impressed with Manasinnakkare.. atleast 2 songs were really good.. - Mellaiyonnu and Thangathingal Vaanil - atleast i could not see them as re-hashes..do you think so.

Cheers
MSK

Vazhipokkan
9th February 2005, 12:24 AM
IR's salary is Rs 1.5 million. But for Mumbai Express Kamal has paid IR a whopping Rs 2.5 million.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/cn/cn_home.asp?issuedate=2/8/2005&secid=2

kiru
9th February 2005, 05:20 AM
Kiru,
Shwasathin thalam is a very very fresh tune. For this song, I liked the playing of tune in IR's harmonium very much than even the song. He played a different rhythm in harmonium. Does Thamara kuruvikku song has any mappla tunes as claimed by the director? I could not find.

Venky, I do like the song. No, I am not listening to Deva :-).
I think IR is playing the same notes as with the harmonium, but he added some counterpoints. Maybe, you dont like the single note harmonies which are played on the synth keyboard, for the first few lines of the pallavi. The orchestration is done fully using the synth :-( and style wise is very similar to niRam piriththu in time.
The song though reminds me of some MSV tune (during the charanams) , even the first interlude seems like that.

IR goes to extremes with anything, he is using full electronic sounds in atleast one song in a movie. The approach seems to be that of Enya and Vangelis - push the limits of electronic sounds in a composition. The idea is not to give a different flavor of a real instruments, but actually a different sound for a note. In this song, notice, the single note harmonies and the "wow, wow" sounds.
(Another eg. oLiyilE therivadhu in azhagi has an pure acoustic counterpart in the BGM, very western classical sounding. I wish I heard that kind of sound with the song).

(I mention Enya because I see direct references to Enya :-) in KR - IR's collaborators work).

NagaS
9th February 2005, 11:47 AM
'thaalaattum katRe' ? are you talking abt the song by shankar mahadevan in the movie poovellaam un vaasam ? that was by VidyaSagar.

Reg., IR's recent albums, I have a few points (purely my opinion, I am not trying to prove anything here :))

1. If he does karakaattakkaari kind of movies for that 1.5 million rupees, I think we can't say its wrong. Afterall, its good money with less effort / time and he is using his 'fluency' that he developd all these years to finish such albums fast and earn something - whats wrong ? are we going to pay him that 1.5 million if we object him picking those songs ? (Its like jayamohan writing vasanam for a kaathal movie, or balakumaran writing for manmadhan :)

2. Even if we are talking about 'freshness', I think something should be there in the movie to inspire the MD, if the movie is good and the music is not upto the mark, we can say IR failed - to my knowledge, whenever there is a 'challenging' script, IR gives his best and there is no doubt abt it. From the day he became a 'notable' MD of TFM, tll date, Even in the last few years, I don't remember an instance, where the movie had scope for good music and IR gave second rate songs ! He always tries his best and obviously, he is not getting Sindhu Bairavi / GuNa kind of movies everyday !

3. I am expecting a lot from Balu Mahendra's 'Athu oru Kanaak kaalam' and Fazil's next movie.

NagaS

RR
9th February 2005, 01:51 PM
'thaalaattum katRe' ? are you talking abt the song by shankar mahadevan in the movie poovellaam un vaasam ? that was by VidyaSagar.
NagaS, ithu adhigam.. :P I think vijay is referring to the Devan song.

NagaS
9th February 2005, 02:01 PM
hihihi ... antha 'thaalaattum kaatRe'vum avar sonna tune maathirithaanbaa irunthathu :-D (Enakku meesaiyae illai, So maN ottalaiyaakkum :->)

NagaS

Cinefan
9th February 2005, 04:41 PM
3. I am expecting a lot from Balu Mahendra's 'Athu oru Kanaak kaalam' and Fazil's next movie.

NagaS

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13666900

More on Fazil's next movie.

Even I am eagerly awaiting the music for the two movies Naga has mentioned above.As for 'Mumbai Xpress',I am more interested in the movie than the music&also at the reception it will have at the BO(esp in Hindi)clashing with all the biggies.

NagaS
9th February 2005, 04:55 PM
As for 'Mumbai Xpress',I am more interested in the movie than the music

Ditto :) and I will be happier if Im proven wrong by IR :)

NagaS

Cinefan
9th February 2005, 05:00 PM
Yes Naga,I won't complain if IR gives good music to the film but somehow you feel it's not the kind of movie which warrants an outstanding musical score.

vijayr
9th February 2005, 09:28 PM
"If he does karakaattakkaari kind of movies for that 1.5 million rupees, I think we can't say its wrong. Afterall, its good money with less effort / time and he is using his 'fluency' that he developd all these years to finish such albums fast and earn something - whats wrong ? are we going to pay him that 1.5 million if we object him picking those songs ? (Its like jayamohan writing vasanam for a kaathal movie, or balakumaran writing for manmadhan"

Nagas, neenga solradhu, "what is wrong in IR doing bad albums, he has a right to do it"nu sola maari irukku :-) True he has a right to do whatever he wants for that matter. As a fan I am expressing my opinions/comments/sentiments on his products, thats all. I am not demanding that he shouldnt accept such movies.Its his right after all. I am just dissapointed by his decision. I thought I was clear about it in my previous post.

"Even if we are talking about 'freshness', I think something should be there in the movie to inspire the MD, if the movie is good and the music is not upto the mark, we can say IR failed"

well my stance is, if the movie doesnt inspire him to do good music, then why does he accept it in the first place, especially at this stage of his career(when he has done 800+ movies and has already earned a lot of money). Its obvious that he is doing it just for cash and nothing else like you said and thats what is sad (Its bad work ethics as well when you get paid 15 lakhs and dont give your best). There are instances of this happening even as early as 1987 but thats a different issue.

vijayr
9th February 2005, 09:35 PM
"Even in the last few years, I don't remember an instance, where the movie had scope for good music and IR gave second rate songs !"

NagaS, thats true for every big MD since the 40s..not just IR :-) But IMO Pithamagan and Virumandi, both good films, had very average songs. Re-recording was probably good. MagaLir mattum was another Kamal production that had horrible songs.

ahmedrockinblues
10th February 2005, 12:57 AM
Vijay dear,how can u just call music in movies like Virumaandi and Pithamagan average!!! that was a bit too much.For instance the 'karumathoor kattukkulle 'song from virumaandi,who else can compose such a complex piece of music elaborating a legend as auhtentically as Raja.The 'Elangaathu veesude' is melody that wafts like a cool breeze,i havent heard such honest and innocent melody creation for a long time,something tamil film music has completely lost since the last 7-10 years.Maybe the definition of above an average song is something else these days...is it 'appdi podu podu' or 'manmada raasa'??if the 'onna vida' song from virumaandi was sung by anyone other than kamal,history would ve been different.Talking about 'magalir mattum' which was a laugh riot(that was the intention i believe) had no scope for serious compositions and raja gave exactly what he was asked,copmletely comic yet a cut above the usual cacophony.Almost all the songs had 3 dimensions repreasenting the 3 protagonists..i donno what makes it horrible.The tape released by AVM audio was of very good quality too..normally i used to get very bad copies from AVM those days like Pavithrans I love India and kamals Magaraasan

kiru
10th February 2005, 01:23 AM
.. he is using his 'fluency' that he developd all these years to finish such albums fast and earn something -
NagaS

NagaS, my friend, you disappoint me.. Is this the conclusion learned posters of the forum have come to about IR doing folk albums like karagAttkAri ?
"using his 'fluency'" - Did anybody of you ever think, that he is just trying to maintain his 'fluency'. Just because he is a Maestro, he does not need to compose ? He is a genuine musician. Like he says - 'ovvOru notum ennOdathu'. He needs to do quite a bit of songs before he comes up with a new style/technique.

Compositions means 'string of notes' - the notes should flow smoothly -- aruvi pOla - as IR would say .. that is what you get in IR's composition, even if it is not fresh. Again, what is 'freshness' ? Dont we eat idli, sambar daily ? But we dont compromise on the quality of it, isn't it . That is why we go to this restaurant called IR !!!
karagAttakkAri is considered bad ??? Come on..some people dont even get past the first few lines, having put off by the beats !!! If you listen past the first two lines, you will see IR in the tune !!!
If somebody does not know, these are the dance beats of our land..go to any temple festival you know..You want these musicians play hip-hop on their thArai, thampattai, thavil, urumi etc ? And if somebody does not compose for these instruments, what will these country musicians play ? Buy a rhythm machine and learn how to program it ??
Do you think a composer who can compose for a full western classical orchestra, would ever allow his name to be put on an inferior composition, even for just money ?IR has the 'garvam' pride in his art that he would do a song with just folk drums and say yes, put my name down as the 'music director'. He knows, other MDs know, how difficult it is to get the flow.

(BTW, NagaS, please dont take it personally, I just took this opportunity to address this whole 'disillusionment' with IR's new albums)

vijayr
10th February 2005, 02:10 AM
Hmm.. spoken like a true fan(atic). I am not sure how many here who talk about IR's pride, garvam etc. have heard albums like Yuga Dharmam, Krishnan Vandhaan etc. even in the 80s or Rajasthan, Thodarum etc. in the 90s. IR himself has gone on record saying that he cannot compose inspired if directors keep coming to him with the sams situations, indirectly justifying his uninspired compositions. This is a statemnent he made in the mid-80s itself. And guess what? After 20 years he is still composing for those same situations and hapless films, only this time around the tunes too sound the same like it did 20 years back :-) As for using folk percussion instruments etc. my response is IR has been there and done that.

Karagatakari isnt bad because it uses folk percussion instruments or folk rhythm, Karagatakaari is bad because it is plain unimaginative. Grinding the same old flour. Idlies and dosas made with really old flour :-) No freshness in tunes either. For people who disagree I would ask them to listen to IR's own compositions from some late 90s MFM albums to gauge the difference in quality.

vijayr
10th February 2005, 02:21 AM
"Talking about 'magalir mattum' which was a laugh riot(that was the intention i believe) had no scope for serious compositions and raja gave exactly what he was asked,copmletely comic yet a cut above the usual cacophony"

ahmed, MMKR was a laugh riot too and look at some of the songs in that album. Even Sathi leelavathi was a little better. To me Magalir mattum was just sheer cacophony and worse, an aging SJ trying to sing in different voices was too much. Maharasan was a disaster but the movie didnt deserve anything better.

Regarding Pithamagan/Virumandi, the songs were OK but nothing special that we havent already before save for perhaps "adada alangaara". Kamal and IR singing together was againa bit too much. I liked the Shreya Ghosal songs and thought Onna Vida was overrated (popularity probably because of its picturization and the movie itself)

kiru
10th February 2005, 02:49 AM
Hmm.. spoken like a true fan(atic)...

Keep things technical..not personal.

vijayr
10th February 2005, 03:09 AM
"Keep things technical..not personal."

Applies to the following comment as well, doesnt it?

"karagAttakkAri is considered bad ??? Come on..some people dont even get past the first few lines, having put off by the beats !!! If you listen past the first two lines, you will see IR in the tune !!! "

Its very obvious who that "some people" refers to here :-)

Nitya
10th February 2005, 06:11 AM
Speaking of Yugadharmam, I have heard three of the four songs in that album. I was swayed by the movie title to believe that the songs would be classical or semi-classical, and guess what? The songs are just your mundane 80's filmi dappanguthu songs, unimaginative to say the least.

Vijay, I'm not hugely enthusiastic about the songs in Magalir Mattum either-- the songs sound just sketchy. I'm sure there are other DFers who will actually enjoy these songs, because even the cheesiest songs will find admirers.

Regards,
Nitya

Nitya
10th February 2005, 06:29 AM
By the by, you guys may notice that I sound less enthused about IR's new albums, posting much less than when I carried my 'purv' name. That's because I'm moving on; I'm appreciating the gems of MSV and those of Malayalam MDs like Ravindran, Ouseppachan, Devarajan, etc.

jaiganes
10th February 2005, 08:00 AM
Nitya/purv

Good for you! Best of luck!
Keep us posted on Devarajan and MSV's malayalam melodies, albeit in a separate thread. :D
Meanwhile, deteriorating trend in IR's music is something enigmatic. I felt that even when he was in his peak, he used to compose 'so-so' songs for ordinary sangili murugan movies. He is a stream and sometimes it comes in torrents and in other times it comes in a trickle. We have to learn to appreciate whatever that comes. This applies to all creative personalities. Keep appreciating the best. No point in being hyper critical or hyper appreciative.

kiru
10th February 2005, 09:14 AM
Jaiganesh,
Good points. Just like when we are critical or show our lack of enthusiasm it is important also to post positive things when you like somethings in somebody's work. Songs like niRam piriththu parthEin in time or enna solli pAduvatho have no comparable songs in other MDs work. These are a real innovation from IR. That is why I mentioned in my post that it takes IR quite a bit of time, to evolve a new style/techniques. If you listen to particular window of time, you can IR using the same techniques.

Also, I feel even if something is not fresh, IR's caliber shows in the tune itself.

BTW, a song is made up of rhythm arrangement, sandham, tune, scale/raagam and lyrics. Freshness can be brought about in any of these aspects. Usually, it is mainly the rhythm arrangment and sandham which immediately strike people as 'not-fresh'.
Sometimes, even if the first four are not fresh, just with good lyrics, one can get a song to be a hit.
In yugadharman there is one song, which is actually a version of another hit song. In magalir mattum, I think I dont have any problem with the tune or arrangment, it is mainly the lyrics which messes up. Even then there is one very good western classically orchestrated song.

Purv,
I think your inputs on new albums are highly appreciated. You mentioned the raagams of kaaragAttAkAri which helped me understand why they dont sound fresh. This is the kind of input that I think this board will appreciate.
It looks like you are very classically inclined so zero in on the scale quickly. To me sandham, rhythm arrangments, orchestration also help me appreciate a song. The malayalam MDs seem to be very good in tunes but there is orchestration skills are not to my liking. Even in achuvinte amma, the harmony notes and counterpoints are very good.

jaiganes
10th February 2005, 10:22 AM
Nitya, talk about freshness and one thing comes to my mind.
In malayalam, for majority of movies all the tunes by various MDs were compulsorily carnatic based. I could hear no folk element in many movies. If at all a song would move away from carnatic base, it would be like Doordarshan Jolly abraham style of light music. I can listen to thousands of malyalam songs by Ravindran, Johnson and still find it difficult to say who composed what. They all sounded the same! This is not to mean as an insult, all songs were slow, same tempo, singers who had the same voice (KJY, Jeyachandran, MGSreekumar were all in the same sonic scale. Thank GOD we had SPB opp KJY). In fact after watching Poo vizhi vaasalile, my uncle got the film's malyalam original to see how it was in malayalam. It had mamooty for Sathyaraj , baby sujitha was the same there too, Babu Antony was there too. Two differences(barring hero). Raghuvaran and Ilayaraja. The difference was striking. I felt as if the malayalam movie had no soul! Maybe i had too much of IR in my head at that time. Still, the difference was striking in every single frame of that movie.
I felt the same when I saw 'Dolee sajaa ke rakhna" remake of Aniyathi piraavugal/Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai. The climax was a big let down. Maybe there the trouble was also with the director, but the difference in emotional impact certainly palpable and striking. Here is a movie in whose climax scene, in a theatre, many grown up men were controlling tears, and its remake I am seeing, they are ready to run out of theatres!! Get ilayaraja a good script and a more 'visual' movie and see what he does. Why should he do 'karagaattak kaari'? Well, someone falls at your feet and begs you to compose so that some publicity could be fetched for selling the movie, what would you do? Is there anyone else who could do this 'genre' of music (village folk) ? Get someone then we can be hypercritical of his decision to score such movies.

To really please modern music fans who are happy to buy one mp3 pirated CD containing all latest songs, one music director has to have a rock number, a reggae number, one gaana/kolai kuthu , one melody enough! Movies like karagaattakari can have only one type of music, village folk songs, melody or kuthu, they have to be set in the same pattern. IR has been doing such songs for eons, just that we have moved to the pattern mentioned above. He does not compose for car stereos my friends.!

Cinefan
10th February 2005, 10:45 AM
Well said jaiganesh,that was a very good post.Your comments on MFM was something very similar to what I have always felt.Every body in every industry has something called obligation which needs to be fulfilled.When you work for that&the team has given nothing to inspire you where will outstanding music come from.i don't believe IR does music for movies like 'Karagattakkari'only for money.Also he has been around for 30years,has composed for 1000+ films(I hope the figure is close to reality),it's given there will be a decline in quality.I for one never expect to see the IR of the 75-92 again.What needs to be done is evaluate his work now without comparing it to his earlier works.VirumaaNdi&Pitamagan were excellent/rousing compositions.I cannot understand how anyone could call it average.As jaiganesh rightly pointed out the diff between Kathalukku Mariyathai/Doli saja ke rakhna was Fazil/IR&Priyan/ARR.The BGM for the climax in Tamil was also one of the reasons for the tears which flooded the eyes,the other being the director.

RR
10th February 2005, 10:56 AM
Keep us posted on Devarajan and MSV's malayalam melodies, albeit in a separate thread.
Jaiganesh,
This thread may interest you:
http://www.forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=875
Nitya pitches in once in a while..

kiru,
for carnatic aspects of IR,
http://www.forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1677

cry_sandiego
10th February 2005, 11:20 AM
Kiru/JaiGanesh,

I agree with you guys.. Art is a creative thing.. it is not a science or engineering where you can churn out picture perfect products every single time and achiver iso9000 standards..

Music ( and so is any other art ) is so spontaneous that there is no way you can expect consistency.. it is very subjective and depends on so many factors.. it is just today's world that people are making money using art for a living....( there so many things in today's world like that .. Get the best poet in the world and ask him to write one song a week . Pay him any amount of money and send him to anywhere he wants and give him anything he wants.. do you expect you are going to get a amazing poem every week.. C'mon let's be reasonable..

I think Vijay and others ( with due respect ) expect so perfect - like a Honda manufcturing line where every V6 engine that comes out the line meets all standards - Even there you have recalls once in a while..so imagine composing a song

So if an album of IR is not considered good by many - the album does not sell well and the audio company and IR ( if he has royalty arrangements ) loose the deal.. As a simple as that.

Who are we to say that it is unethical for him a this stage to accept good movies/junk movies for money.. if you do not like an album just don't buy it....

And also just to vent our dissappointment with some songs in some albums it is very unfair to cricitcise some of works that have been acclaimed by most.

Vijay ( again .. no offense meant ) , i guess you were so dissapointed with karagattakari that you are venting to the extent to call Virumaandi and "Elangaathu Veesuthe " as average..

By any standards, even by a worst IR critic, it does not make sense to call " Ilangaathu Veesuthe " average....Infact Vijay says Manasinnakare was a dud ... I am listening to that tape in my car for the last 2 weeks and I still enjoy " Mellayonnu Paadi " and Thanga thingal Vaanil.. I am hooked.. It sounds as good as any of his gems ..

When i listened to " Ilangaathu Vessuthe " i was so impressed that i set the repeat mode for a few days in my Car player..

Well.. just like creating an art is so spontaneous, the way one enjoys or hates or criticises that art is even more subjective.. So what I am so impressed with some songs.. Vijay calls them a dud..

But my honest opinion is that - yes the # of gems per album/per year has definitely come down .. But what the hell do you expect out of a 60+ year guy who has done film music to death.. achieved every thing he wanted and still enjoys creating music.. Leave him alone.. .. if you do not like his albums.. just say so and move on to something you like..there is no point in arguing why is he signing up albums like karagattakaari etc.why at this stage of his career. none of our biz.

Vijay, ( and again no offense meant.. ) .. Clearly you have a disspointment in IR's albums.. But seems like you expect one fine day IR to come up with an album to meet your IS9000 expectation.. get real.. it is not going to happen.. it's only going to get worse.. Move on.. We will let you know when he composes a real gem -

The truth of the matter is looks like IR is the only one who comes atleast anywhere near your expectation.. otherwise you would not be in this forum .. instead you would have been in ARR's/Deva's/Vidyasagar's new albums or other threads..

Sorry Vijay, for quoting your name.. I have real respect for your taste and in fact in the mid 90's you were the one who told me about many IR mallu albums.. Until then i never listened to any mallu songs and for me the next best thing to listening to IR's music is listening to his MFM's..

Anyway, for those of you who have not listened " Manasinnakkarre " , please give the songs a try.. I am sure atleast some of you will be hooked to the songs.. .

I am looking forword to "Athu oru Kanaakaalam" and "TIS" .. And i would not care if they are very average or duds. i will not probably add to the " best of best " playlist on my iPod, but will not get dissappointed..

Sorry for the long post guys..
Cheers
MSK

NagaS
10th February 2005, 11:59 AM
Kiru,

BTW, NagaS, please dont take it personally, I just took this opportunity to address this whole 'disillusionment' with IR's new albums)

Thanks for your post ... if you read again, I never said 'karakaattakkaari' was bad - I have the CD with me and I listen to it almost everyday - I took the comments of some forumers that IR is doing avg albums, and I was arguing whats wrong, even if he does it for money !

Just because he is a Maestro, he does not need to compose ?

again, I don't mean it that way - my argument was that, even if he does an album just for money, finishes all the song tunes in 20 minutes and leaves the rest to Karthik Raja or somebody else, how can we say its wrong ? Just a few years back I read IR is in financial trouble (in a way, VM recently indicated that in his kalki interview), and may be he is trying to come out of it ...

Take vairamuthu himself, When IR decided not to use him anymore, he was forced to write vasanam for some telugu dubbing movies etc., Now after 15+ years, what do we remember ? his songs with IR, his songs with ARR and other MDs, not the telugu dubbing vasanams he wrote ... just because he did that, we can't say he disappointed or insulted tamil kavinjars - isn't it ?

May be I am not able to explain clearly, But I am not against IR or I feel IR's recent works are bad - I love each and every song composed by him, and respect him for what he is !

NagaS

jaiganes
10th February 2005, 03:10 PM
Yesterday, I was watching Crazy mohan's interview in RajTV's Urvasi programme. When asked, what he considers as his best dialogue, he said that the dialogue he wrote for Apoorva sagodharargal, where Srividya puts appu down in front of everyone. He said that at the time of writing the dialogue, he didn't feel much about it, but when picturised, the delivery of Srividya, the close up of Kamal and to complete it the music of IlayaRaja completed the feel, adding manifold impact. He said it is one dialogue of his, which made him cry. He credits, Srividya, Kamal and Ilayaraja for making a normal dialogue into something very specal and worth remembering. This is the talent of Ilayaraja. He might not top the charts everytime, but whatever composes operates at a level much deeper emotionally. All chart toppers (including YSR's) operate on only one level, soon they fade off. The music that stays with us are very few, like the melodies of MSV in Paasamalar and Baagap pirivinai and the phenomenal music of Raaja in Udhiri p pookal, mullum malarum, moodu pani, Nandu, metti, Poo vizhi vaasalile. paapayude swandham appoos (Snehathin .. theerathil naan nilkum neram will make you cry, u don't need to know malayalam for that).

K
10th February 2005, 03:11 PM
http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/news/illayaraja-10.html

NagaS
10th February 2005, 04:06 PM
IR doing muzik for few kannada movies ? anyone with more details ?

What are the other movie projects he is working on now ? (only active projects please !)

1. Adhu oru kanaak kaalam (BM - Dhanush)
2. Oru naaL oru Kanvu (Fazil - Srikanth)
3. Mumbai Express (Singitham Srinivasarao - Kamal)
4. Maanudan (Nivas, Meena)
5. Twinkle2 Little * (MFM)
6. 1+ Kannada movies ?

Not sure :

1. Cheran's movie with Vijay as hero ?
2. Bala's next movie ? (Why he is giving so much gap in between his movies ?)
3. ??

NagaS

crvenky
10th February 2005, 04:18 PM
Nagas,
I heard of another Mal movie Balaraman (*ing Mohanlal) and the forthcoming two movies of Webgate company.
Source: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/malayalam/810/

NagaS
10th February 2005, 04:33 PM
thanks crvenky,

any other movies in tamil ?

NagaS

nkv
10th February 2005, 04:52 PM
Dear Jaiganesh,
Regarding your Thoughts on MFM - Malayalam had always stuck to melodies.. Very Rarely (During the golden days), it has swung to Disco mode. It had very talented MDs like Devarajan, Raveendran, Johsnon, sharath, Ouseppachan etc etc. One reason why you were not able to distinguish between the styles is malayalam songs rarely have a rich orchestra (Due to cost and other Factors). Thats where Ilayaraja and Vidyasagar stand out in MFM. But being an ardent Malayalam Music Lover, and a great fan of Raveendran, im quite comfortable in identifying the stamp of Raveendran and Johsnon in their songs. I would like to differ to the opinion that malayalam didnt had any folk oriented songs. In fact they had, and they will out number the pure carnatic numbers.. Johnson was a real master in creating folk numbers (Melle Melle, Anuraagini, Kannaadikkayyil, Chandanacholayil). Raveendran had an extraordinary talent of mixing Carnatic Music into light music. One should realy go for his light music albums like 'vasanthageethangal', 'ponnonatharangini' etc. They are folk-oriented as well as Carnatic In nature. Still i believe that though degraded over time, Malayalam still occasionally produces very good folk-oriented songs..

We always enjoyed the occasional visits of Ilayaraja, Vidyasagar, Salil Chowdhary, MSV, KVM etc, who also has given good heart-haunting melodies with a native flavor, though they had their unique stamp over them.

Its very easy to rate 'Ponmudippuzhayoram' as average, because we(his fans) always tend to compare him with his own old songs. But i feel compared to contemporary Malayalam songs, the one song 'Oru Chiri Kandal' definitely was an outstanding one. Ilayaraja stamp is there to make you feel it.
But i do agree that the album is way behind from 'Manassinakkare' or 'Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal'

Nkv

nkv
10th February 2005, 04:55 PM
Those who are interested in Malayalam Music Discussions, pls join

http://groups.yahoo.com/malayalamfilmmusic

Cinefan
10th February 2005, 04:57 PM
Kannada movies??????I don't know of a single Kannada movie for which IR is composing music.

Naga,Kasturimaan is another film with IR's music,marandhateengala,tech-le ungala adicheNe :D

NagaS
10th February 2005, 05:29 PM
cinefan,

thanks for ninaivoottal :)

NagaS

NagaS
10th February 2005, 05:31 PM
Kannada movies??????I don't know of a single Kannada movie for which IR is composing music.

Me too ... and I thought KFM is not that open, when it comes to other states' actors / technians, So I am surprised to hear that IR is working on more than 1 kannada movie :-?

His latest kannada movie was 'usire' I think, not a big hit, atleast to my knowledge !

NagaS

jaiganes
10th February 2005, 07:43 PM
Dear nkv,
As I said , maybe I was too biased to IR. Since you knew the folk in MFM and you follow MFM more closely, you are able to pick out. I apologize if I have stepped on a raw nerve of some one. I really do. I thought that we were getting too critical of IR in this thread and some vague terms were being used , like 'freshness', 'innovative' etc., What I feel is IR has been doing so called 'ordinary' music from a long time. We see it strikingly now since his volume has come down. Earlier of 30 movies he does, there would be 20 good movies (or atleast standard), the so called ordinary movies would be forgotten by fans and critics. It just does not apply to IR alone, Even the great Sivaji acted in countless of sub standard movies (according to many). Why did he do that? No one knows why, he just did. Since we don't know why he did, how can we analyze like some geniuses. We simply look at ARR and YSR and say, "look they dont commit to many movies, why does IR not to do the same?" . Who can answer this question? I say I will take any movie IR composes, even if he gives me 2 to 3 melodies, I will take it coz it will have some traces of the 80s (so called lack of freshness). That is what I am looking for and that is why I loved Virumaandi as an album. 'Kombule poovai suthi' simply took me back to 80s. Thats enough for me. I will take it anytime for digitally arranged, commercially purchased loops pasted in a computer.

vijayr
10th February 2005, 08:54 PM
" What I feel is IR has been doing so called 'ordinary' music from a long time. We see it strikingly now since his volume has come down. Earlier of 30 movies he does, there would be 20 good movies (or atleast standard), the so called ordinary movies would be forgotten by fans and critics. "

jaiganes, this is what I was talking about earlier. Thanks for catching the drift. Atleast you see and agree that he had composed rather ordinary tunes even in the past. There are a couple of people here like Kiru, who take the stance that nothing composed by IR is bad and each and every song is great. This is the kind of stance that befuddles me everytime.

Nitya has agreed with me on some of the observations about Yugadharmam and other hapless albums of IR. There are many such albums even in the 80s. I dont have anything against IR's recent TFM albums except that that they are nowhere near his own recent best from MFM. I have also given examples of albums that I have liked so its not just criticism but just my way of expressing disappointment over his recent uninspired works.

eden
10th February 2005, 09:01 PM
Digression:
nkv & JaiGanesh,

I kind of agree partly to both of your postings...nkv surely has a better understanding of MFM...However, I can't accept his observations on Johnson - he is an imitation fellow / often a copy-cat, much like Deva...OTOH listen to the melodies of Bombay Ravi, some of the best music ever heard in IFM...

I lived in Kerala from 86-2002 and would definitely rate the music of 86-90 much superior to majority of the later (in terms of melody, soul & orchestration)...They had real uniqueness / maN vAsanai...even when adopted from successes elsewhere, they were localised pretty good, while the later ones are sounding more of imitations of the trends in other states...even movies are no different, with some exceptions, becoming more of rehashes / predictable / stereotypes...Just compare Mohanlal's Chitram or veLLanakaLude nAdu with Balettan / recent ones as an example:-)

Even the highly successful music of `thenmAvin kombathu' by Johnson had songs each of which reminds you of some old song from TFM...I can't compare him with Ravindran, for e.g. who could produce music like that of HH Abdullah...

End Digression

IR has always done well in MFM ( I didn't have a chance to hear the later ones like KKS -though I got this cassette to ship to friends in U.S., never listened to it-, and ManasinakkarE or others, the last one I heard was Friends which had the beautiful sivamallippoovE, lovely kadal kAtRil ninnum and another sweet KSC solo plus an average thankakkinA), often with commercial success of movies too. Unfortunately, his best for MFM weren't big commercial hits (Guru, kAlApAni)...Hope he gets to create some semi-classical stuff for the forthcoming MFM projects...I don't think he did much semi-classical stuff in MFM - mostly folk, light or fusion....

vijayr
10th February 2005, 09:02 PM
cry_sandiego/MSK, you dont have to get so upset at that fact that I didnt like a few recent IR albums :-) Cheer up. I was just expressing my opinions. If you enjoy Manasinakkare or Karagatakaari so be it. How does it matter to you or anyone else if I didnt like it? And BTW, regarding Pithamagan/Virumandi, I wasnt just venting my frustrations as you have mentioned. Those are my true observations of the albums. 1 or 2 good songs in an album doesnt make the whole album great. If you think I am all criticism, then you have missed the examples that I have given of IR from MFM.

vijayr
10th February 2005, 09:08 PM
"though I got this cassette to ship to friends in U.S., never listened to it"

eden, I did :-) Surprising that you shipped it but didnt listen to it yourself. Anyways, a late thanks if I had forgotten to mention it earlier. Kochu Kochu santhoshangal had a couple of inspired numbers from IR , several notches above the average stuff that we heard in TFM for the last 15 years.

vijayr
10th February 2005, 09:18 PM
For someone new to IR's MFM stuff my honest recommendations from his fairly recent works would be:
Guru, Yaathramozhi, Friends, Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal, Kaliyoonjal
along with assorted songs like Kadhirum Gothi/Virahamaay(Man of the match), one Chithra song(Adharvam?) etc. for starters..

eden
10th February 2005, 09:34 PM
You're welcome, vijay!
It was a time period when I didn't seem to have room for any recreation...I've very recently located an Indian store run by a Keralite in Sterling Heights and found a lot of Malayalam stuff...hopefully can spend some time now over MFM:-)

Vazhipokkan
10th February 2005, 10:37 PM
Ilayaraja plays a different role in TF as a screenwriter. His movie has a budget of Rs. 20 Million. The title of the movie is "Sripart Rajamani". Since it is a heroine oriented subject they are in search for the right fit.

The title itself invites a big disaster. Who would risk this project?

http://www.dinakaran.com/weekly/tamil/velli/2005/Feb/11/chips.html

multinamatheyan
10th February 2005, 11:11 PM
Vazhipokkan,

You got it all wrong. It is NOT Sripart Rajamani - it is Sripart SINthamany.

That should make all the difference:-)

cry_sandiego
10th February 2005, 11:18 PM
Vijay,

I was not upset at all .. just giving a different perspective to your oft ( for want of a better word ) repeated view that his recent albums are not as good as his old gems or whatever.. I never claimed that each and every composition of his is GOOD.. If i like it i like it.. if i do not i don't get dissappointed considering all the other factors..

In my opnion, Acclaims can be long , detailed.. But criticisms shd be short to the point of being non-existent...And again nothing will remain good or best for ever ( that applies to everything in this world )

Anyways if you interpreted my post as being upset ..sorry that was not the intention.. just sharing thoughts..

CHeers
MSK

vijayr
10th February 2005, 11:30 PM
Is this a sequel to Rajapart Rangadurai? :-)

vijayr
10th February 2005, 11:30 PM
MSK, point taken

kiru
10th February 2005, 11:36 PM
MSK, I wish I had your patience and cool. Fortunately, NagaS, did not get offended (nice guy :)).
Folks, I have almost first hand information that IR does these so called 'average' movies mainly to keep in touch with the industry and his 'spontaniety' in shape. Youthful subjects are sent in the way of YSR, even some serious ones are shared with Karthik (eg. Ivan). As Jaiganesh mentions, it is a not lie or propaganda that there are people 'begging' him to do certain movies (ofcourse, with very less salary). Even for ivan, when Parthiban approached him, IR jokingly mentioned, "neenga thaan periya periya music directorellAm vechu padam pannareengalame, en kitta En vandheenga". Somehow Parthiban, gave the classical music excuse to get him to compose for him.
So after all these eliminations, you get the movies like the ones we have.

Re: expectation from new albums and allegations that I consider every album/song of IR great, please see my review of achuvinte amma -

"Achuvinte amma is very good. Probably not completely fresh (as Nitya points out) as after 4000 songs, it is probably getting very difficult for IR to come out with a new phrase or probably this is what makes a creative process a creative process..it is like a sport..you need to be skilled, motivated and energised, but still your performance is not guaranteed.
Again, this does not beat Kochu kochu ..that album had two fantastic fresh groovy numbers and two classical numbers. This one has two good melodies, and one fun song which is kind of not that fresh. "

Now decide for yourself whether it is balanced or not. am not sure what or whether I even wrote anything about karagattakkAri earlier. I brought it up, because it was being 'trashed'. We can criticise the song but I think it is not right to attack IR, with unpleasant insinuations.I
You can see my view of recent songs in the above review. My stance is IR has done so many songs..that it will be very difficult for us to see freshness in them. Tunes are - been there dont that. Work is now in orchestration techniques. That is why nowadays I look for innovations in orchestration. Like I said, niRam piriththu and enna solli pAduvatho are songs that I appreciate for this reason. Songs are a format that has been beaten to death by IR. This is the reason, IR needs a bigger canvas like BGM or full fledged western classical compositions to work on.
Unfortunately, his interest is not in line with the tastes of indian audience, songs like in Guru, are not necessarily well-received. But personally, I feel that is the direction IR should go (and he is) as we need to integrate indian melodies with a big orchestra. This will be a wonderful and precious heritage from IR.

vijayr
11th February 2005, 12:17 AM
this was your original comment :

"Do you think a composer who can compose for a full western classical orchestra, would ever allow his name to be put on an inferior composition, even for just money ?IR has the 'garvam' pride in his art ...."

I didnt post the entire comment but you were essentially saying that he just CANNOT make an inferior composition. Every song of his is superior in some way or the other. To me, thats about as naive as someone can get.

I too have first hand info on how IR doesnt bother to give his best(except in his first few years) for certain movies which do not have a big banner or director/actor. Uninspired and unimaginative. And a few learned posters here like Nitya have agreed with me on albums like Yugadharmam, Krishnan Vandhaan etc. There were many such albums even in the 80s. No one is expecting a hit out of every album, but with certain albums its painfully obvious that IR hasnt worked hard on it at all. In the (g)olden days when the overall work ethics/standards were higher, MDs used to work hard on each and every single song they did. (IR did it in his early years). They never used to accept 40 movies a year and end up working hard on just 10 good albums. The percentage(of good songs) was much higher in the 50s and 60s.

Nitya
11th February 2005, 02:31 AM
eden, it was the Berny-Ignatius duo that composed for 'Thenmavin Kombathu.' I never seriously listened to any of their compositions as of yet.

'Enna Solli Paaduvatho' has the same meter as 'Alli Alli Veesudhammaa' by GA in Athamaaga Rathiname, and is also not orchestrated as well as the latter song, although the melody is fairly pleasing.

"I too have first hand info on how IR doesnt bother to give his best(except in his first few years) for certain movies which do not have a big banner or director/actor. Uninspired and unimaginative. And a few learned posters here like Nitya have agreed with me on albums like Yugadharmam, Krishnan Vandhaan etc."

But vijay, didn't Krishnan Vandhaan have Sivaji Ganeshan and Mohan, neither of which name requires deep digging into the archives of Tamil Cinema? Other than 'Oru Uravu,' I haven't heard any Krishnan Vandhaan songs.

On another note, you guys say that Malayalis don't use that complex orchestration. I agree with that to a certain extent. But then, listen to some early compositions of Sarath and Ouseppachan, and even some recent compositions of these men. Even Johnson has given interesting, albeit not extravagant orchestration in some songs, synonymous to MSV.

Folks, lavish orchestration doesn't always make a song worthy of hearing, not any more than a rare raaga usage. It depends on the overall presentation, as vijay noted earlier in this thread.

That's all for now.

Regards,
Nitya

kiru
11th February 2005, 03:22 AM
Folks, lavish orchestration doesn't always make a song worthy of hearing, not any more than a rare raaga usage. ..

Agreed,
But Nitya, indian classical music and western classical music are two different schools of thought. I would characterise indian classical music as linear and western classical music as 'concurrent' ie. in indian music, notes are slid/dragged. In wcm, notes are played in parallel.
It is a matter of taste/culture to prefer one over the other.
IR is trying to present icm in a wcm presentation. It is not just 'lavish orchestration' as you would say. Just access to a big orchestra does not guarantee lavish orchestration. Actually, in the niRam piriththu song, it is all done with keyboards. So you can do it for cheap. (Maybe, one reason malayalam songs of IR are heavy in synth). It is the harmonies/counterpoints in IR's songs that I find it interesting. I too enjoy MSV's songs, mainly for the melody. (It is interesting to compare the 1975 hits LP with a 1985 hits LP !!) But he did make a beginning on the WCM orchestration which IR has continue.

Can you elaborate why enna solli is not well orchestrated like the other song ? Any references to where I can listen to it online ?

MumbaiRamki
11th February 2005, 04:13 AM
Kiru sir ,
I thought teh strings for teh Nirma Pirithu are live !!!

raja_fan
11th February 2005, 04:07 PM
"Endhu paranjaalum.." from Achuvinte Amma resembles "Pacha malai ppovu.." from Kizhakku Vaasal... Infact, you can fit one song in to the tune of the other..Just try and see :wink:

K
11th February 2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2005/february/110205a.asp

kiru
12th February 2005, 03:13 AM
Kiru sir ,
I thought teh strings for teh Nirma Pirithu are live !!!

Ramki,
It is quite possible. I was told by a friend who said, the recording engineer for Time was proud, that they used various western classical instruments for this song. Later, my friend, who prefers real instruments, was dismayed to find they were all played from the synth keyboard. I just assumed all instruments were synths.
You probably knew that a 60-piece orchestra was used for enna solli. It was a news then.
But if you compare the sound of enna solli and niram piriththu, I have a suspicion that the niram piriththu's songs even strings are too 'clean' sounding to be real instruments.
Most of the time, I am told, IR's keyboardists accompany real instruments. This is to add more 'body' to the sound. So this makes it difficult to tell at times.

Nitya
12th February 2005, 04:54 AM
About 'Enna Solli Paaduvatho's orchestration, maybe it was I didn't know that this song had a 60-piece orchestra as a backdrop-- this is news to me!

MumbaiRamki
12th February 2005, 08:50 PM
60 piece orchestra va ..Koncham DOubta thaan irruku ...
Let me listen to the song and see what possible instruments are used ...

Prelude - Flute ,Strings
First Interlude - Strings
Second Interlude - Strings ,some wood instruments ( 2)

1.Violin1
2.Violin2
3.Viola
4.Cello
5.DOuble Bass
6.Bass Guitar
7.wood Instruments -2

FYI ,for teh kudaikul Mazhai this is the set Karthik Raaja used -10 violins,5Violas, 2 cellos and 1 bass for the movie

COnsidering that ,i intuitively feel that the interludes of Enna Solli Paaduvatho should have used atleast the double the amount used in Kudaikkul Mazhai ....and also if u add second violins ,possibly 50 piecer-orchestra quite possible

Enna Solli is really a master piece ..i think for some time raaja stopped teh technique of using a string harmony for teh charanam - This song it was full fledged orchestra backing ...

( i remember when one composer was proud of using 60 piece orchestra for BGM - I think it is not the usage but teh composition which should be beautiful !!!)

I think lot of us expect raaja to use strong orchestra pieces in songs with strong bass etc ....and probably raaja sir has reduced teh usage of orchestra in 90 s .....Kadhaluku mAriyadhai did not have even one interlude with orchestral piece - except ananda kuilin song ( it cld have been synth too )

jaiganes
14th February 2005, 08:31 AM
I bought IR's Isai Amudham and a CD of IR's collections yesterday. Before doing that, I was giving a listening to Karagaattakkaari. I would say that for a film which no one knows whether it would get released, it is too good. I revised my opinion on Karagaatakkaari album. Barring the last Kovai kamala song, all other songs are extremely listenable and "FRESH". I reiterate "FRESH". There was no song that resembled, "Appadi Podu", "Thathai Thathai.." or "Fanaaaahhhhh". Which means, IR is still the only MD who doesn't rely on loops or tracks that have resemblance to any sound which is not his own creation. If any one feels the use of shrilled flute, melam, urumi, thavil and naadhaswaram to be repetitive, then the music can be termed stale. But simply generalizing the feel of an album and saying it is not fresh is purely relative and biased. "Kotti vecha muthe" is as good a melody you can expect to hear in any film album. "Kaattu -k- kili " is another melody which keeps revolving around and rond in my mind. "Ennap petha mookamba" is a song, which again keeps coming up every 10 mins to me, particularly the way IR sings fast "Andamum undaakki, mannurundai aakki adhil enakkum unakkum idam kodutha mookaamba". If there are no prejudices against IR's voice, then it is a throughly enjoyable song. "Saada maada" is yet another delightful song, simple melody and soothing voice of Vijay. On the whole a throughly enjoyable album, definitely has an effect of transporting to a village.

rajasaranam
14th February 2005, 03:00 PM
Jaiganes,

It was a nice knowing someone else who is enjoying "Karakattakari" album. I Second your opinion abt Freshness too. I dont know what these people like vijayr expect in the name of freshness. They would wish to change our 'oppari' and 'Thaalatu' in the name of freshness. and God it is here existing for the past 2000-3000 years. These people will accept when One MD will come, change the tune of 'mangalyam thanthunaa...' to sound yuppie and dont mind the essence of the whole sacred chant being lost, which is here from time immemorial :-(
Atleast we happen to be on the same side of league who know that there are somethings which should be kept intact for eons to come and even then it will be fresh for us:-)

And what is this 'Isai amudham' you are talking about where did you get this?

rajasaranam
14th February 2005, 03:11 PM
Jaiganes,

You missed out the song 'Enga ooru laila' . try to listen this again though the lyrics are not good the song is great treat with nice sarnams and Interludes. The Album on Whole reminds me of a complete album of Raja like one in the Eighties. After 'kaathal saathi' this is the album iam enjoying on the whole.

Cinefan
14th February 2005, 04:28 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/13179.html

BR&IR together again?

raja_fan
14th February 2005, 04:51 PM
But will they shine again..?
Both are out of their peak :(
May be VM should also join..

Sanjeevi
14th February 2005, 05:03 PM
IR's next film albums

BM movie
Kamal movie
Fazil movie
Logitdas movie
&
Karakattakari

kiru
15th February 2005, 01:41 AM
Ramki,
I am not sure whether it was 60 maybe 40 or 50. But I am very positive that it made news because of the size of the orchestra. I even remember a picture of IR with the orchestra behind.
The recording is not that great for this song.
IR has strings backing for many songs, especially in the later half of charanams. But in this song the flutes, cello and rest of strings are tightly interwoven. You will not find a parallel to this song in other MDs repertoire, past or present.
This kind of melody and chorus singing like 'undhan rajyathil yaarum' are developments of the 90s and later.

Re: raja_fans' post "both are not in their peak" . It is all a matter of perspective. I do not like the older 'hits' of IR that much anymore. (eg . andhi mazhai). For eg. in kanna unai thEdugiRen, there is a oor urangum nErathil. This is a very pleasant melody. But IR can do this in sleep. I am looking for tight, interwoven orchestration with indian melodies (like in Guru (mal) or the song under discussion).

deepakkt
15th February 2005, 06:05 AM
rajasaranam,

Personally, I dont mind MD's experimenting with different ideas, even if it sounds revolting at first. I enjoyed that experiment in AP.

I second your/jaiganes's views on karagattakkari. I especially liked "enna petha". Even though this rythm has been used umpteen times by IR in his earlier songs, I can't stop listening to it. This is also an IR triplet (music, voice and lyrics). I love this combination. The views in this song are something he holds close to heart, so it was a heartfelt performance.

jaiganes
15th February 2005, 09:03 AM
RS
The cassette i bought was "Ilayarajavin Geethanjali", a devotional by IR. It is an old album and the recording quality(or reproduction quality) is not all that good. But still, the spirit of the album is undeniable. The other CD I bought was "Ilayarajavin Payanam vol 1 and 2". Good collection of old IR songs and more recent IR songs(90s). I bought it because it had some songs that most of the albums do not have like "Meenkodi thaeril" and "Thullithirindhadhoru kaalam" .These are some melodies I have been hunting for to listen to in good quality. I am hooked to this CD like anything. I had picked up Isai Amudham by IR another songs medley, but forgot to put in the basket. As deepak put it, irrespective of the number of violins or instru's, it is the feel that IR is put behind a song that makes it special.

jaiganes
15th February 2005, 11:37 AM
Friends!
I strongly encourage you to buy this album which is a collection of melodious songs by Ilayaraaja. The album has discs, one more older works of raaja and the second more recent works of the maestro.
Songs in Disc 1.
1. Annakili unnai thedudhu
2. Sendhoorap poove
3. Kannan Oru kaik kuzhandhai
4. Aayiram Malargale
5. Poongadhave thaal thiravaai
6. Siru Ponmani
7. Chinnap pura ondru
8. En Kanmani En Kaadhali
9. En Iniya Pon nilaave
10. sendhaazham poovil
11. Ilamai enum poongaatru
12. Vizhiyile malarndhadhu
13. Meenkodi Thaeril Manmadharaajan
14. Aerikkarai Poongaatre
15. Mounamaana Neram

Songs in Disc 2.
1. Kaadhoram Lolaakku
2. Chinna Rasaave
3. Nilaa kaayum neram charanam
4. Valli Valli ena vandhaan vadivelan
5. Dhoori Dhoori (from innisai mazhai)
6. Naan yaerikkarai melirundhu
7. Aalolam Paadi
8. Amma endrazhaikkaadha
9. Oru naalum unai maravaadha
10. Muthu mani maalai
11. Endhan Nenjil neengaadha
12. Inji Iduppazhagi
13. Oh Butterfly!
14. Thulli thiridhadhoru kaalam
15. Ellorum Sollum Paattu sonnene unnai

All unbeatable melodies sung by singers with clear Thamizh diction.

Enjoy the album!!!

MumbaiRamki
16th February 2005, 02:21 AM
Sanjeevi
U have missed some movies ...

1.Manidhan by Nivas
2.AThai Thingal Nilavil by Balakrishnan
3.Cheran's movie after the current movie .

nkv
16th February 2005, 08:37 AM
Add 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and 'Balaraman' - two mallu movies of IR coming up

crvenky
20th February 2005, 04:17 PM
Hi,

You can hear Maestro's masterpiece BHARATHI from my Yahoo Groups.
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MaestroMagic/

Sanjeevi
21st February 2005, 12:16 PM
Summa

NormalMan
21st February 2005, 08:22 PM
Anyone got access to the complete story?

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/21022005-2.shtml

Cinefan
22nd February 2005, 10:27 AM
Normal man,
Even I was wondering if there was anyone who had the whole article,pch I doubt if we will ever get to read the whole news. :(

NagaS
22nd February 2005, 11:41 AM
I didn't get access to the full news item, But I can say one thing - we can't always believe in what cinesouth guys say, I have observed that most of the times they make news items from other magazines like vikatan etc., and shamelessly use them as their news items, the only thing they do on their own is adding pictures ... (For example, check the news about vijay getting worried about simbu, thats taken from vijay's interview in this week's vikatan) ...

So I won't be surprised, if they do such news item (abt IR's retirement) for paraparappu, or for driving new people for subscription ...

NagaS

Cinefan
22nd February 2005, 03:27 PM
Naga,
I agree with you completely.There was a time a couple of years back when this site used to have original&most importantly accurate information but these days they just copy from Kumudam,Ananda vikatan,Kumkumam&other sites.

raja_fan
22nd February 2005, 04:45 PM
IR retiring ? :)

In his TIS press meet, he told films will go side by side with these kind of projects..

NagaS
25th February 2005, 11:23 AM
cinefan / other tfmdfers in bangalore,

Today, did any of you notice a kannada poster with IR in top right corner ? It may be a new movie releaseing today / a new movie starting today ... I saw it in a bus stop and before I could see it further, my bus started, ...

NagaS

Cinefan
25th February 2005, 11:49 AM
Naga,

Haven't noticed it.let me check out.

Sanjeevi
25th February 2005, 12:11 PM
Karakattakari will be released on March 4.

krish244
26th February 2005, 02:40 PM
Guys, dont know where to post. Some information about Hindustani Ragas & their Carnatic counterpart.

http://www.asavari.org/ragamala.html

Just thought it will of some interest to you guys.

thanks

Krishnan

Cinefan
28th February 2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/25022005-4.shtml

IR&ARR along with vidya sagar have scored music for Arivumathi's songs on the Tsunami tragedy.

p
2nd March 2005, 09:46 AM
kaNgaLin vArththaigaL

http://music.msn.com/album/?album=39568365

does any one know when this movie was released and who acted/directed this movie.

the sree rAmanE song is really good!

krish244
2nd March 2005, 12:56 PM
p,

"Kangalin Varthaigal" is a dubbed version of "Nammoora Mandhara Hoove", a Kannada movie released about 5-6 years back! Music (by IR) of this kannada movie was a big hit in Karnataka (more specifically Bangalore I guess)

There are many IR songs where the chorus arrangements and the effect it produces when listening have amazed me. One such example was the second interlude of "Alli Alli" song.

Krishnan

raja_fan
2nd March 2005, 02:17 PM
Krishnan,

I have heard the songs in my college days and was recently searching for the songs without knowing the movie name..Thanks for reminding the name..

Btw,..I am not able to hear the songs from musicindia due to some codec problem..Is there any other site to hear the songs of this movie..( kannada or tamil ) ?

rajasaranam
2nd March 2005, 03:01 PM
raja_fan,

i have the song CD of 'NAMMOORA MANDARA HOOVE' :-) shall i rip them and send it to you?

Cinefan
2nd March 2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/stars/manirathnam.shtml

Interview with Manirathnam-says IR is a legend&a genius. :D

rajasaranam
2nd March 2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2005/03/02/stories/2005030200630100.htm

much elaborate in 'theHindu' :-)

mohan02
2nd March 2005, 05:32 PM
Kangalin Varthaigal songs are available in Coolgoose.com

Please do a search and get it. Off hand dont have the link...

kiru
3rd March 2005, 01:39 AM
"Ilayaraja is legend and genius. Rehman is wizard and sensation.
"

Did Mani really say this ?

Vazhipokkan
3rd March 2005, 03:01 AM
"Ilayaraja is a prolific music-composer, who comes up with amazing tunes instantly and does his re-recording in just half-a-day. His grasp of music has astounded me always. Rehman is a music wizard in his own way."

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/interview/6258.html

eden
3rd March 2005, 03:18 AM
kiru,
the report on Hindu is even more interesting - Mani considered working with ARR a `culture shock' (coming from a working environment with IR):-)

My interpretation of this - IR delivered Mani's expected results (or better) with professional ease , in exceptionally quick time frame while ARR had to be pushed, motivated, polished etc. for months and months before he could meet the Mani criteria:-))

eden
3rd March 2005, 03:31 AM
Further reading between the lines:
Mani plans to drop songs altogether from his forthcoming movie...says the report

Can it be this way? (BTW, NOM to anyone:-))

He can't go back to Raja now after all the bad-blood his elder brother created with IR during the JJ-thudhipAdal era and he can't wait for ARR eternally either - what's the point, in any case the ARR song is not going to jell with the story line, it'll be like a music video inserted and an aberration in any serious movie and waiting for that forever is vexatious)

eden
3rd March 2005, 03:41 AM
Or, all these could be another marketing gimmick by Mani, who is adept at that...

...should check how many of IR's movies are in the DVD collection...konjam hype vENdAmA?

crvenky
3rd March 2005, 10:03 AM
eden,
interestingly, none of the Mani-IR movies released now in that DVD collection. why?

Cinefan
3rd March 2005, 11:04 AM
eden,
interestingly, none of the Mani-IR movies released now in that DVD collection. why?

I think the movies Mani has released are all produced by him.Unfortunately he had split from IR by the time he started producing movies on his own.

Dig:Kannathil Muthamittal is being screened this Sat at 5.30pm on Sun.I fell in love with the movie when it released in 2002,will definitely see it again. :D

rajasaranam
3rd March 2005, 11:47 AM
eden,

i think the rights of all the movies of mani-IR combo will be with Raj video vision :-(

Jacky
3rd March 2005, 01:44 PM
"it'll be like a music video inserted and an aberration in any serious movie and waiting for that forever is vexatious"

He's gotta wait if he wants a crossover taste to his music. You can't sell the music of Mouna ragam, Pagal nilavu or Nayagan up up up North.
IR-MR was an awesome combo in Tamil, ARR-MR is for a much bigger audience.

rajdes
3rd March 2005, 01:48 PM
Kangalin Vaartahigal was a remake of NMH. I think Vikram starred in it with the producer's son playing the more meaty role!

raja_fan
3rd March 2005, 06:51 PM
Cheran's next film with Vijay..IR's music ??

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/tamil/1660/

Vazhipokkan
3rd March 2005, 08:13 PM
IR is going to score music for his 1000th movie and it will be directed by his nephew (Pavalar Varadharajan's son)Homosho (Japanese or what?)

http://www.dinakaran.com/weekly/tamil/velli/2005/Mar/04/chips.html

krish244
4th March 2005, 11:56 AM
Just 1 to 1.5 years back, I remember hearing the count as around 850-900...am I right? Has so many of his movies come out since then?

Anyway, for IR, a legend, completing 1000 movies will be another feather in his cap (if he still has some space left out in his cap :-)). I hope he will make the music of his 1000th movie a memorable (and/or something like a landmark) one. It all depends on the scope of the story aswell. I think "Anjali" was his 500th movie and even now when I listen to "Anjali", I feel its so different & amazing in every way (orchestration, arrangement, etc). Hope the best.

BTW, what are his 100th, 200th, 300th....900th movies? Any ideas?

thanks

Krishnan

cry_sandiego
4th March 2005, 12:35 PM
100 - Moodu Pani
200- Aayiram Nilave Vaa
300 - UdhayaGeetham
400- Nayagan
500- Anjali
600- Thalapathy .??? _ not sure on this one..
700- ?
800- ?
900- ?
1000- ?

Can anyone give more info....also quite interesting that all the centuries happened on tamil albums though he was doing a significant # of Tel/mal those days..

Cheers
MSK

raja_fan
4th March 2005, 01:59 PM
"
400- Nayagan
500- Anjali
600- Thalapathy .??? _ not sure on this one..
"

I think Nayagan was 300th not 400th.

Also note that these landmark movies were with Manirathnam..
So IR should do his 1000th film with some top class director, not with his Machaan, maamaa etc..:)

Shankar
4th March 2005, 02:42 PM
nayagan was his 400'th...

crvenky
4th March 2005, 06:08 PM
350 - Amman kovil kizhakkale
800 - Usire (Kannada)

sudhakarg
4th March 2005, 06:29 PM
I think 250 was "naan paadum paadal"

sudhakarg
4th March 2005, 06:33 PM
BTW, did you guys see this?

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/7094.html

Contains video clippings from the lauch of TiS (TbyIR)

p
5th March 2005, 01:58 AM
p,

"Kangalin Varthaigal" is a dubbed version of "Nammoora Mandhara Hoove", a Kannada movie released about 5-6 years back! Music (by IR) of this kannada movie was a big hit in Karnataka (more specifically Bangalore I guess)

There are many IR songs where the chorus arrangements and the effect it produces when listening have amazed me. One such example was the second interlude of "Alli Alli" song.

Krishnan

Krishnan

Thanks for the info on kaNgalin vArththaigaL / Nammoora Mandhara Hoove

12bums
7th March 2005, 11:53 AM
I've been seeing quite a lot of hype for s few movies like Mayavi, Chandramukhi, the last few weeks.Nothing has lived upto hype so far. Eagerly waiting for ME. After a long time IR has a tamil new year release for a big banner. I still have not heard anyone talk about the cassette release? Hope this movie has songs! And is properly marketed, as it has a national audience.

NagaS
7th March 2005, 12:11 PM
12bums,

not one, he has two ... mumbaix and athu oru kanaak kaalam :)

NagaS

crvenky
7th March 2005, 12:24 PM
Good news on MumbaiX songs:
from Kamal fans site:

After twelve years Illayaraja and Drums Sivamanai joined together for a song of Mumbai Express. Sivamani said he has done a different music and the song has come out very well.

vssathish
7th March 2005, 12:29 PM
Hi Venky

Can you let me know the URL of the Kamal fans site

Thanks

multinamatheyan
7th March 2005, 11:18 PM
Speaking of Sivamani,

I was fortunate enough to do an interview with Sivamani last year for a local TV.

He was all praise of Raja in that interview. But during the interview, I could sense he resented the fact that Raja in later days opted to use elctronic rythm machines etc over natural drums.

I am gald to see they are working together again.

crvenky
8th March 2005, 11:21 AM
Dear Sathish,

You can subscribe to: kamalhassanfanclub@yahoogroups.com

Cinefan
8th March 2005, 11:35 AM
12bums,

not one, he has two ... mumbaix and athu oru kanaak kaalam :)

NagaS

I read somewhere that 'Athu.........'(the film)will be released in May.

raja_fan
8th March 2005, 03:24 PM
What Happened to IR's WORLD TOUR ???

Cinefan
8th March 2005, 03:44 PM

IR utpada,ellorum maranDacHu-nnu nenaikkarein :)

raja_fan
8th March 2005, 05:50 PM

IR utpada,ellorum maranDacHu-nnu nenaikkarein :)

Inconsistency is dominating in recent news about IR :(
The best example is his world tour. First they anounce something...then they forget..including decisions on TIS !

app_engine
8th March 2005, 10:08 PM
An interesting Q&A from Kumudam with Nayanthara (chandramukhi actress)...

Q : How do you speak Thamizh so fluently? (The actress is from Thiruvilla, Kerala)

A : By listening to IR's songs only...(They are very close to her...also certified by Fazil etc.):-)))

vssathish
9th March 2005, 09:36 AM
Superstar Rajnikanth’s next movie will be produced by editor Mohan. Rajini is said to have expressed his desire that Ilayaraja should score the music for the film. However, the maestro has declined the offer citing differences with the director K.S. Ravikumar. Therefore, the producer seems to have approached another of Rajini’s lucky mascot, Suresh Krishna. Watch this space for more.

Source : www. behindwoods.com

How far this news is true ???

NagaS
9th March 2005, 10:58 AM
somebody changing director because of IR ? I am NOT believing this !

NagaS

12bums
9th March 2005, 11:04 AM
Naga I too find it hard to believe. Bcos Suresh Krishna also has a problem with Raja (or vice versa?) I think.

raja_fan
9th March 2005, 11:35 AM
All rubbish news yaar !
Always these people create some news on Rajini trying to pull IR and everytime it is going false..This is happening from the days of Padayappa..

Cinefan
9th March 2005, 12:14 PM
Even I don't believe it,Rajni&IR are not on the same wave length or at least that's the impression both of them are giving.

raja_fan
9th March 2005, 12:46 PM
Guys !

Hope you all heard Chandramukhi songs ! VS has lifted many music interludes from IR's previous folk songs, particularly in "Athinthom" song..

This shows Rajini has pressurised VS to come out with IR like music..but miserably failed :)

NagaS
9th March 2005, 01:24 PM
chandramuki is available on net somewhere ?

NagaS

raja_fan
9th March 2005, 01:48 PM
Nagas,

available on musicindiaonline

NagaS
9th March 2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks raja fan :)

NagaS

12bums
10th March 2005, 09:50 AM
Behindwoods says Raja has finished composing for Oru Naal Oru Kanavu by Fazil.

http://www.behindwoods.com/News/9-3-05/fazil_kanavu.htm

kiru
11th March 2005, 12:28 AM
As ventured by raja_fan, I am also of the opinion that VS has been mandated to recreate the IR/Rajini era kind of music. I wouldn't go to the extent of saying he 'lifted/copied' but would surely say he has followed IR's style to the hilt in atleast 2 or 3 songs. The orchestration and rhythm arrangements are easy give aways.
(Man..Asha and Madhu what a disappointing contrast in pronounciation ..all the efforts of Madhu in singing are totally wasted. Unlistenable).

I own the VCD of Manichitrathazhu. All songs in it are very good, especially the tamil one. But I cannot say the same about chandramukhi (was the old bharathanatyam dancer swarnamukhi an inspiration for the name ?).

Cinefan
11th March 2005, 10:48 AM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13691099

More on Fazil's 'Oru Naal oru Kanavu'

NagaS
11th March 2005, 02:11 PM
More on "oru naal oru kanavu" ...

http://www.dinakaran.com/weekly/tamil/velli/2005/Mar/11/kanau.html

(I was curious abt who is handling the lyrics department in this movie, Now its fazil - IR's fav. Pazhani bharathi and good old vaalee !)

NagaS

raja_fan
11th March 2005, 03:02 PM
Nagas,

Translation please !