PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the Week: Aug 2006 - Sep 2007

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

yvsmani
6th August 2006, 10:38 PM
kan kanda deivamae is one of my favourite song of both the singers. powerful performance by saritha

Anoushka
7th August 2006, 04:33 AM
RR: you haven't locked the other thread, I ended up posting there :)

RR
7th August 2006, 09:48 AM
Anoushka,

That was deliberate so that comments on songs in that thread can be posted there. So you did post in the right thread :smile2:

madhu
8th August 2006, 06:34 AM
RR..

neenga adhai lock seyyama ponadhalE
adutha song-um angeye poyiduchu :(

RR
8th August 2006, 10:18 AM
oops..! here I am copy/paste-ing it.

RR
8th August 2006, 10:18 AM
Pick #360

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/thanneer_kot.rm

Song: thanneer vitto vaLarthom
Movie: kappalottiya thamizhan
Singer : Tiruchi loganathan
Lyrics: Bharathiar
MD: GRamanathan

My mom recalls that there were only 7 people in the theatre , including herself and my dad , on the day KOT was released . The film was released in Liberty theatre kodambakkam and ran for exactly one week. Till today she wonders why the film was not accepted in its first run(Looks like the reruns did good business).
I watched this film on DD and was just moved by the story and the powerful performances by the ensemble of cast.
The film also had some mesmeresing songs tuned by GR. What i liked more was the usage of TL's voice. He was usually given fun songs like 'kalyaana samayal sadham' . But in KOT he sang some soulful songs written by kavichakravarthy subramaniar bharathy.
Todays song always brings tears to my eyes. The heartful rendition and the meaningful lyrics are just unbeatable.

S.Balaji
8th August 2006, 02:22 PM
[tscii:18b2cb00ad]RR

I wish you had posted this tearful song a week after – on 15th August ! It would have been more appropriate !

VOC’s son himself acknowledged that he could see his Father in Nadigar thilagam !

Such was the precise portrayal of the character which richly deserved a national award

This song appears when VOC operates one Chekku machine inside the prison upon getting to rigorous imprisonment

The primitive Chekku machine which was used to extract oil was operated with immense pain by VOC in Ottapidaram prison & they have kept this machine as a memorial now

When the song touches the words – MELORGAL VENSIRAYIL VEENZDHU KIDAPADHUM…NOOLORGAL SEKKADIYIL NOVADHUVUM KAANGILAYO…. The camera shows the close up shots of Nadigar thilagam writhing in pain as he operates the equipment ……

Truly an unforgettable song ……………..

Indeed , this movie has splendid songs by GR :

1. Velli panimalayin meedhulaavuvom – Tiruchy Loganathan
2. Katru veliyidai kannama – PBS & PS – gem of a melody
3. Vande matharam enbom – Seergazi
4. Odi vilayadu pappa - Seergazi
5. Endru thaniyum indha sudhanthira dhagam – Thiruchy Loganathan
6. Nenjil uram indri – Seergazi

This movie is a GR classic

Despite the then government having given tax exemption, this was a failure . I think B.R.Pandhulu was the producer

S.V.Subbaiah got name & fame by splendid portrayal of Barathiyar

Atleast for this movie Shivaji should have been given an award

[/tscii:18b2cb00ad]

rajeshkrv
8th August 2006, 10:15 PM
balaji, one more song
chinna kuzhandhaigol pol by PS

Anoushka
9th August 2006, 01:49 AM
such a beautiful song :) Thanks for the song RR :) Brings back the memories of watching this movie on Sunday afternoon DD and crying tons :) (And Sadhana Srivasatav of Delhi DD announcing the movie as kaabalOtiya tamizan :lol:)

Ramki
9th August 2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks RR for reposting the song. I didnt notice it went to the archives

Ramki
9th August 2006, 04:54 AM
Pick #361

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/radhi_ovou.rm

Song: radhi devi sannidhiyil
Movie: oru veedu oru ulagam
Singers : TLMaharajan, BSSasirekha
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
MD: MSViswanathan

Whenever i think of TLM songs, todays pick always tops the list. Though he has sung many songs and though todays pick is a popular number, i couldn't pick anyother as this is his best.
An excellent composition from isaimannar for an excellent film.
The rare combination of singers gives the song a unique touch.

OVOU is a fantastic film with superb acting by Shobha and Srikanth.
The song appears in the background as the newly wed couple
shobha and vijaybabu frolick in the shores of the ocean, enjoying the nature and celebrating their honeymoon.

TLM , one of Tiruchi Loganathan's sons made his debut as a child singer in thiruvarutchelvar. His ability to match the voice range
of TMS was beyond his age. As an adult he has a unique voice.
This could be one of the reasons for him not singing many songs in TFM. IR and MSV used him sporadically. His last song with IR is 'andhi mazhai megam'(i think).
Thanks to ARR, he became famous again with 'nee kattum selai madippile' . Since then he has sung few more numbers for ARR among which I love his song in Desam with Hariharan.

Neel D
9th August 2006, 09:44 AM
Ramki,

Nice song rathidevi sannidhiyil. Listening to it after a long time.
A dot is needed in the link before "rm".

Touching song thanneer vitto valarthom. Of all the films with Bharati songs, Kappalottiya Tamizhan is the album I like the most, followed by Ezhavathu Manithan and of course singles such as Nirpathuve Nadappathuve.

Interpreter
9th August 2006, 01:02 PM
Nice song again Ramki. I think Vijaybabu will die at the end of the song.

Was going through the older picks during the weekend and was just thinking that almost all of them are from the 70s and early 80s, when I saw Kappalottiya thamizhan being featured yesterday :)

And just curious- aren't SN23, Vel 1970 and Vasumathi Renga all the same person- our old friend Subbu?

yvsmani
9th August 2006, 02:46 PM
rathi devi sannithiyil - a good duet by two under rated singers. Both have done a fine job. and of course, MSV.

RR
9th August 2006, 02:48 PM
A dot is needed in the link before "rm".

Just fixed the link.

jn
10th August 2006, 02:28 AM
thanneer vittO vaLarththom..... when I listen to this song, I feel guilty that many people do not know the value of all the hardships gone thorugh by so many of our ancestors to attain freedom. TL has brought out the emotions very well.

radhi dhevi song - Listening to it after ages. What about the other songs from this movie? Remember the story vaguely. Shobha is from an orthodox brahmin family and gets married to vijaya babu(?) when she is still in college. I think vijaya babu drowns and dies after this song. Shobha's father- in-law is forward in his thoughts and lets Shobha to continue her education. Srikanth is a professor. apram ninaivillai:(

Ramki
10th August 2006, 04:09 AM
interpreter, when i started POW i was hosting songs from all decades. The response for old songs was not too encouraging. But i always try to sneak in them here and there :)

JN kadasiliye srikanth shobavai kalyanam pannikira maadhiri varum..eppavo DDle paarthadhu.

Ramki
10th August 2006, 04:19 AM
Pick #362

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kayatha_vv.rm

Song: kayatha kaanagathe
Movie: velundu vinaiyillai
Singer : Deepan Chakravarthy
Lyrics: ?

Deepan was the luckiest among the sons of Tiruchi Loganathan .
Not only he got to sing some good songs by IR, he also got to act in films(though that was a bad decision :) ).
He has a decent voice and IR exploited it well. Among the songs he sang for IR, i would rate 'poojaikkaga vaazhum' from kadhal oviyam as his best.
Todays pick, originally sung by the great TRMahalingam in srivaLLi, is not an easy number to reproduce. DC does it really well. I'm not sure in what sequence this song is used in the film.Hopefully not a comedy scene. The original is my fathers favorite. He likes very few
film songs and this is one of them.

Thanks to NeelD for sending this rare song

rajraj
10th August 2006, 04:59 AM
Ramki,
TMS sings part of this song in 'engaL thanga raja' ! :)

madhu
10th August 2006, 05:33 AM
Ramki.. I think "kayadha kanagathE" is for Vijaykanth .. certainly not a comedy scene :)

Interpreter
10th August 2006, 08:12 AM
Very nice song. DC has done a great job.

rra
10th August 2006, 09:07 AM
rajraj: did you mean "Rajapart Rangadurai"?
rra

RR
10th August 2006, 10:35 AM
Ramki.. I think "kayadha kanagathE" is for Vijaykanth .. certainly not a comedy scene :)
yes, madhu. Vijaykanth in vedan vesham.

DC said in an interview that he literally toiled over to get this song done.

I think it's in Jonpuri raga.

SN23
10th August 2006, 11:27 AM
Interpreter: My name is Swaminathan. Not subbu. I will not ask you to interpret your name and I am not curious :-)

jn: In Oru veedu iru ulagam, Major Sundarrajan played the father-in-law role. Excellent performance.

Ramki: "Deepan was the luckiest among the songs of Tiruchi Loganathan". Sons of TL illaya :-)

Vijayakanth's acting for this song, romba pramaadham sirichu sirichu vayiru valikkum :lol:

tvsankar
10th August 2006, 12:02 PM
Dear Ramki,
Nice rendition by DC .Thanks for the rare song !!

Dear RR,
Biravi, JOnpuri. Kaapi -- Indha raagam ellam indha paatil irupadhu pol thonugiradhae?

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

jmahesh
10th August 2006, 01:45 PM
Ramki
This song was partly comedy to watch .
It was Vijaykanth singing for Ambika.Vedan veshathil (Valli getupil irukkum) ambikavai thurathi thurathi paduvaar.
I was regularly listening to your picks , a bit busy ( & lazy ) to comment .

yvsmani
10th August 2006, 02:21 PM
i think a song in arivumani starts with kaayatha kanagaththe (original)

Ramki
11th August 2006, 04:24 AM
vijayakanth as Murugan? OMG. They might not have got koundamanis callsheet.

SN23 ..corrected :)

Mahesh, was wondering what happened to you :)

Ramki
11th August 2006, 04:56 AM
Pick #363

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/amutha_pm.rm

Song: amuthamazhai pozhiyum
Movie: pombaLa manasu
Singer : TLThyagarajan (and ?)
Lyrics: vairamuthu?
MD: Rathna Suriyan (!!)

TLT, the lease popular singer of the TL clan, has a very pleasing voice. Im not sure why he didnt get to sing much.
His duet with VJ from OMP was featured in POW. He also song 'varuvai anbe' with SJ in garjanai.

Few weeks back our in house paadavathi song consultant FM reminded me of this ilangai vanoli popular song :). Its a decent song by debutant MD. Lyrics are very VMish.
FM says there is one more good JC solo 'kadal alai ' in PM. I think PM had Naazar and Ranjani in the lead.

This week we saw four songs by 4 different singers from same family. SPB's family comes close in this category. Anymore such families?(nope not considering IR family ..YSR,kR and Bhava cannot be considered as singers )

Nitya
11th August 2006, 07:29 AM
In "Kaayaatha Kanagathe," I love the substitution of harmonium for violin. I don't think the song is set to Jonpuri though- to me, it sounds more like Bhairavi.

Interpreter
11th August 2006, 07:55 AM
Ramki- nice idea of featuring songs by singers from the same family.

varuvai anbe was by T.K.S.Kalaivanan, if I remember right.

SN23- I already got my question answered :)

From Mars
11th August 2006, 08:16 AM
Ramki :roll:

Actually the lead pair is Raghuvaran & Ranjani. The song came in the background ;)

kadal alai and 'amutha mazhai' was very much popular, every tea kadai was playing these songs regularly. another popular song at that time was 'raasaathi ennai' from 'raasaathi kalyaaNam'.

As per someone!!, TLT has lost shurthi through out the song.
This song still has place in every wedding ceremony!

SN23
11th August 2006, 04:05 PM
Ramki: is Laliha sagari anyway related to TL's family? I vaguely remember one dute by TLT and LS. Not sure though :-)

TLT has a better voice than his brothers but singing style and flexibility are so so :-(

yvsmani
11th August 2006, 04:27 PM
IS kadal alai by PJ, which u are refering to, same as 'kadal alai kaalgalai muththamidum pudhu kalai' ??

jmahesh
12th August 2006, 11:47 AM
Have not heard this song Ramki.
It appears that all sons had a tinge (or is it trying to imitate) of their father's voice .
Though not many in number a few more familiy of singers may include
1)Sirgazhi and son Sivachidambaram
2)Suseela & her DIL Sandhya
3) A.M Raja &jikki ( their son sang in light music programme, not sure about film songs)
4) Ramanan & Uma ramanan
5)KJY & Vijay Yesudos
6) Vkumar & Swarna
7)S.N.Surendar,Shobha & Vijay(sorry , to include him as a singer) :oops:
8)A.R.R , his nephew G.V Prakash , & his sister ( she sang a few lines in Metukudi)
Of course none to beat SPB's family

jmahesh
12th August 2006, 12:58 PM
Sorry Vkumar was not a singer

Ramki
14th August 2006, 12:45 AM
interpreter thanks, its by kalaivanan

SN23, 'aedheho karpanai vandhu' song solreengaLa? I dont know if LS is related to TL's family

Mani adhe song thaan

Mahesh innoru family vittuteenga:)

Deva, sabesh, Murali, srikanth deva, devas daughter sangeetha (she sang one song in a surya film), Febi

:))

Ramki
14th August 2006, 01:04 AM
Pick #364

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/poo_sm.rm

Song: poongodiye poongodiye
Movie: School Master
Singers : SJanaki, SPB
MD: MSV

SBalaji requested this good song from SM. This , i believe, is the second duet SPB-SJ sang together. Was it picturised on Sivakumar and kumari padmini? Not sure.

Another great song from SM is 'thannanthanimaiyile'. This was one of my earlier picks.

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=35142#35142

madhu
14th August 2006, 06:17 AM
wow..

I am hearing this after a looong gap.. nice pick Ramki..

its picturised on Rajasri.. but I forgot the other one.. :oops:

SN23
14th August 2006, 11:16 AM
Ramki: Edhedho karpanai endru thAn nAnum ninaikkirEn :-)

Mahesh: romba mukkiyamAna family combination vittu vitteergaL. SPB+Son Charan+Daughter Pallavi. Some more are TMS & his sons Balraj, Selvakumar, LRE+her sister LRA, Soolamangal Sisters RL & JL & RL's son MuraLi, Radha & Jayalakshmi, Sujatha & her daughter Shwetha Mohan (she had given a private album; beautiful voice), K.Veeramani & his wife Radha, Sons Kannan & Raju... and few more..

Poonkodiye Poonkodiye song picturised on Neelakandan(Debut) & Rajashri. AniyayamAna pair for Rajashri, that too acted as DIL of Gemini Ganesan :lol:

I like a rare duet by SPB & Vasantha (BV not for just humming).... from Ippadiyum oru peN "PongudhE punnagai". Very breezy song for Sivakumar and Kumari Padmini. Have you already hosted this song, Ramki??? If no, host seiyya mudiyumA?

jmahesh
14th August 2006, 09:40 PM
Nice song Ramki.
SN23 you dint read the last line in what I said.
'Of course none to beat SPB's family'
Neengalum S.P shailajavai vituviteerhalae. :)

rajeshkrv
14th August 2006, 10:40 PM
edhedho karpanai was by mano and lalitha sahari from vaikozhuppu MD :chandrabose

Ramki
15th August 2006, 04:22 AM
Madhu thanks

SN23..idhe song idhe song..i always get confused with these 2. I had this song in mind when i said poongodiye was picturised on KP and SK

Ramki
15th August 2006, 04:26 AM
Pick #365

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/nee_br.rm

Song: nee oru kodi
Movie: Bama Rukmani
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
MD: MSV

Song requested by Naaz.He writes

The title says it all. Mythology does not get all that
modern a twist, and Bhagyaraj's bigamist finds himself
caught between Radhika...and a Praveena place.
Released around the time that the director's love life
had the tamil tabloids agog, there was precious else
to recommend the film, except, perhaps, a few fine
tunes by MSV. This duet features B and P in a Boat
Payanam (that sinking feeling?) on that much abused
cellu-lake in Kodaikanal. S Janaki and SPB work with
the melody this time, and the song is a soft, coy
brush of lips on cheek. She gets the flowers, he gets
the following....and we get to hum before we get
angry. Real angry.

Kadhava Theradi Bamaa (MVD) and Gokula Kannan Nee
Endru (VJ) were the two other songs from the film.

premananth
15th August 2006, 09:05 AM
hi all.... !

Ramki sir, Poongkodiye Poongkodiye and Nee oru Kodi are my favourite songs...!

Thanks for host the songs.

I think you've missed the great IR family in your list. GA's son Prem (who sang "thee pidikka thee pidikka" from the movie Arinthum Ariyaamalum) and Vengkat also singgers.

vel1970
15th August 2006, 06:21 PM
SPB sings with sort of disinterest in bhama rukmini song. His pronounciation is also not correct while singing 'uvamaigalale dhamayanthi azhahai puhaYetrinaane pulavan' as SPB sings it as puhaLetrinaane. This song has some resemblemce of kamban yemaandhaan. Whereas school master song is really good with youthfulness in SPB voice and SJ as well.

Naaz
15th August 2006, 09:05 PM
Ramki -

Thanks for featuring this duet! And many more thanks for featuring Kanneer Vittom...as immortal as freedom itself!
SJ is a wild creeper in Poongkodiye. Her LaLaLa opening is a smash.
I hope to hear Nilavondru Kandaen by the same duo...this week?

Naaz

jmahesh
16th August 2006, 12:15 AM
Hearing this song after sometime.
I have seen this movie and remember the story very well.
KB's childhood love is Praveena, marries her and also marries Radhika due to his parents compulsion.He is torn betweeen them ad he with the help of his friend Nagesh try to bring them together.All his efforts go in vain and the movie ends with the scene of someone trying to straighten a dog's tail . It was supposed to be a comedy movie but i remember moving my fascial muscles only to yawn. :)
However this song is very good.In fact I feel the song is sweet & melodious than before( due to the current state of tfm)

Ramki
16th August 2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks everyone.

Premananth i did include IR's family by mentioning that they should not be included :)

Ramki
16th August 2006, 07:13 AM
Pick #366

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/idhaya_tko.rm

Song: idhaya vaasal thirandhapodhu
Movie: thoongatha kaNNendru ondru
Lyrics: Muthulingam?
MD: KVMahadevan

This is a very sweet, 'ghazalish' kind of song by KVM. SJ and SPB further sweeten the tune with their honey drenched voices. The interludes could have been better. A IR-KVM combo would have made the song more grand.

'Thoongaatha kaNendru ondru'. Theatreliyum thoongatha kaNendru ondru ..adhaanga film operator kaNNu. Audience kaNNellaam paadhi padathiliye thoongi theatre fulla kurattai satham vandhirukkum. Padam semathi aruvai. DDle vacha pothu paarthadhu.
Film had Ambika and Mohan. He is an aspiring singer(or MD?) , she is his encouraging girlfriend. He goes to Madras to try his luck. He gets an opportunity. He travels back to his village to share the success. She meanwhile travels to Madras to visit him.
Their trains cross as she gets raped by 4 guys in the train. Maha sogam. I think the film was directed by Sundararajan.

KVM came up with good songs. The climax song 'nee azhaithadhu pol' is an excellent solo by SPB. Was this his last film in tamil?

NOV
16th August 2006, 07:53 AM
Ramki, I was expecting Kannan special in conjunction with gOkulashttami :P

any one of these would do

kannan pirandhaan engal kannan pirandhaan (petraal thaan pillaiyaa)
kannan varum nEramidhu (nenjirukkum varai)
kannan vandhaan angE kannan vandhaan (raamu)
kannanai ninaikkaadha naal illaiyE (seer varusai)
kannan mana nilaiyE thangamE thangam
kannan varuvaan kadhai solluvaan (panjavarnakkili)
gangai karai thOttam
azhaiththavar kuralukku varuvEn endraan
kannaa karumai nira kannaa (naanum oru pen)

From Mars
16th August 2006, 09:43 AM
Ramki I don't think so.

KVM also did 'paai mara kappal' very nice songs.

rajdes
16th August 2006, 10:43 PM
RE: IR family, I think Pavalar or RDBaskar's son gave himself the pseudonym 'Ilayagangai' and scored a music for Vijayakanth. I dont remember the name of the film but one of the stalwarts here sure will!

rajdes
16th August 2006, 10:47 PM
RE: IR family, I think Pavalar or RDBaskar's son gave himself the pseudonym 'Ilayagangai' and scored a music for Vijayakanth. I dont remember the name of the film but one of the stalwarts here sure will!

tvsankar
16th August 2006, 11:54 PM
'Thoongaatha kaNendru ondru'. Theatreliyum thoongatha kaNendru ondru ..adhaanga film operator kaNNu. Audience kaNNellaam paadhi padathiliye thoongi theatre fulla kurattai satham vandhirukkum. Padam semathi aruvai. DDle vacha pothu paarthadhu

Dear Ramki,
Neenda natkaluku piragu kindal comments -- Padika padika -- siripai nirutha mudiyavillai --- :lol:

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
17th August 2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks Usha Shankar

Nov,
Krishna jayanthi will be celeberated again in september :). I plan to host a Kannan song , hopefully a rare one then

Meerakrishna
17th August 2006, 10:58 PM
Ramki,million thanks for 'idaya vasal thirandhupodu' song. Beautifully rendered by both spb and sj. I do have 'poongodiye poongodiye' and 'nee oru kodi', both the songs are very nice. but I never heard this 'idaya vasal' song. I love SJ's chweet voice. Looking for more sj rare songs.

Thanks in advance
Meerakrishna.

Ramki
18th August 2006, 04:59 AM
Pick #367

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sandhikka_vp.rm

Song: sandhikka thudithen
Movie: vedham pudhidhu
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
MD: Devendran

Bharathiraja has this habit, a bad on in that, of not picturising or excluding songs that were recorded for his films. Fabulous songs like malargaLe nadhaswarangaL to puthampudhu kaalai to dhoorathil naan kaNda mugam.
Todays pick is another one of those unfortunate songs that never made it to the screens. From the lyrics i suspect this could be another tune Devendran suggested for 'mandhiram sonnen vandhuvidu' situation.
VM' s beautiful lyrics make you visualise the picturisation. Especially after the lines
'gangaiyai thedi kaaviri nadanthu kalakka varuginradho' and with the swara background, you can visualise amala running through fields temples and aathangarais.
Pity such a good song was not used.

IMO VP was the last good film of BR. The film was biased but not crude like 'idhu namma aaLu'. The performance of sathyaraj, saritha and dasarathy made the film more interesting. Amala's was the weakest performance . She dubbed with her own voice, which brought down her acting score few points lower.
I rarely remember dialogues from films but the one line i remember from VP is the one spoken by the powerful voice of saritha
'endha koilukku ponaalum ellaa saamiyum onnuthe
endha veetukku ponaalum ellaa thaiyum onnuthe
uLLe vaa raasa'

I think kaNNan was the dialogue writer. His debut directorial venture 'amirtham' got some decent reviews.

madhu
18th August 2006, 05:43 AM
Nice one Ramki

I heard this song before the release of VP and was expecting it throughout the movie...

(ada..padam mudinja piragu kooda oru vELai varumO appadinnu pArthEn..)mm.. even "mandhiram sonnEn" is not full in the film.. (BR likes to serve the good songs in instalments.. but sometimes he forgets to give some parts or ... even the complete set )

yvsmani
18th August 2006, 10:39 PM
all the songs hosted recently are super songs...
nee oru kodi is an excellent one.
idaya vaasal endru paarthavudan PJ patto ena oru nimidam enninen..... naan intha padathai theatreil paarththen.... nalla velai appo naan chinna kuzhanthai..... enakku gyabagam iruppathellaam ..... nee azhaithathu pol oru gyabagam song thaan. mohan will sing the song in the train.
santhikka thudiththen is a great song by devendran.... koodiya seekiram mannukkul vairam songs varum ena ninaikiren.. :lol:

jmahesh
19th August 2006, 07:32 PM
Hearing idhaya vasal after a long time.
I have also seen 'Thoongatha kannindru ondru'
and remember the story to an extent.
I think VK Ramasamy played Mohan's father role.
I also remember ascene where Mohan writes a letter to Ambika & she reads the lines 'Anbulla manaiviku' .Udanae Ambika mei marandhu kanavu duet pada arambithu viduvar.Is 'Idhaya Vasal'the song that follows this sequence?

Ramki
21st August 2006, 02:31 AM
Thanks Madhu

Mani, i'm looking for one song from MV. 'ammadi idhu enne vidhi'(KJY,Chitra). Havent found it yet. I think the song was not in the film.
I'm also looking for 'kaalai neeye maalay neey' songs

JMahesh..it could be. gnabagam illai :(

Ramki
21st August 2006, 03:17 AM
Pick #368

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sevvanthiye_uk.rm

Song: sevvanthiye nillu
Movie: ?
Singers : Mano, Minmini
MD: ?

It was 1992. I was travelling with my family in an old ambassador car.We were travelling long distance and all of us were having fun. Suddenly todays song was played. It immediately caught my attention. The tune was catchy, the lyrics were good and i had never listened to it before. I was curious and asked the driver for details. He did not have a clue.
The song was played few times during the trip and i took a liking to it. After the trip i made a copy of the cassette. It was before 'chinna chinna aasai' happened, so minminis voice was not familiar to me. I assumed it as sindhus voice.

Since then i have tried to learn mot details but couldn't. My friends were not aware of this song, Radios never played this song(atleast the times when i listened).

If any of you have the details let me know .

I will also seek your help for the rest of the picks of this week.
Its going to be a week of unknowns.

balaji
21st August 2006, 04:26 AM
Ramki

Indha Paadl adikadi Oli 96.8-il kettadhu.

Padam: Aatha Un Koyilile endru Ninaikkiren.

Numma Copy Mannan Deva Saar than Isai. Yedho Hindi Pattu pola Ulladhu

Nice song, though

Bala

Ramki
21st August 2006, 06:14 AM
Bala , i'm listening to oli for past 13 years and never once listened to them play this song :(. They might have played when i was not listening :(

The song is not from AUK. I have seen that film.

From Mars
21st August 2006, 09:43 AM
This song is not from AUK.

I definitely had this song, but I can't find the CD :( Is it from "pavaLa kodi?" by any chance? I don't think that movie saw the light :)

Nakeeran
21st August 2006, 01:41 PM
Mr. Ramki,

Can u pl post NINAIKUMBODHE THANAKKUL SIRIKUM MADHE

This is one song missed out by MGR in USV .

I picked it from Mr. Manisegaran's writeup on USV

I believe even IR composed 2 songs for MGR but never got released.

Can you unearth such rare songs also pls ?

balaji
21st August 2006, 03:41 PM
Ramki Sir

Roja 92'il vandhadhu. Neega 13 years-a listen panreenga which means since 93. May be the song which came before Roja, could have been frequently played in 92? Is that possible?

Just kidding! Neenga illana Kattayam Illa than. May be Radio 6 was playing it. But sure I have heard this song as it used to remind me of Bappi-das 'Tere liye Main ana, Mere Liya tu bani' from Justice Chowdhry..

Bala

Ramki
22nd August 2006, 03:37 AM
Nakkeerar i will try..by i doubt if i will ever find them.
If anyone reading this page has those songs send them to me, i will host them

FM, 'pavaLa kodi'nnu sirpy musicle oru padam recentaa vandhadhu. idhu pazhaso?

Bala defintely possible :) I dont listen to oli 24 hours..so nan kekkaadha samaythile pottaalum pottirukalaam :)

Ramki
22nd August 2006, 03:40 AM
Pick #369

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kodi_uk.rm

Song: kodi kaalam
Singers : SJanaki, ?

NeelD sent me this song. I have never listened to this one before. He did not have any other details. From the lyrics, i feel the song is sung by a Malayalam speaking girl.

Male voice sounds like TLMaharajan.

Does anyone have more details?

RC
22nd August 2006, 04:28 AM
Ramki: The female voice I hear is SJ. Andha sirippai kEttalE theriyumE... I've heard this song before but have no details. FM ella details-Odayum correct-aa aajar aavaar paarunga..

balaji
22nd August 2006, 05:12 AM
Ramki

Indha Padalum edho ketta padal pola Ulladhu.

The song's style resembles 80s Malayalam songs. Is M.K.Arjunan the MD? (or) K.J.Joy?

Bala

Ramki
22nd August 2006, 06:09 AM
RC, naanum SJanakinnu thaane pottirukken?

Balaji, no idea. IMO the song sounds like MSV's.

RC
22nd August 2006, 06:12 AM
naan adhai gavanikkalai.. :( neenga the song is sung by malayalam speaking girl-nu pOttavudane... vera yaaro-nu ninachutteenga-nu ninachutten...

From Mars
22nd August 2006, 09:37 AM
RC :lol:

enaku indha paadavathi ellam theriyaathu. It's not that impressive song.

Ramki, andha song first ah early 90's ila vandhathu. en kitta full songs listum illa

arunprasad
22nd August 2006, 04:22 PM
Can I request veteran hubbers to post the link to the following song.

athamaga thangathukku enna mayakkam -
this was from the film thangamadi thangam.
ambika in a dual role with s.v.sekhar and direction by rama narayanan.
singers - p.suseela, malaysia vasudevan.
The film was released in the 80s and regularly found a place in ilangai vaanoli. It is a soothing themmangu.
The interlude is particularly melodious.
The film was the regular double act movie - refer vaani raani, enga veetu pillai. one of the twins is naive while the other is street smart. There was this scene about whipping the baddie ( i suppose this was pushpalatha).
This was one of the movies in which ambika played a double role. ( pei veedu and dhandanai are the others).
I would be thankful if anyone can send me this song or post the link.
THanks.

balaji
23rd August 2006, 01:39 AM
Ramki

Prelude MSV song pola irundahalum, Interludes do not reflect his style. This is where many MDS fail, even Vk, SG, MKA, KJ Joy do not do full justice. This is not to say their songs do not have good interludes. IMHO they give reltaively less importance to interludes than you know WHO?

Please surprise us with more songs like these which keeps us wondering who the creators are!

Bala
Bala

Ramki
23rd August 2006, 04:55 PM
Arunprasad, i do not have that song with me.
Sorry :(

Thanks Bala

Ramki
23rd August 2006, 04:57 PM
Pick #370

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/paaduven_uk.rm

Song: paaduven naan malarsuduven naan
Singers : SJanaki

This is an excellent solo by SJanaki. Pity such good songs went almost unheard.

Does anyone have any clue which film the song is from? The interludes are IR-ish but it could be by GA too.

Ramki
25th August 2006, 04:01 AM
Pick #371

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/raagam_uk.rm

Song: raagam thaaLam iruvarin
Singers : SPB, Chitra

I hope this pick will fetch more responses than the previous selections.
I came across this song in one of SPB collections. The CD did not provide any song info.
This is a vibrant song by SPB and Chitra. The singers compete with each other in making the song more enjoyable.
From the sounds i believe this is an ealy 90s song.
From very little classical knowledge i have, i think the song is based on kalyani raagam.

Lyrics are good and i would bet its by VM.
The nayanam interludes are good but i didnt like the chorus.

Who could be the MD? Deva, VS, BB or a one time wonder?

RR
25th August 2006, 08:24 AM
Ramki,

Both are good ones. 'paaduven' I think is Pantuvarali family. 'raagam thaalam' does sound like Kalyani.

balaji
25th August 2006, 04:49 PM
I have seen this song in an Echo/Oriental Non_IR collection. The movie I believe it said was 'Kizakke Oru Kadhal Pattu' or something..

Is Gyan Verma the MD?

Thanks
Bala

From Mars
25th August 2006, 08:12 PM
I believe It's Gyan Varma. Oriental CD has this song. This is is the only good song from that movie :)

Isn't Gyan is the one of guy of the of 'Manoj-Giyan'?

Who was the MD of 'oru iniya udhayam?' VK & Amala movie

balaji
25th August 2006, 09:36 PM
Yes FM, Manoj-Gyan were the MD.
Had that Hindi-ish song 'Agayam ********** - anbE en anbE'...

*****-- Was that eninge? or enadi?

Bala

Ramki
25th August 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks RR.

Thanks Bala and FM for the info. I thought
VS is MD for "kizhakke oru kadhal"?

From Mars
26th August 2006, 04:37 AM
Bala,

It's 'aagaayam yEn ingu azhukindrathu', other songs are :)

aathaa aasai thaangala paartha
madiyila sugam kodu (SPB, VJ)

rajesnkl
26th August 2006, 03:20 PM
Hi i am not about this song.

can u having more these song like

maalathi - karpanaiyoo kai vanthatho
maanthoppu kiliye - maanthoppu kiliye machannai paru

i am expecting this from ur collection.

thanks

rajes

Ramki
28th August 2006, 01:09 AM
rajesnkl i do not have you requests. I will host them if i can find them.

Ramki
28th August 2006, 01:17 AM
Pick #372

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ponguthe_iop.rm

Song: ponguthe punnagai
Movie: ippadiyum oru peN
Singers : SPB, BVasantha
MD: Banumathi

Thanks SN23 for requesting this song.

'ippadiyum oru peN' is one of the 3 (?) films that had music by actress Banumathi.
Though the song is highly inspired from few hindi tunes(the starting is direct lift of 'kora kaagaz' song from aaradhana), it is still highly listenable. SPB is at his sweetest best and BV sounds almost like SJ.

'naane raadha kaNNa' is the other good song i remember from IOP.

I believe IOP had sivakumar, kumari Padmini and Banumathy.

yvsmani
28th August 2006, 11:47 AM
A nice duet by SPB and vasantha. eppoluthu venum endraalum kettu konde irukkalaam.

SN23
28th August 2006, 01:37 PM
Ramki Anna.... excellent duet that you hosted today. Mikka Nandri. I listened to it so many times but still fresh for me. BV is lovely in this song, may be her career-best-duet. Pity that she was branded as humming queen. I find a lot of flexibility in her voice and singing. Esp, in this song. PB has done good justice to her music direction.I saw the song in songs VCD collection. Kum.Padmini, one of the actresses acted in many films with Sivakumar. Excellent jodi poruththam.

Manorama has said in an interview that she had sung a song alongwith PB in IOP (Refer http://www.thehindu.com/2005/12/28/stories/2005122817820200.htm). But not mentioned which song it is.

Naaz
28th August 2006, 08:33 PM
Ramki -

Evergreen duet! I also long to hear "Naane Raadha Kannaa" by Banumathy...it takes me back to those black & white Oliyum Oliyum evenings on ECTV!

If you have the PS-SPB duet "Oru Kaadhal Devathai, Iru Kannil Poo Mazhai, Ival Raja Vamsamo, Rathi Devi Amsamo" could you please feature it sometime? A song I've been craving to listen to for many, many years!

Ramki
29th August 2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks everyone.
Naaz sure.

Ramki
29th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Pick #373

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/athai_tt.rm

Song: athai maga thangathukku
Movie: thangamadi thangam
Singers : PSuseela, Malaysia Vasudevan
MD: iLaiyaraja

When arunprasad requested this song, i had no clue about the song. Thanks to NeelD, i got a chance to listen to it and realised that i had listened to it few times before in ilangai vanoli.
Its a rustic duet by PS and MV. The song starts like a thalattu song but soon turns out to be a seductive one with some not so subtle lyrics(GA?). Surprisingly PS does a lot of giggling in the song(not that she is doing this for the first time).

Arunprasad mentioned in his post that TT had ambika in a dual role with SVSekar. Is the song picturised on SVS??? Hope not.

balaji
30th August 2006, 06:05 AM
Ramki

Indha Paadal did get a fair share of playing. However PS and MV were very poor choices. Wait. Had SJ/SPB had sung, would it have been any better? Sorry do not think so.

Anyways, what was GA thinking?

Also the movie had one more hero, was that Adam/Albert??

The movie also had some PS solos. may be Kalai sir must have mentioned sometime ago

Thanks for the song arunprasad

Bala

jmahesh
30th August 2006, 09:38 AM
Have heard this song long time ago and virtually lost from my memory.Thanks Ramki & Arunprasad for bringing this song back .

arunprasad
30th August 2006, 12:21 PM
Ramki,
I cant thank you enough for uploading my song request. you have made my day.
The male lead featured in the song was a novice and thankfully not svs.

vel1970
30th August 2006, 07:53 PM
Ramki... first I am listening to this TT duet. How many songs IR had created on this base folky tune. Mudhanai mudichu "velakku vecha" has the same base.

MV sounds too folky not gelling with PS who is quite apt. Lil konjal in 2nd half is sweet :-)

vel1970
30th August 2006, 08:06 PM
SN: Pls bear with me for my comments on Pongudhe punnagai song. Kora ka (aradhana) song humming has been completely copied by Banumathi. SPB strains too much in this mediocre tuned song. Becomes better in charanams. BV sings as if it is for Kutty padmini not Kumari padmini :-)

natha1729
30th August 2006, 10:01 PM
Ramki, super sir!!!! all forgotten because only ilangai oliparappu used to play this at the times!!!! the other Pongudhe Punnagai is another brought back from the forgotten corner stores of our memories!!!!

seems like this is never ending! i am also searching for an exciting duet from Kanni Theevi "idhu oru pudhu vidha.."

Thanks so much for the athai maga thangathakku

btw, dhool.com has featured another lost treasure from ilangai oliparappu currently

natha1729
30th August 2006, 10:05 PM
it is muthu rathamo from ponnagaram (gem of a duet), which used to be played along with Ponvanile a KJY-Gangai Amaran song, which was similar to and played alongside "Ponnaram poovaram" the famous SPB song played always in ilangai oliparappu with Malai Sevannam fro Ilayaraajavin Rasikan. What a stream of nostalgia, even then!!!!

yvsmani
30th August 2006, 10:49 PM
aththai maga thangathukku - ok song. seems like heard it often in radio.

Ramki
31st August 2006, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your response

vel, i too thought the tune was an oft repeated one.

tfmlover, 'oru iniya udhayam' is by Manoj-Gyan

Ramki
31st August 2006, 05:37 AM
Pick #374

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/nee_nns.rm

Song: nee ninaithaal
Movie: nilave nee saatchi
Singers : MSViswanathan, LREswari
Lyrics: vaali?

Couple of weeks back, Mahesh reminded me of this song. He pointed out the similarity between this and 'rambambam' .
Even though i had listened to this song before, i never saw the connection. I wouldnt say its exactly similar but close. I also read that rambambam was inspired from an english song. So both MSV and IR could have been inspired from same source.

inspiration or not todays song is a fun number . MSV sings in a different voice and LRE gives him full support in her own style.
I know NNS had KRV,Jaishankar and Ravichandran. Hopefully the song was not picturised on KRV. If it is then the song will also be fun to watch :roll:

RC
31st August 2006, 06:47 AM
Ramki: Thanks for the song. I listened to this sometime last week and couldnt believe that it was MSV singing. In fact, I was planning to ask you to host this one.

madhu
31st August 2006, 07:21 AM
Ramki..

Hopefully the song was not picturised on KRV.

sila samayam unga manasai kallA vachukkittu padam paakka veNdiyadhuthAn.. Jai and KRV...:cry2:

manasa thethikunga :noteeth:

RR
31st August 2006, 08:27 AM
Ramki & Mahesh

Rare one. Was longing to listen to this - just like periyapps. MSV & LRE rock :thumbsup: But this is more of waltz. Rumbambam is clear rock 'n roll whose possible inspiration is Bill Haley Comets cult hit "Rock around the clock". (Check out a music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsolqP4tscI) of it - one of my favorites. Don't forget to watch the accompanyments :D )

natha1729
31st August 2006, 08:44 AM
Ramki, from where are you getting these lost forgotten MMMMMMasterpieces? Superb song, just tells you unknown dimensions of MSV. I can see from where IR got total inspiration for the RumBUm song, which I used to think was an exciting IR original!

Thanks, Sir.

NOV
31st August 2006, 09:06 AM
stuck in an elevator with jai
antha vexing..sound between song from the elevator
beautifully pictured with spasmodic jerk s:shock:

my personal experience when was 17.... and in college... after a party... in a lift with some boys and gals....I switched off the lights as the lift was descending... and sang ... nee ninaiththaal innEraththilE EdhEdhO nadakkum .... heard a girl screaming... :shock: .... but I continued singing.... laughing all the way..... until lift touched ground floor.... upon switching on the light... one gal gave me a nasty look.... and never spoke to me again.... till the end of our college life......never knew the reason..... until some 10 years later :shock:
some idiot guy.... had taken advantage of the situation.... and had groped the gal :shock: .... when the lights were switched off ..... and the gal had thot it was me! :shock: :oops:

so, this song brngs back memories :oops2:

SN23
31st August 2006, 10:10 AM
Vel :lol: on K.Padmini

Ramki: kalakkareenga. LRE is superb in this song. Adhu nichayamA MSV thAnA? Very very rare number to listen and enjoy. ThanQ Sir :-)

Athai maha song is just fine. Typical IR song of 80's.

umaramesh
31st August 2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for this master piece. I too surprised when I hear first humming AA HAAA from male voice. Just week back i have recollected this song in LUDES OF MSV. To my surprise I got this here. thanks a lot.

Fine support from LRE and amazing interlude.

ramesh

gingerbeehk
31st August 2006, 04:57 PM
Hi friends,
I am new to this thread, but it seems amaging here. The collection which found here are really gems...no any second words. I am very eagerly looking for some more 70's rare collections. Needs songs from:

ENNADI MEENAKCHI (ALL SONGS)
NEEYA (ALL SONGS)
PAATHAI MAARINAL (ALL SONGS)
DEVATHAI (ALL SONGS)
ORE MUTHAM (ALL SONGS)
INIKKUM ILAMAI(ALL SONGS)

and more & more. Please help me to get songs .

Noble jack

RC
31st August 2006, 06:47 PM
When I hum this song - nee ninaithaal - I end up with kaadhal raaNi kattikidakka from thirisoolam... I'm know nothing about raagas and am not sure if both belong to the same categroy or not.

vel1970
31st August 2006, 10:59 PM
MSV did super singing in nilave nee satchi song. Terrific song Ramki. Many thanks.

tvsankar
1st September 2006, 12:40 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song.School days il kettadhu.SPB yin humming madhiri feel panni iruken.Nice tune by MSV !!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
1st September 2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses and recollections.

Indha vidhyasamaana padalukkuthaan ethanai rasigargaL :)

Ramki
1st September 2006, 03:08 AM
Pick #375

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/unakkum_eti.rm

Song: unakkum enakkum vegu dhooramillai
Movie: edhaiyum thaangum idhaiyam
Singer : Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi
MD: TRPappa

Starry night. You sit on the terrace with the radio on. Lots of noise around you. Honking car, blending mixer, whistling cooker, chirping crickets, shouting children. Then unexpectedly radio plays this song.
The soft breezy voice of SR will automatically shut all the surrounding noise and will force you to concentrate only on the song. Nothing else will distract you.
Such is the power of this sweet melody., one of the , no, IMO the best song by SR.
ETI had KRRamasamy, SSR, vijaykumari and Muthuraman. Though i have watched the film long long back on DD, I just remember this. Muthuraman played the father of SSR and KRR.
Casting can not get any more weird.
The film had one more good song 'uLLam thedaathe endru solludhe'(KRR, SJ).

madhu
1st September 2006, 07:55 AM
wow ! superb song Ramki..
SR is good at some soft melodies like this one and songs like "manadhil koNda" with PS in mAdapuRA !

gingerbeehk
1st September 2006, 09:52 AM
Intha Ramkikku mattum engiruthuthan intha collectionlam kedikkutho? Kalakkunga thalaiva.......

umaramesh
1st September 2006, 04:07 PM
This song somehow resembles THULLATHA MANAMUM THULLUM from kalyana parisu.

ramesh

tvsankar
1st September 2006, 11:57 PM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song.Nice tune.SJ voice enru enaku therndhadhu ellam bhakthi padalil dhan.This one is very nice. Beautiful lyrics !!!
Indha song Ennudaiya favourite song agi vittadhu !!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
4th September 2006, 04:35 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Ramki
4th September 2006, 06:01 AM
Pick #376

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/iru_v.rm

Song: iru maangani pol
Movie: vairam
Singers : Jayalalitha, SPB
MD: TRPappa

I'm not a fan of kozha kozha voice of Jayalalitha. This song is an exception. She tries real hard to match SPB's charismatic voice.

The song is a direct lift of 'kuch kehta hai saawan' from mera gaon mera desh(MD-Laxmikanth pyarelal). The original was sung by LathaM and MRafi. Rafi is SPB's idol. No wonder SPB wants to give his best.

I have no clue about this film vairam. Was it a remake of MGMD?. I know the original had Ashaparekh, dharmendra , vinod khanna etc. Who were the actors in tamil?

RC
4th September 2006, 06:39 AM
I think Vairam had Jaishankar, Jayalalitha, Asokan and others in the cast. It was all about finding the diamonds located in a box(?) that lays in Jayalalitha's Carriage, I think. sariyaa gnabagam illai..

indha padam Jayalalitha-kkaagave Odichu-nu ninaikkiren..

madhu
4th September 2006, 07:36 AM
Ramki..

I think vairam is the remake of "victoria no. 203" where the diamond is hidden in the lamp of a chariot..

some other songs I remember from the film are... "pArthen oru azhagi konjam pazhagi" by TMS and "idhu saavi pudhiya saavi idhan pootu enge konjam kaami".. "iravu muzhudhum virundhu vaikinren" by MRV

I remember the original heroine was "saira banu"

balaji
4th September 2006, 07:39 AM
Nice song Ramki

This movie was based on 'Victoria NO 203" acted by Navin Nischol and Saira Banu. The song sequence in Tamil resembles the hindi Movie, though TRPapa could have been not impressed with Sonik-Omi song.

Nice movie in Hindi and was a big hit (was it Asokan in Jeevan's role?)

Bala

poo
4th September 2006, 09:36 AM
I did see vairam. IT wasremake of VIctoria no. 203. Even though the duet singing pair was navin nischol and saira banu the real lead men were ashok kumar and pran.
I think there was ashokan in the tamil version. I do not rememberwho the other old man was.
Victoria no. 203 was based on some James Hadley Chase novel.

SN23
4th September 2006, 11:32 AM
Ramki: Soolamangalam's best song (IMO) is pOi vaa magaLe. But in ETI song also, she excels. Very soft and gentle rendition.

Heard that Vairam was a super hit though it was a re-make. Ashokan played comedy villain role alongwith Srikanth. I saw a song sequence for Jayalalitha (solo by herself) mayakking Srikanth. J looked so hefty (in arai-kurai aadai) in front of Srikanth. I think her duet with PS in Thirumangalyam "Thirumangalyam koLLum murai illaiyO" was great, of course J's part was like musical dialogues and not complete song.

Ramki
5th September 2006, 04:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the details. I didnt know
vairam is a popular film.

SN23 'poi vaa'is a good song but IMO her voice did not suit for NT

Ramki
5th September 2006, 04:42 AM
Pick #377

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/idhaya_v.rm

Song: idhaya vaanil ulavugindra
Movie: vadivangaL
Singers : SPB, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: vairamuthu
MD: Chandrabose

CB is one of the few MD's who can do music for a rajinikanth film or a NaLinikanth film without much fuss. He knew his talents were limited and always worked with few catchy or melodious tunes.
Todays pick is one of those hummable songs by CB.
The film had vanithashree and a new guy in the lead.
Good lyrics and clear rendition by the lead singers are plus points of this nice song.

natha1729
5th September 2006, 04:54 AM
Super song, very nostalgic duet.

gingerbeehk
6th September 2006, 08:53 AM
Idhaya Vaanil...undoubtably wonderful song. CB score well in this song. thanks for posting this great melody.

6 Pushpangal (Aendi Mutthamma) sung by CB, but music by MSV, if i am not wrong.

Thanks,
Jack

gingerbeehk
6th September 2006, 09:02 AM
Is anyone have the following song please post .

Movie : INIKKUM ILAMAI
Song : MAALAI MAYANGINAL IRAVAGUM
Sung by: PBS & S.P.Sailaja.
Music: Shankar-Ganesh.
I had heard this nice song in the singapore radio. i am sure everyone will like thi song too.

Thanks,
Jack

Naaz
6th September 2006, 08:21 PM
Ramki -

Unakkum Enakkum by SR is an inspired pick! Thanks for bringing it here! Idhaya Vaanil is also a lingering duet, although I wish the recordings of these songs was on par...but still a pleasure to listen to after many years. CB was a no-hype MD, and he did his work without getting caught up in the "numbers" game. This duet reminded me of another nice duet by SJ/SPB for CB: "Atho Vaanile Nila Oorvalam..." If I remember correctly, it was from "Thandanai"?
Thanks for these rare revivals!

Naaz
6th September 2006, 08:21 PM
Ramki -

Unakkum Enakkum by SR is an inspired pick! Thanks for bringing it here! Idhaya Vaanil is also a lingering duet, although I wish the recordings of these songs was on par...but still a pleasure to listen to after many years. CB was a no-hype MD, and he did his work without getting caught up in the "numbers" game. This duet reminded me of another nice duet by SJ/SPB for CB: "Atho Vaanile Nila Oorvalam..." If I remember correctly, it was from "Thandanai"?
Thanks for these rare revivals!

yvsmani
6th September 2006, 10:44 PM
I am hearing this song for the first time, I think. Both the singers make an otherwise unattractive song to be an attractive one. I could feel nothing great about music. (usual CB style)

Ramki
7th September 2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks guys

Jack i have the inikkum iLamai song. Look for it here next week.

Ramki
7th September 2006, 06:55 AM
Pick #378

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sugam_sov.rm

Song: sugam tharum nila ennai
Movie: sattam oru viLaiyattu
Singers : SPB, chitra
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan

MSV, even at his sagging end of his career, never ceased to produce melodies like todays pick. And the lyrics. You have to listen to it to see how easily it flows from line to line. Nothing seems forced or unwanted. Lyricists like pulamaipithan should be recognised more and rewarded/awarded for their poetic talents.
SOV had another good sung 'oru brindhavanam engaL'(SPB,VJ,shobha chandrasekhar)

'SOV' is another product from SAC's 'revenge' theme factory. It had Vijaykanth, Radha, ravichandran, srividya etc. Actor vijay played the baalya VK's character in the film.
The irony (and the sad thing) is both are leading heroes now. VK is still singing duets in colorful costumes with heroines half and quarter his age. How he manages to be a hero for past 25 years will always be an unsolved mystery.

gingerbeehk
7th September 2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys

Jack i have the inikkum iLamai song. Look for it here next week.

Oh..great Ramki,
I am so eager to get it. Please post more Rare 70's.

Jack

RR
7th September 2006, 09:53 AM
Lyricists like pulamaipithan should be recognised more and rewarded/awarded for their poetic talents.
Recent 'award' was: penning all songs in "Imsai arasan 23-m pulikesi" :smile2:

umaramesh
7th September 2006, 10:19 AM
Ramki

I think MSV gave melodious songs for SAC films. we have one more CHINNACHIRU KILIYAE KANNAMMA under same director movie.

Thans for this melody.

ramesh

yvsmani
7th September 2006, 10:30 PM
I think oru brindavanam enga veedanathu overshadowed this song and got more airtime than this song. Of course, no doubt, it is a good song.

rajeshkrv
7th September 2006, 10:44 PM
ramki your qn reg vk applies to kamal/rajini aswell

Ramki
8th September 2006, 06:20 AM
RR :)

Ramesh, thats true. I also like the 'kasthoori maankutiyaam' from raajanadai

Rajeshkrv - very true. But kamal and Rajini have talent and charisma that vijaykanth and others lack.

Ramki
8th September 2006, 06:24 AM
Pick #379

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/pushpa_tk.rm

Song: pushparagam chakravagam
Movie: thani kudithanam
Singers : LREswari, SPB
Lyrics: vaali

I acted in this film!

Now i have your attention :).
I was 7 or 8, i dont remember. Me and my mom were visiting our friends in virugambakkam. Towards the afternoon the area became real busy.Details are foggy but this is what i remember.
cars were piling up, cameras were pulled out. 'shooting edukkiraangaLaam' the phrase caught everyones attention and curiosity. We all walked to a schoolground , the shooting spot. Someone was making people to gather around a jaanvaasa car.We also joined.
The scene that was shot that day was the jaanvaasa car getting a flat tire. We were asked to shout 'aah'
after the tire bursts. I remember mahendran sitting in the car all dressed up like a mappiLLai. I remember KRVijaya arriving ready for the shot. She was heavily made up with a green madisaar pudavai etc.
This single shot was taken till late evening. I remember shouting 'aahh' few times :)
But i never got to watch this film :(
So if you ever get a chance to watch this film, look for a 8 yr old boy shouting aaaaah in the scene. That could be very well me :)

About the song. The pallavi is quite different .. i wonder if the tune was set to the lyrics of vice versa.
If it is viceversa then vaali has done a real good job as the sandhams are quite difficult.
I know cho was KRV's pair in TK. Who was Mahendrans jodi? Sangeetha?

RC
8th September 2006, 07:18 AM
Ramki: ivLo naaLaa neenga oru nadigar-ndra vishayam theriyaama pOchE.. :)

gingerbeehk
8th September 2006, 08:37 AM
Seri..vidunga RC. Ellam nanmakkaga irukkum. Appuram Ramki, vera entha padattilelam ahhh shattam potinga? konjam list podunga. Ellam oru thamasthan nanbare....kovicchukathinga.

Ramki: ivLo naaLaa neenga oru nadigar-ndra vishayam theriyaama pOchE.. :)

gingerbeehk
8th September 2006, 08:39 AM
Romba arumaiyana paattuma....Nandrigal palakodi....

Pick #379

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/pushpa_tk.rm

Song: pushparagam chakravagam
Movie: thani kudithanam
Singers : LREswari, SPB
Lyrics: vaali

I acted in this film!

Now i have your attention :).
I was 7 or 8, i dont remember. Me and my mom were visiting our friends in virugambakkam. Towards the afternoon the area became real busy.Details are foggy but this is what i remember.
cars were piling up, cameras were pulled out. 'shooting edukkiraangaLaam' the phrase caught everyones attention and curiosity. We all walked to a schoolground , the shooting spot. Someone was making people to gather around a jaanvaasa car.We also joined.
The scene that was shot that day was the jaanvaasa car getting a flat tire. We were asked to shout 'aah'
after the tire bursts. I remember mahendran sitting in the car all dressed up like a mappiLLai. I remember KRVijaya arriving ready for the shot. She was heavily made up with a green madisaar pudavai etc.
This single shot was taken till late evening. I remember shouting 'aahh' few times :)
But i never got to watch this film :(
So if you ever get a chance to watch this film, look for a 8 yr old boy shouting aaaaah in the scene. That could be very well me :)

About the song. The pallavi is quite different .. i wonder if the tune was set to the lyrics of vice versa.
If it is viceversa then vaali has done a real good job as the sandhams are quite difficult.
I know cho was KRV's pair in TK. Who was Mahendrans jodi? Sangeetha?

Neel D
8th September 2006, 06:27 PM
Nice song. Thanks Ramki.

Here is an interview with LRE from today's The Hindu.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/09/08/stories/2006090801930300.htm

vel1970
8th September 2006, 10:50 PM
Nalla thamash ramki. I enjoyed reading your thalaikaattal episode in Thanikudithanam.

On the song... very very ordinary tune, except that T.Rajender's style of adukku mozhi used in stating pallavi. Another aspect to note that one of the handful number of duets of SPB & LRE.

I have seen this stage drama of 'Marina' group. One actress called Shoba acted in KRV's role. That was simply great compared to artificial acting of KRV. Aiyer bhashai was too far for KRV and she was a total wrong cast for the key role.

yvsmani
9th September 2006, 12:11 AM
thanks for this nice song Ramki. I am hearing after a long.... long time. (decades).... in fact maranthae poyachchu ippadi oru pattu iruppathai. SPBin young voice as well as LRE voice are so good in this song. thanks once again.

Naaz
9th September 2006, 04:58 AM
Ullaasam Kondaadum En Oonjal Ennangal...indeed! This duet is a merry memory swing for sure! Like mani, I had also completely erased this song from my consciousnness...and how thrilling to find it here today!
Thanks for this joyful ditty from the 70s, Ramki!

madhu
9th September 2006, 06:45 AM
Ramki..

ellarukkum vayasayiduchu enbadhai ippadi ninaivu paduthuvadhai naan vanmaiyaga ......

.... AmOdhikkiREn :lol:

innum rare song-sai aLLi vidungO !

gingerbeehk
9th September 2006, 08:31 AM
Can any one tell me which movie & MD of the following song. I had listen in the Malaysian Radio few days before, but no any information about the song. Simply the song is excellent tune of 70's.

Song: SEVVANTHI POOVIN KANNANGAL MEETHIL
Singer: S.P.B & P.S.
Music: ?
Can please post that song? if any one have? I guess Ramki might have it.

Jack

madhu
10th September 2006, 02:25 PM
Can any one tell me which movie & MD of the following song. I had listen in the Malaysian Radio few days before, but no any information about the song. Simply the song is excellent tune of 70's.

Jack

HI GB

I think the first line is..

"muthukkaL sindhi thithikkum mozhiyil kaNNE viLaiyAdu
sevvandhi poovin kannangaL meedhu chithira kOlamidu"

the film is "yArukku mapiLLai yArO"

Ramki
11th September 2006, 02:13 AM
vel,
Other than Manorama, i dont think any other actor get the bhramnical accent right.

Jack, sorry i dont have that song. Regarding your inikkum iLamai song, you will have to wait one more week. This week i have planned for a
different special :)

Ramki
11th September 2006, 02:38 AM
Pick #380

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kurumbinilum_mm.rm

Song: kurumbinilum oru ezhil thondrum
Movie: manithan maaravillai
Singer : PSuseela
MD: Ghantasala

This is one of the few songs where the remake version sounds much better than the original. Lyrics wise, music wise and voice.
Esp voice. Though suseela also sang the original (film guntamma kadha), she is at her best in the tamil version. kuralil kuzhaivu, gambeeram, bhakthi, paasam ellaam kalandhu paadirupaar.
(Listen to the original at http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/27/s/movie_name.6011/music_director.822)

I have seen the original , which had NTR,savithri, Jamuna etc. Film had some good songs including
'inbamaana iravidhuve'(ALR/PS),
'kadhal yathiraikku'(ALR/PS),
'thendral paadavum'(PS)

etc

P.S: Some of us will celebrate(including me) gokulashtami/krishna jayanthi/sri jayanthi on 15th sep. So i plan to make this week 'kaNNan' week. Hope you will all like my selections.

jn
11th September 2006, 05:08 AM
Ramki: Excellent choice. Lyrics, PS's kuzhaivaana voice and picturisation are very good.
By listening to this song wihtout watching it, I thought a mother is singing it for her child. But I was surprised to watch Savithiri (looks so beautiful), sings it for Gemini who enjoys the song though he pretends to be angry. :)
I enjoy this song every time I listen to it. :)

madhu
11th September 2006, 06:34 AM
Jn..

oru siRandha kudumbathil kaNanvan enbavan manaivikku mudhal kuzhandhai illaiyO.. adhanal indha picturisation is pucca...

innumm enna enna kaNNan pAdalgaL ? :roll:

Ramki.. I am searching for the full version of the song "kanavu kaNdEn kaNNA" from the film "pasa dheepam" .. is it possible ? :P

gingerbeehk
11th September 2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks Ramki,
I am waiting for it. Also, i wish to see your weekly special.

Jack

Jack, sorry i dont have that song. Regarding your inikkum iLamai song, you will have to wait one more week. This week i have planned for a
different special :)[/quote]

gingerbeehk
11th September 2006, 07:28 AM

Jack

HI GB

I think the first line is..

"muthukkaL sindhi thithikkum mozhiyil kaNNE viLaiyAdu
sevvandhi poovin kannangaL meedhu chithira kOlamidu"

the film is "yArukku mapiLLai yArO"

Thanks Madhu,
Yes..that is the songs i required. Do have it? if yes..pls post it.

Jack

vel1970
11th September 2006, 07:21 PM
Ramki: Perfect your narration on PS song. Apt Gambeeram + Midhamana uNarvu + Thigattadha sweetness in voice + above all that crystal clear words. There is no replacement yet for her. After reading posts of Jn and Madhu, I could imagine how Savithri and GG would have acted. Savithri has that charm in her face with beautiful eys. She must have enjoyed acting for this song.

To surprise you, this is the first time I am hearing this song.

Hey, how about Sowcar Janaki for Aiyer bhashai? She is damn good in pronounciation... nannaa irukkumOliyO :lol:

rajeshkrv
12th September 2006, 08:56 PM
sowkar janaki will do apt justice
and chachu also

Sujatha did an awesome job in paritchaiku neramachu ..

Ramki
13th September 2006, 06:19 AM
Pick #381

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/oh_aok.rm

Song: oh krishna prabhu
Movie: avaL oru kaaviyam
MD: VKumar

Another nice song with melody enhancement by PSuseelas voice and rendition.

Thanks to DD, i got to watch obscurities like AOK. It had Jaiganesh, Sumithra and Savithri. I think this was NT's
last film. She played JG's mother and had a better role than the ones she had in petra manam pithu etc.
In fact the avaL in the title referred to savithris character..yes she dies in the climax and becomes a kaviyam.
Todays song is picturised on Sumithra.

RR
13th September 2006, 10:42 AM
Nice one, but seems inspired by Lata's 'nanda nandana' meera bhajan.

gingerbeehk
13th September 2006, 08:36 PM
Nice one. I thought this song composed by M.S.V. now only i know it is by V.Kumar. Thanks for good song and informations.

yvsmani
13th September 2006, 10:49 PM
good rendition by PS and soft music by Vkumar enhances this song.

Ramki
14th September 2006, 06:27 AM
Thank you guys :)

Ramki
14th September 2006, 06:46 AM
Pick #382

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kaatrinile_ror.rm

Song: kaatrinile varum geetham
Movie: rasigan oru rasigai
Singer : Vani Jairam
Lyrics: pulamaipithan
MD: Ravindran

One of my favorite Vani jairam solos and the only one(?) song she sang for Ravindran in tamil. She begins the song with her gambeera aalabanai and continues the song with same vigor throughout. Except for the abaswara drums , the interludes are good too. Do not miss the musical piece at the end of the song.

ROR was discussed in detail when another song was hosted in POW.

vel1970
14th September 2006, 07:31 AM
Ramki, the humming part before reaching pallavi is very special in Krishna prabhu song. I never heard about this film at all. Such a good song wasted in unknown film (at least to me)

VJ super in ROR song. Aalab is the greatest part of the song. Thank you a lot

RR
14th September 2006, 08:56 AM
This song is in Nattai raga (no surprise if you were reminded of 'mahaganapathim' alapana and this).

Ramki,
the previous ROR song we hosted is here (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=78935#78935).

tvsankar
14th September 2006, 11:58 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the rare gem.Nice rendition by VJ.The violin piece is so Great.

Dear RR,
Thanks for the lilnk. Katrinilae padalil konjam thilang aiyum feel pannugiren.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
14th September 2006, 07:43 PM
Beautiful song kARRinilE. Thanks Ramki.

If I remember correctly, VJ may have sung a song in Laksmi Vanthachu, composed by Raveendran. But I have never heard the song. Does anyone know if there is one?

Ramki
15th September 2006, 06:03 AM
Vel, My pleasure

RR and Usha shankar thanks for the details.

NeelD, im not aware of her song in LV but i think she sang for Padmini in 'thaaye neeye thunai'. I think its a duet with Chitra.

Ramki
15th September 2006, 06:46 AM
Pick #383

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kannan_kv.rm

Song: kaNNan varuvaan indru
Movie: kaNNan varuvaan
Singers : Jikki, PSuseela
MD: Shankar Ganesh

A rare duet by the TFM veterans. Though jikkis voice shows her age, she still sounds good. PS , as always, is in best form.
I think the song is picturised on Lakshmi (PS)and venniradai Nirmala(Jikki). Jaishankar was the hero.

I have no other details. 'Poovinum melliya poongodi' is another popular song from KV.

jn
15th September 2006, 08:34 PM
Ramki: Nice treats for Sri jayanthi. :)
KaaRRinile varum geetham is one of my favourite songs where VJ is at her best. :) Thanks.

From Mars
16th September 2006, 01:23 AM
Jn kula deivathai maathitaangaLa? :)

I'm not aware of any VJ song in LV.

Naaz
16th September 2006, 06:05 AM
Ramki -

Kurumbinilum is a lovely solo in which PS sounds young and pure. A fine choice to begin the Kannan Week!
Kaatrinile Varum Geetham is one of Raveendran's stellar compositions (I prefer it to Aezhisai Geethamae, which got more air-time) and VJ renders it impeccably. Regarding your "abaswaram drums" comment: This solo is the opening titles song (Ambika as Karnatak singer a la Sri Vidya and Aezhuswarangal in AR) and that "tonal" ("konal"?) shift in the orchestra is when "Nadanam"Saleem or "Publicity": Elegant is flashed on the screen....or was it Stunts and Stills? :D And that's the context for the jarring bit in the interlude...Being a titles track, I don't believe this song was featured on any of the song-clips shows on DD.

Great week, and great going!

vel1970
16th September 2006, 08:29 PM
Jikki romba kashta padraanga. But trying to manage.

Ramki, is there any problem at the end of the song. Suddenly it stops and begins again with a bit by Jikki. Any tech snag (airlines language)?

Ramki
18th September 2006, 05:16 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Vel- the song was transferred from a cassette
and it is this way in the cassette too.

Ramki
18th September 2006, 05:24 AM
Pick #384

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/maalai_ii.rm

Song: maalai mayanginaal
Movie: inikkum iLamai
Singers : PBSrinivas, SPShailaja
MD: Shankar Ganesh

PBS is one of the popular singers whose career went downswing after the entry of singers like SPB, KJY, JC etc. His voice was best suitable for soft characters played by Gemini Ganesan, Kalyan kumar etc. With the advent of angry heroes in the 70s his voice did not find any use with our MDs.
His only tryst with IR 'thendrale nee pesu' did not find many listeners.
How many songs did he even sing in 70's?
'Inikkum iLamai' had Sudhakar, Radhika and Vijaykanth. I believe its VK's first film.
Im not sure if LRE solo inikkum iLamai ennidam irukku is from this film.

madhu
18th September 2006, 05:30 AM
Hi Ramki..

anyway PBS was giving his best.. reminding me of "kaatru vandhal thalai saayum" song :)
BTW "Inikkum iLamai enndiam irukku" is by VJ from the same film.

ShankarV69
18th September 2006, 12:36 PM
VK's first film is "Dhoorathu Idi Muzhakam"

Shankar

RR
18th September 2006, 04:10 PM
I guess 'engengum un vannam' is also in 70's.

gingerbeehk
18th September 2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks ramki,
You did what you promissed. I really appreciate your effort. Yes..you are correct.."Inikkum Ilamai" is first movie for Vijaya Kanth. As Madhu said, the other nice songs in that movie "Inikkum Ilami" sung by VJ.

RR, "Engengum Ponvannam" also on 70's movie name: "Kannamma". So nice one of PBS. That song also composed by Shakar-Ganesh.

Jack

Naaz
18th September 2006, 08:15 PM
Ramki -

This one is rare for sure! I don't think I've heard this since the film's release! (was it in the film, btw?) The interlude traces one of MSV's MGR hits...any clues?
Besides the title song (Inikkum Ilamai) there was another duet I recall: "Maanaamadhuraiyile Maanthoppu Maththiyile..."(MVD/SPS or SJ?) This film was directed by M.A. Kaajaa, yes?

yvsmani
18th September 2006, 10:37 PM
kaatrinilae one of VJ's best songs.... ROV - all he songs are treat for ears. thanks to Ravindran.
LV enakku gyabagam iruppathellaam kaathal vennilaa matrum revathy and arunthathi pattu....
maalai mayanginaal SPSin kuralilum oru ilamai irukku. rare combination of singers.... compared to thendralae nee pesu where I could find PBS struggling to sing the song, PBS sings this song very well.

Ramki
19th September 2006, 03:59 AM
Madhu thanks for the correction.

Naaz, i too think its by Kaja.

Ramki
19th September 2006, 04:04 AM
Pick #385

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/aanandha_at.rm

Song: aanandha veLLathile
Movie: aagaya thamaraigaL
Singers : SPShailaja , Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: Muthulingam
MD: Gangai Amaran

Another good song with SPShailaja's cute voice. MV too sings well. I love the starting piece.
MV and SPS has not many melodious duets together. They have sung more dappankuthu songs than such pleasing numbers.

AT had Revathi, sathyaraj and Suresh. Other than this i do not have much details on this film.

Btw this is not a Shailaja week :)

From Mars
19th September 2006, 12:50 PM
SPShailaja's cute voice :) You must be joking :)

yvsmani
20th September 2006, 05:37 PM
an average song..... neither voice nor music is impressive..... sorry for the comments.....

gingerbeehk
20th September 2006, 09:38 PM
Is any one having following song? if so pls post. I am searching so longtime this nice song.

Song: IDHO EN KATHALI KANMANI
Movie: SOUNTHARYAME VARUGA..VARUGA..
Music: ??

Jack

INIYAN 07
20th September 2006, 10:33 PM
I am new to this forum but has been closely following up all the songs featured.
Anantha vellathile is a nice song and remembered watching the movie schooling time .
By the way has been searcing for long songs from Athisaya Piravigal which starred Prabhu, Karthik, RAdha and Rajalakshmi. All the songs were good but I can only remember "Mogam Ennakoru Ragam Mutham Athil oru talam".

Ramki
21st September 2006, 06:30 AM
FM,
Compare to current female singers, SPS voice is more than cute :).

Mani thanks for your honest comments.

Iniyan, i do not have that song :(

Ramki
21st September 2006, 06:38 AM
Pick #386

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/aasai_mmp.rm

Song: aasai nenjin kanavugaL
Movie: mugathil mugam paarkalaam
Singers : Malaysia Vasudevan, PSuseela

Another Song thats shows why IR was the most sought out MD of 70s and 80s. The orchestration , tune and structure has his stamp all over it.
PS and MV have sung very few songs together. 'azhage unnai',
'kanni ponnu kai mele', 'thennankeetrum', 'mappiLLaikkum' etc are some other hits by this combination.
Todays pick is another good melody by them.
MMP had vijaykumar and Sumithra. 'akka oru rajathi'(JC,Jency) is another good song from MMP.
Any other good song?

Nakeeran
21st September 2006, 02:42 PM
Asainenjin kanavugal :D

Superb pick Mr.Ramki :D

Veena, guitar & everything was present ! Very lengthy preludes & interludes, typical of Raja !

The rhythm had shades of Kurinji malarin vazindha rasathai but I always enjoy MV songs .

Yeah, this song had a rare combination of MV- PS !

Thanks for the excellent pick. :D

Neel D
21st September 2006, 06:30 PM
Asai nenjin is a sweet song. Haven't heard in a long time. Thanks Ramki. BTW, could you also add "Year" to the song statistics when available?

yvsmani
21st September 2006, 10:38 PM
I think 'aasai nenjin' had more airtime than 'akka oru rajaththi ava azhagha sirichchu naal achchu'. I think most of the songs in 'paayum puli' are by MV and PS.

madhu
21st September 2006, 10:49 PM
Ramki..

MMP had sudhakar and radhika too..
(kizhakke pogum rayilil eri maerke poi vittar appadinnu heading koduthu radhikavin swimsuit poster pathi comment koduthadhu kumudham)

indha song picturised on which pair ?

Ramki
22nd September 2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks Nakkeeran.

NeelD, including the year in the stats is a good idea. But i have to depend on websites to get that info.

Madhu no clue on the actors who appeared in this song. Regarding the swimsuit comment, wasnt that for inikkum iLamai film?

Ramki
22nd September 2006, 06:14 AM
Pick #387

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sendhoor_s.rm

Song: sendhoor murugan kovilile
Movie: Shanthi
Singers : PSuseela , PBSrinivas
MD: Viswanathan-Ramamurthy
Year : 1965.

This is a rare song, Rare in compostion , execution and delivery.
Each time i listen to it, i admire the writings of kannadasan. I have not seen shanthi but i know the premise of the song. The heroine is blind. Her blindness delays her marriage. Finally she gets married to someone who is not told about her condition
He leaves her without consummating his marriage.
They then exchange letters. She seeks her friend's assistance to write letters for her.
(Please correct me If i got the situation wrong)

Very subtly, Kannadasan expresses the anguish of the heroine.

'oorvalam ponavan oariru vaaram
pogamal nindranadi
vaaramal vandhavan paavai udalai
seraamal sendraanadi'

letter reaches him and he sings her lines and not his own . This makes the song more real and unique.

This Bhimsingh film had sivaji,SSR, vijayakumari and Devika. VR combo came out with outstanding songs for this film
'yaar andha nilavu 'and 'nenjathile nee netru vandhai' were trendsetters.
'oorengum maapiLLai oorvalam' and 'vaazhndhu paarkavendrum ' are other good numbers.
There is also a PS solo version of todays pick.

Shanthi was remade in hindi as 'gowri 'with Nutan, sunildutt, sanjeev kumar and mumtaz

madhu
22nd September 2006, 07:45 AM
Madhu no clue on the actors who appeared in this song. Regarding the swimsuit comment, wasnt that for inikkum iLamai film?

its in one of my kizhichu bind senja thodarkadhai of kumudham..
its for this film only..

RR
22nd September 2006, 10:56 AM
Ramki,

Good songs, no doubt. I saw the movie long time ago and liked it. Sivaji will act as the husband, but SSR will return only to find his pal Sivaji there. Appadi pogum kathai (I think).

ts in one of my kizhichu bind senja thodarkadhai of kumudham..
madhu,
Love them! I used to studiously make such bind books, but lost them during one house shifting.. :cry3:

gingerbeehk
22nd September 2006, 06:28 PM
Is any one having following song? if so pls post. I am searching so longtime this nice song.

Song: IDHO EN KATHALI KANMANI
Movie: SOUNTHARYAME VARUGA..VARUGA..
Music: ??

Jack

Ramki, do you have this song pls help me find for me.

Thanks,
Jack

jn
23rd September 2006, 12:54 AM
Ramki: This week's songs follow the theme we used to play in jff and quiz long time back. :) correct aa?
1. PBS - SPS
2. SPS - MV
3. MV - PS
4. PS - PBS

I was surprised to see this popular song chendhoor murugan but you said it is rare in composition etc. thappichche. :)

lyrics ippadi varum ramki.
oorvalam ponavan oariru maadham
vaaraamal nindranadi
vaaramal vandhavan paavai udalai
seraamal sendraanadi
There is PS solo version of this song too.

yvsmani
23rd September 2006, 11:11 PM
A good song....enakkum rare song endru thoanavillai... JN ungalai support seigiren intha vishayathil

Ramki
25th September 2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks RR.

Jack 'idho en kaadhal' is widely available. Google it.

JN :) Correct :)

Mani, i should have added rare 'not in popularity' but in compostion , execution and delivery :)

Ramki
25th September 2006, 04:34 AM
Pick #388

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/naaL_pp.rm

Song: naaL nalla naaL
Movie: paNakkaara peN
Singers : TMSoundararajan, Vani Jairam
MD: Vkumar
Year : 1976.

One of the songs that always reminds me the ungaL viruppam days of 70s and 80s. This was a popular number in radio and i remember it playing just after the opening music of ungaL viruppam music in the 8.15-9.30 slot.

TMS and VJ has sung very few songs together. When VJ made her entry in TFM, TMS was slowly fading away from the scene. Neverthless they have given some good numbers together.

What are your favorite TMS-VJ duets? Post it here.If i have them i will host them. Lets make this a TMS-VJ week.

madhu
25th September 2006, 05:25 AM
TMS-VJ... mm.. nostalgic..

1) Ah sugam sugam idhu.. - pAdha poojai
2) ethanai malargaL enthanai niRngaL .. oru nadigai nAdagam pArkiRAL
3) ilangaiyin iLam kuyil - Pilot Premnath
4) ponmana chemmaalai - sirithu vazha vendum

Naaz
25th September 2006, 07:55 AM
Ramki -

Naal Nalla Naal....classic VJ-TMS duet! I remember seeing this film at Lakshmi Talkies, Amainthakarai!

My requests would be:
1.Ammaanai Azhagumigu Kannmaanai
2.Muththamizh Sandhangal
3.Raajadhi Raajanukku Raani Maele Kaadhaladi
4.Pudavaikattikkondu Poovondru Aaduthu
5.Aandavanillaa Ulagamedhu

I could go on!

Any or all of the above should also be fine examples of the 70s/80s.
While VJ-TMS are a treat, I think we will definitely have the grandeur of some fine MSV/KVM tunes! :D

balaji
25th September 2006, 04:54 PM
2 more TMS-VJ Duets
1. Chozanin Magale Vaa - Nehukku Needhi - SG
2. Oru Paarvai Nooru - Manoranjitham - VKumar

Bala

natha1729
25th September 2006, 07:39 PM
another truly Great composition of one rare "melodious maker" V.Kumar.

Neel D
25th September 2006, 09:46 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for TMS-VJ week and for adding the Year. It is going to be wonderful week. Of course, I am biased.

I would love to listen to TMS-VJ song all week. But may I request that you feature a Padmini song today? Thanks.

jn
26th September 2006, 01:37 AM
Ramki: naaL nalla naaL kEttu romba naaLaachi. :)
Actors yaar? Jayachithra and jeyshankar?
I get confused with kalyanamaam kalyanam movie..
adhilum same jodi? ellaame marandhu poyiruchi. :(

Ramki
26th September 2006, 05:41 AM
TMS-VJ songs will be continued next week.

Ramki
26th September 2006, 05:54 AM
Pick #389

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/aarariro_tot.rm

Song: aarariro paadiyathaaro
Movie: thaikku oru thalattu
Singer : KJYesudoss
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Year : 1986.

peroLiyai izhandhu kaariruLaaga nirkkiradhu kalai vaanam.
A sad day for all film lovers. The Most beautiful actress ever , passed away today. Padminis grace and talents are unmatchable. She had immense following not only within India but countries like Russia and africa too. Soviet union even released a stamp in her honour. Such was her popularity.

There are numerous good songs of Padmini. I chose todays pick for its situation and mood. Thaikku oru thalattu was her last film with her favorite hero nadigar thilagam. There could never be another pair like them in our screens. its mighty sad that both these talents are not with us anymore.

Remaing picks of this week will be padmini songs.
Let me know your favorites. I will try to host as many as i can.
Thanks.

NOV
26th September 2006, 06:07 AM
:cry2:

aaraarirO paadiyathaaro thoongi pOnathaarO
yaarO yaarO enakkaarO yaarO
en theivamE ithu poi thookkamaa
naan thoongavE ini naalaagumaa

pozhudhaagi pOnathE innum thookkama
sollaamal pOnathu thaayE nyayamaa
uyir thandha devikku uyirillayO
paalootti paarthiyE paalootralaamO
annam pOtta en thaayE
unakku arisi pOda vandhEn
ennai naanE nonthEn
aaraarirO...

nee mundhi pOnadhu nyaayam illayE
naan mundhi pOgavE yOgam illayE
koondai vittu thaai kili paranthadhingE
pasiththavan kEtkirEn paal sOru engE
en thEviyE naanum seidha
kutram enna kooru
oru paarvai paaru
aaraarirO...

NOV
26th September 2006, 06:08 AM
Ramki,

paalakkaattu pakkaththilE
un kannil neer vazhindhaal
maraindhirundhu paarkkum
nalam thaanaa udalum ullamum
kadavul thandha iru malargal

are some of the songs that come into mind imme.

madhu
26th September 2006, 06:17 AM
Ramki..

is it possible to have some rare songs from the old films of Padmini
like "maragadham", "kodeeswaran", "rajarani" etc.. ?

Nakeeran
26th September 2006, 07:05 PM
Ramki ,

Shivaji- Padmini duet could be ideal , the best ever pair of TFM arguably

1. Anbe amudhe arumkaniye
2. Ulangal ondragi kollum bodhile
3. Mullai malar mele :D
4. Anbale pesiya en arivu thangam

Also :

1. Unzagai kanniyargal sonnadhinale
2. Mannika vendugiren
3. Mannavan vandhanadee thozi :D

Vanji kotai V - Kannum kannum kalandhu
Vennilave vennilave

Nakeeran
26th September 2006, 07:07 PM
Ramki ,

Shivaji- Padmini duet could be ideal , the best ever pair of TFM arguably

1. Anbe amudhe arumkaniye
2. Ulangal ondragi kollum bodhile
3. Mullai malar mele :D
4. Anbale pesiya en arivu thangam

Also :

1. Unzagai kanniyargal sonnadhinale
2. Mannika vendugiren
3. Mannavan vandhanadee thozi :D

Vanji kotai V - Kannum kannum kalandhu
Vennilave vennilave

jn
27th September 2006, 01:38 AM
Ramki:
1. kaalamidhu kaalamidhu - chiththi
2. kaaththiruppaan kamalak kannan - uththama puththiran
3. sundhari soundhari nirandhariye - thookku thooki. I think this song features all the 3 sisters. Not sure.
4. kannoonjalaadinaaL kaanchana maalai - vietnam veedu. All songs are good in this movie.
5. vinnodum mugilodum - pudhaiyal
6. azhagu dheyvam mella mella - pEsum dheyvam
7. paththu maadam sumakkavillai - pEsum dheyvam
8. nilavenna pEsum - rani samyuktha
Almost all her dance songs...
List may go on...

Neel D
27th September 2006, 03:41 AM
"koduththavanE paRiththu koNdANdi" from Thangapathumai has Padmini speaking the lines in the middle of the song. Do you have it Ramki?

balaji
27th September 2006, 04:53 AM
Ramki

Padmini's azhugai songs vendame (Neel D nothing against your choice). Let us remember her, by her zestful portyals in movies...

Somehow when some one dies, the idea that we should mourn does not jell well with me particularly if the person has lived a good complete life.

Padmini had a remarkable presence in NJ's cultural life

Thanks Ramki for your felicitations

Bala

Ramki
27th September 2006, 06:08 AM
Since the requests are diverse and tastes are varied, i will chose songs that hopefully will satisy all of you.

Digression, Indigalitz had pictures of film personalities paying tributes to Padmini. Couple of pictures show Music director ganesh(shankar) and few others taking pictures of Padmini's dead body with their cell phones. Isn't that just rude?

Ramki
27th September 2006, 06:24 AM
Pick #390

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/en_tp.rm

Song: en vaazhvil puthu pathai
Movie: thanga pathumai
Lyrics: pattukottai kalyanasundaram
MD: Viswanathan Ramamurthy
Year : 1959.

A joyful song by PS for the beautiful looking Padmini. Various singers have given voice for Padmini but PS voice fit her best. That said can we list the singers who have given voice for padmini?
I know MLV, PLeela, Jikki, balasaraswathi, SJanaki(only one song?), vani jairam have sung for Padmini. Who are the other singers?
Are there any songs by JR or LRE for padmini?

madhu
27th September 2006, 06:39 AM
I think Padmini had 2 songs by SJ..
Radha Jayalakshmi in maragatham...
what about the song "vAzhndhu pArpOm rA naina" by LRE in edhirkAlam..? is it not for padmini ?

then.. some singer for "vAsamuLla poo paRippEnE" dance in "vEdhALa ulagam"

rra
27th September 2006, 08:30 AM
Ramki: If you are looking for a rare but stunning composition featuring Padmini, "Kalaiyodu kalandadu Unmai" from Mannaadi mannan is one.
rra

rajraj
27th September 2006, 09:01 AM
'chinnanchiru kiLiye' from 'maNamagaL', Padmini's first Tamil movie as an actor and ' un kaNNil neer vazhindhaal' from 'vietnam veedu' another Padmini starrer are featured in:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=7776

rajdes
27th September 2006, 10:51 AM
Madhavi Pon Mayilal?

vel1970
27th September 2006, 09:46 PM
The star of the stars have passed away from Thirai vaanam. Irreplacable actress. She was one of the top 10 beautiful females that I ave seen. Same things said by Sivaji?

Though she passed away, she was in the limelight till end and lived a magestic life. I don't know whether any other actress of TFilms had that respect from film world even after several years of her retirement.

Ramki, one of the powerful songs for Padmini (with great lyrics) is Oruvanukku oruthi yendru. Irukkaa?

Ramki
28th September 2006, 05:50 AM
Pick #392

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kalaiyodu_mm.rm

Song: kalaiyodu kalanthathu
Movie: mannathi mannan
Singer : MLVasanthakumari
Lyrics: kaNNadasan?
MD: Viswanathan Ramamurthy
Year : 1960.

Thanks rra and others for reminding this song. I have not watched MM but i have heard the dance by padmini for this song was the highlight of the film.
MLV gave voice for padmini in padminis first film as heroine 'manamagaL'. Her voice was as fresh as padminis face in manamagaL. In todays pick i can feel a strain in her voice especially in the higher scales. Its a difficult song to sing anyways.
What are the other songs by MLV for pappi? I know she sang couple of songs in thanga padhumai . Others?

RR
28th September 2006, 08:16 AM
Ramki

Yes, tough hi-pitched song. I think it's in Suddha Dhanyasi.

Classic MLV-for-Padmini song: 'aadaatha manamum undo'. (Another toughie!)

rra
28th September 2006, 10:55 AM
Ramki: AAdum Arul Jothi from Meenda Sorgam is another classic sung by MLV for padmini's dance, I suppose (I have not "seen" the song!. Music by Chalapathi Rao
BTW, can someone clarify who has sung "Manjalum Thandaal" from Thenum Paalum??? Thanks and regards
rra

Neel D
28th September 2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the beautiful Padmini songs Ramki. As cliched as it sounds, there was no actress like Padmini before her and there won't be one after. Padmini was the only one who could do justice to the characters Mohanambal and Vellaiyammal. Danseuse, beautiful, graceful and confident. Mohanambal and Vellaiyammal are permanently etched in my memory only because of Padmini.

tfmlover
28th September 2006, 09:07 PM
Ramki: AAdum Arul Jothi from Meenda Sorgam is another classic sung by MLV for padmini's dance, I suppose (I have not "seen" the song!. Music by Chalapathi Rao
BTW, can someone clarify who has sung "Manjalum Thandaal" from Thenum Paalum??? Thanks and regards
rra
its jikki s janaki

kannin manigal ,madhurai veeran mlv songs for padmini
thers more

Nakeeran
28th September 2006, 09:29 PM
Ramki

Special request : KANNUM KANNUM KALANDHU

Vanji Kotai Valiban song podunga please.

Amazing preludes & interludes

Ramki
29th September 2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. There are countless good songs of padmini, so much so i can make the rest of the year as padminis picks.
But i want to conclude this special today and keeping in mind the mostly rare song policy of the thread, i want to host one rare song of Padmini. Hope you all will like it.

Ramki
29th September 2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. There are countless good songs of padmini, so much so i can make the rest of the year as padminis picks.
But i want to conclude this special today and keeping in mind the mostly rare song policy of the thread, i want to host one rare song of Padmini. Hope you all will like it.

madhu
29th September 2006, 05:42 AM
Ramki !

enna rare song adhu ?

BTW.. "kanavilum ninaivilum iNai piriyAdha" from "marumagaL" is PA Periyanayaki's voice for Padmini...

Ramki
29th September 2006, 05:53 AM
Pick #393

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ithazh_rs.rm

Song: ithazh irandum
Movie: Rani Samyuktha
Singers : APKomala, TMSoundararajan
MD: KVMahadevan
Year : 1962.

My friend reminded me of this song. A non-PS song for padmini was a rare occurence in 1960's .
I first listened to this song few years back in oli. I was not aware of the detail. Sathya kabali gave me the info here

http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/11749.oldsongs.html.

I was surprised to learn that the song was from a MGR film.
Padmini and MGR acted together in 10-12 films?
Madhurai veeran, mannadhi mannan, raja desing, rickshawkaaran...and?

Well i hope this is a rare song:)

madhu
29th September 2006, 06:01 AM
Ramki..

yes.. In this film even Jamuna rani sings a song for Padmini
you have to change the details...
its still showing "mannadhi mannan".

Seekazhi Govindarajan and AP Komala sing for MGR and Padmini in Rajarajan... tha popular "nilavOdu van mugil viLaiyAduthE" !

madhu
29th September 2006, 06:21 AM
raja desingu ?

jn
29th September 2006, 08:48 PM
"VarugiRaal ummai thedi" by MLV in "thanga padhumai" - Is it for pathmini?

One more question:
1.Mullai malar kaadu
engaL mannavar than naadu....from rani samyuktha..
2. kaaLai varuvadhaRkuL kanni bali aavadhaRkuL ..from the same movie.
Who is the singer? Thanks in advance. :)

vel1970
29th September 2006, 10:16 PM
Ramki: I got oruvanukku oruthi endu song. Shall I send? If yes, whats ur mail-id?

I started listening to APKomala song with genuine interest. But oh... sOham.. With due to respect to APK, I would say she straine herself too much to complete the song. When she sings "pudhiya kaalam pirandhadendru" abaswara kOlam.

Whereas MLV song is great. I was told that Padmini dances (forced to dance by PS Veerappa) for this song. Really feel like watching the movie, at least for Padmini.

RR
30th September 2006, 10:58 PM
vel1970,

POW email address is in the first post of this thread. You can send it there!

tfmlover
1st October 2006, 04:29 AM
raajarajan' another song 'ithyam thaanayE enathu ithyam naaduthE(umathu) SRG APKOMALA
aadum azhage asainthu aadum azhagE azhagu - PLEELA SRL

Ramki
2nd October 2006, 06:52 AM
Pick #394

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/thandhai_thai.rm

Song: thandhai thai
Movie:
Singer : NCVasanthakokilam
Year : ?.

NCVasanthakokilam negizha vaikkum Mahatma-vai ninaivu koorum paadal.

Gandhi was remembered in cleveland today. A 7 foot Gandhi statue was unveiled in our Rockfeller park . The bronze statue was cast by Gautam pal in Calcutta.

Happy Birthday to mahatma.

Ramki
3rd October 2006, 03:34 AM
Pick #394

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ilangaiyin_pp.rm

Song: ilangaiyin iLamkuyil
Movie: Pilot Premnath
Singers : TM Soundararajan, Vani Jairam
MD: MS Viswanathan
Year : 1978

This song is one of Madhus request and my favorite number too. The song was a regular in vividh bharathi during the late 70s. IMO, the song was the only good thing about this movie. It was a typical sivaji film. A rich, silk lungi wearing, pipe smoking sivaji , father of few adults, reads a letter from his late wife that one of his child is not his. He immediately suspects his wife's fidelity and starts singing 'who is the black sheep' and doubts each and every one of his kid. Three of them i guess. Vijaykumar, Jaiganesh and sridevi. Finally he learns that the blind sridevi is the black ewe(female sheep?:) ) and she was adopted by his wife(or something like that).
A srilankan actress malini fonseka was paired with Sivaji.
'azhagi oruthi iLani' is a foottapping number from PP. There was also a anniversary-bday song by a group of singers..cant remember the lines.
Todays song is picturised on Sivaji and MF. The locations were splendid. I guess it was picturised in Colombo.

madhu
3rd October 2006, 06:54 AM
Ramki..

thanks ..
the b-day song is "kOpi thotta modhalALikku kozhumbulathAne kalyANam"