PDA

View Full Version : REDISCOVERING RAAJA

rajasaranam
21st November 2007, 08:29 PM
I often wonder when am i going to end my search for this man's music and get settled one day, saying 'ya now I know the complete works of this man, now lemme go ahead and dive deep into this known ocean'.
But unfortunately for me every other day is a discovery about his music. it has become a never ending abyss. and leaves me in awe asking 'how much more is left in there'

So wat's all this about???
I recently bought some Malayalam, kannada, telugu CD's, VCD's and DVD's, composed by Raaja, thanks to moserbaer and other companies which has slashed the price and are also coming out with unknown titles :)

I'll Rediscover Raaja As i go along in this thread. It could be some known or unknown movies/songs for you. and i request you to participate in this thread if you had similar experiences.

rajasaranam
21st November 2007, 08:58 PM
MANGALAM NERUNNU

I never knew such a movie existed before i got hold of it. I was not expecting anthing great about the movie and thought it will be a run-of-the mill movie. But The name Raaja as the composer made me buy it. Astonishingly the movie had a very good plot and the handling of screenplay was also good.
Music is divine in this movie. Especially the theme music and the song 'Alliyilam poo' which has shades of 'thazhampoove vaasam veesu' is sweet lullaby sung by krishnachander. You will fall in love with this song the instant you listen to it. And there is another song 'ruthubethakalpana' rendered well by Yesudas accompanied by kalyani menon. This song is a lovely duet.
But the major asset for this movie will be its BGM where we can know Raaja has really loved each and every frame of this movie.
there is one particular scene which i loved the most.

Nedumudi venu in search of his estranged life happens to end up at the home of Madhavi who has taken up prostitution due to her financial problems after the sudden demise of her husband (mamooty - a short and sweet appearance). Venu after coming to her home takes a liking towards Madhavi's child (Shalini) and finds meaning in his life through her. Madhavi who was unable to give him company after taking the payment the earlier day, would want to satisfy him the next day, While Venu Doesnt have such an agenda today! Every single minute detail of expression is captured well by Raaja in this more than 5 minute scene where no dialogues will be uttered until the child in the other room starts crying. the music trasfers from Jazzy to Classical to folkish detailing everything running in both of their minds. Mindblowing scene which can never be captured in mere words. thanks Raaja :)

You can watch this scene here :) though the VDO quality is low you can enjoy the music.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3059580341080541272&hl=en

rajasaranam
22nd November 2007, 08:41 PM
UNAROO

Though I had known always such a film existed, The second Film of Manirathnam This had been evading for so long that when i got hold of it I was overwhelmed.

The movie is a strong condemnation over the evolution of communist movements all over the World which have declined merely into trade unions and power struggle/capture organizations. The whole movie is made well over this theme. The unemployment, the economic depravedness, the struggle to overcome it everything culminating into a struggle, within the own clan under this environment is dealt well. In a world which thrives with selfishness there can be no true communist is what the movie is about.
Technically not a great one, for which the later manirathnam came to be championed for, the movie had the raw 'Malayali' Style of making. Had we not known this movie as MR's it could be passed on as any other Mainstream Malayalam movie.
The movie has all the ingredients of a commercial cinema (love, sentiment, duet) yet a powerful one, for the theme it had dealt with, that too in the very own state where the degeneration of Communism in the name of Trade unions is prevailing.
Talking about the music of Raaja, As always he had supported the movie with his powerful theme music and two songs. The first song ' deepame' being a fun filled choral kinda song and the other one 'theeram thedi olam paadi' a recyle of 'Roja ondru' from Neengal Kaettavai are both pleasent to lsiten to.

But the Climax BGM and End Title Credits (Which is also the Title Music) is where Raaja Excels and is on par or more than any other great film composers like John Williams, ennio morricone Etc.,
the plot is somewhat like this:
The People along a seashore village,who were left with no job being denied access for fishing, after a wall was erected along the shore for building the port of cochin, and as their livelihood was at stake after a lot of struggle and forming a union gets a relief in the way of few people getting into the job into Fort Cochin. the struggle will be not against the Govt. but against the trade unions which deny that others should not be given a job and all overtime should be given only to themselves.
Slowly the same union grows into a larger union and does the same to other unemployed youths of same village. A factory to be built which could give jobs to more youths will not be allowed by the Trade Unions and its leaders. They strike against the Factory builder and closes down all activities. In the struggle which ensues The unemployed youths who wants the factory to be built, for they can get jobs Takes a head-on with the trade unionists. Watch this Beautiful piece of Climax and the End title Score and Let me know whether any other composer could have done justice to this scene???

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9002182136200474100&hl=en

rajasaranam
22nd November 2007, 10:07 PM
The songs from Both Unaroo and Mangalam Nerunnu Are here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3itxnn7b17c

The first listening to Mangalam Nerunnu gave me the impression that "Alliilam Poovo" is good But relistening To "Rhuthubeda kalpana" It sounds too sweet to be brushed off. Listening to these songs for the first time after almost 20 or more years after it has been composed it sounds too contemporary and reassures his music is not bound by time. And it makes us yearn for Such Raaja who was very confident with his live orchestra :cry: I dont mind going to his studio and break off all those synthesizers and tell him "You are not this, you are more than these, and these artificial instruments are impending your creative and life force, Please get back to the roots Raaja!!!"

app_engine
24th November 2007, 11:27 AM
Excellent clips as well as write-ups, rs! வாழ்க உம் பணி!

The climax scene in 'uNaru' is rivetting...I love the "unemployed youth" looks of Mohanlal...now I want to see the whole movie...

For those who may not know, the mozhu mozhu shaven union wala is yesteryear top hero, late Sukumaran...he is the father of current TF romantic hero (mozhi) Prithviraj...

Hey NA folks, question for you - are the "Indian stores" selling the Moserbaer brand CDs/DVDs here?

app_engine
24th November 2007, 11:36 AM
priya32 posted this link in another thread:

இது கனவுகள் விளைந்திடும் காலம் (நிழல்தேடும் நெஞ்சங்கள்)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkJZTyTKzg

This is some "rediscovering" for me...a song I used to hear all the time on walkman during college days...very sweet...'nee dhAna, nee dhAna'...(though I never saw this movie...neither cared for it)...interestingly, the same guy (kuumuttai) has posted a number of such rare IR songs with good quality videos on youtube...some of them may not have great picturisation ('Aththu mEttula' was hilarious, even though by the talented Rudraiah...I also saw the poottAdha poottukkaL song Anandham Anandham nee thandhadhu on youtube)...how many of those melodies are no longer paid attention...though they sound as fresh and as contemporary to me even today...

Shankar
26th November 2007, 02:26 PM
RS,
Nice write-up...will check the Clips sometime.

ROja onru is from kombEri mookkan...the second interlude shows Raja's class !

rajasaranam
26th November 2007, 04:02 PM
priya32 posted this link in another thread:

இது கனவுகள் விளைந்திடும் காலம் (நிழல்தேடும் நெஞ்சங்கள்)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkJZTyTKzg

This is some "rediscovering" for me...a song I used to hear all the time on walkman during college days...very sweet...'nee dhAna, nee dhAna'...(though I never saw this movie...neither cared for it)...interestingly, the same guy (kuumuttai) has posted a number of such rare IR songs with good quality videos on youtube...some of them may not have great picturisation ('Aththu mEttula' was hilarious, even though by the talented Rudraiah...I also saw the poottAdha poottukkaL song Anandham Anandham nee thandhadhu on youtube)...how many of those melodies are no longer paid attention...though they sound as fresh and as contemporary to me even today...

good that you had the opportunity to listen this masterpiece when it was released. I heard it just a couple of years back and was stunned at the sheer melody and tune structure. It was totally an alien tune pattern to me coming from Raaja, Added to this Oru kunguma chengamalam from Aarathanai also was new to me at the same point of time and these were actually a discovery for me :)

rajasaranam
26th November 2007, 04:04 PM
RS,
Nice write-up...will check the Clips sometime.

ROja onru is from kombEri mookkan...the second interlude shows Raja's class !

yeah Will correct that now! BTW Thyagarajan nadicha padangalil manasula ninnathu rende rendu thaan 'Neengal Kaetavai and Malaiyur mambatiyaan' :) athan intha confusion

rajasaranam
26th November 2007, 04:07 PM
Some Gentleman/Woman has answered yes for the poll question :lol:
Can he or she shed some light about the Islamic Religious album that was released in 1974 composed by Raaja. I've been trying to find something about that album for more than 6-7 years but invain :(

rajasaranam
26th November 2007, 04:08 PM
Coming Up next ACCIDENT-Kannada Movie Review

kingvj
26th November 2007, 05:40 PM
"RuthuBhedha Kalpana" is here too...
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=61577

rajasaranam
26th November 2007, 06:00 PM
"RuthuBhedha Kalpana" is here too...
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=61577

thnks for a better quality mp3. Those that I've uploaded are from VCD Rips.

rajasaranam
22nd March 2008, 12:46 PM
Nee Nanna Gellalare

knowing this is the only movie that the two giants have worked together I was very curious to watch this movie. As a movie it has nothing much than a MGR movie of the 60's or 70's. This was my first movie of Dr.Rajkumar and I now know why he was the superstar of Kananda Film Industry. He has that charishma that makes a Superstar. He also acts pretty decently in some scenes.

I will try to upload some great scenes from the movie later but watch this song featuring from the movie when Dr.Rajkumar Takes head on with the Heroine for a song and Dance Competition. Listen How Raaja Freaks out in the PostLudde of the song which cannot be heard in the Song Version from CD's or Cassettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Vf4JpdyGc
Ensoi

you would never know when a veena would come and fill in between Pop/disco sounds or when the Drums start rolling. One of his best Pop/Disco - Carnatic Fusion. Believe me you'll love the first time or the n'th time you are gonna Listen to this song.

rajasaranam
22nd March 2008, 01:36 PM
Konda Veeti Donga

An indianised version of 'Mask of Zorro' / 'Robinhood', 'Konda Veeti Donga' never has dull moment overall. It's filled with all drama, action, sentiments, love et all for making it a complete 'andhra full meals'. And watching the movie we come to know Raaja has loved & composed for every frame of this movie with brimming enthusiasm. Be it the love scenes involving KVD or action scenes involving KVD - Raaja has given full honour to this Hero of the masses. Strictly to be viewed from a 80's POV ;)
Watch this scene which is little less than 10mins but has all the ingredients of the movie. Listen how Raaja has taken drill of his Orchestra for this 10 min scene! thats why we call him a composer with dedication and being his fan keeps us amusing every moment of our life :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4VGP43hFyo

irir123
23rd March 2008, 08:20 PM
the same "kondaveeti..." has the amazing "subhalekha.." - a perfect ambience song, with beats like horse hoofs! the interludes are mind-boggling, especially the second interlude - http://youtube.com/watch?v=wPrDAW1LUYs - check that out!
click on that and listen to the score without watching the clip! and then watch it again with the score - you will see the difference - no justice to IR's creativity on screen

jaiganes
24th March 2008, 07:11 PM
RajaSaranam.
Ungalukku en saranam.
Kalakiteenga ponga.
I voted for "No". I have to collect a lot more and I am particularly looking for The Telugu movie scores and BGM, particularly the movie in which Revathi acts in direced by UmaMaheshwar Rao. The entire movie happens on a train and it is supposed to be good. I dont know the name of the movie, but have heard some good reviews.

teja
25th March 2008, 08:45 PM
I am particularly looking for The Telugu movie scores and BGM, particularly the movie in which Revathi acts in direced by UmaMaheshwar Rao.

That's "Ankuram".
MD is Hamsalekha, not IR.

rajasaranam
25th March 2008, 09:52 PM
I am particularly looking for The Telugu movie scores and BGM, particularly the movie in which Revathi acts in direced by UmaMaheshwar Rao.

That's "Ankuram".
MD is Hamsalekha, not IR.

thanks for the relief! otherwise i would have started searching for this movie like a mad mad man :oops:

rajasaranam
25th March 2008, 09:59 PM
RajaSaranam.
Ungalukku en saranam.
Kalakiteenga ponga.
I voted for "No". I have to collect a lot more and I am particularly looking for The Telugu movie scores and BGM, particularly the movie in which Revathi acts in direced by UmaMaheshwar Rao. The entire movie happens on a train and it is supposed to be good. I dont know the name of the movie, but have heard some good reviews.

tanQ :oops:

I've watched many other movies too but not ready to share the details until i rip the portions and upload it.
Time kedaikrathey illa :cry: :cry: :cry:

irir123
26th March 2008, 03:10 AM
Brilliant use of SYNCOPATION by IR with the piano - listen to the second interlude - the entire piano piece is a beautiful demonstration of SYNCOPATION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHu3QANsMPk

rajasaranam
27th March 2008, 07:52 PM
ACHUVINTE AMMA

Delving not into the film story Iam more attracted to the sub plots or sub stories of the film. mainly because of the rich BGM that accentuates the stories.

Story of IJO
Ijo the lover of Achu is getting introduced to Vanaja the mother of Achu. Ijo starts telling about himself his wonderful family and the great times they have together. When pestered upon to be introduced to them he explains that they cannot come here and 'we have to visit them'. Watch Raaja here unfolding what is awaiting with his surreal kind of music continuing with his fun and frolic filled music as Ijo goes on explaining about his family. when the actual home of his family is reached Raaja starts off with a Banging bell and after this Raaja keeps us glued to narration on the screen with his strictly to the text not overpowering BGM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqYTazI9AHY

Story of Vanaja
Though it gives away a part of the climax... A not be missed study into usage of BGM as the part of narrative. Achu who is very adamant natured daughter hates her mother vanaja now for she is not telling the truth about her father and also rejects Ijo and Achu to be getting married. Ijo who is very understanding youth cares for both which is well understood by Vanaja now...

The Story of vanaja unfolds as she starts narrating it to Ijo, slowly the visuals and Raaja makes us walk along the dreaded path that Vanaja had travelled. Interspid with haunting aswell fun filled music as per the mood change in the narrative Raaja asserts time and again that for carrying a movie his BGM alone is sufficiant....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhc__eOEBPU

rajasaranam
31st March 2008, 07:28 PM
PINNILAVU

One of the best movies that i had seen in recent times. The film excellently portrays the father-son duel woven around a normal middle class family and its sentiments.
The father who is straight forward man brings up his son giving him all freedom in the world and never forcing him to do anything. The son also does well in his studies and gets into medical college. But slowly his mind is poisened by his fellow mates and starts going astray in the life. The father and mother after realising this tries to bring him back to normalcy but nothing could stop him now!

Watch these few scenes edited and joined from the original which shows the confrontation between the parents and son. They stand as beautifully crafted scenes by the Ace director PGVishawambaran and supported by great BGM and theme music from the master craftsman Raaja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFTHVHIyq7U

rajasaranam
13th May 2008, 09:15 PM
Anjali(hindi)
I had this original dubbed cassette with me in the 90's. I did buy the cassettes of all those dubbed movies of MR into hindi. It were lost or worn out by time....until nothing was left with me!
You shud know how much Iam overwhelmed to listen to these songs once again.
Here is Anjali for you.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xjjxiklqnbv
Hindi Audiences are either unlucky or ignorant for not making this into the hit list :)

rajasaranam
13th May 2008, 09:16 PM
SEASON-Malayalam
This movie will be a challenge to any other composer always! I can not find an equivalent song from any other composer to 'Poi Varu' from this movie. Can we call this a song at all?!! Very recently i watched the movie and was amazed at the BGM and songs from this movie.
The movie revolves around the drug trafficking and usage along the coast of kovalam in the early 80's a leftover from the hippie culture.
Raaja's music captures this theme and background at its best. Apart from these 2 songs there are very many other instances of BGM's which does justice to the movie. will try to upload those scenes soon... till then here is the best 'Season' for you :wink:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gmldg4ieo1y

rajasaranam
16th May 2008, 11:40 AM
A_E,

You can download and watch UNAROO from here:

http://themediasite.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50014

rajasaranam
27th May 2008, 11:49 PM
Intha Puthaiyalukku oru mudivae illa poala.
Indraiya soodaana kandupudippu from 'Oruvar Vaazhum aalayam'. thalaivar English Paattu 'Baby you're my baby'..
http://www.esnips.com/doc/bf583f83-900e-41f9-98ab-1bcbcb075c52/Baby
Ithu mathiri angonnu ingonnunnu avar compose paattu ellam serthu oru English album podalaam poala :)
Ethana paattu irukku intha madhiri? with only english lyrics!

irir123
28th May 2008, 03:32 AM
rajasaranam - thats a terrific find!!

kj
28th May 2008, 04:08 AM
The first one which comes to my mind is Angel I see only you from Kavarimaan. Beautiful short song nice lyrics with only 3 instruments a lead guiatar an acoustic guiatra and a bass. No percussion but the terrific bassline compensates for that. The bassist(Sasi?) just goes beserk and has done a teriffic job. The only annoying thing is SPB's pronunciation. Seri, namma naatu song adhunaale namma naatu le english eppudi pesuvangalo appadi padirkirarannu nenachu rasika vendiyadhaan.

irir123
28th May 2008, 07:10 AM
there is another IR special that goes something like "darling, i love you" ! has an amazing (american) country folk like feel to it!

rajasaranam
30th June 2008, 12:47 AM
Disco Sound - Dharma Yudham :)
English Paattu thaan konjam Rap Kalantha maathiri irukku end'la
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=368418
And Iam not getting proper inputs from fans here regarding 'Proper' English Songs of Raaja :(
I remember there were few songs in the movie 'Manasellam' In the Video version alone. unfortunately Iam not able to get hold of VCD/DVD of that movie.

rajasaranam
30th June 2008, 01:33 AM
there is another IR special that goes something like "darling, i love you" ! has an amazing (american) country folk like feel to it!

Here it is from the movie 'KavariMaan' :)
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=368428

ananth222
30th June 2008, 03:50 AM
Theres a very good song "you are my dream" in Kamagni.

thumburu
30th June 2008, 06:30 PM
I remember reading in "Kalki" weekly about an english song in IR's early movie "Uravaadum Nenjam" . This movie has that evergreen number "oru naaL unnodu oru naaL"

irir123
30th June 2008, 06:47 PM

not this one!! the one am referring to, has a very (american) country/ folk feel to it with sitar usage as well! and sung by an unknown voice

but thanks anyways

crajkumar_be
30th June 2008, 11:01 PM
"One two three four" from Punnagai Mannan?

equanimus
1st July 2008, 12:07 AM
"One two three four" from Punnagai Mannan?
One more song off the top of my head...
"Sing Swing" -- mUdupani

Also, "All the Times (kAdhal pAttu dhAn)" from 'nAdOdith thenRal' has both English and Tamil verses (not to be confused with Thanglish verses).

rajasaranam
1st July 2008, 01:04 AM
Summarising:

Baby - Oruvar Vaazhum aalayam
Disco - dharamayuddam
Angel - Kavarimaan
Sing swing - moodupani
One two three - Punnagai Mannan
You are my dream - Kamagni

thumburu,

The song mentioned by you starts off as 'Dear Uncle, we're happy' But goes onto Tamil Lyrics later. :) But yes this was a rediscovery for me, lying in my DB to be opened up, Not a great song though 8-)

kj
1st July 2008, 02:46 AM

not this one!! the one am referring to, has a very (american) country/ folk feel to it with sitar usage as well! and sung by an unknown voice

but thanks anyways

I guess you are talking about this one:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00012.html

Another Awesome Song by Raaja

ananth222
1st July 2008, 03:19 AM

Another Awesome Song by Raajabeautiful! thanx for the link!

irir123
1st July 2008, 07:11 AM

but thanks anyways

the link says "Service Unavailable"

irir123
1st July 2008, 07:14 AM
I cud play it now - WOW! thats vintage IR! has a Beatles/Paul McCartney feel to that song with an IRish stamp all over it!! hats off to the Maestro!

wud love to have that MP3

Sanjeevi
1st July 2008, 09:22 AM
Maya bazar 1995 - two toooooo great songs

1. Unna Ethir - adengappa enna oru paatu appadiyae kathula mithakura maathiri irukkum

2. Raja raani song - more than excellent

Sanjeevi
1st July 2008, 09:27 AM
Poovarasan songs - yeat another underrated album

apart from intha poovukoru arasan

Rasathi rasathi - very soothing
Katikkidalam - my all time fav romantic song

MrJudge
1st July 2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the link, it has 737 albums of Raja. Wow!

irir123
2nd July 2008, 09:11 PM
"Anbe odivaa" songs have the feel of "Meendum oru kathal kadhai" and very slight feel of "Eera vizhi kaaviyangal"