PDA

View Full Version : Discussing Jeffrey Archer's works

Oldposts
2nd January 2005, 11:53 AM
Topic started by *rak* (notme@hatmail.com) (@ an7.emirates.net.ae) on Wed Jun 25 04:37:04 .

Iam a die hard fan of his.
I just wanna find out which of his books do you people find the most interesting. To discuss some of his stories... share ideas on how the climax should have been better etc... anyone??

Oldposts
Hi. I have only recently discovered Jeffery Archer through his prison diary VI and immediatley went to the store and brought The fourth Estate, Sons of fortune, Not a Penny more not a penny less, Shall we tell the president, Hounour amoung theives, As the crow flies, Kane and Abel, A quiver full of arrows and The prodical daughter!!

His work is great. I have only read his prison dairy, the fourth estate, sons of fortune and Kane and Abel (I was going for Abel!)

Oldposts
There is also anothet short story collection called, 'A Twist in the Tale'.

Oldposts
Most of Archers novels are politics based.Ofcourse,doing justice to the politition in Himself.The best one is 'Kane & Abel' ofcourse.'Eleventh Commandmend' and 'Fourth Protocol' are good.so is 'Shall We....'.'Sons of Fortune' resembles a cliche pattern followed in bollywood movies.'Prodigal daughter' and 'first among equals' lack the thrill,the 1st is a cliche and the second is just politics,something like the author narrating history.Ofcourse,no arguement to the fact that he is one of the biggest frauds in the history.heard that he will have to return his peer-hood.

Oldposts
I have a question? What is the "fourth Estate" in his book the Fourth Estate. I want to read it but haven't had the chance yet. What is the significance of the title the Fourth Estate?

Oldposts
http://www.iomx.com/online_ebooks.htm

Oldposts
http://www.iomx.com/online_ebooks.htm

Oldposts
hello
i know its stupid of me to ask this but in sons of fortune which one of the twin becomes the governor??

Oldposts
Hi folks, I now consider myself to be a massive Jeffery Archer fan after reading the eleventh commandment i then read sons of fortune, not a penny more, not a penny less, shall we tell the president, Kane and abel, A matter of honour and tonight i will begin The fouth estate (can anyone tell me how good it is)Also can anyone tell me if his short stories are any good

re which twin ends up as govenor?

this is a good question and my answer would be fletcher. we know that the mayor is standing between them "When he came to a halt in the center of the stage, the candates took there places on each side of him, Fletcher on his left, Nat on his right, as befitted their political persuasion." And in the last paragraph we are told "The mayor picked up the coin and turned round to face the candidates. He smiled at the man now standing on his right, and said, "may i be first to congratulte you governor."" As it is clearly stated that the mayor picks up the coin then TURNS to face them with the new governor NOW standing to his right. Does anyone know if this toss of a coin rule really apply

Oldposts
I want to shed a little bit more light on which twin becomes governor. I remember reading a passage in the book where there was another coin toss but I can't place exactly where it is (perhaps in the section on deciding who goes first in one of the debates earlier in the book) and one of the characters (can't remember which one) said the coin toss was a mute point because he always calls "heads" and it would have had the same result no matter who went first... i think if I can find that passage again, it might help confirm who became governor.

Oldposts
Fletcher won. Leslie, the coin toss you refer to is on page 320 in the paperback.

Oldposts
Hi Everybody,

Just now i've gone thru the 11th commandments and i've a doubt.
Why the author (archer) have killed Chris Jackson in ? The mafia group can obtain so many people to be substituted instead of connor fitzerald,no ? i's really shocked to read that jackson was hanged in some silly retrospection that connor have saved his life during the vietnam war...Can anybody clarify me ?

bye..bye..

Oldposts
I found Kane and Abel the best. As the crow flies was also equally inspiring.Really a gifted writer.

Oldposts
i'm a real fan of jeffrey archer after having read eleventh commandment... after that i read kane and abel and then prodigal daughter.a twist in the tale is just truly amazing...

Oldposts
OMG, thanks for clearing up the sons of fortune thing, i wanted Nat to win. I always liked him better.

Oldposts
I read "Kane and Abel" and listened to the recorded tape by Barbara Rosenblat of " The prodigal daughter".
Although I enjoyed both, I found them both too
predictable and only Abel was shown (at first) as an interesting character.

Oldposts
more entreprising are the short story collections
my favourite is 'the first miracle"
you just cant be creative like that

Oldposts
I was stumped with the winner thing. For a while i was really glad that i didnt know who won, just becasue i fell in love with both the characters... but secretly nat was my favorite...

Oldposts
2nd January 2005, 11:54 AM
Right - now that I knew which debate it was easy to find. Top of chapter 31, which is page 285:

"Heads or tails?" asked the moderator.
"Tails," said Barbara Hunter.
"Tails it is," said the moderator. He looked across at Mrs. Hunter and nodded. Fletcher couldn't complain, because he would have called heads - he always did...

I also agree that this is one of Archer's weaker works. For heaven's sake - he used the coin flip to decide an election in First Among Equals which was a much better work. I was most dissapointed.

Oldposts
I like his short stories best: "A quiver full of arrows", "A twist in the tale", "Twelve Red Herrings" and "To cut a long story short" all have very good stories. My personal favorite is "Old Love" from the first book.

Oldposts
Just re-read Kane and Abel for the fourth time and something that has always confused me is why, when Abel rings up Mccarthy does he get such a negative response. I cant quite work out what the click Abel hears. After studying Mccarthyism at school it does interest me to know why Archer felt that Mccarthy would respond so forcefully

Oldposts
Hi there,
I am a Nigerian and I reside in Nigeria.
I am just reading Jeffrey's book(Honour among thieves)It's very intersting,I think Jeffrey is very good,I enjoyed every page of it.But i was confused about some unsettled issues in the book.I will like to know if the leader of the Mossad in the book actually died,Why was the lady that was doing the killing was caught or probably killed.............I just told a friend holidaying the US to get the Sons of fortune and some other books by Jeffrey Archer.

Oldposts
hi does anyone know where i can get a pdf or online version of sons of fortune

Oldposts
do any of you know any other authors which I would like, if i like jeffrey archer

Oldposts
does anyone know where i could get kane and abel on film as i read the book and have heard that the film is excellent

Oldposts
hi,
i am despretley seeking a copy of archer's - cristina rosenthal....

please help!!!

Oldposts
I loved Chritina Rosenthal. It is in his collection "A quiver full of arrows" i guess.

Oldposts
i guess the "fourth estae " is about Rupert keith murdoch ala Keith Townsend. And RObert maxwell .both media moguls and their quest to control the largest media empire in the world. could any one be so interested in reading "DA vinci code" by Dan Brown .it's the best book i have read for the year

Oldposts
in political science the media is often reffered to as the "the fourth estate of the realm"meaning it comes next after the executive,legislative and judicial branches of government.

Oldposts
Hi, i'm currently reading Sons of Fortune, and i'm not sure if I missed something or not, but what did Su Ling find out in Korea
<a name="last"></a>

ramsri
12th March 2005, 10:28 PM
jeffrey archer's real forte, is his penchant for the short story - he really should do more of this rather than wiriting those long-winding novels like "the fourth estate", "as the crow flies" - they just seem to drag.
of course, as far as the short stories go, he's arguably THE best - i know roald dahl writes pretty good short stories too, but archer's style is really good. my personal favourites are "never stop on the motorway", "clean sweep ignatius" and "do not pass go"

of course, a few of his novels were good too - esp "shall we tell the pres", "the eleventh commandment" and "honour among thieves"

Chloe Feldman
3rd December 2005, 01:13 PM
I've read every single book of Jeffrey Archer's, and consider myself an expert when it comes to him. He is the best author I've ever come across.
My personal favourites are "Kane and Abel" (I prefer Kane to Abel), "Honour Among Thieves" (My first - after which I fell in love with him), "Sons of Fortune" (give me Fletcher any day), and "As the Crow Flies".
I love his short stories too. "Christina Rosenthal" and "Old Love" are the best.

Chloe Feldman
3rd January 2006, 02:36 PM
Has anyone read his latest book "False Impression" as yet?
Is it good?
Also, in his "Prison Diary III", he mentioned that his next book of short stories, "Cat of Nine Tales" would be out in 2005, but we are already in 2006!! Anyone know anything about it?

swathi_05
29th November 2006, 03:08 PM
i found "not a penny lesss and not a penny more " good. its really a great plot.

sangeetha_me
29th November 2006, 09:49 PM
Hi Chloe..i just read "False Impression". A very very good.. I liked it a lot..and it was quite fast moving too..

My other favorites of Archer include Kane and Abel, The prodigal daughter.

Cat O' Nine Tales was supposed to be out in 2006 and it is out. I think I saw it in Barnes and Nobles. But I dont think it has reached our public libraries as yet.

sundararaj
2nd December 2006, 03:29 PM
I too love his works. :D

RR
28th May 2008, 10:42 AM
[tscii:f9663e64d7]Chennai had the honour of hosting Jeffrey Archer, the master story teller, who gave us Kane and Able, The Prodigal Daughter, Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less, A Quiver Full of Arrows and many such intriguing novels.

He was in the city to promote his latest book, A Prisoner of Birth at Landmark in Nungambakkam recently.
Over 34 years, Archer has published 15 novels, 11 short story collections and a few plays and picture books.

Jeffery Archer, proudly declares that he’s an excellent story teller, who knows how to make the readers laugh and applaud as well.

Talking about his latest book, Archer informed that he had written 17 drafts of A Prisoner of Birth before finalising the story.

It eventually took 1000 hours to complete. He usually started writing at 6 am and continued to work for two hours and then had a two-hour break and so on.

He always wrote his books by hand for he didn’t know how to use any machinery and intends to continue writing all his books in future too. Archer has been promoting his book in India for the past 12 days.

Speaking about the genius R K Narayan, he said that Narayan took ordinary people and places and turned them into giants. He had a piece of advice for all budding writers. ‘Write about what you know best,’ he said.

His first book was Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less got turned down by publishers, 18 of them. ‘That’s the only record I have that’s longer than J K Rowling’s,’ he quipped.

http://www.newstodaynet.com/newsindex.php?id=7819%20&%20section=11[/tscii:f9663e64d7]

Wibha
30th January 2009, 12:12 PM
Just read his collection of short stories "Twist in the Tale." Enjoyed reading them.

raniraja
3rd August 2010, 03:38 PM
For anyone weak in English language, and wanting to learn it, I always recommend trying "Twist in the tale" or "A quiver full of arrows".. it has worked with 4 people at least so far :) gets them interested, and asking for more.