PDA

View Full Version : Indian baby names

Venkat
4th January 2005, 07:14 AM
I am interested in collecting and creating a web site for Indian baby names. I want to give importance to Tamil names. If you have any names, please share it here. I will collate them and publish.
-Venkat

aravindhan
5th January 2005, 02:08 AM
Take a look at the "South Indian Tamil name for a baby" thread. You'll find it here:

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=36.

Venkat
9th January 2005, 02:21 AM
Nandri Aravindhan.

Actually I came across a nice site in Google. They seem to have a good collection of thooya Tamil names. You can check it at http://www.anbutamil.com . I am trying to get in touch with the operators of that site to see if I can collaborate with them.

Venkat :D

P_R
10th February 2009, 04:05 PM
>digr>
Plum David Boon was a reference to GM dialaak in Jaihind. oru constAble David , Boon, Anthony, Richard ippidi pEr vechchukkAma...innum Govindsamy, Kuppusamy -nu village level-layE irukkEngaLE ya

Neither GM (nor me) mention it in the religious context. ippo dhaan Joe eppidi Bala madha saNdaiyai varAma irukkura maathiirukkalAmnu ezhudhinAr. solli mudikkalai, I am posting something seemingly contentious. :-)

Seriously, the issue that GM (and I) are referring to is the urge to be urban. In my family some cousin of mine or the other has been having kids every year for the past few years now. They have stopped asking my suggestion because they are too "karnAtakam".

இதுல அமெரிக்க வாழ் இந்தொயர்களுக்கு பெயர் ஈரசைச்சீராக இருக்க வேண்டும் என்று நிபந்தனை வேறு.

Plum
10th February 2009, 04:13 PM
PR, eerasaicheer-na enna?
(digression-la digression - when i was in school, searchign for the lost house key outside the house and was accosted by a approx 3 years neighbouring kid "Anna, enna thedureenga". "saavi pa". The kid said "Saavina enna?" - unga nilamai ipdi thaan irukko ippa? :-)

Plum
10th February 2009, 04:14 PM
BTW, Hub-la sandhu pondhu ellaam athupadi polirukku? Naanellam edho IR forum, Sivaji thread, appappo Naan Kadavul thread-oda sari.

P_R
10th February 2009, 04:20 PM
eerasai seer kinda means two syllables word.
attempted humour - as it is term used exclusively in poetry

Fearing American mauling many Indians have opted for short quick names. enakku passport-la pEr ezudhura idathula PTO ellAm varum.

indu idukku sandhu bondhula suththuradhai vida enna vElai.

Quite seriously, some of the names have simply gone out of circulation in the last few years. I feel that sense of loss quite heavily.

Shakthiprabha.
10th February 2009, 04:21 PM
//Quite seriously, some of the names have simply gone out of circulation in the last few years. I feel that sense of loss quite heavily//

Examples plz.

_________

If this thread doesn't limit itself to tamizh names alone, I feel saddened when I find

Bhargavi (I simply AM HEAD OVER HEELS in love with this particular name 'Bhargavi' ) bhageerathi , Meenakshi , and Vishalam totally MISSING :( (those are just few I could recollect) The impact for bhargavi, meenakshi and vishalam is much more than others.

I love many of patti's gen or koLLu patti gen names. (It stops with female names, as I aint too fond of ramasamy or raman or even few tamilised version of any sanskrit MEN names :( )

Plum
10th February 2009, 04:26 PM
Prabhu Ram, the salient point is that even Ramesh, Suresh are not fashionable any more. That is what I meant by this too shall pass.
Neenga solra maadhiri, adutha level of fashion can only be David, Boon, Bill, Clinton....

Ok ok ipdi two syllables-nu thamizhleye sonna nanna puriyaradhu :-)

P_R
10th February 2009, 04:27 PM
//Quite seriously, some of the names have simply gone out of circulation in the last few years. I feel that sense of loss quite heavily//

Examples plz.
I was going to ask elders like you :twisted:

Some examples:

I don't think I have seen an ArAvamudhan or a Vatsala (two of my favourite names) for any kid.

equanimus
10th February 2009, 04:28 PM
ennaik kEttA, idhellAm part of the great human comedy. idhai oru poruttA eduththu mAththaRadhu, innoru layer of 'social acceptance' 'ai dhAn uruvAkkum, 'nu ninaikkiREn. appuRam, David Boon 'nu pEru vechchA thappillai'nnu nammaLE thirumba vandhu pEsa vENdiyirukkum.

iReikkaiyO kombO muLaichchi, irukkuRa varaikkum chandhOshamA irundhuttup pOga vENdiyadhu dhAnE...

Shakthiprabha.
10th February 2009, 04:28 PM
Vatsala is good. I have a friend named vatsala :D

Check my post for names I miss :(

sarna_blr
10th February 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't think I have seen an ArAvamudhan or a Vatsala (two of my favourite names) for any kid.

I have a friend named Vatsala :) she is Kannadathi :P Kannada people use this name now also 8-)

equanimus
10th February 2009, 04:38 PM
[I know I've linked to this piece before here. Just that it's relevant and I love the way it is written.] By the way, here's (http://jeyamohan.in/?p=307) Jeyamohan on this subject treating it with the sort of absurdity it deserves.

Plum
10th February 2009, 04:39 PM
eq, but ofcourse. BTW, Apdiye Kamal accent-la unga post-ai padichen. Nanna porundhi varudhu :-)

Sanguine Sridhar
10th February 2009, 04:41 PM
When I was studiyng 4th or 5th I dont remember exactly, one of my classmate's name is Vandarkuzhali. We used to call her Vandu! Ippo yosichu paatha evvalo lovely-ana name? :) Yaarum vaikiradhilla!

Shakthiprabha.
10th February 2009, 04:43 PM
Why some names become not fashionable, is because they would have been too common in prev gen. Its demand vs supply theory everwhere.

Since I belong to the gen, where everywhere we turn we could hear only names ending with "esh" . Kettu kettu aluthu poivittahtu. :banghead: I do not cherish many names which end with "esh"

enakku pidikatha names-il siladhu

Ramesh
Suresh
Mahesh
Bhuvanesh

that includes

Shridhar
Prabha (:oops: onnum seyya mudiyathu. too late :lol2:)
Balaji
Mukunthan (it wont do any better to stop it at mukunth, result is the same)

Enakku piditha thamizh names

Thamarai
malligai
malarvizhi
ezhil

Shakthiprabha.
10th February 2009, 04:45 PM
Vandarkuzhali!

azhagazana peyar :clap:
nalla peyarai azhaga yaarum muzhusa koopudarathillai :(

sarna_blr
10th February 2009, 04:45 PM
SS, Nataraj'a nattu'nu kooppiduvaanga :lol2:

In Alli-Arjuna same pattern is there,
Arivazhagan - Arivu
Thamizharasi - Thamizh and so on
and then
Ilavarasan - :lol2:

P_R
10th February 2009, 04:46 PM
ennaik kEttA, idhellAm part of the great human comedy. idhai oru poruttA eduththu mAththaRadhu, innoru layer of 'social acceptance' 'ai dhAn uruvAkkum, 'nu ninaikkiREn. appuRam, David Boon 'nu pEru vechchA thappillai'nnu nammaLE thirumba vandhu pEsa vENdiyirukkum..

True. But can we really take such a big picture in a timeless scale. "Eventually everyone is a shade of beige". irundhaalum......I kinda brought this up in the Guest thread which you abandoned.

Steven Levitt's Freakonomics has a chapter about the naming convention and how it spreads. How black communities and/or others from lower socioeconomic strata start adopting names after it becomes hit in white/upper classes. The some years hence it becomes a dominant name in the lower strata which makes it less appealing for in the higher latitudes. Hence a cycle.

The Indian parallel is exists though it is significantly more complicated.

an eesal by any other name called (say SandhrapOse) ....I allege...will not be an eesal. What is an eesal, pOnRa thathhuva kELvigaLukkuL pOvadhu thadai seyyappattuLLadhu.

Sanguine Sridhar
10th February 2009, 04:50 PM
Namma thaan perukku ivvalo importance kodukuroma?

Cricketers like Broom,Cook etc... are funny!

P_R
10th February 2009, 04:55 PM
Kepler Wessels, Clive Rice, Jimmy Cook : nallA thaan yA set sErndhirukkAinga

P_R
10th February 2009, 04:58 PM
Mpumelelo Mbangwa : nee dhaanyA mAnasthan
I am waiting to see a scoreboard with the name !xobile

Some Chinese guys have an English name: Tat-kei Lai....but you call me Jimmy appidimbAnunga :x

equanimus
10th February 2009, 04:59 PM
But PR, to most people, these local names are already alien in some way or the other. We're far too hybrid to think locally. It's all absurd and silly, but to correct it is to ask time to move backwards, I think. Ultimately of course, I understand that I'm making light of this situation because I am asking, "what's in a name?"

[ALERT: Digression and politically incorrect observations.] On a related note, the other day, I was telling one of my friends that the Whites are perhaps the freest of races in the world. Because they don't fall back on other races to understand what's "beautiful" as much as the other races fall back on them. And of course, the irony of the situation vis-a-vis "equality of all races." The discussion was about how we are all completely blind to so many "local beauties." (We were talking about the beauty in women, of course.) Most of us, we just don't get it any more, I think.

sarna_blr
10th February 2009, 05:02 PM
Tat-kei Lai....but you call me Jimmy appidimbAnunga :x

that-ko-lEnu :twisted:

Sanguine Sridhar
10th February 2009, 05:06 PM
Mpumelelo Mbangwa : nee dhaanyA mAnasthan
I am waiting to see a scoreboard with the name !xobile

Some Chinese guys have an English name: Tat-kei Lai....but you call me Jimmy appidimbAnunga :x

:lol:

What about Sidebottom - ennanne solreenga?

There is Onion in one of the England county club.

rajasaranam
10th February 2009, 05:09 PM
When I was studiyng 4th or 5th I dont remember exactly, one of my classmate's name is Vandarkuzhali. We used to call her Vandu! Ippo yosichu paatha evvalo lovely-ana name? :) Yaarum vaikiradhilla!

. மிக நெடுங் காலம் முன்பு நான் தமிழ் மொழி வெறியனாய் (இப்பவும் கொஞ்சம் கொஞ்சம் எட்டி பார்த்துடும்) இருக்கும் பொது, ஓரு முறை சு.ப.வீ பேச்சு வாக்கில் சமஸ்க்ரித பெயர்களை எல்லாம் வாரி விட்டு கொன்டிருந்தார். 'என்னடா பேர் வைக்க்றீங்க குஞ்சித பாதம் அப்படின்னா 'யானை காலோன்'ன்னு அர்த்தம், கேசவன் அப்படின்னா மயிரான்னு அர்த்தம் என்று தொடர்ந்து நிறைய பெயர்களை கொச்சை படுத்தி கொன்டிருந்தார்.
மிக பல காலம் கழித்து ஒரு மோன தவத்தில் நான் இருந்த பொழுது எனக்கு சட்டென்று தோன்றிய பெயர் 'வண்டார் குழலி'! சுபவி'யின் தர்க்கத்தையும் இதயும் முடிச்சு போட்டு தெளிவடைந்து சிரித்து கொண்டேன்.

Sanguine Sridhar
10th February 2009, 05:10 PM
And most of the chinese names starts with the letter W,X,Y,Z why that so? Any reasons?

P_R
10th February 2009, 05:14 PM
True we can't turn back time and this reluctance is largely about kicking and screaming (well I dramatize a bit) without going with the flow. But there are certain things it is difficult to be stoic about. For instance if vengAya veththa kuzhambu will disappear from the face of the earth with my generation, I will be disappointed beyong repair.

Well, it does appeal to reason that I'd have had my fill and future generation is clearly a situation when I am not around. So I should logically give two hoots about it. And to sit and agonize of loss-of-culture makes me akin to many conservatives with whom I don't enjoy comparing myself to. irundhaalum.....

Regarding the beauty thing I think it is too multilayered. In the exact context you mention - well, who cares about 'say' beautiful ethnic painted pottery anyway - I think all races are given to prejudiced hierarchies that influence their appreciation. There are exceptions we are willing to make but natural attraction is only in certain directions. This categorization and hierarchies may differ. But it is difficult to conclude one race is "free-er".

P_R
10th February 2009, 05:16 PM
And most of the chinese names starts with the letter W,X,Y,Z why that so? Any reasons?

Predominant sounds in their language. avvaLavu dhaan

China is itself an approxmation of Xin

X is something like ஃ+sch

equanimus
10th February 2009, 05:25 PM
Regarding the beauty thing I think it is too multilayered. In the exact context you mention - well, who cares about 'say' beautiful ethnic painted pottery anyway - I think all races are given to prejudiced hierarchies that influence their appreciation. There are exceptions we are willing to make but natural attraction is only in certain directions. This categorization and hierarchies may differ. But it is difficult to conclude one race is "free-er".
PR,
I think there's is a misunderstanding in the way I used the word "free" here. "Free" not in the sense of absence of prejudices. (What is "natural beauty," anyway?) I use "free" as the opposite of being dependent on a different culture. So of course, there will be sub-cultures etc., some of which will be establishing the widely accepted notions of beauty etc. Any discourse about differences between various cultures is possible only if we identify the respective macro-cultures as atomic entities, isn't it?

crajkumar_be
10th February 2009, 05:33 PM
They have an incredible number of variations of what would in our tongue be the same sound - ஃ+sch, sh, zhh, etc etc.. phew!

Shakthiprabha.
10th February 2009, 05:39 PM
"peru" apdeengara oru common topic a vechu, MEDHAI range kku rendu perum discuss /analysis panreenga :sigh2: thesis ezhuthareenga.
mudiyavillai :|

crajkumar_be
10th February 2009, 05:41 PM
Eq/PR,
edhO oru thread la naan indha perception of beauty and the possibility of racial bias in us pathi oru kelvi ezhuppiyirundhen. Adhu lighta disai thiruppi moral arguments la poiduchu, while my point was not that. Adhavadhu, to be brutally honest, are we all free of color prejudice (w.r.t perception of beauty?)

P.S: This is not about a conscious practice of racial discrimination. Moral angle-a pathi pesala...

Roshan
10th February 2009, 05:41 PM
ennaik kEttA, idhellAm part of the great human comedy. idhai oru poruttA eduththu mAththaRadhu, innoru layer of 'social acceptance' 'ai dhAn uruvAkkum, 'nu ninaikkiREn. appuRam, David Boon 'nu pEru vechchA thappillai'nnu nammaLE thirumba vandhu pEsa vENdiyirukkum.

iReikkaiyO kombO muLaichchi, irukkuRa varaikkum chandhOshamA irundhuttup pOga vENdiyadhu dhAnE...

My opinion too.

And I thinkg it's kind cyclical. Like how clothing fashion keeps changing. maRupadiyum adhE idathukku varuvAnga. oru suzhaRchi muRai enbathu en apiprAyam. And I usually dont have complaints about 'naming' matter as i consider it as something personal.

P_R
10th February 2009, 05:43 PM
I got what you meant by free.
Each culture/ethnic group has its standards based on which beauty is judged. So the reference point being own group versus other (hence the perceived dependency) is a question of hierarchy as perceived by that group. adhai thaan chonnEn.

To cut the euphemism and do some plainspeaking, it could be that both "us" and "them" have the yardstick: "them". So , not "free-er" just higher <cue for riot eruption>. Sweeping generalization. I know. But make attendant sensitivity corrections and accommodate exceptions.

As I was writing I was reminded of GM in nEsam

GM : azhagai paththi brother (Ajith) pEsalAm....oru aLavukku naanum pEsalaam
Senthil: phhhhhh

Pottery beauty, inner beauty ellAm out of purview of course.
indha publicist thollai thaanga mudiyala...indhaanga:

A moment's beauty is always there
For ev'ry creature that was around
It's only those who have some to spare
Who give hope of life unbound

Then there are morals then there's shame
Worse, each has an innate talent
God ! Whoever said 'twas a fair game
It's just us cynics who are gallant

Shakthiprabha.
10th February 2009, 05:44 PM
PR,
I think there's is a misunderstanding in the way I used the word "free" here. "Free" not in the sense of absence of prejudices. (What is "natural beauty," anyway?) I use "free" as the opposite of being dependent on a different culture. So of course, there will be sub-cultures etc., some of which will be establishing the widely accepted notions of beauty etc. Any discourse about differences between various cultures is possible only if we identify the respective macro-cultures as atomic entities, isn't it?

வென்று விட்டீர் நக்கீரரே எம்மை வென்று விட்டீர் :bow:

___

I remember reading some vague quotes in a novel "roots" where talks in between particular clan has it that, being BLACK is pride and considered beautiful. Not just that, plumper the woman is, she would be lured more. I wonder if it was just a fiction. Characters in the novel would resort to applying black cream to deepen / blacken their complexion :?

Roshan
10th February 2009, 05:44 PM

Yaaru intha mAthiri ellAm pEr vekkiRaanga :confused2: Have you met such people :roll:

Roshan
10th February 2009, 05:48 PM
They have an incredible number of variations of what would in our tongue be the same sound - ஃ+sch, sh, zhh, etc etc.. phew!

True a chinese colleague of mine whose name is spelt as Zang but pronounced as Scheng. And it is the case with all east Asians. Naan inga paduRa pAdu enakkuthAn theriyum and I put lot of effort to try and pronounce their names correctly, because I usually get annoyed when some one pronounces my name differently ( ellArum appadithAnnu nenekiREn) .

P_R
10th February 2009, 05:51 PM
Adhavadhu, to be brutally honest, are we all free of color prejudice (w.r.t perception of beauty?).
Surely not.
Why beauty alone. Even otherwise too.
Imagine being in a metro train compartment with just one other tall built like a mountain guy. Our - or speaking for myself, my - degree of nervousness depends on the race of the guy.

equanimus
10th February 2009, 05:58 PM
Adhavadhu, to be brutally honest, are we all free of color prejudice (w.r.t perception of beauty?)
Bala,
In the first post where I digressed from the topic, wherever I say "we," I'm most certainly including myself first, on all counts.

To cut the euphemism and do some plainspeaking, it could be that both "us" and "them" have the yardstick: "them". So , not "free-er" just higher <cue for riot eruption>.
But I mean "free" in the same sense as you say "high!" Higher the freer. Ultimately many of "our" prejudices depend on "them," and besides that, we have prejudices within our culture, just like they do within their culture. eppadip pArththAlum, "avingaLukku" asalUrkkAran intrusion kammi dhAnE?

Roshan
10th February 2009, 06:08 PM

That reminds me - I've got a friend whose name is 'Senkathir Chelvi' - I love that name. Her two brothers have been namesd as 'Parithi' and 'AruNan'. All three denote the SUN.

Another friend is Puvi Chandran. We call him Puvi. And his brother is Ravi Chandran.

Another name I like most is Amudha.

Our hub friend Akil's name is ARivazhagan. And he has named his daughter 'Amirtha'.

littlemaster1982
10th February 2009, 06:12 PM

Yaaru intha mAthiri ellAm pEr vekkiRaanga :confused2: Have you met such people :roll:

Ivangallam South African Cricketers :D

equanimus
10th February 2009, 06:18 PM
And Bala, ultimately, Man is an idiot. There is no need to get moralistic about such things. And this is not just about racial profiling. None of us are (ok, I certainly am not) completely free of class profiling either. Who asks for lift matters to us before we give a lift. Many a time, it's only "fair" (or at any rate, safe) from our side of things to do so. EdhO oru nambikkaiyila, namma subconscious'ukkuL namakkuth thOnRum uNmaigaLai Eththittu irukkOm. avvaLavu dhAn.

Imagine being in a metro train compartment with just one other tall built like a mountain guy. Our - or speaking for myself, my - degree of nervousness depends on the race of the guy.
True.

Roshan
10th February 2009, 06:20 PM

Ivangallam South African Cricketers :D

I know that Senthil but David Boon pathiyellAm irunthathu discusison I thought people from our part of world are naming their children with such names. Adhaan kEttEn appadi nejemAvE pEr vekkiRaangaLannu. Perhaps I quoted the wrong post :oops:

One of by British colleague's name is Katriona Street. A bit of a tough person to handle. Every time she walk into our department there'd be some head ache. Street'ku Singalathula 'pAra' so a colleague of mine the moment he sees her - would alert me saying 'Miss Para enavA' (miss pAra is coming) get ready' :lol:

sarna_blr
10th February 2009, 06:21 PM
"peru" apdeengara oru common topic a vechu, MEDHAI range kku rendu perum discuss /analysis panreenga :sigh2: thesis ezhuthareenga.
mudiyavillai :|

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

SP akka, maraththula irundhu keezha vizhura apple'a eduththu saapdadhaan namakku theriyum :lol2: but puviyeerpu visaya aaraaya mEdhaigalaala dhaan mudiyum 8-)

Sanguine Sridhar
10th February 2009, 06:24 PM

Cricketers!

What about Srilankan Cricketers

Vaas - Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

Kulasekara - Kulasekara Mudiyanselage Dinesh Nuwan Kulasekara

Roshan - Is he a hindu? Kulasekara aazhwar kelivipatrukeengala?

Plum
10th February 2009, 07:00 PM
PR, if you remember Wessels, Rice and Cook in the same team, then you must be atleast 33, correcta? :-)

P_R
10th February 2009, 07:02 PM

One juvenile college joke my friend and I shared. Apply Mani-Ramani based on whether you find it funny or not.

Apparently Vaas' grandmother died trying to call him by his full name

She died around the patabendige
oorA ?
illai pEru

Two weirdos laugh helplessly and are thrown out of class

crajkumar_be
10th February 2009, 07:21 PM
PR, if you remember Wessels, Rice and Cook in the same team, then you must be atleast 33, correcta? :-)
:lol2:

P_R
10th February 2009, 07:24 PM
In a wide enough significance interval yes.

I don't actually recall Rice. I only remember he captained in the match in the other stadium in Delhi where Shasthri and Manjrekar hit centuries. I started following cricket only from 91-92.

Jimmy Cook first ball of India's first SA tour '92, nicked Kapil to Sachin at slips.

I had an undue fascination for left hand batsmen (namma pasanga-nnu), so Kepler Wessels-kku initial-A oru disproportionate memory. It took too many "b Prabhakar"'s to dislodge him.

But the trio I remember largely for the pun I coined in school (oops) and thought was clever. Wouldn't say I matured much later

Sample:

Q: Why was Ranatunga interested only in gold
A: Because he already had de Silva

P_R
10th February 2009, 07:27 PM
Roshan, David Boon , as I said, is from a thalaivar ponmozhi. Crucial comma between David and Boon :-)

Any discourse about differences between various cultures is possible only if we identify the respective macro-cultures as atomic entities, isn't it? Agree.

But higher and free are different for one reason. neenga solra "free" appidingradhula oru element of choice irukku. My higher leans to "of course that's naturally the way isn't it ?". Steeped in prejudice again when I make that statement too.

equanimus
10th February 2009, 07:58 PM
Oh, ok... I didn't mean to say they are freer to make the "right choices" with respect to beauty. When you say "that's natural," the constructs of the higher are to a good extent free of the influence of that of the lower, right? adhu dhAn nAn sonna "free." (The actual conversation I was having with my friend would have made the context clearer.)

equanimus
10th February 2009, 08:10 PM
By the way, there used to be a running joke back then just after the apartheid-related ban on SA was lifted, remember? On the lines of "Take the Rice, Cook it, and clean the Wessels." No, seriously, and I was Mani.

[Last digressional post from me.]

P_R
10th February 2009, 08:17 PM
adhu dhAn nAn sonna "free."purinchch.

No, seriously, and I was Mani. indha dhairiyam namakku varamAttEngudhE...:lol2:

Roshan
10th February 2009, 08:29 PM

Cricketers!

Sridhar, Most Sinhalese have long names. Their family name, father's name, avanga name'nu oru chinna vaRalaaRE irukkum avanga pErla. pEra vechu entha area, enna caste'nu kandupidikkalAmnu solluvaanga. Even spelling matters. Warnakulasuriya I guess must be his father's name and Patabandige is family name. Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas is his name. Joseph Vaas is one of the most hailed Cathalic Priest who was instrumental in spreading Catholicism in Sri Lanka.

Kulasekara is a Budhist. Kulasekara in Hindu names is something new to me. Thanks for sharing. Most Singhalese names have elements of Sanskrit (Paali-Sanskrit connection). Ungalukku Rohith'na ingu Rohitha, Ramesh turns Romesh (Former Cricketer Romesh Ratnayake), Kumar becomes Kumara (Kumara Dharmasena). Ippadi niRaiya connections uNdu between Hindu names and Budhist names.

I had an undue fascination for left hand batsmen (namma pasanga-nnu), so Kepler Wessels-kku initial-A oru disproportionate memory. It took too many "b Prabhakar"'s to dislodge him.

Prabhu, are you a lefty ? :roll:

Roshan
10th February 2009, 08:30 PM

ParAvailla 45 ippO 33 aagi irukku :lol2:

P_R
10th February 2009, 08:52 PM
I had an undue fascination for left hand batsmen (namma pasanga-nnu), so Kepler Wessels-kku initial-A oru disproportionate memory. It took too many "b Prabhakar"'s to dislodge him. Prabhu, are you a lefty ? :roll:

Sourav Ganguly
Lance Klusener

andha range 8-)

Roshan
10th February 2009, 09:02 PM
I had an undue fascination for left hand batsmen (namma pasanga-nnu), so Kepler Wessels-kku initial-A oru disproportionate memory. It took too many "b Prabhakar"'s to dislodge him. Prabhu, are you a lefty ? :roll:

Sourav Ganguly
Lance Klusener

andha range 8-)

:roll:

littlemaster1982
10th February 2009, 09:10 PM

Sourav Ganguly
Lance Klusener

andha range 8-)

Batting mattum left handed. Matthadhu ellam right.

Roshan
10th February 2009, 09:18 PM

Sourav Ganguly
Lance Klusener

andha range 8-)

Batting mattum left handed. Matthadhu ellam right.

I thought so too but ivaru eppO batting ellAm paNNaar'grA doubtu.. adhaan koncham yOsichEn :P

P_R
10th February 2009, 10:54 PM
naan niRaiya matchugaL viLayAdiyirukkEn
sorry....paathirukkEn

Sanguine Sridhar
11th February 2009, 02:59 PM

Cricketers!

Sridhar, Most Sinhalese have long names. Their family name, father's name, avanga name'nu oru chinna vaRalaaRE irukkum avanga pErla. pEra vechu entha area, enna caste'nu kandupidikkalAmnu solluvaanga. Even spelling matters. Warnakulasuriya I guess must be his father's name and Patabandige is family name. Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas is his name. Joseph Vaas is one of the most hailed Cathalic Priest who was instrumental in spreading Catholicism in Sri Lanka.

Kulasekara is a Budhist. Kulasekara in Hindu names is something new to me. Thanks for sharing. Most Singhalese names have elements of Sanskrit (Paali-Sanskrit connection). Ungalukku Rohith'na ingu Rohitha, Ramesh turns Romesh (Former Cricketer Romesh Ratnayake), Kumar becomes Kumara (Kumara Dharmasena). Ippadi niRaiya connections uNdu between Hindu names and Budhist names.

Thanks for the informations Roshan. Very interesting. :)

P_R
16th February 2009, 04:10 PM
Something yesterday that reminded me of this thread.....

Got an auto from the airport

Me: en pEr Prabhu, unga pErunga ?
Auto driver: pavaLavaNNan
Me: ada romba nalla pErunga....neenga kaanchipuramA ?
PV: illainga
Me: anga oru kOvil-la saami pEru pavaLavaNNar
PV: andha kaalathula periyavanga vechcha pEr Sir
Me: ippollAm yaarum indha maadhiri pErE vaikkuradhillai
(my unborn son swallows hard in mortal fear)

PV's riding style seemed focused on getting me to quickly meet his more celebrated namesake.A Lancer guys cuts sharp across several lanes demanding the best skills of PV to avoid a collision. This is followed by a string of choice epithets from Sri PavaLavaNNar.

I found that very funny, what's in a name and all that....

Director V.Sekar in an interview

Anchor: unga pasangaLai paththi konjam sollunga
VS: payyan pEru karal marx....podhuvudamai thaththuvathula enakku eerppu irundhadhaale, andha pErai vachchEn
Anchor: Karal Marx enna paNraar ?
VS: coimbatore-la MBA padikkiRAr.

crajkumar_be
16th February 2009, 04:31 PM
(my unborn son swallows hard in mortal fear)

Sariyana dilemma, seriously!

podalangai
16th February 2009, 04:55 PM
Kulasekara in Hindu names is something new to me. Thanks for sharing.

Kulasekaran is, as far as I know, only used in Tamil Nadu and, possibly, Kerala. There were a number of Chera and Pandiya kings by that name ("Kulasekara varman", "Kulasekara Cheraman", "Maravarman Kulasekara Pandiyan" and so on).

Most Singhalese names have elements of Sanskrit (Paali-Sanskrit connection). Ungalukku Rohith'na ingu Rohitha, Ramesh turns Romesh (Former Cricketer Romesh Ratnayake), Kumar becomes Kumara (Kumara Dharmasena). Ippadi niRaiya connections uNdu between Hindu names and Budhist names.

When my aunt and uncle still lived in Sri Lanka, they had a Sikh acquaintence who was called Vikram Singh. He regularly received letters addressed to "Mr. Wickramasinghe". My own name mutated into "Aravinda" often enough, in the days when I used to do some work with Sri Lanka. :)

Roshan
17th February 2009, 02:35 PM
Kulasekara in Hindu names is something new to me. Thanks for sharing.

Kulasekaran is, as far as I know, only used in Tamil Nadu and, possibly, Kerala. There were a number of Chera and Pandiya kings by that name ("Kulasekara varman", "Kulasekara Cheraman", "Maravarman Kulasekara Pandiyan" and so on).

Most Singhalese names have elements of Sanskrit (Paali-Sanskrit connection). Ungalukku Rohith'na ingu Rohitha, Ramesh turns Romesh (Former Cricketer Romesh Ratnayake), Kumar becomes Kumara (Kumara Dharmasena). Ippadi niRaiya connections uNdu between Hindu names and Budhist names.

When my aunt and uncle still lived in Sri Lanka, they had a Sikh acquaintence who was called Vikram Singh. He regularly received letters addressed to "Mr. Wickramasinghe". My own name mutated into "Aravinda" often enough, in the days when I used to do some work with Sri Lanka. :)

Oh! idha eppadi maRanthEn - example kodukkumpOthu :)

Hope you are keeping well Aravindhan. Romba naaL aachu ungakooda pEsi.