PDA

View Full Version : jowar roti

mk
6th January 2005, 11:20 PM
:?:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me a good jowar roti recipe and instructions. I was wondering what a good side dish is for jowar rotis also. I once had them in a visit to Karnataka and was very impressed and would love to know how to make them. thank you

napolims445
26th February 2005, 03:20 AM
Jowar-1 cup
water-3/4 cup
salt to taste

First boil water with salt and switch off the stove and put jowar flour and just roughly mix it and close the pan for 5 minutes.
then take the dough and knead the dough like u do for chapathi.
Jowar does not have elasticity so its not so easy to roll them flat. u need a lot of practice. (I'm still in the process of improving and improving.)
The traditional style(which i have never done) is that they pat the dough with just palms till it becomes flat.
Modern style(which i use) is just flour the platform and keep the ball of dough and roll with rolling pin(this is not so easy to the beginners because it tears as u try to roll them flat).
Then heat the tava and carefully transfer the roti on tava and apply water on the top side and wait till the water drys and the other side cooks completely and then turn over and let the other side roast by itself without touching to move but u can press with a piece of cloth when u see bubbles coming and as it roasts it releases and u know its cooked completely.

I'm still a beginner in jowar roti making- if there is someone better experienced please share ur tips

napolims445
26th February 2005, 03:29 AM
there are a lot of different curries for jowar roti.
The popular ones being Stuffed baingan with gravy, pundipalya ( special dal with gongura leaves), udurupalya ( split moong with dill leaves, uduru- dry and palya-curry), and sengadahindi ( senga-peanut and hindi-powder).

shanta
26th February 2005, 05:18 AM
napilms, do you have sengadahindi and udurupalya recipes?

years ago, i had jowar rottis with curds and some chutney powder which was sengadahindi i think, and the ever popular ranjaka! yum, yuuum!

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 10:31 AM
Udurupalya- (uduru=dry, palya=curry)
north karnataka recipe eaten with jowar roti

split moong dal- 1 cup
sabsipalya( dill leaves, suva bhaji)- 1 bunch from indian store
garlic- however u prefer- cut into strips
green chillies- ur taste
karalhindi(sorry do not know what is it called in other languages)kind of powder- 1-2 tbsp
salt

cut the sabsipalya and wash well in water and drain and then in seasoning oil add curry leaves, garlic, green chillies and sabsipalya and saute for a while till the raw smell and flavour of sabsipalya is gone and it is cooked. keep it aside. then boil moong dal in water and turmeric till it is cooked but not mushy(i mean the moong should maintain the shape and be cooked)
after the moong is done add the sabsipalya mixture and karalhindi and salt and mix for a while till all the flavour blends.
u can add lime juice if u want.
ur udurupalya is ready.
hope u will like it

u mentioned ranjaka-i have never heard of that. i dont know if u meant junka.

tomato
3rd March 2005, 02:40 PM
Hello napolims445,
Can u pls post the recipe for stuffed baigan with gravy. I had it once at 'kamath yatri nivas in blore'. That and fresh hot jola roti is indeed a heavenly combination. Pls post the recipe asap. My mouth is already watering........

Also if possible post the recipes of pundi palya and jhunka also....
And what r gongura leaves?

I'm sorry to trouble u so much but can u also post the recipe for shenga chutney, but no hurry I'll wait for it. But stuffed baigan recipe is quite urgent.

shanta
3rd March 2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks, napolims445! Please post more N. Karnatak recipes if you have any.

u mentioned ranjaka-i have never heard of that. i dont know if u meant junka.Ranjaka is a red chilli paste which is very hot and is usually served with Jowar rottis in N. Karnataka - half a teaspoon goes a long way! Don't know if I spelled it right but that's how it sounded.

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 08:32 PM
Tomato,
U can find the recipes of north karnataka (of stuffed baingan) in" north karnataka-karal hindi" section.

napolims445
3rd March 2005, 09:17 PM
ok..then i have eaten that red chilly chutney but we call it khara chutney. ranjaka was a new word to me till u mentioned. i get that chutney from home(india) so I do not have the recipe.I'll try to get that recipe sometime.

abhay.seetha
9th November 2006, 09:06 AM
Rajaka is made with ripe red chillies (not the dried ones). It is fairly simple to make. Grind the fresh red chillies with salt and tamarind. Include garlic if required. Thats it!!