PDA

View Full Version : K.Balajee - producer cum actor

Waterloo
6th November 2009, 04:12 PM
[tscii:969f349798]Krishnamachari Balajee (1934-2009) was a leading figure in Tamil cinema both as an actor and as a successful producer with a penchant for remaking Tamil films from Hindi. His contribution to the growth of Tamil cinema in the past few decades has bee n immense but not properly appreciated or rewarded. Making his debut in Gemini Studios’ ‘Avvaiyar’ (1953) as Lord Muruga when he was still in his teens, Balajee was active in Tamil theatre, and even had his own drama troupe at one time.

Not many are aware of his aristocratic background. He hailed from the illustrious family of Dewan Bahadur T. Rangachariar, one of the legal giants of the Madras High Court, whose palatial residence Ritherdon House, on Ritherdon Road in Purasawalkam, was a landmark building of the city in the decades gone by.

One of the lawyer’s sons was Krishnamachari, whose wife was a Malayali. Balajee was their son. For many reasons the mother and her two children underwent hardship in their early years, but Balajee inherited his share of the father’s property which included a fine bungalow, ‘Canberra’ on Pantheon Road, where he lived till the end of his life.

Why ‘Canberra’? Thereby hangs a tale. The British Government sent Rangachariar to the Commonwealth Conference held at Canberra, the Australian capital, as a member of the Indian delegation. The lawyer named this bungalow in memory of his visit.

After his education Balajee worked for some time and then joined Narasu Studios at Guindy founded by the coffee magnate turned film producer, V.L. Narasu. His dignified bearing, handsomeness and capacity for hard work enabled him to make a mark as production manager. It also helped him to get closer to Hindi film screenwriters, movie stars and others, for during that period Narasu indulged in Hindi film production too.

One of the movies remade in Tamil was ‘Premapaasam’ (1956) with Gemini Ganesh and Savithri. This film was a remake of the Hindi box office bonanza, ‘Kismat,’ in which Ashok Kumar played hero. Balajee, besides working on the production side, also played a role — his first as a young man in his early 20s.

Balajee’s manner of choosing the Hindi movies he wished to remake was interesting. Staying in Bombay for a short while, he would engage a taxi and chat with the driver to know his impressions about the new releases. This interaction with the common man he believed was the best way of getting the low-down on a movie and its remake prospects.

Lead roles

During 1958-59 he acted in as many as 11 films. They included ‘Paanai Pidithaval Bhagyasaali’ (Savithri was his heroine), ‘Manamulla Marudhaaram,’ ‘Sahodari’ and ‘Manaiviyae Manidhanin Manickam.’ However, many of these films were not successful at the box office. In the 1960s he fared better and Sridhar’s ‘Policekaaran Magal’ was a success. Another interesting film written and produced by Kannadasan in which he played the lead role was ‘Karuppu Panam.’ He also played supporting roles in hit movies like ‘Padithal Mattum Podhuma,’ ‘Thillanna Mohanambal’ and ‘Kapalottiya Thamizhan.’

With his organisational skills and wide contacts, he turned producer in the mid-1960s and established his own production company, Sujatha Cine Arts, so named after his daughter. (She is married to the Malayalam superstar Mohanlal.)

The maiden offering was ‘Annaavin Aasai’ (1966) with Gemini Ganesh and Savithri.

Balajee continued to produce a movie every year and release it on his wedding day, January 26. Such films included ‘Thangai’ ‘Thirudan’ and ‘En Thambi,’ directed by the multilingual filmmaker, A.C. Trilokchandar.

String of hits

In 1970, he made a significantly successful film, again by Tirlokchandar, ‘Engirundho Vandhaal,’ in which Jayalalithaa was paired with Sivaji Ganesan. More movies such as ‘Needhi,’ ‘En Magan,’ ‘Unakkaaga Naan,’ ‘Raja,’ ‘Thyaagam,’ ‘Nalladoru Kudumbam,’ ‘Sujatha,’ ‘Savaal’ and ‘Theerppu,’ followed. ‘Vaazhvey Maayam,’ produced by his son Suresh Balajee with Kamal Haasan, Sridevi and Sripriya, was a major hit running for 200 days. ‘Sattam’ with Kamal and Madhavi, was a remake of ‘Dostana.’ Directed by K. Vijayan, it had a 100-day run. ‘Needhipadhi’ directed by R. Krishnamurthy, was a major hit. His biggest hit was Rajinikanth’s ‘Billa,’ a remake of the Hindi film ‘Don.’

With such an outstanding track record it is not surprising that Balajee was one of the top personalities of south Indian cinema.

In later years with his wife predeceasing him his health suffered too. The end came a few days ago.

As a boy he had dreams of becoming a lawyer like his illustrious grandfather but Destiny had other plans for him!

[/tscii:969f349798]

Waterloo
6th November 2009, 04:13 PM
[tscii:b8ef75f2ee]In the list of actors-turned-producers two names will stand out. They are: Sandow Chinnappa Devar and K Balajee. Devar was a stunt actor who took to production and carved a niche for himself. His banner — Devar Films — carried a lot of re spect and goodwill and he went on to become one of the front-line producers in South India.

Though Devar produced a lot of films with MGR as the hero, his other subjects based on bhakti and animals caught the imagination of the filmgoers and seldom did he fail at the box-office. Likewise, Balajee who made more films with Sivaji Ganesan as the hero, made stupendous success with Kamal Hassan, Rajnikanth and others also. Hence, like Devar, Balajee too enjoyed a remarkable success rate.

Strong rapport

Meticulous planning, total commitment and, of course, luck featured the professional life of Balajee and Devar. No wonder that they stood with pride on a different pedestal. Interestingly enough, Devar never produced a film with Sivaji Ganesan as the hero and Balajee never booked MGR for his films. The duo used to say, “There is no particular reason for that. Sticking to a winning combination is a strong tendency in our field.” However, MGR was more than a friend to Devar while Balajee developed a strong rapport with Ganesan both on and off the sets. Ganesan once said of Balajee, “At work place he is my Mudalali (boss) and once the work is over he is my best friend.”

When Balajee arrived on the Tamil film scene, MGR, Sivaji Ganesan and Gemini Ganesan were at the peak of fame. Can this tall, handsome-looking young man join the race? That was the question. Balajee acted in a series of films in which he looked refreshing with his pleasant body language and manly voice with which he delivered the lines. Even before the film fans could fix a slot for Balajee in their priority list, he turned producer. ‘Annavin Aasai’ was his first film as a producer. The film was not a big success but good enough to boost the morale of Balajee to stick to the new role. Balajee made an effective impact through his film ‘Thangai.’ This Sivaji Ganesan starrer was a tremendous hit and the Balajee-Ganesan combination did not look back.

Having established himself as a frontline producer, Balajee continued to act in films produced by others. Though his roles were brief, he lent charm and dignity to those characters with his breezy style of acting. In ‘Babu,’ he did the role of a Good Samaritan in a manner born. In the scene in which he treats a rickshaw-puller to a feast, Balajee shares acting honours with Sivaji, Sowcar Janaki and Sri Devi (child artist in that film).

With his nonchalant approach, Balajee delighted the audience. If the film ‘Policekaaran Magal’ brought out the histrionic talent of Balajee in full measure, then ‘Bale Pandiya’ brought out the comedian in him. And in the late 1950s he donned the role of a king in Kalki’s ‘Parthiban Kanavu.’ That brief but powerful role earned Balajee rich tributes and awards.

Almost all his films are re-makes. That meant he was taking an enormous risk. But then, these films never let him down. “Re-makes encourage meticulous planning and boost the spirit of teamwork as all of us know what we are doing. Moreover, I always remake films that carry strong aspects that offer absolute entertainment and also carry a valuable message to the society. As long as the theme is new and enjoyable the film-goer will never complain.” That was the motto of Balajee who carried the aroma of success throughout his life. A role-model indeed!

http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2009/05/15/stories/2009051551370700.htm[/tscii:b8ef75f2ee]

Waterloo
6th November 2009, 04:15 PM
May be knowledgeable hubbers like Sarada SN can write more about Balajee

app_engine
6th November 2009, 09:17 PM
In the list of actors-turned-producers two names will stand out. They are: Sandow Chinnappa Devar and K Balajee.

These two also stand out for a very bad reason - both of them glorified the names of two beasts - billA & rangA - child molesters and killers (who were hanged by judiciary later) :-(

And Rajinikanth happened to be the co-conspirator in both cases. Bad, bad mistakes of glorifying the names of criminals - in the TN society where movie stars / character names are often idolized! That too singing like 'my name is billA', making so many youngsters do the same - what insanity :-(

That the so-called-high-ethics-Ajith chose to use the same title wipes out all such "build-ups", proving how low people can go for their business purposes.

Sorry for the strong words but such was my indignation during the school days towards those two Delhi criminals who did horrendous things to kids!

leosimha
6th November 2009, 11:10 PM
That the so-called-high-ethics-Ajith chose to use the same title wipes out all such "build-ups", proving how low people can go for their business purposes.

hello app_engine, do you think that Ajith would have known about those 2 gangsters billa & ranga?

app_engine
6th November 2009, 11:28 PM
leosimha,

Unless there's evidence otherwise, one has to take it that he does know who that name originally belongs to. I don't think they name movies just like that when crores are at stake.

In addition, these criminals were in Delhi and the case was nationally popular in 1978.

I just saw in the web that Indian Goverment's gallantry awards for children are named after those two kids murdered, Sanjay & Geeta Chopra. OTOH, TN film folks fashion the names of their heroes (and thus influence the youngsters of TN) after the killers.

What an irony!

app_engine
6th November 2009, 11:47 PM
Digression - my last post on this thread

Transcript of the judgement against those criminals :
http://www.rishabhdara.com/sc/view.php?case=7589

The true purpose of doing so was to let the dusk fall so that the most dastardly act could be committed under the cover of darkness. So deep-laid was the strategy to which they adhered to the last without contrition of any kind. Their inhumanity defies all belief and description.

The survival of an orderly society demands the extinction of the life of persons like Ranga and Billa who are a menace to social order and security. They are professional murderers and deserve no sympathy even in terms of the evolving standards of decency of a maturing society.

leosimha
7th November 2009, 02:17 AM
hello app_engine sir,

thank you posting information on those criminals..

if I am not wrong, billa was released in the year 1981 and became a great hit for Rajini. Now with this film becoming a great hit, I guess people would look at the film's title and its story/script and moreover it is after 25 years that billa has been remade and I guess people won't know about these criminals leave alone the ones who know about it.

sorry for the digression.

but coming to the argument of "glorifying" criminals, yes, "glorifying" criminals is the worst thing.

The hindi film DON (Amitabh Bachchan's) was initially inspired by the then Underworld Don of Mumbai, Haji Mastan.

Also our own tamil film Nayakan (Kamal's) was inspired from Mumbai Underworld don Varadaraja Mudaliar.

so these in itself were inspiration or glorifying, right?

app_engine
7th November 2009, 03:12 AM
One more post, for leosimha:-)

I agree on the remake coming 25 yrs later and most youngsters being not aware of the ghastly incident. Obviously the greater blame goes to the 1981 maker (i.e. K Balaji, the darling of this thread) who chose to cash on the sensational name. It's just a feeling that our relatively-mature heroes like Ajith, who have a lot of clout, do some research on the labels they'll be promoting and look at them a little more closely / seriously.

I definitely don't like glorification of criminals on movies, they can have strong impression on young minds and can partly shape up their thinking / course of life.

Still, normally I won't dwell on it as the producers of films definitely need creative license and, hey, it's a free country . At the max I'll limit myself from watching such and not bother too much.

However, there're some special occasions when one has to register the protest and this I feel is one. (Imagine Rajinikanth singing an anthem 'my name is gOtsE' and making all youngsters jubilantly echo it, won't you feel upset about it? I will !)

Plum
7th November 2009, 11:01 AM
app, this is extreme. Sakthi-nu kooda dhaan criminals varalAm. adhukkAga apdi pEru vekka koodadhA? Why are you assuming that youngsters will take billa and ranga are role models. In the 25 years since Rajni made them, do you think anyone has ever taken those criminals as role models?
I see that you have a ver low opinion of the maturity levels of our society in general.

app_engine
7th November 2009, 07:03 PM
Plum, tell me one single reason other than that criminal for Balaji to name a Rajinikanth Thamizh movie as Billa.

What does it mean in the day-to-day Thamizh?

I'm not "assuming" that youngsters will take criminals as role models - they have been doing that already :-(

Proof - crime stories / family issues / politicians etc appearing everyday on the news. (No, I'm not telling this single movie is the reason for that but these kind of things numb people to the artrocities of crime, even make them feel these are cool things to do. It'll be interesting to see some leading TF star naming his next movie as KASAB and making an anthem with that name)

If you say the morality-love-ethics etc of the society has improved from 1978 to 2009, then A-to-D :-)

leosimha
9th November 2009, 01:48 PM
app_engine sir, agree on most of your points related to youth getting affected in the course of life if they start glorifying crime etc etc.

surely...no one would like to see a name like KASAB.