PDA

View Full Version : Any Dan Brown fans here?

NOV
20th October 2004, 10:09 AM
Upon recommendation from a friend, I bought Da Vinci Code. The book was unputdownable, so much so, I quickly went out and bought Deception Point and Angels & Demons. It didn't take me very long to finish reading all three books and to arrive to a conclusion that Dan Brown is easily one of the better writers of this generation.

I have yet to read Digital Fortress, as I am now into The Last Juror by John Grisham. But I am sure that Digital Fortress will be another super duper thriller.

The unique thing about Dan Brown's books are that he will have a postscript which will say that the entire book is based on facts and all descriptions of events, people and groups are accurate!

While this also becomes a learning process, it has also raised the ire of several groups who have violently objected to several things that Dan Brown claims to be true. For instance, Da Vinci Code has resulted in several books published to correct the inaccuracies in that book, by several notable Christian organisations. However, all of them put together could not outsell the original Da Vinci Code.

You just have to do a google to find out the frenzy and controversies surrounding Da Vinci Code. In the meantime, Dan Brown himself has chosen to be silent about the criticisms. I understand that Da Vinci Code is a bestseller in the US. Over in Malaysia all four books of Dan Brown are now in the bestseller list!

If you are looking for something good to read and along the way learn some things, I will surely recommend Dan Brown.

NOV
20th October 2004, 10:19 AM
This is the official site of Brown. I suggest that you read at least one of his books, before going into the site.

http://www.danbrown.com/

RangA
20th October 2004, 10:52 AM
Hi Nov, Thanks for the info. The details I read about Dan Brown are pretty much tempting to read him. I shall try Da vinci Code sooner and get back to you. Thanks again.

NOV
20th October 2004, 01:01 PM
Hi Nov, Thanks for the info. The details I read about Dan Brown are pretty much tempting to read him. I shall try Da vinci Code sooner and get back to you. Thanks again.

Yes Ranga, do that. As a John Grisham fan, I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

citrus
23rd October 2004, 12:22 AM
hey NOV tnx for the link [website of Dan Brown ] i haven't read his book .but i was very much interested in reading info about him..soon i willread his "da vinci code".if u have any other authors links plz..do tag them also here ok!! :wink:

NOV
25th October 2004, 09:28 AM
hey NOV tnx for the link [website of Dan Brown ] i haven't read his book .but i was very much interested in reading info about him..soon i willread his "da vinci code".if u have any other authors links plz..do tag them also here ok!! :wink:

Well, I have the whole collections of John Grisham, Sydney Sheldon, Harold Robbins and a few others. I also read Jeffrey Archer.

Some links:

http://library.msstate.edu/grisham_room/
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/grisham/author.html

http://www.twbookmark.com/features/sidneysheldon/index.html

http://www.authorsontheweb.com/features/authormonth/0301archer/archer-jeffrey.asp

Cygnus
26th October 2004, 11:21 PM
NOV,
I recently bought this book. Just started reading it between long hours of work and FHing :D
Darn good start, "several PhDs worth of research" shines through in every line!

NOV
27th October 2004, 01:04 PM
NOV,
I recently bought this book. Just started reading it between long hours of work and FHing :D
Darn good start, "several PhDs worth of research" shines through in every line!
EXACTLY Cygnus. That is why I am recommending this book to all, including cynics of fiction work.

blahblah
29th October 2004, 11:09 AM
Hi NOV,Talent and independent thinking were never accepted in the church. :( Do you know that a little known organisation in Lebanon[Christian Publishing Services or something] forced the govt to ban this book irrespective of it being a Muslim majority nation?But the ban not withstanding, people are running for a copy of this book there. :roll: I think there should be some way to establish the right to liberal thinking and expression.

Cygnus
25th November 2004, 01:02 AM
NOV!!!

I just LOVED this book, the historical background, the extensive symbolism, the etymology of everyday words we don't think twice about, everything about it was riveting at best! And I got my husband (who is not a fan of fiction) to read it too! I am going to start Angels and Demons pretty soon. Did you hear about the movie deal though? Tom Hanks, one of my all time favorite actors, will play Langdon :D I hope they don't reduce Sophie Neveu to some blond bombshell :wink:

nirosha sen
25th November 2004, 11:44 AM
You guys are tempting me so much that I'm going to get Angels and Demons 1st!! Read the synopsis on the cover at Popular Bookstore. They're giving a 20% discount, so let me read up 1st and then I'll join you!!

NOV
26th November 2004, 12:07 PM
NOV!!!

I just LOVED this book, the historical background, the extensive symbolism, the etymology of everyday words we don't think twice about, everything about it was riveting at best! And I got my husband (who is not a fan of fiction) to read it too! I am going to start Angels and Demons pretty soon.
Great!
Yes, he is a remarkable writer, isnt he?
Gives a new meaning to the word unputdownable. :)

Did you hear about the movie deal though? Tom Hanks, one of my all time favorite actors, will play Langdon :D I hope they don't reduce Sophie Neveu to some blond bombshell :wink:
Yucks! I am sure that the movie will not do justice to the book. :(
And Tom Hanks? puhleeeez. :((

NOV
26th November 2004, 12:09 PM
You guys are tempting me so much that I'm going to get Angels and Demons 1st!! Read the synopsis on the cover at Popular Bookstore. They're giving a 20% discount, so let me read up 1st and then I'll join you!!In my opinion, AnD has a better climax than DVC. Enjoy Nirosha!
20% discount? All Popular stores?
Then I must get the fourth book. hehehehe

Querida
2nd December 2004, 03:51 AM
what other books have you read by John Grisham NOV? I have only read Pelican Brief and The Partner...

Querida
2nd December 2004, 03:53 AM
i have not seen one movie do justice to a novel...well ok besides LOTR :D

NOV
2nd December 2004, 05:13 PM
what other books have you read by John Grisham NOV? I have only read Pelican Brief and The Partner...I have all his books and have read them several times over. :)

As for movies doing justice to books, there are a few. For instance the 1st Harry Potter movie, which was an exact replica of the book.
Stephen Kings Misery was also nicely adapted (and so was the Tamil version by Sarita. :))

Querida
2nd December 2004, 10:40 PM
Several times over? Once i read a novel i hardly ever go back unless i have to use it for an essay...or it's Shakespeare,or poetry...other than that i can never bring myself to read or watch something i have already seen...i might go to fav parts...and glance them over...but besides that no way... :D

NOV
3rd December 2004, 07:21 PM
Several times over? Once i read a novel i hardly ever go back unless i have to use it for an essay...or it's Shakespeare,or poetry...other than that i can never bring myself to read or watch something i have already seen...i might go to fav parts...and glance them over...but besides that no way... :D:D
I like to re read my books over the years. I have been buying books since my teens and have a small library. Most of my books I have read a minimum of five times. :)
Yp, including Agatha Christie, James Bond, Alfred Hitchcok.
Now rereading The Exodus by Leon Uris for the umpteenth time. :)

NOV
3rd December 2004, 07:23 PM
Tom Hanks in Da Vinci movie

Double Oscar-winner Tom Hanks will star in the movie version of the best-selling novel The Da Vinci Code, detailing explosive theories on the origins of Christianity, producers said Tuesday.

Tom Hanks will play symbologist Robert Langdon in the film of Dan Brown's book that will be directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard of Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind.

"Tom Hanks is one of the biggest stars in the world today," said co-producer John Calley. "He has all the intelligence, wry sophistication, everyman charm and talent required to bring this role to life, and it's hard to imagine a more perfect fit for the character of Robert Langdon."

The film will be released by Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group on May 19, 2006, the studio said.

The screenplay will be adapted by Akiva Goldsman, who won an Oscar for his work on A Beautiful Mind.

The Da Vinci Code has been on nationwide best-seller lists virtually since its release by Doubleday in 2003, including 87 weeks at the top of the New York Times Bestseller list.

More than 20 million copies of the novel are in print worldwide, and the book has been translated into 42 languages.

The Da Vinci Code film will mark the third time Hanks has collaborated with Howard and co-producer Brian Grazer, following Apollo 13 and Splash. - AFP

Querida
3rd December 2004, 10:22 PM
I like to re read my books over the years. I have been buying books since my teens and have a small library. Most of my books I have read a minimum of five times. :)
Yp, including Agatha Christie, James Bond, Alfred Hitchcok.
Now rereading The Exodus by Leon Uris for the umpteenth time. :)

wow thats impressive...i dont buy the books cause they just stay collecting dust after i have read them..the only books in my mini-library are academic-wise....what i dont understand is that when you re-read something...you may forget some parts but mostly you remember the everything else...doesn't that bore you?...or can you actually find new things and understand the story more so as you read it each time over?

a.ratchasi
17th December 2004, 07:15 AM
Wow! How did I miss this thread?!
Will get back once I have done my share of reading!

Thanks for redirecting me here, NOV!

NOV
17th December 2004, 07:37 AM
what i dont understand is that when you re-read something...you may forget some parts but mostly you remember the everything else...doesn't that bore you?...or can you actually find new things and understand the story more so as you read it each time over?:D
Actually I have 100s of books, and I cannot remember all the plots except for some familiarity. Mostly I read them at about five year intervals. I just finished reading Exodus, which I last read in the 80s!
Some books I do read again for better comprehension and these inclkude all Harry Potter and now Dan Brown books. At the first reading, I get carried away by the suspense and good writing that I miss some important tho minor stuff.
Also, once you know the ending, when you re read them, you tend to understand the author's descriptions, better. Like seeing a movie for a second time. ;)

Welcome AR!

a.ratchasi
17th December 2004, 08:23 AM
Also, once you know the ending, when you re read them, you tend to understand the author's descriptions, better.

Agreed 100%!

The excitement overtakes the finer points of words.
Thereafter, rereading prevails!!

Among all the others books, I would say I have read RKN, Roald Dahl and Mahabharat numerous times more.

And not forgetting biographies of certain historical figures.

Roshan
17th December 2004, 08:37 AM
Also, once you know the ending, when you re read them, you tend to understand the author's descriptions, better.

Very True!!

NOV and Cygs,

You guys tempted me so much - that I bought 'Da Vinci Code' yesterday .I'll get back once I'm done with it. :)

blahblah
17th December 2004, 12:14 PM
Oohm!I hope NOV doesn't work for the distributor of all Dan Brown books. :wink: :lol:

Roshan
17th December 2004, 12:21 PM
:lol: :lol: @ blah blah

Cygnus
18th December 2004, 01:41 AM
Roshan, great to hear that you've started DVC, I just finished Angels& Demons, it was even better!! I got to find time and write my thoughts about these books. I did not expect to get entangled in mystery fiction this much.
Happy reading!

NOV
21st December 2004, 04:55 PM
Blah Blah, how I wish.
I would probably be a millionnaire by now.

Roshan, looking forward to your opinion. But one word of caution: take every thing with a pinch of salt.

Cygnus, great to hear that you liked A&D. I felt that it had a better ending than DVC. Please share your thoughts about these two books.

I am now into my 2nd reading of DVC. :)

NOV
22nd December 2004, 03:59 PM
[tscii:6211f103d4]WARNING: If you have not read the Da Vinci Code, skip my entire posting, as the plot is somewhat revealed......

On the Da Vinci Trail

You’ve read the book, now it’s time to hit the road. Sonia Faleiro decodes the route

Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code, a breathtaking tale of religion, art and skulduggery, has captured the global literary imagination. And literary travellers are following in the footsteps of Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon and Catholic sect Opus Dei in their quest for the Holy Grail—scouring the novel’s key locales in Paris, New York, Edinburgh, London and Rome for cryptic symbols hidden in Leonardo da Vinci’s artwork, and in the chapels and historic sites mentioned in the novel. So without giving away any secrets, here is a suggested tour with corresponding highlights from the book.

PARIS

FICTION: In Chapter 1, Langdon is awakened at the Hotel Ritz by the midnight arrival of the judicial police who inform him that the curator of the Louvre museum, Jacques Saunière, whom Langdon had an appointment with, has been brutally murdered.

FACT: Since its inauguration in 1898 by César Ritz, the hotel has been synonymous with unabashed luxury and classic style. The Ritz Escoffier cooking school, the Hemingway Bar and the Athenian swimming pool have indulged Coco Chanel, the Prince of Wales and Elton John, all of whom have suites named after them.

FICTION: In his dying moments, Saunière adjusted his body in the shape of Leonardo da Vinci’s The Vitruvian Man at the Louvre’s Grand Gallery, and scribbled a cryptic message on and around himself. His intention was simple: The secret must not die.

FACT: Tourists linger for hours over the gallery’s Italian section of Da Vincis, Titans, Raphaels and Arcimboldos. Leonardo’s favourite painting, the Mona Lisa or La Joconde in French, hangs in the gallery, protected by barriers, surveillance cameras and guards. The 24-year-old wife of Florentine millionaire Francesco del Giocondo was supposedly captured in oils in 1503, but Langdon debates this date as well as the secret of her mysterious smile.

FICTION: A quest for the truth takes Opus Dei member, the albino monk-assassin Silas, to Saint-Sulpice, a 17th-century cathedral overseen by nun Sister Sandrine.

FACT: Known as the Rive Gauche, the cathedral was the christening ground of the Marquis de Sade and Charles Baudelaire, and writer Victor Hugo celebrated his nuptials under the two Delacroix frescoes of Jacob Wrestling with the Angel and Heliodorus Driven from the Temple. The Rose Line, a narrow brass strip that marks the original zero-longitude line, is used by Silas as a landmark in his unholy mission.

FICTION: Unable to open Saunière’s Cryptex, Langdon and Saunière’s granddaughter Sophie Nevew, head to the home of Grail researcher Leigh Teabing.

FACT: Architect Francois Mansart built the 17th-century Château Villette, near the Château de Versailles in 1668 for Louis XIV’s ambassador to Venice. Known as la Petite Versailles, the mansion is three storeys high and sixty metres long, with 18 rooms and 17 bathrooms. It overlooks a stunning garden and pond designed by the architect of the gardens at Versailles, André Le Nôtre. Not a tourist destination, the Château may be rented for 6,500 euros daily for a minimum of one week.

ROME

FICTION: Opus Dei’s Bishop Manuel Aringarosa is invited to a secret meeting with the Secretariat Vaticana at Castle Gandolfo, deep in the Alban Hills. He departs the gloomy castle with the price of freedom.

FACT: The Castle Gandolfo on Albano Lake outside Rome has been the Pope’s summer residence since the 17th century.

Built in 1626 by architect Carlo Maderno, the palace offers views of expansive greens, the Tyrrhenian Sea, the nearby Church of Saint Thomas of Villanova and the Pontiff’s Palace. Its Renaissance structure is an appropriate cocoon for the Vatican Observatory and Astronomy Library, the latter holding 25,000 rare works of Copernicus and Kepler, among others.

NEW YORK

FICTION: Described by Brown as an exceedingly conservative and wealthy organisation that demands chastity and corporeal mortification of its members, Opus Dei is a personal prelature founded in 1928 by St Josemaría Escrivá. It has 80,000 members, and its headquarters and prelatic church are in Rome.

FACT: Unmarked but remarkably conceived, its American centre is a 33,000-square-foot monolith on 243 Lexington Avenue. It was designed by the firm of Max & Pinska for more than $47 million and incorporates seven marbled chapels and sacristies, 100 bedrooms, six dining rooms, meeting halls and libraries. It has separate entrances for men and women on different streets.

SCOTLAND

FICTION: After breaking the second Cryptex Code, Langdon and Sophie Nevew proceed to the miner’s village of Roslin, outside Edinburgh where the novel culminates.

FACT: Built by the Knight’s Templar in 1446, the Rosslyn Chapel is as memorable for its quantity of stone carvings and religious symbols as for its mythical status as the dwelling place of the Holy Grail.

According to Brown, ‘‘ground-penetrating radar revealed the presence of an astonishing structure beneath the chapel—Not only did this deep vault dwarf the chapel atop it, but it appeared to have no entrance or exit. Archaeologists petitioned to begin blasting through the bedrock to reach the mysterious chamber, but the Rosslyn Trust expressly forbade any excavation of the sacred site.’’

And thus, the mystery continues.

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=48158[/tscii:6211f103d4]

a.ratchasi
27th December 2004, 01:56 PM
http://www.magdalene.org/holygrail.htm

soccer_gal
29th December 2004, 10:52 PM
The Da Vinci Code is going to be made into a movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxzZz0xfHR0PW9ufHBuPTB8cT0gIERhIFZpbm NpIENvZGUgfG14PTIwfGxtPTIwMHxodG1sPTE_;fc=1;ft=3;f m=1

aravindhan
31st December 2004, 04:52 PM
Ayyo, don't take what our friend Brown says in the Da Vinci Code to be facts.

FACT: Built by the Knight’s Templar in 1446, the Rosslyn Chapel is as memorable for its quantity of stone carvings and religious symbols as for its mythical status as the dwelling place of the Holy Grail.

That would have been quite a trick, given that the Templars were officially outlawed in 1312. But that's typical of the treatment of dates in the book. From the way he writes, you'd think the witch-hunts and the inquisition started right after Constantine's conversion to Christianity, rather than nearly a thousand years later.

As far as the Priory of Sion hypothesis is concerned, a French judge in 1993 held that the Priory of Sion was a hoax, and Mr. Pierre Plantard has since them been under a court-issued "cease and desist" order that requires him to refrain from doing anything related to the promotion of this hoax.

So whilst it's a well-paced thriller with an interesting (and different) plot, it should be treated strictly as a work of fiction.

NOV
16th January 2005, 10:00 AM
Let us give this thread a new lease of life by moving it to English Literature section.

divyan
27th January 2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, Da Vinci Code was really unputdownable (Hehehehe....). But Angels and Daemons did not arouse "that " feeling Da Vinci code cretaed. But it was good reading. I guess the difference being , Da Vinci code was more close to reality. Also not many readers are concerned about Vatican and Rome, but the lineage of Jesus was something very few people dare to touch.

blahblah
28th January 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi Guys ,the Da Vinci Code movie is supposed to be shot at a French Museum.Is it true?

Roshan
31st January 2005, 03:35 PM
NOV and Cygs,

Sorry for the late response guys ! I'll post a write up in a day or two on 'Da vinci code'. Was a fine experince reading it.

aravindhan
1st February 2005, 04:29 AM
Hi Guys ,the Da Vinci Code movie is supposed to be shot at a French Museum.Is it true?

At the Louvre, no less:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4196221.stm

a.ratchasi
1st February 2005, 06:03 AM
Couldnt put down the book during the first read.
Couldnt put it down during the second read either!

Thanks for the link, aravindhan.

Cygnus
1st February 2005, 08:26 AM
Roshan!

Great to hear from you!

I *highly* recommend Angels and Demons as well. It was in my opinion, at par, if not little better than DVC!
I bought the new illustrated version of DVC too :) Couldn't resist!

I just have one confusion though, remember the part where "Madonna of the rocks" and "Virgin of the rocks" are discussed ? I don't get exactly what Brown is attempting to say :?

Baby Jesus is still being blessed by Baby John the Baptist in the "watered-down" version too, contrary to Brown's ideas. Did I read it right or are my eyes bad??

Could anyone venture an explanation?

Roshan
1st February 2005, 03:59 PM
NOV,

A zillion thanks for introducing this fantastic Novel here in this hub. And a special thanks to Cygnus for tempting me to purchase it.

Even though I came across a few write ups about this controversial novel in some magazines including Kumudam, I never expected so much of facts in a fiction based story. More than two-third of the book is based on facts and the author has splendidly mixed the facts and imagination in such a way, that any one who reads - would think it's a real-life story.

Reading this novel had given me the opportunity of learning many new things - for which I had some interest already. Till now I've been surfing the net looking for more and more info on certain issues addressed by the author. To mention a few; Interpretations of Leonardo da Vinci's paintings such as The Monalisa, The Vitruvian Man, The Last Supper, Madonna of the Rocks and it's second version Virgin of the Rocks.

I have also been looking for details about the interpretations of symbols and anagrams, the secret society called Priory of Sion, the controversial Vatican prelature and a deeply devout catholic sect Opus Dei and it's dangerous practice called Corporal Mortification and some very crucial incidents that had occurred during the medeaval period - especially during the time of Constantine and many more interesting and surprising facts.

I specially enjoyed the chapters that involved conversation among Robert Langdon, Sophie Neveu and Leigh Teabing. And I'm repeating those chapters for the third time :D

Overall it was a GREAT read and now I'm tempted to purchase his Angels and Demons - which features Robert Langdon again. I simply loved that decent, intelligent, smart and level headed character :wink: :D

Roshan
1st February 2005, 04:13 PM
I just have one confusion though, remember the part where "Madonna of the rocks" and "Virgin of the rocks" are discussed ? I don't get exactly what Brown is attempting to say :?

Baby Jesus is still being blessed by Baby John the Baptist in the "watered-down" version too, contrary to Brown's ideas. Did I read it right or are my eyes bad??

Could anyone venture an explanation?

Yeah you are correct !! The blessing scene remains the same but when the author talks about the 'watered-down' version he doesn't mention the changes specifically. Instead says, that "every one was arranged in a more orthodox way".

Roshan
1st February 2005, 04:16 PM
Just check this link. It's interesting;

http://altreligion.about.com/library/bl_davinci.htm

Roshan
1st February 2005, 04:29 PM
[tscii:df6a299bf0]I found this question and answer about 'Da Vinci Code' in Kumudam's 'Arasu Bathilgal' (1.11.2004 issue).

Q : ¼¡ý ôÃ×É¢ý '¾¢ ¼Å¢ýº¢ §¸¡ð' ¿¡ÅÄ¢ø ±ø§Ä¡Õõ «ôÀÊô Ò¸Øõ «Ç×ìÌ ±ýÉ þÕ츢ÈÐ?

A: Á÷Á¿¡ÅÖìÌ Ò¾¢¾¡É ´Õ ¿¨¼. ¬úó¾ ¬Ã¡ö¢ø ¦¾Ã¢Ôõ ¯ñ¨Á¸¨Çô §À¡¸¢È §À¡ì¸¢ø «Äðº¢ÂÁ¡ö ¦¾Ç¢òÐî ¦ºøÖõ «ÄðÊ째¡ûÇ¡¾ Òò¾¢º¡Ä¢ò¾Éõ, ºÃ¢ò¾¢Ãò¾¢ý Å¢Çí¸¡¾ Ò¾¢÷¸¨Ç «ùÅô§À¡Ð ÍðÊ측ðÎõ ( Ó츢ÂÁ¡¸ ÌȢ£θ¨Ç) ¾¢È¨Á, «ò¡ÂòÐìÌ «ò¡Âõ ¾¢¨¸ì¸ ¨ÅìÌõ À¸£÷ ¾¢ÕôÀí¸û, ¼¡ý ôÃ×ý ºó§¾¸Á¢øÄ¡Áø ´Õ Å¢§º¼ ±Øò¾¡Ç÷¾¡ý (¾ÉìÌ ¯¾Å¢ ¦ºöÔõ Á¨ÉÅ¢¨Â 'Á¸¡ »¡É¢' ±ý¸¢È¡÷). «Îò¾ Òò¾¸ò¨¾Ôõ Å¡í¸¢Å¢ð§¼ý. ²ïºøŠ & ʦÁýŠ. ÀÊì¸ ¦¸¡ïºõ ÀÂÁ¡¸ þÕ츢ÈÐ. [/tscii:df6a299bf0]

Roshan
1st February 2005, 04:34 PM
[tscii:2a109da253]Again in the 22.11.2004 issue there's another question;

Q: ¼¡ý ôÃ×É¢ý «Îò¾ ¿¡Åø '²ïºøŠ & ʦÁýŠ' Å¡í¸¢É£÷¸§Ç; ÀÊòРŢðË÷¸Ç¡?

A : Ó¾ø ¿¡Åø ÀüȢ ºó§¾¸í¸§Ç þýÛõ Áɨ¾ì ̨¼óЦ¸¡ñÊÕ츢ýÈÉ ÍÅ¡Á¢.

±ÉìÌõ «§¾ ¿¢Ä¨Á¾¡ý :roll: :roll: [/tscii:2a109da253]

Roshan
9th February 2005, 02:51 PM
As per a.ratchasi's request ( through pm) i'm giving the Romanised Tamil version of 'Arasu Bathilgal' below;

1.11.2004 issue:

Q: Dan Brown-in 'The da Vinci Code' naavalil ellOrum pugazhum aLavukku appadi enna irukkiRathu?

A: marma naavalukku puthithaana oru nadai, aazhntha aarAichiyil theriyum uNmaigaLai pOgiRa pOkkil alatchiyamaai theLiththu chellum alattikkoLLaatha puththisaalithanam, sariththirathin viLangkaatha puthirkaLai avvappOthu suttikkaattum (mukkiyamaaga kuRiyeedugaLai) thiRamai, athyaayathukku athyaayam thigaikka vaikkum 'bageer' thiruppangaL, Dan Brown santhEgamillamal oru visEda ezhuthaaLarthaan( thanakku uthavi seyyum manaiviyai 'magaa gnaani' engiRaar). Aduththa puththagaththaiyum vaangi vittEn - Angels & Demons. padikka konjam bayaamaaga irukkiRathu.

Roshan
9th February 2005, 02:54 PM
22.11.2004 issue:

Q : Dan Brown-in aduththa naaval 'Angels & Demons' vaangineergaLE; padiththuvitteergaLaa?

A : muthal naaval patriya santhEgangaLE innum manathai kudainthu kOndirukkinRana swami.

RR
10th February 2005, 09:16 AM
Roshan,
You too an 'Arasu bhadhilgal' fan? :) We need a thread for that :D

Roshan
11th February 2005, 02:03 PM
Roshan,
You too an 'Arasu bhadhilgal' fan? :) We need a thread for that :D

Since my childhood the first thing I've been reading in Kumudam is 'Arasu BathilgaL' ! The knowledge, humour and wit of Arasu are incomparable.

Yeah! It's a good idea to open up a separate thread for 'Arasu BadhilgaL" :idea:

scorpio
11th February 2005, 02:22 PM
RR, Roshan,

Any idea who are the brains behind 'Arasu' bathilgal? I knew Sujatha was the 'Su' sometime before but not anymore, I guess.

Roshan
14th February 2005, 05:13 PM
scorpio,

No 'su' is not for Sujatha.. it is for some one else. Sujatha joined Kumudam team immediately after editor S.A.P's death and continued only for a year or so if i remember correct. Arasu bathilgal has been there right from the beginning I think.

'a' is for 'Annaamalai' (Editor S.A.P's name)

'ra' - is for "Rangarajan" (remember ra.kee. rangararajan?)

and 'su' I have forgotten :cry: and I would like to know it.

scorpio
18th February 2005, 01:40 PM
Nov,

Many thanks for introducing Dan Brown.

Not sure if it is the correct one to start, I just finished 'Angels and Demons'. Really excellent and was left awestruck at the details and research surrounding symbology.

Never expected the twist in the climax. Got me by surprise. Now, I am going to re-read the whole thing again to understand the plot from the villian's ( is he, really?) perspective better !

Did Dan get into any probs for his comments about Bush and Clinton, calling them being affiliated to Illuminati??

Great read, anyway!

vandanabalaji
21st February 2005, 03:32 AM
I read books by a British Vetenarian these were humorus accounts of his country practice, I have forgotten the name of the author and am unable to search for his books in the US.

If anybody knows of this author please give me his name.

Alchemist
2nd March 2005, 03:50 AM
Honestly,

I find writer Paulo Coelho much more inspiring.
He is a bestseller writer, too, and much more profound in his message than any other of the contemporary bestseller authors.

Of course, this needs to be discussed, and mybe some of you will not want to agree with me. It´s a personal taste but there are also facts that give me right.

So let me see, if I give a start to a threat asking "Are there any Paulo Coelho fans" here?!!!

:D

Best,
Alchemmist

Alchemist
2nd March 2005, 03:51 AM
Honestly,

I find writer Paulo Coelho much more inspiring.
He is a bestseller writer, too, and much more profound in his message than any other of the contemporary bestseller authors.

Of course, this needs to be discussed, and mybe some of you will not want to agree with me. It´s a personal taste but there are also facts that give me right.

So let me see, if I give a start to a threat asking "Are there any Paulo Coelho fans" here?!!!

:D

Best,
Alchemist

scorpio
3rd March 2005, 11:17 AM
Ahem! Putting the thread back on track,

I just finished 'The Da Vinci Code'. Wonderful and amazing. What a wealth of information and what a daring subject to write about!

Didn't expect the twist about the identity of the 'Teacher'. Hmm, I've to read it again from that perspective. Anyway, felt a bit disappointed at the end in not finding all about the secret Grail after such a long search.

Thanks NOV, Roshan and others for pushing me to read Dan Brown.

Badri
8th March 2005, 05:10 AM
Akka wrote:
Anyway, felt a bit disappointed at the end in not finding all about the secret Grail after such a long search.

Akka: That is the whole point about the Holy Grail...in fact, haven't you heard the usage, "It is his holy grail" meaning it his favourite quest...for centuries, the Holy Grail has come to symbolize a quest. If it is found, it will actually lose its relevance.

in fact, dictionary.com actually defines Grail as "The object of a prolonged endeavor."

Besides, there is no historical validity about the Holy Grail, which is why every book ever written on it, or every movie produced on it has references to the Grail without pinpointing details. Or, even if it is depicted as being found, either it is lost, or somehow forgotten...classic example being Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

And, perhaps you haven't got the entire significance of the book. Towards the end, Brown actually hints to the possibility of Mary Magdalene being the grail...it is not an object, but it is Mary herself, as the chalice of the seed! And in that sense, if the so called "descendants" are traced, then it is tantamount to finding the Grail.

Alchemist
8th March 2005, 09:35 AM
Dear sbadri,

thank you very much for sharing your insights about the interpretation of the grail being actually the holy mother Mary!

It makes sense.
Let me nevertheless insist in the fact that there are existing several "grails" - as objects -, for example one in the Cathedral of Valencia, in Spain, that are considered to be possibly the historic grail.

It was made of one precious stone that served as a cup.

Badri
8th March 2005, 09:38 AM
Alchemist, you said:

thank you very much for sharing your insights about the interpretation of the grail being actually the holy mother Mary!

It is not the Holy Mother Mary, who is the mother of Christ that Brown talks about in his boo. It is the Lady of Magda, Mary Magdalene...

Roshan
8th March 2005, 10:02 AM
Towards the end, Brown actually hints to the possibility of Mary Magdalene being the grail...it is not an object, but it is Mary herself, as the chalice of the seed! And in that sense, if the so called "descendants" are traced, then it is tantamount to finding the Grail.

Correct !!!

NOV, Cygnus, Badri and others,

I have not got Angels and Demons as yet. I've checked with a couple of book shops but the whole lot have been sold off there and I have to wait for the next shipping. I've made a booking at the shop I usually purcahse. The Manager says that the turnover rate has increased for Dan Browns books after the release of 'The Da Vinci Code' . But they had a couple of copies of "Digital Fortres". Just want to know your opinion about this book before purchasing. Please let me know if you had read it already.

Badri
8th March 2005, 10:08 AM
I have read Digital Fortress, though not A & D yet. DF is good read. I wouldn't say it has all the romance of DV Code, but I would still recommend DF, especially, if things like Computer Security and Super Computers interest you.

Think of a thriller with all this thrown in...if you like that sort of a thing, dig in...

What says the Council of Elders on this matter?

Roshan
8th March 2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks Badri. I would go for it.

BTW, what do you mean by romance in DV?

Badri
8th March 2005, 10:16 AM
We are so used to applying only one meaning to the word romance. We always think it is just the love interest. But when discussing literature, the word romance means a mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful.

In English Literature, it generally refers to a long medieval narrative in prose or verse that tells of the adventures and heroic exploits of chivalric heroes, as in an Arthurian romance or a long fictitious tale of heroes and extraordinary or mysterious events, usually set in a distant time or place.

Due to these associations, romantic literature is now the class of literature constituted by such tales, as above.

Ok...did I sound a tad too pedantic? If so, sorry!!!

Roshan
8th March 2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks Badri. I certainly knew that there was something more to it when you said romance. I just wanted to know it in detail. Thanks for the fine explanation !! :D

Cygnus
9th March 2005, 12:20 AM
Badri, well since you have pontificated pedantically and pompously on 'romance', I would withhold what I had wanted to say :tongueout: :wink:

Roshan:

Well, DF in my opinion was a run of the mill mystery infused with a generous dose of modern cryptology, 'Enemy of the state'-style NSA-phobia and hi tech conspiracies reaffirming the ever-growing skepticism against protective mechanisms that turn around and invade the privacy of the unwitting public.

It had its moments of thrill, I have to admit but then the climax was a BIG yawner...since Brown draws out a very simple deciphering that anyone could easily do, so long and so drily....

2 out of 4 stars!

Badri
9th March 2005, 03:57 AM
Badri, well since you have pontificated pedantically and pompously on 'romance'

Ahem, ahem..don't rub it in pa...

Well, you are right about the yawning climax...but I still think the build up to the climax was kind of good...there is a certain quality to Brown's writing which alone can hold your interest for a while, notwithstanding how the story goes...

Roshan
9th March 2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Cygnus !! Well... I feel like going for it , but not decided yet :) After reading your views on Angels & Demons, I prefer reading it next. But have to wait for one or two weeks.

Badri
16th March 2005, 10:34 AM
Here's a news flash that is sure to tickle Dan Brown!!!

Vatican takes on Da Vinci Code

Furious over the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, the bestseller which is now being made into a movie starring Tom Hanks, the Vatican has asked a senior cardinal to debunk the novel, which it believes was deliberately written to discredit the Catholic Church through "absurd and vulgar lies". ...Bertone, the Archbishop of Genoa, Italy, is among those seen as a likely successor to the ailing Pope John Paul II.

Bertone will initiate a series of public debates in Genoa to attack the book and its conspiracy theories, which he believes are eroding the Catholic faith...."He even perverts the story of the Holy Grail, which most certainly does not refer to the descendants of Mary Magadalene," fumes Cardinal Bertone. "It astonishes and worries me that so many people believe these lies."

The Vatican's move will only give greater publicity to Brown's book, and more and more people will buy and read it, just to learn what the fuss is all about. Dan Brown, I hope, will give thanks, as he watches his bank balance grow!! :lol:

scorpio
16th March 2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I too read about the protest against 'The Da Vinci Code' and I agree with Badri that it will only help the book to sell more. As far as the movie producers are concerned, it is a boon giving unsolicited publicity. Can remember, the more Harry Potter books were accused of promoting witchcraft, the more people wanted to read it.

Finished 'Deception Point', not so great, can recommend for a one-time read. Started 'Digital Fortress'.

scorpio
22nd March 2005, 06:04 PM
ahem!

Digital fortress done! Very interesting read. I was a bit disappointed with Deception Point but Digital fortress kept me gripped throughout. No Langdon again, no symbology but it is about computers and code-breaking. Good work!

Now that I've finished all 4 of Dan Brown, this is my ranking-
1. Angels and demons
2. Digital Fortress
3. The Da Vinci Code
4. Deception Point

Roshan
24th March 2005, 12:10 PM
Guys,

I got Angels and Demons and Deception Point yesterday ! Digital Fortress was sold out. Started with A&D. They had the special illustrated collector's edition of Da Vinci Code as well. Book soooper -A irukku ! Nicely designed and printed with coloured pictures of Da Vinci's paintings and comparative works of other artists - pictures of buildings and locations, diagroms etc.. Well illustrated !! With great difficulty I controlled my temptation to purchase it yesterday. But I dont think I can resist. Very soon I'm going to get the book. Really worth buying it !

Cygnus
24th March 2005, 02:38 PM
Roshan, I am sure you'll enjoy Angels and Demons! I have the illustrated version of DVC and it is great! :D

Roshan
24th March 2005, 02:44 PM
Roshan, I am sure you'll enjoy Angels and Demons! I have the illustrated version of DVC and it is great! :D

Hey Cygs !! are you around !! Wow you've got the illustrated version?? That's great !! I should get one myself. I had a quick glance at it yesterday. sooper-A irunthuchu ! :D

Crab
4th April 2005, 04:30 AM
The Da Vinci Code is now entering into 120th week on top of the transatlantic charts and has already seen three Christmases, two wars and one papal death!

Source - http://books.guardian.co.uk/bestsellers/alltitles/0,5917,,00.html

8)

Roshan
5th April 2005, 10:20 AM
Cygnus , scorpio and others,

Sorry for the late response. I have finished reading Angels and Demons and repeated the chapters involved the Camerlengo.

Another racy fiction by Dan Brown with plethora of historical info. This time it is around Rome , Vatican, the secret society Illuminati and the works of Bernini. The author has touched Religion and Science as the core theme. I had a hard time putting the book down coz, the plot is so suspenseful with so many twists, turns and cliff hangers.

Dan Brown has this marvelous ability of weaving the facts and imagination in such a way - that makes us feel the strory real. The details about the Vatican's procedures and rituals were quite informative. But the descriptions about other locations, religious places and sculptures in Rome, did not interest me much.

Though I like the character Robert Langdon - I should admit that the character was not as impressive as in the Da Vinci Code. :)

All the characters have depth including the Hassassin.

And a big WOW !!! for the ending !! Was really a great one !!

I dont want to make a comparison between the DVC and A&D as both novels deal with two different subjects - and the credit should go to the author for not sticking to imagination entirely , but for mixing the facts of Art, History, Religion and Science - and giving us such racy, exciting and action filled novels.

Great job by Brown once again !!

My next read is going to be "Deception Point" .

I'd probably be reading it during the Tamil new year holidays that's falling shortly. :D

Cygnus
5th April 2005, 10:29 AM
Great analysis Roshan!

Especially right now, I am tempted to read it (A&D) again, particularly the parts where 'conclave' is described. I certainly learnt a lot about Christianity, more than what I had learnt in the heavily evangelical schools I went to :)

For me the discussion of religion vs (?!) science was certainly more interesting than the lineage of JC :) But for sure DVC was more thrilling in the description than A&D!

a.ratchasi
5th April 2005, 10:42 AM
Though the anticipation is great, I will be starting A&D with no high expectations!I shall see then what awaits me! :)

Btw, I had to given in to Sheldon's Bloodline, after PB!! :wink:

Roshan
5th April 2005, 10:52 AM
I certainly learnt a lot about Christianity

Me too !! Specially about the Catholic sect and the Vatican !

For me the discussion of religion vs (?!) science was certainly more interesting than the lineage of JC :)

Yes !! Specially that long speach of the Camerlengo to the media !!! It's brilliantly worded !!

But for sure DVC was more thrilling in the description than A&D!

Exactly !!!

Roshan
5th April 2005, 10:55 AM
Though the anticipation is great, I will be starting A&D with no high expectations!I shall see then what awaits me! :)

Happy reading a.r. ! We look forward to seeing your comments !!

a.ratchasi
12th April 2005, 09:22 AM
First and foremost, the similarity of the events in the beginning was a complete turn-off as I realised DVC had an almost identical start.

As events unfolded further, Brown has interwoven the storyline with many intriguing twists with ease :thumbsup: . The story simply shot-off by its own. The inside peek at the Vatican was knowledgeable indeed.

Unlike DVC, I had a hard time figuring out the perpetrator. Nothing was certain till almost the very end. Dan Brown did a good job with the other characters I would say! Though Vittoria and Langdon lacked the depth needed for lead characters. Perhaps, Brown compensated for this in DVC. :wink:

My verdict: A&D is an interesting read. Though, I still prefer DVC anytime!

Roshan
20th April 2005, 04:32 PM
Friends,

Finished with "Deception Point" . This time the plot is around the White House, NASA discovery and US Presidential Elections. Good theme but the story lacks depth. Here again till the last moment I was unable to guess who the villain is but unlike in DVC and A&D the reason behind the perpetrator's motive was not clear and convincing.

There's no Robert Langdon but the lead characters Micheal Tolland and Rachel Sexton were handled smartly. But I enjoyed Scientist - Corky Marlinson character more.

The initial chapteres were kind of boring and the last few chapters in the ship was like watching an action/masala movie. The Sedgewick Sexton -Presidential candidate character doesnt sound realistic and his final press conference was basically a comedy.

But again there were some very good information about White House, NASA technologies , meteorites, fossils, chondrules , oceans etc.

Overall it is below the standards of DVC and A&D - yet readable.

Roshan
20th April 2005, 04:35 PM
a.r,

Regarding A&D, I have to agree with all what you have said. :)

NM
26th April 2005, 09:47 AM
This thread has certainly influenced me to buy DVC - bought it when I was on a holiday and my friend happens to be a die-hard fan of Dan Brown, too!

jaiganes
26th April 2005, 11:31 AM
Just finished reading Deception Point and feel the same as Roshan. Not enough punch in the end. It was like a boxing match where in the last round both the fighters were tired. This sadly is the case with all Dan Brown Novels (haven't read digital fortress). Even the Da Vinci Code, I found to be an anticlimax after a lot of blood shedding. He has to work on the climax of his novels a lot better.

rajasaranam
28th April 2005, 09:33 PM
Read A&D aswelas DVC. sure they are gripping books from start till end. But for a person like me who was introduced to postmodern literature some 7 years back and have read most of latin american writers short stories and novels i could only conclude that DAN has borrowed most of the ideas from these people and churned out a mystery which has taken the world.
Well DVC resembled mostly the novel 'Foucaults Pendulum' by 'Umberto Eco' [ the writer whose book 'The Name of the Rose' is still adored by many in literary cirlces] with all that 'Holy Grail' - 'Templars'- Rosicrucians' interwoven to suit for a easy to digestable form, DVC has succedeed in place of 'Foucault's.

links for Umberto's works
http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_biography.html
http://www.levity.com/corduroy/eco.htm
And Dan brown never seems to wake up from his 'Christian' authority. His climaxes asks us to sit simply learning all the facts, while the truth will be buried deep underground. he has to come out of his "Christian' Psyche and give us a better novel next time.

Roshan
3rd May 2005, 01:41 PM
His climaxes asks us to sit simply learning all the facts, while the truth will be buried deep underground. he has to come out of his "Christian' Psyche and give us a better novel next time.

Though "Deception Point" had nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion I have to agree with rajasaranam that the story was almost something like learning the facts and buring the truths.

rajraj
5th May 2005, 11:48 AM
Roshan and Badri,
American dream for NRIs in US includes:

Sending their child'children to Harvard, Yale,MIT,Stanford or any other leading university and go for medicine.
Owning a BMW,Jaguar or Mercedes Benz :)

NM
5th May 2005, 11:51 AM
Rajraj......neenge wrong-aane thread-le bathil koduthiirukkeenge!!
PP'kum MISC'kum angeyum ingeyum paarthu paarthu, confused-a ayitteengelaa??

rajraj
5th May 2005, 11:53 AM
NM,
Sorry about that! It is another thread!

solomon
16th September 2005, 11:33 AM
Friends,

Approach or Brown, is certainly has lead many Christians to check the Bible. But New Testament Gospels Authors themselves are not really aware of WHO Jesus was.

Matthew says- Mary was wife of Bethlehem Lived Jacob's Son Joseph, and this Joseph was 40th Generation from Abraham. As per LUKE- MARY was Wife of NAzareth Lived Heli's Son JOSEPH, and this JOseph was 56th Generation from Abraham.

Now when Gospel Authors have cooked up Jesus's PARENTS list, Brown assumes Jesus as Royal blood of David and Mary MAGdalene on other royal.

As a Novel was INTeresting- when Gospels are not Historic- then how BROWN can be taken.

MosesMohammedSolomon

Badri
16th September 2005, 11:40 AM
Solomon, what are you trying say? If you want to discuss the novel, then we can discuss the literary merits of his work, as well as his perspective as an author.

If you want to discuss anything else, neither this thread nor even the Hub is a right place to do so! The Hub rules clearly state that there is no place for any religion oriented discussion here, especially ones that can very well lend themselves to controversy, as your post suggests.

nirosha sen
17th September 2005, 09:58 AM
Badri - I beg to differ, Pa!! The fact that the book was written enough to taunt the Catholic Church into response, shows there's more to it than meets the eye.

Beyond the intrigues of the plot itself, I would suggest you cut some slack here, if one is able to substantiate the contents of the book, by holding it up to scrutiny, against what the Bible doth sayeth!

As long as nobody goes overboard, why don't we have a cool, calm, detached manner of discussion on the subject?????? :o

abbydoss1969
18th September 2005, 07:51 PM
Badri - I beg to differ, Pa!! The fact that the book was written enough to taunt the Catholic Church into response, shows there's more to it than meets the eye.

Beyond the intrigues of the plot itself, I would suggest you cut some slack here, if one is able to substantiate the contents of the book, by holding it up to scrutiny, against what the Bible doth sayeth!

As long as nobody goes overboard, why don't we have a cool, calm, detached manner of discussion on the subject?????? :o
Dan Brown's simple: He takes a holy cow -- NASA , Catholic church --- and do something to scandalize them, it ensurs a lot of controversy, reader interest etc by whipping up conspiracy theories.
As long as it is interesting timepass, who cares?

solomon
19th September 2005, 11:09 AM
Friends,

I FULLY agree, with you that Dale Brown uses popular institutions such as RC Vatican Church, NSA, etc.,

But all 4 has very good research and well writen.

But Davinci Code, is the most popular- mainly because it uses the most controversial fig. whose History is not available- Jesus from Galilee.

Friends- When non-Christians see it as Novel, but Church intially took it as a enemy, later took the mistakes Brown made and made it to its positive use.

I feel his latests- Deception Point and Digital Fortress are more better.

Solomon

Badri
19th September 2005, 11:33 AM
Solomon: The author's name is Dan Brown, not Dale Brown, unless unknown to everyone, he changed his name!!!

abbydoss1969
19th September 2005, 06:58 PM
And all his hero/heroines are claustrophobic; In, Deception Point the heroine is caught in submarine underwater and how does she escape, by kicking with her legs and breaking the doors.
The same scene occurs in A&D, where Robert Langdon is trapped in the library and he escapes by kicking his legs.
But I liked the divine feminine concept, that old religions had worshipped the feminine, and church had made in into a patriachal thing. :idea:

solomon
22nd September 2005, 12:38 PM
Friends,

I Am sorry for wrong spelling.

Every Novel is with Good Surprises, but as abbydoss showed, His Hero survives impossible, but that's Theatric techinic.

But Brown is SO POPULAR For Writing DAVINCI CODE with Jesus as Back Ground- but Church has been Exposing its weakness.
Solomon

abbydoss1969
22nd September 2005, 07:23 PM
Solomon: The author's name is Dan Brown, not Dale Brown, unless unknown to everyone, he changed his name!!!
Actually, there is another author called "Dale Brown" :wink:

Badri
23rd September 2005, 05:27 AM
Actually, there is another author called "Dale Brown" :wink:

I know!! :wink:

Which is why I wanted to stress the name!! :wink:

Sinthiya
17th October 2005, 11:38 PM
I've read Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons...I'm reading Digital Fortress...

They are all interesting and easy read...controversial as well...

Angels & Demons was more interesting for me...

I'm looking forward to watching Da Vinci Code movie with Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon...will be interesting...

:)

stranger
26th October 2005, 03:20 AM
I liked digital fortress but the other novels, well, I dont know. May be I am not a Dan Brown fan for some "unknown reason"!

Well, he talks science. It is difficult to take it as a time-pass novel, when you talk science extensively! Well...Sorry to disappoint you guys with a -ve remark! :notworthy:

abbydoss1969
26th October 2005, 07:07 PM
I liked digital fortress but the other novels, well, I dont know. May be I am not a Dan Brown fan for some "unknown reason"!

Well, he talks science. It is difficult to take it as a time-pass novel, when you talk science extensively! Well...Sorry to disappoint you guys with a -ve remark! :notworthy:
Then you want to take Dan Brown seriously, what?
In English , every author has to have a unique brand name, otherwise they cannot make a name for themselves:Like when your hear Arthur Hailey, you know his stories are going to be about hotels and airports etc.
Robert Ludlum; about international spy / conspiracy thrillers.
Thomas Harris: about serial killers etc

And when you think of DB, you think of religious conspiracies with medieval art with a cliched thriller plot,
Thats all there is to DB.

stranger
26th October 2005, 10:11 PM
And when you think of DB, you think of religious conspiracies with medieval art with a cliched thriller plot,

And

* mass # of uranium isotopes

* function of Luciferin in insects

* electron microscope analysis of meteorite

* nickel and zirconium composition of meteorites

* fossils and c-dating

Critical and careful analysis of such ALSO fall in the category of *religious conspiracies with medivel art* too?! :roll:

Roshan
27th October 2005, 09:24 PM

Stranger,
Thanks for the comments. My next read is going to be "Digitat Fortress" . I have read his other three and I liked DVC and A&D for the enomours volume of information about religion and art. Deception Point did not impress me mcuh. It was like an action movie. Overall DVC remains my most favourite so far. Let me see how DF goes.

abbydoss1969
28th October 2005, 06:59 PM

And

* mass # of uranium isotopes

* function of Luciferin in insects

* electron microscope analysis of meteorite

* nickel and zirconium composition of meteorites

* fossils and c-dating

Critical and careful analysis of such ALSO fall in the category of *religious conspiracies with medivel art* too?! :roll:

You see, DB, has been perfecting his storytelling from the first novel from, Deception point, to Digital Fortresss to A*D to Davinci code.You can see the gradual amaterish attempt of the first novel to reaching his best form with Davinci code.

As to your meteorite analysis, it all falls under the category the conspiracy theory of NASA, :wink:

stranger
29th October 2005, 05:03 AM
yeah, u r correct, doss! :)

stranger
31st October 2005, 07:44 PM
You see, DB, has been perfecting his storytelling from the first novel from, Deception point, to Digital Fortresss to A*D to Davinci code. You can see the gradual amaterish attempt of the first novel to reaching his best form with Davinci code.

well,

1. Digital Fortress (1998)

2. Angels and Demon (2000)

3. Deception Point (2001)

4. The Da Vinci Code (2003)

That is the correct order, I believe. Is he perfecting from 1 to 4?

May be! :)

But he made me wonder What is the *anti-matter* with this English teacher, when he was talking about matter + antimatter => Two Photons :wink:

Of course this is fictious science where water can be written as H2O2 and not H2O :).

He can also insist his thoughts through his characters such as "bimbos" like Vittoria Vetra that

* Science tells me God must exist

* My mind tells me I cant understand God

* My heart tells me I am not meant to

and

* I never bought the idea of science-as-god lecture

* Science created half of the problems it is trying to solve

* progress is taking mother-earth to malignancy

and any BS he wants to tell in the NAME of FICTION.

I cant argue about it. can I? Because it is fiction .

However, it is *hard to buy his goddish scientific bs and carry on with it* at least for some people. :roll:

abbydoss1969
1st November 2005, 07:52 PM
[tscii:dc57cd6395]

You see, DB, has been perfecting his storytelling from the first novel from, Deception point, to Digital Fortresss to A*D to Davinci code. You can see the gradual amaterish attempt of the first novel to reaching his best form with Davinci code.

well,

1. Digital Fortress (1998)

2. Angels and Demon (2000)

3. Deception Point (2001)

4. The Da Vinci Code (2003)

That is the correct order, I believe. Is he perfecting from 1 to 4?

May be! :)

But he made me wonder What is the *anti-matter* with this English teacher, when he was talking about matter + antimatter => Two Photons :wink:

Of course this is fictious science where water can be written as H2O2 and not H2O :).

He can also insist his thoughts through his characters such as "bimbos" like Vittoria Vetra that

* Science tells me God must exist

* My mind tells me I cant understand God

* My heart tells me I am not meant to

and

* I never bought the idea of science-as-god lecture

* Science created half of the problems it is trying to solve

* progress is taking mother-earth to malignancy

and any BS he wants to tell in the NAME of FICTION.

I cant argue about it. can I? Because it is fiction .

However, it is *hard to buy his goddish scientific bs and carry on with it* at least for some people. :roll:

Stranger,
I think your order is wrong ; my order of books is right.
I have taken the following from his web site;

Dan is a graduate of Amherst College and Phillips Exeter Academy, where he spent time as an English teacher before turning his efforts fully to writing. In 1996, his interest in code-breaking and covert government agencies led him to write his first novel, Digital Fortress, which quickly became a #1 national bestselling eBook. Set within the clandestine National Security Agency, the novel explores the fine line between civilian privacy and national security. Brown’s follow-up techno-thriller, Deception Point, centered on similar issues of morality in politics, national security, and classified technology.

The son of a Presidential Award winning math professor and of a professional sacred musician, Dan grew up surrounded by the paradoxical philosophies of science and religion. These complementary perspectives served as inspiration for his acclaimed novel Angels & Demons—a science vs. religion thriller set within a Swiss physics lab and Vatican City. Recently, he has begun work on a series of symbology thrillers featuring his popular protagonist Robert Langdon, a Harvard professor of iconography and religious art. The upcoming series will include books set in Paris, London, and Washington D.C.

[/tscii:dc57cd6395]

abbydoss1969
1st November 2005, 08:07 PM
[tscii:f6451c4626]DB, is working on a sequel to DAvinci code, is it a good thing or bad?

Note: Answers to frequently asked questions about "The Da Vinci Code" can be found by clicking here.

What are your 10 favorite books —and why?
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) —Simple, suspenseful, and poignant. Better yet, the first paragraph of every chapter is a master class in writing effective description.
Gödel, Escher, Bach (Douglas Hofstadter) —The 3% I actually understood was fascinating.
Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer) —I was amazed how well Archer handled the long time spans without ever losing the narrative pulse. The ultimate novel of sibling rivalry.
Plum Island (Nelson DeMille) —He remains the master of substance, wry humor, and controlled point of view.
The Bourne Identity Series (Ludlum) —Ludlum's early books are complex, smart, and yet still move at a lightning pace. This series got me interested in the genre of big-concept, international thrillers.
Much Ado About Nothing (William Shakespeare) —I didn't understand how funny this play truly was until I became an English teacher and had to teach it. There is no wittier dialogue anywhere.
Wordplay: Ambigrams and Reflections on the Art of Ambigrams (John Langdon) —Artist and philosopher John Langdon is one of our true geniuses. His book changed the way I think about symmetry, symbols, and art.
Codes Ciphers & Other Cryptic & Clandestine Communication (Fred Wrixon) —A phenomenal encyclopedia of the art, science, history, and philosophy of cryptology.
The Puzzle Palace (James Bamford) —Although dated, this book is still one of the most captivating inside looks at the covert world of America's premier intelligence agency.
The Elements of Style (Strunk and White) —Because who can possibly remember all the rules of grammar and punctuation?

Favorite films?
My all-time favorites would have to be Fantasia, Life is Beautiful, Annie Hall, and Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. Of course, if you're looking for pure popcorn entertainment, you can't beat Indiana Jones or the Pink Panther series.

Favorite music?
I've recently become hooked on the Spanish singer Franco de Vita. I also listen to The Gipsy Kings, Sarah Mclachlan, and Deva Premal.

If you had a book club, what would it be reading — and why?
The Golden Ratio: The Story Of Phi, The World's Most Astonishing Number (Mario Livio) — Admittedly, to imply that a book club could get excited talking about a "number" probably sounds far-fetched, but this book ties together themes of art history, nature, mathematics, philosophy, and religion in an accessible and eye-opening way. Sure to spark great discussions.

What are your favorite books to give — and get — as gifts?
This will sound nerdish, but the all-time best "gift book" has to be a leather-bound copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. How can you go wrong? Of course, don't forget a magnifying glass to go with it.

Who are your favorite writers, and what makes their writing special?
John Steinbeck for his descriptions…Robert Ludlum for his plotting…and Shakespeare for his wordplay.

What are you working on now?
Currently I'm writing another Robert Langdon thriller-the sequel to The Da Vinci Code. For the first time, Langdon will find himself embroiled in a mystery on U.S. soil. This new novel explores the hidden history of our nation's capital.

How Do you weave so much information into your stories and yet keep them so fast-paced?
Writing an informative yet compact thriller is a lot like making maple sugar candy. You have to tap hundreds of trees…boil vats and vats of raw sap…evaporate the water…and keep boiling until you've distilled a tiny nugget that encapsulates the essence. Of course, this requires liberal use of the DELETE key. In many ways, editing yourself is the most important part of being a novelist…carving away superfluous text until your story stands crystal clear before your reader. For every page in a published novel, I wrote ten that ended up in the trash.

Give us three "Good to Know" facts about you. Be creative. Tell us about your first job, the inspiration for your writing, any fun details that would enliven your page.
If I'm not at my desk by 4:00 A.M., I feel like I'm missing my most productive hours. In addition to starting early, I keep an antique hour glass on my desk and every hour break briefly to do pushups, sit-ups, and some quick stretches. I find this helps keep the blood (and ideas) flowing. I'm also a big fan of gravity boots. Hanging upside down seems to help me solve plot challenges by shifting my entire perspective.

When is your next novel coming out?
Because my novels are so research-intensive, they take a couple of years to write. My next novel will be another Robert Langdon adventure (picking up, in fact, where The Da Vinci Code left off). Currently, there is no release date scheduled because the book is not yet near completion.

What else do you want your readers to know? Consider here your likes and dislikes, your interests and hobbies, your favorite ways to unwind — whatever comes to mind.
I've recently become fanatical about tennis (and play every afternoon when I finish writing). If anyone out here has any tips on hitting a consistent top-spin backhand, please fax them to Doubleday.

From author FAQ in his web site;[/tscii:f6451c4626]

stranger
1st November 2005, 08:41 PM
I dont know, doss, I checked the copies of original books (all the four books) and found that "copy right" of years were given as I stated in my post. I just simply have given that here. My "order" is based on the "copy rights" in the hard-cover books he published and not based on any web sites.

I really care less about it, anyway. :) I apologize if I was wrong in giving the order! :)

Roshan
8th November 2005, 10:34 AM
I am done with "Digital Fortress". The story did not impress me that much though again he had dealt with some kind of controversial and interesting issue like Civilian privacy Vs National Security. There was hardly any twists or turns and right from the beginning any one can guess as to who the antagonist is. It was highly disappointing to learn that such a long search for the "ring" resulted in nothing at the end. Unlike in his other three stories none of the characters created an impact.

The only un expected and touching thing was the "Epilogue".

Now, having read all four of Dan, this is my rating;

1. The Da Vince Code
2. Angels and Demons
3. Deception Point
4. Digital Fortress

Badri
8th November 2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Roshan,

I'd say you've done an accurate rating. I agree with it myself.

Digital Fortress was his first novel, and perhaps that is why it is not as gripping and riveting as the rest. It is nice to note how he has grown as an author though!

ssanjinika
8th November 2005, 07:15 PM
I found Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons have some similarities. I loved deception point and found Digitial fortress a good read even though I kind of expected the ending it had.

j.chenkalvarayan
8th November 2005, 07:26 PM
da vinci code had a very bland ending. but heard all his ridiculous theories were rejected forthright by experts in art and religious studies. is it true?

Sinthiya
9th November 2005, 10:06 AM
I found Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons have some similarities. I loved deception point and found Digitial fortress a good read even though I kind of expected the ending it had.

yeah...i noticed Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons had some similarities...I like A&D better though I loved reading the art description and works of Da Vinci in the novel...very interesting to me...

I'm reading Digital Fortress...next is Deception Point...

Sinthiya
9th November 2005, 10:11 AM
da vinci code had a very bland ending. but heard all his ridiculous theories were rejected forthright by experts in art and religious studies. is it true?

most of the experts in art and religious studies have rejected these theories...there are some odd ones who will accept...even in Paris, where the movie for this book is being shot, there are some controveries within the churches...

but in the end, I think it's upto the readers to take a view based on their values and beliefs...for me, it's an interesting art novel...i admire Da Vinci paintings...he's an intelligent, riveting artist...

stranger
11th November 2005, 06:04 AM
most of the experts in art and religious studies have rejected these theories

Of course, one should be careful when you are reading a Dan Brown's fiction. One should always remember Science or religion or arts discussed in these books carry little values and the reality is way off. Sadly, one will be misguided if he/she tries to learn too much of anything but English from these fictions! 8-)

Azhahan
11th December 2005, 05:27 PM
A remark to da vinci code!

The Grand father is 67 years old Sophie is 32. Did anyone of you realize this?

buddysathi
14th December 2005, 05:08 PM
Always in the first chapter of all the 4 novels, one person is killed. I think that is Dan Brown's style of writing.

pavalamani pragasam
19th December 2005, 09:27 PM
My curiosity kindled by all the ravings about DB I decided to give a trial to reading him. As my first choice have just started reading "The Da Vinci Code". It IS gripping! And packed with interesting information!

pavalamani pragasam
21st December 2005, 08:49 AM
Well, finished reading it! Quite a novel experience! A whole novel within a short period covering centuries & centuries of beliefs and practices! A different theme dealing with different periods & continuing & changing trends inleadership eras etc just like the ancient cultures of the world expounded in the novel. the religious lives of people. Stirs thoughts about our own land's rich religions & the interwoven symbols which we never seem to give deep consideration about! Including even the gold trinkets we adorn around the loin of our babies, distinctly different ones for the boy child & girl child! Our cultures abound with symbols of Nature, human anatomy, matriarchal leadership eras expounded in the novel.

schnappi
25th December 2005, 11:35 PM
Well, finished reading it! Quite a novel experience! A whole novel within a short period covering centuries & centuries of beliefs and practices! Also a hindu belief or practice?

I am quite sure you also read that part about the grandfather and grandmother when the latter riding on the grandfather?

This is a practice that men love very much, of course from my point of view.

For me this book was like a good designed adventure game starting like a tourist guide of Paris. But for a mathematician or somebody from the IT-field it must me boring. As I saw the numbers, for me it was clear as cristal water that it is Fibonacci. And at the end when they were in front of Newton I knew that it is apple.

The only thing I was interested in was the interpretaion of Last supper. That was great.
My first irritation started when it was said that the grandpa was 57 and Sophie is 32 :!: Could it be that the grandpa is Sophie's father?

pavalamani pragasam
26th December 2005, 09:13 AM
The age factor didn't register in my mind! The puzzle solving was interesting. Yes the descriptions of Paris museum & Westminster Abbey gave the impression of visiting the places in reality!

Yesterday finished reading Robin Cook's "Marker". He aptly points out the possible abuse ofthe latest genome decoding discovery. He makes one to shudder!

a.ratchasi
27th December 2005, 06:26 AM
Yesterday finished reading Robin Cook's "Marker". He aptly points out the possible abuse ofthe latest genome decoding discovery. He makes one to shudder!

PP maam, Robin Cook's Mutation made me shudder too!!

pavalamani pragasam
27th December 2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, Cook's books gives one so much fear about callous practices in big hospitals that most of us begin to view any genuine action in a big hospital with suspicion! My daughter & I had strong hopes of her delivering her 1st baby in the normal way and the doctor of that posh hospital with American backing had her admitted well before 2 weeks before due date for observation of her slightly swollen foot & began surreptiously making preparations for Caesarian section(that's what we truly suspected!) we adamantly got her discharged on the false pretext of her mom-in-law objecting to the inauspicious day! Later in another hospital where my doctor neice worked my daughter delivered by Caesarian!( loss of amniotic fluid the cited reason!). Her next delivery was in a different town in a different hospital facility, again Caersarian because the doctor didn't want to take risk after her previous surgery when her membrane ruptured prematurely.

Our main obsession is kidney theft! Thanksto movies, books & newspapers!

In India normal delivery like in our days is becoming a rarity, except in government hospitals, as my doctor sister points out! Loss of amniotic fluid & uterine inertia are some of the reasons given. But surprisingly my neices who delivered in US had normal delivery. Again it is because the hospitals there are fully equipped & very advanced technologically that, my doctor sister explained after watching her daughter's delivery there, that they dont hesitate to take risks! To be more clear, on being disappointed with all caesarian deliveries in my family for my daughter & daughters-in-law, when it suited for me & my sister to observe my 2nd daughter-in-law's delivery I was hoping for normal delivery since the labour started on due time & she had been under extra care because of gestational diabetics. With poor progress of labour the doctor put heron drip and with poor success opted for surgery after a few hours. In between us my sister shared her experience in US during her daughter's delivery where the drip was administered at a speed my doctor sister herself was awed, with fast administration of many bottles to induce pain she delivered normally. In the case of my daughter-in-law the drip was at a very slow speed with no result at all! Uterine inertia was diagnosed and surgery done. We suspect the drip was an eyewash to pamper my preference! Not many doctors are that courteous!

An unintended long digression pouring out my personal grievances!!!

pooja.shankar
25th January 2006, 03:19 PM
I HAVE READ ALL THE BOOKS BY DAN BROWN ...
ALL ARE PAGE TURNING THRILLERS ...
EACH TIME I READ ONE ..I LL GO LIKE THIS ONE IS THE BEST ...

BUT AFTER SOMETIME ...I REALISE ....

HE S HAS PUT IN A LOT OF EFFORT TO WRITE ANGELS AND DEMONS AND THE DAVINCI CODE ....

BOTH ARE SO MUCH SO BASED ON REALITY YET NOT REAL ....
I MEAN ..WHU KNEW ..JESUS CHRIST HAD A FAMILY ..AND LEONARDO ..KNEW IT AND WORKED ALL HIS MASTER PIECED TO PASS ON THAT SECRET ......

dsath
10th March 2006, 10:29 PM
The chase in the book was good. Does anyone here know that the movie version of the book has been delayed as there is a copyright allegation against the author. Looks like he has lifted the entire idea and the architecture from another book which was again a best seller.

SenorJalapeno
11th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln, the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail (1982) are responsible for the delay. They claim that Dan Brown stole the idea of the Holy Grail being the bloodline of Jesus Christ through Mary Magdalene from their book. If you have read both books, you would be inclined to pay attention to their claim. We have to wait for the verdict.

rami
21st March 2006, 01:07 PM
All 4 novels of Dan Brown were gr8. Its a coincidence that i happened to come across the thread just as i finished all the 4.. (In fact I finished Digital Fortress only yday... )

I have links to some Dan brown and some Robin Cook novels
If some1 is interested PM me your mail id ... I will send u the link thru PM

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 09:16 AM
Watch the Trailer of the Da Vinci Code guys n gals ! Its breath taking

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/index.html

mohanraman
30th March 2006, 11:13 PM
Please read a book called "seven ancient wonders" by maththew reilly.....really fast paced and refers to the "davinci code" as well.
sort of indiana jones and dan brown mixed.Fiction , yes, but great reading.

RR
4th April 2006, 11:35 AM
Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln, the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail (1982) are responsible for the delay. They claim that Dan Brown stole the idea of the Holy Grail being the bloodline of Jesus Christ through Mary Magdalene from their book. If you have read both books, you would be inclined to pay attention to their claim. We have to wait for the verdict.
Michael Baigent gang will not have an easy time arguing this case, as copyright does not protect ideas or concepts. Plagiarism suits targetting features like 'architecture' are grey area, so it's going to be interesting to watch the developments..

BTW, anyone has updates on Davinci code - II?

bingleguy
4th April 2006, 11:38 AM
Davinci code - II

Thats NEWS RR !

bingleguy
4th April 2006, 11:50 AM
Please read a book called "seven ancient wonders" by maththew reilly.....really fast paced and refers to the "davinci code" as well.
sort of indiana jones and dan brown mixed.Fiction , yes, but great reading.

Matthew Reilly, the New York Times bestselling author and "pedal-to-the-metal action novelist" (Publishers Weekly), is back in high gear on the greatest treasure hunt of all time -- a headlong race to find the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

In ancient times, a Golden Capstone was placed atop the Great Pyramid at Giza during a rare solar event called the Tartarus Rotation. Once every 4,500 years, a superhot sunspot -- the Tartarus Sunspot -- aligned itself with Earth and caused immense worldwide flooding and sun-scorching. It is said that when the Capstone sat atop the Great Pyramid, no such flooding or solar damage occurred. And, according to legend, whosoever places the Capstone on the pyramid at the next Tartarus Rotation will gain absolute power over Earth for the next 1,000 years.

In 2006, the Tartarus Rotation will come again, but the Capstone is nowhere to be found.

With the fate of global dominance hanging in the balance, nearly every world power sends forth its troops to locate the Capstone. Among them are the United States, the European Union, Israel, ruthless terrorists, and one other unusual force: a coalition of seven smaller nations that have decided that the Capstone is too powerful for any one country to hold.

So they band together against all odds and send an eight-man team to take on all the great forces in the chase. Led by an Australian super-soldier named Jack West Jr., the team includes a Canadian professor, two crack Irish commandos (one of whom is female), a Spanish paratrooper, a Jamaican soldier, an Arab commando, and a daredevil New Zealand pilot. And with them always is a little girl named Lily, the ten-year-old daughter of the Oracle of Siwa -- one of only two people in the world who can decode an ancient text that leads to the Capstone.

This stalwart group embarks on a global journey filled with booby-trapped mines, stupendous ancient wonders, gigantic evil forces, and adventure beyond imagination.

From the Colossus of Rhodes to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, from the Lighthouse at Alexandria to the Great Pyramid itself, fasten your seatbelts and hang on as the author of Ice Station and Scarecrow takes you on the adventure of your life!

Src : fantasticfiction

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 10:13 AM
I heard from my brother Angels and Demons os better than Da Vinci Code

stranger
7th April 2006, 04:02 AM
In the new illustrated version cover of D V C, it has been claimed that, "It is the #1 best seller worldwide"! (over 40 million copies have been sold)

All these allegations and accusations on Dan Brown reminds me of a saying by mario puzo in The godfather,

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime"! (originally said byG. Gordon Liddy ?)

RR
7th April 2006, 10:35 AM
Davinci code - II

Thats NEWS RR !
bingleguy,
Dan Brown says he's working on it..!

dsath
8th April 2006, 01:04 AM
Dan Brown is cleared from alleged copyright breach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4886234.stm

Alien
8th April 2006, 10:42 PM
Dan Brown is cleared from alleged copyright breach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4886234.stm
:thumbsup: ....... 8-)

padf00t
9th April 2006, 10:58 PM
hi
i just joined......and well wat can i say!!
its really nice
anyways watchout 4 more posts 4om me :wink:

Sinthiya
10th April 2006, 04:31 AM
hi
i just joined......and well wat can i say!!
its really nice
anyways watchout 4 more posts 4om me :wink:
welcome to the HUB!... :)
enjoy and looking forward to your posts!

Sinthiya
10th April 2006, 04:55 AM
I heard from my brother Angels and Demons os better than Da Vinci Code
I felt Angels and Demons was better than Da Vinci Code as well...

it was fast paced and a little more interesting...though Da Vinci Code was just as good....but a little slow....

looking forward to the movie... :) ...seen the trailor :thumbsup: ... i would love to go The Louvre museum one day....

bingleguy
10th April 2006, 08:54 AM
HOT NEWS

Da Vinci Code copy claim rejected
========================
The High Court in London rejects a claim that Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code breached the copyright of another book.

Sinthiya
11th April 2006, 10:45 PM
Second plagiarism claim against Brown for 'Da Vinci Code'
Last Updated Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:06:00 EDT

Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown is facing another plagiarism accusation, this time from a Russian art historian.

U.S. author Dan Brown is accused of plagiarizing the art theories of a Russian art historian in 'The Da Vinci Code.' Last Friday, a British judge rejected a seperate claim that Brown had copied sections of his 2003 bestseller from an earlier book. (Alastair Grant/AP)
Mikhail Anikin claims that the U.S. author's 2003 bestseller plagiarized his hypothesis that Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa was a coded theological message.

Anikin believes that the Mona Lisa was Da Vinci's allegory about the Christian Church and that the portrait's face is actually two combined images: that of Jesus and of the Virgin Mary.

Anikin is an art historian and Da Vinci specialist working at the famed Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg. He claims that in 1998, when the museum was working on an exhibit with officials from Houston, Texas, he shared his theory with some of these colleagues.

One of the group was interested in the idea and asked to share the theory with a "detective book author that he knew," Anikin told Agence France-Press.

While he granted the man permission to convey the theory, Anikin says he specified that he must be attributed if the author used the idea in a future book.

Anikin also says that he outlined his theory in his 2000 book Leonardo Da Vinci: Theology in Paint.

On Friday, a British court rejected the claim that Brown had copied parts of The Da Vinci Code from the earlier book Holy Blood, Holy Grail by authors Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. Baigent and Leigh had launched the British lawsuit.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/04/11/da-vinci-copy.html

stranger
12th April 2006, 02:52 AM
It is really hard to prove "plagiarism"! Americans are always smart enough to know "cheat but dont get caught" philosophy! :)

Sinthiya
12th April 2006, 08:05 AM
i agree, stranger....

Dan Brown will win the second claim as well....

bingleguy
12th April 2006, 08:35 AM
how many issues yaar ! This guy wil go sick of defending himself n i guess they are not goin to give him piece to concentrate on his works :(

Sinthiya
12th April 2006, 08:46 AM
exactly....

well, whatever comes, he has to face it....obviously, he got the information (whether fact or fiction) from somewhere....but with the release of the Da Vinci Code movie, he's not going to lose any battle....

bingleguy
12th April 2006, 08:51 AM
This being his research study, would have forced him to dig deep ... ofcourse when u always dig deep u get to know unknown n buried secrets ! thats what he must have got ... otherwise why shld ppl be behind him ....

Sinthiya
13th April 2006, 07:15 PM
I agree he's done research and found buried secrets but of course everything is somewhat fabricated...some are true, but not all....

Not eveyone believes in his research....i have a friend who hates this book with passion, because he doesn't believe in this at all.....i first read it because of my interest in Leonardo Da Vinci and arts, but i also find his research/discovery very interesting (i cannot say i believe everything.....)....and as a result, have read A&D and Digital Fortress...

'show me the money...' that's what the publishers ask. as long as we keep buying the book and they keep making money through the different versions (hard cover, soft cover, illustrated version).....they will be behind him.....and now with the movie release, there is more pressure to support him and make more!

girishk14
28th April 2006, 05:33 PM
Dan Brown is the best. Harry Potter has met its match at last..

Ghlli
1st May 2006, 10:47 PM
hell ya i'm dan brown fannnn!!!! i bought da vinci code in the airport on the way to canada last year!!! i finished it by the time two flight jounreys way to there and coming back had finished! it was written in a rather wierd way....but the thing in it was good...against christians though....like jesus's blood line etc...but still its a bre heavy book :thumbsup:

crazy
15th May 2006, 05:44 PM
Da vinci code- on air MAY 19th!

bingleguy
15th May 2006, 05:56 PM
waiting for that ! planning to book tickets First Day first Show !

well am reading hi Angels n Demons ...

am seeing a big connection in the way he handles his writings .... a similarity ... will discuss n detail soon !

ramky
15th May 2006, 07:02 PM
Da vinci code- on air MAY 19th!
Well I like "Da Vinci Code". have yet to read the others. in which tv channel is it on air and what time ( GMT / Indian time ) ?

girishk14
15th May 2006, 07:08 PM
Its a movie! It will be released in theatres on that day!

ramky
15th May 2006, 07:21 PM
Oh k I thought some channel was going to "air" it on tv too !

crazy
15th May 2006, 08:47 PM
i have read all his novels

my fav :
angels and demons
da vinci code
digital fotress
deception poin
hmmmmmmmmmm waiting for his next!
iam looking forward to may 19th. cant wait! not only coz of the film, but of tom hanks!

Ghlli
16th May 2006, 02:28 AM
da vinci code, noughts and crosses, and the child called it...are very famous books in my school 8-) most like da vinci code. i loveeeeeeee da vinci code!

NM
18th May 2006, 04:14 AM
Crazy :

you're right.......DVC is all the more appealing because of Tom Hanks.... he's such a great actor!! Can't wait top watch it n him! :D

Badri
18th May 2006, 05:41 AM
Hmm, but looks like the Cannes critics have pooh poohed the movie. The only saving grace, they agree is Ian McKellan

Here is a review
Da Vinci Code Review (http://www.theage.com.au/news/film/da-vinci-misses-mark-at-cannes/2006/05/17/1147545367061.html)

crazy
18th May 2006, 11:57 AM
i think they r so jealous, they cant just enjoy such a movie with tom hanks! yesterday i was watching the prees meet at cannes............so critics........iam sure they couldnt stand to an oustanding movie!
tommorrow its getting released here, i am going to watch it!
god iam looking so much forward to see that!

bingleguy
18th May 2006, 12:01 PM
Good news guys in India !

see my signature

Badri
18th May 2006, 12:08 PM
i think they r so jealous, they cant just enjoy such a movie with tom hanks! yesterday i was watching the prees meet at cannes............so critics........iam sure they couldnt stand to an oustanding movie!
tommorrow its getting released here, i am going to watch it!
god iam looking so much forward to see that!

:banghead:

oh puhleez!!! Why on earth should the critics be jealous of Tom Hanks!!! And it is not their job to just enjoy the movie with Hanks!! That is the job of us fools who shell out our money and therefore are somewhat forced to enjoy any damm thing that is shown on the screen!

crazy
18th May 2006, 12:18 PM
shadri r u jealuos ?????
besides u cares about the movie is a fact or a fiction? the critics just want to show their face on the tele, thats it!
one of the french critics was saying............."bad acting, bad history........................." who cares!
i love that book coz it was giving al ot of history, which i never heard before, it was intresting know those facts!

as i said they r jealous!

ramky
19th May 2006, 05:50 AM
hi guys, those in india see my signature !

Roshan
19th May 2006, 02:39 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? I am eagerly waiting for it.. but I dont think it will be released here in Sri Lanka. Usually it takes time :(

bingleguy
19th May 2006, 02:44 PM
Dont worry Roshan ... it has already released in many places .. even n india ! Crazy has gone to see the movie .. will come back n update us :-)

Well i hear from many that it is a Real Drama ...

SmileAlways
19th May 2006, 04:37 PM
Heard tht the movie is not so gr8 as the book!!

But...junta..plz dont get fooled by tht book and buy Deception Point...or Digital fortress!! Both these books were okish...and were screaming "Make me into a film" If you have read deception point.....u will know what I am talking about......esp those paragraphs where they fall from the ice cliff and are marooned and finally get saved....the last portion where they are in a burning ship...Sharks lurking...and the villain around...seemed like a typical movie masala!!

Digital Fortress!! My gawd!! The hero and heroine (offcourse the names and occupations are changed here)go through all perils..and finally emerge victorious...now..where have we heard this b4??

We are given a bunch of muck abt passwords, tracing emails...back door....and the nice touch abt Tankado being son of the corporate millionaire!!

However.....I found Angels and Demons as riveting as Da Vinci Code.....Maybe everything is not fiction!!

SmileAlways
19th May 2006, 04:38 PM

But...junta..plz dont get fooled by tht book and buy Deception Point...or Digital fortress!! Both these books were okish...and were screaming "Make me into a film" If you have read deception point.....u will know what I am talking about......esp those paragraphs where they fall from the ice cliff and are marooned and finally get saved....the last portion where they are in a burning ship...Sharks lurking...and the villain around...seemed like a typical movie masala!!

Digital Fortress!! My gawd!! The hero and heroine (offcourse the names and occupations are changed here)go through all perils..and finally emerge victorious...now..where have we heard this b4??

We are given a bunch of muck abt passwords, tracing emails...back door....and the nice touch abt Tankado being son of the corporate millionaire!!

However.....I found Angels and Demons as riveting as Da Vinci Code.....Maybe everything is not fiction!!

SmileAlways
19th May 2006, 04:46 PM

bingleguy
19th May 2006, 05:16 PM
Angels n Demons .. awesome one ... many similarities between that n da vinci code !

crazy
19th May 2006, 05:55 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? I am eagerly waiting for it.. but I dont think it will be released here in Sri Lanka. Usually it takes time :(

just seen the movie..............its sooooooooooooo great!
OMG so perfect.............tom hanks...............god he was so great!
but i have read the book so i knew whats going to happen next and all, but it wont disappoint u!
the critics r just jealous. dan brown - genius, the da vinci code- piece of genius!

i recommend u all to watch it! wortyh watching! :)

Roshan
19th May 2006, 07:19 PM
Crazy,

Thanks for this info. Great to know the film is good. Would like to know the views of those who have seen it.

crazy
19th May 2006, 07:29 PM
Crazy,

Thanks for this info. Great to know the film is good. Would like to know the views of those who have seen it.

u r welcome!

hope u get a wonderful time watching it and DONT MISSSSSSSSSS IT! :)

ramky
20th May 2006, 03:34 AM
just seen the movie..............its sooooooooooooo great!
OMG so perfect.............tom hanks...............god he was so great!
but i have read the book so i knew whats going to happen next and all, but it wont disappoint u!
the critics r just jealous. dan brown - genius, the da vinci code- piece of genius!

i recommend u all to watch it! wortyh watching! :)
Thnx for your review Crazy ! will watch it when its released in India around next week.

NOV
20th May 2006, 09:50 PM
See my review of the movie, for people who have read the book.
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6992&start=30

Sinthiya
21st May 2006, 08:39 AM
Crazy...:)....thanks for your quick review...nice to know you enjoyed the movie...

i can't wait...

ramky
21st May 2006, 09:21 AM
See my review of the movie, for people who have read the book.
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6992&start=30
Very nice review, NOV !

pavalamani pragasam
22nd June 2006, 08:13 AM
:clap: A good job, Nov! I fully agree with your views and appreciate your detailed, accurate review!
I too personally feel reading pleasure is thousand times better than viewing pleasure.

ramky
9th July 2006, 10:39 AM
I heard that the ban on DaVinci Code film has been lifted in Tamil Nadu. so i hope to see it soon !

SenorJalapeno
12th July 2006, 12:28 AM
I've seen the movie a couple of times. I cannot understand why everyone is so excited to see the movie. I take it that there are those in here that may have not yet watched the movie so I will try not to spoil it for you. However, if you are the sort of person that loves a good read more than a painfully delinquent movie, then, try not to get too excited about the Da Vinci Code. I love Tom Hanks. I think he is iconic, but his performance in Da Vinci Code leaves much to be desired. Audrey Tatou is gorgeous and can string a few good dialogues with conviction. The best role of the movie belongs to Paul Bettany. He plays the role of Silas to near perfection.

Dan Brown fans, prepare to hand over your money for no good reason.

ragav89
21st September 2006, 09:38 PM
they were all really rocking and i have read all the books and i am an adrent fan of him and i am waiting for his books to be released and i heard tat he is doin a work recently..is it true..

Alan
12th November 2006, 02:22 PM
So far, I ve read only Da Vinci Code- as Nov rightly said, its simply unputdownable!!!!

harishkumar09
24th March 2008, 08:37 PM
I prefer books to the original movies. But the movie was very faithful to the book. Quite rare when you try to make a movie out of a book. Angels and Demons was equally good. The way the author weaves the modern and the medieval together is really impressive.

Roshan
9th April 2008, 11:51 PM
Any body, any idea as to when DB's next novel "The Solomon's Key" would get published? Some time back I heard it will be out by end 2007 or early 2008 but have not heard anything lately. The title itself is intriguing and I am eagerly waiting for it.

Fridge
15th May 2008, 04:23 AM
Will there be a tamil version of the Da Vinci code out?

fridge

Roshan
15th May 2008, 04:30 PM
Will there be a tamil version of the Da Vinci code out?

fridge

Hi Fridge,

By any chance are you the same old person who used to be active in the old forumhub ? :roll:

Fridge
17th May 2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Roshan

Yes, I have been quite busy lately. Nice to pop in every now and then.

Roshan
19th September 2009, 06:38 PM
Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown's new book The Lost Symbol sells 2,000 an hour..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/09/16/da-vinci-code-author-dan-brown-s-new-book-the-lost-symbol-sells-2-000-an-hour-115875-21677062/

Cannot wait..

bingleguy
3rd August 2010, 07:12 PM
The Lost Symbol !!!!

Anybody read it ???? how is it ?

crazy
3rd August 2010, 07:14 PM
The Lost Symbol !!!!

Boring :sigh2:

NOV
3rd August 2010, 07:18 PM
Havent bought it. Maybe this weekend :P

bingleguy
3rd August 2010, 07:38 PM
The Lost Symbol !!!!

Boring :sigh2:

:roll: what was boring?

crazy
3rd August 2010, 10:17 PM
The last symbol

bingleguy
3rd August 2010, 11:07 PM
The last symbol

ada adu puriyudhu :) i meant, what in that book was boring?

bingleguy
3rd August 2010, 11:08 PM
The last symbol

btw ... isnt it The Lost Symbol ???? :roll:

pavalamani pragasam
19th February 2012, 08:31 AM
Finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown last night. Loved it tremendously. This is the 3rd novel I read by this author- the 1st being Davinci Code & the 2nd Angels and Demons.. I like this better! Amazing narrative skills, lucid style of continuing different threads of the story with cinematic thrill ans sustained suspense. I never expected Zacary could be.....let me not break the suspense for those who have not read it yet!
I was very impressed by the Masonic and Noetic ideas described- can relate my own inclinations to them. Happy to see the connection -commonness- in all ancient beliefs and practices. Got educated about the magical squares and a lot more interesting matters of science and spirituality. Strangely surprised to read the importance of number 33. Recalled our family tradition in olden days to gift Rs.6 to a newborn baby: 'aaRu aaRaay perugum' was the belief. The number 6 is supposed to have the magical, auspicious potential to grow as a flowing fertile river.
Washington city's history and its architecture were eye-openers to me who has learnt only the purely political history of America in my school syllabus which included a separate paper on American history. I verified with my kids who have visited the capital/Capitol about its ancient architecture model!
A great author to read and get enlightened by! Shall try to read his other works also.

ujeetotei
24th January 2013, 11:30 PM
The next book is Inferno.