PDA

View Full Version : AVATAR James Cameron's Magic.

Pages : [1] 2

tamizharasan
15th December 2009, 04:01 AM
I think James Cameroon did it again with Avatar. Reviews already saying that the effect of Star Wars is seen again. It may be breaking all the box office records set in hollywood in coming weeks. Now Titanic's box office record is in danger.

NOV
15th December 2009, 05:44 AM
Titanics BO has already been broken many times.

groucho070
15th December 2009, 06:54 AM
Yeah, if inflation adjusted Titanic is no big shake. Probably would watch it this weekend. Good critical response too. Ebert comparing the feeling to watching Star Wars first time :shock:

Inflation adjusted top ten Titanic is after Ten Commandment at 6th position: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Nerd
15th December 2009, 07:30 AM
Titanics BO has already been broken many times.
No, it has not been as far as USA BO is concerned.

tamizharasan
15th December 2009, 07:44 AM
worldwide box office
http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross?region=world-wide
American box office
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Titanic leads on both. With adjusted to inflation still Gone with the wind leads in domestic box office.

k_vanan
15th December 2009, 08:55 AM
already booked ticket for thursday show at 1Utama GSC 3D show :happydance: :happydance: :cheer: :bluejump: :redjump:

groucho070
15th December 2009, 09:09 AM
Okay, TA, got your point. I hope this one breaks Titanic's record. Antha padam onnum periya Tillalanggadi illa-nu ithu prove pannanum :D. If Titanic is the best thing that happened in the 90s, then it is sad man, very sad. :x

tamizharasan
15th December 2009, 10:05 AM
Okay, TA, got your point. I hope this one breaks Titanic's record. Antha padam onnum periya Tillalanggadi illa-nu ithu prove pannanum :D. If Titanic is the best thing that happened in the 90s, then it is sad man, very sad. :x

I also don't think Titanic is great movie. Just box office record is great. I liked several other movies such as Godfather, Silence of the Lambs and One who flew over the cuckoo's nest and atleast 50 other movies better than titanic. But the greatness is Titanic record even without adjusting to inflation is not broken since 1996. Any movie should collect atleast 900 millions dollars in america alone to beat titanic record and atleast 1.2 billion in america alone to beat gone with the wind record.

groucho070
15th December 2009, 11:00 AM
If you take Cameron's work, I would put Aliens and the first Terminator, and above all, The Abyss, above Titanic and I am not being emotional here*

*Maybe I am, having been traumatised by Celine Dion's song those days :cry:

kid-glove
15th December 2009, 11:04 AM
I would throw up if I hear that song again.

groucho070
15th December 2009, 11:07 AM
:lol: I was at the point of going on murderous rampage but they told me it was illegal.

Hope Dion is nowhere in the Avatar soundtrack list :evil:

kid-glove
15th December 2009, 11:11 AM
I immensely like "True Lies"..

ajithfederer
15th December 2009, 11:18 AM
I love T-2. Right up there with Die-Hard.

groucho070
15th December 2009, 11:23 AM
Of course, True Lies is still wonderful. T2 was pretty mindblowing at that time. Sure, I will list them above Titanic!! :twisted:

kid-glove
15th December 2009, 01:45 PM
I too like T-2. But then who doesn't? It's one of the best action-sci/fi film of all time (with emphasis on action).

hamid
15th December 2009, 01:55 PM
True Lies is a fantastic movie..(kuthiraila Bike-a thoratharathu antha padamthaane???)

T-2? judgement day-va?? I liked Judgement day.. other parts paarkala.

Appu s
15th December 2009, 02:10 PM
True Lies is a fantastic movie..(kuthiraila Bike-a thoratharathu antha padamthaane???)

T-2? judgement day-va?? I liked Judgement day.. other parts paarkala.

T-2-Judgement day than.

hamid
15th December 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Appu..

Sanjeevi
15th December 2009, 03:06 PM
The difference between Titanic and other JC movies is the Romance :)

Aalavanthan
15th December 2009, 07:37 PM
There is a premiere show on wednesday here in the UK.. Watched the trailor the other day, and its just jawdropping stuff !

Cant wait to watch the movie.. I hope IR had done the music for this remake of Avadharam .. Did JC get the copyright solved from Nasser ? :lol:

tamizharasan
15th December 2009, 09:25 PM
Avatar nominated for best picture(drama) and best director in the golden globes.

http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/159

Avadi to America
15th December 2009, 10:21 PM
James camroon's worst movie is TITANIC.... I was eagerly sitting in theatre to see how the ship wreck was shot....other than ship wrecking, the movie is pathetic.....

As groucho said, T2 is mindblowing till now.....It was running 175 days in ALANGAR.....

bingleguy
15th December 2009, 11:10 PM
IMO ... the extrodinary thing in Titanic was the background work that was involved and not just title or romance or actors !!!

trying to recreate the disaster of the early 20th century - with an enormous ship which was almost recreated ...... and not just graphics .... and technicality and behind the screen effort kku dhaan mukkiyamaa andha padam stood apart !!!!

Sanjeevi
16th December 2009, 12:23 AM
700 prints for avatar in India. tamil version alone take 100 prints :) and rest are Aangilam, Indhi and telungu. Sathyam cinemas has rights to release avatar in TN. Even tomorrow Satyam theatre screens avatar 3D version (kannadiyoda paarungo with Rs. 20 extra charge) :D

Eagerly waiting for this move but 2D ya illa 3D ya :wink:

Bala (Karthik)
16th December 2009, 04:57 PM
Oh 3D screens, glasses vera irukka?
Bangalore la endha theater la 3D undu? :roll:

littlemaster1982
16th December 2009, 09:21 PM
My reply got mixed up in other thread.

LM,
Bangalore la endha theater la 3D vasadhi irukku?

Fame Cinemas, Ulsoor & Fame Shankarnag (Old Symphony theater), MG Road both have 3D shows.

Inox - Garuda Mall is also supposed to screen in 3D, but I'm unable to confirm.

[html:f6de74cb7b]http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=TOIBG/2009/12/16/28/Img/Ad0280801.png[/html:f6de74cb7b]

Bala (Karthik)
16th December 2009, 09:46 PM
:ty: LM

By the way, it should be 'Cameron' and not 'Cameroon' in the title :)

NOV
17th December 2009, 06:32 AM
it started playing on wednesday nite in malaysia. :roll:
bought tickets for saturday nite :happydance:

littlemaster1982
17th December 2009, 07:21 AM
[tscii:dff14e19e1]RGV romba overa pesaraare (http://rgvzoomin.com/2009/12/16/the-second-coming) :roll:

Some people say less is more. I say, more is less and too much is not enough – James Cameron.

As I stepped out of Imax last night after watching AVATAR in 3D, I hated James Cameron for in comparison to the ultra futuristic vision of his, he made me feel like a pre-historic being of cinema in every which way. AVATAR in 3D is the most mind-blowing cinematic experience anybody can ever hope to have in their entire lifetime. Nearly 3 decades ago I remember being awestruck with Star Wars and now nearly 30 years later AVATAR to me looked 30 years ahead of its time both in its creative output and also in terms of James Cameron’s sheer imaginative power.

Some people said that it’s low on the emotional quotient compared to Titanic but if at all, that could be because the visuals and the atmosphere of the film are so breathtaking that it takes you that much more time and effort to connect to its emotional aspect and its story when compared to a normal film with normal people.

I have never believed in God but I think James Cameron is greater than God for the simple reason that he created a far more beautiful, far more fantastic and far more exotic world than what even God can ever hope to create.

And all this he managed to do it in a paltry budget of 1200 Crores. Yes, I say it’s a paltry budget considering we make films like Kambhakt Ishq and London Dreams for budgets nearly touching 80 to 90 crores which is nearly as much as 1/12th of the budget of AVATAR and then every shot of AVATAR looks 12000 times better than our entire so-called 100 crore films.

I honestly feel that it is a crime to give away such a glorious experience as that of watching AVATAR for a mere 100 or 200 Rupee ticket to us common people.

When someone asked me if the special efx of AVATAR will inspire other filmmakers, I said that on the contrary they might have a reverse effect. What I mean is that we can only aspire to become someone when we can atleast have a belief that we can reach someone’s potential but James Cameron in AVATAR created a bench mark so high that it will take years for us lesser folk even to comprehend it let alone attempt to execute it.

It’s like if you aspire to be a runner and somehow hope to run at a speed of 20km per hour which may be the world record and then when on the track you see a guy running at 200kmph you would rather give up and come back and make family dramas and TV serials and leave the running to James Cameron.

Titanic was fantastic but it did not shake me up inspite of everyone else around me back then saying that James Cameron is God of cinema.

But with his second coming “AVATAR” I have surely turned religious.

I want to pray to him for making “AVATAR”.

I hate him for making all us so-called filmmakers in the world feel like ants. (Read chooths)

I love him for the passion and the patience with which he created new benchmarks in each and every technical aspect of the medium of films.

And lastly, “I thank him for existing”.

P.S: I truly believe “AVATAR” will divide cinema as we knew it so far into a pre “AVATAR” and a post “AVATAR” era.

Don’t see it…. Experience it.

[/tscii:dff14e19e1]

Bala (Karthik)
17th December 2009, 08:59 AM
What's with this Star Wars fixation? Ivanga ellam 2001 paathadhe illiya? 2001 wallops the behind of every sci-fi movie released till now in every department. Star Wars is a Chutti TV cartoon, in comparison. Naansanssss :x

BTW, liked the bit about Kambakht Ishq and London Dreams :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
17th December 2009, 08:59 AM
Booked at Inox 3D for Saturday

P.S: Padam puriyuma nu bayama irukku...

NOV
17th December 2009, 09:12 AM
minimum rendu thadava paarkkanum

I will see 3D version next week :D

Nerd
17th December 2009, 08:56 PM
What's with this Star Wars fixation? Ivanga ellam 2001 paathadhe illiya? 2001 wallops the behind of every sci-fi movie released till now in every department. Star Wars is a Chutti TV cartoon, in comparison. Naansanssss :x

Yeh, star wars asingam. And 2001 was in the 60s for Gods sake :twisted:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/ - The consensus seems to be visually spectacular but indha character development, emotional kOsant ellAm kammiyA irukkaam..

P_R
17th December 2009, 09:57 PM
What's with this Star Wars fixation? Ivanga ellam 2001 paathadhe illiya? 2001 wallops the behind of every sci-fi movie released till now in every department.
Star Wars was so not "ennada solla vareenga", which IMO is important for the 'dazzlement' of a sci-fi

tamizharasan
18th December 2009, 12:14 AM
Star wars was way ahead of its times when it was released. I am not really sure how many of us are qualified to talk about that. My american colleagues said that they were stunned when they watched the movie for first time on theatres. It is not fair to compare star wars with recent movies.

Nerd
18th December 2009, 01:03 AM
But the thing is 2001: A Space Odessey is one hundred times better in terms of being visually spectacular / shockingly good for the time it released, and a thousand times better in terms of other cinematic aspects.

kid-glove
18th December 2009, 01:42 AM
Stuff in 2001 was put together by years of background work done by Kubrick with NASA experts. He employed real engineers to experiment and recreate the backdrop with some sense of plausibility. Speculations are American govt, & Nasa had funded Kubrick to do this film as a propaganda machine for people believing into their moon/space travel which would later be staged by Kubrick in film studios. :lol:

Some of the mechanical sets, or authentic makeup for the Apes, for example, were designed to perfection. He outdid everything prior to this and IMO, will stand the test of time as the pinnacle of the genre. Revamped the genre when it was going through a phase of shoddy production values, plastic aliens and parodies of themes. He made something that works on one unassuming simplification - visual images accompanied with music that works like a silent musical. :shock: :notworthy: The film could be seen and experienced solely like a symphony.

Then there is a question of authenticity in this experience, the logical step was to not show the Alien. This, IMO, is sheer genius. We talk about genre subversions, like Reservoir dogs being a heist film without heist, and so on. But this is something else. The idea of far-evolved superior species watching, guiding, and monitoring our cosmical-evolution is a potent one. Yet, you are not allowed to fixate aliens into fixed dimensions, an image that would ultimately be World-ly when it could be anything but that. Thus arrived the "Monolith", as mysteriously bland as a visualized simulacrum of an 'Alien'. The implanting of Monolith at various evolutionary junctions of Humans is to be seen (& is shown in the film) from bird's eye view and not from a human standpoint POV (Kubrick never shows the "Monolith" through eyes of primitive apes or the fully developed human but placed among the vicinage.). The lack of first-person perspective and the resulting emotional insulation/detachment is absolutely vital IMO, to speculate on a wider, interesting and 'grander' concept. So, "Enna solla vareenga" I think not. Although the suggestions and subliminal interpretations had feigned such an image.

Sticking to innovativeness(most of which remains discreet) and proportionate quality, it out scales almost all digial recreations since then. CGI with green screen was developed by Lucas, which to be honest is a big innovation and changed cinema forever. With limitless potential to provide 'grandness'. But then, as Bowman encounters the Jupiter monolith which triggers a Stargate sequence that eventually ports him into another side of universe. Entrapped by the human prison or zoo if you will, & guarded by Alien (who we still don't see) till his death. The talent in canvassing this, without much distortion, into images is cinematic genius.

Lucas had been inspired by 2001 as a kid. Spielberg as well. Such genre masters, Sci-Fi revolutionists concede 2001 to be mind-blowingly put together, improbable & inconceivable without a genius. A landmark moment that redefined and expanded the genre. As was "Paths of Glory" to War, "Barry Lyndon" to Period piece, "Lolita" to romance, "Dr,Strangelove" to cold-war, "Shining" to horror, "A clockwork Orange" to ultraviolence. :twisted:

MADDY
18th December 2009, 02:37 AM
I hate him for making all us so-called filmmakers in the world feel like ants. (Read chooths)

they are not meant for reading, mr.RGV :P .....

Avatars promos look visually stunning and a kickass indianised title......ive liked all Cameron's movies including Titanic - must watch ya......

ajithfederer
18th December 2009, 02:41 AM
Padam kandippa odirum adhu matter-ae illa. But how big is the deal. Great idea to release it at christmas time and at the end of fall school season. Some records are set to stumble i guess.

P_R
18th December 2009, 12:25 PM
All very well kig-glove.
As always, my only complaints about certain artists are that they are not like some other artists whom I like better :-)

VENKIRAJA
18th December 2009, 12:33 PM
Stuff in 2001 was put together by years of background work done by Kubrick with NASA experts. He employed real engineers to experiment and recreate the backdrop with some sense of plausibility. Speculations are American govt, & Nasa had funded Kubrick to do this film as a propaganda machine for people believing into their moon/space travel which would later be staged by Kubrick in film studios. :lol:

Some of the mechanical sets, or authentic makeup for the Apes, for example, were designed to perfection. He outdid everything prior to this and IMO, will stand the test of time as the pinnacle of the genre. Revamped the genre when it was going through a phase of shoddy production values, plastic aliens and parodies of themes. He made something that works on one unassuming simplification - visual images accompanied with music that works like a silent musical. :shock: :notworthy: The film could be seen and experienced solely like a symphony.

Then there is a question of authenticity in this experience, the logical step was to not show the Alien. This, IMO, is sheer genius. We talk about genre subversions, like Reservoir dogs being a heist film without heist, and so on. But this is something else. The idea of far-evolved superior species watching, guiding, and monitoring our cosmical-evolution is a potent one. Yet, you are not allowed to fixate aliens into fixed dimensions, an image that would ultimately be World-ly when it could be anything but that. Thus arrived the "Monolith", as mysteriously bland as a visualized simulacrum of an 'Alien'. The implanting of Monolith at various evolutionary junctions of Humans is to be seen (& is shown in the film) from bird's eye view and not from a human standpoint POV (Kubrick never shows the "Monolith" through eyes of primitive apes or the fully developed human but placed among the vicinage.). The lack of first-person perspective and the resulting emotional insulation/detachment is absolutely vital IMO, to speculate on a wider, interesting and 'grander' concept. So, "Enna solla vareenga" I think not. Although the suggestions and subliminal interpretations had feigned such an image.

Sticking to innovativeness(most of which remains discreet) and proportionate quality, it out scales almost all digial recreations since then. CGI with green screen was developed by Lucas, which to be honest is a big innovation and changed cinema forever. With limitless potential to provide 'grandness'. But then, as Bowman encounters the Jupiter monolith which triggers a Stargate sequence that eventually ports him into another side of universe. Entrapped by the human prison or zoo if you will, & guarded by Alien (who we still don't see) till his death. The talent in canvassing this, without much distortion, into images is cinematic genius.

Lucas had been inspired by 2001 as a kid. Spielberg as well. Such genre masters, Sci-Fi revolutionists concede 2001 to be mind-blowingly put together, improbable & inconceivable without a genius. A landmark moment that redefined and expanded the genre. As was "Paths of Glory" to War, "Barry Lyndon" to Period piece, "Lolita" to romance, "Dr,Strangelove" to cold-war, "Shining" to horror, "A clockwork Orange" to ultraviolence. :twisted:

One of the best posts in the HUB (which reads as, one of the posts subject to my closest acceptance)

* Aliens, picturised with eyes and nose, or squary, bloby faces and walking on wheels.... eww! Or, say God picturised with a green parrot, on a giant snake, with 6 heads, with wavy hair and a greek beard... :| Phew!

* Visualisation of some things such as 'moonwalk' or space diet was sloppy, yet that jogging scene and ejecting one cosmo into outer space was total devastation!

* Complementary music, rightly pointed out. Ditto. The girls hostel was in splits in my previous college when they heard that telephone beep style Beeeeeeeeem sound and were completely freaked out.

* The climax scene gives a total new perspective to the first act and can in turn provide multiple perspectives about the human zoo itself. Even Kubrick points it out in one of his 13 interviews or something. In a straight one-time viewing and a quick recap the simple meaning we derive itself is groundbreaking to say the least.

* And, even I heard about that conspiracy. True?

kid-glove
18th December 2009, 06:08 PM
True, the closing shot of 2001 gives scope for multiple conclusions. :thumbsup:

I don't think the conspiracy is true. It's just too cinematic in itself. :lol:

MADDY
18th December 2009, 07:05 PM
Raja Sen reviews Avatar

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/18/review-watch-avatar-and-watch-it-in-3d.htm

Avatar is a stunning achievement, the definitive big-screen event of our generation. Words seem hopelessly inadequate to try and capture its spectacular three-dimensional glory, but suffice it to say that it sucks you in and immerses you smack bang into a whole new world, giving you a cinematic experience so goddamned rich it becomes impossible to assess it as a mere movie. Watch this, and watch it in 3D. Trust me.

tamizharasan
18th December 2009, 07:59 PM
Review from hollywood.com

http://www.hollywood.com/review/Avatar/6349888

tamizharasan
18th December 2009, 08:03 PM
from usa today
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/reviews/2009-12-17-avatar17_ST_N.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-12-18-avatar18_ST_N.htm

tamizharasan
18th December 2009, 08:42 PM
From new york times

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/movies/18avatar.html?partner=Rotten%20Tomatoes&ei=5083

Nerd
19th December 2009, 02:41 AM
Bad start, given the hype.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/12/avatar-midnight-ticket-sales-35-million.html

Looks like "The Dark Knight" opening record is going to stay. But this one should do very well in the long run.

tamizharasan
19th December 2009, 09:05 AM
I just watched the movie. It worths all its hype. WOM is going to be great for this movie.

littlemaster1982
19th December 2009, 10:29 PM
Stunning visuals and action sequences. But the premise is quite simple and doesn't feel like an epic.

Bala (Karthik)
19th December 2009, 11:53 PM
Star wars was way ahead of its times when it was released. I am not really sure how many of us are qualified to talk about that. My american colleagues said that they were stunned when they watched the movie for first time on theatres. It is not fair to compare star wars with recent movies.
:lol:
Singapore la panipuriyimbodhu keezh floor la "Dreamworks SKG" irundhuchu, ellam half trouser/kadukkann pottuttu thiriyuvaanunga. So avinga kitta kekkanuma? :razz: j/k

Just to clarify, by '2001' we refer to a film called '2001 A Space Odyssey'. If already seen, please ignore everything, if not, please do 'experience it' and let us know....

littlemaster1982
19th December 2009, 11:54 PM
Bala,

Avatar paarthacha? Or yet to see?

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 12:01 AM
Watched it today:

1. "RGV - kudutha kaasukku mela koovaraanda" reaction"
2. For the record, visually at least, havent' seen anything like this, it is a mind blowing feat, frame by frame. Idha conceive panradhu, realize panradhu, ellam vaippe illa. Idhellam nenachu paarkave hard work-a irukku! :notworthy:
3. "This will change the face of movie making", "this will change the way movies are made", RGV/Raja sen reaction etc - change the face of movie making na enna nu oru naalu sentence la yaravadhu munvandhu sonneenganna nalla irukkum.
4. 2001 - will kick, whip and lasso the behind of every such movie (past and present)
5. Last but not the least, the film is typical Hollywood in every sense imaginable expect in the very theme itself, very much un-Hollywood-like - my pet theme. Pandora could very well have been an Aztec/Apache/Inca setting. It was like watching a match.... Rousing :clap:

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 12:11 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with the second point. Last point sariya puriyala :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 12:17 AM
LM,
As i would like to see it, the film is about America itself, how the natives were pulverized, how the land was won over (with topical issues like global warming/eco balance etc to boot, thrown in...). Replace Pandora with Massachusetts, West Indies, Mexico or Central/S. America - Its like an alternate ending...

P.S: The war cries, for e.g, were like Apache cries...

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 12:23 AM
LM,
As i would like to see it, the film is about America itself, how the natives were pulverized, how the land was won over (with topical issues like global warming/eco balance etc to boot, thrown in...). Replace Pandora with Massachusetts, West Indies, Mexico or Central/S. America - Its like an alternate ending...

P.S: The war cries, for e.g, were like Apache cries...

Oh yeah :D

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 12:47 AM
LM, A kostin: What did you feel about the BGM? Did you think about ARR? I couldn't help thinking about what Raaja would have done!

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 12:56 AM
I felt BGM was ok. But it could have been much better. IR/ARR would have done a great job I think.

And how was the 3D?

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 01:20 AM
I felt BGM was ok. But it could have been much better. IR/ARR would have done a great job I think.

:exactly:

And how was the 3D?
My only frame of reference is My Dear Kuttichaathaan (of which i dont remember much), so i guess it was great! The film was all about 3D seriosuly, but it interfered with my peripheral vision of the snakes i was having :lol:
Enga paatheenga? I watched it in Inox, McGrath Rd

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 01:22 AM
And how was the 3D?
My only frame of reference is My Dear Kuttichaathaan (of which i dont remember much), so i guess it was great! The film was all about 3D seriosuly, but it interfered with my peripheral vision of the snakes i was having :lol:
Enga paatheenga? I watched it in Inox, McGrath Rd

I've seen a few 3D films recently and am not a big fan of it. But everyone else I know says this film should be watched in 3D.

I saw it in Devi, Chennai. Satyam/Inox ellam full aayiduchu. I might watch it again for 3D experience.

kid-glove
20th December 2009, 01:27 AM
I guess this film also suffers from one-dimensional bully antagonists. If so, it fully embodies Uncle Sam in entirety. :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 02:20 AM
By the by, thirunaamatha ('V') gavanicheengala yaravadhu?
Who is the iyengar here? :razz:

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 02:22 AM

:thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 02:25 AM
What's with this Star Wars fixation? Ivanga ellam 2001 paathadhe illiya? 2001 wallops the behind of every sci-fi movie released till now in every department.
Star Wars was so not "ennada solla vareenga", which IMO is important for the 'dazzlement' of a sci-fi
IMO, parameter to parameter (in absolute terms), 2001 will win easily!
Enakkellam padam 'purinjudhaan' pudichuda? (that that man, that that idhu) :razz: :oops:

tamizharasan
20th December 2009, 02:40 AM
Singapore la panipuriyimbodhu keezh floor la "Dreamworks SKG" irundhuchu, ellam half trouser/kadukkann pottuttu thiriyuvaanunga. So avinga kitta kekkanuma? :razz: j/k

Just to clarify, by '2001' we refer to a film called '2001 A Space Odyssey'. If already seen, please ignore everything, if not, please do 'experience it' and let us know....

Bala what i said was we did not (atleast I did not)watch the movie in theatres when star wars was released. Then only I can rightly compare star wars with that era. Anyway I have never watched space odysseey in its entirety in one sitting. Maybe I will watch again at one go and let you know.

tamizharasan
20th December 2009, 02:42 AM
Avatar does not have strong script I agree. But visuals and james cameroon imagination needs to be applauded for taking cinema sci fi to next level. I watched this movie in 3D. I really do not how it would have been in 2D. But in 3d the effects were amazing and must watch on 3D.

Bala (Karthik)
20th December 2009, 02:47 AM
Avatar does not have strong script I agree. But visuals and james cameroon imagination needs to be applauded for taking cinema sci fi to next level. I watched this movie in 3D. I really do not how it would have been in 2D. But in 3d the effects were amazing and must watch on 3D.
:exactly:

NOV
20th December 2009, 07:22 AM
stunning :shock:
definitely worth a few oscars!

movie of the decade, without a shadow of doubt.

NOV
20th December 2009, 07:24 AM
btw, could draw lots of parallels with US invasion of Mid-east (fight terror with terror)
and.... mahabharatha :frightened:

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 09:11 AM

Yaar vachirundha :?

tamizharasan
20th December 2009, 09:12 AM
This movie started slowly in USA mainly because of the snow storm in the north east. It is expected to have great legs in the coming weeks. Let us see how far this movie goes. IMO this movie is lot and lot better than the other blockbusters of this decade such as Transformer II and dark knight.

NOV
20th December 2009, 09:18 AM

Yaar vachirundha :?:omg:
you better see the film one more time. :sigh2:

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 09:28 AM
I have to :)

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 09:57 AM
Avatar cinematic event of this generation (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/masands-movie-review-avatar-cinematic-event-of-this-generation/107384-8.html)

Why do we fall in love with the Star Wars films? What makes us embrace the inhabitants of Middle Earth, and relish The Lord of the Rings saga? Why do our hearts beat so fast when those dinosaurs chase the humans in Jurassic Park?

We know those worlds don't really exist, we're aware that what we're seeing is just hokum. And yet we go along for the ride anyway, because - let's face it - it allows us to have such fun.

Every once in a while comes a film that grabs you by the gut and throws you into an experience so profound that nothing else really matters. These are films that stay with us our entire lives; films that touch both heart and mind; films that make you surrender completely to the power of the experience.

James Cameron's decade-in-the-making sci-fi dream project Avatar is not only a groundbreaking film it's also the definitive cinematic event of this generation.

As every film geek in the world already knows Avatar, set in the year 2154, involves a mission by US Armed Forces to the planet Pandora, light years away from Earth. The fearsomely well-equipped army of former Marines has arrived on Pandora to mine a rare mineral named "unobtainium" in order to solve a devastating energy crisis back home.

The mineral cannot be obtained without the cooperation of Pandora's native population, the Na'vi, a tribe of tall, blue-skinned, nature-loving forest dwellers who pose no threat to Earthlings. Since humans cannot breathe on Pandora, they must use avatars, or genetically engineered Na'vi look-alikes that are mind-controlled by them while they're wired up in an unconscious state on the space-craft.

Jake Sully (played by Sam Worthington) is an ex-Marine who has lost the use of his legs, but signs up for the program because his avatar allows him to walk again.

Sully finds himself caught between two camps: the well-meaning scientists led by Dr Grace Augustine (played by Sigourney Weaver) who wants to connect with the Na'vi and persuade them to move from their traditional land to make way for the mining; and the mercenaries led by Colonel Miles Quaritch (played by Stephen Lang) who is happy to use brutal force and explosives to wipe out the natives.

Sully is a changed man once he tastes Na'vi life and falls in love with lissome warrior princess Neytiri (played by Zoe Saldana) who teaches him to shoot arrows, to tame and fly stubborn psychedelic creatures, and to fight off scary jungle beasts. Thanks to his deepening relationship with Neytiri, he begins to question the legitimacy of the mission he signed up for, and eventually joins the Na'vi side to help them win a battle against the greedy humans.

With Avatar, director James Cameron doesn't just deliver solid fan-boy entertainment, he pushes the boundaries of technology in a manner that seems to bridge the gap between imagination and the practical limitations of the day. From looking at the film, it is clear that almost anything that can be imagined and illustrated can be realized on screen now. There's evidence of that too - the lush forests of Pandora, lit up by fluorescent plants and luminous insects; the floating mountains; the snarling six-legged dog-like creatures, the hammer-headed rhino beast. Virtually all of this is created on the computer, using a new generation of special effects and CGI. Even the Na'vi characters are brought to life by actors wearing sensors and performing on an empty stage while motion capture techniques turn them into those absolutely realistic blue-skinned natives.

The 3D technology Cameron's been developing for years has finally allowed him to create a gorgeous, mind-boggling, dangerous, alternative reality that has never before been seen on screen. Even Peter Jackson had to fly his actors all the way out to those gorgeous New Zealand landscapes to create Middle Earth. Cameron merely filmed his actors on empty soundstages, and the computer turned the blank walls into Pandora.

Among the most breathtaking scenes in Avatar is a thrilling sequence in which Sully captures and tames a dragon-like beast on a mountaintop, and of course the film's climatic battle between humans and the Na'vi.

Much like his last film, Titanic, the basic plot of Avatar is simple and predictable even, but look out for the various allusions and messages that Cameron sneaks in. You cannot miss the film's obvious reference to America's wrongful invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, or America's callous treatment towards its indigenous races. The warning bells about the repercussions of destroying nature are also too loud to ignore.

Because Cameron paints in broad strokes, Avatar doesn't connect emotionally in a manner that Titanic did, but only the stone-hearted will be unmoved when innocent Na'vis are shot or brutally killed in the final battle scene.

Ultimately however, Avatar belongs to one man and one man alone. The man who dreamt it all up in his head, spent years creating the technology it would require to translate his dream onto celluloid, the man who convinced an army of cast and crew to participate in this ambitious dream, the man who never let his fans down.

You may argue that you've seen better films than Avatar recently, but try remembering the last time you enjoyed the movie-going experience so much.

I'm going with an unprecedented five out of five and two big thumbs up for James Cameron's Avatar. Watch it in glorious 3D; that's how he intended for it to be seen. It's films like this that make going to the cinema an out-of-the-world experience.

Rating: 5 / 5 (Excellent)

Rajeev Masand gives 5/5 :shock:

P_R
20th December 2009, 10:53 AM
:?
ennatha US ennatha paaltics.

konja naaL Odum pOla ...medhuvA paathukkalaam.

For the attention of future reviewers: you are hereby restrained from using the word 'experience' - which has been formally retired from this context.

Nerd
20th December 2009, 10:55 AM
ellem, why sOcked at Masand's verdict?

sorta sorta negative review from BRangan (http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2009/12/19/review-avatar)

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 11:03 AM

Avaru avlo saadharanama 3/5-kku mela kudukka mattare, adhaan konjam sock aayitten. 4/5 kudutthirundha kooda ok.

jaaze
20th December 2009, 11:25 AM
Is the 3D version worth it or should one settle for the 2D version? :?

littlemaster1982
20th December 2009, 11:31 AM
2D was good enough. 3D should be better anyway :)

rangan_08
20th December 2009, 11:58 AM

sorta sorta negative review from BRangan (http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2009/12/19/review-avatar)

avar endha padathathan nalla irukkunu sonnaru ???

avar oru thani avatar !

rangan_08
20th December 2009, 12:00 PM
For the attention of future reviewers: you are hereby restrained from using the word 'experience' - which has been formally retired from this context.

looks like you had a bitter experience !

ajithfederer
20th December 2009, 12:53 PM
No for me.

This movie started slowly in USA mainly because of the snow storm in the north east. It is expected to have great legs in the coming weeks. Let us see how far this movie goes. IMO this movie is lot and lot better than the other blockbusters of this decade such as Transformer II and dark knight.

salaam_chennai
20th December 2009, 12:54 PM
Disappointing. Visually it was great and all that, but the script was very weak. After certain point, i felt like watching a visually glorified Jungle book.

I watched it in 2D. Watching it in 3D would have made me like the movie better, but in Hyd, 2 screens screening Avatar 3D is almost houseful(1 or 2 seats available in front row) till next weekend

ajithfederer
20th December 2009, 12:57 PM
:lol:. I would settle for T-2 anyday. Action scenes were also not that great. The creation of canvas and the idea as a whole is great but thats about it.

3-D experience was a headache. I should have gone for 2-d.

Disappointing. Visually it was great and all that, but the script was very weak. After certain point, i felt like watching a visually glorified Jungle book.

ajaybaskar
20th December 2009, 01:02 PM
P_R's avatar is more impressive than Cameron's....

ajithfederer
20th December 2009, 01:03 PM
Better wait for Nolan's Sci-fi. You will pretty much hate this is my guess. :P.

:?
ennatha US ennatha paaltics.

konja naaL Odum pOla ...medhuvA paathukkalaam.

Vivasaayi
20th December 2009, 01:06 PM
thank god...some of u reduced the hype by giving some -ve reviews...movie could be qatched with minimal expectation.

Im really thrilled to watch this movie on 3-D... :)

I dont remember getting such excited for any other movie..except DASA....

infact I am not a fan of fantasy/adventure movies..dint like lord of the rings(watched just one part),watched one part of pirates of the carribean in parts....

but really too thrilled to watch this movie on big screen... :)

p:s: af,

who are there in ur pic?

pacino and deniro thana...it looks like tarantino..the standing guy ..hehe

ajithfederer
20th December 2009, 01:09 PM
Yep yup.

p:s: af,

who are there in ur pic?

pacino and deniro thana...it looks like tarantino..the standing guy ..hehe

MADDY
20th December 2009, 08:09 PM

enna thalaivare? padam remba weaka :lol:

reading brangan's review - oru baed smel varudhu :? . yosichhu dhaan book pannanum pola

jaaze
20th December 2009, 09:24 PM
P_R's avatar is more impressive than Cameron's.... :lol: why so much disparity between the reviews? :?

Sanjeevi
20th December 2009, 11:27 PM
romba ethirparthutten polirukku :wink: disappointed :sad: but enjoyed :)

vetru kiragam poyi exhibition partha maathiri oru chinna feeling ennakku

Benny Lava
20th December 2009, 11:52 PM
The film is definitely watchable in 2D, but I guess the real kick is in watching it in 3D. I watched it in a theater slightly bigger than a home theater (and I found this theater after 2 hours of direction seeking among chinese non-english speakers :x ) Story is a regular one and the highs and lows pretty predictable, but Cameroon made it interesting.

Having seen just the 2D version on a small screen, I am sure I missed out on lot of visual impact. Need to watch it again on 3D, but adhuku Hong kong thaa poganum :(.

PS: Guys in Hyderabad, dont miss out on Imax 3D. The screen there is quite big, fully deserving for a film like this.

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 12:16 AM

enna thalaivare? padam remba weaka :lol:

reading brangan's review - oru baed smel varudhu :? . yosichhu dhaan book pannanum pola

I would highly recommend to watch this movie in theatre with 3D. Trust me you will never regret this decision. I felt like I was in different world for 2:40 minutes .

Nerd
21st December 2009, 06:13 AM
73M estimate for the opening weekend. Stormy weekend plays spoilsport but as I said earlier, this movie will run for a long time.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 07:06 AM
92% of the american viewers approved this movie as a must see. Without doubt this movie will have great and long run.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

groucho070
21st December 2009, 07:56 AM
Watched it and loved it. Review in my signature.

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 08:07 AM
Watched it and loved it. Review in my signature.

Great review groucho070. On the same lines this movie is approved by 92% of the reviewers and that is easily best for this decade.

groucho070
21st December 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for reading, TA. I said probably the best of the decade :D Might change my mind later. Am watching it again next weekend and also in 3D. Maybe Imax, hmmm.... :think:

littlemaster1982
21st December 2009, 08:14 AM
How Cameron conceived the Avatar (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/11/ff_avatar_cameron/all/1) - A good read.

Nerd
21st December 2009, 08:20 AM
On the same lines this movie is approved by 92% of the reviewers and that is easily best for this decade.
And who are those reviewers? The link you posted? That does not have any comparitive data actually. I think Wall-E should be #1 this decade going by critics' reviews.

Critics havent been exceptionally kind to Avatar. It stands at 83% in rottentomatoes. IMDB users have placed it in the top 25 currently. The dark knight's RT score is 94 and its in imdb's top 10.

littlemaster1982
21st December 2009, 08:24 AM
IMDB users have placed it in the top 25 currently.

It was at 168 the day before yesterday. The climb has been rapid. Let's see where it settles down after a month or two. And I don't think the film is that great to be called as THE movie of the decade :?

groucho070
21st December 2009, 08:32 AM
How Cameron conceived the Avatar (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/11/ff_avatar_cameron/all/1) - A good read.Thanks LM. Appreciate the film lot more reading these articles.

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 09:51 AM
On the same lines this movie is approved by 92% of the reviewers and that is easily best for this decade.
And who are those reviewers? The link you posted? That does not have any comparitive data actually. I think Wall-E should be #1 this decade going by critics' reviews.

Critics havent been exceptionally kind to Avatar. It stands at 83% in rottentomatoes. IMDB users have placed it in the top 25 currently. The dark knight's RT score is 94 and its in imdb's top 10.
Sorry this is audience rating. Not reviewers. I don't remember any movie have more than 92% approval at audience level. I will try to dig for audience rating on dark
knight.

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 10:03 AM
Nerd
Even top critics rated avatar better than dark knight according to rottentomatoes.

hamid
21st December 2009, 10:12 AM
Saw this last saturday in 2D.. stunning visuals and CG.. loved it.. second half is racier....nice moivie.. kids will love it..

but nothing to be called as movie of the decade or so.. the story part lags..Dark Knight is definitely way better than this movie..

VinodKumar's
21st December 2009, 11:10 AM
IMDB users have placed it in the top 25 currently.

It was at 168 the day before yesterday. The climb has been rapid. Let's see where it settles down after a month or two. And I don't think the film is that great to be called as THE movie of the decade :?

:exactly: I watched it in 3D . Visually it is great but Movie of the decade / so far the best movie in cinema history konjam over ah vae irruku :oops:

groucho070
21st December 2009, 11:21 AM
Guys, I emphasised on "probably" movie of the decade-nu. But that's on mainstream Hollywood context. I might change my mind after second viewing, which I did with The Dark Knight. It was everything during the first viewing as my review testifies (http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2008/07/dark-knight-best-hollywood-film-this.html), but later viewings I felt it still does not stand head above shoulders compared to the 1989/1992 Batman films. I know, blasphemy to deny Nolan's versions that spot.

Next weekend parpom, whether I change my mind or not. :D

littlemaster1982
21st December 2009, 11:29 AM
Groucho,

It was not pointing your review as such, I noticed the word probably. But the consensus (IMDB, Orkut etc) seems to imply this is the movie of the decade.

groucho070
21st December 2009, 11:38 AM
Ah, okay LM. I saw someone else saying that it is "without shadows of doubt" :P

littlemaster1982
21st December 2009, 11:43 AM
Groucho,

Not only him, almost everyone else claims the same :think:

Bala (Karthik)
21st December 2009, 06:28 PM
Grouch,

Joe Queenan articulated about how in films Americans, especially whites, are always portrayed as the saviours, representing the minorities, the underprivileged, purveyor of the streets and those endowed with lesser technologies usually involving sharp implements.
:lol: yeah but IMO idhuve periya vishayam ivinga kitta! :razz:

BTW, did you like the much maligned "Dances With Wolves"?

NOV
21st December 2009, 07:26 PM
Ah, okay LM. I saw someone else saying that it is "without shadows of doubt" :P :roll: :roll: :roll:

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 11:25 PM
Grouch,

Joe Queenan articulated about how in films Americans, especially whites, are always portrayed as the saviours, representing the minorities, the underprivileged, purveyor of the streets and those endowed with lesser technologies usually involving sharp implements.

Bala IMHO Dance With Wolves is the most overrated movie of all time in hollywood. Kevin Costner performance in that movie is one of the worst I have ever seen in hollywood. Not many people know that Kevin Costner along with Sylvester Stallone won the several awards for worst acting category in an award called oscar for worst acting. It is called Razzie award and look at the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Raspberry_Award_for_Worst_Actor

Bala (Karthik)
21st December 2009, 11:29 PM
Grouch,

Bala IMHO Dance With Wolves is the most overrated movie of all time in hollywood. Kevin Costner performance in that movie is one of the worst I have ever seen in hollywood. Not many people know that Kevin Costner along with Sylvester Stallone won the several awards for worst acting category in an award called oscar for worst acting.
Kevin costner kitterndhu neenga acting expect pannadhe thappillaya? :razz:

I don't know but i liked the film more seeing the extreme negative reactions, Kevin Costner notwithstanding.... Haven't seen "Last Of the Mohicans" and other "Indians"-based films... adhaan indha thread la ketten...

tamizharasan
21st December 2009, 11:37 PM
Grouch,

Bala IMHO Dance With Wolves is the most overrated movie of all time in hollywood. Kevin Costner performance in that movie is one of the worst I have ever seen in hollywood. Not many people know that Kevin Costner along with Sylvester Stallone won the several awards for worst acting category in an award called oscar for worst acting.
Kevin costner kitterndhu neenga acting expect pannadhe thappillaya? :razz:

I don't know but i liked the film more seeing the extreme negative reactions, Kevin Costner notwithstanding.... Haven't seen "Last Of the Mohicans" and other "Indians"-based films... adhaan indha thread la ketten...

The movie won several oscars mainly because it was based on native americans. Oscar always appreciates those kind of movies because they are mostly liberals(democrats). When I came to this country I saw that movie because I am always interested in oscar winners in best picture category but the result after watching the dance with wolves was, not only headache but high fever also.

Sanjeevi
21st December 2009, 11:59 PM
நம்ம ஜேம்ஸ் கேமரூன் நம்ம புராணங்களையும், பாரம்பரிய கதைகளையும் படித்து அசந்திருப்பார் போல தெரிகிறது.

௧) கூடு விட்டு கூடு பாய்தல்,
௨) விஷ்ணுவோட நீல நிறம்
௩) கடவுள் அவதாரங்கள்
௪) ராமாயணம் வானரங்கள் (வால் சமாசாரம்)
௫) பறவை வாகன கடவுள்கள் (முருகன் & மயில்)
௬) விலங்கு வாகன கடவுள்கள் (துர்க்கை, பிள்ளையார் etc)
௭) மரங்களை வழிபடுதல்
௮) கடவுள்களிடம் நேரடியாக பேசும் நம்பிக்கை

௧, ௨, ௩ எல்லாம் தமிழ் எழுத்துங்கோ

tamizharasan
22nd December 2009, 12:03 AM
நம்ம ஜேம்ஸ் கேமரூன் நம்ம புராணங்களையும், பாரம்பரிய கதைகளையும் படித்து அசந்திருப்பார் போல தெரிகிறது.

௧) கூடு விட்டு கூடு பாய்தல்,
௨) விஷ்ணுவோட நீல நிறம்
௩) கடவுள் அவதாரங்கள்
௪) ராமாயணம் வானரங்கள் (வால் சமாசாரம்)
௫) பறவை வாகன கடவுள்கள் (முருகன் & மயில்)
௬) விலங்கு வாகன கடவுள்கள் (துர்க்கை, பிள்ளையார் etc)
௭) மரங்களை வழிபடுதல்
௮) கடவுள்களிடம் நேரடியாக பேசும் நம்பிக்கை

௧, ௨, ௩ எல்லாம் தமிழ் எழுத்துங்கோ

For sure he has read lot about hindu mytholgy. This movie is mixture hindy mythology and against the war principles. This movie will be definitely appreciated by oscar committe. But winning the oscar for best picture, not sure.

tamizharasan
22nd December 2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/52797.html

kid-glove
22nd December 2009, 12:12 AM
Haven't seen "Last Of the Mohicans"

Michael Mann-DDL film? Or the older one? If referred to Mann-DDL, highly recommended. Of course, there is a classic case of "excepting" here. By nature of nurture than birth/blood. DDL is amazing in the titular role, Hawkeye. 8-)

tamizharasan
22nd December 2009, 12:16 AM
weekend update from indian box office for avatar.

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/12/21/avatar-breaks-all-records-in-india-grosses-inr-220-million-in-opening-weekend-72321/

Bala (Karthik)
22nd December 2009, 01:10 AM
Haven't seen "Last Of the Mohicans"

Michael Mann-DDL film? Or the older one? If referred to Mann-DDL, highly recommended. Of course, there is a classic case of "excepting" here. By nature of nurture than birth/blood. DDL is amazing in the titular role, Hawkeye. 8-)
DDL dhaan, didn't know there was another version! Paathuranum

tamizharasan
22nd December 2009, 02:34 AM
According to the final number avatar collected 77 million dollars. That is 4 million dollars more than initial estimate. Very promising future is ahead.
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/decopenings.htm

groucho070
22nd December 2009, 06:52 AM
Grouch,

BTW, did you like the much maligned "Dances With Wolves"?Didn't care much for it, but got mega pissed when it beat Goodfellas at the Oscars :evil: I liked Last of The Mohicans, coz, well, I like Michael Mann and DDL, what great combinations they make.

By the way, I recall reading the same Queenan accusing Fenimore Cooper a racist, worst, James Clancy of his day :lol: Sari vidungga, athu vellaikaaranukkula piratchanai, namakkethukku :D

tamizharasan
22nd December 2009, 08:27 PM
Strong oscar buzz for avatar. As I said earlier liberal values in the movie will be loved by academy.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.thehollywoodreporter.com/avatar-poised-earn-several-oscar-noms

Avadi to America
22nd December 2009, 10:19 PM
Grouch,

BTW, did you like the much maligned "Dances With Wolves"?Didn't care much for it, but got mega pissed when it beat Goodfellas at the Oscars :evil: I liked Last of The Mohicans, coz, well, I like Michael Mann and DDL, what great combinations they make.

By the way, I recall reading the same Queenan accusing Fenimore Cooper a racist, worst, James Clancy of his day :lol: Sari vidungga, athu vellaikaaranukkula piratchanai, namakkethukku :D

Ennatho!!! :o :o DWL had beaten goodfellas in oscar....DWL is good for nothing movie and cmparing robert de niro acting in GF with kevin costner in DWL is utter pathetic....

Niro and Joe pecsi has great chemistry in movies like raging bull, goodfellas and casio...directed by martin....
I did not even like the movie Last of The Mohicans .....

tamizharasan
23rd December 2009, 02:28 AM
After posting the second biggest December opening in history, James Cameron's Avatar showed no signs of slowing as it grossed an astonishing $16.4M on Monday, a huge figure for a non-summer weekday. The Fox hit has now taken in an amazing $93.4M in just four days and will shatter the $100M mark in only five days.
The figure more than doubled the $7.5M that I Am Legend grossed in its first Monday in December of 2007. That film still holds the opening weekend record for the month with $77.2M but reached a smaller $84.7M in its first four days.

Overall, Avatar surged to the third largest non-holiday Monday ever behind only The Dark Knight's $24.5M and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest's $18.1M. Both of those were in July on the fourth day of release immediately following an all-time record-breaking opening weekend. They were also in the summer when all students were out of school. On Avatar's Monday, a very large share of students had no class but some were still in school. Normally, Monday would need to be Memorial Day or some other major holiday in order to post a gross like this.

The Pandora extravaganza is already showing strong legs and could finish its first full week of release in the neighborhod of $125M. Tuesday and Wednesday should continue to show strength while the entire marketplace is expected to soften on Thursday as Christmas Eve is always a slower day with many theaters closing early. But Cameron will not be waiting up for Santa as his gift (and a big sigh of relief) came early.

Get earlier box office updates and analysis by following BoxOfficeGuru.com on Twitter.

Check back on Wednesday for continued daily coverage of Avatar's opening week.

from box office guru.

venkkiram
24th December 2009, 08:48 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/hmg-avatar-hidden-messages.html

Does 'Avatar' Contain Hidden Messages?
by Brett Michael Dykes    December 23, 2009

Up in the Air Since it opened last week, James Cameron's much-anticipated film "Avatar" has won praise from movie critics and been a juggernaut at the box office. But some who have seen the film say that it contains hidden messages that are anti-war, pro-environment, and perhaps even racist.

For the benefit of those who haven't seen the film, a little nonspoiler background might be useful. The story is set in the year 2154 when Earth's inhabitants, having used up most of their natural resources through decades of living in excess, plan to use military force to conquer Pandora, a moon roughly the same size as Earth. Pandora, inhabited by a wise, peaceful, and nature-respecting people with blue skin called the Na'vi, is rich in a resource that the people of Earth desperately need.

The earthlings send in a crew of special-forces mercenaries armed with guns, bombs, and other sophisticated weaponry to attack and conquer the Na'vi (who some think resemble American Indians and Africans), despite the fact that they represent no direct threat to the inhabitants of Earth. Since humans can't breathe in Pandora's atmosphere, the military employs mind-controlled avatars that resemble the Na'vi in every way to venture out from their landing craft and explore the landscape. Sympathizing with the Na'vi after becoming acquainted with them and their customs, one of the human-controlled avatars becomes a turncoat and helps lead the people of Pandora in the defense of their homeland.

Are you beginning to get a sense of why some viewers noticed what they believe are underlying messages in the film?

Some prominent members of the media who screened the film certainly took note. In a glowing review for the Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert noted that "Avatar" "has a flat-out Green and anti-war message" that is "predestined to launch a cult." Meanwhile Ben Hoyle, writing in the Times of London, noted that the film "contains heavy implicit criticism of America's conduct in the War on Terror." Further, Will Heaven of the Daily Telegraph said that the plot line involving people of color who wear "tribal" jewelry while sporting dreadlocked hair, being saved by a noble white man gave the film a "racist subtext" that he found "nauseatingly patronising."

But are these hidden messages really all that hidden? James Cameron himself hasn't been shy in publicly proclaiming the fact that he's an environmental activist who believes that humans and "industrial society" are "causing a global climate change" and "destroying species faster than we can classify them." In a recent interview with PBS' Tavis Smiley, Cameron admitted that he made "obvious" references in the film to Iraq, Vietnam and the American colonial period to emphasize the fact that humans have a "terrible history" of "entitlement" in which we "take what we need" from nature and indigenous peoples "and don't give back."

Further, one of the film's stars Stephen Lang told CNN that he is "not surprised at all" that some people have taken note of the film's political messages, mainly because the central theme of humans "destroying" a "pristine world" out of "blindness and greed" is so "overt."

Despite the obvious political undertones in "Avatar," at least one right-leaning critic doesn't think people who disagree with the film's ideology should totally dismiss it. In his review on the website Hot Air, Ed Morrissey writes, "Conservatives have more or less primed themselves to hate this film because of the presumed anti-war politics of the movie. It's there -- in fact, it's unmistakable -- but it's not as bad as one might presume." He goes on to note that "Avatar" is "entertaining" though "hardly a deep intellectual exercise."

NOV
24th December 2009, 08:54 AM
watched again but this time in 3D
:shock: awe inspiring

first time 3D has been used to tell the story than merely being a gimmick.

cameron, truly a trendsetter.

groucho070
24th December 2009, 09:17 AM
watched again but this time in 3D
:shock: awe inspiring

first time 3D has been used to tell the story than merely being a gimmick.Longest feature film (Hollywood) in 3D? I think. Watching again this weekend :D

venkkiram
26th December 2009, 06:56 AM
Watched Avatar in IMAX -3D.

Wow..what a film it is..

Have to admit that Avatar Redefines Movie Experiences.

A dozen years later, James Cameron has proven his point: He is king of the world.

'Avatar' simply leaves me spellbound! certainly blown me away !!

The Terminator, First Blood Part II, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies , Titanic , Avatar ...

James Cameron - இது போன்ற கலைஞன் வாழும் காலத்தில் வாழ்வதே பெருமைதான்.

pavalamani pragasam
26th December 2009, 08:10 AM
A beautiful fantasy! After 'My dear kutti saaththaan' my 2nd 3-D movie experience! Loved the innocent worshippers of Eiwah!

venkkiram
26th December 2009, 07:12 PM
திரைப்பார்வை: அவதார் (http://www.tamilhindu.com/2009/12/avatar_review/)

-- அரவிந்தன் நீலகண்டன்

venkkiram
27th December 2009, 10:18 AM
Some interesting Trivia:

The Na'vi language was created entirely from scratch by linguist Paul Frommer, who was hired by James Cameron to construct a language that was easily pronounceable by the actors, but lacking any resemblance or influence from any single human language. Around 500 words were created.

Director Trademark: [James Cameron] [feet] Close-up of Jake's feet when he moves them around in the soil.

Avatars have five fingers or toes on their hand or foot, whereas the Na'vi only have four.

The Thai version of movie translates the word "Marine" into "Navi". (The Thai word for Marine is actually "Na-vig-ga-yo-tin", but to make voice over synced, the translator shortened it to "Navi".) So in Thai, Jake Sully is a "Navi" who becomes a "Na'vi".

The spiral-shaped, retracting creatures that Jake encounters early in the film are giant versions of Christmas Tree Worms, a marine invertebrate which is commonly kept in reef aquariums.

Even though the year the movie takes place is never stated, scenes of Jake Sully recording his video log show that the year is 2154.

Sanjeevi
27th December 2009, 10:57 AM
avatar is slowly writing its name in box office books. Opening was not a record breaker mainly because of snow season.

kid-glove
27th December 2009, 11:31 AM
innum pakkala...:lol2:

steveaustin
27th December 2009, 11:58 AM
Scorching BO: It's 'Avatar' (http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/53018.html)

Smelling ginormous business opportunity for visually spectacular films in India, Fox Star Studios India decided to release James Cameron's magnum opus Avatar in a big way, with a whopping 700 prints in English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil on the 18th. Their estimations came true, when, by the weekend, the film reportedly grossed an unimaginable Rs. 22 cr. for a Hollywood film in the country. Latest reports indicate that the film has collected Rs. 40 cr. by the day before Christmas. No surprise, given the fact that the film has collected Rs. 1,900 cr. around the world in its first week.

The science-fiction wonder, overtaking even the apocalyptic giant film 2012, scorched the Indian movie market for well over a week in four languages, despite the presence of many much-awaited films in the fray, like Paa, 3 Idiots, Rocket Singh in Hindi and many more regional films.

If the film is a wonder, it's box office performance is an equally wonderful opportunity for the exhibitors and buyers of Hollywood bonanzas. The film, while throwing up a hint that the audience are ready to patronise visual flourish, also tells that along with Bollywood, Tollywood, Kollywood and Mollywood (Kerala), Hollywood business is something to reckon with from this year. Two films, 2012 and this, opening to flabbergasting run in multiplexes and single-screen theatres, is one of the finest factoids of year 2009.

great
27th December 2009, 03:25 PM
I have watched this movie, pretty good. Special effects are awesome.

venkkiram
28th December 2009, 07:13 AM
நடிகை ஸால்டானா அவதார் படத்தில் இளவரசி நெய்த்ரியாக..

AVATAR - Neytiri Featurette (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJKxcbcvxa4&feature=related)

ஸால்டானாவின் நிஜ முகமே படத்தில் வரவில்லை என வருத்தப் படுவதா இல்லை, நெய்திரியாக ஒரு புதிய அழகியின் முகத்தை அறிமுகம் செய்ததைக் கண்டு சந்தோஷப்படுவதா..

tamizharasan
28th December 2009, 09:29 AM
At end of avatar's run, cameroon is going to own top two blockbusters of all time in worldwide box office collections.

Excellent hold going into second weekend.

Vivasaayi
28th December 2009, 03:54 PM
Great movie.

Especially the second half of the movie - fascinating.First half konjam exhibition maadhirithan irundhuchu.

Reviewers mentioned abt the lack of emotional quotient - idhukku mela oru fictionla enna emotional quotient thevai?...particularly the romance between the lead was pretty good.

over hype konjam korachirukalam.Defining moment etc etc nu over build up kuduthutainga.

IMO Matrix(fiction with slightly similar plotline) maadhiri nethiyadi movienu solla mudiyadhu..but thoroughly enjoyable movie.

venkkiram
31st December 2009, 08:20 AM
Leona Lewis - I see you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQ7Eglz5QU&feature=related)

Lost myself in her sweet voice!

venkkiram
31st December 2009, 08:33 AM
நல்லதொரு முயற்சி (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnVS_Oj_pY&feature=related)

லியோனாவின் தனிப்பாடல் ஒருவேளை டூயட்டாக இருந்திருந்தால் எப்படியெல்லாம் இருந்திருக்கும் என்ற எனது சின்ன சின்ன ஆசையை நிறைவெற்றி வைத்த இந்த இளைஞருக்கு வாழ்த்துக்கள்.

லியோனாவின் ஆர்ப்பரிக்கும் குரலுடன் இவரது குரல் நன்றாகவே பொருந்தி வந்திருக்கிறது.

kid-glove
3rd January 2010, 12:24 PM
Onnum perusa illa..

The film seemed like a game. :lol2: Ironically, realistic console games are striving to be closer to movie-like narrative structures. In fact, Games offer multiple timelines and/or multiple ways by which a story could end. Sooner or later, it will catch up with this kind of action/adventure/Sci-fi films. To go above this, the genre films should fully explore the content a bit more. But rather unfortunately, Avatar seems more conscious about form than content. Which isn't a bad thing, with a visual feast put on by James Cameroon. Very Colorful planet this, Pandora. It leaves audience with doe-eyed wonderment. :)

ajithfederer
3rd January 2010, 12:36 PM
Matter over!! Panjayathu mudinju pochu ellarum poitu vaanga :).

Onnum perusa illa..

The film seemed like a game. :lol2:

Sid_316
3rd January 2010, 02:42 PM
Onnum perusa illa..

The film seemed like a game.

:lol: :lol:

Sanjeevi
3rd January 2010, 03:02 PM
James Cameron does it again. Avatar is doing magic in box office. Except the opening records it is rewriting records officially :)

Avatar critics should stick their heads in the sand :lol2:

MADDY
3rd January 2010, 10:18 PM

i thot we need to stick our heads into some glass to watch it, now it is sand?? padam eppadinga theriyum?? GM: dei, idhu dhaan vignyanam

JK, Sanjeevi, are you trying to understand what the criticism on Avtar is about? do you have any response to it?? i thot vikki made a interesting point abt movie being emotional - atleast that point aims to address at criticisms........and no one should have a doubt for its BO success - i havent got tickets yet :D

ajithfederer
3rd January 2010, 10:56 PM
soreenga sanjeevi saar :lol2:.

James Cameron does it again. Avatar is doing magic in box office. Except the opening records it is rewriting records officially :)

ajithfederer
3rd January 2010, 10:59 PM
Disagree matrix was a superior film both in plot and production wise and the movie was highly entertaining. The sequels were murkier but the first film is pure genius.

What is there to be called as a plot in this film for the first place :huh:.

IMO Matrix(fiction with slightly similar plotline) maadhiri nethiyadi movienu solla mudiyadhu..but thoroughly enjoyable movie.

sathya_1979
3rd January 2010, 10:59 PM
Me the planning to watch this week, will try and write a detailed review (Review writing, blogging etc ellaam enakku pudhusu, try senju paappom).

ajithfederer
3rd January 2010, 11:01 PM
Idhellam dhaan ippo ilaignargaloda kalachaaram. :twisted:

(Review writing, blogging etc ellaam enakku pudhusu, try senju paappom).

sathya_1979
3rd January 2010, 11:05 PM
Ippo ilaignargaloda kalaachaaram enakku pudhusunnaa, naan ungalavida (If you fall into that ilaignargal category) chinna paiyyandhaan :D.

ajithfederer
3rd January 2010, 11:08 PM
:lol:. I was jk.

Sanjeevi
3rd January 2010, 11:12 PM
Maddy, af - summa pogira pOkkula sollitten :lol:

I see a terrific methodology avatar team has followed and got triumph. I mean releasing a movie in 2D and 3D simultaneously and at the same both have fair count of screens. Those who have watched the film in 2D want to watch the same movie in 3D also :cry2:.

They particularly did this or not, but the methodology has given a great output in BO.

adaey namma producer pasangala note pannungada note pannunga.

And avatar has boosted thirudi films again and will we see many 3Ds in future :roll:. yaaravathu tamil masala padam 3D-la edungappa :P :frightened:

sathya_1979
3rd January 2010, 11:14 PM
Feddy, jk? Pureela (Marubadiyum proving that Iyaam chinna paiyyan :D)

ajithfederer
3rd January 2010, 11:29 PM
hallo i the yenngg here.

Matter onnum perusa illa freeaa viduvom,

tamizharasan
4th January 2010, 01:03 AM
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/blockbusters.htm

Already in 15th place with lot more to come. Worldwide box office collection already crossed billion dollar mark. In worldwide box office collections it will be definitely in the top 2 by end of its run and domesticwise it will be definitely in top3 by end of its run. If it wins academy awards then it will take its collections very close to titanic.

NOV
4th January 2010, 06:07 AM
If it wins academy awards then it will take its collections very close to titanic.guaranteed to win not one, but several awards. WnS :D

P_R
4th January 2010, 07:53 AM
oru thadavai paakkalaam

tamizharasan
4th January 2010, 08:06 AM
If it wins academy awards then it will take its collections very close to titanic.guaranteed to win not one, but several awards. WnS :D
I talked about best picture award. Chances are still there. Because academy loves green and anti-war strategy in the movie. Academy supports liberal policies completely.

VENKIRAJA
4th January 2010, 11:56 AM
oru thadavai paakkalaam

edhirpArthEn

P_R
4th January 2010, 12:09 PM
oru thadavai paakkalaamedhirpArthEn
:lol2:

Liberal propaganda kosu thollai, disney type kood-bad characterization etc. meant the only the film can be liked for is its visual appeal/wonder. On that count, this one did not top my experience of watching Jurassic Park as a kit.

Made for 3d ellAm remba over hype. Imagine the guns-scene in Matrix in 3D that would have been the definition of 3D.

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 02:28 PM
Purely Disney stuff. Mythological fairy tale with methodical moments. All that money and they couldn't hire a good script writer. Visual gimmicks made it interesting. Visual images are developed well. The mysterious shapes and colors of the planet. That's about it. Cliched story line and full of cliched moments, as I said, seemed like a console game that you'd play at PS3 or xbox.

I don't rate Star wars that highly but green screen CGI thing had influenced cinema. I don't think Avatar would be influential. At all. Even if it had just kindled an interest in 3-D. 3-D is not a good idea IMO. We will see films with FORM but NO CONTENT. That's the worst thing that could happen to cinema IMO. So if at all it becomes influential, it will be for the bad things.

Although in Ideal world, one could expect Sci-fi films with better scripts going to follow the 3-d route and build on Avatar's success. Although it's very unlikely IMO.

T-II for example, is a Great philum. It had many amazing moments and excellent effects for the time. And to back it up, a complex and intelligent narrative. But right now, you're going to spend that kind of money, you tend to make, more or less, a kids movie. Avatar is a kids movie. :cry:

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 02:30 PM
Worst thing happening is the marketing thing. Like the Disney animations, they try all the ways they could, to rake up money.

Release both 2-D and 3-D simultaneously. Those who got to watch 2-D will have to turn up for 3-D.

Release a game for all consoles/platforms.

then in future, they might release a DVD with many special features and extras. But in a week, they would come up with Blu-ray.

that's the way to do it. There's a pixar way or there is a DISNEY way. This is Disney stuff. From pre-production to release strategy. :thumbsup:

Plum
4th January 2010, 02:56 PM
Just a doubt. Did Cameroon actually spend 12 years conceptualising and making this movie?
( Have no intentions of watching it.
Cameroon: <Tech innovation 1> <Dazzling graphics 2> etc etc. Ippo enna solra?
Me: idhukkellAm evanyA padam pArpAn
No offence to fans.
)

Vivasaayi
4th January 2010, 04:25 PM
af,

thats what Im also mentioning.Matrix is far far suprior movie to this movie - nethiyadi movie ku adhaana artham?

regarding similarity in plot.

Matrix deals with a person "Neo" who is the saviour of the human race from the Agents/Robots - He saves them at last by achieving enlightenment about the non existence of anything around him - In short "neo" can be called as an Avatar.He was believed to be the "one" who saves the world and he does it atlast thru enlightenment.

Coming to Avatar - Hero a guy who was destined to save the people on pandora.There are many references to it in the movie starting from the divine insects surrounding him to the big dragon coming under his control.The name even suggests it - The avatar.Atlast he gets into his own world leaving behind the dream(he says at a point of time he couldnt identify which is dream and which is real) - can match it to matrix - everything in the matrix world is sort of a dream and neo wakes them up from their dream.

A bit far fetched may be - But I thought atleast the saviour part was similar.

And also the shift between two worlds

Disagree matrix was a superior film both in plot and production wise and the movie was highly entertaining. The sequels were murkier but the first film is pure genius.

What is there to be called as a plot in this film for the first place :huh:.

P_R
4th January 2010, 04:45 PM

Eh ? adhukkAga mattum dhaaan pArthEn.
And it was quite 'satisfactory'.

Don't go expecting a Matrix. If you don't like that, then don't go expecting a Jurassic Park. If you don't like that either, then don't go.

Plum
4th January 2010, 04:49 PM

Eh ? adhukkAga mattum dhaaan pArthEn.
And it was quite 'satisfactory'.

Don't go expecting a Matrix. If you don't like that, then don't go expecting a Jurassic Park. If you don't like that either, then don't go.

The key word is "me". Jurassic Park was ok. Matrix I havent seen :embarassed:. Yeah, I am not planning to watch it - and since apparently there is no point in watching it on small screen, I guess I'll never catch this one.

Vivasaayi
4th January 2010, 04:50 PM
It was far more entertaining than Lord of the Rings for me.

kid-glove
4th January 2010, 04:51 PM
It was no better than Peter Jackson's King Kong, let alone LOTR. But that's just me. :)

Vivasaayi
4th January 2010, 04:53 PM
It was no better than Peter Jackson's King Kong, let alone LOTR. But that's just me. :)

Btw,I watched LOTR in small screen - infact Laptop screen. :oops:

so couldnt comment further.

Aalavanthan
4th January 2010, 05:00 PM
Its definitely entertaining. We have seen these characterization, dying father saying " herez my bow" and the hero screaming at his people " this is our land" .. But this movie is all about the graphics and the whole new world that have been created.. There are obvious traces of Dinosaurs kind of species but to create it and bring it to the big screen should be applauded.

For once, the audience and the directors have supported Aliens and not the human race.

I think this is the first of its kind for 3d movies to feature action sequences. 3d has been used for comical, animated (funny) characters but not for the machine guns and the helicopters.. I think the action movies in the near future, will be released in 3d as well to give the best output.

As far as the BO, I have never seen any movie (probably except James Bond) to be running jam packed during the weekends after 3weeks of release. All the 5 shows on saturday here were occupied and I managed to get the ticket for the late show at 9 pm.

I am going for the second view tomorrow :D

tamizharasan
4th January 2010, 09:03 PM
In worldwide collection this movie will be second biggest next week. Domestically also it is predicted to be atleast second best in few weeks of time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i6ad645d17ccf55b7d958e4efd82df226

Having sold out shows in third weekend is not normal in USA. This movie still has sold out shows for 3d version. Way to go.

Sanjeevi
4th January 2010, 10:40 PM
From the comments section of above link

* the story is not as flat as people have announced before, because they didn't understand it. Just amazing to see how these creatures interact with the nature, we humans never learned this until now

* It is a sci-fi/action film with a good plot that is easy to follow

I agree with above points

tamizharasan
4th January 2010, 11:56 PM
From the comments section of above link

* the story is not as flat as people have announced before, because they didn't understand it. Just amazing to see how these creatures interact with the nature, we humans never learned this until now

* It is a sci-fi/action film with a good plot that is easy to follow

I agree with above points

There is no need to say this. People who have appreciated this movie appreciated the plot also even though it is thin. I am seeing more criticism for this movie here than anywhere else. This movie is still a strong oscar contender for many categories.

tamizharasan
5th January 2010, 12:30 AM
Avatar is the front-runner for best picture oscar this year.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11-awards-campaign-2009/posts/contender-countdown-avatar-jumps-to-the-front-of-the-best-picture-line

ajithfederer
5th January 2010, 12:37 AM
Ok. We are on the same page.

af,

thats what Im also mentioning.Matrix is far far suprior movie to this movie - nethiyadi movie ku adhaana artham?

This link didn't strike me. Thanks for pointing it out.

regarding similarity in plot.

Matrix deals with a person "Neo" who is the saviour of the human race from the Agents/Robots - He saves them at last by achieving enlightenment about the non existence of anything around him - In short "neo" can be called as an Avatar.He was believed to be the "one" who saves the world and he does it atlast thru enlightenment.

Coming to Avatar - Hero a guy who was destined to save the people on pandora.There are many references to it in the movie starting from the divine insects surrounding him to the big dragon coming under his control.The name even suggests it - The avatar. Atlast he gets into his own world leaving behind the dream(he says at a point of time he couldnt identify which is dream and which is real) - can match it to matrix - everything in the matrix world is sort of a dream and neo wakes them up from their dream.

A bit far fetched may be - But I thought atleast the saviour part was similar.

I felt that this was right out from The Matrix.

And also the shift between two worlds

venkkiram
5th January 2010, 06:26 AM
'Avatar': The Best 3-D Movie Ever - Technically

"Avatar" could indeed light the way to fresh, uncharted territory for filmmaking and entertainment thanks to its groundbreaking special effects and 3-D technologies -- but that's not necessarily a good thing.

The best way to explain that is to go see writer-director James Cameron's new blockbuster in a 3-D IMAX theater. (Before you scream "Duh!" at your PC, hear me out). As you settle down with your popcorn and drink to watch this 160-minute adventure, pay close attention to the 3-D previews of other movies vying for your leisure-time dollars next year. In the IMAX theater I was in for a midnight Thursday screening of "Avatar," I was treated to a massive, grinning Cheshire Cat head that appeared to float inches from my face, thanks to director Tim Burton's revisionist version of "Alice In Wonderland."

Dreamworks' idea of a scary-yet-cute dragon flew right at me in the studio's trailer for "How to Train Your Dragon." And of course, the lovable and hygiene-challenged ogre Shrek is back in "Shrek Forever After," and there he was towering over me in all his green glory.

The point bludgeoned into me during these trailers was that 3-D was going to be used for 3-D's sake in all three films. Objects and characters are going to be shot at the audience as they have been since "Bwana Devil," "House of Wax" and the dawn of 3-D in the 1950s. The only exception was a preview for a new IMAX documentary, "Hubble 3-D;" an image of the space telescope appearing to stretch out into the movie theater from the screen, with Earth in the background, was truly breathtaking.

Otherwise, it was 3-D business as usual.
Less Is More

Not so with "Avatar." Cameron, who has basically reinvented both motion-capture special effects and the way a 3-D movie is shot on location, uses the technology in a much less intrusive way. Yet it somehow seems to enhance the visual pleasures of this truly amazing film. It may seem weird to use the phrase "less is more" to describe a movie that has been written about as the most expensive ever made, with many more millions spent on marketing Download Free eBook - The Edge of Success: 9 Building Blocks to Double Your Sales it. However, when compared to other ballyhooed 3-D movies like "The Polar Express," "Avatar" is actually more artistically subtle in its use of technology, if you can believe that.

There's plenty of action in "Avatar" -- hey, it's James Cameron -- but much of the coolness quotient in the movie comes from exploring the lush, tropical paradise that is the planet Pandora. Small, luminescent jellyfish-type creatures drift in the air; very tiny bits of alien trees and vines fall from the top of the screen to the bottom. You notice them at first because they stand out in that 3-D way, and then you get used to them as if you were actually walking the forests of the planet.

What's not good about all this? It's my fear that other filmmakers without Cameron's sense of artistry and restraint will take his technology and use it in the same old way, which means audiences are in for more headache-inducing, in-your-face films. There's technology, and then there's storytelling, and "Avatar" beautifully fuses the two into a grand-scale entertainment.
Old-Fashioned Thrills in New Wrappings

Granted, "Avatar's" plot and dialogue could have used some rebooting. This tale of a paralyzed American space soldier given a chance to walk again as a member of an alien race called the "Na'vi," which makes Pandora its home, has elements of other, more original movies in its DNA -- "Dances With Wolves" being mentioned the most in reviews. The idea of a warrior going native, however, has yet to be explored in this much detail in a sci-fi setting, so I give Cameron a pass for that. There's also plenty of talk about the anti-military, pro-environment themes in the film.

Some of the other quibbles lie in my theory that it's been 12 years since Cameron has written a screenplay and directed actors, so it's probably rustiness that gives us 1980s-era lines like, "Yeah, who's bad?" spoken by the movie's hero, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), as he's standing up to a particularly threatening Pandora beast with the head of a hammerhead shark and the body of a triceratops.

You can liken Cameron's need to update his storytelling software to the scene where Sully is transported into the body of his 10-foot-tall, blue-skinned "avatar" for the first time, and he discovers he can use his legs again. He's understandably wobbly at first, and Cameron's adjusting as well. However, that very scene also shows a Cameron quality that sci-fi fans have missed all this time: his mastery of special effects in the service of his story. The newly mobile Jake runs out of the medical lab after his transition to Na'vi and outside into his sunlit new world. James Horner's music, the expressions on Jake's computer-generated face, a shot of him digging his Na'vi toes into the dirt -- all of it is concise, compelling cinema language.

Cameron's new "performance capture" technology -- an improvement on the motion-capture science used in "Polar Express" and "Lord of the Rings" -- lets Worthington and the others portraying Na'vi actually act while pretending to be giant blue creatures. They may look like cats crossed with foxes spliced with really tall, exceptionally fit humans, but you can still tell it's Worthington under all that computer-generated wizardry. This is especially true for Zoe Saldana, who is cast as Neytiri, Jake's love interest and another in an long, influential line of strong female Cameron characters. Neytiri is given some of the few opportunities for true character development in the film, and she rises to the occasion.

It's especially impressive when you consider that Saldana did all that emoting with a small performance-capture camera strapped to her head, as detailed in a recent Wired magazine article. The camera allowed the film's special effects magicians to get around dead eyes and leap the so-called "uncanny valley" -- the perception of CG-created humans looking a tad creepy, like they did in "Polar Express."

These CG-built Na'vi interact with humans, show fear, anger and love, and get to make inspiring speeches to rally the natives. As I mentioned, it wouldn't be a Cameron movie without first-rate action set-pieces, and there's a doozy of a battle sequence near the film's end. Next-century military airships go up against Na'vi bows and spears, but the Na'vi are riding huge bat-winged creatures that cling to cliffsides on massive floating mountains, swooping down to make their attacks from above.

Because of the film's immersive technology, you get to ride along with them. It may have been a while since Cameron has picked up a camera, but he's still got the touch. "Avatar" spins old-school storytelling with next-level technologies, and the result is one of the few times when you'll feel like a US$15 3-D IMAX ticket was totally worth the price of admission.

'Avatar': The Best 3-D Movie Ever - Technically (http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/68947.html)

NOV
5th January 2010, 06:33 AM
Titanic - $1.8 bil
LOTR (RoK) - $1.13 bil
Pirates of C (DMC) - $1.06 bil
Dark Knight - $1.0 bil

These are the films that have collected $1 billion and more.

Avatar now joins this prestigious list and has so far collected $1.02 bil in 17 days.

venkkiram
5th January 2010, 11:27 PM
விமர்சனப் பண்டிதர்கள் என்னவேணாலும் சொல்லிவிட்டு போகட்டும்.

இது ஜேம்ஸ் கேமரூன் படைப்பு.

The Terminator , Aliens , The Abyss , Terminator 2: Judgment Day , Titanic போன்ற படைப்புக்களைக் கொடுத்தவர் என்ற நம்பிக்கையில் மட்டுமே சென்றேன். எதிர்பார்த்ததை விட இரு மடங்கு நிறைவு.

படைப்பில் இழையோடும் கருத்தாக்கம் மிக அருமை.

நெடிய மரம் வீழும் போது கண்ணில் நீர் தட்டியது. ஒரு மரத்திற்காக நான் கலங்கியது இதுதான் முதல் முறை.

அடுத்தது நேத்ரி - அவதார் பாத்திரப் படைப்பில் காணப்படும் நேசம்.

இறுதிக் காட்சியில் நேத்ரி அவதாரின் உண்மையான உடலை மடியில் வைத்து "I see you!" என நெகிழும் காட்சி, அது ஒன்று போதும் கேமரூனை நான் தேர்ந்த படைப்பாளி என உரக்கச் சொல்ல. இந்தக் காட்சியை அவர் வைக்கவேண்டிய அவசியமே இல்லை. அந்த ஒரு காட்சி படத்தில் இல்லாமல் இருந்தாலும் படைப்பின் ஓட்டத்தில் ஒரு தாழ்வும் இருக்காது. இருந்தாலும் அந்தக் காட்சியின் வழி, இருவரது காதலை அடுத்த நிலைக்கு எடுத்துச் சென்று புனிதப்படுத்துகிறாரே அதுதான் என் மனதில் கேமரூனை உயர்ந்த இடத்தில் வைக்கிறது.

அறிவியல் புனைவு படைப்பாக இருந்தாலும் அதிலும் ஆத்மார்த்தமான கதையை நிறுவி ஜீவனை உலவ விட்டிருப்பதால் மட்டுமே உலகத்தில் பரந்து கிடக்கும் வெகுஜன மக்களை ஒரு குடைக்குள் கொண்டு வருவது சாத்தியமாகிறது.

கேமரூன் - You are "The KING of the WORLD"

tamizharasan
5th January 2010, 11:53 PM
Avatar is the first film in the last 13 years to have realistic chance of beating Titanic's worldwide collections according to experts.

James Cameron will then own the two biggest worldwide blockbusters in motion picture history with Titanic and Avatar grossing $3 billion in combined ticket sales as of next weekend with much more to come. Globally, his latest megahit could soar to $1.5 billion or more and may even try to challenge the $1.835 billion of Jack and Rose.

venkkiram
6th January 2010, 07:41 AM
Avatar' grosses Rs. 70 cr. in India (http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/53276.html)

James Cameron's film continues to rule the Indian box office, with only way behind the Aamir Khan-starrer '3 Idiots' in terms of collections and records. The film has surpassed the records of Titanic and the recent 2012 in a matter of just 3 weeks. If Titanic had collected Rs. 55 cr. more than a decade ago, Avatar has been able to cross the mark in just 10 days!

If the figures are flabbergasting, the global collections are already pegged at $1 billion. Coming to the local market, the Telugu version of the sci-fi extravaganza has collected Rs. 15 cr. already. Which means that the film is making records like a mainstream Telugu film, starring our talent.

With the film's national market far exceeding that of a film starring a Salman or Akshya, Avatar's staggering performance is simply flabbergasting to the observers.

However, the question some of them are asking is whether this should be a cause of worry for our filmmakers. Does it mean that Hollywood has grown tremendously, as never seen before in its long history in India? Will its films be capable of turning the fate of our vapid releases upside down, if they are released alongside on, say, the same Friday?

P_R
6th January 2010, 11:35 AM
பண்டிதர்கள்
neenga oruthar dhaan baakki irundheenga :lol2:

ajithfederer
6th January 2010, 11:39 AM
Annan venkiram can talk in length about sachin tendulkar getting adelaide mom and Kamal haasan being sidelined by Mohan lal. Idhuvae naanga Avatar(that too one's reviews) pathi pesinomna pandithargal. Medhavigal etc etc :lol2:.

Bala (Karthik)
6th January 2010, 11:58 AM
கேமரூன்
Shabbaaaa.. mudiyala... azhudhuduven!

kid-glove
6th January 2010, 12:02 PM
Great team. Love them. Indomitable lions. :smokesmirk:

groucho070
6th January 2010, 12:14 PM

Bala (Karthik)
6th January 2010, 12:19 PM
Great team. Love them. Indomitable lions. :smokesmirk:

Perhaps they should call the film Avadhooru? :twisted:

P_R
6th January 2010, 12:28 PM
http://twitpic.com/wt1lk

via twit happy minister Tharoor

venkkiram
6th January 2010, 05:50 PM
Annan venkiram can talk in length about sachin tendulkar getting adelaide mom and Kamal haasan being sidelined by Mohan lal. Idhuvae naanga Avatar(that too one's reviews) pathi pesinomna pandithargal. Medhavigal etc etc :lol2:.

அஜித் சார்,

அடிலெய்டு ஆட்ட நாயகன் விருதில் நடந்த அரசியலைத்தான் விமர்சனம் செய்தேன்.

அடிலெய்டுவிற்கும் அவதாருக்கும் எப்படி போடப்பட்டது முடிச்சி?

மேதாவி என்ற பதத்தை நான் உபயோகப்படுத்தவில்லை. பண்டிதர் என்றால் என் அகராதியில் விமர்சனர்களை உயர்ந்த இடத்தில் வைப்பதாகவே கருதப்படுகிறது. மேதாவி அப்படி அல்ல.

Plum
6th January 2010, 05:56 PM

அஜித் சார்,

அடிலெய்டு ஆட்ட நாயகன் விருதில் நடந்த அரசியலைத்தான் விமர்சனம் செய்தேன்.

அடிலெய்டுவிற்கும் அவதாருக்கும் எப்படி போடப்பட்டது முடிச்சி?

மேதாவி என்ற பதத்தை நான் உபயோகப்படுத்தவில்லை. பண்டிதர் என்றால் என் அகராதியில் விமர்சனர்களை உயர்ந்த இடத்தில் வைப்பதாகவே கருதப்படுகிறது. மேதாவி அப்படி அல்ல.

Adelaide Manof the match-A? I was wondering Sachin-ku adelaide-la vEra oru Mom irukkAngaLA - enna idhu biological kozhappam-nu :lol:

venkkiram
6th January 2010, 08:10 PM
கேமரூன்
Shabbaaaa.. mudiyala... azhudhuduven!

:D will avoid going forward mentioning non-tamizh names in tamizh.

Sanjeevi
6th January 2010, 10:59 PM
superb :lol:

http://twitpic.com/wt1lk

kid-glove
6th January 2010, 11:28 PM
Didn't I know. Didn't I just know.. :)

Purely Disney stuff. Mythological fairy tale with methodical moments. All that money and they couldn't hire a good script writer. Visual gimmicks made it interesting. Visual images are developed well. The mysterious shapes and colors of the planet. That's about it. Cliched story line and full of cliched moments, as I said, seemed like a console game that you'd play at PS3 or xbox.

I don't rate Star wars that highly but green screen CGI thing had influenced cinema. I don't think Avatar would be influential. At all. Even if it had just kindled an interest in 3-D. 3-D is not a good idea IMO. We will see films with FORM but NO CONTENT. That's the worst thing that could happen to cinema IMO. So if at all it becomes influential, it will be for the bad things.

Although in Ideal world, one could expect Sci-fi films with better scripts going to follow the 3-d route and build on Avatar's success. Although it's very unlikely IMO.

T-II for example, is a Great philum. It had many amazing moments and excellent effects for the time. And to back it up, a complex and intelligent narrative. But right now, you're going to spend that kind of money, you tend to make, more or less, a kids movie. Avatar is a kids movie. :cry:

Worst thing happening is the marketing thing. Like the Disney animations, they try all the ways they could, to rake up money.

Release both 2-D and 3-D simultaneously. Those who got to watch 2-D will have to turn up for 3-D.

Release a game for all consoles/platforms.

then in future, they might release a DVD with many special features and extras. But in a week, they would come up with Blu-ray.

that's the way to do it. There's a pixar way or there is a DISNEY way. This is Disney stuff. From pre-production to release strategy. :thumbsup:

tamizharasan
7th January 2010, 01:12 AM
Criticisms for very highly successful movies like Avatar is very normal. We have to take it in right spirit.

venkkiram
7th January 2010, 01:54 AM
Criticisms for very highly successful movies like Avatar is very normal. We have to take it in right spirit.

100% true.

tamizharasan
7th January 2010, 08:55 PM
Avatar has now overtaken Lord of the Rings Return of the king as No. 2 all time worldwide grosser with lot more to come.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/intl.htm
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/intlarch4.htm

Title International Domestic Worldwide Gross As Of: % Foreign % Domestic

LOTR: The Return of the King 741.9 377.0 1118.9 8/1/04 66.3% 33.7%

Avatar 760.0 374.4 1134.4 1/6/10 67.0% 33.0%

tamizharasan
11th January 2010, 03:41 AM
Avatar magic run continues at box office. With current rate even without oscar nominatins and wins this movie is likely to come close to titanic collections.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/avatar.htm

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/wwblockbusters.htm

After seeing avatar movie and collections, I suspect that the planet called pandora does exist and cameroon releases his movies in that planet since titanic, otherwise how is it possible for his movies alone to collect 70% more that other rivals movies in worldwide box office. :)

Domestically titanic record may stay if avatar does not win any oscar awards but on worldwide collections avatar is set to takeover as the new king of box office.

Aalavanthan
11th January 2010, 03:51 PM
I went for the second viewing with my family on saturday and it was housefull on the weekend shows. I went to book for 7 pm show and the next show at 9 pm was already declared FULL. btw, 7 pm show-vae naan 2nd row from screen thaan paarthaen :(

pradheep
12th January 2010, 12:07 AM
Here is a review with a message about avatar movie.

http://matrixjourney.com/avatar.htm

ajaybaskar
12th January 2010, 02:35 PM
[tscii:a553c9a1cf]Hi All,

JUS A FW!!!!
What is the Talk of Town now? Whats the whole world is talking about? Be it Media, Newspapers, TV, Blogs, BB, your friends circle, everybody is talking about one and only one thing. - A V A T A R

Avatar is named as the "Movie of the millennium" and the top ranker in imdb list. Even the critics are all praise to this movie. Each one is praising Cameroon to the sky. But would you kill me if i say AVATAR is the Hollywood version of an old Malayalam Movie? (This movie was remade in Tamil with the same name starring Prabhu!)

Yes. Avatar is the Hollywood version of an old Malayalam movie. A Mohanlal starrer, Siddique-Lal directed, movie called VIETNAM COLONY!!!

Now wipe out the "What the Fa" expression from your face and lend me your ears.

After 15 minutes into the movie I realized that, AVATAR is VIETNAM COLONY RELOADED

To start of with, let me give you and Intro about Vietnam Colony, if you have no clue about it. This is an old malayalam movie which was released when i was a kid. The story line is based on a colony named as Vietnam Colony, where only gundas, goons, and below poverty line people lives. This colony is situated in the centre of the place and a construction company owns this colony. But the residents are not willing to vacate the place as they dont have any other place to go. Then the company makes a smart move by sending one person (Mohan Lal) to the colony, to be one among them and to tactfully vacate the people. But knowing the reality and by empathizing on the poor residents over there, the Man who was sent by the company, stands for the colony people and fight back against the company.

Striking something? Not Yet? Now replace the Vietnam Colony and the poor residents as the people in Pandoras World. Replace the construction company folks as those scientists. Replace Mohanlal as the Hero of Avatar. Now you got it.

In Avatar, the hero (sorry , i dono his name) goes to Pandoras world standing for the scientists and be one among the residents. Later on he realizes the value of their existence and fight back against the ones who had sent him. There are plenty of scenes matching with Vietnam colony.

In the beginning, grace would tell the hero that she was looking for his brother and have no confidence that he would finish the mission. Similarly, in VC, Construction Company first doubts about the talent of Lal and worry if he could evacuate the gunds and other localites from their place.

In VC, When Mohanlal Reaches the colony, at first, he would have an argument with the Auto Rickshaw guy regarding the fare. The Auto guy tries to indulge in a fist fight with Lal. Then the Main Rowdy of Colony, Rauthar, comes and stand behind Lal. Seeing him, the Auto guy would flee and Lal thinks that the Auto guy got scared of him only and when he turns back, he would see the gunda standing behind him. Similarly in Avatar, when they are in the Pandora’s world for the first time, an Elephant kinda creature tries to attack the hero and flee by seeing a much bigger animal behind him. Hero thinks the elephant got scared by him and when he turns back he see a much more bigger creature.

In VC, the person who had been sent by the company falls in love with a girl of the colony. Similarly in Avatar, he fall for a girl from the Pandora’s world. At one point of time, the slum people realize that he is a person from the construction company and attacks Lal. Then the girl comes for his help. Similarly in Avatar, tsu tey tries to kill the hero and it’s the girl who saves the hero.

In VC, during the climax, Lal gets back to the company and tell that he is no more working for them and then the company people comes to the colony. At the climax, Lal is fighting against them along with the other Colony people.In Avatar, along with the hero, whole community is fighting against the villains.

There are much more scenes which Resembles the old Malayalam movie. I am not saying Avatar is a remake of Vietnam Colony, but i am saying Avatar is the Hollywood version of VC. Cameroon has added lots of stuff to the western audience as well as to other viewers that you almost forget this point. Now that is an International Talent which makes you forget about the original Plot. If Cameroon again take AVATAR after 10 years, i am sure he would add in essentials so that no one would notice that it’s still Avatar.

There are lot of wonderful scenes in AVATAR and Graphics is at its best. Those wild creatures and the flying dragons were too good. I would want to get rid of my RTR now and need a personalized vehicle like the one Hero captures during the end.

While coming out of the multiplex, the first thing that came to my mind is that instead of spending 500Rs at PVR Cinemas, i could have easily taken the DVD of Vietnam colony for 15 Rs and could have enjoyed it once again. This is James Cameroon's most hyped movie and the film after 11 Oscar Award winner TITANIC. It took 11 years for Cameroon to make this movie, a reality and now i wonder if Cameroon was watching the DVD of Vietnam Colony throughout these 11 years :-)

Who would have had a hearty laugh watching these? None other than Mohanlal and Siddique-Lal. Or would siddique-lal have felt bad after seeing that their plot has gone international and have renowned Worldwide fame? It pains you know. Even a chotta psychic blogger like me felt bad when I got the articles which I have wrote in Infyblogs as a forward to me. (Now stop laughing loud and making fun of me. It has happened)

Well, If you haven’t watched Vietnam Colony, then you are Lucky. Avatar is a new Experience to you.
If you have watched Vietnam Colony already, and dint even recognize this until I wrote here, then praise the perfection and technicalities.
If you have watched Vietnam Colony and Already found out this similarity in the theatre itself, congrats for your out of box thinking[/tscii:a553c9a1cf]

Got this as a mail...... :shock: :lol:

littlemaster1982
12th January 2010, 03:33 PM
Padam vandhappave Orkut Tamil Cinema Community-la indha similarities ellam sollittaanga :lol:

tamizharasan
14th January 2010, 04:15 AM
Avatar 3d's fourth week collections is much better than 3 idiots third week collections.
3 idiots considered to be all time blockbuster in hindi cinema.

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/npages.php?page=shownews&articleid=1420&nCat=news

mareen
14th January 2010, 04:46 AM
watched this movie.

outstanding, missed out on the chance to see it on 3d but will do in imax on valentines day.

RGowtham
14th January 2010, 07:06 PM
I still can't get tickets for the 3D version.

Thanks for Cameroon's film!!! :)

venkkiram
17th January 2010, 06:20 AM
Once again visited Pandora planet.. wow! what a place it is !

Thanks Cameron for providing such a cinematic experience !

You will be for ever remembered by many people around the globe just for "Avatar".

Dinesh84
17th January 2010, 09:20 AM
Yesterday watched Titanic on TV.. super ya.. IMHO Titanic > Avatar..

tamizharasan
18th January 2010, 03:27 AM
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Avatar is already touched 1.6 billion mark in worldwide box office. Now it is 99.999 % percent sure that Titanic worldwide box office record will be broken. Probably avatar will be the first film to cross 2 billion mark in worldwide box office. Cameroon's titanic was first film to cross billion dollar mark and now avatar will be the first film to break 2 billion mark. Cameroon is a pioneer in showing new territories to the world in box office collections.

tamizharasan
18th January 2010, 09:33 AM
Avatar won both best director and best movie at golden globe awards. Avatar will be clear favorite in oscars too. When cameroon holds the trophy for director and movie awards at oscar, all the box office records will be broken by avatar and he will be king of the world again.

avven
18th January 2010, 11:08 AM
Avatar-ra already 5 times paathachi ..everytime parkum pothu padam romba pidikuthu :D ..enna oru aarumaiyana padam Avatar :notworthy: :notworthy:

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 11:14 AM
I watched "Aliens" around 5 times, "True lies" close to 10 times and "Terminator" I & II at least 20 times in full, and countless other times in parts. One of my favorite directors, no doubt. So glad for the award, good achievement all things considered. :thumbsup:

avven
18th January 2010, 11:49 AM
I watched "Aliens" around 5 times, "True lies" close to 10 times and "Terminator" I & II at least 20 times in full, and countless other times in parts. One of my favorite directors, no doubt. So glad for the award, good achievement all things considered. :thumbsup:

:notworthy: naanum oru 15 times mela paarthirupen :D

tamizharasan
18th January 2010, 10:06 PM
One more record for avatar.
Avatar broke 500 million mark domestically in fastest time 32 days. The second fastest is dark knight in 45 days.
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/blockbusters.htm

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 10:11 PM

Rough estimate-a solrEn. I had no choice. They used to play these movies time and again in Hbo-star movies. That is before internet and torrents inhibited my life. And I still watch 'em if given a choice. 8-)

Vivasaayi
19th January 2010, 08:06 AM

Terminator 1 - is it as entertaining as T-2? not yet watched..adhaan.

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 10:50 AM
1 is not as entertaining as 2.

Vivasaayi
19th January 2010, 10:52 AM

ok...eppayo ze MGMla few scenespaatha nyabagam.

groucho070
19th January 2010, 11:00 AM

ok...eppayo ze MGMla few scenespaatha nyabagam.T1 is more on suspense/thriller. T2 more on thrill and action and effects. I like them equally.

Vivasaayi
19th January 2010, 11:03 AM

ok...eppayo ze MGMla few scenespaatha nyabagam.T1 is more on suspense/thriller. T2 more on thrill and action and effects. I like them equally.

aahaa!....then I think T2 experience will not spoil watching this one.

groucho070
19th January 2010, 11:45 AM
Particularly the climax, where'd you go, "can't you just dieeee!!!". In fact, Arnie was such a badass in this one that you actually feel bad for Linda Hamilton despite her bad 80s hairdo :D

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 12:45 PM
Agree with Groucho.

I also thought T-2 forms a proper continuum. Hamilton's acting was pretty nuanced. Look at her anger, suspicion and fear towards Arnie. It's great. T-2 is entertaining in the sense it is more of a buddy movie, the robot-boy relationship (Something I thought was cool and relatable as a child) and the action set-pieces were more controlled. Graphics was much better. It's Perfect. I wouldn't change a single frame. Music had more of a bite and it almost feels like some scenes were choreographed to the music. Brilliant score.

P_R
19th January 2010, 12:50 PM
T1 was very interesting for the novelty

eg.Arnold Schwarzeneggar scanning the appropriate responses to a salutation and picking one :lol:

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 01:11 PM
True, but vivs was asking which was entertaining. I suppose one doesn't treat 'novelty' as part of 'being entertained'. I do, but it might not be true for most. :)

groucho070
19th January 2010, 01:13 PM
Graphics was much better. It's Perfect. I wouldn't change a single frame.Wait till George Lucas hears this :P

Music had more of a bite and it almost feels like some scenes were choreographed to the music. Brilliant score. 100% Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djj7jW6ny2M

P_R
19th January 2010, 01:15 PM
Hmm I found T1 quite thrilling and enjoyable. T2 was more adrenaline, stunts etc. After that we have raised the bar always.

At one point in time the most entertaining movie I saw in a theatre was Independence Day :lol2:

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 01:20 PM
Music had more of a bite and it almost feels like some scenes were choreographed to the music. Brilliant score. 100% Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djj7jW6ny2M

Can't open it. Websense. :oops:

what is it about?

groucho070
19th January 2010, 01:24 PM
T2 Arnie walking out of the bar to the tune of Bad To The Bone (George Thoroughgood). Awesome!

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 01:40 PM
T2 Arnie walking out of the bar to the tune of Bad To The Bone (George Thoroughgood). Awesome!

AppadiyE kaNNula nikkudhu. 8-)

VENKIRAJA
22nd January 2010, 11:27 AM
Finally, today! Will post later.

tamizharasan
22nd January 2010, 10:42 PM
Comparisons of all time blockbusters.
http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=alltimegrossvs.htm

tamizharasan
27th January 2010, 01:41 AM
Bye bye Titanic. Titanic stranglehold on box office for 12 years is over now. Congratulations for those who voted for Avatar over titanic. Now avatar is all time biggest blockbuster worldwide with plenty more to come. Now we have to find out how close it is going to get to titanic in attendance. One more interesting thing when titanic beat jurassic park , it collected twice that of jurassic park. Now excluding titanic, Avatar is set to collect twice as that of nearest competitor (Lord of the Rings, Return of the King) at end of its run. So James cameroon only can compete with James cameroon.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

MADDY
29th January 2010, 04:02 AM
finally got to watch it

nice, good, great, overwhelming, wow - this is how i felt once i was let into the 3D world of James cameroon........the way pandora and its creatures were introduced - it was all visual dazzlement.....i found all creatures/things almost a parallel to the existing world - but yea, even conceptualising that is tough.....there was lot of hindu philosophy in it like karma, balance of the universe etc - i liked that :-) .......the little white poochis flying - adhu enna eywa?? reminded of white little things flying during my childhood - something we used to call as "thaatha poochi" and our parents used to say - that is a good omen :-)

but film really got tiring as it went on - remba kashtam paa..........i couldnt locate the straw of my coke dabba with those glasses on my eyes.......james cameroon hardly put a foot differently once the mileu was set.......it was mother of all cliche movies i would say.........maybe he was unsure of the reach if he had tweaked goody-goody things in the script........fair enuf yaa - 1309 crores summa kedaikkuma.......i wouldnt say i was disappointed - it was overwhelming alright but movie wise it is a bit disappointing......maybe this is the direction movie making is travelling to - lesser writing and more visual dazzlement........

*after wearing the glasses my frnd was like "dei machhan, nammala 80's bhagyaraj range-kku aakkitaangale daa" :rotfl3:

tamizharasan
2nd February 2010, 08:10 PM
With more than 2 billion dollars in the box office , Avatar is rejuvenated with nine oscar nominations.

http://oscar.go.com/nominations/films

Avatar along with hurt locker has the most nominations(9)

venkkiram
2nd February 2010, 11:50 PM
When the nominations for the Academy Awards were announced this morning in Beverly Hills, it quickly became clear that this year it's a battle between the critical favorite "The Hurt Locker" and "Avatar," the highest-grossing movie in the history of human civilization. Both films nabbed nine noms, including Best Director and Best Picture. Yet while "The Hurt Locker" also garnered a Best Screenplay nomination along with a Best Actor nod for Jeremy Renner, "Avatar" got stiffed for both writing and acting.

Though James Cameron's script has been regularly criticized for being unoriginal, it was solidly structured and it expertly married jaw-dropping action with a remarkably tender love story. His efforts were recognized with a Writers Guild Best Original Screenplay nomination, but it was neglected by the Academy. Of course, the Oscars have a habit ignoring the King of World's scripts; Cameron also failed to get a writing nomination for his last multi-Oscar winning effort, "Titanic."

But the most egregious "Avatar" snub was for Zoe Saldana. Her turn as Neytiri, the blue-skinned alien huntress, is truly the heart of "Avatar." Neytiri's every movement and facial expression was created by Saldana on a motion capture stage. She went through months of training for the physical demands of the role, along with learning an entirely new language for most of her dialogue. Cameron told New York magazine he feels she deserves recognition for her work: "Every second of the performance is Zoe. To carry a film on her shoulders and to step up every day for over a year is no small task." It may just be too early for the Academy to grasp the new technology and recognize how integral live actors are to creating these characters. But maybe Saldana will have another shot when she stars in "Avatar 2."

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/38-surprising-snubs-from-the-oscar-nominations

tamizharasan
3rd February 2010, 01:30 AM
Avatar is likely to beat Titanic's domestic box office today, coincidentally on the day of nominees announcement.

tamizharasan
4th February 2010, 01:02 AM
As expected Avatar overtook domestic haul of titanic yesterday. Now worldwide collections is expected to reach 2.5 billions dollars (700 million dollars more than titanic collections) at the end of its run.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i6e742a66c22a2552726146154593da20

avven
4th February 2010, 10:45 AM
As expected Avatar overtook domestic haul of titanic yesterday. Now worldwide collections is expected to reach 2.5 billions dollars (700 million dollars more than titanic collections) at the end of its run.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i6e742a66c22a2552726146154593da20

:notworthy: :2thumbsup: :happydance:

Sanjeevi
4th February 2010, 11:36 AM
alltime US box office

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

venkkiram
10th February 2010, 04:07 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/02/09/india.avatar.tribe/index.html

நிழலல்ல.. இது நிஜம்!

Nerd
1st March 2010, 09:22 PM
Watched it finally. IMAX 3D, full house. Thank God I saw it in Imax, maththa theaters-la rembba kastam I think. Not really a fan of this genre, in fact I absolutely hate fantasies. But Cameron-Oda vision + technology-kkAga oru thadavai pArkkalaam.

Kambar_Kannagi
23rd May 2010, 08:42 PM
Normally, these things come b4 the movie release, but for a change... :P

James Cameron accused of plagiarism

Los Angeles, May 20 (IANS) Filmmaker James Cameron is facing a lawsuit after being accused of stealing the idea for his blockbuster movie 'Avatar'.

Writer Kelly Van has claimed that Cameron based the movie on her online book 'Sheila the Warrior: The Damned'.

However, Cameron insists he's never seen the story, but Van has filed papers alleging that both the director and the movie studio 20th Century Fox plagiarised her plot and character details.

She claims the 'demeanour', 'attire', 'motions' and 'powers/rituals' of the Na'vi characters, as well as the 'settings' and 'scenes' are based entirely on her work, reports imdb.com.

'It's absolutely baseless. Jim Cameron's treatment for 'Avatar' was written before Ms. Van alleges she even started to write her book,' said Chris Petrikin, spokesperson for Fox.

Van's attorney Kevin Mirch insists: 'We did a lot of research, and the copyright says 'Avatar' was copyrighted on April 1 of 2007. The date of (Van's) creation was in 2000, and it was published on the internet in 2003. 'Avatar' was done much later.'

'It's just contrary to what they said to us - which they did in a very rude manner. (Cameron's) lawyer wrote us a letter saying they would go after our law firm and our client if it wasn't dismissed immediately. To have letters that say they're going to sue us and they're going to make us go bankrupt is bad business,' he said.

http://www.aol.in/news-story/James-Cameron-accused-of-plagiarism/917652

ajaybaskar
23rd May 2010, 09:00 PM
Thank god.. It was not Siddique-Lal who accused Cameron of plagiarism..

m_karthik
11th July 2010, 05:52 AM
Avatar is going to be re-released with 8 minutes of never before seen footage only in 3D , IMAX-3D and IMAX on August 27.

It's releasing in India on the same day too

ajaybaskar
12th July 2010, 09:28 AM
Avatar has crossed 200 days in Chennai already. 213 to be precise. Remember only Cliffhanger and Titanic had crossed 175 days in Chennai. 200... This is the first time i guess..

Sanjeevi
12th July 2010, 12:39 PM
Cliffhanger avvalavu naal oducha :wink:

and yes I think avatar is the movie with biggest in this year at Satyam (or in multiplexes) beating all tamil movies

kid-glove
12th July 2010, 12:42 PM
Think Vertical Limit ran for as many days as Cliffhanger..

ajaybaskar
12th July 2010, 12:47 PM
Devi complex still exhibits the 175th day shield of Cliff Hanger.

raghavendran
13th July 2010, 06:02 PM
Cliffhanger avvalavu naal oducha :wink:

and yes I think avatar is the movie with biggest in this year at Satyam (or in multiplexes) beating all tamil moviesit was thr in sify cbo for over 5 mths

Avadi to America
13th July 2010, 11:23 PM
Avatar has crossed 200 days in Chennai already. 213 to be precise. Remember only Cliffhanger and Titanic had crossed 175 days in Chennai. 200... This is the first time i guess..

No:

terminator 2 judgement day (i watched on 176 day in alangar)

I think first strike starring jackie....

ajaybaskar
13th July 2010, 11:40 PM
Oh.. Thats news to me... :-)

So this is the 5th movie, uh?

Avadi to America
14th July 2010, 12:31 AM
even i heard Mackenna's Gold had dream run in madras..... I am not sure how many days...