PDA

View Full Version : Indian Students Studying Overseas ... why ?

PARAMASHIVAN
5th May 2010, 03:27 PM
[tscii:87276f2d1a]Indian Student Studying Overseas ... why ?

I have always 'wondered' why there are millions of students going abroad to finish their higher education (university education) when the academic structure of Indian Education system is far superior to that of UK, USA, and Australia

Is it lack of facilities / resources?

India is second largest ‘emerging’ economical super power in Asia after China? Yet students are leaving abroad for further studies leading them to a better future that is employment in ‘developed countries’. Which leaves India ‘short’ of professionals?

Is this healthier for the Indian Economy?
[/tscii:87276f2d1a]

Surya
5th May 2010, 03:31 PM
Reason #1: After they finish their higher education in that country, it's easier to settle there, since they can get a job right out of College in that country. (atleast that's how it is in USA.)

Reason #2: Freedom to do what you want. For example: you have be in a Live-In Relationship while in College and not care abt what anyone thinks, that is, IF any1 thinks in a disapproving way. That's not possible in India.

PARAMASHIVAN
5th May 2010, 03:40 PM
Reason #1: After they finish their higher education in that country, it's easier to settle there, since they can get a job right out of College in that country. (atleast that's how it is in USA.)

Reason #2: Freedom to do what you want. For example: you have be in a Live-In Relationship while in College and not care abt what anyone thinks, that is, IF any1 thinks in a disapproving way. That's not possible in India.

I agree with both reason, but reason #1 is not always 'Guaranteed', in UK the government has bought in legislation to give priority to 'home' students (UK nationals) over foreign students regarding employment

:roll:

PARAMASHIVAN
5th May 2010, 03:46 PM
[tscii:f22d86698f]Most of students are allowed to work only 20 hrs a week, they have to pay tuition fees, rent, bills and send money home, or re pay the loan they took to go abroad, is it really worth it, to go through all of this just for a certificate ? :huh:

And most students here come on a 'student visa’, work illegally and once the immigration finds out, these students are then deported back to their country of origin, at the expenses of the UK tax payers!

[/tscii:f22d86698f]

Surya
5th May 2010, 03:52 PM
yeah, but an overwhelming number of students who finish stdying in America do fine a job, and eventually settle there. It's not 100%, but it happens mostly.

I guess that makes all the side jobs worth it, once they finish, i've seen many being happy and relieved.

Surya
5th May 2010, 03:53 PM
[tscii:8689837b32]
And most students here come on a 'student visa’, work illegally and once the immigration finds out, these students are then deported back to their country of origin, at the expenses of the UK tax payers!

Wow....America isn't that radical...I don't think ppl get Hunted Down for Deportation. But the UK has had its share of terror attacks :( I think it's good for the country to track down that way on illegals, but many innocents get the bad end too. [/tscii:8689837b32]

PARAMASHIVAN
5th May 2010, 04:06 PM
[tscii:c07727e003]
I don't think ppl get Hunted Down for Deportation. But the UK has had its share of terror attacks :( I think it's good for the country to track down that way on illegal, but many innocents get the bad end too. [/tscii:c07727e003]

They have specially trained UK border force and immigration units, which cracks down on illegal immigrants who come here on student visa and work illegally , these forces mainly target 'Indian take aways / restaurants', 'kebab shops'. Chinese take away' and hand car wash centres..

These are the companies which employ illegally working students, and the fine for the company which employs illegal worker is a staggering £10,000 per worker :shock:

Nerd
5th May 2010, 09:52 PM
You can't be serious :lol:

kid-glove
7th May 2010, 04:03 PM
You can't be serious :lol:
At least in case of couple of my friends, it's a potent reason..

Surya
7th May 2010, 05:42 PM
I've seen many people choose certain colleges for Higher Studies, and the Social Environment of a college is definatly one of the things that anyone would look for. :) Even if the college is abroad. Like Kid-Glove I know a few people who've done that too. :) There's not anything in it to laugh about.... Lot's of people have different views on "How to enjoy College Life"

To Everyman His Own. :) And the whole Live-In Relationship is just an example....There are many other similar reasons.

This one guy I knew went to Florida to study, and the deciding factor between the Florida School, and the ones he got into in California was that Florida School was far away from home. :roll:

app_engine
7th May 2010, 07:08 PM
Surya,
That reason could possibly be attributed to kids whose parents too stay abroad. I don't think that's true in the case of kids whose parents are in India (I think the thread talks primarily about them) who play a big role in the choice of where their children will have edu.

One of the main reasons is the kind of facilities that an average school abroad offers v/s what an average school in India can provide (I don't know about present but till 2003, they were horrible).

When we think of Indian schools, we shouldn't consider IIT/NIT kind of colleges which are too few considering the millions of students who try to study. They do have great facilities / faculty etc but they are available only to the brightest students or who can get the seats allocated.

What will an average student do, with parents who can spend money for edu abroad but cannot get a seat in IIT/NIT? They decide to go abroad to get the BEST FACILITIES / FACULTY!

(My son is "graduating" in a month's time and he had done home design / car design / 3D modelling / ROV design etc in his 12th grade with complete access to the latest autocad and many other grafix tools, full-fledged facilities - all in a very ordinary, humble school district in the metro Detroit area. I've been to his school many times and each time wonder how even REC Trichy didn't have this kind of facilities in 80's, and I've been to a number of private engg colleges in TN as late as 2003 and found the facilities nothing compared to a middle school here!)

Surya
7th May 2010, 07:25 PM
I know Indian students wouldn't usually come to a school in the US or something just to get away from home. I've seen many Indian Students studying in the US, and I've also seen how attached they are to their family, and how much they miss them.

There are a few who do the other too. But that's just a few.

I just said that becuse I thought it was interesting, and vaguely relevant. :P

(My son is "graduating" in a month's time and he had done home design / car design / 3D modelling / ROV design etc in his 12th grade with complete access to the latest autocad and many other grafix tools, full-fledged facilities - all in a very ordinary, humble school district in the metro Detroit area. I've been to his school many times and each time wonder how even REC Trichy didn't have this kind of facilities in 80's, and I've been to a number of private engg colleges in TN as late as 2003 and found the facilities nothing compared to a middle school here!)

Yeah, that's very true... Ramachandra is supposed to be a well funded Institution, but it's still not in comparison with the Facilities in the Med Unis in the USA. :)

BTW: That's awesome that ur son's graduating. It's the end of an ERA! High School days are days which no one will ever forget, especially if they went to High School in America!

I'm surpriced though, I thought the Detroit School System was bad, judging from the "Detroit - Murder Capital" Image. :) Are you in Detroit City, or in a Suburb? :)

app_engine
7th May 2010, 07:42 PM
Surya,
The metro Detroit area is an interesting mix of everything - from variety of people / cultures / languages / colors etc.

I live within a 10 minute reach of GM's HQ (i.e. Detroit downtown) but the city is different- Allen Park, hosting the Detroit Lions football team :-) If I cross a road from my home, it's another city - Melvindale and cross a few blocks in another direction, it's Dearborn (Ford world HQ is 5 min from home). There are 6 different cities from my home within the distance of 2 miles, including the City of Detroit.

Actually, out of the 4 mn or so in the metro Area, only 800K live in the city of Detroit (which is the current #1 in crime in USA, poor, battered etc). The rest live in 100's of cities around, within a 20-25 mile distance.

thamiz
7th May 2010, 08:11 PM
The funny thing is some people those who settled in US and in a situation of sending their kids to "college education" thinking of sending out their children to a private medical college or engg college in India as they find that is "affordable" and "safe"! :lol:

Nerd
7th May 2010, 08:22 PM

Do you see a problem with me laughing now???

And I probably know more about this topic than most of you posting here.

Nerd
7th May 2010, 08:27 PM
And indha facilities are great matter ellaam :lol2:

The average salary of a Master's degree holder who graduated from a US university >>>> ...... an Indian university.

I am not talking about the IITins etc. who come here to purse a career in Research and Development etc.

app_engine
7th May 2010, 08:30 PM
Nerd,
I thought the original intent of the thread was about bachelor's (and that's why mentioned about the facilities thingy).

About Master's, no question about it, easy route to get a job abroad.

Nerd
7th May 2010, 08:34 PM
App,

Your facilities thingy is valid for someone whose parents live here. For someone who comes to the USA for higher education (be it bachelors or masters) all that matters is money and settling down.

Btw, I don't know about UK, but I think its the same there too - as far as USA is concerned the no. of people who come here for their bachelors is almost negligible when you compare it with the no. of people who come here to get their masters degree.

Surya
7th May 2010, 08:43 PM
The funny thing is some people those who settled in US and in a situation of sending their kids to "college education" thinking of sending out their children to a private medical college or engg college in India as they find that is "affordable" and "safe"! :lol:

:rotfl: Ayoo Semma Comedy!!

As a person who attends a private medical college in India....Most NRI Students come to India to study because it's a lot faster to get a Degree in the Medical Field in India since there are no requirements for Premed courses! :) Not because its "Safe" If anything, it's more dangerous to be here if u don't know what ur doing. :lol2: And not because it's cheap, it turns out to be the same either way, that's how much these "Private" colleges here charge. :lol2:

Intha matter ellam theriyaama yaaro vaaye vittutangalo....it's wokay tamiz, neenge eppavuma panra vishayam thaane idhu! :lol: :thumbsup: :oops:

Surya
7th May 2010, 08:45 PM

Do you see a problem with me laughing now???

And I probably know more about this topic than most of you posting here.

No I don't! :lol: :D

app_engine
7th May 2010, 08:45 PM
Nerd,
Actually more students go to Australia it seems for bachelors (I've read somewhere during the assault on Indian students controversy) and I don't think that many come to USA anyways for bachelor's (as in the case of master's).

Honestly, I didn't seriously think about USA when posting that :-)

thamiz
7th May 2010, 08:53 PM
As a person who attends a private medical college in India....Most NRI Students come to India to study because it's a lot faster to get a Degree in the Medical Field in India since there are no requirements for Premed courses! :) Not because its "Safe" If anything, it's more dangerous to be here if u don't know what ur doing. :lol2: And not because it's cheap, it turns out to be the same either way, that's how much these "Private" colleges here charge. :lol2:

Is that more expensive than getting an MD form Harvard or Vanderbilit or scripps or Washu?

I am sure it is cheap!

I am sure it is easy to get a seat there compared to the schools I have mentioned here!

Nerd
7th May 2010, 08:54 PM
Surya,

An unrelated question. I was told by someone that people who get their medical degrees outside the USA should not practise in the USA,. Is this true?

Surya
7th May 2010, 08:55 PM
BTW Reguarding Safety: From What?

Getting Laid? It isn't rocket science to get laid in India.

Drugs? Maybe the hard stuff like Coke, Acid etc are hard to find here, but Marijuana, the drug which most college students experiment with in their College Years in America, is extremely easy to find in India! Surprisingly easy! I met the father of this kid who's gonna join 1st year starting July, and he tells me and my friends "U guys are in India.... make sure you stay away from Marijuana."

I SHlT U NOT! :nothatway: My frnds and I were like :shock: :lol: WTF?

thamiz
7th May 2010, 08:56 PM
Surya,

An unrelated question. I was told by someone that people who get their medical degrees outside the USA should not practise in the USA,. Is this true?

They need to go through residency again and pass an "MD-equivalent" test before that. Our MBBS is not equivalent to an MD they earn here I believe!

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:01 PM

Is that more expensive than getting an MD form Harvard or Vanderbilit or scripps or Washu?

I am sure it is cheap!

I am sure it is easy to get a seat there compared to the schools I have mentioned here!

I'm Sure Ur Wrong! :lol2: Most Med Schools charge abt the same: (This is when I joined, it keeps increasing every year) 125K US Dollars, (and that's the advertised amount! :wink: ), everyone knows the Cell Phone Scandal which happened a few months ago regarding this, so it ends up being even more... After Finishing the course here, there are other courses that ppl usually take to get ready for the the Proficiency Exams like USMLE or NBDE etc etc So summing everything up, it comes out to be quite similar.

It's wokay, neenge nadathunge! :thumbsup:

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:02 PM
Surya,

Nope! There are a couple very hard exams that we have to write and a couple short courses after we get back, those are xtreamly competitive, after that we can practice. 8-)

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:03 PM
Surya,

They need to go through residency again and pass an "MD-equalent" test before that. Our MBBS is not equalent to an MD they earn here I believe!

:yes:

Nerd
7th May 2010, 09:04 PM
I heard about the entrance exam/ courses too. Thanks thamiz/Surya. Was just curious :oops:

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:05 PM

Why would u compare a school like Harvard to begin with? :huh:

app_engine
7th May 2010, 09:06 PM
Indian medical council head was recently arrested for bribe and authorities recovered about 1800 crores cash and 1.5 tonne (1500 kg) of gold!

I can't belive that Indian medical education can be cheap (i.e. for those who pay everything and do not come from the regular merit stream).

sathya_1979
7th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Indian medical council head was recently arrested for bribe and authorities recovered about 1800 crores cash and 1.5 tonne (1500 kg) of gold!

I can't belive that Indian medical education can be cheap (i.e. for those who pay everything and do not come from the regular merit stream).
Idhai pathi ellaam pesinaa indha naattula kalavaram vedikkum :lol:

thamiz
7th May 2010, 09:12 PM
I think you need to look at how much you owe (bcos of the loan) when you get loan and complete your MD and residency!

You will be in a big debt, of course ready to make big money!

There are some schools who have MD/PhD program for TOP students where the tuition is free! However there will be some other "commitments" But you need to be really BRIGHT to get into such program!

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:18 PM

Idhai pathi ellaam pesinaa indha naattula kalavaram vedikkum :lol:

:lol:

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:22 PM
thamiz,
either way, it ain't cheaper or safer (in anyway) to study in India.

There are some schools who have MD/PhD program for TOP students where the tuition is free! However there will be some other "commitments" But you need to be really BRIGHT to get into such program!

Yes and most students don't qualify for such courses. These programs are only for the truly gifted. Most students in America just take any scholarships they can. Sports et all.

thamiz
7th May 2010, 09:33 PM
How much is the tuition for a medical student for the first year in India?

Here is the list in US!

And show me it is expensive there!

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2010

app_engine
7th May 2010, 09:40 PM
thamiz,
There're tons of ways to get aid / scholarships that could cover most of these expenses (i.e. for locals like citizens / GC holders).

So, if one gets such, the final cost won't be this much. Such assistance is never possible for a NRI student in India.

In addition, most students in US also can support themselves with some kind of work that pays reasonably well (again I'm talking about locals and not F1 visa kinds). That too helps reduce the cost burden on parents, if they are spending for the child's edu. Such thing is hardly heard of in India (may be possible nowadays with more employment opportunities but I doubt).

Some factors to consider...

thamiz
7th May 2010, 09:43 PM
This is from a discussion forum where one wants to send his kid to India for medical school. Here is the answer by someone!

Two types of medical colleges graduate students: one is run by the different state governments; and there are a few private medical schools.

To get into the former you need to take their entrance exams and students are accepted based on the test results alone or in some cases entrance test results+(physics, chemistry, and biology marks from the 12th standard final exams). Indian citizenship is also a requirement as far as I know. Tuition is extremely cheap because it is heavily subsidized by the government.

Private schools are run for profit. Most, not all, private schools take students based on how much they are willing to pay. (Some do take students based on marks, but the fee structure is not pocket friendly.) Most of them are filled up with kids that did not make it to the state schools. Or they are filled up with NRI (Non Resident Indian) students who choose to come to India to get their medical degree for a variety of reasons.

Hope it helps.

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:51 PM
How much is the tuition for a medical student for the first year in India?

It's not Yearly....It's usually supposed to be paid in One DD.

Check it urself...:huh: I don't care enough to go looking for "Proof" abt MBBS Fees in India, with the pathetic net speed I have here. :lol2: Check srmc.edu to get a general idea. And $125K is what they show publicly...

Not to mention the expense of Living for the Student Studying here, and the expense for the courses necessary to get certified.

Surya
7th May 2010, 09:55 PM
Or they are filled up with NRI (Non Resident Indian) students who choose to come to India to get their medical degree for a variety of reasons.

Hope it helps.

8-) Yup! And with the whole Merit/Reservation Fiasco that this country has got going on....It's not just how well a student has performed which determines if he gets into a state school or not. That must be noted...

thamiz
7th May 2010, 09:56 PM
That is one reason I flew away from India! You wont even get a proper receipt for how much you pay!

thamiz
7th May 2010, 09:59 PM
thamiz,
There're tons of ways to get aid / scholarships that could cover most of these expenses (i.e. for locals like citizens / GC holders).

So, if one gets such, the final cost won't be this much. Such assistance is never possible for a NRI student in India.

In addition, most students in US also can support themselves with some kind of work that pays reasonably well (again I'm talking about locals and not F1 visa kinds). That too helps reduce the cost burden on parents, if they are spending for the child's edu. Such thing is hardly heard of in India (may be possible nowadays with more employment opportunities but I doubt).

Some factors to consider...

a-e: Yes, there are several additions and subtractions too!

There are some schools, the tuition is free for your children if you are an employee of that school for five years or more. That works only if your child is bright enough to make it to that school.

Also, suppose they dont make in that school, and get to some what lower level school, still they pay 50% tuition of their school to those students !

Surya
7th May 2010, 10:00 PM
That is one reason I flew away from India! You wont even get a proper receipt for how much you pay!

Now that's not fair! :angry2: If everyone get a reciept then how will the head of the Indian Medical Council have 1800 crores cash and 1.5 tonne (1500 kg) of gold! :lol2:

thamiz
7th May 2010, 11:04 PM
Surya:

Let us talk about safety! How many sexual assaults (esp students in university) were reported in India?

You know how many happening here?

Girls get sexually assaulted easily here if they are not very careful!

Sudhaama
8th May 2010, 12:20 AM
Surya:

Let us talk about safety! How many sexual assaults (esp students in university) were reported in India?

What is meant by --- HERE.?

Which country you mean, please.!

thamiz
8th May 2010, 12:47 AM
Here stands for United States, Mr. Sudhama! :)

Wibha
8th May 2010, 04:00 AM

pretty much.

ajithfederer
8th May 2010, 09:53 AM
1. First and foremost is to improve their economic situation.

2. Migration to US is a major factor.

3. A well settled future once you finish and land even in a half decent job. Settled for life even in some cases. I think 50% of the students make this cut.

4. An Master's education from here is atleast of some-value in India and valued in other parts of the world. The value ranges from low to high. If you buck up with experience you can really market yourself in your field.

5. Peer pressure, Family pressure to up the ante. Prestige of settling and working abroad a big factor.

6. Believe it or NOT, I've seen some guys say to increase their DOWRY. :).

P_R
8th May 2010, 10:09 AM
Serious social matter.
இதுக்கு ஏன் :-) போட்டீங்க.
எது எதுக்கு சிரிக்கிறதுன்னு ஒரு வரைமுறை இல்லாம போச்சு.
மேலை நாடுகளில் படிக்கும் மேல்தட்டு இளைஞர்களிடமும் வரதட்சணைக் கொடுமை தொடர்வது கண்டனத்துக்குரியது. :frown:

ajithfederer
8th May 2010, 10:21 AM
ungalukkum tamizhkkum irukkara vaikaal thagaraarula edhukku en kayyai pudichu ilukuringa?. And i am smiling when i type this :lol2:.

thamiz
8th May 2010, 10:30 AM

3. A well settled future once you finish and land even in a half decent job. Settled for life even in some cases. I think 50% of the students make this cut.

4. An Master's education from here is atleast of some-value in India and valued in other parts of the world. The value ranges from low to high. If you buck up with experience you can really market yourself in your field.

5. Peer pressure, Family pressure to up the ante. Prestige of settling and working abroad a big factor.

When people reach a middle-age, the feeling people have are different and they realize their ignorance. Some people go back to India when they become really old and unhealthy.

Surya
8th May 2010, 10:53 AM
6. Believe it or NOT, I've seen some guys say to increase their DOWRY.

Imported Meat cost more money! :lol2:

Surya
8th May 2010, 10:55 AM
Surya:

Do u know how common it has become for a girl to get "groped" when i a crowded place? That's a form of sexual assault also.

A Normal Indian Girl who goes to College in America doesn't have to worry abt being raped or groped (For the most part for the latter one)

Wibha, back me up here. :P

Sarna
8th May 2010, 11:22 AM

Largely in high-class society, dowry kudukka ponnu veettukkaarangalum ready'yaa irukkaanga.... dowry vaanga payyan veettukkaarangalum ready'yaa irukkaanga.... so dowry doesnt harm either of them

based on widely appreciated theory in hub "If something not hurting or causing harm to others, that-thing is not at all wrong", one can conclude dowry is also not a wrong thing atleast for high-class society.

thamiz
8th May 2010, 11:33 AM
Surya:

Do u know how common it has become for a girl to get "groped" when i a crowded place? That's a form of sexual assault also.

I am talking about RAPE!

Surya
8th May 2010, 12:36 PM
based on widely appreciated theory in hub "If something not hurting or causing harm to others, that-thing is not at all wrong", one can conclude dowry is also not a wrong thing atleast for high-class society.

I don't see any victims if both families are well off....except the pride of the Groom. Like I Said "Imported Meat Cost More Money!" :oops:

I am talking about RAPE!

Since we're comparing Indian and American Unis for Indian Students...

A Normal Indian Girl who goes to College in America doesn't have to worry abt being raped or groped anyway. (For the most part for the latter one)

thamiz
9th May 2010, 08:11 AM
A Normal Indian Girl who goes to College in America doesn't have to worry abt being raped or groped anyway. (For the most part for the latter one)

Really?

I dont know any normal indian girls. I know only special indian girls I suppose! :D

Lambretta
9th May 2010, 12:05 PM
Surya:

I am talking about RAPE!
Tamizh, I donno how long u've been away from India but in the PRESENT-DAY context, this too has not remained uncommon here! :|

And given our relatively unhelpful justice system, the victims r seldom likely to get justice for it, which wouldnt be the case in say, the US!

Wibha
10th May 2010, 04:22 AM
thamiz,

Do you think girls studying in college in India could just walk around campus at 2 am or 3 am? NO. Can we do it here? Yes.

The safety provided in schools can't be compared with India.

Its amazing to study here. So many resources, healthy competition, freedom, independence. Students can't blame anyone for their downfall. The responsibility one gets as they start college. I doubt you can get these in Indian schools. The facilities provided by american schools for their students. A bachelor's here with some good research experience will get you a well-paid job. People don't even have to go to grad school. There are so many advantages one can get from studying here(America).

thamiz
10th May 2010, 05:33 AM
Wibha!

Check this out. I get this kind of "crime alert" often!

To the XXXX University Community:

Shortly before 1 a.m. this morning, a female undergraduate student walking alone near the intersection of XXXX and YYYYY was sexually assaulted by a person not known to her. She was treated at a local hospital and is expected to be released today.

The University expresses its deepest concern for this student and is committed to the safety of all who study and work here. The crime is being investigated by the City Metropolitan Police Department. The University is offering support to the student, her roommates and her family.

Lambretta
10th May 2010, 10:33 AM

Shortly before 1 a.m. this morning, a female undergraduate student walking alone near the intersection of XXXX and YYYYY was sexually assaulted by a person not known to her. She was treated at a local hospital and is expected to be released today.

The University expresses its deepest concern for this student and is committed to the safety of all who study and work here. The crime is being investigated by the City Metropolitan Police Department. The University is offering support to the student, her roommates and her family.
These kinda incidents are common EVERYWHERE, except maybe some of the Middle Eastern countries where women are relatively secluded. As I (and wibha) said before, these kinda incidents are not unheard of even in India. In fact they are growing all the more common here! Especially in cities like Delhi.
In fact atleast in the above case, the Univ. is offering support to the victim; had it been a Uni here, they most likekly wouldnt have even bothered to do that, rather they would've simply washed their hands off the matter and leave it to the victims/her family to deal with it! :|

Surya
10th May 2010, 05:30 PM
Really?

I dont know any normal indian girls. I know only special indian girls I suppose!

:lol: Jesus! Talk abt a Superiority Complex! :poke:

Wibha and Lamby: :clap:

Another thing is, most rape cases in India don't even come out, the girls family wouldn't bring it out to begin with....

Nerd
10th May 2010, 07:36 PM

neenga #6kku dhaanE vandheenga :lol2:

On safety, almost all campuses (that I know of) have a police station. But in Houston, the moment you walk out of your campus, you are in danger. The main campus there is notorious for substance abusers. I have been mugged on a couple of occasions and one of my friends was stabbed. I don't know of any rape cases during my stay there but yeah safety there (just outside the campus) is comparable to India. Much worse in fact.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th May 2010, 07:59 PM
Nerd,
I thought the original intent of the thread was about bachelor's (and that's why mentioned about the facilities thingy).

About Master's, no question about it, easy route to get a job abroad.

:notthatway:

Certainly not the case in UK, I have BSc(hons) 2.1 in Computing, and MSc in computing.. I was still not able to get the job I wanted and, I am a 'Home' student, not a foreign student. Qualifications from Indian Universities are not considered in UK, unless you have Microsoft qualification!

thamiz
10th May 2010, 08:11 PM

These kinda incidents are common EVERYWHERE, except maybe some of the Middle Eastern countries where women are relatively secluded. As I (and wibha) said before, these kinda incidents are not unheard of even in India. In fact they are growing all the more common here! Especially in cities like Delhi. :|

I was giving an example to Wibha, who made a statement about safety in US campuses! Check out her post!

PARAMASHIVAN
10th May 2010, 08:15 PM
Thamizh ka

There is no 'safe' place in the world :(

thamiz
10th May 2010, 08:18 PM
I think it happens a lot in US under "gun point".

PARAMASHIVAN
10th May 2010, 08:22 PM

Gun crime in USA is very common though , UK is a 'Much' safer place compared to USA and Australia !

app_engine
10th May 2010, 08:23 PM

Sad, but true. Few months back, I met a friend who was in a hurry to go to a funeral of his Detroit friend who got shot while waiting in a signal :-(

And the sad part is he was on his way for making preparations for his father's funeral (body kept in a funeral home) and that's when he was shot.

Both dad and son had funeral the same day :-(

We need a world without guns!

Surya
10th May 2010, 08:41 PM
"Gun Point" is mostly gang Violence which one would have to deal with in bad parts of most Metros in the USA. Especially Detroit, Chicago, and some bad parts of LA (Compton, South Central etc).

Rarely do you see incidents like Columbine, or Virginia Tech, but those get blown out of proportion by the Foreign Media.

I guess that's a side effect when the Civilian Population has the right to bear arms....:(

Even then, the average Indian college student doesn't have to put up with much of that.

Surya
10th May 2010, 08:52 PM
And the sad part is he was on his way for making preparations for his father's funeral (body kept in a funeral home) and that's when he was shot.

I was watching this documentary about gang violence in the South Central area of LA. One of the interviews with an active "Crips" gang member said:

"We've had our homeboys shot up on the streets like animals by opposing sects! Then we've had a Drive By Shooting @ The Funeral, which kills another one of our friends @ The Funeral of the Previous Friend who was shot by the opposing Sect! U DIG?!?" :(

We need a world without guns!

I think Getting a gun for a Citizen should be a bit Easier in a country like India, where the Police are a bit of a joke. But America doesn't need to be so easy on guys since the Police Dept is far better, and the Average Citizen doesn't need a gun. (Not talking abt people who live in bad parts of towns)

I called and inquired this Gun Showroom on Mount Road a few days ago with my friends as joke when we were under the influence of alcohol :lol2: Anyway, he said that we'd need an NOC from the Police Dept, and a signed letter from a few Govt Officials, which as any other procedure in India, takes a LOT Longer than it's worth. Even then, you can only have a few selected guns, which are quite low in Power.

Shotguns, M16's, Uzis, Semi-Automatics....Forget it. But that's a good thing tho, considering India's National Security Problems.

But even getting a normal Pistol is like crossing the Pacific on a Row Boat! :notthatway:

thamiz
10th May 2010, 09:04 PM
Even then, the average Indian college student doesn't have to put up with much of that.

Really?

You need to OPEN your EYES and look around!

It was not long ago, a telugu girl and her brother (cousin) got killed. Both were shot!

thamiz
10th May 2010, 09:06 PM
Family shocked over AP girl's murder in US
HYDERABAD/ADILABAD: Door No. 6-1-103/101 in Abhinavanagar Colony opposite CRPF quarters in Padmaraonagar, Secunderabad, reverberated with loud shrieks as Hemalatha cried inconsolably upon hearing the news about the death of her daughter Soumya Reddy, who was shot dead by an unidentified assailant in Chicago in the United States on Sunday. ( Watch )

Distraught with grief, a shattered Hemalatha said her daughter was taken away in the prime of her life. The 23-year-old Tummala Soumya Reddy was pursuing her MS degree in electrical engineering from Southern Illinois University. Preliminary investigations said the victim was found in a car, 30 km from the university campus. This is the fourth incident of a student hailing from Andhra Pradesh being killed under suspicious circumstances in the United States in the last 10 months.

The second daughter of Bhoopal Reddy and Hemalatha of Muniyal village of Kadem mandal in the backward Telangana district of Adilabad, Soumya went to the US in last June after completing her B Tech course from VIF College of Engineering and Technology in Chilkur. According to the victim's cousin Pratima, Soumya's elder sister is doing her MS in computers from Governor State University, Chicago, while brother Rajesh Reddy is pursuing his IIT course in Chennai.

Sources said the family shifted to the city 12 years ago after Bhoopal Reddy, who was working in the education department in Adilabad, passed away. Hemalatha is an employee of the irrigation department. The family was informed about Soumya's death by Prof Gopala Reddy of Southern Illinois University on Sunday night.

"We came to know about the death on Sunday night and after seven hours, Sahaja confirmed that the body at the mortuary was that of Soumya's," another relative Srinivas Reddy said.

He said Soumya was a bright student and she went to the US only to excel in her chosen field of engineering. "We just want the Indian government to ensure that her body reaches home as early as possible," Srinivas said.

Investigations are under way in the US to ascertain the motive behind the murder. Venkat Reddy, the victim's uncle, said security for Indian students leaves a lot to be desired in the US universities.

Soumya is the fourth student from Andhra Pradesh killed in the US in the last 10 months. While A Srinivas, a PG medical student from Karimnagar, was killed in March this year, Allam Kiran Kumar and K Chandrasekhar Reddy, both pursuing their Ph D courses, were shot dead at Louisiana University in December 2007.

When contacted, district SP Anil Kumar said that they are collecting more details on the circumstances that led to the killing of Soumya. "We got information on Sunday night about the incident," he said.

Meanwhile, a pall of gloom has descended on Muniyal village. People of the tiny village gathered in small groups on Monday morning at the village centre recalling their association with Bhoopal. Soumya's uncle and aunt, who reside in the village, rushed to Hyderabad after they heard the news about the untimely death of Soumya.

thamiz
10th May 2010, 09:10 PM
With all due respect to those who were killed. :cry2:

Yeah, so? This happened after how many years? When was the last time an Indian College Student was killed before this??

Paranoia is bad for Mental Well being! :notthatway: :thumbsup:

Go back READ what you have CLAIMED in your post! You just type some trash!

Surya
10th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Hmm....School.....Middle School.....Math.....Proportions......# Of Indian Students In America/# Of Indian Students Shot = USA An Unsafe Place For Indian Students?

Paranoia is Bad For Mental Well Being! :notthatway:

PARAMASHIVAN
This is turning out to be a Political talk rather than about the Education :x

app_engine
While this could be an extreme case, things are getting more violent in India too :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=565862&disdate=5/10/2010

I think the worst places are the law(less) colleges and we've seen a lot on the news reports as well.

Surya
10th May 2010, 09:13 PM
With all due respect to those who were killed. :cry2:

Yeah, so? This happened after how many years? When was the last time an Indian College Student was killed before this??

Paranoia is bad for Mental Well being! :notthatway: :thumbsup:

Go back READ what you have CLAIMED in your post! You just type some trash!

Go back and READ what I POSTED! You're just Paranoid! :huh: U we bullied in College weren't u? :cry3:

Surya
10th May 2010, 09:15 PM
While this could be an extreme case, things are getting more violent in India too :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=565862&disdate=5/10/2010

I think the worst places are the law(less) colleges and we've seen a lot on the news reports as well.

Remember when the Police just stood around and watched....:cry:

Surya
10th May 2010, 09:18 PM
@ Params: We're still in Topic. We're talking about the Safety of Indian Students in the USA.

Lambretta
11th May 2010, 08:52 AM
I was giving an example to Wibha, who made a statement about safety in US campuses! Check out her post!
Yes, I was replying in context of that post of her's too! :huh:

What I was saying is, we couldnt be judgemental bout safety in US campuses in GENERAL going by these kinda incidents, as they r not uncommon anywhere, even here! :)

thamiz
11th May 2010, 09:14 AM

What I was saying is, we couldnt be judgemental bout safety in US campuses in GENERAL going by these kinda incidents, as they r not uncommon anywhere, even here! :)

I believe rapes /sexual assaults are happening more in US. Such serious offenses are not common in IITs and Universities. However Delhi could be an exception.

Surya
11th May 2010, 10:41 AM

:thumbsup: :D

Such serious offenses are not common in IITs and Universities. However Delhi could be an exception.

IIT is the Cream of the Crop! :roll: The Logical Comparison to IIT would be Harvard and Stanford! How many rapes occur on those campuses?

Lambretta
11th May 2010, 08:40 PM
I believe rapes /sexual assaults are happening more in US. Such serious offenses are not common in IITs and Universities.
That's probably because IITs have relatively fewer female students! :lol:

But jokes apart, IITs and bigger univs. have a relatively 'protected' atmosphere compared to a local co-ed college in the same city, maybe because they have an international reputation, which they tend to protect. They r also more stringent in taking action against ragging etc.

thamiz
11th May 2010, 09:54 PM
Could you give me at least few examples of sexual assault cases in the universities other than IITs? You need to provide at least some data to go on extrapolate your theory!

And dont go on say nobody reports and everybody is getting raped and all that!

PARAMASHIVAN
11th May 2010, 09:57 PM
inga ennapa nadakuthu :sigh2:

thamiz
11th May 2010, 10:09 PM
Lambretta believes that Indian universities are less safer! That is what going on :)

sathya_1979
11th May 2010, 10:15 PM
I believe rapes /sexual assaults are happening more in US. Such serious offenses are not common in IITs and Universities.
That's probably because IITs have relatively fewer female students! :lol:

But jokes apart, IITs and bigger univs. have a relatively 'protected' atmosphere compared to a local co-ed college in the same city, maybe because they have an international reputation, which they tend to protect. They r also more stringent in taking action against ragging etc.
Not sure abt this. I studied in an engineering college located in a rural area. I have not heard / know even a single incident of misbehavior with female students during my stay there, not even women complaining of lewd comments. There were few gang-fights (Note well, not bangs :D ) among the guys, nothing too big. Not sure how Lamby got this notion / info.

Lambretta
13th May 2010, 01:22 AM
Could you give me at least few examples of sexual assault cases in the universities other than IITs? You need to provide at least some data to go on extrapolate your theory!
I certainly intend to provide such examples, more than the one-off examples u provided of such incidents on US campuses! But it'll take time, as the hub is not the only place I frequent when online! :)
Anyways, my whole idea of this point was to imply that such incidents that u mention r not uncommon even here! :)

@sathya, OK so ur college didnt witness such an incident, good! :)

But u cant deny that these happen on Indian college/univ. grounds. And more often than not, the perpetrators happen to be some influencial/politicially connected background! OTOH, this factor couldnt work in a foreign campus, right tamizh? :)

thamiz
13th May 2010, 06:27 AM
And more often than not, the perpetrators happen to be some influencial/politicially connected background! OTOH, this factor couldnt work in a foreign campus, right tamizh? :)

I seriously think you are watching too many tamil movies and got confused with realities! Perhaps, Gautam Menon's and Vijay's starers? :roll:

Lambretta
13th May 2010, 09:03 AM
And more often than not, the perpetrators happen to be some influencial/politicially connected background! OTOH, this factor couldnt work in a foreign campus, right tamizh? :)

I seriously think you are watching too many tamil movies and got confused with realities! Perhaps, Gautam Menon's and Vijay's starers? :roll:
:lol: Seriously speaking, I do not watch too many tamil movies, especially not the newer ones! :) Who is Gautam Menon btw? :roll: :?

So u deny that students from influential/political backgrounds dont have any kind of domination in any edu. institution here?! How long have u been away from India if I might ask? :)

thamiz
13th May 2010, 09:38 AM
Does it really matter?

I can try find some supporting information of crimes in india for you as you are coming with stories and blah blah.

Today, distance means nothing. I can also read "the hindu" everyday morning and keep up with everything in India in the internet world.

You seem to be living before christ times! Wake up!

Stiglitz
13th May 2010, 10:31 AM
Why must you get personal and emotional? What's wrong with a Civilized reply which addresses only the point instead of
You are coming with stories and blah blah

Like Lambretta's signature says "CHILL I SAY!!" 8-)

Ippadi tension aanal BP enna aguradhu? :P

okay, anyway, as you were. :wave: :twisted:

Lambretta
13th May 2010, 10:38 AM
Stiglitz, :exactly: :thumbsup: :D

And thamiz, Have a nice day! :D

Finished reading today's "Hindu" btw? :)

Wibha
13th May 2010, 01:30 PM
Thamiz does the hindu report EVERYTHING that happens in India? for you to say just by reading the newspaper you can keep up with everything?

There are so many little things that cab be known ONLY by physically being there.

Lambretta
13th May 2010, 03:09 PM
Thamiz does the hindu report EVERYTHING that happens in India? for you to say just by reading the newspaper you can keep up with everything?

There are so many little things that cab be known ONLY by physically being there.
:exactly: Well said, muchAcha! :thumbsup: :)

The online version especially doesnt report as comprehensively as the local paper we get here. They do have some interesting articles that I like to check out now and then, though......such as these (although nothing related to this topic, sorry! :oops:):

http://beta.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article427233.ece

http://beta.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article107535.ece

Sarna
13th May 2010, 03:47 PM
I can also read "the hindu" everyday morning and keep up with everything in India in the internet world.

amazed :clap: :clap: chanceless :bow: :bow:

Lambretta
13th May 2010, 09:02 PM
I can also read "the hindu" everyday morning and keep up with everything in India in the internet world.

amazed :clap: :clap: chanceless :bow: :bow:
Ithuku poyi neenga amaze aiteengana she will ask if u too r living Before Christ times! :lol: ;) :P

thamiz
13th May 2010, 11:07 PM
Why must you get personal and emotional? What's wrong with a Civilized reply which addresses only the poing instead of

okay, anyway, as you were. :wave:

New? :roll: Or just came up with a new id for saying this?! :lol:

thamiz
13th May 2010, 11:09 PM

I am certainly keeping up with serious issues happening in India. It is easy these days. But you are keep joking around! 8-)

thamiz
13th May 2010, 11:10 PM

Wibha, Do you know everything happening in USA?

I am sure you know very little just like Lambretta in India!

I mean even i fyou live in India, incidents do not always happen in your neighborhood. You learn only thru the media and newspaper or not? :roll:

Stiglitz
14th May 2010, 11:39 AM
Why must you get personal and emotional? What's wrong with a Civilized reply which addresses only the poing instead of

okay, anyway, as you were. :wave:

New? :roll: Or just came up with a new id for saying this?! :lol:

Whatever makes u all Comfy! :lol: :poke:

Glad to see u took my advice btw! Ur answers seem to have gotten a bit more of civilization in them. :mrgreen:

Stiglitz
14th May 2010, 11:43 AM

:exactly: and I learnt this very well after coming to India. It's as if the newspaper information is "theoretical" and learning things when u live here is the "practical Knowledge." If the Social Climate of India is a Subject that is. :P

Stiglitz
14th May 2010, 11:45 AM

:rotfl2:

Idhe sollitu endle oru ":)" poturukeengaley....ange thaan nikkareenge Lamby! :lol:

Lambretta
14th May 2010, 07:04 PM
I am certainly keeping up with serious issues happening in India. It is easy these days. But you are keep joking around! 8-)
Sollrathetho seriyavAthu sollungalE! :lol:

This doesnt seem the kind of English known to be found in The Hindu! :? :P

Sitglitz- hehe, my bad.....will use emoticons more generously next time! :P

/DIG

Stiglitz
14th May 2010, 07:28 PM

/DIG

Oruvelai Net-le irukura Hindu english ippadi thaano? :roll: :P :lol:

:poke:

thamiz
14th May 2010, 07:53 PM

Why do you think I should follow the "the Hindu" English? I only said, I learn information from "the Hindu"?

Anyway, you can have your opinion. Let me stick with mine. That is how most of the arguments end.

Good luck to you all! No hard feelings or whatsoever!

Lambretta
14th May 2010, 10:15 PM
Anyway, you can have your opinion. Let me stick with mine. That is how most of the arguments end.

Good luck to you all! No hard feelings or whatsoever!
Aah, good that at last we arrived at that mature conclusion! :thumbsup:

Yes, :exactly:

No hard feelings from me either! :)

PARAMASHIVAN
6th December 2010, 08:21 PM
There has been a massive increase in Indian Students studying in UK since 2008! All most 50% of them end up working to support families back home rather than studying