PDA

View Full Version : FAQ on Indian Travel

dev
25th November 2010, 12:09 PM
Hi ppl, can u pls let me know of some interesting tourist spots near coimbatore. Something with a travel time of 6 hours or less.

dev
25th November 2010, 08:21 PM
Any info on Trivandrum(accomodation, tourist spots nearby etc) wuld be of much use...:)

NOV
25th November 2010, 08:47 PM
Dev,we are actually planning a Travel forum, but adhukkullE neenga mundhitenga :P

I was in Trivandrum for 1.5 days and went to the following places:

- Padmanabha palace (its actually in TN but run by Kerala govt)

- Padmanaban temple - hubby needs to wear vEshtti and no shirt - they are very strict about this.

- Accommodation - go for Magic Eyes - excellent rooms and great food. The buffet dinner is just Rs200 and is great!

- Backwaters - not to be missed. Take the 2 hour boat ride, bring your camera and video camera.
Stop by at the floating restaurant and order your lunch. Then go over to the beach and catch the splendour of the Arabian sea. 20 mins your meal will be ready!

- Ayur Vedic oil massage - give it a miss. I got conned. :oops2:

- Shopping - not great but Parthas is not bad. Heard that it is Tamil owned.
Buy a Kerala saree :P

- Catch a Tamil movie in the cinema :D

- Don't miss eating the fish there. Vege food is not as easily available as in TN.

- Coffee is horrible.

- Almost everyone speaks/knows Tamil

NOV
25th November 2010, 09:07 PM
This is the floating restaurant...

[html:d5452c7151]
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1128.snc4/149010_10150093194832629_720372628_7625730_5674286 _n.jpg
[/html:d5452c7151]

19thmay
25th November 2010, 10:08 PM
Any info on Trivandrum(accomodation, tourist spots nearby etc) wuld be of much use...:)

Ponmudi is there. Its something close to a hill station.

Kollam is at a hour travel I guess. Beach, backwaters are there.

Siva or Ajaybaskar can guide you better than me.

dev
26th November 2010, 11:05 AM
Dev,we are actually planning a Travel forum, but adhukkullE neenga mundhitenga :P

Travel forum!!!...wow!!!!!!... I'm looking fwd...:D

I was in Trivandrum for 1.5 days and went to the following places:

- Padmanabha palace (its actually in TN but run by Kerala govt)

- Padmanaban temple - hubby needs to wear vEshtti and no shirt - they are very strict about this.

Veshtti ok... no shirt!!!... :roll:

NOV, can u pls give me the website for Magic eyes?... I did a google search but couldn't locate it...

Thanks a lot for all the other info... definitely helpful...:D

dev
26th November 2010, 11:08 AM

Ponmudi is there. Its something close to a hill station.

Kollam is at a hour travel I guess. Beach, backwaters are there.

Siva or Ajaybaskar can guide you better than me.

Thanks 19thmay...:) I understand that kovalam and sangumugham beach is closeby... and there is veli tourist village... Will chk out on ponmudi and kollam aswell...

SIVA, AJAYBASKAR- help pls...:)

NOV
26th November 2010, 01:01 PM
Veshtti ok... no shirt!!!... :roll: Thats quite normal in southern south india. :D

All the temples I went to had this requirement: Tiruchendur, Kanyakmari, Suchindram....
Heard that its the same in Guruvayur and Chottaakarani. :P

The name of the hotel is Magic Days. http://www.magicdays.in/

dev
26th November 2010, 01:16 PM
Veshtti ok... no shirt!!!... :roll: Thats quite normal in southern south india. :D

All the temples I went to had this requirement: Tiruchendur, Kanyakmari, Suchindram....
Heard that its the same in Guruvayur and Chottaakarani. :P

The name of the hotel is Magic Days. http://www.magicdays.in/

That's true...:)

Unfortunately, no rooms available during yr end/NY eve... :(

Jyothsna
26th November 2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Dev,

This may help you..

http://www.trivandrumonline.com/travelinformation/touristplaces.htm

dev
26th November 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks Jyo...:)

NM
29th November 2010, 05:51 AM
hi to those in TN :

any tips for where I can get artwork/wall hangings in Chennai ?
I'm really interested in bronze/copper wall art - i've seen a few in the restraunts over here.

Thanks much.
NM

P_R
29th November 2010, 08:37 AM
Check out Cholamandalam Artists's village on ECR. They have some real good stuff but may be on the higher end.

There are some art galleris like Vipaksha, Apparao etc. - I have only read about them though.

Poompuhar - the TN's government's handicraft showrooms are in many places in TN. They are a decent bet.

Victoria Technical Insitute on Mount Road in Chennai is said to have really good stuff. But it's slightly pricey compared to other places.

NM
29th November 2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks PR.

app_engine
29th November 2010, 09:22 AM
dev,
Coimbatore to Trivandrum could be more than 6 hours, unless you're speeding @ midnight among drunk truck drivers :-)

You could probably reach Kochi in about 3 hours from Cbe, if you drive. (Train'll take 4 hours).

Ooty is < 3 hours from Cbe.

NOV
29th November 2010, 09:24 AM
[tscii:0043251ca2]I have planned a Kerala trip for a friend.
Comments from anyone will be appreciated.

30 Dec
4.45 pm Arrive Cochin
6.00 pm Cochin-Guruvaayur (108 km)
8.00 pm Check in hotel

31 Dec
8.00 am Darshan at Guruvayoor Temple
Breakfast and Sightseeing
12.00pm Guruvaayur-Munnar (170 km)
4.00 pm Check in hotel
6.00 pm Ayur Vedic Massage
12.00 am New year at Munnar

1 Jan
9.00 am - Tour of Munnar - Atiripilly falls, Mattupetty Dam/Kundala dam for boating,
onwards Tea plantations, Eravikulam National Park, Devikulam, Mattupetty, Echo Point, Kundal Dam, etc

2 Jan
8.00 am Munnar-Trivandrum (300 km)
2.00 pm Tour of Trivandrum - Srichitra Art Gallery, Napier Museum and Zoo
5.00 pm Check in hotel at Kovalam

3 Jan
9.00 am Trivandrum-Alleppey (150 km)
1.00 pm Check in boathouse & Backwaters
Back water cruise through paddy fields, coconut lagoons, narrow canals and coir villages

4 Jan
10.00 am Allepey- Cochin (60 km)
12.00 pm Tour of Cochin – Dutch Palace, Jewish synagogue, The Spices auction rooms, St. Francis Church, Chinese fishing nets, etc.
6.00 pm Check in hotel

5 Jan
9.00 am Shopping & packing
2.00 pm Check out
5.15pm Depart to KL [/tscii:0043251ca2]

dev
29th November 2010, 02:43 PM
dev,
Coimbatore to Trivandrum could be more than 6 hours, unless you're speeding @ midnight among drunk truck drivers :-)

You could probably reach Kochi in about 3 hours from Cbe, if you drive. (Train'll take 4 hours).

Ooty is < 3 hours from Cbe.

No driving at night... most probably we'll start around 7 am... we should be comfortable as long as the travel time doesn't exceed 7 hrs or so... too many kids and it'll be hard to keep them engaged for more than that...

Ooty...too many NYs at ooty already... Also, I don't prefer hills coz of travel sickess...But if nothing works out, we'll be to Ooty again... :lol:

dev
29th November 2010, 03:10 PM
Any other interesting place with lesser travel time would be of great help... Pls exclude Munnar and allappey...:)

app_engine
29th November 2010, 07:26 PM
dev,
athirampaLLi / vAzhachchAl, if you have not been before, are must-visit places. Each place has a beautiful aruvi. (The former is famous for punnagai mannan and the later is relatively less crowded and breath-taking).

Both places can be reached with little diversion from the Cbe-Kochi highway at Chalakkudy.

If you're adventurous, silent valley near Palakkad is another fantastic spot. Don't visit there on a rainy day as leeches abound that suck blood.

PARAMASHIVAN
29th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Hi ppl, can u pls let me know of some interesting tourist spots near coimbatore. Something with a travel time of 6 hours or less.

Isha Foundation,
http://www.ishafoundation.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=315

dev
29th November 2010, 09:09 PM
dev,
athirampaLLi / vAzhachchAl, if you have not been before, are must-visit places. Each place has a beautiful aruvi. (The former is famous for punnagai mannan and the later is relatively less crowded and breath-taking).

Both places can be reached with little diversion from the Cbe-Kochi highway at Chalakkudy.

If you're adventurous, silent valley near Palakkad is another fantastic spot. Don't visit there on a rainy day as leeches abound that suck blood.

App_engine, will chk out details on athirampaLLi / vAzhachchAl. Not very adventurous when travelling with kids...:) Thanks a lot for the info...:)

BTW, we r planning for a 3-4 days trip...

dev
29th November 2010, 09:12 PM

Isha Foundation,

Isha foundation is a nice place for a one day visit...:)

PARAMASHIVAN
29th November 2010, 10:09 PM

Isha Foundation,

:shock:

My parents visited that place twice and they said they never felt like leaving it, esp the mediatation hall with Shivalingam!

dev
30th November 2010, 10:53 AM

Isha Foundation,

:shock:

My parents visited that place twice and they said they never felt like leaving it, esp the mediatation hall with Shivalingam!

Unga torture aala avanga avalo stressedaa irundhu irupaanga.... adhaan ISHA avalo mana nimmadhi thara idama therinjirukkum...:P

Yes, it's a nice place and one can spend weeks there... But ippo enga NY tripku anga poga mudiyaadhu...the guys will kill me if I suggest ISHA...and I'm sure U know why...;) :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
30th November 2010, 03:16 PM
[tscii:9d9456db4e]Dev

Even I heard about this 'issue' regarding ISha Foundation, but I find it hard to believe. I still Regard Sadguru as the most Rational and Logical Guru in the current era! His Explanation about everything through sheer rational narration is truly phenomenal, I don’t find this with any other enlightened guru's !
[/tscii:9d9456db4e]

dev
30th November 2010, 04:00 PM
PS, enna issue?... :think:

PARAMASHIVAN
30th November 2010, 04:06 PM

Some issue regarding Money Fraud within the foundation!

dev
30th November 2010, 06:42 PM

Some issue regarding Money Fraud within the foundation!

I C...