PDA

View Full Version : Kuala Lumpur Experiences

NOV
29th November 2010, 09:41 AM
Selamat Datang ke Malaysia!

[html:36ea5860fd]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/KL-Skyline_Night_HDR.JPG/800px-KL-Skyline_Night_HDR.JPG
[/html:36ea5860fd]

FLASH NEWS: Kuala Lumpur is the Sister City of Chennai!

http://truthdive.com/2010/11/26/chennai-is-now-kuala-lumpurs-sister-city.html

NOV
29th November 2010, 09:49 AM
So, you are planning a trip to KL - favorite destination of film directors. :lol:

Pre-visit Requirement:

VISA - Not long ago, there was no visa requirement for travel between India and Malaysia (as commonwealth countries). When Indira Gandhi was assasinated, India imposed visa restrictions on several countries, Malaysia being one of them, and naturally Malaysia reciprocated.

VOA (Visa on Arrival) is no longer issued for Indian cistizens and you need to apply for tourist visa at the nearest Malaysian embassy.

On the airplane, you will be provided a card to fill up stating particulars of visit. Have a pen standby in the plane.

NOV
29th November 2010, 10:00 AM
At the airport

Depending on your flight, you will be landing at either:

KLIA - Kuala Lumpur International Airport, or
http://www.klia.com.my/

LCCT - Low Cost Carrier Terminal
http://www.lcct.com.my/

Be ready for a long queue at the Immigration as many people flock to KL on a daily basis.

Upon clearing Immigration, collect your luggage and go through the Customs. If you have nothing todeclare, you can use the green lane.

Note: Trafficking drugs to Malaysia carries a mandatory death sentence.

Before you reach the exits of the airport terminals, there will be taxi counters. Please buy your pre-paid tickets here so that you do not get fleeced later. Payment in cash or card is accepted. The distance to KL city is about 45 kms.

From the taxi counter, you can walk out to the exit and decide on your next course of action. There are plenty of places to eat within both airports.

The taxi stands are just outside the Arrival hall and can be identified by signboards and people in queue. Do not worry - you won't have to wait long, as there will be plenty of taxis.
You give your pre-paid ticket to the person in charge and he will direct you to the next taxi that will be waiting and pass a portion of the ticket to the taxi driver.

Once in the taxi, just inform the driver your exact destination. There will be NO exchange of cash here, even for tolls.

Please note that wearing of seat-belts is compulsory.

NM
29th November 2010, 10:17 AM
Nov - thanks - i didn't know that we can get a pre-paid ticket for cabs. I'll let my friend know as she's planning a trip in February 2011.

Would you know how much it costs compared to the shuttle?

NOV
29th November 2010, 10:19 AM
Currency

[html:276a425adc]
http://www.travell.cz/obrazky/penize/malajsie/Malaysia-10Ringgit.jpg
[/html:276a425adc]

The currency is Ringgit (RM) and comes in 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100 denominations. 100 sen make up 1 ringgit.

10 ringgit = US$3.17
10 ringgit = INR145
10 ringgit = S$4.18

How do you call the Ringgit in different languages:

Malay - ringgit and sen
Tamil - velli and kaasu
English - dollars and cents

Thus if you go shopping in Little India and say paththu ringgit, he will know that you are a tourist. :D
It is paththu velli. RM3.20 is moonu velli 20 kaasu or just moonu-iruvadhu.
Similarly in English - three dollars 20 cents or just three-twenty
When buying jasmine strings, its mozham 50 kaasu (col: ambadhu-yiaasu).

NOV
29th November 2010, 10:28 AM
Would you know how much it costs compared to the shuttle?OK, besides taxis, there are several other ways to travel, but these would be inconvenient if you are a large group or with many bags.

Star shuttle airport coach - line 8 at LCCT and platform 6 at KLIA
RM20 per pax

Express rail link (The KLIA Ekspres is a premium non-stop high-speed train service that connects KLIA and the Kuala Lumpur city center. Cruising at a top speed of 160km/h, the journey takes just 28 minutes, operating at 15-minute intervals.)
This one costs RM35 per person.

The rail link is to KL Sentral and from there you need to connect (easily) to your final destination.

NOV
29th November 2010, 11:40 AM
Communications

Language will not be a barrier as most people can speak English.
The national language is Malay and it will impress shopkeepers if you speak to them in that language.

Tamil is the lingua franca of all local Malaysian Indians. Tamils comprise the majority of local Malaysian Indians, and this is reflected in shopping, eating, entertainment, etc. Tamils are fiercely proud of thier language and will tell you that the first 24 hour Tamil radio station was in Malaysia and that the first Tamil TV station to be named in Tamil was also from Malaysia. :P

Besides Malay, English and Tamil, several dialects of Chinese such as Mandarin, Cantonese and Hokkien are spoken. You don't have to speak any of these though. :)

Cell Phones
They are called hand-phones here. You can purchase a sim card easily almost everywhere, but will need to register it with your passport. The starting charges are less than 10 RM.

Reloads (or recharges as its known in India) is also fairly easy and available at all nooks and corners, 7-11s, petrol stations, etc.

You can reload for 10, 20, 30, 50 or 100 RM. There is NO charge for incoming calls or messages.
Also the value of the reload will be the same as you have purchased it for, meaning you will get 10 dollars worth of talktime for 10 dollars reload.

Public phones
Are available but hardly anyone uses them nowadays. You will need coins for these phones.

Wi Fi

Is available free in many public places like shopping complexes, restaurants, etc. People sit in Starbucks for hours to no end just by purchasing a cup of coffee. :D

19thmay
29th November 2010, 12:32 PM
Valuable informations - Thank you so much NOV brother. :D

Roshan
29th November 2010, 01:08 PM
Good info. I have been to KL twice and the best thing I like there is the food :slurp: (specially the non-veg items). Apart from my home country it is in KL that I have loved and enjoyed food thoroughly.

NOV
30th November 2010, 01:05 PM
Thank you friends. The purpose of this series (more countries to follow from other Hubbers) is to have a permanent record of places to visit with helpful tips tailored to our needs.

Others who have visited these places are also welcome to provide thier feedback as divergent experiences will be useful. :)

NOV
30th November 2010, 01:31 PM
FOOD

Vegetarian Food is easily available in most parts of Kuala Lumpur. If you do not mind restaurants that serve both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food, then the choices are really aplenty.

However fast food outlets like KFC, McDonalds, etc DO NOT have specific vegetarian meals, unlike in some western countries.

If you are strictly vegetarian and will not be comfortable in places selling non vegetarian food, you still do not have to go hungry. You have the following places to go:

Saravana Bhavan at Bangsar, Masjid India and Petaling Jaya
Bakthi Woodlands at Leboh Ampang
Lakshmi Vilas at Leboh Ampang
Madras New Woodlands at Bangsar
Gandhi's at Brickfields
Chaat Masala at Brickifields
Annalakshmi in Sri Hartamas
Govindas in Masjid India
Radhe's in Old Klang Road
Sanskrit in Subang Jaya

and many more. Just google. :)

There are many Chinese vegetarian restaurants too, but they serve mock meat, ie food made to look like and prepared like non-vegetarian. If you want to be adventurous, seek out:

Amata Vegetarian Restaurant
Bamboo Vegetarian Court
Cameleon Vegetarian Restoran
De Health Paradise Organic
Fai Cai Xiang Vegetarian Restaurant
Kuan Fatt Vegetarian Restaurant
Mahligai Vegetarian Restaurant
Mamitas Vegetarian Food
Nature's Vegetarian Restaurant
Pinewind Vegetarian Restaurant Sdn Bhd

and more.

If you are not particular, then there are Indian restaurants at every nook and corner of Kuala Lumpur, serving thOsai, idli, poori, parotta, chappathi, vadai, uppumaa, etc for breakfast, and banana leaf lunches and dinners.

Recommended are:

Thalapakkatti Briyani in Sentul
Rajus in Petaling Jaya
Many restaurants in Brickfields (Little India)
Nirvana Maju in Bangsar & Subang Jaya
Devis Corner in Bangsar and Sri Hartamas
Chettinad in Bangsar

and many more :P

Besides the above, there are also upscale restaurants serving Indian food such as The Taj, Bangles, Bombay Palace, Bharaths, Passage Thru India

P_R
30th November 2010, 02:22 PM
Visited KL a couple of years back with my parents.
I had a great time, thanks largely to NOV's good guidance and great company. :ty:

Singapore and Malaysia are probably the ideal places to take South Indians to. Particularly, those, who would like to travel abroad but are hesitant to be too experimental about culture, food etc,

Traditional attractions like the KL Tower (which I saw) and Petronas (which I didn't because a cab driver dumped us :hammer:) are lovely. The view of the city from the KL tower is not to be missed.

But do take a tour of the city, the markets, the lovely Merdeka Square with the huge flagpole, the city museum, the river running unobtrusively through the city etc. This way when you are up there you will enjoy the view more.

First time visitors from India would also notice the way the highways and city's (apparently) arterial roads are layer upon layer upon layer. Chennai was going to do something of that sort and got berated by the International Transporation authority and asked to invest more in public transport.

If you are the shopping freak there's a tonne of places. From high end malls, to enormously large discount stores, to street shopping districts. And as I've sounded like a brochure thus far let me complete it by saying - you can get your tired soles massaged back to life with the reflexology massage centers which seem to be everywhere.

For those who are particular about vegetarian food, there are lots of Vegetarian stuff like: Mee Goreng (first time I've ever heard noodles served on banana leaf!), Roti Canai.

Teh-tahrik is the popular version of tea in Malaysia. More dilute and sweeter. Unlike SIndian thimblefulls it is served in mugs! Yours truly had about 4-5 straight till groucho tapped me on the shoulder and said: you do realize, this is not beer, right? :lol2:

Went to a pub (Asoka, was it NOV?) where they disapprove of eardrums. The music was 80-90s TFM ! (which is at best played as occasional thukkada pieces at home). They had live performers lip-synching to the songs imitating actors. It was a curious mix of college show type performers in a disc!

The star attraction though is the murugan temple in Batu caves. Must say the huge statue - impressive as it is - has kind of stolen the thunder from the real beauty, which is the cave itself.

You walk up the stairway to heaven, and after greviously injuring your lung and making those fake fitness regieme promises you enter the caves. Quite well preserved, for the amount of people who throng there, its pleasant chill, the moistness in the air, the dripping stalactites (or is it stalagmites, I will never get this right) are a lovely treat.

Putra Jeya - a planned city which was built as the admin HQ for the government is an hour away from KL. The scale and finish of the buildings are attractive. Particularly the Putra mosque (apparently modeled after the main mosque in Baghdad, which is apparently one of the largest in the world).

We went on a boat ride across the river there. There are about half a dozen bridges. Each one styled after a famous bridge in the world. So it is like jampacking a whirlwind world tour in 30 mins !

Malaysia is lot more pocket friendly than Singapore. You can rent a cab for a day to go around, eat and pretty good places and shop and generally have fun and you will not be drilling a hole in your pocket.

Have fun :thumsup:

NOV
30th November 2010, 02:58 PM
Excellent PR :thumbsup:

The view from the visitor is defintely an eye-opener as compared with one who is living there. :D

NOV
1st December 2010, 01:08 PM
Food (cont'd)

While in Malaysia, do try some local food, as Malaysia is known to be a food paradise with Indian, Chinese, Malay & Western food easily available. There are others too like Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, French, German, Mexican, Italian, etc.

Roti Canai

The king of all food in Malaysia is the Roti Canai, aka as Parotta in India, and Pratta in Singapore.
It is available and eaten for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, supper and any time in between.

Unlike in India, Roti Canai is served with Dhall/Sambar/Fish curry/Sambal and not salna. No one here knows what salna is :lol2:

[html:eecd2a39fb]
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YhgHpsAKn4c/TJlWbWJ7v2I/AAAAAAAAEds/uj2GdGsqTPE/s1600/roti.jpg
[/html:eecd2a39fb]

There are several kinds of rotis available

Plain roti
Roti telur - egg roti
Roti bawang - onion roti
Roti pisang - banana roti
Roti tissue - crispy roti (with a dash of condensed milk)
Roti sardine - roti filled with sardine, onions and egg
Murtabak - roti filled with meat/chicken, egg, onion & masala
& many more! :D

Mee Goreng

http://www.fototime.com/ED37741EC6D8E53/orig.jpg

This is a yellow noodle dish made Indian style. (BTW, you get fresh noodles here unlike Maggi dried noodles). This is a strange contation of Indian, Chinese and Western - with chilly and tomato sauce.

You can also ask for a vegetarian version.

Nasi Lemak

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2009/01/nasi.jpg

This is the national dish of Malaysia - rice cooked in coconut milk and served with sambal, anchovies, egg and peanuts.
One of the favourites for breakfast, you can get a vegetarian version is some Indian restaurants.

Chicken Rice

http://puteih.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hainanese-chicken-rice.jpg

A lunch rime favourite, this dish consists of rice cooked in chicken soup and served with chicken slices and chicken soup.

Satay

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OcSDGK5gfFI/TMhxfHBcXEI/AAAAAAAAAVE/PmpWmY02zK0/s1600/satay.jpg

Skewers of meat roasted over charcoal fire and served with delicious peanut sauce.

There are many more dishes that you should enjoy, but bear in mind that the Chinese food you get here is the real thing and not the Indianised version of India. (Anything cooked with aji no moto and pepper is considered chinese there - my eyeballs almost popped out when I saw chinese fried rice made with basmati, in India!)

ajaybaskar
1st December 2010, 04:33 PM
Excellent info, Nov bro.. :D

Ippo Murtabakukku naan adimai.. :-)

raghavendran
1st December 2010, 06:26 PM
P_R
asaiya thundreenga...poganum poladhan irukku :D

AudazJay
2nd December 2010, 01:42 PM
:D Wow, the food looks tempting even to a local like me :lol:

Additional info on Satay- for the best Satay, Kajang is the place to go! I've tried eating satay in a number of places in KL and Penang, but nothing comes close to the ones in Kajang :slurp:

suvai
7th December 2010, 08:12 AM
omg nov ngov....fancy food items for lunch & breakfast....roti canai kooda....i see saambar...what are the rest of the two in that plate nga? i like that long list of the roti available with also...bananaa.....condensed milk...(i have had that one before)
very interesting information....i read & made some mental notes too :mrgreen:

what is that murbaktantan something :mrgreen:

NOV
7th December 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Ajay

suvai,

Roti Canai is served with Dhall/Sambar/Fish curry/Sambal
Murtabak - roti filled with meat/chicken, egg, onion & masala

[html:9b5e97f7b5]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/noormasri/pic159.jpg
[/html:9b5e97f7b5]

suvai
7th December 2010, 08:32 AM
thank u nga nov....for the visual effects :mrgreen:
it sure is tempting....;-)

suvai
7th December 2010, 08:38 AM
places of interest.....that one can visit pathiyum podungalen plz ;-)..

NOV
8th December 2010, 10:20 AM
Places to Visit: KLCC / Petronas Twin Towers

[html:6ab5880e1c]
http://yeinjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/malaysia-klcc-001.jpg
[/html:6ab5880e1c]

What would be Kuala Lumpur visit be without a tour of Petronas Twin Towers, formerly the tallest building in the world from 1998 to 2004. (But the towers are still the tallest twin towers in the world)

Many Tamil films have these towers as the background, as is found in many other movies too, including the Sean Connery hollywood movie, Entrapment.

OK, what is there to see? Actually there is plenty. The Towers are just one portion of a huge project called KLCC or Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

1. You can go up to the skybridge on the 41st floor and get a commanding view of KL.

GO EARLY: Here is how the system works: Tickets to the skybrige are given FREE between 8.00 am and 12.00pm. You have to queue to get the tickets. Your ticket will tell you what time your tour will be. After getting the ticket, do your tour of the rest of KLCC and come back to the Towers at the appointed time. You and your group will be shown a short film on the history behind the towers and then will be taken up the skybrige via super-sonic lifts. Note that this is an accompanied, limited-time tour. You are allowed to take photos/video throughout the tour.

http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/view-from-sky-bridge-petronas-twin-towers.jpg

You can also take photos/videos at the base, but be warned, you will either be microscopically tiny or won't be able to capture the entire towers.

2. Shopping at Suria KLCC

Shop like you are in the UK with many floors of specialty stores, open air cafes, food courts, and restaurants. And while waiting, you can catch a Tamil film at the cineplex here (Tamil films play at the best cinemas in Malaysia.)

http://www.mir.com.my/leofoo/KLCC/CYLeow/KLCCXmas.jpg

While you are at the shopping complex, do not forget to check out the huge bookstore, Kinokuniya!

3. KLCC Park

The park is located directly below the PETRONAS Twin Towers, creating an awesome contrast of steel and greenery. The park features various amnities such as a two-acre children's playground, symphony fountain, wading pool, jogging track, shelters and benches, patterned foot-paths and sculptures.

http://birdforum.my/photo/albums/userpics/normal_PB020009.JPG

4. Acquaria

Aquaria KLCC features thousands of freshwater and marine species from all across globe. Facinating facts on the spieces are presented on screens along the Discovery Zones.
Cost is about RM45 for foreigners

5. Petrosains

Located on level 4 of Suria KLCC, this modern contemporary science centre allows visitors to touch, feel and interact with displays and exhibits aimed at stimulating interest in science and technology, particularly in petroleum science.

http://www.suriaklcc.com.my/auxil/petrosains_img.jpg

6. Dewan Filharmonik PETRONAS

Located between the two towers at the podium level is a world-class concert hall with 865 seating capacity.

So, you can spend at least a minimum of half day at this site.

NOV
8th December 2010, 12:41 PM
Places to Visit: Batu Caves

[html:6f0656d2d2]
http://www.hotelreservation.com.my/tour/DSCN3942.JPG
[/html:6f0656d2d2]

Yet another must-see in Kuala Lumpur, Batu Caves is on the outskirts of KL.

Many Tamil films have been shot here, right from Varuvaan Vadivelan days to Billa and Kannamoochi Yenadaa recently.

Batu Caves, a 400 million year-old limestone hill with beautiful stalactites and stalagmites, is nature's wonder. The temple was built about 120 years ago by Indian immigrants, and is often refered to as "Ezhaam Padai" of Lord Murugan.

The temple grounds adjoining the massif sprawl over an area of 16 acres of flat land. A Tamil School run by the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple Devasthanam is built on the grounds.

As you enter you are greeted by the tallest Murugan structure in the world. Yes, you read that right!

http://www.destination360.com/asia/malaysia/images/s/batu-caves.jpg

As you enter the gates, you forget the moment and think that you are still in Tamilnadu. :D
A huge Vel welcomes you and as you walk through, you sight a Vinayagar temple. Just to the left are smaller temples featuring Murugan from Thiruparamkundram, Thiruchendur, Pazhani, Swamimalai, Thiruthani and Pazhamudhircholai.

On the right is Suriyan temple, together with the navakragams. You can also see several restaurants selling a delicious variety of vegetarian Southern Indian Food.

You enter the Vinayagar temple, and then turn left and see Meenakshi Amman in all Her splendour. Next to it is a short flight of steps and you are led to Kailaasam!

Having finished all that, you step out of Vinaayagar temple and turn to your right. As you walk up you are greeted by golden domes, with Venketesaran and his consort welcoming you.

After your prayers there, you walk up and are greeted by a cage full of monkeys. Unsurprisingly, there is a Hanuman temple there, with a huge statue of Anjaneyar tearing open his body to reveal Raman and Seetha in his heart!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UxgbCJ6v5p4/R_dZxwVF_qI/AAAAAAAAEKk/zEvZIHSZlWc/IMG_5766.jpg

Finishing all prayers at Ground level, you now go back to the adivaaram and start walking up the 272 steps to pay obeiyance to Batu Malai Murugan!
The climb is steep and you run out of breath soon. But paradise awaits you on top.

http://batucaveshotel.com/images/selangor_batu_caves3.jpg

The floor is cool, the atmosphere hill-like. Unrealisingly you feel trance-like, the weariness of cllimbing forgotten.
You worship Murugan and then sit down on the floor to take in the senses pervading you.
You understand now why milliuns of devotees gather here every Thaipusam, making it the biggest congregration of Hindus in the world!

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/390/390,1234393342,5/stock-photo-kuala-lumpur-malaysia-feb-celebration-of-thaipusam-at-batu-caves-on-february-24830485.jpg

If you are doubtful, try typing Thaipusam in google and see where it takes you. :D

Dinesh84
8th December 2010, 01:00 PM
Very Tempting.. :slurp:

NOV
26th December 2010, 09:57 PM
Very Tempting.. :slurp:
The world's best economical airlines with the tagline "Now everyone can fly."

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.html

NOV
22nd February 2011, 06:05 AM
Thamizhvaanan @ Emu @ Benny Lava was here a few weeks ago; awaiting his experiences....

Nerd
6th November 2011, 10:49 PM
P_R, (or anybody who has gotten a Msia/Spore tourist visa from India) - How long does it take for one to get both the visas (from the Chennai consulate)? What's the procedure? I guess one can simply send their passport and documents and they ll stamp the visa and send it back? From what I saw in the internet it takes 2 working days each for Singapore/Malaysia. Is that right? Is there a way to expedite it?

Googleaandavar aint helping :-(

P_R
7th November 2011, 12:45 AM
It took me 4-5 days for Sing and Malaysia together - travel agent did it, so don't know the time splits. Both counsels are in Chennai. I don't think it can expedited more. Sing IIRC requires you to copies of tickets booked -in and out - and a credit card (for expenses).

Bala (Karthik)
7th November 2011, 12:43 PM
P_R, (or anybody who has gotten a Msia/Spore tourist visa from India) - How long does it take for one to get both the visas (from the Chennai consulate)? What's the procedure? I guess one can simply send their passport and documents and they ll stamp the visa and send it back? From what I saw in the internet it takes 2 working days each for Singapore/Malaysia. Is that right? Is there a way to expedite it?

Googleaandavar aint helping :-(
Sing: My second daughter had to come here on a tourist visa and we then applied for her dependent visa. So, we had to expedite the process. IIRC, it was done in 2 days. Conduct Magellan Travels, Chetpet - 28363747/28363617

Yes, we send the passport, tickets and they send it back with the visa

Plum
7th November 2011, 04:15 PM
" Conduct Magmellan travels":rotfl: - ingE kooda word distortionA? Adhu magmellanA mcmillanA? edhai distort pannuvingannu edhai mAttingannu sollave mudiyaradhillai

Nerd
7th November 2011, 06:25 PM
நன்றி P_R/Bala. Will contact immediat. Ingana irukkura consulate-aiyum visaarikkanum. I may not have 4-5 days during my India trip next month to wait on it.. Anyway lets see how it goes..

app_engine
18th November 2011, 01:25 AM
நன்றி P_R/Bala. Will contact immediat. Ingana irukkura consulate-aiyum visaarikkanum. I may not have 4-5 days during my India trip next month to wait on it.. Anyway lets see how it goes..

People travelling to Singapore from U.S. may be able to get a visitor visa on the airport. (My wife & kids visited S'pore that way a couple of years back when they had almost a day's gap on their travel plans but it was en-route)...

Nerd
18th November 2011, 06:15 PM
People travelling to Singapore from U.S. may be able to get a visitor visa on the airport. (My wife & kids visited S'pore that way a couple of years back when they had almost a day's gap on their travel plans but it was en-route)...
Thank you a_e. I guess they have stopped issuing visa on arrival for Indian nationals. And we plan on going from India and coming back to India.

I actually got the Singapore visa. This piece of info may be useful to future travelers - Singapore visa process is extremely easy. They issue e-visas. This was the first time I heard of such a term. All you need to know is some PR/citizen from Singapore who can apply for you using his/her SingPass. Applied online, (you just need to upload a picture, give some basic details on that form) at around 6 a.m. Singapore time and I got the e-visa issued at around 4 p.m. the same day. Excellent process :clap: :thumbsup:

But Malaysia aint e-visa I guess.. As far as I have seen Malaysia's govt. websites are very shoddy. They have a consulate in the USA and when I asked about visa requirements, they simply hung up on me.

NOV
18th November 2011, 06:23 PM
As far as I have seen Malaysia's govt. websites are very shoddy. They have a consulate in the USA and when I asked about visa requirements, they simply hung up on me.vetkka paduren vEdhanai padurEn.... :cry:

pls see whether this is of any help...

http://www.kln.gov.my/web/guest/requirement-for-foreigner

BTW, should we prepare for a KL Hubbers Meet? :D

Nerd
18th November 2011, 09:03 PM
Certainly useful NOV. Anyway I am going to contact a travel agency in Chennai to get the Msian visa. They said the turnaround time is 2 days.

As for the hubbers meet, I may not have the time. Too many things to do in KL/Penang/Genting and too little time (3 days). And we are a big group too (Father, Mother, Bro, Sis-in-law, nephew, niece + us). So don't know if I can steal some time. Will let you know if I can..

I found the other posts in this thread very helpful. Thanks to you and P_R. :ty:

1 question - The train website (sing-Msia) does not work or I don't know how to query it.. (http://www.ktmb.com.my) I chose singapore and KL sentral it does not show any trains.

NOV
19th November 2011, 07:54 AM
Why do you want to take the train, esp since you are rushing for time. Flight from Singapore to KL is only 30 mins, while it will take abt 6 hours by train.

For train route, go here: http://ktmintercity.com.my/default.asp?id=25&mnu=2
Choose North & South line
I think there are only two trains - one early in the morning and one late at night.

Nerd
20th November 2011, 09:28 PM
Why do you want to take the train, esp since you are rushing for time. Flight from Singapore to KL is only 30 mins, while it will take abt 6 hours by train.

For train route, go here: http://ktmintercity.com.my/default.asp?id=25&mnu=2
Choose North & South line
I think there are only two trains - one early in the morning and one late at night.
Thank you NOVji. Flights are expensive unless you take an early morning or late night. Those are fine too but Fri late night and Sat early morning are not cheap and thats when we want to go :oops: Anyway I guess even trains aint that cheap. Still exploring the options..

NOV
20th November 2011, 09:45 PM
Try Air Asia http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.html
Cheap no-frills flight

Just tried for Jan 10th midday - the cost pp is just 36 Sing dollars or 27USD!

Nerd
20th November 2011, 10:13 PM
Yes I did try Airasia/Tiger/Jetstar. Dec 22nd eve-night or 23rd early morning is expensive. Btw we booked the return (to India) through airasia, got the promo fair. 8 tickets for around 47K INR. This is including seat selections, 4 pieces of check-in baggage.

NOV
21st November 2011, 05:51 PM
Sounds good. Include the meal too.
btw, make sure you check in online, otherwise you will have to pay for it at the airport.

for your sing-KL journey, suggest you take a bus.
4 hours ride only

This is one of the better ones: https://www.aeroline.com.sg/sin_kul.html

Nerd
21st November 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks again NOV. I don't know if its just me I always run into issues with all the .my / .sg sites. Will check again from home computer in the evening..

joe
21st November 2011, 09:43 PM
I actually got the Singapore visa. This piece of info may be useful to future travelers - Singapore visa process is extremely easy. They issue e-visas. This was the first time I heard of such a term.

Yes , I did for Anban once ..

joe
21st November 2011, 09:49 PM
Nerd,
coming to Sing ? when ? :)

joe
21st November 2011, 09:53 PM
Nerd ..edit panniten :)

Nerd
21st November 2011, 10:13 PM
:lol: You think they ll sniff this forum and reprimand him? He is supposed to but the form asks so many details about us and also he has been holidaying in India with very limited access to Internet and won't return until the first week of December..

joe
21st November 2011, 10:14 PM
I chose singapore and KL sentral it does not show any trains.

தண்டாவாளம் இருந்தா தானே ட்ரெயின் விடுவாங்க .They closed the Tanjog Pagar railway station in singapore (which belongs to Malaysia) ..Singapore and Malaysia decided to exchange the land (Give Tanjong Bagar to Singapore and move the station near woodlands check point) ..I think the service is not available for time being .

joe
21st November 2011, 10:17 PM
Nerd :)

Nerd
21st November 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Joe.. :D Oh.. appO train illaiyaa.. Was looking at this -http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm and thought overnight train will work for us.. Appo flight illainaa bus dhaan..

Nerd
21st November 2011, 10:21 PM
OK Joe, I will go back and edit it. Edhukku thevai illaadha prachanai? :-) You also pls. edit the quoted message..

Yes Joe, we (appa/amma/annan/anni/pillaigalx2/naan/manaivi) will be there for two days in Dec - 22 and 23.

joe
21st November 2011, 10:30 PM
Nerd,
I am not sure whether a train from Woodlands ,but I am sure no more from Tanjong bagar .
Btw , This train may not be that convenient as you may expect ..It is almost like our train in India ,as it was by British . If you prefer this for convenience , better go for Coach bus ..Bus-lam chumma banthava irukkum and the road is ultimate ..

Nerd
21st November 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks Joe, yeah read some bad reviews about the train. First/Premium class is good it seems but it costs >100 SGD :shock: And I have two American born/raised kids travelling with me, so will settle for whichever makes them feel *American* :lol:

joe
21st November 2011, 10:33 PM
will be there for two days in Dec - 22 and 23.

:(
அது எப்டிங்க கரீக்டா நான் கிறிஸ்துமசுக்கு ஊருக்கு போகும் போது நீங்க இங்கே வர்றீங்க.

Nerd
21st November 2011, 10:46 PM
:-) எங்களுக்கும் கிறிஸ்துமஸ் / வருடப்பிறப்புக்குத் தானே லீவ் விடுறானுங்க இங்கே..

NOV
22nd November 2011, 06:22 AM
அது எப்டிங்க கரீக்டா நான் கிறிஸ்துமசுக்கு ஊருக்கு போகும் போது நீங்க இங்கே வர்றீங்க.naa inga irundhum ennai paarkka vara maattaaraam :sigh2:

joe
22nd November 2011, 08:48 AM
:lol:

Nerd
22nd November 2011, 11:14 PM
naa inga irundhum ennai paarkka vara maattaaraam :sigh2:
:lol: NOVji KL-la naanga irukkappOradhu <24 hours, adhaiyum kooda kuraikkalaamaannu discussion pOittirukku (KL-la chumma building / downtown America-la paarkkaadhadhaa). Batu Caves kaNdippaa pOvOm.. We will talk. I will keep you updated once the itinerary is confirmed.

NOV
23rd November 2011, 07:28 PM
Don't miss Little India in Brickfields : http://borneotip.blogspot.com/2010/11/little-india-brickfields.html
I assure you its nothing like the little indias you may find in the rest of the world...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5fskmj6aG8Y/TM9L303_9NI/AAAAAAAAVBY/RTJ2kplDoZg/s1600/li13.bmp

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5fskmj6aG8Y/TM9L3m0gljI/AAAAAAAAVBI/BHbxnSEsZ-8/s1600/li11.bmp

Nerd
24th November 2011, 09:01 PM
Sure NOV. Will at least stop by for a quick meal or something..

Nerd
5th January 2012, 12:47 AM
The best part about the trip to KL/Malaysia was the food. Ate in all kinds of restaurents (low/mid/high) and the food was uniformly good. My mouth still waters thinking of the roti chanais and the murtabhaks and the fried noodles and the chicken/fish gravy they serve with everything, even with dhosais :oops: And they were all easy on the stomach too.

The anjappar in Singapore - lovely place. What taste ya. Beats the one at Pondy bazaar which I thought was the best.

app_engine
5th January 2012, 03:06 AM
The anjappar in Singapore - lovely place. What taste ya. Beats the one at Pondy bazaar which I thought was the best.

Have you tried the one in New Jersy?
(run by my college year mate :-) )

NOV
5th January 2012, 06:13 AM
The best part about the trip to KL/Malaysia was the food..:happydance:
dOsai with mutton curry is simply out of the world :slurp:

oru phone kooda pannala :x

groucho070
5th January 2012, 07:51 AM
He came. He ate. He left.

NOV
5th January 2012, 07:57 AM
he came. He ate. He left.vts?

groucho070
5th January 2012, 08:08 AM
vts-nA? Vehicle Tracking System?

NOV
5th January 2012, 08:13 AM
illai.. thamizhaakkam... enna idhu rakesh, KL airportlE thamizh.....

Bala (Karthik)
5th January 2012, 06:20 PM
Actually ippo suvaiyum tharamum light-a kammi aana maadhiri irukku (either that or i got used to it and hence underwhelmed). And the last time i ate there, sikkan la tholu irundhuchu :hammer:

P_R
5th January 2012, 06:45 PM
When I went with Joe and anoof, ange vegetabuzh biriyAni saaptirukkEn :oops:

Bala (Karthik)
5th January 2012, 08:38 PM
When I went with Joe and anoof, ange vegetabuzh biriyAni saaptirukkEn :oops:
Naanum usual-a vijjitabLe biryani and thottukka chicken gravy solradhu. I'm not a very big fan of chicken Biryani (unless dhum style la senja)

Nerd
5th January 2012, 09:16 PM
Have you tried the one in New Jersy?
(run by my college year mate :-) )
Illeeng. Tried the one in San Jose. Was not that great. Also tried the ones in Anna Nagar/Nungambakkam etc. was not that impressed. Pondy bazaar one is pure gold.

oru phone kooda pannala :mad:
:oops: It was such a poorly planned trip. So much so that I (who is so used to US driving) had to drive at 150ish from Aloe Star to Butterworth to catch a night train to KL risking the lives of 4 others in the car.

He came. He ate. He left.
:lol: :oops: Was really impressed with KL. Went to Penang and Langkawi (spent a total of 3 hrs there :lol2: ) Dint like Singapore at all :oops:

Actually ippo suvaiyum tharamum light-a kammi aana maadhiri irukku (either that or i got used to it and hence underwhelmed). And the last time i ate there, sikkan la tholu irundhuchu :hammer:
May be the day I went there was sort of an off-day! Every single dish was fantastic. My parents liked the veggie dishes too.

app_engine
6th January 2012, 03:11 AM
had to drive at 150ish

mph? :shock:

Or, was it kmph...

Nerd
6th January 2012, 04:31 AM
Kph :-)

We had to travel around 150 kms in an hour and half. Speed limit on that highway was 110 kph and my cousin's wife (whose car I drove) was scared to go beyond 90. So I offered to drive. The last time I drove on the left was over 8 years ago :oops:

NOV
6th January 2012, 05:42 AM
paavam cousin's wife... summons for speeding will come leisurely :)
great to know that you enjoyed KL very much. do share the places you went so that other potential visitors can plan accordingly. :)

Nerd
6th January 2012, 09:04 PM
The usual suspects only NOV. Batu caves - the huge Murugan statue is v pretty. Built with superb precision I must say. And when I looked at the steps I thought it would be an easy job to climb and there were only 285 steps. But only after I started climbing I realized it wasnt going to be easy. Anyway the sight at the top is not to be missed. You d feel emotionally empty at the top. But was not impressed with the actual temple and with the fact that tourists roam around freely in chappals etc. inside the temple (not inside the actual sannidhaanams obviously). And I am not very religious/spiritual so can't comment on how the spiritual experience was. And watching monkeys snatch the archanai polythene bags of returning bhakthargaL was max. fun :-D

Did a tour of Putrajeya. The structures were amazingly built. Also stepped into the auditorium (not exactly - just the building) where Enthiran's audio launch took place. Looked super good. And realized how many film songs were shot in that city(?). :-)

Went to the base of the KL city communication tower. Nobody was interested to go to the top and the queue was extremely long too. Anyway have been on top of the Sears tower and bunch of others in the USA so no real interest.

And the most popular - petronas towers, at night. What a fantastic sight it was! I heard that they illuminate the towers only on weekends or something. We were lucky to catch it while we were there. It was a stunning sight and took quite a few pictures, parking once on the highway right across the towers too :lol2: And also went to the base and took some pictures and kept on looking at the huge structure for a long time eventhough we were all tired.

A little tour of little India and the usual shopping sites like Haniffa, couple of roadside shopping etc. Batu Murugan and Petronas at night were the best. And again, nothing beats the food. And they were dirt cheap too. A dhosai with chicken curry for 1.5 - 2RM, whoa!

And stayed at my brother's friend's condo which was in brickfields. 23rd floor and one could see both the petronas and the KL communication tower and the entire KL sky line right from his living room. Awesome sight.

Roshan
6th January 2012, 10:47 PM
The best part about the trip to KL/Malaysia was the food. Ate in all kinds of restaurents (low/mid/high) and the food was uniformly good. My mouth still waters thinking of the roti chanais and the murtabhaks and the fried noodles and the chicken/fish gravy they serve with everything, even with dhosais :oops: And they were all easy on the stomach too.

Hope you had a nice time.

Food is really really good in KL. The chicken varuval is the best chicken dish I've ever had. Thanks to Yoga thambi and some of the other KL hubbers for taking me to good restaurants and also for paying the bills :p Saappaadunna adhu KL thaan. especially non-veg dishes.

NOV
7th January 2012, 07:30 AM
you are right Nerd - malaikOttai 400+ steps can be easily climbed, but BC 272 steps are difficult, cos they are quite steep... think of the kavadi-bearers every thaipusam :)

wish you had gone up the KL (telecoms) Towers - there is a revolving restaurant up there and you can view KL from all angles just by sitting at one place. :)

Ok, can you post some pictures? :D

Nerd
8th January 2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks Roshan. Kinda sorta enjoyed the trip. Could have been much better :-)

NOV, picturesaa.. viraivil :-)

directhit
9th January 2012, 07:11 AM
Nerd, singaila enna itinerary .. Airport->Anjappar->Airport aa :evil:

Nerd
9th January 2012, 09:11 PM
Nerd, singaila enna itinerary .. Airport->Anjappar->Airport aa :evil:
:lol:

The purpose of the singai trip was to see a relative and a Surya-Deva friend. Stayed at the relative's place near the Yishun train station. Friend lives near the Sempawang station. Did not quite like Singapore. To quote a random B-Grade thamizh pulp novelist - தீப்பெட்டி மாதிரி வரிசையாக கட்டிடங்கள். Looked very artificial. Also heard from the relative and the friend how the govt. screws the residents there w.r.to money. Loved the public transport though. Was extremely easy to pick up even for a first timer.

We got screwed in Sentosa - Bought a combo ticket 4 rides/events for ~50 bucks + ~26 bucks for the round trip cable car. But as soon as we entered we saw a ticket which was like 60 bucks for 10 rides/events plus the cable car ride :twisted: And since the Singapore dollar is as expensive as USD no real interest in shopping as well. And it rained non-stop for 10 hours the 2nd day we were there. Struck at Little India for more than 5 hours. Ate lunch at komalavilas and could not do anything until dinner time. Dinner was Anjappar. Then left to Penang via a bus.

NOV
10th January 2012, 05:43 AM
Penang! :redjump: :bluejump:

Nerd
10th January 2012, 11:38 PM
Why NOV? நீங்க பிறந்த இடமோ?

NOV
11th January 2012, 05:36 AM
aamaam Nerd... paradise on earth. :D
BUT, you need to be escorted by a local to discover the treasure hidden within the island!
Did you go to the waterfall temple? before batu caves became popular this was the place for thaipusam - where the whole city transforms for the three days.
I guess you must have to the usual places of snake temple, kek lok si, batu feringghi, etc...

Nerd
14th January 2012, 10:15 PM
I guess you must have to the usual places of snake temple, kek lok si, batu feringghi, etc...
Yes and a couple other Buddha temples - reclining Buddha etc. And a Hindu temple in Thanneermalai. V nice indeed. Did not go (or know) about the waterfall temple. May be in future trips. Would love to go there again + Thailand the next time.

NOV
15th January 2012, 07:20 AM
And a Hindu temple in Thanneermalai. V nice indeed. Did not go (or know) about the waterfall temple. :rotfl: adhuthaan idhu, idhuthaan adhu :lol2:

Nerd
21st January 2012, 01:01 AM
:oops: :oops2:

NOV
27th January 2012, 09:23 AM
Batu Caves - Then and Now

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/421109_3205601349077_1537445430_3079302_2119859626 _n.jpg

http://kiwikurt.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dscf4265.jpg

NOV
26th May 2012, 08:29 AM
NOV, picturesaa.. viraivil :-)
more than 4 months.... innum varala.... endhiran maadhiri romba time edukkuthO?

Nerd
26th May 2012, 09:27 PM
more than 4 months.... innum varala.... endhiran maadhiri romba time edukkuthO?
Faces illaama pictures illaiyE.. :?

Nerd
26th May 2012, 09:36 PM
View from where we stayed (Brickfields)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2z7izc8.jpg

Nerd
26th May 2012, 09:39 PM
The famous inclined life in Kek Lok Si

http://i49.tinypic.com/pc9d5.jpg

Nerd
26th May 2012, 09:44 PM
This is what awaits you if you do not mind the steep climb to the Batu Caves

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ekkuo2.jpg

Nerd
26th May 2012, 09:47 PM
Pathetic attempt at covering the twin towers and the KLCC tower at night. Taken from the shoulder of a highway.

http://i47.tinypic.com/20z7mef.jpg

NOV
27th May 2012, 07:01 AM
Nice pics... how about some with faces? :D
A hubber is planning to visit and your insight/inputs will help.

Nerd
28th May 2012, 08:46 PM
Nice pics... how about some with faces? :D
Not here, may be in FB.

A hubber is planning to visit and your insight/inputs will help.
Good luck. Please go with lots of appetite :-) And do NOT spend too much time in Singapore, definitely not worth it.

NOV
28th May 2012, 08:50 PM
Not here, may be in FB.very strange. here is more private than facebook :p
I mean FB population is only next to china and india :fishgrin:

Good luck. Please go with lots of appetite :-) And do NOT spend too much time in Singapore, definitely not worth it.He isn't going to singapore.. to much (visa) hassles it seems
and he is a pure vegetarian... any suggestions for him and his wife? :D

Nerd
28th May 2012, 09:09 PM
Visa hassles-aa? Namma Joe kitta oru vaarththai sollirunthaa eduththu kuduththiruppaarE :P

Veg. no problem. My father and brother are vegetarian too and they had no issues. But enna experiment panna mudiyaadhu. NOV, you will obviously be a better guide, but sila pala idangaLLa veg options sumaar. I mean parotta-vukku sambaar ellaam kuduthaanga. Indian chains niRaiya irukku. And in many SI restaurants they play awesome music. 60s/80s TFM!!! Anyway things not to miss, the usual suspects:

1. KLCC, petronas, preferably at night
2. Putrajeya
3. Batu Caves (climb to the top)
4. Genting (We did not go)
5. Langkawi (Please spend at least a night there). If interested in water sports, you definitely need a local to haggle. They quoted 120RM for para-sailing and we had a local in our group and she was able to bring it down to 50 with a banana boat ride.
6. Not sure if they will have time to travel to Penang, but definitely worth it.

Who is that mystery hubber? :D

raajarasigan
28th May 2012, 09:53 PM
KL Non veg food :slurp: nAn anga ponappuram than pure Non-Veg aanen (actually, I did quit for a while then).. :)

Batu Caves :yes:.. Genting - Is this the same as First World Hotels? If so, it was V good to enjoy the environment.. chinna pasanga innum nallA enjoy paNNalAm...

NOV
29th May 2012, 06:13 AM
Visa hassles-aa? Namma Joe kitta oru vaarththai sollirunthaa eduththu kuduththiruppaarE He is applying in Singapore - apparently they are asking too many things. :roll: I told him to come to Malaysia and then maybe try from here.

Veg. no problem. My father and brother are vegetarian too and they had no issues. But enna experiment panna mudiyaadhu. I think so too... but am planning to take them to chinese vegetarian restaurants to try out mock meat :devil:

Who is that mystery hubber? :DavarE ingu vandhu sollvaaar ;)

Genting - Is this the same as First World Hotels? ...First world hotel is in Genting Highlands. This place's speciality is the casino and the theme park.
unga travel agent contacts kodukka mudiyumaa?

NOV
29th May 2012, 06:22 AM
The places I have proposed for his short trip are:

Cameron Highlands - vegetable/fruit farms, tea estates, british style holiday get-away (three towns here - Ringlet, Tanah Rata, Brinchang)
Pangkor Island - quaint chinese fishing village with awesome ferry ride
Putrajaya - where every other tamil film is shot these days
Downtown KL - Little India, Chinatown, Central Market origins of KL, Museum, Lake Gardens
Uptown KL - Twin Towers, Bt Bintang, Telecoms Towers, Smart tunnel
Temples - Batu Caves, High St Maha Mariamman, Court Hill Pillaiyar, Tirupathi of SEA
Shopping - Mid Valley Mega Mall, KL Sentral, Sunway Pyramid, Mydin Mall, Klang LI

k_vanan
29th May 2012, 07:14 AM
The places I have proposed for his short trip are:

Cameron Highlands - vegetable/fruit farms, tea estates, british style holiday get-away (three towns here - Ringlet, Tanah Rata, Brinchang)

Must go :thumbsup:

Nerd
29th May 2012, 06:54 PM
Singapore visa issues, eh? My visa took 15 minutes :lol2:

*If you have someone in the singapore, you can apply online and it takes about 15 minutes to get the e-visa and I got it sitting in the United States.
*If not, for < 2K travel agents can get the visa for you.

Not sure if something has changed :oops:

joe
29th May 2012, 07:52 PM
Visa hassles-aa? Namma Joe kitta oru vaarththai sollirunthaa eduththu kuduththiruppaarE :P
:exactly:

Roshan
29th May 2012, 09:33 PM
Not here, may be in FB.

Good luck. Please go with lots of appetite :-) And do NOT spend too much time in Singapore, definitely not worth it .

Very very true ! I dont know how people live there in Singapore. Such a boring place.

Roshan
29th May 2012, 09:38 PM
KL Non veg food :slurp:

Absolutely ! (naan idha pala muRai hubla sollittaen). KL is for food.

raajarasigan
29th May 2012, 09:54 PM
unga travel agent contacts kodukka mudiyumaa?http://www.akshayaindia.com/

http://www.akshayaindia.com/MalaysiaSingaporeTours.htm FYI.. they changed the itinery a bit now... (at least, in KL) :)

madhu
30th May 2012, 07:54 PM
யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர்
அன்பே எங்கள் உலக தத்துவம்
நண்பர் உண்டு பகைவர் இல்லை
நன்மை உண்டு தீமை இல்லை

NOV
30th May 2012, 08:00 PM
யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர்
அன்பே எங்கள் உலக தத்துவம்
நண்பர் உண்டு பகைவர் இல்லை
நன்மை உண்டு தீமை இல்லை
Ini juga cantik malaysia (this is beautiful malaysia)
Around the world friendship welcomes you

:bow:

annaa, welcome to Malaysia :D

madhu
30th May 2012, 08:02 PM
வந்துட்டேன்....

அக்கரைச் சீமை அழகினிலே மனம் ஆடக் கண்டேனே
புதுமையிலே... மயங்குகிறேன்..

NOV
30th May 2012, 08:07 PM
idhu PP illa annaa... :lol:

Roshan
30th May 2012, 10:58 PM
வந்துட்டேன்....

அக்கரைச் சீமை அழகினிலே மனம் ஆடக் கண்டேனே
புதுமையிலே... மயங்குகிறேன்..

Anna, have a nice time in Malaysia :) Unga previuos birth place'ku eppO varrathaa uththaesam ?

madhu
31st May 2012, 05:39 AM
Hi Roshan.. adutha destination adhuthan .. but yazh suthi parka neengaLum irukkaNum illa...! adhukku yetha mathiri vandhudaren !!

Roshan
31st May 2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Roshan.. adutha destination adhuthan .. but yazh suthi parka neengaLum irukkaNum illa...! adhukku yetha mathiri vandhudaren !!

Looking forward :D

madhu
2nd June 2012, 08:17 AM
ada... nijamathan Roshan.. monsoon mudinjadhum azhagana SL-ak paarvayida AUKP sangathin saarbil vandhu vida mattena ?

madhu
18th June 2012, 06:51 PM
விரைவினில் எதிர்பாருங்கள்....

"மதுவின் மலேஷிய அனுபவங்கள்" அல்லது "கோலாலம்பூரில் குட்டி பாப்பா"

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1465&d=1340025655

madhu
18th June 2012, 06:53 PM
Kind attention : Vidhyarajan & group

kuttipaappa enra wordai pirithu kutti.... and paappa appadinnu artham senjukittu kannaa pinnaannu kelvi ketka koodadhu !! :swinghead:

NOV
20th June 2012, 08:01 PM
மதுவின் மலேஷிய அனுபவங்கள்

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/598891_436450469720755_2034734832_n.jpg

madhu
21st June 2012, 09:26 AM
இதோ வந்துட்டேன்.. கொஞ்சம் லேட்டாயிடிச்சி.. ஹி ஹி..

இந்த பயணக் கட்டுரை மலேசியா, அதிலும் முக்கியமாக கோலாலம்பூர் செல்பவர்களுக்கு எந்த அளவுக்கு உதவியாக இருக்கும் என்று தெரியவில்லை. ஆனாலும் இதில் கொடுக்கப்பட்டுள்ள விவரங்களில் ஒரு சில மட்டுமாவது யாருக்காவது உதவினால் இதை எழுதிய பலன் கிடைத்து விட்டது என்று மகிழ்ச்சி அடைவேன்.

இனி கோலாலம்பூருக்கு / மலேஷியாவுக்கு பெட்டியைக் கட்ட ஆரம்பிக்கலாம்.

"எதையும் தள்ளிப் போடாதீங்க. எதிர்காலத்தில் என்ன நடக்கும் என்று யாருக்கும் தெரியாது. செய்ய வேண்டும் என்று நினைத்தால் உடனே செய்து விடுங்கள்"

இது நம்ம NOV anna சொன்னது.

கொஞ்சம் குழப்பத்துடன் நான் இருந்த சமயம். ஜூலை மாதம் எங்கேயாவது வெளியூர் செல்லலாம் என்று நினைத்திருந்தபோது அண்ணனுடன் மூஞ்சி புத்தகத்தில் உரையாடிக் கொண்டு இருந்தேன். அப்போது மலேஷியா பற்றி பேச்சு வந்தப்போ அங்கே வந்து ஊர் சுற்றிப் பார்க்க முடியுமா என்று கேட்டேன். ஏற்கனவே அண்ணனின் அம்மாவும், சகோதரிகளும் போன வருடமே அழைப்பு விடுத்திருந்த போதும் பல காரணங்களால் ( எனக்கு நம்ம பவர் @Prabha மாதிரி பிளேனில் போக பயப்படுகிற மாதிரி எந்த பிரச்சினையும் இல்லை ) அந்த பயணம் தள்ளிப் போடப்பட்டது.

இப்போ அண்ணன் காட்டிய வழியம்மா என்று பாடியபடி மலேசியா பற்றிய மேலதிக விவரங்களை சேகரிக்க ஆரம்பித்தேன்.

நான் சென்னையில் விமானம் ஏறுவதில் இருந்து மீண்டும் வந்து இறங்கும் வரை என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும் என்ற பயண itinerary-யின் பிரதி எனக்கு உடனே மின்னஞ்சலில் வந்து சேர்ந்தது. என் சோம்பலுக்கும், அண்ணனின் வேகத்துக்கும் ஷோபா, சிவகுமார் நடிச்ச படத்தை வச்சா கூட எட்டாது. அவர் பழமையும், செழுமையும் கலந்த முழுமையானவர் என்று புரிந்தது. அந்த விவரங்கள எல்லாம் அப்புறம் பார்க்கலாம்.

சில விஷயங்களில் NOV anna சொன்னதற்கும் உண்மைக்கும் நிறைய தூரம் இருக்குது.

1. கோலாலம்பூரில் இரட்டைக் கோபுரம்தான் உயரமானது.
2. காலை மாலை வேளையில் கோலாலம்பூரில் பயணம் செல்லும்போது கையில் ரொட்டியுடன் போக வேண்டும்
3. சைவ சாப்பாடு சாப்பிடுபவர்களுக்கு ரொம்ப கஷ்டம்.

இது எல்லாம் எந்த அளவுக்கு உண்மை என்பதை பின்னால் சொல்கிறேன்.

முதலில் மலேசியாவில் பேசப்படும் மொழிகளில் பிரதானமானது மலாய் மொழி. ( ஹி ஹி.. எனக்கு கஷ்டமே இல்லீங்க.. நான் எங்கும் எதிலும் தமிழ் மட்டுமே பேசினேன். கடைகளில் கூட..)
அதிலே சில சின்னச் சின்ன வாக்கியங்களைப் படிச்சு வச்சுக்குங்க.

வருக வருக- Selamat Datang - செலாமாட் டாத்தாங்

காலை வணக்கம்- Selamat Pagi - செலாமாட் பாகி

மதிய வணக்கம்- Selamat Tengah hari - செலாமாட் தெங்காஹாரி

மாலை வணக்கம்- Selamat Petang - செலாமாட் பெத்தாங்

இரவு வணக்கம்- Selamat Malam - செலாமாட் மாலாம்

மீண்டும் சந்திப்போம்- Jumpa Lagi - ஜும்பா லாகி

நன்றி- Terima Kasih - தெரிமா காசே

நன்றிக்கு பதில்- Sama-sama - சமா சமா

மன்னிக்கவும்- Minta Maaf - மிந்தா மா-ஆஃப்

நலமா? - Apa Khabar? - அப்பா காபார்

நலம்- Khabar Baik -காபார் பாயிக்

ஜும்பலக்கா ஜும்பலக்கா ஜும்பக ஜும்பாலே.. என்ற பாடல் மலாய் மொழியா என்பதை நானறியேன் பராபரமே.

ஒரு காலத்தில் விசா ஆன் அரைவல் என்று மலேஷியாவிற்கு சென்று இறங்கிய பின் கூட விசா வாங்கிக் கொள்ளும் வசதி இருந்ததாம். காமன்வெல்த் நாடுகள் என்றபோதும் இப்போது அந்த வசதி இல்லை. ஆயினும் இன்னும் ஆறு மாதங்களுக்கான வேலிடிட்டியுடன் இருக்கும் பாஸ்போர்ட்டும், இரண்டு (45mm*35mm) அளவுள்ள சமீபத்தில் எடுக்கப்பட்ட பாஸ்போர்ட் சைஸ் கலர் புகைப்படங்களும் மட்டும் இருந்தால் மலேஷியன் விசாவுக்கு விண்ணப்பிக்கலாம்.

அனேகமாக மலேசியா செல்லும் அனைவருமே சிங்கப்பூர் செல்லவும் விரும்புவார்கள். ஆனால் சிங்கப்பூர் விசா தேவை எனில் சில எக்ஸ்டிரா டாகுமெண்ட்டுகள் தேவை. அதாவது சிங்கப்பூரில் உங்கள் நண்பர் / உறவினர்களுடன் தங்குவதாக இருந்தால் அவர்களிடம் இருந்து ஒரு அழைப்புக் கடிதம் ( அதில் அவர்களுடைய ஐடெண்டிடி குறிப்பிடப் பட்டு இருக்க வேண்டும்) தேவை.

அல்லது நீங்கள் டிராவல்ஸ் மூலம் செல்வதானால அவர்களே அங்கே தங்கும் இடம் பற்றிய குறிப்புகளைத் தந்து விடுவார்கள். அல்லது நீங்களே தங்கும் இடத்திற்கு ஏற்பாடு செய்திருந்தால் அது பற்றிய விவரங்களையும் விசா விண்ணப்பத்துடன் இணைக்க வேண்டும்.

மேலும் சிங்கப்பூர் விசா விண்ணப்பத்துடன் நீங்கள் சிங்கப்பூருக்கு சென்று வருவதற்கான விமான டிக்கட்டின் பிரதியை இணைக்க வேண்டும். ஒரு வேளை மலேசியா சென்று அங்கிருந்து பஸ் அல்லது டிரெயின் மூலம் சிங்கப்பூர் செல்வதாக இருந்தாலும் அதற்கான அத்தாட்சியைக் காட்ட வேண்டியிருக்கும்.

அப்பாடா... ஆனால் மலேசிய விசாவுக்கு இவை எதுவும் தேவையில்லை. இன்னிக்கு காலையில் விண்ணப்பத்தைக் கொடுத்தால் நாளை மாலை கையிலே விசா...!! கஷ்டப்படாமல் உங்கள் டிராவல் ஏஜெண்டிடம் சொல்லி வேலையை முடிச்சுக்கிட்டால் அலைச்சல் மிச்சம்.

அடுத்ததாக டிராவல் இன்ஷ்யூரன்ஸ் ஒண்ணு வாங்கிடுங்க. எதற்கும் அது நல்லது. ரிஸ்க் எடுப்பது எனக்கு ரஸ்க் சாப்பிடுற மாதிரின்னு நெனச்சா அப்புறம் அஸ்க் புஸ்க்னு ஆயிடும். இதுவும் நீங்கள் பயணம் செய்யும் நாட்களைப் பொறுத்தும், நாடுகளைப் பொறுத்தும் மாறும்.

( நான் எழுதுவது எல்லாமே புதுசா வெளி நாடு போகும் என்னைப் போன்றவர்களுக்குத்தான். அடிக்கடி விமானத்தில் பறக்கும் குருவிகளுக்கு இதெல்லாம் தெரிஞ்ச விஷயம்தான் ).

இப்போ அடுத்ததாக தேவை மலேஷியாவில் செலவழிக்கப் பணம். அது அந்த ஊரில் செல்லும் கரன்சியாக இருக்கணும்.

மலேஷியாவின் பணத்துக்கு ரிங்கிட்டு என்று பெயர். சில்லறைக்கு சென் என்று சொல்றாங்க. தமிழில் வெள்ளி என்றும் காசு என்றும் சொல்றாங்க. ஏறக்குறைய ஒரு ரிங்கிட்டுக்கு இந்திய ரூபாயில் பதினெட்டு மற்றும் இருபது நயா பைசா ஆகிறது. இது அப்பப்போ மாறும். தேவைப் படும் அளவுக்கு மாற்றி எடுத்துக் கொண்டு போகலாம்.

கோலாலம்பூரில் பல இடங்களிலும் Money converters இருப்பதால் எப்போதும் நம்ம பணத்தை ரிங்கிட்டாக்கி கொள்ளலாம். ஆனாலும் யாரிடம் அதிக எக்ஸ்சேஞ்ச் ரேட் கிடைக்கும் என்று பார்த்து பிறகு மாற்றிக் கொள்வது நல்லது.

சர்வதேச கிரெடிட் கார்டு வைத்திருப்பவர்கள் அதை பெரிய கடைகளிலும், மால்களிலும் உபயோகித்தல் நல்லது. அடையாளம் இல்லாத சிறிய கடைகளில் உபயோகிக்கப்பட்ட கார்டுகள் பிரதி எடுக்கப்பட்டு தவறான முறையில் பயன்படுத்தப்ப்ட்ட புகார்கள் இன்னும் இங்கே வங்கிகளில் உள்ளன. ( சில வ்ங்கிகளின் கிரெடிட் கார்டு டிபார்ட்மெண்டில் இருந்து கிடைந்த நம்பகமான விவரம் ). எனவே ... கவனம் !!

அடுத்ததாக இங்கிருந்து என்ன கொண்டு போகலாம் ? எப்படி போகணும்.. இதெல்லாம் அடுத்த பாகத்தில் தொடரும்.

ஹா ஹா.. ரொம்ப போரடிக்குதா ? அடிச்சா திருப்பி அடிங்க..

வெட்டியா இருக்குற நேரத்துல அடிச்சுகிட்டு இருந்த பொழுது போகுமில்ல... :kikiki:

( இன்னும் பறக்கவே இல்லீங்க )

NOV
21st June 2012, 05:16 PM
இந்த பயணக் கட்டுரை மலேசியா, அதிலும் முக்கியமாக கோலாலம்பூர் செல்பவர்களுக்கு எந்த அளவுக்கு உதவியாக இருக்கும் என்று தெரியவில்லை. :clap:
oru suggestion annaa... can you also write in english so that more people will benefit from your experiences?

அண்ணனுடன் மூஞ்சி புத்தகத்தில் உரையாடிக் கொண்டு இருந்தேன்.
:rotfl2:

சில விஷயங்களில் NOV anna சொன்னதற்கும் உண்மைக்கும் நிறைய தூரம் இருக்குது.
:boo:
KL'la saiva unavu problem illai annaa... outside KL konjam varalaamnu thaanE sonnEn?

( இன்னும் பறக்கவே இல்லீங்க )ivlO periya katturai padiththa piragu, kadaisiyil ippadi solliteenga :sigh2:

koodiya seekkiram thodarungala annaa

Nerd
21st June 2012, 10:12 PM
Nice to read :clap:

மேலும் சிங்கப்பூர் விசா விண்ணப்பத்துடன் நீங்கள் சிங்கப்பூருக்கு சென்று வருவதற்கான விமான டிக்கட்டின் பிரதியை இணைக்க வேண்டும். ஒரு வேளை மலேசியா சென்று அங்கிருந்து பஸ் அல்லது
Not correct brother. I applied for the visa one month before our trip and we took the bus ticket to Penang (from Singapore) only a few days before the trip. My case was a little different - my wife's uncle is a singapore PR. But even with travel agents, Singapore tickets are not necessary (according to the travel agents I know). I did not have to send anything to the Singapore embassy. Applied Day 1, got the visa Day 2, no questions asked.

But when you land in Singapore they will ask for a return ticket, which everyone hopefully will have.

madhu
22nd June 2012, 04:04 AM
Hi Nerd

Thanks for your explanation.

What I wrote here is only my experience and what my travel agent told me. ( kalagam piranthathan nyayam piraikkum.. NOV anna.. enna solreenga ? )

There may be other versions and experiences. If we get many replies, at least the next traveller can understand various situations and act accordingly.
( Have you applied visa from Chennai ? Or is it before April 2009 ? Some changes have been made in the process and we can check it out here
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/overseasmission/chennai/visa_information/overview.html

NOV
22nd June 2012, 05:59 AM
( kalagam piranthathan nyayam piraikkum.. NOV anna.. enna solreenga ? )adhu eppadi ennai paarththu ippadi oru kElvi kEtkareenga annaa? :|

madhu
22nd June 2012, 07:38 AM
adhu eppadi ennai paarththu ippadi oru kElvi kEtkareenga annaa? :|

neenga oru nadu nilai thavaratha, nyayam maratha, nermai pirazhatha, neethi vazhuvatha manushan enbathalthan kaetten ! ennavo soppana sundariyai pathi kaetta madhiri aluthukureengale ?

madhu
21st July 2012, 09:31 AM
OK.. OK.. Sorry for the long delay...

anyway its time and destiny which makes everything happen or to fade away.
Hope now the time has come to continue my travellogue about the Malaysian trip.

Among all the carriers from India to Malaysia, Malaysia Airlines can be tagged as the best.
Though the fare is on the higher side, I heard that in other areas like punctuality and hospitality it is better than other airlines.

In Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), there are two terminal buildings. If your plane lands and taxies to any terminal gate that starts with the letter C then you are in the Satelite Building.
You have to catch an aerotrain which takes about 3 minutes to reach the Main Building. Else if your gate number starts with G or H then you are directly connected to the Visitors Hall.

(NOV anna informed me that most of the flights from Chennai land at the Satellite building and I have to catch the aero train. Hence, I was unaware that they pushed me out to the Main Building!
I was searching for the aerotrain and moved in the walkalator and reached the entrance in 5 minutes. Moreover I heard that its normal for the immigaration check to consume at least half an hour with a long queue in which you move like a snail.

But It took not even 7 minutes and I was out in the green channel. It took only 12 minutes to reach from the plane to the visitors hall. Malaysia is really romba faaaaaaaast.

--------------------------

As annaa was not in the vicinity, I thought some OC phones (kikiki) may be available to check his status. But I was out of the airport lounge and the phones require one malaysian ringgitt for local calls.
I had only currency notes and no change. When I was thinking of converting a note, suddenly one person with luggage trolley, who was also waiting nearby came to me and asked whether I am new to KL.

When my response was positive, he advised my wife not to wear costly jewellery. He introduced himself as a Malaysian Indian, who was returning from Nepal. He then helped me by lending his mobile to call anna.

Anna was surprised to know that we were out of immigration check and waiting. Anyway within a short time he reached and welcomed us.

I was so happy that the first experience in Malaysia is nice and created a feel that they have tendency to help freshers.

aduthathu enna ?

I dont want to elongate my experience. But will write short notes about the places and incidents which are interesting..

( will continue....)

NOV
21st July 2012, 03:30 PM
:clap: ... aanaa innum mail meal varala :roll:

madhu
21st July 2012, 04:14 PM
anna.. aduthathu melur malligai-than !!

NOV
24th August 2012, 08:35 AM
anna.. aduthathu melur malligai-than !!
oru maasamaachu... innumaa melur varala? :poke:

NOV
24th August 2012, 08:39 AM
Places to Visit: KLCC / Petronas Twin Towers

1. You can go up to the skybridge on the 41st floor and get a commanding view of KL.

GO EARLY: Here is how the system works: Tickets to the skybrige are given FREE between 8.00 am and 12.00pm. You have to queue to get the tickets. Your ticket will tell you what time your tour will be. After getting the ticket, do your tour of the rest of KLCC and come back to the Towers at the appointed time. You and your group will be shown a short film on the history behind the towers and then will be taken up the skybrige via super-sonic lifts. Note that this is an accompanied, limited-time tour. You are allowed to take photos/video throughout the tour.

Tickets are NO LONGER free and cost RM80 now! :shock:

madhu
24th August 2012, 01:42 PM
yes.. yes.. Next is about Shri Melur Restaurant.. Shri malligai uNavagam.

The problem with me is Melur is ringing me in my mind as the name of a town and therefore I thought the restaurant is maintained by someone from Melur in Tamilnadu. Thats the reason I was totally tumbled down when I found that Melur means Jasmine in Malay/

It is a very cosy place situated in Subang Jaya at Kualalumpur.

http://www.setiacorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DSC04566-e1309352886119.jpg

Though I was ready to try Nasi lemak the vegtarian version is mostly not available in most of the places. That doesnt mean there less vegetarian dishes.
The lovely roti canai is one among the tasty dishes of Sri Melur Jaya Restoran.

anyway... the lovely appam with coconut milk will always be the selection if anyone just see it.

https://is0.4sqi.net/derived_pix/1mM6PcZRyTlrLXIMNN2I2eCqvvY16Z_8hDsbIpe_j28_300x30 0.jpg

Rbee
29th January 2013, 11:46 PM
Planning to go to Malayasia and Thailand this summer with my parents. How much is it going to cost for three people in INR (reasonable itinerary, decent accommodation) . Is it advisable to book the trip with a travel agent or will I be able to handle all the logistics on my own? I don't want to spend more than couple of days in either country. Also thinking of going to Sumatra/Bali. Was going through one package. For 4N/5D these people are demanding 80K per person.

NOV
30th January 2013, 06:50 AM
annaa, do continue your thodar :D
neenga pOi naanum vara pOrEn, thodar innum mudiyavillai :D

Rbee, 80K per person is too expensive. If the three of you are sharing a room, a moderate hotel room should be Rs3K-4K per day.
If you only want to spend 2 days in Malaysia, I suggest you just visit Kuala Lumpur.
Bangkok would be a good idea too. And Bali should definitely be on your itinerary.

Do check out your airlines packages, which can include accommodation and tours too.

madhu
30th January 2013, 07:20 AM
aahaa... yaaravadhu idhai thodara solla mattangala appadinnu parthen.

Anna.. kadasila neengalum, naanumthan padikka poroma ? :rotfl:

NOV
30th January 2013, 07:25 AM
appadi ellaam illai annaa... one post = 100 silent reads
where do you think Rajni got his punch dialogue from? :p

sudha india
30th January 2013, 02:43 PM
Right punch Nov.
Naan silenta padichen Madhu

madhu
30th January 2013, 06:20 PM
Right punch Nov.
Naan silenta padichen Madhu

மணிகளின் ஓசை மௌனமாக இருந்தால் மனதுக்கு மகிழ்வுண்டோ ?

( அட... நான் கூட எதுகை மோனையோட எதையோ எழுதிட்டேனே ! பேஷ் )

Rbee
31st January 2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks NOV

sudha india
5th February 2013, 04:25 PM
மணிகளின் ஓசை மௌனமாக இருந்தால் மனதுக்கு மகிழ்வுண்டோ ?

( அட... நான் கூட எதுகை மோனையோட எதையோ எழுதிட்டேனே ! பேஷ் )

Madhu... ippothan mani osai kettuvittadhe ! Magizhchiyodu thodarungal. Pala manigal thodarndhu olikkum.

NOV
5th February 2013, 05:19 PM
Naan idhai aamodhikkiren :D

aanaa
6th February 2013, 08:31 AM
மணி ஓசை கேட்டு......

Designer
21st February 2013, 07:48 PM
Madhu : Malaysia payaNa anubhavathai seekiram thodarungaL !

madhu
21st February 2013, 07:53 PM
sure Ramky... viravileye thodarugiren.. Nanriyo nanri ..

NOV
21st March 2013, 06:36 AM
http://cdn.forum.lowyat.net/uploads/attach-94/post-322194-1363623311.jpg