http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=162170&disdate=1/26/2005

Congrats!

Ravi_odiyur
27th January 2005, 07:23 AM
Great! Congrats to the awardees!!

tmrrmt
27th January 2005, 11:19 AM
Congratulations to the Awardees !

just one sour note - IR misses out on the Padma Awards yet again!

RR
27th January 2005, 11:50 AM
Another awardee - Kavitha Krishnamurthy(Subramnium).

NagaS
27th January 2005, 11:58 AM
Congrats to All the padma awardees, I am happy to see chitra, R K Lakshman, Manna Dae, Azim Premji, M T Vasudevan Nair, Mammaen Mathew (Malayala Manorama Editor) and many other talented people in this list ...

No Bharath Rathna ? Thats little disappointing :(

IR misses out on the Padma Awards yet again!

Yep, same way I am surprised tendulkar is yet to get any padma award, whereas his teammates ganguly, dravid and now kumble all has padmashris :)

NagaS

rajeshkrv
27th January 2005, 12:01 PM
PS is missed out .. similarly MSV,IR

Ravi_odiyur
27th January 2005, 02:56 PM
Though we are happy to note the current list of awardees, yes, as Rajeshkrv put it, its little disappointing that other 'greats' were left out like PS, TMS, MSV, IR!!

hehehewalrus
28th January 2005, 04:20 AM
Very very very very happy news!! :D

Naaz
28th January 2005, 05:44 AM
I am certain that I can't be the only one that wonders (or is bewildered) by the criteria for these awards....
MSV, IR, PS, LRE, VJ, and a host of other stalwarts and legends are sidelined (TMS had the honour a couple of years ago? go figure!!) and KK and Chithra get a Padmashree. Not that I grudge these artistes their moment in the national limelight, and I wish them greater success....but what gives? I mean, is there any sort of rationale behind the conferring of these titles? How can one even think of these things as being based on merit, when far more prolific (and meritorious) artistes have been given the shaft - and - yet again?

I guess my list will begin to inch up only after Sujatha, Chinmayi, Vasundhara Das, Harris Jeyaraj...& Co. have been given the nod :D

Don't get me wrong - but you must also see the ignominy when IR, a living institution (and the one and only reason for Chithra's rise in southern film music) is glossed over, and his protege makes it to the hallowed hall of national achievement? How unconscionable is that??

eden
28th January 2005, 10:14 PM
'and the one and only reason for Chithra's rise in southern film music'
Naaz, that may not be an accurate statement. This is not to take away IR's contribution in Chitra's growth (my IR bias is well-known in DF, BTW) but Chitra's career started in Malayalam field (under KJY's patronage and not IR) and she would've become popular even otherwise, and with her talents, she would've got the Padmashree honor...IMHO

AV
28th January 2005, 11:20 PM
Yes, Eden is right. Chithra's success as a singer is not at all restricted to only one MD. She has done quality work with almost every music composer in Southern India, and even more so in Malayalam films, with Ravindran for instance. Having said that, Naaz has a point. It is really odd to see Chithra and Kavita being awarded *before* PS, MSV, IR etc. Well, not surprising in a country where Sardar Patel gets the Bharat Ratna along with Rajiv Gandhi?

rajraj
29th January 2005, 12:02 AM
Nazz,eden,AV: Remember the Nobel Laureate Chandrasekar. His student(s) were awarded the Nobel prize long before he was!

Naaz
29th January 2005, 12:20 AM
Eden -

My statement is situated in fact.
Yes, Chithra did debut in Malayalam, and KJY may have been the first to spot her potential (as being more than that of a "track" singer) and recommended her name to kerala's music composers.
But it was IR who mined and honed her skills as a singer in TFM, TelFM, KanFM, and later even MalFM. Otherwise, Chithra would have been a Malayalam film playback singer - singing only malayalam songs (and there's nothing wrong with that!)
Sure, she has sung for other MDs (and most of them jumped on the bandwagon only after IR took her under his wings)- but the largest number of songs in her career have been for IR.
Would that be an inaccurate statement, too?
I will go a step further and say that of all his "new" introductions to film music, IR would consider Chithra to be his most remarkable protege - way beyond the Jencys, Shailajas, and Sunandas. (List Chithra's songs for Raveendran and her songs for IR - the numbers for the latter would be staggering within a specific time frame)

The point is: IR took Chithra's voice beyond the boundaries of ONE linguistic region. Her body of work would be nowhere near it's current status without IRs exclusive patronage for a decade plus.
Now, consider this: Is her contribution to film music greater than the contribution of IR? I think not.
Without IR, Chithra would still be a playback singer, no doubt.
But it is only because of IR that she is a singer of repute and reckoning: The difference between "southern" and just "malayalam."
Of course, you may choose to disagree.

vijayr
29th January 2005, 02:11 AM
National awards(of any kind) have been meaningless and a farce for a long time now. Remember when Bhavatharini got it for "singing"? :-) Lets not fret and fume that our idols missed out again. The award is not worthy of them. Thats how I think about it. They are better off not getting one of them, especially now.

tmrrmt
29th January 2005, 10:58 AM
Shah Rukh Khan has a Padma Shree - so does one Mr.Kamal Hassan - can they become equal ? SRK can't act for nuts - his portrayal of King Asoka in 'Asoka' was like watching Whoopi Goldberg miscast in a hypothetical version of "My Fair Lady"!!

Padma awards have long lost their value, sanctity and meaning

SN23
31st January 2005, 11:02 AM
Heard that the state govts are supposed to recommend the names for Padma*.* awards. Kerala state govt has done for chitra, this year. They might have been convinced based on the recommedation points given by a committee that chitra deserves the award. Nothing wrong in it.

IR,MSV,PS,VJ etc being in TN, they should have been recommended by our own state govt. But they are busy to do something else these days. Forgive me for stating this. Similary, AP or Kerala govt could have done something. Karnataka govt has already decided that they will recommed only sons/daughters of their soil.

This being the case, why to accuse the artists like Chitra. Personally she may also have feeling like our's.

Only state govts have to be blamed for all these casuses.

tmrrmt
31st January 2005, 12:04 PM
Given the fact that Jaya Madam has no love lost for someone like IR, it is hardly surprising that IR's name was not recommended!

Ravi_odiyur
31st January 2005, 02:49 PM
I thought Chithra, Kunnakudi got awards thru' Tamilnadu because I remember reading in one of papers where they had mentioned the state names in brackets against the awardees and I remember reading "Krishnan Nair Santhakumari Chithra (Tamilnadu)". Maybe others can clarify.

Naaz, though I accept your views, I beg to differ at a point that just because the Guru did not receive an award, can we declare that the Sishya is not worth-while for the award? Moreover, I feel people like IR have surpassed the stage where awards make any difference to their 'magnanimity'. But nevertheless, I would still love to see them being felicitated :-)

hehehewalrus
31st January 2005, 08:49 PM
hi tmrrmt,
what is the problem between "Mummy" and IR?

eden
31st January 2005, 09:09 PM
Naaz,
I agree to the facts that you've presented (w.r.t. IR's contribution in KSC's career)...However, as you yourself mentioned, she is above Jency's & Shailaja's:-) Moreover, I don't think there's any specific requirement that someone should become popular thru out `south' to get a Padmashree...I see many names in the list of awardees who are probably popular only in their home state (take even Kunnakkudi's case)...that way, even without IR's promotion, KSC would've `at least' won a Padmashree:-) if not becoming popular thru out the country:-))

Naaz
31st January 2005, 09:42 PM
Ravi odiyur -

Thank you for your comments.
The thrust of my argument, in both posts, is the issue of merit / body of work. What are the criteria?
The guru / sishya thing also flummoxes. For it is only after her introduction and stronghold in TFM did Chithra find opportunities in other linguistic valleys, this and that side of Gulbarga. However, let's file that under my "accute IR" emotionality. It stays out of the picture, as it should.
If you've followed my bewilderment (which I am sure you have,) within the film context of juniors versus seniors, the unhinged moment is this: Chithra is not undeserving. I've not said that.
My lament is that the Padma awards have become such a grab-bag of oddities and surprises, their raison d' etre seems to fall between the cracks of merit and popularity all too quickly.
From Padmashri to Padmashriek in no time! :)

Eden -

Yes, that could be, too.

vijayr
31st January 2005, 10:24 PM
Unlike the west (I am not sure how really good it is there even) I dont think there is any proper ways of recommending names and nominating great artistes for lifetime achievment awards here. Cho was lamenting about it in a TV programme felicitating MSV. I dont think anyone cares about it enough. Its a combination of current popular choices and politically driven biases. Artiste recognition is a joke here.

tmrrmt
1st February 2005, 09:33 AM
hehehewalrus - 'Mummy' and IR have a long lasting 'love story' which had its origin in the early 90s, when IR was signed for a movie being made by the TN govt and IR was upset and p**sed off by the way 'Mummy''s security guards treated him at the gates of Prasad Studios - IR refused to work in that movie and subsequently 'Mummy' did her best to create problems for IR

get the picture now, buddy ?

NagaS
1st February 2005, 11:32 AM
when IR was signed for a movie being made by the TN govt and IR was upset and p**sed off by the way 'Mummy''s security guards treated him at the gates of Prasad Studios - IR refused to work in that movie

Yep, MSV did that movie, I think the title was like "Neenga nallaa irukkaNum" or something ...

NagaS

Kupps
1st February 2005, 11:42 AM
It has become a cermonial lamenting session for many fans of IR, MSV and TMS that these veterans were/are not recognised by Government, especially during the Padma* awards time. I too was one among these lamentors(?) but now have reconciled to the fact that 'yeah they are deserving for a Padma Bushan and above but they are not getting. Not all deserving persons were/are receipients and not all receipients were/are deserving. So lamenting/bashing serves no purpose'.

However KSC and Kunnakudi are the deserving candidates who have also got the awards. Congrats to both of them.

Ravi_odiyur
1st February 2005, 12:56 PM
Kupps, you said it all - in a nutshell. Yes, let's now set aside our laments for a while and appreciate and congratulate the deserving awardees.

Naaz, I got your point in your post. Sorry if my earlier post had mis-interpretted your views.

nkv
1st February 2005, 04:44 PM
Guys,
Though i share acute grief on Maestro Ilayaraja being not honoured, let me put in my thoughts on CHithra and her co-relation with IR.

I do agree that it was IR songs that made revolutionary changes in her singing career. The Telugu people became so fond of her only after the sensational 'Geethanjali'. The number of songs she sung for IR will be more in number than anyone else. But...

She is an exceptionally talented artist - Yes i mean 'EXCEPTIONAL' or even 'PHENOMENOL'. I have never heard a sharp, sweet female voice in south other than her (Not forgetting PS, SJ etc). Her voice can be compared to that of Lata Mangeshkar's in her good days. She rightly deserves the title 'The Nightingale of India'. And she sings PERFECT - throw any challenge to her, she will deliver it cool. If IR wouldnt have taken her in his patronage, im sure somebody would have done it later, though not up to what IR has done. She has fetched National Awards many times from Malayalam alone.. So, i sincerely feel she would have achieved what she has, without IR patronage, though not upto what IR has done to her.

Finally, i agree to the argument 100% that it was indeed IR who made a big difference in her career.

AV
1st February 2005, 08:31 PM
Apart from Malayalam, Chithra has been fairly successful in Oriya and even Bengali films. The lady has won five national awards, which is more than what any other female singer has won so far! And she is also the only singer to have won state awards from all four southern states, right?
I agree with nkv's statement that Chithra can sing any challenging song to perfection.

As for Kavita Krishnamurthy, she has got her long due recognition. She is one of India's best trained playback singers and it is wonderful to see her being felicitated. Today there is just nobody in HFM who can do justice to classical numbers the way Kavita can. Who else could have done justice to the classical song in Devdas, along with Birju Maharaj? The way Kavita sings "kar pakarat choodiyaan sab karkeen.....o maaee", it is just ethereal.

hehehewalrus
1st February 2005, 09:58 PM
tmrrmt,
thank you for the detail :D I stand enlightened

app_engine
1st February 2005, 10:29 PM
Kupps,
"Not all deserving persons were/are receipients and not all receipients were/are deserving"

The first part of your statement is 100% correct but the second part has element of subjectivity / bias:-)

I feel personally that one cannot receive some recognition like Padmashree without having necessary talent...Hence my approach is "Be happy when someone gets recognized":-) I support the `half-glass-filled' approach:-))

Ravi_odiyur
2nd February 2005, 07:25 AM
A link to Chithra's interview on her receiving the Padmashree.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/singer/2203/3/general/1/

This is what she had to say about who recommended her name for the award :

"Tamil Nadu government and Kerala government had forwarded my name as the chosen one. My name was recommended two years back, but lady luck has smiled at me this time. I’m thankful to them."

Kupps
2nd February 2005, 11:12 AM
Kupps,
"Not all deserving persons were/are receipients and not all receipients were/are deserving"

The first part of your statement is 100% correct but the second part has element of subjectivity / bias:-)

I feel personally that one cannot receive some recognition like Padmashree without having necessary talent...Hence my approach is "Be happy when someone gets recognized" I support the `half-glass-filled' approach:-))

:)

app_engine,
if we see in that angle even the first part has some bias in it. One can argue that those who have not got cannot be termed as deserving for one reason or other.

i presume the bias element in the second part of that statement exist in the majority of people spread over the entire geography, hence it became "fact" in my statement as per "democracy's" majority opinion. :)

but yes i accept and concur with your finding that the second part indeed had shown my bias in that statement. :)

NagaS
8th April 2005, 07:16 PM
From K S Chitra's interview in this week's vikatan :

"Romba santhoshamaa irukkaen. Intha padmashri viruthu enakkaanathu illai, en guru Raja sir-kku saeravaeNdiyathu. Oru Kuttip poNNaa avaroda recording studio-la ninnu naan muhtal muthalil "Poojaikkeththa poovithu" paadinathu ippavum appadiyae ninaivil irukku. Appothilirunthu ippovaraikkum oru thakappan sthaanaththilirunthu ennai vazhinadaththuvathu avarthaan"

app_engine
8th April 2005, 07:54 PM
That's so nice of Chitra...I wish other artistes have similar sense of appreciation for their seniors...

Ravi_odiyur
8th April 2005, 10:54 PM
Well, these words of Chithra's are so nice but less surprising because Chithra has always exhibited her gratitude to IR. Even during the ARR wave, Chithra never failed to acknowledge IR's role in her success. Any interview of hers has a mention of IR.

She mentioned in another interview in Vikatan that during the initial months after giving birth to a child - 16 years after marriage, she had taken her daughter out only on two occasions. One was to Guruvayoor and the next instance was to IR's house to seek his blessings. She said IR placed the baby on the piano and played a tune. Chithra went on to say "Avalukku (the baby) kushi thaangala, enakku kannula thanni vandhiduchu".

I could related to the (happy) emotions of Chithra then!

Ravi_odiyur
8th April 2005, 11:12 PM
NagaS, after reading your post, I read the article in Vikatan. Truly very moving...

PeeKay
9th April 2005, 10:55 AM
I got a chance to meet Chithra in kuwait few months back. I met her in the Airport just before leaving for immigration. She has very good respect on Raja. As soon as I asked about Raja, she started telling about him. When I said I will record and keep in the web, she said no problem. You can download that video here, http://www.palanikumar.com/songs/chithra.mpg

Ravi_odiyur
11th April 2005, 04:00 PM
Wow! Thank you so much PalaniKumar for that link. The mpg clearly shows how down to earth the popular singer is!

Ravi_odiyur
11th April 2005, 07:18 PM
Btw, what is the song that is mentioned in Chithra's article :

"Indha ponmaanai paarthu kondae sendru naan saera vendum

Meendum jenmangal maarumbodhu naan un magalaaga vendum"

NagaS
11th April 2005, 07:22 PM
poovae poochchoodavaa from poovae poochchudavaa

NagaS

Ravi_odiyur
11th April 2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks NagaS! How did I forget?? That song happens to be one of my favourites. I was thinking about a song which *starts* with those lines.

rskarthik_2k3
10th May 2005, 12:17 AM
At last, chitra has sung a song for yuvan's Manmadha film.

This is the telugu version of Simbu's Manmadham film.

Also chitra singing for Ilayaraaja in telugu and malayalam films.

Donno why she is not singing tamil songs for these MDs.

Ravi_odiyur
11th May 2005, 08:06 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info Karthik. I used to wonder for a long time why Karthik Raja and Yuvan never made use of Chithra's voice when she had such a high regard for IR (Even I even created a thread on this sometime back).

Hope to hear more of Chithra's voice under Karthik Raja and Yuvan's compositions.

Chithra's duet with SPB in Mumbai Express (Telugu version) is a good number.

app_engine
17th May 2005, 12:33 AM
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/009200505162064.htm

Yet another recognition for KSC:-)

MADDY
17th May 2005, 01:33 PM
Hey guys...u forgot ARR for Padma Bhushan........i think ARR deserves a Padma bhushan for his excellent contribution in Promoting Brand "India" in the west........i think after his LOTR success, he should get one........

Amma has always been a admirer of ARR- Remember,calling him for Inaugural ceremony of Jawaharlal nehru stadium at Chennai.....she shuld recommend ARR's name for padma bhushan as well.......

aruvi
18th May 2005, 12:04 PM
Great news. Always happy to see good talent appreciated.

thumburu
23rd May 2005, 03:15 PM
Do you know that Kunnakudiji chose 22 verses from Ramalinga Adigal's work and composed for a dance drama called `Arul Adal' ?