PDA

View Full Version : recipe for macaroons

Vidya Pai
31st January 2005, 10:33 AM
Can someone give me a recipe for macaroons. All I know is they r made of egg whites and broken cashewnuts. The best ones r available at 'City bakery' in mangalore.

shakthi
31st January 2005, 11:47 AM
Hi there,

Actually I am not really sure what macaroons are :oops: - but the 2 recipes below are that from Mrs Mano's collection of recipes that someone had passed to me. Have not tried them but I'm sure, like the rest of Mrs Mano's recipes, these too will come out well. Happy baking!

ALMOND MACROONS:
Soak 50gms of almonds in boiled water for 30 minutes and then remove their outer skins. Then powder them coarsely. Or chop them finely. Apply a little butter in a baking tray and brush it with yr fingers so that it coats the whole tray. Then sprinkle some plain flour on it. Add 2 egg whites and 150gms of icing sugar to a bowl and place the bowl on flat vessel which is filled with boiling water to its half level. Beat well the contents of the bowl until the mixture thickens. Then add the almond mixture, mix well and pour it in the baking tray. Or you can spread the mixture to the desired shapes with the help of an icing nozzle. Then bake them in an oven for 10 minutes.

COCONUT MACROONS:
Beat 2 egg whites with ½ cup of castor sugar in a food processor. Pour this mixture in a pan and heat it slightly on slow fire. Then take off the mixture in a bowl, and mix in 11/2 cups of grated coconut, 1/4sp baking powder, 1/4sp vanilla essence, and 1/4tbsp of cream of tartar[optional]. The mixture should be in thick lumps. Bake in a slow oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

shakthi
31st January 2005, 11:50 AM
Gosh, Vidya, I just realized that your's is "macaroon" and the recipes that I have posted above is "macroon". Are both the same?!! I believe it's only a typo - right?

Vidya Pai
1st February 2005, 08:41 AM
Thanx Shakti for the recipes. I guess I'll try the almond macroons replacing the almonds with bits of cashewnuts.
the recipe looks fine, but only thing not mentioned is the oven temp. Guess i'll have to experiment.
reguarding the spelling I'm not really sure. But this is what I was looking for.