Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Methodology of acting - genres (perhaps?)

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Methodology of acting - genres (perhaps?)

Some time ago, someone came up with a nice dissection of the schools of acting beginning with the incomparable Nadigar Thilagam - this thread is to discuss all of the following:

1. Different schools of acting;

2. How different actors approached the same/above;

3. How different actors gave their own respective dimension to the above;

4. The role of the director/script writer in all of the above;

5. Role of body language;

6. Most importantly, the efforts an actor puts in towards preparation for a role;

Feel free to quote examples from all genres of cinema - Indian/regional, international etc..
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Example: "Raging bull" - one of the most stunning depictions of a real-life personality by an actor - Robert de Niro deservingly won an Oscar.. it was a coup of sorts, combination of extreme method acting plus spontaneous improvisations...de Niro apparently had to keep the film crew wait for several months to lose his lean/mean looks by going on a binge eating trip around Northern Italy and France going from (66 to 97 kg). Apparently de Niro bore the effects such as difficulty in breathing, and talking - thanks to the weight gain - talk of dedication!

"Nayagan" - Kamal Hassan who until that film always sported a moustache - got rid off it - and I recall a print interview from pre-Nayagan days, in which he discusses how he had to alter his weight-lifting/body-building regimen to include - deliberately - consumption of வேர்கடலை + முந்திரி - to bulk up to get that strange பூசிப்போன bulkiness of someone in his mid-late 40s/early 50s!
    I don't recall anyone else in Indian cinema having gotten into that kind of a preparation mode for a film based on the needs of the script - it was a first of its kind - a school of acting - probably pioneered by Kamal in the Indian context - if there were any before that, kindly correct me..
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123 View Post

"Nayagan" - Kamal Hassan who until that film always sported a moustache - got rid off it - and I recall a print interview from pre-Nayagan days, in which he discusses how he had to alter his weight-lifting/body-building regimen to include - deliberately - consumption of வேர்கடலை + முந்திரி - to bulk up to get that strange பூசிப்போன bulkiness of someone in his mid-late 40s/early 50s!
    "முந்திரி" .. is this Urid dal ? Though these type of foods are rich in Protein/Vitamin b12/ amino acids, one can not bulk just from food without a proper weight training program , IIRC during his teen times (during B/W films), he already started some kind of weight training .. agree he may have started this trend in TFI, but it is Salman khan who bought this body building trend in Indian Cinema AFAIK... now Vikram has followed Kamal's foot steps in this matter
    Last edited by PARAMASHIVAN; 23rd October 2015 at 02:55 PM.
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    MGR started the trend of body building for all actors.. but for character by charater ts kamal..kaaki sattai mainly made us to go to gym

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shwas View Post
    MGR started the trend of body building for all actors.. but for character by charater ts kamal..kaaki sattai mainly made us to go to gym
    But as far as professional body building is concerned .. these were the only actors who did it in a proper way ..Vikram (I), Surya (Vaaranam Aayiram) and Bharath (in some file)
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Post Thanks / Like
    profession body building is not hte topic bro...he is asking abt body language...if needed do body building for character and then another character makes them to lose weight..look less or tall height...show weak body..show sadness depression in their whole body...

https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans/...35838978842624

Salangai Oli:Ompuri,NShah,Azmi mesmerized
    Sippikul Muthu:Chiranjeevi, SmitaPatil & NanaPatekar told hes best #28YearsOfNayagan floored world

can sum1 get the exact words told by these other actors on his variation of all these iflms.. i luv different young, middle and old aged men in these films..no repetition..indian film showed young chandru..middle aged senapathy..old aged senapathy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shwas View Post
    profession body building is not hte topic bro...he is asking abt body language...if needed do body building for character and then another character makes them to lose weight..look less or tall height...show weak body..show sadness depression in their whole body...
    In that case it was Kamal and now Vikram .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    In that case it was Kamal and now Vikram .
    not only vikram..also ameer khan..suriya..

10. Likes Dammy R liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    true!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Freiburg, Fribourg, Switzerland, Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like
    // dig

is ajith and vijay involved in this topic ?

if not .. you can safely close it !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast